Speaker 1: That scary FBI juice jacking warning. Should you avoid public USB ports. There's yet another new streaming service, and it includes HBO, but not in the name. Amazon might charge you for your next return plus your tech questions? Answer what is going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer questions about technology, your questions about technology. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show. Phone lines are open at one eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology, email is also open. Send your email to hello at rich on Tech dot TV. I think about this stuff a lot, This self service economy I call it. It really came to me yesterday as I was counting bananas at the checkout at Target and typing in that little code off the banana I had to look up on the Target self checkout. They've got It's pretty simple. You press produce and then you look at a couple of pictures. If your picture's not there, you type in a couple letters of the produce that you ordered, and it really, I don't know why it got to me, it like really made me think I am a cashier at Target right now. I am my own cashier now. Don't get me wrong. When self service checkout first came out, I was the first person in line. And there are some places where I will use it, some places where I refuse to use it. Some of these grocery stores you go into, their system's not as good as some of the other ones. I actually think Target has probably one of the better self service checkouts. But you've been at the places where you know, you don't put the thing on the little bagging area and you get all these chimes, and the person has to walk over, they've got to scan something. It's a whole mess. So some of these places are not very good, But Target, I think is pretty good. But it kind of made me a little reflective of all of the things that I've become in my life. At the airport, you know, you check yourself in. You check yourself in right on your app. There's even places where you can tag your own luggage. That's pretty much the default at this point. I've never done that. I still I'm a holdout on the tagging my own luggage. But there's that's the option there. That's really what they want you to do. Let's see the hotel you go to. There are hotels where you can check in right from your phone, use your phone as a key, and bypass the front desk. I mean Airbnb and Sounder. Those are two sort of systems that do that. But Hilton lets you do that. Hyatt lets you do that. You don't even need to go to the desk anymore. Pumping gas the original self service. Now, I grew up in New Jersey, where it is illegal to pump your own gas. You cannot pump your own gas in New Jersey to this day. One of I believe two states, Oregon being the other one. In certain places I believe, I don't think it's all of Oregon, but I could be wrong. So let me know if it's all of Oregon or just places. I was there over the summer last year, and I'm trying to remember, now, did I pump my own gas or did someone pump it for me? I can't remember. Movie theater We went to the movies last night. We'll talk more about that later in the show we saw the Super Mario Brothers movie. But movie theater. Now, I'm old enough where I remember the old ways of doing everything right. You go to the movie, you'd look in the newspaper for the times number one. Then you'd stand in line outside the theater. You hope that they still had a seat for the movie that you wanted to watch, and you would go into the theater. Someone would take your ticket. Now you do it all from your phone. In fact, I bought too many tickets last night. I was able to return it ticket right for my phone. You get to the movie theater, they scan your ticket. They even give your cup to dispense your own drink. Now, as a kid, if you would have given me my own drink cup where I can pick. They've got this machine that lets you pick from like one hundred and fifty different drinks. That freestyle machine. I mean to be able to craft your own drink at the movie theater. These are the times we live in. In fact, this is something you really need to try. This is really cool. There is a QR code in that Coca Cola freestyle machine. You scan that with your phone, and now your phone becomes a remote control for that machine. You can dispense the soda from your phone. You tap the screen, it dispenses, you lift your finger up, it stops dispensing. It's magic. A lot of this stuff is magic. But it's also changing car washes. The car wash near me, they just change from fully automated, so the people are no longer there. You sign up for unlimited washes. You drive your car up to the thing, you scan a code, it washes your car. You drive out. Parking lots. The latest parking lots are all automated, and the best is the parking lots that scan your license plate. I know it's scary, but they scan your license plate and when you leave, you don't even need to put your ticket in. At the end, they know from your license plate that you already paid at the exit. They already tracked you as you came in, and they say, oh, this is Rich's license plate. Go ahead, have a good day. In Hawaii on vacation. The towel machine. This was the first time I saw this. Instead of going to an attendant for the towel, there was a machine. You scan your hotel room key, the machine door opens, you grab your towels, and what's to keep you from taking these towels from the hotel. Well, it says it has an RFID tracking tag in the towels. Now, I don't know if I believe that. Maybe they do. I don't know. When I was at the airport Panera, instead of walking up to the person ordering your salad, they had a bunch of touchscreen kiosks at CPK, same thing. You order your food from the touch screen and then someone makes it. They call your number. You're done at a table at a restaurant. I was at a restaurant, and this was during COVID, but it's still kind of a sign of the times. You know, you'd scan that QR code for the menu, but you'd actually take it a step further and just order your food from your phone and then a runner would bring it to your table. Now, I think we're going to see much more of that at these quick serve restaurants, something like a Chili's or at Applebee's, because people just want to get in there, they want to eat. And you know, I was a waiter at one point in my life and I loved it, that interaction with people. But now the whole name of the game is turning tables, cutting costs, and so technology will continue to evolve that situation. Simple interactions between humans have become unusual. You don't interact on a daily basis. If you're interacting with another person, that's unusual. Everything has become sort of what you're doing on your own. Companies are continuing to figure out a way to cut out the middleman, and they are. I've done reports on self service burger vending machines, self service pizza vetting machine, breakrooms at offices are now self service, mostly on your honor. Amazon. They're building entire stores that are self service. I've been in two of them. Just walk Out is their technology. You don't even have to check out. You grab what you want, It figures out who you are, it links it to you, and you'll walk out of the store. It actually works pretty well too. Sometimes it gets things wrong. If it does, you go on your app you say I didn't grab that jar of peanut butter, it gives you a credit for it. They have a seven to eleven store that's an Amazon store. It's called Amazon Go. Same concept. There's one person working the store at the exit and they're just there to kind of answer questions if you need them, but otherwise, you walk in, you grab your donut, you grab your coffee, you walk out. So let's see the things I've been in my professional life. In addition to a journalist, I've been a barista. I've made my own coffee at the Amazon Fresh store where it just has a machine. I've been an airline attendant, booking or checking in my own bags. I've been a grocery store clerk. I've been a fast food order taker at the Panera. I've been a pizza maker, at least on the app that lets me design the exact ingredients on the exact side of the pizza. I want gas station attendant, travel agent, researcher on Google, and much more. We rent movies from our TV screen, books from our Kindle screen, music from our phone screen, and food appears at our door magically thanks to contact delivery. Contactless delivery. You don't hail a cab anymore. You tap an app. You don't call four on one anymore. You search Google. We ask friends for recommendations, but we double check what they say on Yelp, just to make sure it's a place that we think we'd like. Human interaction has never been more meaningful or important. That's why I'm telling you this. I know that these ways are not coming back. You're not going to go stand in a line in a movie theater and buy a ticket face to face to a person anymore. That's just not the way we do it. We choose our seat, we choose exactly where we want to sit in the movie theater. We choose where we sit on the plane, We choose where we sit at the ballpark, at the stage, at the concert. These old ways of doing things are just not going to come back. In fact, we're going to continue to do even more on our own. The efficiencies because of technology are there, but the connections are gone. And that is my point. My point is why do you feel so good when you are sitting there on a Friday night or a Saturday night with your friends and family. Why? Because face to face time has never been more important than right now. We are doing so much on our own that when we actually get to sit there and be present with our friends and family, that is when we are truly human. And I love it, and believe me, I'm not saying that this technology is a bad thing. I'm just saying I am a little bit old enough to understand the changes that have happened in my lifetime and why we feel the way we do. You can text forever with a friend, but when you actually see them and catch up, you still have a million questions for each other. It's a beautiful thing. It's amazing, and I love it, both sides of it, all right. Coming up on today's show, we've got details on the replacement for HBO Max. Yes, they are ditching the HBO name. Plus, will Amazon charge you for your next return? I've got this simple way to answer that question and find out. And we've got some great guests this week. Dan Gooden of Ours Technica is gonna join me to explain if you should be concerned about that scary FBI juice jacking warning. Ben Fisher of Sports Business Journal is gonna explain NFL Sunday tickets, big move to the YouTube this year, and later friend of the show Matt Swider will tell you the best way to see the new Super Mario Brothers movie. But first it's your turn. We're gonna have your calls. Coming up next at Triple eight Rich one oh one, I'm rich Demiro, and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. My name is Rich DeMuro, hanging out talking technology with you. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. I don't think you realized just how much I enjoy coming in here and hanging out with you on the weekends talking technology. I really, really truly look forward to this. You can follow me on social media at rich on Tech. I'm on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Carol is up first. She's in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Oh hi Rich, Hi Coock. Question, So I have a laptop. It's an older one at Choshiba Satellite S fifty five fifty two sixty two. And I know you have given a good recommendation to take in to have the keyboard replace that you break it, I fix it or something like that. Sure, yep, went I went there, but I didn't have my laptop. I just wanted to check out the location. My problem is I'm computer literate enough to kind of transfer stuff on my external hard live. But do I need to do that or can I trust them if I read the stuff on? Or how much do I take off you know, I don't know enough to check if I take certain things off the laptop, if there's still other stuff still on there. Yeah, tax info or do you recommend that I need to just get a new I have to break down and get a new laptop or something.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I would never recommend getting something new when you can repair what you've got and it still works for you. So unless your laptop is totally you're just over it. I mean, so, for example, I've repaired two of my computers, and you know, the repairs were pretty expensive each time. I think they were like six hundred dollars. But the reality is a computer can last a very long time. And so if how much is this repair that you're looking.
Speaker 2: At, Oh, I went back in like December, like it was under two hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, so two hundred dollars. I mean, that's way cheaper than a new computer. Depends. So if this how old is this computer?
Speaker 2: It's probably at twenty seventeen. I'm just using an external keyboard because some of the keys started sticky oyes, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Log in sure sure, so it's not working properly.
Speaker 2: And then yesterday I was trying to use it for something and it wasn't working. But I just kind of kind of googled and stuff and says, did you like not update your computer with the word updates because sometimes that's annoying. So I went back and once I updated it, it worked immediately, so that could have been.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, so is it working or is it not working the keyboard?
Speaker 2: So it's working. It's working fine, except for the keyboard.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: So I still have a lot of ram on it and everything memory.
Speaker 1: So yeah. So the bottom line is if it's working for you and the computer is doing what you needed to do, I would probably spend the two hundred dollars and you know, in the meantime be planning your next computer, whether that's you know, five hundred, six hundred, one thousand dollars, and try to plan for that so that's not a surprise when it's time to upgrade. But for two hundred dollars, hopefully you get another, you know, two years out of this computer, let's say at least, and then of course it will still work afterwards. Maybe you can hand it down to someone install something like a Chrome os flex on it, which is like a chromebook kind of conversion software that doesn't need much to run. But first off, with your keyboard, if they just if they diagnose that it's actually a problem, that's fine, get it replaced. But before you do that, I would kind of give my computer a cleansing with some canned air. Just make sure you spray that kind of under the keyboard. Ninety nine percent of keyboard problems are chrumbs underneath the keys, and so I would just be gentle. But you can use a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a on a you know, just a very very light bit on like a cotton swab or a pad. Also, you can use like a wipe, but I would really ring it out because you do not want to put like a wet lisol wipe on your computer. That's super wet. I've done it before many many years ago, and it fried the key So do not do that. But you can gently put a moist you know, a very very light, lightly moistened toilet on there to kind of clean things up. Blow it off and see if that helps with the keyboard. If it doesn't, yes, So to answer your original question, before you bring this computer in, you want to full back above the hard drive and it's not about them necessarily snooping on your drive, but they may have to do things that impact your data. So do not give your password to anyone that is that is working on your computer. And if you do need to do that, make a separate account on your computer that they can log into if that becomes an issue. I brought my computer in one time. They know, they said, all right, what's your password for your computer? I was like, wait, I'm not giving you my password to my computer. That unlocks everything. I said, you got to work around that, and sure enough they were able to do that. But the reality is they may ask you to do it and you just say no or create a different account. I would also encrypt your hard drive before you send it in, and anything that you can offload to a different drive, like attacks. You know, anything you can put in the cloud, you can delete off your physical drive, but that's what I would do, and then back up the entire drive before you send it in, and that way you have an entire copy of your hard drive before you send it in. You can also log out of some of your accounts if you want, like log out of Google, log out of your main accounts on your web browser. Those are all good things to do. But these are all things that just make a lot of sense because you don't want this computer to be accessed in any way during the repair that you may get your files. And also at the same time, when they are accessing this computer, they may need to just pop out the drive or do some sort of formatting on that drive, and then you lose everything. So you just have to be prepared when you bring your computer in somewhere, you may not get it back in the same way that you send it in, and so you just need to know that all of your files may be gone when you get it back. So just if you have that in your mind and you're prepared for that, and you've got a backup, you'll be fine. But yeah, get it repaired to hundred bucks and you'll forget about it and then finally, in a couple of years you can get a new computer. Good question, Carol, Thanks a lot, all right. If you're returning something to Amazon, you might encounter a return fee. Amazon has started charging a return for some returns, and here's when they're gonna charge you. When they don't have a free option available in your area. These returns cost Amazon a lot of money. So if you're bringing it to a ups store and they've got an Amazon Fresh, a Coals or a Whole Food's near you, they may ask you for a one dollar return fee. So just keep that in mind if you're looking at your Amazon returns. Again, they're trying to make people return things less because people order a lot of stuff on Amazon and then they say, eh, I don't want this, I'm gonna return it, and that does cost Amazon money. And of course we know all tech companies are trying to save money right now, all right, Coming up next, we're gonna talk about juice jacking. You probably heard this scary warning from the FBI this week, right you shouldn't plug your phone into a publick USB port. I've got Dan goodin security expert at ours Technica. He's going to break it down and let you know can you safely plug in at the airport rich On Tech.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, Welcome back to rich On Tech. Joining me now is Dan goodin security editor at ours Technica. Dan, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 4: Hey, rich So let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about the story of the week, the scary FBI warning about juice jacking. FBI Denver put out a tweet that said avoid using free charging stations and airports, hotels or shopping centers. Ad actors have figured out ways to use public USB ports to introduce malware and monitoring software onto devices, Carry your own charger and USD cord and use an electrical outlet instead. Dan, you cover security for a living at ours Technica. What was your reaction when you saw this?
Speaker 5: Well, this is is kind of the old wives tale that comes up every eighteen months or so, and there is no evidence at all that these types of attacks are happening in airports or other types of public places. There's, in fact, no evidence that they're happening at all. You know, I can't I can't prove a negative, but you know, the burden is on them. They're making claims and they need to say how they know it, and you know, until then, I don't think people should pay much attention.
Speaker 3: Now, I've been covering checks for about ten years now, and I have never cited one report where I heard of this actually happening. But I've heard over the years the warnings about it, and so it's one of those things that when you hear this as an average person, you're now sitting there thinking, oh great, can I not plug into a public us B port? Is it not safe? Can you explain sort of? The FBI would tweet something like this.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, back in I don't know, twenty ten, two thousand and nine, maybe even a little bit later than that, iPhones and Android phones worked a lot differently. When you know, sometimes when.
Speaker 6: You would plug them into a computer, the computer would like immediately be able to you know, pull down files or do other types of things. Because both these platforms, you know, Android and iOS were pretty immature at the time, so you know there was a risk and hackers at hacker conferences would go and they bring fake uh you know, charging stations and they would actually do this kind of stuff, and you know it was at a hacker conference where that kind of stuff is pre game. So I you know, there was a risk at one time, but I would say in the last probably five years, basically all well certainly all iOS devices, all iPhones and iPads. I give you this very prominent uh you know pop up that wants that warns you what's about to happen and asks, you know.
Speaker 4: Do you want to let it happen? And you know, I think most people when they plug something in to get power and it suddenly says, you know, do you want to have your files access? You know, people say no, I don't.
Speaker 6: And Android it's a little bit different because you have so many different manufacturers that things can be different from phone to phone, but most of the you know, decent brands and up they also provide a very prominent warning, so you know, it's this isn't the easiest attack to for somebody to pull off.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking through Google News and this juice jacking story has pretty much gone viral, with every major media outlet saying that the FBI is warning against using public phone charge stations at airports malls, so don't I thought when I saw this that the FBI knew something that I didn't know. They saw an uptick.
Speaker 1: In this happening worldwide.
Speaker 3: And you're saying, that's just not the case.
Speaker 4: They didn't. I called the FBI and I asked them what their source was for all of this, and they said, oh, they directed me to the FCC and a page on the FCC dot gov website that had the same warning, and I, you know, they said, we don't really, you know, we don't know anything more than this is what the SEC is saying.
Speaker 6: So I called the SCC and I asked them pretty much the same questions, and they cited a two thy nineteen post from the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office that was, you know, warning of this thing, and that went up in twenty nineteen. It came down in twenty twenty one, about three weeks after my colleague at you know, our at tech Crunch, Zach Whittaker, reported that the LA District Attorney's Office had.
Speaker 4: Zero cases and that they were they had heard that there were cases on the East coast, but they couldn't point to them. They couldn't provide you know, law enforcement uh sources or anything that we could call and conferm it. So, you know, Zach went and reported this thing, and the LA District Attorney's Office goes and pulls it down. And here we are, uh, two years later, and we still have.
Speaker 6: The aftershocks of this thing, where people, you know, other law enforcement agencies keep on coming out and you know, spouting this nonsense.
Speaker 3: It seems a little irresponsible to me because we have enough to worry about with our smartphones, and we always hear about the dangers of you know, security in general and how we.
Speaker 4: Have to keep ourselves safe.
Speaker 3: So if there's something we don't have to worry about, why are they perpetuating this?
Speaker 4: What interest do they have in this? I think they want, you know, if your tax dollars at work. Quite frankly, I think they just want to look like they're trying and doing something. I don't think they have impure motives. I don't think, you know, I just think that, you know, so many people don't really know how to keep people safe online, and so they just say, you know, little platitudes or things that they've heard other people say. You know, they don't really know. And you know, the fact of the matter is is that humans are not good in general at assessing risk in a realistic way. We're very scared.
Speaker 6: About things that we hear happen on the news, even though the probability of them is very low. And then you know, the same people who are worried about these exotic risks are not wearing a seatbelt. They're doing things that are be much better worse for their security. So, you know, I mean, people need to think about their security, but they do not need to worry about a charging station.
Speaker 4: You know at the movie figure.
Speaker 3: What about these sort of accessories like a USB data blocker or a charge only cable. Do you even think that people need to do that or to carry their own portable battery? Do you think people need to do any of that?
Speaker 6: No, I mean I don't if I know people who do it. I know people who use these, you know, they call them USB condoms and things. It has just the charging portion of the court. It does not have the part that carries data. You know, they don't cost a lot. If it makes you feel better, by all.
Speaker 4: Means, get one. But I don't use one, and most of the people I know probably don't. So there's it's there.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Again, there are real threats out there, but these charging stations are you know, juice jacking is not one of them.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're talking with Dan Goodin security editor at Ours Technical. So, Dan, you said there are some real threats to people out there.
Speaker 4: What should the.
Speaker 3: Average person be concerned about when it comes to their security on their phones and digital devices?
Speaker 4: Well, two things first is update your device, make sure that you're running the latest available firmware, whether it's you know, Android or iOS, and do it religiously.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't have to update if the day it comes out, but you know, certainly within a week you should. You should never be running you know, you know Android or iOS, you know three or four versions earlier.
Speaker 4: So that's the first thing. The second thing is, you know, get your password house in order. But everybody I know has really bad password hygiene. They use the same password everywhere, They use weak passwords, things that are pretty easy to guess.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Really what people need to do is is do a little bit of research on something called a password manager and get one and use it and generate a separate password for every account they have. So you know, like a couple good password managers. One would be one password, this is one password and the other is a bit ward. So yeah, those are the two biggest things that people can do.
Speaker 3: But don't worry about the juice jacking. Charge your charge your phone at the airport without a worry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, absolutely all right.
Speaker 3: Dan Good and security editor at Ours Technica, Thanks so much for joining me today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Great talking to you.
Speaker 3: Rich all right, you're listening to rich on Tech. More of the show and your calls at Triple eight. Rich one on one after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email is also open. Hello at richon tech dot tv is the email address to send it to. Let's go to Diane in Pineland, Texas. Diane, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Good morning or good afternoon. I have a desktop computer that was rebuilt and purchased it in twenty eighteen. It's running on Windows ten. I can't do it to Windows eleven update. But I'm sitting here at my desk and it keeps coming on by itself and turning off by itself.
Speaker 1: What and you're not touching anything on it?
