Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast. My name is James Crombie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg and.
Speaker 2: I'm Made and Chasin, head of the Amere credit research team at Bloomberg Intelligence. This week, we're very pleased to welcome Henrick Johns, CEO and partner of Sona Asset Management.
Speaker 3: How are you, Henrik, I'm doing great. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Henrik was previously the global co head of Capital markets and co heed of European Investment banking at Deutsche Bank, and he is Sona's first CEO. Sona managers twenty billion dollars, up from about six billion in twenty twenty four. It runs a long short European focused fund, provides capital solutions to firms in need of financing, invest in SRTs, and also has a COLO business. It's flagship hedge fund again top in eight percent last year. So James, I'll hand over to you to kick us off.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Aiden, Thanks for joiningus, Henricks. Clearly a lot to discuss today. I do want to start, though, with the stress that you're seeing in credit markets. Regular listeners to this show will be aware of the prevailing optimism or complacency depending on your point of view. When we talk to investors and analysts, almost everyone is bullish right now on credit, but SONA is positioning for a tougher cycle ahead.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: To be clear, your firm is in a position to take advantage of market dislocations, so it is in your interest to see the world in that way. But how tough could things get, Henrik, and where are the pressure points? Why is that not and also why is that not reflected in the data or the market pricing right now?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a it's a funny definition of stress that you started a stress where everyone is positive. Yeah, I'm not sure that actually is stress. I think the opportunity set that's therefore a fund like us is enormous. And you know that opportunity set is there because we're seeing so many different trends that are driving the credit markets, some of which are genuinely transformational, you know, to all of our lives, like the large amount of AI financing that needs to happen across all markets, all products together with you know, also some trends around how we consume things, European d industrialization. There's just a lot of things to get your teeth into if you're a long short credit manager like ourselves.
Speaker 1: But how tough do you think things could get?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Because you do talk about a tougher cycle a head, and you do talk about more defaults and low recoveries. I mean that would suggest stress to me.
Speaker 3: It depends a lot on which market segments. So if we start maybe with the the BSL market, you know, something that maybe isn't widely appreciated is at the sort of aggregate level of defaults in the BSL market is at a pretty high level, and it represents it's a you know, dispersion and and in some cases disruption you know where you know, some of the ways that people have financed themselves, you know, during the private credit boom and the private equity boom. You know, some of those things in terms of lack of credit discipline, you know, really starting to come home to roost. And so that again creates opportunity, you know, to to provide solutions, you know, to some of the stressed capital structures. And you know, that's a place again where where we do do really well because we have a lot of fundamental you know, analysis skills and also the scale you know, to make a difference. So, you know, in terms of trying to answer your question, which is which is very broad one, you know, how how bad can things get? Yeah? Things right now? You know that there's opportunities. I wouldn't say that they're bad per se. And you know, one of the things that I'm sure we'll cover, which we spend a lot of time thinking about, is, you know, the amount of AI capex that's coming and the financing needs. Is that an appropriate level of exuberance around the opportunities And you know, not to get historical round it, but if you look at prior cycles, you a lot of people talking about the railway boom for example of eighteen seventy three. You know, you have to go back a long way, but you know that there's genuine productivity improvements that are potentially coming from this, you know, which could justify you know, the valuations of the financing needs. But the sort of the flip side of that is, of course, that software which previously has been seen as an incredibly safe, you know, highly lucrative investment, both on the equity and the dead side. You know is is you know, under pressure because you know, maybe the AI spending and the tools that we can all develop, you know, is going to you know, make the markets you know that they're in, you know, much more difficult. So again that creates an opportunity which is a sort of a factor or a tangent to the AI boom.
Speaker 2: So it's about opportunity from from the shorting side. Do you think there is any kind of long opportunities available in this market as well? Or is it is the focus of the firm mainly really kind of areas of distress and emerging problems.
Speaker 3: So I mean I should probably take a step back and talk about what SONA does, you know, because we are at the moment a very broad firm in terms of what we look at. So we're active and everything from investment grade bonds you know, to obviously you know, regular way high yield and b A sels. You know, we do a bit of private credit where it makes sense for some of our strategies, you know, all the way to converts and so on. So you know, we're we're kind of in a lot of different things, and you know they all have different dynamics, so you know, on on some things we're positioned you know for growth, and you know there's obviously long positions in other sectors. You know, we we think that the trend is going to be down in terms of price, you know, either because for you know, sector reasons or idiosyncratic critic reasons. And in those cases obviously you want to try to express that either by just staying away from it or by going short if you can.
Speaker 1: Where are other problems though in terms of sex, what do you stay away from?
Speaker 3: I mean again, we don't really think of sectors as something which are you know, stay away at any price. We look at everything in terms of, you know, what would be the appropriate entry point, either on the short or the long side, you know, for what that particular name or the sector is going through. So a great example is last year the European chemical sector was one of the worst performing sectors, you know, obviously high energy prices and so on. And then when the war in Iran started and a lot of those industry dynamics you know, suddenly reversed, and you know, a sector that people had seen as as completely toxic and you can see that in the capital structures trading levels of some of the major European names you know, suddenly quickly recovered because the dynamics shifted. So I think the benefit of you know, looking at things based on kind of the enterprise what we think is going to happen. You know, that gives us opportunities to what we did in that case, which quickly reverse our thinking, you know, invest in it. You know, now with the you know, the war in Iran, hopefully you know, getting towards the end, you know, the industry dynamics start to reassert themselves in terms of the cost structure, you know, for Europe, and and maybe it's time to you know, to think about that bit more on the short.
Speaker 1: Side, if you are going to go short in this market, you know, it doesn't seem that easy when you're talking about some of the more leveraged capital structures and more the more liquid companies that you're you're dealing with. How what what the what's the mechanism by which you could take a short position right now in a credit market?
Speaker 3: Again, I mean, we have a very wide set of investment tools, so you know, some things are easier to short, some things are harder. So it's sort of just a it's very situational. In some cases, you know, you can use CDs. In some cases you can you know, borrow the bonds go short that way. It really just depends and you know, as part of every analysis, of course, you know, it's what's the cost of of that short you know, factors into the investment decision. So yeah, we we look at things on a very individual way.
Speaker 2: Who's providing that liquidity in in sort of more private or or distressed end of the market.
Speaker 3: I mean, again, I probably wouldn't want to comment on on sort of individual relationships that we have. You know, I think some markets are more liquid than others. You know, those are easier to express views in otherwise less. So again, it just really I'm glad.
Speaker 1: You mentioned AI and software. That is something we spend a lot of time talking about. But the software story, I mean, it started off as a bit of a shock to everyone, and everyone wanted to get out, and then there was a kind of counter movement where everyone kind of got back in realized that that software generally wasn't worthless. You know, these companies, a lot of them were utilities, and that they would actually survive. But it sounds like you have a more sort of bearish view on the sector, and I'm wondering, you know, in terms of you do expect more defaults, you expect less recovery. Do you expect to kind of wipe out in that sector at this at this point, hate hate to repeat.
Speaker 3: It depends on the name. I mean, I think we are definitely bearish on the sector. But that's also because of how quickly we internally are starting to utilize you know, the technological tools that you know AI is giving us, and you know, I'm sure that you know many of the listeners and and you know yourselves at Bloomberger are doing the same. And so in some cases you will have the ability for you know, software providers to to really reduce their costs because you know, their development costs you know, are going down as as they can code you know, more efficiently, and that will enhance their margins and and they will do well. Yeah, in other cases, you know, they're very vulnerable to disruption, and you know, so I think we are on the more barish end, you know, when it comes to to this sector overall. And you know, just to address your question about you know, the quick sell off and then the recovery, I think it's it's definitely worth sort of mentioning that, you know, the software business, especially if it's based on subscription. It's not like it goes away in the space of one quarter. I mean, that's that's the nature of the business. And you know, we're very early in the software or is there in the AI sort of utilization boom, and people need to think about how many tokens you know, they're they're buying and spending money on. But you know, over time, you know, particularly if you take software, you know, in the sort of leverage finance space, you know, these are often a bit smaller. You know, they're higher leveraged companies, slightly more vulnerable in terms of disruption. And if you have a big maturity that's coming up in a couple of years time, I'm sure you've you've seen, you know, there's about a twenty percent maturity cliff in twenty twenty eight, and that's a very self selecting group of companies that are are subject to that. You know that refinancing is going to be harder, and you know, if you just look at these names on the basis of are they paying their current income, what is you know, this quarter's earnings, you know then obviously you know big price falls is unjustified. But if you're thinking ahead and thinking about the terminal value. Then it's different. And you know, I think a great way to illustrate that is you think about, you know, where secondary buyout funds are pricing, or even just what's happening in the equity markets. It sort of tells you that all is not well, you know, in that sector in general, and a.
