Speaker 1: Warning today's episode Candy's spoilers for the fifth episode of the excellent new season of X Men ninety seven. Be warned. Hello, my name is Jason Exceptino and I'm Rosy Night, and welcome back to Extra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture coming from my heart, where we're bringing you through episodes a week.
Speaker 2: Lustners on today's episode, Guys, this is maybe one of the craziest episode seasons of TV if you're an X Men fan that has ever existed.
Speaker 1: It began very dense and lore heavy.
Speaker 2: We talked about some of the crazy polls and it's only getting crazier. If you live for an Easter egg. If you want to be pausing that TV and saying, oh my god, is that really question Mark, then you are gonna love this episode. We teased it when we were talking about the titles, and this is episode five Weapon x Lies and DVDs. If you are an X Men fan or an x ray Vision listener, you will know that's a reference.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. Okay. Episode five picks up after the post credits of episode four, So remember Wolverine has no adamantium after the events of season one when he poked Magneto and Magneto got really mad and ripped all his adamantium ount. Yes, so now Wolverine has decided that for secret reasons of his own, we are soon discover that he needs to take out a revamped WEAPONX project that apparently has spun up somewhere. Yeah, so he reunites his He finds this information out from Captain America, who is like, hey, is Can really dangerous? You shouldn't get Logan's like, I'm gonna do it. So he pulls together and this the pulling together of this team needs its own episode. So he pulls together his original CIA backed Weapon X team when he was a full memory wiped government operative and it is Graden Creed Sabertooth YEP, which is crazy. I guess he just like called him on the phone. Broro called him and was like, I need you for this.
Speaker 2: They don't, Yeah, they don't, Like they just kind of hint that that's his joker.
Speaker 1: There's this morphe is obviously there.
Speaker 2: So there's this great kind of banter where he gets to have the meta commentary of the fan. But yeah, I mean this is a crazy team. Also Jason Lady death Strike. We love to see Yuko's.
Speaker 1: Old flame slash something the relationship. Very average. Lady death Strike aka Eureko.
Speaker 2: Gotta say, uh friend of the pod rika Ish voices Eureko in this episode. So we've had her on the show, We've had him on the show, and uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just absolutely loved this representation. Also much more comic accurate.
Speaker 2: In the movies, she's often sexier. They reimagine the nails. But this is a really freaky, kind of like X Men comics weird team and I love that.
Speaker 1: And then two of the kind of less well known but if you were a comics fan at the time, very fun inclusions Maverick Christopher Nord, who is a They never really get into it in the comics, but the suggestion is his like mom and dad were like Nazis that fled and somehow that became part of the precursored weapon X Anyway, he.
Speaker 2: Is sometimes it's Communism, sometimes it's Nazis, just depending on much question right.
Speaker 1: And he's a mutant who can absorb energy kinetic energy, much like uh, you know, Sebastian Charlavacking and was later implanted through Weapon X with a kind of low level healing factor. And then Kane, Garrison Kane, who has like a Elvis type greaser haircut and has like cybernetic bionic lens. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to say, this is like such a crazy time to be us and to be our Age because you know, with Maverick you're talking about a frickin Larry Harmer and Mark Silvestri creation. This is like legendary eighties and nineties shit here, and Garrison Kane is a fucking Fabian Nachenzenbroubleifeld X force creation like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is pure.
Speaker 2: Crazy to see this on TV in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: This is the stuff we grew up reading.
Speaker 2: This is the stuff that made X Men the biggest selling comic in the world, and.
Speaker 1: It is so surreal to see it here.
Speaker 2: And what I love is the way that they use Morph as the kind of in commentary character who makes these kind of quipi statements about Wolverine's relationships with each of the characters to fill in people who don't know the law.
Speaker 1: It's really well done. So they fly out to the WEAPONEX facility and there's that banter you talk about with morph basically saying, like, how weird it is that Logan has assembled this group that includes like his ex girlfriend Lady death Strike, who's tried to kill him multiple times, including in the original X Men the animated series, and of course Sabertooth, who you mentioned. It is like the yin to his yang. They hate each other, they can't live without each other, blah blah blah blah blah. They both have kids who are toxic. Like, it's very, very weird. So they arrive at the facility there there via plane crash, like these mutated birds crash their plane. King immediately dies, which is perfect. It's yeah, right, it's like so sad but soaperfect. He's the let. He's kind of like the least of all of these extended characters, even if you extend them out to like Phantom X and all the other weird ones that are associated with us. Perfect that Cane doesn't live, So the survivors fight their way down into the complex. They find Cornelius, and from Cornelius they get what WEBINX was up to. So Cornelius is like, yes, he does a standard villain monologue and he's like, so the problem with WEAPONX previously, which went on for decades, is we could just never wipe your minds enough, Like we tried really hard to wipe your minds, but somebody would always remain, and that caused a lot of instability in the program and we lost control of the program. And so we discovered a way to potentially create complete mind control, and that's by using the brains of the Brood, the crazy species called the Brood, which is of course based on the movie series Aliens, although I don't think Marvel has ever truly talked about.
Speaker 2: That and say it's Zeitgeist dcing is Chris Clabon at Dave cockrob created them like three years off the Alien like I think we did.
Speaker 1: It is pretty clear. And so the coded the Brood operate on a hive mined communication system, so like the Queen and all her soldiers just operate on this kind of like neural net. And so doctor Cornelius is like, if we could figure out a way to use the Brood's brains to be part of Weapon X, and we could create fully controllable WEAPONX soldiers. So the team splits up. Of course, Cornelius is already infected with the Brood and so they this is like part of the reveal. The team splits up Logan and Maverick head one, Morph and Lady death Strike and Sabertooth go another way. We see via the second group, Morph, Death Strike and Sabertooth. They go to like an office where they find very interestingly like a rack of DVDs labeled with many names of folks associated with with this program. And there's some doozies in here. We see X twenty three Laura, we love it, Ajax, Aurora Phantom X, which is a it will become an increasingly important one and it makes me wonder if we're gonna see Phantom X in X Men ninety seven. At some point it was like with Crazy.
Speaker 2: This many episodes left, like we still have four episodes I don't and everything we've seen, and how quickly they just intro the brew Toso was so huge in the comics, I wouldn't put anything aside.
Speaker 1: At this point, anything could happen Winter Soldier, so y yay. Apparently Weapon X stretched all the way to Soviet Russia and somehow there were links there, so very interesting there. Maybe they maybe they like collaborated with the Soviet Union on like the memory wipe technology. Who knows this is? That's very interesting. Mastodon silver Fox, who is Wolverine's first girlfriend indigenous Canadian woman.
Speaker 2: He's such a lothario. I mean he is the short king Blueprint. Let's be real. This man was like five foot two in the nineties and two hundred comics and every go on a top sex with them, including all the women in the X Men, apparently maybe not Jane Gray enough as he would want.
Speaker 1: We see also Kestrel, who is the codename of John Wraith. There is Weapon six, yep Worm and Slugo, who are both very very obscure WEAPONX rejects from I believe Joe Kelly's Deadpool run, which is like a crazy.
Speaker 2: Guy coded uh Slugo because also it's like a fucking Nanzy reference and.
Speaker 1: I love Nazi, but yeah, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: It was really like he's a He's another Fabian creation originally, but he is probably best known for the the Deadpool stuff and drawn by one of my all time faves, originally, Greg Coppolo.
Speaker 1: We love him. He's the best. Weapon six, who is in early it's like the the Weapon X era between Captain America, who is canonically Weapon one and Wolverine who is Weapon X ten. So Weapon is six is like the middle between Capa and Wolverine when they like had when they revealed had figured it out, you know. And then finally they end up watching a Weapon eighteen's DVD. So Weapon eighteen, I guess is closer to where Cornelius was currently and it contains Cornelius's recordings and as he's kind of like walking them through the late series, kind of like Weapon X designations. So they find out that the brood, They find out about the brood, the hive mind, the shared psyche, the imperative survive to survive, and they discover through watching this DVD that, of course Conductor Corlews cocked it up. You can't show the brood the fucking and well, first of all, the brood. They wanted to implant the brood with adamantium, but it didn't work, no brood hosts, so they were merging the brood, infecting people with the brood infection, and none of them ever survived the adamant bonding process. And then of course they they got they lost control more than does the math, a hive that hunts for a stronger host is going to ignore people. It's gonna hunt them for the strongest among them and try and bond with whoever that is. And just as that's happening, Logan and Maverick are under attack, Maverick dies and by the time the others reached the Adamantium chamber, Wolverine has been infected. This is canonical. Is an Uncanny X Men Marx Silvestr era police.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and we get a full Mark Silvestry Uncanny X Men cover, the famous Brood cover.
Speaker 1: There's a full homage to it.
Speaker 2: I also want to say, this is again like very specific fan service for kids who grew up in the nineties, but it.
Speaker 1: Is really crazy. I can see this like purple and green cover like on my stack of comics.
Speaker 2: And and also like the kind of wild wolverine you know, and he's got the brood. And also there is this great moment here that I did wonder if it was going to lead to something else along the line with Magneto adamantium, because all the other weapon Xes are so shocked when they see Wolverine's bone claws and they're like, wait a minute, you can us the adamantium process. And I thought that was really interesting because I've always thought wouldn't they try and do that with Magneto at least? But yeah, I mean, there's just so many fun moments here, and it's so Mark Silvestri and we even get like one of the ultimate nineties characters in the kind of big action sequence that comes next.
Speaker 1: So during the fight, first of all, they discover that Omega Reed is like in a test tube in the room and appears to be I mean, he's he's I believe immortal, so like he's definitely alive in there. And during the fight with uh with Brood Logan, the two cracks and of course Omega Ribes comes out, and now you have to fight Omega Reed crazy and everybody there's like a big argument. Sabertooth is like I'm leaving. Morpho is like, no, we have to save Logan. Oh, he doesn't want to leave him behind. He doesn't want to leave him behind. But the thing is everybody has kind of come to the conclusion. They've all figured out that the Logan lied to them. He told everybody, Hey, we're gonna go and once and for all like wipe out Doctor Cornelius and Weapon X. Really what Wolverine was doing. They figure out was he was coming here to try to get his adamantium back. Well, that's how they eventually end up taking out or reversing Wolverine's brood process. They lure him into the adamantium chamber. Morph hits the button, the syringes go in, the adamantium is pumped into wolverine molten adamantium. It kills the brood infection, and Wolverine emerges now readamantemized. He fights Omegared and they win. So they beat Omegared, with Wolverine saying I'm back, baby, I'm the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Wick, they were really like he said I'm back baby.
Speaker 1: Literally he said baby, I'm back. And they go to fly away and as they're flying home, Morph is very quiet and hurt, clearly because because he's disappointed that Wolverine lied to him, and he tries to say to Wolverine, you know, you don't have to be this like demented killer all the time, and he's like, but that's what I'm best at. And oh, very very sad stuff. Let's take a quick break and then we'll come back and discuss this insane episode and also to discuss that we were right, like we've ever been more right. We've never been more right.
Speaker 2: And I do want to say I want to shout out our sweet friends in the discord who did question maybe we've seen the head.
Speaker 1: No, we were just made for this.
Speaker 2: Like this literally was the series that me and Jason Will tested and made for in the WEAPONEX facility.
Speaker 1: So let's come back and talk about it. Yeah, and we were back wonderful easter eggs in this episode. The whole episode is almost an Easter egg with the inclusion of Maverick and who I can like when I I as I was watching it, I was like picturing the life field. Mm hmmm, of course, Like it's like the flat mask play it everything, Yeah, no feet, very funny, I mean, yeah, the humor.
Speaker 2: I wonder I'm interested to see how that is gonna land with people because I think this, like we've talked about, this season has been very in depth, very low heavy, very dense. This is very fun It's zingy from the moment. I mean it opens basically with a straight Predator homage, which makes sense because it's very action movie inspired and obviously Alien Predator, all those kind of connective tissues here, but like they want you to know, this is a funny episode. This is an episode for in jokes, This is an episode for banter. This is an episode for the kind of questions that you and your friends ask in comic shops, get an ast, you know, And I love those kind of episodes. But it is a bit of a tone shift after everything we've seen, especially with Satin Death, et cetera. So I'm interested to see how it lands. But I had a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 1: This is one of those This gave me that comic book feeling Like when I was a kid reading these, I'd always wonder like what are they, how do they? What are they do in their downtime? Like what's going on? And this is one of those where I'm like, how does Wolverine call Leady death strike Maverick Caine saber Tooth and he's like a toss eggs, come back, get get together and how to and what is going on in I mean, this is like one of those things I feel like I need to know, like what is going on in mutant culture? That saber Tooth is just like, Okay, I'm not working for mister Sinister, right now I guess I'll do it, Like what is he got? I missed the sinister collar though I can't lie, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I I think a lot about this episode as exactly like you say, essentially almost like one of those X Men softball episode uh comics, you know, baseball softball depending on which area you're reading. But like, we always just want to see them play fucking baseball. That's the American pastime. Like let them go outside and play it. We want to know who is flirting with who. We want to know who has a good fastball. We want to know who's gonna use their powers, and we want to see Scott get annoyed that nobody's in the war room, so he shoots the ball with his fucking laser eyes. Okay, and I know they're not laser eyes, guys, but let's not get into the optic blasts. But like this gives that same energy. But you're right, I would have loved there to be a little bit more space and time for a bit more soap op pery, Like does he have a group chat that would be funny?
Speaker 1: Did he have to send it? I could ask the professor or Gene to like send a mind more to either is the question. I know that. I mean, I don't think he would because he doesn't want them knowing what. Okay, so you know what I could imagine him doing.
Speaker 2: Again, Let's talk about how this could have had an extra episode if we were lucky.
Speaker 1: That would have been called getting the Team.
Speaker 2: Back together, because I can't imagine Wolverine basically just like slugging it out to every shitty dive bar and you know John Wick esque spy hub and fucking you know, going to some like dive bar in Madrapoor again with the lucky suit, Like, I could imagine that he kind of had to scavenge to find them.
Speaker 1: Which would have been fun and very logan coded. Shouldn't shouldn't saber Tooth be in some sort of high security prison? Like, it's crazy that he's just.
Speaker 2: Me The recidivism issues in both Marvel and DC are extremely icy.
Speaker 1: He's an actual serial killer. It's pretty crazy that he's just like running around. I know, you gotta ask what's going on in society. Let's talk about the DVDs. Oh, really really great ones there and obviously this is this series is titled X Men ninety seven one. Wonders if at some point they're going to call it like X Men two thousand and two, or or if you're just going to take you very interested, because it already feels like they are. I mean, listen the if we're I think we're right about the Danger episode Danger egge. Yeah, that is what two thousand, two thousand are already like out.
Speaker 2: Of the saying right, I think we're getting into that astonishing. We know that they were taken from new in season one because that's obviously psychic effect.
Speaker 1: We love it, We've talked about it. We love repressed Scott.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested as well because also X twenty three they keep mentioning, how they keep mentioning how obviously she was in x X Men Evolution.
Speaker 1: We love Laura Kinney, She's our babe.
Speaker 2: We know that that she was back in Deadpool, you know, the incredible Daphne Keane version. I think that they are hinting to us like we're really going to be in the Zeros and Hens soon.
Speaker 1: But also they are.
Speaker 2: There are names here that are also vintage X Men characters like Aurora yes.
Speaker 1: You know a seventy nine clam On and Bun Jean Mary Bobo of Alpha Flight, who Logan was once a member of the team who had and who also has ties to Weapon X, which was like a joint US Canadian like it was a US Defense Department project, but the project took place on Canadian soil. This is after the retcon. It was originally a Canadian project, right, And then we discover that it because Captain America is Weapon one, that there are clear like American Defense Department links And then if if Winter Soldier is part of this program, then it tells you that actually there's like a vast conspiracy going on. It's giving I'm not gonna lie, Yeah, amongst the world's like top scienceists who have no morals, well, to create a super Soldier force.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it makes sense if you think about it, because so much of the heart of the mcu is and and Marvel Comics in general is people trying to replicate the Super Soldier serum. But I do think it's very interesting to see them directly connect it to many international characters. But you know, Jason, one of the things we first ever bonded over was Giant Size X Men, which was this reimagining of X Men. Is an international team and this list of DVDs and the way that they are presenting all the different teams here, I feel like they're really leaning into that aspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too, So I would expect we'll see X twenty three at some point. Mm hmmm. Phantom X. So Phantom X, oh baby is a Grant Morrison creation, So already again we're already this is pre astonishing, But in my opinion, the true like peak of Phantom X didn't happen un till like mid twenty tens X Force.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was gonna this is also like two thousand and two, so you already got like this is grand and I Gore Cordy. This is with like you know, Chris Pachalloa, this is the end span of New X Men as well. So I think you're right that this is grand introducing cool stuff, but the character itself doesn't really become the character we all know until way later.
Speaker 1: So Phantom X is like a really really weird character who has a nervous system outside of his body that is like autonomous that he refers to as EVA. It's like a ship outside of his body, and they have this weird, almost romantic symbiotic relationship. So and you know, if Eva is damaged, then he experienced in his pain. If phantom X gets hurt, Eva experiences pain. Very very weird. He's like a basically like a super spy hand to hand combat. He is the bunch of guns. He wears a fedora, and he wears a special suit that has like can project hologram. Yeah, it can block telepathy. Super super weird character that honestly, I hope we see it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Jason, this makes me so happy because this is peak weird Grant ship. But it's also peak weird comic book nerd shit because phantom Ax is almost certainly inspired by this Italian comic book called Diaboli.
Speaker 1: And then that's the movie Danger.
Speaker 2: Diabolique, which is like you can find it on Canopy and stuff. That's the movie where you have phantoms as this kind of like crazy character who create who plans heists for his girlfriend whose name is Eva. So like these, it's like such a weird like euro comics influencing American comics influenced by cinema, and it also suits Grant's kind of vision for each story being a way of reintroducing like a folkloric hero to the public consciousness.
Speaker 1: He fucked Hope Summers didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is one of the craziest things. But like mental like psychics, Yes, psychic, I believe that may have happened.
Speaker 1: Shockingly, I would also say phantom ax. He also has.
Speaker 2: One of the weirdest origin stories where he is basically created as like a super sentinel, but he ends up becoming this kind of weird sentinel sentient human uh creation because his mother is fertilized by nano machines and then he is essentially like created and raised like a VR world.
Speaker 1: So anyway, he's always talking about his nights. Is the daughter, of course of Cyclops and Gene, who is prophesied to save the mutant Racis is. When the mutants had been decimated down to like whatever the one hundred and forty eight or one hundred and forty seven, whatever the number was, Hope Summers appears. It's prophecy that she will bring the mutants back. She then goes to an alternatimension for whatever it is, fifteen years so that she can grow up off page and come back immediately like at age nineteen twenty. And it's unclear for a long time like exactly what her power set is, so I think, so here is. I found the blurb and I very dimly remember this.
Speaker 2: This is from the Seispurias stuff, right, and like, yeah, I mean side I Love Course volume four, Okay, yeah, here is the here it is.
Speaker 1: When Hope was rendered comatose after an attack by the arms dealer Volga, Cable kept her under medical care. Cable raised her in the alternate dimension. By the way, Cable kept her under medical care in his latest ex force facility. After Cable rescued a brain dead mutant named Meme from Voga, Hope copied memes power to control and interact with technology and poses her to fight alongside the team. Trapped in her body, Hope found release in interacting with technology. As teammates Phantom X had nanits in his brain, they could connect too pleasurable results, so she proposed that they have cyber sex. Phantom X took her up on the offer, and they had relations for a time until Phantom X ends up. Until Phantom X ends up ends things with no explanation. Well that's very phantom X.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I mean he's like a human sentinel hybrid for a Jason.
Speaker 1: I love and he also fought like Doctor Mystery. What was that guy, Dr Nemesis? Yeah, you think he also kisses doctor anyway. I mean that is a crazy era.
Speaker 2: It was part of old New novel Now, so everyone was allowed to be gay and it was very honey. I was a big fan of that era. I think that's like a Rocky Kim and Jwaii Melina stuff as well. So this is like, that's a no joke Pol James.
Speaker 1: And that was shades of shades of obsessions. So apparently Hope, trying to understand why Phantom X had broke it off, hacked his nanites uh h, only to discover that I guess it drove him insane since his body had recently been split into three entities, the ship and something else. So Phantom X accidentally kills Hope by purging her from his mind, and then revealed that he'd been using Hope in order to steal a digital form of the vulgar virus she was carrying. This is crazy. Sh x wers at this period was so, I mean, the X Men are insane.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, guys, you don't understand how many of the X Men problems are doubt to somebody fucking someone else.
Speaker 1: I sweat to god, Like.
Speaker 2: When you start talking about it, you're like, wait a minute, how did this happen? You're like, oh, somebody had sex with the computza. Okay, that makes it. Somebody had a psychic affect, which one. Come on, guys, this is you. Guys are messy. They need like hr at the.
Speaker 1: X mentioned anyway. I really do hope that they include phantom X at some point. The next episode is titled danger Ex.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's talk about that because we've been on a we were right, Tad, Jason, the bell is ringing.
Speaker 1: Let's absolutely talk about danger Ex. Do you want to go to a break and then come back and do something. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to preview that episode. We think we are predicted and we're back, so again to stress, we only recently got the second screeners the back half of X Men ninety seven season two.
Speaker 2: And we record what episode, we watch it, and then we record the episode. So we have watched right now episode five.
Speaker 1: Absolutely we're right and listen just based on just based on the title, this doesn't take that much skill to for it. So I think they want us to know, I think so too. So this is like either the second or third arc in Joss Whedon. Yeah, Vo Whedon and Cassidy's Astonishing x Men, which which was an x Men I highly recommended, you know, whatever you think of Joss Whedon, this is a really great series. It was marred, as many many quality comics in Marvel World were at the time, by like insane delays. Oh well, so insane covers.
Speaker 2: This has some of the coversiest, twentiest covers you've ever seen as it.
Speaker 1: Covers are fantastic. So the idea was that they would create it was basically like an alternate It wasn't in six one six like it was X Men stories that kind of took from the Grant Morrison era, which had been kind of they had kind of immediately pivoted in the six one six away from the Grant Morriston stuff. It was too weird, and so Weedon wanted to pick that back up, and so Astonishing was was an x Men line that was happening parallel to the original, to the actual X Men ongoings. There was no interaction, there was no connection to the rest of the MCU, And because of that, I think because of not having to carry that weight. I think a lot of it was really great. Mm hmm. Danger is the third arc, and in that arc we discover that the Danger Room at some point had come alive. It was based on Shire technology, so very very advanced technology. Yeah, and that from basically day one, almost day one, like from the beginning of the X Men. It like shortly after they turned on the hardware for the very first time, Charles knew that it was sentient.
Speaker 2: And hitter the whole time. Hit it from the hit it, from the school. She was essentially and I mean.
Speaker 1: This is so Joss Whedon.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, but she has is driven to almost like suicide because of this, Like he drives her insane by keeping her essentially trapped in solitary confinement and using her as a teacher for these kids who never know that she is essentially a teammate.
Speaker 1: So she eventually breaks for you one day. And of course she knows all of the X Men's weaknesses because she's been training them for years and years and years, and she takes her revenge luring them. I forget exactly how she gets them to the ruins of Jenosha, which is now just like a desolate island filled with like skeletons and like destroyed buildings, but she fights them there somehow. I forget how she gets them there. Oh, anyway, that's honestly, there's some very bleak stuff.
Speaker 2: There's basically like a kid that she kind of manipulates into some really like into a really sad death, and that gives her freedom within the cry protections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wing.
Speaker 2: She the protections of the room are them voided, and she can essentially defeat them and then and then take them to Janosha to kill press, you know, Xavia.
Speaker 1: So I obviously are we gonna get all of that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but but to get a chunk is gonna be crazy, Jason, So.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing we're gonna get that. And do you think that means we're gonna get zor question Mark. I know we're not gonna get Zorn is too weird. I don't think we ever get Zorn in this series. I think it's too much. Yeah, I get that, but yeah, that would be that's too much. And if we're already doing danger, then we're never gonna get Zorm.
Speaker 2: Like we're feel like that's yeah, pass already passed it, or maybe that is something they want to do in season four or whatever.
Speaker 1: So for those of you not up to date on who are not versed in the Grant Morrison era X Men, Zorn was a mysterious character who like had this mask and was a very powerful mutant and appeared in the X Men's orbit and there was a lot of who is Orn? Who is Orn? Who is Orn? Yeah, it turns out Zorne was Magneto, who was trying to just show the X Men from the inside, and spoiler alert, Magneo's dead right now, So I'm just saying he could be making a comeback. I'm just saying, but I don't think they're gonna do that.
Speaker 2: But I love that we can ask that. Jason, like, that's how crazy these polls are.
Speaker 1: Well, wait, Magneto was dead at that time. That's why I'm saying, So, Okay, you know it's possible, Okay, possible.
Speaker 2: Danger ex biggest moment character, something you're hoping to see in the next episode, knowing what we know, as we consider that this is probably what it's going to focus on.
Speaker 1: I think that my biggest note is, like, obviously there's a lot of X Men stuff happening off screen with Wolverine to being able to assemble this team and different teams spread over different collections of heroes, like operating under the X Men banner. Mm hmmm in different places. And so we haven't caught up with Charles ever since the death of Magneto. Where's he been? And I would I guess I would want I would expect that Danger ex would set up the next phase of Charles's grand plan whatever it is, like this make clothes, We're not doing the school anymore? What do we And obviously, like the Danger Room rebelling against him is like the last, the very last, like final piece of the link to the past that the school era is like completely distrue. So what happens next is my question. I love that.
Speaker 2: I would also say as well, I'm very interested in kind of what happens in the finale. Do we get a moment where Charles says, you know, to me my ex man or to me my mute and kind and we see all these different teams come together, like it feels like they've been seating it for that right, Like it seems we have really struggled in the live action because of the nature of how many characters there are, there's only ever been one or two true moments like in Endgame where you really feel like you're opening a double page spread and seeing a superhero team fight because there's a hundred of them, right, Like.
Speaker 1: We don't often think about Civil War.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible fight at the airport, but it's not what it looked like in the books because there's six characters on each team. Do we get a finale fight that sees all these different X Men teams fight together in one of those big kind of double page spread moments.
Speaker 1: I think so, I hope. So. The action has been fantastic to this point, like continues to be top notch. The Omega Red fight was awesome, seriously, Wolverine, even though you understood it was gonna work. Wolverine getting his clawseback was awesome.
Speaker 2: Nerve wrecking two, Jason, Is there anything obviously we've seen Wolverine do, like some really cool shit we saw him in one and Gambit do that like psychic fossible special?
Speaker 1: Is there a move or like.
Speaker 2: A crazy power that we haven't seen yet from one of these characters that you would love to see in the last few episodes.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're gonna get in the last few episodes, but I will say I do think we're gonna do Krakoa in some form, which means we're gonna have to introduce a whole bunch of new young mutants who are theoretically like around right, they could they might be around right, including gold Balls, including Hope Summers, who's you know, the prophecy is finally fulfilled in the Krakoa era with her role in basically mutant immortality. And so I think I do think we're going there. I think whether it's I don't think it will be this season. I mean, but I would not be surprised if three or four would be pretty incredible. Yeah, I would not be surprised if at the end of next season the mutants have evolved to a place where they're like, you know, none of this is working. We're trying integration to varying degrees. We've tried separatism, We've tried doing our own thing. We've tried being part of the human world. We've tried floating, Yeah, being in an alliance with the human world. Now we understand that like, none of that is. We've tried ruling ourselves through like competing models, right, there was the Magneto model, and then there's the Charles Xavier model, and there's like the evil Mutants mystique model like like, but basically all of those mutant governance models say like, we will patrol our own like if there's justice to be meted out to mutants. First of all, we don't want mutants to do terrible things to humanity, but if they do, we'll job to just it's our job to take care of it. You will not take care of it.
Speaker 2: You do not.
Speaker 1: Humans do not meet out justice to mutants. So I think through that process we will get to a place by maybe the end of next season where the mutants are like, let's just create our let's just find our own place and found our own nation. We tried it with Genosha, Yeah, but this time, let's do it in a way that is that they dare not attack us. Yeah, exactly. I think that that's what it is.
Speaker 2: And also just narratively it makes sense, but visually I also think this show and the kind of really streamlined beautiful versions of the characters we've gotten, like the Emma Frost representation, the well the Gene Gray and sorry I should have said Madeline prior, but with that Emma Frost kind of version and then the Emma Frost.
Speaker 1: We did get. It's very healthier Gala Krakoa.
Speaker 2: Era influenced, Like we're already getting the looks, so I can't imagine how appealing it would be to actually get to bring that story to life. And also, guys, we haven't really talked about it a lot. This could be a cool episode, so let us know if this is the kind of thing you would want, But we've never really done a deep dive, Like the lore in that stuff is so crazy that I actually do think this really dense, law heavy episode sort of soft launches people into the idea of plant eggs that can birth mutants, you know what I mean. Like, if people are into this season, I think they can do Krakoa and people will be into it.
Speaker 1: We also have to figure out, like there's the tension between the Charles Xavier mutant teams and the government backed X Force team. What's gonna happen with that. It feels like you can either have one or the other, so there needs to be some kind of showdown with them at some point on the next episode of extra Vision. We're diving into Christopher Nolans the Odyssey. That's it for this episode. Thanks you listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar. Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay wag. Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.