Speaker 7: No, it just comes on for about two to five seconds and goes off.
Speaker 1: And what uh okay, so this is running Windows ten and what is it doing when it turns on?
Speaker 7: It just comes on. I don't have the monitor on, so it just comes on and it goes on.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you hear kind of like the hard drive spinning up and it kind of makes a fan sound and then it goes back off.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think it's got a.
Speaker 1: Demon Well, it could have you tried. Okay, so a couple things here. How when this only started once you got it fixed?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 7: No, it just started in the last month.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: It needs to do its Windows eleven update, but it doesn't have the proper equipment to do it, so I keep delaying the Window's eleven update.
Speaker 1: Now, what do you mean it doesn't have the proper equipment. It doesn't have the specs that you need.
Speaker 7: Yes, it doesn't have a specs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's what I would do to get the demon out of this machine. Okay, so this is what I would the the steps I would take is, first off, I would go through and I assume that they're I assume your computer's waking up to do something, and so it's probably a program that is trying to reach out onto the Internet and when it wants to do that. Since this is the desktop, it's pretty much always on. It's just kind of spinning up and it's checking whatever it needs to check, and then it's going back into its hibernation mode. So first off, I would make sure that you have all of your updates that you can install in this computer, make sure it's up to date, restart it, and then I would go through and I would uninstall any program that I do not recognize. So go into the programs directory and just uninstall anything that you don't recognize. You don't need any programs that you might have added in the last couple of weeks that this started happening with, and just get rid of those. Then I would restart my computer once again. If it's still happening, I would go into the sleep basically the sleep settings on your computer. You have Windows ten, so go into settings and then it's under power and sleep and so in those settings, you'll see that there's a couple of ones that are probably the most prominent, which is screen, So that's going to say how long it takes before the screen turns off, you know, goes dark after you stop using it. And then sleep will say how long your device will stay up before it goes to sleep. And then if you really want to see all of the settings, go into the additional power settings and kind of take a look through all of those things. And there are settings for you know, where it wakes up on network, where it wakes up to do things. So go into all of those settings and make sure they all look right. And then if this continues to happen at that point, I'm not sure. So I do know that computers do wake up to do things every once in a while, install updates and things like that, and maybe a computer program is on there that wants to do something. So that's those are the steps that I would take, and I think that's probably going to fix your situation. Now. If your computer is going to sleep when you don't want it to, there are little programs that can keep your computer awake even though you don't want it to be awake. I've got one online called aptly called Amphetamine, and when I click this on, for instance, right now, I turn it on before I start the radio show, and I say, do not go to sleep. And I can set it for indefinitely, minutes, hours, and all kinds of different things, but I set it for about three hours the time of the show, so my computer does not go to sleep at all the entire time I'm on the air. And then there's other times when I'm uploading something to dropbox, I may want it to continue that upload without going to sleep, and so I'll just say, hey, stay on for the next hour. But there are third party apps that can help you do that. They often have names like caffeine, caffe e, and petamine, So think drugs that keep you awake, and you might be able to find the programs to install in your computer that do that. But Diane, I don't think your computer is possessed, although these computers sometimes do feel that way. So good question, and thanks for calling in, Toda. I do appreciate that. All right, let's talk about the latest streaming service to grace the streaming waves. It is called Max. This is from Warner Brothers and Discovery. So if you have HBO Max, yes, you will be getting access to a new streaming service starting May twenty third. It's just called Max. What's it going to have all kinds of stuff HBO original shows, Warner Brothers movies, Max Originals, that's the stuff from the original HBO Max, the DC Universe, Harry Potter, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery Channel, tlc ID which is very very popular, the crime stuff people love that programming. That will all be on Max. Now they used to have HBO Max and Discovery Plus. This is pretty much e merging of those two streaming services, which, by the way, I don't think they've given a date for both of those to go away just yet. But if you have HBO Max currently, you'll get access to Max at your same price, at least for now. HBO Max launched on May twenty seventh, twenty twenty. It feels like it was just yesterday and now already this is kind of merging into or morphing, i should say, into something else. So three pricing options for the new Max the ad LTE version, which means you're gonna have ADS with your programming. That's nine to ninety nine a month or one hundred dollars for the year. And I would recommend if you can, if you can do it, pay in advance for the whole year, because if you're going to be subscribing to this for a while over time, you will save a lot of money. It's like eight thirty a month versus ten bucks, and it's a dollar sixty every month. Two concurrent streams for that ten eighty resolution, no offline downloads which means if you're flying on a plane, you can't bring this with you. And five point one surround sound. Now, if you want to upgrade to the next plan, it's called Max AD free. That's sixteen dollars a month or one hundred and fifty dollars for the year that gives you two streams at once, ten eighty resolution, thirty downloads offline, and five point one that's actually a little bit worse than what you're currently getting, and they only guaranteed if you're currently paying for that sixteen dollars a month with HBO Max, that you're only going to get that for six months guaranteed before they have the option to change it to this lesser plan that's not as good for the same price you're paying, by the way, because right now you're getting three streams plus four K plus ATMOS, so that's gonna be downgraded if you want those things. Guess what you're going to be paying more for the ultimate ad free plan, which is twenty dollars a month or two hundred dollars a year, that gives you four streams at the same time, four K resolution, one hundred off line downloads Dolby atmost. So again, you're only guaranteed if you're a subscriber right now, to get your current features for six months following launch. But this is the thing, they're going to have more than forty new titles and seasons every month. That's a lot of programming they're really taking on Netflix right here, things like Harry Potter, a prequel to the Game of Thrones, a new comedy series from the folks behind Big Bang Theory, or I Guess the World of Big Bang Theory, Magnolia Networks, Fixer Upper, The Hotel, TLC's Love and Translation, a whole bunch of stuff. But again, this all starts on May twenty third. If you have HBO Max, you don't need to change a thing. You just need to know that on May twenty third you may have to download a new app called Max. I'm not sure if they're just gonna morphit into Max, but it sounds like right now you're gonna have to download a new app and kind of switch over. All of your history and watch list will switch over to the new the new streaming service. But again, just so many changes with this stuff. It's tough to keep up with it because there are many many changes all right, coming up more of your calls at Triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to Rich on Tech KFI Am six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Welcome back to rich on tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Email also open hello at rich on tech dot tv. Did you know you can also listen to this show as a podcast. Be sure to subscribe. Just go to my website rich on tech dot tv. Click the podcast icon. There are show notes and links to everything I mentioned.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: This week, I upgraded my smart home because Google finally came out with the feature I have been waiting for forever, and that is support for motion sensors. This is something that was supported by Apple's Home Kit and also Amazon's you know, I don't want to say the word a alex a platform, and so you've been able to do motion sensing with all of those platforms, but Google never natively supported it. And so I just happened to look inside the Google Home app and I was like, let me take another look here, and sure enough, you can now do routines based on motion. So I went through and it ruined my whole day. I just went through and started redoing everything because I've got certain lights I want to come on when you walk by a motion sensor turn off when you're you know, forget to turn them off. All that good stuff. So if you've got Google Home and you've been waiting for motion sensor support, it is now there. I don't know when it came to the app or when it came to the system, but it's there. And all of these home smart home systems are getting a lot better thanks to something called Matter and Thread. So Matter is this new standard that is really phenomenal because it is now a standard across Amazon, Google, and Apple, which means if you buy a device like a plug or a light, they will now work with all and Samsung by the way, they will work with all of those different smart home platforms, which is really really cool because if you start with Apple and you get all the stuff that's Matter, and then you say, eh, I'm switching Android, I'm switching a Google, you can now switch all of your smart home stuff over to Google. Or if you say I'm starting with alex A, you know, Amazon's platform, and then you want to switch over to Google, you can do that. So it's really smart that all of these big companies have come together and said, okay, fine, we will all decide on one standard. That works with everything. And I set up my first Matter smart plug yesterday and it worked like a charm. You just scan a QR. It actually found it as soon as I opened the app. I plugged it in, opened up the Google Home app and I said, Hey, do you want to set up this plug? I said yes, And you scan a QR code on the plug and it is set up very very quickly. So thank you tech companies for actually working together for once. We live in so many silos with this tech stuff that it's refreshing when stuff works together. All right, Phone lines open triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one, John and mission Viejo. You're on the line. Welcome to rich on Tech.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you for taking my call. I have a desktop. It's an all in one Lenovo. It's running eight point one, and what I'm trying to do is to avoid buying a brand new one so that way I can run Windows eleven. So I was wondering if I can install Windows eleven on my current all in one and just get rid of eight point one all together. So I need to know where I can find my system requirements for Windows eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they used to have a website that you can go to and check, but it does not run on Windows eight point one. So you can look at the specs, but you can't do the automatic system checker that they have for the rest of the computers. Now, is your computer giving you a message that you can upgrade to Windows ten?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, have you tried upgrading to Windows ten in the settings? Does it give you that option when you go to your update settings?
Speaker 10: I don't know. I would have to look.
Speaker 1: Okay, So first thing I would do, probably the easiest thing, is to migrate to Windows ten first, and then once you it's kind of like a leaping or climbing a ladder. First you want to get to ten, and then you can jump to eleven. You can leap frog ten and go directly to eleven, but it's a lot more complicated and your computer may not support this. How many years old is this computer?
Speaker 10: Oh? My goodness, probably about three to four years.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not that old. I mean that's in computer world. That's not I mean, yes, it's older, but it's not like ten years. So there are some basic requirements for Windows eleven that are different from Windows ten. Is there a reason why you want Windows eleven versus Windows ten. Is it just because it's newer?
Speaker 10: Yes? And the EOL, as you told me before for Windows ten, is going to end in a couple of years anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean you still get I think it's like twenty twenty five, so you still got a good, you know, two and a half years to go. I think, I don't I don't know the exact let me say Windows Windows ten end of life. It is October fourteenth, twenty twenty five, so you've got, you know, two and a half years to go, So I would okay, So what I would do is I would first see if this computer can get to Windows ten from the native kind of Windows Update screen, and that's going to be the easiest way. Once you get to Windows ten, you can keep everything updated if you If it works with Windows ten, that's great, And if it can't go to eleven, that's fine. You still got two and a half more years ahead of you to plan for a new system. The main thing about Windows eleven is there are two things that it requires that are a little bit trickier, and it comes to security, and so it's a system firmware that is a secure boot capable, which is like a next level thing that some of the older computers didn't have. And then this TPM Trusted Platform Module version two point zero, and again a lot of the older computers didn't have that. So your computer may or may not have those things. It's not easy to check to see if you have those unless you can go to Windows ten and then you can do the Windows eleven checker. But I would try to go to your settings, your software update settings and see if Windows ten can run, and then get there and then see if it gives you the option for Windows eleven, and then go there. If you cannot run Windows ten or eleven on this computer, you may want to install something called Chrome os flex. Have you heard of that?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: I have not.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of a chromebook?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So basically this will turn this computer into a chromebook. And what that means is that you'll get access to pretty much all of the things you can do on a chromebook, which is pretty much a glorified web browser. But unless you're running anything special, do you do anything on this computer besides the web?
Speaker 10: No? Just web and some financial stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean you're probably using mostly web applications. So if you can't get to Windows ten or eleven on this computer, you can still squeeze a lot of life out of it by installing Chrome os Flex. It's pretty easy to install. It works on a wide variety of computers, both Mac and PC, and the installation when I did it, you can run it right off a USB drive and it's pretty simple, and it's free. By the way. It's put out by Google. So I haven't tested it in a while because I tested it when it first came out and I just wanted to see how it runs. It was a little bit choppy and flaky, but it's been a couple of years now and I think things have gotten better, so I would look into those things. So you've got your list now, Jean, of things you got to do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just may. I just may go ahead and just buy a whole news.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, don't buy the new system. Try look. The number one thing to do is just go to Windows type, you know, press the Windows key and then type in or navigate to Windows Update. See what it gives you there. If it gives you the Windows ten option, then you can upgrade to Windows ten very easily, and then you can just stop and take a breather. Take a breather for six months, and then you can check out and see if you can go to Windows eleven. There's no need to go to Windows eleven right now. And if none of those things work, just go to the Chrome, Google Chrome os Flex and if you're comfortable with downloading software to USB drive, I guarantee you can get this installed in your computer. And if all those things don't work, yes, then you can find yourself at the store and get a new computer. But try to give this computer some new life.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, John, thanks for listening there, and miss Mission Vieho do appreciate that, okay. So let me just give you an update on this whole Western Digital hacking situation. So Western Digital I talked about a couple weeks ago that their systems were down. You couldn't access the cloud on all their drives, all their connected drives. I got a message from Western Digital that the online services are back up and running. So if you have Western Digital, MyCloud or a sand disc eb you can get back into your drives. From the web. So that's the good news. The bad news is the hackers that did this say they've got about ten terabytes of stolen data from the company, including a whole bunch of customer information, according to tech Crunch, and they want Western Digital to pay them a minimum of eight figures in exchange for not publishing the stolen data. What does this mean for you? It means that immediately you should be changing your password for anything Western Digital related, and you should also be taking sort of an account of what you have stored in your Western Digital drives and just know that there could be a potential breach of some of those files. Will it happen, We don't know, but you have to kind of see what you have. If it's just your pictures and things like that, okay, not the end of the world. Obviously, we store a lot of stuff in our photo collections, so it could be pictures of your driver's license, social scurity number, all that stuff. There's a potential for this stuff to get out. Western Digital has not said what these hackers have. Neither have the hackers, so we don't know the extent of this data breach, but it's just good to know about it. And take stock of what you have stored on these drives, because that's the important part, is just knowing what you have there. So if you know what you have there, you change your passwords. That's really the best you can do right now. There's not much more you can do, but it's just to be aware of this situation, because that's the important part right there, all right. Coming up on the show, we are going to talk about NFL Sunday ticket for the first time, it is going to YouTube. What does that mean for football fans. We're gonna talk about that in a little bit. Plus I'm gonna tell you how to save old voice messages off your voicemail plus your calls triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech Coming. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. If you're curious about what I do on TV, you can watch my TV segments on a variety of tech topics. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv for the latest links. So TV during the week radio on the weekends. Coming up, we are going to talk about NFL Sunday ticket first time in history. You can watch it on YouTube. Now it's not gonna be free, but i'll explain. We've got a guest, Ben Fisher of Sports Business Journal. He's going to join us coming up next to talk all about NFL Sunday Ticket. So I mentioned before the break, got an email from Mike. Mike writes in at Hello at richontech dot TV. Hey, I was hoping you would know how my wife and I could save old voice messages off our old phone recorder, hoping you might have a recommendation who could digitally capture the recordings. So it depends that if it's an old phone recorder, I assume it does not have any sort of audio out jack. If it did, be pretty easy just plug a cable in out from the jack into your computer and press record on your computer, play the old messages, and you've got it. I assume that's not the case because you're emailing me, so it sounds much more complicated. And I assume there is no way to get these voicemails off of there easily. So what I would do is a couple of things. And I get this question very often when it comes to smartphones and people always want to know, how do I save? It's kind of a sentimental voicemail, and on Android and iOS it's very very easy. So if you use the Visual Voicemail app, which it's built into iPhone and on Android it's typically built in, or you can download it from your provider if you have Cricket or Mint Mobile whoever, they usually have their own standalone visual voicemail apps. So you download the app and then usually the app on Android has a share button, so you get to the message you want to save and you press share and then you can share it out wherever you want. It'll share the recording, so you can share that to a cloud drive. I would share it. You could share it to your email address, whatever you want, but that's one way. And then on iOS, same thing. When you tap into the voicemail on your phone, tap into it, press the I or sorry, just tap into the voicemail itself and then you'll see an arrow up near the top. That's the share arrow. You press that share arrow and it says audio recording and you can now share that however you want, share it to a cloud drive, whatever you want to do. Now if your phone is old school it has a three point five millimeter jack, a headphone jack, it's even easier. Well, I guess not easier, it's just you can do it a different way. But you can take that and plug a you know, just get like an audio cable three point five to three point five and plug that jack into your computer, into the headphone jack, and just record the voicemail into your computer. And on Mac you can use something like QuickTime. On Windows, you can use a voice recorder. And if you have a newer phone you want to do this, you might need a converter, so like a little adapter. So if your phone does not have a headphone jack and you want to save those messages, you might need to get like a USB C to three point five millimeter converter or a lightning to three point five. But if you need those, you'd probably have a modern smartphone, so you don't really need to use those adapters. You would just use the voicemail app like I mentioned. Now, the final way, and I think, Mike, this is the way that you're going to have to do it is good old fashioned speaker phone. So just play the audio off the phone recorder on the speaker and just put your smartphone next to it and press record and that's it. I mean, the audio quality is not going to be perfect, but it's going to be better than losing the message. So those are many, many ways of doing this. And yes, again, the easiest way is if you have a modern smartphone. It's very, very easy to save the audio from that smartphone. Let's go to Linda in Orange County, California. Linda, you are on with Rich. How can I help?
Speaker 9: Yes, good morning, Rich, Thank you so much for taking my call. I should have made this call lot many, many many years ago, twenty and fourteen at five am in the morning. I'm listening, that's the key word, because I'm a person that's blind to you talking about the smart speakers a miss a, and I thought, gosh, this sounds really fabulous. And I start calling my friends and my friends that are visually impaired and blind, letting them know this is an amazing new tool. We've got to buy this. And so I talked to my husband. He said, that's Amazon Prime. I'm not paying you know, an extra ninety nine dollars or whatever it was at the time for Amazon Prime just for you know something that you want, and I'm thinking, gee, all my other friends are getting this and I want it, and blah blah blah. So I finally call Amazon and they said, you know, we didn't even realize that there were so many people with low vision or total blindness that are thinking about using our smart speaker for what it is that they want to know. So I need to say thank you, honest to goodness. Eventually did get my smart speaker, and I still have the original and it's just been a fabulous tool and it has grown and developed, just like you know, all the other wonderful smart accessible tools. So my first of all, I just want to say thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I think I love that you remember the date that I change your life. I'm taking a lot of credit here, but I love that you remember that it was twenty fourteen May.
Speaker 9: So well I asked it. I asked miss A before I called it, just so I would have that information. So what I'm asking you is if you would implement it. Doesn't have to be every week, might be once a month some sort of new accessible tool that a person with visual impairment might be able to use. I must say I am very involved with the Brill Institute. They have workshops, they have it people.
Speaker 1: Before you get cut off, I've got to go to break. But I love the suggestion one hundred percent. I agree, and I do try to keep this into consideration with both TV and radio. But Linda, because of what you said, I will always keep it top of mind. Okay, I really appreciate the call. We're gonna come back and talk NFL Sunday ticket on YouTube. You're listening to rich on Tech eight and eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech rich DeMuro Here. Rich on tech dot tv is the website we are talking technology. You can give me a call triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one if you have a question about technology, or give me an email hello at rich on tech dot Tv. Joining me now is Ben Fisher. He covers all things sports and NFL at Sports Business Journal.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 10: Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Uh So, I heard you told you said it was going to be nice in New York this weekend.
Speaker 4: Is it not as nice as anticipated? But it's not actually raining yet and I'm still wearing shorts, So we're going to call it a win. Okay, New York standards.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good, that's good. We've been having my parents live out in New Jersey and they think they had They said they had like a ninety degree day yesterday or something like that, or the day before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been strangely hot. Yeah, so it's a little bit off as high as today, but still pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, it's been cold and rainy in California. Okay, so let's talk about the big announcement this week. Everyone was wondering what YouTube was going to do with NFL Sunday ticket. How much did they pay? Do we ever hear how much they paid for this?
Speaker 4: Two point two billions is the number for houp up from Direct TV one point five.
Speaker 1: An Okay, so that's every year two point two billion dollars a year. Yes, that's like an insane amount of money.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the NFL, and they have decided that they are that important to people and they for the longest time, we were skeptical they could get an increase over the one five because DirecTV said for a long time that, you know, the economics didn't really make sense for them, and that's why it was out for open bids. So there's a lot of skepticism. It took them a long time to get this fuel done, and you know, I never bet against the NFL getting their money, but for the longest time, it seems like nobody wanted to pay more than DirectTV was. Then Google YouTube came in and sure did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it looks like YouTube is bringing in like almost thirty billion for Google every year, so I guess they can afford it all right. So the announcement is that NFL Sunday Ticket will be on YouTube TV. But you don't even have to subscribe to YouTube TV. You can get it on YouTube as well through their new service called Primetime Channels. So this is also the first time that it's available without a satellite dish. So can you explain kind of like where we stand with this this here, Well.
Speaker 4: That's a big, big change for the user experience the direct TV because you know, obviously nineteen ninety four one direct TV or when when Sunday Ticket was created, satellite was the way to do something like this. Honestly, for ten years now, to least people in you know, with high speed internet and thought satellite was behind the time. It's you know, we all know you can't get satellite if you're in a big apartment accomplex. There's lots of inherent limitations on it. So this is frankly long overdue as far as getting it over to a broad brand broadband streamer in terms of making it more available and doing all the things that we expect modern video distribution to be able to do. But it's not without its costs too. There's other questions that are raised by switching off something that you know, for better or worse, is at least really is established a mature technology, and you know, live sports on broadband at scale is still a bit of a you know, questionable proposition on just how well it works. But clearly this is coming to everyone wanted to happen for some time.
Speaker 1: Okay, But the big question is if you know satellite was easy because it was connected to your TV, you already knew how to access it. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of people that have maybe don't don't really know how to access this on their TV. So especially if they don't have YouTube TV. I guess they have YouTube many people, But you know, I'm just thinking of someone like, you know, my mom may not know or my dad may not know how to get this on their TV. So how will people access this?
Speaker 13: Well, that is part of the problem with that was all of sports going over the street that even people that know their way around their TV interface, like you know, it's a little bit harder to get.
Speaker 4: To Amazon Prime or whatever Thursday night. And if you've got YouTube TV, I mean a lot of people speak really highly about that is effectively replaced in the old cable bundle and you might have that integrated into your smart TV, or you can just go on to your laptop and go to YouTube and we'll watch it there to the Prime channels. I think you hit on something, just like the nuts and bolts of watching this is more complicated, and we all know that, like there's a thousand different smart TV in our faces, so you know exact I wouldn't even be able to tell you exactly how to do it because there's so many variables involved with how your particular setup is working. And that's that's part of the thing they've got to fight through on this.
Speaker 1: I think part of it is pushing people to YouTube TV, but almost needlessly because yes, I have YouTube TV. It's very simple. If I sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket, it'll just integrate itself into my program guide. But you don't need that. You can actually just get this as a channel through YouTube, which sounds weird because this is a brand new feature as well. So people don't even you know, they're not they're not even understanding the concept of the fact that you can subscribe to something through YouTube, and so I think a lot of people will probably needlessly subscribe to YouTube TV and pay that extra you know, seventy five bucks a month whatever they're charging now just to get this NFL Sunday ticket before let's let's talk the pricing now, So, uh, do you want to rattle off the pricing? Do you know it off the top of your head or you want me to do it?
Speaker 4: Well, Anticipating this moment, I went back to see my tweets from Tuesday morning. So for a baseline Direct TV Sunday ticket with two eighty nine a year, this is going to be anywhere from two forty nine to four to forty nine, depending on whether you've got Sunday or you've got YouTube TV already. There discount's involved. If you're a subscriber before June.
Speaker 1: And six, Okay, so, uh.
Speaker 4: It's going to be more expensive, but if you're a subscriber any sign up before June and six, it will be slightly less expensive.
Speaker 1: So if you're a YouTube tv member already, you can get this for two forty nine for this season. That's one hundred dollars off the regular price of three forty nine. And that is until I think you just said this, June sixth, So if you get it right now, you can get that deal now. If you want Sunday ticket with red zone, that is three nine or two eighty nine during the pre sale or three eighty nine after that. And then if you just want it all by itself, let's see, do I have the price for that? That is three forty nine or four forty nine after June sixth, and then if you want the red zone, it's three eighty nine versus forty nine. So again, even though this is somewhat simpler, it's still confusing because how much was it with Direct TV?
Speaker 4: Well, it's two eighty nine on top of whatever you were already paying for Direct TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, So theoretically, if you're getting this on its own with the primetime channels for three forty nine. That's pretty good because you don't you can just not pay anything else on top of that, which is which is actually a deal because you don't have to pay the DirecTV you know, the base plan whatever you had to pay there before.
Speaker 4: Right, Which which is interesting because very business justification for YouTube, Google, Google YouTube doing this is to drive subscriptions, like they definitely want you to find Sunday Ticket to be a path to YouTube TV subscriptions. So I don't think, look well them to do this without some way of buying it on its own to the primetime channel. But the idea here this works out well, that just works out best for YouTube if you become a YouTube TV subscribe, right.
Speaker 1: And my feeling is, and by the way, you might want to move just a little bit where we're losing your signal. My feeling is that YouTube is specifically going to promote more of the TV part of this, because you're right, it gives them an extra seventy five dollars a month for people who may not know that they can subscribe to this through YouTube, and YouTube has an app for almost every single thing out there, so you'd be able to get this on pretty much any device you can think of. Now, YouTube TV will give you some other things like the DVR storage, the recommendations, the key plays, the fantasy data, real time stats, you know, all those abilities. So there's a lot more that I think the YouTube TV brings you, But we'll see. So what do you think? What's your kind of final consensus on this whole thing. Do you think this is a good thing? You think people are ready for this change?
Speaker 4: Well, like I said at the top, I think switching from satellite technology to broadband streaming is long overdue. It's hardly perfect, but satellite had so many problems. I mean, you know, I couldn't even get satellite my apartment complex for a long this time. So and I understand not everyone's got realized with broadband, but I'd say, on balance, this makes it more available to more people. I think the streaming technology allows the you know, the real time stats integration. I think there's something to advertise with integration with NFL dot com where you can sort of you know, watch it, but also integrate with like real time with with stats and fantasy and you know, and like you even hear people talk about, you know, NFL sponsors like Budweiser or bud Light and PEPSI you know, be able to you can get you refill your beer with one click through a through a streaming and that stuff obviously would be fantasy and satellite. So it's better from a technological standpoint. I still think the economic so the out of market package is really tough here because I'm a football fan. I cover the NFL for a living, and I still think, I don't know, that's a lot of money for the out of market games. I mean, all the best games by definition on the national TV anyway, So I guess it's certainly better on stream, and I still think there's some fundamental questions about the pricing. And you know who exactly this is for. You've got to be a pretty die hard fan, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: You got to be a die hard fan that lives in a city that you're still following a team in your old city because you know, thanks to the way these economics are still working out, you still don't get the games that are being played in your own city, which is to me the biggest issue with this whole situation, and one that Apple has figured out with the MLS because they're doing everything without sort of blackouts. And so that's really what we need next in NFL. Perhaps, Ben, we'll see that next time I.
Speaker 4: Talk to you. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, it's hard to say where this all goes. I think the NFL loves being an old fashion and broadcast over the air TV because that's still the best way to reach the most people. But you know, that's a chice they make because that's that's a different economic model than going through like MLS and Apple is doing. And you're right, that solves a lot of problems because you have no questions about MLS games if you just sign up with Apple these bags, right, And that's the simplicity goes a long way and the complicated internet subscription based dealing experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with two point two billion dollars on the line every year, they've got to figure out to make sure this is all all worth it and they preserve the income that they're they're generating off of these games that are both on streaming and of course regular TV. Ben Fisher of Sports Business Journal, We're going to leave it there. Thanks so much for joining me today, Thanks for having me all right, appreciate it all right, Coming up next, we are going to take more of your calls at triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you have a question, give me a call. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you about LinkedIn, how you can verify yourself to say who you are, make sure you are who you say you are and where you work. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. Yep, this is my all time favorite song. Love that song. All right, let's talk about LinkedIn. Do you love LinkedIn? I don't know. I'm kind of I'm kind of like eh about LinkedIn. I'm sure people get jobs from LinkedIn and get kind of figure out stuff, but it's never really been that valuable or useful to me except for researching folks. So if I want to talk to someone in an interview or whatever for you know, one of my programs, it's great, but you know, I find that some people don't update it, so I mean it's good. But the main thing about LinkedIn that kind of bugs me is that when you want to contact someone, it's like you have all their information about them, but not a way to necessarily contact them. And sure LinkedIn gives you like a little place where you can message them. But who checks their LinkedIn messages? I certainly don't, so I mean maybe people do. I don't know. Maybe that's why I'm not getting value out of LinkedIn because I'm not checking my messages. But we know that there is a problem with fake people and bots and all these things on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram. LinkedIn has always been a place where pretty much if someone's on there, they're real. But there's also a lot of scams on LinkedIn. People get scammed by, you know, job things and offers and people trying to get them to do a job and it's not real and it's just trying to get their information. So you do have to be careful on LinkedIn, and I think LinkedIn knows that. And so they are now rolling out three new ways to verify your identity and where you work. And unlike the new identity verification programs on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook, this is totally free. So a couple ways to do this. Number One, you can verify your identity with clear. These are the same folks that you see at the airport. You can now you know, they've got this technology that helps identify who people are, and so they're going to put that same technology to work right here on LinkedIn. So beginning this month, you can display on your profile that you've verified with Clear, and all you have to do is upload your ID government issued ID, which I don't know if i'd be feel secure doing that, and your US phone number. So you basically take a selfie and submit your ID and they link them up and then your phone number and now you can say, hey, I'm verified by Clear. Second way is company email. This seems a lot easier in my opinion, So you can put your company email into LinkedIn and it will kind of go on the back end verify since obviously you can receive an email and a confirmation at that email that okay, this person actually works at this company. And so they say this is available right now to fifty million members on LinkedIn and four thousand companies that it works with. I have not tested this with my work email, so I think that's a good way to do it. The only downside to that is that if you're not with your you know, with a big company, or you're on your own or your freelance or you leave that company, it could be kind of tricky. So that's one way. And then the final way is this Microsoft Intra, and I guess Entra is some sort of verified ID platform that Microsoft offers to companies, And that's probably the least useful because I don't think many people I've never even heard of Microsoft Entra, but that's kind of something that I'm guessing they sell to companies that participate in it. And then if you're in there and you know who you are, if your company participates in that verified ID platform, you can use that to verify your LinkedIn. So again, this is all about giving people confidence, according to LinkedIn, to know that you're connecting with the person that they say they are and that they're trusted. And again I've heard people say like this, you could be a problem on LinkedIn, especially if you're looking for like remote jobs. People may ask you a whole bunch of stuff and they turn out to be bogus. So just be aware of that and be careful of that kind of thing. We were talking about NFL going to YouTube, but if you have Google TV, they're adding more than eight hundred free channels. Eight hundred free channels on Google TV. This means if you have a Chrome Cast with Google TV or one of these Google TV boxes, you've got eight hundred free TV channels. So I've talked about this on the show before, Free ad supported television. This is the fastest growing area of streaming, and in fact, the acronym is fast free ad supported TV. It's basically old school TV, except now streaming, which means you just have ads that you can't skip. And so people are sick of paying for streaming services, and so they say, okay, let me see what's on two B let me see what's on Plex, let me see what's on Pluto TV. And there's a whole bunch of these different things at this point. So starting now, Google is integrating these free channels right into the live tab on your Google TV device. So there's gonna be all kinds of news channels NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, programming from around the world in ten languages, including Spanish, Hindi, and Japanese. They've got breaking news, blockbuster movies, all kinds of stuff. I checked my Chrome Cast with Google TV to see if I had this yet. I don't, but I do like their interface because the thing is. We started out with these streaming services that you pop into and see what's playing, but now we've come full circle back to the live grid. People love the live grid because you can see the channels, and you can see what's playing on the channels at the different times and pop into them like you did back in the day on a cable box. So eight hundred channels, are they all going to be good? Probably not, But if you're looking for free stuff to watch, people might know like, Okay, I can go to my Google TV and find stuff, and Roku's doing this, Pluto does this, So everyone's seeming to get into this whole live grid with a bunch of free stuff. And yes you will have to sit through commercials, but it's free. So where's this available? Like I said, Google TV devices in the US, including Chromecast with Google TV and TVs with Google TV built in. So if you have a Sony with Google TCL High Sense and fillups, they all have this built in. You should be seeing this update soon. They're going to bring it to eligible Android TV devices later this year, so if you have an Android TV box, you're not going to see this immediately, but one more way to watch free stuff and there are many ways at this point. All right, let's see so many emails here. Nancy wrote in Hey, Rich, I have no ad. Discovery Plus is six ninety nine a month. I don't want anything else. What are my options going to be? I can't find anything online? Nancy, I think Discovery Plus is going to stay put, even though we have HBO Max coming along to Max. I think Discovery Plus is staying put right now at six ninety nine a month, so until they change that, all right, if you have a question, give me a call. Eighty to eight rich one on one triple eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech. Also one of my favorite songs, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. Triple eight rich one O one is the phone number eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one in the studio. Some special guests, my wife Lindsey, Hello, everybody, happy to be here. And my son Tanner. Hi. So now it sounds like a circus in here. Now we're like the rich Morning Zoo. I need like a cow bell. No, it's it's all fun. My kid has been asking me to come into the the radio studio since we started the show, and I said, okay, you got to give me a little bit of time to get used to the show first, right, and then and then I said I would bring him in. So he's in here. And what was your first reaction to the studio here?
Speaker 8: You know, I thought the room was a little small, but then I looked around more and it was a little big.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you think of the noise? You can't hear anything in here? Right, it's very quiet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: When I came.
Speaker 1: In, he can't hear so I felt like, oh, he felt like he popped his ears. Okay, that might have been the elevator though. So my kid is here for a reason. We're gonna be talking about the Super Mario Brothers movie a little bit later in the show. I've got Matt Swider, friend of the show. He is going to tell us the best way to see the movie. He saw it in like five different formats. I can't believe it. I saw it in one, and I'm good with that. You saw it last night. We're not going to talk about it just yet, but we'll have Tanner kind of chime in on that in just a little bit but speaking of Nintendo, by the way, phone lines open triple eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Speaking of Nintendo, Nintendo announces Nintendo Live twenty twenty three. This is something they did in Japan during the pandemic, I guess last year, but now they're bringing it to the US. And it's kind of interesting timing because E three we talked about on the show, how that's not happening this year. That's the big video game show usually happens in downtown LA every June. That is not happening this year. And then as soon as that announcement was made, then Nintendo says, oh, oh, by the way, we're doing a show on our own, and this is happening up in Seattle. I say up in Seattle because I'm in LA. But if you're in Seattle, you're like, what does you mean up in Seattle. I'm in Seattle. It's right here, and so this is happening in Seattle. This will be an in person event. Anyone can go, and Nintendo made sure that they said it's for family, it's family friendly, and it's funny. The guy who runs Nintendo of America, his name, I kid you not is Doug Bowser. Doug Bowser is the guy who runs Nintendo. I know you can't make this stuff up. That's gonna be a wide variety of Nintendo game inspired activities. You can do gameplay, live entertainment, cheering on high energy gaming tournaments, and taking unforgettable photos with recognizable characters like Mario and Luigi. So they have not said when this will happen in September, the exact date I can tell you, well, I can't tell you actually I don't know, but I remember as a kid, they had this thing that I did, and I can't remember what it was called. It was like a Nintendo Challenge or something, and it was like, do you remember this, Lindsey, this is the Nintendo Challenge? You remember this thing where you'd go to like a game a toy store and you'd play like the video game and try to become like the best Mario Brothers player ever. You don't remember doing that. I don't know why, but I cannot remember that me and I was a big Nintendo fan. You did play Nintendo all the time, but at home in our playroom, in your playroom. Well, really bringing it back when people had playrooms. That was like when your parents didn't want you to, you know, be there, go to the playroom. For me, it was the basement growing up in New Jersey. That was always the playroom. But anyway, so I remember going to this place. It was called Child's World. That's that's the place that I went to as a kid. And you went It was a it was a toy store kind of like Toys r US and you would go there and play a tournament. It was like literally, I was, I'm so excited for this, and it was like maybe two minutes long. You'd play Super Mario Brothers. As soon as you died, that was it. And there was like thirty other kids you'd play with. If anyone can remember this, email me. It's hello at richontech dot TV. It was kind of like there was a movie too, not The Whiz, was it? Gosh, now I'm really getting now the Wizard? I don't know anyway, So I will be there hopefully in Seattle in September to tell you all about Nintendo Live twenty twenty three, because I have a feeling that's going to be quite visual. All right, moving on, Uh, let's see, should I do a question let's do a question. We got an email from let's see Bo. Bo said my Netflix keeps freezing tonight. I contacted customer service via chat. EVA says there's nothing she can do unless I cancel. I asked for a supervisor. Spoke with Justine. They take good notes. Nothing they can do unless I cancel. Called Netflix, spoke with someone same thing. Asked for a supervisor, got Stanley, couldn't give me last name, said it was policy. He said there's nothing I could do unless I cancel. I've been with Netflix many years. First time I had this issue, I spent one year trying to get a credit and no resolve. Customers should know how shady they are. This is of special interest as they are a most expensive streaming service there is. Please cover this, try to get help and see they don't care.
Speaker 4: Bo.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Netflix is the problem. I think that they actually have pretty good Internet services. So my question to you is it's probably your setup if you're having trouble with streaming. I mean, there's no like, no Netflix issue. And if you ever wonder if Netflix is having a service outage, let's see if they have a Netflix status page. So there is a Netflix status page help dot Netflix dot com is Netflix down? Big green arrow right now says Netflix is up. We are not currently experiencing an interruption to our streaming service. Ninety nine percent of the time, when people have a problem with these streaming services, it is not the streaming service. It is their internet. It is their internet connection, specifically Wi Fi. That's typically what happens. All right, do I have time to take a call here, let's see, let's go to uh Claudia in Westport, Washington. Claudia, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Hello, I'm thanks for taking my call. I just got my daughter's put up a new TV. It's a VZO for me, and they got it all set up. I got my DVD players. That's all hooked up, so the TV was working fine, you know. And I have row Crew by the way, not cable, and I get a Wi Fi signal. But I decided I wanted to play a DVD, so I put in a DVD I you know, got on my menu and selected the DVD. That was fine, I could play that. Now my problem is I turn off the DVD player, I cannot get back to regular TV.
Speaker 1: And your regular TV is what the Roku interface.
Speaker 11: Uh yeah, but I have to I turn on my TV with the remote from the from the television, right, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you turn on the TV and then you have a Roku player attached to it.
Speaker 11: Yes, I have. I have Roku. That's how I get my channels and everything.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it sounds like when you put the DVD in you're going to a different HDMI input correct.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, that's right. Okay, but I don't know how to get back to the other ones. They've got like four choices and none of them seem to work.
Speaker 1: Okay, television, And just to let you know, Claudia, this even happens to me. Okay, So if I switch HDM my inputs on my TV, I'm not kidding. I rarely do it because I can never find the one I need to go back to. And the reason is that you need to get the Roku on first, because it may not be sending a signal to your TV, and if it's not, you're just going to get that black screen. And so you need to turn on the Roku first. Use the remote to turn on the Roku, not the TV, like you like, press something on the Roku remote, get that going and then switch HDMI inputs, and every time you switch the HDMI input, wait about ten seconds for it to kind of like, you know, talk back and forth, get the signal and hopefully one of them should settle onto the proper one. And then once you figure that out, memorize them. So if your DVD is number one, memorize that Roku is number three. But I'm telling you, you're calling and this sounds like, you know, a question that seems like it would be really simple, and you probably feel like, oh my gosh, I can't but believe me, this happens to everyone. My kid is nodding his head. I've got my eight year old here, Claudia, and he's you've seen this happen at our house when Dad switches the TV and I can't figure out the one that goes back to right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I seen it happen at our house.
Speaker 1: In fact, we have labels on our HDMI inputs. I actually went through it labeled them. And the problem is I've changed the things that are connected to those inputs and now the labels are wrong, so I can't rely on the label.
Speaker 11: So Claudia, that's what my daughter did. She she she labeled by remote and put this on this and do not touch this button and all that kind of stuff. I don't even I'm okay, I got my rod too remote and my hand and I'm trying to turn it on and it's on. It's got the little red light on it and everything.
Speaker 1: But if that's not working, the other thing you could do is pull the power plug out of the back of the Roku and and get that and you know, get that back on. The other thing you could do. How old is this TV?
Speaker 11: No, you know what. I don't know because she she had it storage, but I think it's at least five years.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a feature on the TV and it sounds like your daughter is a little bit tech savvy because she's got that sticker on the remote that says do not touch this button, so she knows what she's doing. There's a thing called ARC support on the TV E ARC and so what that does is this will allow the Roku to actually toggle the TV Hdmi to its input when you press a button on the Roku remote, so like the home button or the select button. So I would also ask your daughter to maybe see if that option in Roku is set up. It's called ARC or ARC and so that should Sorry, sorry, I'm telling you the wrong thing. It's actually CEC. This is a different control, and that's HDMI, which basically allows these modern devices to talk to each other, and if you get them to talk to each other, they will turn each other on and off and that kind of stuff when you press the button on the remote. But personally, I think you just figure out which input these things are on. If worse comes to worse, Claudia, you can follow the HDMI cable from the back of the Roku into where it inputs on your TV, and that should be labeled on the back of your TV, and that way you know that's the one to tune into. So that's what I would do. I know it's a pain sometimes with these HDMI inputs, but maybe just stick to the to the Roku, all right. Coming up on the show, we are going to talk to Matt Swider about the best way to see the new Super Mario Brothers movie. Plus, I'm going to tell you about Google Maps. They've got several new features to help you explore US national parks, and Amazon is talking about scam artists. They're telling you how to avoid being a scam victim. I'll tell you about how to do that. Coming up next, we have is at Triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Rich Damiro here along with my wife Lindsay, my kid, Tanner, Bobo. We got everyone in house today. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. You can find me online at tech on all social media Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, if you want to call the show eighty eight rich one on one, Triple eight seven four to two, four one zero one. I've got my wife in studio here, Lindsay say hello, Hi, very fun to be here behind the scenes. I've got my kid here, Tanner. Just call us the rich Morning Zoo with Technology. All right, let's get to uh Mitch in Escondido. Mitch, welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic. I got my whole family here, so what could be better?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Well that's right.
Speaker 1: What can I help you with?
Speaker 12: Well, I'm looking for a basic you know, Bluetooth speaker. I've gone online, I've checked the reviews and everyone has the best one.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 12: And I'm really confused. So I'm looking just for something that play, you know, that I can put in the house and get good sound from.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much you looking to spend?
Speaker 12: You know, I don't want to go top of the line, you know, somewhere in the middle of something that's good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll tell you some of my favorites and then you can go from there. But I'll tell you I've got my absolute, absolute favorite speaker, and this is probably overkill. This is the best thing I purchased during the pandemic is the Sos Move. This one's a little expensive, it's four hundred dollars, but it's one of my absolute favorite Bluetooth speakers because not only does it work with Sonos if you have that, which sounds like you don't, so okay, but it's also it's Bluetooth and Wi Fi and it works with Apple Airplay and all these different things, and so that's my most versatile speaker. What I like about it is that it sits on a charging pad, so it's always charged. And that's the problem with some of these Bluetooth speakers is that you get them and then they're not charged when you want to use them. Now that's on the high end. Okay, Now if you step on half of that. For about two hundred dollars, you can get the sons Roam And you can tell I really like the Sonos products because they just work really well. Now the Rome, I can tell you it's about I think it's about one seventy nine. This is another great speaker that I've purchased. And the reason I like this is because while the Move is really heavy and it works really well and you can bring it in to your backyard, the Rome is really light, but it's also rechargeable. They also make a little charger, a wireless charger that it can sit upon, although I just keep mine plugged in at all times with USBC. But this thing is waterproof, which is nice, so you can take it out in the water and the rain, by the pool whatever. But I will tell you my wife can attest to this that we ran it through the washing machine by accident, and you found this in the washing machine, right.
Speaker 3: I did, and I was a little worried it would never work again, and it did somehow.
Speaker 1: But somehow it works because we brought it to Hawaii and it still works and there's no crackling. There's no problem, so I can tell you the Rome by Sonos is really well made. After that, if you want something that's inexpensive, I would say my favorite speakers are the Ultimate Ears. And I'm not the only person that says this. Mitch, you said you looked at reviews. Many people concur that Ultimate Years makes great speakers, and I would you know. They have them in a wide range of pricing points, so you can go anywhere from the Wonder Boom three which is one hundred dollars, to the Boom three which is one point fifty up to the Megaboom which is two hundred, to the hyper Boom which is four forty nine. Not that four forty nine or two hundred. I'd probably go with the Sono speakers I mentioned. But Ultimate Ears has a great speaker. I've recommended this to many many people over the years. They are also water resistant, most of them, I believe, and they're great. The battery lasts a long time, the sound is fantastic, and you can find them anywhere. My advice for any of these speakers is to wait for a deal. Ultimate Year stuff does go on sale once in a while. Sono stuff will go on sale once in a while as well. Thanks for calling Mitch. Hopefully that answers your question. All right, Tam, we've got two minutes. I'm gonna give you the question. Go ahead. We've got an email from Art. What does Art say?
Speaker 8: Good morning, Rich enjoy listening and seeing you on KTLA. Is there any way to stop giving spam emails from Walmart Rewards, ACE Rewards, etc. I delete them and report spam, but they just keep showing up.
Speaker 1: Thank you Art, thank you Ark, and thank you Tanner for reading that great question. And this is a problem that many people have, including myself. So I get these emails as well from like Walmart rewards, Home Depot rewards, and it's like spam, and then you have regular spam. So here is my quick primer on spam. If you get an email like the Walmart rewards, the home Depot rewards, do not open it and do not click on any links in it. Send it to the trash immediately without opening it. As soon as you open one of these emails, these unsolicited spam emails, it sends a signal to these spammers that oh, we got a good email address and they're going to send you more. The other thing I would do is turn off load remote images on your email program. That means that all these little tracking pixels that these spammers put in these emails will not work. It will not tell them that these emails were loaded. So if you can turn off load remote images on your emails, that should help cut down on some of this stuff. Otherwise, unsubscribe to legitimate emails. So if you're getting a legitimate email from a company like Macy's or Home Depot, you can safely unsubscribe. Otherwise, do not click links and the unsolicited stuff, send them right to spam. Coming up next, Matt Swider is going to talk Super Mario Brothers movie and the best format to see it in. This is rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out talking technology with you at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one in the studio with me my son eight years old. Tanner, Welcome to the show. So we are going to talk per Mario Brothers movie. We went and saw it last night and you have your review. Do you want to give me a review of the movie, Tanner? Go ahead.
Speaker 8: I think the Mario movie is great. I would give it a nine out of ten.
Speaker 10: Like.
Speaker 8: The reason I would give it a night out of ten is because it could have a little been a little bit more longer.
Speaker 1: Oh you want it the longer movie and more action, more action. I thought I had a lot of action that was very long. So my feeling on this movie is that it was really good. It will definitely appeal to adults and kids alike. It had all the music that I loved from my childhood. But you can't go in with super high expectations. Let's bring on Matt Swider, friend of the show. Matt Is of the shortcut dot com. Matt, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Hi. How you doing.
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 12: I also give it a nine out of ten.
Speaker 1: You give it an you agree with my child? Now Matt has seen this movie? Is it five times?
Speaker 12: Five times?
Speaker 4: So far?
Speaker 12: I may go for six?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: Now I saw it in all the formats that you could see it in. I saw in three D, I saw in IMAX. That was the first time I saw it. Four DX, which is like it has moving chairs and that was kind of like a little bit like a roller coaster. And then my favorite was Dolby Cinema and that was a really clear picture. But I also liked the four D X version, which I know is not everybody's cup of tea, but being on a ninety two minute roller coaster can be kind of fun, if that's up your alley.
Speaker 1: Now, we ended up seeing it in Dolby Cinema because of you, because I was literally researching my tickets and I was going to buy the IMAX tickets, and then I saw your post at the shortcut dot com saying I saw the Super Mario Brothers movie in every format possible and this is the best one. I said, ooh, let me see what he says, and so I read the whole thing and you came to the conclusion of the Dolby Cinema and I canceled the tickets for the IMAX and I bought the cinema. What do you think is the kind of difference between those two formats?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Do we lose Matt?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think we lost him. I guess Matt. I don't know what happened. Okay, So while we get Matt back on the line, let's see here, can I bring Matt? Are you there?
Speaker 6: Still?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 12: For some reason, there you go.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you heard my question, but you know, I basically went and saw in the Dolby Cinema format. What do you think is the difference between these formats these days?
Speaker 12: I think it's a little bit bigger of a screen, and the contrast ratio is definitely the projector is definitely better than your standard two D picture that's out there. That kind of is slowly being replaced a lot of the older cinemas out there, a lot of the older theaters have older objectors. So whether you're going for you know, Dolby Cinema or they have like the Imax laser, it's new advanced technology that is kind of modernizing, just like your TV. You know, the HDR, the contrast ratio so you know, black or blacks and brighter brights within a reason. So I could really tell a difference on My favorite like tell was the detail of Mario's hat. It has a lot of you know, like texture there, like you would see in a nice fabric. And I could see that on the Imax, and I can see that in the Dolby. But then I began to lose it on the three D pictures which I saw on a smaller screen in that case, and also two D, like a lot of that detail really faded, but almost like Mario's overalls were almost looked fuzzy because they look so realistic on Imax and on the Dolbie Cinema.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually turned to my wife at one point during the movie and said, can you believe the graphics of this movie. It's they're so clear and so good that it's it's almost like a next generation of kind of like you said, if you can see it in these formats that reveal that you really get to enjoy with these with these people that made this movie had in mind. Absolutely Okay, So with the Dolby Cinema, the Dolby Cinema and the Imax, Uh are those two the same? Like what are they just like different brands or what?
Speaker 12: So there are different brands. It depends on the Imax. It is really like a larger screen and it's taller than your usual format. So the one I saw in New York City is the largest Imax in the in the country, in the in.
Speaker 1: The US, oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the.
Speaker 12: Second largest is in San Francisco. So I lucked out, you know, being in New York City to go to that, but people there's also an IMAX experience, which they kind of retrofitted existing theaters to be a little bit larger and have that larger, taller format, but it's not quite the real imax that is, you know, what everybody knows and loves, where it's like a giant screen. I did think that it took away from a little bit of the action because it was almost seeing it with like it felt like a thousand other people. The configure is not quite that large many seats, but it felt almost too big for its own goods. So when I went to the Dolby, I had a lot of space in between me and other people the more comfortable seats, and it felt like I was just tuning in on a giant screen that was in my living room versus, you know, something where I'm at like a stadium.
Speaker 4: But they both have unique, cool experiences.
