Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sidelines.
Speaker 3: This he is Hanging with the Boys, presented by wing Stuff Where Flavor gets its wings.
Speaker 4: Now your hosts Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon Gross.
Speaker 5: Shooting Tuesday, not victory Tuesday.
Speaker 4: What a kick in the junk man. Looking live at Tostitos Championship Plaza, it looks as sad as we do today. There's nobody out there.
Speaker 6: It's kind of dark.
Speaker 4: Outside Fort Senate at the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: At least winners got here. It's forty nine degrees feels like thirty three. The highest fifty one. The low is thirty seven.
Speaker 7: He is Nate, This is Kurt that is shedding in the back is Chris. I am Salt and Pepper Poppy. Together we make Hanging with the Boys just sports talk equivalent. The brill people be.
Speaker 4: Brought to you each and every day by Wingstop where flavor gets its wing? When's the next when's the next flavor drop?
Speaker 3: Chris, I gotta look into that, Okay, soon though, huh before Christmas?
Speaker 6: I hope it is not the nineteen.
Speaker 4: Good news mom bought the stuff to make Simon rolls becoming picture music on that. No matter what you see there. But man, lots to talk about, Jesse, this, this is gonna be a show for you. We got to talk special teams with all the special got talk, so we'll get into that in a minute. Kurt, how are you you good?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 4: Jesse good?
Speaker 1: Nate?
Speaker 4: I like your fit too, How are you?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I'm great?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: How cold was it out there?
Speaker 6: It was just pretty pretty breezy? Yeah it waseze, babe, boy, I'm good, I'm good. We rat where we need to be right now. Not on the field.
Speaker 7: Your boy, your boy helpless ain't help us yesterday?
Speaker 6: Who is my boy? You?
Speaker 7: You out like a game like yesterday. I don't know what side of the fencer you want. Are you salivating Joe Burrow or are you upset over your boy? I'm just coach from Pittsburgh of destructstruck.
Speaker 4: He got to see some some fresh blood on the offensive line. You have to see the young guys play, which probably soon we'll get to see a lot more of the young guys playing but initial thoughts. Kurt just on the game. It was close, by the way. Congratulations to the Voice of Reason, the only person on the show to pick the being to win. He had the Bengals thirty three Cowboys.
Speaker 7: I don't want to all the time. Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Jesse Holly special teams guru that will break.
Speaker 7: Down what you call it didn't come true though.
Speaker 4: It did not. Gessei has more than fifty yards and six or more catches. Yea, so he did not.
Speaker 7: He did not. He had three for twenty four, but he didn't need to.
Speaker 4: Chase said, hold my beard, I got you. I got your back.
Speaker 7: B Yeah, I got more than what I got. I got what you want. I got what you needed.
Speaker 4: It was fun to watch. If you're a Bengals fan, you know the roof was open, it was beautiful. The Simpsons simulcast was going on.
Speaker 7: Check I didn't.
Speaker 8: I turned it off for about five minutes. I heard.
Speaker 4: It wasn't terrible.
Speaker 8: No, it was actually better than I thought.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was prisile.
Speaker 9: I mean the technology was getting an actual game playing and leads to Simpson run for the Homer.
Speaker 4: Intercepted bar Yeah, it was really cool, but Kurt initial thoughts kick us off.
Speaker 9: Well, it was disappointing for sure. I mean, you hate to lose close when the game you had a chance to win so close. No, it's so close. So yeah, but you know, besides that, the injuries on top of that made it even even worse.
Speaker 4: Thoughts and thoughts definitely go out to overshell Man talking about it just hurt. That hurt my soul. Yeah, especially when you heard this morning that it might trickle over into next year.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I just Mozzie screwed us again.
Speaker 6: Hell, I don't say that. I don't say that.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, and it just seems, you know, like the final nail and whatever.
Speaker 7: Hopes there were.
Speaker 4: Mathematically you're still alive.
Speaker 8: Still alive.
Speaker 5: But you know, yeah, what about you, Nate Overall thoughts, I'm good man, all right, Yes, you know.
Speaker 8: What side of the fence he's on. Then I guess.
Speaker 4: It's in the past.
Speaker 7: You know, good teams find different ways to win football. Get look at Kansas City, look at Detroit, look at Philadelphia. Bad teams find different ways to lose games. And I think you saw, you know, look at Carolina, look at the Bengals, and they're losing streak and look at the Cowboys. It's it's it's a consistent pattern of the comedy of eerrors that happened throughout a game, whether it be from the sideline, from coaching, whether it be on the field, from players. You just see those things continue to pop up in moments where you need guys to be at their best. Sometimes you just need guys to do simple things and they they they don't and your team loses because of it. And there are I mean when you go back and you watch this game. Even when I got in late last night from doing my post game show, couldn't sleep, just you know, adrenaline is going. You're just up, you know, trying to calm your mind. And I start watching some of the game back last night, and you just start seeing, man like this was this, this, this, this, and and no one thing is you can say loses games for you, but there are definite things where you look at and you go, this is what happens to bad football teams. Yeah, so such as life. In the words of the great Bill Parcells, you are what's your record says you are?
Speaker 6: You are tough?
Speaker 7: One man?
Speaker 8: What about you?
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 6: This dude, you see his dress? Tell you about it. He's ready to go up in the Marcasall Hills and hide Mexico.
Speaker 7: What I read.
Speaker 4: I foreshadowed this season by booking my trip, and you know, but I do that every year. I mean, it was hard, It was it was heartbreaking. The injuries were tough, and for the first time this year, I you could feel this meant something to the guys. You know, you see Michael on the sideline and at first when when you know, the special teams play happened, and Mike's over there waving his hands and he's like, come on, manute, like you know, and I'm like, I was kind of upset because I was like, he's he's basically calling his teammate out on national TV without saying anything about it. But then the game ended and he went straight to the locker. He wasn't swapping jerseys, he wasn't out there yucking it up, and I was like, you know what, good showing some like showing some emotion, pissed off like mad. You know, maybe this is the spark that like turns him into a dog, you know, because we always talk about he'll go on his pocket and we'll see tonight if he has his podcast what he says, But this meant something to him. And it's weird because they're basically out of the playoffs. There was almost no hope. But they were pissed last night. They were upset.
Speaker 9: It was like, you know, there's the worst losses, maybe worse than the last year's playoff, you know, and this one, that's what he said. He said, it maybe felt worse than last year's playoff.
Speaker 7: Long he got a concussion, So I mean, you gotta he gotta check that man. For there's three losses this season that was worse than what happened last year.
Speaker 9: I think I wondered if it was more like and those losses, they are so blown out by the fourth quarter, they've already kind of gone to the emotions of this sucked.
Speaker 4: They had dealt with it, Yeah, when they had dealt with it.
Speaker 8: Were this one was still kind of fresh and raw. They went right in the long and you.
Speaker 4: And you it was right there and they probably have heard about Joe Burrow all week long and Jamar Chase and they had.
Speaker 7: Him beat and then they had him beat.
Speaker 4: Well you could have I mean, you had a chance to beat him, you know, I mean, you had a chance.
Speaker 7: To Jamar Chase and Joe Burrow did what they wanted. Yeah, throughout that game. I mean, Joe Burrow was over three hundred yards passing. It was looking he looked great. I mean, Michael was partners of Michael was upset. Mike had a really good game. He had nine pressures, the only second time in his career where he had at least nine pressures and no sacks. He was chasing Joe Burrow all day long and could not get to him like that. That's part of the frustration as well, frien him. He's like, man, I'm out here humping and working my tail off to try to get to this joker, and I can't get to him. And then on the back end he's completing passes. So it's like I'm trying, We're trying. I'm definitely trying, and we I'm unsuccessful, and then I'm getting no help on the back end because he's throwing dots to Jamar Chase. I mean, when you go fourteen for one to seventy seven to two touchdowns.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, he did it so smooth. He did it so smooth that one seventy seven and the way that Joe Burrows would let Michael just think he got it. I'm like a mat at all. I remember one time Michael was coming from the right side. He waited till it last second. Man, it just duck. These shoulders stepped up. I don't say to myself that right there is priceless fellas you would die, not nover manter, that's too strong word you would as a coach to be at the end of a game. Both coaches sitting over there. All we need is one play and Jesse's gonna break this play down some time during our show. And uh, but you can't tell me. I don't be You don't been in these game with brother. Who gonna make this play? One with the dummy or the smart and who's gonna but who's gonna make this play? You couldn't tell me. You you you can go. This game makes you tired because it's the roller coaster of emotions. Is so great. And regardless of what you think about uh uh, Cincinnati's defense, they were playing. They were playing tough. Regardless of what you thought about our offense. They was hanging in there, they was they was, they was moving the ball down the field, they were sputtering out, They was making some bad plays coaches and players, but to get on with a minute or two left and this thing twenty twenty, and you can make the difference. You can make the difference. And that is where me and Jessic gonna always be on the same page. When my Joel's it is better than your Joe.
Speaker 10: Come on man, literally yes, yes, yeah, tougher man, tough, tough to I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If like that was that game?
Speaker 6: Do you need a cleansing?
Speaker 4: Almost meant nothing, like, okay, you win it, so what you won, you put three together, but it just it was just so defeating.
Speaker 7: You know, to us only outside. Now I sit on the outside. Now it means nothing. Those guys, it means everything right there. Because they win that game last night. That's three in a row. They're still believing. The hope is still there, the joy in going out and playing again is still there. And now you start looking around, you like, hold on, we can get four. It gets Carolina, you know, then maybe a fifth forgets and then the last two we'll we'll see how that goes and maybe we get some help. Maybe they you know, Philadelphia might be imploding again. What they got going on with their receiver and and and and uh and quarterback and what some other guys are saying about it. So that still gives you hope. And the one thing I do want to I want to say before we go to break because we we we laughingly joke about it, Fans talk about it and push forward and you know they got tank websites and all that kind of sh stuff. And another thing that Nate and I will always agree on. You start talking about tanking man, and you know when it doesn't matter, what does it matter? Dumarron overshow might might? We don't know what his injury is. He can probably never play football again. You think he's thinking about tanking a game. And that's what we're talking about from a player's perspective, is you are playing in a one hundred percent hurt business. Now. I hope and I pray like legitimately. I ain't just talking like I legitimately prayed that for him, and I hope that this young man is able to come back from what this injury is. But when you start talking about ligaments and and and stuff like that, that's that's that's serious. That ain't just that we go back in there. We just you know, we fix the ACL. You know doctor Cooper can do that in his sleep, right, Like, oh yeah, ACL, But we'll do that. When you start talking about ligaments, now you start needing things to refire and rejuvenate and those things get working again. That's a fifty to fifty crapshoot. That's not guaranteed when they go in there that they're gonna just all work back together as one and everything's gonna be hunky dory and we're gonna get out of here. So when people talk about, oh, tank, tank, tank, lose game, lose game, lose games, what does it matter? What does it matter? That's why it matters. That's why guys go out there each and every week because and you know why it was so devastating to guys like Micah, to guys like Kendricks and other folks. While that locker room seems so dim and I said this earlier. You take a guy like Eric Kendricks who's been in this league for ten years. What sometimes happens is that you lose the joy of football. It becomes a job, and you sometimes are searching and trying to find that youth full joy that you once had when you were a first year guy, when you or a second year god that dies at times, not for everybody, but a lot of times, that joy dies and you it becomes work. And then you insert a guy like Demarvin Overshown who had that youthful joy, who played with that youthful fun spirit, who gave you the good feeling again. And when you're a veteran guy like that, and I'll put Mike in that mixture. He's been around for a little bit. And then because when you're losing and things aren't going right like it makes it difficult to come to work. And then you get around a guy like like like Themarian and you go, it's fun again. That's what That's what it means. That's what it means, not all. You know, you get involved with the business and people start telling you when trying to you know, tell you what you're worth and what you're not worth, and all the other kind of stuff that kills the joy. That that kills the joy from it all. And then you're able to get back in the situation from God that you see in that locker room and going, that's the joy that I need to give back to. You told me about two months ago about a situation and you said, you said, Jesse, you're one of the most positive people that I know, but this situation it's tearing you down.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: And I went home with that and I said, you're right, that won't that. I cannot give that thing any more of my positive Villa can't take my joy. And you insert a guy liked Maarian and he goes he's he's inserted joy. He's giving joy back to football when he goes out there in the practice field and he's running around and he's enthusiastic and he's yelling and he's that's why guys felt that way about him last night. So when you're thinking about and talking about tanking and you hear Nate on myself say things Abody like I don't know about that, it's because you never know. In this business, that's one hundred hurt. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Sometimes in this game it takes from you more than you're willing to give, and you don't have a say so winning and Marvin will be dealing with this second ACL injury plus whatever the other thing that has to happen with that. It's a it's a tough deal.
Speaker 4: Was it the same leg. All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we'll talk about the play and other things on Hanging with the Boys.
Speaker 11: How's wing Stop sound crispy juicy, classic wings, sausty tossed that those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese or signature Wingstop wretch. I think you've heard enough, Get your labor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 6: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game date as the official Wings of the Dallas Cowboys. Order now by download the wings Stop app or ordering online at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey, Cowboys Fans, a twenty twenty four football season is here, and seed gig is here to help you experience.
Speaker 7: All the action.
Speaker 1: Seed Gig makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown.
Speaker 7: Celebrations this season. Whether you're buying or.
Speaker 1: Selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seed gig is the place to do it. Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea in ticketing, a ticket that works. Expect the expected seed geek.
Speaker 2: Cow about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets.
Speaker 7: As we cheer for the stars.
Speaker 2: On the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate. Thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets, they sure make game day special. And for every purchase of the new Tyson Cowboys Nuggets this holiday season, Tyson Foods will donate one dollar to the Salvation Army up to one hundred thousand dollars. As you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 1: We got big personalities, We got big hair, big bell buckles. We got fans all across as big state and enemies in every other one. We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smeir Enough knows football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks home were away. We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all, we got big love for them boys. Smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 7: Back to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the second segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought to you each and every day by blockchain dot Com. Thank you blockchain dot Com. Kurt Yes, swing on by your local seven eleven right down the street and grab your favorite item from the roller gril Ca Lizzie. Then in your way Big Gulf for just eighty nine cents a bow. Participating stores fill up at Pumpey Get game Edy ready Big Golfs.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 4: All right, do we want to break the play down or we want to wait till you later.
Speaker 6: Come on, let's just get it out Jesse.
Speaker 4: All right, we have our special teams here, and he didn't talk enough in the first segment, so we'll let him have the whole second segment, hopefully not maybe have a segment to break down because when we came in, I asked Jesse off the air, because we like to bring our off the air.
Speaker 7: That's what we do nothing.
Speaker 4: That's why we're called Hanging with the boys, because there's nothing off limits. We just whatever we talk about, we talk about. If he felt bad.
Speaker 7: We'll bring that infection you got next week. Do what an infection you telling us?
Speaker 4: About oh yeah, yeah, that can wait. It's not that imortant if he felt if he felt bad for uh A warrior, A warrior, thank you for the help, and he said absolutely not. So one walk us through what happened, because we there's been a lot of talk about what Jerry said right after the game about you know, we would like to have that one back, and you know, in all this and everybody's if you listen to the local media around here, everybody's losing their mind. Like I don't thought Jerry for say that, because right after the game, he doesn't have all the information, like he's just watching as a fan, and then he goes back and gets between you and I.
Speaker 7: That's why he probably shouldn't be talking.
Speaker 4: Hey, but hey, it's good for us because we have things to talk about. But you know, he doesn't have all the information. And then you know, he goes and gets it and then it is what it is. But in the heat of the moment, it's like, hey, you know, he thought they were trying to block a punt in that situation, didn't agree with it, said it, and then he got more information and he kind of just everybody around here is losing their minds. I don't have a problem with it. But Jesse walk us through what that play was, what it was supposed to be. Is a big deal being made about They didn't have the pump block on, but they were able to get to it. Why does that make a difference? And then was it a blown assignment?
Speaker 6: Should you know?
Speaker 4: Obviously everybody should have just gotten away. But you tell us from your point of view, knowing how that works, how do you practice it, what do you do during practice, and why that shouldn't happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So let's start with you know, look at the down and distance and where you're at on the football field. Right, the game is in, it's in balance, right, it's twenty twenty. At that point in time, the defense gets to stop, right, they get to stop now. The Bengals are coming out to punt the ball. Just for any for clarity, there was not a pump block on. They were setting up the return one. You can tell they're seting up a re term because they ended up vicing the left gunner, which is so the gunner is a guy who you see on the outside like a receiver. They're running out and trying to the first guy down there. So uh, that's where that's where Oorea is and Kemon Hall. You see the other two guys to two off backers off and inside on the punt return to vice means two guys on one.
Speaker 4: Guy guy grab him and try to assault.
Speaker 7: It's basically assault and they let you just assault the guy you know, all the way down the field. And and so what ends up happening is you see them do a little bit of a shift. But that's just the numbers. When you start looking at the numbers, there's enough guys for the Bengals to block whoever the Cowboys were gonna send. There was no blitz happening. Once you see the ball is snapped, you see them set up a return. They're trying to get a return because at the end of the day, they know indoors, Brandon Aubrey's good for sixty five plus Like you, you kind of have that in your back pocket, so we can get any any bit of return because from where they were punting from, you wasn't gonna really be able to flip the field that much. Too successful plays. And now I'm in field goal range. I can run this thing out. Brandon Aubrey come in and kick the other game in the field goal. Now what you saw was Nick Visual who just flat out whooped the guard. The guard lunge Nick Visual got around. Now this is me being nitpicky. But when you start talking about the details within the game, So Nick Visual whoops the guard and he's supposed to continue on. But what you saw Nick do and this is not me blaming Nick. I'm giving you the nitpicky details of how you're supposed to block a punt. When you watch the play Nick, hands are up and he swipes down. Okay, what you're taught is if you have the ability to block a punt, we don't want to go hands up. We don't want to swipe down one. We might miss it. If our hands are apart, you might miss it and kicks it right through your hands. What's you're taught is like a diver, like think Michael Phelps when he goes off of the platform. You're thinking about this, right, Your hands are supposed to look like this so that there is no space for that ball to get through. My eyes down are on the foot of the punter. I want to take the I want to take the ball off the foot of the punter. So when I come in. I don't want to come swiping down because if I miss the punter, I want to take the ball right off his foot because if I get it, the double thug poo poo. Even if I hit him doesn't matter. But if I don't get it, his foot goes up. I go underneath him. No flag. So what Nick did? He gets through, but you see his hands are up and he swipes down. Now here's also why it's important. If Nick comes in with the diver hands right when he gets the ball, the ball now goes this way, and it's behind the line of scrimmage. So even if you try to get on it and don't get on it, they don't get the ball back. But Nick comes up, swipes down, ball goes off his fingertips, and now the ball proceeds to go past the line of scrimmage. But what it also did was when you start talking about the way that that weird the ball was spinning, it was because it caught the fingertips of Nick's hand. Now the second part about it. You're outside, if you're a wall error in your keymon hall and you're vising right, you hear the double thud. You hear it. I've I've had a punt blocked on me fingertips. You hear it, you hear it. And then on top of that, someone is probably yelling Peter, Peter, Peter, or poison, poison, poison. You hope it's the guys who are able to see the ball, mainly being Cavante Turpin. And you see Cavante running up the field, and I'm hoping that he's yelling Peter, Peter, Peter, poison, poison, poison, either.
Speaker 4: One, which means get the hell away from the get.
Speaker 7: Away from the ball. You don't want to touch poison, you don't want to touch the Peter, right, neither one of them. That's the origin of Peter, Peter, Peter. And so now if you watch it, Keemon Hall stops. Now he and Oreate are vising they're together. He stops and gets out the way Oi turns, and when you watch him, the ball bounces side note oriate. If you want to know how it's done, just go back and watch me do it. And the Vikings game a couple of years ago, a lot of years ago. And that's how you catch a two bouncer and take it back a yards for a touchdown. Now that's either way.
Speaker 4: But you see, I always make the show about myself.
Speaker 7: You gave me the you gave me the one. I brought it up. So you see O warreate. And this is where this is where you have to understand.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 7: When you hit balichex, say do your job. I don't need you to be the hero here. What we now need is for that ball to stay hours. But a warrior looks at the ball and you see him get into a curt your baseball guy. He gets it to that shortstop stands and he's he's ready to kind of attack that ball like you're gonna catch it and throw it. Throw a guy out at first right home. And you see him looking at the ball and he's getting ready to attack it. And the ball bounces and the second bounce, remember that weird spin I was telling you about. On the second bounce, he caught the weird looking spin and he thought it was gonna cradle right into his gut. Instead it bounced and took the weird spin and it went off his He was trying to like scoop it and it went off his his arm, shoulder, whatever it was, and they were able to get the ball back. Here's another funny thing. The guy that Nick visual beat, he lost his job and got it back in ten seconds. The guard that Nick vigiill beat number forty five was actually the same guy who recovered the ball after a Warria touched it. So and people are gonna say, well, Bone should have said to him, don't do No, that's not a conversation they're having about that, because Bones is like, we got a return set up, so I don't have to tell y'all, hey say off the punter. No, da da a Warea is a six year guy, been in this league. And I want people to understand this as well, because people say, well, he just got brought up and he only paid X amount of snaps. On special teams, I'm gonna tell you right now. Unless you are unless you are Dak Prescott, unless you are whoever like, unless you're CD Lamb and sometimes even Cede Lamb are in these special teams meetings. If the meeting consists of hands teams, if the meeting consists of if you have some pump return or kickoff return responsibilities, you're in these special team meetings. Now, those days differ from each one. But a Warria is a guy who you don't have the privilege of not being these meetings, because even if you're on the practice squad, you're in these specialties meetings because you're learning what the other team is going to be doing so that when you go out to the practice field and you're on the scout squad, you're giving the starting squad the best look. So you've heard all of these things being talked about throughout the meetings, about when the ball goes past the line of scrimmage and I touch it, you know all these things, and to be honest, they always tell the gunners that, hey, don't get away from the ball, Like, if we wanted you to return the ball, we would have made you the returner if we block it behind the line of scrimmage. Yes, scoop and score. So he's heard the messages before in training camp, in OTA's and mini camps, and even at some point in time during the season. So this wasn't one of the bones fossil kind of you know, gaffs that he has put out this year. This was a player looking at a moment and saying I could be the hero, and instead of him being the hero, he now became the villain and a loss for the Cowboys because all he had to do was get out the way, and he got more than enough time to get out the way, and he tried to go make a play and he screwed it up.
Speaker 4: Should have listened to ludicrous move.
Speaker 9: Get out the way, and you explained it better. That was my question, because I've read somewhere that this was his although he probably had special teams experience in past, this was his first game on the punt return come out in the meaning and I thought, you know, if you're you know, your back to the game or whatever, and you just turn around and it's you and the ball. I mean he had space, Yeah, but it isn't that the natural I guess that's the difference between doing it right wrong professional. Your natural reaction is there's the ball, your.
Speaker 7: National action to get out the way, like you've been talking, that's the natural reaction. That's the natural reaction. You get out the way.
Speaker 4: So this wasn't not knowing the rules.
Speaker 7: This was just this was a guy trying to This was a guy trying to make a play. This was a guy trying to make a play in a tight game, and he cost you. It cost you because when you go back and you watch the play, and I know Nate has his iPad, we can pull a play up. But when you go back and you watch the play, you see him like it's enough time where you see him he's almost crow hopping, like he's crow hopping to time it up, to scoop it and try to run through again. That second bounce. He didn't anticipate it being as quick and as jolting as it was, and so he crow hopped like like like a shortstop, like a shortstop would do at a base hit coming his way. That that crow hop, I'm gonna pick it up routinely, gonna do it. And that ball took a weird spin and it jumped up on him and instead of being a baseball where you can kind of corral it inside your chest, it was a football, unblunng ball, you know, bounce the different ways on this turf.
Speaker 4: What happened after the after the game, some players didn't let the media talk to him.
Speaker 9: I think the media was waiting to talk to him, and C. J. Goodwin stood up and said, you know, no, he's not talking today. We're not we're not doing negativity. And I guess sound like some other guys kind of spoke up to and said, no, he doesn't he's not talking.
Speaker 7: They went, yeah, that part I don't like either. That's just me.
Speaker 8: That's interesting. I thought.
Speaker 9: My initial reaction was, this is a veteran that is trying to protect his younger teammate.
Speaker 8: But you don't that's not the case.
Speaker 7: How you feel about that, because if you were the Scooper scored it, he'd have been in front of his lack of like, look at me, look what I did, right, he would They wouldn't have said, nah, don't talk to him, he's a veteran.
Speaker 6: No, So let's going and just break man. I'm liking your conversation.
Speaker 4: I don't know just what you think about it.
Speaker 6: I'm gonnat you normally come back's gonna let us know he's actually gonna talk today. We're gonna let yes. Yeah, yeah, that was great. I hadn't heard it broken, so yeah, boy, you you you made it way in back on like this kid. But hey, it's okay, and.
Speaker 4: Loan man put me right back for the final segment A half the boys.
Speaker 11: Wow, good stuff, jes How's wings stop sound Crispy Juicy, Classic Wings, Sat Talk, Those are letting soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese, or signature Wingstop ridge.
Speaker 7: I think you've heard enough. Get your labor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 6: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game day as the official Wings of the Dallas Cowboys. Order now by download the wings Stop Out or ordered online at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 12: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 7: Rush Scott Kitsch slides for the first.
Speaker 12: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 12: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day food d'es with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole It's made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 1: Grab some today, Hey Cowboys fans, a twenty twenty four football season is here, and set Gig is here to help you experience all the action. Seed Gig makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seat Gig is the place to do it. Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea ticketing a ticket that works, expect the expected.
Speaker 7: Seed Geek.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the final segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought you each and every day by Jigsaw, the proud dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, so we were just breaking down. Jesse did a great job of breaking down the special team's block punt that wasn't called for, and then the.
Speaker 6: Massive breakdown meltdown.
Speaker 4: Blunder, bad decision to try to feel the ball, But that was really good Jesse. I hadn't heard it broken down. So back to the question of Jesse didn't like the fact that you had c. J. Goodwin and some other guys not letting media talk to Amani after the game. Nate, how do you feel about that good that the veterans were We we didn't.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm gonna give you my one experience, the one time that happened with us. It was Leon Lett in Miami where he did the same thing. But Jesse's talking about, you know, uh snow game. And we didn't have to protect le it because the old tame had an X ray room and he ran the extray room and locked it and the only person he opened the door for was coach Johnson, so we didn't have to protect him.
Speaker 7: He and he.
Speaker 6: Pepulated into every media type. Even Rich wasn't even in there before he came out. Nobody that was it, Uh, you know, My thing is this right here. You played tick intact the whole game. Like I opened up saying this, I'm I'm gonna stick with it. You had this one opportunity. Whether this pump block was called for or not, you blocked it. That was your glory. That was the glory of it. Whether you did it the right way like Jesse showed us the wrong way, you blocked it. You had another opportunity. You blew it, and it costs you the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, people, we talk about it all the time. One or two players a game one it calls you the game, you know. And I listen to everybody bringing in his content. What McCarthy should have done, what the players should have done. You was not stopping number one. You We got some of the top flight corners in the game. I saw him eat up number two. I saw him eat up twenty six, and I saw him eat up number seven. Don't tell me about nothing.
Speaker 7: He Jamar chased it before the game. He wound up in the in the pregame talk about one of our reads. He had a seven eleven shirt on a seven eleven shirt on saw that and he was like, I'm always open. He was like, hey, I'm gonna give some of the digs. I'm gonna give something to Jordan. I'm gonna give something Duran. I'm gonna let y'all know. And he's and Jamorrow is chasing the triple crown. He's now in the lead with he leads the league in receptions, le lead in yards, and leads the leagues and touchdowns. So you know, if the season and the season is out of reach for them and then they're not going to make the playoffs, then Jamar is like, when we go ahead, get this triple crown record'll go get my.
Speaker 4: Go get my record. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it was I think the if you watched it on TV. I don't know if y'all got to watch it with y'all's responsibilities and everything, But like, I think they did a really good job because that's the first time I watched the pregame, the post game, everything. I think they did a really good job of one telling stories right because they had some really cool backstories with Jamar meeting that kid that was in town to see him and what he was doing and he.
Speaker 7: Did the gritty in the end zone.
Speaker 4: They taught, you know, they told that story and then following up with players, and something that really stuck out to me was Joe Burrow saying that one route that they ran, that timing route where he threw the ball before he even came out of his break and it was right on the like that coverage was good right there on the goal line. And he was like, yeah, that's something that we that we've worked on, you know, and it's and you could tell like like I.
Speaker 7: Mean and like Nate knows that, you know, because Troy and and and Michael the bang Eate that nobody ran the bank gate better than those two. Troy can closed his eyes one two, three for five the top of his drop fire it, Michael could get to his one tw three for five outside foot plant come across that safety's face. I know, I got two step up for that backside. They have to get to me, and like clockwork, those two just had that. I'm I'm if you went back and looked at the yardage for for Mike in his Hall of Fame career, I'm sure more. I'm not gonna say half, I'm gonna say a large. It's close. Probably came down to those bang Eates. A lot of what he did was that and and that's what you have when with your quarterback receiver. It was they had he knew, he knew where to throw it, how to throw it, and it was practice it he got to the top of his drop and that ball was on the way humming to to the outside where he We always say like, it's it's self defense because if you're gonna either you gonna catch it or what's gonna hit you. So the self defense, I gotta I gotta go ahead and catch it. They that's what you see with those type of combinations.
Speaker 4: Nate. I have a question that I hope you can answer for me. If not, we got yes, all right, my voice.
Speaker 7: What's that gonna do it? I'm no longer here. You're gonna get through it, you know, baffling with You're gonna have to talk to.
Speaker 4: You know, when you lose, you questioned a lot of things to whereas if you win, you're like, yeah, you know, just gloss over it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So we we the Cowboys lost. So I have a question that I can't figure out for the life of me, and I hope maybe someone can explain to me. You have a running back that seems to have found a rhythm that is took picked up where he's left off. The last two weeks, it was averaging seven point three yards per carry and only had eighteen carries.
Speaker 7: Sure, he was averaging more per carry than the quarterback was.
Speaker 4: And he didn't touch the ball the last six minutes of the game. And you had too what two possessions in those last six minutes, and he didn't He didn't even touch the ball. And I know that's par for the course with the play calling this year, and it seems like you we do that every single week. But it seems it seems like this is he's become the running back that they thought he was going to be in the beginning of the year, whether it's play calling and they're feeding into whatever. But he's hit a stride. He looks really good, and he looked. I feel bad for Zeke because when you put him in there after Rico, it just looks like he's got nothing left.
Speaker 3: Like I feel feel bad for Rico.
Speaker 6: My boy right there, boy right because I was saying, and I said, no, hold on, what would we just I could turn around and turn back like you Jesse, And I said to my saying, they must handed this ball to Zee, you know, I love see and I'm like this, But anyway, which is.
Speaker 7: There a reason?
Speaker 4: Is there a football reason or a play calling reason something that I'm not seeing that's from watching tape that there.
Speaker 6: You are, twenty twenty. Your boy is lighting up the skies, running the ball. The offensive line has found a rhythm. Two three different positions been changed on your offense and they still doing what you have asked them to do, and you just stop. I have no and no one we wait till Monday or Tuesday, the day after what. I just want to why guys in that moment say hey, coach, you are averaging seven point something yards and carry with six minutes mofth You just did not run the ball. Somebody need to put that question.
Speaker 7: There's thirty two coaches on this staff, yes and you and ain't Nobody goes hey, coach, Hey hit the side of the coach. Hey, let's keep running that thing. Yeah, Mike Slaari, somebody, hell, offensive line. We gotta come off the film and say hey, because like one of the turning points of that game where you have Zeke excuse me, not Zeke, you had Rico. He gets the fourteen yard carry and you go pass pass pass incomplete, incomplete, just.
Speaker 4: Take it right out of his rhythm.
Speaker 7: Even if you were going to give him, you just killed your drive. And that's the part. And Michael from Pittsburgh, he gets up in the media often he says, you know, we gotta run the ball. We gotta run the ball. We gotta established to run. And then in the moments when you need to, when you were dashing them, they had no answer for you running the football. We go had his best career yard this day, and you picked the worst time to go. Let me put the ball in the backup quarterback hands who got a noodle form arm and has never scored twenty four points or three? I had three touchdowns like.
Speaker 4: Yeah in the game before we go. Offensive line, a lot of new faces, a lot of new combinations, moving parts. They do pretty good.
Speaker 6: Oh they did they did. To me, they did well, they did well. Uh. The thing is, we only get to see the rewards through the running game. That's what we can physically see as for offensive line, because the passing game, if things ain't going right, we know right away quarterback is on his back. But it just it just baffles you that I've been saying play these young guys, do what you gotta do, and you you you we twelve games in it, and you're figuring out that these guys can help you win games or put to help you be in position to win games, because, like I tell you, you can feel I understand people have to feel content, but this game should have been even ugly with six minutes left. It's like, if we lose this, it's gonna be on the back of Rico, not on the back of your quarterback. This should have been on the back of Rico. And I don't think he would have let us down. I don't think he would have let us down. He would at least gave us another shot at the field goal.
Speaker 8: You know the hell, all you.
Speaker 4: Gotta do is get to the furthest point of that star going the opposite way. And Aubrey's gonna give you a chance.
Speaker 7: Give you a good chance. Yeah, real good chance.
Speaker 4: Man, Well, good stuff. This was a good show. Her different perspectives and what fourth and long, Yes, sir, you can send.
Speaker 7: Him to good I mean, I ain't gonna play with you. I ain't. I ain't gonna know good stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kurt can't come to something.
Speaker 7: I agree, Yeah, we can't agree to disagree on what it.
Speaker 11: Was in.
Speaker 4: So short week? What are we doing to cowboy? Real short week, right.
Speaker 8: Chris, Cowboys? Maybe that's where we usually go.
Speaker 6: Do it all tomorrow. We announced do it all tomorrow. We ain't got no other choice. We don't have a show on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Okay, so no show on Thursday. We'll do it all tomorrow. Nate might not be here Friday, but guess what do alive?
Speaker 6: Guess what will be?
Speaker 7: Wings?
Speaker 6: Wings?
Speaker 7: And I'll be here because if it's free, it's for me.
Speaker 4: For me, Chris, thanks for keeping us on the air. Jazz and Josh, thanks for keeping them company. We will be back tomorrow. Do all the things I'm hanging with the boys will This has been
Speaker 10: A production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club