Speaker 1: Look Mayer. Oh, I see you and look over there. How is that culture? Yes? Wow, lost culture? Lost CULTURESA is calling.
Speaker 2: You were singing the amazing song Dreaming by Blondie before we got into the mic.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, this episode is going to be a lot more singing and giggling in way less tears. Promise, Promise, promise. Oh stop, I'm singing Dreaming by Blondie and I'm in a really good mood.
Speaker 3: When I met you in a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Can we first say one thing and let's relitigate this because it's really important culture. I wouldn't go back in time, and I wouldn't, like, you know, back to the future this because I think everything worked out. I'm about to talk about Trix Mittel. Wow, Tricky Mittel won that she won that lip sync to Dreaming by Blondie in season seven of Rupaul' Drag Race and Pearl lost.
Speaker 2: Oh, because I was about to ask who did she even go up against? But that was Yes, that was her and Pearl and Pearl was in that snake that cobra outfit was in that like beautiful silk cheap how situation.
Speaker 1: I will never forget, like I don't think they do What's the Tea podcast anymore? But Ruin Michelle had on Debbie Harry and Blondie, who were the guest judges literally for that episode. Yeah, and they were talking about that elimination and Rue was like, but don't you think that gurl was really giving Blondie, you know, And Debbie Harry just goes, no, we like Tricksy. Wow. Now was this like after Tricksy had become Tricksy? No, this was well before this was I mean, the only thing we knew about.
Speaker 2: Trixy at the time was Wisconsin Girl eliminated that episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know the first time I ever heard that Trixie Mattel was like popping off in like a way that felt like good and individual to her was Dave went to go see her show in Pete Town, like years and years ago, a fixture, and he was like, no one gets it, but Trixie Mattel is fucking incredible. And then obviously very quickly after that, everyone got it, and now Tricksy is the legend.
Speaker 2: The think about Tricksy is like, she will never abandon her roots and she will continue to be a Peetown girl.
Speaker 1: M she was back, but I think she's on her sabbatical right now. She was just hanging out and she just fucking deserves that. No one in entertainment deserves a break more than fucking tricksy man tell and I'm my.
Speaker 2: God, she is one of those people. I have not moved to do this too much. But when she put out that video being like I'm gonna go on a break, I was like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna text the girl. I texted her too.
Speaker 2: I was like, take as much as you need, Like we all have been there. We've all like fucking fizzled and sizzled, and you gotta sizzle.
Speaker 1: You know, she's a sizzler. When you're such a sizzler, you need to take a break. When you're a hot Fahida, you gotta sizzle. I think we are. Are we both Fahidas? Are we in our Fahida moment?
Speaker 2: I found out there's some like YouTuber who for somebody sent I stumbled on this video where he like teaches you how to like pose for photos, and I was like, sure, I'll watch this. I forget what his name is, but he I don't know if you mentioned the term sizzling, but you got to sizzle into a pose. You can't just like you can't, like you gotta like kind of shake it up, but kind of sizzle it off.
Speaker 1: Like don't just like hold the pose. You gotta like relax into it and sizzle. You know. Yes, I'm at Fijida for sure. When I'm in front of the camera, I want to sizzle it. I want to scintillate. I want to be a Fahida.
Speaker 2: Wow, cut to me naming my daughter Fahida. Oh my god, that's my god gorgeous name? Is that a nominee? I think I think the most gorgeous name.
Speaker 1: What was the category name? Best name for a girl that you haven't even thought of yet?
Speaker 2: I think that's gonna be a category next year for cultural words.
Speaker 1: Oh I love Fahida. Fahida, Fahida. Stop it now? Oh that's good? See what I mean? Like already this is off to a different foot. And can I just say, can I just say something to your podcast to all the readers Katie's publicist finalists who reached out to me after last week, I just want to say that I realize how lucky I am to have you guys. You all checked on me, and I want you to know. I am fine. I had a really hard week and I went to therapy and I worked some shit out and I've taken some new steps and it's fine, and I definitely feel all those things and they're all true. But I don't No one needs to worry about me. They made me a fucking playlist they like collaborate on all playlist for me altogether, and they sent it to me for Happy Music to get me out of my little Spotify ret that I'm in. I just want to acknowledge and say that we are the luckiest. We're so lucky idiots to have you guys, and just love you guys so much. And you because I want to tell you something. I had to self immolate and listened to that episode for Edits and went through it again, and you were just such a good friend to me. You are so that girl. I can't no, you really are that girl. I knew you were.
Speaker 2: I knew you were that girl. I went to bed the other night. My final thoughts before I drifted off into sleep was my girl, Matt Rogers, what an angel on this earth? I'm so lucky?
Speaker 1: What made you think of that? When you were laying I just had fun. Oh shut up, you fool. Don't give yourself credit. Never give myself credit. Promise you girl.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think this is a perfect I mean that is a perfect distillation of the pure love like I feel especially now fandom, even though I don't really love that word, but like a fandom is a reflection of the person and the reason why we have, why you have these really caring people who made that playlist for you is because you give that out. It is what goes out goes in and vice versa. So doesn't surprise me at all, but I'm delighted.
Speaker 1: To hear that. Well, I am in love with all of you and I always will be. What else? So should we get into the fucking colture? Because there has been culture? Can I tell you who whose concert I saw the other night? You went to Jone Jet and Elanis Morrissett. I went to Okay. So this was the this phenomenon that has been happening lately of I'll just be like buying something from a store and the cashier will just tell me about an event and I'll just go Cashier's No, I told you a few weeks ago, I was at the Beachwood Cafe and I think I was getting like a green juice or something, and the girl was like, I saw the best concert last night. I'm the biggest fan of Jesse j and I went to go see it and it was amazing, and it was like at the Terragram Ballroom. It was like a couple hundred people and she was shredding, and like, I was like, does she perform again tonight? Turns out she was. I went incredible. It happened again. Jared and I were in Studio City, like at a weed dispensary and the guy was like, I'm going to see Alanis morris set tonight and I was like, what the fuck? That is a show that I would one hundred percent go to. So then the next night it was Morgan Wade, who we missed. Oh my god, Jon Jat we came in halfway through incredible, and then Alanis Morrissett bitch. This was truly first of all groundbreaking vocal technique. Of course, I'm telling you, like you don't think of her as one of the singers. She is one of the singers. Her instrument, her technique is nuts.
Speaker 2: Resonant, open like expansive voice, on her. Let me tell you she did a performance of Mary Jane. You've heard Mary Jane. You know the song Mary Jane by Alanis Morissett. What's the man of Mary Jane? Had a hard day?
Speaker 1: I know Mary Jane by Mary J. Blige. Oh nah, gimme so different. Also a great technique on her. Well. I first knew the song Mary Jane because Nicki McKibben sang it on American Aisle back in the day, God Wow season one, God Rass season one. But then I got into Alanis amazing. She did a performance of Mary Jane at the Key of the Other Night. That was like a moment in culture. It was a moment in culture to say nothing of all the hits. You live, you learn, Oh give it up for you live, you learn on your feet, on your feet, for you, if you're in your car, get up on your feet in a pod. You better shut up, you better shut up, You live, you learn? Oh my god. You know what's also funny about Elanis is like she's obviously synonymous with like female rage. Yes, and it could not have been more of a joyful show like obviously like towards the end she did you ought to know, and everyone was popping off. But it was so fun to get that anger. Can I say I love anger? Tap in to the anger, honey, it's fun to just let it go. Like you should have seen me in therapy and EMDR last week.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, anger can only be the really, it cannot be the fodder for more anger. It cannot beget more No, that is that is the only note on anger that I have.
Speaker 1: You're so right, but I love anger. Anger is I mean, like expressing it in a healthy way has been something. Really, It's actually given me peace. That's amazing because I've realized for quite some time now I have had so much anger that I have not expressed. And in doing this therapy, I'm doing like I finally expressed all my anger and I realized what it's really about. And it's been incredible. And then going to that concert, I was just like, wow, you ought to know, like this is really it's very useful for me right now. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, that is a pertinent song just on the note of anger, and to just bring back.
Speaker 1: A piece of culture, like here's some words.
Speaker 4: You live, you learn, you love, you learn, you cry, you learn, you lose, you learn, you bleed, you learn, you scream, you learn. That is life. That is the directionality we love to see. All roads lead to you learn. Okay, babe, let me tell you something. Never have lyrics been more simple but also so dynamic. And I'm telling you just say nothing of the hook.
Speaker 1: In the way it's written in sung but like that is a cathartic moment in music. Like just to see it so many years later really hit in the same way for this insane cross section of people. I mean it was very sapphic, yes, of course, but it was also gay, but it was also straight women with their husbands and husbands that were really excited to be there. And you're talking about someone that everyone respects. Show me someone who doesn't respect Alanis Morissett.
Speaker 2: I want to say so in this book Status and Culture that I have tried to extole it to you. You've bought I have it. So he has a timetable in there for how long it takes for something, and let's talk about it on the podcast and readers, Kese publicist finalist, let's get your take on this. So this is the timetable that he has.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll just say this is from the book Status and Culture by W. David Mars how our desire for social rank creates taste, identity, art, fashion, and constant change. And actually, kind of on face value, it kind of speaks to mean boys a little bit too, because that book is a lot about how culture politics flows downhill from culture, like in just about like interesting things to think about as of late. Okay, so here we go.
Speaker 2: In the book, there is a table based on the art historian James Laver, published in nineteen thirty seven. It's a now famous chart outlining how evaluations of certain trends change over time. One year after something comes out, it's dowdy. Ten years after something comes out, it's hideous. Twenty years after its time, it's ridiculous. Thirty years after its time, it's amusing. Fifty years, it's quaint seventy years, it's charming, one hundred years, it's romantic, one fifty it's beautiful. I don't know that that applies anymore. This feels very specific, but.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, like I think we're rounding.
Speaker 2: I think like there's been enough of a patina on Jagged Little Pill that it is a classic for all time. But we were talking about Anthony Keatus on our other podcasts Two Guys, Five Rings based on the closing ceremony. I'm just I'm connecting Atlantis to Anthony, and I might be a little not working, but like there's something about those two people to me as we consume them now in the culture, as they perform their old work where we go, that is a beautiful, aesthetically important thing.
Speaker 1: It's authenticity. And I think that's another thing that I was leaving the concert saying, was at no point did that feel like a contrived performance at all. I don't think there's a contrived bone in her body and she obviously I don't think Jaggi Littlepill was her first album and obviously was the breakthrough, but I believe she struggled for a second and then released Jagged Little Pill, and it was this like cultural moment that harnessed like a feeling and was able to you know, hit the mainstream. And I will say it's not even just the aesthetics of what she was doing, which feel like Alanis. You know, she had her Alanis hair, she was working the stage like Alanis Morisset, like feeling like she had an aged a day because probably her spirit, like her authenticity has always been there, and that maybe why, like ever since Jagged Little Pill, like she's had successes, but nothing on that level because she probably was resistant to selling out a lot, you know what I mean. Like there was the Jagged Little Pill musical a few years ago, which I feel like felt a little odd because that musical like marrying with sort of like the way the musical theater can be in a contemporary sense where it feels a little bit like flame, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it's relationship to audience and that never being the relationship that Alanis had to her audience, right.
Speaker 1: And I also think like we're talking about these lyrics like You Live You Learn, like when Alanis is performing them from her authentic place as a then young person who's like, you know, working through this, that's so different from like you know, six or seven, you know, thirty five year olds who booked a musical theater job singing You Live You Learn, Like it's just not gonna it's not gonna hit the same. But I don't know, I guess what I'm saying is it's like Jagged Little Pill, like that's an authentic piece of work and to talk about Anthony Keatis, like that's like an authentic artist. Yeah, and they're both authentic artists. And there were moments in this concert that she was doing things like there's a moment where she just spins in a circle for like a minute, wow, and then collapses on stage with her hair in her face and finish the song obviously extremely nauseous and dizzy, and I'm like, she just put herself in that state so that she could like get this across the way she needs to get it across, and like, I don't know, it just felt very genuine. Everything about it felt genuine. Everything about the messaging was so purely from her. Like the second song in the entire set was accompanied with graphics that were like it will take two hundred and twenty years for women at this rate to achieve equal pay, Like every six seconds, this happens to a woman like these. We were two songs in and she was like, already, I'm letting you know that I am this person who's still concerned about these issues and I am still out here to speak to this stuff that I've wanted to speak to from the beginning, which is about that it's hard to be a fucking woman in the way that you're treated by society and the men in your life and the fucking narcissists that want to take advantage of you and your youth and your vitality and your talent and your shine, like that is universal. But she hasn't lost that, you know. It's like she as a developing, maturing artist, has not lost the edge that came along with her in her debut and never got sanded down. No, and it feels like she just wrote it, you know, like it's like that music really still works. It was cool.
Speaker 2: I think it's time for us to announce that Alanis Morris sat Oh my god, is in the top fifty of the Iconic four hundred.
Speaker 1: No, you were announcing that today. She's in the top fifty. That's all we'll say. We can't say where she landed, but we can say she's in the top fifty. And you know what she is. And if you thought maybe we forgot about the Iconic four hundred, you're only a little bit right.
Speaker 2: It's coming. It's coming, it's time, it's been time. We're just gonna say full disclosure, full transparency for the next couple months. Matt and I will be on opposite coast. We're gonna do this over zoom in our respective wherever we find ourselves. I guess I was going to say homes, but we're not even gonna be home necessarily. Don't worry. Matt has since found a sense of mooring despite the fact that he is going to be bouncing around this great nation of ours. I'm good, but we're just gonna be doing this over zoom. So we all we have made the joint decision to not have as many guests in that time because we do prefer it when it's in person, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the guests are sort of a thing where it's like, let's just make sure that it can be the best version of what that episode is, you know what I'm saying, And those are obviously when we're in person, and can you know, figure video out and do all that stuff, just because now that we've set that expectation, we want to keep meeting that expectation. But life being the way it is, Bowen and I are not always together together. And to quote the title of a Patty Harrison film, which everyone should be seeing, by the way, it's so good in the spirit Award nominee Patty Harrison. I just texted her the other day to ask her a question. I got the green text back, which is so Patty coded. What happened? I don't know where the fuck in the world she is, Like, I I wish I knew. She's one of the most difficult people to get a hold of. And I will say that publicly.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she would talk to that. Miraculous that you even got a text back And this is no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I said. What I mean is I said my text and the green thing came up, and I was like, Okay, well she's either dead or in Europe.
Speaker 2: Let's hope it's the latter. Let's not put that thought in people's heads.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think she's dead. Do you think Patty's in the Iconic four hundred? Yeah? Yeah, but really low, really low. I think she just barely made it. She's above Blake Lively, who is having a great week. Did we announce that Blake Lively was never to announced? We did announce that Blake Lively was number four her. Blake Lively is number four hundred on the list of the Iconic four hundred, and I guess we should get into this. So there's drama. There's drama over the book. It ends with us and not just within its pages.
Speaker 2: Oh right, can you fill me in on this. I don't really care to know more about the drama.
Speaker 1: Honestly. It's one of those stories that I guess because she is so famous like that. It's one of those things that everyone sort of now talks about because I too didn't care that much. Not to say I don't love Blake. I do love Blake. I actually auditioned for this movie. Oh, I got a new agent, and I think he was like trying to send me on more like atypical things. So I went on tape. Okay, this was funny. It was the week of my breakup last year, like a year and a half when I went through that thing, and I was so I was crying every day, sobbing every day, and I had to cry on this tape and you were like, use it. But I also had to be straight, So I was like I had to like I had to manage, like how to maintain my emotion but also seem like a love interest of Blake Lively, who by the way, was named Atlas. Gotta cut it out. With this name. But it was just so funny because me crying as a straight man, like I don't really think plays well. You can.
Speaker 2: You were raw enough to deliver on the crying, but you there's that extra refraction where you're like, I gotta be okay, it's too much though, the wires get too cross.
Speaker 1: Because it's like you're not supposed to have those checkpoints where you're like thinking too hard about like how you're expressing the emotion. The emotion should just like be there or in a way that you christrain it and then give it. Meanwhile, like I was not in control of my emotions, and you think, oh, this is a great opportunity to go on tape for something emotional because I am, And then it just didn't match up with whatever whatever obviously didn't book. You're not gonna see me like making love to Blake Lively in cinema, I don't think anytime soon. I don't know, but suffice it to say I hadn't heard about this movie since then. I really didn't know. It was like this huge book. It's apparently one of the biggest books. And I guess Blake Lively and the director Justin Baldoni like absolutely hate each other. It's one of those like, don't worry, Darling situations where it's just like the director and the entire cast and creative team like cannot promote the movie together or whatever the fuck. And I don't actually know why. I've heard like rumors as to why, but it's one of those situations where it's like now bled into the public and it's it's that right.
Speaker 2: The only bit I caught was Jenny Slate art pal Love, previous guest of the show, being on a red carpet being asked like, it must have been so amazing to see justin like be like the director and like be on camera and like, god, what was that like for you? And she goes, yeah, I mean I'm totally burchering this. But she was like, it's hard to do both. Yeah, it's really hard to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She fully did not answer the question, but in a way that was very obviously like expertly touching it. But also no, it was chic and team Jenny whatever side she's on, which I believe is blakes. But I mean, yeah, it just seems like one of those things where it's very obviously a bad situation and to watch people navigate that in public is so it's frustrating obviously because you know, no one wanted it like that, But it is a little bit funny where it's just like and now of course everyone's coming in with their opinions on what it must be. You know, it's it's also a rough book, and I like, yeah, have you seen the trailer. I haven't seen any of It's like half romantic comedy. And then this dude becomes like very violent and abusive, and so I don't really know how you get that across the people. Yeah, I mean tw domestic abuse to the nth degree. But that's what the movie is giving. So on top of all that, it can't feel good to have like strife, and you know, we just hope everyone's okay, Blake looks great on the carpets.
Speaker 2: It can't be good to have strife. That's that just applies across the board. And that's actually a rule of culture. What number is that six?
Speaker 1: It can't be good to have stre And that's just across.
Speaker 2: Across the board unless it's cloud strife from Final Fantasy. Steven, Now, where does this leave us in terms of this ongoing conversation culturally that we're all having about the purpose of a press tour at this point, it makes me feel nothing. I'm like, just tell me if the movie's worth seeing. I don't need to watch the cast play games on Vanity Fair, you know, doing like, well, do you not need that?
Speaker 1: Perfect? I don't think I need it. I really don't. Oh got to talk about your girl on hot Ones. Arianna absolutely slaid hot Ones. She was HOI rock, she was poised. It was graceful the hot ones and also and funny. I love the way she talks through her experience like she's just like hmm, like she really is given, like it started getting Meisner.
Speaker 2: It's very sense memory or is that out there? I don't even know which one of that is.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: It's making me realize that I don't like hot sauce. So she's very in touch with her emotions.
Speaker 1: As we all know. I loved her hot Ones and so this is what I mean, Like, I love hot Ones as a press chour, hot Ones, hot ones on hot Ones. Need you on hot Ones? Have I asked? Never? Babe? Can I tell you something it's not because of interest or you don't want to do it? Oh? No, I would love to do it.
Speaker 2: I just I think I've seen every single episode that is one of my favorite things ever anything in media that is one of my favorite things. And Sean Evans, I think is one of our best interviewers hands down.
Speaker 1: Here's an idea, why don't we do an in person with Sean Evans for Lost Culch If you'd be into it and do it while we do Lost Culture? Could that work?
Speaker 2: I think there's something legal there, Like we can be fun. What do you mean, No, it's his it's his ip loo. He has to be protective of it. We understand, but like, look, we get it, Like, look, we can do I don't think some money on watching Happens Live, Sean can't do hot ones on Lost Culture stuts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like I think there in his court, that's in depth, balls in his court, and I'm just saying, hold on wait. Banna says he did hot ones on Ron Burgundy Live and it was very fun and he was very lovely. Okay, so we're saying he's connected to the family, just saying I would be really excited to do a one. Of course he would, and Bowen would too. You like spice, can I tell you, I don't know how much I like spice anymore, because I used to identify as like, like I said a couple weeks ago, like a daredevil, and that sometimes included spice. But there are times when I am extremely uncomfortable eating out at certain places where the spice gets involved.
Speaker 2: God, one thing I was thinking about with you, I was like, Matt has really gone on this tear about how he would any day rather eat at a restaurant than anyone's home cooking. Do you are missing out on a world of delight and comfort and you know love that goes into making food.
Speaker 1: People don't cook for me. They don't cook for me. They don't want me to come over in well you.
Speaker 2: They don't cook for you because they're not motivated to cook for you.
Speaker 1: Get motivated. I'm available, I'm around. No no, no, no no. You have love for a man.
Speaker 2: You've disinvited the notion of someone cooking for you. I think that's what you've done. I'm calling you in, babe. Okay, fine, you're right, But I did not mean to cut you off.
Speaker 1: That's okay. I didn't feel cut off. I didn't feel cut off.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just think for that reason. Ironically, you have a comfort with eating. You like to eat what you like to eat, and perhaps that is something that is corralling you within a certain kind of dining experience, so that you are not you maybe are not that adventurous, and that's okay. It's okay to not be an adventurous eater.
Speaker 1: First of all, I resent that part of what you're saying. I am a very adventurous, adventurosus eater, and I would think that you know that because you've frequented many restaurants with me. What I am not is a sharer. I'm not a share. I don't like to share. I actually really don't like a family style situation because I always end up not getting a lot. No, that's true. Well, you ate at Salas on the Bay in Pete Town. I didn't like that sharing situation. I wanted to have my own Andre. We we had so many leftovers. It was not that you did not end up with that much food. It's there was so much food left over. It wasn't my preferred thing. Man, Can I tell you my preferred thing. I'm about to go create. This is big Max and tomatoes all over again. This doesn't make any I'm not gaslighting you at all. I'm telling you the truth, which is I don't like family style. I don't like it. I want we can you know, we can share apps, you can have a snip in my drink. I want to eat my own entree. I'm sorry. And I also say this, I don't like it, and you told me your mom does this too. I hate that I become like a fourteen year old when my mother cuts a big piece of her food and just puts it on my plate, and I'm like, don't do that, even though it's like only benevolent, why it's not. I think it's actually toxically benevolent. Oh my god, toxically benevolent title of app.
Speaker 2: Title that my sister and I had so many conversations with my mom. We're like, Mom, it's actually it ruins the experience.
Speaker 1: It's it's to the point of ruin. No, We're like, Mom, we don't.
Speaker 2: We've told you so many it's it's a boundary issue, right, We're like decades at this point. Please, before she even why do all moms do this? Before she even takes a bite, It's because she's she wants to provide. She she wants to check the box of providing because that's important to her. But Matt, she's cutting three quarters of the chicken cutlet and plopping it onto our plates, and meanwhile we're eating a whole fucking like yeah, gumbo or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like like hypothetically, we are at Papa Doo's famous k New Orleans restaurant, New Orleans style restaurant, Cajun restaurant, and we're just like, mom, stop. It really came to a head at Papa Does in Colorado, we were like, Mom, you need to eat your own meal first before you share with us. It's not that we are against sharing, right, Well, at this point, it's less a thing.
Speaker 1: And this is like a anytime anyone like take the mom thing out of it. It's just when you've established that you don't prefer a certain thing to happen, and it happens, it then crosses over to it doesn't matter if it's a nice action. You're just not listening to me, like I don't want that on my plate. In fact, it's not even that I don't want it because I don't want to eat it. I want you to eat it. So that is what you ordered and I like to, like I've been saying, I'm consistent about this. My entre is my entree, okay. And you know that because you've gotten your grubbers you I can tell you want a bite of that, You want a quote unquote bite of that often, and you see my face. Is that so wrong? But Boen, you know better. You know that I want you my food, you order it. Then if you want it so bad when you pick something on the menu, that's your entre, you have made a commitment to that. But you're operating at a lack of knowledge, okay.
Speaker 2: And I'm realizing that as soon as my mom I can't believe I'm going here, but as soon as my mom is no longer on this earth with me, it will be the it will be the thing that I mourn the most. I'll be like, I wish my mom could PLoP a chicken cutlet onto my plate.
Speaker 1: And we cannot go down this road because I said there'd be no crying camping. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I just had to put that out there because that immediately watched over me. I go, oh my god, what kind of son?
Speaker 1: Am I? No? Yes? And then you start judging yourself and getting angry at yourself for getting annoyed. But it's like, no, I'm annoyed because I was asked a question about something, which is do you want a piece of this? I said no, thank you, And then and then it always is are you sure? And I'm like, yes, I'm sure. I have all this food in front of me. And then well, you know how you know my mother like it's always like a conversation with her own self where she's like, well, you know, I'm gonna give him a little piece, and then she gives me a little piece, and I have to get upset on myself because then I hear the fourteen year old come out, mom, like you know what I mean, like you become you were? Yeah, when was your worst stage? When were you most petulant? Teenage petulance? I think it was. It's always high school, right, It's usually middle school for me. For me, I had thirteen fourteen, I was not cool two people because I was not handed myself. That was peak hatred of myself. So that you know, you're not pointing out word in a good way.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, one's the best diversion of themselves at thirteen and.
Speaker 1: That's what contre number eight, number thirteen, actually thirteen. Imagine you were Dakota Fanning. Oh stop it, I'm just kidding. She's probably lovely. Now, I just mean, you know, man on fire, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, Man on fire, Man on wire, the way we're balancing acting now, we love our moms very much, yes, okay, anyway, do you think our moms will be on the Iconic for one hundred?
Speaker 1: No? I do, But can I tell you who might be? Speaking of moms and the performance of a mom, Joan Chen.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you for bringing this up and a half.
Speaker 1: I saw d D And what a movie this was, Sean Wang, the director, the creator that you are. This was amazing that this was I haven't seen obviously like the Compass eighth Grade right like by Bo Burnham. But yes, yes, these movies that like get these performances out of these kids, these like reed, very emotional, grounded performances from these kids. Like it's a genuine journey into what it was like to be a millennial in two thousand and seven, like a you know, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen year old kid around that time, and just the blast from the past that was the aim aol instant messenger stuff. I was like, we have to talk about this. The soundscape that didning bear when someone logs off and the door shuts what that It was such a trigger, Like I remember I would used to wait for the girls I had crushes on. Yeah, yeah, to into the thing, and I would like, you know, like have aim conversations with like Summer Babe ninety eight XO.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. And isn't there a whole smarter child scene in the movie Oh yeah, certainly is Oh my god? That that hit me hard and soft?
Speaker 1: Did you used to talk to a smarter child when like you could tell people had it with you same and smart child? Like like I remember I one time, I think I said to smarter child, I have no friends, and and this happens in the movie and smarter child was like, well, I'm your friend, smiley face, And it's just like Jesus. It was triggering because it's like you remember that like instantaneous comfort, but also that feeling of despair when you think that that is as big as your life is going to get, you know, like being in middle school in high school and like when you feelly people are mad at you. Or you made a mistake, or you messed up, or you know, just like that feeling of crushing self hatred and disappointment at that age because your life is only as big as your high school or whatever.
Speaker 2: The fuck of course, but like we cannot underplay how important that moment is. I think just in film, like there's a Smarter Child scene. I don't think this is the first time we've seen Smarter Child on film and television, but there's something about that moment in the movie spoiler alert, but there's just we're not spoiling it, but there's just like a you know, second act low point for the character. Yes, and he in his desperation, in his despair, talks to smarter Child. And I'm like, this is something that all of us thought was just specific and individual to us. It was a thing where I was like, this could have only happened to me. But this is being used as a plot turning point in a way that is supposed to be universal, and like it is like Sean Wang being like, I know this has happened to everyone who was growing up at that time, you know what I mean. That's I think that's incredible, the pang of a new chat window, like not the not the low xylophone, but the like so evocative, so emotional.
Speaker 1: I mean, kudos to whoever to sound designed that for aol, you know what I mean? Like going back like that, that's forever. Also, there's a moment where my space comes into play and the do you remember the top eight, top eight? Top even the top eight would eat your ass up? I remember there were friends of mine that would deliberately fuck with me. Of course I would be like number six and then I'd be gone and I'd be like, oh is this person on there and not me? And just like eight, the number eight was hard because you either had four friends or ten friends. You know what I'm saying. It's just like no one ever just had like eight friends like that fit neatly in there. It was like you either had a few and then you had to fill it out, or you had a ton and you had to cut people and then what do you do? Oh.
Speaker 2: I was definitely like, well I've got these three and then the five. The other five are cannon fodder. I wasn't thinking in those terms, obviously, but it's like that number dictated everything and your place, Like I ate, like it's eight is.
Speaker 1: The most is eighth the most important number?
Speaker 2: I think so, oh, and you know Schoolhouse Rock had I think the eight song for Schoolhouse Rock was sort of the most beautiful and magical and important.
Speaker 1: I don't remember it. Can you perform it?
Speaker 2: It's sung from the point of view of a girl who is skating. Okay, that's how it goes. I'm doing this from memory.
Speaker 1: Okay, figure eight or.
Speaker 3: Rather four figure four, so rather eight if you skate, it would be great if you could make.
Speaker 1: A figure eight.
Speaker 3: One times eight is eight, Two times eight is sixteen, Three times eight is twenty four, four times eight is thirty two, and five times eight is forty.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The sensation of deal is like I'm being tickled, Like, oh no, that was really evocative. No, there's no falsetto. Oh yeah, that's that's my falsetto. I thought you metvibrato. No, there's no vibrato. But it was a little bit of a broad anyway. Besides that point that wild Yes.
Speaker 2: The top eight moment in the film is huge. Did you ever put in the code so you could have a top sixteen?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't know the code. That's so you coded you knowing the code is Bowen coded. No, no, no, that's as far as my coding went.
Speaker 2: But like there was like a thing you caught, like a thing went around school one day of like, oh well Kayla knows like the the HTML so you can get a top sixteen. And I remember, oh my god, like every white girl having the Ben Folds five cover of Bitches ain't ship where I'm sorry, but this man is fully singing the un word earnestly like it's it's like, this is such.
Speaker 1: A moment in time. Do you want to know what my song was? My Space song was the entire time? Tell me actually something, this is for memory. No, it was never actually something because I could never be that outwardly gay, right right. If I die and go to hell real soon, it will appeared to me as this room and for eternity, I'd lay in bed in my box, just half stone, with the pillow under my head. Say anything, bitch, I.
Speaker 2: Think that is the most still identify. No, but can I tell you what that signals to me? What you were sure of yourself. Maybe you don't feel that way, but at least you were like you did not have the identity crisis that the rest of us had where we were. We were changing our song every other day. And I cannot tell you any of the songs that I had on because I was I did not know who the hell I was, and it just ran the gamut.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be honest, I knew who I was, and I'll tell you who I wasn't. I was not a someone who was like ready to come out and put behind these das of eyes on there, because that's what it would have been, you know what I'm saying, right right. But I also was not the kind of person that was like gonna put postal service on there. I was like, this is boring to me. See that was me such great heights was the song. See I didn't get it, but I so got this. I can't hear you can't hear it, unfortunately, No, wait, let me play it on my phone.
Speaker 2: Then I don't think so many zoom like filtering out selectively filtering out some other external sounds. It's like sometimes we need to hear what's being what the dog is barking.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you the people that are gonna come out of the woodwork after I play this, Like, I know this is going to connect me with so many people could there. You're gonna be triggered in a positive way. Ready, And I want to see your face when I play.
Speaker 5: It if I go to hell real, so that is it will appear to me as.
Speaker 1: This room and four incertity. I'd lay in bed. Oh my god, that album was huge. Oh my god. Cold her on the phone and she touched herself. Oh my god, bitch, that's when I should have been putting out music. So I had have no voice today. None of those guys that put out music then have any voice today. Like where's Ryan Key from Yellow Card? Wow?
Speaker 2: We have wild Away the minute. I'm sorry, I'm just looking at the time. Time's fine while we're having fun exactly.
Speaker 1: But yes, I mean just even seeing the MySpace thing and seeing the song and everything like that, I was like so taken back and that was culture. I mean, that was that was the beginning. Yeah, that was the beginning.
Speaker 2: That was when we were in the wild wild West, like totally like unsuper like our parents didn't really know like what the hell we were up to.
Speaker 1: On the like my dad would sign me in, like I member, he would have to come down to the downstairs computer, our downstairs desktop and he would sign me into AOL and then he would leave right and I would be I would be on there all fucking day. I'd be in the weirdest chat rooms. Yeah, oh trust me.
Speaker 2: I yeah, It's like it went to bad places in those chat rooms.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Remember ASL I would lie, I'd lie.
Speaker 2: Twenty two eight twenty two f Miami, and I would fully have cybersex with these men.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Now I would love to read that now looking back, like you creating what you think would be sexy and hot to hear, like, yeah, I love when you touch my boob. Yeah, my dry vagina is on your your ass. You didn't even know to call it dry. My vagina is getting tickli. I'm starting to feel really good in my vaginas pretending to be specially active women. I mean, look, all genders rmans.
Speaker 2: So I I really want to point out this moment in the movie though, where like, and I think this is kind of like the whole thing about that film is where it's like he has a crush at school and then they strike up this conversation online and then she basically says, you're cute for an Asian guy, And I don't think there's any scoring. It's just this character sitting alone in a silent room internalizing this really important formative moment where someone is like flirting with him, paying him comblem but like there's an asterisk and it's about race and like all this other shit. But it's like there's no like filmically, there's like no sound, there's no dialogue, he has no response, Like it's just all completely again internal And I'm like that is like the millennial experience in a lot of ways for everybody, not just Asian people. It's like there's something about that where like you are receiving, you are letting these emotional moments land with no way to displace them, to like transfer them over to something else, to like.
Speaker 1: There's no it ends with you.
Speaker 2: You are the final receptacle for that kind of thing and it has to fuck you up.
Speaker 1: Like that is a crazy thing. You know, the racial hierarchy was such an unchecked given at that time.
Speaker 2: But I'm not even saying that. I'm just saying like you probably like had moments online where like someone rejected you or someone made you feel like shit.
Speaker 1: Well, yes you, but just to give that moment the way that it deserves, which is that it is a movie about an Asian kid and an Asian family, and he is living his experience as and like basically, you're watching this film and you're just watching a kid. You of course, you know, you're sitting there and you're you're with him. And then he has this moment which is this girl says, and there's been nothing negative about this girl. You just think she's a sweet kid. They're having a sweet conversation and she just comes out and says, you're pretty cute foreign Asian. And it's it's, like, like you said, it's just presented in the way that it's said, and it doesn't even really land on him in like an extra way. He just internalizes it and hears it and then they move on. Oh, but it's the first moment of the movie where you're like, we're really starting to see the coming of age wheels start to turn here. Yeah, and it's a really I mean, there was amazing scripting, it was amazing directing, it was amazing acting. Yeah, but what an important moment because yes, while you are correct that like everyone based on their own identity receives their own microaggressions, Like we saw a formative moment in that kid's life that is in many ways like the and I hate these two words, but like the why now why today of that movie, and that like he's literally going through changes. You know, his sister's leaving for school, he's gonna go to the high school, and he's now interacting with other people in this way that brings in the romantic and the sexual when all these kids are forming. And this is the idea that she spits out very now naturally, which is that I am attracted to you despite your limitation in my eyes right, And that is really startling and obviously comes from a very real place that I know, my entire theater no one was breathing. It was a moment that I will remember for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're so right though about this thing of like we just move on from it. It doesn't even land on him fully or in an extra way. It's like, but I think that's kind of like what's being What the statement is is that this human being is just going to like live the rest of his life with that weird pseudo acceptance, not quite acceptance but not quite rejection. It's like, what's going on there? I mean, like this connects to like my day today. The first thing I woke up to on my phone was some fucking idiot on scruff. I'm on the apps. You can hit me up. I'm you can reach out to me. I'm accessible. But some fucking idiot on scruff going, oh my god, Duel Cambooster, I love your work. And then what I immediately said to him was, dude, that fucking sucks. When I called you dude, I'm pissed off.
Speaker 1: I hate dud dude if I call you dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, I was just like, dude, that fucking sucks. And then he unferls this huge apology. He was like, oh, I'm you know, I'm so sorry. I should have known better. Both you and Joel have like expressed like, you know, you guys don't like here and like and I didn't even respond and then like and then he ends his whole pod being like, anyway, I'm so sorry. You have to deal with like mid white guys like me like saying stupid shit like this, and I'm like, see.
Speaker 1: Now you're making Now you're making this thing. I have to assuage You're like no, no, no, no, no, see here's the thing. And oh, the fucking rage when you have fucked up, when you have fucked up, and your instinct is to then try and create a situation where you were the victim. Because you fucked up. You need help and I cannot give it to you. Once you've hurt me. I don't owe you shit, bitch, period. Oh you shit, once you have hurt me, period dot.
Speaker 2: And I know and this is something that this is rit small, something that you.
Speaker 1: Know all too well, because I will forgive everyone but myself, and no if someone ever like someone approaches you like that with that stupid fucking like, whether it's a joke or whatever it is, like genuine misconception or joke, it doesn't fucking matter. At this point. You fucked up. I told you you fucked up, and you knew you fucked up because I said the word dude, which I hate. And now it's mid white guys like me. You're exactly right, and keep it moving. I don't need to now comfort you know, like it's over. You mean you did something fucked up. You're right, you do, suck, move on, keep it moving, go be unhappy over there. I douce to you.
Speaker 2: I did not start this internet conversation with you to make you feel bad, even though like like this is the thing now, it's like now we kind of know how to deal with this, and like you know the way the internet works today, but it's like in that movie, it's like in the nascent period of the internet, of the way that like we were communicating me and no idea what the rules were and like what the differences were in real life interaction.
Speaker 1: It's like, God, like, thank god, we've come a long way.
Speaker 2: Thank God, I've come a long way personally in my life to know to like respond to someone who like says something racially stupid like that and be like, dude.
Speaker 1: Just just just have some tact And I don't.
Speaker 2: And I guess tact is subjective, but I'm also like maybe it's not like bring back etiquette.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you something? Yeah, if I would approach you on the dating app, not me whatever, like some some like handsome guy. Let's let's say I'm a little bit over perfectly midwife guy ready and I approach you on the dating app and this is my opening line, what what do you say? Hey? I just want to tell you I think you're amazing. I think you're so great and so funny, like what about that? And then and then it segues into like what are you up to like or something like that, just starting a conversation so lovely, oh my god, or are you like or do you feel perceived in seeing and you're like, oh no.
Speaker 2: I mean it depends, like I just I just don't know when someone is like fawning, which is so kind of them. I just don't know, like, oh, I just don't know if you're flirting with me, and so therefore I'll just thank you and then keep it moving.
Speaker 1: That is what's frustrating, right, Like it's like, cause the deal is like if you were on a dating app, like people they do know who you are, you know what I'm saying, Because it's like so you don't even have the thing of like do they know or do they not know? Or are they interested or are they not? It's like they know who Bowen Yang is, you know what I'm saying. So it's like it so that first interaction is a little bit loaded and on top of like the rest of it at rest anyway, which is weird being on dating apps. Exactly. It's fine, it's it's there's nothing to do about it. Yeah, I don't even know what my question is. I'm just saying, make a joke to Bonying, especially if it's one that's like.
Speaker 2: Well, don't make a joke to me that's about race and about yeah, like don't like because because that's a fucking two for because that like makes me feel like shit, and it would. And now that I'm even bringing this up, it's like, I don't want to like scare people like Joel is gonna feel like shit. You know, let's just cleanse this conversation and just quickly give Joan Chuen her flowers. Oh my god, because I want you to tell me what you love about Joone Chuen.
Speaker 1: What I love about Joan Chen. What I love about Joan Chen? What an amazing human actor on screen? Like yeah, so real, so genuine, so funny, but also very heartbreaking, carried a really tough emotion, wait throughout a lot of work to do in that performance, playing a woman who really every single day does her best. Yeah, until it just becomes too much and without saying too much, Like there's a breaking point in the movie between mother and son, which I just really it's such an important, beautiful relationship, The relationship between the mother and a son, especially when the son is struggling because there's a lack of knowing, but there's a deep understanding and it's just so beautifully done in this movie. And yeah, there's a moment of humor like the in the car, like you never you know what I'm talking about, which is just played so well. And also you know, to be the adults on set working with a child actor and like largely with child's actors, Like it's sort of similar to what I was saying last week about Coleman Domingo working with people, you know, formerly incarcerated men who are in that movie, who are non professional actors. It's like, you have to be really special talent to make an atmosphere for people that are not used to that feel good enough that they can not only perform, but excel, to.
Speaker 2: Make it truly horizontal, to make it like everyone's on the same level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is my compliment to Joan Chen is how incredible that kid's performance was. All of her scene partners benefit from being in a scene with her, And I just think that if we're talking about supporting performances, like I would love to see a performance like this get recognition by Awards Bodies. I would love to see it go all the way because this is the kind of talent that we should be seeing more of. Like, I want to see her lead something, you know, I want to see her do a million different types of roles because even in this you know, archetypical part, there is so much dynamic work being done, bringing so much more to the page. And she's funny and really heartbreaking and she feels like a real mom. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a great piece on her. There's a great profile on her Invanity Fair and I think words buzz is kind of a thing with this for her, with this movie, and this is someone who God, she was telling me she directed this film called Shoeshoe The sent Down Girl. It's about this program that happened during the Cultural Revolution when kids from the city were sent to the countryside to like work on to basically like work in rural areas, provincial areas, to do like hard labor for like a full year. My mom did that, and she talks about it like a trauma. It is like a traumatic moment in her life. It's a really it's a it's a hard to watch film. It's like a very like it's very thirty round card to watch, starting Tracy Morgan, starting Tracy Jordan.
Speaker 1: They shot it in like Tibet, I want to say.
Speaker 2: And she was just telling us stories on the stead of wedding banker, which she was like smuggling film out because she was like if the Chinese government sees this, like they will not let this movie go like be released, and like this is a fucking badass renegade direct, like a true renegade. And and I use that word. I do not use that word lightly. Yeah, Icon Last Emperor Twin Peaks, which is like a big blind spot for us. I wis should be Twin Peaks gays. I think maybe that's like that's like a thing we should embark on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I'm interested in becoming a Twin Peaks gad.
Speaker 2: So all Twin Peaks gays are seem seme with it anyway, it same with it. But John Chen, I think I think there's a renaissance coming she and to say nothing of her like I'm sorry, shallow gay nonsense, true beauty.
Speaker 1: She is like stunning, a stunning beauty.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, and she is just incredible in the wedding banquet and She is equal parts funny devastating.
Speaker 1: She was the funniest person on set. She is.
Speaker 2: That is a funny motherfucker, Joan Chun And you can quote me on that. Right about that. Write that up Entertainment Weekly. Okay, anyway, go see Deity in theaters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There are a million reasons to go see this movie, and we've listed just a few of them, but yeah, you gotta go. I actually ran into Mitra. Mitra was there in the in the theater. I believe she loved it a lot. Love Mitra.
Speaker 2: We're Mitris dand are mit Mitris Dand Sean Wang, we applaud you. Also, yeah, everyone go check out his Oscar nominated short documentary Short nine nine and Why Pole, which is on Disney Plus. And the grandmother in DEDI is his real grandmother who is in the documentary. And it's seventeen minutes, so heartwarming, so beautiful, beautifully shop Anyway, that's it.
Speaker 1: I am an official, huge fan and I wanted to say two things. The reason I was singing Dreaming by Blondie Oh at the top was because I saw the most amazing trailer for or a movie I'm so excited about called Honora which is Sean Baker. I can't speak of another Sean and I love a Sean Baker's movies. I fucking love this movie. I loved Red Rocket like wild, I love Simon Rex. That movie was fucking crazy. And what I want to say is that this trailer fucking nailed it with their song choice because it's like a deconstructed version of Dreaming by Blondie, which is such an incredible song, and we talked about it earlier, but that trailer, like that's one of the best trailers I've seen in a really long time. And this Mikey Madison girl, she might have it all the way. She might have it all the way. I'm excited. I'm excited about this movie.
Speaker 2: I think there's gonna be a groundswell for Mikey. I think she's gonna be the girl.
Speaker 1: She seems to me like one of the new girls. She seems like the Chapelona film. Yes, and you called it. I might have to make that a real culture now. That might be a real coach. On number forty, Mikey Madison is the chap A film. She's about to become one of the girls really fast, really fast. So just watch for that. And the second thing I wanted to say was you mentioned on Disney that there was you know, his short and that brings me to I want to talk about the D twenty three announcements. Oh so your takes Fire and Ash. Let's go first of all, Avatar three, Fire and Ash. It's not called the Seed Bearer, maybe because they thought it was a little bit it conjured up images of breathing too much. But yes, obviously, as you know, I don't I don't know about Frozen three. I guess we'll see. It really was just like March of the Sequels in terms of like what they announced in terms of film, I don't care that much. You know, what I deeply care about is the theme parks. Yes, did you see what they have rolled out? Because you need to tell me. Sixty billion dollars are going into the the Disney theme parks over the next like several years. And this is just a few of the things that they announced. Okay, So Disney California Adventure is getting a ton of shit, Like they are getting a new Avatar world that is going to be based in the way of Water and Fire and Ash, which has yet to come, but there's going to be a state of the art boat ride, which you gotta go on and check out this concept art. I mean, the money is, the budget is so insane. So the California Adventure, I don't know where, but they're getting Avatar. They're also getting a Cocoa boat ride. It will be the first Cocoa with theme park attraction. Inducy. I love that outside of that, Magic Kingdom is getting cars, not radiator springs racers. So just beyond Big Thunder Mountain, they're going to do cars. There's gonna be a car's ride, and then behind that they are doing a Villain's Land. So this is going to like literally at the back of the Magic Kingdom. It's gonna be like their answer to Dark Universe. I guess I knew it was coming because I was like, I know, they're not just gonna let Universal just have you know, Darkie, not when Universal and not when Disney has like all this, like like they're so famous for the villains, like they should do something with the villains. So they finally are. Apparently there's gonna be one like huge e ticket roller coaster and then one ride which may not be as big a deal as that, but that incorporates all of the villains. I'm thinking that Maleficent will factor in big, but that is like the last thing on the agenda, and we'll see if they even get to it. Like Disney has a history, a recent history of announcing a lot of things and then bailing on a lot of it, So we'll see if any of this even happens. But they are saying this is not blue Sky, this is now active development, and this includes too. This is the craziest thing. This might be you and me coded in Hollywood Studios. Toy Story has been such a hit, there's gonna be a podcast Last Culture to Ride.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I would love to see Last Culture Thread Culture rid. It would be a dueling roller coaster. It'd be a dueling launch roller coaster, journey through culture, journey through culture. Oh no, these the culture have all been lost. We have to go get them. Guys. That's so good. And then like you go, no one knows this is part of the podcast. It's behind the scenes. But the ride launches after Bowen yang on Zoom goes three two and then it goes ding do and you zip out. Anyway, what I was gonna say is it's so cunty. There's a Monster's Inkland with a Monster's Ink suspended roller coaster, which is based on you know the scene where they go on the doors and they fly through. That's I've been waiting for a roller coaster based on that for twenty years and they're doing it. They're actually doing it. It feels like fan service. I'm like, this is twenty years too late, but thank god, because this is that's gonna be really good. No, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: But also this just just makes me go, Matt Rogers needs to enter his Kingdom Hearts era because Kingdom Hearts three you go to Monsters, you go to Monsters Inc. And Monstropolis, they say, and they're like, writing the doors is a whole thing. Yes, I know the feeling of writing the doors, not spatially but in video game, which is pretty close.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I want to know more. I will look into it. So basically, okay, So just to return to California Adventure, the Avengers E ticket ride, it's they're finally pulling the trigger on that. I guess like they've been threatening for years because that Avengers Land Avengers Campus in California Adventure feels like it's really missing something because it is. So they're getting a huge e ticket that's going to basically use like the Multiverse of course, and it's going to be like an Avenger's like larger Grand Scheme Marvel ride that will probably use like literally everyone. And then outside of that anim looking to them, they're going to redo the Dinosaurs Land and that's going to be Indiana Jones theme. It's going to be themed to Tropical Americas. So there's gonna be a Mowana attraction finally, and there's it's like an attraction. It's gonna be a Palm Springs attraction. You're gonna go sit at the bar of the cow and get really tan and drop America. You actually aged sixty years in three and a half minutes, and Vicky Gondols is sitting outside at a table. Have we ever said on the podcast at the time. We went to Tropical and Vicki gon Wolson was just there the o g Oz.
Speaker 2: And then we were all Metro was there too, and then we were all Stone and then there was an earthquake.
Speaker 1: There was an earthquake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were at the same restaurant as Vicky gon Wolson and when the earthquake hit in Palm Springs.
Speaker 1: Wow, by the way, there was an earthquake just now. I know again, No, that's driving it was it's it's I never feel them. It's so weird. I don't know why. I just never feel them. And then I look at my my text and my friends are going off like screaming, like doing the thing with all caps exation earthquake. Like imagine just seeing that and you felt nothing.
Speaker 3: I have it.
Speaker 1: I have a theory. You don't. Oh God, I wish I didn't feel sometimes. I think you have shock absorption all in the ass. Uh, you're obsessed with my ass lately. I'm sorry. I have to gasp up my sister. You really think it's looking good. I work, I work on it.
Speaker 2: I think the butt is taking all of the the earthquake. I think you are helping pure Thank God.
Speaker 1: That's why you need. We need to keep me on earth because I need I need to sockers. What is it? Soak up this absorption with I guess which is now as it's it's it's now qualified as dad ass. It's not just MAT's ass anymore. It's no dad ass. It's phrase. I mean to say nothing of your behind, which I've noticed has gotten larger. No, you don't have to We don't have.
Speaker 3: To do this.
Speaker 1: See how come you're allowed to do it with me and I can't do it with you. Well, I feel like you must have felt set up to, you know, compliment my ass. Know what happened was we were going to Jimmy Kimmel Alive and we were wearing those tracksuits and I was walking behind you and I was like, oh my god, your ass and because it was popping because you had told me about the group bridges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was the same time I think I had previously before you pointed out my ass.
Speaker 1: Day went Matt. No, it was after, I don't think so you said something about my ass. Literally, like thirteen years ago, we were in rehearsal for pop Roulette, and I remember you just threw out there. You were like, Matt has the best ass, and I remember being like, oh my god, like because I had never really heard that before. And then years passed and then we were walking to Jimmy Kimmel and you made a comment about my ass and I was just like, all right, am I allowed to compliment.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: I think it's great, and it's very encouraging for me. It means I would like to continue the group bridges and all the work I'm doing at the Great Institution Berries. We love you, o Berries. I'm there every day except one day. I really shouldn't be doing it every single day, but I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Everyone has called me in and said, seventy five hart is structured exercise and eating disorder, and listen, you might not be wrong, but I also I think for now it's just laying the groundwork for some healthier choices and habits. I'm not going to do this for all time.
Speaker 1: So I hear you. I hear you. Listen. Sometimes you have to go a little far and then pull it back like so I don't. I often don't think it's a bad thing, no matter what it is. Like with diet, it's always like you could always err on the side of your probably being too hard on yourself. But I think with any goal setting, it's okay to start in a more extreme, loftier goal and then see where you fall, you know, like, I think that's better.
Speaker 2: It's shooting for the moon, landing amongst the stars, and the diet thing is the thing that I'm the least strict on.
Speaker 1: I'm eating very well as you should. So it's okay. And guess what. Guess where that goes the ass. Yeah, so just think about that a little bit. I wanted to say, we had a wonderful time my launch. It happens live. We met I had met her before, but watching your reaction to britaway Field coming in was so fun. You were you were joyful.
Speaker 2: She's everything, She's everything, our our Jessica Rabbit, She's everything.
Speaker 1: Okay. And if you think we didn't get all the tea about Rony season two, you're wrong. And guess what, Britna is gonna come on the pod. We're gonna figure it out for September.
Speaker 2: I we're excited about it that it's happening, and we're selective with the housewives just saying.
Speaker 1: Very but that was a moment. That was a moment where we were like, I mean, we have to spend more time with this woman. We have to. She's just mesmerizing and it was real. It's real. Okay, so she's coming on. It was very real, like it's giving parv. Actually, yes, oh my god, that's it. I was, does she remind me of It's parv. It's because it's shear, sheer, star quality combined with that flirtatious, flirtatious straight woman flirt with us, which I love.
Speaker 2: It's not like pandering to like, it's not like not at all. First of all, we need to come up with a new I think I think this is there is a cultural conversation happening right now where everyone's like, we need a new term instead of fag hag because it's demeaning to both it's avolved.
Speaker 1: I haven't said fag hag in fifteen years. There's just got to be a different word that is like Judy. Sure, let's say Judy. It's Judy quality. We liked her a lot, we liked her a lot, but it's ParvE. It's totally ParvE. Also, can I say, usually the Teresa people are are like really noxious to me after I'm on watch it happens live, because I don't make any qualms about what I think. It's very soft this time, because I can tell they're defeated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a fucking look I said, I fully said, she has a lobe missing. You sure did, And I'm not hearing a peep from these freaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all set with our opinion. Also, can I say Teresa Judas is a Trump supporter who was married to Joe Judaice, so none of us should be surprised that Louie is like toxic and horrible, Like this woman does not know what it is like to not participate in anoxious, toxic, patriarchal culture. It's a failing of the environment that she came up in, and I came up in a very similar one, so I do have a bird's eye on it, Like she is someone she advances that she expands that environment. Sorry, actually, yeah, she did nothing to curb anything make it better. And now it's like now you can even see in this last season, like Gia is going to move in with her boyfriend right away, and she's like Teresa's like, I just wish she'd live alone because I never lived alone. It's because like she knows that her life could have been different had she maybe stepped out and been you know, her own person for a while. Like maybe now she wouldn't be literally shriveling, losing weight, anxious, like dying because her like a new husband, is dealing with eagle shit left and right. Because probably there's something going on there. And my big thing too, is it's like, why are we so comfortable just calling Louie's X crazy, Like no one wants to wonder about why she's has these problems, Like no one wants to take all these people coming out of the woodwork seriously, like no one thinks no one that's team Teresa thinks that there's not something smoke and fire about the hole Louis thing like, really, but these people are morons? No exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean that is like the classic biggest red flag. It's like, oh, you're you're dating somewhere, you're with someone, and all the ex'es are quote unquote crazy. Me thinks not the red flags couldn't be clear, and you hate to see it. You hate to see it's red flags. It's crimson banners. Sometimes something's bigger than a red flag and it's a crimson banner.
Speaker 1: And to be honest with you, those are even harder. Clock When something is so crazy that it's beyond a red flag, it's a crimson banner, you actually think like, oh, well, this can't this, this must be the way that this needs to be dealt with because it's so huge, you know, what I mean, like, this can't be a red This isn't this this is just like a necessary like thing I'm putting myself through because it's so crazy. I think that's what's happening with Louis. But yeah, it's not like little tiny things like oh that's weird the way they talk to the waiter, or oh that's weird, like, uh, they didn't know this about, you know, someone they're supposed to be close to, you know, Oh that's weird. Like they a little white lie about this thing that I caught them in. That's weird. It's like those are sometimes easier to track, and the big things are like, well, yeah, I mean it's a big thing.
Speaker 2: Well, the big things for this guy are He's literally saying in the finale, I hope Marge's children, his son, her son suffers as much as I have suffered. Don't wish that upon a fucking kid. Don't wish that upon someone who's like of a different generation than It's like, don't don't. Just that's fucking wild. Anyway, I don't want to talk about these people.
Speaker 1: He's the worst person on television and would love to not watch him anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm totally Okay, whatever happens with Jersey, God bless let's give this a Viking funeral, shoot our fiery arrow into the sky. I did that in my mentally with Potomac. I'm like, my life has been a million times better without Giselle Bryant and Nashley Darby and all these other fucking people.
Speaker 1: Meah, Thornton like, I don't miss these people for shit.
Speaker 2: I mean, the fact is, though they will be back, no I know, but it's gonna be in my life. I won't be back as long as they're on the show. I'm sorry, I just won't.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 2: There are bad people in that, in that little environent. We love all those people and Bravoland, but there are people that are concentric circles around that that I'm like, oh, I am not getting anywhere near.
Speaker 1: Y'all say no more, because I learned that the hard way. All right, So let's get into I don't think so honey, before we actually do that with our life. And I have something to say. Okay, this is Matt Rogers. I don't think so many as time starts yet, I don't think so honey, that Barack Obama actually listens to the song three sixty five by Charlie XCX, which he would suggest when he put out his Barack Obama summer playlist. Barack Obama listened to me maybe von Dutch, maybe three sixty. But I do not think that you, Barack Obama. Former President Barack Obama listened to three sixty five, and I think you need to just pull it back a little bit. You really you went too hard, like the intern jumped out. I understand, we're having a brat summer. We're all very excited about Kamala. You showed your ass there. Yeah, because I know that you're not listening to that song, which is mostly about doing keys and bumps. I just don't buy it for you, Barack, and I wouldn't want to. I'll tell you who I buy on your list. Lucinda Williams. That's who I that's giving me Barack her five seconds. I see that I stand as well. Charlie xx's three sixty five, maybe vondutche three six five. I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute anything Barack and ag Cook the dare doesn't really doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'm not seeing it. And that's a very highly curated anticipated list like whenever his shit comes out. That's like, this is my favorite movies of the year. They always make the rounds and I'm like, I've always bought it and been like, oh cool until I was not three six five by Charlie x X and I was like, no, someone on your team said this should be on there. You don't like this song. Going back to helanis not authentic. I mean, he could never be Alanis. And I say this as a Barack fan.
Speaker 2: Read the Status, Status and Culture Book. There's a whole thing like it's like it's signaling and the authenticity plays into it, and it's like when you spot the inauthentic thing like that, it's it's game over, Like we might be seeing that.
Speaker 1: I don't know who can mean. I'm telling you. I'm telling you. If it was done dutch by, I'd be like, okay, if it was grow so confusing, I would be like yes, three six five, I don't know. And if someone I welcome.
Speaker 2: Proof, I think readers Katie's public is finalists way and yeah we in do we think Barack Obama, the forty fourth President of the United States, has like me, listened in a ketamine stupor to three six five and understood what's going on there.
Speaker 1: I guess that's another thing too, is it's like it's so it would suggest he understands that culture in a way where I'm like, maybe, how do you Yeah, even if you do, I don't want to hear about it, you know what I'm saying. It's like I don't need to know that Barack. Is that I'm saying. It's like, if that's what he thinks, cool? Is it rubbed me? I was like, I just don't.
Speaker 2: It's just sometimes it's I felt for a couple of years it's been giving Steve Desmy like me and how do you do fellow kids?
Speaker 1: How do you do fellow kids? Anyways, this is Bowen Yang's I don't think so, honey. Are you ready to go?
Speaker 2: I'm ready to go, and Bowen Yang's time starts now. I don't think so, honey. I know there is a lego version of Fanny in the Wicked Lego collection that it's coming out. I listen, I'm buying it. I'm gonna buy it for my nieces and my nephew. But I know there was a Fanny lego and it's not being sold, and I'm a little hurt. And listen, I'm an ancillary character, but I think I look, they're using me in some of the trailers. I'm in the Fierro trailer, every trailer that I improvised, and I kind of think Fanny's gonna is gonna slay and the people are gonna want a Fanny lego.
Speaker 1: Trust their to believe.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna I'm gonna advocate for myself and gas myself up. Fanny is a fucking legend. I'm so proud of I'm so proud of what we do with Fanny. I'm laughing because it's just it's funny to say. But I would love to see the Fanny lego. Look, they did a whole lego Fanny trailer, right, I'm sorry, they did a whole Lego trailer to like the long extended trailer of Wicked and Fanny has there's a Fanny intentionon.
Speaker 1: I know there's a Fanny lego. I would love to see the Fanny lego sold in stores. And that's one minute. And let me just agree roundly that we need to see a lego Boone Yang as Fanny, please, at least limited edition, you know what I mean. At least for a short time only you know what I'm saying, and like, at least produce enough so that people can get them as a collector's thing. Who doesn't want a little lego? Bowen, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Funny collector's item me with that cunty little hair and glasses like, come on, it's good hair. This is not masturbatory. It's just like, I think that would be a fun lego.
Speaker 1: I think it will be great. Come on, I think it will be great. By the way, that was a good trailer, and I had been waiting for more. Johnny the character triggers me. Serrao triggers you. Wait, yeah, I don't like that kind of guy. I don't know. No, no, no, he's I read for please, I did read for that part. You did read, but you don't like don't like that guy. Don't like that guy fiero. He's up to he gets his come up and he sure straw turns the straw like all narcissist should No, I'm sure, I'm sure it'll be wonderful. Uh looks good. That's good. That should be. You know the drink your milk shirt? I have the drink your milk shirt. Me too, Thank you, Thank you. Josh should wear it when john comes on the Johnny of course, when Jonathan comes on the podcast, we should wear it.
Speaker 2: We definitely shouldn't anyone who is out there playing Final Fantasy fourteen britis Kase's help us finalists who play Final Fantasy fourteen. I do think there should be a subgroup of gamers. I say, no, You're all are out there because we're connecting. So Jonathan Bailey does a voice in Final Fantasy fourteen. Oh fun as Grahatia, the Prime cat Boy the Crystal exarc, and he's so good in it, and I literally like massive, wonderful actor. But like the dialogue in that game is like Shakespearean, It's beautiful. But one day after we react, I was like Jonathan, Johnny as I call him, I said, I have to commend you beg and I was like, I have to implore you because they every two years they come out with expansions and it's like more and more story and it's like it's like a TV show basically, And I'm like, Johnny, you have to keep voicing Grahatia for as long as you are working, for as long as they ask you, because it is some of your best work. Anyway, what did he say? He said, all right, don't really know what it is. I just but I read the dialogue and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: But I think.
Speaker 2: We will ask when Jonathan Bailey comes on Last Coach, there will be a dedicated section about Final Fantasy fourteen and all the cat Boy lovers will be very happy.
Speaker 1: And he is coming on. We're gonna have many people from the cast of Wicked, if you can believe, we have vested interest in that movie's success, and we will make all the help exceeds. We will make sure it makes back every dollar of the budget. We are going to make sure that Wicked makes it over the hill. Trust it and believe. And it starts with Johnny Bailey on the podcast and more to come and more to come if you can kind of guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been another episode of Lost Culture's Tests and a little teaser for Iconic four hundred, which I think we should get to work on, which is not to say, oh, I'm just kidding. The list is already locked. We know the entire list already, and we will be revealing that in the coming weeks, won't we for sure?
Speaker 1: And that's something we can do remotely, so, but we're going to be together actually shortly. Oh we just talked about how we're not going to be together, but we are going to be together for like two weeks. Did you know that. Let's figure something out because you're coming to La, then we're going to Fire Island, and then I'm going to be in New York. So we're together a lot bit actually working hard to bring you guys content. In fact, we're working very hard. This is a very fruitful time and we are taking advantage of it trying to write some wrongs. Oh well, we end every episode of the song No One mourns the weeked.
Speaker 3: Wacked.
Speaker 1: We look for that one on November twenty seventh, twenty second, twenty second. Oh they changed it. They changed it. They moved Ariana I think said twenty seventh on Hot Ones. No, she said, twenty second, twenty second.
Speaker 2: Really hold on, let's say no, no, hold on November twenty second, because they moved it up so that it's like Wiki eight.
Speaker 1: And now it's clicked. No, is it wicked? Eier? It needs to be clicked.
Speaker 2: Okay, click it, click it, Jimmy glicked Bye bye last Culture recas Is Production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players in iHeartRadio Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yang. Executive produced by Ada Hasnier and Hans Soni, Produced by Becker Ramos, edited and mixed by Doug Damimnikuela Board and our music is by Henry Komerski