Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish On First.
Speaker 2: Welcome into fish On First Live, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm Jeremiah Geiger joining me today, Eli Sussman, Sean Millrick, and this is gonna be a fun show because the Marlins broke the streak twelve straight losses. They had been swept over and over. It felt like they were never gonna win a game, and just when it seemed like all hope was lost, the Marlins faced off against the Philadelphia Phillies and sweep them three games to nothing, including a couple of really awesome games like the first game, a comeback win, the last game today that just ended about an hour ago, another awesome comeback down six to nothing. They find a way to get it done at a time in which they needed to sweep the Phillies. If there was ever a series that needed to be swept, this was it. The Marlins left for dead. A lot of the fan base is despondent, and then they respond they're the fighting Fish. So we're gonna break down each game of this series, and let's start with this. Mattinee Marlins win eight to six. Griffin Conine is the hero in this one, with a go ahead two run blast in the bottom of the eighth. Pete Fairbanks goes out and pitches a clean ninth inning to get the save to cap off the sweep. So I'm gonna start with Eli your takeaway from this game in particular, because this was probably one of the more entertaining wins of this season.
Speaker 3: The biggest shock at the very end, as you know, Pete Fairbanks actually making it easy in the ninth inning. That has not been the case for so much of the year. But in all seriousness, this really was as extreme as it gets. It got the one probability swing from this game. I think it maxed out at the Phillies having a ninety six percent chance of winning at one point or at really multiple points in this game. Let me see if I could get that up right there. In the middle endings, Ryan Gusto start wasn't particularly good. Hasis Lozardo on the other side, was cruising through the first four plus six nothing Phillies at one point. And even though the Marlins do have this reputation of coming back in games when things are going well, it's never been like this. It has not been from a six run deficit that is the biggest comeback of their entire season, and then they actually top it off and finish it off by pulling ahead and winning the game late on Conine again, as we'll get to he had more heroics earlier in this series. I just want to talk about Conine for a little bit, both him and Bert Bert had. He was the one that really gave him the spark in this game too, when he hit that home run earlier that finally give him some signs of life, Like it really did look like this one was going to get out of hand early when the Marlins are going to Dax Fulton already down by six runs, and it was both those guys showing their power to the middle of the field that has really wowed me. Both those guys were top of mind entering the season as guys that would be part of this Marlins roster, but it would have been a stretch to see them as anything close to true middle of the order guys you could rely on, and both of them have been if you want to really stretch it out, like the last two months really well, since Griff came back from his injuries, since Bert came back from TRIPLEA. Both of them have been been the best hitters on the team during that stretch. They really had been the most important offensive players on this team for a very excented stretch that goes back to when things are going well and when things are going really badly during the losing streak. You like pull up the numbers that Bert had and that griff Head during that stretch they were still pretty good. It was basically them two on their own islands offensively when we were really frustrated by the lack of performance from this Marlins team at the play those past couple weeks. Those guys have been the constant for a really long stretch of the season. That has to rank as a pretty big surprise that they've been so crucial to the scene. Both of those guys acquired very cheaply. Originally what the Griffin that trade six plus years ago and totally forgotten about passed over the Rule five draft, really guy that faded to the back of people's minds, and then Byrd as a minor league free agent signed a couple of years ago. Those too, in particularly, I just can't they're been They've been absolutely they carry the team in these past few games, but it's really been a long stretch of having those two as the most important hitters, and I that has meant everything. That has really made the difference between the Marlins potentially flung all the way out of this and versus now being in this really awkward limbo situation just because they have a couple of key hitters like that that seem legit.
Speaker 2: I feel like when it comes to this Marlins team, this series against the Mets is everything, this weekend series, because you know you have momentum.
Speaker 1: You got to continue that momentum three straight. It's good. You got a serious sweep.
Speaker 2: Sweeps are rare in baseball, and the last five series have been a series sweep. But typically it's rare, and in a one hundred and sixty two game season, you tend to brush.
Speaker 1: Over a result or two. You know, you lose some, you win some.
Speaker 2: But this is where the rubber meets the road for the Fish if they want to compete. Let's talk about that second game of the series, because this was an absolute pitcher's duel between Sandy Alcantra and Aaron Nola, who's having a really bad year but pitched pretty well in this one, just one run in the first inning, and that was a courtesy of a Kyle Stowers home run, and that was all the Marlins needed to get a one to zero victory. Sandy Alcantra is turning back the clock. That was Vin Hitch. Sandy looked like twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Sandy al Contra.
Speaker 2: Seven shutout innings, He walked just one, scattered four hits, and struck out five. His season er now is a three point eight to two, so miles ahead of where it was at this point last year. And a lot of concerns surrounding Sandy was he's not the same pitcher, He's not an ace, he's not reliable, and he has put those those murmurings to rest. I mean, that was an absolute gem at a time in which the Marlins really needed it to happen. And again Pete Fairbanks a perfect ninth inning, struck out a couple to get the safe. So back to back days for Fairbanks getting getting the safe and Sandy al Contra was masterful.
Speaker 1: Eli.
Speaker 2: Your takeaway with Sandy just how good he's been consistent, he's been for the majority.
Speaker 1: Of this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really has been a big difference compared to it's I'd say it's similar to where he was exactly a year ago. But it's the thing is, the first three months of last year was a total wreck, and this time it's been it's been more good than bad, and throughout it it's been eating endings, which has been so incredibly valuable, especially right now. This has been the stretch of the season going back a few weeks and continuing for at least another few weeks that the bullpen is shorthanded. There's only so many guys in this bullpen at all that you want to see pitch. Michael Peterson, for example, they won this series, they swept this series without him because he's day to day with his own minor issue, and that really leaves very few guys that you want pitching outside of Sandy on the days that he starts. So that's been all the more crucial is him. I don't think I think it was too much to ask to expect him to throw a shutout any time it takes a mound, but to have him be really close to that is everything. And as you mentioned, this is a game in particular that went off scripts because you were very generous to Nola. I mean He's not only having a bad year this year, he was bad last year too. He's been one of the worst stars in baseball going back the last two years as a whole. It's an era around over the course of two seasons, over two hundred innings of a near six ERA guy that's very hittable. They get to him early and just did not add on whatsoever. So it's interesting given the fact that the offense, of course was great in both the first game, in the last game, and then the middle one, just had that one solo home run that ended up holding up. I didn't think that'd be enough to hold up over the course of this game. But this is something that came to mind to me when I was previewing the series on the last stream, is that the Phillies offense has been one of the worst in baseball this year. I think that would shock a lot of people. They happened. They've been carried so much by Schwarber at times Bryce Harper, but even he's been a little bit up and down, and a lot of outside of them, almost everybody else is underperforming, and so that is I can't be too shocked about them shutting out this team despite the name recognition they have in the veteran presence. For whatever reason, they've not gotten to go. And this has been the worst Phillies offense in many years, probably since the last time they were rebuilding, and so at least in one game in the series, Marlins were able to fully capitalize on that in one run actually turned out to be enough for a rare instance.
Speaker 2: Sean, any takeaways from watching Sandy or just in general and that pictures duel that classic one zero Marlins win.
Speaker 4: Just to say about that being what your ace is for and you're supposed to do, Like if that was after getting that crazy win you know, the night before you know which we'll get to, then that's one of those moments where your need, you know, your ace to step up, and Sandy just taking that mantle that he's taken so many times, you know, in the past, and you know, delivering one of his best efforts you know of the season, you know, at least since way back in the beginning of it was you know, had to mean so much, you know, to that clubhouse and set up, you know, set everything up for today. Honestly, then that's I was just just why we love to have him on the team and what you'd love to see and why you hope he why you hope he sticks around.
Speaker 3: It's funny that we can always find all these interesting, well i should say, somewhat contrived records, hyper specific records for Sandy. So another one that came up with is he said the franchise record for quality starts in a career passing freaking Alaska. He's just a couple starts away from Ennings pitched setting that record, and then a few our starts after that he'll set the record for total career starts. So if you slice it down, you can find something historic. And every time it takes the mound, just a reminder that basically nobody in franchise history has been had this long tenure as a pitcher with this Marlins organization. So it's not just the quality, it's now the quantity is getting incredible. I mean we should note like the tiny, tiny possibility that what is it a two percent chance that this is his last start as a Marlin. I know last year at this time that was it felt like the totally flipped. It felt like every single time he was taking the mound, it was emotional feeling like that could be the last one this time. Though it's not impossible, it seems pretty close to it, just because it's clear that he has so much sentimental value to his organization. He's more valuable to the Marlins than he would be to any other organization in terms of what they could get via trade. Just you know, laying out the facts that that was the last time he'll pitch, and in Miami before the trade deadline, that's the last time he'll pitch, period. This was the last start before the deadline, because the deadline is gonna come right after the Mets. Oh, I should say on Sunday. On Sunday, he'll have one more outing right before the deadline in New York. I do hope people enjoyed seeing him on the mound though this most recent one, And I think it's very fitting that, just in the small chance that they get blown away and do the typical Marlins thing that's also unpopular, at least he went out in that case on a very high note.
Speaker 2: We we'll talk about the deadline later on in the show, but yeah, real quick on Sandy, I would be shocked if he gets moved. It just feels like the way this season has gone. He has an extra chip on his shoulder, something to prove, and he's means so much to this Marlins team.
Speaker 1: ELI wanted to ask, I'll get.
Speaker 2: Responses from both of you guys, But the way Sandy has pitched this year, if you think about the entirety of his career, is he the best starting pitcher in Marlin's history? Is it fair that we can call him that given all he's accomplished, even with you know, really no postseason success. He's been in the postseason twice, but didn't pitch in twenty twenty three with the injury. I think it's fair to call Sandy el Contra the best starter in Marlin's history.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting It's al as gonna be difficult to compare him to Jose, just because he never saw Jose really as anything but awesome, given how short he was around and how amazing he was at his peak in his individual games. I think the dominance that Jose Fernandez had was a slightly different tier than Sandy was. And if you look at all the rate stats, those still and those will always I would say for a very long time, a lot of those stats that he put up are going to be in touchable in terms of having a mid twoes career era and the strikeout rate that he had, the performance specifically at home that Jose Fernandez had during his career, those are going to be very difficult to touch. At the same time, it's yeah, the tenure has been so different, the way that Sandy has kind of gravitated towards his leadership role on this Marlins teem, The way that he's been so he's just been He's gone incredibly mature. He's matured before our eyes and seeing him like grow up to be by default like the veteran leader of this team and to make a difference in that respect has been a big part of his legacy. So I'd say his it's in terms of his legacy, I think he's going to be the most beloved individual starting pitcher that this team has had, So it's yeah, it depends how he wanted to define best. I think he's the most important one though, So to me, that's kind of where I focus on, is that he's the most significant figure on the pitching side that I feel that they've had. So yeah, I agree, it seems extremely likely that he'll at least get to finish out this season there and then we'll see what happens in twenty twenty seven. But it's yeah, it's been really cool to see the journey that he's been on. To be realistic that he hasn't quite recaptured his ace form coming back from surgery. Ever, twenty twenty two was that outlier. That was that one year where he was on another level and frankly like his other seasons have been significantly different than that. Yet at the same time, he could come to appreciate, uh, what we just touched on here, the fact that his ability to eat more endings than anybody else, to be a total outlier with his generation to still be such a throwback in that regard. Yeah, that's going to be what people adore him for. So I think his popularity is gonna is just off the charts. If you're a Marlins fan and you watched Sandy's career, like this is a guy that has pretty close to one hundred percent approval rating because of the way he's carried himself and the way that he has you can say, sort of reinvented himself coming back from Tom John that he's added new pitches. He's yeah, he's made it work even without being being quite as dominant as he was during his peak season.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about this final game, or the first game of the series, but the final game we're going to recap, and this was a crazy one. Marlins jump out to a five to two lead. It looks like everything's going well. Tyler Phillips is pitching very well, and then he gets pulled at just seventy six pitches. The bullpen comes in in a combination of Cad Gibson and Tyler.
Speaker 1: Zuber blow the lead.
Speaker 2: The Phillies roar back to take a six to five lead, and then they added another run in the eighth to make it seven to five. The Marlins surely looked like they were going to lose their thirteenth straight in very disappointing fashion, and they said not so fast. They put up three runs in the bottom of the ninth. Roberto Hernandez ties the game with the bases loaded, a single up the middle, and then you have Griffin Conine who walks it off, sends the fans home happy, and britt and breaks the losing streak and then started a started a new one because now they've won three straight. So this game had everything. They had, some pitching, they had some bad pitching, some offense. It was a very entertaining game to watch. And I'm gonna be honest. When the Phillies jumped out to that lead, I had jiu jitsu.
Speaker 1: Class and I said, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: I can't watch this Phillies team win again yet another blown lead. So I tweeted out, Hey, I'm going to jiu jitsu, hopefully they win. Come out and it looks like they want so a little good luck charm there.
Speaker 1: But Sean, how.
Speaker 2: How important was this game? Any takeaways? This was really the game which gryffin Conine was the hero. He was awesome in this game. A couple hits, including a home run, and then of course the walk off single.
Speaker 4: Well you came clean emitting of the us. We're at jiu jitsu. I went to see The Odyssey Monday night because, you know, after after losing twelve games in a row, I needed I needed a refresher. And just as you know, Clayton was quoting it over the weekend, you know, feeling lost. I was happy to see that the Marlins had found a way to get home at the end. At the end of the movie when I walked out of the theater that it was Gryffin Conan, you know, pulled that off. You know, any time he has success with this club, you know, that just rings great, you know, given the franchisees history of his dad and just the end of the year a Griffin Colin is having for himself. Certainly as we were talking about earlier, but to end that street that we did not have to worry about writing about coming up with puns for the number thirteen and the ongoing losing street was just great to end and you know and put behind so definitely much needed, you know, victory and a great moment you know for Griff's Marlin's career, his you know, first time walking it off, and then you know, two days later that other big hit against the Phillies I can remember back in two thousand and three because Jeff having a couple of big games against the Phillies down to stretch do do a lot of damage to them in that postseason race. And hopefully we're starting to see some signs of that same thing. So I got three games off against Philadelphia for you know, down to stretch, So hopefully Griff's still here damaging him.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, it was real quick about how at the end of every series I do these grades for who won series MVP based on win probability added. And this is the rare time where I didn't even look up the numbers. I just did it off the top of my head. I'm like, when you have a walk off hit to break up a tie game in the first one, and then you have the go ahead again in a tie game today in the eighth inning to flip the game as well in the later innings, I didn't even have to look up the numbers, so I know it was MVP. That's one of the few times this year where you've had, whether it's a Marlins player or an opponent that's had multiple moments like that in a series that it's just been so obvious that they were the main character there. So you just feel great for him, like the overall numbers are elites, and he's actually doing it in important spots, as important as it could possibly get. During the course of these three games.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to discuss the future because the Marlins, of course, are in contention for a wild card spot.
Speaker 1: What's their plans look like that? Are they going to buy? Are they going to sell? We're going to give our thoughts. Right after this.
Speaker 5: Big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and sea geek is the spot for that. You can find good, good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 6: So why would you not use sea geek if you want to view from your seat, you want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 1: It's easy to use. It's one click boom.
Speaker 6: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on seek.
Speaker 5: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo code running all season long. Territory one zero, that's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to youer account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Back here, Fishing on First Live just recapped the sweep that the Marlins needed against the Phillies, and now we got to take a look at the wild card standings and where the Marlins fit in regarding the postseason, because the trade deadline is just a few days away.
Speaker 1: I believe August fourth is the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: August August third, so even sooner that the Marlins have to make a decision.
Speaker 1: What are they gonna do? Right now?
Speaker 2: If we take a look, the Marlins are a game over five hundred, They're kind of in a cluster with teams like the Padres. The Pirates are also the exact same record the Washington Nationals two games over five hundred. They're a game and a half out and then occupying that third and final wildcard spot. It's a tie between the Phillies, who the Marlins just swept, and the Arizona Diamondbacks who've been playing some good baseball the last couple of weeks. Now, when we talk about this team Eli a couple of weeks ago, two three weeks ago, on the stream, we were saying, who are they gonna buy? Could they go after a rental? Could they go after a Robbie Ray or a Matt Chapman from San Francisco? And then Craig Mish comes out and says, no, the Marlins aren't looking to be all in buyers at the deadline, given the twelve game losing streak that they were in the midst of, but now with three straight wins, sweeping the Phillies and still very much in contention when you look at these other teams who also are just kind of mediocre at this point in the year, I do think it's a possibility that the Marlins could add in some capacity. Certainly, I don't think they should be trading away core pieces of this roster. And I want to get your thoughts on where the Marlins sit right now.
Speaker 3: I just it's part of this attention economy that we're in where I think, deep down the Marlins don't know exactly what they're going to be doing. But they need to put some sort of messaging out there when it's it feels like the deadly is just a week away, which is when the miss report came out on Monday about how the Marlins had pivoted from a team that seems a very clear buyer to one that is now at a point where, just to quote him, any trades that they potentially will make I believe will be for the future, meaning that as a couple of names you covered, those are rentals, and that's a pending free agent that's not for the future, that's for now, and they're not gonna be in the Trek Schooble sweepstakes or the biggest pending free agent out there, or even somebody like a Robbie Ray, same sort of thing, where they're just I think in generally speaking though, that that is sort of the mindset this Marlins front office has that even in years, if they were right now, if they had one hundred wins right now, that they like to balance. They don't like to give up assets for something in such a small sample, just because they realize that there's a lot of volatility there. Some of the best perfect example Curtis Mead, he was one of the significant trades we've seen alrighty before the deadline is Curtis Mead going from the Nationals to the Red Sox. In his very first game with the Red Sox, he breaks his wrist and he's gonna miss probably most of the rest of this regular season. Now he has years of control beyond that. But just as an example that could happen to any player, really, anybody, even some of the there's no no matter how much star power you have or how durable you are, there are those freak accidents that happened, which is why it's just it's so hard to anticipate what a player is going to do, especially because this deadline is a little bit closer to the end of the year than usual, to be several days into August, the Marlins are going to have only fifty games left in their entire season after the deadline. That's an even smaller slice than usual. We're gonna be almost seventy percent of the way through the season by the time that this deadline happens, and you just see how unpredictable things can be in that small sample. So even though they want to put some messaging out there about how kind of the fact that they were leaning towards being a team for the future kind of opening the door. Just this follow up from the Athletic today about how they're listening to offers on some of their best players, including Otto Lopez, Liam Hicks, er Berto, even Xavier Edwards. Like, I think they're just open minded, and that's kW they've kind of always been. It's very frustrating because people want more of a focus on I want to have a clearer idea about what they're going to do. But this is a team that's just going to be very flexible. They're looking to maximize value wherever possible, and that can mean some very unorthodox decisions could be made in order to get there. But I think, well, again, it's going to depend a little bit on how these next four games go. As close as we are to the deadline, it's still going to depend a little bit on whether we get to the end of the weekend. Are they five games back to the wildcard or are they actually holding a wild card spot again, because both of those are still within the range of realistic possibilities over such a small sample when they're going after this team. But I think at the end of the day, there's a strong possibility. This deadline looks a lot like last year's deadline, where there's all these possibilities out there, and ultimately, when you just have such a team so many guys that are under long term control, those usually a lot of the moves you make at the deadline are the ones that are focused on now either a team that's selling a rental player pending free agent, or one that's buying one of those. The vast majority of the deals happen like that, even though the Marlins are going to be open to some bolder possibilities, I think my way too early prediction is that it's gonna be a quiet deadline, a lot like last year, where they talked about some big things but only uh do a couple of marginal moves involving role players either being acquired or going out the other way.
Speaker 1: Sean your thoughts on the deadline.
Speaker 2: I know we're approaching it pretty quickly, but what's the sense you get with this team right now?
Speaker 4: It's gonna be interesting because you know, certainly, I think every player that we've pretty much heard of a rumor the last couple of weeks basically just had a good series against the phill Is in the spotlight, so yeah, you know, you know, but even Fairbanks, you know, that's been dangled. If they would move on from him like that, just back to back saves, that would be you know, that wouldn't I guess shocked.
Speaker 1: Me if the Marlins went on to.
Speaker 4: Get you pair a poor series against the Mets against one more contending teams closer struggling, you know, and down the stretch. Yeah, that but I'm kind to think that again, the way this team just played over the last three games, if they get a little luck in the standings and even just split against the Mets this weekend, and if they're still in the race. I always go back to the kind of off the field, you know, the perception of that it keeps. It's always been kind of a Charlie Brown loosing into football thinking with me thinking this, but that at some point the team's going to have to, you know, make a couple moves that consider, you know, the fan base's view of things. And if you if this team is a winning record and you sell off parts when you're within two games of a playoff spot, like that's bad. That's not going to play well at all. Even if even if they announced the August fourth that we're getting that salary cap and floor next season done, deal like still, that's going to be a big blow to the fan base. So I would I think that you know, kind of standing path thing is you know likely possibly. I'm a kind to agree if you lie on that that it wasn't that twelve game losing streak was did too much damage to really making a run. But if you again just hold serve this weekend, if they don't go own four, it's going to be hard for them to sell off multiple parts. And I would hope that they would not with their maybe move one player you know that's you know, been rumored to be, but you know, two, three, that's just that's just too much. This is an exciting group. Money is not an issue this time like past years. If you accept Sandy's staying, that makes this different from other trade deadlines. It's it's Sandy and Pete Fairbanks. So that a bunch of guys on very reasonable contracts for a team that has the lowest payroll in Major League Baseball. That's I'd say, there's not that money motivation. Any move they make needs to help set the team up for success. Soon, not way down the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My thing is when you look at this, like the standings in particular, no one's really separated themselves. So there is an element of yeah, why not us if you're the Marlins, But there's also you have to kind of take the immediate just to step back from what's happening now and look to twenty twenty seven and down the road. And I like a couple of these comments I'm seeing here in the chat where it's not about rentals, it's about controllable players. Now, if the Marlins were ten twelve games over five hundred, thirteen games over five hundred, and they're playing great baseball like we saw them play in June, yeah, I think you can afford.
Speaker 1: To get a rental or two. But typically.
Speaker 2: When you're a team like the Marlins and you have prospect capital and you weren't expected to compete this year for a playoff spot, then I think you may have to take a look at either standing pat making a couple trades that involve players for the future. And I don't necessarily mean prospects, but I mean you know someone that's here next year or not going to be here next year, like a Liam Hicks.
Speaker 1: I think he could be expendable.
Speaker 2: I don't really see where his role on this team lies, especially with Kyle Sowers playing a lot of first base. Liam Hicks is not the prototypical DH. He's not gonna, you know, hit fifty home runs, and he defensively you're set with Joe Max. So I think Hicks is expendable someone they could sell high on, also as Arobert to Hernandez, who's having a really, really good year. Now on the flip side of that, if you want to buy, you should be getting players who have multiple years left on their on their contracts who can fit with the current core. With this, with this rise of the prospects that will be debuting hopefully soon, you know a guy like cam Canarella who's tearing it up in the minor leagues, he's not far away from major league baseball.
Speaker 1: He's going to be a part of this Marlin's future.
Speaker 2: So supplementing that core, and I've preached this before, is important for any small market team that isn't necessarily going to go out and spend tens of millions of dollars in free agency. Now, there are some reports that I see and I have to mention this because it just it drives me crazy. Auto Lopez is on the trade block from not that the Marlins put him on the trade block, but other fan bases are making rumors, Oh, Auto Lopez could be traded. The Athletic coming out with this article saying the Marlins are listening to offers, and sure you could listen to anybody, but the price tag for Auto Lopez.
Speaker 1: Should be astronomical.
Speaker 2: And what I mean by that is no team should be willing to pay for Auto Lopez. It would take an insane hall for Auto Lopez to be moved, and I just don't see the Marlins doing it. I think they have their franchise shortstop and you can say, well, you know, he's having an outlier of a season. There's nothing outlier about Auto Lopez in twenty twenty six. He's having an awesome season. He's hit everywhere he's been. This guy is part of the Marlins core. In my opinion, I don't think you should even consider moving him. Obviously, someone like Joe mack Owen Casey they should be off the table.
Speaker 1: And then when you take a step back and you look.
Speaker 2: At who else they could theoretically sell kind of comes down the bullpen pieces. I guess Eli maybe a Fairbanks if you want to get rid of that contract Brax and Garrett. I think it is going to be moved, but the Marlins obviously don't have any plans for him in the near future. But besides that, there really isn't a lot of pieces the Marlins.
Speaker 3: Have, Yeah, just to get to Braxton Garrett quickly. That feels like Nick Fortes trade from last year where they'd an extra catcher and they had nothing to do with Fortes, but so they moved him to the Rays and with Braxton like they've been even like his role has even been more diminished. He essentially hasn't had a role whatsoever on this team, as needy as they've been for starting pitching. Talked about this on the show like it's been the head scratcher to me, the fact that he hasn't gotten an opportunity at all the last few months, despite pitching as well as he could be a triple A. I think that just speaksvolumes about how little faith they have in him, because they could really use more starting pitching. But if they've made their decision on him, that's fine. He might be more appreciated by another organization, They're just not going to get really anything in return for him if he hasn't proven himself at the big league level in several years. Then there's only so much value can you can generate by just beating up on minor leaguers when you have that so much of an experience advantage against them. And what makes it interesting is that on the acquiring ends, even if it is, as we expect, going to be a more controllable piece, a less proven piece rather than an established veteran of some kinds, they do need starting pitching. Like they're starting pitching picture for both the rest of this year and then into twenty twenty seven, it's a little bit blurry. There's going to be a small gap between when the next wave of prospects are ready to establish themselves, when I think Thomas White and Carson mill Brands break in, and when Robbie Snelling gets fully healthy coming off surgery. Like, if they're planning ahead for next season's rotation as well, it makes a whole lot of sense to perhaps check that box right now. If Garrett is not a guy that they feel as part of that solution, this is a place where I think they should be making a move of some kind. But we've been saying that for so long. We've been saying it even when they were winning games in June. I was saying it during the losing streak a few weeks ago, where it felt like it was they just missed a window to add depth that they really needed. And so it would really surprise me if they didn't do anything to add some sort of young pitcher to starting pitcher to this mix over the next few days, whether that's about the rest of the season or beyond, they just have such a big question mark there outside of the top of you starting rotation depth is still an area of pretty glaring need for this team.
Speaker 2: And that's something that the Marlins really didn't expect, you know, coming into this year. Yes, they traded Ryan Weathers, they traded Edward Cabrera, but looking ahead to twenty twenty seven, I felt like the rotation was in a really good spot because it was assumed that Robbie Snelling would be in the majors, Thomas White would be healthy, Thomas White hasn't pitched since mid May, and really no timetable that I've seen regarding White and coming back to full strength, and Snelling, of course, underwent a UCL procedure, so those things take time to recover.
Speaker 1: So I agree with Eli.
Speaker 2: I think going after a starting pitcher who's controllable not necessarily to push you into the playoffs this year, but that again can supplement the core, and if he helps you get to the playoffs, that's awesome. But solidifying your roster for twenty twenty seven is huge.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna talk about the all important series before this trade deadline. It's gonna be against the New York Mets in Queen's City Field Steward Die for the Fish. Are they gonna be buyers? Are they gonna be sellers? A little bit of both doesn't matter. You gotta take care of business. It starts tomorrow on Thursday. That's after this.
Speaker 3: Friends at Jetski Rentals of South Florida, they presents all of our podcast efforts here on Fish on First, Miami's Best jet ski in Boat Adventures. Jetske Rentals love South Florida with six JITs ski locations in over one hundred and twenty voats. There's something for every style and every budget. Ride Jetski's running from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only. To book, call three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at SF jet ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again, that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF jetski Rentals dot com.
Speaker 2: The Marlins head up to New York for the last series before the trade deadline. The Mets have been an absolute disaster this year, but they'd love nothing more than to to take care of business against their divisional rival.
Speaker 1: I'll start with Sean. This Mets team, it's it's been bad.
Speaker 2: They still they have a lot of big names, but guys like Freddie Peralta that he's really struggled, Juan Soto's dealt with injuries.
Speaker 1: All in all, just a very inconsistent team. And inconsistent culture. It feels like up there. But what should Marlins fans be on the lookout for against against the Mets.
Speaker 4: Well, you kind of called it with there would definitely be some karma on the Mets part after last season, and this would kind of you have finish things off if they were if the Mets were to take three out of four here or street the series, you know probably would definitely were firmly back in the selling camp. But I would just be able to look out for a playoff, you know, atmosphere every day, I.
Speaker 1: From the Marlin's perspective.
Speaker 4: You heard Clayton say it in the post game, and you know, tomorrow here's the biggest game of the season. You're perez on the maund that's you know, just every game Marlins could win, starting you know, from tomorrow evening really just kind of puts it more likely that this group could keep themselves together. They can see what they have down the stretch, even if that is standing pat and that's man, I'm just looking to see how they respond to that challenge, you know, game in and game out, you know, in the clubhouse, it's sort of the Mets themselves, you call it it struggling group. That's pretty good pitchers still. Overall, I mean, Peralta has not had the year of the Mets. Hope for when they paid them, certainly, but Marlins will be facing Nolan McClain as well. That's been everything else with the Mets outside from per Alta. That's been their biggest issue. So I mean, it's you know, it's not going to be easy, but I'm hope, really hoping they can get it done.
Speaker 3: The last time that the Marlins were in Queens, I was there and they got swept by the Mets at the end of May. That was felt like rock bottom of the season right there where it felt like con that. Man, there's not much difference between these two teams. That's when they were I think close to ten games below five hundred at that point, and I remember how sloppy that was. So this is the first time there. Since then, a lot has changed, and even with this recent losing streak, I think the Mets are kind of in the same spot with one pretty notable absence. They're going to be without Juan Soda for at least these next few days. He's on the IL. He's been amazing. He's been one of the few things as one of the few players offensively for them that has performed as advertised in twenty twenty six. So without him, it would seem on paper like a pretty beatable team because this is a four game series and basically everybody on the starting pitching side, as a shawn a lude to McLain, he's been very good and they're gonna see four out of the five pieces of this Mets rotation, a rotation that just hasn't been a lot of things have gone not according to plan for this team, so McLain is kind of the He is such a high ceiling when it comes to individual games. But aside from that, this is a team that by any measures just really bad. A team that's going to be selling as well, a team that is clearly going to be selling, I should say, one that you would hope from the Marlins' perspective is subtracting from its roster over the course of the series that they are in the making deals before the deadline day and handicapping their own chances of actually winning the games in the process in order to focus on the future. So that's kind of the main thing is to be on as they say, hug Watch and just hoping to see the Mets having in their dugout kind of clearing things out over the course of these games, taking players out to preserve their health, and that's just a small thing that could make a difference. Usually it doesn't, but maybe just having some of these veteran players being covered in bubble wrap so that they can actually be traded to contenders, that the Marlins can take advantage of that and be up on the team that they'd ordinarily be favored against anyway, but perhaps just a little bit more than usual given the Sodo injury, and then given the fact that the Mets are going to be very actively trying to move off of some of their veteran.
Speaker 2: Pieces, it is worth noting when you look at the potential starters for this series. The Marlins are going to be throwing Yuri to start against Nolan McLean. That's going to be a really good pitching matchup for any pitching enthusiasts out there, and Sandy is projected to start again on Sunday according to fangrafts. Of course, those things change, but a Sandy star on Sunday against potentially the return of Clay Holmes and Clay Holmes again hasn't pitched in a couple of months, a lot of speculation he could be traded, so it might be a showcase opportunity. And what really is like you guys have said a lost season for the Mets. They're going to try to maximize any value they can and sell what they can at the deadline and for the Marlins sake, you know, you never want a player to get injured, but Juan Soto has been a Phish killer his entire career, dating back to his early days with the National. You will not see him this series again on the injured list. So I do think this is a winnable series for the Fish and ultimately they gotta take care of business. This is going to be really up to this point, it feels cliche saying this, but the biggest series this year. It comes in New York City field a team that in the Marlins, that struggles sometimes on the road, So they got to battle those road loows and take care of business.
Speaker 7: There is one place to be entrede deadline day watching foul territory of course. Aj Perdinski, Aeric Kratz and Scott Braun will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves, and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday.
Speaker 1: Foul Territory Network. It's baseball the way it should be covered. All right, this is prediction time. That's my prediction.
Speaker 3: But who knows.
Speaker 1: Now it's prediction, So there we go.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go ahead and start with Sean. Lead us off with your prediction for this four game set.
Speaker 3: Sean, let's just get the music popping, and there we go.
Speaker 4: All right, I think the Marlins will split this series against the Metropolitans, and San die Al Contra will be the series MVP.
Speaker 1: Eli.
Speaker 3: I will say, yeah, almost always these series end up being a split when you go four games, and I'll be conservative when it comes to that. So yeah, two wins a piece for the Marlins and the Mets over the course of these four days. When you gotta predict the series MVP, it depends who's actually on these teams by the end of the series. I mentioned that this is gonna be a factor on both sides, particularly when it comes to the Mets. I don't deal with the Marlins MVP and say that I've been fooled before. But I think Jacob Marci is slowly trending in the right direction. Even if the power isn't there, the swing decisions have really improved, so I think he's gonna be on base a whole lot over these next four games. He's gonna face a lot of right handed pitching, and Jacob Marci is gonna have a great series for Miami.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go bold. I'm gonna go bold.
Speaker 2: I think this. Marlin's tea needs it, the fan and me needs it. Marlin sweep the Mets. They go into New York, sweep the Mets, and the red hot air.
Speaker 1: Berto Hernandez is the series MVP.
Speaker 2: Hits a couple of home runs. All right, that's gonna do it for today's stream. Of course, we're gonna be back after the Mets series on Sunday. A reminder that there is a game tomorrow. Last couple of weeks been off days on Thursdays for the Fish, but the last Thursday game they played they beat the Mayor, so hopefully this is a good sign. Until then, guys, thank you for tuning in. Of course, for Sean Millrick, for Eli Sussman, I've been Jeremiah Geiger until next time.
Speaker 1: Stay safe and let's go fish.