Speaker 1: Trigger warning.
Speaker 2: For this episode, we're going to be talking about mental health, postpartum depression, and trying to conceive.
Speaker 3: Scrubbing in with Becatilly and Tanya Brad and iHeartRadio and People's Choice Award winning podcast. Hello, everybody, we are scrubbing in. That is an unfamiliar voice because Tanya is gallivanting around Italy and scrubbing in with me today. Is my best friend manager Randy. To my clin Ali Grant, Welcome, though, I am so excited to be scrubbing in today. I'm so happy that you're here because you were here. I'm trying to think of when that was. Was that before or after your wedding?
Speaker 2: Because so much has happened since you were last on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I think it was right before my wedding. Oh it was pre what I think it was? Or was it two years ago? Yeah? A whole child since then, been pregnant since I think it was before the wedding or maybe like directly after. Yeah, it's a while, it's.
Speaker 1: Been a while.
Speaker 2: And we did have a slight breakdown trying to get her camera adjusted before this, and they had me seated next to her and I was like, she is We're not like Tanya, She's we need space, so we're like touching.
Speaker 3: We don't like I don't even really like looking at you, to be honest, I'm just gonna stare at John podcast today. Yeah. So we have a very it's like a very banter, heavy friendship, which I love. I love it.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where to begin.
Speaker 3: I feel like people have been wanting to have you on the podcast because I think cute. I think that you have recently been talking more about your experience of you know, getting pregnant and then postpartum, and you were kind of quiet for a while on socials, which people are not used to because you just been posted yeah quiet. I feel like we should start with wanting to have kids, Like, wanting to have kids?
Speaker 1: Was that something that.
Speaker 3: You've I want you to talk about this too. Oh okay, I talk about it on the podcast. If you were listening. I listened to every episode, I like take notes right right? Yeah? Yeah you forgot. I forgot that you've talked about that before. Yeah. I mean I think I was like such an on the fencer what you call it for so long. It's like I would be around other people's kids and I'd be like, I don't want this, this sounds horrible. I love to sleep, like I'm like a sleeper like you, like I need ten hours to feel good in the morning. And I loved my life like I did, like I was very comfortable, you know, like feeling really really good. And I felt like the decision around having kids was like a really big one for me. I was never like a little girl that like dreamed of being a mommy, you know, like I never had that. It was never interesting to me. But the thing that I don't even know if you know this, the thing that changed me the most is that I saw a psychic at like someone's party.
Speaker 1: Do you know that, Oh you did tell me this?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And I was like I'm going to ask her, like like I'm going to ask her if I should have kids. And she was like she sat me down and whatever, like felt my aura. She was like, you have souls waiting for you, Ali woa, And I like burst into tears, like when you hear it that way, like you have souls waiting for you. It's like, I don't know, it like shifted for me completely. And Remy is like such my little soul. That was like meant for me, like I really really do feel that way. Yeah, but that was something that like helped me decide. But I also read some books, some like op Eds. I Like, I would go like rogue on my Instagram stories, be like should I have kids? And like let people way in and like I was like crowdsourcing a very very personal decision. It's something that is so different for every everyone person. Yeah, it's all circumstantial, right, Like it's all relative. And my mom, like I've talked to you about this. My mom would be like nah. Like I did not have like a like parents being like when are you having kids? Like my mom would be like, eh, nah, you don't need kids. It's fine, They're not worth it. So I never I just didn't have that pressure, which I feel like a lot of women do like that, like to have grandkids. Yeah yeah, it's like when did my grandkids? And never had that question. But yeah, I mean we ultimately just like decided and we were like, let's do this. His identical twin got pregnant, and like identical twins like have a thing where they all have to like always do the same thing. So he was like okay, now, like he was he was ready, like mentally when I was like already kind of there and then so we just tried. And then so you were there before Carston was there. Yeah, like totally quietly maybe like I did it because I didn't want to be the one like let's have kids, and then like we like regretted it or something, and then like I was the one to blame, if that made sense, Like I wanted him to come to that decision on his own, and so I just was like yeah, like I kind of was just like, yeah, I don't know, could go either way. Like that was kind of like what I would say to people and to him. So y'all got married, uh, May twenty twenty four. Yeah, and then like that, when did y'all Like when do you feel like but before the wedding, had you felt like you wanted kids? Did the psychic thing happened before your wedding or was it after the psychic thing happened before by wedding? Yeah, I went into like the wedding, wedding kids, but you were pretty I feel like our conversations were very like cool about it because I just like I don't know, I like didn't I didn't also want to get like too excited about the idea and then it be like I really wanted my partner to be like all in on it, right right, Like that's like it's such a fifty well most of it's like only on the woman, but like raising a kid as fifty to fifteen totally. So I like I get I don't know, like probably like nearer around the wedding is like when I was like you locked in, I locked in. I was like, because remember I stopped drinking. I kind of went on like my health mode directly after that, so I like I had like an inkling in the mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the drinking was for anxiety.