Speaker 2: Nasset like sector of course, which is something that you guys have brought up about one of the kind of structural problems with the portfolios in private credit right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, I think you know, private credit, you know, as sort of a tangent, you know, was a phenomenally successful business for a long time, I mean last ten years really, but you know, in a way it was a victim of its own success. You know, they've seen a lot of inflows and so it became very deployment focused, and the easiest way to deploy was in large software deals, you know, particularly in the sort of twenty one twenty two boom. So if you've ended up with a lot of that in your portfolio, then you know you're going to be scratching your head a little bit now and thinking like how do I get out of this? And of course, you know, it's very much in your interest to believe that these credits are all performing and there's nothing wrong. You know, time will tell.
Speaker 1: And do you expect much lower recovery rates than what people are currently assuming.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one thing that hopefully market pisipits are very aware of is that the there's been a big divergence over the last you know, five years in terms of the credit quality on loans and bonds and you know loans, both BSL loans and private credit loans, although obviously there's less information available in private credit, you know, where the bond market, you know, because of the discipline of ratings and you know mark to markets and and daily liquidity has trended to becoming higher quality in terms of ratings, and the BSL market has tended to become lower quality, you know, because you've just been able to do you know, more sort of qute unquote creative things there and so, uh, you know, we do think that there's going to be you know, more stress in the loan market, but again, you know that that creates opportunity because you know, there's a right price to enter a credit that's under stress, you know where you know it may not have asset value, but maybe it persists longer than you think, or you have a great match mean team that's able to turn around, or you know, and there's some very super I mean very smart you know equity sponsors who are good at building businesses and restructuring. So yeah, again it's very situational in terms of you know how to invest in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that brings me on to the question we have about the kind of refinancing. Well, you touched on it earlier. John Eyrewood, obviously founder of Sona said last year at about one hundred billion dollars of European leverage credit issued by Pe firms or struggle to refinance before it matures in twenty twenty eight, do you have a kind of update on that view, and then maybe just talk us through what's Sona's approach to kind of evaluating that risk or all of those issues coming to market, and what's your edge compared to maybe your peers in how you would look at that.
Speaker 3: So I think Sona's edge and I speak as a relatively recent arrival who's not making investments, So you know, please take this, you know, with a with a grain of salt, but I think the reason for the firm's success is that it essentially thinks of itself and is perceived by a lot of its sort of counterparties as as a solution provider. And you know, that solution can be anything from anchoring a new issue, you know, to d risk a bank underwrite, you know, to supporting a sponsor in a amend and extent they want to do for for a b SL and and sort of anything in between, or de risking a bank by investing in an SRT, you know, to help them recycle capital for something that they want to do. So you know, we we sort of do all of those things. And you know, to maintain that, you know that view by our counterparties, you need to have scale, so you know, they need to be able to come to us and feel like, you know, even if we're not doing the whole solution, we're a significant part of it. So it's not a waste of time to to sort of get us on board. It requires obviously, you know, fundamental analysis, you know, to understand what you're getting yourself into. And it also requires, and this is really the thing that we think is most critical, you know, a broad view across public and private markets, so we can think about how to price risk appropriately, you know, kind of everywhere that that touches this credit, you know, whether that's you know, in the BSL market, you know what's going on in private credit, and also in the public markets, and so you know, the combination of those three things means that often we are in a position where, certainly in Europe and increasingly in the US, you know, we are coming up with solutions in partnership, you know, with our relationships as opposed to you know, being the fund that someone calls up, you know and says, this is what's happening, and you know, again that requires being very you know, fast in responses. I remember when I was on the cell side. You know, the thing I probably hated the most was getting strung along for a few weeks by fund and then getting told no. You know, I'd much rather have a fast no and then move on or know that I'm wrong. You know, fast know, in many cases is as good or almost as good as a yes. And then you know, again like being there not based on whether the market has moved five basis points that day, but having done a fundamental credit analysis that you stick with your view because it's a high conviction view.
Speaker 1: But is the edge more that you kind of get involved in the smaller situations as well, because you know, what you're describing is pretty much what you know, all the banks would say, including JP Morgan, that they offer across the board service, but you must be doing a different scale of business right in the middle market.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what I mean by that is that while many banks have obviously a very broad business model, even though not all of them are particularly well joined up between the different types of things that they do, there's not that many people on the by side, and yes, certainly in Europe that have the broad, unconstrained mandate that we do. And you know, again we touched on AI. You know, we're we're very active in you know, all sorts of types of AI investments, you know, many in the US, increasingly in Europe. We're also you know, very active in the new issue market. You know, we're a big trader in the secondary market. So it's really just that we're constantly ingesting information and getting signals you know, from the kind of investments that we're doing or or frankly investments that we choose not to do. And you know, that's what gives us that that sort of fundamental conviction. And you know, we're also relatively focused on you know, liquidity and you know, making sure that you know, something is you know, whatever it is that we're doing is appropriate in terms of liquidity for the strategy that we invest in. Yeah, and obviously we have a number of different buckets that we can use as investing vehicles.
Speaker 1: But the scale of these deals and you mentioned AI, I mean I've talked to an underwriter recently who said that quote, some of these issues wouldn't get out of bed for less than twenty five billion, which is a huge, you know evolution even compared to last year. And so like we're talking about massive, massive, you know, a multi trillion dollar investment cycle. How does a you know, relatively niche shop like Sonar participate in that.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad you asked that question, James, because I think we're everything other than niche in the world that we're in, you know, the and maybe touching a little bit on the on the kind of the AI CAPEX needs. So I think you know, people are banding around different numbers, you know, whether it's you know, eight hundred or nine hundred billion that needs to get financed in CAPEX next year. Now what that means is that the largest bar wars you know, in the investment grade bond market you know, are going to become you know, potentially the hyperscalers in uh you know, the course of you know, three to four years. But the investment grade bond market, you know, I unsecured that issue directly by the hyperscalers to finance the CAPEX is only a small part of the story. You know. It's everything from construction lending to GPU financing, to you know, HILD bonds, to various you know, securitization vehicles. You know, all of this is coming at us and that is what's creating you know, this incredible opportunity to invest money. And you know, for fund like us, I suppose we're niche in the sense that we are not managing a trillion, But you know what that also means is that for the opportunities that we pick to invest in, we can be very meaningful. And so you know, the reason we're so excited about what's going on in the world again, particularly in that space, is because the amount of opportunities that you get shown because banks, I mean a fundamental difference between bank and you know, debt financing equity financing generally is that banks and credit funds typically don't allow the kind of concentration that equity markets allow. So you have to have diversifications. So there's no institution on earth that could absorb, you know, all of the amount of debt requirements that that's coming. And so by having very strong sourcing relationships and you know, some of that edge that I mentioned, we're able to pick and choose the things that we really like, and you know, if there's something that we don't like, then you can just move on because you can be confident that next week someone else is going to show you a different deal which you may like. And so that just creates a great dynamic, you know, for us in terms of deploying capital, is.
Speaker 1: It though ABF type deals? Is it? I mean? I mean, how does Sony participate in a an AI financing? There's so many different kinds.
Speaker 3: Everything, you know, everything from you know, equity to HILED bonds to investment grade bonds to a b F. You know, we we have a very As I said, yes, some people still think of us as a European left in player and you know, we we are a lot more than that at this point. You know, we've got five global offices. We've just announced that we're opening one in Tokyo. You know, we have a significant investment team in New York and I've had for you know, really since the inception, So we're involved. You know, wherever we see you know alpha And you know, again it comes back to that investing age that I talked about, but you know that is applicable across all of these markets.
Speaker 1: So where do you see alpha right now? Because I mean if you've bought SpaceX bonds, that wouldn't have been partletuarly good that right last week? But what what is the opportunity in AI debt right now?
Speaker 3: Some trades are great and they pay you appropriately. Others are more more difficult. And you know what's fascinating about it is that on one hand, you can say all of this is speculative, right, you know, will people actually adopt AI? And you know, is all of this debt and you know all of this equity value you know going to work out well? And you know in a way if you look at you know, particularly the equity markets, you know you have you've see earnings assumptions that have gone up and up and up, and that is really what's justifying the valuations as opposed to you know, just multiple expansions and that earning. You know, there's many different ways of playing AI. You know, some of them is in memory, you know, others are in powershells, Others are in GPU financings. Others are you know, buying and trading high old bonds. I know some of your previous guests have talked about the the pressure that the sheer amount of financing will have on the IG market, and and we certainly think that the case. I mean, it's sort of inevitable that you know, with the amount of financing that has to go, that spreads you know, eventually go wider. I mean, it's just a supplied demand in bads. At the same time, you know, with yields where they are, if we're talking about you know, IG bonds for a second, you know, there is still a ton of demand you know, from yield buyers, insurance companies and others, and you know that's what's keeping spreads as tight as they are. So we're not necessarily seeing that, you know, there's a massive widening happening in the short term. But I mean those of us that have been in the market for a long time know that you know, comes and fits and starts, and you know there'll be you know, some rumor that a hyperscaler is is slowing down its cap e spending and everyone will panic and sell everything, and then in two weeks time, you know, they'll buy everything again and again. If you think about, you know what what a fund like ours does, you know, we really live off of, you know, the rate of changed seeing things go up and down. That's what creates opportunities for us. Rather than saying, okay, you know AI is the thing We're going to put all our money and go along this, you know, we we obviously try to find ways to create convexity in our investment.
Speaker 2: Given your background as an originator, given be touching on this subject, have to ask you a lot's been made about pe firms kind of eating debt, syndicate of bank investment banks lunch in times of the origination market, even spreading into investment grade in a big way. What's your kind of take on that and how you see the outlook for that kind of disintermediated origination going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the ones that you may be talking about may have started as p firms, but you know, they're not that anymore. Look, I think that the trends in the left in market and just markets generally has been that both you know, private equity firms have gotten a lot more sophisticated. You know, they all have capital markets, you know, teams now, you know, which are in many cases directly syndicating debt, you know, and in some cases you know, obviously they've grown to become you know, completely outgrown their their private equity businesses. So for us, you know, it's again about being a solutions provider to all sides of that. I mean, I have to think that banks and you know, I've I've left banking now, but I think banks have an opportunity to gain market share, you know, for for the next couple of years, because you know, aside from the A boom, another thing that we strongly believe in is that public and private markets are converging, and public markets are probably going to be gaining market share at the expense of private markets. I mean, if you just think about what's happened, private markets benefited from the sort of the financial repression ultra low interest rates caused a lot of money to flow into that you know where that's p direct lending or other forms of financing. And you know, if you just take the US I p O market, you can see that actually there's a reequitization happening. You know, buybacks are slowing down and people are issuing more more equity. I mean, look at you know that that Google deal SpaceX. You know, we'll have more jumbo I p O s you know, coming and so you know, I think the types of firms that are involved in the public markets, you know, are going to benefit. And for banks, you know, regulation in the US certainly seems like it's it's getting a bit looser, and you know, with less money flowing into direct lending, I think that creates an opportunity for for banks and public markets because banks generally aren't in the you know, sort of warehousing business, right They're they're moving, not in storage, as they say, and you know, they need somewhere to go with it. And you know, we try to position ourselves as you know, the partner of choice you know four banks in terms of helping them distribute their risk.
Speaker 1: Does that not mean the returns suffer because you know, public investors generally went to private markets to find better returns for the illiquidity. If they're converging, then you're gonna have more more trouble finding alph.
Speaker 3: No, because I think again, the ability to trade things and express views in the public market is really what generates the alpha. You know, certainly for for us, we try to run our business as a series of smaller wins and and that's what generates the revenue rather than taking huge directional bed and again that's that's a fundamental difference between you know, a sort of deployment focused model as opposed to a trading focused model. You know, you're always thinking about liquidity, and you know, can you monetize you know, a movement up or down in our price?
Speaker 1: Can we talk about Europe, Henrick, I mean you are based there, That's that's where you know the roots are camp I know you have an international kind of expansion plan. But but sitting there and having the advantage in terms of your knowledge of the local economies and jurisdictions and all that stuff. What what is the Europe against US credit market proposition? Right now?
Speaker 3: I should start by saying we love Europe. You know, this is obviously where you know, Sona was founded. It's where I've spent my whole career. But we love it because it's complex and difficult and and a bit harder to get your head around than the US market is now. I don't want to take anything away from you know the world's largest credit market where all the exciting innovation is happening. And you know, I think for investing in equity, the US frankly, I mean the growth, both the productivity, growth, the innovation, you know, that clearly has Europe beat. But for a credit provider, you know, example we like to use is that in the US you've got you know, three cell phone companies, uh, and they're all super sophisticated, large borrowers, you know, with capital markets program. You know, in Europe each country has three, uh you know, cell phone providers, if not four, and so you know, and that's twenty seven countries times three, So you know, it just gives you so many more opportunities, you know, to to unlock value. So I think that that sort of you know, our our sort of roots in being you know, the best at investing in Europe with a large unconstrained mandates. That that is always going to be foundation of the firm. Having said that, you know, it's not so much international expansion plans. I mean we we are expanded, you know in the US. And you know, while the market there is more competitive, I should say. You know, one of the things about Europe is it is less competitive because it's more difficult, you know, while the US market is more competitive. Again some of the same edge that helps us in Europe. Good partner you know, uh, you know, fundamental analysis, commit in size, commit early, give good feedback. You know, those things work just as well in the US capital markets as they do in Europe. So you know, we certainly see on our side that are sort of mind share and certainly told by some of our partners, mind share you know in the US is is also drastically increased, you know the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Oh they're more quiet detonstructurings going on in the background. Well, I think there definitely are on the private credit side. And you know that's something which is a little bit mysteriou because you know, I mentioned before the elevated levels of defaults in the b SL market, and if you think about private credit as.
Speaker 3: A as an asset class, it has a lot of commonality, you know, in terms of who the who the sponsors are, you know, who the investors are, and the types of companies. You'd argue that they're probably a bit smaller on average than you know, companies that end up in the BSL market depent on obviously when when the deal was issued, and so you know, it seems to us, but there's obviously not a huge amount of data on this. You know, by nature of it being private that there must be a lot of quote unquote quiet restructurings, you know, pick tranches, you know, things like that, you know that are going on in that market, and you know that's probably going to be reflected in the returns people are seeing in their private credit portfolios. You know, over the next couple of years. That's you know, I don't think it's a sort of summit systemic suddenly we have a Lehman moment and the world ends. But you know, kind of just a slow grind of you know, especially as there's less liquidity coming in, you know, refinancing becomes a bit more difficult, performance suffers. You know that there's going to be you know, more more trouble in that space.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing opportunities right now to take on some of that stress in terms of you know, the BDCs over here in a lot of trouble and they seem to be eating to fund redemptions. Are they are they selling their loans at a discount that you're seeing, or even the clos that are trying to you know, reduce their software exposure or their triples the exposure.
Speaker 3: It's a very interesting topic because the short answer is no. As in there is not a lot of sales of private credit assets or even portfolios, and you know, the portfolios that are trading are trading actually at pretty high prices. That is a little bit hard to square sort of redemptions coming in quarter by quarter, you know, into you know, some of these structures that that allow it. Again, I think it it just takes a bit of time, you know, for for the you know, first, first of all, you know, inflows obviously have to be smaller than outflows in order to create stress in the system. You know, there's all sorts of bank financings and other ways of raising liquidity, you know, and and in fact, some private credit deals do trade, you know, so you can actually you know, raise you know, some cash by selling you know, the really good stuff over time. Though, you know, it's an area that we're watching carefully because it does feel like there's going to be opportunities there, but we just don't see it right now.
Speaker 1: You like those what's the opportunity?
Speaker 3: Yes, we really like SRTs and obviously we have a standalone SRT fund as well, although we also invest in in other ways. And you know, the reason why we like SRTs is because it's part of a broader trend that is, you know, working very much in our favor, and that is that European banks in particular have realized that the way that they can get the best returns for their shareholders is to develop more into an origination to originate, to distribute model. And you know, that's always been the case in leverage finance broadly, and it's one of the things that created an opportunity for direct lenders to step into you know, mid market lending that in Europe you know previously would have been done by banks, but you know regulation was was you know, making it more more punitive. Yeah, that same trend is happening across more asset classes. So it's a big part of why we think the ABF opportunity in Europe is so exciting, and you know, so what we try to do either through SRT technology, which is obviously a very structured way of providing capital relief to to a bank you know too you know more niche things, you know, things like bespoke CDs or you know, outright sales or syndications you know, to really you know, utilize the you know, the very strong relationships that banks have, you know, with their customers and that we could never replicate and don't want to replicate, but basically be a partner alongside banks, you know, to help them move risk. And again that flexible mandate that we have which allows us to look at you know, everything and anything you know on a bank balance sheet and try to price that approp brittlely. You know, that is a big advantage for us. And you know, the SRT fund and and kind of SRTs is is really just a subset of of that SAT.
Speaker 2: He's obviously growing fantastically well over the last few years. What's what's the next phase? How do you how do you drive that even further? Do you need to hire he looks like you've been doing some some geographic geographic kind of diverse ication do you need to acquire? What's what does the future hold?
Speaker 3: Like I think I'm sonas a great business. It's ten years old in September, and I can't take any credit for what's happened until now, but you know, it's it's a great place to work. The culture is amazing, and you know, our plans are manifold. I mean, the the most important thing is to deliver good returns to our investors. And yeah, that's what drives you know, everything, and that's you know, I you know, we keep investing in technology, in you know, smart people. You know, we have hired you know, quite quite a few people recently, you know, both on the investment and the non investment side. But I think we're about the right size. And one of the things that's that's most fascinating now, you know, just circling back to the beginning, is you know, what is the AI or what are the AI tools that are available to us going to mean? You know, for you know, the the investment world and and you know the amount of analysis that you can do, you know, with a given set of people, you know, both on your internal process side but also on the investment side. So you know, we're very excited about that. You know, I think in terms of you know, if there was apart from some of these mega trends that I've talked about AI CAPEX, you know, sort of we haven't really talked about, you know, what's going on the consumer side with glps and people eating and drinking like you know, d industrialization, you all really important trends. I think the thing that invites excites us the most probably is you know, the sort of the scope for growth in A B F markets, you know here in Europe because you know, just like we've been talking about private and public convergence in the same way corporate and and structured finance. You know, that is also converging, and you know it's most easily seen on the on the AI side, but European utilities, you know, same thing. They need to massively invest in transmission generation, you know, upgrading things. You know, there's going to be opportunities to you know, get investment grade returns, sorry, get above investment grade returns, you know, by being smart on structure, you know, from you know, with basically the backing of investment grade counterparties. So this isn't just a hyperscalar data center kind of trade. Yeah, there's lots of those things. And again that that's probably where we can see you know, most growth and also where SONA is incredibly well placed by virtue of our market share in Europe and our relationships you know, with with potential borrowers and issues.
Speaker 1: Well, it happens to that market though, I mean, does it have to experience regulatory changes or how does it grow? Because we have had people looking at ABF in Europe, but what what's the thing that makes makes it much bigger?
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of people talk about that, you know, there needs to be changes in securitization rules and so on, and yeah, that that is certainly all true. But you know, in a way, this isn't so much about regulation. It's about just need you know, and availability of capex. You know that, you know, the the investments have to be made. And you know the great thing for US is, you know, the banks can't absorb you know, this amount of financing. You know, banks obviously have a higher market share in Europe than in in the US, and the banks don't don't want to absorb it, you know, they want to underwrite some, keep some and sell some and you know, again that's where you know, we we play a really important role.
Speaker 1: When we talk to the A b F people in the US, they talk a lot about the scale of it, you know, into the tens of trillions of dollars of opportunity, but they also talk about the need to be very large to to take advantage to that. So, you know, again to sort of repeat, maybe rephrase aidents aidents question, I mean, why why not expand from from where you are?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Why why not acquire? Why not massively increase your your footprint?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, of course we we'd like to do that, but you know, we're we're not gonna do anything that that sort of just distracts from our core mission, which is, you know, deploy capital effectively and get good returns. You know. So you know, we're we're a relatively small business in number of people. You know, we don't have endless capacity. But you know, some of the things I've said probably gives you an indication of places that were interested in in expanding and offering new products, you know, and that's obviously an ongoing dialogue.
Speaker 1: You know, with r LPs, you have the US, you also have Japan. Any other countries you to get involved in.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's a lot of exciting things. But you know, between the US, Europe and are two. So we have an investing office in Hong Kong, I should say, uh, and then you know Abu Dhabi and and Japan. That's it's quite a lot to manage. So it's only from my side, I'm happy if we stay as we are for for a little while.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. Henrik Johnson, CEO of Sona Asset Management, thank you so much for joining us on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, and of.
Speaker 1: Course very grateful to Aden Chesslin with Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, James.
Speaker 1: For more credit market analysis and insight, read all of Aiden's great work on the Bloomberg terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department, with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits, PUS outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market industries, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at bpod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at jcromb eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Crombie. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Ledge