Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the fouls Heritory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack Things gone off to a good start for the Diamondbacks on Friday against the Rays. Heraldo Perdomo hits a first inning home run. The vibes are good, and then Zach Gallen gets tagged for a three run shot in the bottom of the first. D Backs ultimately lose this one six to one.
Speaker 2: I wish I could say I was surprised that Junior Camanaro got him, got to him early. But the guy's on a heater. He hit three home runs in the prior game. Definitely not a guy you won up with two on and nobody out. It wasn't a terrible pitch. We're going to get to that and what else was going on in that event, But you know this is unfortunately he wasn't able to get it just high enough in the zone. It was a little above the zone, but not enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a big moment in this game. Bottom half of the first inning. It was a a one to two count on junior Cameronaro. Zach Gallon executes a pretty darn good slider on the lower outside corner. Gabrielle Moreno did not challenge that pitch, and then the next pitch, as you're saying, gets hit one hundred and eleven miles per hour off the bat for a three run home run. Certainly, it's easy to say that Gabby should challenge there from our standpoint, I mean, we're looking at the box on the screen. But at the same time, I mean, if Gabby had any thought that that might have been a strike, I mean, that is a moment where you want to be aggressive, even if you're not sure two on nobody out. You're trying to get Gallon some pause momentum there, and it's just felt at large, Jack like Gabby has not had the best instincts, especially lately, when it comes to using those abs challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, I got hammered a little bit because I kind of called Gabby out on that on X platform. But obviously Zack's a guy that walked the bat her, and zack'son guy that hit a batter, and zack'son guy that you know, put left the ball in a hitable spot for Cameron Aro and to get hammered out out of the ballpark. So you know, nobody's questioning that. But in that situation, it was frustrating because it felt like if you're fifty to fifty in that situation with two on, nobody out and that guy up, and you just got a one nothing lead and you're trying to help your pitcher kind of get off to a good start. Here, it maybe not had Maybe it wasn't like the conventional best leverage situation being it was the first with nobody out. But in the context of what's been going on with Zach Gallon this year, I think it was the exact spot that he needed to challenge and unfortunately just couldn't pull the trigger on it. And you know it hurt because that would have struck him out.
Speaker 1: I'll show it on the screen here. You can see that has pitch number four an eighty seven point eight mile per hour slider. It does catch the lower outside corner according to the box on the screen, really close pitch. I don't think you can blame the home played umpire too much. And again it's not like it was obvious from Gabby Moreno's perspective, But yeah, those are the moments in the game where you want to be aggressive with your challenges. I guess on the subjective challenges Jack. We also saw Heraldo Perdomo a couple of innings later. This was the top of the third bases empty, two outs in a one to two count, and Perdomo challenged a called third strike that was in the zone and it wasn't all that close. It just feels like, at large, the Diamondbacks have been overly aggressive at times when it didn't make sense, and then they've been a little bit too passive when you know you really have a chance to change the game by getting a call flipped in your favor. So their usage of the ABS system in general has not been great in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It depends on how you look at it. I mean, like, you know, based on Statcast's way of measuring it, they're actually ranked well. So it's a little confusing. I think you know, statcasts a has a measurement of this, and they're they're weighing a lot of things. It's not just straight up one loss. It's the net runs over under or expected and when you look at how you know the Diamondbacks rank there, it's actually pretty good. So it's maybe it's just a little bit of a confirmation bias. You know, we notice it more when it's wrong. I'm not sure, you know all.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at their net runs for minus against right now on Baseball Savant, they have the Diamondbacks at minus two point six. It appears I could be I could be missing something here, but my first glance is the Diamondbacks rank a little bit below average in that regard. It's a little tricky to read this chart that they have.
Speaker 3: But what we can say now, you've got to.
Speaker 2: Go team summary, Jess, team summary. You don't just go catchers pitchers. You got to you gotta select team summary. On team summary, They're total verse expected is plus twelve point eight. That's eighth best of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I might be on a different screen from you.