Speaker 3: I feel like initially stopped drinking because it was anxiety. Yeah, that's like the whole thing. Yeah, drinking causes severe anxiety for me, and I'm so glad I don't drink now, Like I will have like a margarita and like be on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah one hit wonder, might one might say full one hit wonder when did y'all start trying?
Speaker 1: Like what was the process of trying to conceive and everything?
Speaker 3: So you know me like I am so like everything has to be planned and structured and I like need to control.
Speaker 2: So tonya actually very y'all are so different, but y'all are so similar in in.
Speaker 3: That way way. Yeah. Yeah, Like I'm Type A, but I'm also like extremely type B. It's weird. I'm almost like a mix of you, like IM don't call me that though. When was it that we started to try?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: I got married in May. I got pregnant in November, yeah, because we found out at Morgan's Morgan's wedding when I was like three and a half weeks for I didn't even miss my period yet. We use something called a nido, which is like a like a like a tracker thing, like it tells you when you're like being fertile or not. So we use that from day one. I read this book I forget the name of it. It's like some fertility book I got on Amazon, and it like talked about keeping your feet warm, to like getting acupuncture kind of like holistic wellness to like get pregnant. And I like really like took it all heart. So that's why I like stopped caffeine, I stopped drinking, like I just tried to like live this like very like cozy, warm, calm, soft yeah life, and I feel like it's like an interesting method, Like all of it kind of makes sense and like acupuncture to me like really makes sense too. So anyways, did all of that We tried once, so we had sex once one day six marriage. No, Like the amount of times you actually have to have sex during trying to conceive is crazy, Like it's literally fourteen days in a row, like you are like raw, like it is like it is like what are you and not to be like rude to Carson, but are you enjoying it? Or is it like like business like it is like get your ass over here and we're having sex and like just laid out. It's not like it's kind of I mean for other people maybe it is like enjoyable thing, but it felt very like transactional, right, like let's let's get this done right, and then you have to have your feet up after. Like nothing about it is like sensual or whatever. Although having an orgasm for the woman I feel like really helps you conceive, really is it fact? No, it's like it's told me that. No, but just like think about like having an orgasm and like what happens down there and like since it like opens things up, you know, and then like the sperm, and.
Speaker 2: I don't have the experience personally, not experiencing.
Speaker 3: I know. That's another thing that I feel strongly about, is like the woman should have or try to have an orgasm. So try to make it as pleasurable as getting your micrator out if you need to. Yeah, yeah, you know. Okay, so y'all had one sex. I was trying to think. I think the first time we did it, we did it like like it's like two days before your ovulaty and then like ovulation day, and then like three days after you ovulate, so it's like a matter of a week. That's like your window and then whatever. I like swore I was pregnant, but I wasn't, no, because we were in Vegas. Yea, yeah is that? Yeah? Remember I was like, I'm definitely I felt it, but I wasn't. And and the reason I feel like I wasn't, well, I'm sure there's a million reasons. The chances of getting pregnant in any one session or whatever is really really low. It's like fifteen or twenty percent. It's not crazy, and like we're all grown up to like be like so afraid of like getting pregnant. Twenty four to seven, like it's I mean, obviously when you're like sixteen, it's easier, but like it's kind of crazy how hard getting pregnant is. But anyways, we use lube, and so lube I think kills the sperm. Not. I think. I think it's like a science thing that makes sense. I don't think you're I know, you're not like talking about sperm that much. I'm I'm a grown adult. I realize that. I realized people are navigating lives with sperm. Yeah, there's a lot that there is a lot of sperm floating around. So yeah, we used lube, and you know that just that just hurt the chances. Yeah, did not get pregnant. Second time we did get pregnant. Wow, Yeah, were you I didn't feel like, oh my god, even though you were trying to feel like, oh my gosh. Yeah, but you kind of are like wait what, Like you're like no, like are you sure? Like Carson's like no, you're not, No, You're not, no, You're not. Like I would show him the strip and he'd be like no, I don't think.
Speaker 1: So I think this is sooner than I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean I've just like in my mind like people tell you takes a year or more like like that was what was kind of like in my mind. So yeah, it was really quick, which I'm like, in hindsight like very feel like very grateful and blessed, and like the trying to conceive journey or era is like very sensitive and delicate, and there's like so much emotion that goes into it, including lots of heartbreak and excitement and ups and downs, and so it's like, I know also like my personality, I think I would have it would have been really hard for me, really really hard for me. And like you know number two if we do go down there, like who knows what's going to happen. But I feel very very blessed. And I do want to say that and preface that because it's trying to con see if it's it's and be very hard.
Speaker 2: And it's also there's so many there's so much information, there's so much advice and you're hearing yeah, people.
Speaker 3: Say you should do this, you should do this, and it feels it seems very overwhelming just from yeah, what I've learned of you know, friends going through it. Yeah, yeah, no, it's tough and there's and that's i think that there's so much noise around, like pregnancy and labor and trying to conceive, and like I think, like navigating that noise is really difficult too. You have any like influencer or whatever saying what they think is the right thing, Like even me just sitting here talking about what I think is right, Like, don't listen to me, like I'm an idiot, Like I have a degree in journalism literally everything.
Speaker 2: You have to do your research, and you have to do what is best for you and your your body and your lifestyle realistically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and be realistic about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you get pregnant, and let's talk about pregnancy as well on a doozy for all.
Speaker 3: Involved, Like, of course, my pregnancy was the way it was right, like it It's funny because like labor was really great and easy for me. Getting pregnant was really easy for me. My pregnancy, like I didn't have complications, but I was so sick, like so unwell, Like I was bedridden for probably like three or four months, well, definitely the first trimester. Yeah, and second it was up to twenty six weeks. I was still throwing up and nauseous, which is isn't that Like second end of second trimester.
Speaker 1: That's hard to say.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's it's deep into the pregnancy.
Speaker 2: So you you did go past the first trimester with the nausea and all that.
Speaker 3: Yes, where were you were?
Speaker 1: I just felt like you were always tired. I didn't know you were still throwing me.
Speaker 3: I was tired, right. I would invite her just to be like I just so she can say I invited her, but I know she don't count her in. I missed my birthday, I missed Christmas, like Thanksgiving, like literally every holiday. I was just like so so bad it was. It was so rough, and everyone be like, oh, thirteen weeks, that's when like the what not seasickness whatever the hell is called morning is basically worse than seats sickness. Morning sickness will go away and you'll be fine. So was like counting down, like and then it's like fourteen weeks still here literally twenty six weeks. Whoa, yeah, I mean I was like in sweats, didn't brush my hair like sick.
Speaker 1: You got some good picks, yeah, good selfies.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my best time. I mean I also, like, I think you envision, like what you're going to be pregnant, and it's like you like cute belly ow, like we're the.
Speaker 4: Sun dress thing that was gonna better everything we know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know, and I'm always like a weak human. So yeah, we're talking about she comes. We would go on trips together and if we stayed in the same room.
Speaker 2: She brought her own fan. It was a whole thing of her item. She needed sell machine. She's an iPad kid, so she.
Speaker 3: Fell delicious and delicate and like needy and like I just have Yeah, And I think the thing with like being pregnant is like you lose all control of your body. Your body is literally not yours. And I think that feeling is really intense, like emotionally and physically, and like, I don't know, but we've had like so many like close friends have just the most amazing pregnancies as well. You're the only person I noticed they just like a like, I just complain a lot, like that's a part of it. No, because I think nausea and throwing up is miserable, Like I don't think there's anything more miserable than that. And I even if I have a night where I'm sick for just the night and then I feel better the next day.
Speaker 2: I always go, I don't know how people do this for months and months and months and months of no relief.
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing. Is like, yeah, like if you like are really sick and like have diarrhy or whatever, You're like, I'll be I'll be better in the morning. But it's like no, it's like I don't know if I want to be better in like three weeks from now. Yeah, like there's no end in sight. So how'd you get through it? Well? I tried zofran, which everyone was like, try so it's like the best thing ever. It didn't work. And then like I couldn't poop for like forty five days because it constant fates you like crazy. It didn't work. So that sucked because I was like I remember I got the prescription and I like took it and I was like, oh my gosh, and there was like one hour later, I'm like, I am still super sick. Didn't work for me at all. The only thing that worked is I would take unison like the sleeping tablet at night and then the next day would be like my best day. Oh so my obgian said to do that and it like was the only thing that worked for me. And then just like the most like guardettos, Like I would be like Carston go to seven eleven and like whatever, eleven PM, I need guardettos. And it was only like the little brown they have the bags of just the brown ones. No is that new? No? How long have they had that?
Speaker 1: Ears?
Speaker 3: Of course I gave that. Damn I would be plucking them out and yeah, you're pregnancy cravings were like my daily No, we talked, Yeah, I would have like a Gatorade, like just like really process grows stuff that I just like normally wouldn't. And then I went into like a fruit phase where like I had to have watermelon, oranges, orange juice, pineapple, tomatoes, like I was obsessed with tomatoes. I'd also make like bloody mary mix. I just chug that down with salt. It's like it was weird. So, during this time you're navigating getting through it, are you thinking about giving birth?
Speaker 1: Because I think a lot of people that is there.
Speaker 3: They love the idea of being a mom or you know, a parent, but the idea of going through the process of labor is so terrifying.
Speaker 1: Were you thinking of that or did you think about that?
Speaker 3: No, I was like, weirdly never really terrified of it because I think my pregnancy was so sick and like unwell that I was like get him out and I don't care how like I just was like I'm ready to give birth. Yeah, Like I mean I would like see stuff like on social media and like be like a little freaked out and like for whatever reason, when you're pregnant, like people want to tell you their birth stories, and when they're like negative, I'm like shut up, like what are you doing? Like it's really crazy or like people's moms will be like my daughter was in labor for seventy two hours and that emerge. I'm like, are you good? Like why are you telling me this story? It's it's a really odd just to get too prepared, Yeah, you don't want to hear it. I think if like for me, like I try not to, like, well, mine was really positive, so I like say, but like I think it's best just to be like, you know, it'll be great, You'll be good, Like, don't tell your personal experience.
Speaker 2: So when when you can you tell the process of when you went into labor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when okay, that was whatever middle of the night, at like one am, I started getting like cramps.
Speaker 2: Like this was Tanya's birthday that you yes, because I was like.
Speaker 1: You cannot have a baby on to I need at least.
Speaker 3: One day, yeah, which I think it's like one day. So it was like one in the morning and I was getting like cramps, and I thought I was just having gas. I like, hit Carson. You know I'm a gassy girl. So I hit Carson. I'm like, oh my god, I'm like I'm having so much gas. He's like okay, And I was like, I'm gonna have a bowl cereal because that's gonna I know what will alleviate me.
Speaker 1: Cereals.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean at the time, it's probably like a puffins or something like that, or like the peanut butter puppose.
Speaker 1: Are so good for victory gas.
Speaker 3: Really. Yeah, So got my bowl of cereal and I was like really going away. And then I'm like I'm not farking also, so so it's like I'm not like this is weird. And I was like I'm gonna get the contraction app out because I'm like I feel I was what like two days away from my yeah, yeah, du day you're doing the twenty first Yeah. Yeah. So I was like, okay, this is probably it and it was, and so started tracking the contractions. It went from like zero to sixty like that, like it was like I'm going to fart to like I'm on the ground. Whoa. So I took and it's all a title for the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm on the Ground.
Speaker 3: I had. Like, so this was like a Thursday whatever. The next day, I had a blowout booked. My mom was gonna help me do like my spray TND. I think I was gonna get my nails done, like this was my beauty day because I was going to blog in the hospital like that was my moment. I was gonna be taking all the footage and missed all of that. I have insanely curly hair. I take a hot shower while these like contractions are starting, so and then it like and then I was like, okay, then I'll like kind of blow dry my hair. My mom will help me whatever, like I'll have time time like this all just started. Like I said, it went from zero to sixty. So, like I take my shower, I'm in the on the ground in the shower, my mom and dad are in an airbnb like next door. They all come over, they're getting the car prepped. We didn't have the bags ready. We were like like it was just it was all like with Carson had like one too many IPAs the night before. He was like because we all because I was initially going to be induced that Monday because he was so big, So we all kind of were like, he's coming Monday, like that was the plan. Hair's wet. Then we're like we gotta go. So I just like pull on whatever. It wasn't my planned cute outfit, my you know, my hair, like it was like Bahamas times one thousand, Like I get to oh and I'm like in the midst of all of this like collapsing, I'm like, I need a snack. I'm like so like Sara, I was like I need a snack. My dad and oh, my dad the whole time like the content creator that he is filming me. So I'm on the ground. He's got his phone out like up in my face, like when I've seen this mode like I can send a deal and I'm like I'm like I don't know why. I'm like getting all nasty towards everyone. We get in the car, it's probably like two thirty ish or whatever. So this whole thing is like an hour. It's like quick, like because I thought I'd be like laboring at home for a while before I go. Carson's like getting lost. He like, we don't he doesn't know how to get the cedars you Like, I'm like screaming at him. I put Daisies on by Justin Bieber like that was my song at the moment. I have my like birthing comb, which is like this thing that you like squash. Have you heard of one of this? No, Just like it's just a wood comb and you're supposed to like hold it and it like helps with like the pain because it like puts pain when you put pain some of it like whatever. So I'm doing that. The contractions are insane, like a contraction pain is like no other like people like you don't know unless you've been through it. Was it like your Bahama's pain when I'm terrible. We almost had to bet that was like a yeah, like ish kind of similar, wow, similar, but like a million It is like gas pain, but like forty million times worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm having like full blown contractions on the drive there. I get there, so they don't admit you unless you're like a certain amount dilated. And I was like, oh my god, I bet I'm not like I'm gonna have to like go to like what is that Beverly Center and walk around. Probably doesn't even open. I don't know. They like literally will turn you away. And I was like, there's no way. I and so much pain I'll die. I was seven centimeters dilated, like within like an hour.
Speaker 1: The ten is where your time to push that's coming out.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. It was so quick and I'm like I need an epidural like scree like I was such a mood. I was like such some not like being that nice, like being so bossy to everyone, like you know when I get that little like, oh my god. It was like times ten. Carson's sick. He's like because he's got like such bad nerves. He's like happening to go to the bathroom like every like it was bad. We were like a hot mess. I didn't get a duel line.
Speaker 4: I'm picturing you how you imagine this calm blog with your hair and your nails and your spray tan, and like my hair started to dry.
Speaker 3: I have no product in it. It's like it's like a crown of fur. Like it's like a mullet. No makeup on.
Speaker 1: Why doesn't yelling at everybody?
Speaker 3: I like, I don't even know what I'm like wearing some like Amazon outfit, but it was, yeah, yelling at everyone. And the parking in Cedars it is like in a dungeon, and like he had to just leave me with like the valet person and I'm like sitting there and I'm like, no, to like go park the car. Oh yeah, because of the valet people weren't like valeting at that time because I was like middle of the night or whatever. So he used to go to the park. I'm left with this like guy and he's like, oh, are you okay. I'm like, no, I'm not okay. I catch the baby that comes out. Literally are you ready? Yeah? Literally? So anyways, get rolled up, get into my room. So we had done a tour and during this remember when I did the hospital tour, Yeah, and I was like I hate this hospital.
Speaker 1: It is wanted.
Speaker 3: I wanted it. Yeah, I wanted to sweet. I want a suite at Cedars. Sign I was like fifteen thousand dollars and they don't take insurance.
Speaker 1: So f yi, you see someone with the sweet.
Speaker 3: Unit, They've got real money. But I was like, no, I want to switch hospitals because this place is like it's not equipped to what I need, which is like crazy. It's like one of the best hospitals like in the United States, but they the tour they send you, they don't let you look at the other rooms or they let you look at the other rooms, but they put you in this one room and like talk about all like the gear and stuff. It is like smaller than that. It is like a close like a broom closet, and I'm like if I get this room, I'm gonna freak out, Like there's my karma. We got that room. There's only like one of those small rooms and the rest of them have like these like huge windows with like you can see like the Hollywood Hills and like all of la not a single window room closet.
Speaker 1: Like there's only one.
Speaker 3: There's like not very limited and like the majority, and I'm like, they like wheel me in this. I'm like I'm not no, Like I'm not no, I'm not going to be in here. But I was like in so much pain that I was like, but I need my up and they're like, you would have to like wait like a day to get the other one, and that's not happening. I was like, fine, so I'm in this room, which again is like so me because you know, it's like I complain, like probably no one else complaints, and I know they literally probably being so I'm nasty that they're on room calls. This bitch needs the room. And epidural came in like forty five minutes after that, and the feeling from no epidural to epidural. I don't get why people would not do, Like, what do you think the like logic is behind. I think there's risks, like yeah, I mean I think there's risk if they hit your spinel cord or something. You know, oh, if you're Pregnanty, you did not hear that, You're like, well, I wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying people reason.
Speaker 3: I think that's super rare. I think that's I'm just saying it's rare.
Speaker 2: But I think if people have anxiety about complications, but I agree. I've heard like my sister has had five kids and.
Speaker 3: She loved she loves giving birth because she loves the epidural. She just loves that she's just like in blissible. I mean it's in like not instantly, it takes it. I don't know, like twenty thirty minutes before it starts like fully kicking in. But it's like this like warmth that like takes over your body and like all the pain has gone and the contractions come and go. I literally had to be like, was that a contraction? Like you don't so what do you feel pressure or kind of just like a little like maybe tiny like like period cramp.
Speaker 1: Wow, So can sorry.
Speaker 3: If you're pregnant and you're already scared, but can I ask if the epidural hurts? Because really no, I was so like people could be like, oh, it's like a needle that's like a foot long. I mean it is. It was like a pinch, like literally like a shot. Like I guess by the time you're asking for an epidural, you're experiencing such intense pain. I think that too. It's like you're going into it like with like your pain threshold is probably like adjusted because you're like, holy crap, But no, it didn't hurt at all. It's like the comb Yeah you're fling, yeah yeah, yeah, literally it's just like a little pinch and then yeah, you like what's weird. And I didn't really realize is you can't use like you you don't feel your legs. Yeah, because the numbs down there. Yeah, And I think that would be like a big reason I'm not wanting to get it because it does then slow down labor because you're not able to likely feel and control, so it's like you're like kind of wobbly down there.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing was a little weird. So you gave birth in the broom closet and the broom closet, and I felt like for you that was in terms of the pregnancy and everything was the easiest.
Speaker 3: I like, I love the labor, Like I like it was so empowering. It felt like, I don't know, it was like magical to me. Wow, I really enjoyed it. Like it was really really hard, really taxing. I pushed for like two and a half hours. He was a nine pound baby. Son was a big boy. That's a big boy.
Speaker 1: I was ready to come.
Speaker 3: Second degree tear, okay, which is like normal, it's like average. I think there's four levels. I want to know how to mid range stitch right up yeah, and yeah really like uncomplicated and simple.
Speaker 1: Well, I as your friend.
Speaker 3: I and we have like such a funny relationship, like we're so close, we're like literally like sisters and how we talk and banter, and I like burst into tears when Carson texted me, you did did you tell me what?
Speaker 2: It was so emotional. He just said she, you know, she did it, and it was He was like, I'm so proud of her. She was amazing. It was really it was really really sweet.
Speaker 3: But I remember that feeling of being like, oh my gosh, she she did it, because I felt like everything was the Pretnancy was so hard that I was like, good god, yeah those labors going to be a doucy Yeah, and you were just such a boss and handled it and.
Speaker 1: Nasty to everybody leading up.
Speaker 3: Made it happen.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I was like as soon as the epidural hit, I was so sweet. I was like, you look like Sydney Sweeney. I was like, you're so beautiful, Like I was like almost like high and like this girl. And they were like, Cary, Wow, that's really emotional. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was cool because you're my first, like I would say, my first best friend, the person closest to me outside of like my family that has gone through that. And also, I mean I lived with my sister at one point when she had her kids, but in a long time, the person that I'm so close with, you're the first person that's gone through that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's also nerve wracking because such a big.
Speaker 2: Deal and you know, you want it to go well and to be for it to be like a positive experience, and so it was really emotional. But I want to get into what happened after you had Remy.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I was good, I was great for a while there. Would you say the first Yeah, but I will say the first like a few months, you know, you were just the adjustment to.
Speaker 1: Life not being what it was forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an adjustment. My sleep was gone. I mean even had a night nurse and like, I didn't sleep that well.
Speaker 2: Because you're still having to you were breastfeeding, so you're still yeah you're woken up.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Carson slept well, but.
Speaker 1: Your mother in law son slept exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it's like, okay, you like are given this baby, you've never had a baby. You come home and you're like, what the hell, Like what do you do with him? Like literally, I'm like I don't know, Like you can't like all the books you read and the youtubes you watch, like nothing will prepare you for like bringing home your own baby and having to keep him alive. Like it's it's really intense. And he was like an angry little fella. He was like he came into this world angry. I always say with him, was like he didn't like being a newborn. He was like, I want to be a toddler. Like he's like, I'm not.
Speaker 1: He wanted to skip that Yeah, he wanted to skip that day.
Speaker 3: So he was angry about it.
Speaker 1: So that getting Garnettos and puffin cozy, I know, it.
Speaker 3: Was just like what yeah, yeah, I mean it's like you're you've got a wound down there. You're like totally busted from giving birth. Your hormones, like the hormone drop is like insane, Like you're sweating, you smell like it's like it's just so much stuff is going on, and then you got to take care of this baby. Like it's like a huge adjustment. And I think you like go from like your normal life and like doing whatever you want to, like just like this newborn bubble where you're like at home all day every day, not sleeping. It's like weird and like it was also like really hot in La at that time. I think it was like kind of how it is now. So like we couldn't really go outside either, so I was literally house bound. He hated the stroller, he hated the car seat, so likely go anywhere. So nothing felt like old life. Nothing felt normal, And I think in hindsight, I wish I just like surrendered, Like I wish I was just like this is where I'm at right now, and I am going to accept it because I he's only this little for this long, right, But I think I was fighting it the whole time. I was like, Okay, let's like, why isn't he doing this? Why is he like, let's taking me it like I should.
Speaker 1: Have just y'all are very like on the go.
Speaker 3: I love being at home and resting, so I feel like that, but no more bubble would be a breeze for me personally. Yeah, but y'all are very like on the go, so actually being confined to the house is daunting, I imagine. Yeah, And it's just like you don't know what you're doing you know, it's like, Okay, he's screaming. Why is he screaming? Does he need a pass? He? Does he need a bottle? Does he need a breath? Like? What does he need? I think that, and like I think cars. Every time he cried, it was like what am I doing wrong? Yeah, like you're kind of like you know what I mean? And breastfeeding was like he latched initially all that, but as you know, rest feeding kind of led to my well before we.
Speaker 1: Got to that.
Speaker 2: I remember going over and you were you were saying the feeling you had was almost like the feeling of being homesick.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, that was kind of like the I don't remember when was that maybe like two months post part.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say maybe a month or to two months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were like, how are you doing? And I think I was like, you start crying? Yeah, it was the first time I think I saw you ever cry. I'm not a ever, but I'm not a cry You're not a crier. Yeah, And we like even if something sad, we like laughed through it. It's probably unhealthy, but it's how we do it. And so I was kind of like, oh, like this is serious. You know this is like a moment of yeah, like real raw you know, and being And I also think you know, you see social media and it's so I mean, I do think there's so much beauty and like joy in that new phase, but it is like such a raw thing that just watching you go through it, and I only know through what I know of other people, but it seems so jarring, the lifestyle change and the hormones and everything that comes with it. So I think hearing you say that, I was like, oh, this is my best friend who's like this is real. Yeah, I think I answered. I think you're like, how you doing? I cry and I'm like I feel homesick. It's like that feeling like when you go sleepover at a friend's house when you're little, and like all you want is to go home, yes and see your mom. I saw this quote recently that was like the first time like looking at yourself, like post birth. You look in the mirror and you're like, I'm so like messed up and hurt and in pain and like I need my mom, And then you realize you are the mom. Whoa yeah, And it's like it's just like this shift that's like really crazy I do think, like when I like kind of broke down to you that it was the start of my postpartum depression. Yeah. Yeah, so I do feel like that was a start, and that was around two months. And then when I have a memory of it, which you can correct me if I'm wrong, was we were at my birthday dinner, so October thirtieth, Yeah, and we were both having a hard time, Like I had my own stuff going on, and we were both crying, and You're like, I'm having a really hard.
Speaker 1: Time and I was like me too, like you what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were just having a hard time with it was breastfeeding that you could label.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the moment, that's like kind of what I was labeling it as I think it started with like and first of all, this is like three months postpartum, kind of like when it started like getting bad, Like I kind of thought I was in the clear, you know, like when you hear about postpartum depression, you hear it happening like immediately after birth or pretty close to it. Three months, I was like, I guess I didn't get any like I'm good, Like, you know, there's a few things, but I just like chalked it up to being like you know, lack of sleep or whatever. So I think there needs to be more education around the fact that postpart and depression can have to happen up to a year postpartum or even more. Well, so if you don't if you keep pushing it down or don't take care of it that too, it can just yeah, be right, but it can like be and get worse or it can emerge. Yeah, So I think it was. It kind of started with like kind of just like some moodiness that I was noticing, like kind of like luteal phase vibes, like you know when you're like I'm about to start my period and I'm just like a nasty little witch. Like That's how I was noticing that towards like my husband, my mother in law, like my parents, like just like a little nasty the nastiness and re emerged again, and then I would like get weird about like people wearing shoes and like very obsessed over him, like germs and people holding him. And then EMFs. I like read something on Instagram about EMFs, like on electronic magnet whatever that you know what an EMF is. It's like this stuff that like like a Wi Fi router puts out or like a cell I'm like moving the Wi Fi routers around his nan it. I'm like, you can't have the nant. Like I'm like this is weird, Like this is a little bit odd odd behavior. So just like little things like that that would kind of like almost like obsess over like little OCD. And I think that was just like the start of like a hormone fluctuation. And I was starting like the the depression was starting the depressive episode, and then it I went to your party, I was like crying the whole time. Eventually, I think like after that, didn't sleep probably five days straight, like did not sleep a wink baby sleeping. I'm not sleeping like it It like went really it went from like again like my labor like zero to sixty yeah, very quickly, and I was like WHOA, something's wrong and what's weird. In the very beginning, I think you would come over. I'm like I'm not good. I text you like I'm not good. We over and we go and we go on a walk, and it like something shifted. I was like completely fine, Like it came in like a wave. It was so weird and I felt good for like twenty four hours after that, and then I don't think I felt good.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say we had a time where I came. You were like can you come over? And we went on a walk and we talked it out, and I remember you texting you were like, thank you for coming. I feel so much better. And then I feel like not the next day. But the next day it.
Speaker 3: Was like bad, bad, really really bad, and just kept getting worse. So I got connected with the psychiatrist, a therapist. They put me on medicine wasn't working. I mean it got like really critical really quickly, Like I mean deep dark thoughts, like the most horrible things you can imagine. Like I was thinking about myself and like it was really really really scary, like just beyond for myself orone around me, and I felt like I had like no control over it whatsoever. I was so deeply depressed.
Speaker 2: Well, I've always seen when people talk about postpartum depression that it's it's kind of associated with baby blues and kind of the thing that you had at the beginning, which was like, oh my life has changed and there's like this new thing. But yours was very different from anything I had read about or you know seen Yeah.
Speaker 3: It wasn't very like textbook I would say, like I was. It was almost this like feeling of just like it wasn't good enough, wasn't good enough, like for my family, for Remy, for like anyone like I was just like a bad mom, like breastfeeding failure like and ultimately what happened, I was weaning breastfeeding. So I dropped my breasts feeding over the night, in the middle of the night, and that puts you in like a weaning state. And no one told me this, but when you wean, like the hormone shift is almost as great as the shift that happens would you give birth whoa, So it is another massive, massive hormone shift. So and for a lot of women it can it could be the start of like PPA or PPD. And for me that was my trigger. It was the weaning. So like the oxytocin and the hormones from breastfeeding, they like oscillate and they go crazy when you when you wean, and sometimes your your mind can't handle that. And that was what was happening to me. And I was so obsessed with continuing to breastfeed Remy. I couldn't stop. And finally I went to a breastfeeding doctor, not like a lactation consultant, but a doctor, and she's like, you need to stop. She's like you're done, Like put the boob away, get the bobby out. Yeah, Like that's what needs to happen. And I, I mean, my depressive episode started. It wasn't until like six seven weeks later that this woman told me that, this doctor told me this. A week after that, I was fine. So like for me, like actually stopping allowed my hormones and my body to adjust, and so it was like the dragging it out I think was like the biggest.
Speaker 2: Mistake because you were wanting to You were wanting to pre him to have breast milk like obsessively to the point obsessively.
Speaker 1: Like it was like I can't stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like I can't. He has to. Like I was like, so like formula is like the best thing ever, Like a fed baby is a happy baby, right, like no matter how you do it, And like that's what bugs me so much about like what's on the internet and what people say and like the opinions around that. It's just like it is like I wish i'd just put my phone in like the trash at that time, right, Like, it was just I was like on Reddit form forums, like looking like what does breastfeeding do? What does formula do? Like I was just like it information overloads so much noise that I just did not need. And he loves Bobby. Bobby's great, he's a Bobby.
Speaker 1: The thing is he's a big boy.
Speaker 2: So I was like, there's no way your body can keep up with what he wants. Like it's just and it wasn't a failure, but I get.
Speaker 3: It because you're like, wait, I should be able to do this because he's my baby, But yeah, he was. I'd come around hold him and feed him and I'd be like he's done, and you're like, I want I don't know anymore, no more. Yeah. He would eat like for forty five minutes. Every forty five minutes. Yeah, so it was like he was sucking me dry. I had to pup. I was triple feeding basically. So it was I just I wish I had just like done the formula like Comba fed from the beginning, put less stress on myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who knows, like you know, its hindsight though, I mean, especially when you're doing something for the first time, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people talk about having a first.
Speaker 3: Child and then they do everything, try to do everything by the book, and then they have the second one, they're like, uh, yeah, you know, because that's just life life.
Speaker 1: So you, I will say as your friend, it was it was.
Speaker 2: Really hard to watch you go through that because it would be, you know, checking in how are you doing today, and it was just like, not good. There was no life in your which even though it's over text, but it's just it was so not you. And I would just text Carson or he called me and he'd like I took her phone away because you were obsessive about researching things, and.
Speaker 1: It was it was really.
Speaker 2: I'm just so happy that you're on the other side of it, because it was it was so unexpected because you we thought just like you thought, I was like, oh, she's crushing not even she's totally fine. And then I remember when I saw you and and walked in that one day and you were just like started crying.
Speaker 1: It was so unfamiliar to me and trying to.
Speaker 2: Be there for you, and a lot of people ask me like how how did you want people to be there for you during that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's a good question. I think even though I wasn't super responsive, like the check ins and the calls and the like, stoppings to the house like those really went a long way. And I think if you have a friend dealing with depression, severe depression, whatever, it might be like reaching out even though they might not be responsive, like there's a chance of reading it and that it is helping them. So I every little text, every little thing, like even though I couldn't give very much, it really really really helped me. Yeah, And I think that's important to note because you kind of more. I think at one point I feel like I'm talking to a wall. I was, but I was like, I'll keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll keep checking in because you know, I don't want you to feel alone, even though I knew you had your parents in Carson and Paana. But I we had a someone right in last week and they were saying their friend hadn't visited them since they gave birth like months ago, and they lived like forty minutes apart. And I was shocked because I thought, oh my gosh, I even if it was like hey, I can come help do laundry, I can come sit with you. I can hold the baby while you go shower whatever, or just watch the baby if you don't want them holding it. And some people were like, the last thing I wanted was anyone to come over and be there with me during that time. So I was curious about your take on that of during postpartum or during like post partners just like having a baby.
Speaker 1: But I guess both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think because you kind of like you're we're the same that we like solitude.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, over please. I think in that moment, like come over, hold the baby so I can go shower, or you hold the baby and all, you know, go do the dishes for you or something like. I think that is really nice and like helpful. But I also get at the same time just like leave me alone and like send me some Postmates or something, you know, Like I think it's like, again, you're going through this like hormone waves. It's kind of like what you want in the moment. Yeah, but I think too, like realizing, like you know, I had friend or I had a baby later in life, like got pregnant thirty six, had them at thirty seven, Like a lot of my friends from college and stuff like had babies like ten years ago, almost when they were in their like twenties, and I realized, like I was such a bad friend to them because like I didn't know what to do and I hadn't gone through it. And I'm like, oh my god, Like I could have set up like a meal chain or like sent them food or like just been like so much more thoughtful about it. And it's like, unless you've like been through it, you kind of don't know what you need. I guess, you know. It's like it sent some like onesies or something, but I'm like that's not what a new mom wants, you know, Like I don't know. I have the idea of sending like post it, like just being like, hey, here's a gift card, so your dinner's on me and taking off that stress. Yeah, because I think there's ways, especially now with apps and technology, that you can show up without physically showing up. Yeah, that's true, which is so you for your brand.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to figure it out with you.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing too that I like have to like and like I worked through that through therapy. Is like you know, I I when all of this like got better. I was like, the thing that's still like in the back of my mind is like the pain I caused the people around me, you know, like when I went through this, what do you mean, like just it was really scary, Like it was really dark and like I wasn't you know myself. Like it's like a lot of people around me spent a lot of time being really worried me, and I I carried guilt about that.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, you should.
Speaker 2: Let go of that because, as you know, I mean, I think I think it was a way specifically, I think also for Carston to show up, because your body had been through so much and your mind and it was like it was his moment to like step up and be the partner and like dad, and obviously she and.
Speaker 1: He totally did.
Speaker 3: He went beyond.
Speaker 2: He went beyond and he I don't think you expect like something that serious to happen so soon after first of all, marriage, you know, because it's like in sickness and in health, and that's those are the moments where that your person shows up. And same with your parents and Parsons, Mom, Pam, like everyone came to show up for you. And I think if anything, it's a testament to who you are that people were like determined to walk with you through.
Speaker 1: It as opposed to being like good luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know so, I think it's a good way to reframe it. Becca, thank you. I'm a podcaster and an advice giver. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Coming out on the other side and motherhood and all the things. And I think this is going to be the end of part one and we're going to have a part two episode.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, we'll be back, okay on Thursday. On Thursday, well it's Thursday's episode, but we're recording it now. We'll be back on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: We love you. By