Speaker 1: From Marhard.
Speaker 2: We're Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and.
Speaker 3: Ed Love Love.
Speaker 4: I'm Caroline Heine, Bloomberg's world headquarters in newlourmed Lovelow, also here in New York for the final time this week.
Speaker 3: And this is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: And coming up. And while we're talking the cyber attack of course, disrupting the US Treasury market, the world's largest bank falling victim to a ransomware hack.
Speaker 5: We have the story plus stability AI getting new backing from Intel. We talk about the cash infusion which comes at a critical time for the company and AI at large, with none other than Andrew Ung, founder of Google Brain and co founder of Course and.
Speaker 4: Call of Duty's Modern Warfare two It brought in one billion dollars in ten days. Modern Warfare three perform and how is a game about war helping real veterans in future employment. We talk to Activision Blizzard later in the hour.
Speaker 5: Now our top story ICBC, a China bank subject according to sources, to a hack that's a big one that we're watching. Why because it's mega You think about the assets that bank controls.
Speaker 3: Then it's going to have ramifications. You're right, it's mega.
Speaker 4: To put it into context, the world's biggest bank ICBC, and it's been here, as you say, by cyber attack, leaving the Chinese bank unable to clear US Treasury trades, forcing employees get this to send settlement details through a courier carrying a US basticw mertion Hali Bassett going back to basics on technology for us for a moment, I mean extreme events, mean extreme moments with a courier, But ultimately it really reminds us how all important cybersecurity is.
Speaker 2: Right now it is.
Speaker 6: And remember this is not the first significant cyber attack we've really seen on some more critical infrastructure in the financial industry. You've seen the same group here really target or offshoots of this group target a British fintech firm earlier this year when it came to the derivatives market. But the reason this is such a big deal not just is it the world's largest bank by assets, it's also the most large liquid safe market in the world that was disrupted for a moment yesterday as we saw this attack happen.
Speaker 5: Why you were hanging out on social media this morning and going back reading about ICBC, going back to twenty seventeen and sharing articles put that research into context with the news overnight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the reason that this is such a big deal is remembered that the market for treasuries has really brought in to include banks like ICBC, a massive Chinese bank in the US treasury market. So some of this is a treasury market structure issue. This is relevant to your audience at and the technology world because there's a large debate on how treasury should be cleared. ICBC has become a big clearing counterparty as well as large in the repo lending market. These are repurchase agreements that really fuel the heart of the financial system and leverage in the treasury markets. But there's a big debate now on whether treasuries should be centrally cleared. This would be through a unit of the dtcc A lot of fintech players are very closely associated with the DCCC because they care so much about the movement of different assets across the United States, let alone the world across different types of assets. But if they are centrally cleared, then these cyber problems have a more concentration risk. Don't they, And so there's a big question about what else is vulnerable besides.
Speaker 4: ICBC here and the people behind this ransomware finding it like a business extraordinary set of stories being put out by bloom bag nus to any Basset, we thank you for the inside track of really what it meant for a key Chinese lender. And well, let's talk about AI in particular when it comes in the context of China. A social intelligence that course a big theme in this year's New Economy form. It's been held in sing and Paul, but BLOOMGX spook exclusively with Cinnovation Ventures chairman and CEO Kaifu li Ai pioneer as he's known, is discuss the opportunities that opal intelligence can create and the need for regulations. Just take a listen.
Speaker 7: We wanted to be a global company. That's why we open source our best model to date, and that's what we announced this week. It's a thirty four B model that is the highest performance open source model for a large language model, exceeding methas Lama too by a significant margin. We believe open source will bring the world together. We think research is always about building on the shoulders of standing on the shoulders of giants, and we want to contribute from which we took.
Speaker 8: Obviously, there's a lot of talk about this whole I guess race between AI, between US and China here, How do you see this all playing out overall? And what really is at stake right now?
Speaker 7: I think the likelihood, given where things are, which is regrettable, is we have two parallel universes. American companies will supply their products and technologies to the US and other countries that want to use American products, and Chinese companies will build Chinese products for China and countries that will use Chinese products.
Speaker 3: So the reality is the.
Speaker 7: American companies and Chinese companies are probably not going to compete all that much in the same marketplace, but they'll.
Speaker 9: Probably have to compete on chip makers. Right, So the US Administration has said that some of the higher tech chips cannot be sold to Chinese companies. What does it mean for your company?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 7: We saw this coming, so we actually stockpiled a lot of Nvidia chips. So we're in good shape for about a year and a half, and I think the jury is out whether in a year and a half China can make equivalently or nearly as good chips.
Speaker 8: Time will tell you're not just targeting China but also global markets. And just want to how do you view the whole regulatory landscape right now when it comes to AI.
Speaker 7: I think there clearly needs to be regulation because AI can be used in ways that are harmful. I also think different countries will have somewhat different regulations, but hopefully there's enough commonality in them, so regulation is necessary. But also I think we shouldn't expect regulation to alone to be enough because a lot of these issues hallucination, misinformation, harm can and should be measured by technology, and we should let the technologies find a way to contain the technology, but not completely rely on them either. So it's really technology to provide the guardwail rail and the detection and removal of harmful and illegal content, but working side by side with regulations.
Speaker 8: At what point, I mean, do you think that it could actually disrupt innovation in some way? Are you concerned that the regulations could actually hurt innovation?
Speaker 7: I think excessive regulation will hurt innovation, and I think we as a technology community are willing to take some hits and be slowed down somewhat for the good of humanity, but not so much so that will completely stifle innovation.
Speaker 9: How difficult is it? And this is one of the conversations that we try and have with policymakers. First of all, policymakers probably don't regulators don't understand how quickly or how slowly this comes compared to someone like you and your expertise. So what's the biggest mistake that they could do now?
Speaker 7: Well, I think a moratorium would be a huge mistake. It's not enforceable and it's not going to be effective. You have to let technology move forward. I think things that they should do are to promote letting technologists, fixing hallucination and other problems. And I think they should use existing laws to punish those who misbehave for example, for spreading misinformation. We have laws in every country on that already, just use them.
Speaker 5: Exclusive interview with Sinnovation Ventures chairman and CEO Kai Fu Lee at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum in Singapore, and he referenced in video Caroline. It's the subject of the Techwatch column today, talking about how its earnings ratio is less than the estimated growth rate and talking about valuation, which is an uncommon situation me in But I don't know if you saw the news twenty four hours ago that they're basically the stock rose because it's working on three new AI chips specifically for China, and there Kyfu Lee was basically saying, in Video is the only game in town right now. Remains to be seen if China can make its own chick and.
Speaker 4: The fact they need stockpiled a load ahead of some of these restrictions. But going back to whether in video is expensive or not, what is it training at thirty five time sales, which by is like the most expensive on the s and P fie hundred. But many analysts are saying this is actually relatively too and that's a big right. Meanwhile, look, we just want to talk about another publicly traded company, Meta. The company is close, we understand, reaching a deal that will bring his mixed reality headset to China through a partnership with Tencent. Now calling to sources good manufacturer version of a headset using matters hardware, specifications and software with Metro and Tencent didn't respond to request for common Interesting the Metro actually reaccessing the Chinese economy from New York. There's a boom meg technology.
Speaker 5: Stability AI is raising new financing led by chipmaker Intel Stability raising just under fifty million dollars in the form of a convertible. Note that, according to sources, the cash infusion coming at a pretty critical time for the company, which has recently shed more than half a dozen senior employees.
Speaker 3: A big story in the world of AI.
Speaker 5: Let's stick with the world of AI and bringing Andrew um who founded Google Brain and deep Learning to AI and is currently chairman and co founder of course Serah and of course an adjunct professor at Stanford in the field of AI. And welcome to the program, Andrew, and thank you for your time. I want to start with the reason that you're so talked about right now in the news and the media, online on social media. And it's a view that you hold that big tech is talking up the threat, the existential threat of AI for a particular reason because you outline your thesis to us.
Speaker 11: So there's been a lot of fear about AI creating and the existential threat to humanity. But I just don't get it. I don't see any plausible path by which AI will make humanity go extinct. But the notion that they could just treace a lot of fear and unfortunately just creates cover for lobbyists as well as some regulators to pass laws that I'm concerned will be very cycling on innovation and open source, and so I think of this in the interest of some of the big tech companies to let these regulations be passed to shut up open source that some large companies would very rather not compete with.
Speaker 4: We've just had the AI summon in the UK, where many would say perhaps it upt some of the fear mongering our regulations as they're being formed the right ones.
Speaker 11: I'm very concerned about the regulations being formed both in the United States as well as in the UK and Europe. One distinction, i feel like there's more of the AI existential risk fear in Europe than in the United States. But I'm concerned about regulations on both sides. So the White House had released and executive order just a couple of weeks ago in which it's starting to put in place reporting requirements and maybe other requirements about models that are very powerful, and I'm very concerned if we'll end with one a path more open source software or at least past regulations that make it so difficult for people to write open source software, free software for anyone to build on, which has been an amazing contribution to the world, and it's a key for how innovators and startups compete and build.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of interest from our audience about you coming on, and I think probably the most common question was for you to ex how you see the intersection of deep learning, machine learning, neural networks impacting jobs. You know, this debate of displacement versus being an assistant based on all of the research and development currently happening.
Speaker 11: So it turns out that AI doesn't automate jobs. I know that the whole discussion has been worre air aultimate jobs, but I think a more useful analysis is not to think of AIR as automating jobs, for it's air automating tasks. So what my teams do is we actually take jobs, break them down into tasks. For example, are radiologists REUSEICX, raised communicates with patients, galicipation history is meant to s more junior radiologists, and on and on and on, and then to take all those tasks and figure out where are the AI opportunities. One of my friends every Brunos and an others had pioneer this technique, and it turns out that I think on this spot, AI does automate a tiny number of jobs in whole, but the majority of the time you find that for someone's job, maybe I can make them, you know, twenty percent more productive of and more productive, which means that they are still needed. But with AI they can be more productive. I don't mean to minimize the suffering of this much smaller number of people whose jobs will go away. But it turns out also that if you look at most waves of innovation, companies end up pursuing growth more than cost savings because you can only save so much money's cost savings is nice, but the growth, the revenue growth has no limit, and so most companies end up. I think we'll end up doing more.
Speaker 4: Of that, and companies need to reskill. And that's where Coursera comes in. How much demand have you seen? How much ability to satiate that demand have you been able to give?
Speaker 11: So I think coursertvet privilege to serve many enterprises wanting to reskill, their import their teams. In fact, just about a week ago we launched a new course, genitive AI for everyone. I think with this fear and uncertainty as well as massive upside, we wanted to teach something online to help everyone learn to use genetive AI in your own day to day life, for personal things or for work, as well as figure out how does impact your job or your business, So genetally for everyone. Launching Coosera just over a week ago, it was actually the fastest rain calls on the Polsera this year, with I think forty three thousand learners signed out in the first seven days.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a lot.
Speaker 11: Of interest to learn about GENITIVII and to understand how to use it yourself, how this may affect your job, and how does may affect your business and your industry.
Speaker 5: Vertical Andrew, this week we've been digesting Rock and the work that you Musk's done in generative AI.
Speaker 3: What is your assessment?
Speaker 11: You know, I saw it dropped from about not played with it myself yet. I think this is a sign of the rapid explosion of AI technology. Just last week, open Eye had a developer conference. That's exciting even I must release drop. I think you just had a typeoly on that released another open source model. So this explosion of technology tools and what would happen is with better tools, it opens up opportunities for businesses and startups to build a lot more applications that just were not possible before. And so I think that we're better tools the application layer. You know, not the media tends to talk about tools because you tech out here. That's exciting thing people want to hear from the two in companies. But two in companies will be successful only if the applications built on top of them are even more successful and generally even more revenue so they can afford to pay the.
Speaker 2: Two in companies.
Speaker 11: So while I think companies are in the year are brilliant and AMD and Intel for them to succeed, someone has made even more money to keep paying for these gps, and so I'm excited the applications.
Speaker 4: We optimism of course, Sarah chairman, co founder and as well as a wealth of other titles, professor, We thank you for your time. The Revenue Intelligence platform Gone and it's launching a new AI powered forecasting tool to help the CFOs CROs out there, basically four cost revenue bringing the understanding game from get this more than three hundred buying signals across more than three billion customer interactions as you captured on Comm's platform. I'm at Bendorf, you to say, CEO co Foundra Gong joins us. Now, So how much more efficient at predicting does this make people?
Speaker 1: Our testing have shown that it's twenty one percent on average more effective and more accurate than traditional methods. Traditionally, companies has been aligned on statistical models in some internal systems, using the voice of the customers and customer sentiment. With AI, it creates much better results.
Speaker 5: I mean, who are we comparing this with? Is this like sort of lead generation chasing al CRM and salesforce or is this kind of more like data bricks and the Data Lake product that they're doing out there with prediction?
Speaker 3: Who are you trying to be here? It's neither.
Speaker 1: Traditional companies have been using spreadsheets to understand how much they're going to sell this quarter or next quarter, using a variety of sources anywhere from internal systems, weather forecast, traditional sales records, and mostly sentiment of the sales departments the best judgments, which isn't very good, especially like in these challenging times with the macro and geopolitical situation. What GONG does. It taps into conversations of companies with their customers and it listens to what customers are saying, are they likely to buy, what's their sentiment, what are the budgets that they have, and turns all this into insights that are immediately fed into predictions, so companies can understand their changes to the forecast in near real time.
Speaker 3: What's your mote hair?
Speaker 4: You can obviously integrate salesforce data within GONG for example. How do you ensure that some of these big pairs don't unable to replicate what you've just built?
Speaker 1: Well, everybody can can try to replicate anything, but we're sitting on over like three billion customer interaction. We've been training the models for years specifically for that particular case, and it's not something that is easy to replicate.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, the aim is to improve the accuracy of forecasting.
Speaker 3: How does it work? How does the how does AI help you do that?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 1: You need to understand scan through vast amounts of customer information. For every customer that the company has, what are they saying or whether they're not asking If they're not asking about pricing, maybe that's a negative signal. If they're talking about like a frozen budget. That's a negative signal. All of that is understood by the AI to create a model that actually predicts what the projection is going to be. So you look at customer by customer bottom up and understand how likely they are to buy, how much you're likely to spend, and then you combine all of that into prediction. The importance is that companies can now use that either to upgrade, update their forecast, to plan their hiring and their spend Accordingly.
Speaker 4: You mentioned geopolitics making it harder to forecast. Now we only have a minute left, but I just want to ask you, how are your workforce currently in Israel? How is the company able to ensure protection of this time?
Speaker 1: Well, overall, the impact on the business has been minimal. We have about ten percent of people being drafted. But everybody's working extra hard and mostly it's like very difficult for people. Everybody is still traumatized by the atrocity of October seventh, and there are still over two hundred hostages with babies. So these are difficult times, but the spirit is super high. The amount of volunteering and citizen activity is super high, and.
Speaker 3: We thank you for your time as well.
Speaker 5: I'm at Bendoff CEO and co founder have gone.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Welcome back to Bluemo Technology. I'm Caroline had and Neil.
Speaker 3: And Imed Ludlow in San Francisco. There are more. Oh my goodness, have fallen for it again? You got me.
Speaker 5: I'm here in New York City. Here are some technology stories moving in the markets. Let's start with Trade Desk, a two day chart for a visual representation of what's a big story. Down eighteen percent in the session, on track for its biggest drop since May of twenty twenty two. This is an ad technology platform. It gave a week forecast for the current period. It also hit the names like Meta Snap that have such AD dependent businesses.
Speaker 3: But it's a big move.
