Speaker 1: Hello. My name is Jason and Sepsio and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to x re Envision, the podcast where we dive deep been to your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from iHeart Podcast, where we are bringing you to action packed episodes a week, every Tuesday and Thursday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, there's just one topic, baby, that's you know what it is.
Speaker 3: It's The Acolyte. We've been waiting for it and it is here.
Speaker 2: So in the airlock, guess what we're gonna be discussing the first two episodes of That Acolyte on Disney Plus with full spoilers, So listenableware, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: The Acolyte season. On episode one, we open with a crawl with a not quite a bit crawl, but more like.
Speaker 2: A it's a little it's a couple of steps, A couple of steps, yeah, not a full crawl.
Speaker 1: That basically tells us that where we are in time, we're one hundred years before the Rise of the Empire, the peak of the Jedi Order. Rosie, where would you date the rise of the Empire too? Do you date it to like the end of the Clone Wars or do you date it to like Order sixty six, I would.
Speaker 2: Probably say if they're talking about the Rise, I would say, like.
Speaker 3: The end of the Clone was.
Speaker 2: But I also thinking of Luke Becus film and the way this stuff is, I wouldn't be surprised if the hundred years they're talking about is just to Order sixty six.
Speaker 3: It's I think that being I think they may be being purposefully vague, which I think that.
Speaker 1: That's wise on their part, because you don't want to get painted into a quarter back to the recap. But independent Force users across space and time are forging their own relationships with the power that binds the galaxy, side stepping the directives, some would say, the overly authoritarian.
Speaker 3: Directives, definitely in this era.
Speaker 1: Of the Jedi Order. That's one thing we should say right away is this is one of the most critical mm hmm pieces of Star Wars storytelling with regards to the Jedi Order. Like it's openly like are they are they doing it the right way?
Speaker 2: I was kind of blown away by how openly critical this is of the Jedi, and not just in something I really like about this is not just in a way of those kind of like gotcha like they're doing something bad. It's actually in these different characters and representations of how the Jedi behave and what they believe, and you kind of build up to this feeling of.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe we were right.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Jedi being completely in control wasn't a good thing.
Speaker 1: We meet an assassin who has tracked a Jedi master master in Dara to a cantena, and the assassin has a hand to hand fighting style which she augments with the force, a kind of raw force talent, and she has knives that she throws clearly guided by the force. Also in Dara, you get the sense that in Dara is just kind of getting the measure of this assassin and that without too much difficulty, could beat her, but wants to see what she can do. She recognizes her attacker you can see from her reaction, but when in Dara is distracted by having to save the life of a bystander, the assassin gets the opening she needs and sinks a blade right into her chest. I love this opening action sequence of nods to the matrix.
Speaker 2: I kind of love that they cast carry Am Moss. Everyone was like, oh my god, Carry.
Speaker 1: You were right, this is what we were right by the way.
Speaker 2: We were right, I thought she was gonna die, But I love that it feels almost like because of the Wujia influences the wirework that we get here, I feel like they said, hey, this is really influenced by the matrix. Let's have carry Ann play a part in this story, like, let's bring her in as one of these Jedi that this assassin is hunting down.
Speaker 3: I love this opening fight scene.
Speaker 2: I think it's really really cool, and as we get more into it, it also is like a key part of the story that this assassin fights that way.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere, Osha, a mechnic who looks identical to our assassin but is clearly not her, wakes up to start her workday. She's working on a Trade Federation ship. The officials on board are quite desperate to get where they're going to unload some very sensitive cargo, and it was I have to say, it was interesting to see the Trade Federation again. Yes, they clearly took something of the initial very bad in my in my estimation characterization of the Trade Federation from the prequel movies and kind of iterated on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, playing it in a less terrible way. I agree, But they're still up to Shenanigans. They're still I mean, it's the Trade Federation. Also, can I just say, Osha is so Calcastis coded. She sets up, she's got her little ball, and she's like and she's wearing a little jacket and she's she's doing some mechanics, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I feel like Leslie Hedlund, who is.
Speaker 2: The showrunner of the show also the showruner of The Incredible Russian Doll on Netflix. She's talked about being a nice of the Old Republic fan, of being a Expanded Universe fan, but I want to know if she's also like a Jedi Survivor fan, because I feel like, oh is so much like Calcastis that I was getting it even feels like you're walking.
Speaker 3: Around his room, you know, in the ship. I loved that intro.
Speaker 2: And I just thought Amandla did such a good job defining those those two roles in that moment.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, that was what you want? What did the cops show up? The fuck isn't the fucking cop show? Gold Jackets a Night of the Jedi Order. Jord Fandar and his padawan Tassi are looking for Osha because, as we all saw, she matches to a t Uh the description of the assassin of Master Indar, and apparently Osha was once a Jedi in training. Ohan knows yord they were at the Jedi Temple.
Speaker 3: Together a bit of history there.
Speaker 1: Yep, they interrogate Osha, who again they suspected Nadar's murder. We learned that Osha was brought to the Jedi eight after her entire family was wiped out by something.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, they point out, is very late for padawan.
Speaker 3: And so, by the way, yes, they're not just making child soldiers.
Speaker 2: They're making baby soldiers like eight is old to become a Jedi.
Speaker 1: And we should also note that throughout history the Jedi Order has like bent the rules or let in students later than they usually would, and those always end up being the notable ones. Don't they baby like that?
Speaker 2: Maybe you should learn something about that bringing them in at like ten maybe. So.
Speaker 1: Apparently Indara played some kind of role in OSHA's leaving of the Jedi Order, though Osha insists that it was all her decision, and she's like, I didn't do this, I would never kill her. Why would I do that? And then all of a sudden Jord brings in the barkeeper from the cantina, who immediately says, that's her, she did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who buy today?
Speaker 2: The assassin left thee because she saw that he had a child with him, So the assassin clearly has some kind of emotional kind of moral compass even though they are assassinating these Jedi.
Speaker 1: Right, not full Anakin, but like not a full Anakid killer. We go to Corusan, the Jedi temple. We meet Jedi Master Soul, who is training a group of patawans. His colleague Master Venestra brings Saul the news that the suspect in his friend master in Dara's murder has been caught and also it's his former padawan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Saul is like, what, no way, Osha, I can't believe this, you know, me and and Dara. We saved OSHA's life apparently and involved there was some kind of devastating fire that wiped out her entire family and they saved her from that. Venestra is like, well, listen, this murder is just bad pr like the aactics are terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people think they can just go around murdering Jedi, Like, what's gonna happen it's gonna go badly.
Speaker 3: Oh, I just want to say as well.
Speaker 2: So there's two things about this that I think is really important. One, we're getting Vanestra around from the High Republic. Everybody loves her, everyone's really excited to see her. But I did love the in our discord, people are like, what happened in the last like one hundred and twenty three years to make us such like a sad sack? Like she used to be fun and now she is like a job's worth who loves the Jedi.
Speaker 3: And she's very sad. So like, I want to know people want to know that story, and I think that's a great point.
Speaker 1: So Vnestra tells Saul, like, you need to go investigate this, but quietly. And here's where I just want to say, I don't see red flags, but I this is the first of the interactions between Venestra and Saul where I'm like, hmmm, I agree with our discord that there's something different about this Venestra. Yeah, And I almost wonder as the mystery, as the murder mystery that is central to this story unfolds, if she does not have something to do with it.
Speaker 3: It does feel like.
Speaker 1: She doesn't it feel that way a lot, especially the way.
Speaker 3: She's like, we got to keep it underrat.
Speaker 1: We gotta keep it quiet.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows if you're trying to tell somebody to keep something a secret's usually something bad, right, Like you learn that from when you're a kid. I will say something I really love here. I love that while we have this incredibly cop like Jedi like with yourr is very much in that space your nab, I'm coming in, I'm coming in and I'm gonna mind probe you.
Speaker 3: And it's like, bro, that that doesn't look good.
Speaker 2: That's not that's not seen as a good thing nowadays thanks to you know, Kylo Ren. You do yeah right, yes, like it's all it's only bad. Don't don't do that. You need consent. But what I love is I actually find that Master Soul who's played by Squid Games at Lee Jung Jay, who's so fantastic here. I love that he is this more compassionate version of the Jedi who's almost going so much farther to the other, like further than an Obi Wan Kenobi Wood, where he has these students and they're thinking about what the force means to them, and you see people saying balance, water life, and he has young girl who says fire, it consumes everything, and Soul says, yeah.
Speaker 3: The Force is very powerful.
Speaker 2: He doesn't see that as her leaning to the dark side. He finds a way to look at it through a compassionate lens and understanding lens. And I really love that they decided to bring in this more nostalgic kind of loving.
Speaker 3: I mean, he clearly cares.
Speaker 2: About Osha, which you're not supposed to do in the Jedi. You know, a Jedi shall not feel love, hate, fear, anger, but Soul clearly has that. And I think it's a really interesting contrast to this era of the Jedi that we're seeing.
Speaker 1: I completely I completely agree on the transport to Corasanosha's fellow prisoner's launch an escape that paralyzes the ship. They get away in all of the escape pods, leaving Osha on a crashed ship. The ship ends up crash landing on the ice planet Carlac, and Osha survives.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, sorry, can we just I just need to bring up the Jedi again here please. Sarah is a prisoner on this ship who is being subdued by a mind altering parasite that the Jedi have attached to his face. So can we talk about this? Do you remember saw Guerrera, who we always support, who they say he went gully.
Speaker 3: Poor Gulley.
Speaker 2: But the Jedi in the Higher Republic era they are using like alien parasites Corris and it's not good, guys?
Speaker 3: Is it bad? The Jedi listen doing a bad thing.
Speaker 1: As we progress into the story, I think you're gonna find a significant amount of guilt questioning of the Jedi's motives and decision making processed from within the Jedi order itself, but that has for further on in the recap, Saul Force interrogates one of the prisoners that escaped from the transport, learns that Osha had nothing to do with the mutiny, and Osha is presumed dead at this moment, but Saul convinces Venestra to let him go looking for her on Karlac. Osha has a vision of herself for the assassin who looks like her, and we learn it's her sister Brendock May May. It's her sister May from the planet from Brendock right. It's her twin sister May. The vision becomes a flashback to the fire and the night that her family burned, and we learned that with it. Who's May OSHA's.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Osha is Osha is Osha. May is May. But I understand they seem like, you don't.
Speaker 2: Know if it's actually her, if it's like a diad or like a jewel thing. But yeah, no, no, no, she's She is Osha and the other one is May.
Speaker 1: The vision of her sister admits to killing Indhara and then ads that she wants to kill all of them, who we and we presume all means the Jedi, kill all the Jedi. Soul catches his padawan, Jeckie up on Osha. Apparently it was the sister May who started the fire that killed the entire family, and Soul is convinced that she's dead because he saw her die.
Speaker 2: And also Jackie is played by daf Nicken, who is X twenty three and we love her and she's so cute and I love Jackie.
Speaker 3: I would die for Jeckie.
Speaker 1: She is a Thlin human hybrid yes, which is very very interesting. The theling. We're already a very rare species, and this seems like even more rare.
Speaker 2: And it's also like something that's really great is Jackie is really represented as like a logical kind of force user who's like, yes, why are you feeling nostalgic about your former padawan or whatever? But Soul is this great leader for her and this great mentor because he actually has more of that compassion. So they're a great kind of straight man and like soft team.
Speaker 1: I'm a fast It's wonderful on Carlac, Saul, Yord, and Jeckie track down Osha. They track her to like this underground tunnel that leads to an opening over a cliff where in what I think is the greatest easter egg in recent Star Wars history, a clear nod to the fugitive.
Speaker 2: It's so good because it's direct like to me, and you literally could put them over each other.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Down to the dialogue of Osha saying I didn't do it, she says she didn't do it. She falls off the edge just like doctor except Doctor Kimball jumped, and Saul catches her and pulls her back. I just love this easter egg one because it's not Star Wars, but it's Harrison Ford exactly. So you still got the vibes, so you still got the vibes and it's just it's just awesome. Osha tells Saul that actually May is alive, and elsewhere we see walk down a beach where she needs a mysterious figure with a some kind of affected voice.
Speaker 3: And a scary mask.
Speaker 1: With scary mask it looks like kind of chainsaw man esque, and the figure says to me that he wants he or she they want to destroy the Jedi and destroy their dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and something something that I think is really cool about this episode that Susanna Polo wrote about Polygon is like he wants her to murder a Jedi without a weapon, and that is like a recurring theme throughout these two episodes. And it's really interesting because it's obviously something that he needs her to achieve, but we kind of don't know why. And I think that's really interesting because that's we've getting this Force fighting. But what could this potential because we don't know technically all the Siths should be gone at this period in time from what we know, but I'm assuming this is probably going to wreck on it, or maybe it will be some kind of different Dark Force users. But yeah, I'm very interested to see where they go with that before we continue.
Speaker 1: I forgot to note it here. I think I noted in the in the next part of the recap, but let's talk about it now. One notable feature of every fight scene involving May is that she makes a grab for the lightsaber every single time. I know, it's very notable in every fight scene.
Speaker 3: Why it is yourself?
Speaker 2: Or is she trying to get rid of it so that then she can kill them without a weapon, because the lightsaber is their ultimate weapon, you know, I'm very interested in that.
Speaker 3: And we know, like we see the.
Speaker 2: Mysterious you know, May's mysterious Master ignite his red lightsaber at the end, so we know he has a corrupted Kaiber crystal hypothetically and he already has that technology.
Speaker 3: May need a.
Speaker 2: Lightsaber or is she trying to get rid of it so she can kill them with this kind of force fighting technique because she does always pull out the knives at the last minute when everything else has gone wrong, you know. But yeah, it's I just thought like, this was such a good, scary ending, and I'm really excited to see where they go with this villain, because is this gonna be another scenario like ah Soca where we're like, is this villainous character gonna be someone that we know?
Speaker 3: And then it ends up not some Yeah, right, like is it Vnestra?
Speaker 2: I think we've seen I think in the discord we've had people who think it might be your especially with some of the timing between and yeah, I am very interested to see where it goes.
Speaker 3: And yeah, let's talk about the second episode because there's so much stuff in there.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after a quick grip.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We open on the planet a Lega May quite easily, we should say, breaks into the local Jedi devil, no problem. She gets right in.
Speaker 2: And not just that, can I say she literally breaks in yet by getting like a child to annoy the entry droid and then she pops like a little bomb on his head.
Speaker 3: So let's this is actually a great thing that you've picked up on here, because this is how.
Speaker 2: Complacent the Jedi, extremely cool. They are so in power, happy without threat. They are at the top of the food chain that a literal child annoying an entry droid allows an assassin to get into the Jedi temple.
Speaker 1: She is there to confront Master Torbin, who we later learned has been meditating for ten years and has not spoken to anybody in there time. She finds him levitating in a chamber. She calls him out and says, I demand that you fight me with all of your strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which she also said ton Dara, which is very interesting.
Speaker 1: I think it's very interesting. And when there's no response, she attacks, but she cannot get through his impregnable force shields, so she flees on Karlac Yord wonders why Saul doesn't keep Osha restraint.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, well, put her into force handcups.
Speaker 1: I'm like that your friend, that was you got to handcut the suspect.
Speaker 3: I'm like, didn't you grow up with her in the Jedi temple? Like this is your friend? Like what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, is she not a suspect and a murder? Don't we have to handcover anyway?
Speaker 4: On him?
Speaker 3: Be quiet?
Speaker 1: And I wanted you just shut up. Saul is on video link with Venestra and he tells her about the twins and about his twin theory and that it might be the sister that did it, even though he saw her die. Vinestra then tells Saul that there's been another attack on Olega by the same assassin who killed in Dhara. Uh So Osha is now cleared, so your chill the fuck out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she didn't do it. She didn't do it, Brav.
Speaker 1: I know, but maybe she can aid in the investigation. You're also against that, right against it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's starting to act suspicious at this point. Him of Venestra, what's going on? I'm suspicious.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's clear that whatever their history is, it plays into Orde's current feelings about Osha. Something, something about their time at the Jedi temple together is causing your tonack. Like this on Olega, May meets with her contact kmire a drunk played by the super handsome Manny.
Speaker 2: I love him so much and I think is like such an interesting character. Like when I when I interviewed, I interviewed the cast for IGN, and I was the thing about Kima that's so interesting is that he is basically.
Speaker 3: Just like a normal guy.
Speaker 2: He's not in the Jedi, he's not in the Sith, he's not being trained, he's not and Or who has a mission. He's just a guy who's just like trying to survive. Yeah, and that's something that Manny was like really drawn to is like, how do you just live in this world where there are these like unbelievable forces, And part of Kaim's answer is being drunk, being.
Speaker 1: Drunk all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: May is very clearly under a lot of pressure to kill Jedi and by her mysterious mask, by her mysterious master, and she's currently bottlenecked on Torbin, who she can't even touch. So she suggests poison. Then Chymer makes for some and then we're gonna later find out it's a very unique and specific poison. Soloo should talk about May. Saul is sad that he couldn't save both sisters, although they're clearly alive, so you'd like, they're both alive. Yeah, success, you.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it. You didn't save her.
Speaker 2: But like, but also again, this is another this is another soul moment where it's like, yeah, he has these deep emotions that Jedi aren't really supposed to have.
Speaker 3: That's right now.
Speaker 2: But he's like, I've made peace with events, Osha, why can't just make peace with the fact justice to die? And now maybe she's not that and she's an assassin. Get over it, you gotta get over it. That's why you left the Jedi.
Speaker 1: I have to say, it's very interesting. You put your finger on it. It's like the Jedi dogma is disconnection.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: You don't care about this anymore, Like this is pain is part of life, and you let it wash over. You don't care about it. Saul seems to have a slightly different philosophy. But the difference I think is important. It's that he accepts that these terrible things have happened, he feels the grief, and then he learns to live with the grief exactly and not a disc It's not a disconnection of emotion. And I think that's a really important decision.
Speaker 2: And that's what he wants Osha to do, and that's what she could never do, and why it seems like she left the Jedi.
Speaker 1: Back on a lega May makes an attempt to Torbent again. She addresses him, this time pulls out the vial of poison which she she has on around her neck, and she feels that his four shields are weakening. So whatever she has said to him has seemed to like bringing him out of his meditation.
Speaker 2: Okay, so basically what it is is she pulls down her mask. He opens his eyes, he sees who she is, and then she basically says like, I can give you the I can give you the forgiveness that you need, like if you if you drink this poison, I'll forgive you. So it's like because because because he and he says, I've been waiting for ten years like she, He's been waiting for her to go there.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: That is the question. What is the thing that it's like Jedi's What does this Jedi feel bad for? What did they do? And how intertwined is it with what happened to Ocean May.
Speaker 2: I've actually got to go to the discord because there was such a good theory about this that I need to name check the person who did it, because it is like so good, so Alo said our user. Alo said, I think Ocean and May are some kind of diad like what we saw in the sequel trilogy, and that the three Masters recognized May was the dark side of the pair, so they tried to kill her. I think that is so good, and so I love it and I think that that is how they were able to I love that so much, and I do think that there is a potential for some kind of diad here or I don't know if they would use that term after it coming up really in the Rise of the Skywalker, but I do think there's some idea of this force connection.
Speaker 3: Actually, until they confirmed that.
Speaker 2: They were twins in the first episode, I was pretty sure that they were going to do something where it was one person who the Jedi had split into.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe they'd tried kind.
Speaker 2: Of like Adam Warlock, where they made the Majors with all of his kind of evil side, and I wondered if they tried to do that where they'd found this very forced sensitive kid and tried to split the dark side away and that had become may But they're twins, and I think this idea of a diad who had tried to kill them, or you know, the other option is something like they're from a family of force users who weren't in the Jedi and the Jedi didn't like it.
Speaker 3: But I love this idea of a diet. I think it's so cool. I think Alo just absolutely smashed that theory, and.
Speaker 2: I love I love in that moment that Torbyn is like He's like I've been waiting for you, and she's like, I can give you the thing that you want.
Speaker 3: I can give you forgiveness. I can give you the peace you've been looking for.
Speaker 1: He's clearly so oppressed by guilt that the only way he can live within the Jedi strictures of disconnection of a feeling of emotion is to just be in meditation for.
Speaker 3: Such a good read. And so yeah, he does it. He drinks the poison. He drinks.
Speaker 2: Then he's like, He's like, I was just waiting for this child assassin to come and give me some poison. I'm I'm piecing out. I'm one with the force, and the forces, one.
Speaker 1: With what we should say before that. May offers him a choice before he drinks the poison, which is either, oh, you confess your crimes to the Jedi Council, which is interesting because it suggests that whatever was done was done without the explicit okay from the Jedi Council, which, by the way, I think would implicate a high up leader, but not all the way at the top. Someone yeah me. While Osha and Saul are in the Jedi temple as this is happening, Osha feels May's presence. Torb drinks the poison. As we said, he drops dead. The Jedi guards confront Osha, but Yord number one police officer.
Speaker 5: Yored in the building, who was following her but apparently not following close enough to like actually stop the killing, is like, you know what I was, I was watching her the whole time.
Speaker 3: She didn't, I will say, very suspicious.
Speaker 2: And this is one of the reasons why our discord is proposing that Yord may be the master, because it seems like he comes back too quickly, and he's like, shouldn't do it?
Speaker 3: I don't worry, wasn't that? And May's gone, sorry, oh she's gone.
Speaker 1: Osha recognizes the poison. It's called Bunta, it's native to her home planet of Brendoc, and it's got a very short life span, so it must have been brewed on planet and close by because it quickly loses effectiveness over time. Solo the Jedi quickly I d Kimier. Jeckie suggests, Hey, why don't we send Osha as May to go meet with Kimier.
Speaker 2: By the way, very smart, because your suggestion is to just go in there and cop it up.
Speaker 3: He's like, He's like, I'm fucking going in there. I'm gonna cop it up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a cop I'm gonna get him to tell me what's what, and if he doesn't, I'm gonna mind prob himself with the lightsaber. And Jackie's like, oh, you could not do that, and you could just use this twin to our advantage.
Speaker 1: Can we promote Jackie? I think Jackie's jen enough.
Speaker 3: She's a Jedi knight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're concerned.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Kymri quickly implicates himself as the poison maker. Uh to Osha. He says, you know, our boss is gonna be super pleased with what you've done. The Jedi snatch him up. Soul wants to know who the person behind all of this is, but all Kimier really knows is May wants revenge from the Jedi and has good reason to.
Speaker 2: See And interestingly, just before the Jedi come in and snatch him up bad Boys style, he realizes that it's not May, and he says, you look exactly like her, implying I think that kaim In knows about Osha, whether he knew her from when they were kids, or whether he knows her because May's told him about it.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 2: And Manny, he's still looking so handsome and beautiful even when he's playing like a cosmic drunk and.
Speaker 1: They're trying they mess up his hair and it's like making a greasy and messy him wear.
Speaker 2: Like a raggedy like cloak. But he's still he's killing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the jar line could could cut glass. Yes, the Jedi steak aut Kimer's shop. May starts walking up, Saul confronts her in the street and they have this fight. Oh so again, Saul is taking the measure of her. He's confused about why May fights weaponless.
Speaker 2: This is very matrix, lots of lots of He will never strike her, he's stack, he's he's dodging, and it's just so much fun, so much wirework. And again that weaponless question comes up, why does she fight weaponless?
Speaker 1: And just as in the fight within Dara, May throws knives as a distraction and then and then sweeps in to try and grab Saul's lightsaber. Doesn't get it, just like within Dara, And as they fight, Saul is interrogating May about who she works for. Saul realizes, actually, May doesn't know a lot about who her master is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Jedi mind tricks.
Speaker 3: Harm realizes she really doesn't know.
Speaker 1: Saul tells May, actually your sister is live. Osha is alive. She doesn't believe it. The Jedi try to take her into custody, but May who grabs all the sand around her force and makes an explosion of sand kind of like amawing smoke bump, and she's on a run. Osha then draws down on her. She as as May is commandeering a vehicle. Ohsha's like in an alley, the entrance to an alley. She's like, I would say, three to five meters away, pretty close. Oh yeah, she has a blaster and set on stunt and she misses. It's like a storm trooper level myth And I think she was trying because she shoots again.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm very I think they did a good job here of like I still don't know, like if my life don't on it, I don't know. But the fact that she shoots again does kind of seem like it. But maybe it was a she did she couldn't.
Speaker 3: She couldn't do.
Speaker 2: It the first time, and then she's frustrated, so she does it the second time. But then you know, the twins, their eyes meet, we see that there's two of them, and in that moment they kind of realized that their sister is still alive.
Speaker 1: Saul, of course, wants to continue the pursuit. They're hot on maze heels, she's they're right here on planet with her.
Speaker 2: She's and it's his chance to save this kid that he never got to say. He didn't get to bring into the Jedi fold.
Speaker 1: But Venestra is like, no, you got to come back to Coroussant we had There's something I don't know. The coffee maker is down. There's something here that you need to deal with. You need to come back to the Corothon right now.
Speaker 3: Why she's she doesn't want him to get to the truth.
Speaker 1: I think that there's something. I think that there's something. Kimer and may find each other on the outskirts of the city. He says, I got a great place for us to hide out and we can multitask. We should go to Cofar where the Wookie Jedi master kill Knack.
Speaker 3: A Wookie Jedi adamiye Lizen. We have to see this little house. I love him kill that. I love you.
Speaker 2: I believe that you are an important Jedi. I believe you will survive. I don't want you to die.
Speaker 3: I want to see.
Speaker 2: Count that guy, I need to see you, my friend. The Star Wars shows have done such a good job.
Speaker 3: Giving us cool wookies. Yeah, you know, like the cool metal Wookie who I think was.
Speaker 2: In Book of Boba Fair Yeah, or Mandalorian, I can't remember, but he was great.
Speaker 3: Who was from the Kieran Gillen comics. Yes, the Acolyte.
Speaker 2: I was a lover of this series. I those first two episodes I loved. I really loved the action. I felt like they did this great job of expanding on what we were excited about when we saw Emmana Spardi's.
Speaker 3: Performance as Oh my God, why is my mind?
Speaker 2: Ezra as Ezra and that kind of he was using this more peaceful version of that was fighting.
Speaker 3: That was more about, you.
Speaker 2: Know, controlling the wind. And but I love that here we get this force martial arts.
Speaker 3: You know. When I spoke to.
Speaker 2: Leslie Headlin, she was just so in awe of the stunt team and kind of talking about how they had really Chris Cowan, who'd worked on the Dark Vata scene in and he came up under Brad Allen, who's like a very famous stunt guy, and they just like did so much wirework, so much practical stunt work. Amandler had two stunt doubles, Colleen and Cassie, and they just really I think the action in this is a standout.
Speaker 1: Even though it's a slow burn mystery, and I know that for some people that is not necessarily going to be what they want from a Star Wars show.
Speaker 2: It's very intimate, it has very few characters compared to what we usually see. But for me, this feels like the best of the books of the expanded universe of the High Republic, where you're following a small team on a mission and you're getting to see new parts of the world that still feel familiar. You're getting to build in that law, whether it's with getting to see this new version of Finestra, getting to see the early kind of ships that might end up being able to travel through light speed. Like I just it was really everything I wanted and I love that came in and was like, you think that I did a twist in Russian Doll, Well, guess what, I've been showing you the wrong character the whole time in all the trailers, and they're twins. And a really funny thing she told me was they're actually originally were meant to be just sisters, right, and it's this idea of if you want to explore the dark side and the light. And then she was like, well, Luke and Lea, maybe they should be twins. And then she found out something I don't know that I knew or had heard of.
Speaker 3: Kathleen Kennedy is a twin.
Speaker 4: WHOA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of what cemented it.
Speaker 2: And Kathleen was like, yeah, baby twins, let's do it like And that's kind of how it became more of this idea of them being twins rather than just just sisters.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of I'm hoping that we they do keep They do kind of say this thing when they're in that mind palace or whatever where they kind of see each other as kids, where it's like, you know.
Speaker 3: Or born as two, always as one or.
Speaker 2: Something, and I think that really sounds very diet ish.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: We're so I'm very interested to see what did you think about it?
Speaker 1: I loved it. I didn't love it as much when I watched only the first episode, but then on rewatch, Yes, when I watched one and two I was like, actually, this is great, and then.
Speaker 2: Definitely you got to watch two because somebody in our discord said the same thing. Yeah, you know, if one doesn't necessarily leave you with that big moment, but two you by that point you're invested in the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, by two, I'm like, Okay, this is actually extremely interesting. And then on second rewatch you start noticing all the little whether it's clues or clues to the kind of the philosophical I think conflict at the heart of this story, which is how complicit are the Jedi in bad things that happen to the galaxy specific to their guardianship. I think i'd call it gatekeeping of the force. How does their gatekeeping of the force potentially create the enemies that they then fight? And I think that's a really fascinating question. And I think that I think that you know, you've you've laid out. I think a lot of really interesting past this could take. And I think it's going to be at the heart of this. It's going to be something about the way the Jedi reach out to and manage Force users. Yeah, I think the Jedi listen. They're clearly a military organization. Although they try to present themselves as a like peace key pace keeper, right, they train children in the arts of warfare from a very young age. And I think we're going to find that there are other paths to the Force.
Speaker 3: That have existed that the Jedi do not like.
Speaker 1: That the Jedi do not like for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right, and that while there are.
Speaker 1: Evil people who would use the Force for evil and would easily be you know, inculcated into the ways of the Sith if they exist now, I think we're also going to find that there are people on the margins who don't want to be soldiers or don't want to wield at lightsaber or using the Force for other.
Speaker 2: Things exactly like if you're connected to the Force, could you have like a you know, the beginning of Furio, So we get to see this kind of lush space within the desert where they grow food and they and they have fresh water and there's grass and there's fruit. I would love to know and there are people who can farm like that. They're people who mess up the Trade Federation because they're able.
Speaker 3: To grow their own food via the Force.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in that. Also, you mentioned the Sith. I think something's really interesting is when Kimer and May are making the poison, they say pieces a lie, and that is the first line of like the Sith code, pieces a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, igrain strength through strength, I gain power. So I'm interested like to see if the way that the Jedi have tried to control the force, if it's gonna be able to draw a direct line between that and then the resurgence of the Sith, which I think is is really natural because if you try and stop people from using it, then people are gonna look for different ways to use it, and that is obviously gonna lead you to the old books. You're gonna find out about the Sith. Oh dear power of too. It's gonna be It's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to keep watching this really fun show. Yeah, it looks amazing. It looks so good, like just visual quality, the action, the sets, the backgrounds. It looks great. It looks great.
Speaker 3: I love the costumes.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, it really feels like if you love the High Republic books, it really feels like you're reading one of them. The visuals of it feel like it's come to life and uh oh, it could be fun to do a high Republic episode. Actually, we have a lot of High Republic book readers. That could be really fun.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I love it. It's gonna be coming out. It's got that Ahsoka style drop.
Speaker 2: It's going to be Tuesday at six pm PT, nine pm ET.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Speaker 1: And that's it for today's episode.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening, Thanks so much for listening. Don't Be a Cop Like Your.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kitsupsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Jewel Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.