Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, from the.
Speaker 2: Most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: It's America's only sorts for news. This is The Daily Show with your host.
Speaker 3: Ronny nag.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 4: Welcome to The Daily Show. I'm Roy Shang. We got so much to talk about tonight. Everyone's voted, but you Puerto Rico might decide the election and Trump doesn't know why you people keep calling him the N word. Plus, we sent Triumph, the insult comedy Dog the Magot Square Garden. So let's get right into the final week of indecision twenty twenty four. We are now just one week from election day, but the election is actually well underway. Over fifty million people have already voted early these days. Election day is like a white woman's birthday. You got celebrated for a whole month. There's still a ton of people who haven't voted yet. And for those people, one late breaking controversy you could actually end up making a difference. Days of backlash after a comedian's racist joke about Puerto Rico at a Trump rally.
Speaker 5: They are seeing this backlash breakthrough in a way that they have not seen yet this cycle.
Speaker 6: Puerto Rico fall out, spreading like wildfire in Pennsylvania. Superstars like Bad Bunny, Jay Lo and Ricky Martin took to social media and there are hundreds of millions of followers blasting out support for Vice President Harris. Jean Marie Lugo says the joke sealed her vote for Harris.
Speaker 4: I finally said, no, I have to be in their vi SI on the history.
Speaker 6: She has lived in Philadelphia for twenty years and was leaning towards Trump until the comments.
Speaker 4: Wow, this woman was leaning towards Trauma and now she's voting Kamala because of that one joke. I mean, she was like, I don't mind racism, but I draw the line at racism. This one offensive joke about puor Rico being a garbage island seems to have really broken through in a way that almost nothing else has. I mean, after all the speeches and the interviews and the press and the energy spend and ads and billions and billions of dollars being thrown around, people just ignored almost everything, but this joke somehow broke through the noise. And as a master political satirist myself, I'm extremely jealous, because all we do here is jokes all the time and it changes nothing. What was the difference maker here? What the target? Okay, well tell me where's country? Is? A shit on? I'll do it all right. Hey Australia, you're the garbage island? Anything anyone? Any did that move the needle? How is all engagement? This joke looks like I could have a lasting effect on the race. And I get why Porto Ricans are upset, but it's still crazy to me that a joke from Trump's warm up guy seems to be having more of an impact than Trump's actual terrible record on Puerto Rico. I mean, his administration blocked Puerto Rico from receiving hurricane relief. Then Trump went down there and tossed paper towels into the crowd, I guess, to help them soak up the hurricane. And to top it all off, Trump tried to trade Puerto Rico for Greenland. I mean he would rather That's not a good thing. Don't applaud that he would rather have a frozen wasteland than a tropical paradise full of brown people of good music. I mean, what a stupid idea. No one in Greenland can play shortstop, Okay, so will this affect the race. Well see what happens. But in the meantime, the joke from that MSG rally that really got my attention was actually this one.
Speaker 7: You know what, Kamala Harris, she's just she got eighty five million votes because she's just so impressive as the first samoan Malaysian low Iq former California prosecutor ever to be elected president.
Speaker 4: Big mistake, buddy. All right, I'm Malaysian and the rock is some moowen. So now that's right. Now, now you're insulting two of the biggest movie stars on the planet.
Speaker 8: Get ready for the backlash, baby.
Speaker 4: But MSG rally came out a bad time for Trump because last week his former chief of staff John Kelly said that Trump praised Hitler's generals. Yeah, cool, thanks for finally going to record five years later, General John Kelly, anything else you want to warn us about, like maybe a suspicious bag on the subway in two thousand and four. But now people are comparing the rhetoric at the MSG rally to another MSG rally in nineteen thirty nine that involved you guessed it, Nazis, which is the worst thing to happen at the god In other than twenty years of the Knicks. This all has placed Trump on the defensive.
Speaker 9: The newest line from Kamala and her campaign is that everyone who isn't voting for her is a Nazi, a Nazis.
Speaker 1: He's Hitler. And then they say he's a Nazi.
Speaker 4: I've not a Nazi.
Speaker 1: I'm the opposite of a Nazi. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, of course Trump is not a Nazi. Okay, they all famously served in the military. But what exactly, but what like, what exactly is the opposite of a Nazi? I mean, is it the guy who started Jay date because you're trying to make more Jews? Or is it like a guy who has like the reverse mustache like everything else but not that high but still, I mean, the question remains, is Donald Trump a Nazi? Well? According to JD. Vance, the only way to settle this debate is to talk to the people who actually fought the Nazis while they were in the middle of fighting the Nazis.
Speaker 5: Now, when these guys were fighting the actual Nazis back in nineteen forty four, I wonder what they would think about the Kamala Harris campaign. I'd like Kamala Harris to go back in time and hop on that boat and say that she wants taxpayer funded sex reassignment surgeries for illegal aliens. And I'd like to hear the response of those brave men.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like they might have other things they want to talk about first, like I know what you're from the future. Hey, can you tell me the enemy's exact position? And if any of these bullets are gonna hit me right now? Also, bitcoin, is that a thing or not? And by the way, this is an interesting debate because Kamala has actually never called Trump Hitler. Jd Vance did though, And if he's and I mean, if jd Vance has got a time machine, maybe he should go back in time and tell himself to shut the f up. Oh who knows. I mean, maybe he got it right the first time. But jd Vance wasn't the only one talking about time travel. RFK Junior the Legend also chimed in with the weirdest reason for not comparing Trump to Hitler.
Speaker 10: So many of us when we were kids in this country, we're we're asked answer to consider the moral quandary, would you, if you could go back in time, would you kill baby Hitler? Before he could do all the damage and most of his answer, yeah, we would do that. So when you compare an American political figure to Hitler who was about to become president, you know the kind of people who are you know, who are already a little unstable, You're you're really suggesting to them that this man should be killed before he gets into office.
Speaker 4: Man, you thought my accent was bad? But wait, and what do you when you say what you shouldn't call Trump Hitler because someone will go back in time and kill baby Trump. Plan I don't know, even by RFK junior standards, that makes no sense. I mean, it sounds like his brainworm got a brainworm, and most people would kill baby Hitler, but only RFK Junior would then drop the baby Hitler in central pocket make it look like a bike accident. So uh. For more on rfk's comments about why we can't call Trump a Nazi, let's go live to Grace Cooling Smith Greg right, right?
Speaker 1: Great? Uh?
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait, wait where are you right now? Not?
Speaker 11: Where am I Ronnie? But when am I?
Speaker 3: The answer?
Speaker 8: Nineteen forty six?
Speaker 3: In baby Donald Trump's nursery.
Speaker 11: It's okay, little lady bitty Booba, Mama's here, Grace.
Speaker 4: What the how did you go back in time? I know?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what what are you doing with Baby Trump?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 11: I heard what RFK said, and it gave me a great idea.
Speaker 3: Not the first time RFK has done that.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, Grace, you're not going to do I think you're gonna do? Are you what? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, no, oh my god.
Speaker 11: I would never hurt a baby. I have dropped him several times by accident. But no, I'm here to kidnap baby Trump and protect him from all the unstable people who might come back in time to hurt him.
Speaker 8: Baby Hungy wanna suck?
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 4: Get. I don't think you can just spontaneously breastfeed a baby. That's not yours, Grace.
Speaker 11: It's my body, Ronnie, it's my choice.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, Well, look now that you've saved baby Trump, what now? What what's your plan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So I've decided I'm going to raise him on my own. I'll teach him right from wrong, show him how to respect women, and find a non violent hobby like baby modeling. If I can do all this, maybe he'll become the leader or country deserves.
Speaker 12: And lead he shall Grace and lead he shall.
Speaker 4: Wait wait, who's that? Oh Charlie? What everybody? What? What? Where are you reporting from?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: Where am I?
Speaker 4: Ronnie?
Speaker 8: But when am I up?
Speaker 4: And tell me where you are?
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm from the alternate timeline where Grace successfully raises baby Trump.
Speaker 4: Oh god, another multivus marvel. Thank you for everything you do.
Speaker 12: Yes, and thank you Grace for changing the world.
Speaker 1: You're a hero here.
Speaker 8: Everyone here knows your name. Grace cool and Trudi.
Speaker 4: Okay, Wow, that's great. So Troy is the timeline? Good?
Speaker 12: It's great. Everyone is so kind. There's no global warming. We all have flying cars that you can have sex with. And last night, good Trump held a rally at Madison Square Garden and his opening joke was, you know what the worst thing about Puerto Rico is I don't get to spend enough time there.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Grace, I guess you did it. I mean, you must be so proud.
Speaker 12: We are forever in your debt.
Speaker 8: Grace, you saved the world.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Troy. Quick question though, what is happening with your hair?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 12: I know?
Speaker 1: Hot?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: So all is right in the world.
Speaker 12: President Trump is sweet as pie and we all have this really chic haircut.
Speaker 3: Everyone has that haircut.
Speaker 8: Literally everyone.
Speaker 12: It's it's the only haircut in this timeline.
Speaker 3: It looks dumb as ship.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I can't do this.
Speaker 11: If my actions are what caused that haircut, then I'm out.
Speaker 1: Grace.
Speaker 8: Wait, Grace, Grace, why why did you do that? That was a lot of choice to say.
Speaker 11: The world not worth a haircut, Ronnie, I'm coming back to the future.
Speaker 8: That's why it's called the right skirt.
Speaker 4: Grace Cooling's made. I'm tell you what, everybody.
Speaker 8: Hey, when we come back, ty go some AS's leg God.
Speaker 13: And you don't want to miss it. Hey, welcome back to that Daly show.
Speaker 4: Oh, everyone's talking about Trump's rally at Madison Square gotten, But what did the people who actually went there think to find out? We sent ovo special correspondent Triumph, the insult comic dog.
Speaker 2: We're here outside Madison Square Garden witnessing a caravan of migrants invading Manhattan. I didn't think it was possible to have more white people here than a Rangers game. The last time Donald Trump had this many New Yorkers in the palm of his hand, he was doing it to impress Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 1: Right to the right. Folks, Come on, okay, whoop.
Speaker 2: Sorry, wait wait wait, let me just stand right here.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're good, you're good.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're rest tight, you're west Look at you, my good Look at this get up.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, I almost wore that, you know. Thankfully my meds kicked in here. See it's upset. Where are you two from?
Speaker 2: And oh out of towners? So tell me since you arrived in New York City? How many times have you been murdered? So you're a big Trump fan?
Speaker 14: I tell you what.
Speaker 1: At least Trump's the legitimate nominee. Kamala you know.
Speaker 2: It was like a coup, right They handed her the nomination, right which she still has to get past Trump, which for a woman is very hard to do without pepper spray. Everyone outside is like, oh, it's a Nazi rally right now.
Speaker 1: This is nothing like a Nazi rally. The Nazis were in shape.
Speaker 2: First of all, they took care of themselves, unlike the guy over here.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 2: Seriously, when I look at you, makes me think the groceries aren't expensive enough.
Speaker 1: Hi kid, hi kid, It's not a Nazi rally. I hate when people use that term.
Speaker 2: When they call Trump a Nazi, he's the candidate preferred by Nazis.
Speaker 1: Here's another issue that drives me crazy. Inflation? Am I right? It's crazy right now?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Can you believe it's costing Elon Musk one dollars per voter to steal the election?
Speaker 1: But it's a disgrace.
Speaker 2: The Democrats are running on abortion a lot, right, that's a big issue in this election. What would you say to people worried about losing that?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Aside from what is it like to have sex?
Speaker 8: I'm not believe that I should be plowing across hard border.
Speaker 1: Foreigners are destroying American jobs. Did you know that just.
Speaker 2: One illegal immigrant caused six thousand people to lose their jobs?
Speaker 1: At Twitter? This guy Elon something.
Speaker 8: Well, this is not a good point.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. What's the biggest seller today?
Speaker 4: Right here?
Speaker 1: This on it all?
Speaker 8: It has?
Speaker 1: You know what, though, I got some merch? What you got? If he loses the election was stolen? What if he wins? You say, look, the election was not stolen. Okay, how about this one?
Speaker 2: To commemorate the Trump rally of Madison Square Garden, I'm with twenty thousand stupids arrows all around.
Speaker 1: Why I think it's going to be a big setting. This is a human dog collar. A lot of Trump fans can wear this if found. Return to Staten Island, guys, we got to fix you up with some merch. I'm selling merch, you know, yeah, especially you. Here. Here's what I got for you, Trump condoms.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: Here, here's what they look like.
Speaker 2: You know, they have more value if you keep them in the wrapper, which I'm sure you won't have any problem doing. And then here you can also have these. These are the Arnold Palmer size.
Speaker 8: You got a question for you?
Speaker 1: Are you going in? No, I'm not going in.
Speaker 2: I wanted to speak, but they said we don't need dogs and we have way too many puppets already.
Speaker 1: Do you love RFK Junior?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Kay, okay, if you like r F Junior, raise your hand as far as the polio will allow.
Speaker 1: RFK is a real hero, isn't he?
Speaker 2: I mean, because being a hero is all about sacrifice, and that man is sacrificed principle.
Speaker 1: He ever had to endorse Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: Between him and me, that's two of us who've had their balls cut off.
Speaker 1: How much better.
Speaker 8: Comm Donald Trump doesn't need notes.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump does not need notes to stand and wander around the stage while Ave Maria plays six times.
Speaker 1: They're absolutely viting. You can't put a soundtrack and laughter on you. Oh, I don't need one. Listen to those people.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 1: Let me hear it, Danny show lest me. The liberals are going nuts. Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to insinuate that Trump is out of his mind.
Speaker 1: I'm stating it bluntly. Trump is out of his mind. I gotta say it.
Speaker 15: It's a nice crowd, but a lot of angry white guys here got to admit. What do you think is less likely that Haitians are eating cats or that any of the guys here have ever eatenrum?
Speaker 1: Why do you think the Trump?
Speaker 16: You have this guy in the curtain and we get the punchline, then ship on me this with a collar for Yoka.
Speaker 1: All right, these people are out of their minds.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to change into something that would command more respect around here.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 7: How's everyone going?
Speaker 8: Don't jump Trump? Here we go.
Speaker 1: Look at my old friend. We both took a crook on Natty Blunchi's gas right, I don't know, but I don't remember. Come on, what a dump? What a dump we took in there? I want a storm of Snrouser's vagina. Who's worked me? Folks were on the verge of something very special? Can you feel it? You know? The other side the talk about.
Speaker 2: Record low and unemployment record I, stock market, infrastructure, blah blah blah.
Speaker 14: But this election is more than about issues that quote unquote affect us.
Speaker 1: This election is personal, Am I right?
Speaker 14: It's about sticking it to those elitist liberals, those elitists who hate millionaires. But you know what, on November fifth, those elitists, they're gonna be the ones crying, and we're gonna be the ones drinking.
Speaker 1: Liberal tears, liberal tears.
Speaker 15: Liberal tears, everybody, liberal tears.
Speaker 1: I love them. Solved the liberal tears. I won't have medical in two years. But at least I don't know that there's liberal.
Speaker 16: Teers, liberal tears, liberal tears.
Speaker 1: LB, are you el liberal tears?
Speaker 14: Go in the shitter.
Speaker 1: But I'm frightful and bitter. We're all throwing mud and rails.
Speaker 14: Ands are flooding, and just as UPTONEUS five.
Speaker 1: Billionaire zonus thy candidates lion, the planet is tying.
Speaker 16: But the roles are quiet, so I say three cheers and the pay because my dream is to drown in them.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, never cares.
Speaker 13: Who works, Thank you Triumph.
Speaker 8: When we come back, Maria Teresa Kuma'll be joining me on the show, so don't go away. Welcome back to that daily show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is the co founder and president of Voto Latino. Please welcome Maria Teresa Kuma. That's something on the show. Yeah your Latino. Your last name is Kuma. I guess everybody's mind. Yeah, well I guess it makes youre the ultimate brown person.
Speaker 3: Actually, my children because they are half Jewish, they are quarter of South Asian actually quarter South Asian, quarter Jewish, and then all Latina.
Speaker 4: So there you go, brown Asians and Latinos. You gotta get that, like the meme like there's a very afraid So, I mean, you know, it's similarities of Asians. I mean, you know, whereever people talk about the Asian voting block, I always kind of tell them like, oh, well, not really a monolith. That's a lot of different types of Asians. Yeah, and I assume the same is with Latinos.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent Latinos, Like if if the Colombian soccer team is playing. That's why I cheer for right. Don't tell me that Sancocho is better for the Puerto Ricans or the Dominicans, because Colombian Psychocho is better. But you know what, we're not a monolith or we are a monolith when it comes to Latino rights. All Latinos come together.
Speaker 8: Rights along the line. Okay, I mean, I got I got to take a wood for that.
Speaker 4: I mean, is it like, how like? In what ways does the vote the Latino voting block differ from let's say, the average American voter in their concerns and well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, look when you talk when you put an abortion on the ballot, Latinos really care because what folks don't realize is that the average American voter, white voter is forty eight years old. The average Latino voter is thirty one.
Speaker 4: Okay, when you say that they care, which way do they care?
Speaker 3: They care to have agency and act us over their bodies. They want to make sure that they cannot only have access to abortion, but they also want to make sure that they have access to health care. And it's something that's super important to them. And one of the things that I think the right has gotten wrong. Is this idea. I'll give you an example. When Mitt Romney was running for president, my grandmother called me. My grandmother got married when she was thirteen years old. She had eight children. He gets up every single morning at four o'clock in the morning and does the Rosary. And she called me and said, Maria Tresa, I hear Romney wants to take away abortion. And I said, oh no, Grandma, I'm going to have to tell you that I'm on the board of plant Parenthood. Talk about an awkward conversation with your eighty nine year old grandmother, right, And then she said, lauina and she and then you know, she said, she said, I love all my children equally, but had I had choices, I would have made different ones. And so I want to make sure that other women have different choices, and so.
Speaker 8: To break.
Speaker 3: But I have to tell you, Ronnie, to break that awkwardness. I said, okay, Grandma, So you're telling me that you love them all equally? Which uncle would you not have had?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 4: What did she say?
Speaker 8: She hung up really quick?
Speaker 4: Wit So okay, So I mean back to the idea. I mean that's this, I guess the in From my perspective, I always hear about how the Latino vote is much more conservative than people would assume because of you know, we associate minorities kind of with left wing politics, but in the case of Latino they seem to be you know, there's characteristics in the conservative side that really appeal to them.
Speaker 3: So this again, this is where it gets really awkward. Like literally close to sixty percent of Latino voters are under the age of forty, and so when you talk to a lot of Latino voters, they're disproportionately young people. And what do I have to do to for a young person. I don't have to convince them that climate change is real, Okay, I need to convince them that they have to vote, and if they vote for the right people that believe in climate change, then they can change policy. And so when the people say again that Latinos are not a monolith, it's really around generational stuff. And so again it's a matter how do you mobilize them. And one of the reasons that we're here today is because we're celebrating National Early Vote Day. Sure, and the way you get young people to get to participate is you talk to them about the issues they care about. In this case, they care about housing is too damn high, They care about abortion, and you know what they don't like. They don't like racists.
Speaker 4: Are you.
Speaker 8: Are you sure?
Speaker 4: Are you sure they don't like racist because maybe it doesn't sit well. I mean, but so you're saying that the Latino voting block, in your opinion, is more it's more divided according to generation than ethnicity. Yes, Latinos, okay, So to.
Speaker 3: Give you an idea, So if you look at Arizona, Arizona was able to flip for the Democrats in twenty twenty was because you have a massive group of young Latinos coming of age. To give you an example, Biden won Arizona by ten four hundred votes. Since then, over one hundred and sixty thousand Latinos have turned eighteen, just in Arizona. And you know what politicized them, racism, Sheriff Arpaio shown.
Speaker 8: Your people are so.
Speaker 4: No, this is this is this all sounds great, But then so what is the issue?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: Why is it even? Then?
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's that's the that's the right question. It's even because the massive amount of Latino voters that have come of age, have not been fully registered. My life's work is trying to register voters as soon as they turn eighteen. A Latino voter turns eighteen every thirty seconds of this country.
Speaker 4: Right, So you're hanging around high schools with like, hey, ten years.
Speaker 3: A little, you're your democracy and freedom if you vote for me.
Speaker 4: No, no, but no.
Speaker 3: But so that that's the biggest gap, right, So when people say Latinos don't care when vote Latino.
Speaker 4: When we were said that, I didn't say that.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: No, you know, I'm not trying to put forward no, but oftentimes people will. There will be headlines it's like Latinos the sleeping giant, right, And those are serious questions because the biggest challenge for the Latino community is to close the voter registration gap. There's roughly ten million Latinos that are not registered, and the majority of them are literally under the age of twenty nine. If you ask yourself, why why do they have all these laws trying to prevent the vote, It's because we live in a multicultural America that's disproportionately young, that has a very different worldview than the people controlling most branches of government, and so our job is to say, look, we need you not only to register, but vote early and make sure that you're doing it in droves, because oftentimes people wait until the last minute then all of a sudden, if you're working an hourly job, you don't you don't have time. You can't afford to stand in line for hours. But you can if you start voting right now.
Speaker 4: Sure, And I mean I yeah thatsoes applause, Yeah, you should vote right now.
Speaker 8: You should vote right now. I mean, I mean I agree that.
Speaker 4: Well, we seem to be in a moment in time when it seems to be a generational battle between old people and old people and then like younger people, I do feel that. But I guess I'm asking you, and it seems to you seem to be telling me that even I don't think, for granted that just because you're young, you're you're not conservative? Correct, So I'm asking you if you're young Latino people, I mean they could I mean, are you that confident that they don't skew fifty fifty conservatives?
Speaker 3: They're absolutely not fifty to fifty, I can tell you. Like even even so, we do tons of focus groups all the time, Like you're gonna have to come over, Ronnie, and I'll just bury you into data and you're gonna love it as super sex. But we actually our job is to actually better understand, right, and so I will tell you, like the last pool we took. When you look at Latino young voters, seventy percent of them are for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: Seven out of time.
Speaker 3: So our job, our job is to get them out.
Speaker 4: Okay, so how do you Yeah? Well, okay, well that that sounds good. But again I'm just like this is easy. Is still even then? Who is not missing?
Speaker 1: They're not?
Speaker 3: No, no, Well that's what that is. Why it was so important when Bad Bunny and Jennifer Lopez came out for Kamla Harris because we are constantly in these balconized media environments. Young people get their information from TikTok Bad Bunny talking to low information voters saying, hey, look over here, this guy's a racist. He does he believes that Puerto Ricans are garbage. But here, come and vote for Kamala Harris because he actually has a plan. That's why he was so important. It's not just like his leadership, it's more of like he gets to talk to audiences that don't consume information in traditional ways.
Speaker 4: Sure well. And on that point, like so you think this this MSG rally stuff about Porto Ricans do is this is this going to move the needle or not?
Speaker 3: I can tell you that at both of us. You know, the amount of celebrities that have come out through the woodwork have been phenomenal, but also business leaders. And this is the thing. When he went after Puerto Ricans, that comedian, he went after all of us, because in the Latino community, we recognize code, we recognize dog whistles. When Donald Trum decided that he was going to run for office because he said he was calling Mexicans rapists and criminals, we all in the Latino community heard that dog whistle and we organized starting in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty and twenty twenty two. And our job now is basically to stand firm and make sure that we're participating, and that is learning about how to how to vote, Go to vote Latina dot org and vote Latina lot door dot or is for everybody, not just Latinos, but our allies and our friends, because we want everybody voting and to well not you tell.
Speaker 1: Me that's it.
Speaker 8: That's a physical offense.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so yeah, today is national the early Day, and you're all with the organization Votto Latino and you want to tell us a bit about what you guys do.
Speaker 3: And we basically in twenty ten, the census said that Latinas were the second largest demographic of a voter of Americans. But we didn't come of age as the second largest demographic voters until twenty eighteen. So we got to work. We said, where are the possibilities of moving elections? And we register voters all the time, and we mobilize them and we inform them. And for us, it's like, how do you nurture a relationship? You give that love. Our democracy is a relationship, and how we nurture it is with our votes.
Speaker 4: We have abusive relationship at this point.
Speaker 3: But did you well no, because you know what, we voted in record number in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty, and then all of a sudden, we got insulin costs came down to thirty five dollars. We actually got loan forgiveness for billions of dollars, Like we finally started showing up and we have the best climate.
Speaker 4: Because you facts, I feel sad.
Speaker 8: I feel sad.
Speaker 3: The person who does care is the person that doesn't have to pay two thousand dollars friends.
Speaker 4: No, I agree. I think that people facts, which brings you in to another thing you guys do, which is you battle off disinformation all that all the time.
Speaker 3: And so one of the things that we've learned is that the and when you say why aren't young people paying attention oftentimes, is that the massive amount of dispperration they're getting online on TikTok in particular is very real. So our job is to say, what are you listening to? And how do we combat it. The other thing we know, and this is I think where we have a lot of com with the Asian American community, is that oftentimes our elders are getting bad information and it's that young person that basically breaks the fever, says no, that's not exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: It breaks the fever or just unending fight, but they eventually listen. Yeah. I mean, And on that note, I mean, you see, we all you know, while here we're kind of like preaching to acquire a little bit, but we do. I'd just like to ask you, like, what would you say to conservative Latino voters right now, who might be on the fence or what would you tell them.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, so my grandmother always says you are who you are, who your friends are.
Speaker 4: We look at the camera, looking at the cameras your friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my grandmother says, you are who your friends are. And so if Donald Trump's friends are calling our community garbage, if they're talking about massive importation, if they are talking about this idea of separating families or deporting whole families, they're talking about you. Because the moment you step out that door, you present as brown. And our job right now is safeguard our democracy. And if Kamala Harris can bring Dick Cheney in AOC under one tent, that's a call for our democracy right.
Speaker 8: Now, that call for better put Latino president Maria. There's that pulled on everybody. What about the great break? Wait right back after this, every that's our show for tonight.
Speaker 4: But before we go, today is vote early day and Tuesday, November fifth is election day. So please encourage your friends to go to vovo vote dot com to make a plan to vote this election. It's very important now here. It is your moment of zen.
Speaker 9: The problem with the hydrogen curve. Something goes wrong. It's like the Adam bomb would if you're not recognizable.
Speaker 1: But they say we think we.
Speaker 9: Have it under control.
Speaker 4: That's not good enough.
Speaker 9: They'll say, we thought it was Marjorie tayl Agreen riding down the middle of the turnpike, but she still longer recognized.
Speaker 8: We found some of her, I won't say we love her stand up.
Speaker 4: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 5: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts