Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Car and Drivers Into Cars, a podcast from iHeartMedia is Ruby Studio, brought to you by eBay Motors. I'm Tony ki Roger, the editor in chief of Car and Driver, and I'm joined by my co host, former editor in chief and current Chief Brand and Content Officer, Eddie Alterman, and together We're Into Cars.
Speaker 2: Each episode of this podcast covers a new car we think is worthy of your attention. The cars we select for this podcast may feature a novel design, cutting edge engineering, or offer something entirely new. We'll be covering the stories behind the cars too, answering the whys and exploring the whats. We'll drive the cars and let you listen in, and then we'll sit down with the people who made the cars to answer our questions about them. Come along for the ride and you'll hear it all the good, the bad, and the ugly in the way that only carent Driver delivers. So today we've got two BMW's to drive and talk about. Two BMW's, but they're the same car. It's the five series, but the gas version and the EV version.
Speaker 1: And it basically comes down to a customer's choice. Do you want battery or gas tank charging station or gas station. Do you want a turbot charge in line six or an electric motor? I mean, it's an interesting choice, and it's a choice that more and more people are going to be facing over the next five ten years.
Speaker 2: BMW has a really interesting approach here within the envelope of the five series. You can get a mild hybrid gas engine or a full EV. You can just pick which technology you want.
Speaker 1: Right, it comes down to what do you want, what fits your needes. They have both options and you get the exact same car essentially. And maybe it comes from being a little gun shy after building something like the BMWi three, which launched about a decade ago, carbon fiber structure. It was a purpose built EV. It was super practical, It had some quirkiness that people sort of expected of evs, but it just didn't sell. So this this might be a reaction against that. That must have been a pretty expensive mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I three was super exotic. The interior was incredible. It had suicide doors, these tiny little sort of bicycle tires. They built a concept car that was actually pretty affordable, didn't have a ton of range, and it sort of looked like a science experiment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever look at the rear end of that thing? It looked like it was swallowing a nine to eleven. If you look at the rear bumper of that car, it looks like it's just a nine to eleven has driven into the I three and just you can just see the bottom of its tail.
Speaker 2: Like, I'll have to take a look. But they are sort of gunshy, I would say.
Speaker 1: And EV adoption, the timeline has kept changing. Having two powertrains, an electric and a gas one on the same platform allows them to have flexibility. So if the market is turning away from eves, if the market's turning towards gas or vice versa, they have some flexibility to move more evs or more gas cars. And I think that makes total sense. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: You can scale production of one model based on consumer demand instead of shoving this stuff down people's throats, you know. And I think that's been a lot of that EV backlash. It's been due to people saying, you know what, I still want an internal combustion car. The ultimate freedom is choice and BMW allows people to have that freedom. And the five series is really an icon of the sports Sinanan World and the E thirty four version, the E thirty nine version. These were sort of seen as the pinnacle of the mid size sports sedan, and so I think the question before us today is is the electric a better sports sedan than the gas version.
Speaker 1: So today we have the top of the five series ranges. We have the top gas engine car, which is the five forty I X drive, and then we've got the I five M sixty. So we've got the top ones until the M five shows up. The five forty in traditional BMWA has terbocharged in line six, and I want to see how that compares to the I five M sixty. I mean, the I five M sixty has a lot more power. It's got five hundred and ninety three horsepower. It's also got a lot more weight. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but it is. It's also more expensive. It's close to twenty thousand dollars more expensive than the more but it got a lot more power. You got more than two hundred more horsepower.
Speaker 2: And there's three levels to the I five. Right, there's the rear drive you know, base car, which is three hundred and thirty five horse power, which is plenty quick the three hundred and eighty nine horse power Extrive forty version, and then this top Dog, which, as you say, is almost six hundred horse power, which is you know, adequate. They really look very very similar. You'd be hard pressed to see which is the EV and which is the ice version. But let's go out into the parking lot do a little walk around and see what those differences really are.
Speaker 1: We're standing in front of the I five Eddie and the five forty. I can't see the badges. Which one's the gas one, which one's the electric. It is extraordinarily hard to tell. They're the same.
Speaker 2: They're the same. I mean they both have the same plastic grill. One has an M badge, so maybe that's the gas one. But then I look at the BMW rondel and it has a blue ring around.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the Oh and it's got that on the wheels too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's but the wheels are exactly the same. Yes, the height of the cars are exactly the same, the size is exactly the same, The body is the same.
Speaker 1: They've got the same body kit.
Speaker 2: If you look at the five forty, it has that sort of thick rocker section you go, oh, that's the evy. No, it's the exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one just doesn't have a battery in it in that space. That's basically it. I mean, if you look really close, the tires are different. It's the same kind of tire, but the I five has a little bit more tire. It's a wider tire. Yeah, and it's got the new HL rating for tires, which is for heavy load. Because this is a big boy at like over fifty two hundred pounds. Oh my god. And so what is the five. It's also a big boy. I think it's around forty three hundred pounds. Let's walk around the back. Okay, they don't even show off the exhaust pipe, so you get this like pseudo diffuser on both cars, but you can't even see the exhaust.
Speaker 2: Oh difference, different license plates and one is red and one is blue. But other than that, it's nothing. And I do have to say these are some of the least grotesque is coming out of the Doctor Font's laboratory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they've been edited for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking at you, XM, these look like proper luxury cars, high reard.
Speaker 1: Deck, the proportions are right, it's got the long dash to axle, which is the distance from the middle of the front wheel to the windshield. That shows it's not a front wheel drive car basically exactly. They're pretty.
Speaker 2: They do have that kind of angularity and some of the graphics that is so popular these days.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's not the brick that the I seven and the seventh series are. It looks more like a five series has always looked. Here's another Easter egg. Oh on the B pillars A five middle post of the cars. A little five. That's cool in case you forget what you're driving.
Speaker 2: How do we feel about the electric wearing the M badge?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it has almost six hundred horse bar, so I feel okay with it. Okay, I can make I can make.
Speaker 2: Peace with it. Well that's the xterior. Let's talk about the interior.
Speaker 1: Let's up inside. Would you hear that? It's got startup music. We're looking at carbon fiber trim. It's got this huge center screen, which is a touch screen. I like this touch. When you turn the hazard lights on, illuminates.
Speaker 2: The the whole hype lights.
Speaker 1: The whole hYP lights up, so you can't just leave your hazard lights on. It's got the M sports seats, which are really comfortable. It's got the M steering wheel with a little red piece of leather in the middle, so you know what the top is, which is kind of hilarious.
Speaker 2: Decently upright windshield for cars these days.
Speaker 1: That's very true. Yeah, and this one's got a big.
Speaker 2: Hud head up display, which, yeah, exactly always turn off.
Speaker 1: I hate those. Oh you don't like those. I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: I find it so distracting. I'm not a toimecap pilot. I'm not Maverick. I don't need it. I'm not even Goose.
Speaker 1: It has the latest version of I Drive. BMW still has eye drive. I think it's like I Drive thirty seven point two. But yeah, so you still get the big knob, you still get the big control now. But you know, mercifully, BMW puts a touchscreen into this thing too.
Speaker 2: And I like the width of this car. You know, it's so a little less closely coupled than the I four. It feels a little bit more luxurious. There's tons of leg and knee room. Yeah, it's super comfy. This would be an amazing cross country cruiser if it wasn't an EV.
Speaker 1: Although it can fast charge pretty quickly, not as quick as some of the fastest cars. It is a DC fast charger which can do up to two hundred and five kilowatts. It's a four hundred volt system, which isn't you know the eight hundred volt system of a pors Of ty Can or some of the Hyundai cars, So it can't fast charge quite as fast as those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really the state of the r right now, the eight hundred. And it's funny that, you know, portion Audi have it and so does Hyundaikia Genesis, right, yeah, I know. Well it's incredibly quiet at idle.
Speaker 1: Yes it has. It has a really nice idol. But you know, the in our testing, the five forty is only like two or three decibels louder than this at idle. So they've really masked the machinery.
Speaker 2: You know, it's going to be interesting to dry these things because motor is right in the middle of the name yep, and for the longest time that meant engine YEP. Now it means actual motor.
Speaker 1: And it meant in in line six for the longest time, which at least they still have it. They still make it. I mean, you can get a four cylinder turbot with the five thirty I, and then you can get the five forty I, which has you know, the traditional inline six at PMW has been making for els. God bless them. I caught half of the twelve it is. It basically is. It's so smooth, it's so quiet, it's so refined, but you still get sound. You don't get the sound in the electric Yeah you don't. Let's go step in the five forty and see if we can pick out any differences. Sounds good. So here we are in the five forty I. What do you not first? Yeah, it doesn't have the carbon fiber trim, but otherwise it's identical. It doesn't have a little red stripe on the steering wheel either, so that's I'm not buying this one. Start it up. Let's see what it sounds like. Okay, okay, it's very quiet. It's got a nice little hum to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everything is exactly as it is in the electric version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's exactly the same. It's it's really kind of freaky. Oh you get it's a cometer. Oh right, it's acometer instead of a power percentage gauge. How do you feel about those gauges? Remember the old BMW gauges. They used to take such pride in having large, clear, round analog gauges, and now this is what the companies doing. No, it's been a.
Speaker 2: Long descent from the days of video and Jaeger gauges, or as they say in the Watch World, ja ja.
Speaker 1: That's what they watchers say. This looks like you remember that that video game Tempest. These are the Tempest where you're it's Tempest. And the designers must have played Tempest at an early age and decided that this is what they want in their gauges. And it's not. They're not as clear, they don't work as well.
Speaker 2: Look, this is an Apple Watch versus a Rolex argument, right right right once you rather have the analog thing, you know, especially in an analog seeming car or a car that is old school internal combustion.
Speaker 1: I want real gauges. All right, let's try.
Speaker 2: I think what BMW is trying to do here is normalize the EV version as just another powertrain choice.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Yeah, it's kind of like it's no different than when they offered a diesel in a gas There's really no difference exterior or into or your wise. You just have a different decometer, and that's basically the difference here.
Speaker 2: You want the four, you want the six, or you want the uh you know the battery?
Speaker 1: Oh that engines so smooth in the inline six is it doesn't matter if you're at one thousand rpm or six thousand rpm. It's just a slightly louder thing, but you feel no vibration coming through the car. It's just isn't an amazing It's so wonderful.
Speaker 2: I love that they've stuck with it, and I think our mission today try to figure out which is the best sports stand between.
Speaker 1: Two Yeah, which one has more E thirty nine ers full late nineties early two thousands five series, which I think is the high water mark. I do to think it's the high water mark. I do too.
Speaker 2: That car is great, But you know that car weighed.
Speaker 1: Six thirty seven. I mean we thought it was heavy at the time. I know it was heavy because it was heavier than it's pressor.
Speaker 2: But as when the engines so went everything else in that car. It was just so incredibly smooth and progressive and predictable, and you knew where you were at all times.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, BMW's pumping in some engine sound that's coming out of there speakers. Yeah sounds good. Though it does sound good, it sounds real.
Speaker 2: So much of the car's personality is in the engine. It's the heart of the car, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just lose it. You just lose it and you gain acceleration. They're fun. I mean, electrics are super fun. But yeah, I mean the personality of a BMW was a lot of it was built out of the inline six and how flu it was and how different it was from every competitor V sixes and even from competitor inline sixes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And my beef with evs when you drive a bunch of them back to back is they all start to feel the same. I don't care if it's like a Lucid Sapphire or an Ionic five from Hyundai. They all have the same power delivery and they all really have that same character.
Speaker 1: They try to fake it with the fake noises which sort of sound like, you know, anywhere from like the Jetson's car to an angry robot, but it just doesn't do it for me, and it doesn't really. Since there's only one gear, you're not going through the gears, there's no change in the experience you've taken such an important part of driving a car out of it an important part of a brand's personality too.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what's the differentiator at that point between evs. It's brand whatever that means, it's styling its interior. I will say, However, there are some edge cases to this, Okay, like the Porsche Ti Kon. Somehow that thing still feels like a Porsche.
Speaker 1: It does, and for me, you sit in it and it feels you're sitting so low. They really played that up. You can see the front fenders. They really did it right so that you feel, even though you're in a sedan, it feels like you're in a sports car. Yeah, let's do a quick launch. Okay, Oh, it's pretty hard. My lobships watch is super hard. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Nauseating, great, nauseating.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: You know, humans weren't engineered to go to accelerate that quickly.
Speaker 1: It's like, if you travel faster than a horse, will you die? Maybe? Yeah. Now we're on the highway. I mean it's really quiet as uh, you know, as you expect from a mid sized BMW.
Speaker 2: At the five series Tony, there is a v sun Rogue ahead of us with a neurbur ring track sticker on the back of it.
Speaker 1: Will you catch up to him? Check this out? Oh, it's so good. It's so wonderful. And there's no change in like, you don't feel any bad vibes coming through the car at all. It's just magic. It's just a wonderful, wonderful magic in Line six still has a ton of grip on the skid pad. It was about the same as the as the I five. And it's so balance. I mean, it's not understeering, it's not oversteering. You know. The all four tires are working equally hard, it feels like, and this one doesn't have the fifty to fifty balance that BMW's used to be famous for. It's a little bit nose heavy, but you kind of stepped away from that. However, the electric is fifty to fifty weight distribution, and.
Speaker 2: You can still control the cornery attitude of these cars with the throttle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the steering is pretty asleep. You're not getting a ton of feel through the steering, and even in this sport mode, it's really really sort of overly light and that's a shame. Okay, want to hear my theory about BMW's I do.
Speaker 2: They're always moving on to the next thing. They're always putting their deepest talent in the next technology. You know, when Europe was making great sports cars, they focused on sports sedans. When everybody caught up and started making great sports edans, they had shifted to making great SUVs, and the sports dans suffered a little bit, and they weren't quite as good as they had been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because X five was sort of like the first great driving suv see right.
Speaker 2: Okay, and they made great SUVs and even the X one, the front drive one, the rear drive one was incredible, but even the front drive one was good, much better than the Mercedes equivalent.
Speaker 1: You think they put all the talent into what's next? I do? I think.
Speaker 2: You know, they've moved a lot of people from what I understand, off the M cars and in to the I cars, and they're really like front loading a lot of their talent into what's next.
Speaker 1: That's how I four feels. I four feels like the best people at BMW, the people who had all the institutional knowledge of how to make a car handle, how to make a car steer, or put on that car, and then they brought back some of that magic. It's really really great. Oh so good, I mean so smooth. If somebody said there's a V twelve under the hood, you'd be like, oh, yeah, totally, exactly, totally, it's so smooth.
Speaker 2: And all the piped in engine noise in the world, which there is some can't really replace that, or the feel under the ball of your foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just being able to downshift a few gears and just bring the engine alive because it is sort of a living thing. I totally agree.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, this is the closest that man has come to creating an animal. The internal combustion motor car and the engine is the heart of it. The thing is growling. You have to kind of innate connection to it because of the sounds it's making. But there is an opacity to an ev you know, there is that like what's really going on here? You know there is a motor. There's a motor that's moving, but it feels remote.
Speaker 1: It does, it's not the same. Let's see if.
Speaker 2: You know BMW in the I five can give us some of that feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take this five point forty back and go step into the I five and see what happens. Okay, now we're inside the I five M sixty.
Speaker 2: Let's start it up and see what it sounds like. Who foreboding? Does Industrial Light and Magic get a royalty for I was going to use a really dated reference. It's close encounters. I think I beat you with that. No, No, close Encounters is like eighty three or something.
Speaker 1: I think it's like seventy eight. Oh, okay, all right, let's get go on. Put it in drive. Sounds good, Oh it's silent. I know.
Speaker 2: BMW spends a lot of time and energy on the sounds that its cars make, from the turn signals to the door chimes to all that stuff. And I'm sure they got some tricks up their sleeve when it comes to ev sounds.
Speaker 1: But we'll see. Well, it has this iconic sounds which the other car also has. You can sort of turn that on and off to see how or to make it louder or quieter. What you want to do?
Speaker 2: Does it sound like a batmobile? So car Driver, whenever it tests a car, it produces a track sheet. And I'm looking at the one from the I five sixty X drive right now, and I'm looking at curbweight. Okay, it's five two hundred and twenty five pounds, almost perfectly distributed front rear.
Speaker 1: Yep. But you can do that with the electric car, and I used to be such an important part of BMW's.
Speaker 2: That was a huge part of their brand, but you know, a lot of it was marketing. Oh oh man, that's brutal acceleration. Okay, So crazier acceleration from this car, just in that little little run from a much heavier car. Okay, the five point forty I'm looking at the trackshet that weighed forty three hundred and sixty five, not a lightweight, fifty four point two percent of its masses on the front, forty five point eight percent on the rear. So this is a much heavier car, but it's also much much quicker.
Speaker 1: But I bet the center of gravity of this car is lower because you've got the battery pack in the floor, so you've got that mass all in the floor. Yeah, So it'll be interesting to see how it handles compared to the other one. The extra weight in a good place isn't necessarily a bad thing. They put a little more tire underneath to compensate for the extra weight, but both are about point nine g. I do miss the little vibrations of the engine. I miss the intake noise.
Speaker 2: This feels very clinical and anti dine in comparison. The noise is such a huge part of that car, the five forty, I mean, such a great sound it it engine makes.
Speaker 1: And then having I mean this is a one gear. I have one gear here. I'm always in the right gear. Yeah, and I've got a ton of torque. It's got amazing accelerator response. Notice I'm not saying throttle response.
Speaker 2: Let's do an acceleration run and see how it stacks up to the five forty.
Speaker 1: You guys ready instantaneous torque.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a lot of mass moving real quick.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, sixty and three three I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, let's look at the numbers. Sixty in three three versus the five forties sixty in four seconds.
Speaker 1: Which is still remarkably quick. The quarter mile they really start to separate. That's where you really see the difference in horsepower in the quarter This one did eleven and a half at one twenty four and the other one I think it was twelve and a half at one eleven. So, yeah, that's right. Gap. It just keeps growing. The gap just keeps growing as you accelerate harder and harder. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at one hundred and fifty or one hundred and forty, the gas car is at twenty two point one seconds.
Speaker 1: How quick is this one fifteen point four? It's crazy. You feel the torque, you feel the power, but it's just one linear blast. You don't get the change in the engine revolutions. You don't get the gear shifts. And there's drama in that. I mean there's drama in this because you're pressed so hard into the seat, but there's drama in those gear shifts. There's real character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does it a certain way that you have to appreciate. You know, it's a lot harder to make a gear change that smooth. It's a lot harder to make all those reciprocating parts move in concert that way. And I think you innately just appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So for me, when a machine works hard is when I find it most rewarding. Electric cars don't ever feel like they're working that hard. They just do it, and they do it like sort of blindly, like a with a flat face. It just gets it done, and it's brutal and it's quick, but a GASCAR really feels like it's working to do it.
Speaker 2: It's uncanny Valley, it really is. You know, this thing is robotic. Now, let's see if you can change the cornery attitude in this car the way you could with the five forty.
Speaker 1: I mean it feels similar. I feel like it feels a little bit heavier. The steering actually feels a little nicer than the gas car. Yeah, definitely, mean what the tires are doing. You can feel what the tires are doing. Yeah, a little bit. The steering feels nicer, there's more feedback, there's more waiting. It just feels like a bit more connected in a way that the other steering didn't. It also speaks to your theory that maybe they've got the best people on the electric car.
Speaker 2: What about breaking, did you get a sense of you know, break field modulation. You know, because this has a both regenerative and friction braking system.
Speaker 1: It's blended beautifully. A break pedal feels just as good as it does in the five forty, And the five forty has a really nice break pedal, super predictable, really linear, it's not doing anything weird and grabbing as the handoff from the regenerative breaks to the friction breaks happens. I can't really discern a difference. I mean, it feels really great, well tuned. Huh. Yeah, we've used five percent of the battery just in the time that we've left the office. That's crazy. A couple of short acceleration blasts and that's what happens. But yeah, I mean the immediacy of the response of an electric car is intoxicating. I do have to say, like in passing in our five to sixty tests, basically what we try to do in the five to sixty test is recreate what happens on the street. In the street, you're not setting your car up for launch control, you're not doing all that nonsense. You're just matting the throttle. So we roll at five miles an hour, stomp on the accelerator, and the difference between the gas car and the electric car is remarkable. The gas car does it in five seconds, so it adds a second to its zero to sixty. In the electric car, I think you only add three tenses, yes, three, six, yeah, So I mean this thing you can line up to anyone at a dragstrip. You don't have to do very much to prepare the car. You really don't have to do very much more than just stomping on the accelerator and flooring it and making sure that you hold your foot down. I mean, it's just that simple.
Speaker 2: I can say anecdotally that EV drivers, EV sedan drivers drive like complete maniacs. They're going for all the whole shots. I mean they're put in the accord and ultimate guys to shame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you can do it. I mean you just you just squeeze the you squeeze the accelerator. You're always in the right gear. You have this all this immediate torque, and the car just delivers the acceleration. Let's try it now. Let's let's try it if we shut the iconic sounds off and accelerate. Okay, oh yeah, that's even more robotic. It's just it doesn't even make any noise. It's soulless, but it's quick. I mean it snaps your head back. Yeah, it does, go back to iconic sounds. I'm not hating it that much. In this car, the iconic sounds. This actually sounds like an internal combustion engine. They've really faked it.
Speaker 2: I think it sounds more like, you know, a kind of ev sounds signature, which I appreciate, like it.
Speaker 1: Should sound like what it is.
Speaker 2: There's a little grit at the bottom end. But I'm sorry, sitting in the passenger seat, I like the experience of the five forty.
Speaker 1: Bet you were more involved too. I mean, anytime you're shifting, even if it's through the paddles of an automatic, you're still taking control of the car.
Speaker 2: And that's ultimately what a sports dance about. Feedback sensitivity.
Speaker 1: Joy. Although I gotta say I'll take the steering of this one every day of the week. It's really sweet. Fair.
Speaker 2: They gotta do something to keep you involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do these things cost? Oh? Yeah, that's a good question. I think this one starts around in the high eighties for the electric and there aren't too many options. And the five forty is I think it's in the sixty six thousand dollars range base price, but this one has at least ten thousand dollars worth of options on it to make it basically the same spec as the I'm sixty. Okay, what do you like better? Like the five forty. I think I'd buy the five forty. How about you? Eddie? You always want to buy one.
Speaker 2: I always want one to buy one. It's a five forty for me, Doug. I just love that straight six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really care that this is quicker. Four seconds of sixty is quick enough, and even in the rolling start the real world number five seconds is still plenty quick, still quick, and it's a really enjoyable five seconds because the car is straining, you're going through the gears, you're hearing it. It's special and it works for me. That's the one i'd buy. Yeah, I agree, Well, that was fun. I know which car we would choose. But who are these cars? Four? I mean, they're very different cars. Who's each one? Four? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think the EV world is sort of separated into the halfs and have knots, right, those people who have a garage or or regular place to charge it in those who don't. For car like this, a performance EV that's draining the battery at a pretty alarming rate, you need a place to plug in, if not every night, than every other night.
Speaker 1: It totally has to work for you, and that's such a big element of it. And it also depends on the tire size and the wheel size. The nineteens get two hundred and fifty six miles of range in the EPA testing. If you go to twenty inches you get the best range of two hundred and seventy eight miles. But if you do what we did and have the twenty one inch wheels with the summer tires, your range goes all the way down to two hundred and forty miles. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not just the size, it's also the compound, right, Yeah, totally. To answer the question of who would buy the EV over the Straight six, it's someone who welcomes our robot overlords because that thing is dead eyed. It's insanely quick, it's impressive as hell, but it's soulless.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the soul's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and BMWs should be about souls definitely.
Speaker 1: When we return, we're speaking with product planner John Kelly, who works in BMW's US Product and Strategy department.
Speaker 2: Stay Tuned, Welcome back to Car and Drivers into Cars. Product planner John Kelly works in BMW's US Product and Strategy department, and he's responsible for both the electric and gas versions of the BMW five series. Welcome to in the cars, John, We've driven both of these cars back to back and we have some thoughts and questions.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the strategy of building an electric and GASCAR off the same platform. The cluster platform allows you to do that. What are some of the benefits and what are some of the compromises.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, as you mentioned, the current architecture that the five series is built on is referred to as our cluster architecture. It's actually a very very flexible architecture. It allows us to build many different drive trains on the same chassis. So in the US we have the combustion engine cars, and it's not just combustion engine PEV or full BEV, but even within those there's a lot of complexity and a lot of variation, and this is really important to us for us to be able to offer the customers exactly what they want. And in this case, we have one architecture where we have combustion engines. In the US, we have a four cylinder and a traditional BMWN nine six, which is really fantastic. We have the plug in hybrid, so this is a six cylinder plug in hybrid that comes out this summer. This car makes over four hundred and eighty horse power. But then we also have the fully electric variant, and even there we have we actually have three different models, but two of them are quite similar. So we have the forties in re real drive with one E machine. We have the X drive forty two E machines, one front, one rear, and then we have our performance variant with nearly six hundred horsepower. That's the one I drive every day and the car is awesome.
Speaker 2: That's what we drove too. So how do you achieve that platform flexibility? I mean, short wave of answer asking that question is where do all the batteries go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's pretty straightforward, and actually it's something that I hope you recognize when you were driving the car is the batteries are below the floor, so they're between the wheelbase, between the track below the floor. Despite the battery being quite heavy, it gives you a nice low center of gravity and the carstial handles like you would expect to a mid size BMW sports sedan to handle. But you mentioned what does it take to be able to do this in one platform and the answer is it's not that simple. It's not as easy as just let's say, taking out the combustion engine. It's really quite complex because you need to start with a platform that's flexible enough to allow you to do this without significant downsides. So if you were to just, let's say, take out the combustion engine, you're going to have major inefficiencies in terms of packaging and weight and so forth. But by using our cluster architecture, which is very flexible, it allows us to package these components in a very intelligent way, such as having the battery below the floor. We have what we call a heat unit, so it's a highly integrated drive train unit, so has your electric motor, transmission and power electronics all in one housing. And fitting that in the front where you can fit a rather long inline six engine not terribly difficult. But in the rear it is where in the rear typically you have a differential and not much else. So by using an architecture that is adaptable and can fit these components quite easily, you end up being able to fit them without many downsides in terms of packaging.
Speaker 1: I have a question about the BMWi three and sort of how that relates to the cluster architecture in the current five series. The I three was a pretty radical ev carbon fiber structure. It was pretty exotic vehicle and now it seems like you've shifted over to a conventional sedan. Is that sort of a reaction to how the I three did in the marketplace or was it an expense thing? How does the I three fit into the strategy today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good question, and to be honest, that's one that I love talking about because I've been with the company for twenty years, and prior to the ten years i'm in product management, I was in product engineering. I had the pleasure of, while I was in product engineering of working on the I three and I eight and launching those products, so I know them in a very detailed technical way, and the cars were very much ahead of their times in many ways. That carbon fiber passenger cell was spectacular, lightweight, very strong, and so forth. A little challenging to produce, of course, but that was I would say, a very unique example basically a two door hatch which has a relatively small or limited market in the US, and it used technology that was perfect for a low volume kind of niche product like the I three was, but it doesn't scale as well to big volume products like what we have today with I four, I five, I seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I three was really an exotic car.
Speaker 3: It was, and you look at the construction, the fact that had the range extender, it had a heat pump, which at the time was not very common in electro vehicles. So it really had a lot of fantastic technology which we learned a lot from and we learned a lot about how customers use the cars and what they expect, and all that transfers into the future products that we're planning. But of course it didn't make sense to continue with that particular car when we want to scale up into larger volume vehicles and we have such a great tradition and fan base when it comes to our sports sedans that that's the perfect opportunity to expand the BEV offerings is with sports sedans, they have much more potential, and so to do that in a way that looks similar to the combustion engines was a great opportunity, but still utilizing some of those learnings from the I three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it strikes us as really a smart strategy. So you can throttle volume on the ice cars versus the evs with the same model line, the same sort of marketing behind it. Effectively, the EV becomes another powertrain option for the five series, and so what has the model mix been so far.
Speaker 3: It's fairly evenly split between ICE and BEV. I think the ICE actually is a little bit higher, but not too much, which is also, I have to say, a pretty big testament to how good the car is and how well it's being received, because if you look at our overall growth with electric vehicles last quarter, we were up sixty two percent from the same quart of the year before, so there's a lot of growth there. But even still, that was a twelve percent overall BEV mix in the portfolio twelve percent we're in the five series. It's far far higher than that, So it just shows I mean, granted, we don't have electric vehicles in every segment just yet, but it just shows that there is a lot of demand there if you have the right product.
Speaker 2: One of our favorite three Slash four series cars is the I four and that has a lot of the BMW hallmarks in that package. It just feels like a BMW. And BMW's known for that driving soul, that driving you know, engagement, and a huge part of that has been its internal combustion engines, specifically straight sixes. So how do you get that soul. I think you've done it with the I four. How do you get that soul into a big car like the five series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, a number of good points, and the first one, as you mentioned, the inline six, it's iconic. It's got sol interesting to note the current five series generation, the five traditional six cylinder, is only for the US. When we talked about what we're planning and why we plan it, we look at what do we need in the market, and of course a five forty I with a traditional inline six traditional sports today and proportions traditional sports today and BMW lateral dynamics and so forth is super super important, and this was something we fought very hard for to ensure we got it in the US. There's no question from my side, fantastic car, the acoustics that come along with an inline six, the smooth running characteristics of an inline six, I mean, they're undoubted. When it comes to combustion engines, with an electric, of course, things are different, and our engineers have worked incredibly hard on developing the electric drive train as well as the chassis and the dynamics and the steering and the brakes and so forth to ensure that you still have the best overall package. It doesn't sound like an and as it shouldn't, but the engineers have done a great job of giving it its own character and its own sound, and so it does have what we call iconic sounds. And this you can switch on or off depending on what you prefer, and it does give you some acoustics that, let's say, are aligned with the power demand and the power output of the vehicle. I've been driving an I five M sixty every single day for the last six months or so, and one of the things that I realized when I'm driving this is I'm a gearhead. I always have been since I was a little kid. I've owned many M cars and I still have you know, ones on the side and so forth. And despite that, I absolutely love driving the I five M sixty. And what you mentioned about the soul and that character, one thing I noticed was that the other attributes tend to take over a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I actually drive.
Speaker 3: The car despite somebody that likes, you know, loud exhausts and so forth, I actually drive the car in silent mode, and I actually spend more time honing in and paying attention to the characteristics and the steering characteristics and maybe exploiting them a little more than I have in the past as well. So I think it's not that it's a downside. I would just say it's different, right, The soul is different, the characteristics are different, but you still have all of those dynamic characteristics.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: With that in mind, and because of the performance of the I five, especially the M sixty that we drove is so staggering, where does that leave the M five.
Speaker 3: So I am super excited about the M five. I hope my smile says it all. I can't wait for this car. Unfortunately I can't get into all the details. It's a little bit too early, but overall it leaves plenty of room because here we have we have a V eight. It's a plug in hybrid. The power is far beyond what we've seen on the previous M five. Performance is absolutely fantastic. And with an electric vehicle versus a combustion engine or plug in hybrid, it's not just about power output. It's about the overall package, the overall feeling and the emotion that it gives you. And as much as I love my I five sixty, it's not an M five. It's different. It's an M performance vehicle, not a full high performance vehicle like DM five is. So it's something that we're really excited about and it really is a fantastic package.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't wait for that as a former E thirty nine five forty six speed owner. And that's the car for people who don't know the internal product codes. That was built the five series built from nineteen ninety seven to two thousand and three. I'm curious if you've been influenced on some of those classic BMWs, if you've driven those classic five series and M fives.
Speaker 3: So it's funny you mentioned that I love talking about older BMW's and my experiences, and like I said, I'm a gearhead. Even from the time I was a little kid, I would always ask for automotive publications for Christmas, not a new baseball bat or whatever, and read them cover to cover. That was just that was my thing, and that's what led me through engineering and into the auto industry, and throughout all of that. I've always loved driving some of the old cars and being inspired by them in many senses. It's funny you mentioned the E thirty nine because I actually just sold my E thirty nine M five and this car was fantastic.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 3: And one thing we see is that every generation the cars change, and not just about being better or worse, it's that they're different. So the E thirty nine you had the V eight naturally aspirated. Then you had E sixty V ten a V ten with it. You could have it with a manual transmission and it revs to over eight thousand rpm and the sounds it makes at those speeds is absolutely spectacular. And then we went to a twin turbo V eight and so on and so on. So things have evolved quite a lot. And having been in the company for a while and in the industry for a while, you learn a lot from these in terms of what makes people, what gets them excited, what makes them want to buy these cars, and things evolve. Right, So the days of having the naturally aspirated V ten, that's behind us. But we have many other great things coming forward, such as now with the new M five with a V eight twin turbo with electricis cation to support it and just enhance the overall experience. So the short answer is yes. Absolutely. Being a fan of the older cars, we always use them as inspiration as.
Speaker 1: We move forward, what was your first car?
Speaker 3: My first BMW was an E thirty before I worked for BMW. This car was really a lot of fun. I ended up turning it into an autocross car and then took it to the track and so forth. So that was my first BMW. My first ever car was a Volkswagen Karado VR six.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, this car.
Speaker 3: This car was cool. I really enjoyed the car, but as much as I enjoyed it being a front wheel drive car, once I started driving real, real drive cars, I really started to not just appreciate them, but just enjoy driving re real drive cars more. And that's when I started driving BMW's. But yeah, Karado VR six, it was a cool car.
Speaker 1: Not the nerd out a little, but the M twenty in line six, the two point five liter is so characteristically similar to that BR six engine. It's amazing, and even the power everything is so similar to them. So it seems like a natural that you then went into a three twenty five. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually they did make around the same amount of power. They sounded different, but they both sounded excellent.
Speaker 1: They're super smooth, yeah.
Speaker 3: Super smooth, fun to drive.
Speaker 1: That's such a cool first car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really cool. It's one of those cars, you know. I think people say this very often about their first car, like you never should have sold it, just even if you don't drive it anymore, just put it away somewhere. And I feel that way about my first BMW as well. I probably shouldn't have sold it, but I did.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: This is great, John. Thank you so much for your insight and your passion. And keep cranking them out man, Yeah, thank you. That interview was brought to you by eBay Motors. Visit ebaymotors dot com for more.
Speaker 1: Car friends. Today, we examined and drove two cars that are very similar but also incredibly different. We asked ourselves the question electric or gas. Although the I five is quicker and more efficient, the sound of an engine straining and the serial nature of combustion still captivates and delights us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I'm old school. I'll take the five forty every day. And that's what we came here to find out. Which is the better sports seed in The five point forty is just more rewarding. It gives you more feedback, It's more visceral.
Speaker 1: For more on the BMW five forty, I X Drive and I five M sixty. Visit carent driver dot com and be sure to pick up the latest issue of carent Driver magazine.
Speaker 2: Tune in next week where we take you on an insider's tour of Cadillac House in Warren, Michigan. We'll sit down with the team behind the all new Cadillacs Celestic to learn more about its design and engineering.
Speaker 1: And then the center tunnel. We turned the pouches that are about half the width of the car. We turn them ninety degrees and there's two stacks of twelve down the meddown the mount under the center console. Here like a Fiera gas tank. I can't think of a more elegant reference, but yes, I like a Hiera guess. Thank guest.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us on Car and Drivers into Cars. If you enjoyed the show, join us every week for new episodes, and don't forget to rate and review wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: Car Drivers into Cars is produced by Ruby Studio from iHeartMedia in partnership with Car and Driver and hosted by me Tony Kiroga and Eddie Alterman. And visit Carndriver dot com for the latest car reviews and news.
Speaker 2: Our executive producer is Matt Romano. Our EP of Post production is Matt Stillo, along with supervising producer Sierra Kaiser.
Speaker 1: This show was edited by Sierra Spreen special thanks to our location sound recordist Matthew Sisco. Thanks for listening. We'll see you next time.