Speaker 1: Topics featured in this episode may be disturbing to some listeners. Please take care while listening.
Speaker 2: I want to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. I'm grateful to all that have shown me love and compassion that this is the end of my story and this doesn't have to define me the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrea Gunning and this is Betrayal, Episode three Ruins. Reports of Jason Litton's arrests were all over the local news and on Facebook pages. Aveya, Ashley's oldest daughter and a victim, found out when her friend's mother asked her if anyone else had been videotaped in the house. Ashley's fifteen year old son would stoic and refused to discuss it. She tried to explain what happened to her youngest, but it was a lot for a nine year old to understand.
Speaker 3: The way that Ashley said was like, Daddy is in trouble. He's in jail for doing something he wasn't supposed to do, and she just went off the rails, like asking all of these questions, like am I going to see him again?
Speaker 4: What does that mean? Is he going to be gone forever? How do you explain this to a nine year old? Her dad was taken away.
Speaker 5: Her kids lost their dad, and she lost her husband.
Speaker 4: It's like he died.
Speaker 6: He was like my security blanket. He didn't do much for me but make me feel safe and make me feel just He was there, and I don't know, I just I just really really missed my life.
Speaker 1: In the aftermath, Ashley was just trying to hold on and leaned on her best friend Emmy for support.
Speaker 7: In an instant, he was gone. I still dream about it. I still hear her. I still dream of holding her, but to have to sit there and listen to that and no, there was absolutely nothing I could do to make her feel better, to change things. There was nothing I could do.
Speaker 1: During their marriage, Ashley recognized that things weren't normal, but there's only so much you can do for a person.
Speaker 8: I had told myself that there was a mental illness going on, and he wouldn't go see anybody for it.
Speaker 1: Clearly Jason was dealing with something, but his poor behavior had existed for most of his adult life. Jason had made appalling choices at times, but Ashley always gave him the benefit of the doubt. Candace Holden and her husband Jeff, were good friends with Ashley and Jason. She shares a very awkward encounter some years back and Candace just had a baby girl that you might hear in the background.
Speaker 9: My husband was playing football for us in my Pro Football League and tour his ACL and partially towards he had surgery on it. And it was a couple weeks after his surgery that we drove to Salt Lake and we were saying the night at Jason and Ashley's. They had us in the basement and Jeff had like a brand new bottle of pain pills with him. I want to say that he had pulled it out to take one when we were upstairs, so that's how I feel. Jason knew that the bottle was with us, but we went downstairs with it and we went to bed. The next morning, half the bottle was gone. I went to Ashley and she was like, no, no, he wouldn't. We didn't need her to validate that. I just felt bad that she believed his side so strongly. Jeff was frustrated, so he went to Jason. He absolutely denied it, but it didn't change the fact that literally half the bottle was gone. In my opinion, when Jason would lie pres surely about something big, he get like overly emotional. You know, he's on the verge of crying, just kind of like a little kid that gets in trouble and they start crying because you don't believe them and they know they're busted, but they're going to, you know, get upset because they want you to believe them. That was always kind of a red slade to me, like you're over doing this innocence thing, which is just making me think that you're more guilty.
Speaker 1: Candas also recalls Jason's work ethic from his twenties.
Speaker 9: My husband got him a job at the company that he worked at, and they would car pull together and he was constantly calling in sick or My husband was going next door and knocking on the door to essentially get him up in the morning to go to work. And I just felt like, Ashley, could you know, have somebody more self motivated in her life.
Speaker 5: We've all been there.
Speaker 1: We've heard our friends talk about relationships or their marriages and deep down you feel like they deserve better. Until they come to that realization themselves.
Speaker 5: There isn't much you can do, but I spoke with.
Speaker 1: Jessica Baum, who has been working with Ashley over the past couple of months to help her learn more about herself. Jessica is the author of Anxiously Attached, Becoming More Secure in Life and Love.
Speaker 10: I'm a psychotherapist with a license in mental health counseling and I have a private practice. We work on family systems issues, trauma, addiction, and couples.
Speaker 1: Jessica also specializes in attachment styles what draws us towards and keeps us with another person, And like many of our traits, those tendencies are established in childhood.
Speaker 4: It appears that she has a lot of childhood trauma.
Speaker 10: Her dad was pretty overwhelmed and her mom was pretty sick, so she played different roles in her family system. She also was parentified and took care of her mom and took a caretaking role, and she also had a role of acting out to get her needs met. But none of them were like really truly attuning to her needs and seeing her in a healthy way. So I think as soon as she was able to escape into her first relationship, I'm sure that gave her a relief, and much of her childhood was kind of escaping some of what she wasn't ready to deal with or what was really going on for her. So she adapted in many different ways, and one of those ways was through relationships and finding some relief initially through her relationships, which then turned into really unhealthy patterns and strategies and a kind of a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Her first boyfriend, Matt, had been a kind of protector when Ashley was at school. He made sure she had a good school lunch every day, and he was her happy place outside of home. Then he descended into addiction and the relationship descended into chaos.
Speaker 10: But in the beginning, it does provide her a sanctuary or relief from her underlying core grief or wounds or unmet needs.
Speaker 1: And Jason was a person when Ashley had two small children and was on her own. Her family said as much when he first came into their lives.
Speaker 4: I love Jason. You could just see how nice and kind he.
Speaker 5: Was to her. I thought, Wow, she's found a good guy.
Speaker 6: It was like night chiming armor. I was like, here's this normal dude that wants to be with me.
Speaker 1: Ashley's husband had stolen prescription pills from her friend lied to his employer stayed alone in their bedroom for days on end. Sure all of these were red flags adjacent had problems, but they weren't deal breakers.
Speaker 5: They couldn't be.
Speaker 10: Even if our intuition or gut says this could be true, or there might be some truth to that, there's a very strong part of us that doesn't want to believe something might be wrong for many reasons. And I can tell you, for Ashley, a lot of her own denial, even if underneath it there was an undercurrent of maybe something's wrong. Is that if there is something wrong, her whole world would shatter. And so in this world that she created for her family and what she loved about her world was very contingent on who he was when he came into the relationship and what he did for her and the safety that he provided for her.
Speaker 5: Out of all the possibilities of what might.
Speaker 1: Be going on with him, Jason viewing child pornography and videotaping their daughter never crossed her mind. It just doesn't enter the realm of possibility.
Speaker 8: Not effort. When I had effort ever even considered anything like this.
Speaker 1: Evea had an order of protection against him, so he went to live with a relative but that wasn't nearly enough to make her feel safe.
Speaker 4: So this is the Veya's room.
Speaker 6: I don't like coming in here, and I avoidited it for a long time because of how hard it was.
Speaker 1: Ashley's home has a great layout for teenagers. The lower floor has two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a den area, so the older kids feel like they have a little privacy. She showed me exactly how Jason violated.
Speaker 5: It, just for reference.
Speaker 1: Her bedrooms almost in the basement, so her bedroom is like an negress window.
Speaker 6: And he would stand outside of this window and film her.
Speaker 1: He told Ashley the reason he was going outdoors at night was because he discovered a new stargazing.
Speaker 6: App I just chalked it up as like another weird thing that he was in. But he was so believable, like he was dung ho about stars, and he was telling the kids about this solar system and this star pattern and showing them things like That's how manipulative he was.
Speaker 1: Seeing the layout of the house made the secret taping seem even more insidious.
Speaker 6: I don't understand. Our backyard is mud and backpool. I avoided it all costs the only time I was back there this year, was to spray off my air conditioner make sure no weeds were grown around her.
Speaker 1: Ashley tried to make the room feel more secure by installing a frosted window so you can't see through it.
Speaker 6: Then I'd have like a lock on it and everything, because I wanted her to feel safe.
Speaker 4: I wanted her.
Speaker 6: To know that nobody's going to get in here. But she still just couldn't deal with it.
Speaker 1: Ashley's sister Anna, I mean, I think she left pretty soon after we found out the extent of the videos.
