Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright side, we're getting advice and lessons on love and friendship from one of the UK's smartest and most popular writers. Author and advice columnist Dolly Alderton is here. It's Tuesday, June twenty fifth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: And I'm Simone Boyce and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine, Simone.
Speaker 2: For almost ten years now, Dolly Alderton has been helping people tackle life and love's messes with her witty, sexy and just very heart filled advice column, Dear Dolly. It publishes weekly in Britain's The Sunday Times newspaper.
Speaker 3: She's literally been called a real life Bridge Jones and Carrie Bradshaw and I couldn't help but wonder what's it like to get paid to write an advice column that everyone wants to read. That's my best carry Bradshaw, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I love that well.
Speaker 2: Dolly took her advice game a step further when she wrote her twenty eighteen memoir titled Everything I Know About Love, and It details her journey through dating and romance and just life. The book became a smash hit, and it even got adapted for TV by the BBC and it's streaming right now on Peacock if you want to watch.
Speaker 3: And she's keeping the love lessons coming with her latest book, Good Material. Danielle, you know what's interesting about this book. It's about a really tough breakup, but from a male perspective and fun fact. To prepare for this book, Dolly conducted over twenty hours of interviews with men, men that she knew friends of friends about their breakup experiences.
Speaker 1: Men should be talking about their breakups more. They have feelings too.
Speaker 2: But you know, Dolly's a journalist, a podcast host, an author and truly a lady of love. She's written about love and relationships for publications like The Telegraph, Glamour, GQ, the list goes on.
Speaker 3: And vice columnist or Agony Aunt, as the British call it. She's truly unmatched. I mean she had me breaking out the highlighter over and over again. This woman is a walking poll quote and she's here with us now. Dolly, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 4: Thank you so lovely to be here. I wish I could match your beautiful, sunshiny voice, but unfortunately my vocal cords have been hit by Thankfully aggressive la air conditioning.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, we have.
Speaker 4: The air conditioning doesn't exist me.
Speaker 1: We have a sexy voice going on.
Speaker 2: That's what we called it when we were in sixth grade and we lost our voices.
Speaker 4: A sexy voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doly, you've really established a distinct voice as a writer, and you've even been compared to some of our favorite leading ladies like Kerry Bradshaw and Bridget Jones. Do you embrace these comparisons? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: I find it so flattering you do, yeah, totally. You know, I've always been such a culture obsessive. I've been like that since I could read, watch, listen, And these people there is Helen Fielding writing, Bridget Jones or Carrie Bradshaw or my favorite filmmakers, my favorite singers. They are so a part of my heart and brain and soul. And I so hope that some of that, like bioles mosis, went in and you know, comes out in expression, because I just think there is no person on earth who has had the exact same cultural diet that I've had from the moment I was born until now, which means, yeah, the Bridget Jones is in there and carry Bradshaw's in there, but like Doris Lessing's in there, and you know, the Clasher in there. There's like it's a huge patchwork quilt of people that have helped form who I am and how I think and what I love. So it's if tiny fragments of that suddenly appear. I think that's great.
Speaker 3: I think we don't mind being compared to people who are good.
Speaker 2: Right, Like I was just gonna say about like Carrie Bradshaw and Bridget Jones are so beloved, great comparison. Yeah, you know, there aren't really credentials for advice.
Speaker 1: It feels like to me, you either got it or you don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's very clear when our friends don't get it.
Speaker 1: You know they are you know, different friends for different reasons. So's true, they're not the advice friends. You clearly have the innate gift. How did you know that you got it?
Speaker 4: Thank you. I've always been the person who's lecturing other people how to live their lives. I remember like handing out sex advice at school. I didn't use my virginity until I was like just shy of eighteen. You should have heard me when I was thirteen, advising girls on how to sleep with their boyfriends. And I think you know, I've always been a nosy person. I've always been quite a perverted little kid. I always like hearing about people's private lives and people's relationships, and people's desires, and people's transgressions and inner workings. You know, the last twenty years of my life, the majority of it has been spent sitting around a pub table, a restaurant table, or a tiny table, or on a sofa, shooting the share with women and talking about their lives and giving each other our insights, which is basically a PhD in being an agony on and an advice columnist. Yeah, I have a lifetime experience of this in my teens and twenties to help. And I think because I've written in the past about my own bad choices and mistakes, and I've been a vulnerable writer in the past, that equips me to give advice to people being vulnerable because I'm not pretending like I make all the right choices. I actually think I'm equipped because I've made so many bad ones.
Speaker 2: So you hit on something that I really wanted to ask you about, which is I think part I have armchair theories all the time and no credentials either. So I feel like advice columnists, the really great ones, in part, do it because they want to help people not hurt the way that they hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so true, God, that's so smart. That's exactly why I do it. Real the ones I ever said it like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my armchair theory about you is that, like you are a girl's girl. You just mentioned like being in community with other women and just chatting and chatting and chatting.
Speaker 1: That's how I learn totally.
Speaker 2: So what is your why behind the advice columns and the books?
Speaker 4: Such a good question. Why. I think I felt really lonely when I was a teenage girl. The minute that I found salvation in like minded women, I felt homecoming and sole connection and family in a way i'd kind of never experienced in my entire life. I'm aware that a lot of women don't get that, or they don't get that until a bit later in life. The life of a woman even now is basically so many markers of shame, from crypto toomb. You know, if you look at cross section of the letters that I get, I mean, it's ninety percent of the letters from women, and all of them are am I doing something wrong? Have I messed up? And it begins with teenage girls who can't get a boyfriend or can't lose their virginity, and then it goes to girls in their twenties who feel like they're lost and they're not having the career they're meant to have, or they're not living the Carrie Bradshaw's city life they're meant to live. Well, they haven't got the friendships they're meant to have. And then it's I want children. I can't find someone to have children with me. Then they have children, and then it's like I'm a crap mum, and it's like my teenage daughters, I'm worried about them. I don't think I'm serving them. And then it's my husband's cheated? Was I a bad wife? And then sometimes it's even like women in their seventies. I get emails being like, how do I spice it up in the bedroom because my husband is going to stray ol whatever. I'm like, God, this is life long, like shame and punitive voice. And women are my thing and they're my people and the people I spend most time with them, work with the most passionate about anything that I can do in my storytelling or in my sharing that helps them feel less alone and more connected to each other. Just makes me so happy.
Speaker 3: You mentioned feeling loneliness and isolation as a teenage girl, and, like Danielle so expertly said, I think you're communicating with a lot of inner teenagers that are hidden inside the bodies of these grown women who are walking around the world today.
Speaker 4: God, you're so good, you two, because that is my big theory with my work. Really, yeah, I'm so in touch with my teenage self. I'm like on the phone tour every day.
Speaker 3: What does she need to hear? What do you tell her?
Speaker 4: She just needs permission to be herself. She needs reassurance that'll be okay. She needs reassurance that every thought that she's had or feelings she's had, someone else, some person before, has had it. I just feel her presence so much. I feel her in triumph, I give her a high five. I feel her in tragedy. I feel I just it's just an iteration of self that I just feel so will follow me forever. And I think that about all human beings, unless you're one of those freaks that had a great time as an adolescent. I'm sure there are some.
Speaker 3: There's always something.
Speaker 4: It's like a cool wound being a teenage person, I think lives in everyone, and I'm always trying to, like those wounds kind of speak to each other without us even knowing. I think that's what I love. When I fall in love with someone, I'm so fascinated with understanding who they were as a fourteen year old boy, or who that you know, and whether what they would have thought of me as a fourteen year old girl. I think it will stick with me forever, that sense of like, I think that so much of the making of our self confidence, well, I think all of it actually is done in those years.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you about this quote that went viral. You said, everything I know about love I've learned from my long term friendships with women. What were you reflecting on when you wrote that?
