Speaker 1: Welcome into Texans All Access dpcdo with you once again along with Mark Vandermuir and Drew Doherty.
Speaker 2: Just wrapped up Texans Huddle.
Speaker 1: I know you guys walked in as Travis Johnson and Indie Kalu we're leaving.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a fun show, you guys.
Speaker 3: Well, they could have stayed and done Texans All Access tex that show. He had the entire night shift on Sports Radio six ' ten and never stop because that's how they are.
Speaker 2: They could have just taken us up to game week.
Speaker 1: I mean they had stories for days and then we finished, and then as they're leaving, they were just more and more stories. So unfortunately, Travis Johnson not gonna be on every week. Maybe we'll bring him back another week, but we'll have a player every single week.
Speaker 3: Listen, every time I hear him, I think maybe he needs to be on every week, right, And he used to be on Mondays and twenty thirteen Monday nights. He did that six to seven hour with me all the time during a very difficult season. I'll always be grateful for Travis Johnson for that. He did an amazing job and it was a tough season and he was awesome to work with all year long.
Speaker 1: Well now we get into Texans All Access, although I gotta say only thirteen season you did that with Travis and then on Tuesdays we had the Player Show from Texans Grill with Antonio Smith, my all time favorite and I think he's my all time favorite because it was such a tough season.
Speaker 2: He's we laughed so hard.
Speaker 4: He is a gem. What a gem? I mean total jem people. There's a lot of folks.
Speaker 5: In this building right now who have no idea who he is, noa the turnover, and it's been a decade now.
Speaker 3: Well a lot of those guys and you know, they don't know what they don't know. A lot of people in our media department, digital media, social media when they see the old stuff like on the Nose or the Ninja Assassin or whatever, they don't know and they're thinking, wow, you guys had all that we did and there was a lot of success on the field and hoping to get it back to that level. I think the personalities in place right now are really cool with this version of the Houston Texans, and they will flourish, they will develop, but you know, it's a process going to develop on the field, off the field, all of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think ten years from now will be talking about some of the guys on this team now on the personalities that we have. Damian Pierce was a season premiere, which was the big fundraiser for the Houston Texans Foundation.
Speaker 2: We did it here on the stadium floor. Mark was the MC.
Speaker 1: I was doing some stuff on the red carpet, and Damian Pierce was the player reporter. I think we'll have a recap video coming up very soon. If not, it's definitely gonna be on Texans three sixty Saturday night, eleven PM on ABC thirteen. I've clearly worked with Mark long enough to know how to pub my show, promote my shows. But Damian Pierce is on the red carpet and he was interviewing all the guys and asking them about their fashion and everything.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 4: He's, you know, just a natural. He's just such a micah.
Speaker 1: Although I did say, you don't see me lining up in the backfield trying to take your job, like here you are with a microphone trying to take mine.
Speaker 2: But he was fantastic. He's always so much fun.
Speaker 3: SOP DP and DP DPTV.
Speaker 1: We get dent Tel Perryman into because they'll do it. We're a lot of dps now and everyone's a talker. So all right, so you guys are not here for all of huddle, But we were talking about the Ravens game, obviously the big game coming up this week, So let's just start there with Texans all access the big headlines for the week.
Speaker 2: Where should we start.
Speaker 3: I think the fact that they opened the season it's such a difficult place. That's what pops out to me. It's not just the opener, it's not just CJ. Stroud and numerous Texans making their debut, young and a little bit more seasoned, but it's where you're going. It's playing Lamar Jackson, the former MVP in his house. All that the Ravens have accomplished, I think in some ways, I don't want to call them overrated, but their accomplishments over the last decade. Look, they've won one playoff game since twenty fourteen. But in the regular season they are dynamite. They are really tough to deal with at their place, and they're going to be a tough team to beat for everybody, and especially for this young team.
Speaker 5: Now you bring up the last decade. Texans have never won there in their history. So we're going back twenty some years. They've never won in Baltimore. You've only beaten that franchise twice. That was here in twelve and then again fourteen. But there was a guy, two guys really here in fourteen that are here again in John Weeks in case Keenum, Case Keenum did not throw a touchdown pass in that game. You got a touchdown pass from Arian Foster to CJ. Fedorowitz, but it was that and a bunch of Randy bullockfield goals. You got a mighty, mighty task in front. And I know you're gonna get into this. We're gonna get into this a little later. But it's a matchup of unknowns on both sides because you don't know much about this new offense that's getting rave reviews and rave question marks with the Ravens. But then again, they don't know really what film to study defensively of the Texans, And it's to a lesser degree certainly, but yeah, there's a lot of it's a matchup of unknowns, and that's certainly the case in Week one, no matter what. But it's even more amplified because of the changes that they've both made franchise wide that.
Speaker 1: Playing up in that stadium in Baltimore. I was listening to Nick Cassario this morning on with Sean Pennergast and Seth Payne and Drew and I. We used to love going into these press boxes and doing our own little critique of the location.
Speaker 5: And the story four hours before the game because there's nobody there except for a few attendants and we walk in and we just basically it's like an HGTV show. Yes, Oh, I like the spaciousness of this one.
Speaker 2: Chairs are a little low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Drew and I would do that, and I love I love the location that press box because it's.
Speaker 2: Like fifty yard line. You're not that high up.
Speaker 1: You're in the lower level. Like they could sell that for a premium if those were seats. But Nick Casara was talking about it this morning and how he from the coaches vantage point, how that those seats you're really low to the ground and all the fans can turn around and mock you during the game. We talked about taking a beating a few times, as you know, when he was with the Patriots and now not having super fun memories and how the fans would sort of turn around and mock them while they were in the press.
Speaker 3: They know they're there too, the New England. It happens with the broadcast both, and you know they look back at us and like, you don't have Tom Riady on your team. He's the best quarterback ever and you're hearing it from those fans all game long. And the Ravens the broadcast booth, I guess it's the same level because it feels low as I recall it at BALTI feel like.
Speaker 2: It's probably a few doors down, but in the same level.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 3: It's a nice booth. I mean, I got to say, it's a huge boot. They take good care of us. But you're right, never won there. That's tough.
Speaker 5: Phenomenal food in that press box. Phenomenal food, crabcake, crabcakes.
Speaker 2: I was like, it was something delicious, like one of.
Speaker 3: Those Ross Tucker reviews of the press box food.
Speaker 1: We could Drew and I could totally do a blog because we literally critique everything. But if if you do talk to Nick, you have to tell him that I spoke with the Baltimore Ravens team reporter.
Speaker 2: They're moving the press box the next year.
Speaker 3: Not Now, what are they going to do? They're it's going to be.
Speaker 1: All like Tampa Bay. Do you remember in Tampa Bay in the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's the bananas Foster speaking of press box food.
Speaker 2: That's a huge spread.
Speaker 3: Normal. See that just stinks because you need to tell Nick. I'm gonna get on my soapbox now. But all right, I know the radio announcer for the Ravens whose name is unfortunately Jerry Sandusky Jerry with a G, and he'll be on later this week with us. But he is a radio activist, so he's going to be complaining. I was going to use another word about them moving the broadcast boots and the press box radio.
Speaker 4: Look, why when you move.
Speaker 3: TV, why don't you move TV, mister NFL team person, Well, the TV people need to be there. I'm like, well, don't the radio people need to see it too? No, we don't need to see it. We can be in the corner because it's just radio. No, we need to actually see it too. How about that? I would say that the writers need to see it less than the broadcast people, because we are actually describing the action as it occurs. But don't get me started.
Speaker 2: Do you still need your binoculars?
Speaker 3: I always need my binoculars. I always use them no matter what the situation is because I feel like I want to get right in there. There's very few spots, you know. One of them, though, I went to a game at Aggie Land. We can talk about this later. I went to my first Aggie game in years, and it was really cool to be there, and I thought I had really good seats Aggie Land. Everybody's right on top of the field.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm still in an upper deck in a club level on the shady side, thank goodness. But I felt like I could still see it, like I could actually call that game without binoculars. But an answer to your question, I always use binoculars.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well next year you're definitely gonna have to use binoculars.
Speaker 5: Because one of my favorite press box experiences all time with a fan was in the playoff game at Baltimore. Didn't end up great, but right before the playoff game started, one of my friends who I was a sports anchor at the Fox affiliate in Lubbock. This guy was a sports anchor at the ABC affiliate in Lubbock and he has since gone on to CNN. His name is Andy Schulz. He does a sports at CNN and but he's from Houston, massive Houston Texans fan. He was a Rockets ball boy back in the day, but pregame, he knows being in the media, knows where the press box is. He has on a jacket and there was a cold day in one of those stocking caps and he he saw me in the press box before I saw him. And he gets right up against the glass, bangs on the glass, opens.
Speaker 4: Up his jerty's jacket. He's got a battle red.
Speaker 5: Andre Johnson jersey on and he's like yelling, going and it's like you can't hear anything. You'd share the ding tink on the glass and he's probably going at like four thousand decibels, but it's just like sound perfect and he's going bananas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's fun.
Speaker 3: Do you guys like being reporters when they don't open the windows? They don't know open the windows here of the press box either right, you can't or they don't. I think they can, but they don't.
Speaker 2: They can't. But now they're TVs, they're TV's installed by the way the windows, so I think you can't. I don't think. I think since they've opened him last.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't mind it being open because it's kind nice. When the Saints in the Saints game the other day, you know, there's some fun plays and I could go.
Speaker 2: Whoa, but it didn't know, nobody would hear you if.
Speaker 4: The windows have been closed.
Speaker 3: Right for fans who don't know, most press box windows are closed, and you're not supposed to cheer in the press box.
Speaker 4: And I wasn't cheering, but right, but if.
Speaker 3: The Texans make a big play, you're not supposed to say yes, no way, right, even.
Speaker 4: The nicest but.
Speaker 1: That press box though, I could have all I could say, talk to you. We'd be right next to each other, and I can't hear you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets really loud. Yeah, when the windows are open, you can't even hear yourself.
Speaker 5: In the regular it was okay that they didn't have it was regular season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't hear it.
Speaker 2: We played Week.
Speaker 1: One there right after and yeah, and Kenny stills the game speaking of Laramie Tunsil. One of the headlines, obviously the old line for the Texas Sunday's game. What's going to happen? I guess we shall find out. But Titus Howard day to day, according to the head coach Tamiko Ryan's yesterday, he was out at practice, not really sure what his status is going to be for Sunday's game.
Speaker 2: But if he comes back, where would he play?
Speaker 4: When he right?
Speaker 2: But what do you play guard? Where would he? Where would he go?
Speaker 3: This is important to to regulate and calibrate. Really, calibrate is a better word. The Demico Ryan's injury translator. Right, Oh, we don't know his terminology yet, you don't we knew the koobiak one. He's got a foot, he's got an ankle, he's he's okay. Well, Bill O'Brien, for instance, he's gonna miss some time. If that's missed sometime comes out that that's a that's a long it's weeks, right, miss sometime. But O'Brien saying it's not life threatening might be a week or less possible if he says it's not life threatening, that's what he would say. For Demiico to say, day to day, I'm curious. I'm gonna see how Titus ends up, and if Titus plays, I'm gonna know what day to day means. Day to day now we're all day to day, right, so it could have a lot of latitude there, but I'm monitoring and I will have updates weekly on the Demico Ryan's injury translator.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we might see him in week one, just because in camp a lot of times Mik o'ryans would say he's making progress, he's headed in the right direction. Yeah, So I feel like, but unless it's regular season now and now it's a whole new translator and we don't want to give out.
Speaker 3: Anything, I think it could be.
Speaker 5: I just thought it was a big deal a couple of weeks ago when Titus Howard had pads on and was out there of practice, because that was a bit of a surprise to some folks seeing that. So I think weeks ago seeing that kind of bodes well for him playing. And then just to add on to y'allost Bill O'Brien aspect of things, my favorite part of Bill O'Brien and injuries was when a reporter would say X player said that my player is actually doing pretty well, And a lot of times that X player was either Jadeveon Clowney or DJ Swerringer, which you knew it like on the inside was immolating, Yeah, just furious, and he would respond with something like, oh well, doctor Swerringer said that I loved it when he called a player doctor that that meant clown you just you, You've you've got a gold plated doghouse that you're in with h O'Brien and.
Speaker 1: That well, speaking of dog plated gold houses or gold plated doghouses, a dog.
Speaker 3: Plated gold well, it could be the same thing.
Speaker 1: And doctor Clowney will be facing him or the textans I.
Speaker 3: Can't believe we're going to see doctor Clowney.
Speaker 2: Doctor Clowney.
Speaker 3: I don't like this at all.
Speaker 5: Still a Houstonian lives in the city, but he's uh playing for the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I am looking forward to that injury report on Wednesday as much as I've looked forward to a lot of things in my life. I really want to see who's got what what they're listed as. And I know a lot of it's questionable and you're not going to know anyway, but both teams. I want to see this because I've got a feeling the Ravens have some things up their sleeve, meaning secrets up their sleeve and not good ones. They're they're kind of holding things back from the media, and that injury report has to be It's not always a direct revelation of things, but it does give you some ideas. By the way, if you google doctor Clowney, you get a lot of doctor Clowney's in the country. There are doctor Clowns and not Jadevion.
Speaker 2: The picture of Jadevion with scraps.
Speaker 1: Now, well, you know, we started off talking about the O line, but I think for speaking of your injury report, I think it'll be interesting to see the Ravens their cornerback situation. Yeah, no, Moreland Humphrey, you had a foot injury, is gonna be out for a few games. But they've just had a lot of injuries there, So I mean, I don't know. Does that bode well for the Texans wide receivers.
Speaker 2: Can we read into that.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have Lamar Jackson retire than any of that.
Speaker 2: I don't care about the cars.
Speaker 3: I'll take whatever I can get as far as Ravens injuries here to make life a little bit easier for this Houston offense. Because the Texans offensive line is the thing that we have to be concerned about here. Let's say Titus can go. If Titus can go, you have shack Titus Laramie good. Okay, And we don't know how they're going to put together center and guard apart from those three. But maybe Patterson, who played a bunch against the Saints, maybe they do something else. Maybe they bring up Deeter, May they bring up Peter to play guard. I don't know how they're gonna hand.
Speaker 4: Maybe Josh Jones gets slid in there line.
Speaker 3: I would think he's got a shot to do it. He's capable of it. And they have to put their best five on the field. No matter how they set it up. You can't afford to get well. Titus has to play tackle because he's a tackle. If you think Josh Jones is going to be better at tackle than guard, but Titus can handle guard, you might have to make that move right here if Titus is available. I'm just assuming that for this conversation. I was joking last week you could do a contest guess the Texans offensive line starters and maybe get insurance on that deal and give away a nice prize because it's gonna be tough for a lot of people to guess what the Texans offensive line is going to be come Sunday at noon.
Speaker 1: And I think there's a really good chance that you're gonna have some starters that have not suited up in a Texans uniform yet through preseason. Oh yeah, at all, right, Like Josh Jones, obviously he was at it right, traded for here in camp.
Speaker 2: Did not did he play? He has not played.
Speaker 3: No, Titus hasn't played, Josh Jones. What about Titus has he Did he play against New England?
Speaker 4: No? Out?
Speaker 5: Remember, Okay, Titus was gone within that first week of training camp.
Speaker 4: It was early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking about guys that have not been with the Texans.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, new players, new faces. We saw Dieter against the New Orleans Saints, which is that was kind of the beginning of the end for Kenyon Green when you saw him come in with the ones and then Kenyon backing him up, and then obviously Kenyon we know he's now done for the year.
Speaker 3: I mean, if Kenyan had played well in that game and didn't aggravate something his shoulder because he grabbed his shoulder clearly after that.
Speaker 2: He was also playing with the twos, which was a bit worse I mean, that.
Speaker 3: Was definitely a sign of things perhaps, but man, I would welcome him playing well in that game and just rising back up through the depth chart. He's got the ability to do it. But he's on IR now after the season, and you want him to get healed up and ready as possible for twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four and then at the center position.
Speaker 1: So j scrugs ir, Yeah, obviously, Scott question and Mary, ir, what happens there?
Speaker 2: Do you bring up Jimmy Morrissey, I think the squad.
Speaker 3: Dieter Morrissey, Patterson. You could go, I think Patterson's the likeliest, but you could also say Kendrick Well, I don't know. He played a bunch against the Saints, and maybe that's just the way they go. Maybe they don't like it. Maybe they go Kendrick Green who did it in Pittsburgh. But he's only been here for a couple of weeks. So how do you handle that? This is this is a mystery. That's why I say you could run a contest here. Who's going to start on the offensive line. I can give you Laramie and Shack for sure, and Titus I'm hoping. But after the other two spots, there's a lot of mystery and if it, if Titus is there, then it's just just those two, just forty percent of your own line. But I think that they can work this out. You do have prep, you have practice, You can get ready for it. You get ready for the noise as best you can. C. J. Stroud, Captain Stroud has to be ready for anything against the.
Speaker 4: Regle of your memories.
Speaker 5: How do you feel going into week one with this offensive line and the question marks versus how you felt going into week one one twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen with those offensive lines. Keep in mind, in twenty seventeen, Dwayne Brown was holding out, Yeah, and you had the rest of that crew, and then in twenty eighteen Dwayne was gone.
Speaker 3: In twenty seventeen, I underestimated Jacksonville. I thought, oh, it's Jacksonville. You should be okay. On opening day, you're starting Tom Savage, you should be all right. Twenty eighteen set the stage for me O line wise.
Speaker 4: In twenty eighteen when like Julian Davenport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you didn't have Laramie yet. The next year you didn't have Dwayne anymore obviously, So yeah, twenty eighteen and I was thinking of the twenty eighteen opener the other day for this reason. Remember the first was it the first snap where they fumbled? Were the first? I think it was at New England and you fumble and you give Tom Brady the ball at the twenty basically ouch. You know, you have to avoid colossal mistakes early in the at any time in this game. But if you can get the operations smooth, get it to Pierce, let's Stroud, make some easy ish easy for me to say, throws Schultz, Pierce, you know, Niko over the middle, get a little bit of that going, play some good d Look that's the recipe here, and you got to find a way to generate takeaways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, CJ.
Speaker 1: Stratt, We were talking about this on the Players show Who They Who?
Speaker 2: Did? Travis and Indie.
Speaker 1: Think we're gonna be the sort of the weapons to stand up where they show one.
Speaker 2: So Travis is really excited about Tank Dell has gotta.
Speaker 4: Be, Yeah, gotta be.
Speaker 1: They were asking me and then and and Indy wanted to know, aside from from Tank, who else I was excited about because and we both sort of talked about Dalton Schultz for that reason.
Speaker 2: He's sort of the veteran guy.
Speaker 1: I think Stroud even talked about how he's someone that he's been able to really lean on and build some chemistry.
Speaker 2: I think they worked out in the off season together out in l A. Noah Brown is interesting, is.
Speaker 1: Interesting as an option because we saw him make some catches, and yeah, you think of Nico and and and Damian Pierce. I mean, are we gonna are we gonna run the ball a little bit more with Damien Because you say.
Speaker 5: We're listening off all these pass catchers, I think you gotta be excited about just run game as al. You saw what Pierce was able to do last year, and you presume that this offensive system is better on the whole, and it's going to be better running the ball well, that bodes really well for a guy who was kind of having to make a lot of his yards by himself last year.
Speaker 4: That's exciting.
Speaker 5: And then you mix in Singletary, maybe even you sprinkle in a little bit of Mike Boone, who man, he looked good in the preseason. He could and he's done some nice things in his career with Denver catches the ball, well runs the ball. I mean, I think you got a factor in the run game as a big X factor, as a big thing that you want to look for, because, hey, you're going to live and die without with this run game. If this run game isn't going, you're in trouble. And I think it's not going to be. I think it's going to be much much better than what we've seen around here in a long time.
Speaker 3: You still need some balance, obviously, and I know you're not saying you don't, because if I'm Baltimore, I'm thinking, just overwhelm the line of scrimmage, right, make Stroud beat you. He's a rookie, he's in a hostile environment. They're going to try to make Stroud eat them some way, somehow. They're going to load up against Pierce. Pierces the You know, Laramie is probably the best offensive player. Pierce is right there with him as far as the threat goes. Obviously, different position and different impact, but Pierce can have a lot of impact if he's able to get some yak here, get a little crack of daylight, get him going. All right, there's your recipe. You're starting to move the ball a little bit on the ground. Pierce Straut makes a good thrower. Two maybe a big play to tank or two or more and then you're off and running. You know, you got to play clean though the times the Texans have lost up there, I mean, I think about the playoff game with the four turnovers. I think about earlier that season with just a sloppy game. And didn't the Ninja we were just talking about him earlier. Didn't you have like I think, two fifteen yard penalties in that twenty eleven regular season game up.
Speaker 5: There against the goal line, like the Texans were backed up against their own goal line. Yeah, Vonte Leach was giving the ball I think on consecutive plays because it was his first game against his old team and the text and they stonewalled. They didn't the didn't let Leach in. But Antonio Smith had a couple of those fifteen yard personal fouls.
Speaker 3: Twenty thirteen pick sixth Matt shab also. Didn't they have a return for a touchdown or something in that game? I don't know, Maybe I'm misremembering that. Maybe I remember pick six. It was just a sloppy, not a good game, let's just put it.
Speaker 4: Not a blowout, but not you were never close either.
Speaker 3: I was talking about it. In fact, we're going to have it on matchup tonight with Johnny five. Even I remember that disastrous season, You're right in it. Kyle Bowler hits three passes in a row to get him in a field goal range and they win the game like that. And they weren't having a good year either at the time. So it's been a house of horrors to an extent for the Houston Texans, and as you mentioned, Drew never having one up there. But look, you rip off the band aid and then get ready for a Week two no matter what happens, win or lose.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of nice to face Baltimore in Week one.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lamar Jackson has not played all preseason, missed the end of last year with injury. Then you get him, you've got a bunch of new weapons. While good, they've not played any of their starters in the preseason. Mark Andrews has been sort of banged up. I think he returned back to practice today or this week. But they don't really have that chemistry. You know they're gonna be a good team, you know they're gonna have a firepower offense, but maybe you.
Speaker 2: Get them early before they've really started.
Speaker 1: Clicking, and you just hope that with a heavy dose of Damian Pierce on the ground, you can control the time of position, so you don't give the ball to Lamar Jackson, and you protect, you protect the ball, don't turn it over as well. So I mean, I think that if you're gonna play them, I'd rather play them now than say December. Not that you know playing them is going to be easy by any stretch of the means, but that both Travis and Dy had a lot to say about this Texans defense going up against Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: So let's take a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, let's talk about this Texans defense, Undardmiko Ryans. We got more previewing the Baltimore Ravens, and then of course later on we're gonna go around the NFL.
Speaker 2: That's all coming up on Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Texans All Access. Texans up at ball to more. Demiko Ryans makes his debut as head coach.
Speaker 4: CJ.
Speaker 1: Strad Will Anderson all playing their first NFL games. And you know, we were talking with the guys earlier, Travis and Indy, they're both super excited about this D line going against Lamar Jackson. They love this attack, pin your ears back style of defense. They feel like there can be a lot of pressure on Lamar Jackson, not giving him a lot of time, and they can sort of contain him so that he's not able to scramble or make plays and you'll have to.
Speaker 2: Get the ball out quick.
Speaker 1: But they really like this style of defense, and they feel like if you can get a guy like Will Anderson on Lamar that that could be really effective in containing him.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, I wanted to get your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think it's part of the mix. You need a lot of guys, right, yeah, I mean, well, love Anderson just devour Lamar Jackson time and time again. I think Grenard's gonna have to get in the mix. I think you're gonna have to send extra people. You're gonna have to send Petrie into the backfield occasionally trip up that running game with Dobbins and Edwards and all that gang. Because these guys, I believe they'll look at the Texans and say, let's run the ball. Let's try to run the ball. Look at them last year. I know they have different players, but every team wants to do it. It makes life easy, makes life easier on Lamar Jackson as well. We don't want to see Lamar Jackson run it that much if we don't have to, because that's risky. Right, He's gotten hurt a bunch, so let's try to run the ball and soften them up for the pass plays that it'll hit to Mark Andrews and OBJ and all of that other stuff. It's going to be really interesting to see what kind of Lamar Jackson you get. Is there any rust at all? He hasn't played in the preseason. Obviously, he's practiced, got hurt down the stretch last year year before as well. This is a real big moment for him. A lot of eyes on him to see how he responds signing the big contract. Here he is in front of the home fans.
Speaker 5: I can't wait. I'm keeping my eyes on Willie Anderson Junior. And when I say keeping my eyes on that's usually it's like a throwaway line. It's just like, yeah, that guy's good. Literally starting her out mid to December of twenty eleven. JJ Watt was a guy when the Texans were on defense, you would just sort of look at what he was doing, and he was always whipping, you know, his man in front of him, and that was the case for the next seven eight years while he was here.
Speaker 4: In the same fashion.
Speaker 5: It's been fun in the preseason when Willy Anderson has played to keep your eyes on what he does, and to keep your eyes on him in practice because he's it's like a hand grenade goes off. I mean, just all sorts of havoc is reeked when he's out there. You said it perfectly, Mark. After one practice there was a practice where Anderson kind of got a day's rest and he wasn't out there. Well, the Texans offense looked really really good that day, looked really really improved that day because he wasn't in the backfield, Cavin in the offensive line all practice long. So when I say I'm going to keep my eyes on him, I'm literally going to lockdown and I'm making binocular motions.
Speaker 4: With my hands right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah three, I'm literally gonna watch what he does against the guy or guys who are blocking him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, Tamiko, Ryan's the challenge of him coaching this defense along with Matt Burke against Lamar Jackson. Whatever they have planned, it's got to be something special, right, But maybe they just play their system. I don't know. They just have to be ready for it because he is what I call a one man draw play when you or maybe one man play action is a better way to put it, Lamar Jackson. The linebackers have to respect the run, so when he goes back to pass, it's are you gonna run it or not? And then you know, before you know it, Andrews is beating you and he has an easy layup kind of passed to Andrews. The year that Texans got blown out up there with Deshaun Watson twenty nineteen, it was a thirty four point loss. I mean, Jackson threw four touchdown passes. He ran it for seventy something as well. It was a nightmare to deal with. And that was a pretty good Texans team that eventually would have a lead in a divisional playoff game. But we don't have to get into that right now. Yeah, sorry, too soon?
Speaker 1: Hey that the Ravens season didn't end all that great either of that year. No, it didn't the last time they had this level of excitement, I think because they lost in.
Speaker 2: The wildcard round.
Speaker 1: They were going to host, they were rolling.
Speaker 2: The top seed, they were in a top seed they lose to the time.
Speaker 3: They lost it to the divisional round because they had to buy and then the Titans were coming off the win over New England, went into Baltimore and won. There was a hell of a post.
Speaker 5: Ravens type going forward on fourth down in that game. I mean, I think they had like four failed fourth down conversions or more.
Speaker 3: Maybe they couldn't believe it. They couldn't believe it. So the Tennessee d was playing really well, but that offensive formula of Derrick Henry and Tannehill play action was working. Wonders can you get that going with Pierce? Can you find a way to hold out of the ball finish drives? Look, I'd rather have sevens and threes every day of the week, but look, connect on a field goal or two. Just keep going, keep the ball away from him if you possibly can. Can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So since then, the Ravens had have one in the wild card against the Titans in twenty twenty, and then they lost the Bills, and then last year they lost to the Bengals. So not a lot of success since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: So the only playoff win they have since twenty fourteen is that victory over the Titans in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: In twenty fourteen, they also beat the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was the last time they won a playoff game until twenty twenty. So since twenty fourteen, the Texans have won how many playoff games? One? Two or two? That's it. But the Ravens have only won once. And it's a weird thing. That's why. Look, I'm never gonna call them overrated back, but postseason success has failed. It just hasn't worked out for them. You know, Lamar's rookie year was what it was. They were struggling with Flacco. They put in Lamar in twenty eighteen, they make the playoffs, they lose to the Chargers at home. They're not perfect, right, and being a new mix with the new offensive coordinator and Jackson coming back, maybe you can take advantage of the element of surprise and spring something on them that they're not expecting. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think also o'dill Beckham Junior. I'm very curious to see what he looks like. He hasn't played since he tore his knee up in that Super Bowl when he was with the Rams.
Speaker 2: Yea, like everyone thought he wasn't even going to come back.
Speaker 5: The rookies a Flowers too. I mean they're very very high on that guy, very high they'll be at Those two will be a nice test for Derrick Stingly and Stephen Nelson. You know how much does each of those corners get the other guys switched around a bunch? Yeah, that's that's a fascinating matchup as well.
Speaker 2: And and the safeties as well, just keeping their eye on the.
Speaker 1: Well captains too, how about that Jimmy Warred and Jalen Treat That is cool.
Speaker 3: That is cool. It's cool that Stroud gets elected captain. Now Will Anderson's not a captain, but someday he will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you know, like, okay on the captains. Since the captains came out yesterday, I was thinking about this. In the past few years, it's always felt like whoever the captains are will of course season with.
Speaker 2: The captains are the leaders of your team.
Speaker 1: But this year I felt like there were so many other players that actually could.
Speaker 4: Have been It's a really good point.
Speaker 2: Like Damian Pierce, I feel like he could why he could have been a captain. John Weeks could have been a captain.
Speaker 5: And think about this too. These captains haven't been captains for a long time. Tunsel had it for half of a season last.
Speaker 2: Year because Brandon Cook's.
Speaker 5: Jimmy Lord was a captain for the last two seasons in San Francisco and then the rookies and never been a captain obviously, and petrees this first time to be a captain. So it's it's inexperienced captaincies. Not that that matters, but it's just kind of new blood in that regard.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good sign.
Speaker 1: It means that you've got your young players are leaders on both sides of the ball. So I am excited that C. J. Stroud is a captain. I don't know if that was because he was the quarterback and he was here in the starting job.
Speaker 3: It was elected by the players, right, so this is the coaches just get a vote to This is high praise.
Speaker 5: Remember last year, boy, And if you read the Jonathan Alexander Houston Chronicle story about Straw that came out today, Holy moly.
Speaker 4: That's a whopper.
Speaker 3: I haven't read it yet.
Speaker 5: T job by Alexander. Heck of a job, heck of a story about see. I mean, it's really really impressive what he's been through and overcome and how he's flourished.
Speaker 4: You can see why.
Speaker 5: Okay, based on a lot of the things he details in that article, you can see why they elected this guy. He's he's wise beyond his years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been through so much, just with his dad, overcoming adversity than going to Ohio State all the attention that was on him there. It seems like no stage is too big for him, which I think you like to see in a quarterback.
Speaker 2: You don't want anyone to feel overwhelmed at that spot.
Speaker 3: I like what Nick said about it this morning, and I know he's going to do this tomorrow with us as well. If you're a competitor, you want this, you want Baltimore. You want that challenge of playing a high octane, highly regarded team, a team that's a quiet I'll use that word carefully, super Bowl contender, because why not that right? Why not the Ravens out of that division? Bengals, I don't know, they might slow down a little bit.
Speaker 5: Steelers quarterback who's been a league MVP, you've got a shot it at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a defense that's always in the top ten, if not the top five. Twenty four years of football. The last twenty four years, they've been out of the top ten just seven times, and they've been close. When they haven't been in the top ten, they have a cup. They have like one in the twenties, but that was it. It was an aberration. And they have a lot of top fours, top threes, top fives in there as well. This is a defensive franchise, no doubt, and they're going to be that again.
Speaker 1: Well on the offensive side of the ball, both of these teams new offensive coordinators. Not really sure what we're going to see with the preseason, both teams sort of held back the big guns, But like, what are we expecting to see, both from the Texans and the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Lots of play action.
Speaker 5: I think you're gonna see lots of bootlegs and stuff when the Texans do throw it. I can't wait to see, you know, like the I'm just gonna be for the yes, yes, the old day.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to see some plays that we haven't seen, right, Yeah, I want to be surprised. Yeah, I think we will. We'll be surprised. They've been working on some stuff that they don't want the world to see, and they got to have some special, easy short stuff with a lot of yak potential for CJ. Stroud, you know, get it to Robert Woods and he can take off and run with it. Same thing with Nico obviously, get it down field to Dell. On occasion, I want to see one of those bootleg playfakes and Dell is wide open with an.
Speaker 5: Acre lots and lots of Shenanigans cooked up for Tank Dell, I really do. I mean, I think there's we didn't see him against the Saints. You saw him on the punt return and that was it. I think, Yeah, I think there's a lot that Tank Dell's gonna do this season that that's been specially designed for him, because he is He is just a different dude.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about wise beyond your years. He just has this old soul air about him right that he's a pro. He comes in as a prof professional. And I stopped talking about his size weeks ago because I said, this guy's a moon, a FID receiver, playmaker. I don't care. I want him to stay healthy. That's that's all I'm thinking about here, because I think if he's healthy, he's going to make a ton of plays in this League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Travis and Dy both were talking about they can't believe that size is still an issue when it comes to receivers, when some of the best receivers in the NFL have been undersized because that's what makes them so quick.
Speaker 2: And shifty, is the fact that they are smaller.
Speaker 1: But I think with Tank, you bring up a good point is just being going the Juco route, being undersized, having to prove himself time and time again. He's got that chip on his shoulder like CJ, but coming from a different coming from a totally different program.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know it's it's interesting before the Patriots game in the preseason this year, Mark and I were in the production meeting the day before the game and Case Keenum was in there, and at one point I asked, Case, Hey, you're obviously a Cougar. Tank Dell is a Cougar decade a part or so. But you've kept your tabs on him. What do you think about what he did there versus what you've seen him do in training camp and in OTAs In Case, remember that he paused and he kind of collected his thought and he said he was making plays in college. And I know people talk about the AAC and the level of competition, but trust me, there's really good players in that conference. And he was he was doing that and making plays. Well, he's doing the same thing against a really good NFL secondary right now. And Case was kind of very diplomatically saying he was doing it against college competition, and hey, it's one thing to do it there, but he's actually doing it against a pretty darn good NFL secondary too. So yeah, it was it was cool hearing him say it. He won't being a homer about it. It was very a detached, analytical view of things, and just that's another selling point, another tick mark on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this guy's legit.
Speaker 3: Can they sign Case keen him to a lifetime contract? I want to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Demico Ryans miked up at camp. How Case keeps camp fun, Show the rookies how it's done.
Speaker 2: It keeps it fun.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: He's got fun.
Speaker 3: He's got this great disposition and I think it's infectious.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's get take a break and then we've got one more segment of Texans All Access. We're gonna go around the NFL some news about the Texans Week two opponent, plus a familiar face is going to make his debut on NFL network.
Speaker 2: That's all coming up. Final segment of Texans All Access. Final segment of Texans All Access coming your way.
Speaker 1: I've got Mark, I've got Drew, It's myself DP. We're going to go around the NFL as we head into week one. And all right, guys, I Mark, I just I know Mark loves when it comes to bad news with the Colts.
Speaker 2: So shall we start there.
Speaker 3: I really feel bad about how I'm going to feel right now, Go ahead, tell me what it is, all right?
Speaker 1: So Jonathan Taylor obviously going to miss the first four weeks is such a shame of it.
Speaker 2: So disappointed. There is no starting running back in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: That's a shame, and there.
Speaker 1: May not be in week two either, because Shane Steigen says they're gonna go running back by committee. They've got Zach Moss and Dean Jackson and Evan Hall and they're just gonna put all through of those guys out there they played play.
Speaker 5: With, they get to play with thirteen guys. If it's the committee gets to run or is it, yeah.
Speaker 2: The committee?
Speaker 3: Somebody that's got a gavel, listen, I think Zach Moss is a pretty good player, and I was thinking during the postseason that Buffalo was wishing they still had Zach Moss. I know Nahim Hines did some good things for them, especially in that return from DeMar Hamlin game.
Speaker 1: From the Probably game, they probably wish they still had him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Zach Moss can be dangerous. He's a heavy runner. I just think the leading rusher is going to be Anthony rich Richardson more often than not in the early going, especially before they get Taylor back, and maybe they didn't never, maybe they never get Taylor back. But as long as they have Richardson, he can make plays by himself, things break down. He's gonna run. I think Stroud's gonna run a little bit too on Sunday as well. I think that's gonna enter the repertoire of what he what he does. We've seen it at practice from time to time, and during the game they're gonna talk to him slide, don't risk anything, but they're gonna be yards to be had with his legs. And I think Stroud's gonna do that now with Richardson, you know he's going to do that just part of what he does right, It's part of his mix. So I like that they say running back by committee because it's kind of like, if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. If you have running back by committee, you do you really have one running back. But there's still Look, it's still the Colds. I don't care who they put out there. The Cults are always going to be a tough team for the Texans to beat. You know this, I will talk about that next week.
Speaker 5: I know we're clicking our fingers together like mister Burns from the Simpsons.
Speaker 4: But man, the.
Speaker 5: Doom and gloom in me worries that none of that's gonna matter. And Richardson's just gonna ball out and throw for seven touchdowns.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna do that.
Speaker 4: He's just gonna look like fantastic week two.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe maybe it's the season per they.
Speaker 5: Wait on that on being excited about them not having a running back.
Speaker 3: They're hosting the Jags this weekend. I'm not even gonna look at the line. I know the Jags are favored. What do you think you think that the Jags win that one? I think so definitely picking the jack Yeah, I think how surprised would you be if the Colts pull off it upset at home opening day. I got the Jags team that's not perfect.
Speaker 1: Not at all, But I do think that not surprise only because it's hard to prepare for a team that you've never seen.
Speaker 2: You don't know, how do you prepare against Anthony Richardson. I mean you just really can't.
Speaker 3: But I think overwhelmed the line of scrimmage, you can.
Speaker 1: But I mean he doesn't have like at least you've got DJ Stroud and we've talk we just got to talk about how important Damian Pierce is going to be for CJ. Stroud and Anthony Richardson doesn't have that. You can run all he wants, but it is still nice to have a running back that you can hand the ball off too. Now and then you don't want him to do all the work.
Speaker 3: In week one, they'll hand off, I mean they will.
Speaker 1: Jacks was banged up in camp, which is why I think they did not name him the start Dean Jackson.
Speaker 3: This is they're not a little like here.
Speaker 1: But Jonathan, I mean Jonathan Taylor, Like, yes, that's a that's a that's a heavy hand to replace right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's Derek Henry league. You know, either are different types of runners, but he's in that league with Derek Henry of among the best in the NFL, and he's not available right now, and it's such a shame. Also, the Titans are going to be at New Orleans. Hmm, okay, what kind of chance? What kind of snowballs chance do you give them at New Orleans? I mean, I think New Orleans wins this game. But the Titans could shockingly be better than a lot of people expect. I know they have replacements to nurture on the O line, but they should still have plenty of defense to play. They still have Dereck Henry and Hopkins, and maybe it all comes together for them enough to beat the Saints in more teams than you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we've seen what DeAndre Hopkins can do for a quarterback around here. Yes, you know, pre Deshaun Watson during the show, he's he's going to help them out. But man, I still think the Saints are going to be much much better than they were last year. I think Derek Carr adds just a new element to that team. I got some friends who are Saints fans, and they're pretty jacked up. They're excited about.
Speaker 3: The see Kamara with Car with their other weapons, and Car being a steadying force and not turning it over as much as Winston would. I like James because he goes for the big play, but he gets turned over a lot, right, so Car for Car's sake, I hope he doesn't do that as much until he comes here, of course, and we'll see how that goes. But I'll be rooty for the Saints this weekend when they entertained the title.
Speaker 1: The Saints are ranked, so the power rankings already out in a film dot COM's got power rankings.
Speaker 2: Saints. Guess where they come in the Saints.
Speaker 3: I bet they're No, they're not that high.
Speaker 1: They're fourteenth, sixteenth, dead in the middle. Okay, all right, so we'll see, we'll see, and then the Titans are blow them.
Speaker 2: Jags are the highest the AFC South.
Speaker 3: They're probably the Jags ranked thirteenth nine.
Speaker 1: They're nine, Yeah, top ten, that's what I meant. They're cracking top ten. Jacksonville, guess where the Texans are.
Speaker 3: I think the jack are rated a bit too. I don't want to say overrated. I think their paper is graded a bit too high. Where the Texans. Look, Come on, if you're doing one of these things, where are you going to put the Texans?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put them higher than they are right now?
Speaker 3: Twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: They're thirty first? What above the and how about this above them? The Colts at twenty ninth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't get that. You can understand that you tied them and beat them, and you have a better quarterback than they do, at least on paper.
Speaker 2: And their best player is off the field.
Speaker 3: And you have, Yeah, you have more going for you than they do going into the opening weekend. That's wrong that the Colts are ranked ahead of the Texans.
Speaker 1: I think somebody tweeted that NFL Power rankings are here to make everybody angry about where they're doing.
Speaker 4: It's true, they get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got me because I'm arguing about who should be twenty ninth? Really really, this is what we do here?
Speaker 1: No so meaningless? Kansas City is number one and Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: Is even play.
Speaker 3: Well, where would you put them?
Speaker 2: I'm putting them number one and at the Eagles at number two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds good to me. I'm still complaining that the opening game is the Lions at the Chiefs. I went on a rant about this last week on the air because I said, they have games on their schedule that are way better than this. They have the Dolphins at home, they have the Eagles at home. They have a Super Bowl rematch at home, and they're not putting it on Thursday night, kickoff night. They're not doing it. They've got the Chargers, of course, they have a variety of places they can go. They have the Bengals at home. They could have done that as well. No, we're going to do the Lions because they're everybody's favorite team. No, they're going to do the Lions because they're good enough and everyone's gonna be watching anyway. We're gonna save those big games for CBS and Fox later on NBC, flexing potential, whatever else.
Speaker 2: Marc is turning his back on his favorite guy, Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 3: I love AG, but come on, I'm sure AG would rather.
Speaker 1: The Lions are ranked eleventh this Power rankings, So I don't know what that's I'm sure this is gonna be totally shuffled around next week, all right before we go around the NFL. NFL Network added six new analysts ahead of the twenty twenty three, season one six, and one of them none other than former Texans offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton.
Speaker 3: You're kidding, now, I knew good. Pep was doing a bunch of training camp stuff with them, So I'm hoping that this really turns out well for him. I think he's got the aptitude to do it. Some of the training camp stuff that's really clunky and tough. You know, you're in the hot weather, you're sitting there with a microphone. You don't know where they're going. They're trying to fill time or whatever they're doing. This is a little bit more of a controlled environment. I want to see how this turns out for.
Speaker 2: Studio shows, including NFL Game Day Lives.
Speaker 3: Does he ride his bike to the studio? Maybe he left it here because well, Dandy Barrett's still here with the bike.
Speaker 4: Ride the bike, I think, yeah, I think he's the only one right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah started the bike.
Speaker 3: It was Pep and Danny Barrett riding the bikes, and I think that was really smart. I'm surprised that has caught on with the players. We had the segues a decade.
Speaker 4: Ago right in then Energy Stadium.
Speaker 3: Why don't we have bikes now? Could you imagine a massive player bike parking lot in the always.
Speaker 1: Any of Demico's not riding a bike, nobody's riding a bike. If he can, If he can walk, everyone else can walk. All right, speaking of walking, Texans all Access walked.
Speaker 2: So that Texans matchup could run? Do you like this? Say I like that?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, John Harris brings you Texans Matchup. The Texans haven't even played a game yet, so what could be he'd be possibly matching up? You don't have to tune in and find out. But that's going to do it for Texans All Access. Thanks so much, guys, We'll see you next week and check out Houston Texans dot com
Speaker 2: For all of our latest news and podcasts