Speaker 1: Well, I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: But you're a guess to my home.
Speaker 1: You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no guests. Your presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare.
Speaker 3: To surbey me? Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Richard Wineger. We are in the backyard. Very pleasant morning so far. I did spray myself with the hose. I'm drying off mostly. Oh and there's even a bird that's just immediately getting in on the show, which I love. We've got a lot of business. We have a lot of business up top here. Of course. The New York Show, which we announced last week, continues to be in the future. October thirteenth. It's a Sunday night. You've got to be there. It's at the Bellhouse, the Bellhouse ny dot com. I don't know what the ticket sales are at this point. You may already be out of luck. I don't know what to say. Just get on it. I mean, the things we already have in store for this thing, I'm going crazy. It's going to be a ball now. The other piece of businesses thousands of people have asked me to comment on the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives, and I guess I should just get in and give my commentary. And I watched the trailer and it seems like a wonderful group of gals with fantastic husbands to boot. I don't know what else to say about it. They do all seem to share the same hairdresser. They've got every one of them has the same highlights and waves. That should be the point of the show, you know, well, this will be a continuing conversation with the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. I think that's what it's called. It's on Hulu. Who cares, Let's get into the podcast. I love today's guest. It's e J Marcus. E J. Welcome to I said no gifts, Thank you so much. It's kind of just had to blow through some information up top. There. Have you seen this trailer for the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives.
Speaker 2: I haven't, but I'm not what it's called.
Speaker 3: I maybe now that it rhymes yeah, like that would be an odd title for.
Speaker 2: Show, well, or an amazing catchy.
Speaker 3: On a Liisa's that's the title of the show on Liise has not even looked it up onalise is hanging by a thread employment wise, Okay, Okay, that's nodding their head. Okay, it is the secret lives of Mormon wives.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: These gals we're on TikTok kind of became famous for being Mormon wives on TikTok, kind of like these long wavy hair.
Speaker 2: With the highlights beautiful.
Speaker 3: And then I guess there was like a scandal they were What's what I've learned is called soft swinging with each other's usban's, but I'm not entirely clear on what that means.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, Well, I'm I'm really fascinated by all of this, I might say. I mean, I'm I'm kind of interested in the idea of swinging generally, just like conceptually, because I think it's like a generational difference. Oh yeah, you know, because it's like, you know, people my age and younger they're doing a sort of polyamorous thing totally. But I think swinging is very cool actually, so soft swinging, I'm like, now, what can that?
Speaker 3: What does it mean? Does it just mean having a conversation with someone else's husband?
Speaker 2: Right, it's like just flirting in the same roomance? Yeah, where there's like palpable sexual a.
Speaker 3: Wink. Yeah, like a brush against a shoulder.
Speaker 2: Right, which is kind of the best of all worlds.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course you get a little and then you get to fantasize suggestion, right, beautiful. The word swinging, it just always feels so dated. It feels like such a seventies thing.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, bring back swinging parties, Like, are people doing this?
Speaker 1: They must?
Speaker 3: I think these Mormon wives.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're leading the charge absolutely front of culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, got They are choreographic dances and bringing swinging back in a huge way in kind of these bland suburban homes. Very beige, okay, all kind of the gray floor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the gray floor.
Speaker 3: But they're making a career out of it. Who who's got a whole? I don't know. It's probably four episodes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were asked to comment on it.
Speaker 3: A lot of nature because I'm from Utah and a lot of listeners have just reached out sending the trailer. What do you think of this?
Speaker 2: Speak on it?
Speaker 3: Please need the final word totally, So that's uh, I'm sure I'll get hooked, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean I think I will as well. Now it's inevitable.
Speaker 3: Do you watch any reality TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is always a surprise to people for some reason. But I am really into The Bachelor. Oh interesting, I'm in like a really avid like I go to a watch party every week.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I it's kind of the one. I mean, I've dabbled in other like dating reality shows. I was big on the Queer Ultimatum. Obviously that was legendary, but I the Bachelor is the one that I feel like most invested, like culturally and just because I think it's like, I think it's so fascinating.
Speaker 3: How do you have never watched a full episode?
Speaker 2: I mean and and fair like.
Speaker 3: But also not because I feel like an entire culture is watching the show.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's what's a Bachelor nation nation the country?
Speaker 3: There is a city state to the Bachelor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I just think it's really interesting the way that like it's gamified. There's like a million podcasts that talk about this, right, right, and that's it gamified. So okay, this is something that I've only been privy to in the last couple of months because of my you know, Bachelor watch parties. The girls are sort of filling me in on stuff. The idea is like with the Bachelor, So it's like, you know the Bachelor, and then there's all these women competing for his love and affection, right supposedly, but then if you kind of take it apart, it's like the women are actually the ones that are kind of in control because they're playing the game and they're manipulating I mean maybe manipulating the strong word, but they're they're like using him to get what they want. Oh, like the way that these podcasts talk about it, They're like they're like she was able to produce tears and therefore an illicit and a reaction from it. Like that's the language they're using. It's like and I'm sorry, I don't remember the names of the actual podcast, but like they're coining these really interesting terms that I think it's sort of interesting.
Speaker 3: And what do the women want? What are they trying to just fame?
Speaker 2: I think it's a myriad of things. Like I think it's like the some of them, I'm sure are genuinely looking for a lifetime of like marriage. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, but I'm like, I'm like, so scart of when to get canceled for this really Like I'm like, I'm like, I should not come for you. Yeah there, and they are fierce, but but yeah, I feel like some of them maybe literally want marriage. I think also they're like wanting yeah, like a career of their own or like they have like other things they want to promote obviously.
Speaker 3: Right, energy drinks, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Things like that. And I think they're also like I think some of them are just like on there to kind of like have fun on reality TV. Like I don't know, like I think it's like a very interesting but they own it. Like I think that's the thing is, like they're like pretty you can kind of tell who's there for.
Speaker 3: What, right. I Mean, my only like closest experience I have to this is Survivor, where like you watch New Survivor and the contestants have been watching it for such a long time that it's no longer like they're aware of the show in a way that like kind of ruins the show. It's so longer that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's definitely different than like in the early seasons of reality shows, where I feel like people were kind of like I mean pretty much psychologically just sort of tortured, not knowing what they were getting in.
Speaker 3: Right, and we're actually documenting these people being absolutely manipulated by producers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, they're like, oh, I'm like, I guess I'm gonna be on TV and like sort of no one could anticipate what was gonna happen, and it's sort of hugely upsetting to watch.
Speaker 3: Are you so, are you new to The Bachelor.
Speaker 2: Like relatively like some people I mean obviously have been watching for years and years. The first season I watched was like the quarantine, Like twenty twenty season there was a quarantine there was and that one was extra weird because like usually they're flying them all over the world and this one it was kind of like and we're in Pennsylvan.
Speaker 3: Moving around the yard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like they're like scaling like the same building on like a like because they always do like like a very active sort of like they're jumping.
Speaker 3: Out of oh right, like skydie yeah yeah, bungee jumping. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this one they were like climb up the same wall.
Speaker 3: Use this writing lawnmower, yeah, which I love. Okay, wow, I yeah, I always I feel like I should probably try to watch an entire season I've but it's every time I try to dip in. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's so reality it is, it's completely and I think that for me is why I feel like I get a little scared when it feels like there's the lines are blurry like between like The Bachelor's so overproduced and ridiculous, like the conversations like these, like no one thinks this is.
Speaker 3: Real, right right, I mean it's so stilted. It's like the act you're seeing acting choices, yes, like truly.
Speaker 2: You're seeing people be like Okay, who is my character again? And I love that because it's just so silly, like it actually feels like camp. But then like I feel like when reality shows get a little blurry and I'm like oh uh oh, like people are like taking this seriously, then I get a little scared, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think you would ever go on a reality show?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I well, I think I would maybe do like a in the world of Survivor kind of one more competitive, yeah, like like what's it called, like the Ninja Warrior one?
Speaker 3: I love nothing more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I have dreams of like one day like making that my thing.
Speaker 3: Do they have team Ninja Warrior. I feel like we should go on together.
Speaker 2: Know, oh my god, people would underestimate us, Oh my god, and we would kill it. We would kill it.
Speaker 3: I just I know that we would be able to do this Ninja Warrior reach out. Yeah, it seems so fun. Does anyone ever get injured on that?
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's no way everyone's walking away in one piece?
Speaker 3: No, correct me if I'm wrong. Ninja Warrior is the one where you're kind of scrambling around on things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty like insane physical challenges where they're like again like throwing themselves into like I feel like it's like a lot of like padded like like weird. Wait is Ninja weorri the one way you fond of the lava?
Speaker 3: That's uh or don't touch the lava? The flora is that one's the flora lava?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So I'm getting a couple completed. But yeah, both of those I think we could do great.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like Ninja Warrior. You're frequently over a body of water like a swimming pool. Helicopter, Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you there, moving on with your day. That's my ride.
Speaker 3: A rope dangles down and they just take off Ninja Warrior. I feel like you're over a swimming pool, So it seems like that's the very least you get to be refreshed if you fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a nice perspective.
Speaker 3: The floor is lava. I feel like it's just literally like yeah, pieces of styrofoam or something that you fall into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and the floor is lava. The thing that they do sometimes is like you can tell that it's only like a three foot deep like pool, and then sometimes it is like a liquid like a stew sort of, yeah, like a stew, like a human stew. But I feel like sometimes you can tell that they've told them like make it like you're drowning, and then they're like, ah, like they like have to like melt physically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be at least like uncomfortably hot water. Maybe not scalding, but enough where you like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely definitely at least that.
Speaker 3: I mean, why call it lava? I mean, otherwise we're not.
Speaker 2: Gonna cold ice. Cool could be fine, just something to get a scream, yeah, and that's also good for your muscles that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting a cold plunge, which is so you know on trend for everybody Flora's ice plunge.
Speaker 2: Then people would be signing up. They would they not to turn people away. I wouldn't want to do it. Everyone's going there for their help. Yeah please, I don't have insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Ninja Warrior we would be perfectly at the very least fine on m Yeah. I think we would straight by, but we would definitely scramble around make entertaining. Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah. I wonder if you have to do training for that. How do you do training for a Ninja Warrior program.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's intensive.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think they are like specific programs.
Speaker 2: I wonder what I'm thinking about now is that, like back to the injury thing. My friend is a physical therapist, and she told me this was like horrifying for me to learn as someone who plays in a rec soccer league once every three months. She said that the most common injuries that she sees are like adults, like people over the age of like twenty eight, oh boy, who have like casually gotten into like a sport every once in a while, but are not properly like stretching or doing anything like. So she sees like torn acls from people who are like, I played in one rec basketball game and then I got messed my body up so badly. So that's why I'm like, I hope that they are preparing.
Speaker 3: That would stretching for a few minutes before the big.
Speaker 2: Warrior girls like it would be like the sad kind of injury where it's like you wouldn't see anything you have right, but in suddenly it's like someone's like, I'm in the most pain I've ever been in.
Speaker 3: My writhing in pain, and we don't get to see any gore, broken bones or anything. Yeah, they like stepped backwards a little. Two guys they reached for a too high shelf. Yeah, like, oh okay, yeah, that's something to keep in mind. Wow, I'm not gonna I guess I can't do any sports.
Speaker 2: You just have to be like unfortunately stretching like way more than your stretching, which is like the least fun part. Oh, it's so boring, I know. I'm like, oh, like, okay, I'll lunge around.
Speaker 3: I guess you do yoga or anything.
Speaker 2: No, No, Like I'm so bored, but I know that I should do you do yoga?
Speaker 3: No, I lift weights and for about forty seconds before I go to the gym, I'll stretch. Okay, so not enough. Yeah yeah, but at least I'm like going through the motion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a suggestion, evidently, right, I think the body appreciates a suggestion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's as long as you're thinking about it. It's like the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, from that one, I'll just think about it on the right over okay, perfect, Yeah, some serious thought about stretch.
Speaker 2: By the time you're there, you're already bored event, and so you can just skip.
Speaker 3: It, so limber.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Oh, and I'm like, okay, I should stretch after this, after the drive over.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't think I've ever actually done yoga at all, now that we're saying, I think I've done a child's post.
Speaker 2: Okay, that one's nice.
Speaker 3: And then I think I've probably done Oh. I was going to a trainer for a couple of months, like as the pandemic was kind of slowing down a little bit, and he would have me do different cat cow, I think of something, and then he started really recommending Joe Rogan. Oh, and that became part of about half of the workout time. So we had to I kind of had to just kind of slowly remove myself from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The crazy thing with that kind of guy is that it actually is like I've found, like it's not who you're expecting it to be that you're talking to and is suddenly like, wait, have you listened to this guy Joe Rogan And you're like, whoa? I actually thought we were kind of like on the same base.
Speaker 3: And that's where it becomes tricky because you have to kind of let them down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're like, I don't want to just be like whoa, okay crazy and walk away or whatever. I mean, sorry, but like it's kind of I mean, when I run into that, it's frequently like oh yeah, I'll have to check it out. Yeah yeah, yeah, I'll like fake, I'll like, oh maybe I'll write that down.
Speaker 3: In my notes.
Speaker 2: You're like Joe, what was it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then just avoid because you don't want to follow up.
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't want to have to be like I took a listen.
Speaker 3: And it really does kind of have some real common sense answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was. I was surprisingly engaged. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, this trainer was like talking about Joe broken, but then getting into like guests like I guess he has a guest that like and encourages people to do small amounts of heroin or something. I was like, I'm hearing this from someone who's supposed to be caring about my canileth on some level, right, And.
Speaker 2: Then you're kind of like, so, what else do you believe?
Speaker 3: Like what is this entire philosophy.
Speaker 2: Of It's a hard one to track I've found.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And then there were like I kind of just ghosted him. Then maybe like once every two weeks I was getting a text, and once a month. Then he vanished, and then he texted like a one year anniversary. And it's not simply not getting responses to any of these things just go away. Yeah, but I guess he thought we had built something.
Speaker 2: It's so perplexing to me when people continue to text after you haven't been responding, Like it's actually the most confusing thing, like outside of I know it's like a meme at this point of like people from dating apps or whatever, but like in like just like a normal like friendship or like acquaintanceship and then you haven't been responded, like I would never mortifying, like someone doesn't respond to me for a few days I'm like noted, like like I understand, I'm not returning to that thread because it's just like I mean, I don't want to see it in silence. Yeah, I don't want to look up and be like, oh, I asked you a question and you never responded, like you're obviously busy, at the very.
Speaker 3: Least busier than me. Yeah, and that alone, that's.
Speaker 2: Fine, but like to follow up and be like thinking about you, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am. I don't know what the psychology is. I guess some people just their communication methods are different. I guess so some people are desperate, some people are lonely, some people are dangerous, all totally valid things to be.
Speaker 2: It is so valid to be dangerous. We support you, like, keep doing you serious?
Speaker 3: If anything, do it more? Yeah, because we're all wondering are you dangerous? We want to know they are dangerous?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we want the confirmation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We need to be able to spread the word.