Speaker 1: And that's the other part of this is that even though I love the at home movie experience, there's still you can't compare to the movie theater experience, and it's you know, yeah, people were back in the theater. I mean it really was. You know. My wife and I were talking about this last night too, like how we thought, you know, movie theaters, you would never go back after COVID and now here we are and it was packed. So okay, let's talk about some of the movie itself, because I've got my kid here and Tanner. What was your favorite like character in the movie.
Speaker 8: Did you have a you know, I kind of did actually have a favorite?
Speaker 1: What was it? You've got Mario, because.
Speaker 8: Mario or Peach or Luigi?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 8: My personal favorite was Luigi.
Speaker 1: Oh you like Luigi? Huh?
Speaker 8: I like how he always carried around like plumbing bag.
Speaker 1: What about the what about the Okay, there's two characters I really liked. There was the Toad character, which I thought was really funny. But then there's that like weird star that was like really like dark, right, what was the deal with that thing? And then Bowser. I thought Bowser was a little I don't know, like you like it's weird. And Matt, I'm sure you can understand this too. It's like whenever you're bringing Ip to life, there's always this like major danger.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like kind of like meeting your favorite celebrity. You don't want to be disappointed right by meeting them. In person. That's the way I feel they're walking this very fine line with bringing like your favorite Mario and Nintendo characters to life. You don't want to not like them because you've liked them for so many on the video game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think Jack Black had a tough job but pulled it off in that Bowser would just like in most video games, grunt and not really have a lot of dialogue. So this is really the first time where we have a lot of dialogue being brought to life. So I think you did a good job. In the beginning, a lot of the little kids were very scared, but then he got a little silly, so I think that kind of eased some of that you know, fear in some of like the.
Speaker 4: Really little kids.
Speaker 12: I would say, if you're going to bring little kids to scream at Bowser for ninety two minutes, I think the forty X is the version to go to because there was other little kids doing the same thing. And that's because like it's almost like a ride being in that seat that moves, So if you want to kind of cover for the fact that your kids are going to scream, that's the version of go to, because they'll be with other kids doing that same thing.
Speaker 1: I've actually never seen a movie in forty X. Can you explain what that is?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so it has like twenty one different sensory kind of motion. So there's there's water that gets spit out at you, both from the front of the railing or the person seen in front of you, if not in the front section like I was. And then there's myst that comes down. There's air that comes from the back of the seat. So if you're like flying through the air on a Mario Kart like that type of thing, will will have some some like air effects. And then there's the moving seats, so they almost move like you would imagine in like one of those Disney three D theater, So everything's in in three d's, but the forty comes with those like sensory effects. There's also smell and there's heat, but I didn't really experience that in this particular theater. I did experience that when I saw one of the Transformers movies in Los Angeles back when they first opened up.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was corrected by Tanner. Tanner, We did see a forty movie right where I kind.
Speaker 8: Of remember it at Legoland.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was Lego Land, New York.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like when that there was a criminals trying to steal just a hot and the cops were like, we got it was a really hot day. So I was kind of happy to get wet in that movie. But it was kind of weird how the air went on like my neck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the the So you're you're in New York, Matt, there's that new Lego Land up in gosh in New York. And we went to the opening and they had a four D movie adventure there, so that I did. I did see and they had like I think foam came down from the ceiling like it wasn't It wasn't like one of the standard ones that you're talking about from like Regal or whatever. This other member D Box I think was that one of the companies.
Speaker 12: Yeah, another one.
Speaker 1: So anyway, all right, So bottom line on Super Mario Brothers. Do you recommend people see it if they like, you know, nostalgic factor, you know, what's the who should see this?
Speaker 12: I think tons of people. This is like why it's doing so well in the box office right now. And actually eating Frozen too, Frozen two Numbers, which is Disney's best animated film. It's because there's this cross section of people who played the game over you know, the last I don't know, thirty plus years, like thirty five years or so, because you know, and every generation kind of knows about Mario. In one survey, Mario was had a better recognizable score than Mickey Mouse. So like it's it's definitely relevant to all ages, and a lot of kids who don't know Mario, this will be like their first experience with Mario and they'll immediately get it because they're the ones who like it the most because it just appeals to them. It may not have the story that the critics like, but the actual, you know, ticket paying audience seems to really like it. And I kind of agree with that ticket paying audience more than the professional critics out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree. And it got me to eat my popcorn and drink my soda and have a very very enjoyable Friday night. Matt, we're going to leave it at that. Check out Matt's newsletter at the Shortcut dot Com does all kinds of fun stuff. Matt Swider, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Thanks for Richner Speculator here.
Speaker 1: All right, take care all right, coming up, we're gonna close out the show. I'm gonna tell you about the Amazon scam warning, some new features for the National parks inside Google Maps, and we're going to close out the show with some of your feedback. Rich on Tech coming back after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro talking technology with you. Find me online at rich on Tech. My son Tanner in the studio with me, my wife Lindsey. My other kid's on a hike, so he's not here, so not by himself. But if you want to see us on Instagram at rich on Tech, I typically well Instagram our family and what we're doing most of the time. All right, before we close out the show here, I got a lot of things to get through. So Amazon sent an email about the feeding scam artists. They said in twenty twenty two, they made significant strides to protecting customers any big tech company. You're gonna get emails that purport to be from them, do not fall for them. A lot of them are fake. Amazon says they initiated takedown some more than twenty thousand phishing websites and ten thousand phone numbers that were used as part of impersonation scams and they referred hundreds of bad actors to law enforcement. So how to protect yourself from Amazon scammers. Be careful installing apps or software. Amazon will not ask you to install an app or download software in order to get a refund or help. So if they're like, yeah, we can talk to you about this problem, just download this program and we'll connect you, don't do it. They connect you through the web. Never pay over the phone. Amazon will not call to ask you to provide payment information, including gift cards. Always verify orders directly with Amazon. Amazon is never going to send you a confirmation email that has the products you ordered in it. So if you get this emails, say I didn't order this computer, let me call this number and get a refund, and don't do it. That does not happen. If you have any questions, you can go to your orders area on Amazon dot com or on the Amazon Shopping app. Be wary of false urgency. Amazon does not pressure you to act. Now. Well, they do have lightning deals, so they do a little bit, but scammers may try to create a sense of urgency to persuade you to do what you're asking. And if you receive any communication, a call or text or email that you think may not be from Amazon, you can report it to Amazon at Amazon dot com slash report a scam. I did not know about that website Amazon dot com slash report a scam. Let's see what that brings you to. Brings to this website where you can report something suspicious so Amazon don't fall for it. Lots of stuff that's happening with that Google Maps. If you're going to be exploring national parks this summer, they have four new updates coming to Google Maps on iOS and Android to help you with that. So number one, this is really cool. You can identify the most popular places in a park, like the attractions, campgrounds, visitor center, and trailheads. So if you search for a park like Yellowstone, you'll see something called directory and it will show you all the things that are like the most popular things inside that park. It's kind of like what they do with a shopping mall, tell you all the stores, They tell you all the things that are on there. See the popular trails on maps, so now when you search for a trail, they're going to highlight the entire route on the map instead of just a pin, so you can see where it starts and finishes. And this is one of the things when you take a hike, it's like the most intimidating factor. You don't really know what the hike is going to entail, and so the more you know about it before you get on it, the better you can prepare. They also have pictures and reviews of hikes as well more detailed directions. They're going to have park entrances highlighted on the map, so you know exactly where to go right to the trailhead. That's another thing. You know, sometimes they just bring you to like the park itself, but if you know exact you know if there's three or four places to park, you can pick the best one based on what you want to do. And then the other thing is offline maps. Be sure to download those before you go. I talked about this for any trip you do, make sure you download Google Maps. There's a way to do it in the settings, and you can download offline maps. They're going to actually make this easier. When you look up a park, you're going to see a download button on the listing so that it reminds you to download that maps that you can use it without internet or cellular because remember GPS will still work on your phone if you have the map downloaded, even if you don't have internet or cellular data. And if you've been to a national park, you know that most of them do not have internet access nearby or cellular data. The other thing is I would recommend as the MPs National Park Service app. They've got a great app for at least I know they've got it for iOS. I'm not sure it's Android, but they do have it, and oh, they do have it for both, and that has a really good source of information as well. All right, let's get to the feedback section of the show. Tanner, do you want to read one of the feedbacks for me? Do you have a feedback there? We've got it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I actually do have a feedback. Let's read it, okay from Peter. When I can't listen live, I catch up with your podcast. Thank you for providing interesting and valuable topics, Peter san Pedro.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, thank you, Peter. Yeah, some people don't realize that this goes out as a podcast as well, so if you miss it on the live show, you can definitely get the podcast later. Thank you, Peter. I appreciate that one. I will read the next piece of feedback. This is from I don't have a name here, but it just says I don't know, We'll just it says Rich de Hero instead of rich DeMuro Rich. Good job on the rescue. I remember from my scouting days reach, throw, row and go. Your little flotation device represent throw and it saved you from being dragged down by the victim. Good job, way to go. Cheers sent for my iPhone. Clearly he is referring to the rescue story I talked about on last week's show, and Tanner you were there. Was it scary on the beach to watch dad jump out and help rescue someone?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 8: I almost grabbed my mom's phone and actually doubt nine one myself and I almost had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a little scary, that's for sure.
Speaker 8: I almost ran in myself, but then these people told me to not run in because they probably thought there was a shark in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't know what was happening. I told the story on last week's show about my vacation in Hawaii where I had to take a little time out from the beach to run into the water and rescue someone. But my thesis of that whole thing was a don't just be a bystander. Help out in some way to the best of your ability. Doesn't mean you have to jump in like I did. But if you can help in some way, that's good because everyone thinks someone's gonna help and sometimes they don't. And look for the floaty when you get into a pool or a ocean area, there's always some sort of life saving device.
Speaker 8: Yeah, always remember where like the guard stuff is like those life booies, or they're always red yellow or white or red and white like those booies on a ship.
Speaker 1: Tanner, thanks so much for joining me on the show today. Appreciate it. Jeff fun Yes, okay, good, Lindsey, thanks so much for joining me. Thanks for having me all right. My name is rich Demurro. Thanks so much for listening to the show. That's Gonna Do It. Next week we're going to talk Earth Day and how to recycle gadgets and what big companies like Apple are doing. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. My name is rich Dedmurro. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend an hour of your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I'll talk to you real soon.