Speaker 5: Is it hard being in here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is. It makes me cry because I miss her so much. I just miss her.
Speaker 1: I mentioned Ashley's first love, Matt. They were together all through high school until she was in her early twenties. She ultimately took their two kids and left him because of his drug addiction. Matt is clean now, and while they visits Ashley's house often, she moved it with Matt full time. They was afraid to sleep at ashe after she learned what Jason had done.
Speaker 11: He robbed them of stability, of structure of trust. I'm so mad at him for that, and I hope one day she could feel safe with my sister again.
Speaker 4: One of the moms, she's my friend.
Speaker 6: She reached out to me asking if any of their kids were a part of it, which really sucked because I still like super in shock. This particular person called and we met for coffee. I was so embarrassed and I couldn't go into the coffee shop, so we stayed in her car and top.
Speaker 5: The rumor mill was working over time.
Speaker 6: She's like the girls told me that there was a camera in the shower, because all Bea and her friends would come to our house and get ready and have fun and they'd shower, you know, And so I was like, no, there's not a camera. I asked the detective, and he said that if they would have had any inclination that those videos were recorded in any other fashion, they would have taken everything that can connect to the internet.
Speaker 1: But neighbors and other parents still didn't want to send their children to play or hang out at Ashley's house.
Speaker 5: It was humiliating.
Speaker 4: My house was the hangout house.
Speaker 6: I don't really have alcohol in my home, so I think everyone's family just felt comfortable with all their kids here, so they don't come here anymore.
Speaker 1: Her home wasn't a safe place anymore, and Ashley didn't feel safe going out.
Speaker 6: I couldn't go in public, Like even going to the grocery store, the gas station anywhere is super super hard. I think it's because I don't want to see people that we knew together.
Speaker 5: Ashley didn't want to explain what happened. Did you know what he was doing? Are you getting divorced?
Speaker 1: She had not committed a sin against children, she had not broken the law, she had not destroyed their family.
Speaker 5: But she felt like she wore a scarlet letter.
Speaker 8: Anyway, when you have everything that makes you a human taken away from you, you are left with the real stuff. All of those different pieces were crumbling, and I just was running around trying to pick them up, pick up the pieces of our life that we show to our families, or to our neighbors, or to our community, or to this And I just kept trying to pick them up, and I was trying to keep them together when it was completely broken.
Speaker 1: While everything was crumbling, Jason was sending the children letters in jail. Ashley protected the kids from reading them. She thought it would only compound the trauma at the time. Now that significant time has passed and she's talked with her kids, she feels it's important to share how much Jason disassociated his criminal behavior from his role as a parent.
Speaker 5: Here are a few exams.
Speaker 1: To his son, hay stud I hope everything is going good and you're kicking button football into a veya. I hope you're doing good and having an awesome day. I hope soccer is going well. Always stay my proud, confident, beautiful daughter. His words reeked of tone, deaf denial. He wrote as if he were on a business trip. Jason stopped writing to his two step children. He continues to write his biological daughter. After making sure the letters are appropriate, Ashley lets her daughter read them.
Speaker 5: Eventually, Jason's absence.
Speaker 1: From the house set in and Ashley needed to move the family forward.
Speaker 6: Had them stay on for two weeks, and finally it was like, listen, guys, you can run away from this for the rest of our lives, or we can just confront it and just get these first few days over it, and I'll go back to work.
Speaker 4: You guys go back to school. Abe can't do it.
Speaker 1: Jason was charged with ten counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second degree felony, for the thousand plus child sexual abuse images that he had in his possession. They included children as young as seven years old. He was also charged with two counts of voyeurism for secretly recording Aveya. When Ashley reflected on it, she realized that Jason had treated Avea differently than her other children.
Speaker 6: He was always mean to her, Like I thought, maybe he was just being concerned or maybe even a stern parent, But looking back now, it was just mean.
Speaker 1: Ashley's father, John, recalled tension when he came to pick up the kids at the house.
Speaker 5: When I got to throw he was just screaming an avaya and I walked in.
Speaker 12: As soon as I walked in, he plushed right up.
Speaker 7: And we did talk about that one time, and I said, yelling and screamers are going to get you anywhere.
Speaker 1: Thirty days after Jason was arrested, he was released. Yes, there would be rules and restrictions, but he would be out in the community and he would be free until his case went to trial. It would take more than a year before he was back in a courtroom to face justice.
Speaker 6: They just gave him some stipulations, like you can't have a smartphone, no computer, no internets, nothing.
Speaker 1: Ashley had so many questions she had never been able to ask Jason.
Speaker 8: After he got out, he was saying with his grandpa, and I had went over there that morning to take him his clothes and things like that, and asked him all of those really yucky questions, like if you masturbate too our daughter, why did you save those photos? And he sweared it wasn't sexual.
Speaker 1: Ashley made sure he had in a non smartphone. She tried to help him find a job. It's hard to understand why she felt obligated to help him. If anyone tells you that leaving and grieving a toxic relationship is easy and straightforward, they'd probably never.
Speaker 5: Been in one.
Speaker 1: During one of Jessica and Ashley's therapy sessions, which they gave us permission to record and shair, jess was able to glean some insight into Ashley's mindset at the.
Speaker 6: Time when he went to gel I started trying to reconcile, like understand it, because at that point I knew he had recorded her, But what I thought was that he had recorded her doing everything, you know, doing homework, getting ready whatever, trying to catch her like vaping or smoking pod or you know, being inappropriate boys or whatever, you know, And that's what I had assumed, and I still thought it was weird, but I thought it was like part of maybe his psychotic break or whatever.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm sure part of your psyche wanted to believe it, and there's a part of him that probably was in denial of the seriousness as well. I mean, it's hard to get paid on the head with something like that. You know, you want to assume the best, even though it's kind of glaring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like right when he got out of JEL.
Speaker 10: His behavior started to change for the better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was everything I wanted it to be.
Speaker 1: But the weight of everything, any indication that what her husband did was not so bad was a straw she grasped was.
Speaker 8: De number four and he had the discovery from his lawyer, and I was like, oh, I'd really like to read that, and he's like, oh, no, that's it, and I was like, no, I want to read this. So he got it out and I start reading through it, and then I realized that he's trying to get me to like rush over these couple of pages, and so I like ripped it out of his hand. And it was the pages that detailed his voyorism on a band. That's when I realized he had lied. I started reading in detail that each one of the times that he had filmed her was premeditated, so he would have to know when she was showering or changing, and then he would sneak outside while around the back and film her through her window.
Speaker 1: There was no denying the truth. This was evidence, an illegal document. It proved that the only reason forever filming a Veya was to catch her without clothes on.
Speaker 6: That's when it snapped, and I was like, this is it. I told Jason to quit calling me, and he quit telling me he loved me, and that I didn't want to see him anymore.
Speaker 10: There was this other part of you that just got woken up that you haven't really put a voice to. You haven't completely integrated the full picture yet with and I assume after that you got angry. Yeah, so there must have been a registering of the whole truth when your psyche was really able to kind of allow you to understand the gravity of his behavior.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once Ashley crossed the bridge and saw Jason clearly, she accepted that his crimes were what they looked like, depraved personal and involved her beloved daughter, she.
Speaker 5: Would divorce him. Her only focus was healing and justice for a VEA.
Speaker 1: Just about one year after the Litton family was shattered, Ashley, Jason, and their respective families sat in a Salt Lake County courtroom.
Speaker 12: Okay, well, courts reviewed the pre sentenced report, the psychosexual exam, and there were many many letters that were submitted book on behalf of mister Littman on behalf of the biggest stim and other family members. So that I've read all of that, is anyone going to be addressing the court directly?
Speaker 13: Mister tell you?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 14: Are they the big tim least?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 13: Are they president in the court or?
Speaker 5: This was not a trial, It was a sentencing hearing.
Speaker 1: Jason had cut a plea deal with the District Attorney's office and was pleading guilty to a reduce charge of one count of sexual exploitation of a minor in two counts of voyeurism. A matter of guilt was settled. This hearing was about justice. Ashley watched nervously from the gallery. A vs at beside her prosecutor. Sam Sutton, the third prosecutor assigned to the case, addressed the judge from the.
Speaker 14: State's perspective, this is very personal concerning the practically, certainly, your honor has seen plenty of other cases involving sexual explication of a minor child, child sexual abuse material cases that usually in those cases we asked for some some midpoint of jailer twenty or need to pay something like that.
Speaker 1: In other words, in most these cases they asked for four to six months of jail time. That's pretty standard for someone engaging in this crime.
Speaker 14: This pudge one count therefore for many others in the charge, and a fair amount of child sexual u seriuscounting this posession. Couple that with the behavior to work his stepdaughter, and from the state's respective, that's about supposing Hanazon as the case skits.
Speaker 2: Without actually being Hanaza, even though they.
Speaker 14: Are classafe wayers.
Speaker 2: From the state's perspective, they are thinking of a pattern of behavior that is greater than the sum of the partners that they have.
Speaker 14: And for that reason, I am very striding as they asked me.
Speaker 2: For a maximum jail term here, and I'd ask the drown a concidit.
Speaker 1: You input the big tenant for a county of sixteen Jason, he argued, should receive the maximum a full year because of what he had done to Aveya. You're about to hear from Aveah for the first time. She decided to address the court at jason sentencing hearing. Both Ashley and Eveya gave us consent to use her voice and her name her words. Sponsored therapist also supported her decision to participate.
Speaker 13: So just tell me your names and what you want me to know. My name is Ashley Letton.
Speaker 15: I am Jason's son, the ex wife, and this is my daughter. This is a faith and she's asked to be here and would like to address the work. I do want you to pay attention to what she's wearing today. She didn't wear a sweatshirt and so what pants to be disrespectable, but rather because she didn't feel like she was safe wearing any You.
Speaker 13: Know, I don't want him looking at me. I don't want him seeing me. I don't want nothing. He completely ruined my family with our lives. He ruined me. I'm mentally not the same, dropped out the soccer. Doing that in school.
Speaker 4: Got to me.
Speaker 16: God Go wants to tell you. I have extremingnxiety. Now extreme anxiety.
Speaker 13: Where if I am driving and I just somehow see him.
Speaker 16: In his car, I call my mom because he's in the same area. He drives in those same roads as me every single day. A depression.
Speaker 13: I have pecause he's really bad.
Speaker 16: I can't I can't sit in class because my anxiety is so bad. So all I'm asking for you today is to give him.
Speaker 13: I would want him to be in prison. I never want him look at another child and the way before, even even before I even knew, because he was rude to me, he was held with me, treated me, treated me so poorly. Me and my mother.
Speaker 16: Say things to me like I'm a terrible kid, and take my phone and go through it and go through.
Speaker 13: My privacy like my room.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 13: It was unfair and it's rude, and I don't want any other child.
Speaker 6: Ere go through that.
Speaker 13: Ever, I'm asking for you to send a heaven.
Speaker 1: Aveya's plea to the court was devastating. All of the stress, sadness, and anger over what he had done poured out of her. Even Judge Metler seemed moved.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry this happened.
Speaker 12: I wish I could make it better.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 12: But a venue in particular should feel really proud of yourself. I think It's a very brave thing to report these kinds of things, to stay committed to the criminal justices and process, to show up in court and to speak to the judge.
Speaker 13: You're very great, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Jason's public defender made an impassioned plea for his freedom.
Speaker 17: I would argue Judge first and foremost that mister Lytton is absolutely jact lee, sorrowful, remorseful for his conduct. I think he's demonstrated that by taking full accountability, full acceptance of responsibility for his misconduct. Judge, I understand the name victims. I mean for lack of ptterwords crushing sorrow, crushing anger about this misconduct that mister Lynton engaged in. My client fully understands where they are coming from and why they would never want to see him again ever in society. He was suffering from a severe depression. Yes, he did receive adderall and some prozac, and perhaps that wasn't the best indicated medication for his condition. He has engaged in community based and community supported counseling groups to help address that.
Speaker 13: He has a long.
Speaker 17: Way to go with regard to the specialized psychosexual treatment. But doctor Rory and the AP and p P s Our Writer reached the same conclusion that he is appropriate and suitable for community based treatment.
Speaker 1: The takeaway is that the psychologist who had evaluated Jason, the agency that writes the recommended treatment plan advised court ordered intensive treatment for Jason, but not incarceration. After his public defender spoke, Jason addressed the judge.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry for the pain in her I've caused my family day goes by. I don't think about her. I've caused them, My heart an exclusion.
Speaker 13: There was something I could say or do to fix this.
Speaker 2: I want to say sorry to Abata for destroying her safe place in her life. I failed her as a father and abused love and trust she had to me. What I did to her was despicable, despicable and shameful. I want to say sorry to Ashley for the pain and suffering I've caused her. I flipped her whole world around and destroyed our family in the process. I feel her as a husband and taken away the trust she had in others. I also want to apologize to the kids and the pictures I looked at. I know that they have suffered a huge amount of use and pain. They have lived a life of fear and suffering, and I played a part in that with my actions to all of you. I'm so sorry. I've heard so many friends and family with my actions. This is this whole situation.
Speaker 5: Is my fault, and my faul alone.
Speaker 2: My recovery is also very important to me. I look forward to the programs and all other help I will be fortunate to have. I want to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.
Speaker 1: Jason also touted the support groups he had joined and his renewed dedication to the church. Judge Metler took everything into consideration and rendered her decision.
Speaker 12: Okay, well, thank you everyone for your input. Been thinking about this for a while. This is a tough one and that court makes decisions concerning sensing. The court really is balancing ways in which the victim can be made wold, which frankly is pretty unusual, and the victim can truly be able. Rehabilitating that defendant is an important factor.
Speaker 9: And then, of course.
Speaker 1: Passion would Avea and Ashley get justice, would Jason be put behind bars?
Speaker 5: That's next time on betrayal.
Speaker 12: For the Crown of sexual exploitation of minor second refellony and Crispel.
Speaker 1: I also visit Vea and Ashley at home to find out what has happened since that day.
Speaker 7: I'd been laying in bed some nights and I'd just sit there thinking, like someone's looking, someone's creeping.
Speaker 4: Can you get that feeling?
Speaker 5: And later on this season of Betrayal, I.
Speaker 6: Saw FBI on their vests and he's like, Mandy, I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything.
Speaker 1: We'll meet more women confronted with shocking revelations about the men they married.
Speaker 7: My dad was like, let's think about this because if he goes to jail, you're gonna lose all of your benefits, Like I give a block run.
Speaker 1: If you would like to reach out to the Betrayal team, email us at Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com. That's Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com. To report a case of child sexual exploitation, called the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's cyber Tipline at one eight hundred the Lost.
Speaker 5: If you or someone you.
Speaker 1: Know is worried about their sexual thoughts and feelings towards children, reach out to Stop it Now dot org.
Speaker 5: In the United Kingdom, go to.
Speaker 1: Stop it Now dot org dot UK these organizations can help.
Speaker 5: We're grateful for your One.
Speaker 1: Way to show support is by subscribing to our show on Apple Podcasts, and don't forget to rate and review Betrayal. Five star reviews go a long way. A big thank you to all of our listeners. Betrayal is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group and partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The show was executive produced by Nancy Glass and Jennifer Fason, hosted and produced by me Andrea Gunning, written and produced by Kerry Hartman, also produced by Ben Fetterman, Associate producer Kristin Melcuririe. Our iHeart team is Ali Perry and Jessica Krincheck. Special thanks to our talent Ashley Litton, psychotherapist Jessica Baum and production assistant Tesa Shields. Audio editing and mixing by Matt Alvecchio. A traials theme composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by my Music and For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.