Speaker 1: Well, well, well Boost these listeners. My goodness, we have such a treat for y'all. I can't I can't even believe I'm about to say what I'm about to say. I have goosebumps running up my arms because of what I'm about to say. Every now and then on Myles and Jackob mad Boosti's we have isteam guests today is a very special moment. I can personally say one of my favorite basketball players of all time is joining us on the pod.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: I know, I think we were both fighting over who loved our guests more, and I think we netted out to I guess we call it a draw.
Speaker 2: That way, we.
Speaker 1: Didn't we can maintain the friendship of our co hosting. We are honored to welcome to Myles and Jacob mad Boosti's twenty twenty four Hall of Fame class member, eight time All Star, the ninety eight ninety nine Rookie the Year, two time NBA All NBA Gold Medal winner, one of my favorite basketball players. Vin Carter Welcome, Sure, thank Youka Canada AKA Vince already told you about it, but here we are. Vince, I mean, let's just start off really quick. Now, you played over the course of the nineties, the two thousands, the twenty ten's, right up to twenty twenty, we got to ask you, man, was there ever a time you felt that the shorts were too baggy? No?
Speaker 3: No, because I remember a time that we would say they weren't baggy enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then there was maybe someone say an over correction.
Speaker 3: But no, I mean literally like you would say that where it was I mean to the point to where you would have to wear shorts underneath. Yes, to wear the shorts that are too bag if you would. I used to go to particularly when I played ball in Jersey with Tim Thomas, I used to go to this spot. I mean I would get my basketball shorts from a spot called Oloffs, and they had the best colorways. I mean long, baggy short like that's just what it was. So, I mean, it's funny as soon as you said that, that's the first place I thought about.
Speaker 1: Was there ever, Like when you got your uniforms and stuff, you were the players ever talking like, man, these could be a lot bagg here, like this uniform could be back here, Like did you be like would you lie to like the equipment manager and be like, you know, I actually need like a four X you know.
Speaker 2: I mean they understood it at the time.
Speaker 3: And it's funny if I if I would go back in some of my old stuff, let's say, particularly Toronto. So let's just say ninety eight to my first to say, my first eleven years. If you look at my either my jersey or my shorts.
Speaker 2: They're massive. Yeah, they're massive.
Speaker 3: They were like fifty two's or something like in size where I had no business you know, in something like that, that that size. But it was just kind of the way, I mean, the way it worked. And you know, you made sure you had a good drawstring though, right, Yeah, when you're playing tied, Well, that's just what it was, and you just kind of transition with the time to where I mean, I'm I just missed the era of not short enough. I just I could never really adapt to that. That's something I probably couldn't do. First of all, I mean I look normal to people, but I still have skinny legs and that wouldn't look good. I wouldn't like to see me. Yeah, I mean that's what they're looking for. I just that just wasn't my thing. Yeah, it wouldn't look look good. I mean i'd have to play great basketball to kind of deter you from paying attention to.
Speaker 4: That, right right, right, amazing, So another question about the shorts. Now we'll move on from the shorts. Who are some of the players today that excite you like you? Do you have a musty like league, past team player, anyone you wish you could have competed against.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna say this, Before I did think about this, I thought about something about shorts, and I'm a funny parallel because we think back to John stock and used to take shots from everyone because of his shorts being.
Speaker 2: Entirely too short.
Speaker 3: Right, look at where we are now, he's right in pocket right now.
Speaker 1: I know he's right.
Speaker 2: It's time.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say that because it's like I remember, we're like, man, don't give me the Stockton. I remember it was if it was above the knee, you didn't want them, right right, Yeah, if they're two inches close to the knee, they don't want them because they're too long.
Speaker 2: So anyway, but your question.
Speaker 4: No, I will say that I think the problem or the way that the whole baggy shorts got started, like when I started playing basketball in the early nineties, like in elementary school. The uniform that they gave us, like you could see briefs underneath those, like they were so short, it was like a wrestling one, Like what is happening? So then I would like sag them down and like.
Speaker 1: You yeah, it just.
Speaker 4: Look like a penguin out there, like it was. It was really bad. So like I do blame whatever they were doing in the Probably those uniforms were bought in like the sixties and seventies, like right after it was right after the Belton Yeah yeah, yeah, so there that it was an over correction maybe, but I was I was always jealous of how how big the shorts were at the at the college.
Speaker 2: And permission level Fab five. I mean, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Know absolutely they considered MJ believe it or not, with the Baggie had the baggy shorts right in his time, and.
Speaker 2: Like you know, you go back and look at it like wait.
Speaker 1: What halfway down between yeah.
Speaker 3: Correct and then you I mean yeah, I mean it's like ride about. You're right, it became the Fab five, which I think that was took it to another another level.
Speaker 1: But you were never going like TJ Ford with it? Did you mean them of those pictures where they were like.
Speaker 3: Those Yeah, yeah, where you were doing stuff like that like they. I I wish if I were going to talk about this, I could probably pull out some old shorts like that could fit probably two people.
Speaker 1: You know, they look like watchers before you or something.
Speaker 3: Shorts, just regular shorts or some basket or just the you know, we used to wear basketball shorts for just everyday life.
Speaker 2: They were like that, like that t J four picture for.
Speaker 4: Sure, right, this guy's legs must have been enormous.
Speaker 1: As archaeologists or like he was a giant, like there was no other explanation for sure. But yeah, the question, sorry, back to the question, the non short related question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who are you excited about right now? Anyone who reminds me of you, anyone you feel like is unprecedented.
Speaker 3: I mean I get the opportunity to call games and talk about basketball and watch So there's a lot of fans.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate I've been working at it. There's a lot of guys that I'm fans of. I mean, this the new generation is next up and very capable. I mean, what's that Lebron wants like Lebron Lebron area. Let's just say Lebron steps away from the game, we're gonna be looking for the next and I think there's some you know Anthony Edwards for instance. Yeah, I mean there's a Luca. I mean, you still have a Kyrie for a while, John Morant. I think Jalen Brunson gives you a I think he's he'll be loved like Alan Iverson because of his stature, because he's he's a shorter guy. And you can relate to a guy who's that hype like Brian Iverson more so than a guy who's six eight, because that's that's you know, that's not what you see every day or you know, that's not the average hype player. But when you look at Jalen Brunson to do what he's done and to be able to control a game.
Speaker 2: And we heard the narrative.
Speaker 3: We hear the narrative all the time about little guys can't get it done, little guys can't take their team this. I mean, he put everybody on his back and said let's go so and it'll be interesting to see where the Knicks will be if he did not get hurt. And I mean amongst everybody else, everyone else as well, but he held his own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's just plenty more.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I'm interested to see how this Jaalen Uh Jaalen Brown Jason Tatum thing works out. If they win it, obviously they probably stay together. If they don't, do they stick together. But I think those are two talented guys who if they separate, you obviously that's another guy who you know, Jaylen Brown for sure getting the chance to be number one all the time. Yeah, you know, he'll make some noise in the leads. So there there's so many, so many guys out there still, So I mean, I mean, that's just name in the few. So there's a lot of guys that I'm fans of. There's not really one, but I mean I see some guys that I'm fans of, and even guys that aren't considered the top tier guys. I enjoy good basketball and guys who played their role to the highest level. And that's who sticks around, who has long, prosperous careers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just real quick, you know, I think a lot of people are just interested in like hearing people who played in the league talk about can you look at a French a Frenchman like that and not want to jump over him, and.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be an interesting challenge seven six.
Speaker 2: With athletic ability.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's not your traditional I mean he's not your traditional center where I say he's gonna jump, he's athletic.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's going to challenge you. He's not going to just stand there, you know. So, but you're different.
Speaker 3: I mean I would definitely, I mean my mentality, I would definitely try him. I mean, he's gonna block my shot more times than not, probably, But it's just like it was just like the YAO mean, the Matombo's, the Sean Bradley's all they are. The more you want to try it and and just to see what happens to me, That's that's kind of what it was. I mean, I remember playing Tracy and I when we knew we were playing YAO or.
Speaker 2: I didn't get a chance. I didn't really dunk on.
Speaker 1: Y'all, but just dropped down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the one. He was the one that.
Speaker 3: Got away, but never had never had the pleasure. But like Sean Bradley, Uh, I remember in Dallas, cut across the middle, middle to the left and dunky times. I remember like it was yesterday, Like Patrick, like some of the greats, Like that's kind of what it was. I mean, I had the utmost respect for the elite shot blockers of of the games of our time or in history, forget of our time in history. And uh, there's there's only one other guy that makes me laugh. Shack would be the other guy that I had a run in, let's just say, and it didn't work out of my favor, and I left that quest alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like trying to du on the building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, and if you don't catch it right, Yeah, it's the the end. The end result is more painful than the quest of, or is less worth trying.
Speaker 2: To actually accomplish. Like, nah, he hurt me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm gonna try it again. Nah that way, it only took one time. It's like, okay, Shack, we're just gonna leave him alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pull up, I'm gonna jump out of the way, floater. You know, this is those options like go through them, you better go around.
Speaker 4: You're doing it for him, You were doing it for him.
Speaker 3: Actually, he laid me out one time in the stable center early and all he was doing was just standing there, literally put his arm up, hit the ground.
Speaker 4: And I was like, man, immovable object.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not gonna win that battle.
Speaker 4: All right, we should we should take a quick break. We're gonna come back. We're gonna talk more dunking. We'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 4: And I do just have to say, and I'm sure you hear this all the time, you are responsible for one of my, if not my favorite basketball memory, which is the dunk contest.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And I was a college freshman and I've never had an experience like be So we were all in our dorms and after every dunk, everybody poured out of their room into the hallway and they weren't saying anything. They just had their hands over their heads and they were just screaming at the top of their lungs. It was, Yeah, I remember, absolutely magical.
Speaker 1: This was my freshman year of high school and I was about to go to my first dance. It was a Valentine's Day dance because it was that weekend that's when All Star Weekend was like the Valentine's My high school, me and my homie we stood up our dates to watch the dunk contest and missed.
Speaker 2: Our first didn't go at all.
Speaker 1: We didn't go because it was the dunk contest was right then, and we're like we have to see that. And I'm not joking, man. We lost our minds to the point where I remember like we were getting calls like where are you supposed to be the thing?
Speaker 2: We're like what.
Speaker 1: We just couldn't pick up phones, nothing like that, And it was such a formative memory. Again, like Jack said, that was like one of those times. It's not often where you see somebody do something on the basketball court and it just immediately expands your imagination for what is even possible. And that first dunk you came out with just the most milk, the cleanest windmill too, Like that arm was straighter than Tiger Wood's backswing.
Speaker 2: Here is the.
Speaker 5: Man that this crowd watched to say Ben's Connor with told Kenny Smith that he.
Speaker 4: Has four dunks, but no one was.
Speaker 5: Ever saying odd.
Speaker 1: Here is Frince Connor with his frost shot.
Speaker 2: Let's go home, Let's go home, Let's go home, Let's go let's go home.
Speaker 4: That is a reverse three six, you go on, it gets the grain.
Speaker 1: That is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Best building just exploded. I'm perfect. I'm the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: That was that's the goal. That was the goal.
Speaker 3: Like I and I tried not to get too technical when I'm talking about it. That's why I don't judge the dunk contests because like that was a thing for me as far as the straighter the better, because that's like that's the toughest I mean you can do. The is that is it really a windmill? Because if you go look at a windmill, they're all straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 3: I tried to take it. I took that literally as far as like what a windmill?
Speaker 2: Windmill?
Speaker 3: When you use that, okay, cool paper mills you can you know, you know what you could do with paper.
Speaker 2: You take a piece of paper. You convinded that's where you get a paper mill. You need to take it as disrespect.
Speaker 3: But I was like, that was my thing, So I wanted to, I mean obviously showed the world how I think, how I viewed dunking, my athleticism, my love for for for the art of dunking, and it has a dream come true to be a part of All Star Weekend. That's I used to tape the All Star Weekend and that's that's all I studied and paid attention on me, not all, but mostly what I studied and paid attention to it is like All Star Weekend. It's like, you mean All Star Saturday. All Star Weekend meant Saturday.
Speaker 4: You're the iconic moment as.
Speaker 2: A kid growing up, Like that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, the games are cool, there's moments, but like a lasting moment more than likely came from Saturday. Yeah, what All Star Weekend did for me overnight was truly unbelievable. I went from yeah, we know them in Toronto. You know we're out there. We weren't getting much air time, we didn't have any national TV games at the time leading up into it, to you know, Tracy t mac hates hates when I said when I talk about this because he did not want to do it, as we know the story goes.
Speaker 2: But what.
Speaker 3: Him going out there putting on the show, me putting on the show, winning it, What it did for the sport, the art of dunking popularity, our opportunity in Toronto was amazing and I just I went in to airport. I can move around a little bit. It was easy to fly up there, but leaving it wasn't the same. Sunday morning, it was a totally different experience. I felt different because I accomplished the goal, and I think for me, I accomplished the goal of wanting to win it, but wanted to put on the show. I mean, I just wanted to put on a show in general, people to really feel good. Like you said running out of your dorm, and that's kind of I'm thinking through things like this. While doing the Dunk Contest, particularly the arm in the rim, I wanted to people and and give you a different experience than you got from the first two Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Wow. Did you see that whoa, whoa whoa to to the to the arm and the rent where you couldn't say anything?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone's looking at each other saying what yeah, okay, yeah. Celebration like that. It's over celebration like I don't know, was that just in the moment?
Speaker 3: That was in the moment. That was never a planned thing. It's funny, I know, it was just a plan thing. Like the whole point. It just it happened. I did that same point in the Dunk Contest and the McDonald's All American Dunk Contests. I actually did a version of that, you know, kind of like that point. It's just in the moment, but it's not something like, oh, when I do, I'm gonna hit him with point to the dunk eyes. I could just out of bout the experience and I could, well, I can tell the story of the time. It's like that whole dunk routine that I did, I made that up on the spot. That wasn't my original team. So I think it was more thank goodness, I'm i'm I'm trying these things, or I'm coming up with these things. I'm doing these things on the fly and it's working out. And it's not like I was pointing to the gods like thank you. Yeah, the arm in the rim was like a so that that huge science project that you added a little something or twist to it, but you don't really know if this result is going to work out in your favorite because we could have easily been asking me about why did I try that, or never talking to me again.
Speaker 4: You know, so it worked up well, Thank you for putting it in for the listeners who don't know. I'm wearing glasses, so thank you for putting it in terms I can understand what the science project I tried. I tried to do the it's over like celebration. Like I tried to cram that into my life, Like I was, like I would leave a test it's over, guys like yeah, man, it's yeah, the test is over.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, you got your grade back. You failed over this.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this about the dunk cutest. You know, I feel like it was a cool feeling. And this is obviously twenty four years later, but did you feel like after you watched that contest you.
Speaker 2: Could do that make make any of those dunks? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what we did. I'm not joking. We lowered the rim to eight feet in my friends driveway and we all tried to just wind mill first, just to see if we could do that. We're like, bro, I don't have a vertical to fully. I mean like on an eight foot rim. It was real quick, but that elbow was bent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's kind of what I want. I wanted out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I say, like you when we see things on TV. We immediately tried that stuff at home, and I wanted to make it look as easy and effortless as possible, where if people felt like, oh man, I could do that, until you do it, or try it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean even like in that one Night You commercial you had. I even got on the ladder once like the Little Boy and that night commercial and just tried to jump off there and almost broke. Yes, it all worked out.
Speaker 3: And then again, it's funny we talked about that. We like we they said, we're expecting people trying to sue them from trying that.
Speaker 2: The lad like that.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what they were talking about it. But that's like the reality, and that's kind of you know, we were kind of reliving what I was trying to accomplish that night out in the commercial. It's funny, nobody really has ever really mentioned or talked about that, but that's really true.
Speaker 2: That's why that was created like that.
Speaker 3: For for that reason, people like, Okay, I can't do it, but let me get up here and try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to all those who actually sprained their ankle, broke the leg on arms and trying that. I was about worried about doing that myself. I was like, please don't fall off or breaking down arm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are the things that used to happen with kids. When Superman first came on, they would like jump off their house, break their legs.
Speaker 1: They're like, but I'm wearing a bed sheet as a cake, Like that's not what it was. Like, Well, that's your first problem. First start there, I think one thing. So like we're talking about obviously with the Olympics coming up, and we were just mentioning poor Frederick Weiss. Uh you know that is another moment, like I remember I I printed out on a color printer that still frame of you just completely flying over Frederick in that dunk, and I remember just again, that's another one of those things where it's it's one of those things you witnessed and you screamed too, Like I think at the end you're like what like you you're screaming that out. I'm curious, did you accidentally hit Kevin Garnett when you swung your arm, because every time I watched him, like, I think he may have been here.
Speaker 3: Subconsciously, I knew he was there, So if you noticed it, it was outward instead of across the body because all the way out. Okay, here, question, I'm gonna take you back to that moment. So that celebration, we were celebrating different things.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize I jumped over Frederick Weiss at the moment, so that I wasn't so celebrating jumping over him like KG will right because obviously he had the best view in the house.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I was celebrating because I thought I jumped too far. And obviously the Spike commercial getting hung yea blah blah blah, So that was kind of that was kind of my celebration because I'm in. I mean, it's crazy how I'm able to have all of this thought from a jump, Like when you're playing the All Star Game or with great players like that, when you get an opportunity in transition, you take advantage of it. So I get to steal. And that's what it was. One too dribble. I was just trying to get up and go. Ben Baker claims he was wide open.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: But if you go back and watch it, ben Baker in like this throw the lib throw the lib. I was like, really, for years, I had no clue. You know who pays attention to that?
Speaker 2: Did you guys know that? Did you ever know?
Speaker 1: But I did notice Ben Baker's face exactly after He's like, oh, well, like n Baker looks kind of shook after He's like.
Speaker 3: I just remember the initial contact from the farm, I guess hitting his left shoulder, and now I'm up there thinking, oh, I'm too far.
Speaker 2: The rim is way down there, and I'm rito.
Speaker 3: If you go back and watch, if you notice I didn't dunk it like up, I'm actually reaching for the rim and I dunk it with my you know arm, in with the wrist more so risk contact on the rim because I thought I wasn't gonna make it. In my mind, I thought I was gonna be a fingertip. But I ended up jumping and actually making it with plenty of rooms. So that is what I was celebrating. Wow, I didn't know that I jumped over him. I mean, if I sat there and thought about it, I thought maybe he moved out of the way, tried to take a charge of shell down.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say if you gave me ABC and that jumping over him and was d I would probably not pick that. I know, I wouldn't pick that because I wouldn't say, Oh, I'm gonna go jump over seven foot two guys.
Speaker 2: Night who says that? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: So and it's crazy and I'm always asked and I'll you know, and maybe you don't ask, but I was always asked. So how did I not know from that moment on to the rest of the game. And I said, I don't know, because I remember it being a time out, and I remember sitting on the bench and you know, I'm listening to coach talk or whatever, and I remember Steve Smith and some of those guys looking at me just like, didn't anything.
Speaker 2: In all these years. So let's say twenty two years, let's just.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, I never thought to ask any of my teammates how come you guys never said anything?
Speaker 2: Right? And I finally got to ask Steve Smith.
Speaker 3: He said, because you just jumped over a dude, and we were trying to see if like you're human and if you're real, like read something like that. And after the game is when I actually found out that that's what happened. Wow, I saw it on a little camporter. Yeah, you're like an out of body experience, right, watched it seven times? Wait wait, wait, wait, let me see this game. I jumped up because I'm trying to remember the moment and like, I don't remember any of that because that wasn't my focus. My focus was rim and rim.
Speaker 4: Only, yeah, and not throwing a lob for Vin Baker right right.
Speaker 2: Which I had no clue he was.
Speaker 1: He was yeah, because I feel like that sequence for us as fans is like off the back of that dunk contest. I was like, oh, he meant to do that, Like this is Vince Carter just showing you what the time it is like it didn't matter, like I saw what it.
Speaker 2: Was more so the mentality.
Speaker 3: It was more so the mentality that we talked about earlier, naming bigs and attacking the big like it didn't matter who you know, he's seven too, I'm attacking the big like if you're gonna try to block this, like I let's see what happened, right, And that was more so the mentality. That's kind of I mean, it was just a natural like I wake up in the morning, I see a big I'm going, yeah, I didn't have to about bones and food. God, yes, that is it's time to eat. And that's kind of what it was. So, you know, I just but I just never thought in my mind like yeah, I'm gonna mup over seven ft two guys.
Speaker 2: He gets to my way.
Speaker 4: Like that year right like that. That's one thing that I think he was a lottery pick. He was fifteen like the year before.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna say two things to that. We played them in the gold medal game and a similar situation happened, same side of the floor. He's there now, I'm like, I'm gonna try this again, right, and he takes me out. He literally hard files me, takes me out, knocks me to the ground, like onto the cameras on the floor, and I you know, it was one of those things like I get.
Speaker 4: It right, Yeah, that must have been pretty embarrassing for you.
Speaker 2: You're gonna try to do this again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just like, let's see what happens, because if he blocked me this time, I was like, oh okay, or if I could do it again, wow. So that the second time is when I actually said I understand right, I mean to jump over a guy who was six eight six nine, and I couldn't do it. I almost both of them, So it was just meant to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I figure with Vice at that second attempt, He's like, bro, I literally have nothing to lose right now. He's like, you already took everything from me. With that first one so amazing.
Speaker 4: Should we take one more break you come back with the rapid fire around the question? We will, all right, we'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess before we get to the rapid fire, we should we We do. Just need to get a little bit of a check here from Vince about who he thinks the best the best dunkers are in the game, So in game dunkers. So Vince, what we're gonna do is, I'm gonna give you an either or you pick one, and I'll keep adding another option for you until we get to the sound good.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So if you okay, if you're name somebody that saying yes or no, yeah, you pick between the two. You'll constantly pick between the two better, yeah, the better the two.
Speaker 2: This is not right O. Here we go. Sorry, I'm sorry some of you players, man geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we know you're the goat anyway, so look, sorry to everybody, but here we go. To start off Sean camp or Dominique Wilkins.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're not supposed to. No, that's not right.
Speaker 1: You gotta start off with.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, oh gee geez, give me a second. Mm hm oh and I know how start camp is. I'm saying nominee.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my gosh, man, yeah, sorry, I hate oh yeah, you know these people. That's right, You're not absolutely talking on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, right up to it, like, hey, bro, you think uh.
Speaker 1: Sorry, man, there's a podcast.
Speaker 4: And Dominique is a fan of this show. Keeping that in mind, Dominique or Jahn Morant, we're.
Speaker 1: Doing here, Let's ask asking questions of somebody who.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be a warm up, like you get some of those guys and then you're just.
Speaker 1: Going, we're afishing, man, we're efficient.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it to John Morant for the simple fact of height.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, yeah, but I think at the end of.
Speaker 3: This, I'm gonna take it back, all right, John Morant or Anthony Edwards. I'm gonna say job Morant for the simple effect of he does it more often?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, John.
Speaker 4: Morant or Vince Carter. No, I mean yeah, I think that's the right answer.
Speaker 1: Right answer me, Vince Vince Carter or Lebron James Okay, okay, okay, Vince Carter. Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Might gotta bring it. Uh So, I just recently said this, so I'm gonna continue to roll with it. I know, I know what Mike was doing, but I I like I like me, man, I'm saying it's the right answer.
Speaker 2: I just answer.
Speaker 3: I showed my respects to all these guys because I mean, I know today's world. You say something like this is an opinion. I just liked me in these situations because I just know my mentality. I know some of these guys mentality too. But hey man, Mike, the goat is the goat and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me have not the in game dunks. No, not that go to Vince Carter goes to the star Hill.
Speaker 4: All right, this is the this is the rapid fire round of questioning where we're going to give you a question you just sind the answer back. Do you have a favorite in game dunk.
Speaker 1: Of yours of yours? No?
Speaker 3: But I'll say the most talked about is the Alonzo morning dunk. M Yeah, yeah, which becomes the most controversial because of the back and forth of who if he didn't talk to me or not.
Speaker 2: So that's why I'm gonna pick that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good one. Uh, Vince, in your opinion, who's the most underappreciated of the truly all time greats. Like, who's a guy that deserves to be mentioned more? But it's usually like left out of the common discourse.
Speaker 3: I think what I like, Isaiah Thomas is one of them. Yeah, we talked about them, but we don't what he's accomplished at. We talked about little guys accomplishing you know, the feet of championship that I think he's He's one of them that comes comes to mind.
Speaker 2: So I'll go with Isaiah.
Speaker 4: All right, you are famously talented at many other things. You were, you know, a musician. Is there another NBA player in all of history whose skill set off the court you would steal? Like, is there a skill that you saw another NBA player had that you would steal from them if you had the opportunity to take a skill.
Speaker 3: I'm a golfer and I love golf, So I'm gonna say someone either like a steph.
Speaker 1: Or a swing is too pretty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's Ray Allen.
Speaker 3: So those two, those two guys, as far as I would try to steal their game, I'm getting there too. I'm a single digit or like, I'm not where they are yet.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're a single digit. You might have a future in this sports thing. Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I work at it, so I'm getting there.
Speaker 1: Man, what skill would you gift to me?
Speaker 2: If you could give me any of your powers?
Speaker 1: Fence, if you could bestow one onto me after I.
Speaker 2: Would love to give the dunking power.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you man, which seased to me to our next question, Who was the first person you dunked over?
Speaker 2: Ever? Can you remember? Wow?
Speaker 1: You're the way you're fishing like I've dunked over a lot of people. No chance I have you follow up? How old were you the first time you dunked? I was in sixth grade. The first time I dunt I was in seventh grade. The first time I dunked in the game Wow, And that was like once or twice in that game.
Speaker 3: I want to say ninth grade is when I think I feel like I see the ninth grade. I want to say ninth to tenth grade, but I want to say ninth grade is when I dunked on somebody. I was a freshman and I was the point guard at the time, so I was running the point.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I I let a lot of guys have it in high school.
Speaker 1: Seventh grade, that's wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seventh grade was my first end game done. Were you did you hit a lake?
Speaker 4: Gross?
Speaker 2: Was still junior high?
Speaker 4: Did you hit a lake Grossburger? Were you just like handling the ball because you were better than I was? I was?
Speaker 2: I was? I mean I was.
Speaker 3: I came in five eleven six feet uh huh, and by basketball season I be I was six three six four.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: But I was a freshman and I had a pretty good handle. But I was a little feller, right, and it kind of just carried over. And as I grew to six sixth or so, you know, I had a little handle. Now I'm playing, I'm one of the taller guys. I was a taller guy, but I was still playing shooting yards well forward.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's how a Legends made mm hmm. All right.
Speaker 4: And finally, we are planning a nineties throwback series this summer where we highlight players or teams from that era. Do you mind giving us a few recommendations on nineties guys we should highlight So far, our list includes Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, a guy named Vince Carter, Sean Camp, Young, Kobe Iverson Petrovitch from the Nets, and Reggie Lewis you got any anyone else you want to add to the list?
Speaker 3: Nineties, I mean I can give you a few. I think I should definitely be in there. Yeah, Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Ray Allen. Yeah. And also Big Dog Robinson Okay, yeah, yes, with.
Speaker 3: His ability to score in mid range, which is obviously a lost art, but he was one of the toughest to guard in the mid range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite quite period. So I mean I like that group nineties.
Speaker 1: That's a good group.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And finally, was it disorienting for you to try travel back in time to nineteen seventy five at Rucker Park and back then you were known as doctor Funk? Was that scary for you or how it was?
Speaker 3: I actually walked into that, to that to that on to that court. It was scary because I felt like I was actually.
Speaker 1: There because every yeah, all the extras were dressed up like it was the seventh No Lie.
Speaker 3: When I walked in, it was insane and it and everybody kind once you know, high, high high, and once everybody got into character.
Speaker 2: Right, felt like I was in seventies. Yes, crazy, that the.
Speaker 3: Way the way every insane shout out to Chris. Chris is a friend of mine who the dribble drive behind the back path.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The first attempt was on the money. I mis handled the ball the first time with the windmill. Yeah, his first attempt. We've never worked together. Wowow on the money. Chris was amazing the work with and and so like two or three times. I think my hesitation like, yo, you know, I'm gonna get the first one.
Speaker 2: All jump. I mean he put on the money.
Speaker 3: I didn't jump high enough, just just trying to get a feel. And I'm like, oh man, this we're talking about a professional here. And that was amazing to go through. And I mean it was a barn that commercial. It was insane, insane.
Speaker 1: Well, Vince Carter, every answer you gave us was the correct one. That Thank you so much for joining us. I mean, all your contributions to the game, the culture, everything to our memories were forever grateful. So appreciate you taking the time to chat with us. Uh And yeah, we hope to see you very soon.
Speaker 2: I'm always around somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep up the great work on the podcast and thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man, that's been on the golf course. That's been my chance to kind of just talk the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, I say, I know, I've been an analyst, but like I get to kind of talk like we're talking and that barbershop talk on.
Speaker 2: The talks with your buddies talk. That's kind of how I.
Speaker 3: Want to post the game and explain the game from how I see it. It's been fun. So yeah, the DC Show check it out. Man, it's been it's been. It's been fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, honored to be label mates with you on the network so you know it's always guys.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really think thing like I wouldn't expect them to have to oh hey man, Like, like I said, that was good.
Speaker 1: Like I said, we've I've had these questions ready for like twenty five years, so I'm not able to fire them off.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: So you ful filled a dream of mine. I really appreciate it. All right, Thank you so much, man, and thanks to the listeners.
Speaker 2: We'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Till the next time later, Bye bye,