Speaker 4: So there is a girl out there, maybe she's listening. I've got to track her down. She took that from my audiobook and she put it over a Phoebe Bridge a song, put it as a TikTok clip. I think it's now. I had like a bajillion zillion people reuse it amazing. Off the back of that this week, everything I Know about Love will being in the New York Times perstsellers for a year. Having bombed when it first came out, and having not been we couldn't sell it. We went to fifty publishers. I think it's what got me my American Asian. I think it's what got me a great reception to do material. So if that girl's listening, I want to buy you a handbag, pave whatever you want. I want to take you out of lunch and take your shopping because I really owe that girl something. Yeah, it's interesting to me that that is the well, that quite kind of the heart of the book, I suppose, But I didn't know it was the heart of the book when I was writing the book. When I started writing the memoir, I thought it was about growing up, and I thought it was about kind of trying to find the romantic love. And I thought it was about coming of age and becoming a woman, being in your twenties. And I wrote all these chapters, and it was only when I went to the final chapter to write it I went back and read the whole book and I was like, what the fuck is this book about? And then I realized there was just one thing that linked up every single chapter, on every page of the book, and on every page of my life at that time. It's just been these women that were there. And then I realized that I had been writing a story about falling in love. It was about these friendships.
Speaker 2: WHOA so because when I think about falling in love, I do not think about my friendships.
Speaker 1: They're very separate to me. What was the link for you?
Speaker 4: I think what it was is I looked back at these collected experiences. Some of it was profound. Some of it was being there for each other during grief, during heartbreak, advising each other. But a lot of it was in those stories in the memoir, getting drunk together, living in a flat together, going to the movies together, cooking together, lying around watching TV. When you're on a hungover on a Sunday, just hanging out. And you think you're hanging out like that all this time, that you're collecting this unit time and memory, some silly, some insignificant, some completely unmemorable. You think it's just hanging out, that's the verb. And then I think you get to Nity thirty and then you look back at how you've got through that first section of adulthood. You're like, Oh, it wasn't hanging out, it was falling in love. Oh wow. They were the people that got me through that. They helped me become a woman.
Speaker 1: Really, that's really nice.
Speaker 3: We have to take a quick break. But when we come back, Dolly sharing the heartache she never saw coming. We're back with advice columnist and author the bridget Jones of our time, Dolly Alderton. Okay, I have to ask you about your latest bestselling novel, Good Material. You wrote a breakup story through the perspective of a man. Such a refreshing take.
Speaker 1: So, Steve Harvey, of you.
Speaker 3: She is that's the other comparison that she gets, Steve Harvey, are they Yeah? Huh. What's the biggest difference between how men and women handle heartbreak?
Speaker 4: That's a great question. I interviewed fifteen men when I was researching the book. I did like twenty hours of conversation with male friends, with my poor friends, husbands and boyfriends and male colleagues. Here's where I found. Basically, men go through the exact same internal process as women. Personality dependent. Obviously, there's not a monolithsgendered experience of difficult emotional things, but in terms of like those stages of grief that one goes through as a woman that we're so familiar with that we know how to be there for each other when you're going through it, like you're in shock and then you're incredibly sad, and then you're very angry, and then you're self lacerating and you're obsessing, and then you're blaming yourself, and then you know all those things that we know about because every time one of us goes through it, the Senate is called, yeah, we will deal with it. They go through exactly the same thing. They just don't have their people to help them through it. So they do have close male friends. Love that I'm literally talking like David Attenborough. I guess the male I have gone out into the bush and examined these things called men. They do have close male friends. And what's important to say, because I don't want to be two men from Mars women from Venus about this. Every single man I spoke to, even when they were talking about the failings of their male friendships, all of them talked about how much they couldn't look without their male friends and love them, So it's a different kind of love and support to the support that traditionally women get from these female communities of friends. But what they did say was they were given a really limited amount of time to talk about heartbreak. They were only allowed to process it and one pub session or one phone call.
Speaker 3: But who sets those guidelines for them?
Speaker 4: Culture? Is what they said.
Speaker 2: I've heard that for women, breakups, even friendship breakups feel like a break in self, and it's different. Men feel like the breakup with that person, do you find any truth there?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's so interesting, I think again, obviously it's totally personality dependent. But a lot of men that I spoke to, their fixation was about the other, was about the woman, particularly who the woman then moved on with as well was something that seemed to us and.
Speaker 1: The primal territorialism away.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, and also it's just I suppose that's like putting it on the person. It's externalizing, like something that's so difficult to talk about, whereas I think with women, I always go back to self in breakup. It's always like, what what did I do.
Speaker 1: Well to your earlier point? As the PM punitive right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so interesting that difference. I think the I think we're just given more language for emotion, and I think a lot of men traditionally don't have that language because they don't talk about emotions as much. There was this one guy who spoke to He said this thing that I thought was really interesting. He's a good male friend of mine. He said, when I talk to you about emotions, or I see you and another one of our female friends talk about emotions, he was like, it's like I'm listening to an orchestra to this like finely tuned. It's like you tune up the violin and then she comes in on the harp and it's like effortless and beautiful, and you make sense to each other and it's harmonious. And then when I try and join in, it's like a Grade one recorder player, like honking along and I just can't keep up. And he was like, you know, I think there's a lot that's said about toxic masculinity and the fear of being vulnerable as a man, which is seria and must be talked about. He was like, we also just down out of the training, so we're kind of afraid of sounding stupid.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in a relationship with a man that you taught to talk because like, and I'm asking you because I feel like when I met a man, he didn't want to have those conversations, and then years later he was trying to have the conversations with me, and I was like, we really learned something here, didn't Wait.
Speaker 4: Every boyfriend have ever had? Wow, every boyfriend I ever had?
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 4: Those bitches they marry owe me so much. Honestly.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned you're thirty five.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about the thirties because another one of my theories is that the twenties were branded totally incorrectly miss marketed.
Speaker 3: I feel like I was sold a bill of goods wait, mis marketed as what people.
Speaker 2: People said this about college too, They tell you, oh my god, it's the best time of your lives.
Speaker 4: It's so fun.
Speaker 1: And my mother, Thank goodness for my mother.
Speaker 2: She sat me down before I moved to LA and she's said, the twenties were the hardest decade of my life.
Speaker 3: Oh good honor, just buckle up.
Speaker 1: If it's hard for you, buckle up.
Speaker 2: They were really tough for me. The thirties have been not that they're not tough. But just more peaceful. I feel like I know myself better. I'm curious to know how you feel about the thirties so far. If they were what you expected, they've been a bit.
Speaker 4: Of a shit show. Actually, got to be honest.
Speaker 3: Am I allowed to swear on this podcast?
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is it's very individual.
Speaker 4: What I think I'm saying is I feel like I was sold and doun about the thirties.
Speaker 1: Tell me more.
Speaker 4: I was told that the peace thing. I was told about peacefulness, And here's the thing. Emotionally, it's much more.
Speaker 1: Peaceful, That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, in terms of like how I feel about myself and my relationships, my interpersonal relationships, and how I communicate with people I work with. I have more confidence. I am much more relaxed, I'm much less new erotic, and I'm much more transparent with Mike exchanges. So life is much easier emotionally. But like I think, thirty to thirty five as a woman is a really difficult time. Friends. Having babies throws a bomb in your life that I couldn't. No one really warned me about that. I was warned about the twenties. I was warned, you'll be skinned and works really difficult, and boys are horrible, and you'll drink too much. I kind of knew that. No one told me. Thirty to thirty five, your friendships are going to change. Forget you know what I wrote about and everything I know about love with people getting boyfriends and moving in with boyfriends, that's like nothing. Thirty to thirty five, your whole community is going to change, and you're going to be really lost, and you're going to feel really left behind, and you're going to have like these people that you invested in and fell in love with and created this world and schedule with, they're going to hit the bricks. They're gone for a while, and you are going to be If you're single, you're going to be really alone. No one warned me about that.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you've lost a lot of friends in your early thirties to life transitions?
Speaker 4: This is the thing. This huge four happens at thirty. You know, I know lots of friends, they're married with kids. They've now told me they really felt like they weren't exciting enough for me, or they weren't they couldn't keep up with me, or I didn't have the time for them, and then on the other side, I felt like, well, your children are understandably now everything, and you don't have any time for me, and I have to always go into your world rather than I was meeting in the middle. It's just a really fractured time for female friendship. I think luckily I've done so much healing now people's kids have got a bit older. But I think that's I think that's really challenging. I think the other thing people don't want you about is if you're a career person, which I am kind of obsessed with it, if you've been working like a dog since For me, it like predates college, since I was like a teenager writing for local papers or doing whatever I was.
Speaker 1: Doing, like fifteen plus years.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, the minute that you really hit the ground running with work, you can start to make proper money, where you're starting to really work with the people who want to work with, where you're really leveling up every year with all the work that you're doing. That's the exact moment that every doctor you see will tell you you're about to run out of time to have children.
Speaker 3: Geriatric pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is really so deeply the two things.
Speaker 4: Happen exactly the same time. Everyone at work says, we need you all the time.
Speaker 1: How have you thought about it now or how do you think about it now?
Speaker 4: I can't wait for the day whether either have a baby. I don't have a baby, and this doesn't This isn't something I have to think about it anymore. It would be allowed to say I never think about it at all. I've definitely gone through some very personal experiences that have helped me surrender a bit more. There's only so much proactive stuff you can do, which is hard for women like us because everything else we want to.
Speaker 3: Do we do, we do it, we study, we do the work, and we do it ourselves or we do it ourselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can't do that with this, really, So surrender's helped perspective, I think has really helped, and I'm feeling I'm weirdly feeling way calmer about it. At thirty five, then I did it, say thirty three, that's great? Yeah, where are you now with it?
Speaker 1: I think about it almost every night before I go to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I play like a future life out and I'm like, okay, if I start dating somebody in six months, then I date them for a year and then do I get prepped, Like I just start playing this fake life out and I don't know where it lands.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you something that really really helped me. Yeah, you know, And there's a reason why. If you look at all my favorite writers and directors credit go Amy Schumer, Lena's on him, they all approached motherhood late though early forties. That's not a coincidence why that happened. And I remember one of those women saying to me, Dolly, I was like, yeah, you're wage to thirty three. I was single at the time. I was freaking out about it, doing the maths of like if I meet this person then, and it would kind of make me freak out about work opportunities. I'd be like, right, if I have to be on set abroad for a year, but what if I didn't meet anyone. That's a year. You can't think about your life like that. And she said to me once, you said, the biggest regret of my life is thirty to thirty five is a really magic period in a woman's life because you're still really youthful and you things are starting to really go away with work. You know who you are, You're more confident that should be a time where we are in our absolute power, that we should be long cloud nine, rather than lying in bed every night feeling ashamed and anxious about this thing that our male counterparts that are busy working aren't really doing. And she was like, my biggest regret was that that time in my life I wasn't present and I didn't make the most of it. I didn't enjoy it, and I didn't stand in my power because I was freaking out all the time about this fucking baby shit. And then she had her babies at thirty nine and forty one. She said, totally, once you have babies, I'm sure you can speak to this. It's all about babies. It's no going back your life. It's just all about the babies. It's all about being a parent when you become a parent. So do rush to that bit because you gotta go back after that.
Speaker 3: I think that's true. I also think I'm one of those moms that you described who has babies who are turning into little people.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when I think about it, motherhood like it's kind of like every other dream job I've ever had. Interesting, you get the dream job and you realize, Wow, this isn't what I thought it was going to be in a lot of ways, so true, and then once you got that thing that you really want a few months years later, your life kind of equalizes again.
Speaker 4: That's I think that is so accurate from everything that I think, that's like the universal experience. Yeah, for most women. I am in a position now where I actually could have a baby for the you know, for the first time for a long time. I'm in such a flex I'm in a personal situation and everything situation where I could do that, and I don't want to right now because something I realized is thirty thirty five. If all you're thinking about all the time is the maths of can I do this? Can I do this? Am I going to get left behind? Am I going to miss out? What you stopped thinking about is do I want to be a parent And what's it like to have small children like babies and small children in my life? And how's that going to affect my life? And I think so many, not so many. A few women I know I've been honest about the fact that they rushed into this thing because they were really panicked about it, and they and they were like, oh, few, I can get pregnant, and I found the right guy, and then the baby came and they hadn't kind of thought about what happens.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's so true.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You actually gave me a lot of peace.
Speaker 4: Oh, I hope. So you've got a lot of time. It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: We've got to take another break. But when we come back, we're going down memory lane with some of Dolly's old thoughts on men, dating and love from her Everything I Know About Love memoir. We'll find out if she still thinks faking orgasms is a good idea stick around. We're back with Dolly Alderton. Okay, we're going through some of the standout sentiments you've written about love in your memoir Everything I Know About Love. So let's see what still holds up for you. Okay, all right, So we're going to start with a quote that you gave when you were a teenager. You said that quote, romantic love is the most important love in the entire world. If you don't have it when you're a proper grown up, you've failed. How do you feel about the importance of romantic love.
Speaker 4: Now, Maad, I've seen about it. I mean this truth is I am a real romantic and I've lived a very romantic life, even though I haven't had a lot of long term relationships. I think here's what I think. I think the great human quandary for a lot of us, particularly women, is the need for autonomy and freedom and independent sense of self and achievement. I think that's so natural, and that is counterweighted in a total opposition with the need for a partner and the need need for security and domestic safety and romance and sex. So I'm really interested now in how we balance those two things. That's my very diplomatic answer.
Speaker 1: It's great, Dolly, it's time to talk about orgasms.
Speaker 2: At twenty one years old, you said orgasms are easy to fake and make both parties feel good do a good deal of the day.
Speaker 1: Do you still subscribe to that sentiment.
Speaker 4: No, I can't believe I have a faked.
Speaker 1: I did too. It hasn't everyone.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I remember the day that I said no, I can't do this anymore. And it was because tell me about the day. It was because it was in my twenties and it was with a guy I really really liked. And the problem is if you fake early then when you stop faking, which you want to do if you've fallen in love because you were real into pacy and connection.
Speaker 1: People go into marriages faking.
Speaker 3: It, I know.
Speaker 4: But then when you start the guys like, well, what happened? Why is this not working anymore?
Speaker 3: And whenever?
Speaker 1: This is boldero.
Speaker 4: Twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty young.
Speaker 2: But do you think yeah, I think I stopped thinking at like thirty, really yeah.
Speaker 4: Because I do think the problem is men aren't told that it's more complicated and takes longer, and that that's the thing, Like if everyone knew that that everyone could be chilly, like if you fake then or like even if you don't fake, the fear is that they're going to think they're not good or something with their ego. It's like, let's just get all the information out there. Then no one will feel under any pressure.
Speaker 3: This next one is hilarious. At twenty five years old, you said, quote online dating is for losers and I include myself in that. Is that still how you feel?
Speaker 4: Do you remember a time you guys must remember a time where it was like it was so embarrassing to before tinder.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there was a light of shame around it.
Speaker 4: It was so like I have friends who I'm pretty sure have lied to me about how they met them. Oart know, if they met them pre Tinder, on Plenty of Fish or whatever. I think dating apps I think they've brought their own whole host of problems, but I think they really make sense in particularly in city life, the way that we live, the scarcity of time that we have. I don't think anyone should feel ashamed about being on a dating app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this next one is my favorite.
Speaker 2: At twenty five years old, Dolly, you said, if a man has always been single at forty five, there's a reason don't stick around to find out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do you think I stand by that?
Speaker 3: My mom says this to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at thirty three, I'm getting into the age range of like forty five could be okay to date.
Speaker 4: By the way, forty five is the perfect age.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can offline about it, guys.
Speaker 3: Here's the flip side of this that no one wants to talk about. Is the same true for women at forty five? No?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it's the same.
Speaker 3: It's for men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it is.
Speaker 4: Because here's the difference with women, particularly women of our generation, the dating app generation. Our generation have been massively let down by millennial men because I understand why they've done this, and if I were a man, may be able to done the same. I think millennial men have been afforded a kind of lifelong boyhood, and I think because of the advent of dating apps and the fact that they don't have the biological pressure that we have, a lot of men of our generation will be settling down in their forties and fifties with much younger women, which leaves the generation of millennial women kind of fucked unless they're going older.
Speaker 1: Right or younger at twenty eight years old. You said men love a naked woman.
Speaker 2: All other bells and whistles are an expensive waste of time.
Speaker 4: I do agree.
Speaker 3: What are the bells and whistles?
Speaker 4: Lingerie, lingerie, fake tan, all this crazy stuff we do?
Speaker 3: But we do those things because we can't walk around naked off the time. But that's why we do this thing.
Speaker 4: But you know, the performance or the basically I think what I'm getting out there is I feel so fine getting naked with a man now for the first time.
Speaker 1: Daly, you shure Diese, but I now know.
Speaker 4: Through a lot of field research. Let's say, men really don't care how big you are or small you are, if you're perky tids or psachityds. They just don't care. If they're into you and you're sexy and they enjoy your company, they are just so happy or naked, it doesn't make any difference at all. I wish I could make young women understand that. Yeah, because I really I'm not trying to make people feel better, it's really true.
Speaker 3: That is such a great reminder, Daly, you have been so much fun. Thank you so much for entertaining and informing us. Before we let you go, we have to call out that you're the first international expert that we've had. On the bright side, so when it comes to dating, what dating principle have you found to be universal?
Speaker 4: Okay, here's my best dating tip, Thurst. Date don't do them on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. And what I mean by that is practically, don't use your most important times of your week to invest it in a stranger, but psychologically don't invest in a stranger. Really approach it all with lightness. Go for a Wednesday afternoon drink, then have a dinner with someone else planned.
Speaker 3: Afterwards double bocom. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just think when you're in trouble with dating apps is it's the over investment in people that don't owe you your future. So move through it lightly and then you can have fun.
Speaker 2: You just saved me so much because I get stuck at a table with somebody because I can talk.
Speaker 4: And then you make them have a great day and terrible time.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, sorry, I have dinner, I gotta go. Yeah, exactly, Gollie, thank you so much, so lovely.
Speaker 4: I've loved this, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I don't want this to end. We could talk to you all day, so you'll just have to come back. Will you come back your next book?
Speaker 4: I will, yeah, And well may I'll come back and we have spicy mogs down the road. Please.
Speaker 3: You're speaking my love language now. Dolly Alderton is a best selling author and advice calumnist. That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, it's Wellness Wednesday, y'all. Stress expert doctor Adit Narukar is here to tell us how to manage our stress levels and alleviate burnout.
Speaker 2: Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm simone Voice. You can find me at simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's r O B A.
Speaker 3: Y See you tomorrow, folks. Keep looking on the bright side.