Speaker 5: It's got us thinking about the health of the advertising business overall. A big theme for the show's day is also going to be Alphabet, the parent company of Google. We know that some of the pitch I is going to testify next week. That's more around the app store story, but in the European Union this carries about to tell us there is also a lot of regulatory scrutiny as well, and thinking what does Google do? Next to kind of revamp its business in that market. Here I am in New York City, and.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the EU for a moment, because look, Google has been pressured by the European Union regulators. It's made an effort to beef up the quality of its search engine.
Speaker 3: At least that's the word.
Speaker 4: According to the internal documents by the US Justice Department, DJ claims Google's failure to willingly make improvements that it proves it's illegally maintaining and monopoly. This comes them in news at Alphabet CEO, so which I will testify next week in a separate anti trust fight with Epic Gains. Boy, that's what going on. So Fordan can help us break it down. So what are we on the ninth week now in this particular set of investigations coming from the DOA.
Speaker 10: Yes, that's correct. This is spending the ninth week in the Google Search trial in Washington, D C. And that it's expected to wrap up next week, probably Wednesday or person next week with the final testimony. But we're not expecting to get a rolling in the space until early in the new year. The judges put off clausings until January, sometime around the new year, and so it's still going to take a long time to see what profile concunction of this trial is going to be.
Speaker 5: This has been a year where CEO is taking the standard. A trial becomes big news. Just tee up next week for us And why we care that Cunderpitchure is going to be speaking in that particular trial.
Speaker 10: Yes, So on the other coast we have the trial and a trust trial of between Epic and Google Play. And so the pitch I is going to be understand on Tuesday. He's going to be asked about the practices of the app store, and Epic is alleging the Google's practices in terms of distribution, in terms of pricing, in terms of fees are in a competitive.
Speaker 4: And yet as ed Is pointed out, despite all of this ferocious investigation and eyes from regulators, the Shares managed to weather it. Sarah, from investors' perspective, does this matter? Does it carry weight?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, obviously this is a giant company with a lot of business around the woman. But it's also it takes a very long time for these semi trust cases to point out. And as I said, we will get a rolling until next year, and it will be sometime after that to find out if the judge finds covers firingly on a trust laws, the whole process to even final remedy, we'll go to another trial which and also could take multipubles.
Speaker 2: So it seems very.
Speaker 10: Far off at this moment from the point of view of the first on the market.
Speaker 5: All right, Bloomber, Sarah Ford, and thank you so much. We're going to stick with this story, but get more insight from Sarah O. Lamb, who's a senior fellow at the Technology Policy Institute, Sarah Gray, to have you back on the show. Let's ask this to start. We've outlined the situation in Europe. We outlined the situation on the West Coast where I am currently not I'm here in New York City. These processes running in parallel as a researcher compounds. Do you think they will take notice of each other in terms of how it can impact Google?
Speaker 13: Well, in terms of judge a meet Meta in the DC District Court, He's probably focused on his trial, But in terms of just the questions around competition and how dynamic the different markets are, I think people will be watching both both trials. What's interesting is this type of anti trust case. It reminds of prior cases like Microsoft and AT and T at least in the DC District of Columbia courthouse. So whatever comes out of this decision will will be watched by a lot of people.
Speaker 4: And some of the little bits of intricacies of data of points of fact have been fascinating, Sarah. But overall what seems to be so hard to prove is it's kind of the counterfactual, right, what it would have looked like if well they hadn't been acting in this way, and if ever it would ever have been deemed not monopolistic or not. Can you can you just startarticularly how difficult it is to understand whether Google has been playing is a key competitor here or ultimately been monopolistic in its actions.
Speaker 13: That's exactly right. I think the counterfactual is the question. So you don't know what could have been and businesses make decisions product decisions all the time. So just last week in the case, they were looking at the EU choice screen, and so in the EU they required another page before the default browser, and so now users in Europe have to pick between a whole page of different browsers that kind of product decision. You know, it's not frictionless. It makes it harder for users to get to a browser, and so you always have to ask, well, the businesses make decisions to streamline the flow of their products, and so what would have been is a.
Speaker 5: Great question on the West Coast in the Eppic Games fight, is there any significance that Cinder pitch Eye, the CEO kind of spearhead of the company, is testifying.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 13: So it's interesting that you know they're calling him in as a witness for that case as well. What's fascinating is just seeing how these cases are pulling back the curtain on business decisions. There's so many pieces of information that the Google has to decide from to make their product competitive, and just looking at the different slide decks and the business data is really fascinating. You know, anyone, not anyone can be making those decisions. And Google they have people inside who are looking at all the different options and picking what serves their product.
Speaker 4: And not many can be paying the billions to other companies to ensure that they remain in a specific spot on a front screen. It's the whole timing of it all is fascinating. With Ai as well. Sarah Lamb just brilliant to have you on the show as ever, senior fellow at Technology Policy Institute. Now coming up, we're going to be taking a moment to reflect on Veterans Day, particularly, We're going to be doing that with two key people, Go Daddy founder Vietnam veteran himself, Bob Parsons, and also call a duty manager Johanna Fairies. You understand why next is the Bloomberg Technology. On this Veterans Day, we take a moment to remember and honor members of the military, which both in Nazak and the New York Stock Exchange observed with two minute moments of silence earlier today. On this day, we want to bring in Go Daddy founder Bob Parsons, he himself a US Marine Corps Vietnam veteran, a recipient of the Purple Heart, Medal, Combat Action Ribbon and Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. And Bob, we know you in the world of technology. We know you for Go Daddy for of course we're posting in made you a billionaire with that money, you've been giving back to something that we should know you more for, perhaps, which is of course your service how are you giving money? What sort of amounts are you giving as well?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, we give back money we give. You know, our goal is to donate a million bucks every other week and we do that. We try to support veterans organizations and we try to support a lot of organizations where they're having difficulty raising funds and they are well, I mean, there would be just us if we support them. So you know, you look for an organization like that, you'll find us.
Speaker 4: Those that are LGBTQ within service, those that are looking towards psychedelics for help, those of of course, you think MPF is one particular company, Team Rubercon another one you support. I'm interested in. You're trying to tackle sort of loneliness here as well. What is it that technology can't solve for veterans?
Speaker 3: Bob Oh.
Speaker 12: You know, technology is never gonna you know, I don't think it's ever going to touch PTSD, or it won't be in our lifetimes. That's that's for sure, because there's so many things that go with is. First is the loneliness that comes with it, and it's brutal, and it's a lot of the loneliness is self imposed because you know, with PTSD, you never feel like you belong no matter who or where you're with, or that you even want to belong. And that is that that is one of the worst things. And then you know taboo. It comes with a flash tamper sometimes depression up to severe depression, that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Bob, you found a Go Daddy in the late nineties, you sold Parsons to into it. You have this kind of deep relationship with tech. How does that expand out to the armed forces? Do you employ a lot of veterans? You know, what relationship does Go Daddy have, for example, with the Armed Services?
Speaker 12: Well, I'm no longer affiliated with GoDaddy, haven't been since twenty nineteen, so you know, I don't know what they're doing now, but I can tell you and my companies, and I have thirteen of them now, we employ veterans as much as we can. Matter of fact, my assistant Franciscio Sanchez, she's been with me, has gone on twenty two years, and she was a court born a Marine Corps when I hired her.
Speaker 5: Go Daddy founder Bob Parsons on this Veterans, they really thank you for your time here on Bloomberg Technology. Now I actually want to keep with Veterans Day and talk to Joanna Ferries, Senior vice president, general manager of Call of Duty over at Activision Blizzard. It is a big day because Modern Warfare three is now live worldwide. But you also have in game packs, specifically through the Call of Duty Endowment, Joanna, that aim to take proceeds from the sales of those packs and then help put veterans into jobs. Just explain the process to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 14: The Warrior Pack goes on sale today and it's part of our Call of Duty Endowment commitment, which we've been doing for many, many years. It's near and near to our hearts and all the work and service obviously that military servicemen and women have been doing to protect our freedoms and allow us to make great video games. It's been an incredible partnership and extension of everything that Call of Duty stands for. The Warrior Pack is a great way for our community to also dive in and show support and help veterans get quality employment and opportunities after their military service.
Speaker 5: Joanna, give us some sense of the data about how Modern Warfare three is doing. You know, you guys, is like to flex that the last title made a billion dollars in about a week or ten days. Are you on track for that as well?
Speaker 14: Well, it's too early to call any numbers for sure. Today is launch day, but it's such a special moment for Modern Warfare three. It's been awesome. I mean, even seeing so many millions of players already pouring in and saying it's some of the best Call of Duty they've either ever seen or seen in years is exactly what puts the cherry on.
Speaker 2: Top of a year's long effort.
Speaker 14: I think the other piece to your point about last year, we all know how record breaking Modern Warfare two was. We've been years at work listening to player feedback saying that they wanted to spend more time in the series, and so this was a conversation we've been having for many, many years about can we deliver a blockbuster premium title that's back to back in terms of sequel and narrative, and also bring iconic multiplayer offerings net new offerings for Zombies players. So in many ways, Modern Warfare three is this amazing sort of nostalgic meets new innovation gameplay party for all things Call of Duty. It's been very intergenerational in that way. It's been a special moment for all of us.
Speaker 3: And it came very quickly.
Speaker 4: What was the pressure put on self put on paps to get it out so swiftly after the second.
Speaker 14: It was really no different than you know, we're celebrating our twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: So when you think about it, in many.
Speaker 14: Ways, some of the secret ingredient to Call of Duty's powerhouse blockbuster chops of bringing premium releases year after year has been part of how we think about development creative narrative. The big difference on this one was much more so, how do we combine what is arguably one of the best multiplayer maps offering in terms of bringing back iconic favorites, modernizing them for a new generation, but also pouring in an incredible zombies element that has never seen its way into modern warfare. It's open world, it's expansive, so Zombies players are now getting some kind of flex that they haven't usually seen. And what we've also seen is Carrie forward this new endeavor that we also talked about for many years about if we're going to go back to back with two big blockbuster premium releases within the modern Warfare franchise, how can we honor the player investment.
Speaker 2: So if you already were.
Speaker 14: In on Modern Warfare two, now there's so much element of Carrie Forward where a lot of that gameplay and a lot of those weapons and engagement elements from last year are going to carry into this year instead of forcing players to have to reset, which was really what we would argue was the model of yesteryear.
Speaker 2: So we were signaling this big.
Speaker 14: Shift in how we were thinking about content releases even last year. And you know, it's been many, many years in the making, and it's just a tip of the hat of how Call of Duty is such an incredible content engine.
Speaker 5: Joined to Caroline's point, Bloomberg did report overnight that the development time for Modern Warfare three was about eighteen months from sort of conception to today. Traditionally he is to turn around a game like this, right, was that the timeline that you work too.
Speaker 2: No, that's wholly inaccurate.
Speaker 14: But you know, I understand, you know, journalists or other people from the outside may be looking in and make some assumptions or speculate on how this is done. But like I said, you know, I've I've been a part of the Call of Duty organization for now five years and just seeing how incredible the architecture around development has become. Like like I said before, we had been seeing for many years players asking for you know, more engagement, deeper extensions in the series that they were spending so much time in, and so I think Mount of Warfare three in addition to it being this incredible foray of you know, blockbuster premium rich content you can kind of pick your own adventure in so many different ways, but also bringing back some modernization to iconic favorites is a beautiful kind of combination.
Speaker 2: On the backdrop of our twenty anniversary.
Speaker 14: It speaks to college can release you know, blockbuster premium titles year on year.
Speaker 2: Like no one else.
Speaker 14: But we can also really extend the conversation and think differently about how we rally our development teams to make magic.
Speaker 5: Happen, Johanna, before we run out of time, there are two big audience questions, your gameplay questions, which are what are you doing about anti cheat programs? And also cross console play No PC is kind of the request.
Speaker 14: We get a lot of requests, you know, part of being this big and working at the scale that we do is that we have an incredible community and they're very passionate and very vocal, so we're always taking notes.
Speaker 2: But with respect to anti cheat, couldn't be prouder.
Speaker 14: I mean, the Ricochet initiative is twenty four to seven multi year, you know, endeavor for us where we've really prioritized integrity and making sure that we're always on. We just announced as well some of our more machine learning technology that we're pouring in as an investment to deliver protection for our players with respet back to cheating and hacking at scale, in addition to what we're doing with our human resources who are always on.
Speaker 2: In terms of this battle, we know it's a battle that's you know, never going to end.
Speaker 14: You have to be very sophisticated in the head of the curve on many many of the things that we'll see. But it's an incredible initiative. We're really happy with the investments we're making in that regard.
Speaker 4: Channa Fairies, thank you for your time, Senior vice president and general manager of Call of Duty at Activision Blizzard.
Speaker 5: Okay, time for going viral. The actors strike might have ended, but the impact is still being felt. For the second time in two weeks, Disney is overhauled its schedule of film releases, announcing delays to movies like Deadpool.
Speaker 3: And Captain America. Plus.
Speaker 5: Later today, we'll hear from the Screen Actors Guild at a press conference about the new deal. Blouem Post Philich Schellett joins us on set. So let's start with the delays, right. I think there's relief that the one hundred and eighteen day strike is over, but the content slate is still in question here going forward.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean the content. Yeah, there's a lot of movies being delayed. But also I think more broadly, you know, you're going back the era of peak TV that Hollywood was in for the past couple of years. That's over, right, We're going back to a much leaner time.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, what pushes back, what causes these delays, is because what few actors needing to go to too many projects all at the same time. How difficult is this to make the streamlined?
Speaker 3: It is going to be difficult. There's going to be a big pile up.
Speaker 15: But I think, you know, the promotion machine of Hollywood is going to snap back into gears. So I think everybody's feeling relief about that. Now the stars can go back and actually promote these movies that are coming out, you know, in December.
Speaker 3: You know already you see Breed Larsen is.
Speaker 15: Going to happen the Tonight show to promote The Marvels, which is out this weekend. So I think that will help just be able to you know, publicize these shows in the.
Speaker 4: Movies when I mean to find a details of all bit mined out, but I think ultimately what will change in the shooting of these movies from the renegotiation contracts, I mean ultimately also waiting for teamsters and others to then potentially tag to the streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, soon away.
Speaker 15: Well, in broad strokes, I mean, the two things they finally worked out were AI protections and compensation for hit movies and TV shows on streaming services. So those were the final two sticking points. We don't know the details yet, but you know, I think what they've said is that, you know, the actors will have some consent over their use of AI generated images of themselves, and also that there will be a pool of compensation created from hit streaming movies and TV shows that will then be distributed to the actors.
Speaker 5: And physics real quick essentially depress elated. This is just ratification, a procedural thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They just need that.
Speaker 15: There's one hundred and sixty thousand members of this union that will have to ultimately vote on the fine points.
Speaker 3: But I think that's largely given that will pass well.
Speaker 4: One thing that we're all looking forward to maybe is seeing some new content on the slate. Felix Jellette, thank you so much for all things to do with Hollywood.
Speaker 3: But that does it for this particular.
Speaker 4: Edition of Bloomberg Technology and for Ed's time right here in New York. I'm sad to say you're going back to the West Coast, not Hollywood, though.
Speaker 5: But it has been a good week in New York City. I've enjoyed it here. I am going back to San Francisco. Big week ahead, APEX, a lot of big names in town, but it was a big show.
Speaker 3: Recap on the podcast. Thank you for listening. Where we get.
Speaker 5: Yours on the Bloomberg platforms, Apple and Spotify, and iHeart for the final time this week from New York City. This is Bloomberg Technology.