Speaker 1: But also I just like these sort of artifacts of like vintage transphobia, because like transomid today is so strategically organized in this top down way from the right, where like they have a playbook about how we're going to mobilize people around these fears.
Speaker 2: Hello, Beauty Translated listeners, Welcome to another episode of the podod. This week, I am talking with the writer by the name of Jamie Kalis. Jamie is a contributing writer at the New York Times magazine. He's also writing a book called The Third Person, which is a book about non binary gender in America, which will be out in twenty twenty four. We discuss it in the interview coming up. And he also runs the trans archival history account known as sex change dot tbt on Instagram. This is how I came to know Jamie through his Instagram account and the trans archival posts that he makes as a part of research for his book on non binary gender in America. I wanted to talk to him about his experience researching for his book and also archiving trans history essentially for all of us to enjoy on the lovely Instagram. He's really posted a great community on his Instagram page. Of some awesome people who just love the history. And we're here because we love our history. So please enjoy my conversation with Jamie Kayless about his Instagram page sexchange dot tbt. All right, listeners, today, my guest is a writer by the name of Jamie Lauren Kayless. I came to know them through the Instagram account they run, which is at sexchange dot tbt, which is an amazing archive to the trans experience and the community as it was pre and earth Internet. Many of the posts I have found on this page have resonated deeply with me and have even been an inspiration in the direction I'm taking the podcast. Please welcome my guest, Jamie.
Speaker 1: Hi, Jamie, Hi, Carmen, thanks so much for having me on the show.
Speaker 2: So, Jamie, before we get into the Instagram account, which I love. Sex Change tbt is an awesome archive and it has both showed me a bunch of new things that I never knew existed from our history, but it also has reminded me of some old things that I had forgotten about. So it's been a really awesome Instagram account. I love it. But can you tell us about who you are?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, I guess the easiest way to get into that is to go backwards from getting into the Instagram account. So I'm running this Instagram account. I'm not like a historian or anything. I'm a journalist by training or a writer, I guess. I work at the New York Times magazine, which is a whole other can of worms. I'm from Pennsylvania, so like about an hour outside of Philadelphia in a town that's sort of rural, sort of suburban.
Speaker 3: The town is called Doylestown.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the places that's always on electoral campaigns, like profiled as like the quintessential swing district. So definitely like felt kind of far from cities and like didn't know gay people, but also had exposure to kind of like arts and culture and like assorted other types of freaks that I've been in New York since twenty fifteen, and I've lived in Chicago, LA a couple other places.
Speaker 2: Tell me a little bit more about being a writer for the New York Times. Tell me a little bit more about that. You said New York Times, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I write for the New York Times magazine and was doing that pre transition, and I'm still there. I'm currently on booklya of working on my book, but yeah, trans stuff was like not my interest when I got into writing, Like not that it wasn't my interest, but I'm very much a generalist. I do a lot of culture stuff, celebrity profiles, things about technology, and obviously like I am trans. But in the beginning of my transition, I was like not that interested in transh history, intercommunity discourse kind of stuff. But then as I started thinking about writing this book, and basically my book is about history and present of non binary identity in America, I was drawn to it partly because I started getting really afraid that someone else was going to write a worse version of this book. And I was doing a lot of complaining to friends and saying, oh my god, someone's going to write this book.
Speaker 3: It's going to be for idiots.
Speaker 1: And my friends kept saying, well, why don't you write this, You like really have the skill set to do this. Your journalists you sort of are asking the right questions. And I said, oh my god, I'm never going to write a gender book. I don't want to be one of those people. But then the more I started thinking about the subject matter, like what I really like about trans stuff, and maybe a lot of people knew this before me, but it took me like a while to come around to it. But like trans history really overlaps with everything, so it's like it's gender, but it's also like history of media, history of medicine, history of culture, history of the arts. So when I started looking into like, okay, like what would it mean to put this book together? I was just one delighted by like how much it overlapped with other things I had written about and the other things that I think make a good story. And also just like the depth of archival material. Obviously there are tons of people doing really good work in transistory, but compared to all the other historical things that have ever been research, the archive is relatively unexploited, right, Like you can still go in and find a corner that no one has really had the time or the interest in going through. So I've just become really like sucked into archival research in a way that was not really foreseen when I started working on this project at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that correct me if I'm wrong, But it seems to me like the Instagram account sexchange dot tbt has been a way of keeping track of the research you've been doing for this book, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it's I mean a lot of it was just like I was accumulating all this material when I was going to visit archives and like taking pictures of stuff or like using some of the online resources like Digital Trands Archive. I was just having like tons and tons of screencaps and like no one to really share them with, and was becoming sort of lonely in my research. And then I started thinking, Oh, I can put this stuff online. And obviously there's like the sort of cynical like, oh, I would love to have a huge platform to promote my book. So like I was like, this is a really good way to gather the audience. But also I just think most of the people synthesizing this material are academics. There's obviously people all over the place working in it. But I was like, oh, there's like not really a great Instagram account that's like putting this out in a way that people can really access. The negative side of that is like it really does currently reflect a lot of the biases of like the current chapters that I'm researching. Rights, Like a lot of what I've been working on is like trans mail conferences in the late nineties early thousands, and a lot of what I'm writing about is kind of like the whiteness of those conferences or sort of like who they did and didn't represent. So like the archival materials I'm working with kind of reflect all those biases, And when you move it from one platform to another, it's like not necessarily like I think in the ideal vision of the Instagram account, it would be a lot more expansive, but right now it's like a side project of a different project that I'm working on.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe it's just reflective of, I guess, the limited visibility that trans people had at the time. But I want to also, I want to back up to something you were talking about earlier, and how when you first started journalism, how transnis and trans issues weren't really like super that important to you. But it sounds like at a certain point it's like your transition coincided with these interests. Do you care to talk maybe just a little bit about your own journey with your gender before we dive more into the Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I haven't quite figured out like the good way to narrativize this because I lived like most of my life as like a somewhat beautiful heterosexual woman. I mean, like I dated men, had long hair, got to blow out, like all that kind of stuff, and like somehow, in the course of the past however many years, like I've ended up being essentially a man, And when I look back, it's like I can narrativize it all these different ways. But like, I don't know, kind of was just like always felt like something was off. I had like a lot of other various journeys before this one. I spent a couple stints in the looney bin. I got sober in twenty fifteen, So like this was not my first big narrative arc of my life, and in some ways it like crept up on me as like a little bit of a surprise. At some point I started thinking, okay, well, like what if instead of kind of like resisting those questions, I just started following my desires and see what they yielded. So like I very much did not set out to transition. I think I had like things of like okay, well, like what if I dressed a little more this way? And then I was like, okay, well, like do I want tops or are hormones for me, and these things kind of just compounded into what, in hindsight was a transition. But like for a while, I felt very frustrated by that because it didn't seem to be what I saw represented as the quote unquote trans narrative arc. Now I think I'm meeting a lot more people that like were straight women or like transitioned kind of by accident and ended up being happy. But I think I found that really alienating at the time, when like back then it was very much like born in the Wrong body type discourse, which was not my experience at all.
Speaker 2: And as the discourse has opened up, I think a lot more people have realized that they are not as sis as they thought they were, and that they are really a lot more trans than they thought they were. When did that journey start for you?
Speaker 1: I think I started like thinking about transition pretty seriously in like twenty seventeen, when I moved back from Los Angeles because I had just broken up with my boyfriend at the time and can't come back to New York. And it felt very much like, okay, like let's like some of these questions that have been annoying me, Like it's time to just sort them out and get on with my life. And then since then I haven't really kept track of like when I started hormones and I had top surgery during COVID. I guess I don't know. I'm not like a big milestone celebrator, but yeah, I think twenty seventeen conceptually is like when I would pin it at.
Speaker 2: So around that time, you were talking to all your friends about wanting to write this book, and I just love the fact that it came out of a passion of not wanting someone else to mess it up. Do you have any idea of when we can expect that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give you the little spiel. So it's called The Third Person. It's going to be out from FSG right now. It's scheduled for winter twenty twenty five, so like maybe January twenty twenty five, we'll see. It's like weird because you're writing and then they're always moving the deadline depending on how fast you can write it. But it's for a general audience reader, whatever that means, So like, it's not a gender studies book, it's not for academics. I noticed there was like a lot of books that are like memoirs from non binary people, and then there's a lot of books that are like guides of like give this to your parents so they know how to use pronouns. But there isn't anything that's like looking seriously at like what is arguably a major cultural shift happening and kind of trying to historicize it. Right, So, like a lot of the way people talk about like non binary identity is like, uh, this is like a new thing that's happening all of a sudden, and then like the backlash to that from trans people is always like We've been here all along, and it's like I think I'm like looking for this middle ground where it's like, yes, gender variance or gender diversity has existed all throughout history, but the particular categorization non binary is like a very specific thing. It's not just saying that like people can be all different genders. It's like a particular way of like packaging identity and talking about it. So like what I wanted to do is like look back into history a little bit and say, Okay, well, like what are all the people who are in this category, Like where have they been in other points in time where they butch lesbians, were they like super effeminate gay men, were they transmn? Where they trans women? Like kind of where were these people before? But then also kind of like what are like the political or cultural shifts that happened in order to like bring these people together under the specific category of non binary. It's not the same thing as saying I'm gender queer or I'm androgynous, or I'm like fem or whatever. Like there's a lot of there's a lot of baggage associated with non binary identity, and like it's very much tied into like corporate diversity culture or like marketing schemes. Like I wanted to kind of like give that some serious thought in a way that's both like trans affirming but also sort of asking like big conceptual questions about like what types of problems does it raise for us as a community, or like who does it affirm and who doesn't an affirm, and like is this kind of like the way forward or not. So that's become a lot bigger of a project than I thought, And I don't know if I have the answers, but it is coming along and hopefully I'll pull it off.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited to read it because I think these are also questions that as somebody who is not a member of a non binary community, as a trans woman, I've I mean, I consider myself to have had like a non binary phase at one point in my life. But everyone is trying to understand and find points of reference for these concepts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like a really it's kind of a bizarre category, right, because it's like non medically transitioning people, medically transitioning people, people coming at it from both directions, people passing through it in a temporary way. So it's like for me, who essentially lives in the world as a white man ninety nine percent of the time versus like someone else from any number of positions coming to non binary. Like our experience of the category and sort of like what it does and does not do for us is so different, and I don't think we quite have a good way of talking about that within the community or outside of it. So that's just been really interesting, like talking to people that have come at it from all the different directions about kind of like what do you think you're getting out of this in sharing this category with all these other people who have essentially nothing in common with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, and I'll get to that a little bit, like when we talk about language and stuff like that and how language has evolved and how the word trendsexual has re emerged for that reason. Yeah, we'll talk about it here in a second, but let's talk more about the Instagram accoun sex change dot tbt. What does the name mean? Just tell us about the name itself.
Speaker 1: I think like, and this is maybe tied in a little bit to like the resurgence of transsexual but like, I feel like so many of us are like so exhausted by kind of like mainstream you're so brave like empowerment discourse. So I just thought it was a funny name because like it feels so extreme and like inappropriate to be like I got a sex change. And also it like kind of like the sex change sort of circulates like on daytime TV talk shows in the eighties as like the most fringe thing a person can do. But also it's like today normal people that just like shop at Target and get married and whatever. So I wanted to pick a name that kind of like was in conversation with that historical thing, and then I just put tbt on the end because I thought it would help people maybe understand that it was an archive account. Although I noticed people share stuff and they'll get mad at it because they'll think it's like contemporary discourse. So I don't know how effective the name is, but I like it.
Speaker 2: That's funny, I mean, and I think that's the interesting thing about the page is that a lot of the posts do kind of mirror some of the contemporary discourse. But yeah, I'm a huge fan of it. And like I said up top, like you've through the page, You've introduced me to a lot of transfigures that I never heard of before, and also reminded me of things that I had like long forgotten about as somebody, I've been transitioning for more than fifteen years, and you've reminded me of things that like are from my past and my history where I was like, oh shit, I forgot about that. Hey, listeners, we're going to go on our first break here. We'll be right back with more from Jamie Kayliss. So yeah, let's get into some of those posts that we like from the account. And I didn't categorize mine as well as yours, but maybe we can kind of do this as we go, But yeah, we have some of the posts from the I thought you and I could talk about and just kind of give our commentary on them. So the first one is one that you posted recently as this the Garfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess joint to back up and tell you a little bit about like where I find this stuff, because I feel like that's like a key thing. So like there's this amazing website that I feel like everyone should know about because like it looks like I'm doing a lot of work, but actually they've saved me a lot of time. Which is Digital trans Archive, which sort of like corrals all the trans materials from different collections. So like there's trans archives at New York University, there's trans archives that like USC and digital trans archives like scans all the gender newsletter periodicals, so like between kind of like the seventies and like the serious dawn of the internet maybe in like nineteen ninety six, like the main way that trans people talk to each other was through print newsletters, which are all scanned on digital trans archives. So like, most of the work I'm doing is not like unearthing this stuff from a closet somewhere, although I do do a little bit of that. A lot of it is just like sitting down for twenty minutes and like reading something and like taking screencaps of what's interesting.
Speaker 2: Before we move on, I want to say first just about Digital trans Archive, because you have also introduced me to Digital trans Archive. Next week, Well, I'm interviewing Dallas Denny. So I've oh nice, I've been I've been reading all of like Aegis and Chrysalis and stuff like this and just being like mind blown. So thank you for introducing me to Digital trans Archive. And if you haven't checked it out, please check it out. You could spend hours on that website just sifting through old posts and stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so jealous you're talking to her. She's like, she's such a good writer, and I feel like, like reading all this old stuff, it's like it doesn't feel like homework because it's like people bitching about like whatever their problems were, yeah, which are like quite similar to our problems, so it's like it doesn't actually take a lot to like get interested in it. She comes up in my book. I've kind of been meaning to try to talk to her, so you should.
Speaker 2: She's very prolific, so sorry, let's talk about this Garfield post.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is kind of this is like a post. I'll describe the post first. So it's a cartoon. It says a ts' is worst Nightmare. And on one side it has like a sort of plump and happy Garfield and it says before srs. And then on the other side it has a kind of ragged looking cat and it says, yeah, I think this cat is a famous cat, but I don't know. People in the comments are calling it build a cat, but I've never heard of this cat. But this like falls into like a bigger category of posts that I like from trans newsletters, which is like when they take a comic strip or a cartoon from a normal like mainstream newspaper and they change the text or sometimes they don't even change the text, but like they put it in a context that makes it trans right. So this is like it's very like shit posty contemporary feeling of like, oh, like we're looking at a thing that everyone else in society is looking at it, but like we're seeing it in a distinctly transway. So like another one that I posted on the game, yeah, yeah exactly. And like sometimes like like this other one that was actually the.
Speaker 3: First post on the account.
Speaker 1: It's like a cartoon and it's on the one hand, it shows like a woman scubbing the floor and it says, ten years ago, I was just another oppressed housewife. Today I'm a successful corporate executive accepted by my peers. Sure it worked for me, but a sex change is not for everyone. Like this is just a normal comic that appeared in the paper, essentially making fun of people who get a sex change. But like if you put it in a trans newsletter, all of a sudden, it becomes this like sort of like yeah, so, like I love stuff where it's like things taken out of context and like put into another context. And I think that stuff, like for the most part, plays pretty well on the account. There's like another one that I found that was like a Tellytubby's fan site that was like, here's why all the different Teletubbies are trans. And I think people like do that a lot, right, Like you see that meme today where people will see like a kind of like short chubby man and a tall beautiful woman and they'll be like, it's Steve for T.
Speaker 3: It's ste for T, and.
Speaker 2: It's Sandy Debdo and like, yeah, Cameron Diaz, Yeah, yeah, it's it's like we've been shit posting and meming this whole time basically, Yeah, but through like print newsletter and stuff like that and like these online Like it's amazing one that I have that kind of mirrors that. It's not a comic, but it does mirror the advertisements of the day. It's the aegis PSA, which AGIS is the American Educational Gender Informational Service used to be known. I discovered by looking through some archives. It was originally the Atlanta Educational Gender and Informational Service and Dallas, I guess between the year of nineteen ninety one and nineteen ninety two changed it to American. So I thought that was interesting. So yeah, this one mirrors a car ad of the day. It says, before trading in your old equipment, go for a test drive first, and it goes on to talk about, you know, before you get a sex change, make sure that you have you know, lived in your chosen gender for a time to you know, make sure that you don't regret it basically, and it says, don't be sorry, be sure, and then you know, for more information you can visit Agis, and I just thought this was fascinating because it mirrors like car ads of the day of the nineties, but it's also like kind of an important informational I don't know, for the time, especially because Agis's philosophy was all about depathologizing transsexualism and their philosophy was all about bodily autonomy. But make sure you know the risks and the benefits and things like that. So I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love how this went.
Speaker 1: It's funny because this did not do well on the account at all, I think because people hate the message of it, which is like you have to do this real life test. But like, I think a lot of trans people in that time, and like probably some even today are like like people in their time kind of were thinking about things in terms of like what were the norms available to them?
Speaker 3: Right, So like it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't seem that far fetched to me that like trans people would be like, actually, like the real life test is good. But I just think it's so funny because it's like so like eighties guy car, Like it sounds like it's like advertising a bulick, but it's like advertising a sex change, which I just think is like that's the kind of stuff I love when it's like you can kind of see the like print culture of the time being reflected in like the transprint culture at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, And so yeah, it does talk about the standards of care for the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphory Association, which I don't we don't use the Harry Benjamin scale anymore basically informed consent as the way to go, but I think it's still something important to think about and talk about, you know, because we do have people that detransition and end up regretting having surgeries and things like that, and it's one of those things that I don't think gets talked about in a way that is like free of judgment, free of politics and things like that.
Speaker 1: Enough, unfortunately, Yeah, I mean, like I feel like this is maybe a controversial opinion, but I'm just like, I mean, partly I hate the message of this ad because like, would it be the worst thing if you made a mistake and you changed your mind? Like to me, that's like the ultimate in bodily autonomy is the opportunity to say, like, wow, I've made a grave error and it doesn't end my life and it's not going to make me an outcast from society. I can just like revise my choice and move on with my life. Right. Like the idea that like if you end up being some type of like not passing individual, that it would like necessarily ostracize you from society, I think that's just like an insane way to look at transition, right. I think if detransitioners very much as an ally, no matter how much society wants to like frame them as the enemy of our people or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, no, I agree, But personally I don't hate the messaging. I think people are still going to make the decisions they want to make, but it's like pause maybe for a minute, and have a thought. Right.
Speaker 1: I feel like most people I know are like wrapped up in the anxiety of like, oh my god, if I make this choice, Like like like people will spend years mired in the decision. I know I did, like years miired and kind of the questions about like should I really do this or not?
Speaker 3: And it's like it's not like do or don't do.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's so many points at which you could back out and be like this is actually not the right path for me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, let's talk about the transphobic stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is another category of thing that like people don't like to consume but that I'm obsessed with, which is like old transphobic mainstream culture garbage. So like I love like Sally Jesse Rafael appearances where like trans people go on TV and like like this is like a transcript from the talk show I think it's Heraldo and the title of the episode is Transsexual Regrets. Who's Sorry now? And like I just like this stuff because I guess there's two reasons. One, like sort of transphobic talk shows were like some of the main ways that future trans people came into contact with the idea of transnis or like not the idea of it, but like the actionability of transition. Right, So, like you're sitting in your town and being like I have these weird feelings but I don't want to do it with them, and then like you see this horribly offensive TV show but like you can pull out kernel of it being like, oh, like this is the future that like could possibly exist for me, and like maybe there's a positive thing within that. But also I just like like these sort of artifacts of like vintage transphobia, because like transphobia today is so like strategically organized in this top down way from the right, where like they have a playbook about like how we're going to mobilize people around these fears of like trans women in bathrooms or like our daughters being mutilated and having their breast taken away by surgeons. Right, Like there's a very sort of like prefabricated playbook, but like the transphobia of the past, which still exists today, like the same flavor, but it's very like idiosyncratic rights.
Speaker 3: Like part of it is just like really.
Speaker 1: Prurient interest in like what's going on there, and other parts of it are like this kind of like erotic fixation on like wow, we're like attracted to trans women, but also we like don't know what to do with that feeling, but also we find it abject. Right, It's like kind of all these different feelings that are tied up in this like way that's like not part of a right wing political strategy. It's just like people trying to cope with like exposure to what is to them a totally new phenomenon. And I just find that like so interesting and like obviously offensive, but like there's some like emotional distance from it where you can like see it to be like wow, there like was a time in which like the type of transphobia that exists today that feels so like inescapable was actually like part of this sort of like broader question about like how do we like integrate diversity of all kinds into society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean they have I mean it's like a panel of like different people on here. They have some people regretting section change. I have Kate Boornstein on here, which I find interesting.
Speaker 1: She's a lesbian transsexual in the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, And I'm actually very curious to go back and like watch this and almost see what Kate because I know Kate Bornstein's probably like extremely uncomfortable about all of this because you know basically what they're doing as they're pitting you know, people who have detailed de transitioned regretted having surgeries, which I agree, like that is kind of the pinnacle of bodily autonomy, is to be able to have that ability to make that choice and then eventually regret it if that is the case. But yeah, you have people pitting de transitioners against a trans woman and one transsexual psychologist and one psychologist for transsexuals, which is a very obvious point they're trying to make there is that one as a trans woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's right.
Speaker 1: It's like they've gathered up people that are actually maybe on the same side of an argument, but they've put them as like the two opposing sides. But I wonder like if at the time, like is Kate Bornstein interacting with these people as if they are the enemy. I don't think she would, but like, yeah, I'd be curious see the episode, and I haven't been able to track it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what would be interesting to see is just how they're all dealing with like the narrative that's trying to be pushed by this, you know, by this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like when you go into like the archives of trans newsletters, like there's people talking a lot about like okay, like should we go on these talk shows or not. They're obviously trying to push a narrative like to what extent can we like use this as a way to do outreach, And like there's a very like sort of in the eighties and early nineties, like it's the same like twenty five people doing the talk show circuit and they're always like running into each other in elevators and being like oh you again, like good to see you. So it's like funny that it's like sort of a scene of like who were the public facing transsexuals at that time, and like they were refining their like talk show appearance skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's i mean not too much different from today. Like today we have like the trans people who are like really visible and the ones that are like always out there on the forefront. But now with like social media and stuff like that, it's much easier for more trans people to be visible. I just think it's really interesting because even recently I saw an interview from it was like Jubilee, which produces like these they produce like these video interviews of it was three D transitioners talking to three people who've transitioned and decided, you know, that that was right for them. And it's fascinating because that was released literally like last week, and then this transcript here is almost the exact same thing, but just like a different color of it from February fourteenth, Valentine's Day of nineteen eighty nine, which is mind blowing.
Speaker 1: You know, I would love to write something about de transitioners. I'm like, I'm obsessed with how they're like used like trans people are. Yeah, Like I think it's I I mean, there's I think there was a pretty recent story about I forget the woman's name, but like she was a de transitioner and then she got kind of like mobilized by the right and then she retransitioned and then kind of like has been that's been her project, exposing the right wing architecture.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of like the ex gay movement of the of the nineties. I think it mirrors that quite a bit in this sense. Not like you've got all these like outspoken anti trans detransitioned and I'm not saying everyone who's de transitioned is like that, but you know, those are the people that go on Tucker car go on like Fox News and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I feel like there's like this weird thing too, where it's like no one really seems to talk about the fact that like the vast majority of de transitioners, at least in my understanding and like from people I know, are people who still stay like trans or like queer. It's not people that like they de transition into like norm cis life. A lot of people just like go in one direction and they say, actually, you know, like hormones aren't for me or.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like so it's like I think, like the argument has been framed totally wrong, and it just really mobilizes this way to be like, oh, like this is a permanent choice that will ruin your life, and ideology has affected these crazy.
Speaker 3: People and it's I don't know, it's a load of bullshit.
Speaker 2: And maybe the ages, maybe the ages add that we were looking at before as kind of a the trans community's way of like trying to like protect from that. Okay, do we want to look at the next one? Do we want to look at that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see super commercial.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this was just another one kind of in the in the Transphoba.
Speaker 2: Category in the sense that I consumed this kind of shit as a child and thought that this was what I wanted to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the commercial, I'll describe the premise. It's like a woman's coming home for her high school reunion and she's like sort of an earl. She's like a mid nineties hottie, like tight cheetah print dress.
Speaker 2: Nineties supermodel type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like very sort of like statuesque beautiful, and she's like walking through high school reunion. Everyone's checking her out, and then like she sees a guy and he's like, wait, who are you? I never forget a face, and then it's like Bob Johnson and then she's kind of like m hmmm, like good to see you, like a little bit flirty. And it's funny because like there's nothing outwardly transphobic about the commercial, Like it's like, oh, so she's a hot girl and her friend remembers her and then she like kind of flirts with him. But like just the fact of someone being trans is supposed to be the thing that you're scandalized by. And it was an ad for Holiday Inn and it compares sort of like the money you spend on your sex change with the amount of money that's been spent on Holiday in renovations.
Speaker 3: I guess that's the transphobic thing.
Speaker 2: They released like a copy like a I guess like a brief description of it where it says and Holiday Inn's first super Bowl appearance since nineteen eighty six, So this was their first super Bowl commercial in eleven years that they had made and they decided the transsexual women was like the perfect punchline for their commercial. The transsexual's physical changes since high school are a metaphor for one billion dollars in system wide upgrades.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is bleak.
Speaker 1: I wondara this this actress. I wonder if she trans or SYS.
Speaker 2: She's probably so if I had to gues.
Speaker 1: I wonder how they like cast that. I mean, I would the casting call, I'm sure is awful.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like for Felicity Huffman, Rebecca Remain. I mean, you know, clockysis allies have been haven't been betraying us for years? I say, like as a trans woman, I used to watch those things as a kid and be like, you know, that's me, Like I used to like identify with that. And it's interesting because it does kind of like leave like scars on your psyche almost like just like these uh, like I've talked about before. How like one of the first things in like trans media I consumed was Silence of the Lambs as a kid.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like now you can look back on this stuff and see it in like a kitcher camp way or is it a little bit like oh okay, so like it does sort of feel like formative.
Speaker 2: It does. It does like as I can acknowledge that it's transphobic, I can acknowledge that it's definitely problematic, and but I look back on it with like rose colored glasses almost like I'm like, wow, this is fun, you know, Like for me watching into twenty twenty three, maybe at the time, if I was a trans woman at the time, yeah, I probably would have been pissed off. You know, I probably would have been like, Wow, they made a fucking Super Bowl commercial with a trans woman as the punchline. But now I'm like, wow, you know, this is a moment in trans culture. But yeah, it's camp. To me, It's just all fun and games. All right, listeners, We're going to go on our last break before we wrap up our conversation with Jamie Kayless. Okay, now this one. I'm excited to talk about this one because this one you posted recently, and this one is the Inner Community drama.
Speaker 1: So this one is from Tapestry, which is a It was sort of like the big trans magazine, and it changed titles a lot, which I feel like you'll see reflected in the drama. But it was Tapestry. It was transgender, transsexual tapestry. It was transvestite tapestry. It was just ts tapestry, like it's been every different combination of trans. So this is a letter to the It's two letters to the editor, and the first one is titled too much about Transsexuals, and it's a person complaining that, like, oh my god, the most recent issue it had too much information for transsexuals, like what about cross stressers and like transvestites. And then the other letter is titled too much about cross dressers, and it's someone who's a transsexual saying, oh my god, everything was about cross stressors. There was nothing for transsexuals. So it's like kind of these two camps that like both read the same magazine jostling for like who's the magazine actually for which, Like people loved this post, I think because they're seeing a lot of like non binary versus transsexual drama sort of within it.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely absolutely, That's why I lived for it. I was like, this is fucking incredible, and it was posted two days ago. It has one thousand and forty six likes because so many people have resonated with this one, because it really really does echo what's going on today. Except I just wish they would cross dress.
Speaker 1: Cross dresser has like sort of disappeared from the discourse as a category, and like I don't.
Speaker 3: Really know, like it's still.
Speaker 1: And there's older cross dressers. Yeah, there's people like in their sixties and seventies to cross dress, but like, yeah, like, who do you see as like the analogus to cross dressers boys?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like timboys, gentrified sissycds.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I've been looking like I'm dying to like read some femboy discourse, and I think, because like I'm coming from like trans guy social media, I'm not seeing it. But like, is there like a corner of the Internet where like trans women are doing femboy discourse?
Speaker 2: Yes, there is, and I don't personally care about it. I'll be honest with you. I'm much more interested in going after the people who are not gender bending in the slightest and still waving around the trans flag like every day all day, because to me, it's like those are the CIS people that are calling themselves trans that I'm just like, baby, you just have pronouns that's not being trans. But yes, there are trans women who are mad about femboys, and I'm not one of them personally. I like it because I think we need to be encouraging this type of gender bindy activity that doesn't necessarily mean that somebody has to be non binary or even has to be a trans woman, you know, like why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that what gives people anxiety is like it's like a category scarcity thing, right, Like there's no problem with femboys. It's like, I think people start getting anxious when they're like, well, those people are like someone's gonna mistake me for being in the category that they're in, or like these people are just like not realized versions of what I am or vice versa, right, and people start arguing over real estate when really it's like, I mean, I think what's nice about fenboys is like they've cordoned off their own category and they're not like they they seem sort of like a verse identity politics stuff, and they're very much just like we want to have twitch dreams and like that's kind of the extent of it. So I sort of love them, but like, yeah, they don't seem really like jostling to be in the trans community at all.
Speaker 2: They don't Yeah, but the trans women love to come after them.
Speaker 1: I think cross dressers it's like a little more complicated, right, because like a lot of cross dressing organizations, like in the mid twentieth century to late twentieth century, a substantial number of those people became trans women eventually. So then like they're already sharing kind of like the same institutional space, but like it's a little bit different in the present, right, because like it's very easy for a community to like go off and have their own corner of the Internet and like not be part of the same newsletter and like have to argue over like who owns it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this is an interesting little like relic of the past that wouldn't really make sense in like today's context, because yeah, people would just go find a new sub reddit or something like that. But yeah, there's a lot to be said about like cross stressors becoming trans women and stuff like that. But that's a whole other conversation. Okay, let's look at some of you the and this relates to a lot of your research recently for FtM gatherings and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like a lot of and I don't think I necessarily expected my research to lead me here, But like I became really interested in gender queer because like that was the first category that I had exposure to that like was neither what was caught at the time, like FtM or MTF right, And there was sort of like gender queer, which was this other category. And my book has like a whole chapter kind of getting into like okay, like to what extent is this the same as non binary and to what extent is it different, but like at the same time as gender queer and like predating it a little bit. There was all these other categories that were like circulating in FtM spaces, mostly white FtM spaces. Like one of the big categories was tranny fag right. So like I was trying to figure out, like I mean, obviously it's like pretty self evident what it is, right, it's like a gay trans man, but like it's not quite right because there was all these like before we had sort of like intermediary categories to describe people that were like going in one direction but maybe not going all the way to becoming like a man or a woman. There was like all these ways that like FtM guys were like softening sort of like their relationship to manhood. Right, So, like people were identifying as like a trans boy or just a boy, or like all these kind of different ones that were circulating, and one of them that I found a lot in the archive was tranny fag or transfag. And this kind of like existed before the big community tranny gate, Like it's a racialized category, we maybe shouldn't use it. And there was lots of sort of like young trans guys in their twenties identifying as tranny fags. And there was a huge AOL email list that like was one of the central FtM sort of like communication networks, and like not even all these guys were gay necessarily, but it is like sort of a category that like you could put on FtM to either like soften the sort of madness of it or like mark it as a distinctly queer masculinity or kind of like make it somehow seem like more subversive in a way. Right, Because a lot of people came into like FtM culture in the nineties with a lot of anxieties about like like feminist concerns about like okay, well, like I don't want to be like a man in the way that man exists today.
Speaker 3: I want to be a man in the way I want to be a man.
Speaker 1: So like I'm obsessed with like archival things that document these like bizarre little categories that have died out, and.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about because the bizarre little category has definitely the name for it has died out, but I think it exists still within trans mask culture even just you know, and this I definitely want your perspective on. This is my These are my observations as a trans woman. But my observations as a trans woman are that there are a lot of people on the masculine spectrum of transness that are conflicted about associating with maleness and masculinity. And that's where I find, like I see, I personally see more trans masculine people using the term trans mask. I very rarely see trans women using the term transfem because we don't have any like reservations. I guess about the word woman.
Speaker 1: It's it's fraut, right, because yeah, I like, I don't love. I think I like the categories trans mask and transfem as like if you're looking to talk to like a specific broad constituency of people, right right, But like personally, I don't. I did, Like, so I would say, I'm just looking to talk to transfem people, or like the other day I was looking to talk to like medically transitioning transfem people, right, So like that could be someone non binary or a trans woman. So like it's good for like drawing these big categories. Like I don't identify as like trans mask personally. I mean I know a lot of people do. I think it's like it's obviously a category that I'm in. But like I think, because I was once a woman, I don't see women as an inherently virtual category. And I also don't see man as an inherently a moral category. But also like we're a lot deeper into sort of like many more waves of feminism since the wave of the nineties, right, So like in the nineties, we were like still in sort of like the end of like lesbian separatism and like sort of all these anxieties about like who's really a woman?
Speaker 3: Right? What are the right ways to be a gay woman?
Speaker 1: Whereas now I feel like we've had like third wave feminism and sort of we've had like it's like normal for a man to be a feminist. So like I think personally, I don't have a lot of discomfort about the idea of being a man, but also like I love men, so like I'm not like I don't have a lot of hang ups about it, but like I don't know. It's like it's hard to like condemn other people for like having these sort of like fraud relationships to it, because like none of the gender positions are like great.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I agree, and I'm not necessarily condemning, but I just notice that sometimes those people tend to also hold views that maybe like kind of trans misogynistic because they see people still as like a bio essential view of like male and female even though they're using trans language. Does that make sense? Have you ever seen the Instagram account Worst of Lex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I just followed it this morning. It's such a good account.
Speaker 2: It's a good example of what we're talking about too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's weird because I do think there's like degrees of this, right, Like there's people that are like a very like AFAB core, where they're like I accept any gender and I put it all into the umbrella of AFAB and it's like kind of transphobic in a way. But then there's also just people that are, like I like everyone to the right of man. So it's like it could be a trans woman, it could be a non boundary person, but like, uh fuck this men, right, And like I'm just like very opposed to this thing that like seems to purport that like trans people have some inherently more enlightened relationship to gender. Right, So, like I know lots of trans women that are like total idiots about gender, and I know lots of trans men that are idiots about gender, and I know lots of CIS men that are enlightened in some way that I find like polit respectable. So to me, it's like patriarchy is the enemy, not like men or like male socialization or like whatever you want to call this like sort of like category that people most us in this annoying way.
Speaker 2: Male socialization. My favorite, my favorite dog whistle that they love to which is basically like just call me a tranny, okay, like right, right, it's like say what you mean, right, say what you mean, penis wielder, you know whatever, But yeah, thanks for getting into the discourse with me on that a little bit. And I agree, like it is silly, and I personally have seen lately in the trans community that I feel like there are certain transactivists that are almost trying to like present transness as like the morally right way to be. And I don't personally agree with that. I just think it is just a way of being. I don't think SIS is any better. I don't think trans is any better. I don't think non binary is any better. I just think we are.
Speaker 1: And I think it's funny because it's like people forget that, like trans people just start off as people.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is like like one of my big sort of like drama viewpoints is like I'm really skeptical of like T for T as an ethos, like I love trans people dating each other, but like my my friend Asa Saransin, he's a writer, he calls like sort of like T for T as a politic, like it's the queer of trans right, like people that think of it as like if you'r T for T, it's like somehow the more enlightened position, Like I think anyone should date anyone, and like if you're in a loving relationship, that's great, and like I think it is nice when trans people date each other or like to non binary people date each other or whatever. But it's like, I don't know, you see it like circulating as this like enlightened political position, and like I'm just very skeptical because like I've even seen like transmit and trans women date each other and sort of treat each other like shit.
Speaker 2: So like, yes, yes, absolutely absolutely, but yeah, it's just another relationship.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, I think love can be like very political, but like I also don't think it is inherently so like a lot of sort of like desires tangled up in like all these things that are like not necessarily like virtuous.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Okay, let's look at I had a couple other ones that I wanted to look out. Okay, this one is problematic, and there were things I hated about this one. There were things I liked about this one, the ten Steps to being a Successful transsexual, which I thought some of it was hilarious. Some of it I hate it. But first of all, I love the image. It says, take a walk on the stupid side instead of the wild side, and it's a trans presumably an angry, pissed off trans woman wearing a blue Cross Sucks T shirt and like you know, blowing making raspberries. Yeah, and it says be the obnoxious cry baby you always wanted to be.
Speaker 3: Ya.
Speaker 1: So this is from twenty Minutes, which is an amazing newsletter. I forget who the author is, but like this newsletter is like always running sort of like drama, like like they're always like saying what they would other people don't want to hear, and then like people write in and they're mad, and it's like it provides a lot of great content. But this is like a list of ten steps to a successful transition.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do some of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I liked the first one just because I do know some trans woman with some ridiculous fucking names and it has nothing to do with passing or anything like that. But I'm just like, great, another transo woman with a crazy name. But if you're if you're really tall, muscular and overly male appearing, damn, just call me a brick. Don't pick a frilly, fussy name like Felicia or Betsy Ann, which I just I just thought was hilarious. This third one was a good one. It says do everything you can to ensure success, but be prepared to deal with rejection. Getting all bit out of shape if you get red is counterproductive. So like when they say if you get red getting clocked, if somebody sees you clock to you, just let it roll off your back, baby water off a duck's back, honestly the best way to deal with it. As a trans person.
Speaker 1: Usually I feel like it's great advice, but like easier said than done too.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, it's great advice, easier said than done. I've certainly gone off on people before. I like number four because this is just no matter if your trans or cysts, this is true. Like, no matter who you are, this is true. Don't force yourself down people's throat. Just as you have every right to be who you are, the rest of the world has every right not to like you. And at a certain point I disagree with that because obviously, you know, they don't have the right to like take away my rights, but they don't have to like me. Then there's like some respectability politics.
Speaker 1: And here I think it's funny because it's like this is written as a list of someone being like here's how you should be, but it's also very clearly this person working through like whatever their own anxieties about like sort of like the public face of trans people in America are, which is what's so much Internet discourse about, like someone being like, here's the way you should treat trans people. It's like, oh, this is actually just like you wanting to say how you want to be treated.
Speaker 3: Which I think is very Like.
Speaker 1: That's why I always try to take it with like a grain of salt when I see people doing these sort of insane threads on Twitter about like here's all the things you need to know about trans people, and I'll be like, actually, like I don't agree with this, and I'll be like, oh, right, this is like for this person's own edification. It's not necessarily a declarative statement of truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's interesting to look at those kind of posts through that lens because I think that's very true. And then, of course, just the last thing I like about your page or the trans home pages that you've shared, it's trans home pages. These are just different screenshots that you took, I'm assuming, like on the way back machine, and one of them is reasons to cherish being a transsexual. I read this sometimes for my own betterment and to uplift myself. It says, because being transsexual is often so hurtful, so filled with sadness and longing, with shame and loss and difficulty, it is easy to come to the conclusion that the whole thing is utterly a curse, perhaps inflicted by arcane and evil ancient gods. Oh probably, But there is an upside too. Most human lives are utterly mundane, devoid of any real uniqueness, and the average person supplements through an existence devoted to filling the rules expected of them. Oh, then there's like the FtM Pride Ring. Then you have the trans teene Hangout. It's all of these different homepages. I loved different like trans teens talking about like looking for other people to connect with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I love it. A big chunk of my book is about sort of like ale homepages. And there's a really good book coming out called The Two Revolutions that I think the subtitle is The Transgender Internet. It's by Avery Dame Griff and he writes a lot about like kind of like how homepages and geosites were sort of some of like the first open ended places like where trans people could document their experience. Right, It's like you had the trans memoir before that, but it was very sort of like this linear narrative of like realizing your trans suffering, transitioning then the book ends, or you had sort of like these talk show appearances. But like on homepages people could kind of like organize their experience in these really chaotic ways, right, So like you could have like yourself dressed in your women's clothes, but you could also have men's clothes, but you could also have like stuff about like how you like to watch baseball, right, So like it was like a way to bring together kind of like all the different parts of a person in a way that was like a lot more holistic than anything that had existed before. But I also just love them because they're like I mean, also, it's like some of the first time you see like young people really be part of trans media, right, because like kids don't have addresses to receive like a trans newsletter, So like you start seeing like nineteen year olds or like seventeen year olds making these kind of websites and they're very sort of like comic sands, like bad HTML like selfies on like a grainy camera. I just love this stuff, and this is like I feel like people love to see this on the account because like they remember kernels of it from being much younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you shared I think you've shared screenshots before Susan's Place, which was one of my first ever websites that I ventured to learn about myself, and that just like took instantly took me back. But yeah, it's a great Instagram account. Thank you so much for sharing those posts with us. Before we close out the episode, I've been talking a lot of my guests about this. I've had Julia Sarano on recently. I've had Calpernia Adams on recently. I've had a bunch of like trans elders on recently, and we've been talking about the euphemism treadmill, that activist language, carousel, whatever you want to call it, and on the podcast we don't really We just use whatever language that we want to use to describe the trans experience. What are your thoughts as you've been writing your book, as you've been going through these archives on the evolution of language in our community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's something I now spend probably ninety percent of my time thinking about, just like on a personal level, I started writing this book very much identifying as non binary and kind of as I've like sorted out what that category is, like I go back and forth on a day to day basis of like am I in this pool people?
Speaker 3: Am I not? Something?
Speaker 1: Also I've been really delighted by is like the resurgence of transsexual and thinking about that because when I interview older people, they're always sort of like scandalized or delighted in this like funny way. And I think people like it a lot because, like I mean, I think there's a camp of people that like it because it like delineates them from non binary people, as like we are sort of like medically transitioning people that have a distinct experience.
Speaker 3: But then also there's people that.
Speaker 1: Just like it because it feels so like scandalous in comparison to sort of like liberal inclusivity discourse, to be like I'm a transsexual and you can't say that because you're not trans. And so that's been really fun to kind of track. But like on a I don't know, I think like on a personal level, I'm a lot less concerned with sort of like identity terminology, and I've started to frame it a little bit more around questions of like desire and solidarity, right, So like the first question would be like, well what do I want? Right, Like what are my specific desires for myself? And like those don't have to really square with categories, and then sort of like who are my people?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And like who am I in solidarity with? Like when I think about myself, like I don't know, I'm like a worker and a communist before I'm trans, right, so like my solidarity is with like working people, or like my solidarities are like against capitalism, and like there are plenty of trans people who I would like not think of myself necessarily as in solidarity with, and like those things sort of transcend identity categories a lot for me. I don't know, I think trans just like as a big umbrella is good because like it's confusing. So it's like like I don't know, I think like my my girlfriend is a non transitioning, non binary person, and like we have really different experiences, right, And like I think a lot about like Okay, well, like are we a tea for tea couple? No, but we're also not a transfer cist couple. So it's like I think a lot of times like categories sort of fail to describe like what sort of the dynamics between people are. And I think it's a lot better sometimes to just say, like, Okay, well, who are we actually talking about here, Like who are we addressing? What do these groups have in common? What don't they have in common? And like that just demands like a much more ROBUSTI course, than I think we have on the mainstream right now. But I don't know, I kind of have faith we're going to get there, because like, what's the alternative? We never get there and we just like have hair splitting arguments forever.
Speaker 2: Right until the end of time. Yeah, I think usually when I talk to the trans elders about the resurgence of the word transsexual, they're surprised because they're afraid to use the word transsexual because, you know, for the past I don't know how long it's been beaten in their heads that like that's like not the word anymore, and now people are using it again to talk about our specific experience, as I like it for both reasons to be able to talk about my specific experience and also because it is a more scandalous it's a less marketable term. It's a less you know, it's it's just it's just I just like it for those times.
Speaker 1: I think it's those things when I scan through all the accounts that I follow from the account, because I'll follow back like I don't know anyone that seems kind of interesting, or like when I'm in the mood to fall people, and like I think it's just so funny, Like I felt there's like probably two hundred accounts that are like TS Britney Spears, TS whatever, right, Like I feel like everyone like wants to attach it to sort of like it's like a way to make a normal pop culture thing trans.
Speaker 3: It's like that always makes me laugh.
Speaker 1: Like some of the accounts, like if you scroll through who who I'm following, like it's just some of the best most insane user names ever. It's like it's just I don't know. I feel like like being in the archive has made me a lot more sympathetic to people in the present, but then also scrolling through the feet of the account makes me be like I hate every trans person who's not me, but also I love all of them, and like I think it it's like a very It's been a lot of fun and I'm just learning so much and a lot of times people comment and they know a lot more than me, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: I love the account. Thank you for following me, Thank you for finding me interesting enough.
Speaker 3: So compelling, eminently compelling.
Speaker 2: Ah, thank you. I appreciate that. Well, Jamie, would you like to give us your socials and any other places people can find you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can just follow the account at sex change dot tbt on Instagram. That'll kind of connect you to all my other things. I on Instagram, I got substack. If you can stand to open the New York Times, I'm in there a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's that's about it. I'm all over the internet.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Thank you so much for being here today, Jamie. It was great to be with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a lot of fun. All right, listeners. That brings us to the end of this week's episode of Beauty Translated. I hope we'll enjoy. As we are wrapping up this season, the next few episodes I have planned for us. We spoke with Jamie about our trans history, and next week I'm going to be speaking with a woman who actually was creating the history. Her name is Dallas Denny. She is the woman behind Chrysalis Magazines and TSTV Tapestry, which were trans publications the eighties and nineties, long before we had internet to be able to learn about the trans experience. So stay tuned for next week's episode. I hope you'll enjoy it. As we close out this Pride Month, we're going to be extending our Pride Month programming into the month of July, because we celebrate Pride here at Beauty Translated Podcast three hundred and sixty five days a year, not just during the month of June. So I hope you'll enjoy our Pride programming that we have coming up in the month of July. Stay Beautiful Bye. Beauty Translated is hosted by me Carmen Laurent and produced by Kurt Garan and Jessica Crinchinch, with production assistance from Jennifer Bassett. Special thanks to Ali Perry and Ali Canter for their support. Our theme song is composed by Aaron Kaufman. Beauty Translated is proud to be part of the Outspoken Network from iHeart Podcasts. For more iHeart Podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.