Speaker 1: Recently, we posted on Instagram an article from an old teen magazine story about writer, and it says writer one hundred percent original, and then.
Speaker 2: Journal, I learned so much about you I did.
Speaker 1: Not know right now there's a beautiful picture of Writer's face, and then above it it says centerfold on page forty six.
Speaker 3: Okay, but here's the article. When it comes to summing up writer strong.
Speaker 1: He fits into the the See that's the thing. He doesn't fit into any category. Oh yeah, ask Writer the quality he likes best about himself, and he'll answer not fitting into a stare type is probably what I'm happiest about. Knowing himself well. Could also be one of Writer's appealing qualities, because it's true. Writer definitely doesn't fit into any particular type or warrant a neat little label. He's no cookie cutter guy who tries to look like everyone else and say the same things everyone else does. Writer is truly an individual, which is probably one of the qualities you like best about him too. For starters, writer has a unique name. How many writers do you know.
Speaker 2: That you did that? You chose that, You chose it your own category. Man, you chose your name. God so far.
Speaker 4: All we had is one quote where they asked me, what do you like about yourself? Right, and I said, I don't know. I don't fit into a category. That's what they ran with this whole article.
Speaker 1: Yep, and not so ordinary looks. He has that kind of boy nex door but with an edge thing going on.
Speaker 3: But his way of viewing the world.
Speaker 1: Is what really makes him stand out from the masses. Take writer's taste in music. Like a lot of fourteen year old guys, writer loves rap, whoa do at all?
Speaker 4: He does it all now literally never in my life have I loved rap Like I went to one phase at like twelve where I tried because everybody was getting into it and like just like no, not for me.
Speaker 2: So funny okay.
Speaker 1: But but at the same time, he's also really into classical.
Speaker 3: So for instance, when we actually tell us never like.
Speaker 2: Really not into it, No, no, you will you mind it.
Speaker 5: We went through a phase on boy too, worked.
Speaker 4: Into instrumental music in different periods, but yeah, not like oh, you know, a big chopin guy never chopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for instance, when we asked him to tell us his favorite song, he picked no not the Latest by Snoop Doggie Dog No, but a little baroque number called Cannon in D which yeah you.
Speaker 2: Love you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a CD called Canon and D Variation and it was just did you give it?
Speaker 2: I gave it to you. It was that song like nine different ways. It was so cool that. Yeah, so it was because of you.
Speaker 4: I knew.
Speaker 2: I thought it was because of you.
Speaker 4: I had this CD and it had just like, yeah, like a bunch of versions and they were cool because like some of them were like modern synthy, some of them were like really classical, and you could I think I just loved the idea of different versions of something.
Speaker 2: I always loved. This one was on like a harpsichord. Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 4: It was a good mind that. But I definitely had my favorite version. It was tracked two.
Speaker 5: Was that the classical one like that? It was almost like the Ferrest Bueler.
Speaker 2: No, there was one.
Speaker 4: It was like I think it had like a really it had like a more it was it had like an electronic music background, like there was a like I don't know, I'm gonna find this. It was my favorite track was either two or three on that CD. That's right, Well, it was a great song. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you very much, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: One thing writer doesn't like is listening to music just because everybody else says it's which is one reason you won't find Counting Crows on his CD.
Speaker 2: They picked.
Speaker 4: I know, it's so weird, like they must have just not talked to me and just decided to pick whoever was the top of the charts at that week or whatever. But they literally and then like that, I like wrap and then it's yeah, it's it's you. You wonder if this was put do you remember doing any of this interview or was it just.
Speaker 2: There's not an interview here.
Speaker 5: They pulled a quote like that's what I mean. So, but they didn't call you for this to say.
Speaker 4: Like, like I said, I used to do interviews with these these magazines.
Speaker 2: The first two seasons a boy, I.
Speaker 4: Did a bunch of these interviews, and they would sit with me, or they would stop me at events with a tape recorder and ask me like five questions really quick, and I just answer them.
Speaker 2: Or we do photo.
Speaker 4: Shoots and then they'd be like, hey, could you go talk to so and so in the corner And I wouldn't realize even that it was like an interview, but they'd be recording it and then like they'd write ten articles out of one interview.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't even I just don't know.
Speaker 4: Like the it's so weird to think about, what is the point of these these articles? Are these magazines? Right, It's like, who are they? It's like the it's catering to teenage girls.
Speaker 2: Well, this is social media. This is ninety social media. That's all. This is get to know you.
Speaker 5: It's the stuff that other people now put up themselves, like their favorite playlist and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But we weren't doing that back in the day.
Speaker 1: So this is just i'd like your Twitter page the end of it, which says his willingness to make like a full on goofball in public men quote, I'm constantly pretending to bang into doors and making people think I hurt myself my friends.
Speaker 4: I still haven't desire to do that every time I open a door in front of somebody. Like, right, there's a part of me that we're so used to doing. The face slam trips. Yeah, yeah, you did it really well though, you were really good.
Speaker 2: Once in a while.
Speaker 1: All this individuality makes writer one strafty bright guy strafty bright being writer's own what else but unique word meaning cool the end?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: It's similar to social media. Yeah, so interesting. I had no idea what I was getting into when I talked to those those no you know, like Ben just never did any of them, right, like he never did a single one and so never he.
Speaker 2: Didn't did he was he? Ever?
Speaker 4: Was? His parents said no, and I guess they had gone through it with Fred maybe to a certain degree, or just decided that it wasn't classy enough like that there was.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize that you're right, he never did these.
Speaker 4: Didn't know whereas like the three of us were like who wants to interview us? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, who cares? Because we just were like this is fun and this is cool. This is what being an actor.
Speaker 4: Is until I was like fifteen or sixteen, and then I was like, I don't know if this is.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do these.
Speaker 5: Well, you you also went to the next level though, you that you were one of the one of the Tiger Beat kids that literally like a Jonathan Taylor Thomas where you then.
Speaker 2: Go to another level. But sure, but still.
Speaker 5: I mean, you were probably one of the top two or three for couple of years, I would imagine, so that's was a whole different thing.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't it. You know, there's so not a good thing. Like it was not good for your acting, you know.
Speaker 4: If anything, it diminished your standing within the industry as an actual actor because it was like, oh, you are ten essentially to a male like equivalent to a male model. Like it's like, oh, you you're appealing to this side of your career as opposed to you know, any sort of artistic or expressive Uh. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, a little bit of a mummer.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm Roger Strong, and I'm will Fredell.
Speaker 1: Today we are recapping season four, episode fifteen, Chick Like Me. I believe We've made it here. It originally air January thirty first, nineteen ninety seven. The synopsis in order to get a better understanding of how girls think, Corey Intopanga disguise Sean as a girl and set him up on a date. Also, Eric teaches a coworker how to attract a man. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Steven Hibbert, and did you guys have any overall thoughts before I jump into our guest star cast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've always known that this was a pretty legendary episode. You know, it's infamous for obviously the big set piece, but I always remembered it as a very well written episode, and sure enough it still struck me as perfectly structured, incredibly well written, funny.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I loved it. I think this is top five Boy Meets World episode for me.
Speaker 3: I said the same thing last night.
Speaker 1: I think this is in my top five favorite Boy Meets World episodes. I think it's it has all the you know, exactly what we've talked about, with the right balance, the right balance between really funny, laugh out loud moments and yet a very poignant, relevant, great great topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought the A story was amazing. The B story was completely unnecessary. I wish it wasn't in the episode and it was all just the three of you together with your storyline, because it just it was wedged in. It was completely not needed in any way, shape or form, because it was.
Speaker 4: Those butchers like the theme, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was weird. It was weird.
Speaker 5: I just wish they just stuck with you guys, because it was so good watching that that way.
Speaker 2: And then it ended.
Speaker 5: It seemed like it ended very abruptly, like the show just kind of no your storyline just the show just kind of ended. And so if they didn't do the B story it, I think they could have flushed out your storyline more because I loved it and I wanted to see more.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to see more of that. Frankly, it went out like I mean, I punch a guy.
Speaker 5: No, I know, but then it's like you just kind of turn and walk towards the camera and in freeze f and it was like, oh that's oh, that's it.
Speaker 2: Like I thought there was going to be some kind of wrap around, some kind of something.
Speaker 4: I end up with the girl like I know, but it was, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I felt like it just that scene as specifically just kind of ended for me.
Speaker 1: I thought you actually met your B storyline ended abruptly, has never started.
Speaker 4: Story It was really like, you know, it's just kind of a conversation between two characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It didn't bother me. I mean it didn't bother me. I just didn't think it was necessary.
Speaker 5: I would love to have just seen the whole This could have been one of the weeks where I wasn't in the show and it was just your storyline, because I thought your storyline was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, thoroughly enjoyed the episode all the way around. I just I wish there was more of it. Frankly, really well written and really well acted. You guys were all even even the crazy like Ben being the crazies, any Korra and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so funny.
Speaker 5: It's so funny that it is just and you just you have to suspend belief with the kind of nobody recognizes you guys.
Speaker 2: Really but I had no problem doing that.
Speaker 5: I had It was just fun all the way around, and it's an important lesson.
Speaker 2: I mean it really is. Yeah, really well done.
Speaker 1: So guest starring Ryan Biddle as Gary. He's a Juilliard grad who played Todd Wilkins on over forty episodes of Sweet Valley High and was seen on Seventh Heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is so good in this episode, and like, I think so much of this episode works because of him. You know, he's like the perfect he just he's the perfect slime ball. Yes it is, and like, you know, to his credit, like, I mean, these are it's have to like just commit to you know, basically being on a date with a guy, like it was.
Speaker 2: It's fun. Yeah he does, and he's yeah.
Speaker 3: You're by it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And I remember, like it totally worked, enjoying working with him and like having it and watching it.
Speaker 2: Back, I was like, oh my god, that's so cool, Like yeah.
Speaker 4: He was straight, straight up cut from like the eighties bad guys, you know, Johnny from the Karate Kid kind of kind of look.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we have Katie Wright as Debbie. You may know her from The Wonder Years, Malibu Shores, Mel's Place, or the movie Idle Hands. She is married to actor Hank Azaria and is now a family therapist.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. And then we have Jennifer Campbell who returns as Lonnie and this is unfortunately her last episode three of a three episode arc. A common moment of departure, it seems for some of our guest stars.
Speaker 4: Wonder if that's actually contractual, Like you do three episode arc, but then why end the storyline the way we did where it's like, man, I don't, Oh, what did I just do? Like we're setting it up to where now she's gonna friend zone me, I mean something, and then never comes back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: We are barely in this Wilderness store. By the way.
Speaker 5: We built this in my head we were in the Wilderness Store all the time.
Speaker 4: We built this in a wilderness store a lot, but not as much as I remember.
Speaker 2: I remember this being in like every episode. Well it has.
Speaker 4: Been in episodes, it's just their shorter scenes. Yeah, maybe that's what the Wilderness Store that much. So you in your time there, right.
Speaker 3: Only in the Wilderness Store. So you was in the Wilderness Store.
Speaker 5: That's why I must feel like it's such a big part of it. Yeah, that's gonna be that, right.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like yours. Yeah, that's I think. So this is her last episode, huh Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then we've got Mark Arnold is Dave.
Speaker 1: He's got almost one hundred and fifty credits to his name, including Teen Wolf.
Speaker 2: We talked to him all week about Teen Wolf.
Speaker 4: We were just peppering him with questions all week about Team Wolf. We used to quote that movie constantly on the set. So when he walked on, we saw him at the table read you and I stopped.
Speaker 2: We were like, it's a bad guy from teen Wolf. The bad guy from Tea Wolf. It was so much fun talking to him about everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he also like Gary in this episode, yes, perfect, Like yeah, dude, like Alfad. Oh yeah, he looks like he's forty years old. The bad guy in the basketball team and Team Wolf. It's so great.
Speaker 1: It was also in Justice League, Blade Runner twenty forty nine and fifty two episodes of a nineteen eighty five show called Santa Barbara. Also, I have been reminded that when Hillary Tuck was on the show, she said she was only allowed to do three episodes because after that it would be considered a recurring guest.
Speaker 2: Ever, right, she said that didn't shit, and so they just cut it off.
Speaker 3: They were just like, you can't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless they unless the network or the whole team was willing to commit to a bigger page.
Speaker 1: It also makes me wonder how much they were trying to get around that by having people come back as different characters. If they were like, look, if we name them something different, we can say they'd only done one episode, but no.
Speaker 2: Because that would have because Hillary was different characters.
Speaker 3: I know that's what I'm saying, But I wonder if they were thinking.
Speaker 2: Of, let's name her something different.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can get around it by naming them different things, because it is. It does seem weird that, like if you have the same person play three different characters, it still counts as a recurring guest role even though those characters have still only done one episode.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And you also, I guess if you I guess my question then, especially with Lannie, is you know this is her last episode?
Speaker 4: Why not wrap it up where she leaves. Why isn't the b the storyline I'm leaving Eric, I'm in a powerful need to go home or something.
Speaker 2: They would have.
Speaker 4: Known that it's her last episode. I think maybe, you know, they could have been hoping to convince the network to give them more money for maybe or some you know, there's always this tension between the production budget and the realities of the creative whims of the writing staff, and the writing staff might have been like, we love Lonnie, we want to bring her back, and then they're looking at the budget and saying well, then you can't have this said, or you can't have this trip to Disney World, or you know, whatever the considerations are. It's a constant conversation. And but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers were hoping to leave.
Speaker 2: It open a little bit. Yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 1: So jumping into our recap, we start on our credits, and then we are in the school hallway. Corey proudly opens the school newspaper to show Sean his very own column. Also, I noticed here that the back reads Patriot Sports, which means we are most like the Patriots, the Patriots.
Speaker 4: Yes, did you guys notice our eyebrows?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. I say, I.
Speaker 4: Wrote down something strange with your faces, but I don't know what it was. They decided because you know, during the week, we did makeup tests to become the you know, the women like the girl characters, and they.
Speaker 2: Trip, they pluck both of our eyebrows. That's what it was.
Speaker 4: And so it's so funny to watch when we start the episode, we have like manicured eyebrows, especially for me, like I have, you know, gigantic eyebrows, and like even back then, I had bushy eyebrows and so yeah, so they're like super thin and like and I was like, something's oh, that's.
Speaker 2: What I said. I didn't know what it was. I was like, what's different? You see it in the classroom when I'm like leaning forward to Chorea, I'm like, what is going on? Eyebrows?
Speaker 3: Notice?
Speaker 2: I totally did is different?
Speaker 1: Well, we also should have noticed all of the all of the trash cans say patriots.
Speaker 3: Don't ask me how we.
Speaker 4: Missed this all this time, but just because we're staring at the blood drive sign all the time, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So Sean reads the headline is it just me? Corey nudges him to read on is it just me? Or does paste not taste as good as it used to? Corey laughs? Isn't that so true? Sean breaks the news.
Speaker 4: The idea that this is what Corey is writing, Like, I just.
Speaker 1: I also love that we have made so many Seinfeld references on the show that now they've just taken the like, what does Seinfeld do? He notices every man things. What's the deal with? Yeah, what's the deal with? And so this is Corey's I just it's so funny, isn't it true.
Speaker 3: Is it just me? It's just so funny to me. So Sean breaks the news.
Speaker 1: I know you really believe in your little humor column, but don't you think you should be writing something more important like the girls swim team and why they don't wear high heels, which I thought was a funny Sean thing to say. And then to Panga walks down the hall with her good bestest friend Debbie.
Speaker 3: We know so much about lots of.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Debbie is also there.
Speaker 1: Too, so she comments, Gary took you to Leon.
Speaker 4: It's really expensive the restaurant. They might as well just call it the French restaurant exactly.
Speaker 3: Debbie laughs, Yeah, I know it was great.
Speaker 1: The date was going great, but at the end of the night he parked two blocks from her house, and to Panga angrily folds her arms Octopus time on cue. Gary walks past the girls and turns to Debbie. He says he had a really nice night the other night and adds a little laugh before walking away. Debbie finishes her story all over me, what happened to the nice guy I had dinner with? All guys are jerks on dates? Tapanga corrects her, not all guys. Debbie Corey, who's listening nearby, puts his hand to his chest. He knows she's talking about him. Sean bursts his bubble. Is it just me or should you not be proud of that?
Speaker 2: Got some learning to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corey wipes the smile off his face and tries to act cool. Debbie, who I just noticed in this moment, has a very cool jungle themed trapper keeper. Her folder is a nice, awesome time capsule from the nineties, just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: She's continuing to talk to Tapanga after a night of fighting them off. I don't know if I want to.
Speaker 1: Go on dates anymore, she jokes, She'd rather spend her nights at the library. It's that pathetic to Panga agrees, guys and girls have such a different idea of what a date is supposed to be. Debbie, he wonders what goes on in guy's heads and to peg emotions towards Corey and Sean want to find out there's two of them. So Debbie asks Corey and Sean what goes on in their heads? And Corey immediately answers to Penga twenty four hours a day, it's the Tapega channel in here.
Speaker 3: To Pega hands him a treat.
Speaker 1: What a good boy. Corey giggles at the reward. Sean asks, don't you think that guys and girls are looking for the same things on dates? Debbie tells them what girls are looking for a good conversation and a good sense of connection. Sean wonders, you're not interested in making out, and Debbie responds, maybe I am, and maybe I'm not, but it shouldn't be expected. Sean argues, then, how are we supposed to know? What's okay? Debbie ensures him they'll let the boy know, but usually boys don't listen. They're too busy planning their next move to hear their dates. Say no, Sean, who of course wasn't listening, asks.
Speaker 2: Jan what this is great dialogue?
Speaker 3: So great?
Speaker 5: This is really good because it is also genuinely the boy asking the girl how am I supposed to know?
Speaker 2: And don't you want the same things? And it's like, well, it shouldn't be expected. It's just really really smart dialogue all the way around.
Speaker 1: It's really smart because I love that they didn't make it seem like, of course girls aren't interested in making out. It's like exactly, actually, yeah, I might totally want to make out with you.
Speaker 2: But you know, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Love the exposition getting to like the debate between Shawn and Debbie. But once Shawn and Debbie get into it, I like it. Like that's what I was like, Oh, because but all this the preamble of like setting it up, it just felt like expositional setup. But once we get into this argument, I was like, this is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this conversation is great.
Speaker 4: This is a real conversation. And and yes, she has given so much good like argument. You know, yes, she's provided with it's so great. She's not a foil. She's actually like a has a point of view and is nuanced, and it's a good argument. Like it's a good yet that people can still have.
Speaker 5: It's different than a lot of the way that the girls are written on the show. She came in with her own point of view, like you knew this girl away.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 2: I really liked that conversation.
Speaker 1: Corey points out, this is why I write my funny column, to take us away from the drudgery of interesting conversation.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but the only thing I was thinking about during during the beginning of part of the scene was how And I get why they couldn't do it for Girl Meets World, But you think, how interesting, what what? No, how interesting Corey would have been had he been a journalist, And.
Speaker 3: I forgot how much they set that up.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I know they had to do it because they needed the new mister Feenie, and they did it for Girl Meets World.
Speaker 2: But Corey as a journalist, I think could have been a really interesting way to go.
Speaker 1: To peg A counters that he should be writing about something that affects people. Debbie agrees Corey should write a column about why guys are such big jerks on dates. Sean asks, if this is how she feels about guys, why even go on dates at all? She contemplates for a second, then agrees, you're right. I'm done to Panga watches her walk away Way to be sensitive Sean. Sean rolls his eyes, really pays to be honest with a girl, and slams the newspaper into Corey's chest as everyone storms away. Corey, now alone in the hall, says aloud, is it just me? Or is it just me? And then we are in Phoenie's classroom. Poenie is lecturing about the book Black Like Me, written by John Howard Griffin.
Speaker 4: A like man, you have a black background actor. But one of the first times in the classroom.
Speaker 2: I noticed that too.
Speaker 4: There are two this scene. But it's just like, what okay, yes, thank you, thank you producers of Boy Mets World, because you know, somebody looked out and was like.
Speaker 2: They're talking about black like me. We should probably not have an all lily white.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Philadelphia in philip at a public school in Philadelphia, all white people, not an African American in the place.
Speaker 2: Until then we talk about black like me. I will say. It's always nice with the book reference.
Speaker 5: There's something very comforting about Feenie teaching a book that's going to have something to do with the show.
Speaker 2: Just very classic boy. I love it every time.
Speaker 1: So the white man, John Howard Griffin had his skin temporarily darkened so he could experience life through the perspective of a black man. Corey wonders while seated next to those two black background actors who have no lines, wouldn't it have been easier to just ask.
Speaker 2: And one of the guys in the background like shakes says.
Speaker 3: Up, guy, I know, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Phoene explains there was so much distrust between the races, Griffin felt that he could only understand segregation if he experienced it himself. Sean, then hit with an idea, says, this should be Corey's next story. To understand girls, Corey needs to experience the world from a girl's point of view by becoming one. Corey scoffs that's crazy talk, but Seawan insists, no, you dress up like a girl and write about it.
Speaker 3: Chick like me.
Speaker 1: Sean says, it would be a meaningful article, not just some silly column. Corey argues, it's not a silly column. Peoene, who apparently has been listening the whole time, chimes in, yes, it is, which I love. Corey asks Feeney what happened to Griffin after he wrote his book? And Phoene responds, he sold five million copies in one immediate world renown. Why do you ask, mister Matthews? Corey corrects him Miss Matthews. Sean and Corey grinn mischievously the plan has begun.
Speaker 2: And then and then doesn't Phoene say like what he like? I'm like?
Speaker 4: Didn't he hear the whole conversation? If he if he's able to jump in, he would have heard the whole thing.
Speaker 2: He's over a foot away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know how sound word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the sound works on the show.
Speaker 5: If you're over a foot away is fifty to fifty story exactly, bingo.
Speaker 4: Face sing. You can hear every right, then that person is overhearing. Or if they're behind there, behind me, aren't they that's the other face.
Speaker 3: That's another time when that works.
Speaker 2: Yes, that works then too.
Speaker 3: Then we're at the Wilderness store.
Speaker 1: Eric is price tagging items behind the counter while Lonnie's rattling off some selling points for an available tent. But the male customer just stares back at her and says, in the tone of a local people tom, I'll remember who sold it to me. Lonnie loves to hear that. I hope you do. That way you can remember me for all your future wilderness needs.
Speaker 5: And I'm making really bizarre faces in the background. I'm doing some some serious facting bizarre faces. Yes, that's me bizarre, like wow, bizarre, but yeah, there's some serious facting going on.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't notice.
Speaker 2: It's here's a well it's bizarre and wow, we both get him in.
Speaker 5: But yes, it's really just trying to put it all out there on the face when I have no lines.
Speaker 4: Oh, speaking of I forgot to mention, did you guys notice the cake face in the previous scene? Yes, the kid he does cake he does cake face, and it would have been written into the script.
Speaker 2: I forget what the exchange is, but he's in the classroom and gets at the end.
Speaker 4: It's how he ends the scene where it's like miss right, and then I think Phoene says something back to him, like questioning him, and then.
Speaker 2: He does this, he does cake face, and it would have been in the script at the point where, Yeah, I've got to find the drafts. So you were making some weird faces. That's it.
Speaker 5: It's just to go back and watch really strange faces in the background that kind of had to do with what they were.
Speaker 1: But truth be told, what you have to do something you know they're cutting to you for reaction shots.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding, Like, m it's a lot, a lot of acting. A lot of this is a bummer, Like I think that this storyline could have been done, like the idea that she is not great with men, and in particular city men, or like more sophisticated Philadelphia men without Southern accents, Like that's like, that's actually a cool storyline, but it's so it's so absurd. I feel I feel sorry for this actress because it's so ridiculous that she like what like literally can't know and it's they have to push it so far.
Speaker 2: It's I'm like, why why not?
Speaker 4: Why not find the nuanced version, especially in a script that does have such.
Speaker 2: Nuance in the argumentation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the other side, you know, in the a storyline, it's wonderful and everybody's given good arguments besides Gary maybe, but like everybody has a cool point of view, and I think that, yeah, this one just it didn't didn't work, and it's I just don't know why it had to be such a joke. It could have been great, Like what if Eric and her like really like what dating advice really was some something that Eric could give and that, you know, rather than it just being what ends up being a physical joke, like she touches him and he gets turned on.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's very easily would have given her such good advice. She immediately has a boyfriend and he's like and then he's like, I do that exactly, Like I could have had her all to myself, if I had just let her keep me, you know, like so yeah, anyway. The guy then nervously asks, you probably get this a lot, but would you want to get a cup of coffee sometime. Lonnie admits she's not much of a coffee drinker, and the man takes the hint, but Lonnie perks up, we could do something else. He then quickly responds, slightly desperate. Anything that would be great, Lonnie says, Why don't you come over to my place and I'll cook you a big old dinner. How about tonight we could wrestle. That would be wow. Lonnie smiles and hits him in the shoulder. I'llow what she did to Eric, and after dinner that's when the real fun starts. He's a bit taken aback, but still says I'm always up for a little fun. Lonnie tells him the plan. We'll rub oil all over our bodies.
Speaker 3: He nods, I like that.
Speaker 1: She continues, go jumping in the cold river and go eel grabbing. He's caught off guard, but Lonnie's excited. It's so fun for the eels too, well, unless their heads break off and there's a river you've.
Speaker 2: Never heard very.
Speaker 5: Grabbing river spot eel grabbing Allo, it's down by the crek' oh it is Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows out doors lack Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: She punches him in the arm again. Now it stings. She asks what time tonight and he backs away. Tonight's really not good for me. I've got another appointment, which actually doesn't involve eels.
Speaker 3: She jokes, where's your sense of adventure?
Speaker 1: He responds, I'll just take the tent, establishing she is not hot enough for eel grabbing. We've now hit we've hit the line.
Speaker 2: So the best best women are men, but not too much.
Speaker 1: He changes his mind. You know what, you keep the tent. What I'm going to do is leave. He darts out, and Lonnie calls after him.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to be friendly. Lonnie hangs her head and asks Eric if something is wrong with.
Speaker 2: Her from the audience, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: When it happened, I did.
Speaker 5: Too, and I was like, okay, writers write in the sense there is no need for that. There's no need for her in any way, shape or formed for this this one.
Speaker 4: It's it's always an awe because it's our second or third take.
Speaker 2: Knows that they're supposed to feel to steal back, you contribute, and it's like, yeah, that's true. Now that's true.
Speaker 4: It never feels like, it never feels earnest, it never feels honest. I always like the obligatory. Let me tell let the.
Speaker 2: Audience help tell you the story. Right now, I gotta.
Speaker 1: Feel Lonnie hangs her head and asks Eric if something is wrong with her. Eric is scanning her up and down, not saying anything. She asks again, and he explains.
Speaker 3: I'm looking. She wonders, why am I always scaring boys off?
Speaker 1: Eric asks, you don't have a lot of social experience with men, do you? She says no, not with city men at least. He asks if she dated any guys up in the mountains, and she says, sure. We go out to the woods and shoot things. Well, when you see a cute, little fuzzy animal that you like and I love, will that you were able to fit in there a sense that you don't really like hunting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I that you want to you see a cute anile that you want to kill? Yeah, it's a great one. And this whole little like ron I do really like you know, like, yeah, you have potential a cartoon for you to see this speech, which is really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: And it also, you're right, it absolutely had potential to be a possible good earn his storyline. It's also it's also Eric could have gone the route of Okay, I can tell she's not interested in me, but she's miserable being alone.
Speaker 5: Maybe I really can't help as a friend. You know, you could have gone that route too, and it just instead, you're right, it just wanted to end with her looking for a tag and me getting turned.
Speaker 4: Off speky and Soorcel moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, it's like elixir slipping, the elixir of the magical. It's like, come on, just it could have it could have been cool to.
Speaker 2: Just be a friend in this moment. Yeah, it's interesting they.
Speaker 4: Never decided to have Eric actually like all you do, you're you flirt with her, you pine after her, but like you don't actually make them Like it would have been interesting if Eric actually fell for Lonnie or like pursued a real relationship.
Speaker 2: They always just kind of go for the joke and the sex thing, which.
Speaker 4: They never did in seven in seven seasons with Eric, they never once had him pursue an actual relationship. Well, I thought the single out episode sort of ended with a pretty positive.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, positive for him. Eric's gonna actually like this person, yeah seriously.
Speaker 4: And I think hopefully down the line, there's one or two other guest stars in the house. I guess that you were but that yeah, but you were pursuing her in a real way, whereas this.
Speaker 2: Is just like right right, that's my Eric, no respect Eric.
Speaker 1: Eric wants to know when you see a cute, little fuzzy animal that you, you know, want to shoot, do you go running up to it yelling and waving your rifle in the air, Eric asks, Lonnie laughs no, because it'll scare the critter off. Ah, she's figured out her problem. You're saying, my behavior is scaring these citymen. Eric whispers just a smidge. Lonnie realizes she needs to learn to hunt and track these boys, but she's going to need a city man to practice on. Eric lets out a goofy giggle as she stares at him. And then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Alan appears to be doing taxes. He's like got a calculator. Who knows what business He's got on the table.
Speaker 2: It's Wilderness Store, receipts.
Speaker 3: That's true, the receivable and payable, Yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Amy workship and tense.
Speaker 1: That week, ye, Corey and Sean walk in holding bags from Samantha's Secret. Alan asks Corey how his day was, but Corey quickly blows by him and heads to the stairs. Alan yells, hold on. Every day I ask you what you did, and every day you tell me nothing. We both know something happened today, and I want to know.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 1: Corey sighs, I decided to be a girl. Alan stares at him blankly. You taught me a very valuable lesson there, son. Sean asks, Samy, you know the book Black Like Me. A stressed Alan butts in, don't ask any questions, honey. Sean explains Corey's gonna write chick Like Me for the school newspaper. He's going to experience life through a girl's point of view by dressing up as a girl, and we reveal Corey holding up a cute red mini dress. Alan admits, no, don't want you to. Amy defends it. It's a wonderful learning experience. It could serve him well for the rest of his life, and Corey holds up another dress. Amy pulls out a bra out of another shopping bag, and Corey explains it's a miracle bra. Alan sarcastically says, it's a miracle bra. Honey, get a camera, Corey. I'm not dressing up like a girl just for the sake of dressing up like a girl. I'm a journalist. Dag nabbot, And the dag nabbot is the dag nabt dag navity the line, Yeah, it's the line reading that I was.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you guys something, do you mind cross dressing funny?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: It was supposed to be very funny back then. Like I mean you think about you know, missus doubtfire and but did.
Speaker 2: You ever find it funny?
Speaker 4: I mean, I I mean it depends on what you were I mean, there there was a there was an interesting way to do it. Like I go my head instantly when you asked that went to kids in the hall. Where the kids in the hall they were just doing sketches where they would be the female characters, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh so you mean the actual idea of a like character having to you know, I mean, I sound like it hot as the ultimate example.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I don't it's just funny because I remember when we did this episode. You know, obviously so much of the joke, so many of the jokes is look at these guys, you know, in a dress, or look at those guys being women, And I just remember being like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I never found that funny.
Speaker 4: Like I didn't find this is a doubtfire that funny. I never I just never was like, what's the joke? And it's it feels it's an interesting thing. I mean, some people still love it, right, I think it still kind of works. Like that's the point of drag is like a sort of performative like gender performance that is transgressive in a way, right, Like I am crossing a boundary, you know that I'm a man, I am dressing as a woman to like get a laugh or a joke. And yeah, I'm so curious, Like I remember not finding it that funny back then, but it was such a standard joke. It was saying you always had an episode of almost every show where a male character did this, and then like you know, I feel like there's a million Eddie Murphy movies where he's in a dress, you know, our serties.
Speaker 5: It's like but you go you can go back to some incredible films, Like you said, something like a Hot or TUTSI is another great example of I think if it depends on what the character's doing and what the characters learning as they're doing that, Like again, exactly what you're doing in Chick like Me, exactly what Sean is doing. There's there's jokes wrapped in to the story of what you're actually learning.
Speaker 2: By It's a good version, definite, rightly, exactly the version, right.
Speaker 4: But I feel like on the surface, the humor often is, oh my god, that's a dude in a dress, right, Like that's the joke is like to just laugh at like this guy we know, you know, and yeah it's I do remember like literally doing it and being like why is this funny? Like I don't know if this is uh, and I just always yeah, it's never struck me as as a joke.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, it's even worse actually if you take it to the level that it is, because we do it again, Jack and I do it again in a later episode where it's not only being a girl, it's that it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Because you're a quote unquote ugly girl. Yeah, so that's where it is.
Speaker 4: It's not I remember that episode being as successful as chick like Me.
Speaker 5: No, because no, because you learn something and check like me. There was a point to it, there is, that's the whole idea.
Speaker 4: So great about this episode is that it actually it takes the joke, the sort of superficial, immediate joke of of cross dressing and takes it to a place where it's like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Both yes, you know, everybody's.
Speaker 4: Learned something and experience something, and that's great.
Speaker 5: Our episode with Jack and Eric that do that, it's just cross dressing for the sake of the joke. Nothing is learned, nobody grows as a person. It is simply the joke of I look ugly in address. That's that's it, And that's so it's I mean, it's the tale of two things on the same show. It's that, you know, it's the tale of what you can do and what you shouldn't do. And I know that people love the episode where I dress up like a woman because they think it's funny, and if you can put that aside, that's all it is.
Speaker 2: But nobody, maybe a lot of people really do find it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's a it's a trope, right, yes, well it's also been around for dress is whereas like the reverse isn't quite as funny, like a well girl dresses a guy is not. It's not as transgressive as miracle and like. But anyway, there's just something about twentieth century American culture that loved.
Speaker 2: Guys and dresses.
Speaker 4: Because it's also women were not allowed to act at all back in the Elizabethan age, so it was all it was the men were playing all the women too.
Speaker 2: It's different.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't a joke, That's what I mean. That's what That's what I mean. It wasn't a joke. That was they were actors playing a role, which is why when you get Dustin Hoffman in Tutsie, he's an actor playing a role that hearkens back to that time on stage, like you know, like Shakespeare.
Speaker 4: Again, it's a story where the cross dressing is like a funny fact outside of you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Not the point whereas I feel like the point of Corey.
Speaker 4: Pulling out a brawl and the audience going is like, oh my god, we're gonna see you know, it's like, isn't that hysterical?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, then Tapega walks in and tells Sean she may have been a bit protective of Debbie this morning, preventing her from fully considering his point of view. Sean proudly exclaims, I never knew I had a point of view. Corey says, everything's worked out for the best because he's decided to be a girl and see what it's really like.
Speaker 3: Topanga frowns, not in a dress, You're not.
Speaker 1: Corey was counting on her expert assistance to help in selecting the proper female accouterment. Tapanga asks, you want me to dress you up like a girl? Corey smiles, yeah to Panga, make Corey pretty. Tapanga responds, cool, I like it. It was the cool of Danielle cool.
Speaker 5: I also like that they had Topanga coming in and the first thing she's doing is apologizing to Sean for not.
Speaker 4: Listening to his point of view. Like it's a good moment between the two of you.
Speaker 5: Whose She's like, you know what, I might I might have dismissed you too fast this morning exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think it's also a nice acknowledgment that you know, truthfully, there is another side.
Speaker 3: To this that deserves hearing as well like it.
Speaker 1: Maybe we've been we're having miscommunications and part of it's because I wasn't listening to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Sean has also already come you know, he's yeah, he's come up with this project.
Speaker 2: You walk and saying, let's do this project.
Speaker 1: It's a very mature. It's so mature all the characters. So then we do a kind of optical flip to Corey's room. We haven't seen it for a while. We get a nice look at the parking meter piggy bank that we remember from season one. To Penga and Sean are waiting patiently for Corey outside the bathroom, when to Pega shouts, Sweetie, you have to come out eventually. Corey groans, don't want us second thoughts to peg It promises they won't laugh. Corey assures them, you're not seeing what I'm seeing. Sean reminds Corey he's going to make a difference in the lives of guys and girls everywhere. Corey reiterates, you're not seeing what I'm seeing. Sean asks how bad a girl could you be? And then Corey walks out of the bathroom wearing a brown wig, bright red lipstick, a giant bra underneath a relatively tight dress, brown tights, white high heels, and long fake nails. It is a very committed costume. And want to go on record as saying I don't think he looks that bad.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think he looked at bad either. Well, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 4: The irony here is that at the end of the episode when he's Cora, he's actually the most convincing female, the most you know, like way more convincing than I think I am.
Speaker 2: You know, it's and then that.
Speaker 4: And his performance is so great, like so cool a character like oh yeah, like I feel like I've actually met women that talk and look like that. And Ben is so good. So the idea that Corey can't do it here I never quite understood. I remember even when we were filming.
Speaker 3: It being like yeah.
Speaker 4: But then he shows up his Cora. Why did he choose to do Cora? And he does it so well. I don't know, it's weird, but I guess they just needed again the joke of like gout dress and that.
Speaker 2: But Ben is very funny in this scene, so funny.
Speaker 4: I think he sells it by playing it as a stretched out woman, which is really fun, you know, like his mannerisms and like I think I look fat, and like the way he holds his nails and like.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 4: But it's also so that's all very meta, like why would Corey be acting like that? Right, He's uncomfortable being dressed, you know, but it's it's funny.
Speaker 2: Whatever, It's very Do you think he didn't button up? There's like two or three of the choice buttoned. I know they had to make him that's the thing.
Speaker 4: They had to like overstuff his bra and make it his shoveled and because you know.
Speaker 2: That's you know, we had to set up the storyline to get me. And I couldn't tell if that was a choice or not. I guess it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Topanga can hardly look at him, and Sean admits, okay, bad. Corey asks how bad, and Sean tells him bad bad. Corey, siys I knew it. I look fat, Sean says, fat is the least of your problems, baby. Topanga wonders, maybe it's just not a good color for you. Corey's upset, and he runs back toward the bathroom. Topega and Sean grab him. She's confident they can do this, It's all about how you present yourself to Panga encourages him to show it off. So Corey gathers himself and starts strutting with some sass. He snaps his hands back and forth. He contemplates the cat walk and asks if that was all right. Shawn answers, not even on a desert island. Girls just glide more. You gotta kind of let it flow. To Pega admits, that's right on the nose. Sean shrugs. Girls are my area. I like girls. Corey asks Sean to show him, so Sean does his own sassy glide and to Panga and Corey realize what needs to happen. Sean repeatedly says no, no, no, no, and then we optical flip to the school. A rowdy guitar riff plays as Sean is peeking out into the hallway. We see he's wearing some dark eye makeup, paired with red lipstick and a brown wig with bangs. He looks a little apprehensive before stepping out in a mini skirt, gliding next to a very giddy Corey.
Speaker 3: Matthews, right, or what do you remember about this scene?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, I just remember the whole week, you know, so much attention because you know, you have to realize, like it's written on the page that I'm supposed to gorge gorgeous, or that you know that it works in a way that it doesn't work for Corey. And of course it's it's easier to sort of figure out way is to make somebody unattractive than it is to make.
Speaker 2: Them actually attractive.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, so I just remember so much energy put on, like you know, I actually had tape on my face to like pull it back obviously, lots of makeup, the wig and then the outfit that would work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember being stressed out. I remember being stressed out this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember mostly being like you know, which is funny because when I watched the episode, I don't feel that stress. Actually, I feel like I'm pretty I'm really happy with my performance. I go, this might be maybe the best.
Speaker 2: I've done on.
Speaker 4: Because of the cross stressing factor, because the the quick changes, especially like in this scene, and like the ability the way that that you know, when Sean is in character when he's not, you know, I went to laugh with him or when to laugh at him, and like I'm just like I didn't realize how much I was threading this needle as an actor, and I look back on it, I'm just like, wow, that was mer curial, Like he I'm moving through like one look at the and I was like, and then you know, there's just a relaxed, like a confidence that I'm really impressed by in seventeen year old writer. I'm just like, good, good job, dude, this is cool. Like I don't know that many seventeen year olds who who would have pulled this off?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like, so for one of the first times on this podcast, I'll say, like, I'm very proud of you.
Speaker 2: Should be.
Speaker 5: You're also playing it completely and totally straight, like totally committed, and so the comedy is just coming. You're not hitting you're not trying to hit any joke, which is what we do on this show.
Speaker 2: We're trying to hit jokes all the time.
Speaker 5: The comedy is coming from the commitment of just playing this character, and the comedy comes naturally from the situations that you're then in, which makes makes the laughs three times as sharp.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when I watched the scene, I was like, because I guess over the years, I think the sort of popular conception of this episode, at least it has been reflected back to.
Speaker 2: Me, is like, oh my gosh, you were hot, like you were actually you know, And I looked at it and I was like, no, it's still still kind of looks like me.
Speaker 4: I got a big face, I got a big agree with you. You're very like I look kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was just like, it's it's very interesting because when you know, we had Lori Heaps on the show and Laurie was talking about what a what an undertaking it was, and you know, finding the wigs and.
Speaker 3: All of that. It's it is a hard job.
Speaker 1: For the crew when in a script, no matter how realistic it is, it just says Sean is a gorgeous woman, and then next to that, you know, Corey's a hideous woman. It's much easier to make somebody look ugly. You can add things and make them look disheveled and do all kinds of things. It is much harder to make a very you're a manly guy, you have a you have manly, stereotypically manly features to now suddenly with no plastic surgery, but just what you can you have at your fingertips sell you as a convince a convincingly attractive feminine woman.
Speaker 2: Difficult.
Speaker 4: It's hard, yeah, yeah, And that's why I think like Corah is actually more successful because it's character and you can tell that, like, you know, obviously, they figured out the hair and the thing, and then figured out an attitude and a and a way of walking and talking that matched the outfit, and.
Speaker 2: It becomes its own thing.
Speaker 4: And that's way more convincing than Sean as Veronica.
Speaker 2: Like Veronica to me always felt a little I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, but but but I think that the trick is the high boots and the short skirt. Right, we just have to make it, yes, we have to make it like a fast girl, a typical boy, you know. So she's I mean, Veronica is rest like right, like a stripper really, you know, a porn star, like if she.
Speaker 2: Really you know.
Speaker 1: So much of that is because of the colors they chose, because I thought the same thing. I was looking at the black and the red and I was like, they went for a very look at me va vavom color combo. And I wonder if that's because they were hoping that that that alone would add a sexual factor that maybe you and more in softer colors, Maybe you looked manlier with with more neutral colors or something.
Speaker 2: So did you have to do you remember?
Speaker 5: Did you have to try on a whole bunch of looks and a whole bunch of outfits or was it kind of just like.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I remember being stressed out like I remember being I wonder how much of that stress and anxiety was performative on my part though, you know, which is a little bit of a bummer to think about. But I think that I probably was, like wanted to make everybody sure that I was. I was uncomfortable with having to be like a woman, you know, like you know, because do you see what I'm saying, Like, yeah, I think seventeen year old as much just I can look back and say, I'm I was confident in in my acting and like in the in the beat to beat, I think there was also a part of me that, you know, wanted to make sure everybody knew that like this isn't normal for me.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I wouldn't typically just you know, which is ridiculous, like who gives me writer?
Speaker 4: But but you know, I was seventeen whatever, and I was asked, and I was, you know, frankly, like I didn't get asked whether to do that. You know, you just get the script and you got to do it. So I'm sure there was a little bit of like can I pull this off? And that insecurity fed into well, I shouldn't want to pull this off, like I don't need to, you know, because I am such a guy, such a I would never you know, which, you know.
Speaker 2: But then I also.
Speaker 4: Kind of remember that there was some acting, like there was some fun that like, oh, you know, this is a typical acting thing. Like you said, it goes back to Elizabethan tradition. You should be able to play anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I know, without a shadow of a doubt.
Speaker 1: Writer, young writer, modern day writer would have loved the idea of this message, like the scripts message you were hook line and sinker for, this is a message that need to be told, like women need. You know, this is so you would have loved the point behind it, while also dealing with teenage ego stuff of but it makes me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's equivalent to having to be in your underwear exactly, like the way great story yes, this could be good for the character of the storyline, but as the actor.
Speaker 2: I have to actually do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's what I remember feeling mostly with this episode was that anxiety of like, this is I have to pull this off. I have to go through makeup for four hours. I have to try on. Like you said, I don't remember, but I'm sure I tried it on more reading different outfits before they were like, this is the right combination.
Speaker 2: Because it is, it's tricky. How do you sell it but also make it obvious?
Speaker 4: And yeah, but anyway, going back when I saw this scene, I was like, I don't I'm not that convinced.
Speaker 2: And I'm also just I don't think I'm that attractive.
Speaker 4: But whatever, it's it's funny and the point is there, and you know, I guess compared to Corey, it's it's great, you know.
Speaker 1: Sean nervously asks Cory why everyone's staring at him. Corey admits, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but you're kind of a babe. Sean's excited to hear this. Corey even offers to carry his books. Sean's down, that's cool. They walk over to Topanga and she asks why Corey's carrying Sean's books, and he explains, we're trying to create the illusion that Sean's a girl, so I thought this would help. Topenga says he never carries her books, and Corey says, well, look at him, and sheepishly smiles.
Speaker 3: The inmates in the audience love it.
Speaker 2: They did. They were very on board.
Speaker 1: They are laughing and Tapanga eyes Cory up and down.
Speaker 3: Funny book. I give.
Speaker 4: It's such a like it's it's so interesting to see how much this was on the heels of an affair to Yes, you know, it's like this sort of and I wonder how long I'm going to really enjoy it. I'm enjoying this now, but like, I know, we do the gay joke a lot, you know, like the Corey Sean and it's like walking then you know here it's very funny because it's like you know, but yeah, I'm curious how many episodes in I'm going to be able to like think this is great but it's very funny. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corey covers and look at you. You were just radiant today. Topanga, always the ally how asks how it feels for Sean to be wearing pantyhose. He reminds her it's not Sean. He needs a girl's name. Corey offers Janet, but Sean turns it down to Pega. Senses there's more here. You've thought about this before, haven't you. Sewan admits a little. The name he likes is Veronica. Corey turns to Tapanga in horror, but Tapanga responds encouragingly, Veronica is a lovely name. Right then mister Feeney walks up to the group. Good morning, Miss Laurence, mister Matthews, mister Hunter, and then he stops. Dead iness tracks Beeanie looks up to the sky and shakes his head in dismay. He turns to Veronica and smiles awkwardly. If there's anything you need to talk about, my door is always open. I'm not here to judge.
Speaker 5: So now I loved it, but I had a thought, do you think it? I mean, there's two ways to look at it. You can never fool Feenie. He's gonna he'll always know no matter what. But the other way to look at it is that people would be able to recognize that it's Sean right away.
Speaker 2: So I didn't you know, I didn't know if.
Speaker 4: It's interesting, it should have come after somebody else.
Speaker 2: Exactly the same thing.
Speaker 4: It shouldn't have started with the first persons recognizing him.
Speaker 1: He's just so used to seeing the three of us together. He said the three names.
Speaker 2: I read it as always knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I got to But I thought, if it's shakes his head, it's brilliant. But if just one person first saw it, like like acknowledge that Veronica was Veronica before then Foenie comes in and says Sean Hunter.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it would have made it stronger because when the first person addresses as Sean, my head instantly went to, oh, then the this guy's never going to work everybody, you know, everybody's going to know him.
Speaker 4: I would love to see the script for this. Do you think you have a copy of Chicken? I'm gonna I was just thinking, I want I'll look through everything I want to see if I'm curious about I just want to know this is like the second or third time this has come up. I really want to know what the stage direction said, like, what did you say for Bill?
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 4: Did Feeney stop roll his eyes like it's not rolling that because like what Bill does is just like a prayer to heaven? Like what do you call that? Little like desperate? Like I can't believe I have to deal with this.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 4: I would love to see how that was actually if it.
Speaker 5: Was, because don't you remember Kevin Calton saying that he he one time puts something in for a stage direction.
Speaker 2: For Bill and Bill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is how to say your actual life? This would have been a beat on the page with the action line. And I'm so curious what it said, like I just because however, you know, I don't know. However, as a writer, I'm curious what it said because it's so cool. Yeah, and then also as a as an actor and appreciate someone who appreciates Bills acting. If it's not there, what you know what he brought to it as an actor, I'm so curious.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's great.
Speaker 1: So Sean clarifies it's for an article we're writing. Phoene reminds them I am not here to judge and walks away. Corey notices their target. Gary is approaching Tapenga says to him, Debbie said, you two went out on Saturday that Gary notices Veronica and is distracted.
Speaker 4: This look man, his ability with his eyes to just go hey, hey, hey, he plays a great creed.
Speaker 2: He does plays a great creed. It's his locked down to the new girls. Yep, so good.
Speaker 1: Hi there, I'm Gary, Corey excitedly introduces Veronica. Veronica was Boyski was Boyski. Gary kicks some game. I've never seen you before you knew in school. Veronica laughs, Yep, I'm just a whole new person. I do like your womanly voice.
Speaker 3: Writer. Yeah, it's not too overdone.
Speaker 2: Really well, I don't know. I mean, I don't. I don't, Yeah, I don't. I felt a little uncommitted. It's like I felt like I was done.
Speaker 1: If it had been over the top, it wouldn't have been good. It's so subtle, subtle and just just delicately feminine enough enough that it's it works. I really think had it been over the top with the way you look, I also would have been like, Nope, I can't, I can't buy it. But it really worked, And I think the reason it worked for me is because of your voice.
Speaker 3: So I think it was a good choice.
Speaker 1: Gary offers to take her to Chubby's tell her what teachers to avoid all of that stuff, but then adds, I mean, unless your boyfriend already did that. Corey interrupts again, No, Gary, this one is definitely available. Veronica shoes him away. Corey, I can speak for myself. That'd be great to hang abouts in. So Saturday is that good for both of you? Sean reminds her under his breath, Saturday is my date night. Corey exclaims it still is.
Speaker 4: And this is one of those moments where I was like, that's so good. You just ought to John the coach switching that Sean is doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's really well done.
Speaker 4: I'm so curious, Like going back just a second, I wonder where this episode fell in the right I can't wait to talk to Steve Hibbert, Like who came up with this? Like why, Like I wonder if they watched An Affair to Forget and we like, let's let's push it even further, right, you know, like the way that because because I reminded just right now and when when I'm doing the female the Veronica, it's very similar to the way I was like Corey, you know, like laughing at like they're shy, the shy like, and so I wonder if that was the inspiration, Like the writers were like, oh we could, we could just push this even further into Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't wait to talk town.
Speaker 1: We got to see And then Veronica smiles at Gary and agrees to Saturday. Gary so he'll see her then, and gives her a wink as he leaves. Corey and Tapanga congratulate John. He's got a date.
Speaker 3: John's nervous. I have nothing to wear, and I love this. I love how now it's just so quickly.
Speaker 1: All of the fears and all of the anxieties about being a woman, the insecurities just and.
Speaker 5: All your mannerisms were like, well, it were perfect at the time. You're like fiddling with your fingers.
Speaker 2: And ran around.
Speaker 3: It's really well done.
Speaker 1: We go to a commercial break and then we come back at the Wilderness Store. It's now after hours. Eric and Lonnie. She's back in her crop top flannel. That makes so much sense. They're practicing her approach with city.
Speaker 2: You can be warm, but show that belly button.
Speaker 1: So your boobies are warm, but your belly button is cool.
Speaker 2: And I've got the cool sleeves rolled off as Eric looks pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eric creates a scenario where he's a guy named Dave, and when Lonnie sees him at the club, she wants him to avoid detection and stay with the hunting metaphor. She crouches down and walks slowly toward Eric, slyly, placing herself right next to him at the bar. Eric tells her to make eye contact and smile, so she gives him a big grin and enthusiastically says, I want that one, and she pokes him on the nose. Eric admires her single mindedness, but no, he says that if she gives a guy a compliment.
Speaker 3: He will be hers for the rest of her life.
Speaker 2: Apparently, what world.
Speaker 1: Is it true of a man that if you give him a compliment, he will be loyal to you for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Well, let's try it. Give me a compliment right now?
Speaker 3: Will you have the most gorgeous eyes?
Speaker 2: I love you, my god? It works it that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Do you think, Well, I don't know the loyalty, but I do think that like when you say that, like guys like to have their egos. Oh, that's more than because the opposite, like with women, like the sort of uh pick up artist strategy opposite, right, the whole.
Speaker 3: Like the whole why'd you wear that jacket?
Speaker 4: Right? The nagging idea, right, Like that's the like traditional advice if you want to get a guru, you gotta you know.
Speaker 2: And I think that's not true.
Speaker 4: Well maybe it's I don't know, does it work the other way? You never hear about pickup artists from a female perspective. There must be some.
Speaker 5: Because you don't need to be an artist and you walked up and you go, yeah, hey, let's go, and you wear a fleece crop top.
Speaker 2: And that's jacket or exactly check.
Speaker 4: Yeah, though I don't know, but I would assume just based on my life experience. Yeah, Guys like compliments, right, They like being told you're smart.
Speaker 3: The whole idea of like, wow, you're smart.
Speaker 1: They'll talk to you that night, sure, but then the minute somebody else gives them a compliment, Yeah, it's like, give us a compliment, where yours for the rest of your life?
Speaker 5: It's like what I just I always think of that amazing line is that from when Harry met Sally where he says women need a reason have sex, men just need a place.
Speaker 2: And I think that's true basically.
Speaker 4: But it's also like what is her problem?
Speaker 2: Exactly, like what is you want?
Speaker 4: Because she doesn't want to man she wants to a dude to hang out with, or she wants somebody to date. I think she wants for somebody to date, but again, would that be like really, I don't know, she's scaring the guys off by being too man manly.
Speaker 1: There's a right level of manliness to be the perfect woman. She hasn't hit that yet, right.
Speaker 5: I think it's also she think what they were trying to do was also talk where it's more about I think they attempted to do more about city versus country. Yes, and really country where it's like let's go hunting and eel grabbing, right, you knowing.
Speaker 1: Also like I'm going to beat you in arm wrestling. I'm going to be a better shot than you. I'm going to wrestle eels like things where it's like, wow, you you are really like the manliest bro I could ever hang out with.
Speaker 5: Right, And maybe what's interesting is the bet storyline. What essentially they're saying, if you look at it this way, is that to Lannie, gender doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 2: It's all blur.
Speaker 5: If you're hanging out, having a good time and doing what you love. Where in the A storyline, gender was very very important, so it was kind of the Yeah, it was a weird balance between the two. Maybe you're right, maybe that's why they did need the B storyline writers, because there is that kind of balance.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted to see more.
Speaker 4: At your point in some way, right, its like it's a reverse like she has to learn how to be a woman, right, she has to learn how to think like a man. Yes, that's that's more. He's not trying to tell her to be more feminine.
Speaker 1: Well, he is trying to tell her you're scaring them off, and the way you're starring them off is by being more manly than they and they are kind.
Speaker 4: Of but but he's not even yeah, yeah, he's trying to put her in the mindset of like how a man perceives her or how a man, which is.
Speaker 3: Like too manly.
Speaker 1: You're punching me and it hurts, and your idea the time shunting and wrestling eels, which like maybe I would want to do with my bros, but isn't what I want to spend my time with a lady friend, do it, right?
Speaker 5: But They easily could have taken this storyline and gone, we need to put you in a dress and you need to learn.
Speaker 3: How to you know, I'm glad they didn't do that.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad they didn't go It wasn't Eric wasn't teaching her to be more feminine, right, It wasn't like you need to be more of a girl.
Speaker 2: It was just you need to tell right, your shirt's too big.
Speaker 4: Never came out of Eric's mountain, right, But yeah, you could see they could have gone that route where it's like, well, we got to put you in a dress. It could have been that same thing, and thankfully they didn't go that route.
Speaker 3: Yeah they didn't. You're right.
Speaker 1: Lonnie touches Eric's flannel. That's the nicest shirt. I'd love to get one for my brother Buck.
Speaker 3: Who makes that?
Speaker 1: Eric tells her some shirt guy, and Lonnie takes the liberty of checking the tag. She's all over him trying to find the label, and Eric is soaking in every minute. She stops herself and realizes, you know what I'm doing. Eric dreamily responds, just what God intended. Lonnie says, no, I'm being too friendly again, and you were just about to tell me that, weren't you. And the reason this part doesn't really work is that her previous friend over friendliness had nothing to do with being too physical.
Speaker 4: No, no, and she's not scaring him away, she's actually drawing him.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's actually like, I know, this part didn't really work. You were just about to tell me that, weren't you. Eric lies, yes, Lonnie admits I never would have thought that being friendly could drive people away. I guess friendliness is just different between men and women. Eric agrees and steps back a respectable distance, sticking out his hand for a handshake. Instead, she grabs his hand and politely says, my name is Lonnie Bowden, and I will do whatever I can not to physically invade your personal space. Perhaps we can discuss your career goals over a great knee high. Eric gives her a fake laugh and utters.
Speaker 3: What have I done? And I like this part.
Speaker 1: I love the idea where if he could have set her up with somebody, if there was some sort of advice where now he was actually losing his chances with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that part's great.
Speaker 5: But instead what they did was we never see her again, right, exactly so that's I do like to think that grape knee high was a mash reference.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm hoping it has to be, because what is it.
Speaker 2: Grape knee Hi's a drink. Okay, you've never had greape knee high? You know who love?
Speaker 5: Grape knee high is rider because it's all it's a no, it's a soda. It's like grape soda. But it almost has the same kind of backbite as that ginger beer that you like.
Speaker 2: So it's like a grape kind of But yeah, from.
Speaker 4: Paper Moon, eat your Coney Island, drink your knee high Moon, right, No, please, are you serious?
Speaker 2: It's like the greatest movie ever. Oh man to movie for a rider? Please party? Yes, oh my god. Okay, you will love it. I'll bring the I'll bring grape knee high.
Speaker 3: Right, you'll bring the movie.
Speaker 1: Chubby's the only place a day can happen. Veronica and Gary are sitting next to each other in a booth near the OJ Jersey when Gary says, this has been a terrific evening and you are just great.
Speaker 2: On the same side of the back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're committed again. I love how Sean is committed to this whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Veronica is visibly nervous, but Gary continues, how is it that someone like you doesn't have a boyfriend. She laughs, I haven't really been looking for a boyfriend because I've.
Speaker 3: Just been going through a lot of changes.
Speaker 1: Gary assures her, anytime you want to talk, I'm here to listen. She thanks him, admiring his kindness, and it seems as though he's developing a bit of a crush. Then she snaps out of it. I've got to have some food.
Speaker 3: Gary takes charge.
Speaker 2: Call that beat that and it was she gets some food, I get some food. It was I love it.
Speaker 4: So it's very like, I'm not quite it's funny. It's just like I'm getting caught up in the.
Speaker 2: Moment with Yes, you're getting caught up in Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: It's great because.
Speaker 1: It's also I love that like your the Veronica slash Sean thought process is like, maybe I'm feeling faint, maybe I need to eat, Maybe maybe I need to eat something.
Speaker 3: It's just so funny.
Speaker 1: And then Corey bursts in from the kitchen, now wearing a curly wig and a king waitress uniform.
Speaker 3: In a husky voice, she asks how you're doing honey.
Speaker 1: Topanga's at a nearby table watching on and is speechless and bemused. Her eyes are popping out of her head.
Speaker 4: Veronica, a little explanation like what was like?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 2: What is Corey's playing here?
Speaker 1: I know, I think just wanted to be involved, just to be involved. But you're right, there's no setup, like why was this necessary?
Speaker 4: Just like one little like like sean to I mean, I guess I do say, like Corey, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: So you're insane?
Speaker 4: Right? But wouldn't it be great if he was like this is my research, like I have to be here? Yeah, I don't know, like just some explanation of like he's there to be undercover also to get the or whatever. But instead it's just like and I guess they just were like no, it's just too funny, doesn't It doesn't matter?
Speaker 2: But I should have been a side with Topanga. What are you doing research? That's exactly my job.
Speaker 4: I'm the journalist. I'm the one who has to write the article. I might as well, yeah, because it is weird that Shawn's doing all the undercover journalism, and then.
Speaker 2: But then Corey is still going to.
Speaker 4: Be an easy thing to just rationalize, like I had to go under cover his korra in order.
Speaker 3: To be it's possible.
Speaker 1: They just figured that's obvious, Like we've already discussed this. The whole scene of them getting dressed in the women's clothes was all about I've got to do this for my research.
Speaker 4: But then and then Sean not knowing that he was going to show up, is weird, Like right, exactly like Sewan and Tapanga should be like here comes Corey in him.
Speaker 1: Even at the end of the scene where you got the where you got the the date, if.
Speaker 3: There had just been a little bit now we hatch our plan where it's.
Speaker 4: Like and also like what happened between Corey dressing as a woman before and Corey.
Speaker 3: Dressing as a woman now, that makes him think a.
Speaker 4: Conversation of like, well, you can't be attractive enough to be the bait, but you can't get the bait, so you have to do something else in order to get this article. That's all it would have taken, is like one conversation like we gotta find a role.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to go on to cover two.
Speaker 5: We'll figure it out or yeah, or it's just Sean ending the last scene going I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do this alone. I can't. Don't worry, you won't. He won't be alone. Yeah, you won't be alone.
Speaker 4: That's it. Yeah, Yeah, and then not being surprised that he's it's weird that I'm surprised. I guess.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: If you weren't surprised, I would think all of that happened off screen.
Speaker 3: And I buy it, And I'm.
Speaker 4: In Corey rescuing me yet whatever, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Veronica whispers Corey, and he corrects her. Core Rah, I'll be your waitress this evening. Corey remarks, I come in here a lot. I've never seen you before. Chorus snaps back, quit hitting on me. Just just so funny, She laughs, just kidding, it's my first night.
Speaker 3: She winks at Gary.
Speaker 1: Veronica shakes her head and says under her breath, you're insane.
Speaker 3: Cora asks to take their order. Baby Gary goes first.
Speaker 1: My usual, a double chili burger and one chocolate milkshake with two straws. Veronica says, I'll have the same, and a steak and a steak. Aura and Gary are surprised by this appetite.
Speaker 4: The association of like masculinity with meat steak.
Speaker 1: But the thing, I like, it's not about masculinity. For me, it was all about Seawn. He's not a free meal. Yeah, it's to me. It was just like, this is what Seawn would do.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I mean I mean I just know, having been a vegetarian for so much, it was like it was an immediate opportunity for people to question my masculinity or your sexuality or my sexuality erect right. Like it was always like, especially in the late nineties early oft it was like immediately like, oh, well you must be gay.
Speaker 2: Or you're turning into a woman, or.
Speaker 4: Some joke or some teasing immediately followed the fact that you're a vegetarian.
Speaker 3: But in this case, it does also work for Sewan.
Speaker 1: I think Sean, Yeah, I mean it totally works.
Speaker 4: You're trying to increase atosterone because of meat consumption. Meat, that is true, so yeah, but it's it just struck me at this. I was like, this is such a kind of obvious, easy joke.
Speaker 1: But yes, but I did. I thought of it as an easy Sean joke, and I liked it.
Speaker 2: I mean, he wanted extra food like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had we had the joke about you coming in when Corey and you were like, what is this When he has the burger I wasn't gonna.
Speaker 3: I was gonna and.
Speaker 1: Then it's cut in half and you want to pick it up and eat half of it, and it's like, to me, it works perfectly for Sean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that take, but I think I think there's also this extra layer of like, right, and you.
Speaker 1: Have a personal bias about it because you had been through it in your life, so it struck you.
Speaker 2: Corra Cora has to comment on it.
Speaker 4: You got quite an appetite, like I don't know, like he's eating too much for a woman, and he's eating not womanly food.
Speaker 2: That is the joke. As part of the joke.
Speaker 4: I understand what you're saying that Sean is poor and wants as much food as you can get for out of this guy, But there's also another layer of like that is not very seemly for being for ronic.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, there's definitely commentary on the fact that women would probably not consume in one meal a steak plus a double chili cheeseburger. But when I felt like there's the obvious joke, I actually thought that's the obvious Sean moment, which I thought was cute. It did not in any way make me think, ugh, stereotypical men eat and women need to eat a salad. I didn't think that. I thought cute, cute that Sean is like, yeah, I got you have a steak. I'm at Chubby's and somebody else is paying great. So Corey and Gary are surprised by this appetite. Corey pinches Veronica's cheeks. Aren't you the voracious little eater?
Speaker 3: Corey.
Speaker 1: Cora walks away, waving and mouthing hi babe to Tapanga. As she passes to Panga, stares back in awe with a huge smile on her face. Gary puts his arm around Veronica. Are you having a good time? She admits, a little trouble breathing. You're crowding me a bit. Gary insists you're probably just tense. How about I rub your shoulders. She uncomfortably mentions, I didn't ask you to do that. Gary brushes it off, but doesn't it feel good? Veronica shoves him. You're not listening to me, Gary laughs, you're a strong one. Yeah, I play a little field hockey.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 1: Gary mentions he knew that because the first thing he noticed or Veronica's legs. He slides his hand down her thigh and Veronica immediately jumps up.
Speaker 3: She yells, you just don't listen.
Speaker 1: You're too busy planning your next move to hear us say no, He pulls the same move Sean did earlier in the episode, not listening what. Veronica grabs her purse and storms away. Kora stops her and asks, now in Corey's voice, what happened? Sean breaks character, he touched me on my knee? What makes him think that that it's his knee? To Pega wonders, well, maybe you sent him a signal, and Seawan argues, the only signal I sent him.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's amazing between the three of us, and like the way that we're able to have.
Speaker 2: The it's just believable.
Speaker 4: And yet it's perfectly to the debate that started the episode, and it feels like Cory and I mean, Topanga and Sean are seeing each other's point. It's just great.
Speaker 5: Yes, and Pega is also challenging him in a really interesting way, like, well, maybe sent a signal?
Speaker 1: Like he can that she doesn't. She doesn't like that all the time accusatory.
Speaker 4: She's letting him draw it out very intelligently, so he has to come to those own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great, it's great, Sean argues.
Speaker 1: The only signal I sent him was to stop it to Panga points out, and he didn't listen. Sean explains, I'm not like that and I never will be again.
Speaker 4: Right before a really nice little revision that Sean makes. It's like this micro it's like, I'm not like that, and then realizing like, oh my god, I might have been.
Speaker 3: I may realize it.
Speaker 4: I may have been, like I'm not all and so he makes the sort of immediate adjustment.
Speaker 5: Doesn't he say it twice? Which I think is even better. Doesn't he say I'm not like that, I'm not I'll never be like that again. And it's the second I'm not that just sold the whole thing for me, where it's like now he's first he just says it because he's it's a knee jerk reaction, well I'm not like that, and then it's trying to convince yourself right, and then it's the realization that maybe I was.
Speaker 2: And it all happens that fast. It's great, so well done. Just yeah, like one, that's only three seconds.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, And then right before Gary walks up, Sean wants to quit, but Corey reminds them they have an article to finish. Sean's eye, I should have worn a pant suit, which great, gosh, it's so great. Then Gary arrives. Look sorry, I got a little aggressive. Nobody respects women more than me.
Speaker 3: Great, ride.
Speaker 2: Me too, Like I love my mother.
Speaker 4: I would never be any guy ever, said.
Speaker 2: Well, I have the mom, I have it. Shut up, but has nothing to do with exact women.
Speaker 4: You're actually attracted to her inner relationship like stop.
Speaker 3: Stop, nobody respects women more than me. You forgive me.
Speaker 1: Chorus speaks on her behalf. Of course she forgives you. You two are just adorable together. Gary extends and offered to Veronica, how about I teach you how to play foosball? She smirks, how about I teach you? She glides away and Gary laughs Yeah right. They walk away, and Chorus starts to complain pulling at her clothes.
Speaker 3: My hosiery is bunching.
Speaker 2: We said we would. We said that for the next four years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for the rest, for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 2: We would say that.
Speaker 1: Veronica leads Gary to the foosball table and he gives a very simplified explanation of how to play the game. Veronica asks, like this, and effortlessly scores a goal, which is wrong.
Speaker 4: By the way, I don't think you're not technically you're not allowed to spin.
Speaker 2: You can't spin the handle.
Speaker 4: No, that's playing football, absolutely wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the fact that Sean's supposed to be good on it, right, aggressive and fast and hard, spin them, spoon them.
Speaker 1: Gary looks at her and awe kind of like that. Veronica jokes, I can go a little easier.
Speaker 3: If you want.
Speaker 1: Gary brushes her off. Just take your next shot. He blocks her shot, and she gives him admiration on the way he blocked it. He asks, oh, you like that, Let me show you how I did it. He walks over to Veronica, sliding his hand down her arms and positioning himself directly behind her to show her how to do it. He advises, what you need to have is a real light touch. Then he grabs her hips and Veronica shoves him off. Gary defends himself. I'm just showing you how to play the game. Veronica fights back, I know how to play the game. He sarcastically tells her, I could tell by the way you're dressed. Veronica answers, I just wanted to look nice. Gary compliments her and grabs her shoulders. She reminds him not to touch her. Gary holds his hands up dramatically. Okay, don't like to be touched. Veronica's getting mad. Did it ever occur to you that I might be a nice girl?
Speaker 2: No, leather jacket.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't like this one part of the writing that the implication is nice girls, nice girls don't want to ever make out or fool around on a first date.
Speaker 3: That part maybe could have, but.
Speaker 4: You're not a nice girl. It's then okay to just go over and manhandle you.
Speaker 1: That's the other right, exactly that either way, Yeah, that the only reason you're not allowed to do this is because I'm a nice girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Gary argues, No, what I thought was no. What I thought was that you'd be into guys. But I guess you're not. I guess you prefer girls for a corresponds Now in Shawn's voice. As a matter of fact, I do, Gary shocked. What Sean reiterates, I said, as a matter of fact, and punches Gary directly in the face.
Speaker 2: I do one of the few moments of violence.
Speaker 5: Yeah, an actual punch, not a headlocker, an actual punch who headlocks.
Speaker 3: Gary, lays on the floor in pain.
Speaker 2: Head off, jerk store.
Speaker 1: Gary lay's on the floor and pain. What was that for for every girl I've ever known? Then Cora walks over, Please pay it the register, honey, and tipping is not a city in China. She rips off the receipt and throws it onto Gary. Coorra locks arms with Veronica. Come on, honey, we're out of here. Then Corera grabs Tapanga's arms and the three of them walk out proudly. And I love that little ending to our story.
Speaker 5: And it was like, David, let's go. And then boom their credits to there are Oh. I thought there's going to be more.
Speaker 2: I was hoping that was going to be more.
Speaker 1: And then we're in the tag in the school hallway. The school newspaper's big headline is chick Like Me, and above it is a picture of Veronica and Coorra. Everyone is reading it, including Sean and Corey, who are surrounded by girls taking a look. Phoene waltz up applauding them. Seems the whole school is talking about it, and if I do say so myself, excellent article, though he shakes his head troubling photographs. Tapega and Debbie excitedly joined them. Topanga is so.
Speaker 3: Proud of Corey.
Speaker 1: Corey shrugs, well, I am a journalist, dag nabbitt. Debbie then thanks him for what he did. Sean responds, not necessary. I learned a lot. In fact, of all the guys around, I'd say I'm the world's most perfect date right now.
Speaker 4: A way to Penga gives Corey a lot of great Sean cam up with the idea and.
Speaker 2: Exactly kind of interesting, like.
Speaker 1: We have to keep the boy in the storyline to Pega has but it's his his wrote he wrote the article. So the whole idea at the beginning of it was he should write something of substance, so he sure Sean okayt.
Speaker 2: Him to do it, and then like when he would he couldn't do.
Speaker 1: Debbie ads, of all the girls around, I could probably use a perfect date right now. So what do you have in mind? Sean suggests we could start with an evening of good conversation. Debbie throws in and a genuine connection with another human being. Sean says, I'm your boy. Debbie holds out her hand and Sean grabs it. They walk away happily together. The audience woos them loudly. Is to Panga and Corey watched the couple with smiles on their faces. Corey's face turns into a painful grimace as he scratches his pants. Panga asks what's wrong, and he says in his Cora voice, my hosiery is still bunch, and there you have it.
Speaker 3: There you go. This was, like we said at the beginning.
Speaker 1: I think this was while I was watching it, I was so enjoying it. I was enjoying the story, I was enjoying the relationships. I was enjoying the way it was written. You could play this episode right now and it would be it would feel timely and relevant and smart and funny and yeah.
Speaker 3: I just overall really really.
Speaker 2: Season four, Season four, just continuing one after another.
Speaker 3: It's great, britty darn great.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. Our next episode recap will be season four, episode sixteen.
Speaker 3: A Long Walk to Pittsburgh, Part one.
Speaker 2: Wow one after another bang.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So as always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 2: My merch is bunching.
Speaker 1: Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com