Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys training live from Dallas Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard, Calico.
Speaker 4: Six pas second tuscot tisis any kin today?
Speaker 3: Not tusdown? And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's the first of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to the phenomenon that we like to call a same with You're Jess.
Speaker 6: Forriday here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from Oxnard, California and the side of training camp.
Speaker 5: Only twenty five.
Speaker 3: We've got the whole crew ready for you to rock today with Isaiah Standbach, Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Chris Beam in the front from Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. If they weren't awake yet, they're in Oxnard, they're up now because Beam.
Speaker 1: In the front just right, I like get ye. Yeah. They picked up on that.
Speaker 7: We've talked about it before you we said it several times.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, are you are awake?
Speaker 1: I am awake, freaking go.
Speaker 5: There is uh, there's a preseason game coming up.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of football.
Speaker 5: Last night there's a little bit of football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a We had a former quarterback, Cooper Rush, play a little bit last night. His first passing past attempt was uh, he threw threw a pick on his first passage.
Speaker 5: But other than that, I thought he.
Speaker 3: All kind of like football is back, and that's part of the football side of things is you're gonna have some ups and you're gonna have some down. We got an exciting show for you today, though, We've got some fun.
Speaker 5: Of course, it's it is camp. It's summer camp.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna have some paper play towards coming up later in the show. It could be about football, it could be not about football. It doesn't really matter. I couldn't afford summer can I I know it's tough, you know, tough out there sometimes playing on the block with But let's let's get into some news and notes, because I want to get this out of the way pretty early, because yesterday Thursday's practice was a little concerning.
Speaker 1: Speak across the league.
Speaker 7: But across the league, yes one thou good, great?
Speaker 5: Those are some vibes that were off yesterday.
Speaker 7: All things considered, you have to be a little relieved. You have to be a little relieved in comparison to how everybody else ended up yesterday.
Speaker 1: The well still not o man.
Speaker 4: Obviously with Sean Slater comes to mind. Heal up, big guy, he look so. But that being said, contextually, you're completely right. Most certainly could have been worse for the Dallas Cowboys, but also wasn't great for him. Okay, so let's go down a quick injury run down as far as who was not practicing and who ended up leaving practice. Brevns and Ford. He's still not practicing, but he's moving around. Will Tyler gut and he's off of his crutch. Update on Tyler gout and I spoke with him off the record, but on the record, he did tell me that, well, obviously you can see he's not only off of his crutch, he's moving pretty well. And he told me that his knee is quote unquote responding very well to treatment. So uh, obviously I asked him, I said, how this week?
Speaker 1: One look.
Speaker 4: He gave me a particular answer which I'm not gonna share, but it was optimistic and positive. But it's ultimately up to the medical staff if he gets clear for that or not, so keep an eye on that. Justin Barron still not return to practice, nor has Miles Sanders. However, in a running backs room that's battling injury and a lot of questions. Mark deduce Vaughan was back at practice yesterday. I talked to duce Vaughn after practice yesterday and he said that he feels great after going through all of the paces yesterday and that he feels that he uh should likely be cleared for the preseason opener against the Rams. Fingers crossed because that young man definitely needs to get out there and at those reps.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that was a handy for him. Absolutely. There was a scare for a few seconds with Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Jake Ferguson took a hit from Kenneth Murray that he is likely still feeling today. Ferguson stayed down for a few moments, kind of a scary moment, but ultimately he got up to his feet.
Speaker 1: He was walking around just fine. He was in good spirits.
Speaker 4: He did not return to practice and I saw him walking around with the still machine on his back, so probably having a little bit of back spasms because of that hit.
Speaker 1: But I'm told it's not anything serious for Jake fergus that's a linebackers linebacker, Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: It is speaking of running backs, going back to running backs real quickly.
Speaker 3: You said you're not expecting anything significant.
Speaker 1: From Jake versus I am not.
Speaker 3: They're not worried across the board about Jake. I know, I know he'll probably receive treatment or maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he will resent treat because of the hit that he took. I don't well, number one count him out of the preseason game on Saturday. He probably Yeah, either way, it wasn't gonna happen. Now it's definitely, it's definitely not.
Speaker 1: Going to happen.
Speaker 4: But when practices resume, I want to say Monday, there's a chance maybe he's held out of Monday's practice as a precaution. So but at this moment, I'm told they're not overly concerned with anything that's going on with Jake Ferguson. They just think he just needs some rest to give his muscles in his body time to recover, because yeah, he took one.
Speaker 7: Really quickly, so on that hit. If anybody's you know, listening, to this now and it's frustrated, like why is Jake Ferguson taking these hits in a in a practice at training camp. It was definitely one of those kind of freak accidents and Kennith Worry did not mean to hit him in that manner obviously, and after the play you could see Kenith Murray was not shaken up, but he was obviously regretful.
Speaker 4: It was and until that point after practice, we interviewed Kenneth Murray and he talked about it, and he said, absolutely was unintended.
Speaker 1: It was just one of those football plays bang bang played.
Speaker 4: It happened, and he expressed a lot of remorse and basically said, you never want to hurt a teammate like you never want to hurt the teammates.
Speaker 1: So remose Foe didn't mean to do it. It's football. It happened.
Speaker 4: Jake is mostly okay, give him some time to rest, but uh, Week one is not in jeopardy for Jake for example.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: And then I know Dak was asked about it, what did you see on that play whenever he was throwing the football, and he said, it's it's.
Speaker 1: A football player, it's a football.
Speaker 3: Downplayed it very much so, and it's even on Training Camp Live. I mean, we had it on Training Camp Live yesterday on Dallas Cowboy dot Com. Can go back and look at it. If you look, kind of make it, make it your own. But I think it was about as bang bang.
Speaker 1: It looked weird.
Speaker 3: It was a little weird the way he was up in and then he fell backwards and took his helmet off, and it was just kind of an odd moment, and so everybody kind of looked around and.
Speaker 5: Was like, what just happened?
Speaker 3: And then once he kind of got up and he even got back in the drill for a split second. Didn't run a route or anything, but he was back in the drill and then ultimately left practice.
Speaker 4: All indications are that he will be fine, just needs a little bit of risk, maybe a little bit of treatment. Like I said, he had the stem machine for those that don't know what the stem machine, and this muscle stimulator had to pack on had the contact. So I told he'll be fine. On a good news front, before I get back to the bad news.
Speaker 1: One year, Thomas has returned to practice.
Speaker 4: One year missed several practices as he was dealing with a leg issue, but he was back in practice, full contact, full goal. He said that he feels great. So that's great news for the safety unit as well as the cornerbacks unit because one year has seen some reps here and there helping with that nickel equation, trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Now back to the not so great news.
Speaker 4: So Jaydon Blue, he was carted initially to the medical tent after he was pulled down by Sam Williams, and so that was a little bit scary. But thereafter he walked under his own power to the locker room for further evaluation. And then after he got that evaluation, he was seen coming back out in a shirt T shirt and shorts to you know, peek out a few more plays in practice. So I'm told that there's not a high concern for him. They're still figuring out what that might be. I'm not on the training staff. If I had to guess, I think it's an ankle sprain of some sort. I'll try to get more information on if that's low, if that's high, if it's you know, grade one whatever.
Speaker 3: It came out last night, so the MRI said it was a bone bruise and it's heel bone, not an ankle, so it was it came out late last night that it was it was going to be. It's actually good news because since it's not an ankle sprain for a running back, bone bruise still hurts, don't get me wrong, but.
Speaker 1: It's much more easily. It's a lot, and he is in a boot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did see him in a boot, So there's that. And I know that when people hear the word boot, they're like, oh my god, oh my god. Boots are often used as precautionary is to help you keep from aggravating it.
Speaker 1: So bone bruise, let's go with that on the heel.
Speaker 4: But that ultimately means likely not taking the field against the Rams on Saturday.
Speaker 7: And of course that's a shame not to see him on the field this Saturday. But how much did you guys expect him to actually play?
Speaker 1: A lot?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 7: So it's very dispointing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I expected a lot and a lot of Blue back and forth, maybe Vaughan if he's cleared, that would be those three.
Speaker 8: That room is thin right now. So this just say that most likely Blue doesn't play. Let's say because we didn't see Duceban doing team stuff yesterday.
Speaker 1: Let's just assume that he's not going to play.
Speaker 8: Mile Sanders is not playing. He's not definitely not playing Jamonte Williams if he's an easier leading starter at this point, I would imagine, so you're down to.
Speaker 1: Hunter Lifkey, and those are your two guys for a whole game. Take advantage Phil, that was going to be my hunter Liftkey.
Speaker 3: I think depending on how Ryan Schottenheimer views his position and use his role on this team, Phil MafA may have the best opportunity at hands stel reps here to have these reps and to take a lot of this time. And Josh, I know you've kind of kept an eye on Phil MafA throughout camp. I mean you think he's ready for that, You think he can step up into that role.
Speaker 7: There's nothing about his tape prior to camp that says this guy is like every down three down guy right now, But seeing him here it feels like I think that the vision is a lot better so far in camp. It's progressed at this point, but I think you have to split carries. I don't think that he's necessarily ready to take an entire game. I'd kind of like to see it just for the sake of seeing it right. We would like to get some things proven here, But I don't know that he's actually able to do that.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's going to have to. He may not have a choice, though, no choice.
Speaker 3: It may be twenty carries for MafA, fifteen for lipy five tires, but you.
Speaker 4: Know what, when it comes to MafA, you know, this is a great opportunity for Phil MafA to show some sort of versatility because you know, coming out of Clemson what we know him to be is the big bully, downhill runner. Okay, getting such a large chunk presumably of plays in the preseason opening against the Rams, he's going to be asked to do a lot of pass pro. He's going to be asked to catch the ball out of the backfield and do some damage in space if possible.
Speaker 1: So this again, like they said, not only is he going to get these chunk reps, but he has no choice.
Speaker 4: But because he's going to show him one thing or another, and it's either going to be great or it's going to be not so not so good.
Speaker 1: The thing that sucks about I know, we have to get to the rest of the injury report, because that's.
Speaker 7: Not That's the one thing you don't want is Joe Milton Leader.
Speaker 1: Shepley, Oh, Dakota Shepley.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Terren still left, but he came back.
Speaker 1: Terry steells Shepley should be fine.
Speaker 8: But yeah, the thing that sucks about this for office, it's a great opportunity to show what he can do at the running back position, but the running back position isn't necessarily how he's going to make the team. Special teams is how he's going to make the team. Let's just be again, right, Special teams is how he's gonna make the team. And he's not going to be able to really do special teams because because of how many reps he has to take offensively, So what he needs to show most he can't because he has actually go to play his primary position. So it's actually a disadvantaced. It's a disadvantage for him. Yeah, because like he could, he could ball out at the running back position. But they're still going to say, okay, but what can he do for us on special games?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 1: Well, that's fair.
Speaker 4: Counterpoint is as we all know, particularly you haven't played in the league, is that a preseason is your auditioning for all thirty two teams, not just the team that you're on. So it granted valid point, he's going to have to try to prove something on special teams.
Speaker 1: But in lieu of that, because of the circumstances, if he.
Speaker 4: Does go out there and ball out at running back, they are thirty one other teams that are watching that same field.
Speaker 8: No for sure, I mean, but no matter what team he would posit potentially go to, if it wasn't going to be the Cowboys, he's still probably going to be at best a third running back, you know what I'm saying, Like most teams, most teams have their one and two, Like the one and two probably aren't playing. If they are playing, they're playing a series at most a quarter. Right, you saw Cincinnati plays their starters. You saw that coach plays some of their play their starters. So you saw some of these teams play their starters. But if you're gonna get picked up at the end of training camp, you're most likely going to be a third on the depth chart, which means that you have to.
Speaker 1: Do it special team. That's what I'm saying, Like, it's great for him, but it also sucks for him.
Speaker 4: At the same time, just make the best of the situation is what he can do, and then control control.
Speaker 7: If he balls out either way, he's gonna have a spot somewhere.
Speaker 4: Similar somewhere, So he's got plenty of motivation to go out there and try to show out against the Rams.
Speaker 3: Realistically, Isaiah, I know we've had these We've been on this show since twenty twenty together, and you've called a lot of preseason games over the last couple of years too. How much impact does the preseason actually have when it comes to building a roster or our joint practices with the Rams on Tuesday? Is that a bigger deal or is it the practices compounded over the course of a month. How much does how much weight does a preseason game still actually care?
Speaker 1: It depends on the organization, It depends on their coach.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna learn a lot.
Speaker 8: We're gonna learn a lot because you we hear this competition word a lot around here.
Speaker 1: Nowadays.
Speaker 8: We've seen the guys get valued, right, We've seen them get their their pay dirt in terms of moving up the depth chart in practice, But does that really result in them earning a roster spot when it comes down to the final fifty three.
Speaker 1: That's what's left to be seen with this coaching staff.
Speaker 8: Typically, you go to a preseason game, and I want people at home to understand how difficult this is for these players. There's fifty three roster spots. You go into training camp with ninety plus players. You go into these games as an employee knowing that there may be five available spots. Maybe there might be five spots for you to go get, and those spots are going to be based upon the positional need in terms of death right.
Speaker 1: So imagine being.
Speaker 8: Ninety guys or not ninety guys, call it forty guys going for five spots, and you know ninety percent of us are going to give get fired.
Speaker 1: It is the most difficult thing to do as an employee.
Speaker 8: As an athlete, however, you want to reframe it to give it your absolute awe, knowing that your all might not be enough, but you're literally working your tail off trying to make an impression. When even if you make an impression to that team. Now we're not gonna talk about the rest of the thirty one teams, but to that team, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we didn't.
Speaker 4: We never had a spot for you anyway, Thus is the business. You come out and you do it, you control, you can't control. You put your best on the practice field, you put your best on preseason film. And that's why for me, I will never never ever subscribe to or be able to wrap my head around those who care about preseason wins and losses.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Don't ever tweet me about it, don't ever talk to me about it. I do not care. What I care about is the unbridled.
Speaker 4: Evaluation of these guys, these fringe guys who are trying to get those five six or soul spots, who are gonna go out there and they're gonna lay it out, lay it all on the line. And I am interested in seeing who can make things difficult decision wise at certain positions. What if pil Maffa blows up against the Rams and then in the subsequent preseason game, what if not to say that that would be enough for him to outrank let's say, Javonte Williams, a healthy Miles Sanders and then Jay and Blue. But doesn't it make the conversation much more intriguing because now it's like, because we used to have this conversation When I say used to, it was fairly recently. It was the Elite Davis conversation, right, you remember the relape Davis conversation.
Speaker 1: It's like it, do you go with Malik? Do you go with Rico?
Speaker 4: That was when Zee and Tony were still here and they ended up releasing Melik and Twitter verse went crazy, Oh, there's no way Malik's going to clear waivers. Any clear waivers turned up on the practice squad. So right, so things happen, so it'll be interesting. But the preseason for me is you really if you're watching as a fan, be it casual or you're analytical or you're an analyst, like we are trying to key in on these guys performances because this these guys are fighting for, like Isaiah said, they're fighting for their lives right now.
Speaker 7: They're fighting for reps even yeah, seriously for reps here on the practice field. I mean, it's it's about every rep for them. And it's about the mental capacity too. It's one thing that if you're physically able to do it, it's another thing if you're mentally prepared for the pressure that even a preseason games, it means not a lot to those out there statistically, but each and every rep is someone's dream.
Speaker 1: I do respect this coach staff. I know we got to move.
Speaker 8: I respect this coaching staff for not bringing in excess players to positions that would never make the roster.
Speaker 5: I respecting a quarterback seriously.
Speaker 8: I mean, like, there's three quarterbacks here. All three quarterbacks are gonna make the team the most part. I mean that's what it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: You're not bringing in five quarterbacks because you know thisice other two aren't gonna make it. You didn't bring in extra kickers. I was just about you brought in what you needed at the positions that you need it. There's gonna be one spot that's getting fought for in the offensive line. It's probably gonna be two spots, two or three spots fought for in a D line. The linebacker room is really competitive. Defensive backs, you might have one spot available at the quarterback position, maybe one at save safety. I think safety is really set at this point, so so no safeties that are competing or trying to are going to get the spot.
Speaker 1: So you're really competing that cornerback.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying, Like there's one what when you're when you're training, when you're practicing out here, you're competing, that's literally what's on your mind. Like if you're a number, you know they're gonna carry five ors. If you're counting, you're on a dep you're like, okay, okay, Cee, George October, you know what I mean. Like, you know you're fighting for one spot. So it is so hard that you get you go out there in the quarterback. We've seen it every year, Jayleen Marina Cropper has a heck of a camp every freaking year, and right still around because he's still around because of that.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to the games, if the quarterback can't get you the ball, did you not do your job? No, he couldn't give me the ball.
Speaker 5: No, it's a big part of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a great point because you bring up all the guys who have flashed in the preseason previously, and they're either one of two elements. They're either not here still and they're either playing somewhere else or they're no longer in the league, or they are here and they've earned the right to stick around because of what they've done in the preseason in the past.
Speaker 1: You earn another training camp.
Speaker 9: You earn another example of Another example of that is Keymon Hall. Right, he was a rookie last season, and the reason Keymon Hall is still here is because of the pick six in the preseason, right, that he showed something.
Speaker 1: So he's still here and now he gets an opportunity to show again. He even got.
Speaker 3: Cut initially yes and return to the rest of squad and then has continued to fight his way back in.
Speaker 1: The journey is the journey sometimes this is this is it.
Speaker 3: Is the journey, and it's really a long journey for a lot of these guys. Speaking of the journey, we've made the journey out here to training camp. Good, it's summer camp, right. I want to give out some paper played awards from what we've seen so.
Speaker 5: Far in camp.
Speaker 3: This could be football related, this could be non football related. We're gonna make it a lot of fun here. When we come back on talking Cowboys, I want you to think about it. Think about your paper played award that you would give and put it in the comments section as we continue on we're talking Cowboys right after this, At.
Speaker 10: And T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself.
Speaker 2: Warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee place item in the bagging area. Place in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 10: AT and T guarantees connectivity, You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve or we make it right, burms and conditions of mind. Visit att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasty coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 11: If you shout how about them cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink doctor pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 7: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy Lipbam. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to the Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Viz, a line the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome Back, to Oxnar California Training Camp twenty twenty five. This is Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company.
Speaker 5: It is uh, it is summer camp at its finest. We've been sent away for a little bit.
Speaker 3: We're just locking in becoming better people, better at our jobs, hopefully watching some football.
Speaker 5: So I thought, have any of you ever been to summer camp as a kid?
Speaker 3: A couple couple of times summer camp, Josh, you ever going to a summer camp where you're out in the woods.
Speaker 7: Went to a camp with some portly young boys.
Speaker 1: I know where you're going with that.
Speaker 12: Ye.
Speaker 1: Really, this is my first.
Speaker 7: Camp first, like, this is the first camp atmosphere, and this is exactly what I would compare it to.
Speaker 3: And there are different types of camps. There are different types of awards and things. But a lot of times they'll have those cabin awards. Some of them are as simple as paper played awards. I want to do paper played awards for training camp. So far, this doesn't have to be football related only. It could be a whole lot of things. You got fun with it, We have some fun with I want to start with I want to start with Patrick here.
Speaker 4: Let's let's do you know this is uh apropos to who's sponsoring this segment?
Speaker 1: Shouts out to invisil line. I'm gonna have some fun with this. Mine is.
Speaker 4: Best teeth, best teeth of training camp teeth, thief t e f best teeth. Okay, there are a couple of honorable mentions, most notably CD lamb. He's got some pretty nice chance absolutely as as most folks out here do. Well, let me tell you about let me tell you about Joe Milton's teeth. Okay, Joe Milton. We were interviewing him after practice yesterday and and by the way, as far as injuries go, his thumb is completely fine. He said he should be clear to play tomorrow against the Rams. He was a full participant yesterday. But the entire time that he's saying this I could not help but be distracted by the carrots and his tee. By carrots, I do not mean that he had just finished eating lunch. Okay, I'm not talking about vegetables. I'm talking about those four diamonds that two on each side on CD has those two with the solitary like hence my hence my honorable mention for CD.
Speaker 1: So let's just go with the tide. Then start.
Speaker 4: CD Lamb best teeth you gotta say, with the f best teeth of Training Camp, which I love because ced Lamb is going to take one hell of a bite out of this season.
Speaker 1: So there's also that in my neighborhood. I can tell you that what's the dragon, Josh? What you got? All right? I don't know. You can tell you.
Speaker 7: I don't know on air, but I'm going with Cornhole Champion.
Speaker 1: That was mine. That was mine in the.
Speaker 10: Cornhole Champion one and on the game bag and this is all the guys go to that smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't bring last.
Speaker 4: Year, the last year.
Speaker 13: I told Zach from the social media last year and I got C the other he did, sir, I had best off the field story of training Camp.
Speaker 3: I actually forgot n F here, but uh I had Chris Beam and CD and so it's the same story, the same story.
Speaker 7: Please play play.
Speaker 5: So Chris Beam is a notable, notable cornhole player. That's what he does.
Speaker 1: He is Olympian professional.
Speaker 5: Corn hole player and it's professionals used loosely.
Speaker 8: No no, no, no no.
Speaker 5: He can win money playing cornhole, so let's keep that straight.
Speaker 7: They're under ground like a gambling Uh, not.
Speaker 5: Gambling, we're NFL employees.
Speaker 7: No, No, I'm not gambling, but on corn hole, like like they're they're betting on cornhole and beam iss espnotry the uh.
Speaker 3: Anyway, this could have been on ESPN h E. The O Show because it had a nice audience to watch it.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 3: We were eating with Growner just a couple of nights ago, Wednesday night. We were eating dinner and a group of people like kind of was finished with their food and they were walking out back behind the cafeteria, their cafeteria out here at training camp. And sure enough, as they're exiting, they see an unlikely combo playing corn hole together out here at camp. And then unlikely combo was Chris Beam, who runs our podcast as a phenomenal job, shooting, editing, everything with Dallas Cowboys media and then all pro wide receivers.
Speaker 1: Just completely random, and so we walked up.
Speaker 5: They were like, how did this come about?
Speaker 3: And I mean, Beam, you can attest to this yourself, but you walked up ceedee Lamb wanted to play.
Speaker 5: You were already playing.
Speaker 1: Did he challenge you? Beam?
Speaker 5: Did he challenge.
Speaker 1: The mic?
Speaker 8: All?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 5: So what happened was is I walked out with I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Walked out with it.
Speaker 12: I just like threw a couple of bags and I was on the far by the fence where the golf course was.
Speaker 5: I was throwing towards the parking lot, so you face open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, iked through all the bags out of the way and that you know, you know, most of them go in.
Speaker 12: So CD was walking by and he saw this, so he was just like so he picked up a few and he's just like, you know, and he threw a couple of back and I walked out and I was like, you know, you want.
Speaker 8: To go.
Speaker 1: And he was like, oh my gosh, yeah, I'll play you.
Speaker 5: You didn't play one game.
Speaker 1: We didn't know for I did. I did? I did war.
Speaker 5: I looked at him kind of this is kind of like funny.
Speaker 1: I looked at him.
Speaker 12: I said, well, just just letting you know, I'm the ceedy lamb of cornhole.
Speaker 1: I did tell him that what a line. I said that.
Speaker 12: He's like, all right, so we uh. I beat him the first game did get me. The second game he was down ten nothing. He got me the second By this point, would be honest with you, that probably saved me a little bit because if I would have whipped him that game, it would have been over.
Speaker 5: But he now he's okay, I can get him right. So then he's like, all right, we got rubber match.
Speaker 1: So I whipped that. Now now he's hooked.
Speaker 12: Now he's like, I need another game.
Speaker 1: I got him mat and now the blow.
Speaker 5: It was the best of seven series and Chris one and five.
Speaker 1: It was like no, it was like five, it was four one.
Speaker 5: It was the final talent for one and and by the end of it, Beam was just taking him.
Speaker 12: It was it was kind of fun.
Speaker 5: Was to me, I was why was he dragging bags in?
Speaker 1: I mean he was at the end he was saying that, man.
Speaker 12: You're the luckiest gotten like I've been doing it all night too.
Speaker 4: So the rule is when Ceedee Lamb goes off for one fifty and three totties against the Eagles, it's because being hissed him off and training.
Speaker 5: For Beam yesterday. He wants a rematch. But I mean, Josh, it was there was a crowd that got involved.
Speaker 3: There are probably twenty five people at one point watching in cornhole match between Beam and.
Speaker 5: You can't post it, though, secret foot happen.
Speaker 3: It'll be in the deep Blue one day write a documentary's cornhole.
Speaker 7: It's called Poetry in Motion. It'll come out in twenty twenty six. It just it's being formed with the leg one leg up, throwing the bean bag. It's it's really impressive. I'm just, uh, if we needed, you know, a wide receiver tandem last year, I mean, I think we should have looked in house first because Beam and cd.
Speaker 4: Is I was going to say, or the way he's tossing those bags. Quarterback that went down Dimes too could have been on the underhanding.
Speaker 5: But now he is he forever solid. The nickname of beam Bag beam Bag is now the nickname. He ends it up. Well, we gotta beam Bags awards.
Speaker 1: So all three of us we got a comment of the day.
Speaker 5: What was the comment of the day.
Speaker 4: Mv the m v PS Lounge said, let's blame Deak for cd uh losing you and corner that's a good quality troll there, m v P is quality troll.
Speaker 5: J up that doesn't want to smoke Oscott.
Speaker 4: You're being called out by Chris Beam. He said, come see him on the corner hole.
Speaker 3: Dude, this is going to turn into a bit and I love it. I cannot We're gonna have a corn hole segment Lover's beams update of who he takes down in court.
Speaker 7: I just love after the second game, which now I believe maybe Chris may have thrown. Uh, but when he started losing, well, these boards on regulation, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 14: He didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't go for a white man can't jump.
Speaker 6: He's like, is this regulations regulation?
Speaker 5: That's not tall enough? I'd be sinking that he was throwing bags. He goes, Man, I hate these bags. And then he sunk like three straight right into the hole.
Speaker 1: It's all bait. It's all bait. Just don't take the bait.
Speaker 4: One game he sunk all fine tall because once beam has beam has the hook and in a rock, you're coming in the boat.
Speaker 5: That's done. You're coming in the boat, all right, Isaiah, get us back to football. What do we got here?
Speaker 8: Well, you guys know, I am the l Cabby ten of the Long Hair crew. Okay, okay, so are you now?
Speaker 1: I am? So are you now? The Long Hair don't care.
Speaker 8: Award goes to somebody that you guys are not gonna believe them and say, who would you?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, Josh, God, damn, oh man, that was wrong. Not the shot just began last night.
Speaker 8: It Didner, don't worry about this is it's who do you guys think on the team you picked at at already a little bit?
Speaker 1: No really okay, who you do offensive defense? I'm not telling you that. Cavane Okay, no, okay, yeah again, what is it?
Speaker 8: Ceede lamb Trim pretty quality long.
Speaker 1: He walks around with the most immaculate man bun you've ever seen. Yeah, that's facts. It takes a lot of everything. I mean, it takes a lot of golf to do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: I have a high regard for him. Man, I walked around with a man by another day. Takes a man's man to walk around with a man. But do you know what I'm saying? No machine gun Kelly here, but I think tricy shout out to you, sir, keep the man. Am Bun's coming.
Speaker 5: He lives like twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Time out down, Shut it down.
Speaker 5: You're talking cowboys on the other side of the break. I'll see you here in two minutes or so.
Speaker 15: They say, Champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 16: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you let the power to do? Learn more? Bankfamerica dot com slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation, already reserved.
Speaker 10: At and T has a new guarantee Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself warning.
Speaker 2: Each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 10: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right terms and conditions survives a att dot com slash guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasty coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Ripe coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee Today.
Speaker 8: To Talking Cowboys, Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. I am Isaiah Stamback and this is say it with your Chest Friday. I have a confession to make. I would like to retract a statement that I made previously. No offense to anybody, but I would like to retract my previous statement in the last segment when I was referring.
Speaker 1: To man buns. These are the buns I was talking about. I would like to welcome my my co host. Thank you for clarifying. This is a safe place. It takes a lot. It's a safe place of our online community, our friends.
Speaker 8: I apologize and I and I appreciate your understanding of confusion and lack of clarity there.
Speaker 5: Keep the we appreciate.
Speaker 1: In light of that event, a new entrant into the.
Speaker 4: Awards has been has biggest pause of twenty twenty five. That goes to no other than our Isaiah's transit to keep the man buns coming.
Speaker 5: We're going to get all my principles. I was so fast.
Speaker 1: I was only gunning for that award this year. I hated. I hated to I hated had to be you. Oh, ladies and gentlemen, best podcast going like, oh my god, this is too good. All right, if you can come, guys.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, we call you Isaiah, stay back, I'll be sure. Yeah, Oh all right, we gotta shot up.
Speaker 1: And James, I love you too. Keep watching.
Speaker 5: We've got a preseason game to watch tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Isaiah is going to be on the call.
Speaker 5: Can't wait till Jones.
Speaker 3: I'll be on the sideline and we'll be on the pregame show as well. Patrick will have a segment on there too.
Speaker 5: It'll be really fun.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: Uh, things get started three pm Central, four o'clock kickoff. So three pm is the is the pregame show countdown, the kickoff is what it's called. And then we'll have the kickoff of the first preseason game for the Cowboys tomorrow. I want to give three players here that we should keep our eye on going into tomorrow's matchup. And you can give me an offensive player, a defensive player, and then try and give me a special teams guy, because we talked about the importance of special teams and in these preseason games, not a specialist, but a preseason special teams guy to watch.
Speaker 5: Who wants to start us off?
Speaker 7: I can kick us off. Let me do uh, let me start offense? And okay, yeah that was clean.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 7: He's a bar all right, Let me start off with the offense.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: Nate Thomas, all right, he's going to be up. He's not going to be going up against the Jared Versus of the world. Here in the preseason. But he's gotta go push them dudes around. He's got a game the confidence back after a poor showing. Arguably i'd say on on Tuesday, Uh, just get out there and push them dudes around. Like Nate Thomas is going to be one to keep an eye on. As far as defense, Shamar James, I do not need to see him come off the field for anything. Wow, every snap on defense unless he's playing incredible, and then pull him off the field and take his pads off. No, I need to see it.
Speaker 5: You want to keep it going.
Speaker 7: Okay, I know it's preseason, but even going, I just want to see a good game. Really, No, but I really want to see a lot of US Shamar James.
Speaker 1: For me offensively, I'm going Trey Shawn Holden.
Speaker 4: I want to see if treyhon we talked about if you're looking at five wide receivers, maybe six, there's really only one spot up for grabs.
Speaker 1: Who gets that spot?
Speaker 4: Trey Shon Holden came on strong in camp and he's consistently making at least one splash play each day. It feels like sometimes multiple splash plays. I want to see if he can transfer that onto the playing field. Against the n actual NFL opponent, the undrafted, you know, free agent out of Oregon. He and Junior Adams, the wide receivers coach. Let's see if that chemistry keeps going. I want to see that defensively, easy does it?
Speaker 9: I want to see Donovan az Roku and I cannot wait to see that young man unleashed.
Speaker 4: Under the bright lights. I want to see the same thing. If he can translate. Now we know that he can because of what he did at Boston College. But this is a different level of the game. Okay, so let's see if he can. He can, you know, send that trajectory restraight to the moon. Special teams wise, Special teams wise, I'm going Shamar James. I do want to see Shamar James on defense, needless to say, for all the reasons Josh said, and these guys want to see him as well, But Jamar James is he was a special teams monster at Florida, and I think that he's one that Sortsen is going to absolutely love. So I do want to see what Shamar James does on special teams. Nice selection, even though we have a thief in the night over the Offensively, I'm going with Tyler Neville.
Speaker 1: I like him. I like him.
Speaker 8: I think that he honestly, if given a true opportunity through in these three preseason games, I think he can challenge Hunter Lifkey for his position.
Speaker 1: Wow, I really do. I you just said it. I did say with my chest.
Speaker 3: So that goes back to what we were talking about earlier. How does Brian Schottenheimer slow the full back position?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: And then if he doesn't view the full back position very highly, where does he put lift?
Speaker 8: And I'll ad a little context of that. Hunter Lifkey, We've seen him as a fullback, We've seen him as a running back. We have not seen him as a huge contributor in the special teams. Yeah, okay, Tyler Neville is a true tight end that has the mentality of a fullback and has the grit of a fullback.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: I don't think he could really play a running back position, and I think that he's gonna be a heck of a contributor on special teams.
Speaker 1: So I think that Tyler Neville has.
Speaker 8: More versatility than Hunter Lipkey does, So if given opportunity, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do offensively for the Cowboys in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Defensively, I think the easy one with for me would be Mazzi Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's gonna play.
Speaker 1: I mean it's the third year. We've talked about it. We talked about it earlier in the week. Third year.
Speaker 8: Regardless of where you're drafted, you need to show something and I have I personally, to date, have not seen enough regardless of where he was drafted. I think he needs to have a heck of a showing in these three preseason games or the Dallas Cowboys need to approach that position group and whatever becomes available during training camp or via trade, I think that they have to address that room if he doesn't show what they need to see. Special teams wise, special teams wise, I am going with who did I have? Oh Tyrus week He's a dog, Yeah, he's a dog. He's a dog on defense all through preseason. We've seen it every year he's around. That's why he's around. And he's a he's a one of the most versatile special teamers course special teams that you can have. So I look forward to seeing him continue to have good showings in a preseason.
Speaker 7: A guy that nobody really talks about either like he's kind of under the radar, but consistently Yeah, well until right now, and Isaiah brings up a good point about him, but you see him constantly bring it in every practice. I forget to actually give you my special teams player to watch out for. So on the depth chart, you have Kavanti Turpin, Juania Thomas, and then Jalen Cropper as your third returner. I don't think you're going to see Kavante. I don't think you're going to see Janie Jalen Cropper. Let's see what he does on special teams.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's been back returning kicks and stuff. Tolbert I know he has done it too, but you're not gonna see Tolbert.
Speaker 1: No, no, no way, no.
Speaker 7: I like that. I want to see how he contributes in that role. Obviously it's Avante Turpin's role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he's done in the past.
Speaker 3: He's been in these preseason games and I think he had a mistake one of these preseason games, either last year or the year before, where he muffed upon or at Kike or whatever it was. I think he fumbled the guests to the turn. One of those things. I'll have to go back and look at it. But yeah, for a chance to make the roster and to continue staying around, that's going to be big for him. I'll stick with wide receiver from my offensive one, Jonathan Mingo. I want to see what Jonathan Mingo has because he's not going to be off to the side. He's going to get legitimate reps and he's one of these guys that you would anticipate to compete for that wide receiver three or four spot on the roster. But he will play a lot in the preseason again. Talked to him yesterday at post practice as well.
Speaker 5: What did he say.
Speaker 8: He said that he was swimming a little bit in terms offensively understanding where to be, what to do. He said he feels much more comfortable and has a clear understanding of what the playbook is and where he fits in into playbook.
Speaker 3: And that's what I want to see. I want to see where he fits, where he's able to maneuver onto that offensive side. Because it's not to be Dak Prescott throwing the football, but if Jonathan Mingo is a vertical threat, you know who's throwing in the football, Joe Milton.
Speaker 5: He can throw the ball pretty far.
Speaker 1: Ninety.
Speaker 5: That's what he said yesterday.
Speaker 1: He said you can throw it. He got more than that defense.
Speaker 5: I want to go defensive line. I want to see J. Toya.
Speaker 3: I want to see Toya because some ups and we've seen some downs. I want to see how consistent he can remain. You want to see what they how he impacts the game.
Speaker 1: Hey, we got who got what are you doing? Okay?
Speaker 4: What we gotta ask you got to ask once Kyle finishes, you got to give her the question, did you finish your Okay?
Speaker 5: So wait?
Speaker 3: One more special teams, Zion Childress. Okay, we've seen him as a gunner a couple of times. They've kind of moved them in and out, trying to find out where he fits. I want to see what Childress has. But my my three were MINGO on the defense, defense, J Toya, and then special teams.
Speaker 5: Was uh I just.
Speaker 1: Ts I just said it.
Speaker 5: I'm throwing off.
Speaker 8: What do you do?
Speaker 12: What you had a podcast this morning?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the question is three players the watch in the preseason game, one offense, one defense, and then one special teams.
Speaker 1: But not a specialist.
Speaker 17: I'm gonna go offense, John Stevens because obviously that's a lot of Luke school Maker, Brevian span Ford.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 17: Obviously with injuries, he's not gonna be playing. So this is a big day for John Stevens to get some opportunities. Defense who this one is tough.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I'm gonna go Donovan as Roku. I mean this is obviously second round pick for the Dallas Cowboys. He's been flashing throughout camp, making some really good plays and that defensive end room is loaded. Dante Fowler, Sam Williams, Marshawn neland improving as well. You don't really know there what you have as far as playing alongside Michael Parsons. Whenever that deal does get done.
Speaker 1: Special teams, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 17: Elijah Clark. I'm gonna go Elijah Clark because he's been some gaining some opportunities that safety, getting some first team reps with Jane Thomas not injured and not playing for a little bit, but he was back in practice yesterday. But just talk about a Lojah Clark. That's a way for him to get on the field as a rookie and I'm excited to see you.
Speaker 5: So this is day nineteen for you out here nineteen for you over the entire time.
Speaker 3: Nicole hutcheson if you don't follow her, already follow her and the girls Stock Boys Stock podcast that comes on the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network. As she runs off into tonight had her fun, I was like, if what is? I was like, is there gonna be a surprise here?
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 1: She just ran around?
Speaker 5: He's wanting to be in Donovanzroku.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be on the best podcast you know the tricks by the way, bro, thank you. I can't go a whole day without marry your shirt.
Speaker 3: Without dressing addressing the shirt. Yeah, I've got Noel, Leo and Mikey. I love my triplets with the fist pump with dad.
Speaker 1: The fatherhood are always immaculates. That's pretty.
Speaker 3: So I wore this because the good news is I loved having the three or the five shows with you guys out here. The bad You're going to tell us you're leaving us. I'll see you on I'll see you in frist Fris. I'll be on the on the call on the sideline tomorrow and then I'm back in l A six. Hey, you're you're going.
Speaker 4: To again, so once again, it's home. It's okay. We're gonna strap it up, strap it up.
Speaker 1: Need you to get the word out we're back.
Speaker 9: I said, strap it now, you're trying to. We'll be on the podcast trying to nothing's coming now a couple of good and I even did the correct motion. We don't know, man Blenson.
Speaker 4: Is it.
Speaker 5: On the podcast next week? Is it TVD? Probably Tommy right.
Speaker 1: Most likely? Talking about the most likely it'll be.
Speaker 5: It'll be Tommy most likely.
Speaker 3: And then of course Patrick Josh will be on the show next week for the couple of ship prior to returning back home to Frisco, Texas a week after that.
Speaker 5: That's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Gentlemen, it was a whole lot of fun this week.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the games.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the preseason games of course, uh first one starting Saturday, three pm Central Time, four pm kickoff on CBS eleven in Dallas, and then check your local listings for Dallas Cowboys football for Isaiah Stanback, Patrick no Cy Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the front. I'm Kyle Yeomans saying so long from Oxnard, California. We'll see you next time with more Talking Cowboys. This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.