Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Saturday, October twenty fifth, Halloween is just days away, and we got a doozy of a horror movie for you. It's so good. It has a ninety plus percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and it made over three hundred million dollars at the box office. So no, you don't have to take our word for it. Number seven on our list is a hit. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robes. Is this this year? This movie came out this year? Yes, now that's I almost feel bad to include one because we seem like we're just caught up in the moment. But no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: And I actually wanted to make a distinction because we have said that this is called deep cuts our Halloween horror hit list, meaning it's not necessarily we are not going to the classics or the horror movies that everybody knows and loves, because it would be impossible, it would just the hoholeless would be filled with them and them alone. Yes, this was a blockbuster and a box office success. However, I hadn't seen any of these movies until the last few years. Because of you. You introduced me to this line of movies. And I don't know if I just had my head buried in the sand or if there's just been better promotion recently. But this was not a movie franchise chise that I had watched and loved and known growing up.
Speaker 1: And they're up to how many in the franchisees at six six, but they've kind of been spread out. But the movie we're talking about here now was just out this summer, Final Destination Bloodlines. It is the latest in a horror movie franchise that goes back for some reason, I think two thousand and one, but it has been around for decades and this installment pretty much brought the entire series, all the movies back home in a very very special way, including one very very special actor who has passed. But Final Destination Bloodlines. We ran out to the theaters to see this and it this is one I think it lived up No, A exceeded expectations. This was better than I.
Speaker 2: It absolutely exceeded expectations because we knew that it was probably going to be good. Look, this is a formulaic movie. You know what's going to happen, and then you know what's going to happen next. And that sounds like a horrible premise for a movie, and yet it delivers every time because they're creative and how they show the story that you know is going to unfold, you just don't know quite how it's going to And I think it actually makes it more challenging. I would only imagine to have to make it that good that you can still be wildly entertaining and on and still completely all expectations are met, Like there's there aren't a lot of.
Speaker 1: Surprises, even though it's full of surprises. We're about to explain that in about sixty seconds. We're gonna explain. But this movie was an hour fifty minutes long. It came out in May of twenty twenty five, rated R. It is a horror movie. Now hit them with the synopsis props.
Speaker 2: The newest chapter in New Line Cinema's bloody successful franchise takes audiences back to the very beginning of Death's Twisted Sense of Justice. Plagued by a violent, recurring nightmare, college student Stephanie heads back home to track down the one person who might be able to break the cycle and save her family from the grizzly demise that inevitably awaits them all.
Speaker 1: Now, if you are not familiar with the series that what does that tell you?
Speaker 2: Right, you don't really get it. You don't really know what's going on.
Speaker 1: So to help you get it, what we're talking about here, the whole premise of every single one of these movies is that there is a deadly accident of some kind that involved mass casualties. Wanda, there's a plane crash. In one, there was a bad accident, a nasty Nascar.
Speaker 2: Right, I remember that one.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: Roller coaster?
Speaker 1: The roll Oh my god, the roller coaster. So what happens every single one? At the beginning of the movie, you see this big disaster happen, and then you realize somebody's dreaming it. So then it takes place again in that person after having the premonition, says, ah, I gotta save everybody, and everybody says, oh, you're crazy. They save a couple people. And the idea is that now death, you were supposed to die, You cheated death, and death is coming back for you.
Speaker 2: And in the most unexpected, twisted ways, like mundane like, seemingly innocuous situations suddenly become violently deadly and they become hilariously deadly in that sense.
Speaker 1: That is the other big part. If anybody's followed the franchise, Creative Deaths is the hallmark of a Final Destination movie, and they get creative.
Speaker 2: To the point where you and I will be walking down the streets of Manhattan and a penny will fall out of someone's pocket and roll down to this and you're just all you're thinking is Final Destination because it's the simplest, like I said, most mundane thing that could happen suddenly triggers a series of events, like if you ever played the game mouse Trap that all of a sudden results in complete, bloody catastrophe. And a lot of times it does happen on a city street, you know, somewhere where anything could go wrong. There are there's equipment, there's cars, there's whatever all around you, other people and it, I mean, it's enjoyable.
Speaker 1: This movie is delicious. And we've mentioned at the top as well, this movie wasn't just a hit. It was a mega hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, three hundred and fifteen million dollars worldwide, one hundred and thirty eight million domestically, one hundred and seventy seven million internationally, and yes, Tony Todd is the star of the show, really a part of the entire series. So this was his his nod, his final goodbye. This was his final scene perhaps actually in life before his death.
Speaker 1: Before he passed. But probes you said he plays. He doesn't have a lot of line in any of the movies, but you can argue he plays the biggest role. And he is, without a doubt the star of the franchise because he's the only start the movie.
Speaker 2: That's so true, everybody else done. He's got heart in this one.
Speaker 1: This is he has a very very special scene. It's his closing scene, and I mean it will give you chills. You're gonna want to write down what he said and remember it because he makes a very special message given what we all know he was going through at the end of his life. It is really well done. It is It's.
Speaker 2: Perfect, so wonderful. Like I loved him in Candy Man and any horror movie lover is knows exactly how great that original movie was with Tony Todd as the candy Man, and so yes, just to see him. He's just a star in horror movies and it was awesome to see him be able to play this role the way he played it this one last time.
Speaker 1: But you know what they you know, I'm gonna leave it there. They did. They did write by him in this movie, in this script, this entire story. They do write by him. I applaud them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Tony Todd, Caitlin Santiwana, and Breck Basinger. They have familiar faces, they're young starlits and they all do a great job. Everyone here. I thought the acting was actually really really good. The act the directors Adam b Stein Zachlepowski directed these or this final one. And the Rotten Tomatoes score you mentioned it.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. It was a high for the critics ninety two. Wow, I was surprised.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the audience scored not that far behind eighty six percent. So this was beloved by all and the critics consensus sums it up pretty pretty well. Adding some surprising emotional layers onto the ghoulish bones of final Destinations mythology, Bloodlines ingeniously executes grizzly set pieces with precision and turns impending doom into outrageous fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they did it. I think this was the best job they did in all of the movies in making you look one way and then something else happens that you're not expecting, because they have all these little moments, these little edits where a glass breaks, you're like, ooh, that's gonna be it. Oh you hear a bottle pop, Wow, that's gonna be it. Watch out, and you never see it coming.
Speaker 2: It's so fun. And I'm even thinking the score, like the audio in this films, in these films actually plays such a role in the anticipation of what might end up being the undoing of a character. It's great. All right, here's some critic reviews. These were fun, I think really actually in the spirit of this movie, I almost I loved almost everything people wrote. This latest installment is one of the best in a consistently entertaining series. Everything from garden rakes and wind chimes to garbage compressors and intimate body piercings are weaponized in eye watering fashion. It's an absolute blast.
Speaker 1: Uh, it'll make you never stay alone in a tattoo parlor. That tattoo parlor scene.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was thinking of the MRI scene.
Speaker 1: Oh God, bless omragon. That's awful.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Oh, I'm remembering all the depths right now, Okay, here's another one. A good send off for Tony Todd and a fresh twist on the formula. Bloodlines takes the franchise in an unexpected direction, and it weirdly works weirdly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. They brought it all back together. I can't imagine that maybe somewhere down the line they'll do another one, but they really If you're a fan of this franchise, they completed this and put a beautiful bow on.
Speaker 2: It's funny you should me that because one of the reviews said this Final Destination Bloodlines might be trying to close the door on the franchise, but unintentionally it ends up giving it a fresh new life that could sustain more sequels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you kind of start this whole thing over, I'm in for it. If you just put Final Destination at the front of the we'll be there.
Speaker 2: I thought this last one from the critics was really good. It's this movie is everything intense, hilarious, nostalgic, and absolutely unrelenting. Whether you're a longtime follower or just ready to see why everyone's scared of log trucks, Bloodlines delivers the goods. I'll remember the one with the backup on the highway. I don't remember which one that was. I mean, they're all so good. We say we love this latest installment the most. But we assure you, if you were like me just a few years ago and had never watched these movies, go back and watch them all. They're awesome.
Speaker 1: They the formula is exactly the same, and you're going to see a few familiar faces in there along the way, with some actors who've been in some of these movies. You just start watching them, start with number one and go right through.
Speaker 2: We did that and it was so fun.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So this one is a long one from an audience review, but it was so well thought out I wanted to read it. It didn't just end with people being killed like pieces in a mechanical device. It successfully added real storytelling depth, turning death into something meaningful rather than just a form of consumption. The gradual build up toward each death was presented in a way that made it genuinely engaging to watch the protagonists. The other characters weren't there just to serve the plot. Their humanity was clearly portrayed. Overall, the script was solid. The storytelling was remarkably well executed, leaving no dull moments. It was a highly satisfying and excellent, excellently crafted piece of work.
Speaker 1: It was and I hate to say, like the most recent something is my favorite, and certainly in a franchise this story at least for horror movie fans, but it is. It's my favorite one in the It's well done. I mean you can tell it was different production value and whatnot in some of the other ones and earlier ones. This one is just.
Speaker 2: It's so good. Yes, well, the next audience review will back you up. This is definitely one of the best movies in the franchise and is an excellent send off for Tony Todt. I love this next one. I may have missed some of the middle ones of this series, but I felt like this one had a lot of the other feel of the OG movies. Great seeing candy Man say Goodbye worth a watch for that alone.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh my goodness, this scene, and I just applaud the writers and the director for making sure this was done that way. It was just beautiful.
Speaker 2: So rarely things are so it's so nice when you do see it.
Speaker 1: Happen and his voice, I mean his voice. Every time you hear it, usually in a horror movie, is you know it's dreadful. Yes, he's just given hominous news and it's just authoritative always, and he has that again in this one. But there was a different sweetness and a peace to him, a reminder how to live. Hit this guy. I'm telling you all this scene. What was he in there? Five minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But look everyone everyone in that movie is chasing death, right or running from death. Excuse me? I said that the absolute wrong way, running from death. And he also was doing the same in his life as he was living it. It was art imitating life. But his words of wisdom were about savoring the moment, and it was just cool in a movie about people trying to get another moment, trying to evade death's there is a life lesson. I don't necessarily like to watch to horror movies for that, but it's cool when there actually is a genuine one there, and he brought it home.
Speaker 1: We knew his personal story to see him. As soon as he gets on screen, you will stop what you're doing. You will tell anybody in the room to shut up. You're going to sit up. And listen to every word he says.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, And one final audience review, never watch it if you have a weak's stomach. But honestly a fantastic movie.
Speaker 1: Some of the death is over the top that they don't even seem gross or gooryous, like something a kid would row up.
Speaker 2: Even I yes, yes, you have to watch it to understand why death seems even grewsome ones can be funny. All right. When we come back, we'll talk about why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, what to pair it with, and a tease ahead to what's next. Welcome back to Amy and TJ and our Halloween horror hit list and number seven on our countdown to Halloween. Final Destination Bloodlines. It is the latest in the Final Destination series or franchise. It's the sixth installment and if you well, we recommend this highly. So if you watch it and you love it like we know you will, then we encourage you to go back and watch all of the movies in this series. They're all the same, follow the exact same premise, and yet each of them delivers something a little different and fun. And it's all I let you use the word delicious earlier. That really is a good way to describe it. I like a formulaic movie, you know it's I don't understand why you don't like rom comms. Then it's the same concept.
Speaker 1: Well no, no, no no, within the same franchisees ila like formula Like James Bond movies. It starts with an action sequence and.
Speaker 2: It got it. Yes, Okay, okay, I'm gonna keep trying. All right. Here's why Final Destinations Bloodlines made our list. We obviously love the series, as we were just saying, but even bigger fans of Tony Todd so as a lot of at least two movie reviewers, said it's worth it for that alone, just to watch his scene and to see his send off. It is phenomenal. But there is so much heart to this and so much fun gore to it. And it's just I loved anticipating all the creative ways the characters were gonna die. That was fun, you know what.
Speaker 1: I got invested in a few characters as well. I kind of did.
Speaker 2: It's fun to root for people who are probably gonna die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, I can't say it enough. If you have watched the franchise, this is the perfect button. If you're a fan of the franchise, you've probably seen this already, yes, but we're talking to you folks maybe who are looking for a movie. This will make perfect sense to you to have to see all the others. And it's just it's a fun ride. That will it will almost make you like you're in on it. You know this is not gonna happen. You know that death, all these that coincidents of that coincidence. Of course, it's never gonna happen.
Speaker 2: But when you start to find yourself in different scenarios, driving over a bridge and something, I'm telling you, you start thinking of Final Destination, it does stay with you. It might not scare you in the moment, but I'm telling you you will think about it. You think about it throughout your life. And it's funny because in terms of its popularity, neither one of my daughters had heard of it. They didn't know about the franchise. I think the name didn't sound scary, so they were.
Speaker 1: Kind of like Final Destiny.
Speaker 2: I think it sounded like an action movie. It's funny. They just weren't interested. So that's I think another reason why we wanted to put it on the list in case anyone was hesitating or thinking that it was silly, stupid, or more action oriented. This is a horror movie that is for horror movie fans.
Speaker 1: This is why I was a big deal. The last one that came out, the one before that was thirteen years prior, so that was such a huge gap in between the movies. There was kind of an excitement of this coming out. But the first one was in two thousand and three, and you said, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was two thousand. Oh wow, I thought I saw one.
Speaker 1: Oh sure that was Final Deascination the three years later. No, No, it was ahead. You're one hundred percent right. Yes, two thousand was the first one and the second was three years later. But so we are. They all did pretty well. Forty million, forty six million, fifty four million, fifty four million, sixty six million.
Speaker 2: I think maybe I don't know why I didn't. It just wasn't on my radar. I think I thought of it as like a guy's movie, like an action movie. I didn't think of it as a horror movie that I would like. So it's cool to kind of be reintroduced to something that has been around for a while. So That's another reason why I think a lot of people listening might not have taken the time to watch this. So who is it for? You? Know who you are. If you love to watch creative death scenes and you like the concept of the movie that we just laid out, obviously you're gonna love it. This is for you. Who it's not for.
Speaker 1: You gotta have a little bit of a twisted sense of humor almost to watch this and to understand and to appreciate because it, Yes, creative deaths are made funny. You remember the girl in the street, just the image in your head right actually running see you see everybody she's laughing. Just by me mentioning a scene.
Speaker 2: I actually want to go back right now and start watching File and Destination no the first one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Just start like we've already rewatched them, but I would do it again. That's how fun these movies are. And then yeah, and I think also if you're somebody who and there was some of this on the reviews who are complaining about the predictability of it, Okay, the fact that everyone who is who cheated death is probably going.
Speaker 1: To die, Well, yeah, the first five movies went that way, correct, So.
Speaker 2: It's funny that people are like, can you mix it up? Like, you know, they don't like that. They already know what's going to happen. They already know the outcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's question the people who've been successful enough to get five previous movies out of it.
Speaker 2: Ye, yes, I hear you, all right, So what to pair this with? So here is I can tell you probably more what not to pair it with than what to pair it with. But I would avoid pizza or any kind of stew. Just there's a lot of gruesome deaths, and like those kinds of foods might not texture wise feel good when you're watching some of this stuff, you see, I would what else you got? And so then I was thinking, just like popcorn, salty snacks like pretzels, just keep it kind of crunchy and salty and that'll help a little bit if you feel a little queasy. Yeah, but keep the drinks fun and flowing. That's I mean, I think that's one of the number one suggested suggested pairings I would give it is just keep the drinks fun and flowing and without ice.
Speaker 1: There's a and maybe you could do a little like backyard barbecue type stuff. There is a there's a very wonderful backyard barbecue cookout scene, and you know it might make you want to not have ice in your drink.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 1: That some fun stuff, and you won't want to do yard work.
Speaker 2: Oh no, a ard work. No, that's you know what. That's a good thing to watch on a weekend night because then you can just say, yeah, I just I'm I'm triggered. I'm triggered by lawn work. I don't think I can do it this weekend. All right, So where can we watch this movie? Amazing?
Speaker 1: I got the name rate they've officially switched back to HBO Max.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yes, it's HBO Max now.
Speaker 1: The artists or the app formerly known as max Max.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's now HBO Max. So that is where you can watch it and our next episode. This would be number six on our list. Wow, we're really getting there. This is from the makers of one of the other movies on our list. It's one of the scariest movies we've seen over the past few years, to the point where I mean I have a hard time. I have to look away and I already know the scenes. I have to look away because it is just entirely too much. This is intense, it is scary, and and it involves the supernatural in a way I have not seen it play out. It is and there's just brilliant acting.
Speaker 1: On that point. First, if there was another potential Oscar worthy performance, it was from the lead in this way, all.
Speaker 2: Right, And with that, everyone, we hope you'll stay tuned for our number six. But in the meantime, thank you for listening to us. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ.
Speaker 1: Holmes.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you soon.