Speaker 1: Regardless, what we can say for sure is the Diamondbacks usage of the challenge system in this game certainly left something to be desired. But as you were saying earlier, I mean, even if Gabrielle moreno, you know, regardless of Gabrielle Moreno's decision in that moment. Zach Gallon still is responsible for giving up a home run at one hundred and eleven miles per hour off the bat on the very next pitch, So that is a bit of an issue. And at large, there was a whole lot of hard contact against Gallon in this game. I know Steve Berthume on the broadcast was very complimentary of Gallen's outing. Will show the full line on the screen here. Six and two thirds innings, four hits, five runs, two walks, zero strikeouts, eighty six pitches, fifty three of them strikes. He did get on a nice run in the middle innings there, Jack, he retired fifteen batters in a row, but the hard contact was hard to ignore. I think this was an instance of Zach maybe getting a little bit lucky more than truly pitching well overall in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look for me, I was just happy he wasn't nibbling after nibbling on the first batter of the game, going falling behind three and ohero, you know he threw his strike zone, threw the fastball into the strike zone or right around it often enough. You know you have eleven balls, you said, I think over one hundred miles an hour, So I mean, obviously, look the ball was getting smoked all around the yard at one point, you know, and they were even saying there was a lot of soft contact. Just it wasn't true. You know, it was a lot of hard contact. He had one whiff on a change up that came in his eighty fifth pitch, right, I mean, like, come on, this was not you know, zero strikeouts. This is not a bounce back outing for Zach Gallon. This is a type of outing where you're just gonna have to take it like this is what we'll get. Just throw strikes, let your defense play. He did keep the team in the game in the you know, from the second inning up through you know, the sixth. I mean, balls found gloves. There was a lot of good defensive plays. And that's the only way that you're going to win a start with Zach Gallon pitching, you know, and it's going to happen sometimes he's going to have that kind of outing. Sometimes he's going to have an outing where you know, all the hits fall. So I think this is just is what it is. There's nothing different about the fastball, douce vertical break the velocity, the horizontal movement, the zone percentage, all of that was exactly what we've seen all year long, so you know, and zero whiffs on the pitch, of course, so there was nothing special about his fastball. He just you know, they just put it in play and they hit it hard and most of them went at people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the reality of the situation. There's this this built an assumption that if a pitcher is working quickly and getting a lot of outs, you know, on just a couple of pitches per batter, which Gallin definitely did to his credit. I mean, he threw single digit pitches in innings three, four, and five in this game. And yeah, people see that and they're like, well, he's pitching the contact, and the assumption is he's pitching the soft contact, when in reality, as you said, it was eleven batted balls of one hundred miles per hour exit velocity or higher. That is tied for the most in any game by a starter this season, by any pitcher.
Speaker 3: Not just the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: So that is not good company there for Zach, and I guess there could be a silver lining if some of those were ground balls. Exit velos can be a little bit deceiving in that, you know, if you hit it one hundred and five miles per hour, but it's on the ground, that's not really the end of the world. But that wasn't the case for Zack in this game. Only one of those eleven batted balls at one hundred plus were on the ground. So there just wasn't a whole lot to be optimistic about from Zach in this game. I guess the one thing you could say Jack is he did really attack in those middle innings. He rattled off twelve out of fourteen first pitch strikes in those middle innings, which was nice to see. He was getting ahead of guys in a way that you know, we haven't seen from him as much. But yeah, the full body of work, I mean, it's still as you see on the screen, five runs and six and two thirds innings. I mean, Zach Gallen a few years ago, if he had an outing like this, we would be like.
Speaker 3: What's wrong with Zach Gallen?
Speaker 1: I mean, sure, he pitched him to the seventh, but this wasn't anything like Gallon at his peak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I feel like it's almost unfair at this point to just keep beating up on the guy, but the team keeps sending him out because they don't have a choice. You know, had maybe and Nelson not gotten injured, you know, we would be looking at something different. Maybe it'd be in the bullpen, you know. But they need the innings, even if it's innings with five runs allowed. They need the innings and have to hope that the offense can make up for some of it, which is another topic we're about to get to. You know, there were opportunities earlier on in this game to maybe create a little bit of momentum and put a little pressure back on the A's and once again the dbacs just failed to do so, and so that didn't help either, and we can't ignore that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Diamondbacks offense definitely should take some responsibility in this game.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that here in a moment. I will mention real quick this stat from Asy Snake pit over on Twitter. Are good friends there. They tweeted out that Zach Gallen is the first d Back starter in over.
Speaker 3: Eight years.
Speaker 1: To face twenty seven plus batters without a strikeout, the last guy to do that being Matt cook Back.
Speaker 3: On June nineteenth of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just the one with it came on Zach's eighty fifth pitch. Hard to be so optimistic about that given the circumstances, Jack, I guess when it comes to Zach's future, do you feel like there is a route for the Diamondbacks to move him to the bullpen anytime soon? Or does it feel to you like they're just going to keep running him out there for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: I think they'll do it up until the All Star break, and then once they get a break, they might reset their rotation. At that point, you know they're in a situation. I mean, they just had an option grant back to the minors. I mean, if you move Zach out, who's going to replace him? Right now? Mitch Brad's the only guy you got right, They don't have anybody else to replace him. I mean, I guess you could go Human Lean and Dylan Ray trying one of those guys, Maybe bring Cole Drake up and see if he can do anything. But I think from the team's perspective, they're just not going to look at any of those guys as potentially being any better. Brat maybe, but he was just option, so he's not coming back before the All Star break, so you know, he Jack's going to have. However many starts between now and July twelfth, I haven't mapped it out with you know, probably three, maybe two at least two, maybe three starts more for Zach Gallen is what we're going to have to see and then you know, hopefully they you know, they figure something out. Now they've surprised us before. You know, this team is not totally predictable in the moves that they make, so you know, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Not great, not a great day for the Diamondbacks against the Tampa Bay Rays. We will talk about the offense and the role that they played or did not play in this game against Tampa. We also have some other items to get to, some news with jilber Diaz, who is now no longer in the organization. Talk a little bit about lordus Guriel Junior and his future later in the show.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be back right after this here on Snakes Territory. Well, if you're looking for baseball tickets or tickets to any event, the number one ticketing app is our good friends over at sea Geek with over thirty five million download see Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on sea geek, including concert, sports, festivals, and more. And with sea Geek being MLB's official ticket marketplace, your tickets are fully guaranteed and instantly fulfilled in your account after purchase. We love using the sea geek app. There's the color system. Green is good, red is bad. Gives you a sense of how good of a deal you're getting and yeah, stick to stick to the green. It really always a lot of great options over on sea geek. So when the Diamondbacks return home, that is certainly certainly the place that you will want to go for your ticketing needs.
Speaker 3: And of course we have a code for you to use.
Speaker 1: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you see Geek.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack, the Diamondbacks offense did not exactly do its part in this game and The reality is, regardless of how good or not good Zach Allen was in this game, it is very hard to win a baseball game with only one run. We mentioned earlier Heraldoo hit that first inning home run against Nick Martinez. The vibes were good at that point. Corbyn Carroll followed that up with a one out triple, but the Diamondbacks were unable to get him home from third base in that first inning, and that just kind of set the tone for the rest of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Corbyn's fifty third triple. It's set a new franchise record. He broke his tie with Steve and Drew, So you know that's a positive. And again Corbyn keeps performing at an extremely high level. You know, he's basically the lone bright spot for me on the offensive side. You know, everybody else has just been so inconsistent. Gaby popped out, Nolan popped out, boom Over two didn't get the crooked number. You know, you get to the fourth inning, Corbyn singled, Gabby singled, another pop out from Nolan, a line out for Max Kepler. A little bit of bad luck on that one. Was a good defensive play by Camin Arrow and then of course lords a ground out and boom, you're for five with runners in scoring position. It's the fourth inning. It's still a pretty close ballgame. You have a chance to get back in it, and you don't get any momentum. And then of course Ildemaro Vargas, he came up in the sixth inning with runners on first and second and two outs, he pinch hit for Max Kepler. Interesting to note that Kepler has pinched hit for immediately his first time facing a lefty. If you're wondering how he's going to be used. And I mean Vargas hit a line drive out to left field, but it was right at the fielder. Boom for six runners in scoring position. They never got another shot at that. Just a weak offensive performance again, you know, and uh, I mean we had four from lordus Coil junior. We had four again from peven Smith. Neither one of them are having good looking at bads, you know, neither one of them are car their weight for me. You know, why not just start groover, put Pevent on the bench if you if you don't want to dfa him and make him earn his way, you know, have a few good pinch at bats. And one start a week, and if he earns his way back into the lineup, he does. If he doesn't, then make another move. I mean, that's that's not including whether or not they should DFA him or whatever. I am, along with everybody else, you know, even when they were supposed to play yesterday in Saint Louis and Groover getting benched right after having a good game and hitting his first career home run. I don't I don't like it, and I don't like it. I think Groover should be playing, you know, at least four or five of the games every week minimum. I don't think, you know, Peven should be playing starting more than once that while he's on the roster, you know, whether or not. I just want to clarify, there's two components to this. If the team, if the front office put that's a guy on the roster, toy's got to play him once a week. You can't have a guy on the roster and never ever play him, because then when you do need him, and you're gonna need him at some point to pinch it, to come in and do something, then they got to at least have a few reps in there, so you know whether or not he should be on the roster. There is one question. If he's on the roster, how do you utilize him. He's on the roster, so Toy's got to utilize him. But he shouldn't start more than once a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's certainly in line with how the fan base is feeling right now. I will say, I mean Pavin is still hovering around the sixty PA mark, and we've talked in the past about how sixty played appearances in baseball is almost meaningless. A very bad hitter can do really well, a really good hitter can do really poorly. I know with Peyvin, it doesn't feel like he's getting unlucky by any means. Certainly the underlying numbers don't bear that out. But some ways, I don't blame Tory Lavello for doing this. I mean, I think either Peven Smith is worth rostering and he should start against every righty, or he's not worth rostering because I mean, he doesn't have really any kind of defensive value, although he did make a really nice play in this game, but you're rostering him for his bat, and if you're not willing to start him against someone like Nick Martinez, then he probably just shouldn't be on the team in general. And it's also you know, lou James Groover. His numbers this season are actually very similar to Peven Smith in all fairness, but yeah, Groover has had some good games here recently, so whether it's at first base starting over Peven Smith or maybe finding his way into the lineup at DH, it does feel like Groover deserves some more playing time here. Diamondbacks also had an opportunity with runners in scoring position in the sixth inning, I believe it was, but as you mentioned, they were unable to come through there as Ildemar Vargas entered the game as a pinch hitter and ultimately flew out. So just a rough day for the Diamondbacks all the way, all the way around offensively.
Speaker 2: Jack, Yeah, just for the record, you know, coming into today, I don't know what he ended up at after his OH four and contact wasn't all over good, right, I mean, a couple of flyouts he did it. One deep fly ball.
Speaker 1: He almost comered, but it was it was kind of a you know, would have been a true down the line, like hit it in the perfect spot, kind of home run. I think it would have been a home run in a handful of ballparks, but not even trapped.
Speaker 2: And then the line out to second base and the game. I mean, you know, I don't know what the x. He came into today with a one sixty eight expected batting average and a two twenty eight expected slug It's not like Groover sat in the world on fire, but it is two thirty two, three fifty six, so it's better. Yeah, but you know those numbers of and it's small sample size, right, but you know who's got more upside? Who's who's going to benefit the most from the extra playing time at this point? Yeah, you know that's that And and I don't you know, I mean, obviously the team doesn't see it the way I do, but you know, I think that the team and Groover probably is going to benefit more from the extra playing time than Peved Smitwell, I mean it's not just the sixty plate appearance. It was the last two hundred and fifty of twenty twenty five, and it was the thousand preceding his two month hot streak. We presented all those numbers a couple of weeks back, you know, and how that two month hot streak really does prop up his batting line to be a league average batting line. I mean, essentially, he was a ninety one OPS plus WRC plus sorry, ninety one WRC plus player up until September of twenty twenty four, and an insane one hundred and thirty seven plate appearances him up to a league average hitter on paper. But that's, you know, not who he is. He's not league average. He's below a league average.
Speaker 1: Hitter, yeah he I mean, his strikeout rate this season is actually pretty decent. It's in the low twenties. His walk rate is entering today was higher than it's ever been. But he just isn't impacting the baseball whatsoever when he makes contact, and that is that's been a problem for a number of Diamondbacks hitters this season. One quick other note on the offense in this game. This graphic here shows all of the pitches that the Diamondbacks put in play against Nick Martinez today, and a lot of these aren't even in the strike zone. These are not These are not just all of the pitches that Martinez got whiffs on or anything. These are pitches that the Diamondbacks put in play against him in this game, and yeah, Jack, I think I count ten of these pitches that are out of the strike zone, and a lot of them are not even close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're chasing, and you know who chases more than lordus Gurriel Junior. You know, I don't know what his numbers were on this game as far as chase outside the zone. But you know, while we're talking about Pave and we have to talk about Lords too, his at bats just look terrible. He swings outside the zone all the time. You know, he's not hitting the ball hard. When he does make contact very seldom. You know, he can't really run anymore. You know, this is this is a problem, right. I mean we're hyper focused on paving, but you know, I think him and Paving are kind of neck and neck in the fives low fives for ops, right, you know, so it's not not a whole lot of difference there of what they're getting out of it. Lordis isn't catching anywhere near as much crap as Paving is, but he should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess in fairness to Lords, he is coming off back to back two hit games. Entering today, he had a couple of doubles in that series against the Cardinals. But yeah, the quality of the at Batjack has just been brutal. And for the season, he's hitting two sixteen excuse me, with a five point fifty three OPS after going zero for four in this game. And you know, there was a time with Lordis during his Diamondbacks tenure where he was a pretty decent defensive left fielder, and that at least allowed him to accumulate some sort of value when he was going through those valleys offensively. At this point, Guriel grades out as a well blow average defender and left field. It definitely feels like the ACL.
Speaker 3: Has had an impact on him.
Speaker 1: The sprint speed is down a little bit this season, and it puts a lot of pressure on his bat, not just to hit for a decent average, which he has not done, but also to hit for some power. And Lordus Guriel has one home run this season, six doubles out of twenty seven hits, So twenty of his twenty seven hits this season are singles. He's slugging to eighty eight and I wonder how long the leash is here, Jack. He has one hundred and thirty six played appearances at this point. It's not a ton, but it's also not really a small amount. And this guy named Ryan Waldschmidt that the team sent down recently has put together some pretty nice games down in Triple A. It feels like Lordis could be running out of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look again, I think that you know, most of the veterans are going to get to play. They're going to stay on the roster. Unless the team really surprises me, they're going to stay on the roster beyond the All Star break, you know, and then the run up to the trade deadline, you know, and I think we're going to see the old Vicel two step. You know, we're going to talk a lot about the trade deadline next week. But you know, something that you can consider is, you know, maybe they move on from Lords. You know, if they can get anything for him at all, even like you know, half a million or a million dollars salary relief, they'll take it because they've been bumping up against that luxury tax threshold. And they might try to you know, use that money to go get a reliever or something like that and then just you know, bring up bring back Waldy or you know, whoever they want to call up. So I definitely think that, you know, we could see something similar to last year, where you know, they move on from a few veterans and then go ahead and go with the youth and hope they get that shot in the arm, while at the same time maybe bolstering their pitching so that if they do get the offense, they got enough pitching they get through the season.
Speaker 1: Brian Waldschmid, while we mentioned his name, he's coming off two very good games down in Reno. Five hits in his last couple of games, three extra base hits, one of the is a home run that he hit yesterday, and he's back up to a three oh two, a threeh two four eighteen five twenty eight slash line down in triple A souh. You know, regardless of where the d Bacs stand with Lortis and how they feel about him moving forward, I think we're maybe getting close to the point, Jack, where Ryan Walschmid just needs to get back up here. I mean, the impact that he was able to make at times defensively, coupled with his ability to have pretty good at bats, you feel like, even if it's not all going to come together for him right away, I mean, he's probably an upgrade for the Diamondbacks given what they're getting from a number of different hitters right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, maybe they'll pull the trigger earlier. I mean certainly, you know, if he keeps doing what he's doing in the last five games, then they'll feel that their hand is is forced. But also you know, they're really going to have to make a decision then and move and just go ahead and move on from Lordis, because you don't bring Walt Shrimpt back unless you got room from the play. Yeah, right, I mean you bring him back then, Okay, he's got to start every day in center. You move Troy over the left, and that's your starting outfield period while you're waiting to see if Lawler ever makes it back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that's fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess Lordis could could move into the d H slot a little bit more consistently. Maybe there's a world where you move on from Horr Barossa and you bring wild Waldschmidt back that way. But yeah, lordus Guriel, in order to justify his roster spot, he's going to need to turn things around sooner than later. We have more to get to in this show. Some news regarding now former Diamondbacks pictures. Jolber Diaz will also maybe talk about some of the comments we see flying through right now.
Speaker 3: Shout out to all.
Speaker 1: Of you being here who are here with us in the chat after a rough Friday night loss with the Diamondbacks. You really appreciate you. Don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Sneak's territory.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens? Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager romount. See terms at sportsbook dot fandel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snak's territory once again. Shout out to all of you joining us here in the chat. We really appreciate you being here. Jack, there's some Joe Mather discussion in the chat right now.
Speaker 3: I see a few different comments about this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's fair to be critical of Joe Mather given how good the Diamondbacks have been offensively the past few seasons. I mean, the first half of last year, this offense was among the best in baseball. The second half took a step back. But I think you trade Gino and Josh Naylor and Rydald Grishick, and that's not exactly a surprise that that happened. This season, the d Backs offense has ranked more more around the middle of the pack, a little bit below that here lately. So what do you think, Jack, Is it fair to be critical of Joe matter right now?
Speaker 2: It's fair. It's absolutely fair to be critical, you know, but when you're talking about calling for his job, you know, there's just so many factors to take into account. You just can't look at the recent batting line. As you know, personnel matters. You don't know exactly what's being said or done, what kind of information you're getting from the front office. There's so many different nuances to all of this, you know. And look, I mean, nobody was talking about firing Joe Mather at mid May or late May when the offense was looking better, at least on the results end of things. I did point out several times in late April and early May that, you know, the expected stats were considerably worse than the actual results. But I didn't want to like beat that to death because you know, it's kind of a DeBie Downer thing to do when the team was hitting better. But it was a fact, and anyone can go back and use the selective beginning endpoints and figure that out. So I don't know, I mean, I'm trying not to be biased. I know Joe personally. I think he's a good guy, and I think he's a good coach, and those are my honest beliefs. So you know, I think that calling for him to be fired or certainly not something I'm prepared to do, but I think it's fair from the fan perspective to wonder, you know, is this is Joe Mather helping the hitters or not? Or is you know, is it a hitters problem? Do they need a new voice? All of those questions that those are going to come up. And look, if Tory doesn't make it, you know, if he doesn't get extended, if he's fired at the end of the year, they'll probably let the whole coaching staff go and start all over. So that's that's reality. I did want to make it. I want to make a gentleman's bet with Scott mac thirty five thirty nine. Okay, not calling you out here at all, just you know, just kind of caught my attention, and you said, once Gallen and Smith are released, their careers are done. So so my gentleman's bet is if Gallon and or Smith, if either one of them or dfaid, then I think that neither of them will clear waivers, right you DFA them, another team you know could pick them up. Maybe not Gallan only because of the money, but certainly Smith, there's no way he clears waivers, Gallon might only because of the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think Gallen would would very likely clear waivers at this point given the performance. But yeah, it's not like the Diamondbacks would be able to get something for him in a trade, so they would probably just have to release him and then he would of course wind up signing with another team.
Speaker 2: Yeah league minimum. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I definitely agree with you there.
Speaker 1: And and Peven Smith is a guy that I mean, look if if if the Diamondbacks acquired Peven Smith and you knew absolutely nothing about him, you would look at his Baseball Reference page and you would see that he had an eight ninety six OPS in twenty twenty four, a seven ninety seven OPS in twenty twenty five, and that he's been bad for you know, sixty plate appearances in twenty twenty six. And he'd probably be pretty ecstatic that you just got yourself a left handed hitter for nothing. You didn't have to trade anything for him, and you can just plug him into your lineup and see if he can turn it around. You'd see that his walk rate is high, you'd see that his strikeout rate is low, and he'd probably be like, yeah, this I don't have why did the Diamondbacks let go of this guy?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Granted, those of us who have actually watched Peven Smith for the past few years would understand why the Diamondbacks would make that sort of decision, But yeah, Peven Smith on the surface is still an asset that is, I'm not going to say coveted around the league, but certainly someone that another team would be happy to take on.
Speaker 3: They didn't have to give up anything to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And you know, thanks for the correction. You're right about the waivers situation. You know, clearing waivers and then getting picked up a league minimum two different things. I guess the point is is that you know, both of them would still have major league jobs. It's a Diamondbacks release them. They would end up in the major leagues, both of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that is very fair to say. We got a super chat from our good friend Philip. Philip comes through again, Philip, We appreciate you forty nine ninety nine super chat. Philip says, one of the more depressing seasons in recent years, just nothing going on to consistently be excited or happy for any good game. Quickly gets overshadowed by injury or bad play. Love you guys, thanks for dealing with the slog of Dbacks analysis. We appreciate you, Philip, and we are happy to be here along with you. This is just kind of what Diamondbacks baseball is like, Jack I said it on a show recently, where you know, when when things are feeling good, they're probably not actually that good, and you should be prepared to have your heart broken. And on the flip side, when it looks like the bottom is going to fall out, like the middle of last season and they're going to be irrelevant for several months, they're probably going to bounce back and kind of catch your attention a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's just the nature of this baseball team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, there's still a game over five hundred. They're not out of it. You know, things could turn around. Sometimes they look really bleak and then all of a sudden they bounce back. I mean, you know, even if you go back to twenty twenty three, I mean they got off to that incredible start. Their first eighty games, they were forty eight and thirty two, and then you know, by early August they were under five hundred. Like you know, they went they turned so bad that it was like, what the heck happened to this team? And then somehow they got hot again in August, barely held on in September and made it to the playoffs, and then they go all the way to the World Series and by the time they had fallen under five hundred in twenty twenty three. I don't think any of us imagine what could happen. And I'm not saying that that's what's going to happen with this team, but like you said, I'm going to definitely back Jesse up here. Like every time we think we have it figured out or every time we're at our darkest moment, it seems like this last three four years iteration of the team turns it around. Now. Obviously they didn't in twenty twenty one, and you know, kind of had a nice little bump in twenty twenty two for a month or two with the young kids, So it remains to be seen where they're going to land. You know, we're here to be honest with you guys and tell you what we see and what we think, and you know, we don't sugarcoat it when it's bad. But thankfully I have Jesse to also kind of keep me from diving down the gloom and doom rabbit hole once in a while when things are a little rough, because I'm kind of more with you guys sometimes in that way emotionally, I'll definitely dive off that ledge, and Jesse's been there to catch me a few times.
Speaker 3: Happy to help.
Speaker 1: One piece of news we wanted to get to you before we get out of here. Diamondbacks Former Diamondbacks right handed pitching prospect Gilbert Diaz was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Tigers. That officially took place today. The Diamondbacks designated Diaz for assignment back on June twenty first. That came in the immediate aftermath of Zach Gallen's last outing. Of course, Gilbert pitched in that game right after Gallon and gave up seven runs. It was one of the ugliest pitching performances by a Diamondbacks pitcher this season, and it was a little surprising. I mean, certainly Diaz did not pitch well in that game, but he has minor league options remaining. It wasn't like the Diamondbacks, you know that there was no reason to think that Diaz could be something down the line, but they decided to designate him for assignment, and unsurprisingly, another team saw a young pitcher.
Speaker 3: Is what is Gilbert at this point?
Speaker 1: He's he's twenty five years old, still reasonably young, with minor league options remaining, and the Tigers decided to claim him.
Speaker 2: I just think back to when he first came up in twenty four and you know, his first doubting or two, and we just thought, oh boy, you know we might have something here. Yes, the fastball might be a little bit straight, but he looked like, you know, he could had maybe enough in the breaking ball to offset it. And you know, the results were certainly good at first doubting right, but unfortunately just didn't really work out for him. But you do wonder like, was there something else going on? It was odd, like if you felt good enough about him to bring him up. Yeah, you know, that one outing in that very bad situation certainly didn't seem to be enough to DFA him. I mean, had they already decided to do that before that outing? Did that outing cause that? Or did something happen during that outing that made them uncomfortable with him? You know, maybe he was shaken off pitches or not going by the game plan or who knows, And I'm just speculating. It's just odd that he got you know, DFAD in that situation so quickly. Again, if if you were going to dfa him, why'd you bring him up? Why did you bring up somebody else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess you could make the case that the dbacs needed a forty man roster spot. That was the day that they selected Jose Cabrera because he was he was going to make his major league debut. They were called Cole Drake at the same time, but he was already on the forty man roster at that point. So I guess then it becomes a comparison game between you'll Diaz and some of the other up and down guys that they have on the forty man roster right now. Those guys include Dylan Ray, Katee Stroud, Andrew Hoffman. Of course Juan Bergos that we saw pitch in this game. Philip Abner, I guess the d Backs maybe just felt like they liked those other guys more than they liked Gilbert Diaz.
Speaker 2: Well, apparently because those other guys are still in the forty and as not.
Speaker 3: Enough said I guess that's I guess that's fair. Well.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks have two more games against the Tampa Bay Rays this weekend. Officially, the Rays do not have a starter listed for Tomorrow. Jose Cabrera will make the start for the Diamondbacks in the finale of the series. It's gonna be Merril Kelly against Drew Rasmussen, one of the best pitchers in the American League. Is certainly a tough matchup there for the d Backs in the finale. They are forty one and forty after this loss, which actually I'm realizing this is the halfway point of the season for the Diamondbacks. Did you have a point to make, Jack, did you find some Yes.
Speaker 2: We have a starter. They've just put it up. Former diamondback Cole Slcer will start for the race, so that's an opener situation. He's a reliever, and then they'll bring in a bulk picture. I don't know who the bulk picture is yet. I have to dig around and find that information. But Cole Sulcer, former diamondback, will be the opener for the Rays on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Sulzer had a one point nine to nine ERA for the Rays last season, but just a five point four zero ERA this year, so maybe the d Backs can jump on him early in that game tomorrow. We will we will see how that goes. Once again. Diamondbacks have now completed the first half of the twenty twenty six season, and I do just have to point out, Jack, the Diamondbacks are on pace for eighty two wins, and I also predicted that they would win eighty two games before the start of the season, So I'll just take my victory lap. We can assume that the second half is going to go exactly the same, and I'm going to be spot on here, right, that's fair to say.
Speaker 2: Just double up the win record and double up every stat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, Yeah we can. This is the day we can do that.
Speaker 1: You can just double any stat for any Diamondbacks player, any team stat that you like, and there you go. You'll be able to see the future and see how it's going to be at the end of the year. That is not exactly the case, but the Diamondbacks have completed the first half of the season. They are a mediocre baseball team, which is sort of what we thought they would be going into the year. Thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time. As always, you can find us on Twitter. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Stinks Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI And as I said from the top of the show really helps us out. If you drop a like on this video, be sure to do that before you head out. Leave us a comment for joining us after the fact. We want to hear from you as well. And if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify one of those platforms, it also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. Jack, any final thoughts here as we head into the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking forward to diving into the trade deadline. We're going to be doing some episodes once a week for next month or so, really focusing on the trade deadline, and our first one is coming up very soon.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: We are planning to record on Sunday evening, and you can expect to see another episode from us either late Sunday night or maybe more likely early on Monday morning. That'll just be a recorded show, but we will have a live post game or two coming up.
Speaker 3: Next week, so be sure to stay tuned to our Twitter profile. We'll be sure to tweet out our schedule there.
Speaker 1: Thank you again to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory very very soon