Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Week of False Hope. If you're an NFL fan, you can have all the hope you want. And for some of you fan bases, some of you fans, you know it's false hope. You just don't want somebody telling you it's false hope. As I found out in the first hour with Browns fans and Saints fans, how dare you tell us our team is going to be bad? Only we can say our team is going to be bad? But you know, reality sets in and then all of a sudden, you go, all right, we are who we thought we were. Thursday night, NFL season kicks off the rivalry the Eagles the Cowboys. The line is now up to eight and a half. NFL Kickoff presented by YouTube TV. Thursday, It's seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock. Michael Irvin will join us coming up momentarily. Good morning. If you are watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. A couple more phone calls this final hour come up with a new poll question as well, and could the LA Clippers be in trouble with the NBA circumventing the salary cap, maybe paying Kawhi Leonard money off the books. Pablo Torre has an expose, and we'll talk to Pablo. He'll join us in about twenty five minutes from now. He is the playmaker. He's IRV, three time Super Bowl champion, he is a Hall of Shamer, and he is a proud member of the You he was on the sidelines, Mike, you were more excited than the players during that Notre Dame game.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about that, DP because I certainly certainly didn't put in the work that they put in. But then listen, I know, I know I'm approaching you know, sixty years old. Those are young men playing, just having fun. Is my job to let them note, these are the greatest times of your life. Yeah, don't let these slip away. You're writing your history and go right. Well, so you could be.
Speaker 4: An old man like me and remin this well later, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But it was it's so great to be out there with those guys then and be able to feel like you're part of something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: They look at me, they said, oh, we love it with you here, man, and.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just yeah, that does things for me, man, so so I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: What was it like to watch the Cowboy documentary when you're reopening a scrap book there?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that was It was easy for me because it was my life. I walked out and I lived on it. I lived in my head with it all the time anyway, you know. And and then it was time to really open up and share about a lot of things. The world has moved forward and changed, and now you can use your history to try to help somebody have got a destiny if you can, if you open up and share. So that's what I thought it was time to do. And in the documentary, and and I thought they did a great job. I thought they did a great job in shooting it and allowing people to share and try to straighten out some of the stories you know that always get greater later and turning their lives.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the one story that you wanted to correct?
Speaker 3: Well, well, I don't want to say I want to correct, but like you're you're not a guy that's over that. Boys would be boys books walking around like like I tripped a pair of suitters that just walked up and stabbed Everett mcgiver in the naked stuff like that, even though it was all wrong.
Speaker 4: But that's not what happened. You know.
Speaker 3: We we were we weren't getting hairt haircut and everything.
Speaker 4: And actually I was getting my ass kicked, you.
Speaker 5: See what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I was really get my ass kicking, and in order to try to defend myself, I did something stupid, you know, stuff like that. But and we were out drinking, and we were out drinking before that. We were all and I was what I was doing was reving the line in the young lineman, just like I did with Big E, just like we did with Larry Allen, to make sure they're ready with his time.
Speaker 4: He was the new guy coming in.
Speaker 3: We were like, come on, new guy, you're the new guy, you know, things like that. And we had already asked some drinks frire to that, I think, And then Big E was messing with him, telling me, come on, now, you ain't gonna let that little say something you like that, right every.
Speaker 4: And then he came in. Yeah he was whooping by butt there right for him.
Speaker 2: All wait, so then you grab the scissors.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have done that. And I thank him today though, Rich. I mean, I'm gonna call you Rich because I'm so used to you and Rich together DP. I thank him today for the way he handled that. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I was trying to I talked to Big E. We can't. I was looking for his number.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to reach out to him again, because when you see the documentary, it makes you think and really relive all of it, and and you think about how important that moment was and the way he handled it for me and to still be at this moment at end of my life. So it makes you want to reach out and just just tell him thank you again.
Speaker 2: Are the Cowboys better this week than last week?
Speaker 4: I can't say that, And that's why do you.
Speaker 2: Think Jerry feels that way?
Speaker 4: That's that's it. I say, I can't say that, and that's a hurting question.
