Speaker 1: Sabrina, it's another musical.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's another musical, which we're going to get.
Speaker 2: Into a different kind of musical.
Speaker 1: Though Disney loves just breaking into song.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen this kind of musical.
Speaker 1: I have not, we have I can't. First of all, I love them, but you got to keep them on the entire time. You can't take them off. I need you to. Oh my god, so bad. I can't. Can't your your your costume.
Speaker 2: I can only wear for like the first second and then it's gotta go.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. But did we love the movie? Well, we'll get into that. First of all, Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to your time and all the houses were smart, the Waves, Tsunamis and the high School's Musical. I'm Wilford Delle and.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, the girl of your dreams, would you capture it or did you just let it slip?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 1: No, it's not eight mile, but this week we are recapping the twenty twelve romantic hip hop musical Let It Shine. The Decom debut on June fifteen, twenty twelve, and believe it or not, it is a retelling of eighteen ninety sevens Sira Noda Bergerac, a classic play by Edmund Rostand. While it is nowhere near the only modern piece of media that has pulled inspiration from this specific source material, We've got nineteen eighty seven, Steve Martin comedy Rock Sane, Great Movie nineteen ninety six is rom com The Truth About Cats and Dogs, and Netflix's Sierra Burgess Is a Loser. Those are just three examples of other movies with the exact same cribbed premise, while TV shows like The Brady Bunch, Cheers, Fraser, and even a little show called Boy Meets World have stolen this plot. Yeah, it might be actually one of the most used tropes in all of Hollywood. Popular or good looking suitor is fed lines either uglier or near to your friend to capture the interest of a girl or a guy. Eventually, of course, the plan is exposed and everything blows up, only to still work out in the end for the nerd and the cool love interest. And it's a journey. That always makes for quite a script. Hey, you get a good story, you can see it over and over and over again. That's why the hero's journey will always work. Whether it's Luke Skywalker or Odysseus, it will constantly work. Now. Did you know about Syra oder Bergack before this one?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I did not. Do you ever see Roxanne with Steve Martin? No, Oh, great movie. You gotta go see Roxanne.
Speaker 2: I will put it on the list you should.
Speaker 1: With the tagline the Truth is in the music. Let It Shine. Is filmed in Atlanta and Marietta, Georgia, which are new locations to us, so they must have lost the coin that week to flip between Utah and I swear.
Speaker 4: I was looking, going, can I find any type of Toronto scene?
Speaker 2: No, it was our new stuff.
Speaker 1: I was going, Wow, Toronto can look like Atlanta too, That's amazing. Nope, I loved it.
Speaker 2: It looked great. I thought they SAIDs were so good.
Speaker 1: They are and they. These are not only new locations for us, but played heavily into the film itself. Frankly, it also had a soundtrack with thirteen original songs. Some of the producers and songwriters involved include David Banner, Rock Mafia, Toby Gadd, Lindy Robbins, and Adam Hicks, who together have created hits for musicians like Justin Bieber, Young thug Selena Gomez, Jason Derulo, Beyonce, One Direction, and many others. For the record, I have heard of two of those people on that list. No, I've heard of Bieber, Okay, I've never heard of Okay. Well, there's a lot of people I don't know. And the movie was seriously successful for the channel. The premiere pulled in five point seven million viewers, which is a massive number for twenty twelve, and at the time it became the most watch dcom of twenty twelve. It had such a popular debut that a sequel script was written, according to one of its stars, but eventually was scrapped. So what rhymes with disappointment? Ointment? But doint I'll keep thinking of it. Let Shine was also released on DVD in August of the same year, marking a fast two month turnaround for Disney, especially since a special Rap Battle edition aired on June thirtieth, raaking in over four point five million viewers on its own. It is also worth noting and this should in no way, shape or form effect our eventual ratings, but the movie does have one of the higher Rotten Tomato scores we've ever seen, with eighty four percent. So okay. Sabrina Resident expert for singing and Dancing. We do this for every musical film that we tackle. What did you think? How is the dancing? Was Chris good? How's the singing? How are we doing?
Speaker 4: I thought the dancing was great, Honestly, I the choreography was really good. I thought the way that the staging happened it felt very Paulhan to me, the way he filmed it.
Speaker 2: Everything. I loved all of that.
Speaker 4: It was a hit or miss for music for me. Some stuff I liked, some stuff I didn't. There seemed to be a lot of musical numbers in this, and I get it.
Speaker 2: It's it's about music. But it started to like halfway through.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh my god, we're going again. I feel like we just finished the last song. So that I will say was it was a lot. I feel like there's probably at least two of the routines that were maybe not necessary or did it need to be as long, But we'll obviously get into those and when they pop up.
Speaker 2: I will let you know which ones I would have scrapped.
Speaker 1: I would have taken out. Did you know about Let It Shine before we did this?
Speaker 2: I did not. I'm starting to feel a lot more like you will. Yes, I have not heard of this at all.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the olds. Do you want to you want to guess if i'd heard of it.
Speaker 2: I think this one is actually one that is your favorite.
Speaker 1: I had not heard of it. Yeah, I got it. I had not heard of it. Okay, well, it's the moment of truth. Tonight's the night. Let's get in some joyful noise. Me and you need to get into The synopsis, a teenage boy hides his rapping from family and friends, but when his best friend uses his lyrics to get close to a girl, he must battle to win her affection while struggling against pressure from his father Sabrina early thoughts. Did you like the movie? I?
Speaker 4: I mean starting in the church where I'm going, Oh, we've got sister act.
Speaker 2: Meeting eight mile. I'm kind of interested on what's going.
Speaker 4: At the beginning of it, I was like, ah, I wasn't, cause again Let It Shine give gave me as a title.
Speaker 2: No, look into what this movie was going to of course, not at all.
Speaker 1: So the thirteenth Year of Musicals.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, I get it at the end, I get it. We get it finally at the end. Why that was the title. But so for me, I'm going, oh wow. I thought the music right away. I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was cool. I'm a huge Sister Rac fan.
Speaker 4: This is awesome bringing a new generation into the Sister Act loving fans base. So I was like, okay, I liked it. And then took a little bit of a slow turn and then eventually we'll get to where I land. But at the beginning, I was in I liked it.
Speaker 2: Sister Rac means me eight mile. I was into it.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is so different than anything we've seen thus far on all of our movie rewatches.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, Okay, I loved this movie.
Speaker 2: Did you I did?
Speaker 1: I loved this movie. I you know why, because first of all, all of the singing is appropriate, meaning it's not a bunch of kids pulling up to a gas station all of a sudden going like we're getting unleded. It's like, no, they're they're singing in places they're supposed to be singing. They have musical numbers in church on stage. They made it a musical, but it's like it makes sense as a musical.
Speaker 4: And the times that they do break in And I knew I was hoping that you were gonna like this because the times that they do break into just random. He's supposed to be riffing correct, Yes, as a as.
Speaker 2: A rapper, he does that. He starts just going off.
Speaker 1: Of it is also and we will get into it as we get more into the breakdown. But it is also arguably the best cast of any dcom we've seen a good cast. The cast so good in this movie. They've all gone on to essentially control Hollywood right now, but they are from the lead to some of the smallest roles in the film. This movie was cast so well that it was no. I fully enjoyed it. I really did. I thought this was a great movie. Let It Shine. Is of course directed by friend of the podcast and a man who makes the D in d com stand for direction, Yes, Paul Hoan. Paul is currently the mastermind behind the incredibly successful Disney Music franchise Zombies, which at times does have wrap in it, but make no mistake, his decom roots are very strong, much like the Force with Luke Skywalker, He's got Luck of the Irish. You wish read it and weep jump in, Cheetah Girls, One World, and Dad Napped, which is well, we're going to get into that, just to name a few. If you want to learn about Paul and his prolific career, check out our interview with him a few months back on our dedicated magical rewind feed. And if you haven't heard it yet, because I know some people listen to this feed but they don't listen to the interviews, you really should go and check it out because it was really an incredible interview and just you get a lot of behind the scenes of how this stuff was all put together. It was really really cool. But as I was saying, the cast is spectacular, maybe the most names we've ever mentioned. And you can tell how great the casting was by seeing all of their recent success. So let's start with its star Tyler James Williams, who just pops off the screen. He plays Cyrus, a play on Syrah. No. Of course, Tyler is best known for his time as young Chris Rock on the TV show Everybody Hates Chris, which ran from two thousand and five to two thousand and nine, he became the youngest person ever to win an NAACP Image Award at just fourteen, and before that he spent five years as a kid on Sesame Street. Yes, he's been working his entire life and rightfully so. That is someone who is born to be on the screen. You also saw him on shows like Dear White People, Criminal Minds, Beyond Borders, Walking Dead, and now you can see him weekly on the incredibly successful Emmy wining sitcom Abbott Elementary as Gregory Eddie. He's just working on Hilarious. And then we've got Coco Jones as Roxy. This was her first movie ever. She was seen in episodes of Good Luck Charlie before this, and starred as Coco Blue on the Disney show So Random. She has a singer herself, formally signed to Hollywood Records, and it's a five time Grammy nominee and one once in twenty twenty four for her song Ice You. But she is also known as Hillary Banks in the Fresh Prince reboot bel Air and for those keeping score at home, she was also the star who back in twenty twenty said during a YouTube live stream there was a sequel in the works but was scrapped. And while I don't normally mention things like this because these are normally teenagers that we're talking about and it gets creepy, she was distractingly pretty, just absolutely beautiful in this.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know who did she look like? Anyone?
Speaker 3: To you?
Speaker 1: I couldn't place who she looked like.
Speaker 4: She looked like, I mean, I know we knew her, she wasn't. I don't know how old Jennifer Hudson was when she came out.
Speaker 1: But she she look like is Jennifer.
Speaker 4: She looks so much like Jennifer Hudson and like as like what I would see if, I mean she would be would have been the perfect like the movie of her life right to be her as like, I mean, she was so beautiful.
Speaker 1: She's stunning, absolutely like.
Speaker 4: You're right, I mean, I couldn't. I couldn't take when she was on screen. You just can't take care of her.
Speaker 1: This is truly a cast from top to bottom that commands the screen. Yes, I mean it really does. You just see they talk about getting through the lens this cast, uh, And we're getting more and more into him. For instance, Trevor Jackson is Chris. He is also a musician. He has songs with Kelley Row and Sierra Ramirez Okay, but has also been seen on TV shows like Eureka, Austin and Ally and Casey Undercover. He also starred in the twenty eighteen super Fly remake, but it's best known now as Aaron Jackson on the shows Blackish and Grownish. Everybody is just still killing it, Killing It. And then we have Brandon Michael Smith is Lord of de Bling, which is also my nickname in high school. Thank you Producer Jensen for putting that in. Brandon had already been seen on That's So Raven, ten episodes of Fill in the Future and Nixon Fabulous, but is best known as one of the stars of So Random, alongside Coco. He'd later play Little Richard and the James Brown biopick Get On Up. And he's the voice of Michelangelo in the New Rise of the Teenage Ninja Girtles TV shows and movies Ah So Jealous, also for Magical rewind Purposes. He's in another DCM called starstra and then we have Don Lewis as Gail. She is a TV legend best known as Jalisa on a Different World. She also appears in the movie's Dreamgirls, and is in incredibly busy voiceover actor for shows like The Simpsons, Futurama, Star Trek, Lower Decks, and Fairly Odd Parents. She is also in one of the greatest films of all time, Keenan Ivory Wayan's very first big movie, I'm Gonna Get Jasuka, which is still one of the funniest movies of all time, and she is hysterical and a name very familiar to me. My friend Alex Desier plays Levi, Alex's first off, the coolest human being on the planet. He is seriously the coolest person who's ever lived. But professionally, he played Jake on the long running show Becker and Eli Williams on Boy Meets World. He's probably most recognizable for one movie role, though, even though he was only in maybe four or five scenes tops. But he's Charles in Swingers, the guy willing to leave a very crowded party because his place is dead anyway. He is now a very busy voiceover actor in twenty twenty five as the new voice of Carl and others on The Simpsons, and he's the lead singer of the hepcats, a SKA mainstay in the LA music scene since the nineties, and We're not done yet. Nicole Sullivan is Leilah. You might know her as a Mad TV cast member, or as Janine on Blackish, or as Holly on the King of Queens, or as she go on a little show called Kim Possible, but she currently plays Carol Finkel on The Sex Lives of College Girls, a show I've never heard of and probably will not be watching. Sorry, I love you, but it just doesn't seem like it's made for me. Two time Emmy winner Courtney B. Vance Man is Jacob, a veteran character actor from movies like The Hunt for October, Dangerous Minds, and Space Cowboys. He's also started over one hundred episodes of Law and Order Criminal Intent, but it was his two high profile guest star roles one on the HBO show Lovecraft Country and then, most infamously as Johnny Cochrane in The O. J. Simpson American Crime Story that won him the Emmy. He's an incredible actor. Just this cast, it's again, it's one after another of amazing actors. Yes, and finally featured background choir girl Number one and choir Girl Number two are played by Chloe and he Baily, two kids at the time who have become massive stars. The sisters are a hit R and B duo sign to Beyonce, who've been nominated for five Grammys and were stars of the show Grownish. Hallie also played the new Arial in the recent Little Mermaid Live Action remake? Did you notice them, Sabrina?
Speaker 4: I did not notice them. I've got to go back and look at those scenes because Hallie, I mean, she was amazing as aerial, so good. This is such a cool, cool thing to find out that like one of her first things probably was right there.
Speaker 2: On the ditch Disney Channel and this dcon. This is so rad me being.
Speaker 1: Old and still not knowing any of these people. I've heard of.
Speaker 2: Gronish, you know that the remake they did.
Speaker 1: The like with which I know of it, but I've never seen Okay, yeah, yes, And I've heard of Beyonce and she is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: And I've heard of Beyonce. You don't live completely.
Speaker 1: Under I don't think I've ever heard of Beyonce song, but I've heard of Beyonce. This is seriously arguably the most impressive cast. Don't you think I'm amazing, incredible. Now we get to the bad news. Let It Shine is one hundred and four minutes. Even with a cast like that, it is say it with me too long?
Speaker 2: Long, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And again we go back to the numerous of musical portions of Yeah, we could have exactly cut them down if not taken them out there.
Speaker 1: We're looking for ninety minutes, people, ninety minutes only, so instead of let it shine, more like let it end? Am I right? And I loved it. It's written by Eric Daniel, whose only other writing credit is the Wesley Snipes comedy Back on the Strip. However, he was a production assistant on Do the Right Thing and New Jack City, so that's very impressive. And he shared the credit with Dondee Scott, who found incredible success as the writer of Barbershop one and two and In the Room of the TV show The Neighborhood. Okay, enough for the opening act. Let's get to the Grand Slam and get into Let It Shine. We open at a large and beautiful black church. The sun shines through stained glass, illuminating a service taking place. The choir is singing while a man sits in a large chair at the center of the pew. Then the piano player, a young man in a sweater and a tie, presses play for a hip hop beat to blast over the speakers. The choir and full band love what they hear, busting into an upbeat gospel tune and dance routine, but the man in the chair is not feeling it, especially when the choir throws off their gowns to expose pastel gap looking outfits. They close out on the movie's first song with a big war of approval from the church. The piano player, Cyrus celebrates until he locks eyes with Jacob, the important man in the chair, who's also his dad. Cyrus knows he's in trouble, and I have to say, if church was like this growing up, I would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, right, so fun.
Speaker 1: Back at home, he's hearing it from his mom and dad. When he was appointed choir leader, he was supposed to focus on praising the Lord. Jacob considers wrap the Devil's music, but as he heats up, Cyrus's mom, Gail, jumps into comment. Down Jacob makes his son promise that this will never happen. Again, is that still a thing even in twenty twelve people thinking that that there's the Devil's music.
Speaker 4: No, but I think I mean, in twenty twelve, rap was really really at I mean it was, it was everywhere, and a lot of times it has that negative undertone to I get that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that should have gone more like that than being like it was the Devil's music. That just seems like such a trip from there.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, but truly, I was in the state of Disney Channels doing a religious aspect of anything right in it right now, we haven't seen this at all.
Speaker 1: And talking about the Lord and talking about Jesus and yeah, yeah, really.
Speaker 4: Was like whoa, So, I mean they leaned into it. So I think already that was kind of a little like what to me? But I mean, yeah, it is a it's an old school one, but I think that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of what he was.
Speaker 4: They were stettying this church up to be. Was an old school type Baptist church.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jake makes his son promise it'll never happen again. Later that night, Cyrus is in his room working on beats while on the phone with a friend they'll see each other later that night at the club. Even though Cyrus isn't excited that Bling will be rapping tonight, he brags that he doesn't have to sneak out, but we quickly cut to him sneaking out of the house. Sabrina, Sabrina, did you ever sneak out of your house when you're a kid, when you're growing up?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, come on, I'm telling you out. No, I was too chicken. First of all, my mom is a ninja.
Speaker 4: Okay, so even like, even if I was downstairs on the couch with my boyfriend, all of a sudden, like she'd just be like hate.
Speaker 1: So she can write from behind the couch.
Speaker 4: Here's we're squeaky. You could hear everyone come. I don't know if she like slid down the banister or what, but she was a ninja.
Speaker 2: She scared the crap out of me.
Speaker 4: There was no way I was getting out of the house and being able to do anything like that. My friends would, and most of the houses, if it was two story, all the bedrooms are upstairs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, how do you like? Oh, I go out my thing, my and then hop down the garage. There's like a part where I can put my foot on the tree and.
Speaker 1: What exactly now, what maw no, no no. I distinctly remember. Of course I would sneak out, but it was usually just to go like sit on the roof and smoke a cigarette or something, because.
Speaker 2: A stay at your house to do that occasionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the biggest sneak out night was from Steve Soako's house when it was seventh or eighth grade, and we snuck out because that night Shannon Chipley told me she kissed me at a party they were having a sleepover, and then we went in the woods. Yeah, Shannon Shipley, we got lost in the woods and I never got that kiss because we were just then wandering the woods randomly, and then Steve Socko's mom caught us. It was a whole yeah, uh, it was a whole thing. But anyway, Uh. Cyrus tiptoes through the front yard, but then trips, making enough noise to concern his dad, who is reading in the living room. It's a close call, but Cyrus eventually hops onto his mo ped and makes it to Off the Street, which is a club that apparently does not check ideas because no one is twenty one, it has to be an under under eighteen clubs what I'm thinking, because I don't think they're serving alcohol.
Speaker 2: But it brings me to this ridiculous point with Disney.
Speaker 4: Why do they keep creating putting this figment, like this imaginative situation that there are clubs out there that will host parties without other without anyone's parent for like fifteen year olds.
Speaker 1: Don't they Isn't there they had those in LA. Weren't there under eighteen clubs? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But they never lasted because they're this I can't even imagine why.
Speaker 1: They I mean, it's there was a big one in LA that.
Speaker 2: It was called like one seven or something. I went to it. I know it was not great and it was just like it you.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to sneak into the real club, which you didn't do because you never did anything wrong, never broke a role in the entire life, did you agree?
Speaker 4: But don't you think how many times have we seen this that there's these like little club bop areas.
Speaker 2: And it's making kids all around the country.
Speaker 4: Think like, there's the things that happened that they just don't have access to and they don't exist.
Speaker 2: Disney stopped putting it in their heads.
Speaker 1: Let's go open one, let's go open.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. Are you kidding? Kids nowadays are crazy. I don't responsible for anything they're doing. They're like they just to smoke vaate pens.
Speaker 4: They'll do like it with like vanilla extrap They're not even just it's they're so rebellious.
Speaker 2: No, no, that is a big lawsuit.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait till your kids are teenagers.
Speaker 2: I know it's gonna be horrible.
Speaker 1: Cyrus then runs into talk about being in ninja. You're gonna have it all scoped out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Cyrus everywhere.
Speaker 1: Cyrus runs into Chris in the middle of the club, his best friends in kindergarten, who's telling two girls how great of a rapper he is. He just likes to keep it on the down low. We get a feeling that maybe he's not that great a rapper, but the girls are loving his riz anyway. Thank you Daniel Fisher for teaching me what that means. Once the girls are gone, Cyrus tells Chris they aren't his type. He's looking for a girl with some substance when he can take to the Lanta Jazz Museum. Chris is more concerned with the new beats, which Cyrus hands over. Then the club manager, Levi runs over and barks at Cyrus to bust some table. So he's got a secret night job, So is he is? He's literally sneaking out of his house every single night.
Speaker 2: To work at I don't know if it's every night, but it's often, and it's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna be the weekend nights. I imagine that's the only time these underage clubs are open. So he's probably sneaking out Friday and Saturday nights. I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: Well, they do mention later on that it's a Saturday night situation because that's why the kids.
Speaker 2: Aren't wanting to come to church.
Speaker 1: Church the next time, Remember, Levi gets on the mic and welcomes the crowd. They're gonna crown this month's rap king. They started with eight and now they're down to two. And first up his newcomer, De Boss. Although I personally had wish Bruce Springsteen was gonna pop out, it wasn't him. And now for their reigning champ month after month, Lord of to Bling, the entire club breaks into song, exclaiming the club is on fire and leading right into Deboss's scathing battle lyrics. And this is again where I was like, Okay, musical, but appropriate musical. They're on a stage, they're supposed to be singing here. They it makes sense. They all know the words, they all know the dances. It was like, it's not just like in the cafeteria.
Speaker 4: And even when there is a moment when he's, like I said, busting the tables and he's singing along with his.
Speaker 2: So it's you know, it's not the kind of stuff you hate.
Speaker 1: And I loved loved it. You did, You loved it? All right? Then let's I know because you.
Speaker 2: Hay, but I love I love it.
Speaker 1: But I'm just gonna sit here and justly, Hey, please made sense. It made sense. We're back to Deboss's scathing battle lyrics. He claims blings chain is fake, his hat is too small, and his breast smells bad. The crowd loves it, and everyone is still synchronized dancing. It's now Bling's turn, and he turns and he says that Deboss is poor, his pants are too tight and they should call him a ghost. The way he gets booed, and this is getting good in the crowd. We see Chris getting down with the moves and Cyrus is rapping to himself as we were talking about while busting the tables and frankly, his raps were better. He knows he could be a champ, but he's stuck with this job. He's working for minimum wage when he should be up there on stage. The song comes to a close and Levi, who says he gives the kids beats to keep them off the streets, proclaims Lord of the Bling has won again. While celebrating, Bling announces he'll be winning the Rap Grand Slam title this year as Cyrus watches on, wishing it was him, and once lorda to Bling is off stage, it gets even worse for Cyrus. He bumps into the champ, dropping a drink on his new shoes. Bling tries to shame Cyrus, but to a surprise, Cyrus stands up to him and he says his raps weren't that hot anyway. Bling is of course furious and starts battling Cyrus right there, but Cyrus still isn't impressed. Cyrus says Bling has some skill, but he ain't quote all that the rhymes unquote. Lord of to Bling hops back on stage and calls out rkle that's the bus pots, but he calls uh uh, Cyrus a little hack there on my friend Jalil a busboy to battle the crowd chants erkle, but Cyrus walks right out, leaving the crowd and Chris disappointed. On their walk home, where's his moped?
Speaker 2: Well, they've they're that was a Sabrina seas.
Speaker 4: But they're holding the helmets as if they rode that moped together and.
Speaker 1: Then just left.
Speaker 4: No, they must have parked it somewhere, because they're they purposely are holding the helmets to say, like they took that home.
Speaker 1: We just don't see them, can't everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: I don't know any teenagers that drive moped.
Speaker 1: So I drove a motor cycle. I love mopeds, but no, it's not the same. By the way, all these new electric bikes are just fancy ways of having mopeds. That's basically what was Yeah, so Chris says he knows that Cyrus has mad skills and dope. Why won't he just rap? Are you laughing because I'm saying things like mad skills and dope rimes? I'm trying to be sorry.
Speaker 2: Just mute my audio. I can't stop.
Speaker 1: You got a problem with me saying mad skills and dope rimes. Is that what's a huge problem? I'm sorry, do you have a problem with Come on, Serna, come.
Speaker 2: On sorry, I'm trying my rhyme screen.
Speaker 1: What's your problem? Oh my god? Okay, all right, so I have to say it again. Cyrus has mad skills and dope rhymes? Why won't he just rap? Cyrus doesn't know. It's just easier alone in his room. We are now back in the house and apparently not afraid to wake up his parents anymore. They turn on the TV to watch On the Beat, a show that claims to be the best urban music showcase on the planet. This is based, of course, on b ET's one oh six in Park. The hosts are interviewing Roxy, a singer that was in the same third grade class as Cyrus and Chris. They both think she's fine as hell. She is so pretty Coco Jones forever again, and I can't take your eyes off of her.
Speaker 2: They're not wrong, They're not wrong.
Speaker 1: Stunning, I mean just a stunning girl. And again, I know that's creepy to say, because she's probably like seventeen when she shot this movie. On the show, they talk about a group of critics that have been harsh on Roxy. They call her outfits too provocative, But again, what should she wear a parka? She's a singer, and by the way, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to what I think younger people should wear. And I didn't think she was wearing anything that was all that crazy in this movie.
Speaker 4: No, if anything needed to be toned down. It was like the brightness of color.
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 2: Can we get Can we get a neutral yere? Just a nice neutral color?
Speaker 1: Can we get brown? Can someone wear brown or a beige? Once?
Speaker 4: It's just one part of it?
Speaker 2: So much color?
Speaker 1: Seriously, But yeah, so I don't understand how she should address But she has big news that day. She's working with Atlanta Records on a contest where one amateur artist will get their song produced by her label and their own music video. She says, you just send in the song and a recent picture of yourself to enter. Cyrus announces he's going to enter and win, but Chris says that's impossible because he's gonna have the winning song, and they're very playful about this. That night, Cyrus already gets to work, retreating to his room and makeshift studio to produce a love rap called Don't Run Away. This kid apparently never sleeps. He's either working at the club, working at church, or producing his own music. And one lyric is you are what is that tetradacal fly? Am I saying that wrong? What's happening?
Speaker 2: I don't know? I know what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are a tetradacal fly. Apparently. He burns a song onto a disc and puts it in the mail, including a picture of him and Chris together. Dropping it in the mailbox, which is literally directly in front of his house, he steps out the front door and drops into the mailbox, so very well position. The next morning, he realizes that he's late for church, which is also directly next door to his house. He late is this kid doesn't have to go anywhere. His whole life is a total of ten steps and a few drives on his now lost mopen. He walks into the church late, opening a very squeaky door and interrupting his dad's sermon. Cyrus sits at the piano and listens to his dad, who goes on a tirade about loud music, high skirts, sagging pants, and rap music. He mentions that downtown rap club keeping their kids up too late for church the next day, and says he wouldn't allow his kid to go. He wants to stop hip hop and the most powerful grip it has on the youth. But little does he know his kid actually works there. Meanwhile, we see Roxy looking through contest entries while her road manager Lilah spots a bad headline regarding Roxy's voice. It says she depends on a vocoder which is auto tune too much, and it feels like Roxy might actually agree. While checking out tracks, Roxy has made it to Cyrus's song and recognizes Cyrus and Chris from their photos he sent. Roxy does find out about the critical headline and doesn't get why she's so picked on. Lila says it comes with being famous. But on better news, they've picked a contest winner. It's Cyrus and Chris. She says. He calls himself truth and he's making real, thoughtful music, which she loves. Lyla assumes it is, of course, the better looking Chris making the music and calls him Acutie. But oh no, they have the wrong guy because they think Cyrus looks like a dork, which is a shame. But it's also don't send in a picture of you with somebody else, just send in your photo.
Speaker 2: Yes, cut it that picture in half.
Speaker 1: Probably just put a picture of just you up. You gotta have a photo of just you, something like a I mean something. That night at Off the Street, the film crew from on the Beat. I don't know why the names had to rhyme, but they do shows up to announce a rapper name Truth from this Club won their contest. Lyle says he's never heard that name, but the TV host spots Chris and proclaims him the winner. Chris runs to Cyrus to celebrate, but Cyrus looks shocked. He didn't even hear Chris's song, but that doesn't change that he is in fact the winner, and now it's to meet pop star Roxy from back in the day. She arrives with Layla and hugs the boys. She says Chris looks great and Cyrus, while being very awkward, looks well the same as he did in third grade. Roxy congratulates Chris. She felt like that song might have been about her. Chris is a little confused but agrees. The crowd starts to chant Roxy's name, so she takes the stage to perform again, makes sense why there would be a song here. But even after a killer song on the show, she pushes the attention back to the contest winner. She says the MC's name finally, and that name is Truth. Truth. Wait, that's not Chris's rap name, that's Cyrus's name. Oh no, it's because the photo he sent in was of them both, and they assumed it was the more studley Chris. And then Lord of a Blaine. This guy finds a new target, Chris. He battles him, now calling him a garbage and a rookie. Rocky suggests that Truth doesn't even bring himself down a Bling's level. In turn, he starts battling Roxy, and Lilah quickly gets her out of the club. Hot take. Lord of the Blaine is the most talented musician in the movie. Yeah your nay, what do you believe? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I thought he was really good.
Speaker 1: He was great. He was great. I frankly thought he won the rap battle at the end. Why I was always so bad with these step up movies because I'd see the rival team and I'd be like, I think that one was rudder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've found out from this movie and I remember still sort of being confused in eight mile that I just don't really understand the voting process that happens within these battles.
Speaker 1: I am not sure. Yeah, I don't get it. Yell or yell louder, Yeah, the loudest yell.
Speaker 4: But if you just have the more most amount of people in the audience, like it's I don't know, I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: I don't either.
Speaker 2: There's no machine that like actually even like measures the level of loudness, Like I just know.
Speaker 1: Your Apple Watch will say loud environment, be careful. Maybe that was it. Chris then storms out too, and Levi tells Cyrus he can't believe Chris is now the King of Rap, but Cyrus tells the truth to his boss. The song was his. Cyrus decides to tell Rocky about to mix up himself, but he sees her posing for pictures with Chris and kissing him on the cheek. They seem to really be hitting it off, so Chris begs him not to tell her. He wants to see where things will go, even if it was all Cyrus's deep thoughts, so they need a plan. Cyrus says he'll teach Chris's flow and stay in the background as his DJ. They agree, and Chris is very optimistic until Roxy tells Chris he needs him to re record his song for the video shoot tomorrow, and that, of course creates quite a predicament. Did you meet cool rappers as a Cheetah Girl? You must have?
Speaker 2: I did. Actually, it was early on in the Cheetah days. That was my favorite meeting. Was Keeley and Adrian.
Speaker 4: Were still doing three O W, which was another girl group that was like a real girl group.
Speaker 2: This was back when The Cheetah Girls was just going to be a movie.
Speaker 4: There was no toxic right making a girl group out of it at that time, so they were in a real girl group, three l W. And they were filming while we were in the rehearsal process here in La. They were filming their music video for Never Get Enough, and they invited me to come and be on set with them, and Lil Wayne was.
Speaker 1: In the movie music videos favorite.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, and I just remember being so excited to go.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 4: We went after rehearsal and I got to sit around the thing and there was like a scene that they were thinking I would be joining them, but we never ended up filming it. Because they were focused on this you know, dance sequence that Chili had. Anyway, So I'm working for a Disney movie, right, working like you know, squeaky clean whatever. And then there's I'm on now a music video of like with big Rappers, right, Lil Wayne and his whole posse's in this trailer that they have and I just happened to be walking right by it, going with the girls from hair and makeup to set, and the trailer door flies open because Little Wayne's gonna come out and do his performance, and it was.
Speaker 2: Like the biggest bust of smoke just like pillows out and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get can tack Hi Like there's no way, Like, oh, I'm gonna drive tonight, Like I was so worried because it was so thick that just billowed out and it was just like wow, Like this is a different world than what I'm gonna be filming in Toronto.
Speaker 1: You are such a rule follower, you don't even want to walk through somebody else's cloud, don't.
Speaker 2: Well, it just like tackled me. I wasn't ready for it. I mean, I knew he.
Speaker 4: Was there, and I obviously know like about that, But I just in me thinking a kid actor too, thinking like you're on set.
Speaker 2: Of course they wouldn't be doing that on set. This is like a professional environment. What I did the rap world was not meant for Suprin Bright. I mean something that I was ever going to get into.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my favorite one.
Speaker 1: Lil Wayne. Lil Wayne is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now the next morning, the boys make their way to a professional recording studio. Chris is scared because Roxy and Laila will be in the studio and see that Cyrus is actually rapping it, but Lila interrupts them practicing in an elevator. Roxy and the engineer are running late. This is great news for Chris. He says he wants to work alone with Cyrus, his DJ slash engineer. Cyrus says he's half the price of her engineer, so of course she approves the idea. With Laila out the way, Cyrus gets the song, but mid session, Roxy arrives, so Cyrus quickly has to hide, but it works as Roxy flirts with Chris, who she thinks, of course is truth, even offering him a song on her next album, but she wants to hear him freestyle first. Oh, no, Chris panics she wants intelligent and romantic lyrics. He starts by rapping about having babes in every city, and she is, of course not feeling it. He pretends he was joking, and Cyrus saves the day. He grabs a mic and starts whispering into it, playing only into Chris's headphones, which are actually around his neck and probably very hard to hear, but it was a cool way to do it either way. He feeds him the lines, all deep and love infused, totally impressing Roxy. Cyrus knows they can't keep this up, though, but he pops up and performs for her in the dark in the vocal booth, covering his face, pretending to be Chris for a new song, you Belong to Me. She says it's the most beautiful song she's ever heard. She comes into the booth to see him, and the boys switch spots. It's all working. She's about to kiss Chris, but Cyrus interrupts with an engineering question. Oh yeah, I gotta let's call it rap blocking for this, okay? Is that better? Is that easier for you to deal with? Because what's it? What's it? Normally called to brine? I can't remember what's the normous?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh huh cheos Wow, it's called Later at church, Cyrus is late for his choir practice. His mom had covered for him, but the group wants more hip hop inspired jams. His dad is nearby, though, and shares his disapproval, so no guyce. We are now back at the studio. Roxy stops by to see Cyrus working on a new track for her and Chris, and when Chris arrives, he wants to hear the song too. Cyrus lays out his vision. He thinks it'll be like the Beatles, all you need is love, even though what we end up hearing is absolutely nothing like that. Chris pretends to like the Beatles, and he says his favorite album is the greatest Hits album. Either way, the song is coming together, and Lilah thinks Truth is the next big star. She also reveals that Roxy is gonna headline the Grand Slam, but Roxy isn't so sure this is a good idea because they usually book more traditional singers, not the ones who use the auto tuning vocoder. I think it's called the vocoder, by the way, I'm probably wrong with all this hip lingo, but I'm doing my best. Later that day, at off the Street, Cyrus is greeted by an angry Levi. Cyrus missed work last night and it was a full house. Levi also asked if he's told Roxy the truth yet. Cyrus explains the whole switchero thing that they're doing, and Levi is not impressed. He suggests telling her the truth, but Cyrus doesn't want to sell out as best friend. But Levi sees right through this, this is just an excuse to avoid being rejected himself. Cyrus says Chris has the swagger for Roxy, but Levi says he just needs to speak for himself. How can anyone call themselves truth when they're living one big lie? Very good question and a good line. We are now alone in the club. Cyrus surveys the scene leading into our next song. It becomes a bit of a montage Cyrus cleaning, performing writing new lyrics, and his parents cuddling on the couch. For some reason, we make no sense. I'm guessing this is one of the ones he would have cut. Would you cut this one?
Speaker 4: This one could have I think it was like a six minute song and it could have been cut down before.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like Indigota de Vito or Stairway to Heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like, okay, all right, Oh we're still going.
Speaker 1: Okay, We're still Oh We're still We're still going. Then Roxy's limo pulls up. Chris is late for their date, but she hears music coming from inside. She enters to see Cyrus performing, and she cannot believe what she's seeing. He sounds just like Chris.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Cyrus pretends he was just lip syncing, and she buys it. Chris flakes on her, and now she's stranded and starving, so Cyrus suggests they eat together, which ends up being a perfect time to share his thoughts with Roxy. He thinks the vocoder she uses is cool, it's on trend, but he also encourages her to show off her real voice. He remembers Roxy singing in church. She can do it, even if Lylah advises her not to do it. Later, Cyrus and Roxy are eating some barbecue in the rain and talking music. Cyrus likes all kinds, even opera, Roxy too. Roxy admits they seem to have way more in common than she does with Chris, and there I thought these were all very sweet scenes between the two of them. They really have had some great chemistry they did, and they just it was a wonderful kind of a relationship to watch. On their walk home, they stumble, as you do often, onto a rap battle and the first guy looks a lot like Theo Vaughn. Roxy and Cyrus are impressed when the rapper revelation wins, and when it's time for the new competitors step up, King of de bling Oh takes the mic and sees Roxy with Cyrus. But before battle, he does this guy's everywhere. He's like your mom when you're trying to sit with your boyfriend. He makes fun of the geek she's with, and Cyrus, as usual, wants to avoid all conflict. Eventually, Cyrus pulls Roxy away and they let the Cipher get back on track. On their way home, Roxy says she should visit their church one day. It would be great to see his parents. And the next day we're at church again and Roxy does just that. She shows up in a very shiny gold jacket and causes quite a stir amongst the congregation, especially Cyrus, who's happy to see her. He convinces her to sing with the choir for a song called good to Be Home. There's no vocoder on her now, and she sounds amazing. Once finished, Cyrus's dad, Oh, I couldn't believe this begins. This is oh, I was like irrationally angry, begins his sermon, mentioning that a few at the service have lost their way. They may have been raised with God, but they walked with the devil now and only come back when it's convenient. It's obviously he's talking about Roxy. He mentions hipocrisy or more like hip hopci see hip hop hip hop hip hoprisy, more like hip hopy? Can you wait to do it again?
Speaker 2: Hip hop?
Speaker 1: Hip hop? Hip hop ocracy? Hip hop ocrasy there hip hop hop see it's hard. Roxy starts crying and rightfully so, being called out at church after just see.
Speaker 4: She's like a teenagers yep, I was so mad.
Speaker 1: I nobody puts Roxy in a corner and then storms out. Later that night at the reverend's house, his wife obviously feels the way Sabrina and I do and says he'll be sleeping on the sofa tonight after what he did to poor Roxanne. Jacob defends his actions. She's what's wrong with music today, but her wife is still disgusted with him. The next morning, Cyrus leaves for some quote unquote Errand's and Gail reads in the newspaper that Roxy's new rap artist is filming a music video in town today. This could be the perfect time for Jacob to go and apologize to her. Then we're over at the club. The video shoot has begun. Roxy arrives to fanfare, and Cyrus quickly apologizes to her for what his dad did. She says he's entitled opinion, but Cyrus argues it was wrong and unfair. Good for you, Cyrus, yes. When Chris arrives, Roxy invites him to a Middle Eastern art exhibit that night, but America's Funniest Home Videos is having a four hour marathon, and he says he can't miss the dancing baby you can tell. This obviously irritates Cyrus. Once inside the club, Lata says she's convinced the Grand Slam to let Chris perform with Roxy. He's excited, but again this irritates Cyrus, especially when it's revealed that there is a no lip sync policy. He'll need to rap live. Cyrus pulls Chris aside, how's he gonna do this. He has no clue but assume Cyrus will come up with something. That's all he's saying. He's like, you'll figure it out. He's already looking forward to having a hit song and going on tour because then he'll be around all kinds of honeys. Oh, he's trying not to be tied down. Cyrus asks about Roxy. He says that she's good for now, and again you'll be shocked to hear that. Cyrus is once again irritating. Chris Lip syncs to the Truth song for the video and actually kind of kills it. Am I right? Dancing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The video? It was good, It was good. Yeah. Well. Roxy is impressed with Truth, but admits to Cyrus that their relationship kind of sucks. Maybe she's not the girl he deserves, which I was like, wait, huh, Cyrus has disturbed that she thinks she's not good enough for him. Yes, Cyrus, She rolls her eyes. Just as Reverend Jacob enters looking for Roxy, he earnestly apologizes to Roxy, and again, even in this apology, the gravitas that Courtney b Vance had as an actor, even the apology like shut up the whole room, and he's just got this presence when he's on stage. That was just it was awesome anyway. So he's apologizing to Roxy and then once he's done that, he turns his attention to Oh, his son, What is he doing here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Then? Levi walks in and asks for Cyrus's help cleaning up the place. Oh wow, now this is bad. His dad knows that he works there, which still seems like it had been a very tough secret to keep. He's been working there for years, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jacob of course feels disrespected by his son and demands his son come home with him right now. But Cyrus finally stands up and just says no. And again it's the quiet dad. He turns around and just says, like, excuse me. Jacob is shocked. Cyrus is not willing to let down Levi. Jacob says they'll deal with this later and leaves. Even I got a chill. I was like, yeah, oh, it's the quiet dad, Like we'll talk about this later, like oh geez. Back at home, Jacob returns and tells his wife he apologized to Roxanne. She's happy to hear it, but then reveals what he learned about Cyrus. Gale admits she knew about it all along, which also angers the reverend yikes. And then guess what. Cyrus arrives home on his moped. He got it back. Whoo, three cheers for the moped. That's the real movie here, by the way, is what happened to his mopen. He is greeted by his mom and dad on the patio, and his dad is more than just a little upset. He's disappointed again as the he says he failed a test from Jesus. Cyrus declares he's a songwriter, but Jacob doesn't care. He is forbidden from re entering the club, and once Jacob goes inside, Gil lets her husband have it. What does it matter what type of music he's into, it is his passion. The next morning, while leaving the house, Cyrus spots an ad for Truth on a taxi cab. That's a very fast promotional department considering they just shot it yesterday. But the bigger news is who's driving the cab. It is Lorda to blame. We just get a quick glimpse of that. We then enter a montage Chris is sworn by fans on the street. Truth has a number one hit on the charts, and he's with Roxy on TV. We also see Jacob stumble onto his son's lyric book. The next morning, while Cyrus is writing new stuff, someone is there to see him. It's Roxy. She wanted to check in on him. Very sweet, and reveals Lord of to Blame made the finals of the Grand Slam. She also needs relationship advice, she says the lyrics. Chris writes a write up a rally, but in person he just feels very, very different. They end up in a record store and connect on even a deeper level on old school music and tracks that they love. He wants her to sound more like this stuff. She has her own suggestion, maybe he turned on his mic and stop lip syncing. Good advice, and then they almost kiss, but Roxy snaps out of it. Chris is taking her to a jazz museum, which was Cyrus's dream date. He's now stealing this whole kid's life. But before she can leave, she thanks Cyrus for just being there for her. It's like, you're like my brother, and Pat's my list.
Speaker 2: I'm in the friend zone so hard. Oh oh man, no available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like new Kids on the Block. It was rough. Thank you I'm glad you got that. Later, Cyrus decides to visit the club. It is the night before the Grand Slam, and Chris is chatting with a bunch of honeys. Yes that's right, I said it one again, I said it. Yes. One girl is so excited that he'll be singing live tomorrow, which makes visibly nervous, and that's when Cyrus arrives. He is on a mission. He asks how the Jazz Museum date was, thank you, and Chris quickly pulls him away from the other ladies. Cyrus is not happy. He accuses Chris of not having an original idea in his body and is mad that he's playing with Roxy's emotions. Chris fights back, they're both in this together. It's been that way from the start. But Cyrus prish's back again. Chris couldn't wrap a present with a bow and some scotch tape. Everyone in the club is starting to pay attention. Chris calls him a hater, which, let's be honest, is kind of true. Chris adds that Cyrus is one of the best rappers he's ever heard, yet he's scared to be himself. He has no guts or heart and then they start fighting, like a physical fight. I know I sucked a couple things that happen in this movie that were like what, Yeah, they start fighting. Levi breaks it up and tells him to go home and get their mind right, or don't come back at all. He does not allow fighting in his club. Cyrus tells Chris he's on his own tomorrow, and Chris says he doesn't need anyone anyway. That night, Gail leaves the local newspaper on her sun's bed. It's ever tizing tomorrow's grand Slam. Cyrus catches her on the way out and decides to tell her the truth. He's truth. He tells her the story It admits he can't just leave his best friend alone on stage. He'll be humiliated beyond belief. She asks what he's gonna do about it, but he doesn't know yet. The next day, Reverend Jacob wants to know where his son is off to. Cyrus knows he's on punishment, but today is important for his friend and he can't miss it, And instead of being mad, his dad says he knows about the show and he's been reading his lyrics. Once he got past the fact that there were rap songs. He loved the message of caring, sacrifice, and devotion good Christian values. Maybe he's been too harsh and he's sorry. Another very nice scene they hug in the front yard as Gail watches on with a smile. His parents say they're running late and they're going to the show too. Cyrus is shocked, but sure is is the rap show in the morning? When's the rap show? Like?
Speaker 2: So what it's seeming like?
Speaker 4: And that felt so awkward because most of everything else with this club has been during the night time.
Speaker 1: When he has to sneak out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so why? I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess it's a separate thing in the club that they're doing. Maybe they want to hold their regular hours.
Speaker 1: At eleven A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't make sense at all.
Speaker 1: It didn't, But anyway, I guess, no matter what, we're gonna have to shoot it during the day. So no matter what time of day it is, tons of people are at the club for the Grand Slam. Lilah is with Roxy, who is dressed actually like an insane person. She's in big silver boots now matched with a blue leotard, a pink wig, and see through balls taped all over the top. Roxy decides she cannot hide behind the gimmicks anymore. She wants people to know the real hurt. She loves Lilah, but she's done with it. She's starting fresh tonight, Thank god, because that was rough. Chris is on in five minutes and he's nervously running in and out of his dressing room I imagine, horribly vomiting. And that's when Cyrus shows up. Cyrus says he would never leave his friend high and dry, and they hug. They apologize to each other, and Chris admits he's jealous, he's not truth. He also admits that Roxy should be with Cyrus. They decide tonight is the night to make it right. Yeah, that's right. I'm gonna throw on some rap when I can. They're eventually interrupted by the Lord of to blaying this mother, being his normal cocky self, calling them both but this guy just keeps popping up. I know he does. It's just like, oh there is again, calling them both busters. Chris calms Cyrus down and tells him to focus on what he came here to do. And by this point I was seriously like he would pop up and be like, come on this guy again, right, now I know he was supposed to be there, but still, it's almost time for the Grand Slam Battle Finals Revelation versus Lord of to Blame. Backstage, Cyrus is hyping himself up. He needs to just tell Roxy the truth, and that's when he sees her. She's ditched all the pop star gimmicks. She looks like the church girl he remembers, and he loves it. And before the battle it's time for Rocks Truth to perform. She comes out, guns blazing with a new song and the crowd loves it. Backstage, Lylah asked Chrisphy's ready to go on stage, and he says yes, But then he turns and hands the mic to Cyrus. Whoa, And as the track continues, out walks the real truth. Cyrus. Roxy's figured it all out too, and she seems really mad, right, so missed and should be. She weaves her emotions into the lyrics of the song. I guess was he playing her weight? Were these now the original lyrics of the song that just really work with what's happening or she making them up as they go. I don't know which one it is.
Speaker 4: I think that this is the part where you would kind of start turning towards like how you normally do with musicals, and it seemed as if they were trying to play in like they were both riffing through song.
Speaker 1: Like right, But Kocoaye nothing wrong. So it worked perfectly and it was the best thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was Okay.
Speaker 1: So, as I've always said to you from the beginning of this podcast, I love when people just randomly break into song like this, and when Coco does it, it works perfectly. That's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Sarru's either starts rapping or making it up as he's going along now too, explaining he did it for her and that he's sorry. He wants the truth, and he says she's all he ever wanted. Now again, it all fits perfectly in the song. He gets down on his knees and apologizes, but she runs off. But the crowd, of course loves the song, so I guess that's a good thing. The emc of the night ask the crowd to give it up for Roxy and Truth or whoever that guy was, which is very funny. And now it is battle time. Backstage, Christ and Cyrus sprint to Roxy's dressing room. She immediately and this was another big first for Disney slaps Cyrus. She slaps him in the face and calls them one big lie. I've never seen Disney.
Speaker 4: Slap around the Burbig building of Disney Child. This is a first. I don't even know if we'll ever see another one hit.
Speaker 2: It was a great slap by. It was done so well. But I literally went, oh, what she hit him? You would never expect that. The most we get is what we've seen before where they're pushing. Even this movie was a lot more of an aggressive push than.
Speaker 4: We've seen most full in the face, straight slap in the face, like, yep, I had some heat on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. Seriously, She says he is one big lie. Cyrus says it's all his fault. He should have been up front. He just knew he wasn't a hot guy. But she says it wasn't about his looks. It was about his words and being real. But it wasn't really. Yeah, it was kind of.
Speaker 2: She's kind of lying there, because let's be honest.
Speaker 4: Rocks Chris, Yeah, you like Chris because he's the hot one.
Speaker 1: That was your fault and you put and you put him right in the friend category right away. You're right, so you weren't you know, you weren't part You weren't totally innocent in this as I guess, No, you were not.
Speaker 2: Let's just own what we've done. Let's just own what we've done.
Speaker 1: Yep. But she says none of this was real and she doesn't want to have anything to do with either of them. She leaves without even handing out the battle trophy. So they give it to Cyrus and he has to give it out and go and crown the winner. So we're back on stage. Lord of to Bling becomes the new Grand Slam champ. H so True Lord of the Bling, so Truth aka Cyrus must hand over the title. But Blin can't believe what he's seeing. Why is this bus boy holding the trophy? The crowd erupts. Cyrus ignores the dis and congratulates him. Very stand up guy. But Bling isn't done. He tells Cyrus to polish it for him and calls him baby Ruth, and that's when Cyrus hits his breaking point. He says Bling doesn't deserve the trophy. He's not good enough. Lord of to Bling challenges him to battle rap and Cyrus accepts it is on. Blink starts off, calling him a loser that's never kissed a girl, and that's when we see Roxy is in the crowd. She's still there. Bling attacks Cyrus's dad, who's also there. It seems like nothing's off limits, and then it ends with Lord of to Bling telling Truth to go get his mop, and then it's Cyrus's turn. He's confident. He's calling him a horse without a saddle. He's telling him to skidaddle, which doesn't feel very hip hop at all. But we are now back to Bling. He's back on the attack, calling Cyrus a lightweight who should be in high heeled shoes. He ends his verse by throwing money at Cyrus, telling him to go buy a new outfit. Even Levi, who's watching on thinks that was a good one, and then Cyrus's final verse begins. He says Bling doesn't have a stack of cash or a flashy pad. He actually saw him last week driving a cab. What the secret's out, So if anyone needs a ride of the airport, call Lord of de Bluff. Cyrus throws the money back at him, calling it a tip. He says Blin can keep the trophy that he doesn't deserve. He might just be a bus boy. But you just got served bail. So lesson learn don't drive a cab or you'll lose a rap battle. By the way, this is where I realized I had no idea what was going on, because I thought Lord de Blinge was better and then Cyrus, I'm not. I don't know if I'm wrong, but I thought it was better.
Speaker 2: I don't know who they need to know what the rules are with the voting.
Speaker 1: I know there aren't any get it, you know me though I don't care about rules. Yes, the way it is. Truth is crowned the new Grand Slam champ, but Roxy still leaves without saying a word. Now outside and Worth noting it might still be morning. I'm confused about the time of day when the event happened. We don't know what's happening now. In a limo, Chris runs up to the window and asks for just a minute of her time. She agrees, and he apologizes. Cyrus did everything for him. Chris was the one who said they should tricker. If it's real that she's looking for, it is Cyrus. Lila says they have to go, and Roxy drives off. It's now Sunday morning again ish or still we don't know what's happening time wise. This is where the time gets really weird. So the event was before church or it was the next day, Sabrina, can you help me with this? Do you know what it was?
Speaker 4: I couldn't figure it out either because it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess it was that early, because it definitely wasn't at nighttime when she was leaving, So I guess.
Speaker 1: And Chris, we then see him. Is he wearing the same outfit that he wore at the Grand Slam? He is, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, And she wasn't wearing the same outfit she was wearing in the right.
Speaker 1: Was it a twenty four hour rap battle? What happened?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not sure it happening was a little weird.
Speaker 1: I agree, yeah, it was confusing. So yes, so he's wearing the same outfit at the Grand Slam. He stops Cyrus and his family on their way into church. He wants to join them. Reverend Jacobs thrilled, he who was lost is now found, and that's when they see it, a limo pulling up. So it has to be the same day then, because she's in the limo still, but she had.
Speaker 2: The limo everywhere. That's the only transportation.
Speaker 1: You're right, it's okay, it's it's the timing was confusing. Yeah, And there she is. It's Roxy, looking beautiful for church. She introduces herself to Cyrus as Roxanne, Andrews may he remembers her from elementary school. He says he does, and it's nice to see her again. They embrace and we fade into the church, where Cyrus and Roxy are now performing an upbeat gospel track about being yourself called let It Shine. The church goers and even Reverend Jacob love it. Chris pops and locks in the aisle, eventually joining them on stage. The song comes to a big finish. We even see Lila in the audience. We freeze on Cyrus and Roxanne arm in arm, and then we get some bloopers. It's a classic pcom trope, but it's just a few alternate takes from Nicole Sullivan calling Cyrus other names like Cyclone and Sinus. And that is our movie, Sabrina. Let's do some real reviews. We know what we thought about it, but what did other people think about it? And I think this week, You've got the one star.
Speaker 4: I've got the one star. My one star review comes from Bryce f. The thumbnail on Disney Plus looks ugly. Hey Bryce, thank you that that's not even a but okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, you know when you're leaving a review, Bryce, maybe roll the dice because I'm sorry. I'm still in my rap phase. I've now got I have two rap videos Outrina. That's not even a joke. I have, so I kind of know what I'm doing. I'm kind of a big deal. In the wrap, i have a five star review from Taylor S. And it says this is the greatest movie of all time. It changed me for the better as a person. I was disgusting before this, Taylor s. There's a lot lot going on under that. It's that's like at the pod the light.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you have found the light.
Speaker 1: And now we are coming to our favorite portion. Well Sabrina's favorite portion of the podcast. That is our featured game of the week. The game this week is called the Government Name Game. So by the end of let a Chine, we know that Truth's real name is Cyrus DeBarge. It was quite a journey to get to that point. But facts are facts. We will get five birth names, and we have to decide from multiple choice what aliases they took to rock the mic. So, for example, if we're given Marshall Mathers, that's Eminem Again, that was gonna be I know me too, because that would have been the only one I would have known. If we get three out of five, we win, all right, So here we go number one and I'm sure, Oh, Producer Jensen just loved this. Number one, Earl Simmons. Is the name? Is that a notorious Big B, Mystical, c DMX or D Vanilla Ice.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think I have my answer.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna go with D Vanilla Ice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know it's not Vanilla Ice, so you've already got one wrong. I'm going with c DMX.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the one I was really gonna go for.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling she's gonna say that after every one of them, this is CX.
Speaker 1: I got one, yes, okay, because I knew it wasn't notorious big I've never heard of mystical, and I knew it wasn't Vanilla Ees. Number two, we've got George Albery Stone. The third? Is that a chief Keif, b E STG, c Redman or D Vanilla Ice. Oh my god, I'll pick first this time. The only two I've never heard of A or B, So I'm gonna say it's c Redman.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going with.
Speaker 3: Two, that's Reggie. No, so it's B E, s TG es TG.
Speaker 1: Okay, Serena. Have you heard of the STG?
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: Jensen knows every rapper that has ever rhymed two words together, even if they did it in their bathroom when they were twelve. He knows every single one of them.
Speaker 4: Just so you know.
Speaker 3: Listen, Normally I would know if a kid drops some mixtape and boise, but these are big names.
Speaker 2: They are big names.
Speaker 1: EStG and and Chief Keif are two big rappers.
Speaker 3: Listen, you are you are? You are a boomer at heart. But Keith and E s TG very big?
Speaker 1: Ye Okay, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I've heard of Chief Keif, but I haven't heard that number three.
Speaker 1: Jacques Webster. Is that A Travis Scott, B Fat Joe C. Little Webby or De Vanilla Ice? Doesn't Travis Scott just rhyme rap under Travis Scott. Oh no, I'm saying, oh, they picked traviscot. Ah, I'm gonna say, well, I mean Webster and Webby, but that'd be three seasons. I'm going to say, be fat Joe.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go see a little Webby.
Speaker 3: It is a Travis Scott. To be honest, I also was, as much as I know so much, I did kind of forget that he just picked a normal human name as his rap name.
Speaker 1: Okay, Number four, Clifford Smith, is that a method man? B L O Cool j C two Chains or Vanilla Ice? Heard of all four? Now at this point, is it all right?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with a method man.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with method man two.
Speaker 3: Glifford is method man.
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 3: Will second?
Speaker 1: This is this is a big ender here, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, no, no, I got red Man. You got red Man.
Speaker 3: It wasn't Man's name.
Speaker 1: Reggie, Yeah, Reggie, No, it wasn't Redman. It was E. S. T. G. And now number five, damn you're gonna pick first, Sabrina. Robert van Winkle? Is that a kid Cutty b Action Bronson Ce little Bowow or Vanilla Ice?
Speaker 2: Vanilla Ice?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 3: It is d Will Weasels his way in the three really good two. And I only knew he'd get Vanilla ice. That is to his that's his.
Speaker 4: Wheelhoup, that's option for every.
Speaker 3: Doesn't do in the back of his mind. He's like once Robert.
Speaker 1: Van Win, I had to stop collaborate and listen. Okay, I need to know what was going on. Well, thank you once again, Producer Jensen for making it so much fun. And now can we do some sabrinases?
Speaker 2: Yes we can.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about the religious portion of this of this movie, which is obviously not what we're normally used to with Disney. This isn't something we've come across so far anyway. And I did think that they did an interesting way of doing it without saying Jesus a ton, God a ton like. They didn't do that, they but they did it in an interesting way to like tiptoe around it by spelling g oh D.
Speaker 2: So they weren't saying God, but they were like.
Speaker 1: Spelling it out.
Speaker 2: I thought they did, like to where it wasn't too much in your face.
Speaker 4: You got the idea of where this background of this family comes from, but it wasn't you know, based on that even everything around, like if you were looking at the set. There wasn't a lot of like crosses and like things like that on the set. It was still just very like Plaine. You understood where they were without it being like shoved down someone's throat, which I thought was great for Disney because it opens up this world without it feeling like it's also being pushed on on anything. So Disney always does stuff like that, so well they Okay, so if there was a drinking game with this movie, it would have to be every time you saw a freaking fedora.
Speaker 2: There were so many of.
Speaker 4: These hats in year it started to irritate the crap.
Speaker 2: Out of me.
Speaker 4: That and all of the pieces of hair, and you know, sometimes like they like with things that are considered edgy, and at the channel least, when my experience was it was like that was for me, like let's have her hair really blonde and then put some chunky dark pieces in it and throw on a spiky belt. Ooh, she's edgy now, and give her one glove, not too just one. She's an edgy girl. Like That's what it was. And this was for some reason to be in the rap world. It was like, let's throw in color in their hair. Okay, wear wigs all the time, Like it was just kind of and Papa Fedora on anyone that we could. And even if it wasn't the main actors wearing fedoras, there was someone in the background somewhere on that set.
Speaker 1: By the way, not to interrupt, but you just picked my rap name. I'm going to be Papa Fedora from now on. That is my awesome name.
Speaker 2: That's a really good one.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh. Some of the things that they were saying that was just kind of funny with you know, like I said the vocoder or whatever and then saying like, oh, I'm going to put you on my next CD, Like no one says that. Well, when I was in it was always like my next album, Well keep saying CD. There was a lot of funny like little lingos that didn't seem that great and then what was it? And then again, I we just got to shed some more life on that slap because that shocked me too.
Speaker 1: Violence.
Speaker 4: It was a violent, violent moment that I don't know if it was warranted.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's why it shocked me so much, but it was just like wow, and it was a connect I don't even I mean it seemed like there might have been a bad day on the set that day.
Speaker 1: She just let it and she's like, oh, I can't wait to be able to hit him. Yeah, shining it up.
Speaker 4: Damn it was Yeah, she cracked him, cracked him. Anyway, I had to say, that had to be talked about, and that was all my Sabrina say.
Speaker 1: This week, Thank you so much. And now, of course we have to rate our film. Uh, we're gonna do five as the best, seven is the worst. Oh, two is middle. No, we're gonna do one is the worst, ten being the best, and our options this week, and you get to pick this week, Smrina. We've got one out of ten, King of the Blings one out of ten, and pterodactyl flies. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: It's no taridactyl.
Speaker 1: There, No, that's not what it is. Tetradactyl. Tetradactyl. I don't think it's pterodactyl anyway. Uh, don't pick that one, please, because it's too hard to say. One out of ten mailboxes right outside your house, one out of ten abandoned mopeds, one out of ten, honeys of America's Funniest home video marathons one out of ten fast promotion departments, lose your cab drivers, or one out of ten skid. What do you want to pick for this week, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I think we got to add in fedoras just because they.
Speaker 1: Okay, picket should we do misplaced Fedoras? Misplaced Fedoras? I love it. I think am I going first this week?
Speaker 2: You're going first this week?
Speaker 1: I am going first this week. And I really liked this movie. I liked the cast. I like that it was a little long. I thought they could have been trimmed, but I liked the cast. I thought the music was appropriate. Again, it's like, hey, everyone's breaking in a song because they're supposed to performances. So I liked all that stuff. This is gonna get a high number for me. This is getting eight point five wow, placed for doors for me. I really enjoyed this movie, really enjoyed the cast. Yeah, this was a fun hundred and four minutes for me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I agree, I did. I liked the movie.
Speaker 4: I started to sway here and there again because of the link there was between his song that you had mentioned of when he was bussying the tables and whatever and that one she stumbles into between that one, and then although I loved the song, it was when she got back out to which she was at the church again for the first time before she got reamed by the reverend.
Speaker 2: That song.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to see in my notes what it was called, because I know I wrote it down, but I can't find it.
Speaker 2: Between those two songs. Although I love that song, it just was long.
Speaker 4: So those moments for me started making me kind of a little out of tune and not caring as much. But really that was the biggest critique I had. Other than that, I thought the actors were amazing too. You know, not every song did I love, but there were definitely songs that I did.
Speaker 2: And then just I loved again.
Speaker 1: I love seeing a new location that was so fun, and it looked Atlanta looked great.
Speaker 2: Looked amazing like I thought.
Speaker 4: Visually all of the sets were so great too, and I again the cast carried this into great places for me. So I'm giving this an eight misplaced medoras.
Speaker 1: Okay, and kind of on the same page there, Yes, yeah, that is awesome. Well, thank you so much for joining us for this great movie. Let it Shine, and what a fun movie. If you want to see people singing when they're supposed to. This is one I would absolutely recommend. Our next movie is another Paul howand joint. It is two thoy thirteen's Let It Shine to Cyrus's Moped. I'm kidding it is two thousand and nine Dad Napped, with some very familiar decom names involved. So we were looking forward to that one. But before we hear that, this week we've got a park hopper, perfect to listen to well bowling or dancing to some swing music. We got to chat with Mimmy Paley, who, though now grown up and has kids of her own, was the adorable little girl in our recently reviewed Ali Cat Strike, and we hear all about her time filming around strikes and spares. So why don't we get a little bit of a preview of what we're in for.
Speaker 5: There was a period of time where like I'd be in a volleyball game and like my opponents, you know, on the other side of the net, We're like, like that's the you know, like that or my parents. I went to sleep away camp and they were sending me video. Well they you couldn't send videos on a phone then, but they had taken videos or pictures of people trying to do like the bowling move. It became this phenomenon and I was like, I don't know her stamp like it's a Disney Channel movie, but I didn't know that they played these movies like five times a day every yes, yeah, er month, So like I'd had no idea what I was in for.
Speaker 1: There is no way you should miss that. It was really a ton of fun to hear just about how she got into the business and her strange connection with not only Sabrina but also Ben and Fred Savage. Yes, go check that one out. Make sure you subscribe to our dedicated Magical Rewind feed on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more info, of course, you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 2: Bye everybody, Bye,