Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Our Week eighteen reaction is presented by Uber eats. Get game day deals all season long on Uber eats. All right, we're doing a Monday afternoon Monday night version. This past weekend was pretty choppy, and I went to Chicago to hang out with Ann and family, so I let John Middelkoff, former NFL scout, take over the control. So instead we'll do a late Monday afternoon podcast. We got a lot of stuff to talk about. There's coaches getting fired left and right. Girod Mayo out in New England, Doug Peterson. You know, it's weird about these coaching ejections, Like Doug Peterson in Philadelphia with a strong foundational owner and general manager, had some real success, and then you put him with Trent Bulke and the con family and in a shakier frame, and he takes the fall. You know, it's it doesn't matter if it's I mean Tom Coughlin, I guess is the last coach that consistently won there? You know, of all these openings right now, I mean, we know we've got you know, we got the Jets and the Saints and the Bears. We've got the Jags in New England. Is there one that's attractive to you if you if you were in the market to be a coach, is there one John that's attractive to you.
Speaker 1: Well, I gotta start by saying happy birthday, Happy fiftieth Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, buddy.
Speaker 1: I would say the Jags would be last on that list. I mean that that is the place where, let's face, the careers for coaches go to die. Yeah, and the Trump Balke situation. You know, for a guy that started at the Midge State in the Dakotas, he's a pretty good politician. I mean he's he's run through a lot of coaches in his career and that connection, you know, part of being in a front office. You get an unfair advantage during the game when the coach is on the sideline with the players, you're usually sitting next to the owner and Die Coke talking craft about what their decisions. I think easily New England when you factor in the quarterback and the longevity of the history they've proven with Bill of you know, just letting a guy run it now. They said Elliott Wolf, who I don't know personally, have met him a couple times over the years. I mean at one point in time he looked like the future packer GM, but they said he's gonna stay. So if Vrabel or whoever is interested in that job, do I have to work with this guy? Is he technically not the GM, he's just the head of personnel. It's a little clunky. All these jobs are pretty clunky, Colin, and I think one consistent theme we saw these owners don't want to you know, ideally they don't want to go on a search because on these searches with coaches and gms, they're speaking Chinese while the owner's speaking Spanish. It's easy for them to hire business people. Why they speak the same language. The coaches coming in talking offensive a defensive scheme. It'd be hard for me to follow, let alone these guys. So I think when you saw John Mora, Jim Irsay, Stephen Ross, they just wanted to know part of it. I really think New England just so desperate for Mike Vrabel, which I totally understand, is why Gerrod Mao. They put out a statement of I would guess easily over a thousand words, like five minutes after the game. You don't write that. I mean the thing was written on Saturday Colin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's interesting. I agree with you. I think the Patriots is the best gig. You know, Chicago's so political. All the Chicago teams right now are struggling. The White Sox are historically bad. The Wills family with Blackhawks, they've got a billion dollar business beyond the hockey team. But you know Ryansdorf, the Bulls situation, the Bears, the mccaskeys. It's not a city despite being you know, the third largest American city, It's not a city with rich owners. It's got sort of older owners where the team is the primary business. How do you grade how do you grade the Bears as a job? I mean, there's obviously some upside, but I consider this, and maybe this is something coaches don't think about. But Jesus, the Packers win. The Lions have everything in place. The Vikings have always been a pretty solid, well run organization. With what is the hot young coach in the NFL? Do you consider that? Do you consider or do you just go get the coach? The coach doesn't think about it. I mean Harbaugh saying I want to take on Andy Reid. But the truth is Denver and the Raiders are kind of been wobbly franchises for most of the last seven eight years. Are the Bears a good Is that a good job?
Speaker 1: I think it's a terrible job. And I think it all gets back to ownership. You know, I think it's different. But Mike Shanahan once upon a time took over the Redskins, and you just don't overcome an owner. And I think that's a consistent theme. Listen, whatever shot con seems like a nice guy. Whatever's going on there with leaderships bad? The Bears have now a pretty consistent history of you know, it's a moment. I've had friends that have worked there they discussed as being a mom and pop shop, and yeah, that was a knock on the Chargers for a long time. What did they do? They built a three hundred million dollar practice facility. They break the bank for Jim Harbaugh. Obviously, they they kind of luck into Herbert and it changes their franchise, but they had to start spending serious money. And I fully expect a random guy to be the head coach of the Bears, if I had to guess right now, would be like the Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator someone, because that's typically when you just look at the history and up until Jim Harbaugh was hired with the Chargers, that was kind of there. You know, Brian and Staley, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn. I just think anytime you get Kevin Warren and you get Ryan Poles, and you get a lot of people who do I answer to, that's tough to overcome. I mean, the same teams Colin basically win all all the time, all the time. I mean the Pittsburgh Steelers, but they went. I mean, if if I was Ben Johnson, do you know what I'd be helping Pittsburgh Steelers get blown out? Maybe Mike Tomlin we trade them. I'd want to go there, you know I would not. Chicago's a place where guys go to get fired really quickly. I mean, so we've seen the same thing over and over.
Speaker 2: Let me list the top of the NFL draft. Tell me if you've heard this before. Titans, Browns, Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Panthers, Saints, Bears. I mean, it's just like and increasingly the Giants. It's the same teams every year. And I've argued this forever that it's the ownership that's what it is. Don't you can blame the players, the coach, and the GM, but it's overwhelmingly upstairs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: A prime example is there's only one great quarterback that didn't make the playoffs, Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: All the other great quarterbacks made it. The Brown family is arguably the most frugal in the league. Their front office is considered just functional. Nothing against the GM, but they don't make any moves. They're the opposite of the Philadelphia Eagles. They make no moves, They do nothing clever, they they don't do anything. They have their seven picks, they take their picks, and it's just it's one of those things where you know, generally, John, there's seven new playoff teams a year. This year four and three of those four got new quarterbacks. I think as the season is extended and quarterbacks are more valuable, it's easier to pick the NFL. I picked six of the eight divisions right, and the two I missed on came down to the last couple of weeks. Like I've said this multiple times raising kids, the days are long, the years fly by. In the NFL, picking the winners each week is hard, but predicting the season is getting easier and I just I start looking around at these teams. The only way out from this abyss for Tennessee and Cleveland, New England. Jacksonville is the quarterback to me, that feels like the only.