Speaker 2: The ambiguous identity of dangerous. It's such an interesting one. Let us celebrate how dangerous you are. Could means so many things dangerous in what way? Dangerously friendly?
Speaker 3: I mean speaking of communication methods and not quite getting it. This sort of thing this podcast is called. I said no gifts, I of course was thrilled to have you here today. Eachj will come along, we'll have a perfect conversation, and then we'll move on with our days. So I was flabbergasted, thrown and floored when I kind of met you at my gate. We almost ran into each other meet cute style, and you were holding this gorgeous gift bag. I'm trying to just wrap my head around what's going on right now? Is this gift for me?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 3: Okay, totally fine, absolutely fair? Should I open it here on the podcast? I would like that, okay, right, okay, So I'm happy to open it. I'm happy to get in here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's kind of this gorgeous bag with different cake and sweets, which I just love. And then we've got the tissue, which we're trying to get into more on the podcast. Recently we had kind of a dry spell of noise, and now we're getting back into the tissue noise and I'm reaching in, reaching in, pulling out oh now. So yeah, So the truth is this. It did not come in a bag. I came into the backyard and you just kind of had it on the table, So I said, we have to get this in a bag for the surprise. So I kind of tried to not look at it. Yeah, I saw a piece of paper with rocks glued to it, but nothing else. Okay, and so now we're getting into the surprise. But it says common rocks and minerals of Eating Canyon. What's happening here for asking?
Speaker 2: So so basically this is a you were You were exactly right. It's basically a piece of paper with rocks glued to it, but it's an informational sort of item that tells you about the different rocks that you can find in eating can do you know eaton Canyon?
Speaker 3: No? Is it in l A.
Speaker 2: It is in.
Speaker 3: Altadena, Okay, beautiful Altady.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Aladina. So here's the thing about this is that so I took a class last spring where I learned all about like the different natural elements of this canyon in Altadena.
Speaker 3: What a specific class?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Where did you.
Speaker 3: Find the class?
Speaker 2: Well, I was on a walk at this canyon and they had there was a sign.
Speaker 3: Someone jumped out of the bushes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone jumped out of the bushes. And I never wants to learn I have a lot to teach you.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, it okay, that is the scariest thing for someone to jumping out of a bush.
Speaker 2: To hi and I'm dangerous.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, you're so Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was on a walk in the canyon. I saw a poster that said Docent Naturalists Training Volunteer Training Program.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a lot. It's a mouthful, but basically it was like a bi weekly class that twice a week. Because bi weekly can be.
Speaker 3: Bi weekly, We've got a narrow down what that means.
Speaker 2: So that was twice a week and for like a few months, and I went in every day with a bunch of I would majority older people, and we learned how to like take like all of the things you need to know about the canyon to kind of like tour people through the canyon. Oh so it was kind of like a tour guide teacher class. And that's what a docent is, which I of course connected. Yeah, but this is like a canyon docent.
Speaker 3: You've rarely rarely seen canyon docent, right, It's.
Speaker 2: A rare one. And so I was like, you know what, frankly, was it a period of my life where I felt I had nothing going on, and so I said, sure, I will become a docent of you in canyon. And so I sat in this room twice a week with these lovely people, and I learned all about it. And then when I graduated, mm hmmm, I got a bag of tricks you could say that are like things that help you, like walk people through the canyon and teach them about so oh great, and this was one of those things. And what's awesome about it is it's pretty direct, Like I mean, you sort of on first glance could kind of tell what it was, right, right, And it's just like the different rocks that are found in the canyon, yes, which a lot of the details about them I have forgotten.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're so, I'm not like rusty as.
Speaker 2: A rusty as a docent, but I felt like, you know, it is something that if you were like going on a walk kind of anywhere in LA it's kind of a fun thing to have in your bag.
Speaker 3: Right right. So okay, so let's get back to this class for a minute. You're going twice a week. How big was the class? Like?
Speaker 2: Twenty people?
Speaker 3: Okay, twenty people? You were the lot ofgest preshared people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you making frin Oh yeah, lifelong temporarily mean we've stayed in touch. You're texting email? Yeah, I'm emailing a bit, you know. I mean, actually, genuinely, it was really sweet they I was. It was around the time when I was doing my show in the like Netflix's Joke Festival, right, and a lot of them did come to my show. Oh that's very which was really sweet. That's wonderful. Yeah, I love those guys. But yeah, it was also just it was kind of like a side of la that I haven't really seen because I'm so kind of I don't know, you know how it is. I'm sort of hanging out with a sort of bohemian type artistic you know, these people, and so these like it was cool to be in a class with someone who's like, oh, I'm like a retired biologist.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm someone who does something meaningful. Yeah, did something meaningful and has knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, truly truly knowledge to share that like actually deeply impacts our physical environment, and I'm willing to forge real relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sort of showing up completely authentically as myself. I was like that is, I mean, what a novel content.
Speaker 3: You do have to go to the canyons to find that? You do? You do?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I learned a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, So and what were you learning, Like what were the interesting things you were learning from this class that you were like, Oh, that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Well it started.
Speaker 3: It was cool.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like on a timeline of like the first things we learned about were like the indigenous tongue of people that lived in the canyon before the Spanish settlers, right right, Well, they didn't actually live in the canyon full time. Usually they were there sort of seasonally depending on like what like things they were foraging for. But yeah, so like learning about like the histories of like people that have been in like Altadena for like way longer than white people. And then we moved into just like different natural elements of the canyons. So like start with plants, animals, you know, learning stuff of like because really they're prepping you to be able to walk through mostly children like groups of children.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, we're doing that deal trip.
Speaker 2: So it's like they're like focusing on stuff of like Okay, this kind of lizard changes colors depending on how much sun he's gone in the day.
Speaker 3: Oh, but that's a fact. But it's like.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff, you know, Like it's like, Okay, I'm walking around my neighborhood. I'm like, uh, that lizard's pretty dark. He doesn't need any more sun. You know, it's at risk for melanoma. Yeah, like he needs to get inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are human?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually that's a set topic of melanoma. Mel we're not getting into let's get into it, MELI. Yeah. Oh so you learned about all of these what sort of animals are scurrying about in the canyons?
Speaker 2: I mean all kinds, Like there's okay, let me let me see if I can get this fact actually completely right. La is one of two megacities in the world that is home to a large predator cat.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's La and I'm pretty sure Dubai the two to buy. Yeah, are the two like mega cities in the world. Oh my god, I hope I'm getting this right.
Speaker 3: On a Lisha's rap. You're checking the internet.
Speaker 2: Okay. Cool.
Speaker 3: So it's like, because you know about P twenty two, yeah, of course, Mountain Lion slash Cougar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like that's so rare that he was like in La County and like sharing space with people that close by, right, right, And so like that's the kind of thing of like there's like mountain lions, there's.
Speaker 3: Bobcats, bobcats, there's BlackBerry by Mumbai. Okay, yeah, I was gonna say Dubai. That doesn't there's nothing natural happening in Dubai. I don't think that there's any living thing other than yeah, freaks who drive Bugatti's or yeah that's so true humiliating but whatever. But it's still the crazy like La in one of the like it's kind of like, what wow, Yeah, that's reasly fascinating. What's I wonder what the big cat and Mumbai is leopard? I love a leopard. I'd love to see a leopard in the city. Oh my god, I know, kind of just wandering around shopping. Yeah yeah, okay, so mountain lions they're very rare in cities obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's like crazy that we're so close to big animals like.
Speaker 3: That, right, And I feel like I've just recently seen on Instagram there's a new mountain lion making waves. Yeah, does I have a name?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it has a name yet.
Speaker 3: And do we know why P twenty two was called that?
Speaker 2: Something about the way they tracked him or something.
Speaker 3: Some joyless oh honor Lisa saying yes, yeah, couldn't just give it a name, I know, some dignity. Yeah, it's really humiliating for that animal.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I was hopefully with this next one, I've got another chance to give it a name.
Speaker 2: I know. I hope he can live a fruitful life.
Speaker 3: Now. I was on a hike recently and we got into it like a waterfall situation. I've kind of decided I only want to end a hike where I'm swimming around a waterfall. But there, while we were swimming around in this waterfall, we looked at the rock and there were little frogs that had changed to the color of the rock. Did you learn about this?
Speaker 2: We didn't really talk too much about frogs because they're in Eton Canyon. They're kind of an invasive The frogs that are oh interesting, I'm pretty like the ones that are closer by to like where we would do the walks, the like nature walks, because they were like, yeah, there was something about like the tadpoles that had been born in that one.
Speaker 3: But oh no, it's odd to think of a frog being a problem.
Speaker 2: I know. Now. I'm like, now I'm gonna be just spinning this whole podcast touting like nature facts. I don't exactly know, but there's.
Speaker 3: Information like it is crazy though.
Speaker 2: Frogs do like the noisiest ones are often ones where you're like, I don't know if you're supposed to be here.
Speaker 3: Oh so it's more of like a noise ordinance thing, just like noisy neighbor complaints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the neighbors.
Speaker 3: I hate them, yeah, because I mean they're just eating bugs. They're not attacking large mammals or anything. No, no, yeah, I mean I suppose some are poisonous. But these these frogs I'm going to stand up for because you know, they were changing to the color of the rock.
Speaker 2: I mean, they might have been meant to be there. I can't really speak for them.
Speaker 3: Adorable once you saw one and then suddenly they're everywhere. They've been camouflaged all over, that's crazy. I love to see a frog in the wild.
Speaker 2: I loved it. And sometimes they are so small all the best, like the size of your fingernail.
Speaker 3: I had a little lizard that was the size of a fingernail just down there, and I so melted. Absolutely. I may have taken a video or a photo. I'll try to share that, but when a lizard is the size of a fingernail, it's crazy. What are we even talking about?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Where is it headed? What will it become? How does it survive? That's a good question, very sweet little journey. Those things are wrong. I know, lizard, but are you a snake person?
Speaker 2: I appreciate a snake.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I had a recent encounter with what I mean in Eaton Canyon. I'm not gonna lie. I had a recent encounter with one where I was walking down the path and it was a massive rattlesnake. Like I it was actually one of those moments where I was like like sort of an out of body like because it's like you know when you see something and you're like is that a snake and you're like no, no, no, that would be crazy, Like that's way too big. This was like I had that moment and then I was like, no, that's a snake. And then it rattled away.
Speaker 3: Did it rattle? It's thing? It did, but it left, it didn't attack.
Speaker 2: They don't really want to.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into Rattle six. I'm trying to turn this into a utility podcast where people are learning. This is kind of we're in competition with the Daylight now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's kind of, you know, we're just trying to get facts. Rattlesnicks they'll screwed away from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not exactly. They're not super aggressive, like if they feel like you're trying to you know, they'll defend themselves. Okay, but they're not the kind of snake that's like chasing you down the road, which.
Speaker 3: Doing in the back of a motorcycle. Yeah. Oh that's interesting. So it's more of like, oh, I'm sorry I stepped on you, and now it's attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's like don't do that, you know, And the rattle is really like it's warning you.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, please, are you giving you signs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow? So what am I supposed to do when I see a rattlesnake?
Speaker 2: Probably just give it space. I mean, they can feel the vibrations in the ground if you coming close, so like they're not like gonna hang around and be like I'm gonna get you. But like like when I saw this rattlesnake. There was someone coming up behind me who had a little dog with her, and the dog was kind of I think he was on a leash, but the leash was kind of along, so he was kind of like darting around. Oh no, and I was like, hey, pick up your dog, probably because he's like that. The dog is going to be the one that's going to get nailed by the snake.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, speaking of venomous creatures, a bee or hornet just flew right through.
Speaker 2: And left us alone.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't really you just have to keep an eye out, right, keep an eye out so you're not stepping on them. Take a listen, yeah, because they'll spread them and this is what this one is doing. They'll they're getting some sun too, like their sun bathing.
Speaker 3: These sun freaks, I.
Speaker 2: Know, they're obsessed. It's like they're it's like they're cold blooded or something. So he was getting some sun lying out in the middle of the path.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's.
Speaker 2: When you're kind of like, that's when you would maybe step on him because you're not looking.
Speaker 3: Right, right. So what snakes are? Uh, Well, first of all, if I get bit by a rattlesnake. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Really, they're like sucking it out? The poison out is a miss?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a myth.
Speaker 2: Interest, Yeah, is my understanding. I am brilling you on safety information. I didn't even think about the fact that, like obviously I knew I was gonna talk about.
Speaker 3: The right to find out if you learned anything in.
Speaker 2: This And it's like I swear I did, Diane, if you're listening, you're an amazing teacher. And I'm so sorry, and you use the ten thousand dollars I gave you in any way you want. Yeah, I went into debt taking this class byway, yes, but yeah, what was it? Oh what you're supposed to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder what we're supposed to do for bit by a rental snake?
Speaker 2: An I get to the hospital like aced, Okay, of course, I mean that's not information, but like that's what There's nothing else we can do?
Speaker 3: Put mud on it? What a shame? Really, So it's really just kind of I wonder how much time you have. That's a thirty minutes the idea, okay, thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: The myth part is though, like it not everybody dies from a rattlesnake bite. Like it's like, oh, if you're like a baby or if you're a dog, okay, that's gonna be rough. But like a full grown adult, you're like, it's scary, Like you should get to a hospital, right, like you're probably gonna be okay. Wow, is it taking like forever together?
Speaker 3: Okay? Right? Like days?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow. So don't let your baby crawl through the forest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't let your baby call through the forest. If you got a little dog, just watch it, watch it, right, because like the person when when I saw this person, I was like, you should pick up your jack Russell terrier or whatever. She was like, oh, thank you for telling me, because like he would try to fight the snake. Oh you know, like dogs are going to run up and be like a toy.
Speaker 3: I had. My friend's dog got stung by a what are those the bees? The killer bees like African killer bees.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And she was a tiny little lady. She got uh so she was like in a coma for a minute. Oh but survived. But yeah, dogs love to get into these poisonous situations.
Speaker 2: They do stupid.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, so we're trying to figure out what you actually learned in this class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, are you like impressed at all?
Speaker 3: I'm like mild, I feel like this is information that you probably could have just like totally listen to. That's absolute shrieking. That's happening. Must be a rattle just biting kids all over ground, one after another. We're getting back to these rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rocks. I'm gonna go ahead and say, that's maybe the thing I know least about.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how to is this igneous igneous and metamorphic rocks? What's the difference is? Can I guess it's a metamorphic like from a lava? No? I mean.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of a cheat sheet on the back.
Speaker 3: Okay the rocks, Yeah, primarily two times does that exact quarts and horn Blentz does the listener liking this igneous rocks? Okay, but it doesn't really tell you that, like what the differences between these two rocks other than like it does describe different ones. Like if I were to tell you ask you what's a Wilson quartz d rite, which, yeah, would you be able to tell me that it has a grant like texture in the ground mineral is whitish with small black crystals that ever across the learning the curriculum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like, here's what I'll say about the structure of the class. It was there was a lot of lecture, okay, and I loved everyone that came in and lectured about their specific topic. Amazing. It was also kind of the vibe of, like, you know, again some older people that sometimes the people speaking maybe a lot of their lecture would be taken up by like setting up the PowerPoint. Oh interesting, saying there would be yes, information given, but like it wasn't maybe people's strongest platform in which to be giving said information, right, Like I was getting more from like like I we'd be going on the walks, I'd be talking one on one with someone about something.
Speaker 3: Okay, and that's where you're learning.
Speaker 2: I also, it's been a while since I've been a student. Mm hmm. This is me just like defending myself giving discammers. It's been a while since I've been a student, so I historically I'm not that I don't take information the best when I'm sort of sitting down and just like listening.
Speaker 3: Just kind of a dry lecture on rocks that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But there were some things that like really stuck out to Like I am just more interested in like animals and things like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, rocks are hard to get excited about. Yeah, I mean, of course there are people out there who love rocks. They have the rocks tumblers. Yeah, they're touching rocks, they're looking at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I have heard people in my life like actually talk about rocks and I'm like, well, that's interesting, Like you are so excited about that. That sounds interesting.
Speaker 3: That's the best. I don't care what the topic is. If the person's excited to be talking.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, then it's like that what I mean?
Speaker 3: Anything? Right? How does that feel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well I should at least name the different things on here, at least try. There's a granite pegmatite, a low grand diorite, Wilson quartz diorite. Of course. Oh, I should be looking at them and describing them. That's more exciting. A horn blend gabbro, which is kind of a black and white specked, a muscavite mica schist, which is more of a like a gorgeous coppery with a white. That's probably the most appealing rock on this page. There's a milky quartz, and then there's a nice g N E I S S which is kind of a granite rock. And then the probably second favorite on here for me is the biotite mica schist Oh wow, yeah or schist or botit mica sheast. I don't know. It's Look how gorgeous this is. It's a kind of a shimmering black onyx kind of volcanic. I would say, I.
Speaker 2: Would say volcanic as well. And you know it now that you say that, I do think that is really related to what the metamorphic is.
Speaker 3: It is kind of a lava. I mean, am I just thinking magma and I'm mad jumping to metamorphic?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm really excited to see, like how many like what the Venn diagram is of Like people who listen to the podcasts we are experts on ross always gonna they're gonna have a lot to say about that.
Speaker 3: It's always interesting to see somebody who yeah, and also who's like listening to a podcast about someone who's talking about the secret lives and Mormon wives and has a decent knowledge of the Earth's minerals. People are dynamic. They're layers. They are as layered as our planet.
Speaker 2: They're as layered as well. These pieces of.
Speaker 3: Rock as the horn Blend gabro. Yeah. Well, well, I'm really excited to have this. It's very stylish. I feel like it's really classy looking.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The font is good. Yeah. Oh, it was two dollars I pay for this.
Speaker 2: He did not pay for it.
Speaker 3: So someone paid two dollars, probably in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so I do think these gluede on there before I was borne.
Speaker 3: Formation of the Earth. Yes, was kind of the We had the Big Bang and then suddenly people were going crazy with a glue gun, right, just putting rocks on sheets for learning. Yeah. Okay, well, I think it's time to play a game. Okay, We're gonna play a game called Gift or a Curse. I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 2: Five.
Speaker 3: Okay. I have to do some like calculating right now to get our game pieces. So right now, you can recommend, you can promote, you can talk more on the subjects of eating canyon, whatever you feel like. I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see, I'm gonna be in Portland, Oregon doing my solo live show August thirty. First. That's about it for me. I don't really have much else going on. I'm so excited to be on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything to recommend? What have you enjoyed recently?
Speaker 2: Mm? Okay. I'm currently reading Orlando by virgin Oh and I don't know if I know I'm late to the game sort of many regards, but I don't like. This book is blowing my mind.
Speaker 3: I've never read Virginia wolf I've obviously, like I studied a little bit about her in college, but never not even to the Lighthouse.
Speaker 2: She is okay, I would recommend to the Lighthouse. She is one of those writers that like you're like, oh, for Daniel wolf everyone talks about and then you read her and you're like, Okay, this is this is pretty awesome. Like Orlando is like a queer trans It's about Virginia Wolfe's friend who was a sort of like androgynist lesbian that she became bessies with and later a romance published letters between them. But she wrote this book about this person, Vita, and so Orlando is about. It starts out as like about a teenage boy who one day goes to sleep, wakes up as a woman, spens a woman, and it's written in this crazy way, like it's like the writing is awesome and you're reading it and you're like, what.
Speaker 3: Year did this?
Speaker 2: God, this is crazy. And so it's like about this person that you had this romance with, right, and so it's blowing my mind lovely. I know my friend told me about it. I was like, you're making that up, no way. Virginia Wolf wrote that you're crazy.
Speaker 3: It is interesting, like when you go back to old art that like has been pushed into the shadows or whatever because of its content, and then you read it and it's like, oh, this feels so unbelievably contemporary because that people were uncomfortable with the ideas at the time. Totally so, but then you read it, it feels like, oh, this could have been published within the last you know, little while one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and like no doubt, Like, I mean, Orlando is kind of an extreme one, but I'm sure that there are like English teachers who have been like teaching this book and are like it's not gay, like and definitely it's a normal, normal book.
Speaker 3: If you take anything away from Orlando it's just a nice friendship. It's fantasy. I can tell you that much. Okay, that's a great recommendation.
Speaker 2: I love a book recommendation, so I would recommend that it's really fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, wonderful. What am I? Oh, do you know what I'm gonna My sister just started a business. I'm going to promote it. I'm going to use my platform to help a family member that she started a business. She's a work in the nick you for a long time. She's a nurse and started a business called love z Baby l u V s I e Baby. And I am not a mother or father, have no children of my own, never will, so I can speak expertly on this topic. Yeah, it's some sort of device or no, it's a clothing that the baby can wear. And my sister has a mother of three, has figured out what you need. So I'm going to recommend that l u V s i ebaby dot Com. What a gift to give. I just gave some to a friend. Go look at me supporting a family member.
Speaker 2: You're using for for the first time ever for good? Yeah, wow, and I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I love my sister, so we've got to support that that's awesome. That's the big recommendation. I hope I explained that in some way or mysteriously enough that the listener's like, well, I've got to get some baby clothes.
Speaker 2: I'm interested. I mean, it's always interesting when someone who with such experience if something is making a product for it, because I'm like, you literally know what.
Speaker 3: Yes, you were like, oh, I'm fed up with not having this product. That's like the best kind of thing. Yes, yes, I wonder what that'll be for me. What's my big invention?
Speaker 2: Hmmm?
Speaker 3: Oh god, hm, dentist open on Sundays. Oh yeah, it's not a bad idea. No, that's just basically a dentist. But it's open on Sunday.
Speaker 2: It could be called Sunday Dentists.
Speaker 3: That feels like something that could happen. That's within the realm of possibility. We've got to get into the game. My God, gift or a curse. I'm gonna name three things. You're gonna tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers. Trans lightly be careful. Oh number one, this is from a listener named Emma Lake, gift or a curse electrical outlets with USB ports in them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say curse, and I'm gonna say curse because lately the Apple or I don't know who's controlling this, they're phasing out USB ports. That one time it was like the thing you needed for everything. And now I get a phone charger and it's got the other kind in it.
