Speaker 1: What's happening? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome into another edition of Texas All Access Matchup Edition. I'm your host, John Harris, football, ANALST sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. Glad you are with me this evening right here on our wonderful program. And typically it's about this time where we start our Ultimate eleven from the previous week.
Speaker 1: Now, a couple of things with that number one.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would have five plays much eleven to get into an ultimate eleven after what happened last Wednesday with the Baltimore Ravens on Christmas Day that was kind of brutal. Plus it's been a while since that game. So I thought, man, what can I do on this matchup show that we we look back a lot of times and kind of looking ahead at the same time, and so I thought, man, what can I do where I'm looking back at something that'd be kind of cool? And I thought, you know what, It's well, I'm in charge of the show, So I thought, you know what, I know what I'll do.
Speaker 1: This isn't really an ultimate eleven.
Speaker 2: I just felt like, you know what, the season in which the Texas one ANFC south of the second straight year under Damiko Ryans.
Speaker 1: I figured there were a lot of There were a lot of.
Speaker 2: Really good moments in a lot of them, some of my favorite moments. Now, some of these are not always the best play, and some of these might end up being some of my favorite plays in a loss. There have been some close losses in which there were plays in that game where I was like, oh, yeah, that's one of my favorite plays of the year. For example, here's one we'll start right here. My ultimate plays of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, let's put this way. My favorite plays of the year starts against Detroit. On the very first drive.
Speaker 2: Of the game, Jalen Petree jumped up, tipped the Jared Golf pass and it fell into the waiting arm of Jimmy Ward. An interception on the first drive against Jered Goff, who had been mega hot going into this game and has been mega hot ever since.
Speaker 1: But the Texans picked him off two, three, four, five times in this game. That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: It'll be second down and eleven, next snap, thirteen to fifteen to go, first quarter, opening drive of the game. Lions have it driving toward the north end zone. Second and eleven from the Detroit forty one yard line. Gibbs in the backfield golf and the guy to your receivers wife's side.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Here's the snap to GoF looking firing tipped in the air and intercepted. Texans having at the thirty five yard.
Speaker 5: Line of Detroit. Jimmy Ward off the Kram with the pick.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, Jimmy Ward Petree with the tip they work on it daily, and Jimmy Ward with a scoop in the interception that Texans are set up in great field position to operate their first offensive series.
Speaker 3: Here Goff's first interception since Week three.
Speaker 5: What a way to open the game.
Speaker 2: So that's what we're doing. We're doing my favorites. And it can range from plays that happened and loss. It can range to end of game fuel goals like this one against the Buffalo Bills. What an afternoon that was against the Buffalo Bills. Playing the Bills here new kick, A little surprised it happened that way, but it did. Game in which the Texans had a big lead, had a twenty eight to three lead, I believe it was, but the Bills fought back and tied the game at twenty.
Speaker 1: But after the Texans got stopped.
Speaker 2: The Bills an opportunity, but they were backed up deep in their own territory.
Speaker 1: A three and out.
Speaker 2: Kamari Laster knocked down one pass, Will Anderson had packed it another and another one was knocked down.
Speaker 1: The Bills had to punt. They punted, Robert Woods got up. Then CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud hit Darya goombuwalle boom bang a timeout. But you're fifty nine yards away. Fifty nine yards from win over one of the best teams in the league early in the season.
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Kymie Fairburan beats the Bills on the final play of the game.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's not a butt in a seat in this stadium.
Speaker 5: Fifty nine yard a tenth for the win.
Speaker 3: Weeks with the snap, Tommy Townsend with the hold, and Katy Fairbairn with a chance to give the Texans the victory. Here's the snap by Weeks the spot. Here's the kick by fair Baron has the distance and it's good. Fairbar wins it at the buzzer. The Texans beat the Bills fifty nine yards for the dub on each town Day twenty three to twenty.
Speaker 6: It wasn't the prettiest, but it might have been good. From seventy he hit it and it wasn't high. It just was long and accurate.
Speaker 8: The operation ran smoothly fair Baron drove it through the uprights to give the Texans the victory.
Speaker 5: Four and one out of a.
Speaker 3: Year, beating Buffalo and sending a message in the AFC.
Speaker 1: That was a fun afternoon against the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: I don't know, though, if any win in any season can be as sweet as beating the Dallas Cowboys. I mean, beating the Cowboys's fantastic. But it never happened up in Arlington. But the Texans defense was on one that night. In fact, they had so many plays in this particular game.
Speaker 1: One you might hear a little bit later, but one.
Speaker 2: Of my favorite moments in this game was a three sack sequence. Tim Settled, daneil Hunter and Denico Autry sacking Cooper Rush in Arlington at Jerry World, Dallas.
Speaker 5: Right up to the.
Speaker 3: Line, two receivers to the left side, Lamb in the slot, Cooper looking that way, but here comes far big sack by Tim Settle inside the five yard line. Settle does the damage. Third and seven from the Dallas forty nine yard line. Cooper Rush and the gun Dawdle back in the game to his left. Three receivers wifside right. Rush takes the snap. Here's pressure daneil Hunter with another sack back at the forty yard line, his second of the night.
Speaker 9: It's fourth down at sixteen from the.
Speaker 3: Dallas forty one, empty backfield for Cooper Rush.
Speaker 9: Here's the snap.
Speaker 3: Here's the rush by the Texans. Ball comes out, Rush has it still sacked. Big pressure coming through for Denico Autrey getting there first, and the Texans.
Speaker 5: Pounce on fourth down.
Speaker 3: They get the turnover on downs, the pass rush paying off big tonight.
Speaker 2: Now, one other place the Texans won for the very first time was in New England.
Speaker 1: And this play is.
Speaker 2: One of the more physically impressive plays that I think happened all year, and it doesn't really get talked about. It's one of my favorites because it's one of my favorite guys on this team, and that's Eric Murray.
Speaker 1: Eric Murray came here during the bleep. You know what I'm talking about. It was tough coming here.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty, Texans has just won the AFC South two years in a Row comes here in twenty twenty, sounds a big contract.
Speaker 1: Everybody's expecting huge things.
Speaker 2: Dont always go exactly the way that everybody thought it was going to. So Eric Murray took a lot of heat and I always loved there because he always stood up to it. He always came in this studio. He talked about playing for this team and he has been through it. He's one of very few guys that have been through it for this team. But he has well. Against New England. Will Anderson was on one that day. Willy Anderson tipped at Drake May pass. Eric Murray saw it, but he was shielded by a tight end from the Patriots. Actually was trying to block him, so I think it was Austin Hooper. So Hooper's blocking him and Murray sees the ball and he's like, I gotta get this thing. Reached out with one handcut and snatched it, pulled it into his body and came up with one of four turnovers against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite plays of the year.
Speaker 3: First down Patriots at their twenty two one back Gibson, here's May and the gun floats the ball up side. It's tipped in Eric centercepted let Texans have it at the.
Speaker 5: Twenty six yard lines. Who came down with it off the deflection Eric Murray. Liberation ensues and the tip ball and a pick.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I love when guys go through adversity and come out the other side successful. And the guy that had some adversity hit him in twenty twenty three was Damian Pierce. And then Joe Mixon comes here to Houston. Everybody's like, Okay, what is what's Damien gonna do this year? You know, how is he gonna fit in all this kind of stuff? Well, he showed in New England and he's ready to fit in extremely well. I wish I could play you, because I don't think I have it anymore. My reaction. Our engineer on the road, Aaron Rabel, records me throughout the game in case I have a reaction like the one I had when Damian Pierce won fifty four yards for a touchdown against the Patriots.
Speaker 3: First down Texans at the Houston forty six o'clock at eight minutes to go, thirteen point lead. Here's a tossed up Piers running right Pierce across the fifty Piers prices up tack on forty five forty right sideline the thirty twenty fifteen ten five rock and roll. He's got the touchdown. Damian peers to the house.
Speaker 1: That was fun. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: That Patriots win came a week after the Texans had beaten Jacksonville at home, and for a long time in that Jacksonville game, boy, it did not feel like it was going to happen. But Daria Goombalwalles showed up on that day with two of my favorite plays because ad involves dary Be. He's one of my favorite players I've ever had in this organization.
Speaker 5: And c or three.
Speaker 1: These were huge plays.
Speaker 2: The first a huge third down catch for thirty one yards to keep a scoring drive alive.
Speaker 3: Third down at eighteen from the Houston thirty three yard line.
Speaker 9: CJ in the gun, one back, Daria gon Bwana.
Speaker 7: How you pick this up?
Speaker 3: Here's the snap, here's CJ stepping up, and now he's got a duff the Tadari but he's got somewhere in forty five punting inside fifteen forty five up Jacksonville to forty of down inside thirty five yards line. Dor tunt it again, big play into Jack's territory to the thirty six.
Speaker 1: But Daria saved his best for last when CJ.
Speaker 2: Stodd hit him with a one yard touchdown to give the Texans a win over Jacksonville in Week four at home, Daria Goomblewalle to the.
Speaker 3: Rescue, second in goal, digs to the right side.
Speaker 7: You gotta have.
Speaker 5: OFFSETI CJ rolls after the right first to the end zone. HiT's Dorey. As the Texans score, they lead. CJ. Stroud tatari a who's had a huge game. What's the Texans on top?
Speaker 2: But maybe the favorite Darya Goombwalle play of twenty twenty four, Maybe it's upcoming. Who knows, but I think it's probably right here. I love those plays against Jacksonville. He was named one of the Offensive Players of the game for that win in Week four. But maybe the play peep board can remember the most happened against the Miami Dolphins December fifteenth, twenty twenty four. I remember that day like the back of my hand. It is my anniversary and on my twenty ninth year marriage with my wonderful wife Page Harris, Daria Goombwalle took off running down the right side with a fake punt and it's also one of my favorite plays of the.
Speaker 10: Year field rob Otherwise he's running to the end. So cats that on the run and it's deep in their territory and it's a fake and running around the right side darre forty thirty five thirty twenty fifteen and ripped out at the ten.
Speaker 5: The ball comes out. Oh no, he may be down. He was down.
Speaker 3: I think the Dolphins say they have it. There's a big straw.
Speaker 6: I don't know now looking at the replay team after renew a runner was.
Speaker 7: Down by contact.
Speaker 5: Who's way down?
Speaker 2: Okay, It's been a long season, there's no doubt about that. It started Week one up in Indianapolis on the road where it had happened in Week eighteen, twenty twenty three. The Colts were gonna get revenge all this kind of stuff. Well, the Colts trailed the Texans twenty nine to twenty seven. When the Texas got the ball looking to round the clock, but they needed a first down and looking at third and eleven, it didn't look good until one of my favorite, one of my favorite throws and catches of the season from all the way back in Week one took place right Here CJ. Stroud found Nico Collins on the sideline for a massive catch and another CJ to Nico.
Speaker 1: Knife in the heart of the Colts.
Speaker 3: Third down and eleven from the Houston twenty nine yard line.
Speaker 5: CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud shotgun darre to his right, Dell in motion to the left, crowd deafening.
Speaker 9: Here's the snap.
Speaker 3: CJ looking firing right sideline and Nico Collins.
Speaker 5: With the catch.
Speaker 3: He gets the feet down for a first down at the forty one.
Speaker 6: You got another bad spot mark. The spot is tricky. It's right at the forty. You gotta look at this, which is exactly where they needed to get to, and there may be they may measure this.
Speaker 1: They didn't even have to Dre.
Speaker 2: They went up and reviewed it and found that he had gotten well beyond the sticks.
Speaker 1: And that got the Texans to one in zher on the season and.
Speaker 2: They would stay hot the next week when they took on the Chicago Bears, and it was a defensive performance.
Speaker 1: Jalen Peatree dropping hit sticks on everybody.
Speaker 3: First down from the Chicago thirty bunch formation right, Caleb Williams and the gun with one back swift.
Speaker 5: Here's the snap. Here's the pastor.
Speaker 3: Swift Eddi's knocked down by Peatree with a blast of the backfield.
Speaker 6: What record mission by Petrie recognized the formation and played fast and as soon as the ball hit the fingertips of Swift, P three was there. Man, is he having a good year?
Speaker 5: That's a Stafford stick.
Speaker 2: It was also in that game where one Derek Stingley Junior came up with one of his five interceptions on the season.
Speaker 3: Third down of sixteen from the Bears forty Williams and the Guns back to pass fires.
Speaker 5: Left sideline and intercept it.
Speaker 3: Stingley's got it the Texans with the takeaway.
Speaker 9: Derek Stinglee Junior, He's at it again.
Speaker 2: Oh, the interceptions didn't stop at all for Derek Stingley Junior. He put on an absolute show in week fifteen against Miami with not one, but two brilliant fourth quarter interceptions. Oh these two I could see. I just I visualize him right now. Sting with two third.
Speaker 3: Down and five at the Houston twenty Tua in the gun.
Speaker 7: Here's the snap to.
Speaker 3: A quick fire right side and intercepted by Stanley. He's got it across the fifteen and wrestled at a bounds by Hill Derek Stingley Junior the ied team.
Speaker 5: He turns back Miami.
Speaker 3: What a takeaway for the Texans. They've got the rocket at twenty to twelve lead with ten twenty six to go. In the fourth from the Dolphin twenty three first and tent Tua takes the snap. Tua with pressure, throwing Tamfield to his right and intercepted Stanley again. That's gonna do it. The Texans are gonna beat Miami. Stingley's second pick seals took to youal and Houston will get its ninth win.
Speaker 7: Teams are going to stop throwing to Stingley side.
Speaker 6: He was stepped for step and arguably the fastest player in the NFL and came up with yet another interception.
Speaker 2: Y'all know as well as I do. Beat Miami's great its awesome. Beating Dallas is that much better. And sting had a big interception in that game as well.
Speaker 3: Third and eight at the Houston forty one rush shotgun. Here's the snap rush looking throwing the left side. It's piked off. Here's Derek Stingley Junior taking it to his right to the sideline, turning it upfield and turning it out of bounds, the sting pick.
Speaker 2: That was the night when national media, national people really started paying attention to Derek Stingley, and they should have been all along. But you know, look, sauce has been pretty good. But Derek Stingley was absolutely phenomenal, phenomenal in this season, so so very good. So has Nico Collins. Now, this play is both one of my favorites and one of my least favorites of the year, Like it's up there one of my most favorite because it's one of my favorite things in football.
Speaker 1: For a long time, I.
Speaker 2: Used to love big hits, big smashes, your collisions and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I used to love those I love.
Speaker 2: I still love physical play, but I've gotten to wear the long ball, the bomb. Watching CJ link up with Nico or whomever deep I love it so Week eighteen, that throw the Colt against the Colts, I could watch it all day, just as I could watch this one against Buffalo. Needing a play to open things up, CJ found Nico sixty seven yards down the field. We all rejoiced until we saw Nico Poole's hamstring. But this play, just on its own, one of my favors of the year.
Speaker 3: First down Texans to begin this possession at the Houston thirty three scrab fits the toss, he has time in the pocket, He's gonna gun it long and Nico Collins is there at the fifteen ten five fucking roll touchdown, Eah Town.
Speaker 5: Loved bomb from Stroud to Collins.
Speaker 7: I know someone would have a chance to come up with one. I thought it would be Tank Dale. It's not.
Speaker 6: It's mister consistency, mister leading the NFL and receiving yards neat Gold College.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful play as he faked the toss to his left and had enough time to get the ball off to As you said, Dre, the NFL's leader in receiving yards and that number is not going to be hurting after today.
Speaker 9: Leads by over one hundred coming into the day's action.
Speaker 2: Dude has been absolutely phenomenal in twenty twenty four, just like he was in twenty twenty three. His biggest night was probably against the Chicago Bears. One of my favorite moments of the entire season. So right at the end of the first quarter against the Bears, Tyreek Stevenson, who we learned doesn't.
Speaker 1: Do real well. Hill Mary's.
Speaker 2: But he's also kind of this hot blooded, vowel otle kind of guy. Well, he took his finger and he basically smushed Nico Collins right in the face. Well, Nico's luck would have it, responded, got a fifteen yard penalty.
Speaker 1: It was right at the end of the first quarter.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget Texas were down in the red zone and Nico got that penalty.
Speaker 1: And I could just.
Speaker 2: See Nico stewing like he couldn't believe that Tyreek Stevenson had gotten to him.
Speaker 1: Couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: So it's first in twenty five, the very first play of the second quarter, CJ threw a diamond and Eico and Nico just started running over everybody in the Chicago secondary and he made Jalen Johnson pay for one to tackle in the en zone. This is one of my favorite plays all year long. Right here, CJ to Nico against the Bears in Week two.
Speaker 9: Stratama gun on second and twenty four.
Speaker 3: Here's the snap CJ looking, CJ firing downfield, hits Nico ten five to the end zone, touchdown.
Speaker 5: Houston a flag on the play.
Speaker 6: That's weight room right there, baby.
Speaker 9: What let's see what this penalty is effort.
Speaker 7: What an effort? After the catch?
Speaker 5: All right? Nico Collins his way in.
Speaker 3: The first TD of the home portion of the season, Nico Collins brought about the fifteen yard in fraction, said I got this and CJ fed.
Speaker 5: On the rock.
Speaker 6: That's that's how you make up for it, coach. I'll be right back, yep, my apologies. Let me go take care of something.
Speaker 2: A little later in that game, as the Texas were trying to score near the end of the first half, CJ threw a ball towards the Texans sideline and I was convinced. I mean, I get blocked a lot of times on throws to the Texans sideline. I could just see Nico go up for the ball on the sideline, but I had no clue whether he had actually come down and bounds.
Speaker 1: I couldn't see where it was. And then I saw it on the reflaim like that.
Speaker 2: Dude just snagged one one hand and got both feet and bounds. That's one of the best catches of the year, and it's one of my favorite moments of the year.
Speaker 3: Second in Tenothy Houston forty eight, CJ shotgun darn to his right CJ takes the snap, scrambles out to the right, surveying the field, throwing, and Catnico one handed gravels at the house thirty seven yard lot of Chicago.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: I mean what?
Speaker 2: That was unbelievable, Absolutely unbelievable with that catch against Chicago. Now we've got a lot of really good wins this year. Probably the favorite for a lot of people would be the Dallas game. Maybe the second favorite would end up being the win against the New England Patriots in Foxborough for the first time and one of the keys. One of my favorite plays of the year, the Neil Hunter strip sack at the beginning of the second half of Drake.
Speaker 3: May Tata, We're close. Stop calling defensive signals. May.
Speaker 9: He gets to snap, He's got a little time and now he sacked.
Speaker 5: The ball is out.
Speaker 3: Hunter got it out and Edwards recovers at the ten yard line, strip sack.
Speaker 7: Drake May is still down.
Speaker 2: Now that play becomes a footnote. Really if the next play, I don't know is the next play. I think it was a couple of plays later, but it happened really quickly as CJ. Stroud hit Stefon Diggs for a touchdown I put the Texans up twenty one to seven. They would be off on a forty one to twenty one win over to New England Patriots.
Speaker 3: Second to goal from the ten offset I formation digs to the right side and the pistol as CJ's between.
Speaker 7: The eye bakes.
Speaker 5: The game proves to the end zone.
Speaker 3: Hit stefive digs touchdown Houston A bullet to Stefan.
Speaker 2: But that day was about Will Anderson Junior, not one, not to a three sacks of the day. You heard the tip pass a little bit earlier that Eric Murray intercepted. He was on one that day for show.
Speaker 3: Third and ten from the New England forty. Here's the snap, here's Will Anderson.
Speaker 5: Junior bring it down.
Speaker 3: My quarterback came around the end and sacked Drake May.
Speaker 2: Indianapolis Colts came to Houston for Week eight, and that was a tough one. I mean, that was a tough ballgame. Lost Steph in that game that really really stung. But there was a moment right before half when this thing really went the Texans direction.
Speaker 1: The cult were backed up third.
Speaker 2: Down, Anthony Richardson changed the plate at the line of scrimmage and then He did this.
Speaker 3: Third down in three thirty four seconds to go in a half ten to ten game. They'll snap it from the Indy twelve yard line. Richards an empty backfield. He's in the gun. Here's the snap, Richardson looking, firing right side.
Speaker 5: It's picked off by Petree.
Speaker 3: Petree running across the ten to his wife Arnie, stacked up inside the eight yard line. Richardson coughs it up Jail and Petree with the I NT first in gold Houston.
Speaker 2: Jim Bob Cooter may be on the market, and the Texans answered right away as CJ. Stroud found Tank Dell to take a send point lead right before half.
Speaker 3: Strad of the gun first and goal at the seven to one back mixing bunch formation rights CJ to throw looking looking.
Speaker 9: CJ steps up, fires light side of the end zone.
Speaker 4: Yes, suck touchdown Houston, Tank Dell. The Texans take the lead. It is homecoming weekend for the University of Houston. Only proper that Tank put one in the end zone.
Speaker 9: Dell with the TV catch and just like that the Texans.
Speaker 5: He'll back in front of Indy. The week prior was.
Speaker 2: The gut punch lost to the Green Bay Packers, but that thing could not have started any better. After the Packers had got the first down, Jordan Love went back to pass and that man Jalen Petrie almost had another.
Speaker 1: Interception, but instead.
Speaker 2: He tipped it and Neville hewittt playing for a ziz al Shire who's banged up, gets the interception and nearly took it to the house.
Speaker 3: Crafted the tight end in Jacob's lineup short side left, three receivers, wide side right, empty backfield. Here on third and three at the fifty, Love looks it over Hanson close to the line. Love takes the snap, fires and it's picked off Hewitt to his left forty thirty twenty cutting inside the twenty of Green Bay and Neville's got the ball inside the fifteen.
Speaker 5: Yard line on the pick.
Speaker 2: Interceptions all around for everybody this year, including the two rookies Kaylen Bullock and Kamari Lassiter. Kaylin against the New England Patriots came up with one and nearly took this one house. I after the game had a chance to talk to him. I said, dude, if you run to the sideline, you take that thing the house.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 2: I know I could have outrun Drake May, but he didn't. But still Kaylen Bullock interception in New England. Absolutely love seeing it from the rookie.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go, third down and three Patriots from their thirty seven yard line. May and the gun won back Gibson motioned to the right side by Douglas. Two receivers to each side. Now Texan's loading up at the line. May gets to snap. He's got a little time, He's gonna gun it long downfield and it's intercepted. Bullock running to his left forty five forty thirty five thirty trying to find extra room and he's down inside the twenty seven yard line.
Speaker 5: Kaylen Bullock with the I t his second of the year.
Speaker 2: Now against Miami. Kaylen had one right in his hands.
Speaker 1: I thought it was going for a pick six.
Speaker 2: I mean right in his hands, Like dang it, man, you'll get that opportunity very often. And then a few plays later he did get the opportunity. Kylen Bullock nearly took this one from two all the way to the house to.
Speaker 5: What thinkes the toss looking firing over the middle and it.
Speaker 3: Set our septic Durdy's Bullock to his left forty fifty to the sideline, shot out of a cannon thirty twenty fifteen to ten and wrestled out inside the ten e catch head run kiln Bullock one sick.
Speaker 6: You still have thirteen seconds left, so no harm, no foul on the fumble.
Speaker 7: Now the Texans setup shop.
Speaker 6: With two timeouts and thirteen seconds, you can go to the end zone a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Here now is pal Kamari Lasser has been all kinds of good this year. He's had a few interceptions, but the play I think I'm gonna remember about Kamari is one of my favorites. It actually happened in the loss of Baltimore, and I know there wasn't a whole lot that went right about that lost to Baltimore other than Kamari Lassiter making a play in the end zone to tackle Big Derrick Henry for a safety. Yeah, the Texans got punished that night, But for Kamari lass to come up and make that play and stuff Derrick Henry in the end zone for two points. I'll remember that play for a long long time and it still will be one of my favorites of his career.
Speaker 3: Baltimore up ten nothing, ten to fifteen to go in the second Here are the Ravens up there, four yards on Derrick Henry and Lamar Jackson in the Ravens end zone.
Speaker 9: Set to go to work. Hand on Henry running to the left.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be propped out for a safety lasting or off the.
Speaker 5: Edge the Texans store produce.
Speaker 1: But my goodness, I haven't forgotten about him. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Joe Mixon in twenty twenty four started in Week one when the Texas needed to close it out against Indianapolis Colts on a third down, could they do it?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, they could.
Speaker 5: My first down, Let's you walk out of here with a win.
Speaker 3: Third down and three from the Houston forty eight I formation, Collins in motion into the right mix in the tailback, Stroud digs in.
Speaker 9: Here's the snap. Here's the toss to Mixon running right.
Speaker 3: Across the fifty forty five, tackled by Cross at the forty one check bit.
Speaker 5: That'll do it.
Speaker 3: The Texans will beat the Colts on opening day.
Speaker 1: But in the Chicago game, Joe got hurt and he missed some time.
Speaker 2: It's really the first time that he had missed in the last I don't know, four five years. But he came back for New England and had the longest run of the year against the Patriots.
Speaker 5: Stroud under center.
Speaker 3: First down Texans at the Houston nineteen yard line.
Speaker 9: One back, it's mixing and Mixon.
Speaker 5: Shut out of a cabin left side.
Speaker 3: It's twenty five thirty thirty five, forty fifty left sideline the forty of New England.
Speaker 5: Could he do it the thirty and he's tripped up inside the twenty yard line. Welcome Mixon? What are run deep into New England territory?
Speaker 7: Welcome back. Joe Mixon is.
Speaker 1: An absolute stud against Dallas.
Speaker 2: In the first play of the game, Nico Collins took one seventy five yards to the house, but penalty called it back.
Speaker 1: So Texans got a little drive going.
Speaker 2: CJ hit a couple passes, it met you for a first down, tank for first down, and then forty five yards away. Joe Mixon said, now, no, no, I got it.
Speaker 1: I got it. Guys give it.
Speaker 2: To me, and they did, and he housed it from forty five yards out.
Speaker 9: At the forty five yard line of Dallas.
Speaker 3: First and ten handoff, Mixon starts white, cuts back left, has room thirty twenty five, twenty fifteen to ten five rock and roll touchdown Joe Mixon and no flanks forty five yard TV run Monday Night, Mixon, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I had so many different plays of Joe's I mean Week seven at Green Bay, I would contend this play was probably the best executed run all year long.
Speaker 1: The blocks were.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, everything was right, and Joe walked into the end zone and really put the pressure on Green Bay.
Speaker 3: At Lambeau, Nixon and the Mackfield strout of the guns, second down and lest of the yard inside the two CJ hands off to Joe running to the left, Joe across the goal.
Speaker 5: Line, touchdown Houston. Joe mix in for six.
Speaker 7: When he Lambeau leaps into one.
Speaker 6: Of the few Texans fans that are on the front row.
Speaker 2: But my favorite play of the year has got to be this one from Arlington. Derek Barnett scoop and score after he created the first.
Speaker 1: Fumble on this play. Y'all remember it.
Speaker 3: Take a listen second and six for Dallas from their forty cooper rush with daddle to his left, bunch formation, light after motion rush in trouble, scrip sack, who's got it? It's still loose Texas kick it off here's Barnett on the run twenty fifteen ten to five touchdown scoop score.
Speaker 6: Derek Barnett, Tyler Guiden, thank you very very much. Does he picked up the stripsacks and tried to run Petree with a great play to disengage the ball from Guiden and it's Barnett that picks it up and puts it in the end zone.
Speaker 3: Boy, want to hit by Petrie to jar that ball loose Barnett with the line to the end zone.
Speaker 1: Man, it was a great listen. Hopefully there'll be more to it.
Speaker 2: We got Week eighteen against the Titans, We've got playoff games hopefully plural.
Speaker 1: Maybe there'll be more to add to my favorite list.
Speaker 2: My favorite things Leslie Odom Junior one of my favorite Christmas songs. My favorite things right there from the Texans season twenty twenty four. All right, we get back. Texans All Access Matchup Edition will run around the league in Week seventeen. Man, there were a couple of nail biers and incredible football games in the NFL. We'll do that next right here on Texans All Access Matchup Edition. Welcome back to Texans All Access Matchup Edition. I am your host John Harris football on a sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. It's time to take a look at the big games that happened this weekend in the NFL Week seventeen. And there was no game, no game as good as the one we saw on Saturday afternoon at pay Court Stadium when.
Speaker 1: The Broncos took on the Bengals.
Speaker 2: And it started easily enough with the Bengals Joe Burrow hitting T Higgins to give the Bengals a seven to three lead.
Speaker 11: Jamar Chase motion left to right, Burrow out of a gun second in goal from the two. It's been half past half. Run of the drive. Higgins motion far right to near left, Burrow high snap locked left side.
Speaker 5: He throws n z o T.
Speaker 12: Higgins touchdown.
Speaker 11: Higgins brings in his eighth score of the season, the first TD of the day.
Speaker 5: It's six ' three.
Speaker 11: Cincinnati one forty nine ago until halftime.
Speaker 13: You know, once again, sometimes you just gotta go to the favorable matchup. Do you want to keep shoving the ball in the direction of Jamar Chase when he's got Sir Tam covering him over you or you end up taking the quick slant route of t Higgins with Jakwan McMillan over the top of him, and t Higgins is able to win immediately coming off the line of scrimmage out of the slot, finds that opening in the middle of the end zone and Burrow hits him.
Speaker 2: But Bo Nicks, the rookie quarterback from Auburn Slash Oregon, was not to be denied to this day. He was absolutely fantastic. He found Courtland Sutton to tie the game at ten bow. Nick's the rookie for Denver.
Speaker 11: Win.
Speaker 7: You're in.
Speaker 11: They're looking for a ten win campaign in their first postseason presence since twenty fifth team where they won Super Bowl fifty. Knicks out of the gun here Bunch trips left, single back right, second and goal from the six. Estima is in a running back. He goes out wide. Bengals show big blitz near side. The blitz comes a lob right, Sutton.
Speaker 12: Wide open on the back pedal. Touchdown Denver the first TV of the day for the prontc Gos knicks to Sutton from six yards out and an extra point away from a tie game. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Now, Sutton brings in his team leading seven touchdown of the year, and now the point after from Will lux Is, he got the separation of Josh Newton.
Speaker 13: Now, we talk so much in this game about Sutton just not able to get going, but that time, after having eight runs on that drive, kind of lulling this defense to sleep. They get Sutton coming off the inside slot, creates a lot of room out in the corner route, in the fade route, and a perfect throw from bow Knicks for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: But in Cincinnati, there's always questions about what they're gonna do with Tia this offseason. But my goodness, he showed everybody in Cincinnati what it should look like that he should stay as Joe.
Speaker 1: Burrow hit him.
Speaker 2: He gave the Bengals a seventeen to ten lead, this one from twelve yards out.
Speaker 11: Under twelve minutes, fourth quarter, tied to ten. Eleventh play of the drive. Four of the bengals five drives have seen double digit plays. Bunch trips left, Higgins by himself wide right now motion, Jamar Chase joins him, right side, Burrow out of the gun, Chase brown sidecar right, clean snap playfake. Burrow steps up, pats the ball, lop right corner for Higgins goes up two heads, gets two.
Speaker 5: Feet in touchdown Cincinnati the toe tap tight to the white head.
Speaker 12: At sixteen to ten Cincinnati eleven thirty three to go him.
Speaker 5: A fourth to twelve yard store.
Speaker 13: I mean, that was such a beautiful play from T Higgins because John what he did is he ended up lulling the defense to sleep. He ends up having Riley Moss in coverage, but he doesn't put his hands up in the air until the exact last second, so Riley Moss doesn't think the football's coming. And then the location of the throw from Burrow high and outside, so only T Higgins can make a play on the football.
Speaker 2: But these two teams were dropping haymakers like this one. Bo Nick's rolled right, threw back left, and when he threw it, I was like, man, I think he maybe threw that out of the en zone.
Speaker 1: Who's he throwing at?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Marvin Mims is wide open this tidy At seventeen.
Speaker 11: They show split backfield and then push Michael Burton, the full back ount wide right. He's matched up with corner Josh Newton. He plays soft Nicks out of the gun. Here's the playfake. Nick's on the roll loads up, but.
Speaker 6: D pave over the middle for Man's in.
Speaker 5: The end zone touch down Denver. On beautiful rainbow.
Speaker 12: The rookie steps into it and launches for fifty one, an extra point away from a tight game.
Speaker 13: Well, John, there is the shot down and they end up catching. Marvin Min's a second year player out of Oklahoma. He's lined up in the slot. He basically just runs a skinny post. But it's bone Knicks throwing just the absolute tight spiral and the protection. As Cincinnati only ends up rushing three, just drops an absolute dime in stride to Mims in the middle of the end zone for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: That's the prettiest play of the day.
Speaker 2: After Joe Burrow snuck it in from one yard out. You could argue with the game management thing.
Speaker 1: Like I did.
Speaker 2: The Broncos took the ball under two minutes and drove it down to the twenty five yard line. It was there that Bonnicks looked for another receiver, Well, maybe a different receiver. Well, no throw out the Marvin Mimms. He'll make a catch and it tied the game at twenty four.
Speaker 11: Denver break shuddle, no timeouts, fourteen seconds. It's twenty four to seventeen Cincinnati, Denver fourth and one of the Cincinnati twenty five A safety.
Speaker 1: Back at the five yard line.
Speaker 11: Did you stone shotgun step Nick's fads back, He's pressured, he rolls to his right.
Speaker 5: He throws to the.
Speaker 12: End zone, the Mims up in the air with two Bengals touchdown on fourth and one, twenty five yards to Mims. And now do they go for two and try to search ahead with eight seconds left?
Speaker 5: A killer throw and catch.
Speaker 2: So Buddy John Sadak on the call. Now at that moment, Sean Pade put up two fingers.
Speaker 1: He thought about it. After they reviewed.
Speaker 2: It and the play stood, he said, no, no, no, it's kick the extra point. They did, tied the game at twenty fourty win in overtime, couple of series no go for either side. Kade York then comes in to kick a field one overtime to give the Bengals a win, and he missed it.
Speaker 1: But there's still time and the Bengals gotta stop.
Speaker 2: Got the ball back and this time Joe Burrow said, nanah, friends, I got this and found t Higgins again to win the game thirty to twenty four in overtime.
Speaker 11: Burrow out of the gun one fourteen o clock frozen it overtime, tied at twenty four, score and win.
Speaker 5: Blitzes on. Burrow feels it.
Speaker 12: He steps up, He launches deep down the left side and is cut.
Speaker 1: The bounds of a left sideline.
Speaker 12: Te Higgins he got all the way down to the free. That's a kain of thirty one. Haggins having himself a day, beats double coverage.
Speaker 2: Again and that kept the Bengals alive in the race to get to the playoffs. And man, Joe Burrow was stupid good. Everybody in NFC is like, do not let them in the playoffs. Thirty nine to forty nine, four and twelve yards, three tuddies. T Higgins caught all them tuddies, eleven receptions, one hundred and thirty one yards. What a football game that was? Id Moore fou watching that game? Man, Holy cow moved eight and eight. Broncos can still get in the playoffs, will win against Kansas City. But Kansas City is gonna play mostly backups in that game. Apparently Apparently you don't know for sure, but it does look like that is the case. Okay, your run around Week seventeen was just that game. The other game's good, not great, but I figured that was the game of the day and the game of the weekend. Honestly, everything else kind of blowouts. Bills beat the Jets forty to fourteen. You had the Buccaneers beat the Panthers forty eight to fourteen, Eagles beat the Cowboys forty one to seven, and then the Kude grav The Giants beat the Colts forty five to thirty three. The Dolphins beat the Browns twenty to three with snoopont Ley at quarterback. Now, the Commanders did have a game against the Falcons. That's controversy at the end. Don't really know what Raheem Morris was taking. Call you timeout, coach, as the Commanders seal the playoff spot and gave the Buccaneers the lead back in the NFC South. So it was a wild weekend there in the NFL. As always, now, the Titans are up on the schedule. The last time we played in Nashville, it was pretty special because in overtime one of the legends of Houston football rose up and made a play.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you who that was.
Speaker 2: How it went next on Texans All Access Matchup Edition, What's Up and Everybody, we go one final segment of this edition of Texans All Access Matchup Edition. Appreciate you being with me, John Harris, Footballantalles sideline reporter for your Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: Going to Nashville for Week eighteen.
Speaker 2: Now, I've been in Nashville for some pretty awesome wins, a couple of gut punch losses. Twenty seven team is a gut punch loss. Twenty twenty the COVID year. Oh that game just sticks in my craw for a number of reasons. But I digress, But twenty twenty will be one that I always remember. In that game, if you remember, the Titans wore the Columbia Blue Oilers jerseys. It was the first time they had ever worn them against the Texans, and they decided to bring him out that day. They won them earlier in the year against the Falcons, Will Levis threw four touchdowns and they felt like, hey man, he's a good luck let's do it. But they were gonna wear him against the Houston Texans, and early in the game, the other Titans had all the momentum, all the momentum, Elijah Molden took one to the house. They were up thirteen to nothing, but the Texans clawed back kicked a couple of field goals. After a couple of good offensive drives, defense started dominating, and it was late in the game when the Texans got a drive going led by University of Houston football legend Houston Texans legend Case Keenum. Late in the game, getting near the red zone, Case made a throw that as I see him throw it, I'm thinking, oh God, this game is over. That ball is picked off. Roger mccrery's gonna steal it and we're done. But Dalton Schultz came to the rescue with one of the catches of the year to keep this drive at thirteen to six, a much needed drive alive.
Speaker 3: Two receivers to the left, stacked second and ten at the Tennessee eighteen. Kingum under center, woods and motion of the right. Ketum fakes the flip. Kingum plants he's got time to throw, and he throws over the middle and Dalton Schultz has it inside the five yard litch. Somehow he comes down with the ball in traffic.
Speaker 5: First the goal.
Speaker 6: He took the ball away from Trey Avery.
Speaker 7: That's just a McCrary. I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: He just wanted it more than the Tennessee defender. He just reached in, grabbed it, took it away.
Speaker 1: Stats that thing away. Wow, that kept the Drive alive.
Speaker 2: The Texas still needed to score a touchdown to tie this thing and send it to overtime. And then Keenum did ghet Noah Brown for the touchdown to tie it at thirteen.
Speaker 3: End zone to our right, crowd wrapping it up. Tenth player of the Drive. Texans got closer ten seconds on the play clock. They get out of the huddle, third and goal at the three. Keenum and the Guns Singletary in the backfield with them. Schultz motioning to the left, Kingum to throw. Kingum scrambling to the right, throws to the end zone. God touchdown Houston Noah Brown three yard TV pass that.
Speaker 1: Put the game in overtime.
Speaker 2: But neither team could really do much in overtime until there was under two minutes left and Case Keenum had the ball in his hands with just enough time to go get a win.
Speaker 3: One forty three to go in overtime, two timeouts for the Texans. Case Kingum shotgun first down Texans at the Houston twenty motor in the backfield.
Speaker 5: Case puts the leg down. Kingum to throw.
Speaker 3: Keenum pocket collapsing, scrambles to the right, Keenum floats.
Speaker 5: The ball downfield. He's got a man motor across the fifty forty right.
Speaker 3: Sideline, well in the Titan territory on the bounds at the thirty eight yard line.
Speaker 5: Big play the Singletary.
Speaker 2: And a few seconds later, on the last play of the overtime, Kimi fairbearon won.
Speaker 3: It sixteen sixteen, two seconds to go in overtime, fifty four yard attep left hash mark.
Speaker 5: Here's the snap, here's the spot.
Speaker 3: Here's the kick by fairbaresd the Texans win. Legendary fair Bear knocks it through from thirty four as.
Speaker 5: The Texans defeat the Farmer Oilers. Put those uniforms back in the trunk.
Speaker 2: My favorite one ever. Put those uniforms back in a trunk. And well, we're gonna have to pack up this show because we're done, and I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. We'll see next time and as always, go Texans.