Speaker 1: I Am all in Again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's guess you.
Speaker 3: I Am all in Again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, take a big whiff of that. That is pop culture. Baby. Hi, my name is Easton Allen. You just heard Scott Patterson say that name a few seconds ago. This is the I Smell pop Culture podcast on I Am All In Again and iHeart Radio Production one eleven Productions all that other stuff. Hey, everybody, how you doing. We're having a lot of fun here and if you're just joining us, this is what we do. We take the pop culture references that are just peppered and scattered throughout Gilmore Girls, and we dissect them. We distill them, and we talk to the people that made them things. We talk to the people that made them pop culture moments. We're talking to a big one today that I will reveal to you in just a second. I'm going to tell you what the pop culture reference is if you want to fire it up on Netflix, Hulu, start TV, wherever you watch gil More Girls. We're going back to season two, episode one. This is Sadie. Sadie. Now, just to set the stage, Lorelei is considering getting engaged to Max. At this point he hasn't officially asked her, but she's discussing it. And in this part of the episode where our pop culture reference of doujour occurs, Dean is coming over to Rory and Laurele's house and Laura's on the phone with Max. They're talking about potentially getting engaged. She hangs up the phone and Dean asks Loura, so, what's the movie for tonight? And Loralai says, oh, my god, a classic, and Rory says, the Joan and Melissa Rivers story starring and LORELEI finished those air sentence Joan and Melissa Rivers a mother and daughter torn apart by tragedy. Rory and Lauray kind of trade off here with suicide not getting it's night show, me and boyfriends identical noses. Rory says, you'll laugh, you'll cry, and the Laura I says, because it'll be laughing so hard it'll be an evening to remember. Then Loralai finishes and says, in a pivotal scene where a very distraught Joan gets locked out of high holiday services because she's late, I will be forced to rewind it and play it over and over about four thousand times, and then Rory says he'll never be the same before walking off a very excited moment. They're clearly huge fans of this Jonah Melissa Rivers movie. And in case you want to watch along with our friends Rory and Laurli and Dean, the movie is actually titled Tears in Laughter the Jonah Melissa river Story. It came out in nineteen ninety four. I watched it on YouTube. You can do the same. Here's the thing about this movie. Rory and Lorali act like it's they're like making fun of it. It's clearly a like kind of kitchy like fun to make fun of thing like you watch it ironically. I fired this bad boy up and I was ready. I was ready to just laugh it up, to have some yucks over here. And what I found instead was a sincerely touching, emotional story about a mother and a daughter reeling from the sudden and unexpected suicide of their father, A very tragic story, and it was not. I did not find this to be something to make fun of. I truly did not, and I will. I am a KITCHMEI sir, I have done some truly maddening things just to laugh at it, and this one I did not find worthy of that laughter. I really it's really a touching story, and I think it's a really important exploration of grief and how it affects family, how it affects mothers and daughters. And I do want to take this opportunity to say that if you or anyone you know is struggling with suicide or self harm, the number you can call is nine to eighty eight. That is a suicide crisis lifeline. And when you watch this movie on YouTube, that number is displayed at the bottom of the frame, and I think that is very cool. But on a lighter note, Joan Rivers is one of the funniest people that has ever lived. Like truly, I don't know how much you know about Joan Rivers, dear listener, but for me, I think just a passing understanding is like, oh, she was a comedian in the you know, seventies in the eighties, and she had a lot of plastic surgery and she's the butt of the joke a lot of the time. Joan Rivers is sincerely one of the fun not just one of the funniest women. She gets scriped into that a lot, and it's very upsetting. One of the funniest people humans that has ever walked to the planet. I don't know if you know this about her. She had this like catalog in her office. She kind of logged every joke she ever wrote, and she had like seventy thousand jokes. She's so funny. This movie is so is very sad and it's very emotional, but it's also extremely funny. There are so many jokes packed into this movie, and I loved it. I had a great time watching this movie. I did not, like feel the need to kick back in like rewind it. Specifically the part that Laura I is talking about rewinding and laughing at, in my opinion, not a funny part of the movie. It's not even like to make fun of. It's a it's just a sad moment. I kind of I don't get Loralai here, Like, why do you want to make fun of again? I will make fun of anything. I love making fun of stuff. I did not feel that that scene was worthy of it. So I hope that you indulge and watch it yourself and make up your mind. But you know what we're talking to Melissa Rivers today we're talking to Jones's daughter. We tragically lost a Joan Rivers in twenty fourteen, but her daughter, Melissa is going to join us today and we're going to talk all about this movie. We're going to talk about the legacy for her mom. We're going to talk about working with her mom. I mean, they're like kind of a Rory Loralai combo themselves, Joan and Melissa Rivers. So we're gonna get Melissa on right now. She's in the waiting room. She's banging on the door. Melissa Rivers, the legend. Lisa Rivers, thank you so much for hanging out with us today. I'm so excited to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 4: And please don't use the word legend. If you're a legend, it means you're done.
Speaker 1: No, No, legends can be continuous and ongoing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to tell my son that.
Speaker 1: All right, excellent. So the first thing I want to talk about with you today is that this is a Gilmore Girls podcast and there is a reference to you and your mom in the show, specifically the movie Tears and Laughter. The Jonah Melissa Rivers story.
Speaker 2: A bleak moment for me that I was arm twisted into.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so curious about I watched the movie today and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much. I like I had heard about it and I was I'm like, Okay.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be kitchy whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. I was like, you know, I'm like, oh, you know, I'm sure it's fine, but I'll laugh at this or whatever. No, I was so locked in. I'm not just saying this. I think it's a sincerely a very powerful movie. It's so funny, it's so legitimately funny, and it deals with grief in such an important way. I do not think it deserves any of the criticism it gets.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that makes me feel a little less dick about it about doing something that.
Speaker 2: I was talked into.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so I'm curious. How did that come about? You filmed it in Vancouver, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: I forget.
Speaker 4: Someone came to us one of the networks and they wanted to do it, and I thought it was just our story, and then somehow it became about us doing it, and as us I never realized, like that was not as far as I remember, what was pitched to me and suddenly that's what it turned into.
Speaker 2: And there you have it.
Speaker 4: You know, people always think there's these great backstories. Generally there are not great backstories to anything, you know, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. I get it. So originally it was going to be someone else playing you and your mom. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes? Wow, that was the original and I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously it was very forward thinking because it hadn't been done, so in that sense it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, you know, I that's not how it.
Speaker 1: Started, gotcha. I mean, and you had I mean you start acting when you were like ten years old, right, so this was but playing yourself. That's such a such a different type of thing. How did that feel? The first? Do you remember much from like making those persons?
Speaker 2: Really don't remember? Yeah, a lot of specifics.
Speaker 4: I do remember that the house we shot in was a house that a lot of places, a lot of shows used, and it was supposedly haunted.
Speaker 2: Really, I can remember that. I do remember that very clearly.
Speaker 1: I love that a ghost story always makes.
Speaker 4: Things, so I remember that, and you know, I just remember being in Vancouver and all that kind of stuff. But I don't really remember a lot of the day today. I do remember it was always very exciting when the coffee truck came around, the good coffee truck, all right. And I do remember that that one house was supposedly haunted and it had an indoor pool.
Speaker 1: Oh that's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great house.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of dialogue in this movie that is like really fast and quippy and just like like especially between you and your mom, just like trading jokes back and forth. She strikes me as someone that would try to cram as many jokes as she could into a scene. Is that is that accurate?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously funny was always first on the list. Yeah, but you know, if something went more improvisationally during the scene, great, But if not, you know, you do you have to do it as they want it and then you can play after. Yeah, make sure it's in the camp and then you can go and have a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, the I mean the movie is for those of you who haven't seen Tears in Laughter, the general Melissa River story. It's about the loss of your father to suicide and so tragic and the struggle you and your mom go through after that moment. How did it feel to relive that period of your life making this movie?
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: That must have been so challenging, you know.
Speaker 4: Again, yeah, I haven't thought about it. I mean, my dad died in eighty seven, so it's really something like I haven't even thought about the.
Speaker 2: Movie in twenty five years unless it comes up in some sort of a way.
Speaker 4: So it's hard to sort of think about what was it like, Yeah, I mean, like I said, the memories I have of it or have nothing to do with the actual movie. I remember Dan Cortes, the old MTV sports guy, was there making a TV show with George C. Scott, so that I knew Dan back from my MTV days, and you would see George c. Scott in the hotel bar and that was uber cool, awesome. But that's like literally the memories I have of it. You know again, I try and live very much in the present. It doesn't mean that I don't remember the past, but like specifically this movie, it's like, oh my god, it was literally you know how over half it was?
Speaker 2: It was over half a lifetime ago. Yeah, you know, and it was and it was not.
Speaker 4: An easy time in my life. Yeah, so I guess. I guess in some ways it was cathartic, but I never really gave it that much thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get you, there's and I promise this would be the last thing we talked about the movie. But it ends the way it ends. I started bawling. I started, like, legitimately, it was such an emotional moment. It's with your mother, black background, and she's looking to the camera and she says she's talking about the gift of having a daughter. And she says, sure, you bicker, and you complain, you criticize, sometimes you even separate, but it doesn't matter because beneath it all, you're going to find out you've given birth to your own best friend. I'm trying to say out of that crying, it's such a powerful moment for me, and that the relationship between mother and daughter is also a key part of Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's a complicated relationship either, very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, even the best ones are complicated.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes. I wanted to ask, like, what what is special to you about that specific relationship between you and your mother and mothers and daughters, mothers and daughters.
Speaker 4: It's first of all, anyone who says that they get along all the time is lying, you don't. You simply do not. It's always complicated. And that's what I always say to people, even the best ones of My mom and I had a really good relationship, it was complicated, and especially because we worked together also, so it would get very complicated and we were very different people, but there was you know, he's the only person in the world you could truly count off is your mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that doesn't.
Speaker 4: Matter if you're a daughter or not. Your mom is the one in general. I know I'm making sleeping generalizations. Your mom is the one that you can always count on, you know, And I think that that has is but you.
Speaker 2: Know, even with boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm the mother of a son, you know, I know when the ships sitting in the fan, I'm the one that gets the phone call.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah, that's that's how it is for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just it is what it is. And I think that you know, it's it's.
Speaker 4: It's a relationship that needs to constantly evolve. Yes, and that's very hard too, you know, and especially like when you have kids and it gets more and more and more complicated. But if you always know that the person is not trying to sabotage you, even when they feature child pizza and ice cream before dinner and then have the audacity to talk to you about that. I need to be one sorry, not talking about myself. Needs to be make them better about eating their vegetables. I must always remember that. Keep it. It's come from a place of love, not total sabotage. And it appears to be sabotage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what advice do you have for new parents out there that are trying to like figure this out?
Speaker 2: Oh oh god, being a new parent.
Speaker 4: Enjoy it while they're just blobs and you can pick them up and they have no opinion. Like that part goes way too fast. As soon as they have an opinion. It's never never as much. Life was so much better when you could they're just blobs and you can pick them up and go.
Speaker 2: They don't have opinions, you can. It's all on your terms.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it so. Your mother Joan Rivers is one of Amy Sherman Palladino the creative Gilmork Girls. It's one of her favorite comedians. Marvelous Missus Masel is heavily inspired by your mom. How does it feel? To see her legacy influence comedy. I mean even today.
Speaker 4: I mean that to me honestly, I've never watched an episode of Missus Masel, which is it's disappointing for me because everyone says I would love it, and I doore a door A door, A door, Rachel, Yeah, a door. On a personal level or professional I love her, you know, it's it's it's it's really cool. It's really cool that she's finally getting the props she deserves because she didn't get them during her lifetime. Yeah, And so there is something very bittersweet for me about that, because part of me wants to go, really, you couldn't have given her a little bit of a cookie while she was alive.
Speaker 2: But on the other hand, she'll never be forgotten.
Speaker 4: And this has this tremendous legacy, Yes, I and a good legacy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember the documentary A piece of work from twenty ten. I loved that documentary And there was so much I never knew about her that I learned from that how And I know that, like we just had this big celebration of her life recently, that you were a major part of what is something about your mother? Joan rivers that you hope people discover in these days in the future, that she was.
Speaker 4: Real, that it was a real person, that it was an insecure person, that she was the most generous, the warmest, you know, sensitive, cared, you know, and that's who she was as a person, even though on stage it was always cutting edge and pushing the boundaries and all that. But she always said, and always frustrated her that people never understood that you have to be so famous and so much a part of the public conversation that people can then take the leap and understand.
Speaker 2: A joke about you.
Speaker 4: Yes, And She's like, people would get like, how could you say that? She's like, do you not get how big you are? Everyone in the world understands not just the joke, but why it's funny?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, like it is the ultimate compliment.
Speaker 1: It really is it really? I love that way of looking at it. It's it's incredible. Uh. Something else from that documentary that I learned that I was really curious about was the the joke catalog, Like, so seventy thousand jokes.
Speaker 2: In this something like that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you ever poke around in there? Was that like just around that, Like do you have any memories of the of the joke catalog.
Speaker 4: It was always in the office, yeah, you know, and again it's not the kind of you know, every now and again I'd be like, walk by, look at something. Again, it's it was literally part of the furniture of the office, you know. So it again when you don't understand, like I didn't understand the value of it until.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, I understood like it was a really big deal.
Speaker 4: But one of the things they were trying to do and do it do at the same time was trying to digitize everything.
Speaker 1: Yoh, yeah, wasn't undertaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, but the card catalog, what it represents now is so tremendous.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, absolutely. We're talking to Melissa Rivers here on the Ice Smell Pop Culture Podcast. We're going to take just a quick break, everybody, We'll be right back. It's the Ice Smell Pop Culture Podcast. My names Easton Allen. We're hanging out with Melissa Rivers here talking about her mom, the legendary Joan Rivers. What a tremendous legacy. You worked with your mom on so many projects, and I'm curious, like, what was it like once you started like working with her as a collaborator, Like, how was like working Joan different from like Joan as your mom.
Speaker 4: Well, it was always two different people. But I was always smart enough to know, like she really does know what's funny. Yeah, so and if it doesn't work, she's the first one to pull it out. But it's hard. It was, you know, it's a hard relationship to figure out because I was also the producer of these shows of course, so it's you know, it was about managing talent, it was about being a partner. We intrinsically had and really found our own rhythm. So as a team, it was amazing because once we found.
Speaker 2: It, it was unspoken.
Speaker 4: She'd be like I know. She'd be like, okay, I need to I know, I get it. I'll say you put you there, blah blah blah blah, And people be like, there was not an actual verb in that sentence, in that sentence, but yet we knew exactly where the other one was going. And that's part of being a team. That's part of being a duo, is you have that connection.
Speaker 1: What's what's one of the fondest memories you have, Like was there a particular project, Like was it Fashion Police of working with your mom on something collaborative.
Speaker 4: I think it was when the Red Carpets finally hit their stride. Yeah, because we knew what we were doing and we knew.
Speaker 2: How to hit it out of the park.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we knew.
Speaker 4: And I think that was always the most fun, was when we were really in the rhythm of doing that and over a couple of years where it was at its height, it was.
Speaker 2: Boom boom, boom, boom boom.
Speaker 4: And I look back now and like, oh my god, you know we, Shane, You know, we were part of turning walking into a building into an event. Absolutely, we created a business you know who knew?
Speaker 1: Yes, no, for real. So, speaking of I do have some fashion questions for you. Is there a fashion trend here in twenty twenty five that you like On Fashion Police he would have just like completely roasted? Or is something that you want to take kind of take some shots at?
Speaker 2: Oh god, what with fashion have I disliked this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh there's been been Oh's.
Speaker 1: So many exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Victor, what have we hated this year? Fashion wise?
Speaker 4: I've paid so little attention to fashion this year just because of everything going on in the world that it's you know, been the world. It's a big dumpster fire that I cannot even begin to think about.
Speaker 2: What I know.
Speaker 4: A trend that really irritated me was when the bows came back and all these adult women are wearing those bows.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like.
Speaker 4: It's one thing to see it on the runway and it might be kind of cute, it might be kind of pretty, you know, but we don't need to go back to the nineties clipping giant bows that. But that's been one that started before this year that was really aggravating to me. It really started right around the Olympics last year that I found just and it was aggravating.
Speaker 1: Just absolutely infuriating. I completely get you. I sapped wearing bows in my hair personally, thank goodness, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: There was one there was one TV personality that really bought into the trend and one of my two of my girlfriends were.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, dear God, there's a bow again.
Speaker 4: Like every time we saw her with a bow, he would take a screamshot or stick a send the link or like, oh God, the bow's back.
Speaker 2: Because she abused the trend. Yes, he abused the trend.
Speaker 1: What do you think of this La Boo boo trend, the little stuffed animals.
Speaker 4: They are so freaking creepy. Yeah, Like I saw one and I had one. It was much cuter when you got it dressed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, But I'm just.
Speaker 4: Like, really really, But when I first took it out of the box, I'm like, this thing is creepy looking. But I had to admit after I put its little clothes on it, it actually kind of became cute. Would I collect them?
Speaker 2: No? Would I hang it on my purse?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: You know, it's.
Speaker 4: It's just one of those things that ends up just taking space on your in your closet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get you a percent.
Speaker 4: Like for little kids, I get it. It's all these adults you know that I don't like. I get it, but I don't get it or don't get it.
Speaker 1: Everyone I work with has them hanging off their their bags when I'm walking to the office.
Speaker 4: It's like a huge and I have to tell you, I I once it. Once you put the clothes on it, it was much cuter. Yes, I had to admit that it was really cute after that. Would I continue to collect absolutely not?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: And then lavooboo fashion, that's a whole nother thing like mine had.
Speaker 2: Mine had a little airmez sweat and.
Speaker 1: Being cute, Okay, very chic.
Speaker 2: That's when I thought it was cute.
Speaker 1: I would expect nothing less from you.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, That's when I'm like, oh, it really is kind of cute. But again, I bequeathed it to someone's teenage daughter who was like beyond excited.
Speaker 1: The right thing to do. There's so many red carpets with you and your mom, is there is there one moment that really stands out to you, Like when you think back on that period of life that you think fondly of, do you have like a favorite memory from that? I know it's a big question, but I.
Speaker 2: Have lots of little snippets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, there was a great moment with my mom and Robin Williams. There was a great moment I remember with my mom and Jim Carrey that was so funny.
Speaker 2: There were you know, for me, it's it's all.
Speaker 4: Little snippets, Yeah, little one liners and conversations. You know where she the one with Jim Carrey. He was wearing some sort of a flower pin or whatever, and she's like, so she goes, I don't like the pen and so he ripped.
Speaker 2: It off and threw it on the ground.
Speaker 4: You know, it's stuff like that that you just go it was and it has gone, you know. I mean, you know, and anytime you got my mom with any of the comedians, it was hilarious, whether it was Whoopy was any of them, you know, because they got to play.
Speaker 2: And watching that level of comedians it's like ten.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean, it's like watching Michael Jordan, you know, it's it's it's so it's yeah.
Speaker 4: But those interviews with like my mom and Robin Williams on the carpet, it's it's amazing my mom or one of our very first red carpets, my mom and Dustin Hoffman were hilarious.
Speaker 2: He tried to pick her up and carry her inside.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I mean it's those moments that you remember.
Speaker 1: Is there is there a joke that your mom would tell that like that you remember? Do you have like a favorite joke of hers?
Speaker 2: Oh? God, no, so many of them run through my head. It depends on the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a favorite joke, Oh, it was what about first wives and second wives? That always do you get a whole run on that that I always gound very funny. You know, if you die, have everything buried on you, every jewelry. If the next bitch wants it, let her dig.
Speaker 2: For it, you know what I mean. Like stuff like that. I just thought was so on the money.
Speaker 1: I love it. There was a really quick moment in the movie Tears and Laughter where she's dropping you off at college and the guy that's meeting you there is like, oh, hi, I'm a big fan, and Joe goes, yeah, you and three other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so so funny. Melissa Rivers, You're just so great. Thank you so much for having I have one more question for you. It's just kind of a weird question. Okay, good, good.
Speaker 2: We've warned, especially now that we got the bow out.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, now that the bows are gone? What does pop culture smell like to you? If pop culture had an odor, what would it be?
Speaker 4: Oh god, that's a great question. What would pop culture smell like?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I don't want to be like, oh, popcorn, because that would be stupid and obvious. I think I think each pop culture, I think every decade would have a different smell.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 4: I think every decade would have a different smell.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's pick one. What about the nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh, weren't we all into the Petchouli oil?
Speaker 4: Yes, with grunge, Yeah, the nineties would smell like petchuli for sure. Or oh god, what was that perfume? One of that oh Calvin Klein obsession. Yeah, like you know, that's what it would smell. That's what that's what it would smell like. The late eighties early nineties would smell like Calvin Klink obsession. The later nineties, like with grunge and all that would definitely smell like petuli.
Speaker 1: What a great answer. Now I want to I want to whiff those things again. Exactly so much, Melissa, You're so cool.
Speaker 4: You made this so simple and easily, so much, so much fun. I got to ask you, why do you have a container of caramel corn that looks like it could be really old over your shoulder?
Speaker 1: This is embarrassing. That's a that's actually a crown that's in there. And it was Do you know arc Light Cinemas? Do you remember them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Okay, this isn't for the podcast, but they had a caramel corn at ArcLight Cinema's that was very popular and they did a promotion in twenty nineteen called the Summer of Caramel Corn, and I thought it was confusing and I didn't know what they were doing. So I emailed them and said, are you going to do like a caramel corn princess like they do at the Rose Bowl? And they're like, I don't know, I haven't thought about it. And then I got all my friends to email them and demand that i'd be the Caramel Corn Princess. And they did it. They crowned. That's a crown. They gave me in a sash and I was the Caramel Corn Princess that year.
Speaker 4: I love that because I am now in the presence of true pop culture royalty.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, thank you so much for Willison Rivers. It has been so exciting.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Have a great day you too, hey, everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.