Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Our colleague David Rubinstein, Carlisle, co founder, host of Peer to Peer on Bloomberg Television, sitting down with Alejandro my orcis. As you can see right now on Bloomberg Television, let's watch and listen together of our.
Speaker 3: Homeland Security Advisory Council in the Department of Homeland Security and the.
Speaker 1: Jewel thief that I am.
Speaker 3: I just stole Matthew Ferraro from the law from to join us and be a senior counselor on matters of technology.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, let me talk about the elephant in the room, because you were the second secretary in the history of our country to be impeached. What was it like living through that impeachment process and is it finally over now?
Speaker 3: To the best of my knowledge, it's over, so you know, quite frankly, I have said publicly a number of times that I did not allow it to distract me. That was actually sincere I focused intensely on my work throughout. In a week where it was an issue of greater prominence in the life of the department, I might have spent twenty minutes on it. I really just focused on my work. It had its impact on loved ones.
Speaker 4: So it's behind us now. Though, as Will Rogers once said, and paraphrasing him, the country is never safe as long as the house is in session, right, So you never know, but may never come back, right.
Speaker 1: One would hope not.
Speaker 4: Okay, So let's talk about the border. It appears that there are a lot of people coming in over the border. This is obviously one of the subjects of that people wanted to impeach you. Some people wanted to them peach you over. Is it really that we're getting more people coming in over the border illegally or is it just the appearance of that?
Speaker 3: Oh no, No, The number of encounters at the southern border is very high, but it's very very important number one to contextualize it and number two to explain it from a context perspective. The world is seeing the greatest level of displacement since at least World War Two. I think the recent report was that there are seventy three million displaced people in the United States. And so the challenge of migration is not exclusive to the southern border, nor to the western hemisphere.
Speaker 1: It is global.
Speaker 3: And when I speak to partners across the Atlantic. It's the first issue that they raise, The first challenge that what is the reason for that? So well? One has the customary reasons of displacement, violence insecurity, poverty, corruption, authoritarian regimes, now increasingly extreme weather events that propel people to leave.
Speaker 1: Why are we experiencing what we are?
Speaker 3: It is for those very reasons why people leave their countries of origin. We also remember, in our hemisphere we overcame COVID more rapidly than any other country. We had, in a post COVID world, eleven million jobs to fill. We are a country of choice as a destination. And one takes those two forces, and then one considers the fact that we have an immigration system that is broken fundamentally and we have a level of encounter that we do. And when we speak of a broken system, let me just capture that as succinctly as I can. The average time between encounter and the point of final adjudication of an asylum claim is seven plus years. Approximately seventy percent of the people who meet an initial threshold for asylum the credible fear standard about seventy qualify and so they stay for seven plus years and the ultimate adjudication about twenty percent qualify. That's quite a disparity. But people in the meantime leave that are able to stay sometimes have children. US citizen children attend our schools, attend our places of worship, but integrate in the community.
Speaker 4: I understand, But why wouldn't somebody who coming in illegally always say they're seeking political asylum because based on what you just said, they're likely to be here for seven years. Why not just say I'm not smuggling drugs, I'm just a political asylum seeker. Why doesn't anybody do that.
Speaker 3: The drug Let's separate drug smuggling from migration, David, The fact of the matter is that we have an extraordinary number of people aiming asylum and a greatly reduced number of people qualifying for it. The reality is that people do claim asylum when in fact they are fleeing poverty, generalize violence, and that does not an asylum case make. But the initial threshold for an asylum case is low, and purposely low. And one of the things that the bipartisan legislation would have done is would have raised the all right.
Speaker 4: So in our country, if somebody seeks political asylum and they legitimately need political asylum, is it our law that they automatically get it if they have legitimate means. There's no quotas or anything on how many people we can accept for a political asylum.
Speaker 3: There is no quota on the asylum population, and one just has to persuade a judge.
Speaker 4: So you've been Homeland Security secretary under President Biden from the beginning administration. So how many people would you say since that time have come over the border, the southern border, let's say, illegally seeking asylum. They're bringing drugs or whatever they're doing.
Speaker 3: I do want to differentiate because we're in a political environment that demonizes individuals encountered at the border, and there's a vulnerability to painting with a broad brush people who are fleeing in coming to the United States. And so I want to separate and I will be incessant in this separate rug smugglers from individuals seeking asylum or even if they don't have a basis to remain in the United States.
Speaker 1: Seeking a better life.
Speaker 3: And so the number of encounters have been very well published this past year. This past month, we had about one hundred and thirty four thousand encounters in.
Speaker 4: This past month, say, since the beginning of the administration. Is it millions of people? It's several million people. The perception is by I guess some Republicans in the House side perhaps maybe others, that more people have been coming in under President Biden than under President Trump. Is that true or not?
Speaker 1: That is that is true? Now?
Speaker 3: Twenty nineteen, there was almost a one hundred percent increase in the number of encounters of the Southern border over twenty eighteen. The situation in the Hemisphere was propelling people to leave their country. Twenty twenty was a period of tremendously suppressed migration throughout the Hemisphere and around the world because of the COVID nineteen.
Speaker 4: People coming over the border illegally in the Southern Border, what percentage of them are really drug smugglers?
Speaker 3: The majority of fentyl over ninety percent of the fentinyls smuggled into this entry is smuggled in passenger vehicles and commercial trucks traveling through are ports of entry.
Speaker 4: So it's not people carrying it on their body.
Speaker 1: It is not people carrying it on their body.
Speaker 4: What about people who are hired who want to get a better life. They hire people for money to get them across the border. Is that a big problem as well?
Speaker 3: So let me let me go back and make one other point about the ports of entry. The majority of people arrested seeking to smuggle fentanyl into the country through commercial trucks and passenger vehicles are United States citizens?
Speaker 4: What do with them?
Speaker 3: So they're arrested for drug smuggling and under Title twenty one of the United States Code, they're prosecuted. So with respect to your question about, you know, people coming across the border, what we need, What we need fundamental mentally is a reformed system, a legislatively reformed system.
Speaker 1: We are in twenty twenty four. The world has changed.
Speaker 3: Our immigration system was last changed in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: We're in a different world now.
Speaker 4: Well, there was legislation that was developed, i think in the Senate, bipartisan legislation, and it got stalled. Let's say, in the House. Would that have solved our problem?
Speaker 3: Had it passed, it would have been a transformative change in managing the number of people we encounter.
Speaker 4: What was the main thing that would have been in that law that we don't have now that you would have liked to have.
Speaker 3: So we would have taken a seven plus year time period between the time of encounter and final adjudication and reduced it to as little as ninety days. And that changes an intending migrants risk calculus, because if they know that they can stay from multiple years and work and make more money than they can and safely so than in their country of origin, they will decide to make that journey. If they understand that they have to pay their life savings to a smuggling organization only to stay for a matter of weeks, that is a very different risk calculus. And one of your prior questions was do they pay people to assist them? The world of migration has changed dramatically over the last even fifteen years. We're not dealing with the coyotes that I dealt with as a federal prosecutor, that where they smuggle two three people at a time. We're dealing with extraordinarily sophisticated smuggling organizations in a multi billion dollar industry that is also international.
Speaker 4: But that industry is it one design to bring drugs into the United States or designed to get people to come United States for which they get a fee.
Speaker 1: It is the latter.
Speaker 3: But what we are seeing, and it should be unsurprising to everyone that we're seeing a.
Speaker 1: Not quite a merger, I would say.
Speaker 3: A synthesis of transnational criminal organizations and the smuggling organizations.
Speaker 1: There's so much money to be made.
Speaker 4: And fentanel is coming from China. Is that true?
Speaker 3: Well, China is a primary source of precursor chemicals and the equipment used to manufacture fednyls.
Speaker 4: How does it get over from China to let's say Mexico.
Speaker 3: It is shipped to Mexico, and it also comes domestically to the United States and follows various transit routes. And which is why I engaged with my counterpart from the People's Republic of China to address this fact.
Speaker 4: The people who are now coming over? Are we separating families? Other words, under the Trump administration, there was a lot of controversy children being separated from parents. Is that happening now or not happening?
Speaker 3: No, that was a deliberate practice to deter families from reaching the southern border. Was the separation of them That was condemned across the board. Cruelty is not something that is an instrument of a value based country, and we eliminated that practice. I actually was eliminated in all fairness. Towards the end of the Trump administration, we issued a policy preventing it, and we actually the president created a Family Reunification Task Force that I chair that is actually reuniting separated families.
Speaker 4: Okay, so President Trump a campaign when he first campaigned for president on creating a wall, and I guess some part of the wall was built. But would not a wall have helped somewhat if we had a big wall? Would that not block people from coming even though people like to make fun of the wall and expensive, would not have had some impact and reducing illegal immigration.
Speaker 3: So look, in the twenty first century, I wouldn't necessarily propose cementing ballards on the ground and constructing an immovable wall given the dynamism and the rapid change in migratory patterns. But I just have to quote Secretary of Politano. You build a twenty foot wall, they'll build a twenty one foot ladder. And we see breaches of the wall all the time. We're seeing the corrosion and collapse of the wall in other places. But people breach physical barriers. It requires a much more comprehensive approach.
Speaker 4: So why wouldn't people come over the northern border where somehow come out. Nobody seems to be monitoring the Canadian border that much, I guess, So isn't easier to come into the country illegally through Canada?
Speaker 3: And we monitor the northern border of the United States US customs and border protection. Some of the terrain is very difficult to traverse. We have a different legal structure with Canada. We have a Safe third Country agreement with Canada and the reality and Canada also has different approaches to migration into their country. Then do some of the countries in Latin America.
Speaker 4: If you wanted to come into this country illegally. Let's suppose you were you want to come in.
Speaker 1: Let's say if one wanted to come in.
Speaker 4: One wanted to what would you recommend to that one person that they do about the best way to get into this country illegally?
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 3: I would caution them and encourage them to apply for a visa, and if in fact they seek humanitarian relief, to actually avail them themselves of the lawful pathways that we have established so that they don't risk their lives in the hands of smugglers.
Speaker 4: All right, what percentage of people die trying to get into this country, they're shot by somebody or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know, David, a percentage, but I will share with you having spoken to families who cross the Dairy enn the area between Colombia and Panama, the suffering and the trauma is extraordinary.
Speaker 4: So what is the country that is sending the most people illegally over the southern border? Is it Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela. Where are they mostly coming from?
Speaker 1: It varies, It varies from time to time.
Speaker 3: I would just say that the population right now, demographically, the population of individuals whom we are encountering at the southern border in between the ports of entry predominantly right now Mexican, Mexican.
Speaker 4: Okay, So let's oppose the legislation that didn't pass. Maybe eventually it'll pass, But until then, can you not administratively do things that was in the legislation or are you already doing that?
Speaker 3: The legislation did a number of things. The two pillars were It gave us the legal tools, statutorial statutory tools to vastly accelerate the adjudication of claims for humanitarian relief, and that means we could remove people more quickly who do not qualify and quite frankly, we could give protection with finality to people who do much more rapidly, and it resourced us. It resourced us to effect that dramatic change. We were talking about alatiece of legislation that would equip us with four thousand, three hundred more asylum officers, more immigration judges, just plus up the entire system in a way that we now just don't have.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me ask you a few other questions related to this. So right now, the homeland Department of Homeland Security was created after nine to eleven? Do you feel we are much safer today than we were before nine to eleven because of the Department? I do much more and much at a nine to eleven event occur again, or you.
Speaker 3: Know, it is our job and not just the Department of Homeland Security, but the federal government, in partnership with state and local, tribal, territorial law enforcement and the American citizenry, to be vigilant because the threat landscape, as direct array of the FBI is accurately communicated publicly.
Speaker 1: We're in a heightened threat environment.
Speaker 4: So a number of people I think from Homeland Security and or the CIA or NSA have gone to Capitol Hill and said that TikTok is a danger to our nation security. But the public hasn't been given that much detailed information about what the threat is. How much of a threat to our nation security is TikTok.
Speaker 1: The People's Republic of China.
Speaker 3: Acts adversely to the interests of the United States in different ways. One of those ways is through the dissemination of disinformation, the intentional communication of false statements, and TikTok is an extraordinary avenue through which to disseminate disinformation to millions and millions of people.
Speaker 4: But newspapers can disseminate this information. Why is it If it's over social media, it's got to be banned. If a newspaper says the kind of same things that is over TikTok wouldn't be banned because of the First Amendment. Why is the First Amendment not protecting the TikTok social media devices?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not to me an issue of the First Amendment. It's an issue of security. As we are talking about a company and an algorithm that is controlled by a foreign state that acts adversely to the interests of the United States, and we have an obligation.
Speaker 1: To protect Americans.
Speaker 4: But the presumption is that people aren't smart enough to know that it's disinformation and they can't make the decision for themselves. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, we're talking about many, many young people that access TikTok. I would posit that in this country we don't have the level of digital literacy that I think we.
Speaker 1: Would all want.
Speaker 3: We're all vulnerable to disinformation, and the reality is is that we have an obligation to safeguard against it. We're talking about the intentional dissemination of false information.
Speaker 4: Okay, I should disclose that my firm is an investor in White Dance, so I'm not personally an investor, but my firm did invest in it. So let me go on to another subject then, Okay, so what is you know?
Speaker 1: My answers would have stayed the same had I known that at the outset.
Speaker 4: Okay, I didn't think you were going to change. But do you have children who ever watch TikTok or you tell them not to do that?
Speaker 3: You know the one maxim from law school that I remember very clearly. I don't think our older daughter it looks at TikTok, our younger daughter does.
Speaker 1: The law abhors a useless act. That is a maxim I.
Speaker 3: Remember, And so if I admonished our nineteen year old daughter to not access TikTok, I'm not sure I would succeed.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you ever watch TikTok yourself?
Speaker 3: She is a digitally no, she is a digitally literate consumer of information.
Speaker 4: What is the biggest security threat to the United States right now in your view?
Speaker 3: So I would in the terrorism context, I would say the threat of foreign terrorism has re emerged with a greater level of significance, and the threat of domestic violent extremists individuals or loose affiliations of individuals who are radicalized to violence because of ideologies of hate which are only increasing, especially after the October seventh terrorist attacks against Israel, of anti government sentiments, false narratives, other narratives propagated on.
Speaker 4: But you feel better about our homeland security today than you did ten years ago or twenty years ago, you think, I do?
Speaker 3: I think the Department and the Homeland Security Prize writ large has matured and advanced tremendously.
Speaker 4: And today who are the best at cyber terrorism? Is it China? North Korea? Who do you think has the greatest capabilities of doing damage to our country. In terms of foreign countries through cyber.
Speaker 3: I would say there are four China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea, okay.
Speaker 4: And in our country you can go if you're really good at cyber or something like that, you can go work for a venture firm, make lots of money and so forth. If you go work in the US government, you're not going to get paid as much. So is the US government able to get really top flight cyber people who can compete with the people from overseas, or do we not have the best people in our government working on these problems because we can't pay them enough.
Speaker 3: We have the best people in the government, and there are the best people in the private sector as well. You raise an issue where we had a debate internally to draw to attract the best cyber talent, should we increase the salaries of those individuals to be able to better compete. We of course cannot close the divide, but we could shrink it and come out. And so I lost this debate because we did increase the salaries. And my position is very difficult for me to stand in front of a group of border patrol agents that risk their lives every day, risk their lives every day and say I've got to pay cyber talent. I got to kick up their salary a little bit to come to work for the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Because I will tell you.
Speaker 3: The compensation in public service is different than a material compensation. So there are your sense of fulfillment, and there is a commitment to service. And if one does not feel that that is enough, then then one should choose otherwise.
Speaker 1: So I disagreed with the plus.
Speaker 4: Up but didn't get done.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it got done.
Speaker 4: It got done. So now we're paying people five percent more.
Speaker 1: We're paying people a little bit more. And we look in AI talent.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have an AI recruiting effort underway, and I've hit the road in recruiting. Uh you know data scientists and the like. And I don't talk to them about the salary. I talk to them about what it means.
Speaker 4: Well, are you using AI now already to kind of help?
Speaker 1: We are, We are, and our department is leading in the use.
Speaker 4: And you give us any examples without violating now security about how AI is helping.
Speaker 3: So let me let me let me share with you one example of how it has demonstrated its capacity for good as well as otherwise. And then I'll share with you a couple pilots that we have going on. We fight online child sexual exploitation and abuse. Eighty million images disseminated.
Speaker 1: Worldwide last year.
Speaker 3: I don't think people understand the extent of the problem. We used AI to take a photograph of a young girl who disappeared at the age of about seven, and we used AI to extrapolate what that young girl would look like now ten years later.
Speaker 1: Ten years later.
Speaker 3: Our ability to make that extrapolation using AI was so effective that our law enforcement officers were able to identify that seventeen year old, find her and rescue her.
Speaker 1: Remarkable off let me flip, Let me flip it.
Speaker 3: We then see AI being used to generate an image of a child that doesn't exist, or a child that does exist, and depict that child real or artificial, depict that child being sexually exploited, and it causes our law enforcement officers to devote resources on a decoy or errant mission. And so it's potential for good and it's potential for harm or real.
Speaker 4: Oh, can you tell what I'll look like in five or ten years?
Speaker 1: You will not have changed one bit.
Speaker 4: Really wow, I like that artificial intelligence. So let's talk about your background. You don't come to the cabinet with this conventional background of many people who have this position. So where were you born?
Speaker 1: I was born in Havana, Cuba.
Speaker 4: Really and what age did you lead?
Speaker 3: My parents brought my sister and me here to the United States as political refugees when I was about one.
Speaker 4: And did they come in I legally or illegally?
Speaker 1: They came in illegally. My father.
Speaker 3: Was a bit prescient. Although we didn't leave early, but we left early enough.
Speaker 4: So there isn't that big a Cuban or wasn't that big a Cuban Jewish community. But your mother and father were both Jewish. Her father was Sephardic, yes, and his ancestors came from.
Speaker 1: His father was from Turkey, his mother from Poland.
Speaker 4: And your mother was Ashkenazi Jewish.
Speaker 3: My mother fled Romania to France, France to Cuba late. Her father lost eight brothers and other family in the concentration camps. They left so late they couldn't get to his and our policies at that time were not as welcoming as one would have hoped. At a time of great human distress.
Speaker 4: Okay, So they came to the United States legally? Where did they come?
Speaker 3: So we arrived in Miami and we lived in Miami until my father found a better work opportunity in Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 4: You were growing up in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: I grew up for most in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: And you speak Spanish fluently.
Speaker 3: I speak at my grammar is not something that I take great pride in.
Speaker 4: Okay, So where did you go to high school?
Speaker 1: I went to Beverly Hills High School.
Speaker 4: Beverly Hills High School with a lot of movie stars kids and things like that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting that you would you consider Jack Abramoff a movie star. I don't remember any movie stars. You know, when you hear probably when everyone hears Beverly Hills High School, they think.
Speaker 1: You know the Clampett family.
Speaker 3: There were four elementary schools that fed into the high school. Two were tended to be of a more affluent community, and the other two were quite frankly modest. I grew up in a lower middle class the middle class home, never wanting for anything, an incredibly close family.
Speaker 4: You have siblings.
Speaker 3: I have three siblings and they're all alive. They're all alive in Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 4: And are they interested in homeland security or not so much?
Speaker 1: They are probably recent devotees.
Speaker 4: So where did you go to Where did you go to college?
Speaker 1: I went to University of California at Berkeley.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a pretty good school. So how did you do there?
Speaker 1: I did pretty well?
Speaker 4: And did you say I want to be a Homeland security secretary someday?
Speaker 3: I don't think I've had that level of hubris any time in my life.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you graduate mayor Then you went to law school in Los ange Loyal Law School. Loyola is a Catholic school. You're a Jewish, so they have a lot of people are Jewish there. I presume right, it was a mixed student body. Okay, all right, So you graduated from law school and what did you do?
Speaker 3: I went into a law firm. I wanted to go into public service. This country has given my family everything, and I very much wanted to give back. I wanted to go into public service, and I had my eyes on the United States Attorney's Office in Los Angeles. They required three years of experience, and so I gained three years of experience in a private law firm and then went into the US Attorney's office.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you were a litigator.
Speaker 3: I was a federal prosecutor in the practice litigator.
Speaker 4: So you went in as a federal prosecutor, and you were an assistant US attorney in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: For eight and a half years, specializing in sophisticated fraud cases.
Speaker 4: Did any of your people ever get off when you took on the trial or they were convicted?
Speaker 1: Everybody? One individual?
Speaker 3: We ended up resolving the case after a adverse verdict in a case that was quasi criminal. One doesn't suffer an adverse verdict and get a chance to retry a case in a criminal obviously double jeopardy. But this was a quasi forfeiture case. In the first trial, the jury voted to for the defendant. The judge actually issued a verdict, not a ruling. Notwithstanding the verdict, felt that the jury had aired gravely.
Speaker 1: We took it to trial again.
Speaker 4: Okay, and so pretty well, so you became the US attorney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me let me share something with you.
Speaker 3: When I became the US attorney at the age of thirty eight, Yes, yeah, I think I might have been ultimately confirmed at thirty nine. But when I was the U S Attorney, I communicated to all of the supervisors in law enforcement that during my tenure the acquittal rate would go up. And I received a standing ovation, And I'll share with you why. And Jamie knows this as the former Deputy Attorney General. Law enforcement will never take issue with an adverse verdict if one took a tough case to trial and one worked one hundred percent and invested everything one could in reaching a just outcome. But what law enforcement will criticize is the prosecutor who's hesitant to take a tough case to trial even though it's the it's a just and righteous case. And sometimes you take tough cases and the jury does the right thing. And sometimes you know, they say when the play is cast in Hell, the actors aren't angels. We have tough witnesses. Some they come with their own baggage. I could tell a story that will make everybody in this room quake about an acquittal. You know, we had it one case where the defendant won. Two defendants won, the United States Marshals and the guards in the detention center, the warden and the United States Marshal during trial communicated to me a deep concern if this individual was not convicted, because the guards and the marshals who have seen everything, said that they around this individual. They felt they were around what the warden said is Lucifer. There was something about this individual. That case rested on a very difficult witness who was a drug user and the like, and the jury just couldn't do it, and they just felt they couldn't rely on this one witness, not exclusively, but predominantly in finding beyond a simple doubt. And that individual who was accused of stealing drugs from drug dealers and gratuitously setting one of them on fire to their death and chopping the other one up gratuitously, that individual acquitted law enforcement. We took it to trial. I wasn't a trial er, but we took it to trial. I was on that case intensely. They they thanked us for doing everything that we could, just as that investigator had done everything he could.
Speaker 4: But the person got off. The person got off, And what happened to the person don't know, don't maybe ran for Congress or something. No, no, so, did you ever convict anybody that you thought shouldn't have been conded, Oh my gosh, absolutely not everybody you put it never.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 3: This is a matter of ethics, kays, a matter of integrity. Never can one have a sentilla of doubt with respect to the guilt of the individual whites process.
Speaker 4: Right, so us attorney and then you finished that and you go back to the practice of law. Yes, it went to O'Melveny, o'melvinie and Myers in Los Angeles. Right, So you got involved in the Did you get involved in the campaign when Barack Obama was running for president? Were you involved in his campaign anyway? I was okay. So you ultimately get involved in the transition with Barack Obama, yep.
Speaker 3: I led the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice transition.
Speaker 4: To and you took a position in the Obama administration. Initially what was your position?
Speaker 3: The position was the Director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, an agency within the department that administers the legal legal immigration site. Right.
Speaker 4: And then after that you got promoted to be the Deputy Homeland Security Secretary under Janet Napolitano. Yes, okay, And so that didn't convince you that this is a complicated area and you shouldn't want to come back as secretary, or that.
Speaker 3: I am complicated, difficult, challenging, and extraordinarily full fright.
Speaker 4: So you go back after the President Obama Leave's office, you go back, you join help Wilma Hill Hail, and you're in what's city in here in Washington? Okay, so you're a partner there. How did you get connected to the Biden administration? Did they remember you from the Obama administration or they did They just called you up and said, guess what, we liked you as deputy, Now you can be the secretary.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say it was in that way, but I was.
Speaker 3: Extraordinarily proud to be contacted by the incoming president, the president elect, to be considered.
Speaker 4: And did your family say we're making a lot of money here your way up here in compensation and you're going to go down here again? And that was a factor. No, you didn't care, Okay, didn't he wouldn't be. It is what it is, what it is, Okay, all right? So what was your confirmation like? Was that unanimous or.
Speaker 1: Oh? I wouldn't say it was unanimous.
Speaker 3: I will tell you that I was confirmed unanimously twice until I touched immigration. I was confirmed unanimously to be the Director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, and after that I did not enjoy too easy confirmation proceedings. My confirmation as as Secretary was along party lines, and when you do that when you're not entirely There were a few Republicans in the United States Senate who voted to confirm me, well predominantly.
Speaker 4: It kind of confirmation you have to pay yourself for the legal services or getting confirmed, if you have to pay accounting fees or how do you get confirmed without having to spend a lot of money on legal or accounting things to fill out forms.
Speaker 1: I filling them out oneself.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, save money that way, Okay, I didn't spend any money, all right. So let's talk about the Department of Homeland Security. How many people work at the Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: About two hundred and sixty thousand. Where are they third largest department in the federal government.
Speaker 4: And are they working remotely?
Speaker 3: Both some remote and some in person and our frontline personnel don't have the option of working remotely.
Speaker 4: What are the main parts of it? I know you have certain parts that were put together out of Treasury Department other things. What are your main divisions?
Speaker 3: I don't think people really understand the expanse of our remit of our mission in the immigration area and in others US Customs and Border Protection. Why do I say others, Trade and travel, TSA, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency FEMA, United States Secret Service? Those are seven United States Coastguard the eighth. The expanse of our portfolio is extraordinary, from online child sexual exploitation and abuse, crimes of exploitation, human trafficking, to facilitating lawful trade and travel, to search and rescue and security in the Arctic and the Indo Pacific, to addressing the flooding yesterday and today in Houston, Texas, where we have a number of fatalities, and the frequency and gravity of extreme weather events is only growing, the cyber attacks from China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, it's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: You ever get a weekend off, you don't have to worry about some crisis somewhere.
Speaker 1: I take My goal is to take half a Saturday.
Speaker 4: Half a Saturday? Okay? And how do you stay in shape? Are you an exerciser or a warrior?
Speaker 1: That's a.
Speaker 3: You know, let me tell you if worry sheds weight, I just appear.
Speaker 4: I work out and so can you go to a restaurant and knocks off, and you go to Washington a restaurant in Washington without people giving you tips or something about some homeland security violation somewhere?
Speaker 3: Do you mean they give and I walk into a restaurant without someone commending us for the extraordinary work we do?
Speaker 4: Does that happen a lot?
Speaker 3: Keep keeping the American people safe and secure. I am approached from time to time and other times not.
Speaker 4: What's the biggest complaint you get about TSA agents?
Speaker 1: Let me let me let me say this.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago, ten years ago, the concern was am I going to ten plus years ago? Am I going to board my flight and reach my destination safely? That was the concern. Am I going to reach my destination safely?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: The concern is how fascile will my travel experience be?
Speaker 1: How long will I need to wait in line? We have moved a lot.
Speaker 4: But sometimes people get through the TSA system. They get on the plane and they're drunk, or they hit a flight attendant, and then I never read about their going to jail. They just seem to kind of go away what are you been doing about that?
Speaker 1: David? I share your perspective.
Speaker 3: I remember as an assistant United States attorney, anyone messed around in a plane up in the air, they were prosecuted was a federal defense.
Speaker 1: The level of disruption.
Speaker 3: In a post COVID world is unprecedented in scope and scale, and I actually believe that the enforcement regime is not active enough.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you share my view, I do. Okay, So if you're if you if President Biden is re elected, would you continue to serve in this position?
Speaker 3: I will tell you that I believe in the president, and I believe in his prerogative to decide who his cabinet.
Speaker 4: All right, if the members are the president is not re elected, and your best friend and your worst enemy approached you and they said they were offered the job, who would you recommend take it? Your best friend or your worst enemy?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? My I don't have enemies.
Speaker 3: I would absolutely ask my best friend to take the job. And if I had an enemy, I would consider them unqualified.
Speaker 4: Okay, because of your enemy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Okay, So today people are worried about the immigrants coming in illegally, But how many illegal immigrants do you think we have in the country now, and once somebody is in the country illegally, what percentage actually ever get sent out.
Speaker 1: So we have.
Speaker 3: Thus far this fiscal year removed or returned more individuals than any administration I think for at least ten years. So we're removing and returning more people than any administration, including the immediately preceding administration. When we took office, I believe the accounting was approximately eleven point four million undocumented people in the United States.
Speaker 1: We don't have an.
Speaker 3: Update to that number now, but it's been millions and millions because our system has been broken for decades.
Speaker 4: Now, do you are you a responsible for overseeing domestic terrorism too or dealing with that?
Speaker 1: We deal with the domestic.
Speaker 3: Violent extremism, which is the form of domestic terrorism that we're most focused on.
Speaker 1: We deal with it. We deal with it.
Speaker 3: With our partners across the federal enterprise, the FBI intensely.
Speaker 4: So on the Secret Service. Recently, I think candidate running for president, Robert Kennedy's father was assassinated. They didn't have Secret Service protection. Then he has asked for Secret Service protection, hasn't received that. Who makes a decisional who gets Secret Service protection? When you're running for president, I do.
Speaker 3: And what we do is we have set up a process. We have a defined criteria and the process. The process provides for a bipartisan group of congressional leaders to make recommendations to me after they have analyzed the factors that we have established. This is a protocol that was established prior to the Trump administration, and so we resuscitated it. It is a political it is bipartisan, and the factors are apolitical. And I have followed in each each instance the recommendation of the bipartisan group. There has been no light between or amongst us.
Speaker 4: Well, when I worked in the White House one hundred years ago or so, it was a president and the vice president got secrets arty protection.
Speaker 1: As they do now.
Speaker 4: But it seems as if a lot of White House aids and other people have secret chartst protection. It seems like it's proliferated. I mean, how do you decide who gets it, if you're a White House aid or not.
Speaker 3: It is based on a threat assessment, and very sadly, the threat environment in which we are living is more acute than it was when you had the privilege, when you had the privilege of serving. Look we are now in a world where a former government official, not of course the former president, but a former government official is receiving protection because of the threat landscape.
Speaker 4: What about baseball owners that they need secret ary protection? Ever thought about that?
Speaker 3: You know, if I recall my reading of the standings circa this morning, you are safe and secure since you're resting in first place.
Speaker 4: Yes, I hope so. But what happens to go south? We'll see, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: We'll talk again, either before or after we talk about TikTok okay.
Speaker 4: So on the whole people who are watching that, you would like to say to them that they are safer today in the United States than they were ten or twenty or thirty years ago, but we still have big risks.
Speaker 3: I would say the following. I would say, we are safer today than we were yesterday. The threat landscape is heightened and everyone needs to be vigilant because what we have observed. If one takes a look at the domestic violence that has occurred, whether it is the tragic shooting in Buffalo, New York, in the supermarket, whether it is the July fourth parade in a suburb of Chicago, whether it is Uvaldi Texas. What we have learned is that the individuals, the assailants were exhibiting signs of radicalization to violence before they committed their heinous acts. And what we see something say something campaign that Secretary of Nepolitano developed. Really, I think to the general public speaks of the abandoned backpack at a bus stop or in the airport, it doesn't necessarily speak to the individual who is exhibiting signs that should cause us all to worry. And so the question is, and what we are building is an architecture where people understand what the ndisha are and know that what help they can call, because it's not to call the accountability regime, law enforcement because nothing has occurred yet, but to call a trusted source, whether it is a teacher, a faith leader, a mental health practitioner, to say, look, this individual is coming to school in a hazmat suit, or this individual has withdrawn from all social interaction and is communicating messages that speak of an interest in committing a violent act.
Speaker 1: Who do I call?
Speaker 3: What outreach do I make to prevent something from materializing?
Speaker 4: Sometimes when you see people who do these mass shootings, they go into their social media and they say Oh, they said some crazy things two days ago or so forth. But you don't have the resource or capability to look at all crazy things on social media to figure out who's my going to do something crazy? Right?
Speaker 1: That is correct?
Speaker 3: But if they are publishing that in a so that others can see it, what do others do? And that's the muscle that we need to build in this country, how to come to help someone and prevent something from happening. So I would say we're safer. The threat landscape is heightened and everyone needs to be vigilant. Homeland security is an all in proposition.
Speaker 4: I suppose a member of Congress calls you and says, I have a security problem in my district and I'd like you to look into it. And there's a challenge. This person voted to impeach you. What would be your reaction.
Speaker 3: The political position of an individual is irrelevant to a security.
Speaker 4: Analysis, so it doesn't affect you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not in the least.
Speaker 4: You don't remember the names and people that voted against you.
Speaker 1: I guess right, I don't have that good a memory.
Speaker 3: Let me be clearer that I have some very productive relationships and good relationships with some of the people who voted to impeach me.
Speaker 4: But you don't vote it against them.
Speaker 3: You know what I don't. I'm not a person that holds things against people. I live my life to the best of my abilities in a way that would make me my parents another's proud. And then others are going to live their lives and make their decisions.
Speaker 4: Now, the first Homeland Security secretary was a big burly man, former governor of Pennsylvania. You're not a great man. You're not a big burly man. So you're shorter, I've noticed than me. Even so, when people see you and they be very interested to see where this is going. So when people meet you for the first time and they say, I thought I was going to be big. He's in charge of Homeland Security, but he's diminutive. Is that No, that's not about a problem.
Speaker 1: Not for me.
Speaker 3: But let me, let me, let me so I have to share a story with you. But before I do, let me you mentioned Secretary Ridge, a great, a great American. When his portrait was unveiled at the then headquarters, he said, this is very very typical of Washington. First they paint you in a corner, then they frame you. Then they hang you out to dry. So I was as a new assistant United States Attorney. I was dealing with a defense lawyer and he had not met me, and he apparently gathered from my voice that I was tall and big, and so when he first met me in court at a status hearing, he actually thought I was an impostor. He did not believe I was who I was. But then when the judge called the case, he realized I actually was Alejandro Majorcis. He literally did not think I was who I presented myself to be. The judge had not met me before. The defense lawyer was about six foot five and I am almost the inverse little taller than that. And the judge looked at me and looked at him and said, you know, Majorcus, you should be really happy we don't settle this case the old fashioned way.
Speaker 4: So to be very serious, I really want to thank you for your service to the country in many different positions. I would not be as magnanimous as you. If people were voting to impeach me, I probably would have their names memorized. But thank you for what you've done for the country, and thanks for being a very good sport today. Okay, thank you for having me. Thank you, Thank you, David. Thank gift. I have a gift for you. Okay. That was Bloomberg Television's peer to peer host David Rubinstein sitting down at the Economic Club of Washington with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro majorc Is for a wide, raging conversation