Speaker 1: Help We Suck At Being Newlyweds with Dean Aungler, Kaylen Lurkey, and Jared haven An iHeartRadio podcast. Well, why everybody, Welcome to an all new episode of Help We Suck At Being Newlyweds. I'm Jared, joined by Dean Kaylin, parts unknown. Where are you guys? You're back from Hawaii?
Speaker 2: Back from Hawaii. We are in Vegas right now, heading to Colorado tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We're back, Jared, We're freaking back. Okay, man, are you back because you're leaving tomorrow? Why when do you guys not travel? Yeah, we're back. We're back, and you want to know what time it is in Hawaii right now? Five am? So I'm gonna be cranky today. Yeah, but what time is it in Vegas? It's eight and plus. You guys were the ones who wanted to record today, don't judge me. Well, we wanted to record for a very good reason because you're going into surgery in one hour. Well, I don't know, let's let's not get to I'm getting a root canal. I've already gotten part of the root canal done.
Speaker 3: So I went to the dentist like two months ago and they said Listen, you have some decay inside too. We can try to get it out, but it's kind of close to the nerve. So if we get in there and we're too close to the nerve, we're gonna have to send you to get a root canal. So maybe it's just best if we send you to get the root canal. So I went to go get the root canal. Really not a bad procedure, it just takes a while. So I was in there for about an hour and forty five minutes, sitting in the chair, and she's performing the root canal very players, you know, fine experience, but apparently I have very long roots, which is she said, it's great for your teeth, but bad for me because it's going to take a long time for me to finish the entirety of this root canal. So she had another appointment, so she said, listen, what I'm gonna do It's gonna be fine. Is I'm just going to close up what I've done, and then you just have to come back and it only take about a half hour more and then we'll finish up the root canal and I'll fill it in.
Speaker 1: I said, all right. So her next appointment was Halloween. So here we go October thirty. First, I'm going to finish up my root canal. It's really not so bad, pease. I feel like this is how a lot of horror movies start. Yeah, so I'll never see you guys again. It'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Does it just feel like a deeper cavity or does it feel similar to a cavity?
Speaker 1: I never really, I mean I would get I guess it just feels like cavity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What did you? Why did you do this? Jared? Why did you do this to yourself? Why didn't you brush more? Why didn't you floss? Why didn't you use a water pick? Why didn't you rinse with anti cavity mouthwash? How did we get here?
Speaker 3: Anti cavity mouthwash? I need to find some of that, you know. Really it's brushing. I brushed twice a day every day. I don't floss as much as I should, But I'm not as sure flossing was the issue. I think the real issue is that I have a sweet tooth and I just like chocolate a lot, and I don't think i'll ever give it up. I could lose all my teeth and I would still be munching down. I would liquefy chocolate.
Speaker 1: How long do you have to be chocolate free after today's procedure? Nothing, I'm going to have it immediately after that. Modern medicine is just so awesome.
Speaker 2: How often do you eat chocolate every day?
Speaker 1: Every day?
Speaker 2: Mine?
Speaker 1: What you guys don't have like a piece of chocolate every single day? Caitlin definitely not. I have I eat chocolate more often than she does, but not every day. How do you eat? What do you How do you consume your chocolate every single day?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: In what form? Well, it really depends. So I used to always have your peppermint patties, like very small ones inside the house. Yeah, dude, just I would pop throughout the day, probably like eight to ten of those, just like go in the phrase grab one, like you know I'm going to get a water, I'll pop in a york Uh. So those are delicious. Uh.
Speaker 3: And then usually the thing is if I'm at Audrey's. So I guess maybe not every day because if I'm at Audrey's and I want something sweet, I'll have a donut. But I guess there's like, you know, I really love.
Speaker 1: Our chocolate chip old fashion, so that has chocolate chips in it, So I have chocolate there. Yeah, it counts.
Speaker 3: And then if I'm home and before I go to bed, yeah, we always have some sort of candy or chocolate or ice sandwich in the house that I just like, pick on.
Speaker 1: Ooh, ice cream sandwich. This honestly sounds like my dream. Ice Cream sandwiches are so underrated. I had Ashley bought them. I'm like, why are we buying ice cream sandwiches? What do we five? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Then I had one and I forgot how delightful they are.
Speaker 1: Holy, They're so good. It's the simplest things in life. Yeah, I mean, I could eat ice cream every single day. I had asked Kaylin to. She was going to the store like a week ago, and I asked her to get me some mint chocolate chip ice cream. But she's going to trade her Joe's and so it's not like the mint chocolate chip ice cream that I'm used to eating. She comes back with these ice cream sandwiches mint chocolate chip ice cream. They were legitimately the best thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. I ate it was like this tray of like a cookie tray, but there was maybe there was like twelve of them, and then I ate three. The next morning. I think I had to be up super early to go climb them out. And I woke up at like three am or four am. I had three more got back from that trip and I was like, oh, man, I deserve I deserve some of these. And then you just polished off the box. Box is gone within twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: I didn't even get one.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't even eat that stuff.
Speaker 2: I wanted to try one.
Speaker 1: You never made that clear. Yeah, but I gotta say your peppermint patties are are my favorite as well. You want to know what I also did this summer was I was at a store can't remember where, I can't remember why. I saw them on the shelf and I knew I had to have them. It was a box does andies, mince and the mins.
Speaker 3: I think are those the ones that if you go to a hotel sometimes they'll be in bed. Yeah, those are good stuff right there.
Speaker 1: Those are good. And those are nice too because they're so small, so you don't feel quite as guilty eating them. And I also feel maybe it's because as a kid, sometimes housekeeping would leave it on the pillow that it makes me feel like I'm a vacation if I have one of those. Yeah, so nice. It's a it's a two.
Speaker 2: For that's like on your way out you get or no, with your bill, you get them at Olive Garden.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah, to work at a hotel in Carla Springs when I was in college and they served him, and so I probably had like a dozen of those a day, every single day. What did you do at the hotel? I was bel staff. Hey do you hear the guy running luggage? Hey, Jared, welcome to the Ander, Just hilt and can I help you with your luggage? Do you need to park your car for you? How about directions? That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I feel like Dean in college. Doing that would be straight out of her rom com. Oh like this like a woman getting out of the car and you know she has her maybe you know, Oh my god. Ah now I'm just thinking terrible things because I'm thinking like a mom, a mom's weekend away right, Like it's like five, you know, thirty five forty year old women. Oh my god, this is our weekend.
Speaker 1: We're gonna enjoy. It's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 3: And then they get out of the car and they see Dean, and Dean's like, hey, welcome to the hotel. Can I take your bags? And they immediately think to themselves, am I willing to risk it at all to have an affair with this man?
Speaker 1: And they did. It helped out in tips. It wasn't mostly thirty five to forty five year old women. It was mostly like business people coming for a couple of days and then leave.
Speaker 2: What age were they probably that same age, sure, but.
Speaker 1: They were heterosexual men. Oh as I was for the most part.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you said business people. Business men.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was predominant, like, look, it's not my choice, but there was mostly men coming to there for business. But it was still a good experience. I got some good tips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you did as older women.
Speaker 1: So my members got some good tips, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, that's too far. That's a jerking poor taste. We'll get it. I took it too far, But Jared, I wish you nothing but the best for your root canal later today, guys, it sounds terrifying to me.
Speaker 2: I always thought that root canals were for really older not really old people, but older people because I watched Freaky Friday as a kid, and in Freaky Friday, she's like root Canal and the woman was like Jamie, I can't remember her name was like fifties right, Yeah, so I always thought rock canouser for older people, like in their fifties. I was about to steal that pop tart. I was about to steal that pop tart.
Speaker 1: Oh alis taking away from the pop tart? Crazy? Oh good for Alistair. Let him have the pop pop tart. Let them live a life. Well. Dared is almost fifties, so maybe that's maybe you're not far off that assessment. Forty seven man dentists scare me. I absolutely. I mean I think everyone could say that they hate the dentist. But that's why I lost. As much as I can. I use a water pick, I rinse my mouth false every day. I'm very diligent with my mouth twice a day. He's crazy with my mouth. You fluss twice a day.
Speaker 2: He uses a water pick, and he uses his mouthwash all twice a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good four Back to college. It's silly how this keeps going back to college. When I was in college, I brushed my teeth. This is not an exaggeration. I brushed my teeth seven times a day. Yeah, I was a psychotic.
Speaker 3: What wo seven times? Does that even do anything? Like after the third time? Honestly does it make a difference.
Speaker 1: Well, I I didn't know about flossing or anything other other than brushing, and I was so at Like I hated my teeth. I hated them. I hated them. I hated them so bad because they were crooked and they were a little yellow. And I was like, if I just brush my teeth seven times a day, this is gonna be They're gonna be perfect one.
Speaker 2: Day, They're gonna shape up perfectly.
Speaker 1: Shape up. Oh, And I would do this thing where I had this one front crooked tooth, and so I would just pull my other bottom teeth on it and pull on back as hard as I dam like, try to self correct it. This is horrible and it never worked out. Surprisingly, do you believe that? Yeah? But yeah, I brushed my teeth seven times a day.
Speaker 2: And the old were you when you got in visiline.
Speaker 1: I bought it when I was like twenty maybe, and visiline didn't didn't fix my problem. I've had a visilining four times.
Speaker 2: You have perfect teeth.
Speaker 1: I hate my tea.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 1: I hate. I've had a VISI I like your teeth, and I did smile direct once and it just has never worked for me. And I found the issue is it's not my it is my teeth. My teeth aren't perfectly straight like I. Well, I look at Kaln's teeth every day, by the way, too, who are are perfectly.
Speaker 2: I also have a few ven ears, so that's not fair.
Speaker 1: But I yeah, I've had it four times. It's never given me the results that I wanted. But I realized it's not necessarily my teeth. It's my gums are asymmetrical. The right side of my gums are lower than the left side, and so when I smile, you'll never You're never going to see it. I when I were there, But yeah, it's a gum issue, not a teeth issue. But even my teeth are a little crooked. Anyways, back to my teeth brushing story. I brushed them seven times a day because I wanted them to be perfect. And I think teeth are the most like the first thing I see when I look at someone else's their teeth, So how could I be a hypocrite have crappy teeth. So I brushed seven times a day and I went home for like summer or winter your break once and I was talking to my buddy. I was like, yeah, dude, I've just been brushing a lot. I don't know what it is. And he goes, you know, that's probably not good for you, Like you're probably creating new like grooves and your teeth that can then stay in and create.
Speaker 2: A cabin get more porous potentially.
Speaker 1: Maybe not yeah, maybe more porous. But he's saying, like the bristles on the brash are making your teeth more grooved, and that can't be good. I was like, shoot, you're probably right. So then I cut it down to like four or five times a day. Oh man, teeth. And I just hate going to dentist. I'm too poor to afford a dentist, and so I just did anything I could to avoid it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we have a great dentist. Shout out to Chris Crentist.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Chris is our dentist. He's great. I miss going a dentist. Chris. Yeah, cupcake, what a guy. Yeah. I actually talked to him the other day. He sent me he sent me a video of what appeared to be Tom Brady, but him saying Hi, I'm Bruce and like you can ask me questions and it's AI. Brady sold like he was. He gave Meta the rights to create an a I of him. But bro, it's I've never seen anything like this. It's it's him, it's him, and then he goes metas scanned a bunch of celebrities who licensed their images of voice. Meta is using them as an AI avatar. Brady's one of them. So there is a video. I'm going to send it to you guys, and I mean it's it's just Brady. It's it's actually quite terrifying.
Speaker 2: I mean it is a Black Mirror episode coming to life, which is pretty creepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very creepy. Speaking of Black Mirror Halloween, what do you guys dressing up as nothing?
Speaker 2: But it's our very first year being at our house for Halloween. So we are finally going to pass out candy to trigger treaders.
Speaker 1: Where were we last year?
Speaker 2: I was trying to think that. I'm not sure we've never been home for Halloween. I know that we were on a long trip somewhere, maybe Galapagos and Galapagos.
Speaker 1: Where were the year before that.
Speaker 2: At Sarah Wells's And.
Speaker 1: We weren't even in this house before that?
Speaker 2: Is that we've been here for? Yeah? Anyways, it's our first year. I'm excited. I bought some candy. Also didn't realize how expensive candy was. Oh, really, twenty bucks for like a little bag of candy for the good pieces.
Speaker 1: The whole bag should have been twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: I got the crappy candy and mediocre candy for thirteen bucks. I got the little Receias and the little kit cats.
Speaker 1: The way that whole big plastic bag of like a sorted candy that should have been twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: It was thirteen each.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's crazy inflation. Man, these kids better be grateful. It's a very real thing.
Speaker 3: Wait, so yeah, but you also don't want to be the house with crappy candy.
Speaker 1: No, I know.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I'm not going to pick the like really bad candy. I got Resea's and Kitkats, and then I got another variation.
Speaker 1: All right, good because my dad is the house with crappy candy. Oh, it's just embarrassing.
Speaker 2: That one was cheap, and I get I get it now because you know, why wouldn't I buy the eight dollar bag of candy.
Speaker 1: You're not eating it.
Speaker 2: I'm not eating it, but I wouldn't up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody, all the kids in the neighborhood are going to talk trash about you guys.
Speaker 2: No, well, they probably already do because we're never home. We never put a sign out, we never turn our lights off at least like our front porch lights. So they probably won't even.
Speaker 1: Come and they can talk all the crap about us they want because we're over here talking craft about them.
Speaker 2: And we're moving.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you're getting your procedure done today because you probably had big plans tonight trick or treating with Dawson. Right, yeah, yeah, but there's no work. It's literally I'm going to walk out the chair and be fine. I mean, I'll have a little pain. I think you're underestimating the surgery. This, uh, bro, I already went through it. I'm just going through it again. Yeah, but this literally when I left, I went directly to work after my last route. Now, just you know, it's it's just it's just discomfort and so it is they numb me. So, you know, for a good hour and a half afterwards. You know, my speech is a little simplealysis, still a little. I thought that's the last twenty percent of a rootcal is the most painful. Obviously. Yes, doctor Dean over here knows everything about a root canal. Got Chris on the line right here. Yeah, he's just texting me. Figure. Yeah, the root canal. Bro, you got a twenty percent chance of dying.
Speaker 2: Wait, so do you guys all have matching costumes tonight?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So we just I never dress up. I mean, I love it's so weird Halloween.
Speaker 2: Gay, Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Do love Halloween, and yet I'm always every time she wants to dress.
Speaker 1: Up, and like, I just don't feel like it. I gotta be honest, but we always do it.
Speaker 3: Uh. So we have Superman. Dawson loves his Superman. So he's wearing his little muscle Superman costume and he's actually busted a video.
Speaker 2: His reaction was so cute. He was like shocked at his muscles.
Speaker 1: It was so cute. Then he kind of like liked it. Oh, this is easy.
Speaker 3: So then I have a Superman costume as well, So we're gonna take him trick or treating. This is the first time Dawson will ever go trick or treating.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, you.
Speaker 3: Will see how he well, he will see how he does. I mean he's still only about twenty one months, so he's gonna be able to walk.
Speaker 2: So he wasn't walking last year this time, right.
Speaker 1: Not walking. He walks now, not well.
Speaker 3: I mean he walks pretty well, but he you know, he looks like Dan at three o'clock in the morning, just wobbling around. But so we're gonna go to my parents' house and we'll probably start tricking around like five thirty, we're right before it gets dark, and then do a couple of houses when it's darker than call it quits.
Speaker 1: Is your parents' house like a nice neighborhood where you go to get the nice candy? Uh? It is? It's for trick or treating.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a well, yeah, except skip my father's house because it's just terrible. It's cool though, because my two houses down every single year they do this elaborate.
Speaker 1: Uh display.
Speaker 3: So he turns his garage into like a mini haunted house and he always has a different theme and it's cool and he does such a cool job and he creates all his own You know, animatronics and costumes and it's very innovative and it's really cool.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to see that. And I'm also excited just to see Dawson walk up to the house because he's not a shy kid, so he'll walk up to the house. And we went to a trunker tree. Have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 3: So we went to a trunk or treat that we got invited to, and that was cool because he started getting the hang of it where he would grab candy and put in his bucket and he knew that. You know, obviously, after five minutes he's just wandering around and like trying to grab everything.
Speaker 1: But it'll be fun, it'll be cute. So yeah, we're starting to get into it. I mean, this is I'm excited for next year during the holidays as well, because I think every year from now on up until you know, he's probably I guess a teenager. I feel like it's gonna be really fun because now we're living vicariously through him. Like I'm excited to see his reactions towards Halloween, his excitement about getting the costume, and I feel like it will I think one of the things that we love about the holidays. It kind of makes us feel like a kid again. You know, it's it's kind of you know, it's innocence, and you know, you get the family together and you do all this stupid stuff. You dress up, you go get candy. It's ridiculous, but it's kind of fun. And so I'm excited to be brought back in time to experience that with my kid. So I feel like a kid again. So this is all selfish really for sure. And you want to feel like a kid, but you don't, like if you want to feel like a kid, you want to feel like a twelve year old, not a two year old. You know.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but I just remember growing up as a kid going trick or treating and like the parents in the neighborhood all.
Speaker 1: I thought they were the coolest people ever.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to be a part of the parents group sitting around the fire, like holding their glass and obviously I always knew would be alcohol. It is like either beer in there or wine or you know, they would always joke with each other about how they're you know, oh they got the juice to make them through, you know, got to get through Halloween.
Speaker 1: Or they would have the mask. I was like, man, these are the coolest people ever, and now I'm one of the those people who you know, I'm gonna have a little hot apple cider. Maybe we'll put the little fireball in there or something, you know, walk around, just get drunk as my kid goes to different strangers' homes. Be great. But I guess my point of saying that is like the older they like you were saying, the older Dawson gets, the more he'll enjoy it, and the more you'll enjoy it by association. So one nd per then we're will be awesome because now we're starting to get into that early, very very early stage of enjoying it because it's only gonna last so long. Before you know, Dawson's like this is stupid. I don't want to do this anymore because I'm too cool for school. So there's a sweet spot, and I feel like we're in the very early stages that sweet spot. And we got another like i'd say, a good seven or eight years before he's like this is stupid, uh and is not real and uh, I never want to do it again.
Speaker 2: You had a lot of years. I was just thinking about picking out Halloween costumes as a kid, and how different it is because I would always go to Party City or Spirit and I feel like my mom always took us late, so all of the costumes were picked over and they would have x's on all of the costumes that were out of stock. And now you just go to Amazon. You have like endless amounts of resources and nothing ever runs out. Yeah, I would always have the crappy costume, thee like leftovers.
Speaker 1: You know, that's interesting to think about. You're right, because I do think that kids nowadays get spoiled with the options at their fingertip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we need to cut off Halloween costumes on Amazon. Really teach kids a lesson, right, Like, if you procrastinate, you're going to have a crap costume.
Speaker 1: Everybody's gonna make fun of you them. I think what I would do with my kids is I would say, you can't order a costume. You have to order like pieces to create your own costume. I like it because you could just get so and it's it's great. I do have done the same thing every Halloween until now. It's just order a costume and wear it. It's just too easy. It's kind of like cheating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or they can make their own or have us helped them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's obviously like my idea to an even more extreme level, which I would be way more impressive than just buying stuff, but that's out of my wheel.
Speaker 2: I like it getting a little creative, not having a just a full party city get up.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. Do you guys remember your favorite Halloween costumes? Favorite Halloween cost like as a kid, Yeah, any any point in your life, because I was trying to think of mine, and I was Batman last year and I got a cosplay Robert Pattinson's Batman, yeah costume. I just watched like video of you in that costume yesterday. I was like, that is a big that is a that is a movie quality costume, Dude. I felt good in it.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was like, oh man, I kind of feel like Batman right now. So that was pretty cool because I've never had a costume like that.
Speaker 1: That was so cool.
Speaker 3: So I'm not saying that was my favorite costume, but like I said, I was always So it's crazy how I love Halloween and I love all of the things that surround Halloween that go with it, And yeah, I never really dressed up. I remember one year I was with my ex girlfriend. We went to this college party and she was dressed up. She was she had a costume ready to go, and she's like, what are you gonna dress up as? And I was like, I, of course was being lazy and I procrastinated. I was like, I don't know why I got nothing. I don't have a costume.
Speaker 1: So I literally bought a trucker hat and got a sticker that said hi, my name, and then I wrote Ashton Kutcher on it and just plasted that on my chest with a trucker hat and I had the long hair, and I was it was so stupid. I looked I pictured to that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you you suck. You suck, bro, Why did you do that? Just put some effort in.
Speaker 1: My I'm trying to think of what my favorite Halloween costume that I've done is.
Speaker 2: My favorite is when we dressed up. I don't know, I don't really remember mine as a kid, but when we dressed up as each other, that was pretty It was pretty good, amazing, and Dean got heels in his size and seeing him walk home drunk in his heels was the best thing ever.
Speaker 1: Walk home. Did walk home?
Speaker 2: He did, and then he carried them. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say. We walked to the van and slept in the van that night in the street. Yeah, that was one of my favorites as well. I was so hot that night. I was hot and sassy that night. The only like, I'm trying to think of back to when I was a kid and like what I dressed up as a kid, but I can't really think of anything specifically. I do remember one Halloween, I was probably thirteen. I found like a really nice Santa costume in our house, so I dressed up as Santa for Halloween, which is probably like some weird taboo thing that you're like probably not allowed to do, but I did it. Anyways. It was a legit costume, like thirteen something like that, somewhere around that age, but it was a legit costume. Boots, pants, belly, bell, beard, hat, and like it just was pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really can't remember many of them. I remember. The only one I do is Josie and the Pussycat Dolls. I was the Blue Pussycat doll and I had these like platform heels. They were probably like six or seven inches high and just as a kid, as like an eight year old kid walking around in heels as the coolest thing ever, so fine. And I was obsessed with that movie growing up because you.
Speaker 1: Get to dressed like an adult. Yeah, so you'd feel cool.
Speaker 3: I felt so cool I was, I remember. I don't remember many I remember too. The first one I remember is Zorro and I because the Mascazar just came out with Antonio and Benderis, and I was obsessed and I wanted to be Zoro for Halloween. So I got a Zorro costume and it was so frickin' cool and it came with a sowre and I had the cape and it was just awesome. And then I think I was either twelve or thirteen, but I went trick or treating with my friend Amanda and my sister Shannon. Shannon was fourteen fifteen at the time, I guess, so she was like, I'm, you know, pushing the limits. But I'll never forget. I was Dracula and I just recently saw a picture of it. I was fat Dracula, like I was a heavy Dracula, and but I'll never forget. It's amazing how these people impact your life so significantly and they have no idea who you are. Yeah, and it was such a minuscule moment for them, but I'll never forget it. I went to this We went to this guy's house and he opened the door, and then we were like trick or treat and he goes, aren't you guys a little old to be tricker treading? And he's like, right, well, here's your candy. And then from that day on, I was like, I'm never trick or treating again.
Speaker 1: Nope, too old. And then he wrote and then I never went trick or treating after that. Well, wait, how old was this guy or how old were you? I was twelve or thirteen? I guess, so probably like on the last leg anyway. Yeah, but you can trigger treat until you're like eighteen, I think, oh eighteen, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like twelve and thirteen is the cutoff.
Speaker 1: If an eighteen year old walks up to your house tonight, don't give him keep I guess's when you kind of start going to parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was just thinking. At twelve and thirteen, we were in middle school. I started going to parties and that's when it flipped from fun Halloween costumes to sexy Halloween costumes?
Speaker 1: Was your sexiest Halloween costume?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. It's so weird that I can't remember. And I remember showing up to this Halloween party and everyone suddenly was dressing sexy again as a twelve or thirteen year old, which is so weird, and I wasn't, and I was like, what the heck is going on? I felt so self conscious, and from there on I had to skimp it up a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could have just spin the trend set or maybe every slutty looking girl there was looking at you being like, oh man, I wish Halloween was still fun.
Speaker 2: No, no guy would talk to me. I was just like the due in the Lame Costume.
Speaker 1: The Weep in the Lame Costume a book by Kaylen Miller Bell.
Speaker 2: But it's crazy how it just switches and no one tells you. I do remember too. One time I called one of my friends and I was like, do you want to play? And she said, Kaylen, we don't say play, we say hang out. And everything one day switched and no one told me. Yeah, I was left in the dark.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because I would still call it my friends now and be like, hey, you want to play Like I wish I had the gumption to do that, because it's so much cooler to say and so much more true to what you want to do. Like I'd rarely go out to a park and jump on a jungle gym and sit on the couch and watch.
Speaker 2: And play and play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, well we should we just we just the older we get, the worse we get to. The light for life just dim is just a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Maybe once we have kids, that's when it reinvigorates it all in us.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, look at Jared. He's buying movie grade Halloween costumes to dress up like Batman. So I guess you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are parts that reinvigorate you. But then also you're always tired, So it's like there's a little bit of balance there. It's like, oh, there are times where feeling like a kid, but I've also never felt older in my life.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I always feel tired right now as well.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, pre kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're gonna be an old dad. Bro. Yeah, I'll just do everything for the kids now, and Kaylen can do all the things for the kids in the morning. Kind of like how we raise alistair.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, it's a good ballance. All right, we're gonna get see emails real quick. We got two emails. We've been trying to get to these for weeks, but the conversation has just been so invigorating we haven't been able to. I'm going to read the first one, you guys, Is everyone okay with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, okay? Then I'll read the second one. Anonymous says, I'm really hesitant towards my brother's new girlfriend. He's in his early twenties and just graduated college this past spring. She's thirty two. I don't know what an adult woman would want with my brother, who's currently living with my parents. Am I being harsh for judging the relationships solely based on their age gap? He's my younger brother, so maybe I'm just being protective. I honestly can't tell if this is something I would be supportive of. Please help. So just a quick summary, This person has a brother who's in his early twenty and still in and just graduated college, and he's dating a girl who's aged thirty two? Is that weird?
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm always very harsh of age gaps. It's just like it can get weird. But I don't know if he graduated college. He's got to be twenty two, so it's a ten year age gap.
Speaker 1: I'll start, I'll start with vice. I'll just kick it out, kick it out of the gates here. I don't think it's weird.
Speaker 2: Ten year age gap, twenty two and thirty two.
Speaker 1: I have dated that age gap before and it doesn't feel weird.
Speaker 2: Oh you dated an older woman.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially as a twenty two year old, young, young strong man.
Speaker 2: Maybe she like helped form you a bit.
Speaker 1: She was like a guest at Dailer's Hilton. I'm just kidding. Obviously that's not true, but it was never it never felt weird, Okay. I just don't think it's that weird of a thing. And what kind of sucks too to say, is like if it was flipped, it might be a little weird.
Speaker 2: It was a man dating as.
Speaker 1: If it was a thirty year old guy. I think a twenty two year old girl that might be a little more weird. But that's not really fair for me to say, so I guess I have a stick firm with my stance of saying it's not weird. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why age gaps make weird me out, but they do even if you're an adult. I don't know, but you.
Speaker 1: Know we have an age gap barely.
Speaker 2: But like I was telling you, I know someone who's twenty four, Yeah, married to a forty to forty four year old. I don't know, it just it weirds me out.
Speaker 1: Well, can you tell us why it weirds you out?
Speaker 2: What exactly about is what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know why. I think society tells me it should weird me out. Oh no, I think it's weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, s look we're getting somewhere. Keep on going.
Speaker 2: You've got something, but I don't know why. Jared, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I think that each case has to be weighed on its own, because some age gaps are valid. I think we just saw that in Paradise with Blake and Jess. Were we talked about it? I don't know if I talked about it on here or almost famous Listica. Blake is thirty two, thirty three and she's twenty four, and I know that's not a huge age glass.
Speaker 1: To what we're talking about here, though, But the point being was that Jess was it was very She made it known on this episode that it pretty much like she wanted to, you know, she felt like she was missing out and she wanted to explore options, and Blake was like, I don't want to do that. I just want to hang out with you. And it was like, okay, Well, this is a good example of how age gaps sometimes matter because she's twenty four and she wants to explore the world as she well should. Blake is thirty two, thirty three, and he's like, I'm just ready to settle down. I don't feel like I've explored. So that is a good example of how the age gap matters. But then there are other times where I think it doesn't matter. I mean, I have friends that have pretty big age gaps, and they are very much in line of where they are with their values in their life and what they want. So it's like, well that works, and it's worked for a long time, so I guess age gaps aren't that a huge Like my parents, my dad is eight years seven or eight years older than my mom, which is not crazy, but you know, pretty significant. My point being with Anonymous is that one early twenties is vague? Is he twenty like three? Yeah, well it just graduates, so we can assume. Let's assume twenty two.
Speaker 3: So twenty two, so ten years. But let me say this as a twenty two year old guy, if you're dating a thirty two year old woman, you look like a badass.
Speaker 1: Like that's pretty hot. Yeah, good, Like congratulations, bro, Yeah they're that's pretty good. What is it about older women? Yeah, they just they they know more than we do, Not that younger women don't know more than we do, but that like there's more experienced I guess. Yeah, potentially a certain level of class is associated with an older woman. You know, like you think she probably drinks champagne out of a stem glass, like a long stem glass every single night.
Speaker 2: So you're just building them up as something that, yeah, she.
Speaker 1: Only wears like black pencil dresses.
Speaker 2: So fully missus Robinson.
Speaker 1: Heels full missus Robins.
Speaker 3: Like I think guys in their early twenties, and I could speak upon myself in this, like, yeah, women in their thirties when you're in your twenties, like early twenties, it's.
Speaker 1: Like they your sexy.
Speaker 2: And it's probably like a game too, Like can I Can I get one? You know?
Speaker 1: And now can I get too? How many can love it?
Speaker 2: Just trying to think of the right word. Can I?
Speaker 1: I don't know that better to like me?
Speaker 2: Could I get one?
Speaker 1: I remember? I remember when I was like twenty three, I met a girl who was in her early to mid thirties and she was just about to take the bar. She was a lawyer, and I thought it was the and she was very beautiful, but that was like secondary to her being in her thirties and passing the bar. I was like, I was like, this girl was so out of my league. And then you put on the age thing. And then like we dated for like six months, and I started to realize that we had nothing in common, and and like I think that looking back, like one of the main things that made me attracted to her was the fact that she was ten years older than me. You know.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing too. I think this will naturally play out if he is a mature twenty two year old, maybe the last if he's not like he's gonna be up partying, living his life. He just turned twenty one, Like it's gonna fizzle out pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I agree, So let's go back to giving Anonymous advice, because I guess we kind of got away from that. I agree with what you're saying. I think that Anonymous should let her brother play it out because odds are it's gonna fizzle. And it's not like it's a phase, but it's it's just gonna be something that passes and eventually he'll move on.
Speaker 2: Son't just help him grow up a bit, and it probably.
Speaker 1: Will be a good thing.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And thirty two is not that old, Like it's not like this is like.
Speaker 2: A coming from a thirty two year old.
Speaker 1: Two year old, Yeah, a whole life. You got a whole three lifetimes ahead. Yet thirty two years old and I feel younger than ever. That's not true. I still feel pretty old. But yeah, thirty two is not that old. Like I'm trying to imagine dating in twenty two, Like, if you were twenty two, that'd probably be weird for.
Speaker 2: Me, cool for you in the prime of my party phase in twenty two, maybe.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe I wouldn't be interested dating that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Anonymous, my advice would be, don't worry about your brother.
Speaker 1: He's going to be fine.
Speaker 3: I'd be more worried about the woman in this situation, like she's the one thirty two dating in early twenties. It's like, oh, you have some decisions to make because you know if you want kids or start family. You know kind of what stage of life you are, And like, let's see how mature this guy is, you know, because in a couple of years he could be like, I'm still in my mid twenties, Like kind I want.
Speaker 1: To just explore. According to the National Institutes of Health, the brain finishes developing and maturing in the mid to late twenties. The part of the brain behind the forehead, called the prefensive cortex is one of the last parts to mature. This area is responsible for skills like planning, prioritizing, and making good decisions. Oh shoot, I don't have quortex. You're a late bloomer, bro. I don't think I have one of those prefrontal core texes. All right, let's get to Jackie's email before we wrap up. What's your opinion on having your owner's location and phone password. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy for want and to share locations with one another, but I feel like that's pretty standard in relationships. I also mentioned sharing our phone passwords, and he immediately got defensive. Is this a red flag that he's hiding something from me? We've been dating for a year, so I don't think this is a big ask. What do you guys think? Red flag? Huge, red flag, red flag, red flags float through the red flag raised the red flags.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sounds like he's hiding something from you. And I get wanting some privacy and you know, some things to yourself. But if you've been dating for a year, you should you should know where it is. You should, I don't know, you should have access to those things. Did give me his location two weeks in?
Speaker 1: Two weeks in? Yeah, yeah, but that was more of like a hey, if i'm dad, here's where my body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's different thing.
Speaker 1: It's but that that's like I share my location with Ashley because it's like, hey, yeah, God forbid something happens. At least we know.
Speaker 3: Plus it's always nice because you share your location on your phone. So there's been a lot of times from like where's my phone? So I just go on Ashley's phone and find my friends and then we can like zoom in exactly where my phone is. They're like, all right, well it's somewhere in this house. But uh yeah, yeah, come on, share the location, bro.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? What do you where are you going that you're hiding. I used to be many years ago, being like, oh, I don't want to share my location, like I want some independence, And then I realized it has nothing to do with my my dependency or my independence, like I can still go wherever I want, and she'll just call them be like where are you, Like, oh, I'm here, never hiding anything, unless it's like planning a birthday or something. But then she's only ruining it for herself anyway, if she's tracking myself, so that's on her. Yeah. I get annoyed when nowadays, like when I have a friend who I share my location with and they don't share it with me back cause I just I don't need to know. But I just sometimes I'll jump on the map and I'll just see where everyone's at. I'll just like see where you guys are.
Speaker 2: My friend Ali texted me and she was like, Hey, your location's been off for a few days. Can you turn it background. I'm a little worried about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just all the look like, you know, you're bored. You see what friends are in what states. Oh, look, Chad's in Europe right now. That's awesome. That's just it's just a fun thing to do every once in a while. I will say, though, the location sharing thing bit me in the butt. Yesterday I had some bet slips to go cash from Red Rock Casino down the street from our house. I bet Bronco's money line last week and nice an over parlay that hit. So I made like a couple of dollars and I had to go cash then today cause I would have forgotten. I would have forgotten them and lost them. And I go to the casino and I said like, hey, you know what, I'm here, might as well just sit down and play blackjack for like twenty minutes. So I did that, came home and Kaitlyn said what were you doing? And I was like, oh, I just had to run some arions real quick. And she goes, why were you at the casino. I was like no, oh, no, no, I had to like do something. I was just cashing a bill. She's like, okay, well you were at the casino.
Speaker 2: It was gone for like five hours. I'm like, where is he?
Speaker 1: Ten errands I had to run? He just happened to look at the map at the time that I was at the casino. Weird and yeah, what a degenerate gambler. He was at the casino for ten hours no on a Monday, at two o'clock in the after. It was one of many stops along the way, and it was the one I said for last, because I knew it was the only one that I was actually going to kind of enjoy by going to the blackjack table for twenty minutes, which I won. By the way, I won at the blackjack table, Thank you very much. I miss playing blackjack. And then I come home and I'm getting it from all angles.
Speaker 2: All angles, I asked you, I's.
Speaker 1: Biting me, You're yelling at me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So back to the location thing, I personally think locations should be shared if it's something that.
Speaker 2: You gets what he just said.
Speaker 1: Even through that, even with all that behind me, through thick and thin, I'll share my location. I'll just turn it off if I go to the casino again at any point. But Kivin also was on my passwords. I gave that up to her pretty early. But I'll tell you what, Like if I was back in my mid twenties, and I was like pulling the farious stuff like talking to other girls or being an a egypt when I got drunk and doing stupid stuff like that. I would also be hesitant to share my location, let my girlfriend know the passwords to my phone, because I'd be worried about like her getting in my phone and seeing some of the nefarious stuff that I was up to. You know. Yeah, so it's definitely nefarious stuff. That's what our conclusion is.
Speaker 3: Sorry to put that in your head, yeah, Jackie, but hopefully it's not. But I would also I'd keep pushing about the sharing location, especially sharing location.
Speaker 2: Like that's like the simplest fun Yeah.
Speaker 1: The simplest one. Turn your location on, bro, Yeah, and like what is she going to find? I mean, if you are doing crappy things, she's gonna find crappy stuff. But if Kay linked at my phone, she would just see like woodworking and fantasy football and that's about it. Raveting, yeah, which we're playing this week? Bro? Are we playing this week? Yeah? Spotty WiFi. I saw that and I was like, oh, that's I need this win, bro. That's a little bit of a losing streak. Way we need to make a hot chup time machine. I know. Well, think about what you want to make the bet, text me and then we'll announce it less next week because unfortunately I got to go get a freaking root canal. Oh yeah, get rooted, Get rooted, all right? Man, Well, hey, good luck, you're rooted. Good luck. Send us a picture so you know you made it out of your surgery safely. Have fun at Halloween tonight. Tell Dawson thank you. Yeah, I'll be fun. I'm excited to see Dawson. Weather's nice over here too. So it's been crappy the past few days. But today's sun's out, it's a little cold. It's like perfect Halloween. That's a little hot apple cider with a little cinnamon whiskey. Oh don't get too drunk though, Okay, don't be that guy this Halloween, dud. I have four SIPs of alcohol now, and I'm like, I'm good. I'll have a hot chocolate all right, man, have a great deal. I'm excited to look at your pictures on Instagram. Love you and we'll see you next week. Love you guys, and make sure you guys tune in next week. We're hopefully we suck just a little bit less. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram, mat help we suck at.
Speaker 2: Being newlyweds, and email us at Newlyweds at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Make sure to write us a review and leave a five stars. We'll see you next time.