Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature future production of High Heart Radio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today we're talking about chill babies. We are going to talk about how animal parents keep their babies warm and safe and fed in pretty cold environments because it's cringle times, it's winter times. How them animals keeping those little, tiny, cute, defenseless and sometimes delicious babies from dying in the cold. This is the theme of this episode. You know, it's like, how did Bob cratch It keep Tidy Tim alive by obviously chewing his food and regurgitating it into his little mouth and script there.
Speaker 2: I think no Scrooge learned to do it.
Speaker 1: By the end of it he had the ghost of Christmas. Uh food regurgitation and uh yeah. So that voice you hear we have joining us today is host of the podcasts Just the two of Us, Ellen Weatherford, Welcome, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm back, baby back. You were rid of me. You thought you'd heard the last of me? Right?
Speaker 1: I The last I saw you were you were tumbling off of a cliff into the mists.
Speaker 2: So I thought that you know at long.
Speaker 3: Last, never trust an off screen debt that'll learn you.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, today we're talking about we're talking about animal parents of babies born in the cold seasons. And if you can believe it, folks, there's actually a reason that I picked this topic. You might have noticed this. I want to say, seven months I have been perhaps less good at updating the feed with fresh new podcasts and been doing more listener questions. Episodes you had a little more rerun sneaking those in a little more. Well, there is a reason for that, folks, a biological reason.
Speaker 2: I am having a kid.
Speaker 1: In h yeah, in in February, so I you.
Speaker 2: Know, I am I.
Speaker 1: I It is very it's been very funny to talk about animal offspring and then think about, you know, my own experience this these past past months. So yeah, I wanted to let you guys know that that is happening.
Speaker 4: Yay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give you more details on programming notes and all that later on. But yeah, I'm having a I am now not just a host to parasites, but to a human fetus.
Speaker 3: So that is it had to push the other parasites aside, like room.
Speaker 1: Some say some say that like it's being pregnant is like having a weird parasite.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's like biologically speaking, it's not quite the same because there is actually some uh there's a lot of consideration actually the fetus makes to the mother because like there's no there is definitely no advantage to the fetus hurting the mother. It's very interesting because it is both a combination of a competition between the fetus and the mother and then also like a lot of like, uh negotiation because.
Speaker 3: It's a hostage situation really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like it's it's a it's something where you know, both parties are interested in the mutual survival on both sort of the genetic level and you know, like on the metal level of like I'm I want to have a baby, and I'm sure the baby wants to have a mother.
Speaker 2: Wants to be having exactly wants to be having.
Speaker 3: And also that there's like an exchange also that like in some cases, the like the fetus can actually contribute stem cells back to the parents' bodies and like in some ways it can like help your immune system. Yeah, I'm not like super well versed in that. That's just something I vaguely heard about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's I should probably do a whole episode on this on like amniotic uh you know, the whole the whole thing with like amniotic pregnancy in mammals and amniotic animals where it's like you know, you uh you kind of like your immune systems are have to work together in some sense because like you neither want to. You don't want to like have the mother's immune system target the baby and destroy it, nor do you want the babies to weaken the mother's immune systems so much that she is imperiled.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's a lot of there's there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Like weird jostling for position when you look at like all of these sort of systems. The the the reason we actually like amniotes animals who have the amniotic sec and give life birth are able to do that is I think there was like a actually like a viral transfer of DNA that gave us this like type of DNA that allowed the fetus to trick the immune system to not attack it, because otherwise you need the barrier of like having an egg and laying an egg because of the like with the the amniotic sect still being in the mother as your as your immune systems are both active, right, Like, there could be a lot of conflict and actually.
Speaker 3: It's like a foreign body in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, you do still see that.
Speaker 3: I think my my husband's mom soe. When my mother in law was pregnant with my husband, she had that problem where her immune system was like not recognizing him and she had to take like immunosuppressants basically to not like like like her like body was like allergic to the baby, right, Like, that's not me.
Speaker 1: And that usually happens when there's a difference between blood type uh so RH positive r RH negative. So whether you have a negative or positive blood type, and if that doesn't match with the baby, you can have a lot of problems. So I actually, so I have a negative blood type. I think if you have a positive blood type, it generally doesn't matter, but if you have a negative that the mother has a negative blood type, it's more you're more likely to attack the fetus's immune system, especially if there's like blood crossover for blood crossover event. But like and then you could like develop Basically if you have one child and you give birth and you're you're of a negative blood type, in the child's of like a positive blood type, and your uh, you develop antibodies basically against you know this, like, ah, this is a foreign blood type in my blood.
Speaker 2: I don't like that.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And so I got a shot in my butt of immunoprophylaxis, which is a way to prevent you from developing these antibodies. And then it's it's less to protect the current pregnancy, but if you ever it, it does certainly, but like it's more for future pregnancies that like, if something happens during this pregnancy where I'm exposed to the baby's blood during I mean you certainly will be during birth, but sometimes things can happen before then that I don't develop that immune response. And then if I decide to have another kid one day, then I won't my body won't be like, hey, wait a minute, this is I remember this alert.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So today we're talking about we're talking about we're stepping outside of the cellular lever and we're looking at animals who take care of their young and the cold. And I wanted to start out with a classic cold inhabitant inhabitants, the snowy owls. So you know these these guys, these are large, large owls, white with little black or dark brown flecks, giant eyes, big fluffy, down covered feet, perfect forever. They look like kittie cats with wings.
Speaker 2: They're very cute. Their feet look like paws.
Speaker 3: You must call them cute. Yeah, I think they make the definition of a pall.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they live in the Arctic.
Speaker 1: They they hunt small animals like lemmings, uh, little rodents, small mammals or even waterfowl.
Speaker 2: They can get a.
Speaker 1: Duck if they're if they're feeling ambitious that day.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And they uh yeah, they they're they're very good hunters.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And they're good parents, so both the male and the female take care of the young.
Speaker 2: And you love egalitarianism, yeah, but you can.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because they have they do have a separation of sort of like tasks that they do.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's also a difference in their coloration. So males are more of a pure white color they have a few flecks maybe, and females tend to be more have more of those brown or black flecks. So like if you see a snowy al that's kind of more pure white, maybe a few flecks here and there, that's probably a male.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then if you see one that's just like covered in chocolate chips that's like probably a female. There's an Italian gelato that looks like the snowy owl female called Strachella. So like you know, yeah, because it's like it's basically a chocolate chip ice cream, but it's like chocolate mixed in. It's not they're not chips. It's like they put they pour in like ribbons chocolate.
Speaker 3: It's not like cookies and cream.
Speaker 1: No, it's not cookies and cream. It's like it's just like chocolate mixed in, but it's hard chocolate. So they like pour in the chocolate like hardens and then they mix it and so there's like flecks of chocolate allot.
Speaker 3: As someone who's a big fan of magic shell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you'd love it. You'd love it.
Speaker 3: I would love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so you know, you know in those Wizard movies, how there's the the the the Wizard boy has the owl headway. So in the Harry Potter movies, Hedwig is actually played by a male owl.
Speaker 2: Uh, Like yeah, because it's.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be it's supposed to be a girl owl, right like in the books.
Speaker 3: It's like I didn't know that, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Guess they liked the asthetex of them maale owls better because they are more pure snowy white. I actually think the female owls look a little cooler to me because that, like bart the pattern of like again, they look like they like like chocolate chip ice cream, very very but like uh yeah, so Hedwig.
Speaker 2: I just think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: For no reason at all that in the Harry Potter movies Uh by a certain Joe Anne uh, the the owl is uh is played by a male owl and they repeatedly call a biologically male owl a female and the.
Speaker 2: Movies not not so biology? Now are you general?
Speaker 3: And sounds like somebody understands gender presentation?
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, oh, gender dimorphism. You really think you have a handle on that.
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can always tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually you can't. You can't with owls.
Speaker 1: Like once in a while you'll get a get a male owl who has more of those little sprinkles and a female owls who has fewer of them. So you know, even even these owls are like it's not always they don't always exactly so, but they do take care of their young together. So the female one of the reasons she has as markings. Is probably because it's disruptive coloration. And she will stay on the ground like they nest on the ground, like on this tundra. And it's not just like snow, right because then you'd say, like, oh, they should be pure.
Speaker 2: White, because it's just gonna be pure white snow.
Speaker 1: Often it's not always covered in snow, but it's like you know, rocks and moss and all sort of little pinks. Yeah, exactly, So like she blends in a little better, you know, with the ground, and so she has his coloration.
Speaker 2: It's a similar reason.
Speaker 1: For why other birds are like females are often brown or tawny or something, whereas the males are like a flamboyant jewel tones. But yeah, so, but the male also plays a role. He goes out and gets groceries for her, and by groceries, I mean dead stuff and he brings them back.
Speaker 2: So he hunts, brings them back.
Speaker 1: Shield tear the little creatures that that he has hunted to shreds, and will.
Speaker 3: He goes grocery shopping at dead got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sorry, fred Meyer is a grocery store chain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I didn't get it. I was like, I show this is something.
Speaker 3: I don't know how widespread fred Meyer is, but it's a grocery store here, so, uh.
Speaker 2: There's a Pacific Northwest thing.
Speaker 3: It might be, I honest to God, have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, joke, let's go. But yeah.
Speaker 1: So so he's he's feeding both his mate and the chicks, like bringing it, bringing it home, and then she's like shredding it and stuffing it in their little mouths. She's also uh, she's incubating the eggs with her body heat, and then she'll keep the babies, uh, the newborn hatchlings and uh up to well we'll talk more about it, but yeah, she takes good care of them, uses her body heat. She's very fluffy. Feathers can trap a lot of heat, just like you know when you have a jacket, usually it's filled with either down or synthetic dam She built in puffer. Yeah, and she's got that like where she's got like the outer shell of the water resistant feathers and then inside more downy feathers, and then it creates these air pockets, these hot air pockets that keeps her warm, and then she can keep the babies warm, even the little hatchlings that just don't have a lot on them, but the but they'll soon develop down, which does help them stay warm. But it's a really interesting system that she has because she'll lay eggs usually maybe like maybe one a day, maybe one every other day, maybe Jesus Christ, Okay, maybe one a day, maybe one every other day. But they don't all hatch at once, so they uh they hatch in the order in which they were laid. Uh so because they're because of this, like you can have a hatchling that is much younger than the oldest baby. So like you could have an hatchling that's just fresh out of the egg, and then a chick that is three times its size because they like in like a week or so, they will triple in size. So they they grow really rapidly. And so they you'll see like a nest and you can see like eggs, little white fluff balls the size of I don't know, like a clementine, and then like these like big fat gray chicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's so you can have all these.
Speaker 1: Chicks in like all sorts of different stages of their development in one nest being taken care of by the parents and.
Speaker 3: So, and that's really cute. It's super nice to see. It's like, you know, you see, like in a sitcom family, you know, there's always got to be like the angsty teenage older sibling. Yeah, and then like the mischievous middle sibling, and then you know the maybe I don't know, shy and a little more timid like little baby.
Speaker 2: It's full house. I assume I've never watched it.
Speaker 3: So you got it, you nail it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah.
Speaker 1: The the only co the only negative consequence of this is, I mean maybe from our perspective of people who find these chicks to be very cute, is that the the older chicks do have more demand for calories, and so if times are tough and there's not enough food to go around, the mother will prioritize the older ones. Sorry, the younger ones really get screwed in this cerea, because like the babies of the family, the ones that are the younger or the hatchlings will get neglected in favor of the older ones if they need all the food. It's sad, but it's a grim calculation of like, look, this one is already healthy and big, and putting your resources into that is a more sure bet than a hatchling, where you don't know whether or not it's gonna do well in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, the older one has already kind of made it a little farther, like you know that, like with every like every day, the chances of survival get a little higher, exactly, like, well, this one's already made it this far. It's more likely than the other one to keep surviving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You can always make more.
Speaker 2: You can always make more.
Speaker 1: But you know, despite this kind of grim calculation, they are very attentive parents that they will take care of the owlets defend them from predators. Outlets don't fledge like other birds who may be living in trees, right because they live in these nests on the ground, so like they don't have to fly before leaving the nest. They can wander outside of the nest. They keep this up for about six to seven weeks. Don't don't even don't even not gonna.
Speaker 3: Thinking about it. I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get so many emails if I don't do his exab it.
Speaker 1: Anyways, they stay close to the nests so that their mom can protect them until their flight muscles and their feathers are developed and then they can they can fly, but even then their parents will continue to help feed them for about two months, at which point they learn to hunt and then.
Speaker 2: They can be more independent.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they they're they are not just given a sort of like really abrupt sind off. They're slowly kind of weaned off of their parents' care and they're still given it. Even once they can fly and they can walk around that the parents will still be like, all right, but this is how you like catch a mouse, like like a cat, like a cat teaching her kittens.
Speaker 3: This is cat software on bird hardware exactly. I did do a Google search for snowy owl chicks and I, mmmm, it's not what I wanted them to look like. I wanted them to look way cuter. They're a little scrungly.
Speaker 1: I love the that's the thing though. For me, love the scrungliness.
Speaker 3: They're still fluffy like, they still have the fluff like. They're still very like down they are.
Speaker 1: They are haunted, the haunting Victorian children of the animal world.
Speaker 3: I have to I'm gonna send you a link to the picture I'm looking at so you can see the sort of PTSD thousand yards stare that this baby snowy Owl has. It's just that first picture on this article. It's from the New Quay Zoo. Uh yeah, and he's just kind of like got the eyes going in either direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I will say front from dead on, Like front facing is never the most flattering angle for a bird, so they really kind of did them dirty on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's rough.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best. I think this is the best possible photo you could ever take. Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There they go from being white when they're hatchlings to being gray and then once they get their adult plumage and they'll go back to being white and or chocolate chip.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It is kind of like a like a soot sprite.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's they're they're a little haunted looking because they got these like yeah, they they don't quite have the the adult plumage where they look more catlike, so they just kind of look like us, like a little uh little grimlin.
Speaker 3: It's very goblin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very goblinoid. But yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Can see some very cute pictures of like this beautiful like snowy owl with her eyes kind of closed and you know, snowy alls have sort of like this line of feathers from their beaks that kind of looks like a little smile.
Speaker 3: It's very cute, very serene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so she looks very peaceful and siren. Then she's got her a little gremlin uh with her.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: I can don't talk to me or my son ever again exactly.
Speaker 2: I sent you the picture of it.
Speaker 1: But she's just like, you know, like she's looking she's looking moisturized in her lane, thriving in the baby.
Speaker 3: Oh, she looks so proud of her awful child. She's like it might not be perfect, but it's the one I made.
Speaker 2: Love you about it. This is my beautiful child.
Speaker 3: I think every baby snowy owl has an internal dialogue of Eric Cartman. Yeah, oh god, what a cutie pie.
Speaker 1: Well, that is the parenting style of the snowy el Ellen, you got you got another another cool mom for us.
Speaker 3: I do well, I have a cool dad. I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Pivot a little bit discriminate.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pivot a little bit from my original game plan because I think we would be remiss if we didn't uh talk about this animal. I feel like it's like the go to you know, cold weather extreme parent it's even like a go to like extreme parenting sort of thing for animals. So I we have to we're gonna stay in the bird group, We're gonna stay in the bird family, but go to the opposite pole, so down to Antarctica. I want to talk about emperor penguins. Yeah, let's do it, because I feel like you can't talk about like animal parenting without talking about emperor penguins. They are wild, and I do feel like, yeah, and there was a period of time, maybe about what fifteen years ago, where they were like all the rage, where like everyone you know, we had March of the Penguins, had happy feet, like they were very much like front and center in pop culture. I feel like, but that time has passed, so I don't know, maybe they've faded from public consciousness. Maybe there's people out there who don't know.
Speaker 2: There is Pesto. He's a king penguin.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, the giant.
Speaker 3: Little baby pasto. Yeah, and then it was kind of a meme for a while, right.
Speaker 1: An enormous baby, an enormous baby penguin, a king penguin, which is the second largest penguin. The emperor penguin is the largest.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, and he was just like insanely massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's unit right. And he's just because they're the king penguin. Chicks are brown before their final plume, so it's like he was even like because I think he was fluffier than his parents, so it looked he looked bigger than his parents. I don't know that his final weight was actually bigger than his parents, but he just is this hulking, brown, slouching bird next to.
Speaker 2: The He's like elchebaca of a penguin exactly.
Speaker 1: But let's tell tell me about emperor penguins and in these cool dads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I feel like we do see this. I feel like we see it more in birds than in other, like categories of animals. I guess where the dads are the ones doing a lot of the childcare. Like, I feel like we've heard about this with EMUs and stuff. So emperor penguins, you know, are aquatic birds. They spend most of their time in the water, but they actually breed on the ice during the winter, which sounds like that's not when you want to be doing things. It's a pretty harsh time of year. But the reason they do that is because during the winter, the ice is the thickest, so the biggest, the strongest layer of ice beneath them, so that the ice is strong enough to support the weight of the entire colony of penguins. That's a lot of penguin, and penguins are very heavy, you know, they don't have to fly, so they don't have those like hollow bones, so they're very dense and heavy. So they have to stand on the ice during the harshest part of the year, during the time when you do not want to be on the ice, but they're doing anyway. They're toughing it out up.
Speaker 2: There, so gut, I've seen them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all they're chunked up, you know, they're ready for it. So in order to so, first of all, the males are staying behind on the ice while the females go off to the ocean to feed. So the females actually lay lay their eggs on the ice and leave them behind with the dads and the females leave. So the dads stay behind with the eggs and they have a little like pouch underneath their tummy so that they can pull the egg up onto their feet. So they're they're keeping the egg in place on their feet. They have like a fold of skin that goes over their belly. I mean, I'm trying not to call it a pupa, but I mean I'm built in Yeah. Uh So, they you know, fold it over the egg to keep the eggnce and incubated and warm. And the males all huddle together so they get just all i mean, like touching each other. It is a claustrophobic nightmare.
Speaker 1: These are confident men who are secure in their masculinity.
Speaker 3: They're so cool, they're growing out. This is this is homie time.
Speaker 1: This is what you just gotta keep your egg and your fupo with your homies.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're literally chilling with the homies, with the bros. Uh So, they spend the entire winter huddled together on the open ice in these crowds of like thousands and thousands of penguins. So if you've seen March of the Penguins, or if you've seen Happy Feet, it is I feel like happy Feet did a really good job. Did you see happy Feet?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like happy Feet did a fantastic job of depicting this. Like, yeah, I've rewatched that movie recently. That movie was way more sexually charged that I remembered it being as a kid.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, the female penguins that are like shapely somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have like an hour glass figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bird, Yeah you don't have memories, so.
Speaker 2: That we're not.
Speaker 3: This does not Yes, yeah, it's weird, weirdly horned up movie. But so the you know, the just like in Happy Feet, the males stay behind and warm the eggs during the winter, and they do this thing while the colony is huddled where the individuals would kind of rotate into and out of the center. So they make like a sort of like hurricane of penguins, so that every penguin kind of takes turns being on the outside and being like against the harsher winds. You know. Yeah, it's penguin na though. So the penguins that are like on the sides facing the wind, they like shuffle around the outside of the colony and like around to the opposite side, and the rest behind them follow in a single file line. So it makes this sort of like circular spiral shaped procession that just kind of ensures that like no penguin is ever on the outside the whole time, and they kind of like even do that in Happy Feet, like they talk about like taking turns and like you know, making sure that everyone gets a turn on the inside. So it's really really interesting. And like watching video of them doing this from above is really cool because you can see how they kind of like I think, like the way that crowds, not just a penguins, but like of people too, like begin to like follow fluid dynamics is really interesting. Yeah, it's really really cool to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's probably like a I mean, it's probably sort of an unconscious thing where it's like just this sort of constant shuffle that uh you know, like, oh it's a little warm over here, I'd like to shuffle towards that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that it's but they're not like.
Speaker 3: Fu I do have to at some point have to get back to the outside.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, So it's not like they are fighting the others to like, wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, it's really warm here, I want to stay.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's interesting how sort of like understand like they all kind of like seem to have this sort of like unspoken under I mean it's unspoken. The're penguins seem to Yeah, they're not like fighting each other. They're not trying to push each other out of the way. It's not like a violent thing. It's just that everyone kind of is like, Okay, I know I'm gonna have to have my turn on the outside, but that means like when I get back around, I'll have a turn on the inside. And the males are there for months, for months on end, they are huddled together to incubate the eggs, and they they cannot eat anything during this time. They are just straight like toughen it out, hunkering down because the egg wouldn't survive without the warmth. This is winter, so it's like at its coldest, it's at its windiest. It's really really harsh. They cannot let go of the egg this entire time. They have to stay there. They can't eat, they can't do anything. So then when the mothers come back from hunting in the ocean, the mother and the father then trade off, so she'll take the egg and then the father can leave. He can go feed in the ocean, and then he will come back, and after that point they'll take turns, so it's a little more egalitarian after the winter. But the father staying behind with the egg gives the mother the chance to go bulk up and you know, bring back some food to regurgitate. And I was reading about how it's so dedicated are penguin fathers, that there are many cases and I could only find examples of king penguins doing this, so I can't like confirm that this happens in emperor penguins too, but they're like pretty closely related, so I don't think it would be you know, unexpected if in penguins do it too. Yeah, they're like the same thing.
Speaker 2: They're a little butlers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so dedicated, so locked in our penguin fathers that in a lot of cases, male penguins would form couples and adopt abandoned eggs. So like if there is an egg that has been lost, or like a chick that like maybe their mom didn't come back or something like, male penguins just like there their drive to like take care of eggs and chicks is so strong that they will like pair up with unpaired males and and adopt a chick or an egg. And this has happened that zoo's like all over the world. Probably the most famous penguin couple is Roy and Silo, who were actually chin strap penguins, so they were not king or emperor penguins, but they were chin strap penguins who adopted at the Odensa's Zoo in Denmark, who adopted a baby chick. Roy and Silo. They nested together as a couple for six years, so even though they didn't have any eggs or chicks, they were nesting together and then eventually they were I guess they were given a like a chick to raise together. Yeah. The chick was named Tango, and they inspired a children's book, uh An Tango Makes Three, which was very a very popular children's book a few years ago. But this has happened, Like, that's not the only gay penguin couple. They have happened. This happens a bunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's not like.
Speaker 1: Just one.
Speaker 2: There's only two gay penguins.
Speaker 1: Somehow there's penguin Yeah, exactly. It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: I was I want to say, I read an article about a penguin that had made it with a like a cardboard cutout of an anime girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar to me too, for some reason.
Speaker 3: Was it hot Sune meku? Okay?
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, that there's a penguin that was it a penguin or an albatross?
Speaker 3: Okay? So it's His name is grape Kun, a humble penguin at the Tobu Zoo in Japan.
Speaker 2: And he.
Speaker 3: Was in a romantic relate, a very intense romantic relationship with a cutout of an anthropomorphic Humboldt penguin character from the anime series Kimono Friends. So I guess there's like a a penguin based character in this anime and they made a cutout of the anime girl and put it in his enclosure, and he fell in love with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean wouldn't though, really, Like, I mean, listen, look, they just like us. They should have gotten nim a body pillow.
Speaker 3: The pictures are really cute of him and his cardboard cutout together. They're adorable. So it is it is funny to me that, like, you know, penguins just have this like very strong drive to like couple up and raise a chick. Yeah, and what hold on? I had one more thing? Also, Oh yeah, there's also I feel like I see all over the internet this sort of factoid floating around that like penguins mate for life. There's this idea that like penguins like for you know, monogamous couples for life, which mating for life I think is a lot more rare in nature than people think it is.
Speaker 2: It's very rare like that.
Speaker 1: There's sometimes like when we talk about monogamy, sometimes it just means for like a few seasons, right, but I mean it's it happens, but yes.
Speaker 3: It does. Albatrosses will mate for life, Swans will mate for life. Like there's some some you know, larger birds that will actually mate for life as and they only mate with the same Sandhill cranes will actually mate for life to the point that if one of their partners die, they might be done, Like they might not find a new partner after their partner dies. Not all the time, but like I think that's what people think of when they think of like mating for life, which is extremely rare in nature. So penguins don't. They will mate monogamously, but like for the season, so like they'll have one partner that they stay with for the season, and then if they successfully have a chick and raise that chick. They're more likely to return to that partner in the next season, but it's not like they'll stay with one because they're yeah, because they're like, you know what, we did this last year and it worked out fine, so let's just try it again. Why bother going to Yeah, why bother trying to find a new person when I know it worked out better with you. I worked out it worked out fine with you last year. So they will kind of like return to the same partner in consecutive breeding seasons. But it's not a for life thing that I think people like like to romanticize, especially penguins, Right, they're adorable, they're cute. People want to see themselves reflected, So I think people will will latch onto this idea that penguins mate for life, which is a cute idea but not really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's like there could be some cases in which you have a penguin essentially mating for life, but it's not it is it's not like a hard and fast rule, And penguins don't have like a sense of morality in that dimension, right, It's.
Speaker 2: Like, right, like it doesn't mean anything to them, Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean they might I think it's it's one could imagine that they grow fond of one another, but like again, like it's a you know, if you're like you got you you have a situation where like you're waiting with this egg and your partner's going off to get fish. If they never come back, you gotta like you know, be open to like finding something else, right, Like, So it's not like I mean they're really dependable and everything works out like yeah, maybe, but otherwise, you know, might not.
Speaker 3: I know, with like albatrosses, which have a similar like one parent stays home while the other one is gone for a long period of time, they have to kind of like over the because they do mate like together over consecutive breeding seasons, they will like get to know each other to the point where like one albatross will kind of learn how long the other one is usually gone, and like they they learn how to like adjust and they might be like, Okay, well last year my mate was gone for like two weeks, so I know that I can be gone for two weeks. So like they'll kind of like adjust their timing based on how like they know the other one. But I think with penguins, they it's not as likely that they're going to be with the same one for like that long. Yeah, and they'll just be like, you took too long last time, I'm not coming back to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, all but trusses have to constantly sort of like reaffirm their relationships, so like when they like come back, they'll do these like wild sort of like greetings and like chest rubbies and vocalization.
Speaker 2: Because it's like.
Speaker 1: They have to do that to kind of sort of like reconnect and strengthen that bond. Otherwise, like you know, it's not necessarily going to be you know, yeah, I mean it's just like people, right, Like you got to keep the love alive by like sort.
Speaker 2: Of like screaming at each each other while you're your chest.
Speaker 3: Another thing that I feel like happy Feet got really right also is that the penguins do like identify each other by their voice, right, because you imagine like when all these penguins are coming back to the colony, they have to pick out which male and baby is theirs, and they are actually really good at like figuring out which voice belongs to theirs, which I do feel like is is a very relatable thing because when I am at like you know, say I'm at chuck E Cheese or something like that, and there's like a million squealing, screaming children. I can tell which one is my screaming child. Like if I hear a scream that, I'm like, that one's mine. Or if you're out and about somewhere you hear like a child scream, if it doesn't sound like your child, you're like, okay, I don't need a panic about that. That one's not mine. That's that's all I had on Emperor penguins. I just I felt like we would be remiss if we didn't talk about probably like the champion of cold weather parenting, the Emperor pan.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely these these these uh pills.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It didn't It didn't sound good when I said it.
Speaker 3: So that was I feel like I could hear the regret as it was leading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these penguin daddies also bad.
Speaker 2: None of this. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to h Walris walrus moms. Uh So you know Walruses, you love them. They you you put maybe like a couple of carrots in your mouth and you're you're like, hey, look at me, I'm a walrus. It's highly offensive to Walruses don't do that, so I like.
Speaker 3: It's French fries. I'm sorry the American Washier analogy.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 2: We have French fries here.
Speaker 1: So they're these massive blubbery giants found in the Arctic with their impressive tusks. They're pinnipeds, meaning their members of the seal clade. Both males and females have tusks, though the males grow theirs out a bit longer and thicker for sexual competition, so they can fight each other and be like, I'm I'm the big I'm the big walrus on the block. They have relatively long live spans and are slow to mature. They can reach sexual maturity at around seven years. The males often only start mating around fifteen years. Usually this is not because they're not sexually mature, but because they need to accumulate mass and respect in order in order to mate with females, and they live to be about thirty years old in the wild. So interestingly, so when walrus gets pregnant, she's able to freeze the development of an embryo between mating and gestation order for there to be the optimal timing for when the offspring is born in ideal conditions with enough resources around. The pregnancy itself is like not enviable. They are pregnant for up to sixteen months.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, crazy, Actually that's more than a year. That's like almost a year and a half of being pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's wild. I mean elephants go even longer. But yeah, like the general the general thing is like the bigger, the bigger the baby, the longer it takes us longer takes to cook.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so she will give birth alone on an ice floe away from the herd, which seems a little counterintuitive, but apparently like by doing this, when she she's sort of like out on the flow ice, she's avoiding predators that might come and like be like, hey, there's a big group of walruses. I know there's got to be babies there. I'm going to try to go get some. So she's kind of like on a on a boat, an ice boat alone, and then she's yeah, and when she fasts for a few days while nursing the newborn pup before returning to the herd, Yeah, just really not an ideal situation. I would not want to be a pregnant Walrus.
Speaker 3: No, everything sounds bad.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, it's pretty bad. So yeah.
Speaker 1: And then also, newborns are absolutely enormous. They're already around one hundred and fifty pounds when they're born, which is around up to six up to seventy five kilograms. They can whim. As newborns, they will rapidly start gaining weight from very fatty, very protein rich milk from their mother's and she's gonna be nursing him for anywhere from one to two years. Uh yeah, so uh yeah, I just did a Google search for baby walrus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good Google. It's a good blood.
Speaker 1: They're very they're very they're uh the little faces are very wrinkly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very wrinkly. Like it's like they they they got it's like they got born with like the amount of skin that they're gonna need later, but like they haven't filled it out yet, so they're just like they look like a basset hound.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of like they do.
Speaker 1: They do gotta grow uh, pretty pretty fast.
Speaker 3: So they looks like their skins too big for their body. They got it in the wrong size.
Speaker 1: And they've already got that characteristic bristly mustache. So they're born looking like little old baldmin.
Speaker 3: Like being born with a mustache is a power move, that's really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, they they're born struggling and wrinkly and needing a ton of milk. Uh, and the mother will provide and she'll not only nurse them for up to two years.
Speaker 3: They do look like a little baby grandpa.
Speaker 1: Yeah here, baby Grandpa, have some money, grandpa. Yeah. But yeah, they they'll they'll like stick around their mothers for around five years. So, like, it's pretty unusual in the wild for a parent to take care of offspring this long. Like, there are obviously exceptions where one of them. The amount of time we take care of our offspring is quite uh, you know, quite impressive. Elephants are another one. Like, they will take care of them for quite a long time, and the females will actually just like stay and continue to be, you know, in the group with their mothers and grandmothers and aunts and sisters, et cetera, whereas male elephants are given the boot like get out. But yeah, so they really invest a lot in these giant, very hungry babies, and I do not envy them like, there are some there are some mothers that I envy in nature, like kangaroos. I feel like because like I'm not someone who's like I want to be a snake, lay an egg and forget about it.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I like babies.
Speaker 1: But the kangaroos like kind of got a nice situation going where she gives birth to like a little tiny jelly bean that crawls into her pouch and then then she just keeps them there in her pouch.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, you finish this on your own time exactly.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a good compromise to me.
Speaker 3: You still get to like carry them with you and like experience, you know, the cute holding onto the cute joey. But like you're like, but that's your business, right, it doesn't have to be I don't have to be involved in the rest of it.
Speaker 1: I don't have to get like this enormous head somehow outside of my pelvis that was uh that has evolved for me to walk up, right, not for a baby to get through.
Speaker 3: You think that with kangaroos, like the bouncing could help it, Like, because because I know that a lot of times in labor they tell you to kind of like bounce on a yoga ball or something, because like the grabby could help, like.
Speaker 1: Doesn't help the kings room probably doesn't need to. It's just so so tiny like that. It's it's like a bean. I don't I think it's all pretty. I don't even know she knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: Uh, but yeah, it's one of those like I didn't know I was pregnant. Yeah, but it's like I didn't know I had a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She can also freeze her the development of the embryo if things are not ideal circumstances and then start that back up. You know what once she senses like basically it's like gonna be hormonal cues probably from her diet and temperature stress, et cetera, that tells her body like, actually, yeah we can, we can stop this embryo, you know, without having to redo the whole process.
Speaker 2: You know, in humans we do this.
Speaker 1: But that's like a lot of early miscarriage is basically the body is sensing that something's not ideal, and most of the time it's some kind of genetic issue with the with the embryo.
Speaker 2: It has nothing to do with like the mother's.
Speaker 1: Behavior at all, but yeah, like these kinds of things where like there's like these weird calculations happening in utero where it's like, do do we proceed with baby? Do we put the baby on pause, or.
Speaker 2: Like you know, eject the embryo?
Speaker 1: Like these are these are things that are just happening biologically as humans, Like it can be really difficult for us because we get emotionally invested in it, but it is a very common kind of thing that just happens these animals. So it's like, yeah, actually, both, like I said, both the both the walrus and the kangaroo can sort of pause the development of embryo.
Speaker 3: Which seems like a good idea, Like I'm gonna hold onto.
Speaker 2: This for later, right, save it for later, put it in the fridge. Right, Do you have any more animal parents for us?
Speaker 1: Ellen?
Speaker 3: I do. And I actually this was a really good tie in because I want people to keep in mind the things we just talked about with both the walrus and the kangaroo, because I want talk about brown bears. Brown bears, they are the big ones, the big, chunky, well not as big as polar bears. Polar bears are bigger than brown bears. But brown bears, especially grizzly bears, which are kind of specific to areas in I believe, Alaska, in Canada where you'll see grizzly bears. Grizzly bears are like a subset of brown bears. But brown bears are the very large bears that you'll see up in particularly the northern parts of the United States in Canada. We have them here where I live in Washington, not like here here, but in Washington there are populations of brown bears in like the Cascade Mountains. There's brown bears I believe that have been reintroduced to California, though they were once much more populous in like on the West Coast, there used to be way more brown bears. Now they've been largely extirpated. Oh, Yosemite, I know, like Yellowstone and Yosemite. You'll see wild brown bears out in areas like that. So these are the big ones. If anyone tuned into Fat Bear Week in the fall, if you if you're a Fat Bear Week fan, you know that brown bears spend the late summer and early fall chunking up to go into hibernation. So Fat Bear Week is specific to cat my National Park, which is in Alaska where the grizzly bears up there. They will like take pictures of the same bear at like the spring when they emerge from hibernation, when they're all so much yeah, they're so like lanky and skinny because they just like starved for like six months, and then they take a picture of them at the very end of the of the summer when they're about to go back into hibernation, so you can see the dramatic transformation between like they get they come out all skinny, almost looking like a coyote, you know, like they come out all yeah, they're all lanky and skinny and stuff. And then when they're by the end of the like the summer in the early fall, by like September ish, they are round, spherical, assume, a perfect sphere of a bing.
Speaker 1: Like I don't understand how their legs are supporting this bulk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are really really hefty. And I think also what a lot of people don't know is that when when when bears go into hibernation, they're not it's not really like a full hibernation in the sense that the bear is like a sleep that whole time. It's it's more of a state called torpor where their metabolism slows really really slows down, like really really far. They you know, their heart's not beating very fast. Their heart is usually beating like less than ten times per minute. They are conserving er. They're in power saving mode basically like basically very basic body functions, only they can they can move around a little bit, but not that much, but they can like get up and go to the bathroom. They can do basic body functions, including giving birth. So the mother bears will give birth in their den during this period of hibernation, which kind of sounds counterintuitive because most mammals, especially give birth in the spring when that's when things are starting. You know, you're getting more food opportunities, things are coming out of hibernation, like spring, makes the most sense to have a baby. But bears are usually brown. Bears are usually giving birth in their dens during like January and February, which seems like the worst time to be doing that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm happy about it because I'm probably it's gonna be January or February for me because I'm I'm definitely more of a cold weather bear than.
Speaker 3: You can get bundled up. Yeah, you could like, yeah, as someone who was pregnant in the summer, No that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm not do not do not envy that at all.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna be eating a ton of salmon, putting a ton of salmon straight from the river and getting real bulky and then like form a fecal plug or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So the and also like nursing a baby is metabolically expensive. You're spending a lot of your fats and proteins on making milk for the baby. So you know, babies usually are kind of born later in the spring, but brown bears are giving birth in the dead of winter. And okay, so what you talked about for the walrus, right, typically, like the bigger the animal and the bigger the baby, the longer you're gonna be pregnant with it, the longer you're gonna have to spend feeding it and stuff. So, and brown bears are huge. They are up to you know, four or five six hundred pounds, massive, massive bears, and you would expect them to have very very large offspring too, But the cubs are only like a pound when they're born. And brown bears they're so good little beans and.
Speaker 1: The nub and they're just like kind of like little nubbuns, like they don't they're so nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just little little teeny popcorn chicken guys. And and the bear is only pregnant with them for like kind of close to a human gestational period. It's like closer to that sort of thirty to forty week mark, which is, you know, for a massive animal, that's pretty unusual that they But what they're basically doing is they're kind of taking the kangaroo path of instead of letting the baby develop entirely inside of their body, they're giving birth to the baby when it's not very well developed, it's very very early in their development. But they're kind of using the den as an external womb. So whereas the kangaroo has a built in pouch that the baby can can be safe and warm in while they continue to develop, the bear is kind of using the den as like an extension of its sort of womb. So the den is keeping the baby protected and warm, and I think kind of taking a lot of that, taking a lot of the demands of pregnancy off of the mother so that she can continue to use her fat reserves to both feed her cubs and keep herself alive because like keep in mind, she also has to go with no food for like six months while also feeding cubs. So I think that the using the den to kind of like offload some of the demands of pregnancy and you know, having a newborn cub.
Speaker 1: But like keeping it warm, keeping it there regulated it's not all your body temperature having to do this.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So she kind of uses the den to alleviate some of the strain of pregnancy so that she can you know, do it during that really harsh time of year. And then by the time they're ready to come out in the spring, which is only just like four or five months later, so you have to move, like you got to be ready, yea. And the cubs have grown about ten times their birth weight in about five months, so they usually will be up to like, you know, ten to fifteen pounds when they're ready to leave the nest in there and they're like walking and ready to follow their mom. They can kind of keep up with her. So that was just like the.
Speaker 1: Most adorable the most adorable baby sort of walk. I feel like baby bears just the awkwardness of it.
Speaker 3: They have their like feet at a ninety degree angle and like they haven't quite learned how to bend their elbows correctly yet, so they're just you know what I think movie I think captured the baby bear walk so well was Brother Bear. Yeah, yeah, the Brother Bear gets baby baby Bear walk down really well.
Speaker 1: It's not like I feel like it's kind of not a super appreciated Disney movie because it's.
Speaker 3: Like it's a deeper cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like not it's not as much of a classic as the other one's.
Speaker 2: I liked it, but the.
Speaker 3: Very well animated the bear.
Speaker 2: Animation is insane. It was so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, the the guy did that I think was his, and he did a recent one called a snow Bear. I think you can find it on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Couldn't get an enough of those bears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Aaron Blaze, you're right, uh and uh yeah, he once again nails bear animation.
Speaker 3: It's nobody does bears like this.
Speaker 2: Nobody does bears like this guy. It's like a short.
Speaker 1: It's like a eleven twelve minute short animated thing, so you can watch it over breakfast. But yeah, it's it's it's very good. It's a it's very cute. It's speaking of speaking of cold cold bears. This I think this is like these this is a polar bear that he's he's animating, and it's it's very very cute, very deeply touching animation. But again, like getting the getting the animation of the bear movement is uh, you know, I think they just like watched hours and hours and hours and hours and hours.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, bears moving for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh what a hard job that must be having to watch just adorable little bears toddling around. But like, I feel like how much they fast forward, Like growth is so impressive by the fact that, like, because I'm imagining, like if our babies grew by ten times their birth weight in the first like five or six months, Like can you imagine you know that?
Speaker 2: Mother, I'm going to law school.
Speaker 3: You know those like pinteresty little like photo shoots that people do with the little signs that'll be like four months old, five months old, it's like one of those, but the child is like fully like eighty pounds and sprinting.
Speaker 2: I require more calories, mother.
Speaker 3: I hunger. I had My first baby was ten pounds four ounces. Ooh, so I simply can't imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my, my, my, I don't know if this is something.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've talked about this before.
Speaker 1: My my husband is enormous in the sort of in his altitude, and I keep back as the guy to collogists like like how big is it now? Is it like normal size?
Speaker 3: Because I'm just like, well, they lied to me, because when I was pregnant with my first one, they kept telling me like, oh, yeah, like eight pounds, he'll be like normal size. And I'm like, I don't think you checked, like because I was but big babies run on my run on my side of the family. I was like a nine pound baby. Uh, there's been you know, ten plus pound babies for multiple generations in her family. And I asked, and I was I was nineteen when I was giving birth, and so I was like, can you guys please check? Can you let me know what I'm getting? And they didn't really like measure or anything. They would just kind of like feel my belly and they that seems like, yeah, very scientific, So you're like, yeah, it could be like eight ish pounds as fine. And then afterwards, when after giving birth and they actually checked and weighed him, they were like, oh, he's ten pounds four ounces, and the doctor because because I was so young, you know, giving birth. The doctor was like, I'm sorry, if we had known that was going to happen, we probably would have recommended a C section. That's actually crazy.
Speaker 2: And you asked many times.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I did specifically ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got so like we got gens going in both directions because like in my family, we've generally like smaller, normal sized babies and small, smallish heads, and then on bread side of the family, big babies with big heads.
Speaker 3: So it's like, you know, it averages out.
Speaker 2: That's what I hope.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how jeans work. It's just that you add them up and you divide them by two and then you.
Speaker 2: Have it's to mean exactly exactly. Yeah, but like.
Speaker 3: What if what if huge baby tidy head?
Speaker 1: That would be interesting. I'll go to Tyler rinkis of a baby?
Speaker 2: This is very strange, littlemunculous.
Speaker 3: Look up, Look up, K Tyler Rincus, real.
Speaker 2: Quick, Tylo Rincus. Who what is this?
Speaker 3: C O t y l O r h y n c h u s. Look up to K Tyler Recus real quick.
Speaker 2: It's like a dinosaur.
Speaker 3: It's I think it was a synapsid. I don't think it was a dinosaur. It was like one of those early like I shoot offs that later became Man, that's my boy, that's my beautiful son. You're gonna be the snowy owl smiling next year.
Speaker 1: I will love my nub headed son with the giant, the giant reptilian body.
Speaker 2: My barrel shaped, yeah, barrel and tetrapod.
Speaker 1: Uh. I mean you may not like to hear this, but this is peak form. This is this is actually yeah, this incredible, incredible. It's like a yeah, it's like a turtle, but everything is flesh, like the shell is flesh. That everything's flesh. Uh, it's a flesh turtle.
Speaker 3: A turtle that forgot about shells.
Speaker 2: A giant, round barrel chested flesh turtle.
Speaker 3: That's your boy.
Speaker 2: That's my boys, that's your that's your that's your little son. More we go. We do.
Speaker 1: Got a play a little game called Guess you squawk and the Mystery Animal sound game. Last time, the hint was this, Uh, something is lurking in the cold waters in the depth and it's adorable.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh you got any guesses?
Speaker 3: That was the deck of the Star Trek. That was the USS enterprise. It was the background music that they play in like Star Trek. Yeah, episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, space noises.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was some space noises, some bleeps and bloops, some spaceship sounds, some onboard computers. You know what. I think we did an episode maybe like a year or two ago, on Ross's Seal, and I feel like they made this exact sound or something very s because I remember it being described as a siren like sound. Some of that sounded like an ambulance siren. So I'm gonna say Ross's Seal, That's what it sounds like to me.
Speaker 1: You are so agonizingly close. This is a man, it is a seal.
Speaker 2: This is a wettle seal.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my next like if it wasn't the Ross's Seal, if that was gonna be my next thought. But it was like it sounds so close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very similar. They are found in Antarctica and they hunt fish in the water under the ice. They have a thick layer of blubber so that they can stay warm, and they make these weird alien sounds. A lot of the frequencies outside of our hearing range, and we're not exactly sure why they do this. It could be just communication among them. There's like a theory that it could be a sort of form of echolocation where they listen for the echoes off of the ice, but there's not that. That's never been proven, so we don't know. Maybe they're just playing aliens.
Speaker 2: It could be like I'm a spaceship whoa we? So we don't know exactly why.
Speaker 1: Probably communication, possibly a form of being able to detect where the ice is, but again that's like a that is not that is not proven there. I don't believe there's been evidence of that other than it seems like something they would do.
Speaker 3: Have you because you were talking about Walrus's earlier, have you heard some of the sounds that Walruses make?
Speaker 1: I believe so, but I want to know what specifically, because.
Speaker 3: All of the sounds that they make are very strange. One of the ones that they make that this one actually reminded me a lot of that. I thought it may have been early, like early in the clip, is that they make a bell clanging sound nice like I don't know how they make it. They make it. It's in their throat. They're doing something in their throat and it echoes in the water in such a way that it really it sounds exactly like like one of those big bronze bells, Like it sounds exactly like a beldar shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I see e T.
Speaker 1: The walrus practices his vocalizations at Point Defiance Zoo Aquarius.
Speaker 3: That's my zoo. Baby, it's in Tacoma. I was just there a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 2: Let's let's play the let's play some of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this is so This is from the Point Defiance zooa aquarium.
Speaker 3: They're in Tacoma, Washington.
Speaker 1: Represents uh and he's a thirty one year old Pacific walrus. H.
Speaker 2: Let's let's hear.
Speaker 4: Him for Butter's well.
Speaker 2: Wow, incredible.
Speaker 3: It's hard to hear when they're out of love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll crank it up a little bit so that you can. You guys can hear it a little better. But yeah, that is that is wild. Also, just like watching this video, their eyes are so weird. I don't think about it that their eyes are so weird. Looking looks like it anymoment it does.
Speaker 3: They look like pugs. They look awful and the and their lips are so much fleshier than you think they are.
Speaker 1: It's just they're a nightmare creature. They look like they're one sneeze away from their face exploding.
Speaker 3: And and and that whistle sound too. When they do that at the zoo, you can hear it all over the place, like you can hear it from like the entrance. And if because I hear them do this whistling a lot when I'm visiting the zoo, and now that I've visit did a few times and I've watched them in person do this whistling sound, I know what they are. But like if if you have not seen them do this before, if you don't already know that that's what they say. It sounds like like a train whistle or something, and nobody knows what. Like everybody's always like, what was that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't think it was a walrus train whistle sound.
Speaker 1: Well, they're essentially trains, the train of the sea exactly. All right, onto this week's mister annimill sound. The hint is this merry creature crankle times, folks.
Speaker 5: Ah ah ah ah ah huh.
Speaker 1: So you know one of those like little toys where you shake it and it goes pop pop pop pop.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a man, that's a grown man. It sounds like one of those dog toys, like the pig shaped dog toy that when you squeeze it it makes that.
Speaker 1: Kind of like yeah, exactly, wock bong sook uh gosh.
Speaker 3: I mean it sounds like some kind of duck, like some sort of weird like like a goose or a duck or something.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you step, like someone stepping repeatedly on a cube.
Speaker 3: I mean I have to meta game a little bit and use the clue to think that, Like, if it's a festively themed animal, my only thought would be like or something like that. So based on the sound, I would have to go with some kind of goose or a or a swan.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, Oh you were you were right with your first guess. Oh it is that we'll bleep it out with like I don't know, a festive quack, but but with the festive goose. Maybe it's maybe it's the Maybe it's the goose that Scrooge asked that boy to you and he's like, boy, what day is it?
Speaker 2: Why it's Christmas?
Speaker 3: Suck?
Speaker 1: And it's like, get a giant goose that makes this.
Speaker 2: Sound I know, just the buttons uck. Well, thank you so much for joining me today. Where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on Just the Zoo of Us, which is a podcast on the Maximum Fun Network. It is also family friendly, so if you listen uh with young folks in the car, this would be a great one for that. I also have another podcast called Spellbound and Gag that's about weird and spooky and gross stuff in science and history. That one is not family friendly, so please uh grown ups only for that one. Family, Yeah, leave your family and come listen to my podcast. And I believe Katie's been on both of those pots. I have a rate entry point either way. Yeah, so that's just the zoo us dot com. If you want to learn more about the show, or just look up Spellbound and Gaged. I don't have a website for that one yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know Internet.
Speaker 1: You just say it, Say it to your say it to your computer, and they'll.
Speaker 2: Take you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The the the AI programs that are listening to us all. Actually, if you just say it out loud or probably just even me talking about this right now, you can get a sponsored ad for it. I don't sponsor any ads. So if you get a sponsored ad, that would be really weird because I'm not the one paying for it.
Speaker 2: Well, but it's the AI is making money. Yeah on you cloned you.
Speaker 1: Well. Happy holidays you guys, Thank you so much for listening. I probably will need to uh take uh the holidays off, might do feel little.
Speaker 2: Uh crangled times rerun. Uh we will see. I am.
Speaker 1: I am currently uh sharing my uh nutritive and bodily functions with another rapidly growing individual, and so that does sometimes interfere with my release schedule.
Speaker 3: Bro I'm just stating right now, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just stating, I'm brooding, and I'm just stating, and it's uh, you know, it's a it's an interesting process, and I am I am. I'm sort of somewhat at the mercy of the whims of this uh new homunculus.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: But if I don't, if I don't uh uh see uh, which I do right.
Speaker 2: Now, I can see all of you. It's wild. It's a wild experience.
Speaker 3: She sees you when she's when you're sleeping.
Speaker 2: And I know when you're awake.
Speaker 1: Uh, I know, I do like both bad are good and my I have sort of a rubric very complicated moral framework for determining badness and goodness.
Speaker 3: It's a and it is a binary.
Speaker 1: Actually it is like you think that like it's a it's a mathematical formula, and I can determine within two decimal points like how like that you are just irredeemably bad or you know, solidly good, and you'll either get worms or.
Speaker 2: Slightly better worms mealworms.
Speaker 1: Right, meal worms or you know intestinal parasites.
Speaker 2: Uh, all right.
Speaker 3: Guys, naughty children get the intestinal paraces, not.
Speaker 2: Cause children get round worms and mems.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, enjoying the holidays, Thanks for listening. Uh Happy creature kringled times to you stay warm out there or cool?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't. I can't tell you what to do.
Speaker 3: Regulate at your pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thermal regulate to the ideal temperature, find homeostasis. And thanks to the Space Classics for their super awesome song Exo Alumina.
Speaker 2: Creature features a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or Kay guess what?
Speaker 2: Whoever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: I'm not your mother, you know I would know I think I would know, so I can't tell you.
Speaker 2: What to do, but I can't tell you that.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you're uh, if you're gonna be old baby, make sure that your mother does rip up your carrion into edible shreds, because you know.
Speaker 2: No choking.
Speaker 1: You don't want to choke on carrion. Always good to take small bites of carrion.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your regurgitation.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your regurgitation or your egg or your gurgetated eggnog. Whatever is working out for you. Yes, see you next Wednesday. Guys, Happy holidays.
Speaker 3: Thanks thanks for having me. Also, Katie, good to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Yeah you too. Bye