Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: I hope you had a great weekend. Everybody, gang's all here ready to go. Probably the least productive week out of the year because you got to fill out your brackets and then you got to watch the games, and well, who wants to show up and work? And even if you show up for work, you still want to watch college bounsketball. We'll talk to Jay Billis a little later on Bruce Pearl CBS. He said quite a week or two. He'll join us, coming up in about fifteen minutes from now. Your phone call is always welcome, especially on Monday. Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Operator Tyler sitting by at eight seven to seven three DP show stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America official trading card of the program. Good morning, those watching on Peacock or the NBC Sports Network First Hour brought to you by ze Kleiner revolutionary recliner designed by Flex Steel, and we use them all the time. And it's not surprising if I see a backroom guy falling asleep, not during the show, but after the show Healthy Life starts with a healthy night's sleep. Visit zkliner dot com slash dan Patrick today to find z Kleiner at a store near you. Play of the eight pole question, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming Team USA over the Dominican and Republic last night to advance to the finals coming up on Tuesday night. All righty, A lot of things to talk about with the tournament. I don't know if too many people or alumni are upset if their school didn't make it. Now you could say Oklahoma or Auburn, Stanford, like, you start to look at some of these schools and you say, well are we going to get in? If we get in, where are we going to be? Saint John's a five seed, And in fact, Rick Bettino said, yeah, it kind of figured. You know, we did beat Connecticut, we blew out Connecticut, but we had these other losses. Here's something that you're might not be aware of. These are the Power four teams that didn't make a bowl game. They're men's or women's basketball teams did not make the NCAA tournament. There's one, two, three, four or five. There's six schools you didn't make a bowl game, which is really hard to do. Your football team didn't make a bowl game, and your men's and women's basketball teams didn't make the tournament. Auburn, Boston College, Florida State, Mississippi State, Rutgers, and Stanford. So you're going zero for three your football team, your men's and women's basketball teams. You didn't play in a bowl game and didn't make the tournament. And I guess I was a little surprised with Stanford because they're the only team with twenty or more wins overall and five or more wins against Quad one opponents. But Stanford did not make the tournament. A lot of talk about Miami of Ohio and they're going to have a home game. It's going to be in Dayton, the play in game, and we'll talk to Bruce Pearl. I don't know where he is now with Miami Ohio if he's all in on them. They did make the tournament, and his school, Auburn, his last school where his son took over for him. Auburn did not make it, but they were like seventeen and sixteen, and I know, tough schedule, but I don't think too many people are going they should have been making the tournament there, but we'll talk to Bruce and Auburn does not make the tournament. The current longest active streaks playing in the NCAA Tournament, I mean, Michigan State has been there twenty eight consecutive years, Gonzaga twenty seven, and then it dips down to Purdue at eleven, Houston, Tennessee eight, Kansas at seven. All right, see what's poll question for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 3: Well, should we start with Bruce Pearl? Oh, that's a hot topic, Okay, Bruce Pearl is more upset about dot.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's upset about Miami, Ohio. I think he's upset that Auburn didn't get in and coached by his son.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, I'm wondering if he's more upset that Auburn didn't get in or his son didn't get in.
Speaker 2: Oh I would say that his son didn't get in. Yeah, I don't think so, right, Yeah, yeah, Now I don't. I think he's still paid by Auburn. I think he's on their payroll. I saw a story. I don't know if CBS like how often should you say that or should they have said that? Leading up to the tournament just because whatever he is saying. Now, Jay Billis is going to join us. And I know everybody says that he is pro Duke. He went to Duke. He probably tries his best to be objective. Bruce Pearl's not being objective. Bruce is basically saying, Hey, I coached at Auburn, my son coaches at Auburn. We play in the SEC, and if Miami Ohio played in the SEC, they wouldn't have, you know, seventeen wins like Auburn. And okay, it's a fair point, but they don't play in the SEC. Not everybody can play in the SEC. And I can't use that as you know, hey you didn't play in the SEC. Now if you want to do that for football, we can do it. Although has the SEC become a basketball conference.
Speaker 4: On a Monday?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know I had somebody with the NC DOUBLEA bringing that up, kind of having fun with it, and I go, maybe maybe Yeaeston, I think.
Speaker 3: Everybody has a bias when they're up there. You know, everybody is a little steered towards their alma mater, you know, I mean, is Jay wright On still on Villanova's payroll?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure he is.
Speaker 3: He's not up there advocating for Villanova every day, and he's not up there saying like, ah, my son needs to be in this tournament. He's not doing any of that, but he's still getting paid by Villanova.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So if we're going to be upset about people having a bias, then nobody's going to be allowed to be up there. Really, but just tell me that you're you're being paid by the school. If you're being paid by Auburn, then I think just let us know I got it.
Speaker 2: I think you got to have full transparency with something like that. I mean, Jay Billis doesn't hide that he went to Duke and I know there. You know, there are other broadcasters. Jim Jackson doesn't hide that he went to Ohio State. But I mean, it's difficult to do. I did this a long long time ago. But I did this because I have to have neutrality here. I have to be unbiased or the best that I can possibly be. Therefore, I'm not rooting for the Cincinnati Reds or Cincinnati Bengals. I'm rooting for the best story. But it's different. You know, Bruce Pearl's not rooting for the best stories rooting for his son and Auburn. I'm just rooting for Hey, if Miami Ohio gets in and actually wins a game, or Auburn had got in and played Miami Ohio, which would have been wonderful. Yeah, Paulie, So.
Speaker 5: Bruce Pearl criticized Miami Ohio last year last week while they were still undefeated, and they got a lot of headlines. Yeah, but Miami of Ohio's loss in the first run of the conference almost bore out what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how good Miami Ohio is, but they're undefeated. Should they play a better non conference? Well, I don't know how many schools wanted to play them. Or it's a home and home and you know that's tricky there. But you know, you're playing thirty one games. You got to have a couple of quad one games there or win a couple of those games. By the way, does everybody know what quad one means? In quad two and quad three and quado because this is the week that you act like you know what you're talking about. Filling out your brackets here, Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 5: Okay, Quadrant one, as the old school people call it, quad one is the highest quality of wins and losses used by the selection committee to evaluate tournament resumes based on net rankings. Another thing we know little about net ranking.
Speaker 2: So Saint John's gets a five seed after winning the Big East over Yukon. Saint John's is fifteenth in the net rankings and just won the Big East regular season and tournament title, and they've won their last six The part the last part there. I always think that your seeding is based on what you've done in the last month, and if I and if I incorporate that, I'm surprised Saint John's ended up with a five seed because you end up winning the regular season and the postseason in the Big East and you've won six in a row. Here is Saint John's head coach Rick Patino, Well, I thought we'd.
Speaker 4: Be a fifth seed.
Speaker 6: A couple of guys in my set thought it was possible to be a four seed. But they don't take into account how you're playing at the end of the year. Days like a ten years ago, it counted the last ten games of the season is what they really looked at. They don't do that anymore. It's all metrics from the first game to the last game. The last game doesn't mean any more than the first first game you play in because the Big East was really weak from a net standpoint, Like we lost to Providence, who I think is a damn good basketball team. They were a Quad three loss for us, So we got to get the Big East stronger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to know what you've done in the last month of the season. If we want you playing your best at the best time of the year, the most important time of the year, it should be based or at least leaning in favor of what you do in the last five weeks of the season. And Saint John's beating Connecticut the way they did, I thought that they'd be a little bit higher. The other seed, Vandy, is a five seed. They have beaten three Quad one teams in the past week, Tennessee twice, and then blew out number one Florida and they end up with a five seed. I was surprised at that as well. But for the most part, you know, you're just kind of surveying the landscape heres. I always look for who is playing close to home. That's what I want to know. Gonzaga is going to be in Portland for the first two games, you know, just that helps. I go back to when Syracuse was playing in Albany, back when they you know, had Carmelo and they won the national title. Like those kind of things, you know, those are sneaky where you go, wait a minute, here at old home court advantage. Kind of yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: The worst thing ever. If I was Michigan State or Iowa stay in twenty fourteen, I would have been on fire. Yukon was the seventh seed in the East Region. The East Regional finals were at the Garden. So wait, it's just a Metro North train ride from Connecticut to New York and where the seven seed. I would have been furious.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get phone calls coming up best and worst to the weekend. Once you saw that you liked, you didn't like any other poll questions. We that's pretty pacific. The Bruce Pearl pull question, it really works an hour one.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that this one's maybe a little more has a little more, some more legs. No major snubs in the NCAA Tournament this year is a good thing or bad thing.
Speaker 2: I would say a bad thing because I kind of like when somebody's complaining a little bit. Although it's hard to complain when they're sixty eight teams, but you kind of like somebody who you know got jobbed a little. I mean, Stanford got jobbed in my opinion, if I'm looking at resumes here and I was, you know, somebody who used to work on the committee said, if you can do a blind taste test, like that's the true example of that team should be in and that team should not. Instead we attach the head coach of the school itself, the history of that basketball program. And sometimes it's not fair to those schools who don't get in. But when you get to sixty eight, it's kind of hard to complain. But I do like somebody who you want to say, hey, pipe down over there, like Bruce Pearl and Auburn, pipe down over there, Bruce yes Ton.
Speaker 8: I was just checking the University of Missouri, which is in Columbia that's not too far from Saint Louis. They get to play Saint Louis, which is kind of weak against Miami.
Speaker 2: Florida plays in Tampa. Missouri will play Friday in Saint Louis, and uh, that feels like a little bit of an advantage, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Saint Louis actually has like an incredible draw for local fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have.
Speaker 3: Like uh like Iowa State, Purdue, Uh, Missouri, I forget who else. There's a couple of teams there where it's like, dang, like this is gonna be awesome. That's going to be all of these places. They all travel really well and they don't have to travel all that far. Uh Kentucky I think is in that region.
Speaker 2: Entucky's in there. Yeah, speaking of Kentucky, John Caliperi, Rick Patino obviously at different schools, but watching Arkansas with Calo Perry and that's a fun team. That's one of those where you kind of keep watching and then you realize they're a really good team and they might have the second best player in this tournament. Marvin your thoughts.
Speaker 7: There's Acums one of those guys where it's like I wish I would have watched them all season long because now I'm looking at him like, man, maybe I should have paid attention to Arkansas basketball because he wasn't he was a five star recruit now, but he wasn't Cambuser or Debanza from BYU. But cal part said he's the best point guard he's ever coached. I was like, dang, you had Derrick Rose.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 7: I said, So that's saying a lot for this kid.
Speaker 2: And it was a kind of a slow burn because we were focusing on some of these other freshmen and all of a sudden, he's one of those guys where you're watching a game to watch somebody else play and then you go, oh my god, like this kid, he is great.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know there's a lot of great freshmen, but I think there's a lot of fifth year seniors on Saint John's. Those guys look like grown men. It's an all beard team.
Speaker 2: There are certain teams where you go how old are you? And it's really commonplace. I mean Purdue, how long have they been there? Just feels like, you know, you're in your seventh year. Grown men out there. But yeah, watching some of these teams when they come out on the floor and I go, you know, and then they'll say, you know, Jimmy Lipper started here, and then he transferred here, and then he spent a year here and then this, so he's got four schools in the last four years. We'll talk to Billis about this. Also nil with basketball as opposed to football, NIL and football gave us Indiana football. Can we get some big surprise in college basketball anymore? There's only a certain amount of money that they're spending, might be ten to fifteen million dollars, where football they're spending forty million dollars, if not more. But trying to get that feel good story or that story that you didn't expect. We get that in the beginning of the tournament, but it feels like it's going to be the usual suspects. You got. Let me see, I'm trying to think you got Michigan, you got Duke. Trying to get my odds here. I thought I had it here somewhere. I need a secretary here to help me. Oh here there, yeah there, I got them right here. They are there. So Duke, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Houston, Iowa State, Illinois, Yukon. So aside from Iowa State and Illinois, these are pretty much the blue bloods. Illinois has been a good story and Iowa State all season long, and Yukon in there. But the best odds to win Duke plus three hundred, followed by Michigan. Then my Arizona Wildcats, Florida, the defending national champs, then it goes to Houston, Iowa, State, Illinois, and Connecticut. We'll get to your phone calls coming up eight seven seven three DP show when we return. CBS sports analyst former Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Hey, this is Jason McIntyre. Join me every weekday morning on my podcast, Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre. This isn't your typical sports pod pushing the same tired narratives down your.
Speaker 10: Throat every day.
Speaker 9: Straight Fire gives you honest opinions on all the biggest sports headlines, accurate stats to help you win big at the sportsbook, and.
Speaker 2: All the best guests.
Speaker 9: Do yourself a favor and listen to Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcas.
Speaker 2: Guests got through the first twenty minutes of the show didn't even mention the Academy Awards last night. I told you Sean Penn was going to win. I just didn't know that he was going to win and not show up. But we'll recap that. By the way, Kevin Frasier and Michelle Turner from entertainment tonight, we'll join us a little bit later on. We'll get to your phone calls as we always do every Monday, best and Worst of the weekend. He's Bruce Pearl, Turner and CBS Sports college basketball analysts, three time National Coach of the Year. And in case you didn't know, former Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl, what's bothering you today? Coach?
Speaker 4: No, life's good, Dan's great to see you.
Speaker 10: My heartbreaks or my son, but you know what, you got a chance to win your way in or lose your way out, and Auburn probably was just one more win away from dancing.
Speaker 2: How would you rate your week or the last ten days or two weeks, let's say, as an analyst.
Speaker 4: That's a great question.
Speaker 10: Did I was a basketball coach head coach for thirty years and been in basketball for forty eight years, and so this analyst thing and being in the media's brand new. So I am a rookie at that, even though I'm sixty six years old now. And sometimes you don't know how you're doing. I mean, when I used to play, or I used to coach, there was a scoreboard. I get off and I'm like, I don't know. I don't know how I did. I imagine some people think I'm entertaining. I would imagine something of people think I'm an idiot. But you never know whether you're winning and losing.
Speaker 2: But does somebody tell you, I mean, you got headlines. I don't know if you feel like that's part of your job.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think it's part of my job.
Speaker 10: I think my job is to tell you what I think based on my years of experience, and I've never, as you know, Dad, I've never been politically correct, so I really don't worry about that stuff. And what I did learn, though, is sometimes when you do you give your opinion about something you know, you can be it can be taken out of context, or you can be taking a task. And I really don't mind either one of them.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm the ugly stepmother.
Speaker 10: Because I asked the question, are we looking for the thirty seven best teams or the thirty seven most deserving teams? When it came to a large and so that because we became enemy number one again.
Speaker 2: Okay, how much of the story of Miami Ohio help them get into the tournament.
Speaker 10: I'd say about ninety five percent. And that's time. There is a human element that exists in that room, and it should exist. You don't just go by the metrics. You just don't come by the numbers of math. You gotta have a little bit of a field. And so as said, I said this from the very beginning, I would put them in the field. I would put them in the field. If you want to tell me, do they qualify based on these metrics? The answer is absolutely not. And it's interesting Dan. Last night I asked the when I was on CBS, I asked Chairman Gill, I said, okay, last two in first to out, what were the metric except you know it was sort of the defining factor for you. You know that that's a fair question, right, yeah, And he said, he said, quality wins. Quality wins was he said, I said, And I did not follow up out of respects. And you know, these are things we can talk about the next day. Mayama, Ohio doesn't have.
Speaker 4: A quality win.
Speaker 10: Oklahoma and Auburn, who are the last teams left out, have a half a dozen quality wins each and so it's I think it's sort of just added to the drama a little bit. But look, I'm happy they're in. They deserve to be in the field. It's what the Cinderellas.
Speaker 4: Are all about.
Speaker 10: And so I think we need a sort of adjust the metrics so we get more of these mid major teams in a tournament.
Speaker 4: But the way it's set up right now, you've got to make an exception.
Speaker 2: I thought Stanford had a better argument than Oklahoma and Auburn coach tell me why, well would they have five quad one victories? They had twenty plus wins. I mean, just start there and feel like a pretty good resume.
Speaker 10: I agree, No, it was a good resime and one of these I've said all along, and I don't think anybody got screwed here.
Speaker 4: Nobody got screwed. I don't think it was anybody. Oh my god, how.
Speaker 10: Did this team get in or not get in? You can make an argument Stanford, you can make an argument.
Speaker 4: For They said to me, if VCU didn't win.
Speaker 10: Their tournament, they were going to be out, and I would have made an argument for VCU. The argument for Auburn was they played seventeen quad one games seventeen. I don't know how played one quad two. I mean, it's very difficult when you talk about apples and oranges. Auburn beat Saint John's, who was the biggest champion. They beat Florida at Florida it was the SEC regular season champion. They beat Arkansas by twenty who was the SEC tournament champion. So when it came to quality wins, I thought that that was something that could have pushed them over the top. They have the number four straight the schedule. I'm not sure where Stanford's was, And a lot of that has to do with intense.
Speaker 2: Can you look at Auburn objectively.
Speaker 4: Yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 10: Can Like, I think it's okay that Auburn and Oklahoma, for example, aren't the field.
Speaker 4: I think it's okay they should.
Speaker 10: Have won one more game, and so there's nobody complaining about it. But I pride myself on telling you what I really think. Was I rooting for my son? Of course I was rooting for my son. People say, well, you got your son the job. No, I didn't get my son the job. My son played for me. My son was an assistant for me for eleven years. He's the associated coach, he was the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: Did I help him? Absolutely? I did? As a dad, of course I did.
Speaker 2: But you look at are you paid by Auburn?
Speaker 10: You know what, I'm in an ambassador's position. And not many Jewish guys who walk away from thirty million dollars, but this one did. And you know who does that. My wife was like, honey, why couldn't you just stink for a couple of years, let him fire you and pay you ten million dollar was to do what you're doing now?
Speaker 4: But no, you go ahead and quit. Leave all that on the table.
Speaker 10: Yeah no, Dan, I I objectivity for me not an issue.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I don't know if you have to disclose that that, Hey, I'm still paid as an ambassador for Auburn. If it felt like you were kind of dinging Miami, Ohio because Auburn was going to be on the bubble. So that's the appearance, okay, that's that's how a lot of people look. So the appearance of that the optics didn't look good.
Speaker 10: Well, that's that's fair, and it certainly as a former Auburn basketball cook, what former coach or former athlete.
Speaker 4: Charles Barkley roots for Auburn. He does. But Charles Barkley's always going to keep it real and and.
Speaker 2: But he was paid at Auburn, not after Auburn.
Speaker 4: That's enough.
Speaker 11: Hey, hey, listen, what if if I wasn't able to be objective, I wouldn't continue to be an Aubered It's it's sort of a uh, it's sort of.
Speaker 4: The best of both worlds.
Speaker 10: I would give that up in a heartbeat if it if optics became such an issue that I couldn't be an analyst. You know, Jay Wright works worked at Villanova for all those years, he still worked there and nobody questioned whether not Jay Wright would have been objective?
Speaker 2: Are you retired as a coach?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 10: I thought about coming. I thought about it. I got a few phone calls even this year. But then I head Cooks for thirty years and it was enough. We had a great run. And I do want to do some other things, as you know.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm a.
Speaker 10: Huge advocate for for this country. I want to coach America. I'm a being a Jewish American. I work really hard to bring Jews and Christians and Muslims together. Abraham is a father of all nations. As a coach, I loved it bring people together. Religion divides us and separates us. And of course I love my country and I also live my ancestral home on Israel. So those are the areas that I'm working in right now. And I think that in many ways I had the success I had in to give me this platform I am. I want Jewish Americans to be this country's greatest patriots because this country saved us from the Holocaust and gave us this opportunity, and we hopefully make the most of it.
Speaker 4: That comes with a responsibility.
Speaker 2: Talking to Bruce Pearl, CBS Sports college basketball analyst, former Auburn head coach, best pro prospect in the tournament is who aj Debantsta.
Speaker 10: I think both on and off the court, Dan, if you're going to invest in somebody that is going to be your number one pick and you want to build your franchise around that, I think the stuff both on and off the court, work ethic. Although this year is a great draft, it'll be the best freshman in the history of the NBA Draft. This year it is it is talented top, it's very very deep. I don't think you can go wrong. I love uh Uh. I love several other players in there. I love Boozer.
Speaker 4: Uh. Peterson is an incredible talent. Caleb Wilson is amazing.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: The point guards a cure, Yeah.
Speaker 10: A cuff is Uh is a great, great story, Kingston Fleming.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely, absolutely loaded. And that's why all these.
Speaker 10: NBA teams are tanking because they want to they want to improve their position in the draft.
Speaker 2: When you see Patino still doing it, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Amazing? Amazing?
Speaker 2: How does he have the energy though, Bruce, it feels like that's what leaves you first.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, everybody ages differently. I think it's I think my guess is it's it's it's just it's it's his. His family and basketball are his two major passionate interests.
Speaker 4: A little bit of horse racing. Dan, he was the best I ever went up against. He he knew what.
Speaker 10: I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. He knew how to take it away. He's not getting older, He's getting better. Tom Izzo is the same way. I mean, Tom Isou is getting better. If it's it's hard to believe he has got uh, he has got good teams that he makes.
Speaker 4: He makes in the great teams.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and so uh I got Patino and Saint John's making a little bit of run this year. In my bracket, I think there. I think, uh Zubi edge of four is terrific. They guard really really well and and and they're starting to shoot the basketball better.
Speaker 2: How many teams can win it?
Speaker 10: I think, uh, there's certainly everybody that's on the one line can win it. I think Saint John's as a five. How to Saint John's. How are they a five? I mean that's just like they're a three seed in my house. How can you come be a two and Saint John's be a five? I know it's the body to work, and Saint John's wasn't playing great early in the season.
Speaker 4: I'd say there's seven or eight teams I think that will win it. I think it's gonna be a lot of chalk.
Speaker 2: Well. You know, and we talk to different people about this that it used to be the last ten games of your schedule meant the most going into the tournament, and I don't think that's the case now. They look at your body of work. I don't care what you did in October or November. I care what you're doing now and Saint John's. You win the regular season, you win the Biggiaest Tournament, you won what's six in a row, you blow out Yukon. I got a factor that in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Dan, let me give you one something to think about. I agree how you're playing lately is more important. But the schedule because people are more interested in late February and early March. You notice how the best teams play against the best teams like crazy.
Speaker 4: That's because there.
Speaker 10: Are more eyeballs on college basketball after college football are over. So the last ten I don't think is a great metrics just because of the toughness of the schedule for the best teams. I mean, if you're on you know, so that would be just an issue. That's that's why I would not lean in that direction.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, keep stirring up.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you, brother, Thank you always.
Speaker 2: That's Bruce Pearl, former Coach of the Year and now working for CBS and Turner. If you're waiting for him to apologize and ain't athlete, just letting you know it's not happening, all right, Best and worst of the weekend. Buddha leads this off. Buddha in San Francisco.
Speaker 12: What up, DP, Happy Monday boys, Let's go fritzy Dan. What a great week in the sports I mean college hues peekin, Bruce Pearl crying about his son, WBC Baseball step calling himself out and his brother is the Rehab Brothers hilarious.
Speaker 13: Man be'st of the weekend, DP. It was amazing to watch the players Championship at the TPC Sawgrass Venue.
Speaker 4: I mean it was It was riveting.
Speaker 13: I mean, the little big overt meldown was like watching a mere mortal at the local Muni and Cameron Young hanging in there and just hyping the longest drive of the tournament on hole eighteen.
Speaker 12: Under pressure was just sick.
Speaker 4: Props to him.
Speaker 13: He seems like a good ass dude and besterered in. I'm keeping a positive team USA and the WBC.
Speaker 12: Last night was super fun.
Speaker 13: I mean, these games are filled with passion, talent, competitive matchups and have been a joy to watch and watching Will Smith frame that like that last pace last night at the end of the game, I definitely chandered my inner like Jim Baeham, I was like.
Speaker 2: Man, thank you Buddha, Uh, that was a bad call. That was a bad call, and for some reason we all thought that maybe they were using the automated balls and strikes. Paulie said he was watching the game tap in his head like, hey, you got to review that, and then realize they're not reviewing that. Yeah, paul I just assumed.
Speaker 5: It was in the biggest tournament in the world. I was pausing my celebration, like, well, there's got to be replay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the DR wishes there would have been a replay. Here is the last strike, the last call.
Speaker 1: Two to one, US Rondriguez dancing at third, the three to two again.
Speaker 2: Right play the US it dams.
Speaker 1: Is Perdomo can't believe that the pitch was below the zone. But the US has defeated the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: They win tonight two to one, and they are having the finals.
Speaker 4: To take on the winner of Italy.
Speaker 2: And Venezuela tomorrow night. Okay, still a bad call, and certainly in that moment, although you know, once we do the automated balls and strikes, could you imagine that's the World Series. Let's say it's Game seven, bottom of the ninth and you got the tying run at third and all of a sudden you strike out, but then you go wait, wait, wait wait, and you tap your helmet and then they have to review it. It might take away a little bit of the drama of that. You know, last strike, you're running on the field, you're celebrating. It's like no, no, no, wait wait wait, hold on, I thought you know, Japan losing was a big surprise. That was a big surprise. And Italy is not going away. Played well, they beat Puerto Rico. There were some tears in the back Mary the eyes and ears and the tears of the Dan Patrick show. Yes, yeah he is Mopi Dick. He was all weepy. Yeah. And then Anthony Anthony is back there with Mario Is. You know he's Italian. So those two are having a hard time sitting next to each other today. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Pauli the Japan manager, he resigned after the loss.
Speaker 2: O man called it the career. Was he forced to resign? Appears that he chose to resign. Air quotes All right, how about we take a break. More phone calls coming up, best and worst of the weekend. Jay Billis will join us coming up next hour. Fritzy says he's stuck at an airport, so uh see if you can find a place in the lounge there to join us, We'll come back with our play of the day after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen lived of the Day the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 2: Be inbound of Power up the right sideline against Simmons. Power will rise up right week three for the time.
Speaker 14: Got it long second lef in bound bullet closing up off the back of the we will go over time.
Speaker 2: Oh what a game. Penn making its first NCAA tournament appearance since twenty eighteen. At your Play of the Day, brought to you by Liberty Mutual. Why pay full price when you can customize and save. Switch to Liberty Mutual. They'll customize your auto and home insurance so you only pay for what you need. I didn't watch the Academy Awards. I was watching a lot of the college basketball selection shows and the analysis that follows after it, and then I realized that the show was on, and they usually hand out like a best supporting right away, usually early, and then they make you late, wait till late to get the Best Picture, Best Actor, And I did mention this last week. I didn't know if there was going to be sort of a Timothy Chalomet fatigue going on, but held it. Michael Jordan, Michael B. Jordan ends up winning. I don't think anybody's surprised there. I thought he was wonderful in that role.
Speaker 3: Yes, not only did Timothy Shalla may not win, but I think Marty Supreme went over eight. I don't think they They were nominated in a lot of categories and didn't win any of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Paul Thomas Anderson finally TA Yeah, Pta.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually met him when I was doing QB Halloween with Sandler and uh because Maya Rudolph was in the movie, and he was there on set. And my son was like, you know, when he found out that Pta is there on set, He's like, Dad, could you get a picture with PGA? I said, Pta, because Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm like, okay, easy Scorsese, big deal. Yeah. So I got a picture and send it to my son. He goes, how was he?
Speaker 4: How was he?
Speaker 2: I go, ah, he was okay. I don't know if he knew who I was, but I got a picture with PTA and then he ended up getting his Academy Award. Yes, Paul is the name.
Speaker 5: Michael Jordan the most successful name on earth, the basketball player considered probably the best of all time worldwide. Now Michael B. Jordan, which he was saddled with that name early, is now best actor and cruising in his career.
Speaker 2: Kimbll, was he named after Michael Jordan? I know his dad is Michael A. Jordan, right, which I find it awesome, So he's not the second. So if Michael Michael B. Jordan, does he have Michael C. Jordan? If he has a son, I'm guessing Michael A. Michael B. Michael C. Academy Award. Good for him. Sinners was nominated for sixteen Awards. I think I think it won four. Maybe, but yes, yes, Tom.
Speaker 8: Everything I'm reading would suggest he was not named after the basketball player.
Speaker 4: It's what you said.
Speaker 8: Michael A. Jordan then became Michael B.
Speaker 4: Jordan.
Speaker 2: Okay, his dad was before Michael Jordan. I'm guessing, so maybe he's Michael A. Jordan. Did he add the A because of Michael Jordan? Checking Yeah, I don't know, but yeah, Sewan Penn. I thought when I saw the movie, I said right away, it wasn't even over, and I said to my wife, I said, he's gonna win the Academy Award. How do you know that? I said, he just is and he wins. Is that his third Academy Award?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what I see.
Speaker 8: Sean Penn, that's his third.
Speaker 2: So that puts him up with Nicholson, Tom Hanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Sean Penn has two Best Actors Mystic River and Milk and one Best Supporting for Last Night One Battle after another?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, how much pressure if you're Michael B. Jordan after coming after Michael A. Jordan to name your child Michael C.
Speaker 2: Jordan, Yeah, I think I say it's signify done. I mean you have to, yeah, Michael C. Yeah, I hope, right, Yeah, I hope, so if you could. Okay, Harrison Ford Tom Cruise neither's won an Academy Award. I think Cruise was nominated. Was he nominated for Born on the fourth of July? Okay? Was he a Best Supporting Actor? I thought he got nominated for one other award.
Speaker 3: Tom Cruise has an Honorary Academy.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that ain't it. No, Sorry, yeah, I'm not taking an honorary sports Emmy. Yes, Todd to your factor in.
Speaker 8: Foro whose career would you want that he supposedly brought back movies and saved the industry after COVID.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I'm the only one who said that. I think feel that way. Yeah, okay, But you can be Harrison Ford or you could be Tom Cruise.
Speaker 8: I think I'm gonna go Harrison Ford, especially because of Star Wars being such a huge deal. I know, the Mission.
Speaker 2: Impossible is in Indiana Jones. Yeah, that's attractive.
Speaker 3: That's he's He's in the two of the three biggest or two of the biggest trilogies of all time.
Speaker 2: Who are you gonna be seating Harrison Ford to Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a lot that comes with being Tom Cruise that I'm not really interested in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be really good.
Speaker 3: At what I do and then be randomly anonymous, and then you know, people like the big hubbub is like he's got an earring? How old is he to wear an earring? I would rather deal with that kind of heat than you know, Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: But just just the film ography not anything else. Just the films that you've been in, not the money that you've made, just the films you've been in.
Speaker 7: Marvin Harrison Ford is in The Fugitive Some taking Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd The Raiders.
Speaker 8: Are the Lost Arc movies. I just I think it's definitely Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: And it feels like both play themselves in all of their movies, right, I mean Harrison Ford, it didn't feel like he ventured too far from being Harrison Ford. Tom at least had you know, Tropic Thunder where he was great in that movie. Yeh see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he had to put on like a big fat suit to do that. That doesn't really count. Yeah, but for him, that's his DeNiro moment. He was very good in it. He was He was really a lot of fun. I think that a lot of the like air quote great actors that we have now kind of all play themselves. Like, does George Clooney ever really that different?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: I mean even Denzel. I love Denzel, He's never really that different. He's either the good guy Denzel or the bad guy Denzel. But it's basically still Denzel. I mean all of the actors now, but of a certain age. Maybe are all kind of that scene DeNiro Pacino, They're always them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Paul Harrison Ford had Witness. Blade Runner is a classic back in the day. Yeah, and he's more variety for Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: I think Witness is a great movie. He was great. John book Man.
Speaker 3: I thought about that bathroom scene every time I ever went into a public bathroom, I was always like, are their teeth in there?
Speaker 2: Patriot Games for Harrison Fuck, I was in that. I went to that bathroom when I got into the Philadelphia train station, just to go in there. Yeah. And the silo scene with Danny Glover. That silo scene is crazy. That's a crazy movie. No, I know, Killed by Grain not common. Kelly McGillis was in there. She was great. Oh, very amis shot. J Billis. Make that segue, J billis, He'll join us coming up from I think the Nashville Airport. He's stuck. He's stuck with us. Our two on the way after this