Speaker 1: Yo, what's up that you brought to? Kid merrow Man, Welcome to Victory like you cowards. Today we have Lawrence Bernie, writer extraordinaire and author of No Sensuition.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about the book.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna talk about Baltimore and New York City in terms of DVDs errors, you know what I'm saying, and also being young and dumb and getting a large settlement of money at nineteen years old, among other things. So don't go nowhere, because we're talking about conspiracy theories too, and a very special ti fulfited stay right.
Speaker 2: There, lily, like like a literary like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rickular like you know what it is, baby. You know who we are, what we do, and what we got to give to you.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. And today we.
Speaker 1: Got a very very special guest. This is my guy man for a long time. He is a revered music critic. You know I'm saying, like everybody knows that Fox with his ship knows he got the sauce.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He is the author of No Sensuition. It's out right now, go get you six hardcover copies. You know what I'm saying, we got to make this shit go plany on the street, Lawrence, Bernie, I would read on your byline brother be here for forty five.
Speaker 3: Mike said, thank you for hanging out with us.
Speaker 1: Sir, So like I said, you know what I'm saying, we we go back, like dude, rag flap.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, back.
Speaker 1: To the.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen BC.
Speaker 4: Might be a little before that. Yeah, came to Baltimore and did the Yes Adventures a Mirror.
Speaker 2: Yes was something on Homeboy with And.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because that was my first exposure to Baltimore and I felt so comfortable.
Speaker 2: Everybody's like, you gotta chill, you can't be out here, like and I was like, bro, I feel like I want treatmont. Yeah. I was like, I feel great. I was like this ship is amazing that.
Speaker 1: I was like, Bro, this shit don't look as crazy as you think it do. Bro, Like, I was like, if you're from any hood, USA, you know how to move.
Speaker 2: It's regular ship. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You gotta watch and then you get there it's that wait.
Speaker 6: These are people like, Yeah, I was in I was in Toledo, Ohio, and like I went to this bowling alley like with with with the with my friends that I was going with, and like the uber driver was like, Yo, it's a it's a bad neighborhood over here. You you might have trouble finding somebody to pick y'all up.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I kind of don't even want to drop y'all off over here. Bro.
Speaker 6: It was mad that s looked like one seven nine and Kratona bro mad regular And I'm like, what the fuck? Like what like, yeah, bro, white people see graffiti on Google Maps and they go west in this area.
Speaker 2: That's my tag. Yeah I did that. I did this ship. That's I get.
Speaker 4: I get the worst questions about Baltimore, like this crazy.
Speaker 2: How did you survive? You must be strong. I know you had it rough. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Like it's like racism but worse, like bro, like I could take the racism ship, but like the I don't even know what you call it's like pity. Yeah, it's like projection of like pity and shame.
Speaker 1: I call it like the blind side effect, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Blindside where it's like yo, oh oh you poor colored man.
Speaker 4: The wire questions, Oh my god, it's crazy, Bro, I got it.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk a little bit about that before we get into like the early because that is such a like did that ruin like being for Baltimore, bro, because it's like yo, it's like Sopranos to Jersey, