Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome in any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I'm delighted to welcome Jane Juncture to the show. She is an ordained Buddhist nun who is also a graduate student. So Jan Junkshure, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Laura, I'm excited to be excited to have you here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay, I am a big shoony, I'm ordained in the Mahayana Buddhist tradition, and currently I'm going into my second year of graduate school.
Speaker 1: Very exciting. Yeah, and you had a different life before in ring a monastery. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, for over a decade I sold tea whole sale tees and yeah, I did sales and marketing and PR.
Speaker 1: Sales and marketing, yes, yeah, And so what led to this pretty big career change.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, from the time I was a teenager. I was always deeply interested in Buddhism, and for a long time I attended the monastery and winter retreats and was you know, very kind of like active in the monastery. But then there was a point where I realized that I wanted to be more serious and I realized that I actually had the potential to pursue them inn astic life, and I saw the way kind of open up in front of me, and I decided to go for it.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful, Yeah, I mean it's it was a big process though, right. It took multiple years.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you've been with me for many of them.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed hearing about your process for sure, because I think people don't understand like what you had to learn a lot. You had to learn a lot of new knowledge, and so it was a fairly intense training. So can you can you talk a little bit about what was involved in the ordination process?
Speaker 2: Certainly? So. I actually began my training in twenty seventeen and I started living in the monastery then. And when I lived in the monastery, I also kind of worked a full monastery schedule and attended about six hours of ceremonies and other events in the Buddha Hall and was just more involved in the community. And then I became a novice in twenty nineteen, and then my schedule got even more hectic, and I was like, Oh, my goodness, how do I do this? And that's when I came across your book one hundred and surs. And I was like, oh, this is actually really helpful because I had no idea how I was going to get it all done, and nothing would fit into twenty four hours. And then when I started looking at things through the space of a week, I was able to start fitting everything in well.
Speaker 1: Because I mean the daily schedule you mentioned, like six hours of ceremonies. Can you maybe talk about what a daily schedule looks like at the monastery so people understand sort of how much you were talking about is trying to be in twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Okay, So in our monastery, we're maybe more strict than other Buddhist monasteries, and we have a very traditional, very rigorous schedule. Monastics and permanent residents who live in the monastery usually wake up around three thirty am, and then we go to ceremony from four to five am, and then there's another ceremony after that universal bowing, which lasts from five to six, and then many people participate in suture recitation from seven to eight and then we have our work period from about eight to ten thirty am, which people have many different jobs around the monasteries, and then we have another small ceremony before lunch ten thirty to eleven am, and then in our tradition, monks and nuns only eat one meal a day, so we have our main meal of the day between about eleven am and twelve pm, and then there's another ceremony, a great Compassion Repentance from one pm to about two fifteen pm, and then there's another work period from two to fifteen pm till about five pm, and then we have free time from five pm till about six fifteen pm, and then we get ready to go to evening ceremony. The monastics will usually line up in what we call a taiban and then we will walk to the Buddha Hall and be there by six thirty pm, and then we have evening ceremony from six thirty pm to seven thirty pm, and then Evening Lecture from seven thirty pm to nine pm. Another small ceremony from nine pm to nine thirty pm and then we have, you know, our own time until we wake up at three thirty am.
Speaker 1: As I say, do you ever get used to waking up at three thirty am? I mean, even if one is a morning person, that's pretty early.
Speaker 2: It is pretty early. And how how used to you know? Some days it feels fine and I'm very happy to wake up. And if you have a lot on your plate, I find particularly is like a graduate student, it's much more talented because your brain is more full of things. So there are monks and nuns in our tradition whose sole focus is on attending the ceremonies and being present in the Voodha hall, and for them, I think it's rather enjoyable, like they really enjoy that. But when you add on like responsibilities as being a student or teaching or other administrative plifics, you could feel more talenting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I mean if the last ceremony is at nine, there's not a whole lot of sleeping time in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's less than six hours. I think there's exactly six hours between nine thirty pm and three thirty am, and I need a little like downtime to like unpack and get ready for the next day. So usually I run on like five four and a half five hours of sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then do you sometimes nap at other points to try to catch up a little bit?
Speaker 2: I'm going to have to confess, but occasionally I do. Yeah, Yeah, usually for like thirty minutes. Probably not every day, but on more rigorous days, especially in about five to six pm period, that's a good time to catch a quick nap before going into the next cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it certainly sounds I mean, given that so much of the day is spoken for, and then you also have classes for instance, I think you kind of have to make your piece of looking at the whole week and saying, well, I can't be at absolutely every single ceremony, I can aim to be at a certain number of them. Is that how you manage this?
Speaker 2: That's where I am as a graduate student, because I'm going into my second year of graduate school and I'm taking a couple of extra classes because I'm learning Chinese, I'm taking extra languages this year, and I'm also very interested in writing a book for young adults and children, and I also need time for that. So basically I told my Dharma sisters you know, I can make this many ceremonies during the week while I'm doing this semester, and you know, these are my classes, so people know where I am and what I'm up to. But it's still very false.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like it sounds like a very skull schedule. All right, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from gene Juncture. Well, I am back talking with gene Juncture, who is an ordained Buddhist nun. She's also a graduate student. We've been hearing about the intense schedule of life in the monastery, which we then need to layer your classes on top of, layer your studying on top of I mean, when do you actually wind up doing your studying.
Speaker 2: So, because I'm a graduate student right now, my work schedule has been adjusted and I have basically committed to trying to do most of the morning ceremony of the evening ceremonies, but the afterdoon ceremony, the Great Compassion Repentance I do far less frequently. I'm more like once a week, once every other week, because that those periods the day are my class study time. So basically I try to sell all of my classes and study time in the morning and the afternoon period.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I have you backing up a little bit. So when you were going through the ordination process, one of the things we began going back and forth by email about a couple of years ago is that you had to do a lot of memorization as part of your training. Can you talk a little bit about what that was?
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness, yes. So that was a big part of the full or debate process. Is that in our tradition, we memorize three sets of precepts and we're supposed to recite them from memory before we fully ordain. And so these are basically three books, and they take a long time to memorize. And before I had started this process, I don't think I had ever memorized anything longer than a poem, you know, something very short for like high school or something like that. So it was difficult, and I had no idea how to go about doing this, and I had to schedule it. I had to very kind of like meticulously go line by lying, and then to to do it, I had to break up the text and the pieces and then basically I would you know, if you sit still you can memorize maybe a sentence of text, right, and then if you repeat it to yourself throughout the day, you might be able to remember it later during the day. But because the books were so long, I had to figure out a way to do this without kind of losing it in the process. And so I started reading all of these books on like different memorization techniques, and you know, some people know about memory palaces. So I started trying to figure out like different methods to kind of like hold these things in my mind. And what it required was a lot of time, and time was something that I felt very short on, and so I had to really map out in the schedule. And then my mind during that time period was basically only focused on memorization. I was doing my activities, but the only thing that was happening in my mind was the memorization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I and you just realized it was just going to take time, right, I mean, that's the thing. You have to get your head around, the idea that you can only memorize a certain amount of time, a certain amount of the precepts in any given day or any given weeks, and so it's just going to be years until you can get them all into your head. Correct.
Speaker 2: It took me a long time to wrap my mind around that, because how often do we sit down and think, oh, I'm going to spend a year memorizing this book or two or three years, you know, as the case may be. And this is something that we don't really have, like in our Western culture. You know, the only people who I think memorized lines are like actors, you know, It's not very common for ordinary people. And what it took me a long time to realize is that it was really a factor of dedication and not intelligence. And I thought, oh, I'm a very smart person. I'll be able to do this very fast. And then I realized, no, this is more like exercise than it is, you know about intelligence. It's about having enough stamina to get through it.
Speaker 1: And you just kept going for several years then, right, but clearly did it as you are now officially ordained.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: So how did that feel when you finally did your formal recitation as part of it?
Speaker 2: It felt great and for me, you know, it was like a dream realized after you know, from the start of the training was twenty seventeen to the platform was twenty twenty three, so that was like six years of actual training. But I started this past in probably twenty thirteen, kind of moving in this direction, so it was like the work of a decade.
Speaker 1: But you did it, which is very exciting. And then you mentioned that all of your mental energy had been devoted to memorization, and then you did it. And I know that the nuns recite these precepts frequently as part of your ceremonies, but still you weren't actively memorizing anymore. Yes, so what did you do with that brain space?
Speaker 2: Then? Okay, So once I wasn't actively memorizing anymore, I got my first assignment in the monastery as a fully ordained men, and they asked me to teach classes, and so I began teaching. And I had volunteered taught before, but I had not been volunteered teaching in several years. And they gave me six classes to teach. So that was my first year as a fully ordained men, was teaching elementary and high school students for over six hours a day. And then after that I applied to go to graduate school and was accepted and began this journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now you're filling your brain with learning Chinese and hermeneutics. Right, that was on your class schedule.
Speaker 2: I believe exactly. I'm getting a master's in Buddhist classics from Dharma around Buddhist University. And as you said earlier, this here, my whole year has basically been Heidigger, Chinese and dragons.
Speaker 1: What a combination. I love it because The Dragons is your novel, right, you're writing about for young adults, a Buddhist theme novels.
Speaker 2: There may be dragons in it, because you know, I really enjoy dragons, but I think that there are a lot of exciting themes in Buddhist texts. And what I've found is that we have booked for very young children, and then we have booked for adults, but we have nothing for kind of the middle of years. And as I taught students in twenty twenty three twenty twenty four, I really saw this gap and I saw certain students that I really wanted to reach out to and get them enthusiastic about some of these texts. But I felt like if there was no bridge, there would be no way for them to enter them as adults.
Speaker 1: So you're going to write the book that's going to bring them in.
Speaker 2: I hope that I'm going to write the book. It's going to be the bridge. And I'm actually signed out for a six week writing course with a woman who has been publishing young adult books, who is also a professor at a local college in our area. So I'm very excited about that.
Speaker 1: We've got a plan to make it happen. All right, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Gene Juncture. Well, I am back talking with Gene Juncture, who is an ordained Buddhist nun a graduate student. We've been talking about her various ways of managing the schedule and all that she has had to do as part of the ordination process and then later teaching and being a student. So you've just been working on your schedule for the fall semester. I understand when we are we're having this conversation, maybe you can talk about your process of how you create a schedule for yourself, knowing what you know about you know how you work and your responsibilities and all that you're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, I actually use the spreadsheet that you send out in the time tracking challenge every year, and I do it in fifteen minute increments. And so I start by putting the morning and the evening ceremonies in because those kind of book in the day for me, and it's also a good way to connect with the other monastics in the monastery. And then I put in all the classes because the ceremonies and the classes are fixed and you know, very important, and I'm taking extra classes this semester so I can continue to improve my Chinese. And I added in one fun class, which was quilting. There's a NOD for credit quilting class, and my grandmothers were wonderful quilters, but I never learned, so I'm taking that as a side thing. So I put the classes in and then I figure that I need roughly two to three hours of study time writing time for every hour that I'm in class, and so I try to map out my study time so that I had at least two or three study time to each class, one directly before the class, one after the class, and one in the middle. And so it took me like two days to like, you know, kind of map this all out. But then I feel really good because I have a plan for the semester and then if special things come up. It's just about moving things around a little bit. But it's not a blank space. Now I know where I'm going for the next few months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and building in time to study, like knowing that that has to happen. And you're not just trusting that it will happen. You're like, I, if it's important to me, it needs a space on the calendar. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think as an undergraduate, when I had endless optimism, you know, from eighteen to twenty two years old, there were a lot of things that I tried to like fit in at the last minute. I thought, oh, this will only take two hours, but it ended up taking six hours, and that's throwing the next day off. And I think, you know, as an adult, I'm forty five now, you know, I'm very aware that things take more time than you think they will. And if you leave more space, then you won't be panicked, You'll you know, you'll feel much more confident.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it sounds like you've been doing quite well in school. I hear you have the very high GPA.
Speaker 2: Not too bad. My first year was three point eight. Yeah, I'm very exot.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so hard to go back to school as an adult, Like you said, I mean, this is you know, I guess the upside is you have the benefit of wisdom and experience. But you know, it's been a long time since you did this the first time around, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I'm forty five now and I went to you know, I did my underred when I was eighteen to twenty two. So coming back to school and writing papers, you know, formal academic papers after twenty three years, was a real challenge because I had and little bits of writing, you know, like press releases or marketing copy or little things like that, but it had been a really long time since I had written a fifteen twenty plus page paper, and you know, finding good sources for that and being able to you know, write it skillfully is a talent that I'm still working on. But I love writing and you know, will hopefully continue to improve.
Speaker 1: I love it well, like with anything, I mean, it's more dedication than it is talent. I think that's one of the things we realize as grown ups.
Speaker 2: I think that I completely agree with that, and that's something I have really realized as an adult that I did not know. When I was younger, I thought it was all about you know, how smart you were, But so much of what happens in life is about dedication and you know, wisely spending your time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, I agree with that for sure. So TJJ I always ask people, what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome? So something that has made a normal day better?
Speaker 2: Okay. I made a resolution at the beginning of this year that I told you about that I'm very pleased with. And because I have so much kind of work and classes and also ceremonies, I felt like I wasn't having that much human connection with people. So one of my goals with the schedule fifty walks a week, fifty walks a year, and so I've been taking walks with people and instead of having a meeting with them or you know, doing zoom, I just if they're in the local area, I just schedule, you know, a fifteen to thirty minute walk and sometimes those walks go you know, for an hour. But I've had some great conversations on my walks, and then I also get outside and we live in a very beautiful valley surrounded by mountains, so I feel like I'm getting nature, exercise and human connection. So I love scheduling walks with people.
Speaker 1: I love it. That's a lot of awesomeness for one activity. And what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to work on the book, the book for children young adults, and I'm very excited for the writing workshop which I'll be doing August in October. And I'm also, you know, looking forward to what comes next and after graduate school, it feels like possibilities will open up again, you know. Will I focus on writing, Will I focus on I'm working on some compilations of Dharma talks, I do a lot of editing for our magazine and other publications. And will I teach agen. So I'm sitting with all of these possibilities.
Speaker 1: And seeing what comes of it. I love it. Yeah, absolutely, well, g Juck here, Thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: The