Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich Podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for Conveno on Rich at foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app like searching FSR. Hey, alright, hope all your team's won this weekend. Hope you enjoyed the divisional round. Hope you had a Bronco Seahawks Pats Rams sort of weekend. I mean this weekend's football games. We're an ass sandwich?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks about it?
Speaker 1: Would you say about as sandwiches? First game, last game? Yummy? Yummy? Sounds good. I think I'll have one middle games ass.
Speaker 2: Hey, unless you're a Seahawks fan, or unless you're a Patriots fan, I guess right. Not a Bill's forty nine ers, Texans Bears heartbreakers sort of weekend. Happy Martin Luther King Day. We're gonna turn your MLK Day into a suitet MLK nineties. You never met dot Martin Luther the King, Doctor mart Luther King. I'm Covino, that is Rich, and we be rocking out. Let's go another week yeah, football, You gotta having a I love it Sean McDermott type of morning. But we're gonna get to that. We're gonna get to everything that happens this week. Sauce on your weekend. We know, saus with that ass sandwich. We're broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. If you miss any of today's show, any show ever you want to catch the podcast, search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and our best of the Week is there, Best of the day is there. Danny g always hard at work posting our podcast rate at five stars because anything less is uncivilized.
Speaker 1: But you know what it's all about. The YouTube channel right now.
Speaker 2: We're streaming live, so check us out live now or later, like your favorite candy back in the eighties, Rich now or later always thought it was like a bootleg Starburst. Now laters are the best, never never removing your cavities. So YouTube dot com, slash Covino and Rich FSR. We're streaming live. The chat is popping already Kay Rain and Joey Elbows and Wes and Matt already there talking smack and we're gonna give away prizes today. Last one standing my three least favorite words. It's a very intense game. But first and first, mostly welcome, Rich Davis. Sorry about your forty nine ers. We're gonna talk about that. Danny G super producing at eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. We got Iowa Sam. That's a loud shirt you're wearing right now. I don't have my glasses on, but it looks very colorful.
Speaker 1: It's from Spain.
Speaker 3: It's my second watermelon shirt.
Speaker 1: It's fun. Yeah, that's Iowa Sam. You got it.
Speaker 2: You know what in Spain, if you didn't want to see our stupid faces, you have to tune in just to see Sam's shirt. He wore it for a reason, so please watch in public. Coveno and Rich FSR. He made that choice for you. Fox Sports Radio Nation Covino and Rich FSR. Spotty's on the videos. Dan Byer, the belated birthday boy, is here, the twelfth Man himself. Yes, congrats to his Seahawks. I was thinking about you, Dan Byer. I want you to know I was so sick over the weekend. I didn't even go to Riches for the big Watch party.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: That's a that's quite the sickness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm not really down with the sickness.
Speaker 5: I like when I said to rich I go yeah, man, I didn't hear from me on Saturday, and Cavino completely covered his bases. You notice that Richie said, hey, man, I was sick.
Speaker 4: I was sick.
Speaker 1: I didn't call any I didn't call my parents A sleep at night.
Speaker 4: Come clean, I'm covered, dB.
Speaker 2: I did think of you, and man, rich what are you going to do when your team is just hurt and and and you have really no team or star players left. There was nothing your team could do, nothing to really feel bad about, except for the fact that they can't stay healthy. Yeah pretty you know, run around like a It's like a like a cartoon almost. He didn't know what to do with the ball, Like, what's that guy gonna do? So a tough loss, some tough injuries for your forty nine ers, big win for the Seahawks. They might just go all the way. And that leads us to something we do every Monday.
Speaker 1: Oh, things that make you go, Things that make you go, things that make you go.
Speaker 2: Shall I start m I In the history of watching football, I don't think I've ever come away from a game feeling so blah.
Speaker 1: And let down. And I'm not even talking about the Niner Seahawks.
Speaker 2: Game, right That game was just that was a clobbering the Bills Broncos game. I think for the most part, unless you're a Denver fan, it was the Josh Allen feel good narrative that I guess, like you if your team wasn't in it, that was the number.
Speaker 1: One narrative, like this was his chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was the all roads led to Josh Allen getting his way and having his year. All his competition or all teams and players that we think of as his competition were out. This is Josh Allen's year to do it. But hold up, And for the record, I thought it was a catch. Yeah, scene, I thought it was a catch. And if we're gonna get to your thoughts on Buffalo and then the post game let down that think of the heis and low a Bronco fan.
Speaker 1: But first let's go to Dan Buyer some breaking NFL news.
Speaker 4: As.
Speaker 1: Breaking news from Fox Sports.
Speaker 5: Guys earlier today of the AFC East, Sean McDermott was fired as the Bills head coach. Sting in the division the Dolphins, multipler reports say we'll hire Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Halfley to be their new head coach. He'd be brought in by new GM john Eric Sullivan, who came from Green Bay. This is actually kind of thought to be a done deal, maybe a few days ago. But Hafley went on a couple of more interviews. Dolphins had more interviews. But Jeff Haffley is going to be the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: You know what it's.
Speaker 2: Like the world of anything, really, music, acting, college football, until someone's a name, and that's a really deep statement, Comino. Until you're a name, you're a nobody and you hear a name like that, then unless you really.
Speaker 1: Know, it's not true. Gary Vaynerchuk says you're a somebody. I know he does say that. As long as you know it, that's all that matters. I'm just saying everyone else might not know it.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, when you're a fan of a team, you want your team to hire someone that's a household name.
Speaker 1: Jeff Haffley.
Speaker 2: Bro And I'm sure I've always said, ooh, I got a halfy like Jeff Haffley. I've always said that at least you'll have that reference moving forward.
Speaker 1: He's not new to me. I always use him as a reference.
Speaker 2: We'll say it's a it's a guy that it's not the sexy hire a fan likes, right, like a fan always wants the Harbaugh or the top line or the headline. I hear stuff like this, I get excited, And that's why I said what I said. I get excited.
Speaker 1: Because it's not always about the headline. I hate that. It's about the merit. It's about did you earn it? Even in our industry, what do they do?
Speaker 2: Not at Fox Sports, which I love about them, it's so easy to hire a name, hire someone.
Speaker 1: That deserves it. What are you looking for?
Speaker 2: Are you looking for the headline or are you looking to actually win for substance for merit? It seems like the story does give you a Halfley No, because it does give me half He like Jeff Hafley because for example, I'm just trying to give you real life examples, right, guys. A lot of times companies hire big names for the press release, not necessarily because that person deserved it.
Speaker 1: Is they're riding on the fame.
Speaker 2: So if Fox Sports Radio hires a show like Cavino and Rich you're like, wow, these guys must be decent, there must be more.
Speaker 1: Who the hell are they? But if they go out there and.
Speaker 2: Hire Aaron Rodgers because he's available to do mornings, they're doing it solely for the headline, solely for the name, solely for the press release. So if the Dolphins make this move and you're like Jeff Halfley, you have to say to yourself, wow, he must really have earned it or deserve it, because it's not a sexy hire. It's not a sexy name. So I actually root for stories like this, So congrats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a hot candidate as the Steelers were just interested in him.
Speaker 2: Might be a hot candidate, but Rich's right, he's not like a household name. But guess what now he is. He's got a flat type like the Jim Ta tron viavis and butt heead. He's like mister buzzcutt.
Speaker 1: But you know what now he is? That's it. That's all you need to know.
Speaker 2: He has the merit and the substance to be that, and they're seeing through that and I love that, So props big news already.
Speaker 5: You know, he was an interesting guy as well, like I remember him obviously because he was the defensive coordinator at Ohio State for a couple of years, but he went and took the Boston College head coaching job then left there to be the Packers defensive coordinator. So it wasn't like a head coaching job moving on to another bigger college job or even an NFL job. He went and took the job and to be the defensive coordinator with the Packers. They were great defense up until Micah Parsons injury. But yeah, he is a He is a well well respected name within the circles, but just not a name that rises to the level of.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough, if you're a Dolphins fan, I'm curious to hear from Dolphins fans. You go from strictly an offensive guy like Mike McDaniel to now it's like, all right, let's go defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's What's also interesting, guys, is we thought that the Dolphins fired Mike McDaniel to get John Harball, right, Like that was the timing of it. McDaniel was going to be involved in a GM search. Then Harball gets fired and all of a sudden, the Dolphins are like, Okay, well now McDaniel's fired. So like we thought all right, that's why the Dolphins made the move. So not only do they not get John Harbaugh to replace Mike McDaniel, they go other side of the football with a GM hired from the same organization. So you're just kind of wondering on what the direction is. Maybe this is the direction that they wanted, but they fired their GM, Chris Greer, during the middle of the season, and there was some thought that maybe John Harball would be the guy because of the timing of everything, but that's not the case.
Speaker 2: The coaching carousels is really funny when you think about it in terms of like dating, right, Like your girlfriend with someone else's girlfriend wants that your wife was someone's girlfriend and it didn't work out, like there was some guy out there or she was like, yeah, this this sucks, but to you, it works out perfectly.
Speaker 1: Your wife could have had the sexy headline and she chose you.
Speaker 2: That's true. It's likely she could have had sexy your headlines in me, but she must say your headlines, I'd know you because you earned it and deserve it. And if you just joined us. Breaking news from Dan Byer, Dolphins are hiring former Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Halfley as their head coach, and again not to downplay or take away his merit, his resume or what he's accomplished, but probably not a household name for most people. But you know, it does go like a harball, as Dan Bayer mentioned before, it does go to the work and relationship analogy of like someone else's trash could be your treasure type of thing. Yeah, because you could say, like Sean McDermott now out of a gig, if he couldn't take Josh Allen, and you know, you could say that if he couldn't, if he couldn't get there with Josh Allen, who's he gonna get there with?
Speaker 1: And vice versa.
Speaker 2: I look at that as a scapegoat story, I really do. He was all pumped up till Yeah, he was defending his team, which I thought was.
Speaker 1: A catch too.
Speaker 2: If that's a catch and buffalo moves on that James Cook played, I wasn't a catch and he was down. How could it have been any other way? So I respect that he defended it, and yeah, he's fired, As you guys know. Sean McDermott nine seasons with the team, fourth time in five seasons exited in the divisional round, had a record of ninety eight and fifty did pretty damn well. But I get it couldn't get over that hump. So you gotta do something to show the fans that you care, right, and you can't do anything about Josh Allen, so you fire the coach. So McDermott's out. So answer answered this question. I started by saying, it's the coaching carousel of twenty twenty five. Has there been a game that's left you more deflated than that Buffalo Bill's Denver Broncos game because it was the weakest by the way for the record eight to eight. McDermott speaking of eight to eight in the postseason with the Bills. So the Bill's loose. You see sad Josh Allen, You see Josh Allen. I thought it was a catch. You thought it was a catchy. I guess it wasn't a catch. Shoot, everybody thought it was a catch. You think it was a catch in the moment, I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Afterward, you don't.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I guess I can see how it's argued in both directions after watching the slow mo of it. But in the moment, I thought, Okay, that's a catch because usually it's like baseball, tie goes to the runner. Our whole adult lives watching football. Even as kids, we were taught that if you know, the ball gets pulled away like that after it looks like the player came down with a knee, that it's the it goes to the receiver. Tie goes to the receiver.
Speaker 2: So it seemed like we saw so many contradicting and conflicting calls in other games that made you say him this weekend, you.
Speaker 1: Know what sucks is that?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Because it's professional sports and I know this sounds ridiculous. You can't do it. Do over. There are times where you're like, oh, it's so close, can we do it over?
Speaker 2: You know what, you have to make a call, and the call had to be made, and by giving that call to the Broncos, they essentially you essentially.
Speaker 1: Ended the bill season no doubt. That puts him in field goal range.
Speaker 2: We could be talking about Josh Allen's miracle run goes on and next week he's playing in New England against you know division rival and Vrabel and Drake May. The storyline was ripped away in that one moment. That one moment changed everything. I'm not saying that body language matters in the NFL like it does in the NBA, because in NBA you could really sell something.
Speaker 1: Don't you feel like Cook's body language.
Speaker 2: Made it appear like it was an interception, like he did get it because he laid there in almost a defeated way.
Speaker 1: You're saying he celebrating.
Speaker 2: If he popped up and went yes, like it again, he he almost looks like, oh man, like I can't believe what happened.
Speaker 3: Differently on the field, that's half the battle. The battle is having to overturn it.
Speaker 2: I even like, you know, when I saw the body language, I'm like, he lost the ball as opposed to no, I caught it and I was down and play it off ro I feel like that added a lot to the call and the momentum shift with the with the game. Now, the truth will be told in an instant replay, but if it's so close, Danny's right, the initial call watch it again is the most important because that's what has to be overturned.
Speaker 1: If you pop up in that moment and you go like first and.
Speaker 2: Celebrate as opposed to look and defeat in that moment, I think maybe you maybe you get a different call, because to me, that was a catch.
Speaker 1: Before instant replay.
Speaker 2: The art of selling the call the catch in baseball, you know, phantom tag selling a play was selling a game. So maybe maybe Cooks didn't sell it in.
Speaker 3: Lebraun was watching the game shaking his head like, man, Cooks did that all wrong?
Speaker 1: Serious but that.
Speaker 2: But you know, even Peyton Manning after the game said he thought it was a hoax because all of a sudden, I said, within it within minutes, you go from man buffalo bummer. All right, Denver, you know what Peyton and bow knicks as teams for real.
Speaker 1: We'll have a battle next week.
Speaker 4: I suppose.
Speaker 2: Then you hear bo Nick's ankle broken. And by the way Sean Payton said, it's so nonchalantly. In my mind, I think as a leader, you don't want to show any panic and you want to prove that we're good and he's ready and just lead with that level of confidence. I think that's really why what's he gonna do, like, oh man, this is the worst news for us. He can't behave that way. He has to show confidence in his team and confidence to the fans like no, we still got this. He's the guy we have a system. But if it does pan out where Stitty comes through, what does that say about bo Nix's legacy moving forward?
Speaker 1: Oh? I said this to com It doesn't help it.
Speaker 3: Let me give you.
Speaker 1: Let me give you two cases of this and let's go around the room, play a little what do you think? But not the backtrack, Rich You're absolutely right. The second you hear that news, you're like, oh, even weaker.
Speaker 2: Now. You know, my brother's a brother for reason for the Bills to have won that game. My brother likes the Broncos. And my dad was saying that, Hey, you know your brother said, if he would have known this would happen, he would have been like that, give the game the Buffalo seriously. So I remember Carson Wentz was all the rage. He was on an MVP type of season for the Philadelphia Eagles. He gets hurt, Nick Foles wins a Super Bowl, Carson Wentz and gains a sweet reputation and nickname. Oh, big Nick, everybody knows can't do it. So big Nick wins the Super Bowl. Yeah, Big Year's Nick, Big Years Nick. Big Year's Nick wins the Super Bowl, and then all of a sudden, Carson Wentz before the career goes, you know, Astray. There was a sense of well, we want a super Bowl with without the he was the guy, but now we won without him. So it was a sense of Philadelphia Eagles super Bowl champions and our quarterbacks like the guy that wasn't minute. How could you be the star of the team when your backup is who led you to a super Bowl. It's kind of tough living in that shadow. You're never the same guy. So if Stidy leads them all the way, what does it say. It says that, well, they have a great system, they're coached really well, they have a great team, great defense, and yeah they won with out their start. When I say we don't need this guy and it sucks for Nicks, it's really tough. Unintended Phil Simms. Do you do you think Phil Simms, oh, two times super Bowl champ or do you think Phil Simms, Oh, he won against the Broncos in the eighties And you're like, I guess he did technically have a second one member Hostetler came in at the end of the year and that team ended up winning. Do you look at Phil Simms and say, two time Super Bowl champion Danny or one time.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one.
Speaker 2: You know, it doesn't make it true, but it's house perceived right. Well, yeah, on paper and reality of two different things. Phil Simms is a one time Super Bowl champion. In my eyes, he didn't beat the Buffalo Bills. Jeff Hosteler's Giants won that game.
Speaker 3: But you could make an argument that bo Nicks took Denver as far as he took them this season. And Covi, I understand what you're saying about how the thought could be, well, maybe they don't need them, but they're gonna need him in the super Bowl. Yeah, home playoff game, a home championship game, they could maybe win off the power of their defense with a backup quarterback in the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, but we saw Foles do it.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's not impossible. And this is the most cool opportunity ever forstit him. He seems like a like a cool, handsome dude. I saw picture him and his girlfriend and they're like, yeah, let's he's taken on this opportunity. I do like the underdog backup storyline. I'm not mad at it. By any means. I wish him all the best, but it's sort of tough, and it does make you feel worse about the Bills blowing their chances. That way, you could say, you could say richest the stupidest thing you ever said on Fox, and it's possible. But I think there's a part of the subconscious of bo Nicks that is, like, I, this can't happen because if if Denver wins without bo Nicks, there will be that underlying like.
Speaker 1: As Drake may said, we ever need he's a good Christian man, He's not gonna think that way. What's up deep?
Speaker 5: I think there's the other side of the coin, Like, in a weird way, I think that Sean Payton loves this. Imagine what this does for Sean Payton's reputation ego if he loses his quarterback, you know, prior to the AFC Championship game.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think that's why we saw that confidence. He's so confident that like it's him in the system and they're coaching that could them that we're good with Citty.
Speaker 1: He's ready to go.
Speaker 4: dB.
Speaker 3: Did you notice how Peyton even joked like, oh, if I knew about these ankle injuries. You know, we wouldn't have drafted bow Knicks. Sure, now that was like, that's a weird time to joke.
Speaker 1: There was.
Speaker 5: There was also Peyton having to do two press conferences because Nix wasn't gonna come out because of the injury. But if we look back to last the twenty twenty four offseason when they were in training camp, Stidham was thought to be the leader in the clubhouse for that job. And then because Zach Wilson was also in that quarterback room, yep, but Stidham was thought to be the leader. Then it ended up you heard rumblings it's going to be Bonix Bonix. So I don't think that there is underprepared. The one thing I will say with Wentz, the only difference is at least the Eagles had a ramp up period for Foles to get acclimated. This is just trying to figure out how for sixty minutes you could beat the New England Patriots.
Speaker 2: Hosteller had two regular season weeks before the postseason. Foles had even a longer runway. I think Wentz got hurt like week twelve or thirteen or something like that. I just there's always gonna be similarities. And I look at those two previous examples of well, Phil Simms really didn't win too and yo, Carson Wentz on paper super Bowl champion.
Speaker 1: But that's Nick Foles.
Speaker 2: And if you're a Denver Broncos fan and Stidham comes in there and you somehow win, you need to win two games.
Speaker 1: That's a crazy part, right, you need to beat New England.
Speaker 2: And then and then two wins away from being this you have one of the game in a few weeks from now.
Speaker 3: But as a starter in the NFL, Stidham's one and three right, right, you know? And I got an eye full of Stidham when he was playing for the Raiders not too long ago.
Speaker 1: But DNN is not.
Speaker 3: He's not horrible, but he's just not a great quarterback either.
Speaker 2: Let's just say right, let's just say he does it. Bo Nicks becomes so irrelevant to a Denver Broncos fan. I'm probably unfortunate. You've seen it happen in the past. I lived in New York when Hosteler won with the Giants. Don't one cared about Phil Simms the same way, and Carson Wentz the next year. Everyone's going big, is it lipsnick right big years Nick everyone was hearing for Nick Foles and he was a backup. Then he became this legend like this this year, Philly Special was getting MVP chance before that happened. So they loved Wentz, they loved Ones leading into that, and then he became like a second thought leftovers after that.
Speaker 3: Does it make you feel any different though that The Patriots defense is what you could say they are riding on right now, and Drake May and that offense look slightly shaky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they look vulnerable for sure.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying because Denver's defense is good, nothing nothing is impossible, right because if Denver could keep you in every game, what Stident would have to do is not as drastic. They're like Caleb Williams brock Party. There are teams whose defenses were not great, and you knew you had to put up points to win, right Like you know you had to do something special to win. I don't know if you need to do something that special in Denver to win if it's a defensive battle.
Speaker 5: Denver's got one of the best, if not the best, offensive line in the National Football League. Forty percent of the line's name First team all pro defensively, we know how much they get after it. That's why I think the Peyton thing is just so intriguing of how do you win this sixty minute battle, because that's really all that it is. It's not a long it's not a big picture sort of thing. It's how do you get it done.
Speaker 1: On Sunday I heard Dan Patrick on the network talking about it.
Speaker 2: How we use the word game manager like it's all negative, but at this stage of the game of the playoffs, you just need to find a way to win in sixty minutes. Managing the that's what you're doing, your managing how do I win this game? And Sean Payton could if the score zerosier after the first quarter, he might be like, yes, exactly what I wanted, Like just no one moved the ball, it's just clock, kill the clock and get you know, get a couple of drive going. Like it's not about what rich To wrap up this thought about bon Nicks and how unfortunate that was and how that just added to the deflating feeling of the Bills losing that one because it was a heartbreaker. I don't know if you saw how many people thought that the bon Nick story was a hoax and Peyton manning like I said, ye, yeah, but it was all over so many fans like did it? Like wives were filming their husbands finding out. I don't know if you've seen things really that's really kind. Yeah, but in the world, in the world of Ai and Sora and fake news, you really didn't know what to believe.
Speaker 1: You're like, wait, is that true? Didn't know?
Speaker 2: Didn't Peyton reach out to Bronco's front office folks saying like, yo, is this a hoax or not? So it's a shame that we live in a world where we don't even know what to believe. But apparently it happened on the second to last play, and in retrospect you saw him hobbling off the field, wincing and remissing, as they say, And to say that getting injured at and inopportunity, wincing getting injured and inopportune time and giving someone else a chance to be a hero. If you tell me that couldn't happen when he talked to a guy named Drew Bledsoe and see how he feels about you know what about going down. We'll take your phone calls next. But I think we need to shift our mindset on that story. It's really a cool story. Isn't unfortunate? It is, it's terrible because we've seen what happened to Wentz's career and Phil Simms and his reputation after that. Right, this is really really cool or a cool opportunity for Stidham and the rest of the team. This could be something to rally around. And it's an underdog story. The backup quarterback gets a chance to show that he was great all along. We might have a storyline to root for now exactly. And I know there's a lot of disappointed feelings about that, but we need to shift it. As you know, this might be actually a cool thing for us as fans to watch and to root for. Well, hey, we'll take your feedback on it next. Phones are hot. Feedbacks hot, And don't forget DraftKings.
Speaker 1: It's hot.
Speaker 2: DraftKings sports Book an official so it's betting partner. It's so hot right now of the NFL makes every playoff moment feel bigger. Yeah, I did not do well this past week, and I remember I said all the underdogs that did not work out well, but hopefully it did for you guys, DraftKings has your back with early exit protection. If a player in your eligible NFL prop goes down at any point in the first half, you still get paid in k So here's what you gotta do if you want to get paid in cash. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app. Used code Crshow's Code cr Show to turn five bucks into three hundred bonus bets if your bet wins. In partnership with DraftKings, The Crown is yours.
Speaker 7: Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler New York Call eight seven seven eight hope in Why, or text hope and Why Connecticut call eight at eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org on behalf of Boothill Casino in Kansas. Wager tax passed through may apply in Illinois twenty one plus in most states void in Ontario. Restrictions apply. Bed must win to receive bonus bats, which expire in seven days. Minimum odds required. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNNG, dot co, slash audio limited time offer.
Speaker 2: It's Covino and Rich and we want to congratulate Stu Gotts on his debut today. How does this sound? Yeah, Coveno on Rich and Company. Now I came up with that, Stu Gotts and Company. Congrats to them. I checked them out, Cleary. If you missed it, catch the podcast and catch our podcast. We're streaming live right now on YouTube. The live chat is popping a lot of people talking smack. But you know what, you want to talk some real smack. Yeah, you could join the chat Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube, but call us up.
Speaker 1: It's things that make you go hmm.
Speaker 2: We do it every Monday, all your observations eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. We got Danny g and seam on standby. But your next success can begin sooner than you think. Rich Apply now and say with no application fee through February eleventh at University of Maryland Global Campus. This new year, put your goals within reach at an accredited state university. Learn more at UMGC dot edu. And have you ever wiped with a piece of dry toilet paper and wondered, oh my god, is this as good as it gets?
Speaker 1: Well, no it's not. You know what I used that week ass dry toilet paper for to build a nest? Oh on the toilet bowl. Yeah, you build a little nest you sit on it, well, have a public turlet.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How about this life changing dude wipes? Yeah, come on, center is just better available at Amazon and all major retailers. Dudewipes, best clean pants, dwn pants damn available at Amazon. Enjoy those bad boys. So, speaking of bad boys, Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio, we got iowas Sam Danny g Spot on the videos, Dan Byer, what your update in just a few minutes. But these are your observations from this divisional playoff weekend. We didn't even talk about CJ. Stroud and how terrible he played. I felt bad watching him. We didn't talk about the Green Day news. We have lots to get to, but your phone calls first. Yeah, say hi to Travis in Los Angeles. Hi Travis, Hey Travis.
Speaker 8: So Rich Now that your team's out, you're available seven days a week for flag football, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am available every day, you know, speaking of Is that all you had to say?
Speaker 2: With all the injuries and yeah, you want me to play flag football. My daughter plays floud football. With all the injuries with your team, I know experts have debunked the conspiracy and debunked the rumors and if you don't know what we're talking about. Their practice facility, the forty nine ers practice facility in Santa Clara is right next to this electrical substation. They're saying that the frequency is there weaken the tendons, like the electromagnetic fields weaken the tendons and affect the muscles, causing all these injuries. I know it's been debunked, but who went there? MythBusters who? I don't know anyone that debunked.
Speaker 1: This read it.
Speaker 2: I don't has been a viral story. It hasn't hit the mainstream to my knowledge. I see it all over social media. Yeah, they test the electromagnetic field and they say it's it's a lot stronger in that area and it's not good for the muscles. You know, when you look at how injured they were, even during the game this weekend, McCaffrey and a shoulder. You see him grimacing, You see how much pain he was in. You're like, oh my god, is there something like if it's not that, then what is it? Because Richard's no way your team had any chance. But I don't though it was Kendrick Bourn or it wasn't Jennings A forty nine Ers receiver in a postgame. It makes me say referenced it as like a joke though, like it's all the power facility next to the what gives with the injuries?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Listen, it could be total bs. You could send the MythBusters or whoever they are. But I think in today's day and age of AI and fake news and no one knowing what's true and is it Sora, is it a real video? I do think that the forty nine ers need to legit put out a statement like all this is nonsense, because there could be a free agent or draft pick or someone that's like, yeah, I'm not sure if I want to be Doctors and experts have debunked it as baseless, stating there's no scientific evidence that it harms players, though the team's injuries are real and clearly impacted the team this year, so that's too rich. But to me, I'm like, man, you just almost want that as an answer, because it would make more sense.
Speaker 1: You just read something you googled. I don't know if it's true.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: Dan Bayer.
Speaker 5: The one thing that I would say in defense of the forty nine ers is they've practiced in this area for this for decades. I've stadium was built right next to their practice facility, so it's not like this is just a previous couple of seasons.
Speaker 4: They've been there for a long long time.
Speaker 2: But it only makes me say hmm when you look at the shell of a team they were playing with over the weekend.
Speaker 1: So and they did their best. Man, you can't blame Purdy, you can't blame McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: You heard someone else blaming Kyle Shanahan saying that they practice they practice at a which is it not like a not less full contact like interesting, Shanahan's practices sure are lighter than most every head coach.
Speaker 1: So people get in the game in full force.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they've like Shanahan's practices are more mechanical than.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I and that could that could be a reason why I will say this just to make a bigger picture. I'm curious on your thoughts, Like there are guys that got injured that I'm just like, yeah, they get injured. Like Trent Williams. I know he played and played in the previous you know, playoff games, but was heard at the end of the regular season Trent Williams is old, right, This stuff this stuff happens to players who are older, and the forty nine ers are an older team. What I just find interesting is we're just a couple of seasons removed of a healthy Brandon Ayuk, Adebo, Samuel, all of these weapons. You know, George Kittle's in his early thirties, but all of these weapons at their disposal, and now you get into the playoffs this year and you're thrown to Juwan Jennings.
Speaker 2: I think that's the one thing that no one talks about about the forty nine ers. I'm glad you brought it up. Dan as a Niners fan. I said to Cavino, I said, you run it back with healthy players, you're still lacking a big receiver.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: The forty nine ers were like, well, you have Ayuk, you had Debo, who's like this multi purpose guy in his prime.
Speaker 5: They tried to draft Piersol, but he's spent a bust and I know the start of last year was very unfortunate with the with the you know, the gun shot situation. But this year he's been injured throughout the year, so that hasn't panned out like you would have hoped.
Speaker 2: I think other than just getting healthy. The forty nine ers do need to figure out in free agency or the draft, Like a wide receiver is on the list, Yeah, like they You're right, Juan Jennings other than him, Like like Kendrick Bourne was back in the mix.
Speaker 1: Like people that came back in the mix that wouldn't even be on other teams.
Speaker 2: Something that made me go over the weekend again. We'll take your phone calls. Hey, congrats to the Rams, nothing against them, And props to Stafford's teeth. Man, I don't know if you saw how gleaming white his teeth were at the end of the game he made to.
Speaker 1: Just for men his cheek bunce. You don't like that, huh. It's listen, grizzled like wisdom. Look of wisdom. No, but it's like I'll be I'll tell everyone the honest truth.
Speaker 2: I touch up the sides a little bit because right there by the jawline where Matthew Stafford just has great patches, it's not a good look.
Speaker 1: Like I'm just feel like a little touch up.
Speaker 3: Little weird look. It's like a gray swirl.
Speaker 2: I do notice, even like a wolverine were rocking more of like a more of a like a stubbly beard that touch up that area, he got a pully Walnuts thing going on and his face during that game. I said, not to take away from their win, but man, Caleb Williams really showed superstar potential in this run, and he made me a belief. We saw maybe the greatest playoff play of all time. I think dannyj You even said, was that like the dopest play ever. It really was an amazing play to keep them in the game. And then he throws an interception and you could blame him or DJ Moore's round no more give up on that route he did. He did ye. It was a bad or you could say bad communication and timing on that play. But for him to go from hero to zero that quick, I felt for the dude and just everything he said after the game it made me like him even more. Like I'm a fan of not the Bears, but of Caleb Williams moving forward. I really believe in that guy, and I think he'll learn from that, and it was really cool to see how big he played in those big moments. All right, let's go to dB for an update.
Speaker 1: Dan Buyer, what's up?
Speaker 2: But up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, I'll make it quick.
Speaker 5: The big news of the day is the Bills fired head coach Sean McDermott, but they promoted general manager Brandon Bean. The Dolphins have hired Jeff Haffley to be their new head coach. He was the Packers defensive coordinator, comes over from Green Bay, hired by new general manager John Eric Sullivan, who was a former piece of the Packers' front office. Seahawks running back Zach Sharbonne is going to miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn acl and there win over the forty nine Ers on Saturday, Bronco's finally getting some good news. They open up the practice window for running back JK. Dobbins, who hasn't played since the middle of the regular season because of a foot injury. Some more coaching news in the NFL. The Lions are hiring former Cardinals offensive coordinator Drew Pencing to be their OC in Detroit, Falcons keeping defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich. He'll work under new head coach Kevin Stefanski. And it looks like Eric b Enemy's going to be on his way back to Kansas City as the Chief's offensive coordinator. Jordan Schultz says that Bienemy likely lining up to replace Matt Naggi, who's interviewing for head coaching jobs. Nagy's contract not renewed by the Chiefs, as he's could be headed again to be a head coach again in the National Football League. Bienemy most recently the Bears running backs coach Indiana Miami for college Football's National Championship tonight in South Florida. Bucks top the Hawks one twelve to one ten. Clippers just out lasted the Warriors one ten to one oh six. Well Shay Gildess, Alexander at thirty chat Holmgren twenty eight thunder rout the Calves one thirty six to one oh four. Lebron James the streak of being named an All Star Game starter comes to an end today after twenty one straight season. Yeah guys, back to what streak?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I you know I've I have more thoughts on Caleb Williams, So put a put a hold on that for a second. Caleb Williams, we gotta talk more about him. And this video of Tom Brady throwing on the field that I got, I have a thought about Tom too. So we'll get to a bunch of stuff. Last one standing and I thought about baseball and tonight, Danny, you get a little preview of your dude. Let's go, Fernando. We'll get to all that and more next. Covino on Rich on Fox Sports Radio. Hey, if you guys missed over promised this week, you got to check it out right here on the same YouTube page.
Speaker 1: Yoh, you know what rips.
Speaker 2: You know what actually just rips over promised our bonus pod, just rips. You could watch it, you could hear it. It's on YouTube. Covino en Rich, FSR. We're turning this mother out like MC hammer back in the nineties. CNR and FSR live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio, and it's time for our ti Raq play the day. We gotta go with the miracle on fourth down, the play of the season. We were just talking about it.
Speaker 4: Fourth down and four fourteen of the Rams, shotgun snaff coach back, four four man rush.
Speaker 1: He's chased, he's fussed, he's holding the way back to the forty.
Speaker 4: He's back pedaling and fills to pass.
Speaker 1: And pots touchdowns. Touchdown. Chicago's thing a touchdown pass. Whift pole come out open in the corner, if you're aheadn't seen it, you would not believe it.
Speaker 2: How do you not love that? You can't teach that type of magic, those big moments. That's courtesy of Kevin Harlan Westwood One. That was our tire Rack Play of the Day. For over forty years, Tyreck's been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive, shipped fast and free back by free road hazard protection, with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tirera tyrack dot Comedy, tyre Brine should be. As Mike Oliver said on our inshow Chat, What up Mike, Kevin Harlan's good.
Speaker 3: Huh, Yeah, it's so good. He listens to our network. By the way, what up keV? He has tweeted in before to comment on things we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that. As Wes from Vegas said, who's a Seahawks fan? All for nothing?
Speaker 4: And oh what? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was tough. We want to go to Kevin Culver City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wants to talk about Caleb Williams in that play, keV.
Speaker 8: What's Fellows?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 8: Man? Hey? That play was incredible because he's running back fifty yards and then he does like he's falling down three guys in front of him. He prows the ball accurately perfectly in the end zone with met Kats. I thought they were going to go.
Speaker 6: For two too. I thought the Rams were four. After the game's over, There's no way the Rams were going to stop them there because Caleb could have run the ball or through it. So the Rams got away with one yer. So I totally thought they were going for doing and another thing too, which hit them. All you need is for a backup quarterback is one game. I mean, so he might not get the two games, but you can win one game with him. That's what a backup quarterback is.
Speaker 2: I think, like we were saying, that offensive line for Denver solid. They have a good running game, they have a great defense. It's it's a scenario where a backup quarterback could do things like you don't ask a lot. You don't ask a lot out of a quarterback in that scenario. That's why you saw the confidence of Sean Payton. That's what I think. I agree with Dan said, you know, I think this is his chance to shine. I think Caleb Williams in that moment, like well, Ben Johnson did you see Ben Johnson after the game, They asked him why he didn't go for two, And you had noticed throughout that game the Bears had struggled on fourth and short.
Speaker 1: They had come up short a few times.
Speaker 2: So in that moment, Ben Johnson did say, because of their lack of success earlier in the game in those short yardage fourth on situations, that he felt better about going to overtime. He thought about it, but earlier in the game there were moments where the Bears look lost on like fourth and two.
Speaker 3: Cove. It's like a boxing match when you got a guy on the ropes, you gotta finish him up. Yeah, you let him go to another round. Who knows how it's gonna finish, Danny.
Speaker 1: You're right, thirty seconds left in the round. You don't want to let him get to the next round.
Speaker 2: You want to you have thirty seconds, knock them out and they have the chance to be like it would have been the most ballsy call, I would say, arguably in recent NFL history, to go for it in the end of regulation, go for two for the win.
Speaker 1: But if they go for that, if they go for that and get it, Ben Johnson is like a hero. Caleb Williams. But you know what, I'll you know what they got.
Speaker 2: They got the NDI Chavez treatment, and you might be like, who's Indie Chavez? Exactly one of the greatest catches you ever see in baseball postseason history, New York Met leftfielder jumped over the wall to bring back a home running game seven none, But the only problem was the Mets ends up losing the game and what would have been called the greatest catch ever is just a cool moment that would have been if the Bears win that game. If the Bears win that game, that's one of the greatest moments in playoff history. We got more seeing our next more NFL hang tight.
Speaker 7: You