Speaker 3: And and then you ask that question, and I'm giving you because he's a hurt.
Speaker 4: Hurt, because he's hurting, that's the answer. You know.
Speaker 3: I know when I saw this, I felt his pain in that press conference. I know the relationship he wanted with Michael. I certainly know the relationship Michael wanted with Jerry. When I did that draft, I was at that draft, I was by spot. Michael came up to me and said, I'm going to do I'm gonna do just what you're doing.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be just don't do this, he said this.
Speaker 3: And then you'll see after the Cowboys actually draft him, we were in the back yelling. Liked he wanted to play for the Cowboys, who wanted to do win championships, and he wanted to be doing TV just like me.
Speaker 4: This is what he said to me day one of the draft.
Speaker 3: Now I know, I know, and he wanted a life after football and in this business. And what do you think that podcast would have been? He was building one hundred million dollar podcasts as long as he was playing for the Dallas Cowboys. It's no longer that anymore. So, so I know, you got a good deal, which really comes out to be five years, forty two million a year, but a great deal, a great deal, and and he got the money. But I still say it's a failure, certainly for the Cowboys, but but I.
Speaker 4: Think for him also.
Speaker 3: And then you did like like what your boy said, better for his agent than what's best for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you it feels like he still is a cowboy in his mind, like he wanted to be a cowboy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and and and the agent who does a great job came on went on Our Boys show yesterday, Steven and he said, he said.
Speaker 4: Michael wanted to be a Dallas cowboy.
Speaker 3: That your next statement is nothing boyd to me, everything else is nothing board because your job.
Speaker 4: You blew your job.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hear you tell me I got I raised the number about five million dollars.
Speaker 4: That's new money, new year.
Speaker 3: That's future value, not present value, because we're starting right here, even though it's only a year later.
Speaker 4: But then it's five You did.
Speaker 3: For forty two million, where you could have worked out a deal where Michael is taking home more money. You have worked out of there, and he should have put the egos aside and got that deal worked out. The number one thing he said was Michael wanted to be a Dallas cowboy. That's your job to go get the most money from the Dallas cowboys. That was your job and they failed.
Speaker 2: At Yeah, I understand what you're saying. And it felt like Jerry, his feelings are hurt, and you're not going to talk to me that way. I get deals done. I've made deals all my life. That's how I got here. Who are you to tell me to stick that contract you know up my rear end?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But also but also but also, oh so I understand that, I understand.
Speaker 4: I don't care how Jerry reacts. It is how you reacts to Jerry's reaction.
Speaker 3: And with steven aasked, he said, do you try to send a contract? He said, I told him yeah, he said, he said yes, he said yes, he said, I said to Adam, if you guys think I'm going to rubber stampy, don't that that shouldn't even come out of the mouth. Send a contract, go it over, red line in the contract what you did not like, Put your numbers in and send it back.
Speaker 4: You are in for a negotiation. I mean Jerry may have said.
Speaker 3: Well, he said, shove it up here, but he said he never said that I can buy that. But then on the other end, I must extrapolate from him that there's no way.
Speaker 4: He just said.
Speaker 3: I told him I'm not going rather stamping. If you guys were already in the heated moment. So yeah, yeah, you should have taken that contract and negotiate it. That's my thought. That's my thought. I got my opinion, you know, and if if Michael's and everybody happy, then I'm okay with it.
Speaker 4: But I just thought he wanted to be here.
Speaker 2: Michael Irvin, Hall of Famer, three times super Bowl champ. Hell's Dion doing.
Speaker 3: You know how Dion is doing? Yondon had a game he could have won the other night. He had that game that was a big game.
Speaker 2: So wise health wise.
Speaker 3: Health wise, he's great. Health Wise, he's great. Health wise, He's in the best place he could be. That's right back on the sideline with his guy. I told you Dan, when I went to see him and he was really at his lowest. All he talked about to me, which was amazing, was you know, I haven't seen my players. I haven't seen my players. And I told him it reminded me, well, my dad was very sick and went to the doctor and and all he was thinking about was his family. You know, it tells you the power and how powerful that kind of man is is that, you know, so so yeah, you know he feels it was like that, thinking only about his players. When he was at his lords and now his players are probably feeling low. Yeah, you know how he feels right now, But health wise he's healthy.
Speaker 2: If I told you that you could pick, he had to pick Miami Hurricanes win the National title or the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I would take.
Speaker 3: I would take the team that have already won a championship with. You know, whatever team I've already won a championship with that, that's the team I picked.
Speaker 2: Picked the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I want a championship, and both teams that there.
Speaker 2: Don't try to don't try to come.
Speaker 3: That did That ain't the first time. One time Miami, a team from Florida came up here to play a team in Texas. You know, in high school football. I was on the sideline. They were trying to pin me what state you're going for?
Speaker 4: The state I want a championship?
Speaker 2: That would you know, how do the Eagles not go back to the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Man? I mean, first of all, they have a great team.
Speaker 3: They have a great team, and it's going to take someone to go take it because they won't give it.
Speaker 4: Because he's a great leader in Jalen hurts Man, the way he.
Speaker 3: Just go about his business, and the best thing, the best thing happened to that team. And I'm not talking about for his ability to run the football. I'm talking about for his ability to run himself his way, his personality. Was Saquon Barkley coming over and showing that kind of leadership to the A. J. Browns and the Avante Smiths that it ain't about us individually, it's about us collectively.
Speaker 4: And now, yeah, now they're dangerous.
Speaker 3: They are the favorites, and you gotta go take it from them. The only way they lose it is if they lose that glue. That glue is Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 2: How often you talk to Troy?
Speaker 4: I told him Truck quite a bit. I saw him the last couple couple weeks.
Speaker 3: With a couple of things we were doing together, like you know, of course I had them on my podcast and on a YouTube channel, and then we had we went to Jimmy's retirement party, you know, I mean, we selected in Jimmy's retirement party from Fox. So so yeah, we get out, we get around and get to talk, but we all do. And and also, you know, Dann, that's the great thing. We're still all best boys and still hanging around and still talking football and get to talk about what's going on now with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: But Troy didn't socialize you with you back in the day with the cowboys.
Speaker 3: He no, Dan, that's a nice question we have asking because I appreciate your respects for Troy.
Speaker 4: An. You know, Troy never came to the White House. Did That's what you tried to get to.
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't Troy dating Sandra Buller back then?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Troy never did?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Everybody?
Speaker 3: Troy was one of them rare rares by Hey I took They'll tell you Troy. Hey, Troy came home and makking people in his house. He called the police. That's what Troy does. He was the right kind of guy.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, but wasn't he Wasn't he dating Sandra Bullock at one point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I don't. I don't remember it if it was sad a bullet, but you know, yeah, you know I didn't do that thing on Instagram or something on the social media where he said the women you did, right, he's the quarterback, was a cowboy. But you know truck with youll blonde hair, blue eyes, and boy, that's shot.
Speaker 6: You know, I won't need that at all.
Speaker 4: Try to get me in trouble there, but.
Speaker 2: You know you get you got yourself in trouble. I'm not.
Speaker 4: It's okay now, I don't really got a job right now, give me it's all good.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to your great to talk to him.
Speaker 4: I missed you too, DP, I missed you too.
Speaker 3: Man. I'm glad to see you're doing well still, my brother. You just keep pounding away.
Speaker 4: Thank you, man, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Michael Irvin won a national championship at the U in nineteen eighty seven. Wasn't he the eleventh overall pick? Just like Michael Parsons? Does that sound right? Is both the eleventh overall pick? Is Mike still there? Mike?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Were you you the eleventh?
Speaker 4: Left? I was eleven?
Speaker 3: I think what Mike did? Mike Quesson got fourteenth? Some wasn't no, he wore eleven.
Speaker 2: He wore eleven.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think because he dropped in his draft or something, and and and I told him, you don't drop to the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: You are placed to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: God, God, s now you know now this has happened.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't have left that placement. But that's what I.
Speaker 2: Told thank you, Mike, thank you. Marv Ware was Michael Parsons overall? Twelfth?
Speaker 5: Overall?
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought they were both the eleventh. All right? Are the LA Clippers in trouble? It certainly sounds like they've got some questions to answer. I think they're in trouble. The question is how much trouble. Pablo Torre has a well, he's got an explosive story investigation into Steve Balmer and circumventing the salary cap and maybe paying Kawhi Leonard off the books. Pablo joins us next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Ben, host of a Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of that Ben Mather Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will? A world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week Explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I come in today and I see the LA Clippers are trending, and I go, what first week is September? What James Harden shaved his beard? And I don't think that's why they're trending. And then I realize they're trending for batter reason. Pablo Tory. Pablo Tory finds out podcasts, Metal art media, and the Athletic Contributor. To pardon the interruption, all right, summarize your report on the Clippers. Steve Balmer and Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 8: Hello, Dan, we got to stop meeting like this. As always, it's always something when we get together. You may recall t nineteen, the NBA investigated the signing of Kawhi Leonard by the Clippers. This was the Uncle Dennis story, him asking for all the sweeteners, the side deals. This was the Lakers, the raptors, very mad, lots of teams, very mad. NBA investigates says this is a cardinal sin. Salary caps are convention, but they find nothing. Today we have given something I dare say to anybody who cares about this stuff, and the stuff here is kind of wild. This is a story that started because of a company called Aspiration, which no one really remembers in fairness, but they had signed some of the most famous people in the world to be endorsers. Leonardo DiCaprio, Drake, Robert Downey Junior, Cindy Crawford, Cindy Crawford's daughter, all people who endorsed this climate change company that planted trees to zero out your carbon footprint, like good guys, only for those same good guys to have since been embroiled in what has been a concurrent Department of Justice and SEC investigations that have resulted in guilty please by one of the co founders of the company, a prominent Democratic politician and donor named Joe Sandberg, who happens to have also been a buddy of Steve Bomber and Steve Bomber. In this story, we establish and report, using over three thousand documents and seven sources from inside the company, put in fifty million dollars of his own money into Aspiration. Very long lined up. I apologize for taking so long. Here's the punchline. The endorsement deal that was the biggest that Aspiration signed given all those A List avengers, happened to be Kawhi Leonard twenty eight million dollars, more than four times the rest of the celebrity roster combined.
Speaker 2: And the kicker, you.
Speaker 8: Might argue, is that he didn't do anything. It was a no show job, did nothing, wasn't obligated to do anything, which you can explain if you want, but the point being, it was a secret deal that no one knew about until now.
Speaker 2: NBA have anything to say.
Speaker 8: Yet, not yet, not yet, I should say, Steve Bomber and the Clippers. When we asked them for comment, they said that this was provably false, that they denied it. They did not know at the time that we had over three thousand pages of documents and seven sources. I look forward to improving the falsehoods that they allege. I can tell you though, from the NBA perspective, what I've been told this morning is that it's been a bit of panic over there. I'm told that they did not know about this deal between Steve Bomber, or at the very least between Aspiration and Kawhi Leonard. With the influence of Steve Bomber, according to our reporting, being the driving force of it. So yeah, it's going to get a little messy.
Speaker 4: Dan over there, I.
Speaker 2: Think what rule did the Clippers break?
Speaker 8: So salary caps or convention is something that the NBA has decided to in previous statements state very seriously. So Kawhi Leonard has only signed max contracts. So the first one coming off of Toronto, the extension in twenty twenty one. Is what lines up with the timeline here that we are explaining the twenty eight million dollars above and beyond the max deal he signed. He signed another extension just last year. And so the thing here is, and this is I think a bit of the character study. Steve Bomber is the richest owner in all of sports in the world. He's the sixth richest man on the planet. And so if you know anything about how the Clippers have operated, right the Intuit Dome a building, as he says, built in his own image for hardcore basketball fans like him, using personal private money, no taxpayer funds. He is a guy who's expanded his front office, hired a zillion people. Because that is uncapped, he can spend all of the money on that. But the most important thing this hardcore basketball fan needed, of course, taking over the team from noted bad guy Donald Sterling is a franchise superstar. And so the rule alleged to have been broken here is that cardinal rule. You gotta stay within the salary cap for your actual players. And seven sources say that was deliberately what was not done.
Speaker 2: But was there a way that they could They could argue that Kawhi Leonard did represent the company. He was a name that was attached Like, I'm just looking at if I'm the Clippers, how do I get deniability?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's hard. It's hard because typically, you know, there's this funny phrase in courtrooms. You hear like, you know, the absence of evidence is not evidence. Well, in this case, he was endorsing a company, and the absence of evidence is the absence of any endorsement, no tweets, no retweets, no favorites, no likes, no appearances, no nothing according to the Internet. According to the sources, we have nothing. And so the absence of evidence happens to be in this very narrow but meaningful way, the evidence. And they might say, well, Steve Bomber didn't know about this. But here is where I think all of this becomes a bit of an IQ test, because what I haven't mentioned that we get to in the story is that Aspiration was not merely some random company. Aspiration on media day of twenty twenty one, and you can go to the press conference footage and find it, they are announced as this founding sponsor of the Los Angeles Clippers. They are signage everywhere. Back of your court side seat, says Aspiration Dan. They were going to get the Jersey Patch. The company collapsed into ruin and disgrace before they got there, but that was the agreement. It was announced. They are headlines everywhere you can find them. You can see the video Steve Bomber right next to the guy who pled guilty to two counts of wire fraud just two weeks ago. So you can say, we didn't know about this, But then the IQ test is and this is another bit of reporting. Then why And this is according to the sources who are on tape, the one source we have who agreed to go on tape with voice modulation because of the federal investigations that are ongoing and concurrent in the experience. Uncle Dennis was calling as the company was declining and unable to pay its bills, was calling saying pay us. And inside of Aspiration, what is very clear is that the number one priority, that is a quote, the number one priority for this collapsing fake Green Bank, was you gotta pay Kawhi Leonard. As bankruptcy was on the horizon, as no one could pay their bills. As no one else was getting paid, Kawhi was getting paid. And the question I ask you is why was he priority number one for doing nothing at a company that could not pay its bills. It would seem that there was some influence from behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Pablo Tory, it's Pablo Tory finds out podcast, Metal Art Media and the Athletic. Was it? Joe Smith? Timberwolves? What was that five first round draft picks that they were docked? I mean, if this is all true, I got to believe that precedent has been set.
Speaker 8: He Bablo, Oh oh yeah, Look, there's a history lesson here, right, Joe Smith and Glenn Taylor. Glenn Taylor the piece of paper they wrote off the books number one overall pick, getting that side deal five picks. Glenn Taylor was suspended. Kevin McHale, the GM of the team twenty five years ago at the time, was put on leave. Fines were levied, millions of dollars were levied. But I would say that there's a difference here. And Mark Stein tweeted this out helpfully because I defer to people who've been covering this stuff even longer than me when it comes to well, how does this play out? He said, it was staggering and unprecedented what is being alleged in our reporting, And so you could argue, at least Stein argues, this is more than the Joe Smith story, right, This is actually far more sophisticated and yet stupid at the same time, given everything that I just gave a long wind up on. And look, man, Dan, you and I I love by the way that you care about the stories, because I don't know if anybody really does, with your level of prominence in your platform in that way. But how this sausage gets made behind the scenes with owners and leagues. Steve Bomber is the richest owner in all sports, and Adam Silver's boss. Right, So this is not a real justice system in the NBA. This is a business deal. They got to strike. How do you punish your own boss? What are the other bosses, the twenty nine others you have? What do they have to say about it? It's a fascinating parlor game what the punishment ends up being.
Speaker 2: And we don't know if those other owners have their own little shell game going. I don't know how in your reporting if you know you're stumbling upon other owners who you know, because people love to talk. Once the first you know person gets outed, now all of a sudden, it feels like it's safe to out other people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the difference here, and by the way, it's funny, like my tip line has never been more more used by enemies of Jalen Brunson, right, like a look into look into that one?
Speaker 2: Right as well as you know James, is there something in there with Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 8: Well, look how he arrived at the next This is where I will have to defer to the reporting I may or may not do on this certainly was interesting, right, Like, Okay, that's a pretty good deal for the next has some whatever. Anyway, I don't want to get ahead of myself in terms of it.
Speaker 2: That's a tease. That's a tease.
Speaker 8: It's a bit of a tease. Yeah, I'm showing a little ankle with you. I always show a little bit more ankle than I should. But but by the way, subscribe, like subscribe.
Speaker 4: But but the thing.
Speaker 8: About how often this happens, it's a really fascinating question, because I would argue that it doesn't happen to this scale and with this level of documentation, which is only enabled because of the collapse of this fraudulent company. The other stuff look historically right, I was. I was assuming because I'm maybe dumb, like you would give a stock tip or something right like have someone else, you know, se multiple degrees away. You wouldn't do it through a company that has its signage on your building. But that's what our sources say is exactly the thing that happened. And so in that way, kind of of its own. As as Stein was alluding.
Speaker 2: To, good to talk to you again. I'll talk to you with the Jalen Brunson story. Whenever that comes out, Pablo, You'll you'll get you'll get some kneecaff. Thank you that level. Yeah, it might be moving to thigh after that, Thank you, Pablo. Pablo. Pablo Tory finds out podcast Metal Arc media and the athletic and contributor to pardon the interruption, the NBA, you know, probably thought it was gonna be a quiet day, quiet week. Hey, nothing going on, football season. Hey, let's get our fantasy draft going on. Come on, commiss you're gonna be in our fantasy league. No, no, wait a minute, what's Pablo Tori report? Okay, well, we'll do our fantasy draft later. Let's let's circle the wagons here. A lot of sources, a lot of that's where you have three thousand pages because you know the Clippers might have reacted where it's you know, if Pablo calls up to get a comment and they go, you know that that story is not true. We don't have any comment on stories that aren't true. Well, we have three thousand pages of documents. We will issue a statement.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: Come here. We still don't have any comment, but we will issue a statement.
Speaker 9: Yes, the NBA has lots of rules printed and otherwise that you can't gift a player like a percentage of the franchise or equity, either now or in the future for players, but people always like, you know, they should just give blank Lebron or steph three percent of the franchise. You can't do that. There's many rules against this type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Man, Sure, I'd love to. Now if you could interview Steve Balmer, or you could interview Kawhi, or interview Adam Silver, the commissioner, I would have to interview Steve Balmer. Kahi is not going to tell you anything. I mean, even when he's in a good mood, he's not really telling anything. Great laugh, but that's about it. Adam Silver, I don't know what he would say. Steve Ballmer, you could ask questions and say, how did we get to this point?
Speaker 4: Steve?
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, because if you interview Kawhi, why isn't we like man, my uncle danis set it up. I just said, all right. It seems like it's very cut and dry where I don't handle any of this. It's almost like the show Entourage. Hey, you want to talk to visit Chase, Now, talk to E talk to Ari. I'm just a movie.
Speaker 2: Star, Yes, Tom.
Speaker 4: Adam Silm is very engaging with you, but ultimately hit up.
Speaker 11: They've got to drop to commissioner's beak and really be careful and chooses words, Giff, especially if there's.
Speaker 2: An ongoing any response from the NBA. We have not heard Okay, Yeah, probably not going to hear the Clippers. Yeah, probably not going to hear anything. All right, last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow, This day in sports history, all of that coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live show.
Speaker 2: Hey Otani hit his one hundredth home run as a Dodger. It was a loss to the Pirates. He reached one hundred home runs in two hundred and ninety four games, beating the franchise record of three ninety nine by Gary Sheffield. Only two players have reached one hundred home runs with a single team faster than Otani did with the Dodgers, Mark McGuire, and that was with the Cardinals, Babe Ruth with the Yankees. Stat of the Day brought to you by the great folks at Benini, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. My guy Nolan McClain. Once again he's rolling for the Mets. He is the first pitcher to win his first four career starts while allowing two runs or less in each start since two thousand and six, Jared Weaver did so for the Angels. All right, last call for phone call? Yes, well, it's a funny thing.
Speaker 9: You've been mentioning your guy Nolan McLain around the hallways, and whenever you do it, we do the bad guy from Diehard, mister McClain, Miss week, I'll just do that under our breath, mister McLean.
Speaker 2: No compliance, Shoot the glass, hands, shoot the glass.
Speaker 4: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Curtis in Illinois, Hi, Curtis, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: More DP A couple quick things story this morning. First, I think that caller earlier maybe a little overzealous on the same success considering they have the team version of Patrick Mahomes at quarterback. And then second is how can the Packers have Mica passive physical while he has a back issue that may require him to have an epidural on Sunday? Like, would there be any verbiage in his contract for any kind of pre existing injury that would nullify any of his guarantees?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm you know. I think leading up to it, nobody was really adding credence to this back injury. It's like, oh, okay, wink wink, he's got a back injury. Therefore he can't practice. Now, all of a sudden, you hear that he might need an epidural. Sounds a little more serious to me, but I don't know what the You know, the packers don't want to, you know, avoid this deal, but I don't know if it has any impact on this contract. But thank you, Curtis Sean in Daytona Beach. Hi, Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 5: Thanks for calling me back six foot one point eighty five point two this morning. Okay, great stuff this morning, especially when you catch up with the playmaker. And speaking of that, you know, we're on the eve of the NFL season. Fans want hope, and they think you are talking trash on their teams. But we are also damned on the eve of the eve of the first meat Friday of the NFL season. And I wouldn't damn if you're going to stand around and talk crap on mayo and onions. I want some potatoes out, I want some coleslaw. I don't know what Chef Dylan has on the menu, but Polly backed me up. That is classic tailgate paper plate. Stup, Dan, you can't be talking it meat Friday as a team game.
Speaker 6: It's about the sides.
Speaker 2: We all play together here.
Speaker 5: It's not just about the meat.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sean. I'll take that under advisement.
Speaker 9: Yes, Paul, coleslaw is polarizing. People throw that topic out there and people get heated on either side. There there's no middle ground on coleslaw.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even if you take the mayo out, it doesn't matter. I don't want it.
Speaker 9: It ceases to to be coleslack.
Speaker 2: Well, Dylan said, I made you some cole sloan without mayonnaise. Yeah, guest, what.
Speaker 11: About macaroni souad?
Speaker 4: That's always fun. I know that's.
Speaker 2: Also potato salad. Macaroni salad. No, they're they're in the same family. No, the answer is no.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: John in Minnesota, Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Take my call? You gotta go to Porkys in Memphis. You'll like their cold flock. Okay, sod You guys like the current state of college football because, like, for instance, Alabama just lost, but it's like who cares? Like you didn't beat a Derrick Henry Alabama with Nick Saban, Like I just like it's the wild Wow. Last it's just chaos a couple of years.
Speaker 2: There's nothing I can do about it. Okay, I've tried to be a lifeguard for college football and it doesn't matter. I've tried to give even current coaches or one retired coach I heads up on exactly what was happening, and nobody. These coaches did not believe me years ago and I said, man, they're going to be spending money. And then once again this is now a retired coach who said, oh yeah, were they gonna give the alignment pizza? And I said, you you should know, like they're gonna build their offensive and defensive lines. But if you don't have salary camps, there's still gonna be people getting paid illegally nil all of that. It's big business. That's what you always have to come back to. This is not the purity, the sanctity, the pomp and circumstance of college football. It is business traded as such. Yeah.
Speaker 13: See, the thing that I don't understand is funny, Like I think people were just always going to react negatively to whatever happened in college athletics because of this. But the initial reaction to NIL was well, the rich are just going to keep getting richer, and now little schools never have a chance. And now what we're here seeing is, well, what the heck, Alabama's not even good anymore. And I also thinks we got to get rid of this. It's the exact opposite of what everybody was worried about leading into it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, ro I, now great, We're never going to be able to compete with Alabama now their pockets are too deep. And instead what happened is the little schools actually do have more of a chance now. And people don't like that either, Sali, Which is it?
Speaker 2: It's in the eye of the beholders, open to interpretation of Hey, I love it because I am an Arizona State fan or a Boise State fan, then you probably love today's of college football. The blue bloods are like, wait a minute here, I thought we had the unfair advantage. What's wrong with this sport? We're supposed to be, you know, getting all of these players. I mean, keep in mind Oklahoma, Nebraska, they would over recruit so these other you know, quarterbacks and running backs and wide receivers, defensive linemen didn't go to other schools.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: See, yeah, I forget who it was that said it, but it might have been somebody that we had on the show. But they were talking about how the problem is that these other schools like the Alabama's and the Power of House schools just aren't as deep as they were because kids are getting money and going to actually play real minutes at other schools rather than sitting behind for two, you know, a year or two behind. Well, I got Dereck Henry ahead of me, and then I got so and so, but then in you know, a year or two, it's going to be my turn. Instead, they could just take a million dollars and go play somewhere else right now.
Speaker 2: Well, the you had like three or four running backs that we're all going to play in the NFL, and they're like jets lined up at LAX ready to take off, and they got to wait their turn. Now it's like, uh, I'm out of here? What Yeah? Yeah, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 10: My favorite thing about Alabama during the Nick Saving years was, Hey, Alvin Kamier your fifth string You're not going to play Alvin Kamire is your fifth string guy? Or even like Roocher's talking about the you Frank Gore couldn't get on the field until his senior year, cause you just had Clinton Portis and Willis mcgahey and j Davenport.
Speaker 2: Ahead of them. You know, I know, Ah, the old days. Darn it, oh miss we missed the old days. Tomorrow the fifth Annual Hot Take Draft.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Wow, we got to bring back some hot takes from a year ago. Now, these are things that are in the realm of possibilities, but it's it's pretty wild though. We make some you know, the hotter the take, the better, the better the content. We do have the hot take now chain that we'll be bringing out. That's back my Seaton's desk. This day in sports history, Haull.
Speaker 9: Just a couple for you, Dan. Eighteen ninety five, the first pro football game played in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. The Latrobe YMCA took it to Jeannette Athletic Club twelve zero. Jeanette disbanded after that year out of embarrassment.
Speaker 2: They could even show their faces embarrassing.
Speaker 9: Nineteen seventy Vince Lombardi died of cancer at only age fifty seven. I did not realize he was that young. Wow, that kind of hits you. Two thousand and one, Bud Smith of the Cardinals, the sixteenth pageor league rookie to throw a no hitter. It was only his eleventh career start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that doing Sports Center? All right, it was a fun show, quick show. Crammed a lot in there, Ross Tucker, Ron Jaworski on the program tomorrow. Uh, Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 11: On a populatory story that Kawhi got a no show drop from Steve Baumber to circumvent the NBA side cap. You suggest he already has that job no showing on the court for the Clippers slam Seaton?
Speaker 2: What did you learn today? Plot is putting in work? Yes he is, Yes he is. That's where it's like, you know, it used to be of sixty minutes in Mike Wallace. Now it's Pablo Torre. It's like he's doing a deep dive. Marvin Jalen Probably show the Knicks, Paul, what did you learn today?
Speaker 9: Is he day unexpectedly at the NBA offices?
Speaker 2: How about you? Todd? Can you tell me what I learned today?
Speaker 11: You know what we all learned? DraftKings is not working on ghost led promotion, Dylan. Where if you miss your parlay by just one you can recoup some Money.
Speaker 2: Nice the Gambling Podcast. We're gonna tape that after the show today because Dylan wants to go to the Eagles game tomorrow, so we'll do that today. Shane, Irving, Bad, Larry, and Dylan. Thanks for joining us. We'll try to do better tomorrow.