Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Ah, welcome back to behind Wait no, sorry, it could happen here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We'll keep that in so that our audience, who I know is deeply tied to the myth of my own perfection, knows that I too, air speaking of perfect creatures who have never made a mistake. Our guest today is Dan Olsen. Hello, Welcome, Hi Dan.
Speaker 3: How you doing. I'm doing well, not making.
Speaker 2: Mistakes, exactly exactly that you are the Buddha I met on the road, and I'm going to say hello, teach me how to be flawless.
Speaker 3: So first, have you heard of gold? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was about to talk about gold the perfect investment Dan.
Speaker 3: Perfect investment vehicle never fails.
Speaker 2: So Dan, you are a YouTuber and investigator, one of my favorite researchers. We had you on recently to talk well a couple of months ago a donuple time flat circle etcheda but we had you wanted to talk about your work reporting on the NFT bubble bursting and on the metaverse bubble bursting, and more recently, you just published a two and a half hour documentary investigation into the game stop stock cult, which is a lot of people are aware of. The first part of this, which is that in January twenty twenty one, a bunch of folks started like buying you via some weird Reddit movement started buying huge amounts of game Stop stock, which, in a period of pretty exaggerated decline, caused it to briefly surge in value to absurd levels.
Speaker 3: And I think that's where.
Speaker 2: Most people kind of and then, you know, eventually it fell apart, and I think that's where most people kind of stopped paying attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they remember that week where it was like in the news, and then they just kind of assumed like that was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's been a It's an interesting and weird ride because the evolution into like cult like behavior was it was a very strange journey. It happened surprisingly rapidly, but also not that surprisingly. Like once you fully unpack it, you know, you have this internet movement that is very nebulous in its origins or not in its origins, sorry, the origins are very straightforward, like Wall Street Bets is a gambling sub that had like it self describes as if four chan found a Bloomberg terminal, So sure, you know it's it's crass it's irony poisoned. You can get just as much social clout or losing thousands of dollars as you can for winning thousands of dollars. In fact, there's an argument that there's more clout for lost porn than there is for like actually posting big games. Obviously, like not like the healthiest or most wholesome community you could imagine. But you know, out of that plus COVID madness, plus stimulus checks and just general nihilism arose this kind of Frankenstein short squeeze play on game Stop that weirdly never actually happened, because the play just sort of turned into its its own self fulfilling thing that enough people believed in the idea of this short squeeze play that they just kept piling in and piling in, and suddenly, like the short squeeze doesn't actually matter at all because there's enough critical mass flooding in that you just get this massive pump anyway, which convinces people that, oh, the squeeze is going on. Because in the moment you don't actually know like what mechanisms are driving the price movement. You just see number going up, and so more people kept piling in piling in, piling in. I got a phone call from, you know, from a friend of mine who's like, hey, have you heard about the GameStop stuff? And I'm like, yes, I heard about it two days ago. So if you heard about it today, it's it's way too late. Do not. It's over. It's over. And sure enough, like I went back and reviewed our text messages and like, and if he had bought, he would have been a just massive bag holder. Like it it plummeted, you know, hours later.
Speaker 2: And like for people who are not finance people, which I certainly am not. This is like if you watched The Big Short that's kind of the tech I mean number one, that movie is seen as a blueprint by a lot of these guys. Obviously there's folks, knowledgeable financial folks who have critiques of that movie, but it is it is accepted as like almost kind of like a sacred text within the game Stop Stop ye.
Speaker 3: And and it's weird because like they're the game stop enemy, the the the ape. Okay, well i'll just use their lexicon. We'll go over it real quick. They call themselves apes for reasons that are not worth explaining. Their enemy are short sellers. But short sellers are like doctor Burry short sold the housing market, and Burry is that's Christian Bales character, right, Christian Bales character. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like all of the main characters in that movie short sold the housing market like that. That was their play. That was the big short was. They're like, look, there's this bubble, We're going to short sell it. Then when the price goes down, we close our positions out and keep a tremendous amount of money.
Speaker 2: And I should we should go just because when I watched this with a friend, they did not know what short selling was. It's not I think, a normal It's not a thing normal people where it will ever be in a position to do. The basic idea and this is all occurring with like stocks and commodities, But the basic idea is you make an agreement with somebody to get basically a loan of a bunch of shares in something, right, and with the understanding that you will give those back at a point in the future. And then you take those and you immediately sell them for their their present value, right, and your hope, your play at like goal is that the value of that drops and then you are able to buy back an equivalent amount to repay the loan and have made a profit based on the gap between those two numbers.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the idea. That's that's the that's the idea. You you can as an individual like do this. You can, you can take out a short position with your broker, you can. You can do it through derivatives like puts. I wouldn't recommend it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's kind of normal people's stock stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not normal people's stock stuff. Like you're there's nothing legally barring you from doing it, but it it really is kind of this like advanced play. You got to know what's going on, especially because like a thing that a lot of people in the description sort of skip over, is it. Well, you're borrowing it. You know, you're borrowing a thing, and thus there's the expectation that you'll pay some kind of like you know, borrower's fee akin to a kin to interest on like the value of the thing that you've borrowed. Uh, but like it's it's not interest on you know, like a housing loan where the interest and like where your payments all are geared towards paying off the loan. It's just kind of like, all right, you ow me five bucks every single month forever as long as you're holding this. And so you know, if you're not paying attention, like you need to be very actively managing these kinds of positions otherwise like your borrowing fees will just eat up all of your profit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's the kind of thing where like today most of those kind of kinds of trades aren't even really made by people directly. They're made by massive banks of computers and algorithms and shit kind of yeah. Yeah, yeah, Anyway, I think that's that's enough background back to the kind of cult aspect of it, which is I think much more relevant for what we're talking about here. One of the points you made early on that I found really interesting is is that a significant amount of the initial game stock game stops I'm going to keep doing that hype was driven by influencers, right, and that there's evidence based on kind of the US government's analysis of this that got published that like regulators are paying additional tension increasing attention to the influences that or to the impact that influencers can have here because there's this concern that, especially working in groups, there's like an ability for people like this to disrupt the economy to a significant extent, to a way that would affect like normal people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so one of the weird kind of so pump and dumps have existed forever, right. The thing was is that so the the memes stock run up, it wasn't just GameStop. It was about like fifteen twenty, like in January twenty twenty one, like so late twenty twenty, early twenty twenty one. It was about fifteen twenty different companies, you know, Nokia, BlackBerry, bed Bath and Beyond, like you know, just kind of a bunch of over the hill companies that were all sort of part of this this wave. And the issue was that in the game stop price run up. So the price went from at the end of tw twenty twenty as everybody like as sort of the meme wave like begins, and particularly once Ryan Cohen, billionaire Chewy founder Chewy the Cat treat or dog online dog food sales. Yeah. Yeah, when he buys in like that kind of like puts the stamp of approval on the whole thing. So it goes from like four and a half dollars up to nineteen something. And then at the end of January, it goes from nineteen twenty dollars up to four hundred and eighty, and so in that spread the short sales, so there was short interest in game Stop. There was, in fact a reckless amount of short interest in game Stop, but the price increase was so huge, the volume of participation was so big, so many people were jumping on this that the short interest closing their position. The actual like short squeeze portion of all of this is only like ten percent of the price movement. All the rest of it is just people fomoing in on like this thing that they heard about through their cousin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think another thing that's kind of interesting to me is like, as this thing has evolved, you know, you mentioned that the actual price got up to like close around five hundred dollars by the time this thing kind of transitions into being this millenarian kind of apocalypse cult, right, like not you know, nukes and stuff, end of days apocalypse generally, but like the entire economy is going to come. The belief that kind of has evolved broadly and that obviously there's different kind of factions is but is that like there is going to come a point where like the price of game Stop stock will increase to such an insane some people say hundreds of millions, billions of dollars per share, that it effectively allows all of these apes who have bought shares to hold the entire world economy hostage until they have there but increasingly arcane demands met. Right, Yeah, that is the belief, and that is the belief.
Speaker 3: So so out of that, like so okay, So the short's closing was only like about ten percent of the of the total movement. So that leads to the conclusion that you know that the events of January twenty twenty one weren't a short squeeze, which is actually kind of true, Like it wasn't it wasn't purely a short squeeze. It was actually very little of it was a short squeeze. But because it wasn't a short squeeze, like that term then allows the creative individual to fill in the gap and just say that it's like just say this, like, oh, the short squeeze never happened. Therefore it's still on the table the shorts like it the end. You know, it hasn't happened yet, therefore it can still potentially happen. And in fact, if we just like look at the trend line, like I bet since it hasn't happened, since it didn't happen, and the position that they held in December was so reckless, it's only gotten worse since, which means that they're getting which means that these short sellers must be getting desperate, which means they're going to be willing to engage in whatever level of depraved criminal activity is necessary to protect themselves. Therefore, it's just getting more and more and more and more extreme. Therefore, when this finally goes off, it's not just going to be like it's not just going to be a five hundred dollars price point. It's going to be a nuclear explosion that's going to topple the entire economy. Yeah, And that's this like train of logic and what they and it all comes from that, just like missing the fact that it's like, oh, it wasn't a short squeeze because it was mostly fomo. The short squeeze was buried under a mountain of of fomo. Yeah, but so it wasn't a short scool. It's like, yeah, it's all just like based in these like word games of like, ah, you said it was you know that the dumb and dumber. You know, it's like, what are the odds a one in million, So you're saying there's a chance it's well, yeah, that's not what I'm say.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because of the impossibility of the things they're actually hoping for, but also their fundamental belief that like it's inevitable, in part because you know, this is this is not wildly different from the psychology of like needing to believe in uh that you are going to paradise in the after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hallmarks of millennarians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because of that, what you get is a lot of people who think that they are thinking scientifically, but what they're doing is taking an endpoint. And the endpoint is that you know this specific you know, the these hedge funds or whatever are are evil and you know, illegally bribing or whatever the government to stop us from succeeding, or there's this other conspiracy. You're starting with this endpoint and then working backwards and like finding ways to explain the things that have happened within that framework.
Speaker 3: Like the things that would need to be true in order for the yeah thing.
Speaker 2: To happen, like the thing that like Citadel must have ordered robin Hood to stop letting people buy and share game stock stocks rather than like, you know what what actually happened, which is that robin Hood simply like could not exist if they allowed this to continue. Yeah, and you know, legally, I don't believe there's anything that was stopping them from doing that. It's medieval peasant brain kind of stuff, is what I initially like. That's how when I was watching your documentary, I was like, oh, it's this you know, this need to find this kind of like magical answer to the problem. And then I like interrogated that conclusion and was like, well, no, it's not. This is just the way people's brains work, right, Yeah, like we're pattern making. This isn't medieval peasant shit. They're no dumber than we are. Like, yeah, that's what this shows.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And one of the things that I love just kind of on that is that, like you if you had a time machine and you went back one hundred thousand years and and found a bunch of you know, homoliteral literal cavemen, yeah, actual apes more or less, you know, like hundred thousand years ago. That's that's modern humans. Like genetically that's genetically modern humans. You could just like implant yourself in their tribe and teach them calculus and you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah suh that it's like like we're like things don't change it.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like, yeah, no, we've been We've been doing this ever since we were you know, this pattern seeking doesn't change. It's almost like it is basically endemic to the human psyche. There's a really good question that that I've gotten in response to this is just like is this just secular religion? Like is this just are we just like wired to need faith in some shape or form and if that is not provided by some institution, we will just invent it. And it's like I don't have the answer to that, but sign's point to yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, So I wanted to talk a little bit about one of the other things that you brought up that I thought was interesting is the way you've got this this cast of and these are you know, the influencers. These are the people who make a lot of these like arcane videos or put out these publish these prospectuses with there are dozens or hundreds of pages laying out you know, the arcana of how these different sort of anticipated apocalyptic financial moves are going to go out, right, Yeah, a lot of these people the belief is that that I think is accurate at least this is what I got from your documentary. Maybe I was interpreting you wrong, is that most of these or many of these people are not believers. They're manipulating a group of people because there's in it. And one of the tactics that you see used a lot is kind of faux humility. Right, I'm just a dumb ape. You shouldn't trust me. I'm not qualified to give financial advice. But here's the secret history of the universe. To invest your money here now.
Speaker 3: So, I mean you've seen this a lot with Yeah, with various like cult leaders and pseudo cult leaders and just general like grift fluencers. You know, there's always this question of like how much of their own how much of their own hype do they believe? How much did they believe when they started, how much did they eventually just like convince themselves of as people you know, follow them, And I think it's it's very much like kind of a an individual case by case basis. Some of them are absolutely true believers. Like from the get go, some of them, like a lot of them are like soft believers, you know, you know where it's like they're not hardcore into it, you know, if you really pressed them, Like it's not motivating their their daily decisions. But what they're taking from it is like social reinforcement. That they've found a group of people who respond to them, who like their posts, who leave messages. It's like, oh man, this blew my mind. I can't believe the system is like this fragile. You know, my tits are jacked, lighting the fuse on the rocket ship, buying more moon tickets, you know. And they and they respond to that very socially, and and and out of that sort of soup of like reinforcing messages, it's really easy for people in those influencer positions to just kind of like hold conflicting like hold the conflicting beliefs of like, I know that this is impossible, but also it is like fulfilling me socially to say these things. I'll just I'll just juggle that inconsistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the way the panics of social media, and particularly in this case, it's the mechanics largely of Reddit. That's not the only place this occurs, but Reddit is certainly like the homeland. You could say, the way in which up votes and down votes work, and the way in which upvotes and down votes take you know, critical content people who are trying to induce some accuracy or you might even say sanity in the discussion, and that that gets pushed down and hidden after a certain point of time with enough down votes, as opposed to like the stuff that is fundamentally unhinged but is like utopian gets upvoted. It's it's the the physical, like the actual mechanics of how the site is structured to work enforce fund at a fundamental level, enforced group think consensus.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Oh and I mean in the best part about it, and we see this across like all across Reddit communities, which is this like it is it it's the social enforcement of truth that that people will take this social mechanism of up votes and down votes and use it as proof against the claim that it's like, oh, well, if if your negative sentiment were true, it would have been up voted. Yeah, because like there's this underline, there's this kind of just like implicit belief that people will recognize truth and will upvote truth, and thus up votes and down votes are are an accurate filter on reality which is demonstrably not true. So yeah, that's intensely at play here because you'll see apes who will then like reference the fact that like that, you know that. It's like, if this insane theory were false, why did it get so many up votes? And it's like, well, because it it. It hypes you up. It makes you. People are irrational. You got a tingly feeling in your tummy when you read it and the person told you that you were going to be a millionaire. Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: It's like asking why do we like magicians?
Speaker 3: Of course we like magicians.
Speaker 2: It's it looks nice, it's fun, it makes us feel a sense of wonder.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to discuss one of the terms that you use a lot that I missed the first couple of times because I'm not I'm not. This is not a community I had studied. I thought you misspoke at first when you described like someone reached achieving a financial wind fall as wife changing money. I just thought you, like, I do that all the time. That show it's delivererate.
Speaker 3: That's yes, yeah, no, no, and I was like, oh, okay, this is a thing they say. Yeah, a lot of people are like, I thought you misspoke. I'm like, no, that's because I was tricking you. Like I was. I was deliberately like very light in this term, like because like because they use it like obviously as a as an entendre. And I was just like okay, like I'll just use it straight faced with no explanation three four times and then finally explain it at the end and make a lot of people angry when they realize that, like, no, they weren't just mishearing me. Yeah. So that's one of those things like that goes to sort of the four Chan roots of all of this, which is, you know, the sort of like crass irreverence slash misogyny of of chan speak and just this you know, Wall Street bets will use this kind of like celebration of making so much money that you can afford to be misogynistic and just like swap your wife. And and it turns out that, like, as we know, you make a joke like that often enough, you're eventually going to attract the people who are just straight up like yeah I hate.
Speaker 2: My wife, Yeah I want to be able to replace her using my using my crypto or my yeah whatever, my game stock Stop god gains. I was wondering if you might lay out one of the things, the parts that was most interested in me was the whole Teddy Day, Teddy Day, Oh boy, teddy d Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you explain Teddy Day to our listeners? Okay. So Ryan Cohen, who fancies himself an activist investor, he buys into game Stop and gets a minority, pretty substantial holdings that count as like a minority thing. You need to file a bunch of paperwork with the sec that say, like, you know, it's like I hold greater than ten percent of this company. And he used that position to basically get power inside the company itself as chairman. As of a couple of weeks ago, he's now CEO. So so Ryan Cohen gets heavily involved with with game Stop, and he's like, I'm gonna turn this around because his real angs, what seems to be his anger anxiety in life at the moment, is this like sense of legacy. He doesn't just want to be like like, oh I got lucky with an online pet food sales thing. I'm a I'm a real. I'm a big boy finance guy, you know, I save dying companies. Real rich guy hobby. He puts out a series of children's books called Teddy, named after his late father.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And these are it's it's five books that have a target audience of two year olds. That because you know, when when you're rich and you want to do something like that, you want to vanity published books. You don't just like go to an off the shelf vanity publisher. You make your own vanity publisher because in the scheme of things like that's just not that expensive. So Amazon has made it easier than ever, easier than ever. So he founds this LLC, you know, air quote founds pays the like six hundred bucks in filing fees to create this LLC. Teddy Publishing files a whole bunch of trademarks. You know, we're talking like a few thousand dollars all in all in order to file, like in order to just file a bunch of paperwork. And this is all just like the scattershot stuff of like, okay, we're making a product aimed at children. Let's file the trademark for Teddy very broadly. And so it's going to cover like basically children's merchandise across the board. You know, what if we want to put what if we want to put the characters on blankets or bottles or cups or plates or party supplies or whatever. So these trademarks are just incredibly wide ranging across just merch Yeah. But the existence of these trademark applications and this LLC becomes the seed for Teddy the Company, as this like the mechanism through which Ryan Cohen is going to collaborate with Apes in order to trigger MOASS. Because I guess this is the important thing about the mythology. Apes believe Ryan Cohen is on their side, that he is, he is their inside man. He is working with them. He is as frustrated as they are that this hasn't happened yet. But for like arcane legal reasons, he needs to like he needs to operate like a like a clockmaker, you know, he has to do everything very delicately and indirectly, and like his hand cannot be seen pushing on the scales. So they think that it's like that this becomes the thing that they view all of their all of their hopes and dreams into his Teddy LLC. That's like this is the thing that he's going to use as the mechanism to do this. He's going to like buy game Stop via Teddy. He's going to buy me maybe some other company via Teddy. Teddy's going to get bought in to, like it is going to get bought by game Stop like one way or another. There were like hundreds of competing theories all rooted in in this. But then back in January of this year, a insanity starts in two So in both GameStop forums and bed Bath and Beyond forums, the two meme stocks that are linked by Ryan Cohen, they they create this idea called Teddy Day, which is a combination of a bunch of things. So Ryan Cohen tweeted several Titanic references. James Cameron's Titanic was being re released this past February on a day that aligned with National Teddy Bear Day, and so two different communities of apes, for completely separate reasons, latched onto this idea of Teddy Day. It was Friday, February tenth, twenty twenty three. They latched onto it as just this that like this is the day, this is when it's all going to come together. This is when he's going to make his big move. And a major driving piece of evidence that they had for Teddy Day was that in one of the Teddy books, the kids learned to read a clock and the hands on the clock are pointed to ten and two. So Ryan Cohen left them clues in this children's book published six months earlier, warning them that February tenth was going to be the day that it all went down, that that was the day of the apocalypse, that was Teddy Day. And it got just like the the spread of this got just like absolutely unhinged on the forms, like it was all that super stunk and BBB, why we're talking about For like a week and a half leading up to it, the hype was like unreal. And then of course nothing happened. You you, I don't know if you noticed this, but but the US economy did not collapse last February.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. I had been I have been living like a postal apocalyptic warlord under the assumption that it had but all, yeah, I'll pivot now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so it's just it's one of those like it's just such a great encapsulation of the fact that like that. These communities, they will they will invent these these catalyst moments, convince themselves that like, oh, here's a date that's upcoming, and then the moment that, like the great disappointment happens, some of them like bleed off, but for the most part like it. Nothing can actually like stop the inertia. They can just discard it. And and they did. They you know, no one talks about Teddy Day anymore except for the fact that like it it had a brief Teddy Day two point zero as October second was like upcoming, because you know, ah, maybe it wasn't the tenth of February, it was the second of October, you know. And and sure, like I'm willing to bet that when next February rolls around, like we'll we'll get Teddy Day three point zero. Yeah, I'm sure. It just keeps this.
Speaker 2: The same thing has happened with like different kind of Christian apocalypse cults, right where you'll have a guy pick a day, then the day comes, and then there's always a reason. And fundamentally, because this becomes so much of someone's social life, because it becomes part of their emotional support network, because it's like fundamentally, you changes the way you talk, Like you learn so many new words that make it into your diction that like it's easier to just keep rolling the expected date ahead rather than like acknowledge that kind of fundamental hit to your self conception that admitting you got played would take.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, the guy who does so religion for breakfast, Yeah, he picked up on the fact that, like I was using phrases like a great disappointment in in the video, like very deliberately, because it's like it's the it's the same mechanism. So the great disappointment was like that's the event that caused the Seventh day Adventist to come into existence because it was like a expected date of the apocalypse of the Second Coming, like yeah, didn't happen, And you end up with like this then fragmentation of the aftermath. A bunch of people just bleed off. But you end up with like a couple different factions, ones who are like, ah, well, the date was like the date wasn't wrong per se, or like the idea wasn't wrong, just like the date was wrong, like maybe it's off by one hundred years or whatever. And you get other people who are like actually it did happen. It just happened in secret, like obviously it wasn't going to just like happen in Times Square. It happened, like you know, the millennium is already kind of like rolling underneath normal like normal looking society. It's going on right now. It's just day to day life hasn't changed. And that's how you know it's happening is that nothing's changing. It's like okay, okay, cool, so completely unfalsifiable, rad awesome, love that for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that kind of related to that I have been thinking about a lot lately is we've got this the story that keeps, you know, popping into the news every couple of usually a couple of times a year, that what are called nons are are increasing as a percentage of the population every single year, which is like people who are not affiliated to any religion. And I've seen, especially a few years ago, you know, atheists that I knew who were kind of like more active and like atheism is a movement really celebrating this. I think that does like the the assumption that that means that like atheism is growing more popular has been kind of fundamentally inaccurate. I think what we're seeing and what this this is kind of evidence of, is that like non affiliation with an organized religion is more common than ever. People are rejecting organized, settled religion at a kind of unprecedented rate that's certainly undeniable. That doesn't mean they're as they are still believers. And this is an example, right right, this is people are creating. The Internet has given created a tremendous capacity to build religions, and that's what people are doing.
Speaker 3: That's what this is. Yeah, and it's like how long lasting will it be? I mean, I don't in the scope of in the scope of world faiths. I don't think game stopism is is poised to stand the test of time. I don't think we'll be seeing an ape emperor any anytime soon. But but yeah, like and and the thing is is that like you go back through history and like you you look at like religious archaeology, and like you start sort of breaking away from sort of this idea of Christian hegemony as being effectively like that It's like, okay, you know, once the Christianization of Rome happened, like it was, it was then locked in in like until you know Martin Luther, and then you get like fragmentation into sects, but like it stays like locked in, and it's like it's like nah, when you start really digging into the history, it's like, this is just this is always going on, This is always boiling under the surface. You look at like Puritanism in America through a non like through just kind of like a human lens of like what you know about how people behave, and you suddenly start seeing that it's like, oh, they were just like in a constant, perpetual state of internal fragmentation as people had different ideas about like what was supposed to happen, what should happen, and just kind of like formed you know, cliques and factions, and sometimes those factions got big enough to split off and then they lasted you know, ten, twenty, thirty, fifty years and then like either folded back into the main thing or or whatever. But this kind of like churn in in faith and belief is is just it's always there. It just in an organized, codified faith. It's a lot easier to lose track of it, particularly from a historical perspective. It's a lot easier to just look at like the bigger picture and be like, ah, it was all the same, it was homogeneous. And it turns out no, yeah, sorry, that was a very no, no, no, no, there was. I threw a lot of like very big assumptions into a very tightly packed statement. There, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I think that was great, And yeah, that's that's kind of I think what I what I had to sort of ask about, you know, just sort of this fascination with the way in which almost anything can become a cult these days thanks to sort of the social dynamics of the different online communities and how they they reinforce each other. Like this is kind of at the center of almost everything that's a problem right now, one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah. I think the thing that is new and modern really is the ability, or is the I don't want to say ability, the phenomenon of decentralized self organizing belief systems. You know that Like there's these a lot of the a lot of the meme stock influencers. You know, they're not leading it. They're just like nudging it. They're not in charge of it. And if they if any of them like tried to like really like seize the reins that that would get them like exiled. You know, any any kind of like overt power grab would be would be antithetical to it. But so it's the it's and it's the same thing like in QAnon, if somebody anyone who's come out and been like I am q listen to me, gets immediately just like just demolished by the faithful because like it's it's antithetical to their whole thing to have a really identifiable leader. And and the fact that there is no identifiable leader, that that the leader is mythological is useful and beneficial to the to the organization, and those kinds of like those kinds of movements, they're not unique to the modern age, but the modern age has made them very easy to form, almost by accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Dan, this would be something for people to continue to keep an eye on because it's not gonna stop.
Speaker 3: Probably I'm I'm there's gonna be some like amazing doctoral dissertations on this subject in like ten years.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would, I would certainly agree with that. Well, Dan, you want to let the people know where they can find you.
Speaker 3: They can find me on YouTube. The channel name is Folding ideas and I'm on socials, Twitter, Blue Sky, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, as as Foldable Human excellent.
Speaker 2: All right, check out Dan's videos, check out his YouTube channel, like and subscribe and check us out. But you already have because you're here, so continue to check us out.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening,