Speaker 1: Ruthie's Table four is now a book.
Speaker 2: Paul McCartney, Michael ka Kamala Harris, David Beckham, Tina fey Elton John and many more. It's full of stories, beautifully designed, and a celebration of the way food connects us all. It's available now wherever you buy your books.
Speaker 1: Ruthie's Table four brought to you by Sky and Montclair. In your experience of being in the front line, of being with the soldiers, I'd like to ask you what they feel about eating. They do they how do they express the need for good food or food? How do they want to be fed?
Speaker 3: Well, food is comfort, obviously, but food is survival primarily. So in most military situations, no matter which military were with, the priority is hearty food that's portable, right, So if you're embedded with the American military, it'll be MRI's Meals Ready to Eat, which are those little cardboard boxes full of little pouches and you sort of add hot water and it heats up some sort of chicken casserole whatever. But each of those packs has like two thousand calories. I mean, if you only add one of those a day, you'll be totally fine. I haven't actually seen many of the militaries that I've been with recently eating things like that. It's always been in Ukraine, I see a lot of these open faced sandwich type things. So they'll do rye bread with pork fat, with a boiled egg, with salmon, with a pickle, with sausages mostly cured. The Ukrainians do a lot of preserved things, lots of pickle things, lots of condensed jammy things that they'll smear on bread. And then in the Middle East, a lot of it is sort of catches, catch can but there are moments, it's in my experience, where there will be a big delivery of something and then they'll set out a feast for the army. So I had like an amazing experience with the Kurdish Peshmerga on a mountaintop overlooking Mosul where they were in a tent and we walked in and it was laid out with just platters of rice and meat and bread and little salads and picky things, and you know, people would just rip up bread and grab a hunk of meat with the bread, and you know, amazing. But the logistics of military feeding is mind blow I mean, it's it's quite an endeavor. And you know, we never expect to be fed in any of these situations. We're always i mean, just energy bars and nuts and you know, whatever sort of bare bones calories we can keep in our bag so that at minimum we don't have to we don't have to ask to take food away from the people who need it to fight.
Speaker 1: But is that your responsibility is a producer, to make sure there's food? Sure, how do you do it?
Speaker 3: We just load up, We load up before we head out, as simple as that. And then I mean, in a place like Ukraine, there are supermarkets functioning all over the place and very beautiful, clean, well stocked gas stations, so you know, it's just a constant make sure we have it, make sure we have it, and you know, you end up doing a lot of pre eating, like I'm not hungry, but I'll eat because I never know when.
Speaker 1: My next meal comes.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of the day you're like, oh, man, I just has five giant meals because I was pre eating and then somebody served me something and you know, I overdid it.
Speaker 1: When you come home, if you've been in this situation of danger, of fear, of lack of food, Ye, isolation? Does it take an adjustment to it.
Speaker 3: Actually took me a while in my career to figure out the right way to decompress from these things. Because even in America, when I was a young producer, I was covering school shootings. And when you're young and covering school shootings like Virginia, you know, those students who were killed in Virginia Tech were two years younger than me at the time, so that that was really traumatic. And I used to go home after those trips and just crawl into bed and lie there for a couple of days and then emerge. And actually it wasn't serving me, and I was really not treating the trauma in any real way. And what I've what I've actually learned is as soon as I come out of a war zone, I like pack my life full. So as soon as I come home, I'll throw a dinner party that night or the next night, or I'll immediately book some exercise classes or spend some real time with my kids, or you know, just make a bunch of plans and dive right back in into sort of the warmth of everybody around me.
Speaker 1: Do you sleep well?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I mean, I'm lucky. I don't have to live in a war zone. I get to leave a war zone. So I think the job has given me actually a amazing amount of perspective and gratitude. So I know how lucky I am that I can sleep without a siren and have water running water in my house in a hot shower.
Speaker 1: Where would you like to go next? If you do not like to go? But is there a kind of war, the conflict conflict that is going on now that particularly treats you.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, I'll be going back to Ukraine probably very soon. The Iran conflict is interesting. We're trying to figure out how to cover it because it's it's impossible to get there, so we're trying to figure out interesting ways to cover it. The Ebola outbreak is happening. Yeah, we have a team going. But they're very different calculations for me because I've got small children, and yeah, I really don't want to get ebola. They are six and eight, two daughters.
Speaker 1: What's the longest you've been away when you go on a trip.
Speaker 3: The longest since having children is about I think the twenty twenty two Russian invasion of Ukraine. Was the longest. I think that was about three and a half weeks, but I try to keep it to two weeks max.
Speaker 1: When you go on vacation, where do you go.
Speaker 3: I spend a lot of time in France. I love France. I go to Osgor these days. It's near Beerits just fut the Beirits, and it's amazing. It's it also has a saltwater lake in the middle of town, and so they've got oyster shacks all around it. So you go and oysters and rose and oh it's the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it, and literally.
Speaker 3: Annually I spend a lot of time in Ligouria as well. I mean the sort of Mediterranean is the best place.
Speaker 1: It is not a cookbook, you know, I was thinking that or a memoir of some of these stories. Yeah, food under Fire.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because people love food and the people are endlessly curious about how other people eat. So it's you as
Speaker 1: Mhm.