Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe, Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong, and Jettie I know he Armstrong and Yetty. Everybody's conservative.
Speaker 3: We believe in limited government, and we believe in individual freedom and the rule of law and peace through strength and fis responsibility and free markets and human dignity, the things that are all wrapped into this bill.
Speaker 2: Who is that and what year was that?
Speaker 1: That's Mike Johnson pretending that this bill is responsible and conservative.
Speaker 4: Was that in nineteen seventy eight? Is the Republican Speaker of the House talking about legislation?
Speaker 2: Play that again.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of words there at the beginning. I don't know the definition of everybody's conservative.
Speaker 3: We believe in limited government, and we believe in individual freedom and the rule of law.
Speaker 2: That's a new strength.
Speaker 4: What's what the conservative and limited government? I want to hear your definitions of conservative and limited government, which Mike Johnson might be conservative and he might believe in limited government, but the bill you just passed does not.
Speaker 1: It is not an example of that. No, doesn't represent those principles at all. I guess what a beautiful bill, or as I'd prefer to call it, the ridiculous rotten retreat.
Speaker 4: BBW. No, that's a different thing, BBB. That's what that's what passed last night, the big beautiful bill. And it happened in the middle of the night. And here's here's a Fox reporter with a little bit of what's in it.
Speaker 5: What's in this bill.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 5: It makes permanent those Trump twenty seventeen tax cuts, no taxes on tips, no taxes on overtime border security. They went after waste, fraud and abuse to make up for all that loss, and revenue reforms to medicate worker requirements and medicate start in twenty twenty six. That's a huge win for those holdouts. Increase is in state and local tax deduction caps that goes from ten thousand to forty thousand. That's a big win for Republicans and those high tax blue states. And it also raises a debt ceiling by four trillion. Treasury Secretary Scott Besson has to be breathing a sigh of relief this morning.
Speaker 4: It's not at all not true what she just said. In fact, it's one hundred percent true. But for the reporter, on Fox to let you know about the big beautiful bill and say it's a win for those Republicans and blue states. Right after they played by the way, it wasn't just us, they played Mike Johnson saying it's a win.
Speaker 2: For fiscal conservatives.
Speaker 4: There's nothing that could be less conservative than that salt deduction portion of the bill.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's it's just ridiculous. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I despise it. It's indefensible. We actually got one email saying, guys, I disagree. Yeah, here's a conservative defense of the salt degreement. As a conservative, we want smaller federal government and more power in the hands of the state and local governments that have a greater and more direct impact on our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've said that a million times.
Speaker 1: By deducting our local taxes from our burden of the federal government, we're taking power away from that centralized dentity, because money really is power in this case of no other chugging off the revenue stream, and theory with a fiscally responsible administration for its federal government to work within its means, well, that would be lovely.
Speaker 2: If that's Oh, I'd.
Speaker 1: Rather fight locally for what I believe and direct where my money goes than try to push the giant flacid rope that is Washington d C. I appreciate the imagery. I yeah, I don't like the word flacid. Get over it. So the problem with your argument, though, is that that empowers the most egregiously wasteful states. California is not spending the money in the way that you reference there, sir.
Speaker 2: That's the way you're in the way you're describing.
Speaker 1: It's squandering it on handouts to Crony's as this New York It's absolutely shameless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's got it. They have it. He had. That person has it completely backwards.
Speaker 4: It's it's a crime against humanity that red, fiscally conservative states have to pick up the slack for blue states that can run up their tax bills. It's just it's just absolute unelievable. Anyway, Again, what what Mike Jensen would say is there is not an appetite for fiscal conservatism in this country. Rush Limbaugh said, how many years ago was that? I should ask chat GPT what year did rush Limbaugh get a fair amount of flack for coming out and saying fiscal conservatism is dead. Nobody cares about that. I remember when he said it, and it was like it hurt my heart. Yeah, but he was just present hinting, you know, As George will says, one of the essence, one of the maybe core tenets of being a conservative is recognizing what is. Rush Limbaugh was recognizing what is. There is not a constituency for being.
Speaker 1: Fiscally conservative, and if they've got to tuck that behind the curtain and win elections to get done what we can get done.
Speaker 4: Until we, you know, collapse in ruin because we spent more than we could take in for too long, and eventually there's a price to pay for that. Well, you know, I'm reminded of and I think this is rock solid. When Winston Churchill, who spent as you may know, the nineteen thirties, howling to anybody who had listened, including his beloved in England, that the Nazis were building a war machine and were soon to be using it, and nobody paid attention to him, or at least they told him to shut up, he was wrong. We could negotiate instead, And then of course the invasion began and the war began, and then the very things he'd been pleaing for pleading for done, and Churchill said famously, nothing changes until you get invaded.
Speaker 1: I think the Mike Johnson's of the world is Rush Limbaugh. The great Rush recognized back in the time, we'll continue spending like Hunter Biden on a coke binge until we're actually in a disaster.
Speaker 2: Katie, didn't you tell us he said it in twenty nineteen, so.
Speaker 4: Six years ago that he recognized what was clearly true then and is even more true now. Yeah, there aren't votes for being fiscally conservative. So somebody I don't know, uh, tweeted out after this, and it's true. It's like when it comes to losing weight. I've heard people say you can't outwork a bad diet. It's the calories you're taking in, not the exercise. You got to do both, but you can't out work taken in on those calories. I think this is the same premise here. The issue isn't taxes, it's spending. The issues isn't taxes, it's spending. The issue isn't taxes, it's spending. It repeats that for quite a while. Yeah, you can, you can deal with taxes all you want. It's the spending. You gotta stop spending so much money, and there's no appetite for cutting spending. And then Brit Hume, who is the senior analyst over at Fox Television and really really good, even though he's ancient.
Speaker 2: When I started covering Congress back.
Speaker 4: In the late seventies, I thought the two hardest votes you could make in Congress were for war.
Speaker 2: And raising taxes. I was wrong.
Speaker 4: The hardest thing, by far for Congress to do is clearly cut spending. That's the one vote you can't take as a Republican or a Democrat.
Speaker 2: Apparently. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ratification of the idea that the government is Santa Claus and Mammi is now.
Speaker 2: It's complete, it's solidified. It's just part of our culture.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I have one good another good summer of what should have happened.
Speaker 1: Right after this, and then more cheery fair absolutely yeah. Quick word from our friends that simply save home security. You've been busting your ass, working hard. They're taking too much of your money state, local, and federal taxes. But what you've got you need to protect, including the people you love, and you do it with simply safe. And they're fabulous combination of active guard outdoor protection, and they're great monitoring agents.
Speaker 4: I like when simply Safe talks about the peace of mind thing, because if you've ever had it, it's well, if you've ever had a goal away, like if you've had your home broken into, it never feels the same again after that, having the peace of mind of it's not the sign in my front yard that does the protecting, but it reminds me when I pull away from my car, Oh yeah, people are going to see that. And no, I got the monitors on the windows and the doors, I got the cameras, I got the active live guard protection, I got all that.
Speaker 2: It's about a dollar a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy that this advanced level of protection starts around a dollar a day, so much better than traditional systems by far. Visit simply safe dot com slash armstrong. Get fifty percent off a new system with a professional monitoring plan and your first month is free. That's simplysafe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 2: One of my.
Speaker 4: Favorite fiscal conservatives is Charles CW. Cook of the National Review, who retweeted a GOP that can't simply extend the twenty seventeen tax cuts defund Biden's ridiculous green energy blowouts period is worthless. In other words, you got the presidency, you got the Senate, you got the House. You could have come in and just done extend the tax cuts, defund the green energy period, but nope, had to add in a whole bunch of other goodies for a variety of people. That is going to grow the deficit by how many trillion dollars.
Speaker 1: Three trillion over a decade. But those numbers are never too conservative? No, no, no, no, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's discouraging, discouraging. You know. I read a great piece by Carl Rove.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of folks, you know, despise as an old timey Republican needs.
Speaker 2: Don't get my brother started on Carl Rove, Oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, I won't, thanks to fair warning. But he wrote a piece called how the GOP can win Medicaid. Democrats won't let Republicans duck the issue, so go on the offensive instead, And I agree with him completely in this case GOP silence as the Democrats, and I've got great examples of this, try to terrify everybody that, oh, they're going to take away healthcare for blind babies, even though that's utterly fiction, just complete fiction. But rodwrides GOP silence will make the inevitable democratic assault more powerful, and Republicans have a lot of ammo with which to prevail on this front. And then he goes into some of the numbers. But here's a possible script for the Republican Medicaid off offense. Start by declaring a strong commitment to save the program. We're here to save it because of Democratic policies, Medicaid is spending hundreds of billions of dollars on people it shouldn't, who are able bodied, in working age. Republicans want this assistance to go to the people who is meant for the elderly, poor, disabled children, and low income families. Without reform, the program on which those Americans depend is at risk of rapidly becoming unsustainable. And the GOP should say able bodied adults on medication should be required to work or look for work, No freeloaders on a program meant for the truly vulnerable. That's a great argument, and listen to this more fact Jack.
Speaker 4: No mainstream media is reporting it that way, though they're only reporting eight million people will be cut from their health insurance, health coverage, or they usually say health care rear right, you're.
Speaker 2: Right, like you can't get medicine and you'll just die.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, So this is so interesting. A couple of months ago, the Kaiser Family Foundation found that sixty two percent of Americans support, and this is a quote from the uh poll, sixty two percent support requiring nearly all adults to work or be looking for work to qualify for medicaid. Thirty eight was a post It was sixty two to thirty eight. But if told that such a requirement quote could ensure that Medicaid is reserved for groups like the elderly, people with disabilities, and low income children, it was seventy seven.
Speaker 2: To twenty two. It's an eighty twenty issue. So this is either a measure of Republican cowardice or yes sting, or.
Speaker 1: How difficult it is to sell something to the American electorate in the year twenty twenty five that you don't even try to win a seventy seven to twenty two battle.
Speaker 2: Well, I would.
Speaker 4: I would be more willing to side with the it's just hard to do if I ever saw him do it. Plenty of Republicans on all these various talk shows on Sunday, and I ever see him make that argument try and fail.
Speaker 1: I mean, what if your kid said, no, I can't do that, son. You haven't even tried, but I can't. Yeah, I guess, I guess you shouldn't try it. I mean, you gotta have your kids taken away. I'll raise them, send them my way. I'd be delighted. I got lord, it's a seventy seven to twenty two and they don't have the balls to fight that battle.
Speaker 6: And Trump isn't doing it either. No testicles boo boo. I say, that's the sound I was making at my Testla yesterday. I got so mad at Tesla yesterday. I may sell the cars and and give up on them. I got so angry at the technology, among other things.
Speaker 2: On the way stay here, don't take it. They'll backpedal of three from the hym and oh, I think that's a two. That is a two. You're right, that's gonna be a two. That only tells the game, that ties the game. We're going to be going over to you, sure are, man.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of build up for Pacers Nicks because it was such an exciting rivalry way back in the day, and I thought, Okay, that's great, same uniforms, but none of the players ended up being one of the best playoff games I've ever seen in my life. That's in a lot of guts to come back from fourteen late in the game in front of.
Speaker 2: That Madison Square Garden crowd, but they came back in one.
Speaker 1: So look at this kind of a funny notion that it was a great rivalry thirty years ago, therefore we should be excited. And literally, that's not the same uniforms. They've probably changed them. But yeah, right, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: If it's fun, it's fun. Life. Life is tough.
Speaker 1: Enjoy you know, the things you enjoy. If it's fun, enjoy the things you enjoy. Joe gives you permission to go out this Memorial Day weekend. Enjoys talking to you. Enjoy shut up, put money. I was talking to a friend of mine last night whose daughter is really into Buddhism, and she has taught him that life is suffering and and and part of the suffering is we reject change. We want stasis, but it'll never we will never get it. And so enjoy the love, you know, enjoy the joy when you can enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, when I'm in that mindset, it really works.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite prayers from Saint Teresa of Avila, Uh, it's very short by one of the lines is everything is changing, and that is you know, you can use it on both sides when things are not working out. Well, this is not gonna last, never has in the past, and a good thing to remember when things are, you know, going well, this isn't gonna last either, so enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well it's last, This too shall pass.
Speaker 4: Everything is constantly changing, and it's all finding the balance though. That's the that's the hard part of life, or at least for me, it is the balance on everything. Like I watched way too much sports when I was younger, way too much. I would I could have those probably. I don't know if it's years that's too sad to contemplate, but certainly months of my life watching regular season NFL games or whatever. I wish I could have that time back. On the other hand, watching zero sports pretty much since I started raising kids.
Speaker 2: I watch an NBA game here.
Speaker 4: And there, and I have a really good time for a couple.
Speaker 2: Hours, Like I'm really happy.
Speaker 4: Why would I want to deny myself that even if it is frivolous useless, has no more meaning. I enjoyed it, so I don't know. For in charging the batteries, that's the meaning. Oh, speaking of batteries, here's my one. I got so angry at Tesla yesterday and I still.
Speaker 2: Haven't figured it out.
Speaker 4: I'll have to google it today. So I go to get in my car. There was a software update. That's one of the cool things about Tesla is the new model just came out overnight and it got downloaded into your car and you come out and the tech is different because they came up with a better way to do things.
Speaker 2: Like that happened on Monday. I got in my car all of a sudden, now the blind spot cameras show up here to see. Oh, that's cool. They just changed it. It is, it is. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: But yesterday I get in my car and I gotta go pick up my son from school. So I go get in my car. I gotta leave right now to make it on time, and you can't put it in drive and it says welcome to the new blah blah blah something or other.
Speaker 2: Download upload the up update the app.
Speaker 4: You gotta be kidding, and it gives me one of those whatever you call those things that you have to take a picture of to take you to a website.
Speaker 2: Oh, QR code, Yeah, gives me a QR code on my screen.
Speaker 4: When I get in my car, I do the QR code. It takes me at a website, then asks me for information that I don't have handy, and I just say screw it and go get my other vehicle where I put a key in the ignition and drive off anytime I freaking.
Speaker 2: Want to age. Man, Oh, that made me so mad.
Speaker 4: You're gonna leave me stranded here because you updated the software and improved my life somehow. Af you elon, what if your kid is bleeding and you're trying to get to the hospital or like a true emergency.
Speaker 2: That made me so mad, And I haven't figured it out yet.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I can, but you shouldn't need to go through any hoops to get in your car and drive off.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was furious much more to come stay with us, Armstrong and Getty whatever.
Speaker 2: You think of Hunter Biden.
Speaker 7: And there's certainly a lot of people in this town, Democrats and Republicans.
Speaker 2: That do not think a lot of him.
Speaker 7: There is a certain kind of like cruelty to the campaign against him.
Speaker 2: Where is Hunter? Where is Hunter? Where is Hunter?
Speaker 7: The right wing is going crazy with all sorts of allegations about Biden and his family, too disgusting to even repeat here. I mean, some of the ones I've seen from the President's son and the president some of the President's supporters are just wildly unhinged. I think that you came here and leveled a bunch of accusations and allegations.
Speaker 2: About it about Hunter Biden.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I just said the facts.
Speaker 4: So that's a little montage of Jake Tapper back in the day attacking anybody who went after Hunter Biden for anything. Now, his book has got all kinds of background stuff about what a scumbag Hunter was, which he knew at the time. Wow, and I thought this was interesting. This is a couple of more things on the whole. Biden declined cover up Jake Tapper book all that it's a giant scandal or.
Speaker 2: It should be.
Speaker 4: One of the biggest scandals in American political history, the biggest media failure in American history easily, I think. But so Tom Bevin, a real Clear Politics wrote another nauseating fact about the Tapper Thompson book. They've gotten more media in two days than most authors get in a lifetime, all of it from liberal media.
Speaker 2: Except for Megan Kelly.
Speaker 4: None of these outlets would have given a minute to conservatives if they had written the same book.
Speaker 2: Case in point, how.
Speaker 4: Many legacy outlets and networks and late night shows and podcasts had Miranda Divine of The New York Post, on who wrote her book Laptop from Hell, that every bit of it was true about Hunter Biden's laptop.
Speaker 2: I mean, and this is after it.
Speaker 4: Got proved, prove the cover up that the laptop was true. This wasn't at the time even though it was true. This was after even the Washington Post was saying everything in there was accurate and the FBI and all that she wrote a book.
Speaker 2: Called Laptop from Hell.
Speaker 4: Didn't get to go on any of these shows or podcasts zero And then she responded to those tweets saying, this is true.
Speaker 2: I did not. Nobody asked me to come on any of those shows.
Speaker 4: I got zero appearances on any shows, No New York Times bestseller list either.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 4: The book did launch it number one on Amazon and still sells its little socks off, which is exactly the same as the everybody in America. Two thirds of Americans knew Biden was too old, but the media didn't cover it. Most of America understand the laptop story and and.
Speaker 2: Actually bought it.
Speaker 4: See the New York Times bestseller List is a compilation of sales and reviews and opinions of what they think are important books. Amazon is just flat out sales. So she was number one on Amazon because actual, real people thought, well, that's an interesting story that I would like to read about.
Speaker 2: New York Times didn't think it was worthwhile, not even worth mentioning. Yeah, and anything.
Speaker 1: I want to give you this quote again. We're talking about how Giana scandal, the Joe Biden stuff was Again, this is one of the cabinet secretaries from the Taper Thompson book. I've never seen a situation like this before, with so few people having so much power, they would make huge economic decisions without calling the Treasury secretary.
Speaker 2: Bah bah bah.
Speaker 1: The evidence is mounting that these aids didn't just hide Biden from the public, they hid information from Biden, including the reality of how.
Speaker 2: Many elected Democrats wanted him out.
Speaker 1: So you had that small cabal of advisors shielding Biden from the world and shielding the world from Biden and making all the decisions.
Speaker 4: That is amazing, Yeah, Tappa writes, and I'm only she's of twenty percent. Through the book, Tappa writes about how that inner circle had become more about protecting the Biden family myth than protecting the country, democrats or anything else. It was just about protecting the Biden family and that's what their job was on a day by day basis.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, this reminds me this is another one of those situations where there is one response slash excuse that I would have to accept. I just wish somebody had the guts to offer it up honestly, and that would be Guys, what you're suggesting would have brought Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: To the Oval office, and we.
Speaker 4: Thought that was too terrible, right, which might actually be the reason, although I think it's more likely that it's we really really liked our power.
Speaker 2: We had enormous power, and we grew to like it.
Speaker 4: You combine the two, right, you have the one you got, the Kamala Harris excuse.
Speaker 2: We've all done this in our lives. You've got a way.
Speaker 4: To excuse what you want to do that might not be self indulgence. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So Tapra was on Morning Joe yesterday. I didn't actually watch it.
Speaker 2: I should.
Speaker 4: We had a clip that we didn't play. Tapa was on Morning Joe explaining that Biden had targeted, had made a targeted effort to convince Scarborough he was fit for office.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this before.
Speaker 4: These cable news shows have no ratings, but particularly Morning Joe on MSNBC is hugely important to Democrats. They actually get up in the morning and watch that. The Obama people did, and the Biden people do, and I think Trump does to a certain extent. But so they have an oversized influence on these White houses. And Biden went out of his way to make sure Scarborough believed he was he was okay. Scarborough talking about on Halprin's show about how he sat with Biden for three hours and he was sharp at least at that moment, which is, you know, still ridiculous.
Speaker 2: You saw him all the other moments on television.
Speaker 4: As as Mark Halprin says, you don't even need to have a cable you not only do you not need to have a source within the White House. You don't even need to have cable because it was on se SPAN. If you just watch se Span every day, you could see that Joe Biden was unfit for office.
Speaker 2: Right. I have one more nugget, Oh.
Speaker 4: So Ezra Kline, columnist for the New York Times, who often makes me insane.
Speaker 2: Because I disagree with him so much.
Speaker 4: He did write a piece way back saying that Biden should not be the nominee and he wasn't fit.
Speaker 2: And they need to move on. And he got killed by the left for it.
Speaker 4: It was a pretty gutsy thing for him to do, a pretty honest thing for him to do, and he got killed for it. And he did an interview with Jake Tapper yesterday that I have not watched yet because it just came out y the afternoon, but he writes this in his column.
Speaker 2: I think there is a point here.
Speaker 4: Before Biden's announcement, I spoke to Tapper about the book and about the ways in which I think that a cover up would be an almost more comforting explanation for the group think and denial that characterized Democrats in this period. There's a question in here that is relevant beyond just Biden. How do you see what is right in front of your eyes when you very much don't want to see it? So as reclient getting to what since the essence of this, which we've been talking about for a while, that's the story. Can human beings want something to be true so much that you're just blind to what's right in front of your face now? Orwell wrote about it eighty years ago. I think that's a lot of what.
Speaker 2: Was going on here.
Speaker 4: Some of it was just cold calculated you have no spine, you don't care about your country lying.
Speaker 2: But I think there's a lot of it.
Speaker 4: You didn't want that to be true so much you convinced yourself that it was a stutter, or that evil Trump was exaggerating him and his crowd were exaggerating how bad it was. I think, yeah, I find myself thinking about Jake tapperan and owned up to that, though I wish he would.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking about how different people have different needs, speaking of rationalizing things for belonging and different levels of skepticism. I've talked about my three kids, how they're very different from each other. I just need to accept or try to understand that there are people whose capacity for self delusion, their inability to see what they don't want to see, or their ability to kind of squash it and push it back so they get the acceptance of the peers that they really want their acceptance. It's way, way beyond mine. I would be sick the whole time. I think, I'm sure there are things I don't recognize, but it's got to exist on a continuum. I mean, you look at a really impressionable, alienated, whatever, nineteen year old college girl. If she gets social reinforcement, she will say anything, She will chant anything at Columbia, she'll throw on the kafia and and and believe the most.
Speaker 2: You know, like the whole the whole world.
Speaker 1: Is divided into victims and our oppressors, and victims can do no wrong and opressures can do no right.
Speaker 2: I've said before, if my dog.
Speaker 1: Espoused a philosophy that's stupid, I'd hit them with a rolled up newspaper.
Speaker 4: You have a talking dog, and you're hitting it with the newspaper really sitting on You're sitting on a gold mine. So your thing is it'd be cool to have a talking dog. But if I disagree with it it ain't worth well, no, no, not if it annoys me.
Speaker 2: No politics.
Speaker 1: So you can get otherwise intelligent young particularly although I look at some of the long haired hippie boomer jackasses at various marches and wonder about youth.
Speaker 2: But anyway, you can get people.
Speaker 1: To say inane, stupid things if you reinforce it socially. You can convince a boy that he's a girl if people pat him on the back and say good for you. And we people like us, just have to accept that there are some people who's whose ability to delude themselves is way beyond what we can imagine.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do about it except yell at him.
Speaker 1: It seems.
Speaker 2: It seems to be just human nature.
Speaker 4: And I assume, like everything else in human nature, it's a continuum and it varies from person in person, But it seems to be human nature that we can delude ourselves.
Speaker 2: If we want something to be true.
Speaker 4: Here's my here's a great example that I always that I think about a lot. And I know I've said this before, but it's it's worth hearing if you haven't heard it.
Speaker 2: So David Frand.
Speaker 4: She's currently a columnist for The New York Times used to be at the Dispatch. He is a conservative. He went to Harvard Law blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Very smart guy. We've had him on the air before.
Speaker 4: I heard him talking about one time he said, I, like a lot of lawyers when we when you know, when we're going to law school and we we're going to go out into the world of law, wonder about how am I going to defend somebody that's done something horrible?
Speaker 2: Even though I understand the whole.
Speaker 4: Justice system and everybody gets a defense and it strengthens our system, how do you defend somebody who's done He said, It has never been an issue once because you always find a way to justify defending the person you just do. And I think that's an example of it. You could find the way to believe them no, but you find one aspect of it that you can hang on to that can help you justify defend you.
Speaker 2: So it's never a conundrum for your conscience.
Speaker 4: And I'll bet that it's the same thing with the whole Biden thing, or lots of things in people's lives, but the whole Biden thing, you just needed a nugget or two, whether it's Kamala or how much you hate Trump or something that you could justify it and your and your conscience wouldn't bother you.
Speaker 1: I can hear it unfolding. You rewrite it, and then you justify it. You say, yeah, Biden slowed down a step, but Trump is the new Hitler. So I'm not going to spend my time worrying about that. And so you rewrite it into a form that is acceptable and.
Speaker 2: You move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Yeah, well, you know, we got to call people out on it.
Speaker 2: Understanding is not the same as condoning.
Speaker 4: No, and Jake Tapper does, and and and until Jake Tapper finally does an interviewer, he says, I had deluded myself. I've gone back and looked at this Biden stuff, and now you know, it's just I can't I can't believe. I'm horrified at the things I said on the air.
Speaker 1: Because I didn't see it, and that horrifies me. Yeah, that would be worth saying.
Speaker 2: He hasn't come close to that yet.
Speaker 4: No, and again, so he said on Megan Kelly the other day, he said the conservatives were right, the liberals were wrong.
Speaker 2: You didn't say that in your book.
Speaker 4: You've come to that conclusion in the last two weeks, when your pr thing it's gone nuts, when people keep you tucking you. You thought you would be hailed as a truth teller and you're being mocked as a hypocrite and a dope.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely right. God, I hope we get an interview with him. I can't wait. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go full Tanya Harding for those of you who've been listening long and.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, she canceled the rest of her tour.
Speaker 2: All right, stick around. I got a question for fancy Joe Getty.
Speaker 1: So that is a moniker I've never heard used to describe me before.
Speaker 4: So I've recently, I feel like I've gotten into espresso, which until I was forty five years old I pronounced with an ex experts lord.
Speaker 1: Room.
Speaker 2: I don't think I knew what it was anyway. I just do like.
Speaker 4: A capsule sort of thing, you know, when you're cheeryg or an espresso or whatever.
Speaker 2: Nothing super fancy. Do you do you do fancy?
Speaker 4: Do you like got a machine that like grinds beans and makes your own this and that and heats up milk, And do you have one of those is a fancy person.
Speaker 1: I've gone like halfway down that road in the past, but I just I don't want to spend the time.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. That's what I was wondering, is the time, because I kind of like.
Speaker 1: MEI coffee is wonderful, fresh ground coffee is just fabulous.
Speaker 4: But I kind of like the idea since I don't drink so I can't do you know, different kinds of beers or whiskeys or scotches or.
Speaker 2: Wine or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Maybe you know, becoming an espresso freak wray, you know, buy some good stuff and grind them whatever.
Speaker 2: But if it takes a lot of time, I just know I'll never do it.
Speaker 4: Somebody sent me a link the other day to this like thousand dollars william Snoma espresso machine thingy, and I started fantasizing about that and how cool that would be intervented.
Speaker 2: But if it's gonna take fifteen.
Speaker 4: Minutes of cleaning after every time having an espresso shot or setting it up or whatever, I just know I'll never use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the few advantages to getting a little older is I'm more realistic about will I use this? Will I be willing to, as you point out, clean it the rest of it.
Speaker 2: And I've decided, nah, not for now.
Speaker 1: You know, I could see some day when and if I ever retire doing that, because I'll have a little more time.
Speaker 2: But no, I haven't bothered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really really gym equipment. Like would just I think, sit there on the counter and mock me daily.
Speaker 2: Remember what you spent on me? When's the last time you use it?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: I do have a semi fancy I mean just it's kind of just one step beyond the very basic an espresso machine and the pods are considerably more expensive than a Kurg for instance.
Speaker 2: But it's really really Oh, you gotta tell me what that is? What is that? What is secret?
Speaker 1: What do you use it?
Speaker 4: No, it's then espresso machine and an espresso pods. Oh, it's it's one step beyond the currig?
Speaker 2: Is what you use it?
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, it's one step beyond the very basic espresso. But it's it's not not by much. I can't do it froth anything. I might go to the very end of it.
Speaker 4: I might hire a Colombian who lives in my house and like he stomps the beans with his bare feet every morning.
Speaker 1: Grow.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, he brings the beans into my kitchen on a burrow then puts them up in the thing.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm gonna do. Yeah, yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: You love coffee, and the coffee's wonderful when you do that.
Speaker 2: But you gotta make it one.
Speaker 4: Of those cats that craps it out on my counter and then you put it in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, none, that's a commitment. What do you got to feed those things? Well, you feed them coffee means I think right. Anyway, you put it's crap in your coffee.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe you famously never read directions. I would go ahead and read those directions. How Jack die well? Civet cat fever?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: So coming up next hour, it's going to be a blockbuster. This is going to be our Tony or Amy or whatever they give out in radio. Not only do we have a really good, interesting, and very funny campus madness update, but following up on the Jake Tapper discussion and our abilities to delude ourselves, do you know what mimetic thinking is.
Speaker 2: I've just learned about this.
Speaker 1: Humans are intensely social animals, and we care even if we deny it about our status are standing with others, and the things we do or don't do, or say or don't say, or believe or don't believe can be heavily influenced by that.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's part of an evolutionary survival mechanism that we need to have Afterbible as a beast. But like everything else I was talking about earlier, it's about moderation.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. It's a question of balance.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned if you can't grab it ya podcast Armstrong You Getty on demand Strong and Getty