Speaker 1: Want to keep Window using Windows ten after the deadline. Now there's a way at and T to pay one hundred and seventy seven million dollars for data breaches. How to claim your cut. A major car rental company is now using AI to spot damage and they'll bill you for it. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on rich dmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one Chemist stand and buy give me a call. If you have a question about technology email it's also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact guests This week mark you. He is the executive features editor at PC mag. We're gonna have some fun. He's going to share with Americans really think about tech etiquette, from snooping on someone else's device to using chat GBT to make your texts and emails and then later In the show, we've got Todd Weaver, founder and CEO of Purism. He's going to explain how his company is building privacy first tech products and also they're making a phone in the USA. We'll ask them how that's going. Well. I hope you're having a great day. This week. I attended a nine to one to one conference and picked up a pretty helpful tip. Whenever I learned something, I'm always like, Okay, I need to share this with other folks. This was the NINA nine one one Association. This is like a group of basically all the people that work in the emergency response field when it comes to nine to one one, right, the operators, their managers, just all those folks. They gather once a year and learn and see what new technology is available in their world. But one of the folks I was interviewing mentioned something just in passing and I was like, wait, what was that. It's called smart nine one one dot com. Smart nine one one dot com. So if you go to this website, you can create a safety profile that is linked to your phone number, and you can add information like medical info, allergies, any household details that might be smart for a dispatcher. To see when you call if you ever need to call nine one one. Now keep in mind you have to when you're calling. The dispatch center has to support this technology. And there are six thousand, it's nine one one centers in the US, and they all have varying levels of technology. Some are super old school, some are really high tech. Obviously depends on the city and the funding and all that good stuff. But you can actually go on smart none I'm on one's website and check to see if your area is one of those supported. So you can pop in your zip code and it will tell you. And i'd give you that website, but that one's a little bit longer, so you'll have to go to my website rich on tech dot tv for the link. But once you fill this out, they will see that information on your screen in addition to the standard information they might see. So I think this is worth setting up if you have some sort of medical condition or someone in your house does some sort of special circumstances. And then this got me to thinking in general, it's probably a good time to update your phone's emergency settings because all of these smartphones have emergency settings that can you know you've got to fill out your information. People can see this if they ever have you know, if they ever find you and you've got your phone on you, or when you call for help. Your phone can also send more information and again depending on the call center, they can see that information. So number one on the iPhone, go to settings and there's an entire section called Emergency SOS. Look in there, review your emergency contacts. Make sure you have that set up. Then you can open up the health app on the iPhone, tap your profile and select medical ID and you can fill out all of your information for your medical ID, any allergies, you might have your weight, height, whatever you want people to know if they were to find you with your smartphone. And this is something that can access from your lock screen even if your phone is locked, but you have to toggle on show when locked. And then there's also an option to share during emergency call. So again it's kind of like that smart nine on one system I was talking about, but this comes directly from your phone. That information is pushed to the nine one one operator if their system supports it. On Samsung, go into your Settings, there's a section called Safety and Emergency. Again, you can fill out your medical info and your emergency contacts, and they have a very similar setting called show on lockscreen and then share during emergency calls and texts? Did you know you could text nine one one in a lot of places? So I was asking, I was talking to a lot of people about texting nine one one. So of course, always call, right, you always want to call. Ideally that's the best way to get in touch with nine one one. But if you are in a situation where texting is better, and let's say there's someone unannounced in your home, you're in some sort of domestic dispute, you are you know, in a closet somewhere hiding, you don't want to make a phone call. That's when you would text nine one one. Now, a lot of these nine one one centers can accept that text, but if they can't, it will immediately bounce back your text and say, hey, we can't accept this text. You got to call. So but it's worth it if you're in one of those situations where you cannot call, So remember that. Now, if you have a Pixel phone from Google, they also have a lot of emergency settings on there. So if you go to settings safety in emergency, they've got this personal safety app and it is filled with all kinds of stuff. Go into your info, fill out all your medical info. You can toggle on the visibility options like I mentioned earlier. But again, just kind of taking care of this stuff now could make a huge difference in a real emergency. So be prepared. Hopefully you never need to know any of this stuff or use any of this stuff. But you know, I've had to call nine one one once. I remember one time, specifically during an emergency situation with one of my kids, and your brain goes to jelly. It actually reminded me. I know this is silly to make this reference, but I was on the prices right many years ago, and it was the same exact way my brain felt. My entire brain was just gobbledy gook up there like it just like imagine a jello just like floating around like jiggling. That's what my brain felt like when I called nine one one. You are out of body, you are not thinking clearly. They're asking you questions you don't even know the answers to them. And so being prepared now and have that information pushed to nine one one, the more information the better, and it's it was really interesting to me. We've been trained so long now on TV and movies that when you call nine one one, they immediately get that lock right on your location. Like it's just like this little system like bing bing bing. There they are. That's not always the case. A lot of times, depending on the technology they're using, it may be triangulated from the cell phone companies, you know, depending on how exact they their systems are. Now the systems have gotten a lot better, and our smartphone send a lot of data to the call center, so that's a great thing. So the point is, all of this stuff is really helping save a lot of lives, So it's a good thing. I'll put all that stuff on my website. Rich on tech dot TV. Another story, my kid getting ready for the show today. My kid comes running into my bedroom. Dad, did you know that Windows is getting rid of the blue screen of death? I'm like, Tanner, what, what what makes you care about that? He's like, I don't know. That thing's iconic. It's been there forever, and he's right, it's been. I mean, I can't believe it's been nearly forty years. But yeah, apparently Microsoft is changing the blue screen of death to black in Windows eleven, and the new black screen of death will remove the frowning face and the QR code. This is being widely reported it'll still show some information at the bottom of the screen for it professionals, but I guess for us everyday folks. They're just trying to make Windows easier to troubleshoot simpler. And this is gonna arrive later this summer with some sort of new quick machine recovery feature. But you know, if you've been using Windows for a long time, you might be shocked the first time you see this, because the blue screen of death has been a staple since the eighties. And I personally, I'm one of these people that loves seeing any sort of fail screen around town. So if I am, like, you know, at the fast food place or at the airport, and you know, they're all running some sort of operating system in the background on these digital screens. So I have a whole collection of my Google photos of all of these. I call them fail screens where it's just like some sort of update window Windows isn't responding. You don't see it too much with the Apple stuff, but you know, you do see Android screens. But I love that stuff. I don't know why. It just gives you a little, a little behind the scenes into the world of like just nerds get a kick out of this stuff, right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: And also this is a big story. This week Windows ten users, Microsoft announced a way that you can get a free year of security updates. So if you are dreading that end of life support for Windows ten coming up in October, you actually can get a free year of security updates. And it's very easy to do. I will explain what you need to do. You have three options that will get you an additional lifeline of one year on your Windows so you can plan for a new computer in a full year. I'll explain that when we come back after this eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. I see folks that are already on the phone lines. We'll get to some of those up next and I'll tell you about that Windows ten extension right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Rick in Thousand Oaks. Rick, You're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm interested in transferring from paper files for household bills to digital and but when I look online, everything is just so complicated that it has scaling capabilities and trends, and it's clearly designed for business. And I just want to strip down homeowner one. And all I want to do is either in part the paperless thing or scan in a paper one and then put I wanted an ability to edit. I create a box on the document that I put down the check number of the date. You know how I paid it, when I paid it, and how much I paid. So I have a trail if there's an issue a year down the road or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well lost you there. That's pretty easy. I mean, this is actually funny because I was at the doctor yesterday and I was trying to bring up I scan all of my stuff, and I have for a decade now, every single paper everything that comes into my house gets scanned and put into a digital folder and so and it's really most of the time very easy to search through that and find the information you need, especially now with AI. But yesterday at the doctor and I wanted to find some results of a test I had a couple of years ago, and for the life of me, I could not find anything related to this. And I'm sitting there and I was embarrassed, and I'm like, I can't believe that this is happening, because I've done all my due diligence of scanning these things in and hooding them in. And I will tell you, it gets a little tricky with the with the keywords. Because let's say you use city Bank, right, and you put your city bank, every one of your credit card statements or your banking statements into this folder, and then you search City Bank at the end of the year. That's going to be tricky to find, you know, the exact statement that you want, because there's a million things that are that say City Bank in there. I will tell you, I think the thing that works the best with this is searching for the dollar amount in any sort of receipt or something. So, for instance, I've got a flex spending account or a health saving account, whatever you call it. But basically, if you go to the doctor, the bill is eighty two dollars and seventeen cents you paid on this debit card that your work gives you and then you might have to submit a receipt later on. Well, I've found that it's really easy once you scan that receipt to search for that amount eighty seven thirteen whatever it is, and it will come right up. So that works perfectly. To answer your question, Rick, I think what you need to do is just come up with some sort of cloud storage that you like and trust. So you can use Google Drive, you can use one Drive, you can use Dropbox, you can use iCloud. And once you do that, you establish I do a year system, so I'll do twenty twenty five and then I'll just dump everything into twenty twenty five and I'm feeling really good about it. I will put things in folders inside twenty twenty five, so like City Bank, Bank of America, American Airlines, you know, and I'll put every statement inside their individual folders, and then each person for my home. And if you want some ideas of the folders to come up with, just ask CHATCHBT say hey, what are some basic folders for household organization in my cloud drive, and it will give you a list of like the suggested folders, and then you can work off of that. You can also use an app like Evernoe, but that could get kind of expensive because they do have some great search features and they do have some great functionality of getting this stuff scanned in there. Of course you can annotate it, but it gets kind of expensive to actually store that long time, long term, whereas with something like a one drive iCloud your dropbox, you know you're getting some free storage and also you may be paying for that storage already. When it comes to annotating the PDFs or whatever you're doing, there are some websites that can help you do that. You can use something like I Love pdf. You have to remember, if you're using sensitive files, you probably want to do this locally on your computer. So if you're running on a Mac, you can just use the built in preview PDF viewer on your Mac and just use the annotation tools on there. You know, create a textbox and just type in, you know, paid paid this bill and the date that you paid it. Sometimes I'll just write on the bill itself and then scan it after that. And yesterday I was doing all of this stuff. So I have three three files systems in my home. One says, you know, take action, basically an inbox. The next one is to scan, I've already taken action, and the other the third is to shred. So basically, anything that comes into my home in the mail first goes into that top file folder, which which means I need to take action. That means I need to pay the bill, or I need to do something with that. If it doesn't need any action, I'll put it in that middle folder, which is just to scan, or if I'm done with the file, I'll put it in there, and then the third one is to shred it. So that's sort of my system. It works pretty well, except for yesterday when I actually needed to find something, but otherwise I find that it works really really well. And the good news is you can use your phone to scan in these files. If you open up on the iPhone the files app. It's actually really really easy. Open up the files app, go into a folder. Tap in the upper right hand corner. It says scan documents, and if you just hold your phone over paper, or if you just have it on a little tripod, you don't even need to do anything. It'll automatically scan that paper and then you can just move the next one in scan it, Move the next one in scan it, move the next one in it. You don't even have to like press any buttons or do anything. And on the iPhone, on a Samsung they also have and on Pixel I would just recommend using the built in Google Drive app. They've got a very similar system. If you open up the Google Drive app, there's a little camera icon in the lower right hand corner. You tap that and you can easily scan your documents using that and it works pretty well. I don't think the quality is as good as a dedicated scanner, which you know, the one that I have. Oh gosh, what is it the scanner I have, it's the IX Fidjitsu, it's the i X. Let's see which one is this. It's a little tiny one. It's like a FIDGETSU is a main brand that does it. I've got to find the exact scanner that I have there. But it's a it's a very simple scanner and it's handheld and it's like super easy. But there's a million scanners you can use your you know, you can use inkjet printer whatever you want, but just get these things scanned in and uh yeah, the search will help you out. Great question, Rick, Thanks for the call. Eight to eight. Rich One O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Earlier I was talking about all that information about security and nine to one one, So I put that all on the website rich on tech dot TV. All the links for what I mentioned is right there rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 1: Windows ten users, Microsoft announced this week you can get a free year of security updates. So a lot of questions on this show about what's called end of life support for Windows ten, which is ending on October fourteenth, twenty twenty five. No more security or feature updates after that date. It's been ten years for Windows ten if you can believe it, I can't. It's had a good run. But Microsoft is now offering a free year of extended security updates. If here's how you can get them. You have three ways. Number one, this is the new way you can use Windows Backup to sync your settings and files to the cloud. Now I checked this Windows Backup program. Basically, it's kind of like it'll just sink the folders, the desktop folder documents and pictures, your apps, so to remember the installed apps you have, the ones that you've pinned to like things like the taskbar. It'll remember your settings like Wi Fi passwords and things like that. So that is very simple, and you don't have to put a bunch of files in the desktop, the documents or the pictures. You can move them out if you don't want to take up all of your storage. You get I think it says five gigs for free, and so let's see here, Yeah, five gigabytes for free. I'm using one point nine on my computer. Now that's a test device, so it's not something I'm using day to day. But that's the first way and the easiest way to do it. Just all you have to do is toggle on Windows backup. Next thing you can do if you don't want to do that, is you can redeem one thousand Microsoft Rewards points. And you're like, wait, what are rewards points? Well, you might have them if you've ever searched, bing, or done a bunch of stuff with Microsoft, like, for instance, go to rewards dot bing dot com. I somehow have two nine hundred and five points available, so I can do the one thousand Rewards points to get the extra year, or if you don't want to do that, you can pay thirty dollars to enroll manually for that extra year of security updates. Now you can't do this just yet. You have to wait a little bit. Microsoft just announced this. They're going to send a notification to computers sometime in July or mid August for most people, so you've got some time. But now that you know you can do this, you can rest a little bit easy. You can know that you can use Windows ten for another year. Just by doing these two things, you'll get coverage through October twenty twenty six. Again, this is just security updates, no more features. If your computer can handle Windows eleven, I would suggest just updating to that. But if you've got some sort of special program you run, or you just have a reason why you don't want to go to Windows eleven or your computer can't support it, you can stick with Windows ten for another year. So again, easy ways to get this Three easy ways. Use the Windows backup, redeem a thousand Microsoft Rewards points, or just pay thirty dollars. This is for consumers only. Just remember that businesses have a whole separate program. But this is a really nice lifeline for folks that don't want to deal with getting a new computer or don't want to deal with the update. But I will tell you this. You have one year now from October. Start planning for a new computer. Right, don't wait until October of next year to buy the new computer. Start planning for that new computer. Let's go to Paul a Newport Beach. Paul bought the Kindle color Soft and he's got a review. Paul, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Why, thank you? Rich?
Speaker 1: Hey, So you love your Kindle? Which one did you have before this? The Oasis?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: I've had Kindles since twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: I started with the Kindle e Reader, then the paper White, and when the Oasis came out, I liked the bigger screen, so I went to the bigger screen and the page turning buttons, which I really liked. And my Oasis was getting a little long in the tooth. I was having to charge it every other day.
Speaker 1: Oh that's like mine right now. My battery is kind of shot on it. It's like every time I want to use it, it's like dead.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah. And the of course it has the micro plug for the USB and that's old fashioned too.
Speaker 1: The last of its kind in my house. That's the only thing.
Speaker 6: When the color Soft came out, I immediately ordered it. It was two hundred and eighty dollars. That's more than the Kindle Paper White, which runs from one hundred and sixty to two hundred dollars if you want the signature edition. Basically, what I've discovered is that the Colorsoft is essentially a paper white signature edition, paper white with a color screen. So what does that mean. It means that you can get your the cover of your book if you have the cover preview, and the books that you've read on the home screen and books that are suggested for you on the home screen in color.
Speaker 1: So it looks a little more modern overall.
Speaker 6: I would say, right, yeah, it looks modern, But I only read regular books. I don't read, you know, Japanese cartoon books or anything like that, so I don't really get a chance to take advantage of the color screen because all the prints in black and white, like.
Speaker 1: The graphic novels and all that, I don't read those. Okay, so if you've.
Speaker 6: Read I'm mostly into just print text. But what I do like is the battery life is incredible. I mean I can go an entire week without having to charge a thing, and I probably could go longer than that. And I use it two hours a day.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: The other thing I love about it is that it's it has a wireless charger, and mine came with the wireless charger. Is that included in the price?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: And I wasn't really sure I was going to use a wireless charger, but boy is it nice. The paper white signature edition does not come with a wireless charger, but it only runs about twenty eight bucks. And I would suggest that I also got mine with a leather cover because I found that the leather actually lasts longer than the other covers for it. Okay, So overall, I love the thing, particularly the battery life. It's got a little smaller footprint than the Oasis because although it's got a seven inch screen, it doesn't have the page turning buttons on the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no Kindle does anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no Kindle. Basically, like I said, this is a signature edition, paper white with a color screen.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here's my question. Here's my question about it because I've seen it in person, but I haven't spent a long amount of time with it. The text on the screen. Is it just as readable as the non color kindles.
Speaker 6: That's a tough question because I haven't put them side by side. I think it certainly works for me. Okay, the background of the page isn't exactly white. It's kind of a semi cream color, so I don't care for that quite as much, but I find it very readable. I guess the big question is would you rather just have a paper white signature edition or spend an extra eighty to one hundred dollars for having a couple of color features right and having.
Speaker 1: That color book on the front the cover. I mean, it's nice. It's not necessary per se, but certainly not and if you read anything like a comic book or a graphic novel, this would definitely be a good choice. But it sounds like you're pretty happy with it, reading two hours a day.
Speaker 6: I'm very happy with it. I like every time a new kindle comes out, except for this scribe. It didn't buy that too big a screen, and I wasn't planning on writing anything on it. But I buy the latest thing that comes out, and then I give my old kindle, usually to my wife, but she's got a paper white, and she's perfectly happy with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and I'm looking at the pricing, so right now, it's at two hundred and seventy nine dollars according to Camel Camel Camel. The cheapest it's been is two hundred and twenty five dollars. So my advice don't buy this right now because Prime Day is coming up on July eighth. Put it in your car and I can guarantee well, I can't guarantee you, but I can imagine that this will probably go on sale. The target price we're looking at is two hundred and twenty five dollars or less, which would be pretty good.
Speaker 6: That's a very good suggestion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know the kindle paper white will also be on sale as well. I'm guessing that's that's at one fifty nine right now. And let's see how much it's gone down to according to this Camel Camel Camel, Well.
Speaker 6: The one fifty nine ninety nine is the basic model. Oh, the one nine ninety nine is a signat tradition, and what that has is that has wireless charging.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's also with ads. So if you want no locksdown, you don't want the ad another twenty bucks, but that has gone down to as low as one thirty. So again, Oh, these things do go on sale. Of course, it's Amazon. It's Prime Day. They're going to put their own products on sale. Typically they put the older products on sale, like maybe the last generation of these things. But we'll see. I mean they sell a lot of kindles, all right, Paul. What kind of books do you like to read?
Speaker 6: I have a wide variety, everything from nonfiction to fiction, mostly fiction I got. I got started in twenty thirteen when I spent a good deal of time in the hospital after a dog bite, and I asked some of my younger friends what should I do. I can't stand daytime television, so they said, get yourself a paper white and read The Hunger Games. I've been hooked ever since. I've read hundreds of books on it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's amazing.
Speaker 6: I like young adult fiction. I like science fiction. My favorite book of all time is probably Where the Crawdads Sing?
Speaker 5: Oh Wow?
Speaker 1: Did you watch the Netflix movie?
Speaker 6: I did not. I don't watch the movies after I read the books.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the book is always better, as they say, it always is, all right, Paul, Thanks so much for the Kindle Oasis review. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 6: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Rich All right, get back to reading. I love to read on my kindle as well, I really do. My only issue is when I go to read at night and my kindle is dead, and then, of course what do I do. I just doom scroll on my iPhone and it's just like ugh or my phone. It just just depends on the phone. I'm using eighty eight rich one on one, eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one, rich on tech dot TV. Coming up, I'll tell you about the anchor, a new recall on anchor products. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Let's go to uh, let's go to Jim Jim in Prescott Valley, Arizona. Jim. Is this the Jim?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is the Jim. Is this the rich?
Speaker 1: This is the Rich? Oh my gosh, Jim Jim has been Oh my gosh. We actually we shot a story with Jim a couple of years ago, back when you lived in LA and anyway, friend of the show. Welcome, Jim. This is your first time calling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first time caller, longtime listener. Welcome. You were talking about Microsoft reward points. I use those and I can vert them the Amazon gift cards. Yeah, Mike, you don't need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Anyways, my question was, I'll be driving around in.
Speaker 1: The car.
Speaker 5: I want to remember, or I'll be listening to a cast or something, and I don't want to pick up the phone to send myself a reminder and sworn if you knew of an Apple Car Play app, or if I could text myself. If there's some way that without picking up my phone to send myself a.
Speaker 1: Message, Yes, there is, And I do this all the time the way that I do it. Now, do you wear an Apple Watch or no?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh you do? Okay, well, okay, I'll tell you the absolute best way. It is called Whisper memos. And I've got this downloaded to my phone and then it's got a little tiny they call them a complication on your Apple Watch. And when I'm in the car, you know I do not I advocate against using your phone in the car. This is just one tap on your wrist when you're safe, and you tap it and it starts recording and it uses AI to figure out what you're saying and so on the way over here, I always think of things that I want to say on the show, and so I will tap it, and I'm not kidding. It is so good, so good that so you just.
Speaker 5: Tapped a little thing on the side, or you tap the face.
Speaker 1: Of it, or you tap you add what's called the complication, so it'll be it looks like a little almost like a little wave form on your watch, and so you tap that, it will it will bring up the app and immediately start recording. That's the trick of this whole thing is that it's one tap. You're not sitting there fumbling, you're not trying to do voice commands. And then what happens is, this is the best part. Whatever you say gets transcribed and then email to you. So half the time, but by the time I'm done driving home or whatever I'm doing, I've forgotten that I even took a note. And then I get home, I go, oh, there's my note. And then the other thing, Jim, if you're listening to the radio or a podcast or an audiobook, you can use it to remember little tidbits from those things. And so I've got a whole bunch of things, Like I'm listening to a book right now, This person says something interesting, I'll just rewind for a second and then record on my watch and again it's all it's all very safe because it's it's just one tap on your watch and you're not really distracted in that in that movement obviously you.
Speaker 5: So it'll just listen to whatever audio is going on in the car, be it me or the podcast or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's really good, like it is. It is probably like, honestly, I don't even want to share it with you because it's that good. It's my secret weapon. Like I'm not kidding. It's it's like my wife's grandma used to have. I don't know if you remember this, but they used to have like a notepad that would like suction cup to the windshield and you can like write down notes while you're driving, because that's the kind of people they were. It's the digital version of that. And it's so good that I just feel like I'm like living in the future because I'm like, this is so like I didn't have this a couple of years ago, and now I do. Now.
Speaker 5: That sounds perfect because that's what I end up pulling over sometimes or I'll try to remember and I'll email myself or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if it does it that magically, Yeah, there is a you know, you can also do the thing with Siri. You can say, you know, take a note or create a note, or you can say a reminder. But the problem is twofold number one. That's going to go into your reminders, into your notes. You're going to forget about it immediately. That's number one. Number two, Siri is not very good at transcribing things, especially when it's complicated. So you're just not going to get the quality experience that you're going to get with this app. So again, it's called whispermeemos dot com. There will be I think there's a free level of service, but you'll probably have to pay. I think I pay thirty dollars a year for this. But when I tell you this is completely worth it is one hundred percent worth it.
Speaker 5: The other service, I've tried the notes thing and like, you get third in there and I forget about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's lost. The other thing I'll tell you since we're talking about this, is the other one I like is called email me, and it does have a it does have an Apple Watch complication as well. But the difference with that is I mean, I guess you could use it in the same way. I just feel like it's a little bit more complicated to use on the go. So on your phone, I do have it on my home screen, but on my watch, I prefer the Whisper Memos just because it's so good that I just try it. Just download it and try it.
Speaker 5: No, I will.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I switched from the Fitted to the Apple Watch a couple of months ago, so I'm still learning it. And I don't know anything about the complications, so that's something else I should beget to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you just go into your watch app on your phone, you can you know, you can find those complications. All right, Jim, thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 5: Perfect Thanks good to hear from you, and you bye bye.
Speaker 1: All right. I mentioned I was at the doctor. You know, I'm obsessed with my heart for some reason. That's just the way I am. I've done one of those calcium scans yesterday. I'm at the doctor. I'm like, hey, can you run a clusterol test? Why not? It's just I feel like the heart is this thing that is very important in our lives, right, I mean, that's the way I feel. But if you ever feel tightness in your chest, maybe a skipped beat, shortness of breath, it could be nothing, could be something more serious. But let's face it, we're not going to run to the doctor every time, and that's where tech comes in. So let me tell you about the Cardia Mobile six CEL. That's Cardia Mobile six L. This is the most advanced personal EKG you can get. It is FDA cleared to detect aphib one of the leading causes of stroke, and this thing is legit. It gives you six views of your heart compared to just one from most of the smart watches out there. That's six times the data and in just thirty seconds, right on your phone. Now, as someone who tests a lot of health tech, I can tell you this beats anything I've seen that's built into a wearable because it's compact, it's accurate. It gives you peace of mind at home, while you're traveling or between doctor visits. Here's the best part. It's just a fraction of the cost of a smart watch. All you have to do is put your two fingers on the sides and you can take your reading. If you want the more precise reading, you put one of the one of the corners on your ankle. It is very easy. You don't feel anything, doesn't you know, it doesn't feel weird or anything like that. It's very very easy. For a limited time, my listeners get ten percent off. Just go to Cardia dot com. That it's ka r DA dot com. Or you can search Amazon and use code ten six L Rich. That's the number ten six L Rich Cardia. Great little gadget. All right, Uh, coming up, I've got to tell you about this anchor recall. You might be saying, Rich, you just told me about that anchor recall last week. No, there's a new one. If you can believe it. Anchor is recalling five more power banks over battery safety. I will tell you how to identify those and what to look for and what you get if you have one eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four to one zero one back after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at eight eight eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get to the phone lines in just a second, but I want to get you up to date on this new Anchor recall, and the first one annoyed me, and this one is now disappointing me because many many tech folks, including myself have recommended Anchor products over the years, and now they're recalling an additional five power banks in addition to the one I told you about last week. So if you have one of these, do not use it. They say it's a small risk of fire or overheating, but it's still a risk, and this is a global voluntary recall. Five models the Anchor power Bank Model A one, two, five seven, the Anchor Power Bank with built in USBC cable Model A sixteen forty seven, Anchor Mago Power Bank, Model A sixteen fifty two, Anchor Zolo Power Bank Model A sixteen eighty one, Anchor Zolo Power Bank with built in USBC cable Model A sixteen eighty nine. If you have one of these, you got to check the model number on the back or the side of your device. Then you can verify the serial number online. Anchor is offering a replacement or a gift card if your unit is affected. You can go to the website rich on Tech dot tv for the link. It is Anchor dot com slash r C two five o six. Anchor dot Com slash r C two five o six. Make sure that you check the serial number if you have an anchor power bank they want you to bring. You can't just throw this in the trash. By the way, I keep adding a tea to that Household Hazardous Waste Center. And I know that's a lot of information, a lot of recalls. I will put that on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. Uh, let's see Naomi is at our wits end with Yahoo. What's happened in Naomi?
Speaker 7: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: A few months ago, I guess Yahoo did did a update?
Speaker 3: Yes, And all.
Speaker 8: Of a sudden, the email is all mixed up. We're not getting things in email, I mean, and then sometimes things people will say, oh, but you know, I sent that like three days ago, and then sometimes it will eventually show up, but mostly it doesn't. I'm looking at the at the email now, so we've got June twenty seventh, but I know that things have been sent today, not received. There's nothing there. And it goes back from from yesterday to June fourteenth. Then all of a sudden, it goes back to September of twenty four then.
Speaker 1: Hang on, hang on twenty three. What are you using to access this email?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 1: Yahoo like mail dot Yahoo dot com. Yeah, okay, And so you're saying, are you out of storage by any chance on this email?
Speaker 8: I don't think so, because it's not just a matter of not getting anything but the things then some things have ended up in the trash that were never put in the trash, things that were sent, you know, like somebody sends something. Instead of it going into the inbox, it goes into the trash.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, okay, well that's it's just.
Speaker 2: It's a mess.
Speaker 8: It's all mixed up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: And it says if you scroll down to the end, it says, looking for older messages, try checking the old tab. Yeah, I've done that. It makes no difference. Well there, we're not getting nothing's coming through.
Speaker 1: So if I send you an email, you're not receiving it. Correct, Okay, all right. It sounds to me that it sounds like you have reached your storage limit. Perhaps on your email it looks like okay, So what I would do is in Yahoo Mail click settings more settings, and then it'll show you how much storage you're using on the bottom left side of the settings page. That is what I would check Number one first. Now, the file of the emails not being sent or received. That's a problem because obviously, if you're using the web version of Yahoo Mail, there shouldn't be any reason why that would be happening except for the fact that you're over your storage and it's just stopped working. That's the only thing I can think of on that aspect of things. When it comes to things going into different folders or the trash or spam, I mean, that's pretty common. I would check to see if you have any filters set up on your Yahoo Mail that would be routing that email into the trash. It could be coming from someone that you blocked at some point. It could be you set up a filter and it's now just finding that email and it's going into that area. So I would check the filters as well. I would also go through and just look for big attachments on your emails, and you can delete a couple of those and hopefully free up some storage space. But I have not heard of a widespread Yahoo Email issue with it not working. I mean, millions upon millions of people use Yahoo Mail. I know it's not perfect. Believe me, I'm not sitting there. I'm not sitting here, you know, defending them. And they did do a giant redesign of their mail, and they're also doing AI now in their email, and so all of these things could be coming together for a perfect storm, Naomi, and that's what's causing some of these little issues. But it sounds like the things that you're describing, a lot of it may have to do with the storage, a lot of it may have to do with filters, a lot of it may have to do with the spam filtering. And so I think at the end of the day, the main thing that you want to work on your email is that when you send me an email, it goes through, and when I send you an email, it goes through. So you need to figure out why that aspect of your Yahoo mail is not working. And that is the number one priority right now. So I check the storage, see if you're over your limit that number one, and then you can begin to figure out all these other little pieces. But I feel your frustration. I get it. I understand sometimes these things seem really tricky and tough, but then it's something that's very simple that is happening. And believe me, I've found. I go into my spam now on a regular basis, I'm on Gmail and I go in my spam all the time. And I'm right here actually looking at my spam and someone that just heard us talking about something on the show sent me an email and it just went right to my spam. And by the way, it came from a Yahoo email address. So I don't know. Maybe there's some conspiracy theory, but that's the way. That's the way it happens sometimes. Good question. Hopefully you get that figured out, Naomi, keep me posted, send me an email if you can, and tell me if it works. We may not have Bobo for the rest of the show. I think he just just lost it. I'm being serious, you know. If she can send me an email here hello at richontech dot TV. If it doesn't come through, Naomi, I will check on you in a couple of days. Was dirty one am I favor? Hey, rich I'm having a problem with my email. I can't send my email. Well, send me an email. Let me know how it's going. What's she gonna do? Send me a smoke signal? I mean, come on, she's got to send an email. Go to the website. Rich On tech dot TV. You can submit. That's why I give people options on the website. They can send a direct email or maybe if your email is not working, you can use the form. Samsung getting ready to show off their foldables July ninth, that's when we are going to see the new foldables that they have in store. I cannot believe it's been a year since I went to Paris last year and saw the last foldables. Now we've got the fold seven, expected to be thinner than last year, external screen wider, thankfully, that's the main thing. This needed camera could get an upgrade to two hundred megapixels, a first for a foldable. Then you've got the z Flip seven, larger three point six inch cover display outside wrapped around the camera lens. And you know, the big thing about these is that Samsung keeps keeps teasing the idea of this ultra foldable. So they came out with that Galaxy Edge, which had the ultra kind of camera, right that two hundred megapixel camera. Now they're hinting at an ultra foldable. They're really getting a lot of mileage out of this two hundred megapixel camera lens, that's for sure. But the idea is that, look, you don't have to make sacrifices. You choose the form factor that you want, and you can still have a really good experience on this phone. So again, foldables have not gotten a ton of traction. Here in the US, it's growing, but it's a very small percentage of what Samsung does. And in the rest of the world they're pretty popular because you've got so many options from all these different brands. But here in the US, you've got either Google or Samsung. That's it. And the Samsung ones have been good, but they haven't been great as an alternative. Like if you're someone like me who wants a lot out of their phone, the foldable is great, but only in a couple of aspects, not all aspects. And so we'll see what happens July ninth. This is happening in Brooklyn, New York. And you know these are gonna be expensive. Foldables are still very, very pricey. That's the main drawback to them is that they are not cheap. We're going to break. I got a okay, we're gonna we're gonna Okay, before we go to break, let me tell you about this real quick spectrum raising prices on TV and internet, according to Cordcuttersnews dot com, two dollars a month price hike for Legacy Internet plans, five dollars a month increase on Spectrum select TV plans. Spectrum says rising costs and infrastructure and network maintenance is what they need to pay for. That's why. Let's see they had a three dollar apparently monthly price increase earlier this year. I don't know about that one. I can't remember that one.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But they also added a new perk Hulu, so I'll tell you about that when we come up after break, but price changes take effect after July twenty twenty five. Don't be surprised if you see that two dollars five dollars on your bill. Eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro here hang out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you're not following me on social media at rich on Tech on Instagram, I'm about to post a new scam email that Steve listener Steve sent me these things are wild. I am seeing more and more now of these scam emails that you click a link and it doesn't just bring you to a malicious website, It actually downloads a malicious file to your computer directly. I mean, that is wild. That is something that I've only seen once before. But this is really really scary stuff. So I'll post that to my Instagram at rich on Tech. I'm hitting post right about now. There it is. Let's go to Bonnie in Charleston, South Carolina. Bonnie, what's up?
Speaker 6: Rich I need to.
Speaker 9: Know if you can help me or I need to call an exorcist.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love it already. What's happening?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 9: So I am in an Alexa freak. I listened to all my radio you, especially on my Alexak the other day. All of a sudden, she starts talking to me in a very low voice. I had to put my ear close to the echo to hear her. It was some woman who was doing some writing. She was talking about what she was going to write and how she was going to punctuate it, and I tried to listen. Of course, I called my husband over. He thought it might have been the lady that might have died in the house before we bought it off. And I'm wondering, had you ever heard of these alexas maybe picking up some bluetooths stuff from someone else's home, or information of somebody else talking.
Speaker 1: I have not looking up hold on, I got to search how to exorcist an alexa? You know this is a new one to me. Now here's the thing. I have heard stories about these echo speakers going a little nutty and people hearing things from them. How certain are you that you heard or something coming out of the speaker and not somewhere else around the house or another source.
Speaker 9: You know, this is very weird, Rich, because now I'm losing you. So now I'm really scared.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, how long have you had this echo?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: This is an old one. I've had this one probably for maybe eight or nine years. I've got all the new ones too, but this is the old tower one, the very first one that I got, and and so it's been it's been a while.
Speaker 1: So you would you would consider it an old soul?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh, do we lose her? Do we lose Bonnie? Well, here's the deal. Bonnie I'm concerned. I am if your if your device is kind of acting a little odd. I mean, I guess my solution would be to do a factory reset. But personally, I mean, I mean, unless you're not scared of this thing, I would I would see if it happens again. And you know, I will tell you these speakers that listen all the time, they do kind of have some interesting and odd reactions to things that happen in your home. So the sort of sane solution, or I guess explanation would be that it heard it thought it heard a keyword, you know, like alexa, and it activated and it played something that was some sort of audio that you heard, whether it was a podcast, whether it was a radio show, whether it was some piece of audio or information. That is my guess. Maybe you were talking about ghost stories in your home. Maybe you're talking about something related, and it fired up a podcast about that, and people on that podcast were talking very quietly about that. That's sort of the logical explanation. The other side of me says, get this thing out of your house with a long stick and and literally bury it. That's that's that's the other side of me telling you I mean like make sure, like pull the power plug. I would pull out the insides. Whatever you can do to make sure this thing does not come back to life. You've had it for nine years. I think that's a pretty long run. But yeah, I mean the other thing you do is just see if it happens again. You know, you don't have to do you have to go that extreme. You just see if it happens again. Oh my gosh, what's happening here? What is what is? Oh my gosh? Okay eight to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Yeah, these things, I'm telling you these speakers last night house. Actually, I was trying to use my Google you know, I was like, hey Google, and it kept I had my phone right in front of me, and it kept firing the speaker that was like ten twenty feet away, and so I kept getting closer closer to my phone. I'm like, hey Google, and it just kept doing the speaker for the response. I'm like, this is insane, like what is happening here? But I did something kind of wild. I pulled out an old Pixel eight pro which has been sitting collecting dust for you know, probably a year and a half. Now, let's see when did that? When did Pixel Pixel eight pro launch date? Release dates? Let's see when that came out October twelfth, twenty twenty three. Fired it up, turned it on, did the software update? The thing still works perfectly. Don't get rid of your old phone unless you have a reason to upgrade. These things last for effort. All right, coming up, we're going to talk about some of the most annoying things people do online and with technology. Right here, I'm rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Just taking a look at the emails we're getting today. Not one from Naomi yet, but I think she's still working on that. We've we've heard of exorcists. I mean apparently exorcists is like there's stuff taking over email, stuff taking over the Alexas. I don't know what's happening here today, but we have a fun topic right now. We've got Mark yarn from executive features editor for PC mag Mark, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks Rich thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. So you recently wrote an article about tech etiquette, and this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've been covering technology for a long time. I'm sure some people think that I'm rude sometimes I'm looking at my phone whatever, But I've got a lot of thoughts on what other people do. And what was your biggest finding about Number one, device snooping, Well.
Speaker 2: Device snooping was interestingly, we surveyed two thousand adults in the US, and ninety two percent of them said it was unacceptable to snoop on a friend or a family member's device. But that goes down to eighty four percent when you're talking about a partner's device. So there's there's obviously slightly different sets of rules for some people when it when it comes to a lover as opposed to a loved one, I suppose, and then even more granular, one in four millennials think it's acceptable to snoop through a partner's device. So that's like, you know, twenty five percent of millennials think it's okay, oh wow.
Speaker 1: So that yeah, they so basically all if you're what is a millennial, I don't even know, is that like what what ages?
Speaker 2: Let's say slightly yeah, they're probably in their thirty slightly older than I'm Gen X, But they're slightly older than when gen Z, so they're the generation up.
Speaker 4: So oh thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, so right in that things that would be acceptable, right like okay, answer my phone, do this whatever, airing like your pin code with your you know, your spouse or whatever. I think I think you are giving up a level of privacy because you know that they can access your phone. But I think the assumption for some people would be that you're only going to use that for the things that would be acceptable, right like okay, answer my phone, do this whatever, not just like full on look through my phone.
Speaker 2: I mean I would I would guess that would be the hopeful arrangement between two people to two adults.
Speaker 4: But you never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think some of it speaks to I mean, you know, I talked to a couple of etiquette experts for this article that was based on the survey we did and which you can be at a PC mag dot com and what people are you know. What the etiquette experts seem to say was that you know, I mean, obviously you probably your family and friends, you've known them for a lot longer, perhaps than you're your current person you're dating, so they're a little more sacrosanct as far as looking through their device. You know, we've all heard the horror dating horror stories and people having you know, cheating and having multiple partners you know which is which is fine, but not in a non consenting way. So you know, I think there's a level and a plus.
Speaker 4: This is somebody you don't know.
Speaker 1: What about kids though, I mean, if you have a kid, don't you think it's tell.
Speaker 4: Them, Oh, you're not gonna tell.
Speaker 1: No when I'm home alone. Oh my gosh, when I'm home alone all day long. My kids iPads. My kids, as long as they're under my roof, is his old man to Hero. Now you're under my roof, you're under my rules.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, as long as there's that understanding, I tell them, Oh, you're not gonna tell.
Speaker 1: No when I'm home alone. Oh my gosh, when I'm home alone all day long. My kids iPads are going off with all these texts they're in. You know, these kids are in group chats with their entire class at school. I mean, it's it's a whole different world than when I was growing up, right Like for me, I was just wondering what all the cool kids were doing. Now they're all texting in a group chat.
Speaker 2: For half, about fifty of US adults say that sending and receiving a text or email written by chat gypt or another generative AI is unacceptable. So that's about you know, a little over half. But millennials and Gen z are far more accepting that. They're a little more than half of them think that it is okay. We're using chat ept and you know text.
Speaker 5: By chat.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: They've they've latched.
Speaker 2: Onto it, especially since their school age, and probably can get away with, you know, or maybe not get away with writing their papers.
Speaker 1: Let's let's don't write your papers with that. So I I've started doing this, So I use chatch ebt as my co pilot for a lot of things, and I get a lot of emails from people. But what I found is I can say, I use like voice to text, and I will say what I want to as my high and then chat chip just polishes it up and it like makes it sound a lot nicer than me saying yeah, toggle that switch off on your computer. Like I can just say that, and chat chibt will say, like thanks for writing, and then it'll say what I said and just put it into a nicer format. So to me, it's just polishing. It's just like a better version of me, right, Like, I'm sure quick.
Speaker 4: You're outsourcing your plate.
Speaker 1: In this basically yeah, pretty much. When it gets too flowery, When it gets too flowery, I'm like, no, chat chi t Like, let's make that I'm not that nice bobo nos, Okay, then.
Speaker 2: What about I'm sorry, I just wanted to add. But the thing with this is obviously we've only you know, had generative AI really in the popular conscioustes for a couple of years. Now in within you know, five years, ten years, you know this this could be skewed, Like you know, eighty percent people think it's okay. I mean if if you're like on the run and something and I get it, well, I would object. I'm a writer, so I object to anyone using chat GPT to pump up your prose.
Speaker 1: But Mark, I ran your article through through our CHATCHYBT checker and it was like nine percent CHATTYBT. No, I'm just kidding. Oh my god, but you heard that story of that writer who you know, so many writers are using this that they're not fact checking, and it's like it's a problem. I mean, CHATBT says things that are true and not true in the same exact way, and you, if you don't know any better, take it as truth. And that's the problem with all these things. So you got to be very careful. All right, phone, you story in a conversation? What about that? Like you know, I see this all the time, someone's telling a story and the person just looking at their phone.
Speaker 4: Right, are you looking at your phone?
Speaker 2: I can't see you, Okay, looking at you consideration.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Well, oh there you are.
Speaker 2: So seventy five percent of US adults say this is unacceptable, but as you would expect, gen Z find it is okay. And that's because they're like digital natives. This is like digital first, like you know, obviously, and I don't like to paint gen Z with a broadbrush or anything, but you know, they're generation infamous for not like wanting to actually pick up the phone and talk to anyone. So texting is like a more immediate way of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking to someone. This is when they're talking to someone. So if you're at dinner, yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: At dinner and you're texting, that's ridiculous. Like I I've probably been guilty of that one. I'm not gen z, but I've been guilty of that one myself, with much to the chagran in my wife.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, here's here's here's another side of this. This is my biggest pet peeve. When I'm talking to someone and I understand we have smart watches, but it's like you're literally getting a message on your smart watch and you're looking at it the whole time, like every ten seconds while I'm talking you. I'm sorry, but if I'm talking to you, I want your attention. That's the bottom.
Speaker 4: N No, I don't blame you. I don't blame you. The watch thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like you can do it like more immediately, and mean I wouldn't say surreptitiously because it's pretty obvious what you're doing. But there's less, there's less I have to at least pick up the phone from the table, and you know, with the wrist, I just I can just flick it and then there it is.
Speaker 1: So what I do is I just say to the oh, yeah, I'll just say I'll wait, That's what I say. I just look at them right in the eyes, I go, oh wait, and it's you know, it's just I mean, obviously depends who it is. I probably wouldn't do that with my boss, but like you know what I mean, like it, it depends who the person is if you have a good relationship with them. And here's the thing. We are human. We are supposed to connect as humans, and I really believe that, especially in this world of like oversaturation with social media and flipping through TikTok and all this nonsense that people do on a daily basis, when you are with another human, give that human the respect of being there with them, because that is probably the most magical part of life we have left. Like everything else is just like you know, AI generated stuff everywhere you go. So when you're with a human, give the respect to that human. All right. Finally, speakerphone usage. This is another one. You see people talking on their phone or listening to music just out and about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, eighty two percent of people find that playing music out loud without headphones such should be the point we make here, which is just rude, you know, is unacceptable. I mean I live in New York City. I take the subway. There are people doing this all the time, you know, just keeping that. I mean, the subway is probably not the harst or you've heard on the on the local news, but it's it can definitely be irritating with somebody who's listening or speaking on speakerphone and about like you know, three quarters of people find this unacceptable for like doing FaceTime or a phone call on speakerphone and like the in the growth three store or something. I find it highly annoying, but you know a quarter of the people don't see them to have a problem. I mean, obviously the rules are always changing when you're the one doing the action usually, so like if you do it, you might be annoyed by other people doing it, but when you know you're the one, you know, it's just a minor inconvenience.
Speaker 1: But for else around me, I've I've seen, like when I'm out on a run, like some people will be driving by on their bike or riding by in their bike. They'll have like a boom box like on their bike, or they're on a hike and they just listen to their music out loud, and I'm kind of like, you know, if you're just passing me, it's fine, but if we're like together the whole time, that's definitely not ideal. Mark. We're gonna leave it there. Mark y Arm at PCMag dot com. The article is gen z and boomers agree this is the rudest thing you can do with your smartphone. Check it out on a screen near you. Thanks for joining me today, Mark, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Rich stay off your phone.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're going to talk about a major car rental company using AI to bill you for even the tiniest scratches. That's coming up right here are rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. Lines are open. Let's go to Susie in Temecula. Susie, what's up? You're on with Rich Goody?
Speaker 11: So, Wendy are going to be traveling around in our fifth will My boyfriend still works, but we need some sort of a mobile internet that can go with us, that has more power than your regular phone hot spot.
Speaker 1: Okay, whoa, oh, what's happening there? So you want you basically want a way to keep in touch in the fifth wheel.
Speaker 11: With the computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you don't you don't want to use your phone's hot spot because I mean, it just it's not going to.
Speaker 7: Be enough power.
Speaker 11: Okay, I don't know what the wording is, but we need something a little stronger.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now what are you going to be doing with this? What are you going to be doing with the internet.
Speaker 11: He's going to be working online on his work program.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, look there's I mean, your hot spot. Ninety nine percent of the time. If you're looking for the cheapest way to do this, hot spot is going to be the cheapest, easiest way to do it. If you don't want to use that, and I would say, you know, I would say try the hot spot because you'd be surprised how well they work nowadays, especially with you know that the networks are really good, the signals are really good, the speeds are really good. So I would say, if you upgraded your plan on Verizon or T Mobile AT and T to give you the most hot spot, like one hundred gigs, usually it's pretty good. It works really well. Now, if you don't want to do that, what I'd recommend as an alternative is one of these five g home systems. So the two that I would look AT is from Verizon and also T Mobile. So Verizon is called five G Home Internet. T Mobile is Let's see, let's see what there's is called home Internet five G very simple similar. So what you do is you buy this little box. It's basically a more powerful hot spot, so it grabs the cellular signal in from the air and then it broadcasts it out as a Wi Fi signal. So Verizon is you know, they're advertising pretty good prices on these things, and so you can get a really good price based on where you are and what you're doing, and there's no contracts or anything like that. So I would check to see Verizon. You have to check it at your home address see if they offer it, and then you also have to check to see if you can use it in a mobile setting. Back in the day, they weren't really allowing people to do that. I think it's that's been lifted a little bit. But just call them to make sure that if you using this around town and in different places, they're not going to cut you off. But you've got basically very similar services. AT and T offers one. But I would not recommend even looking into that because theirs is in very very limited areas. T Mobile and Verizon T Mobiles in the most. I would say Verizon's in the second most, and then AT and T is like just barely there. So that for some reason they're only offering it really where they don't have fiber Internet or in places where they just I don't know why they're not just offering it everywhere, but I would look at those two, So you can go to T Mobile five G Home Internet, Verizon five G Home Internet. And then the third way obviously is Starlink, and that is satellite Internet. So Starlink is going to give you a connection no matter where you are in the US, as long as you have a clear view of the sky. It's probably going to be your most expensive option out of all of these. But they do have a new one called Rome, which is you know, you can connect anywhere while traveling. And so let's let's see how much that is. So if I go on their website, Yeah, so the the just to get the equipment is going to be four hundred dollars plus taxes, and then you're gonna pay Let's see, looks like it's about fifty dollars a month for fifty gigabytes. If you want unlimited, it's one hundred and sixty five a month, so you're talking four hundred dollars for the actual starlink Starlink Minikit fifty dollars a month for the service, So that's the most expensive option, but it's gonna be the most thorough, and it's gonna get you signal everywhere, and it's probably gonna be the fastest. So again, just options, many, many options here. Those are the three that i'd recommend hotspot. Try that first. You'd be surprised. You'd be surprised if the hotspot works. The downside of all these things is let's see here, can I think of a downside? Not really. As long as they allow you to go on the on the road with these things, you'll be fine and you can get that connection. The other thing is Amazon On is set to start their satellite internet later this year. So at some point they said it's going to be by the end of the year. Now what does that mean exactly, We don't know. It could be one one plan by December, but I wouldn't look into that. But that's going to be called Project Kuiper, and that's going to be launching later this year, so there's gonna be a little little competition for Starlink towards the end of the year. Susie and Temecula, thanks so much for the call today. I appreciate it. I hope you have fun. They're out on the road Hurts now using AI to scan your car for scratches. They've got AI damage scanners at over one hundred major airports this year. They're rolling them out starting with Atlanta. This is from the blog view from the wing. Cars get scanned at return using high tech UVI portals kind of like an MRI, but for vehicles. Detects tiny issues, uneven tire wear, windshield hairline cracks, small scuffs, so I think this is probably for the benefit of the car maintenance, but also they can bill you if there's an issue. One customer got a four hundred and forty dollars bill for a one inch scuff, two hundred and fifty dollars for repairs, one hundred ninety dollars in fees. Uh wow. Hertz is offering a small discount if you pay first, but if you dispute the charge, the clock keeps tipping ticking. That's amazing. Customers are being caught off guard. Best advice take photos or video of your rental when you pick it up and you drop it off. That is great advice. Eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Get those calls in. Welcome back to rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here hang out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we've got Todd Weaver, founder and CEO of Purism. They are a mobile phone company that's making privacy first phones and they also make a phone completely in the US, so it'd be an interesting conversation with Todd. Notice there was a Wall Street Journal article about him as well, So making the rounds right now. This was really interesting. I'll get to the phone lines in just a second here, but this was really interesting and I think it's a reason why you got to be very careful about your phone. The spark Kitty is malware that quietly steals photos from iPhones and Android devices. It was delivered via malicious apps in Google Play, Apple App Store, and trojanized versions of TikTok. Now here's the thing on Android, it used hidden code in apps on iOS because you might be thinking, rich doesn't iOS have a closed, you know, app store that you know you can't just install anything on there. They went around that. So if your company you can get there's these little there's a way that you can install apps on your employees' iPhones enterprise pro system, and they snuck that in through there. So I mean the point is these hackers will figure out ways of getting around all of the rules. And so the reason I tell you this because I don't think you have this on your phone, but this software, once it got on people's phones, it seeked out screenshots basically of anything that might be important sensitive information, financial information, especially crypto wallet seed phrases. These are basically the backup phrase that you use to get into your crypto wallet and you have to save that in a safe place. What do most people do They take a screenshot of it. Well, who would have thought that this app would come through and look through all your pictures to try to find any of this information. So number one, only download apps from trust to developers. Now, if you know what you're doing on Android, you know that you can sideload apps on there. You can sideload what's called an ape. I do it. I know other people do it, but it's something that you have to be very careful about if you don't know what you're doing. On iPhone, it's very tough to install an app that's outside the app store. But we've seen examples of apps in the app store that are not so good. So be careful and then review permissions carefully. And this is why your phone says this. If you've noticed on both iPhone and Android, when you install an app that wants access to your photo library, it now says access to all photos or access to limited photos. Now I get it. If you say limited photos, it's a pain. Every time you want to feed a photo into that app, you have to press the photo and select it. Versus some apps. You know, if you're using a cloud backup back app, of course you want to have access to all your photos. But the point is if you're using a random app. Let's say you download an app like an AI app that turns your photo like it takes a picture of you and turns it into like a clown or whatever you want. Right for that app, would I would use the option that says allow limited app access to my photo library. You don't want it to have access to every picture in your photo library. That's what these things can do. They can scan all of them. And we've heard about apps scanning photo libraries for things like metadata and using that information. So you have to be very, very careful about the permissions you give on your phone. It used to be when an app was downloaded, it just had carte blanche. It could do whatever it wanted. Now, if you notice, the operating systems are locking down apps more and more to just be able to do certain things. Get your location, oh, precise location, approximate location, location all the time, just sometimes photos, all photos, some photos, so all contacts, some contacts. There's a reason behind the madness for all of this stuff. Let's go to Mary in Winchester. Marry your on with rich.
Speaker 10: On Highrich thanks for taking my call. I hope that you don't have to done this down too much for me. I'm not super tech savvy, but I'm having an issue. I just from an iPhone eight to the iPhone sixteen and ever since then, I can't seem to connect the car play.
Speaker 1: Okay, Apple car Play in my car? What are you using the same cable that you used to use.
Speaker 10: Yes, okay, well I no, I take that back. I'm using the cable that now I don't have the lightning anymore. I used the one that goes to the sixteen.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you're the USB c correct? And where did you get the cable from Apple? Okay? So the one that came in the box.
Speaker 10: That iPhone, I mean, yeah, it's a phone, okay.
Speaker 1: So and your car supports USBC. So you have a USBC on like the tiny one on one end, the tiny one on the other end.
Speaker 10: No, it's a us USB on one end, and then the tiny USBC.
Speaker 7: On the Okay.
Speaker 1: Now that didn't come with the phone though, Oh.
Speaker 10: Okay, well it's one. It's one that I had on my back. Okay, so my iPad and staff.
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted to know, Mary. So that is the problem. So in my experience, it is it's really what year's your car? Just out of curiosity, that's twenty one, okay. So here's what's happening. And I noticed this with my wife's car and a couple other folks, a couple actually a bunch of people, a bunch of my friends and family members all came to me, said Rich, I can't get car play to work. And I said, hold on, let me let me swap out the cable. And the reason is the cars were created years ago before USBC, so they're using USBA and then the phones are using USBC. Now, typically you would think that that would work, no problem, but for some reason, only certain cables work with these with this connection. So a couple of recommendations. If you don't mind spending let's see how much is it nineteen dollars, you can buy the official Beat USBA to USBC cable and that will almost ninety nine point nine percent work in this situation. Okay, that's okay. From Apple, it's the Beats USBC USBA to USBC woven short cable eight inches. It's basically meant for CarPlay.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, So that's apparently that's not what I've been using. Is that certain brand.
Speaker 1: Right, you've just been using? The problem is, what I've noticed is the cable matters. When you're going USBA to USBC for CarPlay, the cable makes a difference. I don't know what the deal is, but I can take five cables into your car and out of all those five cables. Even though they all do the same thing, only two will actually power CarPlay.
Speaker 10: And so that is so going to the Apple store and getting that cable will help me.
Speaker 1: I think that'll solve your problems. I already know from a listener that called in and had the same problem, or actually someone emailed me. We did a couple of troubleshooting. They had the same issue. And if you don't want to go into the store, I've got a cable on Amazon that will do the same thing. It's sixteen ninety nine and it's USBC to USBA and it's a coiled cable, but you get two in that in that price. So I would say personally, if you have an Apple store nearby, you could just easily go in and get this one. It's it's gonna work. If it doesn't work, you can return it, no big deal. You've got fourteen days. But that is that's the problem, Mary, and I think it's going to solve all your problems. Well not all, I mean just the car Play problems. Does that work for you? Okay? Well I think we I think well, I think my job is done. What are the chances that we have two people from Winchester California. Right now, we have another caller from Winchester. Anyway, this is the thing. So with this, with this whole USBA to USBC transition. If you got a car, car play has been working just fine. You get the new iPhone. You try the same cable, it doesn't work. You're sitting there pulling your hair out. It's a different cable. Go to your house, look at all the cables you have that are USBA to USB c and try them. If none of them work, you might have to buy a new cable. But that is really it's just this weird thing that some of the older cars just don't like to play friendly with these new phones. Let's see here, we got an email from Paul says, Hey, Rich, I really enjoyed the podcast. Can you please tell me what model High Sense TV you have? Thanks Paul, Paul, I have I have to check in my email here. I have the High Sense you eight and I will tell you how much I paid for it if I can find that email. High Sense U E. I'm not kidding. I ordered this thing off Best Buy in an afternoon and it was in my house set up within two hours. I mean, I could not believe how fast. This was since se and you know how tough it is to type and talk on the radio at the same time. It is impossible. Let me just see if I can find it High Sense Okay, trying to find my order from Best Buy. Okay, here it is. I ordered it. Oh, I ordered it for Super Bowl Sunday. How stereotypical of me. Yeah, I got it in time for Super Bowl Sunday. High Sense UA looks like I paid what I paid, eight hundred and ninety nine bucks for this thing, So it's still on sale. It's right now ninety nine. That may be cheaper over Prime Day. You can get it in a whole bunch of sizes. I went with sixty five, you can go seventy five. But apparently they have a newer version of this TV, so Paul, if you're looking to buy this, you might want to look into the new version, which is the High Sense UA N What does END stand for New, New and improved? But the one I have is just perfect. In fact, last night when we sat down to watch TV, it runs Google TV, which I really like, and it said, oh, you got a software update all these new features. So even a phone, a TV that's a year old still getting new features, which is pretty cool. And the Google software it's good enough for IM not running a separate streaming device with this TV, so it's pretty good. And they just added a whole bunch of new stuff which makes it even better anyway. High Sense you eight is the one that I have. Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. Let's tell you how you can listen to the radio on smart glasses. Right here, I'm rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. iHeartRadio now streaming on ray Ban Meta glasses, So if you want to hear me through your glasses, just update them. You can listen to live local stations, playlists, podcasts, all hands free, all on the go. Works on iOS and Android. You just have to make sure that you update your glasses and do a quick setup. You have to go into the options and make sure iHeart is your default app for music and radio voice searches. So kind of cool. I have not tested this just yet. I've got my ray bandmetas to test it out. But it's the only audio app. There's a bunch of audio apps available on the ray bandmetas like you can use Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever, but this is the only one that gives you live radio stations. So kind of cool, kind of awesome. These glasses are, I would say, the sleeper hit of twenty twenty four or wait, what year is it? No, twenty twenty five, twenty twenty five? Where am I? And they just did Oakley So now they have the Oakley's and the Metas. But I was in Mexico and at that electronics show I was talking to this guy who makes another brand of these glasses. Oh gosh, I gotta remember the name of them, but they I think they were called It's a funny name. I get D dot com. I get D dot com and they're get D glasses. But they basically have a lot of these features in them, a lot of the CHATCHYBT and stuff like that built in. They don't have a camera. But he's telling me he's selling four four hundred pairs of them a day in the Mexico market, four hundred a day, So people, these smart glasses are really really They're hot. All right. Now, let's go to Oscar and Winchester. Oscar you've got a bone to pick with me.
Speaker 7: Huh, well sort of.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: First thing, do you have a phone number for Microsoft like support? Oh gosh, that I can get help with without Look.
Speaker 1: I mean there are there are. Let's see if they have a I mean it says contact, but it looks like I don't have it. I don't think they put a phone number on their website per se that I can find really quickly. Yeah, I'm looking, but I don't. I don't see that it's like one of these.
Speaker 7: If I contact them through those contacts, it would probably they would probably send me an email response.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't really see a phone number. And you got to be very careful because all those Tech support phone numbers, like if you just go will that you would get a whole bunch of phone numbers. You do not want to call those numbers.
Speaker 7: So get to the wrong play.
Speaker 1: I know that they will scam you.
Speaker 7: Let me update you on on the revo On install that you gave me last week to remove the Outlook from my Windows ten system. Yes, uh, it didn't. It didn't find.
Speaker 1: It didn't find.
Speaker 7: It didn't find the outlook. It found even in the Windows part of revo On installer. It pulled up all those Windows files, but no Outlook. Interesting okay, but all the all the apps that are there, it pulled all that stuff up.
Speaker 1: No Outlook now.
Speaker 7: I even I even used it on install co pilot, which was one of the things I saw in my my Outlook, and I figured I don't need co pilot on install. That still didn't help. But what is happening? The fonts on my Outlook are really large? And a Microsoft page has come up, a notification page saying your privacy matters, and it's you know, something to do that You've got to respond or click something on it. The whole page is not show, it's but half the page. It might screen, yeah, and so it covers all the information. If I refresh the screen, it goes away, but within three four seconds it comes right back up before you could do anything on the screen.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a couple of things we actually I actually got an email about your problem from James in north Chesterfield. He said, for the listener having issues with large fonts and Outlook before uninstalling anything, I would suggest closing Outlook launch it in safe mode by typing Outlook dot ex slash safe into the start box, and then if the issue is resolved, reset reset outlook to default within the program, And if you're inside the program, you can go into UH view and it says reset view and if you're using the newer outlook, it says advanced options and then reset under Windows setting. So that's number one. So I would try that to see if that works. If you want to uninstall this and reinstall it, I actually have a new suggestion for you.
Speaker 10: UH.
Speaker 1: The app is called b c Uninstaller. And now, because the first the revo didn't find it, I can't guarantee that this is going to find this app because it sounds like it's it's part of something bigger on your system or I'm just not sure. But this BC uninstaller dot com is a way to remove all kinds of unwanted applications quickly. So and this says it can uninstall basically everything, normally registered programs, hidden protected, all kinds of stuff. And by the way, this all comes from an article that I highly recommend you go to the website to get the link for. It's from tech Spot. It's called essential Apps to Install on Windows and mac Os. They've got everything from web browsers password Manager, Productivity Alfred on Mac to everything for Windows, screenshot apps, how to back up well, they recommend back Blaze image editing if you want to see what's eating up your disk space, whiz Tree on Windows, Daisy Mac on Mac, Daisy Disc on Mac, Remote Desktop, Russ desk. Is it a good alternative to team viewer? And then to keep systems clean? Windows users can try bc uninstaller or portable CC Cleaner. Mac users can install app Cleaner. I'll put that link on my website rich on tech dot tv. Coming up, we're going to talk to Todd Weaver, founder and CEO of Purism, making a privacy centric phone. Welcome back to rich on Tech rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show is rich on tech dot tv. There you can get links to everything I have talked about on today's show, including the Windows and Microso sorry, the Windows and Mac apps that I mentioned in that great tech spot list. I've got that on the website rich on tech dot tv. This is episode one seven, so if you just want to type in that keyword, it'll be bring up the show notes for everything I mentioned. Joining me now is Todd Weaver, founder and CEO of Purism. They are a company making phones and other devices that are privacy centric, and they also have a phone that's made in the USA, which I know is a hot topic right now. Todd, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So what's your background? What made you start this company? Oh?
Speaker 12: Man, A lot of things, but technology is a big thing. But then also you know, I really looked at digital rights and sort of where the trend lines were going with big tech, and so I actually built my entire company to avoid everything from the big tech companies. And you can imagine in today's world that that's a significant challenge. So from laptops, tablets, mini PCs to phones, and then I even you know, doing our electronic manufacturing here in the US for our Liberty phone, also including the operating system that's not Android. So these are a lot of challenges and so it's just you know, a passion and then also a care for your individual digital rights.
Speaker 1: So before we get into all these things that you're doing, what do you think is the problem with the big tech companies and what you know? You've got iPhone. I mean I feel like Apple is probably better than Android, but I'm not sure, but you tell me your thoughts and all that stuff, like, are we really just being tracked with everything?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 12: I mean I think that the majority of people can appreciate that their digital footprint is something that is being tracked by big tech and monetized. Right, So this isn't something is fringe. The majority of people recognize this to be the case. It's just that there isn't a convenient alternative that doesn't do those yet. And that's the thing that we're building. But when you're looking at Apple or Google, Apple just happens to have a better marketing, but they don't actually really solve the systemic problem of your data should be yours and you should be in complete control of it, and so all big tech companies are incentivized to track everything from your phone. Here's as a simple analogy. If you have an iPhone or any Android phone, and then you put our phone next to it, those first two in every major carrier and every major phone manufacturer, they leak about three to four gig of data in twenty four hours. It's all your personal information, your GPS, camera, role, microphone, calls, contacts, and our phone. It's exactly zero bits. So you're in co leak control of the entire device, which is why we had to start with manufacturing the hardware and authoring an entire operating system that's not attached to andle it.
Speaker 1: That's wild. And so your operating system is called pure OS. What does that run on?
Speaker 4: So it is a Linux kernel.
Speaker 12: And then this is sort of built on a you know, decades of the entire industry. We've just invested tens of millions of dollars into that to create the entire mobile environment. And so it's the same operating system that runs on our laptop, our tablet or MINIPC. And then we ported all of that to the phone so that we can actually provide a phone in that using the same operating system.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, so you've got a bunch of different devices, but specifically you have one phone, the Liberty phone, that is made in the USA. I know this has been a hot topic. It's been a lot of talk about whether they can manufacture an iPhone here in the US. You're doing it. Has it been a challenge?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's an unbelievable challenge.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 12: Also, the other thing is that we actually of a qualified claim, So the FTC has very strict guidelines on what made in USA can be and what assembled in the US they can be. And so you think of this as these three tiers. So for us, we actually do made in USA electronics. That means that the entire inside electronics, the main board, all the components that go into it are of US supply, and then we manufacture that at our facility. But actually for us, the journey was kind of it was multi years, six years from start to finish. And for us, what we actually had to do was we did the our designs. These are we called the ODM Original Design Manufacturer whereas Purism designs. Then we actually went to we did our dev kit first at our same facility just north of San Diego. Then we actually flew to China to do the initial contract manufacturing of a phone because that's where all phones are made, and that's called our Librung five and we put that out about twenty nineteen. Then we brought all that back to the US and then we did on our own SMT line that we can produce the actual electronics and then we do all the assembly. We do that at our facility and then we ship those out to you know, any customers who's buying direct.
Speaker 4: So that's a completely made in.
Speaker 12: The USA electronics because we still have to source some components outside of the US, but those are in small quantities. If you're looking at like a thousand total parts that go into a phone, you know, maybe ten percent are outside the US, with the super majority our components that are done in the US and we do all the manufacturing ourselves.
Speaker 1: So with this phone, this Liberty phone, it's got you know, your operating system on it. So can I download Android apps or what? You know? How am I limited in the apps that I can use? I see a bunch of them on the screen that looks like, you know, the stuff you're used to, like a phone dial er and a messaging app, Like can I use this like a regular phone?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So there's a what we call the app gap. So that's something that we're still continuously closing. But when you're looking at basic functionality calling, text, browser, calculator, music player, those types of things, they all work because we've invested the time and energy to make them happen. But when you're looking at the branded third party applications Snapchat, you know, WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger. Those are produced by these big tech companies in and their applications clearly run on Android or iOS and they don't run in puros. But there's ways for us to close that app gap, and one of the primary ways is that if you can run it in the browser like Uber or LinkedIn or IMDb, those run just fine. But when you're getting to these third party name brands where they have a lot of functionality built natively in them, then we need to emulate those Android applications. And actually the way we do it is by running them in isolation, so they actually don't penetrate into all the things that you don't want them to, right, We sort of cut off the creepiness and then we are able to run those applications, but we don't have them all yet. That's what we call closing the app gap. And so it's a process for us. You know, number of apps is just momentum and time. We have plenty of momentum, so it's just a matter of time before we get those applications you need. And that kind of relates to use case. Right, there's a hand there's a bunch of people, millions of people that would like a basic phone that doesn't spy on them, and we already use case yeah, and so then and then you have a bunch of people that are like, no, I need Snapchat, and I need three cameras and I need a GPU for processing my video. But you know that's not the audience we're able to satisfy today with the hardware or software.
Speaker 1: Yet the price it's a it's starting a ninety nine dollars. You know, it's expensive. Do you feel like you can get that price down over time?
Speaker 12: Yes, we can. So there's a couple of ways that we did this. The first is we actually have a lead Rum five that we did our contract manufacturing out of China. That's a seven hundred ninety nine dollars phone. Our cost of goods is only about six hundred dollars for that, so we don't have a lot of margin on that, but that's sort of the lower cost version of our entire design. And then we brought that to the US. We only it's about a ten percent lift on our cost of goods, so it's about six hundred and fifty dollars to produce the US version. So you can see that the price point can come down even if we have with even retaining healthy margins. The reason that we sell it for nineteen ninety nine is because we sell half of it to the U to consumer and half to the US government, where we have additional layers of benefit, secure supply chain, making sure that all those components are able to be verified. We publish our bill of materials so that those can be verified. We publish all of our source code so that that can be verified. You can see with all of those things, that adds some overhead that's needed. So we sell at that higher price point. Once we get to volume, then we're able to lower that price point down. But that's the reason that we chose the higher margin play for that. And then I guess the last bit is we're the only phone where we where the Manu electronics are manufactured in the US, right, so that allows us to say, hey, we have market exclusivity. Let's put this a reasonable price to be able to fund all these other things that we're doing.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a couple things in the news. Obviously the iPhone being made in the US. Do you think that could happen? And then Trump came out with Trump Mobile saying that they were going to have a phone made in the US. I think they've backtracked a little bit about that. But do you think those two things are possible?
Speaker 12: So the first one, when you're talking about Apple, I do think that, But let's also be clear, when you stay made in USA that has a very distinct all or virtually all has to be US of US origin now. And the other thing is Apple has to move a gigantic ball forward. Right, So when we did it, we're looking at tens of thousands of devices. When they're looking at it, they would be looking at a million per month. So to move that forward, they would really have to be incentivized significantly and over enough time to actually bring that to the US, such as I've even proposed, like if the tariffs can be very powerful, and if that's used as an incentive, it would have to be something like twenty five percent increase every year for ten year years, and then they could see, wow, that's something they could plan around. So then you can start seeing some of that reshorting. But getting to the point of a fully made in USA, it's going to take an awful lot more effort than just one company looking to move it here because the supply chain itself. Of all those components have to be done. Here, I'll highlight one point. Every phone except ours uses Qualcom or Media Tech chipsets.
Speaker 4: Those are not made in the US.
Speaker 12: The NXP CPU that we put in our phone is fabbed in Texas, So that's an example of having to choose a different chip set to actually put into a phone to make it happen. The last question you brought up is the Trump Mobile, which I've spoken quite a bit about. That phone in the current specs are Chinese made, and by calling them out a number of times on this issue, they've backtracked that to they've removed those claims, right, and that's wise of them. It would have been wiser for them to actually source a US made phone such as ours to be able to provide it, as opposed to, you know, putting just something up that was clearly going to be of Chinese origin.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could say I'm not a deal maker, but I mean I'm saying, like, why not just partner with you? All Right, we've got less than a minute. How's business fantastic?
Speaker 12: We've actually been growing overall, been ten years in business, last two years have been profitable, so we've invested tens of millions of dollars thirty million total in revs, and you know have healthy margins, so continue to grow.
Speaker 1: All right, Todd Weaver fin very fascinating conversation, Thanks so much for coming on the show. Founder and CEO of Purism. They are doing privacy centric phones and phones made in the USA website p U r I dot SM. I'll put the link on my website. Rich on Tech dot TV feedback coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. We're going to get right into it because we got a lot in the feedback. A couple of stories before we get to that. First, off At is going to pay one hundred and seventy seven million dollars in a data breach settlement. Two major data breaches that exposed customer information. The first was in March twenty twenty four, leaked names, birth dates, phone numbers, and socials of over seventy million people. Second breach involved call metadata. So there's two funds and basically you can file for both of them. Up to five thousand dollars for documented losses from identity theft for the first breach, twenty five hundred dollars for losses from the second breach. If you didn't document your losses, you'll just get a flat rate cash payment and the highest payouts for those folks who have their socials exposed. But yeah, there's no reason. Claims have to be submitted by October seventeenth, twenty twenty five, and the payout depends on how many valid claims. And they still have to finalize it, I believe in December, but oh yeah, here it is December sixteenth. So if you if you're part of this, notices will be sent out this summer. So be on the lookout if you get a notice about an AT and T settlement from Kroll Settlement Administration. That is legit. Spectrum TV customers, if you have Spectrum TV Select, you now get Hulu at no extra cost. Hulu with ads is now included in Spectrum TV Select. Let's see here, that and that. Now they've got so many streaming services included with Spectrum TV now Disney Plus, Hulu, Paramount, Max, Peacock, amc Vix. So it's all based on that Spectrum TV Select and it's all the stuff with ads. But you know, you can always upgrade if you don't want the ads. And then Ring is adding AI powered video descriptions to its alerts, so instead of just saying motion detected, AI is going to actually kind of look at the video and give you a much better description of what's happening in that alert, so you can kind of distinguish urgent things from just everyday activity. That's rolling out in beta for paying subscri and it works with all current ring cameras and doorbells, so no need to upgrade your hardware for that. So instead of just saying motion alert, it's going to say something like two people are peering into a car in the driveway, so very very specific. All right, Time for the feedbag. That's your feedback plus the mail bag. These are the emails, the comments, questions I get from you. If you want to submit, go to Rich on tech dot tv hit contact. Let's see Steve from Mission Viajo says, I have a Galaxy S twenty two plus and I'm thinking about getting a newer model or maybe switching to Apple. My wife has an iPhone and iPad. She always says I need to get a quote real phone. Help. Well, Steve, first off, you have a real phone. It's a Galaxy. That's an excellent phone. I don't think you need to change anything as long as you're getting software updates, and this is still getting security updates. Tell your wife, hey, I love you, but my phone is just fine. But with that said, if you want to switch to an iPhone, it's not a bad idea because she's got one. You want to be in the ecosystem and she can help you with it. I would check out the iPhone sixteen E. It's simple, it's a solid phone, and it's about six hundred dollars. But don't feel like you have to give into that peer pressure. Candace says, I enjoy your show. I received a podcast link by email and I want to add it to my Apple Music playlist to listen on a plane. What's the best way to do this? Not Apple Music. You have to open up the Apple Podcasts app on your phone, tap search. You can find the show or the episode whatever they sent you. You can just search for that and then tap follow and then use the three dot menu in the upper right hand corner to download the episode. And then once you download it, just to be sure before you hop on that plane, switch your phone into airplane mode and test to make sure that it plays. Because there's so many times that I've gotten on an airplane. I think I downloaded stuff on Netflix or whatever and there's some sort of error and you only figure it out once you get up in the sky. So flip your phone into airplane mode if you're downloading stuff for the plane, be at your house and see if the stuff. That's my tip, Eva says. I took my Pixel seven A to the Verizon store. They told me it doesn't support eSIMs, even though everything I've read says it does. I'm planning to go to another store, hoping I just got some bad info. Also, I love Google Lens. I used it in Japan and Europe and preferred over Google Translate. I love Google Lens too, but you have to have a connection for that one to work. So Google Translate can work offline because you can download the language pack and so that's what I like about that. As for the SIM, as far as I know, the Pixel seven A does support them. So perhaps Verizon was saying that your phone doesn't because it's locked, So that could be the problem. You have to have an unlocked phone. But if it works, you can install it through the aerlow app Ai r Alo. That's the one I use a lot. Pine says, band calls about printer issues on your show that was rough to listen to last week. Lol, Yes they are. That's why I say no printer issues guaranteed I can't solve them. Games from San Diego says I'm using Chrome on Mac and I'm getting a dollar back on each Amazon purchase from both simply codes and shop back. That's two dollars per order. Thanks for mentioning both. Well, thank you for using both. I didn't know you could do both. Double dip in there, John and Oklahoma City says I recently found your show on KTOK yes home of the OKC Thunder NBA Champs. First, let me assure you this message was not written by chat GBT. You can tell because it doesn't start with I hope this message finds you well now the complaint. It is very inconsiderate of you to only do this show once a week. I'm disappointed. I've had to figure out how to use a podcast app just to listen to the older shows. Solution air it every day. But if you're really too busy with your KTLA TV stuff, I'd be willing to settle for three times a week in all seriousness. I love the show. I look forward to it. I really appreciate you what you do and wanted to share well. Thank you, John. Your email is the email of the week that's going to do it for this episode. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just let's go to richontech dot tv. Find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. Instagram is where I mostly hang out. Next week, July fourth weekend, I'm gonna be reading a lot of your emails. Of course, I'll take your calls as well, but if you want to get those emails in with those questions, go to rich on tech dot tv, hit contact, or just send them to feedback at richontech dot tv. Thanks for listening. I appreciate you spending your time with me. One reminder, don't text and drive. Whatever it is, it can wait. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Kim Bobo, my guests, my name is rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon.