Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to hold up. It's the Show with Josh Johnson. That that's me. I'm a writer for the Daily Show and I'm joined by those Day's line. He's a correspondent for the Daily Show. And on this show, we talk about the hard hitting, important issues that are going on in all of our lives. Okay, today we're coming in hot, We're coming in heavy because we're both very passionate about Today's topic. Has to do with matrimony, has to do with lifelong commitment, has to do with a lot of a lot of a lot of stuff that ideally is only ever going to happen one time, but depending on who you are, sometimes it happens five. You know, some people are hard to get along with with others. Today we're talking about wedding DJs versus wedding bands. All right, and don't say just let the people know. I'm not even to asking for your arguments. I'm just saying, let people know where you stand.
Speaker 1: I don't want to give to people a second to think where I stand. Play the faking music. Y'all know where I stand. You know where I stand. You know I ain't behind no damn band. You know, I'm DJ all the way? What did you even talking about? What did you even talking about? Okay, of course I'm teen DJ because I like having a good time. You, on the other hand, want to listen to acoustic guitar all night?
Speaker 2: The fuck no acoustic guitar?
Speaker 1: Yeah that sounds right, that's in a band, right.
Speaker 2: So let's get started out. Okay, all right, because you're coming at wedding bands like it's just one guy that you didn't invite to a party with a guitar. That's not what's happening, all right. These bands have brass, they have percussion, they have lead singers.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've all been in a shopping mall right. We've all been in a business where you were listening to what's the correct term for it, where it's like someone has remade a song, but you don't know why.
Speaker 2: They did it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like it's the wrong girl singing Britney spears like it's not Britney. Britney sang the song. It's a cover. Right. I don't want to pay a group of adults to not do their own music, you see what I'm saying, Like y'all became like I have a hard time believing in a group of people who learned the skill right. Playing an instrument is difficult. That's why all of us can't do it. Everybody can talk, but not everyone can learn an instrument. I was supposed to learn the saxophone in the fourth grade when we moved back to Miami, so I couldn't, right, okay, But I can play with a recorder just as good as everybody else. I can read music because I sang you know, the trained cigaree, and I know enough about a piano or I can. I can't play the accompaniment, but I can play the vocal part of my other song. Right. Playing a piano is difficult. You need both hands. Playing the drums is very hard. Guitar all that if they got two hands on something that ain't easy. So you sat up and learned this skill to be paid to play someone else's music professionally, I'm supposed to hear your rendition a survivor. I'm supposed to hear a wedding band rendition of Beyonce. Why would I want that? Why would I spend my hard earned money? I'm trying to celebrate. I done trapped this man. It took me so long to meet this bastard. He's late. If you're listen, if the man who I'm going to marry is listening to this, you're late. Bro, You're fucking late. Where have you been? Okay, I'm very annoyed. But if I spent the time I found a venue, I have put out a dress. I don't fed a bunch of people. Now I'm supposed to spend the rest of my evening listen to a bunch of middle aged people do their own rendition of run Damn, I'm out here.
Speaker 2: Okay. So you brought up some interesting points, brought up some things that are that are maybe maybe valid, but I don't think so, okay, because first of all, you brought up singing other people's songs. That's not always the case.
Speaker 1: Oh they have, they're oh oh oh. Then I want to get original music for some people I've never even heard of.
Speaker 2: Well, why would you hire them for your wedding if you never even heard of them? There are bands that people like that they get to play their wedding. You're still a wedding band, even if you're a famous band.
Speaker 1: What's a band that plays at a wedding. What's a well known band, well known band that plays at a wedding?
Speaker 2: Any band that's hired by a Saudi prince?
Speaker 1: Any? Okay, okay, First of all, they take care of you. Back up, back up, Yeah, only a Saudi prince is Saudi.
Speaker 2: Prince money, not just a Saudi prince.
Speaker 1: Listen, if you're regular money. If you're a regular person, uh huh, with a.
Speaker 2: Regular budget, okay.
Speaker 1: Not somebody who's living your life based off.
Speaker 2: Of fossil fuels okay, ground.
Speaker 1: Up dinosaurs and a gas tank. Okay, if you're a regular human being on a regular wedding budget. What is a band that people would know that you could hire for your wedding?
Speaker 2: Any local band they enjoy?
Speaker 1: Who enjoys a local No no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no no. People enjoy local things. I'm sure that they do.
Speaker 1: That does not mean that everybody at my wedding is gonna know who they are or even care.
Speaker 2: But why is it important to know they are? If they're good?
Speaker 1: But if it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: You know who making the Stallion was? But she was good? Now everybody knows who she is, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: But my question is, but say before people knew who she was. Then you're hiring a local rapper for your wedding. Everybody was local, Like I was a local comic before I got on this their television. You were a local comic before you got on at their television, you know. So I'm not saying that people don't hire a local band. What I'm saying is that their repertoire. The reason I'm not a fan mainly of the wedding band is that they don't know all the songs. They know their songs, and now if I'm a fan of this band, but the people at my wedding aren't a fan of this band, that means that my wedding, the guests of my wedding are subjected to the songs of this band that they have never heard of.
Speaker 2: Right, subjected to, I said, because because.
Speaker 1: It's fine, they're able to joy whatever. So a band only knows the songs. Are plenty of friends in bands, because I have a lot of white friends. They know their songs, and then the songs they learned how to play. After that, there's no more songs. So depending on how long your reception is, So say they got ten songs, billy probably know about twenty thirty songs, right, they could no more.
Speaker 2: They need to know more. If they're a wedding band.
Speaker 1: They should know more. But there's certain things that they can't play. It go the the demographics, right, I can't. But I want to hear No Hands by Waka Floka. I don't know a band that's gonna play that. And I don't want to hear a band play that.
Speaker 2: You don't know that. You don't want to hear a band play no no, no no.
Speaker 1: There was that one white boy that was playing that was doing it in an acoustic version of it, to the point that Waka Flocka took him on the road. I'm not saying that, I don't. What I'm saying is is that the music that they their catalog of music is limited because they can only play a certain amount of songs. But if you have a DJ, you have all of the music.
Speaker 2: So this is the thing, This is where I think DJs can fall short. There's two ways in which I think DJs really can hit rock bottom as far as the reception goes. One of them, yeah, absolutely, rock Bob. One of them is a DJ. Just like you're talking about wedding bands. A DJ has to have the right rhythm and they have to feel out the mood of the reception. Okay, that's a talent that everybody has. A lot of people can make sure the songs don't skip. A lot of people can make sure the songs don't skip, but some people don't know. It's like, all right, we just played this song. Maybe not this song next, you know, No.
Speaker 1: That's because that goes out. Listen, as someone who has dated a lot of DJs, dated slept with Tomato, Tomato, I've done both. Right, A good DJ, Yeah, Yeah, they're gonna be paying attention to the flow of the party. They're gonna be paying attention to beats per minute. They're gonna know how to ample party up. He going bring a party down if it's at the end of the night. You see what I'm saying. Like I was at an event last night and the DJ and this is what the number of DJs I have duode in my life. Like, DJs to me are almost like journalists, right, there's no Listen, think about the number of times that you've been interviewed by somebody and been like, you didn't go to school, You're not trained in this. Like when we were only dealing in newspaper and periodicals. You had to have just you know, schooling training and gump shit, all right, just being a real fucking no to become a journalist. Now, anybody with an Internet connection in Google Docs can call themselves a journalist. The number of times I have been in an interview and been like, did you do any research? Do any research? Like? It's the number of times I've been in an interview and I could tell someone does not know what they're doing. You want to be called a journalist more than you're trying to be a journalist. It's like when those comics at first start out, they only want to hang out in the green room, and like, you've been doing a stand up for three months, get the hell out of the green room. You're not a comic. You're someone who's performed on You're someone who's gotten on stage and said words. You're not a comic. So I'm saying is we've all seen shitty people try to do a thing and this DJ last night I called them the anti crowd DJ, where they will play you've had we've all experienced the anti crowd DJ. And this is someone who takes a popular song from whenever, from whenever. They'll play it long enough for you to get excited about it, like, Okay, that's my song, and they I think they wait for somebody to go, that's my song, and they never get them let them get to the part where they say song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anybody like oh the in between songs, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: No, no no. If you're the person who's enjoying the song and you get ready to say, oh, that's my song, this DJ is watching you, and they're watching you go that's my and then they change it m M. And then they'll do it again with another song and then change it, and then they do it again another thing, and then and then the song they let them play all the way out is a song that nobody is enjoying.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this. That thing that you're describing right there, I think that comes from people who used to do radio and then they started DJing because if you remember back in the day when we were kids and there wasn't this like ultimate access to music, right, you can only have what was on the radio. Radio DJs would tease out the upcoming song like whatever new thing was about to drop, they play like fifteen seconds of it. And and it would be how they keep you listening to their show. They'd be like, all and stay tuned for the new drake and you know whatever, right, So that would just happen over and over and over again. Then finally they play no, no, I'm with you. But that's just where the person like learned that skill, and so they're just carrying it over. But it's a it's a very weird thing. It's not conducive with parties. But that's also why I'm not defending radio DJs or wedding DJs.
Speaker 1: Well, but I feel like for that to come from that. Eventually the radio DJ played the song mm hmm, like allgally there was a payoff for them doing this. This is just has you know, you know this this, you know this song, you know this Migo song that you really like.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Here's fifteen seconds of you know white you know T shirt Mama told me at and then it's gone, I'm like, but I love seventeen to five. I wonder yo, some colored T shirt Like I don't know, it's evil, I'm with you surely rude. So it's like those DJs are annoying. I call them anti CRD DJs. Also the number of DJs that I have booded.
Speaker 2: I feel like you should have chosen a wedding band because you're coming that DJs way harder than what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying is that DJs have their ups and their their pros and their cons. But there's more pros to having a DJ because like, say, you have like my wedding, because we're speaking into existence that I'm going to have a wedding. Okay, Okay, this is what we're trying to do. I'm trying to talk better. I'm trying to be less pessimistic because sometimes being you know, trying to because I always think the worst of a situation. So instead of being disappointed when it goes bad, I get to be surprised when it goes well. Not I kind of feel like that's not probably the best way to think.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's it's it's not conducive with getting and what you want and feeling how you want to feel.
Speaker 1: Right, because usually I have just spent a lot of time being disappointed and hoping that something will change it, right, as opposed to being optimistic and then being disappointed. But like people don't realize that hope is hard so.
Speaker 2: Hope is very hard. And I also think that you know, like this, I completely agriogle what you're saying. Hope is difficult, which is why I feel like you either take the hopeful route, or if you're really trying to get there, you trying to manifest it, you go the grind route. Okay, you go ahead. No, I'm just saying, I'll just say it's a possibility. I'm just saying, just say, you find a man that's out here doing his thing, getting it, just getting the grind drilled into his lifestyle, you know what I'm saying. So then when you meet him, he's like duels, say, I want to I want to sit in and chat with you. I want to be around you and everything, but I can't even I gotta go right now because the grind is out there all right. Here is home, but you can't stay home. Sometimes you got to grind it out, you know. Sometimes you gotta leave that person that you're with go grind.
Speaker 1: But I just got him. Why is he leaving me to grind?
Speaker 2: A no, no, no, no no. But one of the reasons you like him is because he put the grind in. Okay, So then you're.
Speaker 1: Sitting but what is he gonna be done grinding? When is he gonna be ground?
Speaker 2: Hey, he'll be ground when he is completely and forever no longer broke, all right, But until he's there, don't you want to grind her? Or do you just want Do you just want somebody who you gotta have to spot for dinner? Okay, so let that man grind.
Speaker 1: I'm also grinding, but we are grinding needs to sync up.
Speaker 2: Ay Ay, I'm just telling you the way it is out there, You, Josh, I hope for you that the grinding sinks up. I hope that when you have to go, he has to go. All right, but more than likely when you have to go, that may be his only time to rest. And he really shouldn't even be resting. He should be out there grinding. All right. If you see him sleep and you wake him up, you tell him sleep is for the week.
Speaker 1: Listen. You know the scariest thing I've ever heard is I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's one of the most toxic things that we have been taught as of society. That and he's only being mean to you because he likes you. Uh. There's so many girls that have been very, very awful situations because of that phrase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he might just be mean.
Speaker 1: He might just be mean.
Speaker 2: He might just be mean. And look, let me tell.
Speaker 1: You right now, if he's being mean, he's not grinding.
Speaker 2: If he's out here grinded, he had enough time to be mean. Okay, when you grind it, you just have time to grind and to sleep and to be a good man.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna lie to sleep because I understand it. Being asleep he can make you cranky. And I don't want some sleep deprived man, because you know what happens with the man's grinding and sleep deprived. He ain't dropping off that d like he should be, okay, And at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: That's part of the grind too, though, is part of the grind. It is how can it not be?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: It's one, It's one of the main things. All we really need is humans, is water, shelter, food, and the smash.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: You gotta smash is a synonym for what grinding.
Speaker 1: I cannot wasting. This book comes out here. You are a terrorist. So one day I'm gonna get married. And this is the thing with the good DJ right, So I have friends and family of various ethnic backgrounds, right, my wedding is going to have a very large amount my best friend, one of my good friends, like their families, my family, their mom is my mom, like and it's all like, my family's going to consist of like a very small group of black people. Yeah, and then I don't know about fifty of my Mexican family, right, So the music at my wedding is going to be very different, you see what I'm saying. So it's like I have down South stuff and then pop stuff and then rap stuff, and then Latin music is going to be played. So I need a DJ because I'm wanting to be playing various genres of music from various eras, right, Like you might be playing that love Vodka song and then there's coma lafloor. You see what I'm saying, because I enjoy both of those songs. But also there might be a bone Thug arm any song and then gloriala Pimp. I love her, by the way, have you heard of her? But she's great. She's from Memphis. She has a very deep voice. She's a tiny little thing. She's so adorable, but her voice is deep. But she has the song and a line of the song was like you got ninety nine problems in the biggest woe is me, and like you can just hear her smile and smiling, and it makes me so happy because also it's like, I don't want to be the biggest problem, right, I want to be thirty seven of these problems. That's not true. I don't want to be any of his problems. I want to be his solutions. But if you can choose, because listen, I don't know, have you ever heard that song by Prince, the Beautiful Ones? No, listen. Prince has a song called the Beautiful Ones and the chorus is that the Beautiful Ones will hurt you every time and just the thing I want. And I just hope that if my future husband is listening, then he finds the humor that I'm about to say. But for everyone listening, listen to the song the Beautiful Ones, and then think about somebody who broke your heart. Don't you want them sitting in the dark listening to that thinking about you. You don't want that for your life. You don't want that for yourself. You know what? Somebody just sitting in the dark cry going baby, Oh my God, to make you so happy.
Speaker 2: I think I'm all right.
Speaker 3: The thing about a wedding bad, bad, because I feel like we we've gone a right as usual.
Speaker 2: The thing with a wedding band that I will say, there is an energy in the room. What that can't be matched by just playing a song out in the dance?
Speaker 1: What energy? Every time I've been at a wedding with a band, I've been annoyed. And also anytime I'm at a wedding with a band, it seems like that the band either didn't there's not been in some nice white weddings with bands. There's never been a black wedding with a band. But it's always first of all, once the swing music starts, I gotta go. Also, a band start playing genres of music that I don't listen to, I don't enjoy, I don't know how to dance to so and they're always gonna play a chicken dance, which is fine, But like, I don't know what energy you're talking about. Anytime I've ever been in a wedding with a band, soon they start playing, half the people leave.
Speaker 2: So my band heads know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Bandheads, what are you talking about the band heads.
Speaker 2: Who hired a band for their wedding. Know what I'm talking about, the people who play in bands for weddings. I've talking about other people who have been to a wedding with a band that the band went off. Know exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Give me an example of a band going off at a wedding. I have never enjoyed a band at a wedding ever.
Speaker 2: Just because you hate bands at weddings they're the worst, They're not the worst they are. DJs be the worst. I've had DJs be absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: We've all had off, We've all seen awful DJs. Have been in clubs with bad DJs. I have booed DJs. I have recruited people to boo a DJ, just okay, as I've all got booed a band. People don't realize booing is actually very cathartic and it's informative. You've never booed before.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say I've never booed. Actually, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Trying to make sure that you booed, because someone who booed knows what I'm talking about. Would you rather boo one person playing bad music or boo a bunch of people who are trying to live their dream booing one motherfucker who didn't play the song you wanted. Fine, but booing a wedding band?
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: So look, I'm saying DJ is too accessible, all right, just like you said it is ipop whatever. It's so accessible that some people that are both bad at checking the vibe of the room and being a DJ get to be DJ, sometimes hired for a wedding bands. Though, since bands have to include people who understand and play instruments and know how to play different songs, you're already starting at a level that's a bit higher than these terrible DJs.
Speaker 1: Well, because just because you and a band have decided you can play a song doesn't mean you can play it well. You're playing it not not I would rather hear. There's nothing worse than the bad cover of a song. Also, you all of the wrong tempo, you all the wrong key. The singer is the wrong singer for this song. It's either too low or too high for them, So they're not good at singing. This band is not good at playing. Because when you have a bad DJ, you can get to the point where because this is the other thing, about wedding DJs. You can give them a playlist right. Also, you can get sample of their sets. You can see them DJ somewhere else in the same way, did you listen before anything? All wedding entertainment should be vetted. See a set from this DJ, listen to this band before you hire them. Because anytime I'm at a wedding and there's a bad DJ or a bad band, my first thing is they must have been a FOD. I didn't say what I was gonna say, is it affordable? Don't shake your head. I was really nice. Whenever I'm at a wedding and the DJ or the band is bad, I know that you did not go see this person. You didn't get a video of them performing, you didn't get a take, you did not you had no idea what their skill set was before you hired them. And that is unforgivable. Period. It's not unforgivable. It's such an intense thing, but that's how I feel. Also, like bad food at a wedding, you should have tasted this food. You should have tried this cake. I know you tried the cake.
Speaker 2: I should have had it cold. By the way, because it's gonna come out cold, it's gonna be cold. So the best wedding food I've had is wedding food that I knew was going to be good even if it got cold, because no matter how many if you have a big wedding, no matter how prepared you are, serving the plates means it's going to be lukewarm, which means it might be cold by the time I get to it.
Speaker 1: And see, I know people thing that a buffet is tacky, but when you're serving that many people, that's the only way to ensure that that person has hot food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't care about hot food, then like, don't do the buffet. It's fine. But if you care about it tasting the way it would taste for you when you were having the sample, Hey you gotta you gotta just I mean, but that's a that's a totally different thing. I'm I'm just saying that when I have watched bands, there's been it's been fun, and there's been what do you say? How do you say it? There's been something about the band being there that was you know, it's for you, it's special because it's unique. You know, Wow, that's.
Speaker 1: The same songs they play for everybody at every wedding they perform it.
Speaker 2: No, they're feeding off of the crowd in a different they're not.
Speaker 1: It's a band. They can only play so many songs. They have to learn songs. They don't know all all the songs. It's not special, it's not court. It's here's the here's the song, we're gonna play all. Most bands, listen, I've dated dudes and bands. I've known people in bands. Bands have the same way that comics have set lists. Bands have set lists, and if you're hiring a band, you usually have to go these are the songs that we want you. These are the songs you know how to play. These are the songs we want you to play. It's not a special curated thing. The fuckers know thirty songs and then and we're gonna play them in whatever order did you pay for fifteen? Because think about it, say a band knows thirty songs. A wedding reception lasts how long? Four hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 1: Got a wedding reception that last four hours, say a song is about five minutes, that's forty eight songs. Most bands don't know that many songs.
Speaker 2: But the bands also take breaks, just like DJs take breaks, right.
Speaker 1: But a DJ listen to a DJ takes a break, they put on on music. When a band takes a break, there's no one playing an instrument. That's all your music.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. There's a different vibe in place with a band than with a DJ.
Speaker 1: If only that depends on the people in the band. That's what I'm saying. If your band isn't vibing with the people, because some bands treat that shit just like doing it shift at McDonald's. All right, we're in here, let's play these songs, get this thousand dollars that we're gonna split up among the six of us and get the hell out of here. So, if it's you have to find the band that wants to connect with the audience, that wants to create an experience, You have to get the right band because a lot of it falls on if you're creating this experience or whatever. Because I'm telling you, most wedding bands I've seen, they're not even really talking to people. They don't take requests because they can't take requests because they only know thirty songs and you probably only paid fifteen.
Speaker 2: This is where I'm coming from. I think you would be surprised at the whether you're talking about bands or DJs, I think you'd be surprised at how similar the set list is for both those people. I understand DJs have access to more songs, but when you actually look at a four to three hour wedding reception, I think you'd be surprised at how basic and how popular the songs that DJ plays are because there're songs that a band would probably.
Speaker 1: Know, but a band has to know the popular songs, So a band doesn't have the opportunity to play these offcuts that they can only play the hits because they're a cover band anyway. And then and they're doing their like aren't most wedding bands cover bands?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, some of them. Some of them are straight up like jazz bands. Some of them are like rock bands. As far as the genre.
Speaker 1: They're playing new jazz, Yeah, they'll.
Speaker 2: Play new jazz. If you if you hire a jazz band for your wedding, they're coming at you with stuff you've never heard before because you like jazz, do you know what I mean? Like they I understand they have to hit you with jazz classics because that's the genre that you want within stuff that people will be able to dance to, But you'd be surprised at how like some of them just instrumental. Wise, take the singer out of it for a second. Some of them are just playing mood music. That's sure a DJ could do and everybody could talk over whatever. But sometimes it's just nice to watch somebody play an instrument that's good at it.
Speaker 1: You know it is. But also, wedding DJ just DJ mort affordable overall because it's one dude, it's one human being or it's one woman. How do you identify it's one human being? And it ain't back in the day where you got to bring in the crates and crates and music. Okay, ain't nobody walking in with crazy, anybody really scratching records like they needed to.
Speaker 2: I would love for somebody to just bring a crate and you're like, what's in that? And it's like the eighties.
Speaker 1: Exactly, wasn't that crate the nineties? What do you yeah?
Speaker 2: Like the Fat six?
Speaker 1: I got six more crates?
Speaker 2: What so?
Speaker 1: What do you need us to bring out a dolly or something? No, no, no, I got my dolly with me. Oh okay, I brought a wagon.
Speaker 2: Nah, this he's a wheelbarrow full of vinyls, full of.
Speaker 1: Loose vinyl not even in a container.
Speaker 2: It's like, what is this? This whole thing looks scratched off. Let's play it in five out god.
Speaker 1: Because that's what I found it about the history you're like scratching. It's like you had to buy two of the same album, and if it was really popular, you said he one of them you just scratched. That's why, like with scratching, it out like a rec at least it was like somewhat salagable. If you scratch a CD. There's a bone iue in Harmony CD that I used to fall asleep with somebody, So I used to fall asleep just to think about that.
Speaker 2: Just hurt my heart.
Speaker 1: I used to fall asleep listening to and there was a scratch at one particular part in the song. And whenever I heard that song without the scratch, it was like, oh, yeah, that's not.
Speaker 2: Supposed to Yeah, you get a feeling, you get the actual like, ooh, what's that. I find that when I make a playlist and then I play with something out of order that's on the same album. When I actually listen to the album and the song I'm expecting doesn't come next. It's genuinely jarring. Yes, Like even if I love almost all of an album, when I actually grab the album and and I'm like, let me put some of this on playlist. Usually my two favorite songs are never next to each other hate, So then you place something you love it, and then you get used to the other thing that you love coming behind it. But then someone you're just at somebody's house and then letting an album play in the background, they're just chilling, and then you're like, this is completely out of order?
Speaker 1: Who did this? Did this? Oh?
Speaker 2: The artist? Did it? My bad?
Speaker 1: The first album I got that wasn't a rap album was justin Timberlake's first album, Justified Okay, And that's when I found out that rappers love sketch comedy. Yeah yeah, because it was just thirteen songs. And then I was like, where are the sketches? Because the only thing I'd ever had was like Bone, Thugs and Harmony CDs or like you know, Crazy Bone solo album or both Thugs album were t i's. You know, it's like the first time I got a non rap you know, or fucking busy, like I had a lot of bone Thugs and Harmony albums is which you can obviously hear from this, but I heard. I was like, where a skin just to tipulate they do his job? Like I was very concerned, and I found out that if it's not a rap.
Speaker 2: Album, there probably won't be.
Speaker 1: Brittain scares and heavy sketches either. Like it's not like Alicia keys in heavy sketches either. And I'm just like when did rappers? These niggas just love comedy, like that's what I'm just like, very good. But for me, it's just I can go. I want to be able if I'm paying you to play music at these here nuptials. Okay, I'm up here feeding all of these people, and I'm brought in shoes. You know, It's like I got all kind of snacks. It's a party in this bitch. I just changed it to a different outfit because I'm about to party in these beach okay, mm hmm. I want to be able to walk up to you and go, I want to hear anything, you know how the last song you played, so listen. I won't be able to walk up to the human being that I'm gonna paid money because they got to eat right, sit down, eat, do you I did not know that sometimes at weddings people don't look like the photographer and the DJ eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's wild. I have heard about that, but yeah, who.
Speaker 1: Are these people? All I'm saying is that I should be able to walk up to a DJ and be like, listen, I want to hear Reba's fancy, and then walk up to you later and be like listen, I want to hear big old freak from Megan the Stallion, and I need to just be able to come from the same person. So I don't want to hear a band do Megan thee Stallion. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't be impressed if a valion no no, no, no no, if a band had the musicality to perfectly capture the instrumental and if a singer had the pipes to pull off.
Speaker 2: A well known song that isn't usually played at weddings.
Speaker 1: I'm not interested in hearing a cover. I don't enjoy covers mostly it's like I want it like it reminds me that musa kind of Hey. Also, I've always been confused by like the covers you would actually hear like the music music. I'm like, I'm gonna start bucks, and I'm like, wait a minute, this is who sang this song and it really is it really less money? I guess I'm always confused them, like how is it legal? I think it's what I'm always confused about.
Speaker 2: You have to pay a royalty for the recording, but then just for the performance. I don't think that you have to pay anything because it just it would be like you having to pay to sing the song you like in the shower, because if it's a recording, you can get mechanical royalties off of it. You can make money off of your version of this song. But you didn't write it and you didn't do the original recording, so you have to pay the people who basically do the original work. But I think that for a while.
Speaker 1: Then why why does not let the original work be the work? Why are you paying for.
Speaker 2: I think I think that some people, there are some people who have really great covers there are and it's part of their catalog because maybe how they made a name for themselves is that they proved that they were as good of a singer as this person, and then they broke like broke off into their own original stuff, so I could see how if one of those really hit, how you would want to You're like, hey, it's worth paying this person who originally created the royalties so that I can get my shine off of the fact that I sing this thing very well or you.
Speaker 1: I mean, we all know the best cover of any song of all time is Whitney Houston doing We'll Always Love You, Because like they interviewed Dolly Parton, and Dolly part was like, She's like, I wrote it, but that's Whitney Houston's song mcause, she said. She said the first time she heard it on the radio, I think in the interview's detentionals ran off the road she was driving in her car. It was like, I'm not like it was very.
Speaker 2: So I feel like this is a good place, yeah, to kick it off to you the listener. I feel like, maybe, look, Admittedly this time, I don't know if I made enough wedding band points, but I said my piece. I think that wedding bands are great, and I think that for the length of your reception, hopefully you find one. Just like it's your responsibility to find a DJ that knows vibes, it's your responsibility to find a wedding band that actually knows a lot of songs and has done weddings before and just can bring that energy. I think there is an energy in the room. I'll say it again. I really do believe it. I've witnessed it.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying there is an energy in a room like someone who is playing music in a room has to be able to capture that. I'm just saying that I haven't been in a situation where a band has caught the vibe because a lot of times that I've seen bands perform at a wedding, I've seen people go.
Speaker 2: And then let.
Speaker 1: There's never anybody on the dance floor that it's like it's no one you're here because there's but also there's people that really because I've been a wedding like, oh my god, dn't say there's a band you gotta dance. No, I don't know how to swing dance. Emily.
Speaker 2: We want to know what you think. Yeah, is it? Is it wedding DJ for you? Is it wedding band for you? Have you been to a great wedding that had one or the other. Please let us know.
Speaker 1: If you have been to a wedding with a good band, Send me the name of this band. Call your friend and be like, hey, branded, what was that band you added your wedding twenty five years ago? There's some loud black lady that wants to know if your your band was trashed. Just I just want to say, I just want to see it. I just want to see I want to see it. If you are a good wedding band, don't send me really because what I'm going you.
Speaker 2: But that I feel like that's a that's a mixed message.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no, Because this is the thing is if you're a good wedding band and you send me your link, you're like, hey, I'm a good wedding band. If I don't think you're a good wedding band, you're not gonna get the response that you want. You're opening yourself up to criticism that you don't need. So if you think you're a good wedding band, don't come to me. Go to Josh. Be like, hey Josh, I'm a good wedding band. Tell don't say we're a good wedding band, and then Josh can listen to you, and then then Josh can be like, hey, I prove my point. And if you are a good wedding band, I will come back on this show, back on this platform. Okay. When people talk about having a podcast in their platform, it annoys me. Also when people talk about their brand on a punch people in the face. But if you're a good wedding band, you send you send your demo to Josh. Josh, fuck's with it. He consid it to me. I fuck with it the next episode that we're doing after, I will listen to your band and be like, you know what, Bobby and the Sun Chokes pretty great band. Okay, so I will I will advertise for your band. If you're a good wedding band.
Speaker 2: We want you to know that we appreciate you. If you're looking to catch up with us on any of the socials, you can find me at Josh Johnson Comedy on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube, and also at Josh Johnson on Twitter. If you are looking for Duel Say, you can.
Speaker 1: Find me on our goals in a nets at Dulce slum d u l c E s l o A N. Don't say not Dulce because my mother went to college.
Speaker 2: So we also want to let you know right now in this moment. We want to use our platform. We want to build our.
Speaker 1: Brand because we're trying to do what Josh.
Speaker 2: We're trying to grind, yes, and we're trying to bring you with us in the grind. Okay, So if you're still check in next week all right, where we're gonna really introduce some grind time topics.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: So tune in next Thursday, all right to get your weekly helping of your grind juice, of.
Speaker 1: Your grind supplements, okay.
Speaker 2: Of your grind supplements coming through your ears, maybe come through the eyes. If you check this out on YouTube, it's gonna be on YouTube, the whole thing, all right. We give it out to you the people, for free because we care about bringing the knowledge to the youth and bringing the grind to the people.
Speaker 1: All Right, get your weekly injection of that grind juice. Okay, put on that belt, all right.
Speaker 2: The thing that you're saying is bad. Now, no medicine was ever administer or with a bell. Yes, we should we should probably stop now. Everybody, have a great week into the weekend, and we will catch you very soon.
Speaker 1: Grinding Grinding.
Speaker 4: Explore more shows from The Daily Show Podcast Universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast