Speaker 1: We got an interesting one today, Yeah it was. This is an interesting one. And this is going to sound strange, but I was looking forward to this movie because I know it sounds so bizarre, But here's why. Because I seem to like the ones that are about more serious subject matters. Sure, you know Color of Friendship and Selma, Lord Selma, I mean these there are There are a number of these movies we've seen going to the mat a number of these movies we've seen now that kind of tackle more serious subject matter but done disnified, if that makes sense, through the eyes of a child, and they I like kind of like the way they tackle the more.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those things where you go, oh God, Disney, did it again right to be able to hit heavy topics, like you said, through the eyes of a child, get it to where you see the level of like the weight of it. But it also isn't so much that like you got to shield your kid from you know what I mean, Like it's done so elegant and perfectly that you just go wow. Because I actually was going I mean this, you know, I feel like the Color of Friendship and Selma were things that were so were far before I was around. This was a topic that I was not even a kid when it happened. I was like a senior in high school, you know, about to venture into quote unquote like the big world, and this giant thing happens, and it was kind of like, oh my gosh, I don't know if I'm ready, Like how far are we going to go? You know, and again I'm just going, Wow Disney.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh I did trust you.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the Wave Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian Well Serena.
Speaker 1: As we were talking about if you ever thought to yourself, A man, I love dcoms, but I wish there was more about nine to eleven. Well you're in luck, because today we're looking at the two thousand and four family drama inspired by real life events, Tiger Cruz, which I knew nothing of this movie going in, and man, it was not what I expected it to be. I know, joke thought it was going to be about tigers. I thought there was going to be something with nine to eleven and saving animals or something like that. Okay, even slightly.
Speaker 2: I know, I only from seeing it now recently. This movie actually got placed on Disney Plus well after we started this.
Speaker 1: Oh really okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Because I remember this is a big one with obviously a big cast, a notable cast and checast, and the producer is going, we can't find it anywhere. It's not on YouTube, it's not on this it's not on So it was not on Disney plas before when we first started our podcast, and it's since been been released on it.
Speaker 1: Well, we are back, yes, and it was as Sabrina was saying, it was released on August six, two thousand and four, originally just about three years after the September eleventh terrorist attacks. And again, as Sabrina said, this one had some serious star power behind it, which is always nice to see. And yes, the story of the film is intertwined with real life events where the USS Constellation did return from two thousand and one Western deployment after the planes hit the World Trade Center with quote unquote tigers on board, which is code for family and friends in military terms. Now, despite the film being set on the USS Constellation, the movie was actually shot on board the USS John C. Stennis, a nuclear powered Navy supercarrier, and the USS Mimics, which is well one of the largest warships in the world. The movie was also shot on location in San Diego, a favorite West Coast harbor town, and with a ton of awful, awful green screen. Am I right? I mean it was distractingly.
Speaker 2: Bad, unfortunately, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Which they shot him on board these ships, so it's like, what's going on? I honestly on stage, but.
Speaker 2: I understand that. But yes, Yikes is right, Wikes is right.
Speaker 1: It was bad. But anyway, now, with a subject matter that involves one of the biggest tragedies in American history, critics noticed a change in the decom tone, of course, but with many of the tropes still intact. Variety's Laura Fries, which is a delicious name. It might be Freeze, but I'm gonna say Fries. By the way, she wrote that Tiger Cruz carried many Disney hallmarks, teen queen star, catchy theme song, predictable subplots, but it departed from the channel's usual fairy tale formula without diluting the message, while the Pittsburgh Gazettes Barbara Pizza Slice, I'm kidding, everybody's still with me. Her name is actually Barbara van Cherry. I believe Hey Cherry. She said it was a veritable recruitment film. But it's a pretty good movie with solid leading performances. Tiger Cruz is also one of the only three Disney Channel original movies to bear a viewer discretion warning at the start, purely based on conversations you might have to have with your child around nine to eleven after viewing it. We've talked about these warnings once before. Do you remember the other two movies? Sabrina No, Don't Look Under the Bed was one of them, and Wendy Wu was the other one.
Speaker 2: Wendy Wu.
Speaker 1: I imagine it was for the violent, for the quote unquote violence the fight scene.
Speaker 2: Oh, the fight scene, okay, which.
Speaker 1: We were again we said violent are action, not violence. But still for Disney, I could see why they would throw something up there. And musically, the theme song my Hero is You plays during the end credits, and it's performed by the star of the movie. I'm Gonna say her name wrong? Every time people, But I will try it. Hayden Panetier, does it right?
Speaker 2: Hey, all right, that's right.
Speaker 1: I knew I got it, Hayden PANATONI and is. And as is commonly the case, Tiger is available now to stream on Disney Plus. Go watch it within the next eight hours, though, because after that it starts to spoil. Sabrina, I have to ask, it's a legal requirement of our show. Did you know of Tiger Cruse before it became part of our job?
Speaker 2: I not before it became part of our job.
Speaker 1: No neither, okay, no.
Speaker 2: Very quickly after I booked this gig.
Speaker 1: I love how you booked it. We called and we're like, Sabrina, will you do a show with me? And that's you is booking the gig?
Speaker 2: Say it every time. I quickly found out about it, because you know, of course, I went on socials and was like, give me all the good ones, and this one came up quite a bit, quite a bit. What is luck of the Irish? But hey, how do you beat luck of the Irish?
Speaker 1: Or brink? But I can see why. Well, now let's inferral the massive flag of this awesome country, because it's time for the synopsis. A teen girl joins her navy pilot father for a special friends and family sailing expedition on the USS Constellation, but the experience turned serious when the events of September eleventh, two thousand and one unfold and the ship is suddenly called into action. Sabrina, what were your early thoughts on the film?
Speaker 2: Well, I again, I was a little nervous, and of course, I, like I said, was surprisingly like, Wow, it was to me done very very well. I think that the subject matter is tough. I think also looking back and we kind of got a chance to see a link of like the interstitials that Disney was doing, it was like they were really giving a place for kids to kind of soak this in and see the world as it was actually happening. And I thought it was done really well. That was my first What about you.
Speaker 1: Will, I agree? You know, I agree, I'm I'm My father was in the Navy for twenty five years, might even be more than that thirty years, so I mean, while I know nothing of the world of being an actual sailor on the ocean, and my father was based out of he was reservist, but a very high rank in the reserves. So he was, yet he loved being in the military. It was just the joy of his life is defending his country. And so we were. I grew up in Connecticut and I spent a lot of time at the Grotten Nuclear sub base. So my dad like, I would go there with friends, and my dad would go to one of the people and like, can hey, can my boy just walk around the submarine. So I grew up like walking on walking through submarines and going on two ships and stuff like that. So this was I have been on a super aircraft carrier before, and it's literally a floating city. There's like five thousand people, five or six thousand people on there, one of them now. And I could be wrong, so check me if I'm wrong, But I believe one of them literally has a McDonald's on board. I mean, they're incredible. So we always talk about the worlds that people are not always familiar with, so this is certainly an interesting world to do it. To then know that it's a true story based around, again, one of the greatest tragedies in our country, and to do it through the eyes of a kid, I agreed with you. I was like, here we go, Disney Man, this could really be bad, but then I know their track record to where I'm like, yeah, they seem to do. When you when Disney for a dcom takes real story with something that's happened historically that is usually not great or very terrible, it usually works out pretty well. They do it pretty pretty well. Couple that with then real story sports that maybe we wouldn't know about double teamed or you know, the Ender sisters in right on track, things like that also seems to work out. They know what they're doing when it comes to these lanes. But man, you are swinging when it comes to September eleventh and a d coom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to know exactly how to handle this subject matter because you're not talking like I said, It's not like Selma. It's not like Color of Friendship where you're talking about the past. You are talking right now out about what is happening within like people actually experienced this.
Speaker 1: So it came out three years after nine to eleven. This was not, like you said, not twenty years after the event. This is right, very much still fresh in the minds of everyone in our country, and.
Speaker 2: People literally still even after three years going through the repercussions that were actually involved or actually had family members that you know, were happening. So it was very very much, but I wish it was longer. Honestly I was.
Speaker 1: I wish anybuddy that was lost in nine to.
Speaker 2: Eleven, I know, I didn't. I felt it felt weird because I felt so like connected within being a kid wanting to be like a connected but but not having anyone actually actually involved. It wasn't until I did the Cheetah Girls and met Adriane and Keighley who Adrian lived in New York, Kiley lived in and was in New Jersey. But like Adrian telling me, you know, stories of her family members and having you know, ash all over their bodies, says, they were in the streets when it happened, you know, and going to school, having friends, like on their way to school while this happened. So how was the closest that I had gotten? How about you?
Speaker 1: I did? Yeah, there was there was a girl in my high school and I grew up in a very small town. So she was the year behind me in high school and name was Amy Toyan. I knew her with a small k everybody knew everybody, but so yes, I did know her, and she the story. I since kind of deep dived her story, and she was like the next day going to try on her wedding dress because she was going to be married and didn't want to go to the meeting that morning in the World Trade Center and was thinking of canceling. It's like all the horrible things you hear about of maybe almost wasn't there, then decided to go last minute, then was there, and right before her wedding. It was like all the awfulness that you hear about in every one of these stories. I mean, everybody who was affected by this had one of these stories. And so yeah, I did. In our town. Now there's a she was a voracious reader, and so in front of the Avon Public Library, where all the kids spent a ton of time. It's where we would go and hang out. There's a bronze statue of her at like six or seven, just reading a book, just sitting there reading a book. So I go and I visit it. When i'm there's it still chokes me up. So yes, it was. I and my brother worked in New York City and you couldn't get in touch with anybody, and it was just it was horrible it was the uncertainty, and it was such a just a crazy time. And I had friends that were my age that were like, like, I'm going in enlist right now, and what I mean it was it was a time like anything that anybody our age had ever experienced in this country. Because you heard about things obviously like Pearl Harbor in school and the day that would live an infamy, and these were abstract concepts that were in your history book, and then you wake up one morning and it had happened, and you're of it, and you know people directly affected, and you're watching it all live on television. You're watching the second plane hit, you're watching the towers collapse. It was like nothing God willing, anybody will ever experience again or had experienced since, unless you were very old and had been you know, around in for the time of Pearl Harbor, which was you know, nineteen forty two, unless you were a veteran at that point, you hadn't experienced anything like this. So yeah, it was to then couple that with we're gonna now do a d coom about it. Three years later, again Disney was swinging for the fences and well, let's get back into it and see how they did. And like I mentioned the movie stars, Hayden Pennantier nailed it as Maddie Dolan, a child actress who began her career on One Life to Live, then bounced around to some very big projects. She was the voice of Dot in A Bug's Life Not Ants, Don't get them confused, and appeared on Ally McBeal, But it was her role as Claire on Heroes that broke her into the mainstream. Would later start in the cult hit TV show Nashville, which of course takes place in Texas. And I'm kidding, it's Nashville and we've already seen Hayden on Magical Rewind for the Disney movie Ice Princess, meaning we've talked about her, but she's I don't think she'll visit. I'd like her to visit, but I don't think she will. Were you a Heroes fan? Did you watch Heroes?
Speaker 2: I wasn't, but I was a giant Nashville fan.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. I should be a Heroes fan because I'm such a nerd. I own the entire series and I've never seen it. I should pop it in and watch it. You like, I literally bought them at a garage sale, so and I was like, I'm going to watch this when I get home. That was like fourteen, fifteen years ago whatever. Never actually seen it, but I should watch here. It's great, especially for nerds.
Speaker 2: It Yeah, I heard it's awesome.
Speaker 1: I actually heard the first season is awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many seasons were there?
Speaker 1: Three? I want to say, or two. It was one of those that like ended on a cliffhanger and then they didn't pick up, so everyone was like, like the fans were like, wait, what the hell was that one. Then we've got another familiar face and one that I say as an underrated actor even though he's been in everything. Bill Pullman plays her dad, Commander Gary Dolan. Almost all of us know him as the president and Independence Day today will be our Independence Day. It was a classic role. But he also played Lone Star in Spaceballs. He was in The Grudge, Casper, Sleepless in Seattle, A League of their Own, and David Lynch's Lost Highway. Also, I'm throwing another one on here. If you want to see an absolutely underrated film with an amazing cast where he is incredible, go watch him in Zero Effect, absolutely great, and you'll see him soon in the big twenty twenty seven release Spaceballs Too. This was a big get for Disney at any time because he is and was the man Troy Evans plays Chuck Horner. He's an always working character actor who's played a cop or serviceman maybe one hundred times. You've seen him in Fear and Loathing, in Las Vegas under Siege, the Frighteners, demolition Man Bosh, and over one hundred and twenty five episodes of Er as Officer Martin, and his biggest claim to fame ever, of course, he appeared in two episodes of Boy Meets World, most famously as park Ranger and City Slackers A most Can't be a Ranger and a security guard in the episode security Guard. Two other names worth mentioning our Jeanette McCurdy is Kylie Dolan. McCurdy was a child actress who later became a Nickelodeon star on the show I Carly. She'd also star in the show Sam and Kat and is now known for her best selling memoir I'm Glad My Mom Died, currently being developed for TV with Jennifer Aniston and her recently released debut novel Half His Age and Finally, Janson Penetier plays Joey Hayden's real life brother. Also appeared as an actor on Even Stevens, Blues Clues, Robots, and How High Too. Tragically, Jansen passed away in twenty twenty three from an enlarged heart and aortic valve complications. He was just twenty eight years old. Rest in peace. Familiar name directed this one one we've talked about many times on this podcast. Dwayne Dunham. He's best known as the editor of Star Wars Return of the Jedi and who was a frequent collaborator with David Lynch, most notably on Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks, which won him an Emmy in nineteen ninety. Now a fun stat about dun him In nineteen seventy eight, at the San Andcelmo County Fair in California, he was the first person to ever portray Star Wars bounty hunter Boba Fet. It was the character's public debut. Sibrita laughs, to me, it was like if I had a time machine, that'd be on my list of things to see. Just the nerd in me is like what people must have thought when they first time they saw Boba Fet. Are you kidding me? Yeah, So he'd already filmed a screen test in the costume, so it made sense that he'd be the one who actually debuted and on the directing side done him was behind some classic d coms. You can probably list him right along with their With us, he would certainly be in the Hall of Fame for us and would love to talk to him. Halloween Town, Right on Track in the thirteenth year, plus some outside the channel flicks like Homeward Bound, The Incredible Journey and Little Giants Amazing, Amazing resume. And on the writer's front, we have Anna Sandor, the creator of a Canadian show called Hanging in Man. Does that sound like a kid's Canadian show, doesn't it? It should just be called Hanging in Ah And she was Emmy nominated for writing the nineteen ninety two TV movie Miss Rose White, starring Kira Sedgwick and Amanda Plumber. Sadly, Sandor died from melanoma in November of last year at the age of seventy three, and she's joined by Bruce Graham, whose past credits include movies like Dunstan Checks In Anastasia and two other dcoms. Right on track and a ring of endless light. Okay, kids, enough of all this, let's get down to what matters. How long is Tiger Cruz. Could this be a quick jount or is it a three hour tour? A three hour tour? Yes, I said it right. If you know, you know, and if you don't, God, you're young. We're hoping for ninety minutes, as we always do, and this movie is eighty eight minutes too short of the target, but a very respectful number on the right side. We appreciate the ability to creatively express yourself in under an hour and a half. Blessings to you and your family. All right, y'all, let's report to the mess hall and show some courage. It's time to review Tiger Cruise. We open at the NAS North Island Naval Air Station. We passed military servicemen, fighter planes, and aircraft hangers, eventually landing on a street of on base housing. It's September two thousand and one, and young Mattie Dolan is packing her bags to go on a Tiger Cruise, an annual sea voyage for families with relatives in the Navy. Her little sister Kylie, who of course, has gone on a few Tiger cruises, jealous of her sister's upcoming trip on the USS Constellation. This will be her first ever. Their dad he's in Hawaii, so Maddie is flying there to meet him, then getting on the ship, where she'll share a room with another Navy brat, although she doesn't like that term. Before they leave, Mattie's mom make sure she's actually excited to go on this trip, because for years she has declined the invitation. Mattie tells her mom to just drop it. And we can assume that she has a strained relationship with her dad, and we think it's because of his career in the Navy, but we're not quite sure yet. And now we're in New York City with a very sad clear view of the World Trade Center. We're in the with a young boy named Anthony and his dad. Anthony is also on his way to the Tiger Cruise to visit his older brother Kenny. He's nervous, but is also constantly drumming with his sticks he brings with him everywhere. Yes, he's got drumsticks and he ain't afraid to use them. Now we're at the Saint Louis Airport. Another young boy Joey is leaving to join the cruise to see his mom. His dad says goodbye and says he'll meet them when they dock in San Diego. And we're racking up even more frequent flyer miles here because now we're in Seattle. We meet another Tiger who's on her way, Tina Torres, who will be joining her sister Grace on the ship. She is a true military brat who wants to follow in her sister's footsteps, saluting and pretending to be a soldier. In the mirror. It's now September ninth, two thousand and one, day one, and the Tigers are on their way to Pearl Harbor. We see Maddie and Anthony on the plane chatting, but Maddie gets annoyed by his constant drumming on the seatback. Tina is sitting next to an older woman, constantly talking about the Tiger crews and the massive USS constellation. She is very proud of her older sister. Maddie's still feeling Anthony's percussion problem, decides to take the seat next to Tina, and now we have the diarrhea mouth with our main character. While Tina is honored to be a Navy brat. Maddie is offended by the grouping and eventually worn out by this girl's and says it yapping, as is the older woman sitting next to her. They're like, they just want this girl to shut up. You go from drumming and talking. I don't know which would we be were.
Speaker 2: On a flight, Oh either, I was like, oh, well, like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, this is going to be a lot. It's also San Diego wai. So you guys six hours of this ooh that is not Yeah, that is not a quick jaunt. You're not going San Diego to San Francisco now land it to Hawaii. The kids have taken a bus to Pearl Harbor. Are you You're a big Kawaii person, right are you? Yes? Okay, So have you been to the Pearl Harbor exhibit?
Speaker 2: Uh? No, actually we have never. I my parents have gone, but every time that we were there on that island, for whatever reason, we never went. And it's something that I would love to go do now, especially as an older like just more of like you know, I can appreciate you buff then yeah, and be able to appreciate it more. I would love to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never I've only been Hawaii once and it was for like three days, four days, so I haven't had a chance to go. I'd like to see it as well. I hear it's very moving when you get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what I heard too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maddie has moved seats again, now sitting next to Joey, who is nervous his mom won't be there when they arrive. I feel like they skipped the scene because it was it was weird. She's sitting next to one on the bus like caressing his hair like we're gonna find your mom, And I was like, wait, have they met?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was and it was interesting to see because I obviously recognized this little boy is Hayden's brother, and I.
Speaker 1: Knew that you knew that was her brother, Okay, yes.
Speaker 2: And I was like, wow, she in no way is like putting that like actor barrier in the fact, you like literally like this is her little brother. And she just was like he's on set with me, protecting him, like you know what I mean. Like it was like pretty pretty cute. I did actually love that part of it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I would like to have had one more scene of them meeting on the plane or something like that. It felt like they cut some thing, but but seems like it is obviously there.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, it seemed like they've even though yeah, I was, it was very kind of confusing at first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they see the USS constellation for the first time, and it is massive, and unless you have actually been next to one of these warships, it is, you can't comprehend the scope.
Speaker 2: Have you been on a crew Have you been on a cruise ship, like on a bigger cruise ship? Okay, because I really was trying to lock in because we've I've done a lot of cruising and in my head still, even though cruise ships are so big, I still put this kind of ship even bigger. Like so I'm thinking that I wonder how much bigger than like a giant I've been on really big cruise ships, Like how much bigger?
Speaker 1: Maybe the cruise ships now are getting so big that they're they're starting to maximularizing at the time. I mean, it's literally a working airport. So it's a floating, working airport in the middle of the ocean with thousands of people on board one hundreds of planes, helicopters. I mean, it is a massive, massive thing. You do. You stand next to one and you're like, this can't be human made. I mean that it can't be. It's too big and engineering feet And then you get on here you realize it's like, wow, this is insane.
Speaker 2: Well not to mention when you're standing next to it, right, there's like levels and levels and levels that go even farther into it.
Speaker 1: I think there's no decks below the water, damn. So yeah, I mean, it's really really amazing. The I think it's called the draft size, which is how much wake the boat puts out and how much underwater it goes with the keel. I think it's called the draft size. It's massive. When it comes to one of these these vehicles. It's really, oh credible, that is, So it's you should be on what they're really they're really incredible. And I've been on them when they do this. I haven't seen the bombing runs that they do, but I've seen the Coastguard rescue. So the helicopter will take off from the deck and they'll drop sailors into the water that then retrieve like a dummy that they attach to the thing and it goes up. It's really quite a film of it. It's really quite remarkable to watch this, just to see this coordinated team and how every single person is so important, and it's just it's really really amazing. I've always said the military. When you see these actions, you see what can happen when people decide to work together. It's really Yeah. So yes, it's huge. Thanks Tatina. We know it has a one hundred aircraft on board and even its own church. But man, I wish you would just shut up because she's now been talking for like twenty minutes in this film. And you like her, you do, but it's like, dude, yeah, give me a break. Once off the bus, the Tigers are sent to the forward Bow, which is just the bow. I love how part of this you can tell is written by somebody who doesn't know the boats. So they're sent to the bow, which is in the front, to see their family members, and Maddie has taken to watching after Joey. After reuniting, Kenny rushes in, eager to hug his little brother, but Anthony barely reacts, dodging the embrace and keeping his distance. It's obvious that he does not want to be there. Another serviceman, Danny, meets up with his dad, an elder Tiger named Chuck, who quickly reminds his son that he's due for a promote, especially with an uncle who works in the Pentagon. The USS constellation has been deployed in the Goal for six months, so this five day cruise to San Diego is a great opportunity for family members to check in. Tina finds her sister Grace, and they excitedly embrace and also dance and Grace was a bad it's so cool in this movie. Yeah, so I mentioned this up at the top of this is truly by this point I thought it was a mistake. How bad the green screen was. We've never seen green screen this bad in a dcom, have we?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean the people they were fuzzy, see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that what you mean? Like you can see the coletion.
Speaker 1: Were like super imposed and people were bigger in the bat. I mean it was bad. It was really bad. This CGI.
Speaker 2: It was pretty shocking because we had even CGI.
Speaker 1: Sorry green screen, it's.
Speaker 2: Not even c Yeah, no, it just was like it was pretty shocking, and also because such a big amount of it looked like they really were filming on a ship. It was kind of like why.
Speaker 1: So here's one of the things I was thinking of because I thought about this as I was watching the movie. When I would go on those those sub submarines with my dad, when my dad would let me walk on board, or the captain of that ship would take my dad and I on board, they would cover things on the ship like, you're not allowed to see this. This is classified. It's whatever. Whatever it is, whether it's certain armaments or there's panels on the ship, which I'm sure had to do with, whether it's radar systems or whatever. You civilians are not allowed to see this. This is either code word or higher but you can't see this. So I'm wondering if there are certain I'm sure not wondering. There had to been parts of the ship where they're like, you're not filming, can film here? Yeah, you know, we give you as much access as possible, but there's certain things you're just you can't set up a camera crew here. So I'm guessing there are certain parts of the ship where they're just like but then it was like it was like the ship.
Speaker 2: And where they were it looked like they were like off of just like a balcony, like it didn't look like they were necessarily like I could understand the actors also at being unsafe for them to be around like the actual planes or uh what were they, Well, I guess planes. The jets there were like in front of them, like there was like also a safety issue type thing, but like there were things where it looked like it was just like ocean in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only other thing I thought was size, Like again like if you're in his office, for instance, they do a lot of scenes in his office which are clearly green screen. That might be such a small area on the actual ship that they couldn't get a camera around to do the angles that they needed. So maybe they needed to build it bigger on a sound stage to then shoot it as an actual actual scene. But I don't know, because they're man there. It was just it was bad. They're clearly on a sound stage and it just it just didn't look good. Anyway, Joey does find his mom and they reunite in a very big way, just as Maddie's dad, Commander Gary Dolan, arrives. He's happy to see her, but as a second in command of the ship or the Exo, he has some serious work to do. They'll meet back up later. By the way, my dad was the same rank as the guy who runs the whole boat as the captain.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a lawyer, so not quite on ships. My dad was in the jag quart, but that was his rank. Cool Chuck. Danny's dad, who is in a marine back in his day, has found his bunk or his rack, that's what they call it. On the ocean below. Little Joey Maddie arrives and realizes she's bumped with chatty Tina, who is with her sister talking about the importance of enlisting. We have a real odd couple here, one girl who absolutely loves the idea of being there and another who resents being a navy brat. And though this is dichotomy seems to be great on paper, it's awful kind of never mentioned again. They announced the flight deck is open, and Tina grabs her new friend to check it out. And now we are no longer dependent on that brutal green screen where atop the aircraft carrier surrounded by fighter planes. Family members are very excited to tour the base, except for Anthony, who are already looks bored. Maddie is an incredibly good artist sketching the USS Arizona memorial. As they go by on the captain's bridge, Matti's dad is hard at work, ready to start the trek. They pull the anchor and start the engine and do whatever else ships need to do to depart. We get a small history lesson from Chuck the Dad, all about Pearl Harbor. He tells Matti and Tina about the morning our country was attacked and that eleven hundred crew members died in this very harbor. It is quote unquote a date that will live in infamy, is what he says. Servicemen and tigers together all salute the crash site as they pass. Now at sea, planes take off in an air power show where rescue tactics are on full display. Also, there's a kid's wreck room with tons of activity, including caricature drawings from Mattie. I love that word caricature. We get a glimpse of the kitchen with hundreds of meals being prepped with Danny's help, and on the mess deck his dad Chuck is reliving his glory days in the service. Little Joey is just thrilled to be eating saucer of ice cream, which they have this machine called the Dog, which nobody knows why it's called that. But it's just twenty four hours officer and Mattie and Tina are getting to know each other a little bit better Mora's friends. Mattie says she's never thought about joining the Navy because someday she'd like to have kids who aren't quote unquote brats. But then a cute lieutenant named Tom arrives to alert Maddie that her dad can now see her, and then Tina flirts with him. She loves a man in the uniform, which is fine. I get the younger kids seeing the older guy kind of flirting, but the way he looked back creeped the hell out of him, and I was like, please tell me this is not going to be part of the story. Am I wrong? Wasn't that just that it never happens again?
Speaker 2: Like you said, at first, it's like oh cute, yeah, of course, yeah, of course, like good looking guy, uniform whatever. But then he it's like, oh oh sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he like lingered and smiled, and I was like, dude, what walk Away fourteen? Yeah, Kay's super weird.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing, super weird.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm glad that didn't happen, and I'm sure it was just a take they used, but they used a weird take where it looked like this was going to go somewhere, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh my god, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: What is happening. So thank god that was the only time that happened. Was super weird. Tina joins Maddie on the command deck to visit the commander, and oddly, there is no introduction to the girl now glued to his daughter's side. Instead, Tina just goes off with hot Tom. We enter another really bad green screen, with Maddie being shown her dad's command station, where he normally can be found. They catch up, but it's obvious he doesn't know much about his daughter. She makes him feel guilty about how many times they had to move and the fact that she went to five different elementary schools. It goes without saying that their small talk is well, let's just say, very awkward. He knows our relationship is strained, so he wonders why she finally volunteered to join the Tiger Crews. Before she can answer, there's an announcement about a paper airplane contest, and Maddie scurries off, and in her rush, she left behind her sketchbook. Now over at this paper airplane festival, it is all out chaos. Kids trying to catch him, fly them, compete with them, and yet Anthony is still bored sitting by himself. He decides to walk off on his zone and bumps into a no hats area. Guys like, dude, you can't wear your hat out there, and it just aggravates him even more. Seems like he has a big chip on his shoulder. He ignores the warning and once outside, immediately, of course, loses his hat to the wind. That'll show him there's a reason we have rules, sir and boy. Just when you think you've seen the worst green screening, we're outside with Maddy and Tina, who spot the hatless Anthony dancing around with hard gusts of wind, and I was like, what is happening. He's having a lot of fun, but he's it's dangerous and he's like getting closer to the edge. It's unhinged, and then he trips and rolls off the aircraft carrier. The girls sprint after him, screaming for help. They assume he's falling into the ocean. But when they peer over the edge, they'd see that he's been caught by a safety net, which is like two feet wide. This is not like he could have jumped ten feet and still hit the net. No, one more role and that guy's dead. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And when you've been on any kind of ship, like I said, I've been on cruise ships, Like when you go to the edge of a cruise ship and you're so high up from the water, all you can think of is this is dangerous. Looks so dangerous. And I'm like, oh my gosh, where was the railing.
Speaker 1: Like what dude, Because most of the soldiers know not to jump up and let the wind jacket like you're in a wingsuit take you off the back of the boat. Oh so dangerous. Oh he thought it was cool, of course, which, Hey, that's what we do when we're kids. We do stupid, right, And then I'm like, hey, look happen now. Later in the day, the kids are playing foosball and table hockey in the game room when Maddie's dad spots her looking out over the sunset. He returns her sketchbook and was very impressed with her skills. Seeing a drawing of their dog made him miss home, and I swear to god, my head went when he's like, ah, man, I missed that. Mut I thought she was gonna be like, he's dead, like and you don't know that because you're not. It's where in my head right. I was like, he's about to say it. She's to say like, we had to put the dog down and you don't know.
Speaker 2: You know why because we know this is a true story about an actual very sad like we are ready for.
Speaker 1: We're prepared to be sad. Yes, And I was like, that's what she's gonna say.
Speaker 2: When he left, I thought, oh my god, he just got sucked under the thing. We're starting this off with a kid was awful.
Speaker 1: We're ready to we're really like bed.
Speaker 2: That everyone's up up for grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but oh god, I thought that's where she was going to go and he's gonna be like, I'm sorry, I didn't know that. But then yeah, oh thank god, jeez.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: She very emotionally asked him when he'll be home for good and he explains that this is his job. Now I imagine again, I say, my dad was in the Navy, he was in the reserve. He did have to go for the First Golf War. He was stationed in Italy for a while, but we never had to move around or do any of that stuff. And I know it can be a or. I have heard from other brats, and I don't say other I'm not a Navy rat by any stretch, but heard from Navy brats on those bases, how difficult it is where it's you're moving all the time, you have no connections the second. The thing you always heard was the second you made a friend, you're pulled out. And I just kept hearing that over and over again. So I've heard this could be difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like it's put on display on like TV shows of the same thing. That's why a lot of them are shown. Their characters that are Navy brats quote unquote are very distant. They don't like to make friends because it's just there's no second Yep, terrible, so hard.
Speaker 1: A tough life. Yeah, were you a Navy brat, Lisa Air Force? Okay, so same thing. How many bases did you go to when you were growing up? Exactly? Oh man, oh man, Wow, Yeah, that's yeah, it's got to be very very difficult. I couldn't I couldn't imagine three elementary schools, three middle schools and two high schools.
Speaker 2: Three middle schools, middle schools, like two or three years.
Speaker 1: That is tough, but it makes sense why you loved then things like Disney and because those are constants wherever he goes staples. Ye, so yeah, that makes TV was your friend. Yeah, oh god, it makes total sense. Wow. Yeah, because you can take that with you anywhere you go. Yeah. Very tough life. I've been I've been told. So. She obviously begs him to take a different job, but he explains that the Navy is his way of life and it comes with many, many sacrifices. Maddie argues that he's defending strangers and she's been made fun of at school for being quote unquote the new navy brat. He says after Friday he'll be home for a while, but she wants something permanent. The commander admits he doesn't know what to think, but he's willing to keep talking about it. It's now day two at sea, September tenth, two thousand and one. We're thrown right into the kitchen to witness the intense amount of cooking needed to feed the ship. Fifteen thousand meals every day, and Danny is one of the hard working cooks. His dad, Chuck is observing and again pitching that his uncle in the Pentagon can get his son in promotion, but Danny likes his job, so back off, Dad. Meanwhile, Joey has become addicted to the soft serf machine, which again he realizes why they call the dog because it just looks like hug poop, which is a terrible thing, but he thinks that yeah. Maddie and Tina are learning about the fighter planes from Grace, but are relegated to a faraway observation deck for when they take off, and this of course makes Tina mad because she loves the military and wants a real experience, but her sister isn't having it. It's not safe and these there's a reason there are rules like this on a ship. But Mattie thinks maybe her dad can get them even closer. So at the flight deck control center, Commander Gary is showing off a large map to the kids, dealing with Anthony's disinterest and explaining the importance of the ship. Eventually, the girls arrive and ask if they can be on the flight deck for the takeoffs. But even Gary calls it too dangerous and there are no exceptions. That is strike three. But guess who does have an idea? Anthony, that little.
Speaker 2: The one that almost died. Let's go with his lea. Let's guy's gonna take us.
Speaker 1: Oh, that guy seems to know what's up. And so as the air show is starting, Anthony's sneaks to the girls to a hidden, clearly not safe area on the deck after getting dressed up like they belong there, which is like a double yikes. The planes perform some impressive water bombings and flybys and other cool things that Tom Cruise doesn't top. Gun Anthony, Mattie, and Tina are in full flight attire right there on the runway. Tina is feevishly taking photos, but Maddie knows this is not a great idea. And then the kids are spotted by a soldier, so they sprint off and hide below deck, and right when we think the coast is clear, they of course get caught. Now in the captain's quarters, accompanied by their family members. They're being reprimanded and have been given a very final warning. If they fall out a line again, they will be confined to their rooms for the rest of the trip. Mattie's dad doesn't know how to discipline his daughter because he thinks this was just a way to get his attention. He lost a pilot seven weeks ago during a practice maneuver and they could have lost her and other people. Today, this is not a game. Anthony's brother is even angrier. He says it was his idea for the Tigers cruise and now he regrets it. He demands his little brother stay out of trouble for the rest of the trip, but their relationship is more on the rocks than have and rightfully so it is now time for the Tiger Cruz talent show, and I'd like to point out we're an hour in and there's still no nine to eleven. They're really building it up so and you're just kind of on edge waiting for it to happen. Some officers are kind of doing hip hop dance move for the Tigers, and Anthony apologizes to Tina and Maddie for getting them into trouble, so at least he knows that he did bad, but they all take the blame, and Maddie admits her dad's response was more disappointed than angry, and that kind of hurt her more than being yelled at. I think as kids, we all know what that means. Small note, Joey is still eating ice cream and making himself sick. Later that day, Maddie is checking out a crew photo taken for New Year's Eve on y two K and realizing that her dad was having a blast with his work family his real family was in a cheap motel at the same time. That hurts the hot Lieutenant Tom just keeps popping up, reminds her he just keeps hi. Tom just keeps hot. Tom keeps popping in and keeps reminding her that these cruises are lonely and dangerous, and her dad makes them bearable because he's actually quote unquote like a father to the soldiers, which act absolutely the wrong thing to say to his actual daughter.
Speaker 2: Read the room hot too hot, Tom, Like, come on, that was just like ouch. I mean I felt for her on the in this moment too, Like he was really.
Speaker 1: Being Tom deaf. Ha huh. I will show myself out. But yes, thank you over you take over from here. I'm out everybody like drop But yes, it's true. But the guilt still sends her back to her dad's command center. She apologizes for earlier and he explains it's all behind them now, but many of the things she said when she was angry are actually true. He knows he's basically a stranger who's missed out of much of her life. If he could, he'd go back in time to catch up. But he's in line to take over his own ship soon, the thing he's worked his entire life for. And if you know anything about the military, being in the command of a ship that size, it's there's like ten people that do that in the military, twenty people that do It's impossible and something you do work from the time you're like seventeen to do. So, yeah, this is a massively big step for him for the EXO to become the CEO. It takes thirty year. I mean it's like, yeah, it's huge.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine what it would be to be a family man as well. Oh, it's got to be a brutal job, brutal, brutal, brutal, But he.
Speaker 1: Says his family means the world to him, so he's not going to re up. He's coming home for good. He had a long talk with his wife the night before and that's when he was like okay, So he would have known if the dog was dead, so he talked. He talks to his wife all the time, so long talk with her. He's going to be coming home for good. Maddie is, of course thrilled, embracing him in yet another terrible green screen shot. But now the chiron read It's September eleventh, two thousand and one, day three at sea, and I assume those smiles are going to fade very soon. Maddie is awoken by a loud ship alarm at five pin fifteen in the morning. Planes are taking off and soldiers are running to their stations. Mattie sees her dad in the hall in full emergency mode. She sees Tina's sister, who's also too busy to respond. The control room is packed and working at full tilt with Commander Gary at the helm. And that's when the second plane hits the tower and you just if you were there, watched it anything, it brings you right back. We see our first footage of nine to eleven in a nearby TV, and Gary knows he has to inform the Tigers of what's going on. Back in the bunks, Maddie wakes up Tina just as all the tigers are asked to report to the forecastle, so all the kids and Chuck the dad, they feverishly pour out of the barracks. They know it's some sort of an emergency. The commander knows that the family members will be reaching out to make sure the ship and their tigers are safe, but the USS constellation is in a holding pattern. They don't know if they're staying in the United States or if they'll be sent on a mission. They have to get ready for battle any moment, which is hard to do with eight hundred civilians on board. It is unprecedented in the history of the Navy. Apparently crazy. The tigers have all congregated together, and Maddie attends to young Joey, who's totally freaking out rightfully, so Matti's dad speaks to the tigers, asking them to react as calmly as possible. He announces the airline hijackings and says the nation is on full alert. In real life at this time, no one had any idea at this point who was behind the attacks or if there'd be more. It was just an insane feeling. You had to have been there, and the people that were know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you remember where so you said you were a senior, what a senior in high school? Do you remember where you were when you heard.
Speaker 2: I was coming down the stairs when my parents were in our family room downstairs, and they never are they're always you know, walking around getting ready to like head out, and they were just in shock and watching the TV and the t like I said, the TV's never on, like, but they were watching the news and that was the first tower had been hit. And then it was like, oh my gosh. And so I still went to school, went into school. My first period happened to be my government slash econ and that the TVs were out, you know, the TV was out. We were just watching again. So I actually we watched the second tower get hit while in class, and it was just like everyone looking around going what the hell? Yeah, never again being being young, still never ever thinking our country could be under a tack like this, like like who would do that? Like you know what I mean, Like it was so unbelievable that, you know, it was a very scary moment, like oh my gosh. And then it was like what is next? And so being in that government class it was like, there's options now that these are and so it was a very like open talk. It wasn't obviously not planned anything like that. And I feel really lucky to have such a great teacher to like he handled all of our questions really well and gave us very honest answers. You know. So he had done some time in the military, and it was just like, there are big changes that are going to happen, and you guys, are you know this is this is something that going to change. It's never going to be the same again. And he called it to flying will not be the same going to the airport, nothing like that will ever be the way you guys have lived your life so far, And it was like whoa, you know, it just it was such a heavy day. Where were you were? You were out here in La or I was out here in La No.
Speaker 1: I was out here in La And I was living with my brother at the time. And he woke up a lot earlier than I did. And he so he woke me up early, early five thirty in the morning whatever it was, and said, you know, a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. I think we might be under it. Haack. And so we were then up and watching the TV as the second plane hit. And then as the second plane hit, we both knew. We were like, oh, this is this is a coordinated attack, right, and so it was. And then you just sit there at numb for the rest of the day. I mean, you also know, so my generation, we all remember where we were when the Challenger exploded because that was our moment of either you were in school or you were watching it with other kids, because they literally they wield a TV in because CHRISTA mccauliffe was the first a teacher that was going into space, so it was supposed to be a teaching moment. So we're all sitting there as kids. I was actually homesick that day, but my brother and I were watching. It was such a big thing. So everybody watched this live, and everybody remembers where they were at that time. And I instantly knew like, oh, for this generation, that's this. Yeah, everybody's going to remember. But the kids, the kids that are in eighty six when when christ mcauliff died and the all seven astronauts died. Of course I was ten, and so I knew. I was like, oh, this is that's this for this generation, and for the generation before that, it was when Kennedy was killed. So you all had those horrible markers in your life of you're going to remember where you were when and you knew it was this one, and this is one where it was like I knew instantly nothing was ever going to be saying, like country's different forever and it has been so Yeah. While the commander announces everything, you know, soldiers, crew members and the kids, especially Maddie, everybody of course tears up and starts to cry. He assures everyone they'll be safe, but his speech is interrupted by news that the Pentagon was also hit. He runs off to attend to this new development, leaving his daughter behind, of course, very scared. In the kitchen, Danny sees the newly destroyed Pentagon wing. His dad runs in. He can't believe that this ship may be going into battle, and his son is stuck making cookies. Danny defends his job again, but when loss of life is confirmed at the Pentagon, Chuck realizes his brother may actually be gone. Maddie is still watching the day unfold on TV when her dad finds out about the fourth down plane in Pennsylvania and that the White House has been evacuated. Anthony is also watching coverage of the destruction, terrified that his hometown of New York is under attack. Chuck the Dad is ready to bomb whoever he thinks is responsible, even without any evidence, but mostly he wants to know if his brother is safe at the Pentagon, but all communication to and from the ship is suspended until further notice. Chuck, get you do you? Apparently you isolate yourself. You are a moving island. You are completely isolated. The only thing coming in his messages, that's it from the higher ups. That's it. No messages out.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend is just she just married someone in the Navy and is now going through the process of understanding what it is like life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, he just got deployed for ten months, and it's like that's just like there's gonna be times where I won't talk to him for like weeks. I'm like, Oh, when Jordan goes on like a work trip and I don't hear it from him for like three hours, I'm freaking out, Like I'm like, what happened? You haven't responded to a text? And it's like I was in eating and I'm like, I can't imagine how hard it is for these families. I kept thinking this over and over during this movie, like it's.
Speaker 1: One of those things where, ye, you fall in love with a person and you're marrying a person, but you're also marrying a lifestyle. Yes, and it is a complete change of lifestyle. This is going to be like unless you've experienced it, it's like, which I have not to this extent in any way, Unless you've experienced it, you don't know what's up. I mean, Lisa would be able to tell you don't know what it's like unless you're right.
Speaker 2: The more you find out about it, for me and I hope everyone else, the more you have so much appreciation for the people that do take this on as a job, Like, oh my goodness, we are so lucky because it is huge sacrifices.
Speaker 1: They're doing this so we can be free and safe. That's why they're doing this, and they're it's insane. That's why whenever I hear anybody bashing the military, I'm like, you don't know, You do not know what these men and women go through. So yeah, it's uh yeah, there, it's a whole lifestyle that is one that Thank god they're there. That's all I can say yes, so Chuck gets loud. He needs to check on his brother, but Commander Gary gives him a final know and orders him to stand down. With all the Tiger activities canceled, he also minimizes the news coverage on the TVs so kids can watch movies instead. Smart he makes Maddie the liaison for the young Tigers, since he needs to keep updated on what he should be doing to keep everyone calm. Maddie is willing and ready to help, but Chuck will not give up about this one phone call. His brother was in the wing that was hit by the plane. He's completely breaking down. Matti's dad gets his brother's name and rank. He'll let Chuck know if he hears anything back with the Tigers. Maddie knows the scene is bleak. Some kids are obviously crying, and there's also boredom now mixed with fear. She quickly takes the lead and hugs the kids who need comforting. Commander Gary is told that all air traffic has been suspended, so even if he could get the eight hundred civilians back to San Diego, he couldn't get him home anyway. He asked Maddie to get all the kids to go to bed, but she tells him they're scared and they want to stay together in the mess hall. He appreciates her advice and gives them another half hour, and it looks like they're finally on the same page and working together. Before he leaves, though, she wants to know one thing. Is there anything he's not telling them? He says he doesn't know a lot of the facts, just so they must stay ready. She admits she's scared and starts crying herself. He holds her and tells her it's going to be fine, and before she can fully break down, she's called back by one of the little kids. She wipes her tears and gets back to her job. And it was a nice little moment of her being the captain, like she's the commander of the kids, and now I got to get back to work, and it was a very nice little moment. It's now September twelfth, day four, and they're just five hundred miles from San Diego. The ship is planning on rearming in two hours and the civilians must be below deck for the procedure. Mattie is back in the mess hall with the kids and she's drawing Anthony, who's still captivated by the footage. He can't look away. Other kids are angry that he's hogging the TV. They just want to watch a movie. Mattie steps in degrees the kids should watch a movie. Anthony storms off to the kitchen. Mattie eventually joins him at a new TV to give him her drawing. He says he's watching the coverage because he's from Staten Island. He saw the towers every day and his friend's parents worked in those buildings. He's also worried about his grandfather. He never thought the towers could just disappear. Life will be different from now on. Out at sea, an escort boat arrives with weapons, and Chuck notices the and Chuck notices the delivery. The Tigers are taking below deck to basically avoid seeing warheads, but Chuck tells the older tigers what he saw and scares everyone into believing they're all on their way to war. Maddie's dad explains that the ship always carries munitions. This is just in prep in case they have to go to battle. He needs everyone to stay calm and to take care of the kids. Commander Gary tells Maddi. They're on course to arrive in San Diego a day early, but they have to slip into the port unannounced because their whereabouts are secrets, so it won't be easy. Also, there won't be anyone there to meet them since the base is on lockdown. And then the worst news. He won't be returning home after all. He's returning to see because of what happens, his crew counts on him. He promises he will be home for now, he has a duty to complete. She kind of understands at this point, but still isn't happy about it. Chuck and Danny arrive to see if there's any news out of the Pentagon. Gary lets Chuck know his brother is missing, which of course is not a good sign. Chuck hugs his son and they start to cry together. Mattie joins Chuck out in the deck to say she's sorry about his little brother. He thought the Pentagon was the safest place on Earth. It makes him wonder what life will be like back on land. He asked Maddie to apologize to the commander for him. Her dad does a job that not many people would do, and Chuck would be too, and Chuck was being too aggressive with him earlier, but the truth is he feels safer with the commander on duty. Later on, Maddie is still looking out at sea, now drawing a distinguished portrait of her dad. She decides to take it to him, walking into the still buzzing control room, but there's Lieutenant hot Tom who cuts her off. It's not a good time, but the Tigers will be in San Diego soon. He compliments her dad. He compliments her dad, compliments her dad. He didn't it's weird. Okay, let me just change it. He compliments her dad on the incredible job on making all of this happen. She says she'll get him the drawing later and leave. Okay, I'm sorry, I want to rewrite this. He compliments her dad on the amazing job he did trying to get all the civilians home when nothing is essentially running in the country. She says she'll get him the drawing later, and she leaves him to do his work. In the kitchen, Maddie and Andy, Tina and Joey visit Danny, who's making cookies well and actually tons of muffins. As you can tell, he's keeping busy, so who doesn't have to think about his uncle. The Tigers all help him out, and Anthony finally gets to play some drums, and this is when we're all thinking about Sabrina, who knows that we don't like when they just start tapping on things and then a band forms. But this was this one was better than them, Like they were all doing different hodgepodge things. It wasn't like they made this amazing song and became a band. Really still not okay, Oh it wasn't.
Speaker 2: And I was just so happy that it was so short lived. Thank Godeous, because I'm going, oh god, we are going to do this. We're going to go into sing song format like they didn't go. But it's just with some banging there. We'll get into it with Sabrina seas okay, not your favorite.
Speaker 1: We know, not your favorite started to twitch. It was like I know, so they're banging on pots and pans. Eventually everyone joins in. They find some fun and laughs during a very dark time. Mattie realizes there must be something ever everyone on board can do to lighten the mood. And now it's September thirteenth, day five, and they're right off the coast of San Diego, Madison knows that Madison Maddie knows that all the Tiger activities were canceled, but she tells the captain she has an idea, and with that, everyone in the ship walks out to a humongous flag that takes up the entire aircre to a humongous flag that takes up the entire aircraft carrier, and they unfurl it for display. Once laid out, the kids run under it and play tag. Commander Gary watches on, proud of his daughter's leadership. They arrive in San Diego, and the commander speaks to everyone before they touch the ground. He talks about the core values of the Navy and how each of the Tigers have also shown that type of courage and selflessness over the past few days. He calls their actions exemplary and mentions the unfurling of the flag as an important moment for the crew. Now on land, Chuck and Danny say they're goodbyes. Danny's been given time off to deal with his uncle's death, but decides to stay with the crew and make sure they're fed. Chuck is finally really proud of them, saying, sailors got to eat our main tigers exchange phone numbers. They plan on keeping in touch. They'll need to stay with military families on base until their relatives rot, till their relatives are allowed to come and get them. Joey says goodbye to his mom and is still scared. They decide to get some ice cream before she has to return to the ship. Anthony says goodbye to his brother, finally showing some love, thanking him for everything. Tina salutes Grace and they also exchange one last hug, and finally, Matti gives her dad the portrait. He loves it and says he'll frame it when he gets home. She's scared, what if something else happens, What if they have to go to war. He promises they'll be ready, but admits everything is different now. He says he remembers his promise to return home, but now Mattie doesn't want him to quit. She thinks he should stay. She'll be okay. He gives her one last hug and asks her to stop growing so fast, and with that he returns to the ship. A passing soldier asks if the commander is her dad and wonders if she's a brat before answering She salutes her dad, then proudly says, Yep, I'm a brat. She smiles, and we see the huge flag unfurled one more time. And that is our movie, Sabrina. That was a journey. Can we do some real reviews? And I think I think this week I have the one star and this is from Nick the Trojan. The only thing funnier than this obvious propaganda, which makes up the bulk of the film is the fact that the Disney watching American public bought it, hook line and sinker. The film is a real dog, although I do leave it with the disconcerting urge to unfurl an enormous flag on my way to the recruitment office. One star from Nick, which is the new official name, Sabrina, What do you got?
Speaker 2: I've got the five star this week and it's mdw ob d.
Speaker 1: I think let's make it doctor woddu Okay, doctor here you go?
Speaker 2: All right? Not bad. Reminded me about nine to eleven, which is good because I was told to never forget it again.
Speaker 1: Right, five stars?
Speaker 2: All right? Kind of just wow, jerks, I just can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Ed. Can we have Sabrina's favorite portion of our program, which is our game that we play feature game every week, and this one is called Pull Rank. To honor the brave Navy scene in the film and making sacrifices every day for our country, we will be given different ranks. We're tasked with putting them in order. If we can correctly place them lowest to highest, we win. Here's how I'm gonna make it even worse for you, Sabrina O.
Speaker 2: Great, thanks, because this isn't going to be hard enough.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to play because I know the answers.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know the answer.
Speaker 1: So here's the list and we're going to see if you can put them in order. Who are we playing with today? I mean, I can do it, but I'd like to to make sure I'm right. Who are we playing with you?
Speaker 2: Mikhayela?
Speaker 1: All right, Mikaela, here we go. So Commander petty officer, first class, warren officer, fourth class, Vice admiral, chief petty officer, and captain. What do you got? What do you think? Let's start low to high, low to high. What's the lowest rank on that list? Commander petty officer, first class warrant officer, fourth vice admiral, Chief petty officer or captain?
Speaker 2: What's they all sound so like? I don't think as the name, but like some very cool Yes, they all sound so like.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what do you think is the lowest?
Speaker 2: I guess I'm gonna have to go with petty officer first class would be the lowest.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the MICHAELA? Is that correct? That's correct? Yeah? That is correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay?
Speaker 1: What is what is the next one?
Speaker 2: Chief? Petty officer? Then?
Speaker 1: Wowes correct?
Speaker 2: What would be third warrant officer?
Speaker 1: Four? Correct? What would be fifth?
Speaker 2: Captain?
Speaker 1: Not correct? What would be fifth?
Speaker 2: Vice admiral?
Speaker 1: What would be fifth commander? Correct? You're killing it? What would be six? Well?
Speaker 2: Now I don't know which one? Then okay, uh, I think it'd be vice admiral?
Speaker 1: What would be sixth?
Speaker 2: Is this the top one?
Speaker 1: No? No, you still got to get six? Six is captain?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Without it, without a single mistake. You got him all as far as I'm concerned, And your prize for winning is a Sabrina sees what do we got? All? Right?
Speaker 2: There we go? Okay, So really, all I had to say as far as nitpicking this apart the green screen was just it never it's awful. It was continuously just jarring the whole movie. I just couldn't couldn't, I couldn't take it. There was one part where it felt like there was a scene that was put in like out of order, like they redid it during like editing it for some reason. And it was she starts off in this yellow top and then there's a scene where she's like drawing caricatures of the like little kids, kids, and then she ends up back in that yellow top. So it seems like that was filmed but like not really meant to be where it was placed. It was like out of order, like she's just kind of drawing these characters, and I'm like, I wonder if it was later on in the movie, part of the original filming would have been. It would have made sense for it to be during the time where they're kind of trying to keep the kids busy and like off the TV, like after everything it happen.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They seem very very happy, Yeah, they were happy.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, it was just strange for her to be for it to be where it was. It was kind of throwing me off. The ninety or the two thousand's hair that was in this movie was pretty epic. I felt very well done. And then I had two things that I felt like there was zero reason to have in this movie. The talent show.
Speaker 1: Why Yeah. I think it was probably just to show what actually happens during these Tiger cruises, I imagine, but a talent show.
Speaker 2: Is one of them. It's like, hey, let's get the who everybody who knows how to break dance? That we're going to be entertaining. We're going to be entertaining the guests here.
Speaker 1: Really, I'll bet you that's exactly what it is. They say to everybody on all the crew members on the ship, where Hey, the Tiger cruise, we're going to have eight hundred kids can juggle? Yeah, exactly, who can juggle? Who can sing? Let's do? Because they you're on an island with five thousand people sometimes for months at a time. So I will bet you stuff like dance parties and and you know, comedy shows like yeah, let's do. I will bet you like who can you stand up? Who wants to do five minutes? I'll bet you that happens. I bet you that happens. I will guarantee it.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, all right, well then I stayed corrected. This one. I do not. There was absolutely no reason to be doing some banging and popping and all that stuff on the pots and the pants. It didn't need to happen. It made me feel like we were about to jump into a random I mean, after seeing the Random Talent Show, I'm like, oh God, now we're gonna just jump into some random music situation.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: But it was an idea of like the kids laughing and then them saying like, this is the first time I've actually laughed. And I do remember it going back to even though I was so separated from what was happening, I didn't have anyone that even lived in New York. I had never been to New York at that point, you know, of my life. Like there was just this moment where I feel like we were all kind of just like holding our breaths for so long, and then not long after, you know, or when the time came to feel like happiness again was so far, you know, from the devastation that you just felt like our entire country was going through. So it was somewhat although I know our listeners know how much I hate that kind of stuff. It was kind of ended up being like a nice moment because it was like these kids that were scared, and how scary it would be to be on this ship, right, like going for the crew too, like thinking about even just what we saw so much we were in the kitchen in this movie so often, and it being like how are we How long are we going to have these extra eight hundred people on the ship with us? How long do we have enough supplies for them to feed them as much as we're going to have to feed them for extra days or whatever?
Speaker 1: You know, just you also, I'm sure didn't know it. Are we fully underttacked? Is someone going to try to fly a plane into it?
Speaker 2: I mean? Right?
Speaker 1: You know what, like what is happen? Just nobody knew anything going on?
Speaker 2: Yes, especially to be a part like none of us civilians didn't know, but to actually be on a ship of going what is the next step? Where is this going from here on out? And just how again how terrifying that that time of it.
Speaker 1: And if you're a kid, you're nine or ten, and you see the adults freaking out, and you might be like, does this mean we're going to war? Like are they just going to turn the boat around and go off to fight somebody with us still on board. I mean just you wouldn't know, you didn't have the idea to know. So it was yeah, I can't I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: Very scary time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, well, thank you? Did you have more?
Speaker 2: That was it? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much. We now come to the portion of our program where we score our film, and that's score rate. Let's say rdar film. We're gonna do one out of ten, one being the least unlike what we're going to do from petty officer first class to Vice admiral. So one out of ten low to high. And here are options for the week. You want to do one at a ten terrible green screens, one out of ten Laura fries one and at ten Boba fet costumes. One at ten diarrhea mouths. Please don't pick that one. One and attend Anthony's in very small safety nets. Or one out of ten poop chocolates. Please don't pick that one either. Which one you want, I'll leave it up to you.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll have to do terrible green screens.
Speaker 1: Because it was so prevalent in the movie.
Speaker 2: It just kept happening. It just kept coming back and you wanted to forget it, because you know you wanted to forget it.
Speaker 1: I agree. I can't remember who which one of us goes first this week.
Speaker 2: I actually feel like you went first for because our last one was back on the board, So I feel like you did go first, right or did I.
Speaker 1: It's back on board. You did it again. I gave you. I gave you my the because I was saying it all the time. I gave you a case of the douz. I did you because that's the under my sabrinas seas.
Speaker 2: I've got that right under and I've got it written down.
Speaker 1: The full name is Johnny Cappajala Back on the Board that never took off that you can't buy anywhere else because nobody does land boarding or whatever it's called. Is the name is the name of that film. So then okay, yeah, if you go first, take it away, all right?
Speaker 2: Uh. I liked this movie. I again, this was the first for me to see it, and it was the first for me to feel like these you know, real based on real stories. I was actually a part of understanding what was happening in the world at the time, and I was nervous, but again as it came and went, it was It was a good watch, and it was something that I'm going, you know, when there's a ride age to kind of talk to Monroe about this would be a great movie for her to see a little bit more knowledge. You know. It doesn't go too far into it, but it goes into the eyes of a child going through a devastating situation and scary. But it wasn't overly scary. I don't think it would frighten her. I think it would just give her a lot of empathy of like seeing what it would have been like had she been around during this time. So that's how I'm watching this movie now as a mom, and I really liked it. I thought it was a great Disney once again did a great job showing us the eyes of a child going through a very hard situation. And I'm going to give it nine terrible green screen.
Speaker 1: I like that, which is hard terrible green screens.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say for nine of them, nine terrible green screens, because there's probably at least nine in this matter.
Speaker 1: More, I agree with everything you said. Look, I am unabashedly biased towards the Navy. I saw the pride my father had every time he put on his uniform and how much it meant to him to defend his country. I grew up with that same pride in my country. Do we have problems, of course, we have problems. I've talked about it before. This country is an idea, but it's the best idea that's ever been here for the history of humans, and we're working on it, and it's we're going to hate each other and we're going to love each other. And there are times where we hate each other so much, and then something like this day of two thousand and one happens and we come together and for a moment we all feel like we're in this together, and we look at each other differently, and we act differently towards one another. And there's people out there now that disagree with you and are always going to disagree with you, and it doesn't mean that your first response needs to be hatred towards them. The second we stop talking is the second you look for other ways to confront people. And if you stop using dialogue, you start using other things. And it's horrible. And it's days like this in the history of our country. That remind us that we're all in this together and we all want the same things. No matter what you think, we all want. I think it was Kennedy who said, we all want to breathe clean air, we all want to drink fresh water. We all want our children to have better lives than us. We all want the same things. Yes, we might disagree on how we get there. And that's what this country is about, is electing people who agree with you. And even if you disagree with the people that are elected, that's what the next election cycle is for, and that's how you speak, and that's what we need. And so again I am totally biased for movies like this. What the men and women who put their lives on the line every day for our freedom, for the things to do. So I really enjoyed watching this movie. Maybe it was propaganda based. Do people always say after they watch Top Gun, Oh, it's just recruiting fight er plive. Maybe maybe that's the side effect of films like this is more people want to go and sacrifice for their country. And you know, we saw the lives a little bit of the lives that these men and women live and the families they have to give up to go and make sure we're all free and so that I'm down for that all the time. As a film, of course, there are problems with it. The green screen is terrible. It's one of the worst green screens I've ever seen, And I just don't care because exactly what you said, this is Disney doing what Disney does, which is taking a very difficult subject matter making it palatable and not too scary for children, while not completely watering down what actually happened. Selma, Lord Selma, it wasn't we're going to give you a cookie cutter version of what happened. It was just what happened through the eyes of a child. And this, to me is when Disney is at their best, is when they do stuff like this. So I agree with you one hundred percent. I'm the only reason I'm digging at the one point is because of the film problems which were glaring, and there were a ton of them, and there were times it was slightly slow. I get it. I don't care. So I with you one hundred percent. Where I gave this nine terrible green screens, it is, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It's a great example of what Disney, I really love does is gives us an insight to a world that we would not necessarily know very much about, right, and being a family member of somebody who serves our country isn't something that everyone knows, you know, So it's it's a great way to open that question, open that topic, to ask questions, to look into, to research after you watch. I mean, I'm sure during this time, like people that kids were starting to ask more questions. You saw on the interstitials of the care of the actors on Disney Channel, opening the book, opening that page of asking questions and talking about family time. You know, during the as as our nation was mourning.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree with you one hundred percent. So just next time you're gonna have a conversation with somebody that you know completely disagrees with you, you have two completely opposing views of whatever, maybe have a ten minute conversation about something you agree with to start. It's a great place to begin, even if it's Hey, you you like vanilla ice cream, So do I start there and then maybe go from something that you disagree with, because again, we're all in this together, whether you like to think it or not. And one of the things that's going to keep us together is something like our next movie, because it's a big one. People. Yes, we're finally doing it. We're getting into something that to me sounds well vaguely sexual, A three quel that's right and might be the biggest one ever on the channel.
Speaker 2: You're watching, ready, because you just said all in this together choice and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Even realize it, my.
Speaker 2: Guys, and I'm just sitting there going, I can see Kayla, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Even realize I said it. But that's how perfect it is. Is. Yes, perfect. We are watching what I just like to call HSM three people, that's high school three. I'm sweet or whatever the kids are saying. Now there's words that I don't understand. Writer and Danielle try to take me. Yes, I don't know what it is, but you can buy Disney's now yet. MICHAELA and at List are now saying we've taken over my brain. I think that's true.
Speaker 2: You are in it officially.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can watch it early and prep for the recap because it's available to stream now on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course.
Speaker 1: But first, before we get there, we're going to dive into a very vital component of the classic dcom formula and that's the musical synergy. So many of these Disney films feature original songs, of course, performed by the actors in them or musicians signed to the Disney label, and a major avenue to get to these songs was one of Sabrina's favorite things ever. Radio Disney. Yes, Radio Disney so cool. I loved it myself. So we are going maybe not to listen to because I didn't listen to it, but I went on a bunch of times and it was cool. So we are gonna be talking to Robin Jones, the vice president of Programming at Radio Disney from what we like to call the Golden Yearsteen ninety six to two thousand and seven, she was instrumental in helping develop and break high school musical So yeah, obviously it was pretty awesome. We heard some great stories for her. Here's a little taste of what's to come.
Speaker 3: He said, I got this girl and he showed me her head shot or something and he said, I promise you know, she's Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter, Like, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: And he said, I think I have something.
Speaker 3: So that was when we really started to get stuff in advance, and really, you know, understand how we could work together.
Speaker 1: Man. That was cool. The only problem with the interview is she said some things that Sabrina is going to walk away, just like, Oh so I basically started the whole channel. Yeah, uh yeah. It seems Sabrina is a little more instrumental in some stuff than I even realized. But it makes perfect sense because Chetah girls kind of changed the whole ballgame. So you are going to love that interview, and you know, we really love getting kind of the deeper, behind the scenes stuff and she was there for all of it. So make sure to check out the park Opper episode later this week on Magical Rewind dedicated feed and for more info. Of course, you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Bye everybody, Ye