Speaker 1: Way out totally. Look at Cincinnati's a good example today Zach Taylor fired the defensive coordinator who, like a couple of years ago, everyone's like he's one of the best defensive coordinators in the league. Well, what happened? They started letting guys walk. What has Joe Burrow been hammering home in his press conferences. You can't make a living letting good players walk out of the building. Who would not have let them walk? The Eagles, the Niners. When you get really good impact players, you let them walk. Jesse Bates walks right out. Their secondary was a trocis these last couple of years, and I think it's really hard to overcome that. And they got they've even Joe Burrows forced the ownership to get a little more aggressive than they're typically used to, and it feels like he's pressing their hand, like I want t Higgins and Jamar Chase. And he's probably still gonna lose out on that argument, but I hear you I think that that number is gonna the day and age of like this constant huge turnover is dead. Because we also see like these young quarterbacks, it's easier now to play quarterback than ever. It's definitely less physical, like you can be a lot smaller than you could twenty years ago because you don't get hit as hard. But it is still very, very challenging, and I think when you add the extra pressures from the outside mentally can really break you. And we see that happen a lot. But I think we see consistent teams like who maybe the Steelers if they ever make a big change a quarterback or coach could take a step back for a year or two. But like what other teams when you look at the playoff picture do you see having big swings moving forward? Look at Tampa. Tampa's just a well run organization now. Jason light just knows what he's doing, and Todd Bowles is solid, not easy replacing Bruce arians, but he's a solid coach. And they got the quarterback right Baker Mayfield. Baker's a really good player right now.
Speaker 2: Colin, Yeah, yeah, no, I covered the Buccaneers when I work down there. The Glazer family was non medaling. Jason light was one of the best scouts in pro football for years now. He's the GM. They've always had good players. Brady hands it off to Baker Mayfield, good quarterback play. And Todd Bowles is not you know, he's not popular. You know he's on that sideline. He's very quiet, doesn't have much to say, but you always know you get an excellent effort from him. I mean that team went into LA and destroyed the Chargers. I mean, move the ball up and down the field on the number one defense in the league. So again, what I think you and I are getting at is, I don't think you're gonna I don't think you're gonna see these annual changes in the NFL. I think I think what we have here is if you have a good young quarterback. I think Mahomes and Allen and Lamar and Herbert. I think Jared Goff still is in his prime. I don't think these teams are going anywhere. I think they're just going to consistently win year after year.
Speaker 1: Well that's why the Coults are a good example. Jim Rsay sticking with the guys. I love that, But what are they gonna do if that quarterback they drafted him fourth overall, he's just not gonna be good enough. One he's not accurate. Two he can't stay healthy, Like I mean, he has legitimate health concerns. You're just screwed. And you actually get the benefit of doubt if you're Indie because they're division stakes, but they're still how could anyone pick that. I kind of liked him this year because I bet maybe Anthony richhim becomes a good player Shane Styken turns out I was wrong, And now you definitely can't belt bet on it from a health standpoint. And I don't know if you saw the visual of Jim Mersey getting carted out, he looked like weaken the Bernice, you know, he could barely. I mean, he's in bad shape. So and he's you know, looks like he's ninety sixty five years old. So that organization, that's one that was good for a long time. Like I'm just betting against moving forward until they figure out the quarterback situations that they have it in almost a decade now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've talked about this. I think the one advantage. Two there's a couple of things going on in the NFL if you don't have a great quarterback, and there's about six great quarterbacks at any one time in the league, there's a lot of really. Liam Cohen's a great example. Kevin O'Connell's another great example. There are more smart offensive coaches than the league's ever head, which can take a C quarterback and make him a B quarterback. There's a lot of that, so that's the upside. Secondly, there's more good quarterbacks. John if you go back to the twenty eighteen class where now Darnald, Baker, Josh and Lamar all had career years, that is, from twenty eighteen until this past draft class, we've had three different classes that give you four star quarterbacks. So, I mean it used to be the Elway Marino class we talked about for thirty years, and now it's like about every other draft. Every third draft you get four or five guys that can play. I mean, this draft isn't considered a strong one cam Ward and Shudur Sanders, but Riley Leonard McCord out of Syracuse I think will end up being I think he'll end up being like a third round quarterback that sticks in the league for a long time. Kyle McCord is, and I just think we're getting to a point. The good news is there's better quarterback coaching. You're getting a more consistent three or four first round quarterbacks that can play. But it is pretty clear there is a certain group of owners that are either ersay kind of debilitating. You know, they're in a bad state of affairs physically mccaskey's they're old, a little bit out of touch, or they're Jerry Jones where they have some sense of football knowledge they probably don't possess. So I tell people this all the time. If I remember, you know, going out with friends and they asked me about my business. Everybody likes the NFL, and I always say, they're seven great owners, seven great coaches, seven great coordinators, seven great quarterbacks. I mean it's I mean like Spags is unbelievable. I think Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson are unbelievable. Kingsbury is a coordinator is unbelievable. There is a finite number of great Jesse Minterter I think right now is great. Harbaugh is just look at the teams right now, John, how many of them have all three? I mean the Chargers now have great coach great coordinator, great quarterback. Chiefs have that have that. You know, there's not many. There's about five franchises that have everything dialed up, the coach, the quarterback, and one great coordinator. And I think what it's doing, it's dividing the league. It's becoming more NBA, where you have a very strong top, a small middle, and a really soft weak bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean totally. I mean, if you had to pick the NFC Championship in AFC Championship right now, you would go Chiefs Bills are the Ravens, and last year was Chiefs first, the Ravens. And if you had to pick the NFC, obviously the forty nine ers missed, but you would pick the Lions. They have the number one seed and they just have to win one game to get there. And you'd probably picked the Eagles, who last year imploded, but the previous year were in the Super Bowl. So it's like the same teams. When I went to the combine last year for the first time in a couple of years, and listen, I'm lucky I got hired by Andy Reid, so I just knew, you know, the Chiefs guys, the Eagles guys know the Niners. Guys. You just kind of start seeing the emblems and the way people carry themselves and the way they operate, and it's like it was so evident at the combine and that was before free agency. In the draft. It's a ten team league. Look at the what the Ravens got going right now. I mean, they've been good for what this entire century? Yeah, the best, the most competitive foe they have, even though they missed the playoffs, is the Bengals because of the quarterback. But it's really hard to overcome that organizational frugal mindset. At the end of the day, the Steelers, in theory, should be but they're a I bet it's a ten point you know spread by the time that game kicks off. They have no quarterback help insight, and the offense for whatever reason, feels like it's getting worse by the year. And then the Browns, like I think everyone thinks highly ast the Fansky and Andrew Berry, but you can't overcome that owner. He gave the guy two hundred thirty million dollars and they're just complete And today, I don't know if you saw the news he now, I don't know. This is no one's fault, but he re hurt his achilles. Like that thing is just the Russell Wilson. We've seen some of Carson Wentz, some of these big contracts. Those don't hold a candle to the financial disasters at the Browns haff and what do you do right? They're drafting second So it's like, okay, let's say you take cam Warder shed Door Sanders. You cannot have Deshaun Watson there around that, so you just cut them and take a you know, a historic hit. You probably have to. And that's what the Ravens have to deal with. Meanwhile, they'll just at worse they'll be in the second round in a tight game against the Bills, and at best maybe this is their year they're in the super Bowl. But they don't have to worry about that Francis. Meanwhile, the AFC West a good example. Obviously the Raiders have a lot of question marks, but Andy's really got to try. He's got harb on Sean Payton, you know, coming after him. Two guys that know what they're doing, that have been around the block and obviously now have quarterbacks. I think Sean Payton I saw a headline from our guy Mike silver that said, like, you can't do this to other quarterback and thank god we got one and figure it out, and they're just gonna be a problem moving forward.
Speaker 2: NFL playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are. Get in on the action of DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the nfls Scoring touchdowns is a key to winning in the NFL playoffs, and the key tou scoring big is betting on them at DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. A player scoring a touchdown, go to DraftKings Sportsbooks app, download it, make your pick. Here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it on the playoffs. If you're a new customer, you bet five bucks. That's it, five bucks, get two hundred in bonus bets instantly by betting just five bucks, so score big Draftking sports Book during the playoffs. Download the app, use the code Colin cli N that will get you two hundred bucks in bonus bets. So if you want two hundred dollars in bonus bets, you got to put in the code Colin only on DraftKings sportsbook The Crown is Yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight ope and Why, or text hope and Why four six seven, three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven to seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, void and Ontario Bonus Betskspire one hundred and sixty eight hours, zepter issuins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG, dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: So let's look at the Chargers are two and a half point favorites at the Texans. My lean is the Chargers pass rush will give what's been a really shaky Texans O line trouble. I would probably lean Chargers there. I think the Texans have been a hard team to figure out, have not been consistent in big games. I don't think this year. I think the regression of CJ. Stroud is mostly a protection issue. The Chargers come in with a much better defense I'd lean La, what would you lean?
Speaker 1: I would too, But you know their issue have been up the middle. You know, obviously the Chargers dominant pass rushes on the edges. Last year, everyone picked the Browns. Now the Texans were playing better football, and remember the Texans kicked their ass. Now Jim Harbaugh is a different animal than Flacco and Herbert, but that's one I think everyone's gonna pick the Chargers. I could listen the Chargers playing a lot of ugly games. I could see that thing being weird. That'd be a game that I you know, looking at the early slate, I'm probably gonna stay away because I think every I think all the money is gonna come into the Chargers and then all of a sudden it's a tie game in the third quarter. Plus just road playoff games are difficult to win. So it's just we saw last year they won a road play or they won a home playoff game. It's a huge advantage even for the shooty team that's the four seed to host that game. I mean, that's to me, and the Texans are clearly comfortable playing Saturday afternoon. That's I think they've played like eight of the last ten years in that spot.
Speaker 2: It's time to look at this weekend's tastiest matchup. In this week's Monday Night food Ball, brought to you by Uber Eat. There's two games I feel strongly about one of them as Ravens minus tenant home against the Steelers. You know, I think the Steelers their organizational superiority. They beat some Raiders and Jets are ear in the season, but down the stretches they just can't score. They can't move the ball consistently. I like the Ravens to just I think if they played ten times the Ravens this current makeup of both teams, I would take the Ravens to win eight of them. You have any different feeling about that?
Speaker 1: Totally agree? I mean, how could anyone pick the Steelers right now? They have what an awful month. I mean, they got boat raced in an eleven day stretch and then even on was the Saturday night they were down nineteen to seven going into the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Yep, Russelle, it's a historically bad defense.
Speaker 1: As this weather's gotten bad, he's looked a little different now. It's not all his fault, George Pickens. You know they've hit on Antonio Brown's and the Plexicos and the you know, Emmanuel Standers. They've hit on a lot of wide receivers over the years. It feels like they were hoping this guy would be that, and it feels like he's melting a little bit under that pressure of being the number one guy. How do they keep going with what they're doing? I mean, just another one and done. I mean, Colin they were a double digit underdog against their bitter division rifle.
Speaker 2: It's not even every Every Steeler team looks the same to me, They're just a slight variation on the previous team. Last year they won ten games. This year they won ten games. So again, I think structurally, foundationally they're so well run. They always have good defense, there's no chaos. It's a consistent organization. And since a, let's be honest, since twelve teams in the league, aren't they just win those games for sure? But when you get to the upper crust, I mean, they're a ten win team. Nobody in their right mind thinks they have even They could get several breaks and they wouldn't even get to the conference championship. So it's to me, Mike Tomlin, who would be a superstar on TV. I think he would knock it out of the park. I'm you know, I always say that the Steelers and the Packers, two small market teams. One thirty years ago said we're going to be about offense, coaches, quarterbacks, We're gonna draft defense in the first round, but we're gonna be about drafting and developing offense, and we're never gonna have battle lines. The Steelers since Chuck Nole, have decided we're mostly going to be about defense. Even when they had Big Ben, they were a physical, tough team, like he was a physical, tough quarterback. And they both have like, you know, a lot of Super Bowls. But doesn't it feel over like doesn't it feel since Big Ben got out of his prime about like eight years ago, ten years ago? They they don't beat good teams. When is the last Steeler playoff win over a star quarterback? I mean, I can't think of one in a decade.
Speaker 1: Well, they haven't won a playoff games. It's twenty sixteen, twenty twenty five. To me, the fix is pretty easy. Mike Tomlin, I've been I said this last year looked kind of foolish halfway through the year, but it's come back to prove right that it's just time. Like Mike tom he'd be awesome on TV. All these openings would die to have by Tom. Why not go to the Bears? Trade him to the Bears. Unlike some of these other situations that got where you don't need to give a first round pick. It's like the Bears would have to get there maybe a two and a three or somehow staggered over the course of a couple of years. Mike Tomlin gets a fresh start, he gets a young quarterback, and the Steelers can use their infrastructure of their organization, go hire Ben Johnson and be equipped to handle him. Get his idea with a quarterback. Changed the offense because this league you said it forever about Belichick. The league changed and it's still longer about super tough. Obviously you've got to have a good defense, but like if that's your number one goal, like you're probably not gonna win many Super Bowls. Hell, they can't win a playoff game. They can't win a playoff game. And now at one point in time they were ten and three and now wild Card weekend they're a ten point underdog against the Ravens that they know better than anybody.
Speaker 2: That was this week's Monday Night Foodball, brought to you by Uber. Reed says the affe Viu on demand delivery partner of the NFL. I use it very often every weekend. Uber eats best gamed aay deals all season long order. Now for game day, I do think it's a tough spot for the Broncos. I think their defense keeps them in it against the Bills. Usually if it's harsh weather, it helps the underdog because it muddies the game for everybody. But I do think the Bills win by about ten points. I could see twenty eight, twenty thirty, twenty. Do you see it differently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to see a rookie quarterback long trip at Buffalo. I kind of I like Buffalo handling them pretty well. This is a tough spot. This is raging success, right.
Speaker 2: How about this? I want to throw something at you. So I have Sean Payton's a friend, and you know, one of the reasons in corporate America, it's hard to get a lot of stuff done because you have, you know, the HR person here, and there's certain things you can't say. But in pro football, you know you can call out another employee and be cost and abrasive. And you know that's why in the NFL it's just a different ballgame. And so Sean Payton comes in. He never once says Russell Wilson and I are the future. Very early, it's like, this office is embarrassing. You can't have a personal office. He can't figure out the plays, he can't read a defense. I mean, he goes after him. There's never a moment. The whole experience is uncomfortable. It's all discomfort. You couldn't do that in corporate America. You'd have to let somebody go buy him out. You couldn't say the things he said, and it's one you get sued. One of the things that's great about the NFL, and the reason you can turn around companies like the Chargers and the Broncos overnight, is because you can be harsh and punitive and intense and caustic. And people were giving Sean pate. Aaron Rodgers was pushing back on the Nat Hackett comment. Sean Payton was right onfing everything. He was right on everything is that bo Nix is better than Russell Wilson. And Nat Hackett did not know what he was doing, and it's why the NFL works. The tech's got a little bit of a feel like this. You can just rip another you know, it's competitive. You just go after people, and the NFL allows you to be incredibly harsh, blunt and hurtful. But you can't turn around a corporation being precious and completely thoughtful. You got to get certain people out of the building. And as I go into this game, if the Chargers, if the Broncos don't win, my takeaway is this has been any team losing in the first round, Washington and Denver, you'd have to tip your cat and say, say, guys, well done, fantastic year.
Speaker 1: Well, Dan and Sean have definitely different personalities, don't those two organizations parallel themselves. They got I mean, Denver had a famous historic Hall of Fame level owner but was obviously really sick, his daughters were running it was in shambles that they were in a bad spot, and Washington has one of the worst owners we've ever seen in pro sports. They both get fresh ownership with lots of money and they went out. What is the first thing that Washington does. They hire Adam Peters, who'd been the best GM prospect in five years and says, here, you run it right. What did the Walton family do after attempting the Rogers thing at fails? Wasn't all their fault? Like they kind of came in. Sean Payton, here is a ninetye hundred million dollars You do it? And what else do you need? Open checkbook? Look at the two franchises, and obviously both draft young quarterbacks that are equipped to handle that. Why because Adam Peters has worked for Belichick, Lway and John Lynch and Dan Quinn has a lot, a lot of experience. Sean Payton's been doing this for twenty five thirty years and both of them are the by far, the best two spots for the guy to go into. Look at Pennis. I like Pennix more than most of my scouting buddies. He goes in Atlanta kind of a shit show. It's like you got Cousins, even though Cousin's a great guy. It's the weird spot for a young quarterback. A ton of pressures, like everyone Atlanta's gonna win. Then Cousins starts falling apart. Then they insert him in late on a prayer, which is unfair. He gets none of the reps and then they end up missing the playoffs. Now they win eight games and hell, the last game of the season, Bryce Young looks better than Pennix. It's like, that's just not a way to operate. And some of these people have no clue what they're doing. And then you watch Washington and you watch Denver, it's like, these people just know what they're doing. This leads hard enough. It's gotta be one of the most competitive industries in America. Finance. I mean, it's a short list, so it's hard enough even if you know what you're doing. But you to put yourself in a situation when you know what you're doing has such an advantage over all. These teams that are just feel like they're kind of peeing in the win.
Speaker 2: Okay, my favorite bet of the weekend is the Eagles minus four and a half against Green Bay. Jordan Loves hurt Christian Watson's out, I think, I think, and I like Jordan Love a lot. I think his inconsistency is why Matt Lafleur in this offseason went and got Josh Jacobs. I think they were signaling, you know, it was a little bit of a bat signal. It was We're gonna be a power run team that I don't think Jordan Love should be throwing at thirty six times a game. I think it should be closer to twenty eight times a game. And I think they're very effective. But I think teams tell you what they think of their quarterbacks. And Matt Lafleur was telling you that Jordan can be erratic and a bit reckless. He's always been more far than Aaron Rodgers. I think this is a tough spot for him. I think Watson takes the lid off the defense. I think losing him makes it easier for this team to be defended. And I like Philadelphia kind of rolling Green Bay.
Speaker 1: Did you see the headline that Jalen Hurts is still in concussion protocol. I mean we're we're fifteen to twenty days removed from that concussion. That to me is a little concerning. Now could the Eagles at home with Kenny if they had to do? I mean, we still got six seven days from recording this to when they play, But you gotta start Kenny, pickt or Tanner McKee like, I'm sorry, you can lose a playoff game. But like you said, the Packers have not looked that good down the stretch at all. And Christian Watson, I think they became very dependent on him last year because he looked like this budding superstar injuries and then it looks like he's got a torn acl It sucks to lose him, but maybe big picture of this offseason, they can kind of pivot find another guy to fill that role if Jalen hurts. Though, like this, we talk about this in the NFL. It's very coach and quarterback dependent. If your quarterback can't play in a game and you got to go to a backup, like you could lose to the Packers at home. So that is something. If he's clears tomorrow or the next day, feel fine, but that's something. Remember a couple of years ago, was it Carson Wentz got a concussion in a playoff game? You just these playoff games. Somehow Mahomes has like ankles like he's a Lebron James. It can go the other way. You know, ten minutes later he's back on the field. But sometimes in these playoff games, your heart drops when when the quarterback it's injured. In Hell, I would imagine Philadelphia because the concussion protocol and like some other injuries, is a little out of your control. It's something that just you know, it's just I don't know. Now, their roster's so good. I mean, they could just run the ball and just overwhelm me.
Speaker 2: I thought Jalen Hurts about three weeks ago played the best game I've seen him play as a pro. I don't know where statistically it was when Jalen Hurts is running and he's rolling and he's got the pass run option. I think they're so hard to defend because the offensive line in Barkley, they could just play football in between the tackles and never run outside. And then when they add that component, and then it's Aj Brown over the top. I know everybody likes Kansas City to win another Super Bowl, but when Philadelphia is healthy and when the Lions are healthy, those rosters just look better than everybody. And that Philadelphia offense again, they could just be eight between the tackle power offense and be very effective when everything's working. I think the drop off Jalen Hurts to backups is substantial. Now, again, it depends on who you're playing, but we'll keep our eye on that.
Speaker 1: I would say this, I would say health there's five teams that can win the Super Bowl. Lions, Eagles, Chiefs, Ravensville's Yeah agreement there. Yes, I have a hard time seeing the Rams have just kind of looked I don't even count the last game, but have not played well down the stretch. The Bucks I just don't think have enough on a personnel standpoint. And our guy Sam Darnold came back to Earth a little bit the other night.
Speaker 2: And now for our next segment, Whiskey Business brought to you by Green River Whiskey, the official whiskey of the Colin Cowhard Podcast. If you want to enjoy life simple pleasures, reach for Green River Whiskey. Whether it's Rye whiskey, single barrel bourbon, you're getting over a century a craftsmanship packed into every bottle. Hop on over to Green Riverwhiskey dot com and discover a legend in a bottle Today, Bucks Commanders, I don't have a strong feel for I want to go to Rams at hosting Minnesota. So I like the Minnesota matchup because I think people now are selling because it was such a standalone game and had so many viewers that people saw Donald and everybody is selling Donald Stock. When I thought it was like it felt like a playoff game. It was a precursor. It was like the reason that restaurants have soft openings is you're not quite ready for the speed of the big opening. And I don't think Sam was quite ready for at Detroit, biggest game in five decades, a better roster, a big pass rush. I think Minnesota the Rams have really struggled to put consistent hams of football together. Offensively, they're very Puka Nikua dependent. Cooper Cup now is more of a blocker. We've talked about this. If they can't engineer a running game to start, they just become It's Stafford and Pooka. That's pretty much it. I think the Vikings bounce back. I think their receiving core is a real problem for the Rams. Secondary. Rams will draft a quarterback second or third pick. They'll take a corner number one. You have a strong feeling about that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would lean, you know, I think the Rams. Darnold starts seeing ghosts a little bit the other night. Now granted they were blitzing him every single play, but it really got to him. And the Rams have better personnel than what the Lions were just rolling out. Still pretty injured at least upfront, and if you can get pressure on Sam. Here's the thing. Their left tackle towards ACL a while back, so they still have some question marks up front. Now, Sam, why we were so high on him, He was moving around and making plays. If he can shake that and be a goldfish and forget about that game and get back to what he's been most of the season, I'm with you, I like Minnesota, But if any of that Lingers, is there a player right now in the NFL with just more on the line. It felt like in this game and last game. I mean we're talking, we're craking one hundred and fifty million dollars, and you play another game like that, all of a sudden, it's like, yeah, maybe we'll franchise you. I think that's the best part about the NFL, how fluid it is, how fast it moves. Yeah, they do have at the end of they do have this other quarterback sitting there. Whether we think it's crazy or not, like he does exist on their roster, and I would imagine most people would say JJ McCarthy might be the number one pick in this draft. We've said about Drake May, but there's he definitely would be a top five pick in this draft. Who you know, We'll see how it plays out. So if you have another game where you're just looking atrocious and overthrowing guys like that, that's how fast things change, especially when I don't have any equity with you. We saw it with Cousins. He had no equity. He just showed up. No, not saying they don't you know, they really like Sam clearly, but you lose the game against me the number one see, then you lose a playoff game in the first round. We all know these guys, I mean that they could. We saw how fast Sean McVay turned on Jared Goff and they had been working together for years. So this league, this league, when you're talking especially about the amount of money you're talking at the quarterback position, it can be pretty cutthroat if you don't produce. So I I feel like everyone's gonna kind of overlean Minnesota. That was one off. I don't know. I think Sean McVay what usually plays in the playff coaching, Well, I would take Sean over Kevin O'Connell, even though I like Kevin O'Connell, and I just think that they've been there, done that. You know, there's a lot of pressure on Sam going home Monday night football, that's a pretty intense environmentconin Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I thought last night Sam was overwhelmed. I thought he missed on two potential touchdowns. He was high, a lot of energy, a lot of juice, and it kind of overwhelmed him. You know, I defended him today. I said, you know, listen, last year Week eighteen, he was starting for the Niners. Like he went from bust to starting for the Niners to the biggest game in the history of Detroit Lions football in my adult life. So I like Minnesota, but you're not the first person Jason McIntyre really likes the Rams. This week, I want to talk about Notre Dame versus Penn State and Ohio State versus Texas. So Ohio State Texas. We'll probably get the bigger rating because of Buckeye's longhorns. But I was thinking about this the other day. Is that Notre Dame. I think Marcus Freeman was on my show, and I'm not sure if he said it then or in the preamble before he was on my show. They haven't lost anybody in the transfer portal, and I was thinking about this, John, the advantage Notre Dame has on the rest of the country in this transfer portal. So they have a young A plus plus recruiter and Marcus Freeman that in these days that really helps a lot of these Brian Kelly's. I was talking to a coach about Brian Kelly. I said, what's wrong with LSU And the coach said, Brian Kelly was about ready to retire in Notre Dame. He took that job for the money. He didn't want to put the time in. Their recruiting's gone down. Brian is on the back nine. He's probably on the seventeenth hole. He thought he could go down there and make it work and win a Natty. But the truth is he was worn out at Notre Dame and then somebody threw him a pile of money that he never thought he would make. But one of the things about this time, the transfer portal of the nil old guys like saban Or in basketball even easier in basketball. Jay Wright, older guy, it's too much. Jim Lahronega, the coach, the Miami Hurricanes basketball coach, like it's overwhelming. So if you have a young coach a Ryan Day Amarcus Freeman. You have a young coach with a ton of energy. Huge advantage. Secondly, Notre Dame doesn't lose guys to the portal because the players that go to Notre Dame are going there for the academic experience and the football experience. So it is the one football power in the country beyond Stanford and Northwestern, that consistently has bigger revenue, has a better TV package, and historically has paid more for coaches. And I look at Notre Dame in Penn State and I think this could be a really interesting ten year run for Notre Dame. You watch the SEC this year, John, it was very clear they just didn't look as dominant. I mean, it's Notre Dame matched up with Georgia and you mean to me, Ohio State looks like the most talented team in the country. And Michigan was the best team last year. And if Ohio State wins this year or Notre Dame, it's back to back Northern teams winning. And the advantage Notre Dame has is they may be the one team in the transfer portal era, because what is the transfer portal creating? John Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly know this chemistry issues. These guys don't grow up together. It's just got ole miss We'll go by eight great players, twelve great players Notre Dame. If Notre Dame beats Penn State, I just I've been thinking about this. They may have a cultural edge on the rest of college football that they do recruit elite players, but they don't you'll be able to have a more formidable cohesion and chemistry with your roster on an annual basis.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing Notre Dame a huge advantage they have. And we had a good family friend growing up who was a very successful businessman who had played at Notre Dame in the sixties. And they get these golf tournaments together all over the country because they're all their people, you know, like a Stanford or a usc go work New York, La Florida. They have a lot of money behind that program. You know, when Greg Byrne at Alabama comes out with a tweet begging fans for money, you know who's not gonna have to do that. Notre Dame. So at the end of the day, I think nil is kind of a stupid Like that term feels a little outdated. You're just you're just buying the player. I'm paying them a salary to play for me. And if Notre Dame true and Marcus Freeman you win a couple of playoff games, all of a sudden, people are gonna like that. They will not have a problem cutting huge checks. I mean, I see it here with Kenny Dillingham on the local news begging for money. It's hard. I can't even imagine being in that situation. Marcus Freeman will never have to beg for checks as long as he's winning. And I think that is a huge advantage. I think we see it with some of these Southern teams. That is a disadvantage for Alabama. That is the advantage for LSU. It's not you know, Texas text A and M not a disadvantage because they have huge, huge Arkansas sneaking not a disadvantage. He don't have the right coach. I think Notre Dame if they can figure out how to balance the academic requirements. But Northwestern's down, Stanford's down. Who are they really competing against for that top? You know, Andrew Luck, David di Castro, there are only so many of them. Will they got the market cornered and to me, financially, they have an unlimited part of the reason I think Stanford hired Andrew Luck obviously he kind of missed it and wanted the juice. But when Andrew Luck calls the guy worth one hundred million dollars is to Stanford alone, that guy will call him back. You know, if if Troy Taylor the football coach, had called him, he might not. And I think Marcus Freeman, now with the momentum going and people start getting the taste, I think they've already had this success where their budget is gonna be as high as anyone because they have the funds. I mean, it's impossible to not work in business around You're in Los Angeles. How many Notre Dame people do you hear of that just have unlimited amount of money and want to be part of the program. It's a really that university. If you went there, means a lot to these people. And I think the one thing that they will always fight against is it is hard to get certain positions in there, like they never really have great wide receivers right or top ten corners. Sometimes academically you got to push and that's something the more success Marcus Freeman has he can push back, but I think they have looked defensively. Where fran Kelly had good teams, this team looks much more like an SEC Ohio State Texas speed which like holy shit.
Speaker 2: But when I watched Notre Dame Georgia and I watched Notre Dame's corners, they were not getting beat down the field. I felt like Notre Dame, you could switch jerseys. I couldn't tell. I thought Notre Dame looked great, And I do think you know, they're called collectives. I think I think kind of the issue you're finding with this stuff is that there's a chemistry problem. So you bring in play they get paid, and then guys that are already there don't get paid as much. And I think Notre Dame's edges. You don't go to Notre Dame to get a paycheck, you go for a legacy. I mean, that's one of the reasons Duke Basketball and Mike Skrzhewski beat John Calipari in Kentucky and Calipari so predictably through a hissy fit, is that you know it was this one and done culture, and then Shazhewski started selling We're not about one and done. You're a blue devil for life. This is more than basketball. And they started taking some of those top players from Calipari, and Calipari is like, hey, you know this this thing about selling for life, and it's like John, you're a salesman. And and when John Paul Calipari started saying, hey, I'm not here to win in March, it's like, bro, it's over. Like, yes, you're hard, but the point is Duke, like Notre Dame sold, you're a Duchy for life. Our business connections for life will set you up. Kentucky's not going to sell that. LSU probably doesn't have that, but Notre Dame and Duke do well.
Speaker 1: Think about this. I saw someone tweet I don't know the exact number, is like the amount of former NFL players kids that are at Notre Dame now. Some of them like Bryan Young played at Notre Dame. His son Bryce, who I would bet on number thirty, the six foot seven pass rusher who's a backup right now, who's a true freshman being a future top ten pick in a couple of years. But if you're a former player and these guys now, guys that are fifty to fifty five years old. A lot of their children are blue chip recruits. If you play in the NFL long enough, you see how cutthroat it can be, how fast everything can end. You actually have a different perspective of just funnel to the best college. You know for football, Well, I want to go the best. It was a huge point of difference for Stanford for a long time. We can take you to the NFL, but we can also send you to Wall Street or Silicon Valley where you can probably end up making more money. So I think Notre Dame has that double edge, you know. I think Ohio State Mission again have always kind of had that because they've had you know, it's a really really good school and obviously they take football really seriously. But I think Marcus Freeman the recruiting standpoint, they feel just much faster than they did under the Brian Kelly. And now you watch totally agree at LSU, You're like, maybe he doesn't have a great feel Like one thing, Saban was the lead at he could just identify a guy future top ten pick. I mean, he was the best at it. And I think Kirby clearly followed Saban from that, and they're great at that but mostly like Ohio State at this point in time, kind of recruits itself and they have they can get anyone they want in the school whatever. Marcus Freeman's figuring out that speed they had on defense against Georgia. Yeah, these are mirror images of each other. Yes, And that's where Brian Kelly used to get overwhelmed. Remember the speed and the physicality. It's like, yeah, that's just a different level of pace.
Speaker 2: I also think the SCC has had the best and the most NFL bodies for twenty years. I think more than any conference in college football. They're getting raided and as you pointed out earlier, SEC teams do not have many times the level of boosters. I mean, I think the biggest Alabama booster I could be wrong is like Bear Bryant's son. I mean, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame. They just have certain Penn State have certain advantages. So I think when I watched SEC football this year, it just did not look as dominant, And I thought Notre Dame's defense and Ohio State's offense and Michigan's O line and D line last year looked better. My eye test, is it shocking that Sark.
Speaker 1: I mean, what an advantage he has because forever it's like house Texas going to be able to go into the SEC. Well they will because they have a huge bank account that's bigger than everyone else. Yeah, and they came right in SEC championship. Who's gonna pick next year? Sark's got to be a top one or two, you know, in terms of the preseason ranking in the SEC. For the foreseeable future. He has a massive advantage even just over Alabama and LSU. He's gonna lap them yeap.
Speaker 2: So Ohio State faces Texas, This game to me is fascinating. So I like Ohio State Texas. I could never wrap my arms around them. I struggle sometimes for them to get three straight good offensive series. I think they're hit and miss. They're very much a splash offense. They need big plays and they hit on them. I mean against Arizona State, back into a corner, they hit on a couple of big plays late. Who's facing more pressure, Ryan Day or Sark? So think about this. You know, Ohio State backed up the brinks truck twenty million dollars for this team. They look esthetically like the best team, and they have rebounded from that Michigan loss with two dominating wins. But again again, if they lose to Texas, people are going to say, when's the last time you beat Michigan. That's probably the worst loss in our program in twenty years. If Sark doesn't win a Natty, it'll probably be because we feel like his roster underachieved, because I think going into the season many felt that was the best roster. To you, who's the pressure on this game? Is fascinating? Ryan Day or Sark? Who's gonna get more shit when they lose this game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even think it's closed. I think it's Ryan Day. I mean Sark, Texas was dead and they're going back to back years in the semi finals and just he has the thing on an upward trajectory. He just had him in the SEC Championship year one. Ryan Day took over. You know, Uh, just a program that was rolling right full of NFL guys and he just hasn't quite got there now. The way they've looked the last two weeks, I don't see how they would not win the NACTUAL Championship if they can play like that two more times. But I think there's still a ton of pressure on Ryan Day. Now, if you're betting on this, you'd have to pick Ohio State to win it all. But I listen, Texas's roster isn't that much different than Ohio State. And unless Will Howard can just keep playing, is he just gonna keep playing like Peyton Manning in his prime, Because if he does, then they're gonna beat everybody. But if he has a bad game, Texas is really good on defense. You know it took Skataboo having one of the crazier halfs you've ever like. Eventually, Ohio State is just gonna play in a tighter game. I mean they have too just back to back absolute blowouts. What do they look like when they get in a little tighter game, Because we just saw him in a tight game against Michigan, they kind of folded and whatever Ryan Day has done and it was kind of easy, right, they had really got embarrassed. All those guys are returned, they got an extra week off and they came out and they showed out. But I do think one of these games, one of these last two games, I like Penn State against Notre Dame. I think Penn State is just a little more talented or at least equal to Notre Dame. But I like their quarterback more, at least the way, you know, from a throwing standpoint, and I think Penn State could beat him, and I think Texas, you know, in theory, could beat them. I'm picking Ohio State, but if I State wins the national championship, you beat Texas, then you beat Penn State or Notre Dame. Like that's that'd be really impressive, and then haters like me wouldn't be able to say anything about writing I always I already think Sark, like Sark's already kind of proven, like he's really good. Back to back semi finals, got arch Manning, got a team just loaded with guys that aren't even drafted eligible. I can't even imagine what they were transfer portal class is gonna look like whenever the season ends, like they're not going anywhere. I think this year was all about Ryan Day, the cash they had spent on the team. He got Chip Kelly makes three two and a half three million dollars a year. I think there was a lot of pressure on this individual team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, And I also think Sark, if he got heat, I think he's viewed in NFL circles as capable of coaching at that league. You know, for years Brian Kelly sniffed around at Notre Dame for the NFL, and I was told by an NFL GM that people thought he was a college coach, a really good college coach. Sark is viewed by NFL guys as like if Sark said tomorrow he loses to Ohio State and says I want the Chicago Bears job, he'd be a top three candidate immediately. I think the NFL. I mean, he was a coordinator in the NFL and a very good one. So I think I think Sark he.
Speaker 1: Works, doesn't it It just Sark Austin. It just feels like a pretty seamless fit right now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's he's He's got a big presence, and I think Sark is one of those guys people have criticisms for him, but if in any industry, if you keep getting hired by really smart people, I mean, Washington's a good program, US He's a good program. Texas is a good program. He's been the head coaching job. Nick Saban knows what he's doing, you know, like, really smart people and good programs keep hiring him. You know, it's like when Andy Reid got let go by Philadelphia. Forty five minutes later, he was on the phone with a Hunt family smart pee. Jim Harbaugh is always going to get work. John Harbaugh, he was available, would get work. I think Sark's one of those guys that's imminently hirable. I think his teams can be a little loose and lack a little bit of an identity, you know, the old thing the Patriots used to say, We're not a collection of players, We're a team. Sometimes sark teams can feel a little bit like a collection of a handful of really good players, not a team. And it's not I know he's a good coach. I know he's a great recruiter. But his teams can be a little loose for my taste sometimes, Like I think they throw too many jump balls up the sidelines. Quin Yours too often just throws it up for grabs. It drives me nuts. I hate that low percentage fades or corners. But I think I think I like Ohio State and Notre Dame. But I will say about Penn State Abduall Carter that rush end. If he's healthy, John, if he got drafted number one. I don't think it's crazy. I think he's so good.
Speaker 1: Don't They have a big advantage with the game getting delayed. They played, you know, basically two days before Notre Dame. Notre Dame then had to travel home. I think Penn States looked really good. I like Penn State in that game for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's crazy. They've got They've got four or five elite players. You know, James Franklin gets some shit because he can't beat the good teams. But you know, I would point out to you know, if you look at his record against top ten teams, Yeah, that was Georgia and LSU when they ruled college football. He was in Vandy and it was Alabama Georgia. So he was struggling at Vandy and now he's struggling with Ohio State and Michigan with Hardbaugh. It's like, guys, you have to contextualize James franklin struggles against top ten teams. It's been Jim Harbaugh Ryan Day. And when he was down at Vandy, he was facing you know, LSU teams and Nick Saban teams and the beginning of Georgia's teams.
Speaker 1: If he beats Notre Dame and Ohio State takes advantage of and you know, beats Texas. It is a pretty good opportunity given how well he knows. Ohio State plays him every year, played him, I mean the best they've ever played him. This year had a very good chance, obviously to tie the game at the goal line, and they ran it right up the middle. Their team physically given their quarterback, Like to me, the best NFL quarterback prospect playing right now is Drew Aller, And one advantage they have is they you know, these bowl games are not outside in frigid temperatures, and Tyler Warren has been dominant. The running back's been dominant. The question is a dual carter and the arm injury. You know in college they don't really have to talk about what the status is. But if he's healthy, how good does their front seven look. I mean, they are so physical, they got dbs, They are very very Both these two teams, you could argue all four someone's gonna get injured in these games. It's just like the NFL playoffs, and if you're the winning team and one of your impact players, that could be a huge problem. Chip Kelly mentioned this at the start of the playoffs. He's like, no one's really talking about this. The attrition of guys aren't used to playing this many games, and these are better teams. These are just more It's usually just one Bowl game. Maybe the final four was two. Now you're playing Ohio State would play four, Penn State would play four, Texas would play four. That's a lot of games on the bodies of twenty year olds, even if they are future top ten, top twenty picks.
Speaker 2: John Middlecoff, former NFL scout, that was a good hour. Put together almost an hour of good stuff. We head to the playoffs. John is always buddy. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Can't wait. Happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Thanks man the volume