Speaker 1: Welcome in, Welcome back, another episode of Texan's Huddle. I am indeed here is Drew and the player of the game, player of the week, player of the month, depending on the position in the side of the ball. Kimie Fairbaren is joining us here in Texan Huddle. Typically as a former defensive lineman, we don't get a chance to really talk to special teamers, the kickers and stuff. But man, what you've done here, what you've been doing, it is pretty impressive. And welcome to Texans Huddle and congratulations on the success.
Speaker 2: Pleasure for all that. Yeah, happy to be here this squad.
Speaker 1: I will say that I've always wanted to ask this question to kickers. What's going through the mind? What's going through your mind? You just came off of the game winning field goal. What's the thought process before you swing that leg before?
Speaker 2: I've learned that simple thoughts are best.
Speaker 3: You know, when you try to clutter your mind with a lot of things, it kind of makes things messy. So the routine of it, you know, building that through pract this, through the season, through the off season, all that controlling your thought and eliminating distractions, things that don't matter, you know, situation you know, the period of the game, whatever it may be, and just focusing. You know, for me, it's my breath and like connecting to the ground my feet.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of feel. For me, it's less about thought.
Speaker 3: More about feel and then you just let it rip, you know, just trust and know and let it rip.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting, you know, to be like one with the ground. That sounds pretty cool. Like do you do you practice that? You know what you're saying. Do you practice the breathing? Do you practice the thought process during the week?
Speaker 3: Absolutely after a certain period, Like for me, it's less about technique. I do practice all my technique obviously it's important part. But after that then it becomes you know, mental. You know, kicking is one hundred percent mental to me. After you know, it's similar to the golf, like you have your swing and now you just have to trust your swing. So being able to connect to my breath, connect to the ground and repeat the feels of success in my head. That's that's how I kind of try to operate.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a peaceful process there for Kayami Fairbairn, and it really is on the way up. But I was at about the fifteen yard line on the textan sideline and I had my phone out.
Speaker 5: I was focused just on you.
Speaker 4: I didn't even like follow the ball, but it was interesting to watch, and I stayed I didn't look.
Speaker 5: I didn't see what was going on.
Speaker 4: You kick it, you kind of watch, and then you sort of stroll off towards the sideline. You take off your helmet, throw it on the ground and flex and the place goes at least that sideline goes bananas. The crowd goes pretty quiet there in Tennessee. What what was the was the emotion? How good did it feel? What do you remember after after it left your foot?
Speaker 2: There wasn't a lot of thoughts after.
Speaker 3: It was all in that moment of the kick, and then honestly, it was just like just emotion after that. My favorite part of that whole thing. And it's like, because I've had game winners before, but watching other kickers and go through game winners, it's the I mean, obviously it's the guys on the field, but the sideline, that's what I love. I like watching that seeing how the team like kind of just comes together, especially in a way environment, that.
Speaker 2: Is what I love. So I wish I would have you know, hugged Cam a little bit more. Those guys like those guys are it's such a thankless job.
Speaker 3: Weeks and all those guys like blocking, like that's such a thankless job. So first, you know, thank them, and then to the sideline is just like the brothers. You know, it's you know, and the happiness that everybody had and the relief and all that. So that's my favorite part about hitting game winners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how much of that joy that was in there? How much of that was being gone for so long? And I kind of talked about this with you after the game in the locker room, but man, how much did that factor into it? Because you had to watch from the sidelines and you know, this is a fun season.
Speaker 2: Oh no doubt.
Speaker 5: We'll get till that later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was tough watching, but you know, when things aren't going your way, you appreciate a little bit more when you're out. And going back further from that, you know, our last few years haven't been easy, so you know, having these you call it stress of you know, a big games and you know, meaningful games, is like you enjoy that stress because you know what it's like to not have that, you know, in December Games. It doesn't mean anything. We've had those those years and it's go through the motions.
Speaker 2: But now it's different and there's there's meaning behind it, and it it makes it more special for sure.
Speaker 6: When do you know it's good?
Speaker 1: Like this last kid we'll focus on that, is that as soon as it's off the foot, like do you know like, oh that's going through?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much immediately when I when I hit it. But honestly, before that, you know, like you in those type of situations, you can't wish the ball in.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to you have to know.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I've learned that through experience with missing and making So it's just part of the process.
Speaker 1: So you say before are you saying, like, before you actually make contact, you're like, I know this was going in or.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's just a mental mind set.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when I hit the ball, then yeah, then it's like that one came off good.
Speaker 6: Oh nice, and it's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But before I forget because VanderMeer told me to ask you how your golf swing or how golf helps you as a kicker.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're the best golfer on the team right now.
Speaker 3: Right, I would say case probably. We haven't really had a matchup. We his handicaps better than mine and he's got a few more. Uh, he's got some cool hookups. You knows some good courses, so that was important too. So I you know he's I hope to play to him in the offseason.
Speaker 2: We know we keep it light.
Speaker 3: But it's fun for my golf skin. Compared to my kicking swing, well, the motion.
Speaker 2: Is just the same. The technique, Uh, there's.
Speaker 3: A lot more aspects of golf where you have to be locked in, like you're trying to hit yardages in golf, where kicking you're just hitting you know.
Speaker 2: Your best ball. So that's a little bit different.
Speaker 3: But when you're getting into the game, it's like, you know, when you're on a golf course, you need to hit a shot, You need to turn on that switch or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: You need to hit a putt, a chip. That's important.
Speaker 3: It's like, how do you develop that that on switch, that focus switch. And that's what I try to do on the golf course to practice in the offseason and then take it to the field.
Speaker 2: I guess you.
Speaker 4: Grew up your hell of a soccer player growing up in Hawaii. You pick up football there in high school, I believe when did golf come into the game into the picture.
Speaker 2: I was on the golf my senior year.
Speaker 5: Okay, so high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't serious. It was just kind of you.
Speaker 5: Get out of school for the day, right exactly.
Speaker 2: And you get to hang out on a golf course with the boys.
Speaker 3: After that, you know, my dad got me a set, a decent set in college, and then right when I got into the league, I knew that was kind of something I wanted to pursue. So I spent a lot of money on some golf clubes, probably too much. Should have got some lessons.
Speaker 4: Andy, and I have heard this from a few of your counterparts have been on the show, that the golf bug bit them, and so.
Speaker 2: You keep going absolutely bit me.
Speaker 3: And then, yeah, I spent a lot of time wildcat over here, you know, asking certain guys on the team who've been good, Brandon Whedon, Shane Leckler, all those guys who've been playing for a long time, watching them ball out and swing the club.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's just kind of been something I've continued to learn.
Speaker 6: Did you take lessons?
Speaker 2: I did? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do that like when you take these lessons it is kind of similar to being coached up on out to kick in the right form or is a completely different because everybody who I talked to who's really into golf, I'm not because I'm horrible at it. It took me one day to realize this isn't your thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: They just talked about how such a different approach and different sport.
Speaker 2: But yeah, to say this, like for golf, it's like.
Speaker 3: You're not naturally good at golf. No one is, or at least I haven't met someone that is. So to me, that's my favorite part. It's like the only way to get better is you've got to put in the time, and you do. But with a golf coach, to me, it's like they if you don't have a golf coach, you're kind of in the dark and you're just searching for something. And when you have a golf coach, he kind of he shows you, brings light to certain things of what you need to focus on, what your tendencies are.
Speaker 2: So that's helped a lot for me.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to kicking because I played with one of the greats. I don't know if you remember the name David Akers. He was a kicker with me in Philadelphia, and when it was time for him to attempt a game winning kick or any kick, we always stayed away from Like is that something? And I can't remember if he put it out there, but we just knew, like, you know what, don't go say hey, you got this or we're with you no matter what, we just stayed away. Is that something that's common in the world of kickers, or do you kind of put it out there like, hey, y'all don't talk to me before the kick.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've never had that conversation with anybody about stay away from me, but I guess they probably know that by the way things have gone, I've naturally just kind of not isolated, but kind of got in my little.
Speaker 2: Bubble, I guess of bubble of focus.
Speaker 3: And you know, if someone did come up to me, you know, Frank or Cam or Weeks or trainer or whatever it is, it's just, you know, you don't resist those things. You know, whatever is happening is happening, and then you kind of welcome whatever comes. And then if if it distracts you come back. You know, it's it's just whatever. I don't try to force anything that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes I mean think about it, talk with Kayami Fairbir and the Kicker of the Tech. You don't have any teammates that do what you do. I mean you have specialists, but Cam Johnston's job is not what you do, and vice versa and John Weeks and you guys hang out together. But there are other defensive linemen, there are other quarterbacks, there are other running backs. That kind of plays into it a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: When you say yeah, yeah, I think everybody has their own specific focus of, you know, how to be good at their job. Minds is different than a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they respect my process and that's my process and go from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what goes first for kickers, Like as a defensive lineman year ten to eleven started to fill it in my knees, Like when do kickers start to feel like, you know what, this is starting to catch up?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I've had my quad thing the last five weeks and that kind of crept up on me somehow.
Speaker 2: Is kind of like a freak thing. But you know, as part of the job. I guess for kickers, I think it's just a repeated motion over and over and over. And over again.
Speaker 3: So just maintaining balance in my body, not getting too one sided.
Speaker 2: That's been a key for me.
Speaker 4: When you played soccer, were you the guy that would do the corner kicks? Were you the guy that would do the penalty kicks? Did it kind of vary? They have a bunch of people doing those things, or we would play stop or they're like kiny go or was it not that way?
Speaker 3: No, that was usually how it went. Free kicks, penalties, corners.
Speaker 2: I don't know how that started.
Speaker 3: I just like doing it, and I could kick the ball well, kind of put it where I needed it to, and yeah, I think that's where it started. And then kicking just kind of became Oh it sounds like something I would do. And I had a good coach in high school who kind of taught me the you know, the technique and then and then the mindset behind that.
Speaker 1: Are there more guys that you played soccer with that also played football as kickers, because I know a lot of kickers played soccer, but I'm actually surprised more soccer players, you know, don't gravitate too me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it surprises me too.
Speaker 3: Back home in Hawaii, No, there wasn't a lot of guys who just kind of picked it up. We everyone played other positions to receiver dB whatever it is. If you go from soccer to football and you're just the kicker, it's very different because you're just I mean, you maybe got twenty five seconds of game time, so it's just it's a different game, and I think that probably what kept a lot of soccer players from doing that job.
Speaker 6: Are you a big soccer fan now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: MLS or the Premiere Premier League?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's your team?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Who's your squad?
Speaker 2: Arsenal Arsenal go gunners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's your current favorite soccer player all time? Favorite soccer player.
Speaker 2: All time would be Tierryan Ree, no doubt. All right, all right, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's who kind of brought the love to me showing his swag right now. I mean, you can't not love Messi and what he's done. Who do I enjoy watching though, that's tough. The Premier League has been great. I really like watching Mosala Liverpool even though he's on a rival team. He's he's excellent and then City have been great. So there's a lot of good players, a lot of good teams.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we as a country have not embraced soccer or football as the you know.
Speaker 6: Like the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I think it's coming. We're showing that. But I just think it's okay to be different. We have different loves here, you know, football, baseball, basketball, and that's okay, and you know, we we strive at that and we excel at that, and the world.
Speaker 1: Has well we're literally the only country and my parents are from Nigeria, so I grew up playing soccer. But America the greatest country in the world, but it's literally the only country that doesn't give soccer the respect to the rest of the world. Like, what's Europe and you played it, you excel at it. I need a better answer than that. What's the reason why we haven't embraced the sport of soccer like the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: Might be the flopping out of the soft Yeah it annoys me too. I'm not gonna lie, but yeah, I just love the game. It's it's the freedom of it, the creativity. You know, everyone's on the ball.
Speaker 2: It's cool sports.
Speaker 1: You know, speak over real quick. Speaking of the flopping, I heard this is that you played at a higher level. Maybe you'll know the answer. I heard that the reason they flop is because there's no real time out, so that's the only time you can get a rest.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a lot of part of the gamesmanship of it. It's beyond just flopping. It's like stalling the game, annoying the team, whatever, it is, like wasting time. Yeah, it's it's all part of the game. I wish the rest managed it a little bit better, like there is more you know, consequence for flopping, and then that could probably get it out a little bit more.
Speaker 5: But it's growing though soccer it's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not what some of the other sports are, but there is no doubt that it's growing. I mean, look at Saturday mornings, you can watch Premier League on you know, so many different devices, basically every one of the big league's Spain, Italy, Germany. They there's places you can find him to watch that didn't exist fifteen years ago in this country. I mean, that was hard to do.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna hold on, hold on.
Speaker 4: And then in addition to that, so I played soccer here in Houston in the eighties and one of my best friend's dads got volun told to coach it and this guy knew how to teach hand placement, how to block as an offensive lineman. He didn't know much about soccer. You know what we did, he said, boys, get in a line, and so we lined up single file. He got a soccer ball, he knelt down, he used his foot as a tee and he said, I want you to run and kick this ball as far as you can and then run to the fence line and back. And that's that was our soccer. Whereas I've got boys, wow, a ten year old and eight year old, and they went out and they played soccer pretty competitively for you know, one of the club teams and they were like six teams per level of age group. And they're passing, they're doing all that like it's super advanced. That's just one little club in Houston. And there's many many clubs in Houston, no telling how many more are in the state, in the country. That was not going on twenty five thirty years ago. So it's growing, but trust me, it's just growing a little slower than what you're accustomed to.
Speaker 1: It may be growing on the little league level because I'm older than you and we actually had good soccer coaches growing up but I just feel like once you got to a certain age, it was like, Okay, I've done soccer and now let me quote move on to the quote unquote real sport. But the reason I asked, I actually went to a game here at NRG and it was awesome, Like it was amazing, And the whole time I'm there and I'm like, why isn't this bigger? Why isn't it bigger?
Speaker 4: I just feel like this didn't exist, Like people didn't go to soccer games twenty years ago, thirty years ago in the States in Houston.
Speaker 6: Well, they didn't have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: But I I don't see our best athletes still playing. Look at Kaymi, he said, you know what' screw soccer. I'm gonna play football. And he's a football star now. So and you know, I say.
Speaker 2: A great as.
Speaker 1: I actually would, but uh, and I get what you're saying, Drew, But it just feels like.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying We're gonna win the World Cup next summer. I'm just saying it. It is undeniable in this country. Soccer is getting more popular. I'm not saying it's overtaking anything. I'm just saying it's getting more popular and always.
Speaker 1: Say the games athletes choosing soccer over basketball.
Speaker 5: I think so. I think so.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say the best ones are necessarily, but I here and there.
Speaker 5: I think it's growing. But anyways, I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: Man, we're er en off course because you've got Kayeni Fairbarn here. Kaymie, You're unless something weird happens. You are probably the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week, deservedly so. Four field goals, two of them beyond fifty the game winner. How sweet has this season been? You alluded to it earlier, and let's just kind of rewind and reset for everyone. You got here in twenty sixteen, and you saw you sat for that year, you're you're uh, you're on injured reserve, and then you've now seeing three different quarterbacks get drafted here and play. You were on some playoff teams, you led the NFL and scoring in twenty eighteen, went to the playoffs then and then you mentioned the dark times over the last three years. How rejuvenating is twenty twenty three for you?
Speaker 2: Man? Yeah, I think you find your love when it's not going well.
Speaker 6: You know why?
Speaker 2: You know, if you're not winning, what do you love? About it, and.
Speaker 3: That's what that period of you know, those three years showed me. But the energy we have here is.
Speaker 2: Special, and you feel that in the brotherhood and you know, coaches and everything, the whole stadium. You know, it's it's just even the city.
Speaker 3: You know, the fans like people coming back and you know, showing love. It's you feel that energy, and I think you just got to let it grow. We got a lot of good people here and that's where it starts. Good people and coming together and working hard and then just let will be will be. You know, see where it goes, see where it takes us.
Speaker 1: Is there a different mindset when and you're kicking for you know, a team that's still in the hunt versus a team that you know is out of the playoff? Pitcher like, is there a different mindset or you keep the same mindset.
Speaker 2: I try not to. I try to not let it affect me in years past.
Speaker 3: You know, if we're winning or losing in the game, that's the kind of stuff where the situation doesn't matter. You know, a pH at the end of the game, when you're up by fifty, you know you still have to focus in locking and make that kick or vice versa.
Speaker 2: If you're losing, so I try to let that bother me.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up pats. We're seeing more missed pat's. Is it as simple as because they moved it back? When did they do that about four or five years ago?
Speaker 6: Or yeah? Yeah? Is it as simple because when I got right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, give me your take on that, because you know, back when I played in the late nineties early two thousands, pat was just like a foregone conclusion. Do you like the fact that they made it more challenging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was good for the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Before it was just I mean, the guys at this level, they're you're just not kind of miss that. So having to turn on that switch, like I said, and pats, they matter, especially, you know if it's you're We had that situation this past weekend where we scored late and we needed to tie the game.
Speaker 2: That thirty three.
Speaker 3: Now becomes a little bit more pressure. And when you're on the practice field alone, it's like, thirty three, how do I this looks close? And then you get to the game, it's like, oh, that looks a little farther right now. But that's just you know, just just thoughts and yeah, like I said, get back to your routine and make the kick.
Speaker 4: And hell, it paid off for the Texas because what they do, what the Titans do on the very first drive of the game, they score the touchdown and they missed the pat So you you guys were tied at the end of the game and you go in overtime that every point matters. Like we say, Case, Keenum, that's your ping pong partner, right, it's my boy. What how fierce are these ping pong because I've seen glimpses of them when we come to the locker room to interview you guys after practices sometimes, Yeah, those.
Speaker 3: Might be one of my favorite times of the week, no doubt. We we have our own We got lyft and all this stuff, so we try to squeeze it in when we can. There's a lot of always media getting in our way when so we give them a little entertainment. But Case is probably the best pingle player I ever played. So we've had some heated battles.
Speaker 4: And I've seen you, uh seen you messing around with Titus Howard. Also, he's pretty good teys, all right, you can take him.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have a backhand. So it's just I mean, you can play around, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I gotta get y'all's perspectives because you're you're both will have perspective on it. So you've been here, and I'm sure ping pong tables have been here and then been taken away quietly. And I'm guessing was there ever a ping pong table in your career in Washington Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's definitely one, but it just collected dust. It was all about the Xbox and PlayStation. I don't play any of those. I'm more there domino guy, but uh we the only time we did ping pong was during training camp at Lehigh University and Koy Detmer backup quarterback was by are the best ping pong player.
Speaker 4: So all the skill guys excuse me, the specialist in the quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's usually how it goes. Where is it now? Where is it now?
Speaker 2: The ping pong take the middle of our locker room, really center court. Yep.
Speaker 6: You don't have to set it up every day and or is it.
Speaker 3: Just it's there and then obviously when the games come around in the weekend, we'll take it out.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's pretty much pretty much permanent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we definitely did not have it.
Speaker 4: I've always found it fascinating because I don't think it matters. But you'll see sometimes coaches just yank it out and say like not say, but like this, we've got to get focused back on football, and then you know a few years later creeps back in. You know, what's your what's your thought on that?
Speaker 3: Oh good question, my mindset behind it. I always welcome competition. I think that's good wherever you may find it. It just creates that, you know, and then plus on top of that, I think it's a great warm up moving your feet, And I like, why wouldn't you want that kind of skill? You know, something you work on every day? How can that not translate to you know, we got old linemen playing like Titus, Jimmy, like all these guys. Davis plays, you know, all the receivers. So to me, it's just why not obviously keep the main thing the main thing?
Speaker 2: Two the things you gotta do.
Speaker 3: You gotta take care of responsibilities before you can have fun. But you know, hopefully we got the right guys in the building who are doing that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he won't say because he's I can say it if a coach does that, he's lost the team if he's taking away a ping pong table. Let's say you have a three game losing streak, and if some boneheaded coach and I'm taking away the ping pong table, in my opinion, you've lost the team, because, just like Connie said, it's a way to bond if you have players that are saying to themselves, you know what, I don't think I'm gonna study the playbook. I'm just gonna go play ping pong. You have the wrong player anyway. So it just feels like a drastic move where grown men who love the sport more, if not, you know, as much, if not more than the actual coaches. They don't need to be punished because they're losing. That's more of a high school move. If anybody did that when I was in the NFL, I would have lost respect for them as a coach.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing when Parcels took over the Cowboys. You know, all that stuff was gone, it was before games started and everything. But remember that was a story. All the ping pong tables are going. It's like, okay, yeah, whatever is that why.
Speaker 1: They lost years ago? And I know Parcels is a great, coach, Sure, that's I just now. I would think that most of the team would say he's lost us.
Speaker 5: Gotcha?
Speaker 4: All right? So with all that in mind, what's next for you guys? You get three games left? This is a massive, massive showdown Cleveland Browns. Before the season, you think, well, I don't know what what's gonna what they're gonna look like. You know, they are a game above the Texans and the standings. There's a lot to play for both sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, Yeah, great question.
Speaker 3: I think that focus comes in, you know, continuing to do what we've been doing like every week. It's been important and I want to say we're getting used to that. But it's like, okay, you know, that's that's reload, you know, and this is another big week. We got a lot of guys were turning from injury, so it's time to get back to work. And you know, coach and all our coaches have depend great about resetting us mentally. You know, whether it's the low of last week coming off the Jets game, or the high this week of coming off the win. It's like, Okay, get back to us and let's get back to work.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. I've always wondered, but never asked. This is what I love about being on this side of the mic. Now now the plain days are over with kickers and punters, but I'm gonna focus on kicking. Do you watch film on the approach of the defense, like how they're going to try to block it? Or does that like you talked about, does that give you too much to think about? Do you focus just on what you're doing? But do you ever watch film on the opponent?
Speaker 2: Talking about the.
Speaker 6: Field goal blog? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah I don't.
Speaker 3: I think if I do my job and us as an operation do our job.
Speaker 6: Then it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It really doesn't matter. And if they do sneak in somehow and something happens, then you know, move on to the next kick. So that's just part of the game. You can't be perfect, know what he is and just live with that.
Speaker 1: So with that being said, and that's cool to know. I just always wondered, do you watch film on yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Technique wise, I usually go back to, like I said earlier, the feels of things I was feeling, you know, mentally, where was my thoughts If I was a little distracted, you know, like maybe I was thinking about the wind or something and not hitting my true ball. That's the kind of stuff I try to reflect on.
Speaker 6: All Right, we're gonna take a quick time out. Don't touch that.
Speaker 1: Dow the player of the week, player of the month sitting right next to us here in Texans Huddle. We'll be right back. Welcome in. Welcome back, Texans Huddle. I'm Indy Kalu. He is Drew Doherty, Kamie Fairbarn joining us here in the Texan Huddle. Second segment. Enjoyed the conversation. Let me, I'm sure they ask you this all the time, and again with my background being of Niger in descent, first generation, our names are important. You know, our names mean a lot to us. So first and forgive me, because again I'm sure you've been asked this million times. Can you say your a name and its entirety and then kind of talk about the importance of your culture of places behind their names.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, of course. So my whole name is John Christian and that was given to me.
Speaker 6: That is so awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a mouth fault.
Speaker 3: Truthfully, I didn't learn how to spell it till like seven or eighth grade, so got to sound it out.
Speaker 2: Here and there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that name, I don't ever remember learning it. It's always just I've always just known how to say it. And it was cool for me kind of the turn the page a little bit of like giving a name to my son and the meaning that goes behind it. And it's like in the Hawaiian culture, it's it's who you are, you know, and the meaning of it, and you know it comes from your family. They kind of give you this name and it's like a gift. And to me it's kind of like I've strived to live by it a little bit, yeah, to get all deep and stuff, but yeah, to see and give it to my son, it's it's been a cool process of like just going to that next level of thinking about what you want for somebody. And it's not like a fortune teller or a fortune cookie or whatever it is. It's just like a feeling that I had for him. And I'm becoming a parent and all that stuff. Like I'm really thankful for my parents and my family and what they what they gave to me.
Speaker 6: That is awesome.
Speaker 1: So when you had your son, and congratulations on the young man. So like in my culture, you're supposed to name your firstborn after your father. So all the firstborn sons are named that after their grandfather, which you you said, it's more of a feeling, it's what you want. Are there any rules or guidelines that you're supposed to follow, like familiar rules through the family or how does that work?
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: They talk about like dreams and stuff. When you have dreams about your your son or your daughter, whatever it is, and it's like the.
Speaker 2: I guess you know, the gods of Hawaiian gods or god.
Speaker 3: Whichever you believe, whatever you whatever religion you believed in, it's like they're telling you, they're giving you a glimpse of sight into what you want your what they want for your kid. And it's almost like a curse not to pass that on to him or to her. So yeah, just kind of going through that process, it was it was cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was learning from my family, my aunties, my uncle's back home, and kind of picking their brain about how to go about it. It was special.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Kaini, what does your full name, your full name mean, and what does your son's full name mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So mine Emi means to seek and my mom loved that name and she just didn't want me to seek anything.
Speaker 2: You know, you can. You can search for something and get lost, you know.
Speaker 3: So the whole name means to seek wisdom and talents with knowledge on a firm foundation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just take that and I tried to live by that.
Speaker 3: And then my son is Kukuila kila oma Khalie, and it means strong, poised and standing tall with with with humility, guided by peace and openness.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, well I saw I saw his young son when he was about seven eight months old at training camp, and he was always upright and he had nice chubby cheeks.
Speaker 5: He looks healthy man, well fed, well fed.
Speaker 4: Hey, so turn about his fair play. We've we heard his and I heard Rick Smith one time when you and I were doing something about fifteen years ago. He called you by by what I think is your first name, but n D Kalue, that's not your lose your initials for your your first name?
Speaker 5: What is your name kyl okay? And what's what's the meaning of that?
Speaker 6: Long life? Prosperity will come all right?
Speaker 1: And the last name is warrior of thunder, So you know, similar to Kyamie.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of you don't play with your names.
Speaker 4: And the.
Speaker 1: Only reason we go by n D is obviously you don't want to lose your your culture, your tradition when you move over to the States. But at the same time, you have to understand when growing up. It's funny when I was in elementary and they do role call the beginning of the year and you have a new teacher. She'll be saying everyone's name this, She'll pause, then all my friends will be like, oh, it must be your term for your name. So you know, when you see all that, it's kind of tough for people.
Speaker 5: But when you're around the house, what would your parents call you?
Speaker 1: You know they actually not because they were watering it down. But even in Nigeria they call you n D. And the reason do that is every boy is named after the father's father. So my grandfather had eight sons, so all of his sons are named after him. So when you're all in the village together, you have to know who you're talking to. So n D is induquate DK. DK is my dad's name. Then my cousin he's Indu, which is his father's name. So that's how you kind of know the difference. So that they so they did call me nd just so.
Speaker 5: You know, like, would your brother?
Speaker 1: Uh so if I had a brother, I have two sisters, who is that that's my cousin?
Speaker 5: What would he go?
Speaker 6: Or M?
Speaker 1: So they'll say or an E or you know, they'll say something yes, just to kind of make sure you know who you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Remember Rick saying he called him?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, he said the government name is to say yeah, yeah, but that's very cool. And I've I've played with some guys from Hawaii and I've always known that it was special. You know, it wasn't just like, oh, I'm going to name them red because that's my favorite car. So that's pretty cool. All right, Back back to the sport of football. You know, three games is three or four games left?
Speaker 6: Game?
Speaker 1: Three games left? How tough is it not to do the whole standing?
Speaker 6: Watch?
Speaker 1: Like do you watch the standings and say, well, if Jacksonville loses this game or this that or the other, how tough is it? Just a just focus on what we gotta do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I definitely peak about all that stuff. Not gonna lie, you know, see how the other games are gone.
Speaker 2: That's just natural.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the nice part about our situation is we control our destiny. So it's just you know, then it kind of becomes a lot simpler. It's like, hey, you know, we can do this, and if we put in the effort, put in control what we can control and whatever else, you know, let them do what they want to do.
Speaker 4: How much do you kick during the week in practice? Because I imagine there's a balance. You don't want to wear yourself out, you got to stay sharp, so on and so forth.
Speaker 5: What's that regiment?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the quality over quantity type thing? For me?
Speaker 3: Usually I kick Wednesday, Fridays and then Sundays obviously.
Speaker 2: So day apart, get the rest after.
Speaker 3: The Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and then you know, heavier day on Wednesday and then sharpen up on Friday and then let it rip on Sunday.
Speaker 1: You know, I keep asking you about the mental aspect because I never envied a kicker, because I'm always like, I don't want to be in that, you know, in that guy's shoes. What is it like during the game where there's three quarters and you haven't even stepped on the field, Like are you staying on the bike? Are you kind of going through the thought process you talked about earlier in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go through little mental rehearsals.
Speaker 3: I guess you'd want to say of like, you know, maybe the other team had a pah or a field goal, and you kind of all right, if I was in that situation, what would I be doing?
Speaker 2: You go through it in your head. But yeah, that's the hard part for sure, is if.
Speaker 3: You haven't touched the field for a while and then all of a sudden you're you're called upon. Thankfully, I've been in that situation, so you kind of know how to manage your You know your body and your emotions, your mentals. So yeah, I think once you get to the game time, it's just you know whatever comes comes and don't resist anything.
Speaker 1: With that being said, do you ever get upset when you feel like they're within your range? But not this coach, with any coach is playing it too conservative for you? Like are you ever thinking yourself, come on, coach, I can I can make this.
Speaker 3: I think I always have that attitude is if, yeah, if it's best for the team to punt it and set us up, then you know, so be it. And if it is called upon me and I welcome that too, let's go, So I try to show like if it's third down and I'm waiting there on the sideline and I creep out, it's like, hey, I'm ready, but if whatever's best for the team.
Speaker 5: I've seen that. I've seen the creeping sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you kind of get the little jog out like you're getting ready to go.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 4: One thing we do on the show is we talk about position group dinners.
Speaker 5: Do you guys do that? Do you guys? The three you get.
Speaker 3: Together occasionally, but for us, all of us have kids now right right right, so yeah, it's you know, Friday becomes about about them and then you know, maybe date night with your wife all that kind of stuff, So.
Speaker 5: It's infrequent when you guys do get together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes if birthday or you know occasion, we might bring.
Speaker 2: In the whole family with us too.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, what do you'all do when y'all when that happens at somebody's house or y'all go out?
Speaker 2: Uh, we have gone to my house before. Sometimes just go grab some tacos or something something easy. Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 6: I like, how y'all do it? All right, We're gonna take a quick time out.
Speaker 2: So how is your boy now he's almost a year.
Speaker 6: Will this be your first Christmas with him?
Speaker 2: First one?
Speaker 6: Okay, good.
Speaker 1: On the other side, we're gonna ask what's the perfect gift for your son? And what does Kymie want off the football field for Christmas? We'll talk about that and much more. Texan Huddle. Right here, Welcome in, Welcome back. One more segment to go, right here, Texan Huddle. I am indeed he's Drew Kymie joining us here in the huddle, and before we left, I gave him a few seconds to think about it. We're six days away from Christmas. Obviously, when you think Christmas now, we forget the reason for the season. It's all about the gifts. So we'll play into that one. You're gonna spend your first Christmas with your baby boy, So what gift are you buying for him? And what do you want? You know, the men always get overlooked, the husbands and fathers always get overlooked. So what do you want off the field? What do you want to unwrap?
Speaker 2: Shoot?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the obvious one would be you know, we're playing on Christmas Eve, so that would be a gift for me and a lot of other people in this stadium.
Speaker 2: Get that dumb have a great dead Christmas. But it's something on a wrap. That's a good question. I think I put it on my Christmas list. There's this.
Speaker 3: There's this little like caddy, a stroller caddy where you can attach it to a stroller, and it's got these slots for golf clubs. So I'm gonna take my son, put them in the stroller, and then put all my clothes so you can walk you're outside with your son, and then I'll get my son a little mini putter.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect, Yeah, golf related.
Speaker 1: Look a true dad, It is golf related. And he still throws in some of the first son. So that's a true taken away.
Speaker 5: Have you seen people you know?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I haven't. It's come up on the Instagram feed pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna probably come up on our Instagram feeds now that we're talking about our phones.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite Christmas song?
Speaker 2: I mean, MACA, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good one about you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I'm gonna sound real bah humble, Sure, I don't know, I can't you know what?
Speaker 6: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Uh, what was the hottest Queens Brun DMC. Yeah, yeah, it was a die Hard's yours. Uh.
Speaker 4: I like Carol and Caroling by Nat King Cole White, Christmas being Crosby Last Christmas Wham wham.
Speaker 5: Yeah why not.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to look that one up.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you you've heard, let me ask you all this, and I'll say this as even though I sound like I'm not into Christmas, I am. One of my favorite Christmas movies is the old school movie where and I can't even remember the name, but I watched it in elementary where he said, oh I shouldn't.
Speaker 6: Have been born.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's a wonderful, Like it's a wonderful. My favorite movie ever?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Is it movies?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Do you have a favorite Christmas movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're on a little kick right now. We try to watch on it, you know, turn it on every night.
Speaker 2: Nice right now. Polar Express.
Speaker 5: I think that's a good. Yeah, Okay, a cartoonish cartoon.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna have to try that.
Speaker 4: That's it's pretty. It's good with yeah, good with kids. I forgot Stevie Wonder has like three bangers. Uh, that's what Christmas means to me, that's that's my.
Speaker 1: Favorite's Mariah carry Christmas?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on every store YEP, it's playing in the gazillion stores right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, I saw the shock in your eyes when he said It's a Wonderful life. It's his favorite movie ever. What's your favorite movie? Favorite movie regardless of genre? Man, Like, when you're relaxing on the couch, it's on, no matter what you say, you know what, I'm gonna I'm gonna watch it because it's on.
Speaker 3: The first one that comes to mind, probably like Interstellar, maybe Goodwill Hunting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like that's strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are those are two that come off the top of my well.
Speaker 6: Was the first one I have even heard of that?
Speaker 2: Interstellar? Yeah, there was Space one.
Speaker 5: To check that I've heard of it. I've never seen so you recommend it?
Speaker 6: Should? Should? I sit on the couch? And definitely Interstellar.
Speaker 2: It's a trip for sure.
Speaker 3: It's about space in the future and Matthew McConaughey is in it and Hathaway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how have I not heard of that? Good?
Speaker 1: I'm glad to thank you You've given me something to watch in the favorite you know, as I'm asking kind of that I'm like, that's it's a loaded question because.
Speaker 5: It's more like yeah, like seven or eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh, New Jack City. I really enjoyed New Jack City. Scarface, as bad as the acting is, maybe it was the point of my life when I watched it. Have you seen Scarface with I Just that's one movie that no matter what, I'm stopping it and I'm not one of these fake want to be gangsters, but there's just something.
Speaker 6: About the captivating. Yeah. Then Coming to America was just yeah, there's just good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's such a tough so give us your your three that just popping into your.
Speaker 4: Head when love die hard. Good One Hunting was yeah, the first first Good One. Hunting is phenomenal movie. I've seen that a bunch and it does never diminish.
Speaker 5: Gosh. I love.
Speaker 4: A lot of baseball movies too, like sports movies, Field of Dreams, Full Durham, The Natural.
Speaker 2: You got categories right, Yes, Sports.
Speaker 5: Michael MoES like Heat, Collateral like those are all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll say one that caught me off guard because I had no idea what it was going to be about, and sometimes that makes it a better viewing experience for me. A Green Mile have you seen the Hell of the movie, Like I didn't know about the the what's the word I'm looking for, you know, the aspect of the fact that it's the fantasy part of right, you know.
Speaker 6: So when I saw that, I was like, oh, whoa, where did.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen that for like twenty five years when that was That's right one classic?
Speaker 1: Do you listen to me? Like before the games? You depending on positions, certain guys you know, try to get hype. They try to stay cool, like pregame, Are you listening to anything?
Speaker 2: Not really, I I've tried that, And I like to be in my surroundings and observe and hear stuff, and I feel more comfortable that way.
Speaker 3: If I had headphones on, I'd feel like shut off. So I like to be, you know, hearing guys talk, you know, whatever it is. So that just works for me.
Speaker 1: How important is it for you to, you know, really watch the game, watch the offensive defense and kind of understand what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm definitely I'm more free on when we're on defense, just because I'm not locked in going on offense. I definitely keep an eye on the offense obviously as they move down the field, But it's more of like observing, not getting like attached to whatever is happening, so I can kind of stay in my zone.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I definitely keep track of the game.
Speaker 4: When the Texans are on offense, and say they're down on the other end of the field at like the twenty five, you're usually on the other end of the sideline right kicking into that because there's two nets, right.
Speaker 2: And if we're on our own twenty five or like you're.
Speaker 4: About to score, you're you're closer to the opposite twenty five and you kind of flip right, you sort of stay opposite the action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I like to do that because I can come onto the field and walk towards the field goals, so it looks like the field goal is getting closer and smaller or not smaller, larger rather than you know, just the awkwardness of coming right from the side.
Speaker 4: That makes way more sense than I thought. You just did it because you didn't You wanted a clearer path to walk. You didn't want to have to walk.
Speaker 2: Definitely, that aspect of it.
Speaker 4: That your yours makes a whole hell of a lot, and I didn't even think of, Yeah, that is cool.
Speaker 1: You know, this is fascinating because this is one part of the game I just don't know anything about. So to hear the mental aspect, the mental approach, even how you approach and walk onto the field like or our dumb asses is z line. We're just run on the field, like where's the ball? Okay, there it is. But you're like, so when is that taught? Like did somebody teach you that at an early age or is it more natural?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Taught, and then you just kind of I've always liked to watch other kickers in their routines, whether you know, if you watch somebody and you can see what they do, you almost get to learn what you don't like and what you do like, so you know what works for you and what doesn't work for you. So yeah, my coach did mention something like that. Just you got to figure it out for yourself.
Speaker 4: Who are the kickers that you leaned on as far as like I watched this guy, I watched this guy. Who would you get the most info from and pattern most things after?
Speaker 5: Was it a combo of guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely a combo.
Speaker 3: Robbie Gold for sure, he's retired, but he was definitely one of long time. One of my favorites, especially being able to du It's Chicago. Dan Bailey, he was he was lights out for a long time.
Speaker 5: Cowboys, Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And then obviously like the Great Spantari.
Speaker 3: You know, just they all have different techniques, they all swing a little different, but just their approach to the game mentally, you know, it's all has been elite.
Speaker 1: What's the relationship like during training camp when they bring in other kickers for the other positions, your thought is how we could be friends and hopefully the guy makes a team, but with kickers, like only one of us is gonna make it.
Speaker 6: So is it more?
Speaker 1: Are you mentoring the young guy or are you looking at him like, no, that's my competitor.
Speaker 5: Both.
Speaker 3: I don't see why you can't have respect for a guy that you're competing with. If they ask me questions, I'll answer them truthfully. I'm not trying to, like, you know, make you know if I want him at my best, because that's gonna make me better. I've always personally liked kicking with other kickers because we go out alone.
Speaker 2: It's it's different.
Speaker 3: You know, you're you're working on stuff, but there's when there's somebody else there, it's like, all right, I gotta be sharp today. Kind of brings you up a little bit, you know, rise to that, you know, if occasion, I guess whatever it is when it's important.
Speaker 2: But yeah, when other kickers come, it's just you know, it's part.
Speaker 1: Of the game, part of the job. Yeah, so so you actually give them good advice. So like me, I'll be like, no, you gotta kick it with your toe. You know, you gotta you gotta go with you gotta go with the wind.
Speaker 2: So I definitely do that, you know, like let's kick. Let's kick against the wind today.
Speaker 5: If you approach it, then try to kick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, so that's cool.
Speaker 1: I figured, uh, you know, there's always gonna be these battles in training camp, but with kickers, it is there's only one spot. So I didn't know how intense the relationship would be off the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's it is what it is. You know, if hopefully you it makes you better, that's the way I look at it.
Speaker 1: Well said, what's made you better? And the textan fans are definitely appreciative of it. Appreciate what you've been doing here for so many years, and keep it up and we really appreciate you joining us here in Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate the love you know, the city, the fans. Thank you very much for stinging with us hoping to make you guys proud. Thanks for your guys time today and go Texans.
Speaker 1: You've already made us proud for Kymi, for Drew I am. Indeed, this has been Texan Huddle