Speaker 3: Uh, maybe it's called the lightning no USBC, Yes that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So does that still count about what we're talking about, because I'm thinking the USPN we're talking tradition. Yeah, yeah, you know, it's been around for a couple decades. Like I was just in the airport and I was stuck there because my flight kept getting delayed, and I own this was my fault, ultimately, but I only had the like tiny USBC or at the end of my phone charger, Like I didn't have the part that plugs into the wall, and all the things around me had the wall plug and then the big USB and I had to go freaking buy a freaking dapter.
Speaker 3: Oh that's my worst nightmare, buying electronics at the airport.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was so stupid.
Speaker 3: Oh and it would cost one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Truly, I can't even think about it. But it was like so I was like, oh, like in a different moment in time, this would have been oh great, there's a USB thing, But I'm like, it's just going to get outdated soon.
Speaker 3: Right, right, wrong, Okay, gift, absolutely a gift. I mean, first of all, still mildly convenient. Second of all, their retro, their chic, their nostalgic. We're all think we're looking at those in ten years and thinking, well, I used to be able to use that back when things were better, because things will get worse, yeah, yeah, as they continue to just slide downhill. Yeah, but we'll be in the airport, we'll be looking at the USB port and thinking life was so much simpler when I had the clunky, square shaped USB, and you'll be able to just kind of lose yourself at the airport or in a hotel room.
Speaker 2: So you're saying I should have had a better attitude. You should have I should have looked at that and said I miss that happily.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly exactly. We've got to appreciate them while they're being phased out. And then appreciate them after when they're obsolete and kind of taking up space that could be used in better ways. Okay, why are we changing the thing constantly? I don't doesn't it don't feel like it does a better job.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's taking our money.
Speaker 3: It's just it feels like it charges about the same.
Speaker 2: Why did they take the CD poor out of laptops?
Speaker 3: They're going nuts? Well, I will say, I finally got a new laptop and this has what's called the mag safe, which is the magnet one like that. I love that so like if it gets pulled, it doesn't like destroy the computer.
Speaker 2: That was a smart I know they did away with that and they're bringing it back.
Speaker 3: Yes, they kind of learned their lesson. I think, well then it's nice to see.
Speaker 2: A corporation learn a less Now I'm coveting the new thing. Now I'm looking at it and I kind of want that.
Speaker 3: I'm essentially driving a Ferrari.
Speaker 2: It's driving me crazy.
Speaker 3: The mag safe is the ultimate one. That's how it should be for everybody. Yeah, for every port. Let's get into that. Let's get that in places where we need them. Yeah, okay, so you did get no point?
Speaker 2: Okay, which so I'm losing.
Speaker 3: The audience is upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number two, This is from my listener named Anna Gift or a curse clapping at the end of a movie.
Speaker 2: Gift and why I know that I'm going to get this one wrong. Gift because I don't know. You've experienced something with the community of people that you're now bonded to forever, and you're showing that you were all in it together and appreciating the thing you just saw. Oh I'm sorry, Sorry, that's a horrible night at the movie. It's so fun. But no, you're gonna say it's weird vibe ej.
Speaker 3: It's a gift. You got it right. Of course, who are we to say that not to clap at the end of a movie. We're all erupting. We're feeling like we're feeling renewed and ready to get back out in life and take whatever we took from the movie. Yeah, we're stronger because of it. We're growing together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I had one complaint, okay, it's so we would wait until the bear the credits have completely rolled, where you've sat through fifteen minutes of credits silently, okay, then erupt into applause.
Speaker 2: So you're the only one left in the theater clapping by yourself.
Speaker 3: So what I'm yeah, basically saying is I want it to be a solo experience and I want the theater employees to be uneasy.
Speaker 2: Oh right, they're yeah, they're cleaning up around you. They're like, please please leave.
Speaker 3: And you're standing ovation, standing up and cheering.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, No, I do think it is a nice thing, although I do like I feel like, I mean, I'm my best self at the movies.
Speaker 3: Oh in what way?
Speaker 2: I mean? I'm just so happy. Oh I love going to the movies, and lately I've be come in AMC a lister.
Speaker 3: I am too. Okay, okay, so I have you know, it has its ups and downs, and I do feel like I'm being blackmailed. Oh yeah, totally because if you you know, if you cancel, they say, well, you can't sign up for another six months, which feels to me.
Speaker 2: It's strange illegal.
Speaker 3: It does. It's not illegal apparently, but it does seem a little like, guys, you'll kill your family member, right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, yeah, are you allowed to tell me that I'm not supposed to do that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I know. I had a friend that canceled and she does regret it everything because she's trapped. Yeah, and it's like, oh, let's go to the movies, and it's like, well, Sophie can't, She's legally not allowed. I Yeah. So I have been going to see just so many more movies since becoming an a lister, and I do feel like it's opened up this side of me that's like I'll go see anything basically like it's free. Of course it's not.
Speaker 3: You want to get your money's for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so even when I've seen maybe the worst movie I've ever seen in my life, i still feel the need to clap because I'm like because I'm just like, woo, we did it like you like and here we are, Like, I'm so jovial. It's crazy. What's the last movie you saw? The last one I saw was Twisters? Oh that's that feels like a clapping At the end.
Speaker 3: Of the movie.
Speaker 2: I was like, look at us, you know, sure that was that happened.
Speaker 3: There were the Twisters, there was the Yeah. I don't remember that much else from it. I just remember a lot of jarring music cues.
Speaker 2: The music. I mean, that was awesome.
Speaker 3: That was crazy. Oh so you haven't seen Cuckoo. No, okay, I would love to talk to somebody about Cuckoo. I don't really want to see Cuckoo.
Speaker 2: That's on my list.
Speaker 3: I will say to anyone listening, absolutely read the Wikipedia plot summary before going to see the movie. Why. I may have fallen asleep at some point, but there was a point where it's like, what happened?
Speaker 2: Confusing?
Speaker 3: What is the goal for anyone in this movie?
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you got confused, definitely I'm going to be confused.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you know. I mean we are intelligence is the vast Gulf. I think it's just like an unbelievably convoluted bizarre It's like it is a bizarre movie. But then it gets a point where it's like, well, I don't care, but get you get spooked.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's some some frights and something bad. It sounds bad.
Speaker 3: You'll you'll probably scream a little bit or jump. Okay, there's a scary looking thing, so that's probably worth saying. But just try not to care. That's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: Okay, easy, easy, I don't care about anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, so now you've gotten one out of two, which is incredible.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: This is. Finally, the third suggestion is from someone named Gibson, and it says gift or a curse people who send you their New York Times wordal results.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know that's never happened to me. I don't really know what that says about anything, but I would say I feel like this being sent in tells me it's a curse. Okay, right, just something about I'm like, it sounds like you're it sounds like Gibson's annoyed. I don't know, like maybe that's a reach, but I'm kind of like it sounds like they're like, enough.
Speaker 3: I'm taking this to a public may like, stop doing this. I will humiliate you. Yeah, okay, so you've never experienced it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I also feel like the vibe of, like unprompted sending someone a score on anything you're like a result in this way feels kind of like, I mean, I guess what's wrong with sharing your accomplishments if you're proud of it. I maybe we should destigmatize that. I should destigmatize that. But I am like, it does feel like you're forcing me to react, Like you're looking for a reaction and you want it to be.
Speaker 3: Good job, honey, you're right. Curse okay, And for me this is a curse because I think word's sucks. Yeah. Have you played wordle?
Speaker 2: I literally never have.
Speaker 3: It's so much a guessing game. Yeah. I don't like a guessing I need a little bit more logic. It's basically I think it's like five letters or something. I could guess what is the five So there's a there is too much of an element of guessing. Yeah, I know there's strategy involved blah blah blah, but I need for a moment one to be able to say I can think about this and get the answer rather than I'm gonna give a word that has the letters that uppear most often? Who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. And I feel like the way that it is talked about is like a sort of sort of like cultural like it's like, oh, I'm like, I'm so smart if you're doing it well, Like I really like attributing it to a certain but what you're saying is true. It's like, I mean, is it about being smarter?
Speaker 3: It sounds like someone's a little lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I think sorry, But like I mean, which is fine, like good to.
Speaker 3: Be lucky if God's watching out for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, but like it's not. I mean, there's other ways to demonstrate in tellidence, you know, send me a fact, send me a fact.
Speaker 3: I would love for friends to just send me fact. That's actually not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like fact sharing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to just suddenly get a like a surprise piece of information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have my friends and I At one point we're doing the like a PowerPoint thing where we were like giving each other presentations on PowerPoint.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is great.
Speaker 2: About a subject, which I think. I'm like, okay, wait, I should do that again. That's so fun. But it is kind of like, okay, what do you know a lot about right now? It's like you have the floor, like teach us something.
Speaker 3: Do you remember what you taught about?
Speaker 2: Okay, honestly it was about the Bachelor, but it was this was a specific one. It was sort of Bachelor. It was there was a bachelor tilt to it because we were kind of like teaching each other about different Okay, but you could do it with any subjects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. Yeah, I mean because you kind of stopped giving reports after elementary school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like, come on, I mean, are we not all lifelong learners.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're trying. We're absolutely trying, right, and to have the chance to give a report so fine. Oh that sounds wonderful to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think. I feel like reports I gave in elementary school were on mummies. Oh is it the ocean?
Speaker 2: Very cool?
Speaker 3: Uh? That's those are the two I can remember. Oh and I gave no. I think I did a state report on Nevada.
Speaker 2: Oh nice. My state was Georgia. Georgia.
Speaker 3: Did you get to pick?
Speaker 2: I think so, I'm like, why did I pick Georgia? That maybe they just designed to do it.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of what happened with us picking states was people really either went for one with Disney property, okay, or like a food that they could like give as a sample.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I mean freaking that's so cool, right, Like I don't know, barbecue Memphis?
Speaker 3: Did you give peaches?
Speaker 2: That's not his state?
Speaker 3: Georgia?
Speaker 2: No A. The assignment was you actually wrote a song about it and then you performed it at a recital. Oh my, and I will say one of the this was fifth grade. One of the fifth grade teachers pulled me aside and said, your song is the best song.
Speaker 3: Do you remember anything about it? Can you say any of it?
Speaker 2: It was to the tune of my Favorite Things, Like they all like the tune of writing. Oh my god, it's actually so embarrassing because obviously I was obsessed with like the fact that I was like, I don't know, I'm not a good singer, Like I had never been a good singer. But I was like, I sound amazing. And of course it was like I was very like I'm I'm political. I grew up in Portland, Oregon, so of course I had this like also at the time, like big ego about like being like like or like progressive, and so then it's like this weird thing where I was like, oh, I'm doing Georgia and like the South. At all I know is that that is there's a lot of complicated stuff, and it's like okay, as if there's not in Portland, organ but whatever. And I and so my song was like really about like racism.
Speaker 3: Wow, a racist parent. They're not racist, but uh, pardy about racism? Yeah, set to the tune of my Favorite Things. Yeah, wow, I cannot imagine.
Speaker 2: It was there was like mention of peaches. There was mention, but it was like it was like trying to do like a political thing, which, of course it's like all very classical, like of course this like fifth grade teacher in Portland was like, sweetie, you're really telling the truth here. It's like, don't let me have that platform?
Speaker 3: Like does video exist?
Speaker 2: No? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it's an audio recording, yeah, I know, I should record it now.
Speaker 2: I wish. And I'm sure that if I, like, if I brought if I reminded my parents of this, I'm sure they would be like, honey, it was. It was pretty amazing. Exactly what's wrong with me?
Speaker 3: I need you get to get into the studio and record this for people. I mean maybe that's what the country needs right now.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're so right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's what we're waiting for.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, for me to speak on the racial dynamics and joyja exactly.
Speaker 3: This will do only good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Okay, well you got two out of three. Okay, two out of three isn't bad. I mean you started off on such a horrible note that I thought I would almost just shut the game down. Yeah, I thought you're right, kind of just getting a fight with you and then ask you to leave. But you turn things around and we love that. This is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I Said No Emails. People write in I Said No Gifts at gmail dot com and they need answers they have. You know, people have all kinds of things happening in their lives. They're desperate, they're begging, they're turning to me and my guests. Let me answer a question. Absolutely, okay, this says dear Bridger and disrespectfully beautiful guest, which is kind of a bad boy image that you're kind of you're always cultivating it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's really accurate.
Speaker 3: My husband's fortieth birthday is at the end of August. Normally we keep adult birthdays really low key, but since this is a milestone birthday, I want to do something really special. Historically, my gifts to him are given a lackluster acknowledgment of appreciation and generally return to the day they are opened. That is aggressive, beat guys. Ok Is it me? Probably? But his love language is gifts. Mine is acts of service, and I do my best with that being said, I am a stay at home mom with no outside income, so anything bought for him is bought with his paycheck. He is very frugal, so I feel like his preference would be for me to not buy him anything, but that doesn't sit well with me. My ideal gift for him would be to organize his home office aka the hoarder hole. He has worked from home exclusively since March twenty twenty. These two needs some rooms, give him some space. He blurs his Zoom background because he is embarrassed of the clutter, and even though I have offered several times, he will not let me repay and organize his space because I am a minimalist and he believes I will throw everything away. Okay, he's probably right, not one hundred percent accurate, but if it doesn't serve a purpose it goes in the track, you will do. Yes, you will be throwing away valuable items. Paint and shelving can get expensive, especially when you're containing mass amounts of an unnecessary clutter, and I don't want to go in his sacred space without permission. Do I continue to badger him about the office. Do I get him nothing, knowing that most likely would be his preference. Do I just throw a pool party for family and friends. There are pools coming into this equation, which could also get expensive with food and decorations. Or do I just go on the lamb and return in September? Please help? Sinceriust apologies for the length of this email not accepted. That apology is not accepted. Nicole from Kansas. Nicole's marriage is they I mean, she's got to go on a vacation, She's got to get away from the sky.
Speaker 2: I am. I'm a little worried he's returning the gifts day of Like, it's interesting that she's special. Is that his love language is gift giving?
Speaker 3: Is that what she said? Let's see, I want to just we want to be fair to oh love languages gifts.
Speaker 2: So I'm like that feels, I'm sorry, like a mismatch if like the gifts aren't I don't know right, Wow.
Speaker 3: I mean they've been trapped in the same space since March twenty twenty. Yeah, she's kind of like and he's just gathering crap, Yeah, bring buying things fro himself, obviously bringing them to home, blurring the background. He doesn't want whoever's on that zoom to know what's happening. Yeah, so he's feeling shame or he's communicating with like a secret wife and doesn't want her to be aware of his home life.
Speaker 2: Right, what is this guy?
Speaker 3: Is bad news?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then they have a.
Speaker 2: Pool, so it's like how bad can it be?
Speaker 3: They just like all of their money into the swimming pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I look, it's hard because I hear pool party, and that's kind of all I'm thinking about is, Wow, you to have a pool party. But I'm going to try to stay focused here. Yeah, I feel like, I mean, it sounds like I don't want to overreach, but it sounds like maybe there is some like money available, Like you guys aren't super super tight on cash, just judging by the pool and other things mentioned, right, So I'm wondering if there's an option of like a hiring of an outside person who could help with the organization of the office.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, because I've heard of this conceptually that like sometimes when people are married, the clutter or the dirtiness of the home it's like brings up a lot of dynamics right in the relationships. So it's like, if they have access to money, like it can be nicer to have to hire someone else to do it.
Speaker 3: Right, So you're not thinking, oh I resent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, chuck, Right, this is something that I've heard of, right, because I feel like if she's getting in there and she's you know, roaring through stuff, tossing it into the dumpster, right, that's going to lead to bigger problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, who knows what might be used for work. Yeah, and it feels like, I mean, no offense in aicle, But it sounds like you're bad at organizing this sort of thing. You're just throwing everything away.
Speaker 2: I mean, it sounds like there's some serious lapses in communication in this relationship.
Speaker 3: She's turned to a podcast host. Yeah, the times that spent here, she could have gotten a little job to pay for therapy. Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, this would be my other suggestion for going way back to suggest a piece of media for people. The show Couples Therapy. Oh is changing my life?
Speaker 3: Ah, I mean, let's just prepare for another hour of the poducty.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, literally the most perfect woman in the world.
Speaker 3: No, we're not moving away from four enough for a minute. We watched all four seasons within probably six days.
Speaker 2: Literally, my partner and I are like, should we want another episode? Is that crazy? Like we're obsessed?
Speaker 3: How far into it are you?
Speaker 2: So we just finished season one, halfway through season two.
Speaker 3: Okay, it all kind of blurs together for me, it's season two.
Speaker 2: That's like mekl and Michael.
Speaker 3: Oh yo, that yeah, that's situation is it looks I all over the place?
Speaker 2: Crazy stuff. Doesn't it make you feel so much better about your relationship?
Speaker 3: We would say that at the end of every episode, it's like, Oh, we don't really have problems.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait, we literally love each other. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: We're not like screaming at each other.
Speaker 2: And just like in hysterics, no, I know, because it's like, well, we know how to talk to each other, and a lot of these people literally don't know how to talk to her at all. And they are and they've been together for some of them a long.
Speaker 3: Time, years and years and years.
Speaker 2: So crazy. But get to have Orna, I mean, I know, just so soothing she is. And then when she talks to her advisor about.
Speaker 3: Oh I love the advisor, the advisor always looks wet. Yeah, yea, I see someone's dumped a bucket of water over her. And then they're like, Okay, let's get the shot.
Speaker 2: She's busy, she's she's thinking about everybody else's stuff. Her pasture is always like always yeah, fall is like love, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to name the advisor. What is her name? Virginia, Virginia Goldener. We need to give her credit because she is amazingly maybe the star of the show.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so like when the two of them are talking, I'm like, oh, I want to.
Speaker 3: Be in that ar I'm like soaking up.
Speaker 2: I love the way they speak to each other, and I truly feel like I'm learning something every episode.
Speaker 3: And to see someone like Orna, who clearly knows so much still willing to learn.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, exactly because you're like she is, I would say, by any standard, an expert in her fields. Yes, And yet of course there is someone she goes to with questions.
Speaker 3: There's always somebody who knows a little bit more.
Speaker 2: As we all should be willing to do is admit I don't know the.
Speaker 3: Answer to this right now. There's there's one thing I will say about the entire show that about once a season, I'll have to thought, well, what if she's a bad therapist. I've never seen a couple's therapies. Yeah, maybe this is just like baseline.
Speaker 2: I know, but I will say I've seen a regular, regular therapist, right, and definitely like she is better than.
Speaker 3: A lot of the Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: What's also then you kind of have to do the thing of like these people are being there is a camera in the room.
Speaker 3: Yes, which always well not in the room apparently through two way mirrors. No way. Yes, I think there's like a whole construct that's like man that tries I mean, but they're obviously aware there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that does make me feel better because I was picturing like a camera guy like it's like.
Speaker 3: Well, can we get that again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, say that line one more time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which would be crazy, but also you know what I mean, but it is.
Speaker 3: So beautifully shot. Intimately why I.
Speaker 2: Want to be in her office. I'm like, her dog comes in. I'm like, oh this guy again.
Speaker 3: You know, Nicole from Kansas, can we recommend? I think what Nicole from Kansas needs to do is sign herself and ungrateful husband up for a seven day trial of Paramount Plus yeah free, yeah, and then binge this show together.
Speaker 2: It Like, genuinely I think it could be a nice, like, oh, like, let's watch this show, Like you're not saying, let's go to couples therapy right, which, by the way, once you know, I do think that's also a very normal thing to do. People say, do it before the problems? Yes, but yeah harmful. Oh I heard about this show. We could watch it, you know, right, that's perfect. See what it brings out.
Speaker 3: I will say when I've recommended a couple of therapy tes certain friends who are in a relationship, you get a real sense of what might be happening in their relationship by the way they accept the recommendation to the show, like oh no, I oh no, now I know something about the two of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know totally. They're like, oh, I don't know if we would. I don't know, but I do you think that would be fun for us to watch her?
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm gonna go, Nicole, Okay, here's the final This is the gift pool party with one of those floating movie screens. Yes, projecting Apples therapy with your free trial to Paramount plus Bliss. The whole family watching Couple's Therapy. It's all unfolding. Problems will arise, problems will be solved. Ye, yeah, a fortieth to remember a fortieth. I mean, he'll try to forget col if I ever hear from you again. I mean it's I will shut down my inbox. Just back off. Oh J. The journey we've been through here are I mean, I mean it's just been a journey of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: We covered everything.
Speaker 3: We covered I mean the basically the formation of the planet, all the way up to Orna.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was at the top the peak of evolution.
Speaker 3: Is kind of a guy, a mother figure. So maybe she's kind of the bookend to Earth. That makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: I stand by that completely. Orna reach out, Oh my god or not. If you're listening, you've changed my life. I think about you a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't just think about I feel you're just flowing through my.
Speaker 2: Blood, like genuinely, it's like haha. But also like I lately, when I've been like in conversation with someone, I'm listening, I'm thinking about the way that she listens. I'm like, how do I kind of channel that?
Speaker 3: It's so amazing, so amazing. She's so expressive, Yes, incredible human being.
Speaker 2: EJ.
Speaker 3: I'm so thankful to have these rocks God, I'm so good. I'm gonna be able to display them. I will not be able to teach a thing about them, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: Don't need it.
Speaker 3: Listener, look for EJ as a Docentaton Canyon. Yeah, also look up EJ online Instagram. This sort of thing. I feel like it didn't quite get into self promotion in a way that I would have encouraged, that I would have appreciated. So, you know, Instagram, you're probably on other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I have a TikTok Okay, I am on Twitter.
Speaker 3: That one's weirder that one's graveyard.
Speaker 2: Graveyard don't yeah, actually erase that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like wandering through a tomb like spiderwebs.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's really upsetting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I heard somebody sincerely refer to it as X the other day giving that Twitter always. Yeah, okay, this, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: I've had a wonderful time for having me. This was epic.
Speaker 3: Listener, the podcast is over. Maybe look up some of those rocks and try to teach yourself something. That's the utility of this podcast. We spark an interest and then you learn on your own. So we're companions rather than I'm not just the teacher. We're basically on the same level. So that's why we are a better podcast than the Daily. This is the end of the show. I love you goodbye. I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend on Aalise Nilson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Talla and we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Coottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no Gifts, I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting, And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 1: And I invited you hear found a man myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to me, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, your presences presence enough and I already too much stuff, So how do you dare to survey me