Speaker 1: Well, welcome to the Sean Hannity Show. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Our two.
Speaker 1: We got a great guest to kick things off in Congressman Brandon Gill. Just want to say thanks. I'm Jason Chaffits again filling in for Sean. Is a little bit under the weather, but hey, we'll get him back back in the saddle soon. Honored that he would ask me to do this. It's truly a privilege. A lot of people want to do it very if you get to and again, thanks Sean for letting.
Speaker 3: Me do it.
Speaker 1: But we got a lot of stuff going on. We got a lot of craziness in the world. I'd like to say, there's always somebody doing something stupid somewhere. Plus just got a lot of flat out news happening here and right in the middle of it, really making a name for himself to cutt and slice and dice and asking the questions that I think most Americans want to have answered, is none other than Brandon Gill.
Speaker 2: Congressman. Thanks so much for joining.
Speaker 4: Us, Jason, Thanks for having me. It's good to be here.
Speaker 1: No, hey, look, you and I have had a chance to visit off air number of times. Super impressed with what you do and how you do it, And there's, like I said, there's so much to stray, you know, craziness and stuff going on. There's some simple, basic things that seem to me to be things that should be easy no brainers with their eighty ninety percent issues, even with Democrats, they're wildly popular. But somehow, some way, things aren't moving. And namely, I'm I'm pointing at the Save America Act. What what is going on there? How do we get this over the finish line to the President's desk.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I agree with you. I mean, this is something that the vast majority of Americans, including Democrats outside of Washington, DC, support and think is incredibly important in their right to think that, and it's something that the President has talked a lot about ensuring that our elections are done with in tech, that illegal aliens are not voting, that only American citizens are voting in American elections. I think it's particularly important after four years of Joe Biden. Remember, we passed the Save America Act out of the House multiple times and it's been hung up in the Senate, and there's all kinds of sort of excuses for that. You hear the Senate give as to why they can't get it done, and it comes down to, I think, ultimately, their unwillingness to utilize what's called a talking filibuster, which would be the procedural vehicle or the procedural route to get the Save America Act passed. There's been a ton of resistance over there, but that's the way they can do it, and so far they've been they've simply refused.
Speaker 1: That's what's so infuriating. You know, when they have time to go on recess, when they have time for the Easter break, when they did, when they have time for the fourth of July and everything else. As I said earlier in the show, I don't understand. And look, I served there. I was there eight plus years. I was chairman of the Oversight Committee. I understand how it works, and I also understand that pressure on the United States Senate. They have to vote, and if they don't pass it, then have the majority leader bring it up again. I mean, let's see how many times we can get these people to actually vote on it. Instead, we always get these lame excuses about well, it's the calendar and it takes time, and it's like well, really, I mean Mike Lee, Senator Mike Lee, your colleague there for the Senate in you know, the senator from Utah. He put out the great graphic and it was it was the calendar for the year, and it showed how many days off the Senate is going to take. And if they think they're going to go into August break and the fourth of July break and everything else without doing this, I think Americans and particularly the Republican base is just it's just infuriating.
Speaker 4: In their right to be infuriated. I mean, the Senate just is going to be out of DC for the next three weeks. If the primary argument against using the talking filibusters that you don't have enough floor time, then come here, work weekends, work nights, don't go home for three weeks, work through August recess. I mean you have to step back and think how important is this legislation. It's very important to the American people, and I think they're exactly right. And if the Senate realizes that, if they recognize how important that is, which they don't seem to or they at least don't seem to care, then I think they would say we ought to be back here in DC working and getting this thing done. I mean, I think this is the single most important piece of legislation the Senate could be working on right now. But ultimately, you know it from the outside, I think most people are looking at the Senate and they're saying, you know, it's one big, good old boys club, and you're not in it. Because it is so I think difficult for most people to understand why the Senate doesn't under doesn't get the urgency of passing the Save America Act whenever they have the ability to do it right now with the talking Philip Ustern to your point, Mike Lee has laid out this case very clearly, very eloquently for a long time to the other Senators so they understand what this process would look like. They just simply don't want to do it. And that's why the President has been so frustrated about this, and and frankly, I've been extremely frustrated. Most of my colleagues in the House have been extremely frustrated with this. But you know, the Senate, the Senate is going to start losing a lot of legitimacy if they don't get this done. You hear a lot of Senators talking about, you know, the value of the institution. We need to preserve the Senate is an institution, which means maintain this arcane rule, the syllab the way they've been using it currently. And the reality is they're going to erode the legitimacy of the institution by not passing key legislation like this.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing with something that's so simple, so widely popular, and no rule change. That's my point is, like Senator Lee is not asking for any rule changes. Explain to people just briefly. I know they've gone been through this a talking filibuster, versus it was news to me. Like when I got to Congress they were telling me about the hot line.
Speaker 2: I'm like, the hotline? What is the hot line?
Speaker 1: Well over in the Senate, if they want to pass something on of unanimous consent, they'll.
Speaker 2: Just literally call over to each office.
Speaker 1: You got any objection out of this, otherwise we're going to pass it with unanimous consent.
Speaker 2: They didn't even have to go to the floor to do it.
Speaker 1: And so the idea that they actually senators have to actually go to the floor and speak, like mister Smith goes to Washington explain how this would work under Senator Lee's idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really simple, and you know, you can think about it this way. If the Senate wants to be the deliberative body, then they ought to actually deliberate legislations. But in order legislation to get to the President's desk, you know, you need a simple majority in the House, and then the Senate has to pass a bill. And there are two stages to get a bill out of the Senate into the President's desk. The first stage is the debate stage, and then the second stage is the actual voting on the underlying legislation. Whenever you hear about the sixty vote threshold that gets talked about all the time to get around the filibuster, that's for the debate stage. Whenever you get over to the second stage, you only need a simple majority in order to go from the first to the second stage. You can either have sixty senators vote for cloture to move it over to close debate, go and go to phase two, or the Senate can actually go The senators can actually go to the Senate's floor and run the clo by debating legislation actively on the Senate floor and each senator can can speak twice, they can speak for as long as they want so they can fill the buster. But ultimately, I mean, you can only speak for so long on the Senate floor each time before you're going to collapse. I mean you only speak for you know, ten twenty, I don't know how long they want to go, but ultimately, at some point that clock is going to run out. And that's what we're saying. Let's make the senators actually debate this and once that clock runs out, then you move over to the second stage. In other words, you can either do that sixty vote threshold or you can just debate the process, debate the legislation until the clock runs out. And that's the way where you can pass legislation with a simple majority. And that's what we're asking. And you know, remember during that process on a bill like this, I think it would be great if Democrats went to the Senate floor and spent twenty hours each explaining to the American people why a basic citizenship requirement is a bad idea whenever you're registering to vote. I think we will win that debate, but it's certainly the way to get this passed. And that's what we're.
Speaker 1: Asking for Yeah, it's not asking for too much have to. I mean, I got a National Parks Pass, you know, because we had a lot of National parks in Utah, five of them as a matter of fact. So I went to Zion National Park. This is like literally like last week or two weeks ago, and I go there and you have to check in and show my National Parks Pass. And then the ranger says, oh, I need to see your ID. And I said, wait a second, I have a National Parks Pass. It was downloaded on my phone by you know, because I could get it on my phone. It's like, you know, one of those things you put in your wallet. And they said, oh, no, no, no, we need to verify that it's you by showing your valid driver's license.
Speaker 2: And I thought, I'm just trying to.
Speaker 1: Go walk on a trail in Zion National Park and you got to see my ID. But for voting, Oh my goodness, the world would fall apart. You'd be so discriminatory. Well are we being discriminatory on people not being able to use our national parks? I mean the arguments are absurd, and you're right forced to debate this. All right, let's move on because we're talking with Congressman Brandon Gill, who's one of the best. You know, I used to chair the Oversight Committee. But you, my friend, are doing some amazing things. Walk us through what these witnesses that you kind of exposed, if you will, on SNAP benefits, because oh my goodness, the benefits, the waste of the fraud, the abuse. You do a masterful job of exposingness.
Speaker 4: Well today I appreciate that. Today we had a hearing on the Doge Step Committee. It was on waste, fraud and abuse and SNAP. SNAP is the supplemental nutrition program food stands is what it really is, and what I wanted to better understand from one of the witnesses is some of the things that SNAP is used for that includes junk food and sugary sodas. So ially asked the witness today, could you, you know, tell me what SNAP means that supplemental nutritional program and assistance program. So just ask her what is the nutritional value of sugary sodas? And she didn't have much of an answer. Obviously she didn't want to answer it because there is no nutritional value to Coca Cola or any other sugary soda. But I think it raises the obvious question of should our tax dollars be funding sodas be funding people to get basically free cokes? And the answer I think most people would say is obviously not. But the Democrat witness didn't want to say that. And you know, it's really incredible whenever you asked just straight forward questions like that, does this benefit the American people? Does this make the American people more healthy? Is it good for American nutrition? The answer is obviously no, So why should we be paying for this stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh it's listen.
Speaker 1: You're doing a masterful job there asking this simple, obvious question, what is the nutritional value? We love it. Keep it up, you're doing great work. Congressman Brandon Gill really truly appreciate you joining the show today and thank you. And I want to remind everybody you can dial one eight hundred nine four one seven three two six nine one seven three two six nine four one sean and we'll take some questions after this break.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 1: We're going to take some calls the number one eight hundred ninety four one sean. That's one eight hundred ninety four one seven three two six and let's kick things off by going to Richard online four. Richard, I believe you're in Texas, So what's your.
Speaker 5: Question, Yes, sir, Yeah, I would just like to ask Congressman Gil. There's been a lot of discussion lately. I was just curious that the possibility exists for jd. Vance if he was willing to take control of the Senate, and how soon so that we can number one, of course, get the fayback passed, and secondly, be able to finally get the president's agenda through a push for codification of all of his business he's taken care of thus far, and be able to get his appointees all confirmed. Is that a possibility or is that just out there? I think Adams did it before, if I remember correctly. But I just would like to know if that is a possibility.
Speaker 1: The way you structure that, like Congressman Gil is off the line and out of the building here. So, but I used to serve me Congress. I used to be a chairman of the Oversight Committee. I think I can answer this question. I wasn't in the Senate, so somebody may I may stand corrected. But the role of the vice president as the president of the Senate can Actually his powers are limited in essentially being the tie breaking vote. It's not as if he can take over the Senate any sort of ouster would, I believe, require the majority of the majority in order to do that. Basically you become the leader or you become the Speaker when the majority then votes you into that position. So if they want to vote somebody out of that, there needs to be somebody else and then the body would vote on it. You saw these things play out in the House, but over in the Senate again, I just don't think that's necessarily going to happen. It depends how much pressure. But it's not as simple as jd Vance ousting Thun and then being able to pass and push the legislation forward like that. I think there is a great deal of frustration. A lot of things that have gone well, but a lot of things with the President's agenda, the lack of bills passing, and certainly the Same America Act just hasn't happened.
Speaker 5: Jason is just so maddening, you know, because and where you know, even fellas I have historical support, like like tender Cruz and others, where are they whenever you're in the outrage on not getting aid of this stuff done, and of course with Congress in general, just getting things codified. You know, they just don't seem almost useless, you know, because I mean they take off more. Yeah, and they actually work and this, if there's.
Speaker 1: This, if they're not all bad, some are good. Richard, We're going into break, but I already remind people to call in eight hundred ninety four one Sean eight hundred nine four one seven three two six. We're gonna take more calls coming up after the break. Stay with us with John Hannity.
Speaker 3: Check out the show twenty four to seven. Download it to your iPod.
Speaker 4: Bea Hannity insider at hannity dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Jason Chief. It's filling in for Sean Hannity today and thanks for joining us. We're gonna take some calls. So the number it's an easy one. Eight hundred nine four one Sewan eight hundred nine four one seven three two six.
Speaker 2: You do that.
Speaker 1: You can spell Sean S E A N. So we want to get to some calls. We're going to first go to Delaware Line one. Patsy, Patsy, what's your question?
Speaker 6: Hello? I just wanted to call on President Trump to exercise his powers under Article two, Section three of the United States Constitution and drag these senators and congressmen back into session and make them do their job until it's done. With all due respect, I'm one of the eighty plus percent of people that are completely disgusted and set up that these congressmen just go on vacation every time they feel like it. And just one more thing, speaking as your average American worker, if my replacement isn't at work, I just can't get up and leave because I feel like it. If the bus isn't running, if the patients aren't being taken care of, if the manufacturing plant isn't moving, I can't just walk out.
Speaker 2: Is that Patsy?
Speaker 1: I think, Patsy, I think you reflect the frustration that people from coast to coasts are feeling.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I can tell you, having served in in the United States Congress, most of them are good people. They work hard, they work smart. But it's an incumbent upon the leadership. That's why they're called leaders to be able to say no, this is more important than that, and this is what we're going to have to do. I think what's infuriating to so many people, is they get these recesses. They're about to go on a three week recess. Now, I guarantee you many of these senators have what are called codels. A Congressional delegation trip is what that show is short for a codel. They will be traveling all over the world. Now, in part, that's their job, but it's not more important than the Save America Act. And the other thing is I expressed frustration earlier leadership.
Speaker 6: Is if willing, they're unable to do what it has to do. Then again, I'm asking President Trump because I know he will do it, and that's what we want. We want our representatives in their office doing the people's work.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: And there's so much of the agenda, so many of the appointments, so many of the things. I was glad to see the President delay the signing on the whatever that Affordable Housing Act or whatever it was, delayed the signing of it and say no, no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: He pushed that aside and said no, we need this Save America Act. He couldn't have been more clear. And I think everybody, there's so many people, millions, by the tens of millions stepped up and created this wave that Donald Trump and the Republicans got it and guarantee you almost every single I can't think of another one who would go and say, oh, i'm i'm I am here to support the president. I am supporting his agenda. He's the president. But what's the argument against it? That's the people that are holding out, that are Republicans. What's their argument against it. That's that's what's so mystifying. So Patsy, I appreciate it. Thank you for the call.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: The number eight hundred nine for one sean ninety four, one, seven, three, two, six, eight hundred numbers. So let's go to Sherry in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 7: I uh downloaded from the state of California. The requirements to vote, and to say they are shocking.
Speaker 4: Is an understatement.
Speaker 7: It basically says, if you don't have a driver's license, then you don't have the last four of your Social Security number.
Speaker 8: California will issue.
Speaker 7: Their own unique identification number to you.
Speaker 8: And to register to vote, you check a box, you pinky promise that I swear I'm a citizen.
Speaker 7: But the best part is at the very bottom of it.
Speaker 8: It says that you cannot use your voter registration card to prove your US citizen for other programs. That's a hell of a kicker, if you ask me, I think all these senators should download these requirements in these blue states.
Speaker 7: And bring those with them and say how is this legal?
Speaker 8: There's no other than you promising checking that little box. I swear I'm a citizen.
Speaker 7: That's it. Who's following up on it, who's checking it?
Speaker 8: Anybody?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jerry, I think it's a system that is brought with it is fraud ridden because there is no trust. There is no verification process. You can go in get your driver's license and not do that. Remember, as I recall these states, some of them like California and others are allowing police officers to become police officers again not even necessarily citizens of the country. You could run for public office, not at the federal level, but you can run for local political office like a school board and not be a citizen of the United States. It's absurd. It is absolutely absurd. Again to Save America Act. There's a reason why voter identification is an eighty plus percent issue, and I a shame on those states that offer driver's licenses. They did it to say, oh, we're supposed to give driver's license because then they'll get insurance, and if they get insurance, then the roads will be safer and everything.
Speaker 4: Everything.
Speaker 1: It's it's an incentive, that's what's offered. It's an incentive to be here illegally, and it is a benefit that they're giving to people illegally, and I think it's wrong. So Sherry, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing that, and I do appreciate it. All right, let's go to the next one again, the number one Sean eight hundred ninety four one sean, and we're going to VICKI, who's in Utah.
Speaker 9: Hello, Jason, good to talk to you. I have a couple of questions for you. I hope you can answer far away. Okay, since the president has to be born in the United States, why doesn't that apply for the Congress.
Speaker 2: I wish it did.
Speaker 1: It would be something I would support, But you know, in the Constitution there are different requirements. It's interesting, like, for instance, when I first ran for Congress back in two thousand and eight, I did not live in my congressional district. I was about just a couple miles outside the congressional district. But our founders and their wisdom said, you know what, what we're trying to do here is the congressional boundaries are going to change. We're not going to have people who can get jerry mandered out. You just need to be a citizen of the state, and then they have age requirements. But it is different in terms of the president.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why that exactly is, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: But boy, that's one that I would actually look out really hard and say, yeah, I think you're probably right. Did you have another question, Vicky?
Speaker 9: When we have lawmakers that we have to live under, they have a duty to take care of the United States States and be America first, and where they're from other countries, they don't, they don't think that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's there's some of those principles I think are very true. And this may be an absurd comparison, so hope, but it's the one that pops into my mind. I heard somebody say once, nobody ever washes a rental car, and I if you really think about that and kind of digest it as I have, what it means is what it says is if you don't feel like it's your own, you're going to take care of it very differently than if you feel like, oh, I own this. And when you're a citizen of this country, you're born, you live in a particular area, you feel like you're from Utah. Oh Utah's my home. This is I'm an American, I was born in the United States. You're going to have a very different attitude and approach approach than if you were, say, from Bolivia. Nothing against Bolivians, nice people everyone, I've met all three of them. I think I've probably met from Bolivia. But you get My point is, they just don't have the same feeling. So your point is, Vicky, is very well taken. Thanks for calling into the Sean Andity Show. Appreciate it again. The number eight hundred and ninety four one Seawan eight hundred ninety four one Sean which is seven three two six. All right, let's go to South Dakota Online three Harvey.
Speaker 2: What's your question, Hello.
Speaker 10: Jason, great appreciation for what you do there. I'm a Republican resident of South Dakota, John Soon State. I just got off the phone with him again off of his office. I should say urging him that the Save America Act is the most important legislation that he could possibly be thinking. It's time to not take a knee. It's time to go to the mat. We need that filibuster, We need his strength to be able to lead that. And if he can't, we should remember John Cornyan couldn't for Texas and they changed their representation there. So I'm merging all Southcote call soon. This is why we have the Republican majority. Let's get this done.
Speaker 1: Harvey well said, you know, I really do appreciate it. There seems to be a recurring theme here.
Speaker 2: Hmm, what is it.
Speaker 1: It's the idea that the Senate needs to do its job and pass this bill, and if not, I want to hear these senators stand up and make a case against it, because they won't do that. But the majority leader. You know, with all due respect, I'm friends with John Thune. I've known John Thune. I served at the same time that John Thune served, and so I wanted to have success. I want the Republicans to have success about I want him to actually force the issue and use every possible tool that he can this. You know, we've been talking about the filibuster. Just make them talk, don't give them the easy out, and don't go on a three week vacation. I'm sorry, I'll get in trouble with my colleagues work recess. That sorry, but that's it's just not the time for it. You're gonna have to stay there and do your work, and that's what you signed up to do. So, Harvey, I think you make a great point. I think it's echoed across the country and it's why we get so many of these calls. Thanks for calling South Dakota. My wife and I were going there this year. We already got it on the calendar. Only two states. I've never been to Mississippi for whatever reason, and South Dakota. So I figure the year too, the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. I want to go see Mount Rushmore in person with my own eyes. So I look forward to being up there and in South Dakota later this summer.
Speaker 2: Thanks Harvey.
Speaker 1: All right, call in line eight hundred nine four one sean eight hundred ninety four one seven three two six. Let's go to line five out of Georgia. This is Bill, Bill. What's on your what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 11: Well, First of all, thank you very much. I love the analogy about nobody washes a rotal car. I've never heard that one about.
Speaker 9: Chuck about Chuck os.
Speaker 11: I'd like to know about term limits. Why Congress both houses Senate passed term mo liments for themselves. I mean, there's no reason we should have career politicians like Chucky Humor and the other gang. Nancy Pelosi, yeah one, yes, yeah, there's no reason you should be there forever and never on man two terms. Thank you very much for playing out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, Bill, I'm one hundred and ten percent with you. This is one of the biggest issues. I've heard Governor Ron DeSantis talk a lot about this as well. Look, we put a term limit on the president, and we do so for a reason, and I think it should be not only for the Senators and the House members, it also ought to be for senior staff.
Speaker 2: The senior staff. Let me tell you quick story.
Speaker 1: It's more of a legendary story or other than an actual person. But as the story goes, you had a member of Congress, and the member of Congress is going to meet with a Cabinet secretary important meeting. It set it up and went over to the to the go visit with the cabinet secretary, and when he got there, the cabinet secretary wasn't there, but only the senior staff was there.
Speaker 2: And the Congressman.
Speaker 1: Gets all frustrated and decides, Ah, you know what this is, I'm not going to meet with the B team. I want to be I want to meet with the player. I want to meet with the cabinet secretary. And in his exasperation he gets stands up and to leave, and the senior staff finally calms him down, and the senior person of the senior staff said, sir, you are right.
Speaker 2: We are the B team.
Speaker 1: We be here before you, we be here after you, and we be the ones to actually make the decisions around here. That is so true, Bill, I am telling you that is exactly the way it works.
Speaker 2: That's those scenes.
Speaker 1: Your staff within an administration, they all believe that they can just wait them out. You know, you get somebody tenacious like a Brandon Gill or somebody like that, and guess what if you just wait them out, then they could or wait out President Trump, just eat up the clock, then they can they can just get around it. And it is so fundamentally wrong. I think that should happen in the state legislatures. I think it should happen with the governors. I happen to live in a state of Utah. No term limits on governors, no term limits. They it's just wrong, and I think it should be for senior staff House Senate. We have it for the president, So make it happen. Bill, you bring up a good point. Thanks to everybody who's listening on Georgia.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 1: We're going to be right back. We got more with Sean Handy's show right after this.
Speaker 3: Are you sick of fake news, Well we've got you covered.
Speaker 5: Kennedy watches here and has the news you need.
Speaker 3: John Hennedy.
Speaker 1: Two big actually or big wins, two big categories of victories for President Trump at the Supreme Court. We haven't talked about that today, but we're going to at the after the top of the hour, Gene Hamilton, the President of America. First Legal, We're going to talk about Second Amendment rulings, and we're also going to talk about some really important stuff on immigration. So if you want to get caught up to speed and understand how the Supreme Court, one of the most important things the president does right appoint for Supreme Court justices. Well, big rulings, immigration, guns, that's what we're talking about. The top of the hour. I'm Jason Chaefitz filling in for Sean Hannity.
Speaker 2: Check me out. Jason in the House, Jason in the House.
Speaker 1: Anywhere you listen to podcasts or my social media, Jason in the House.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. We're gonna be right back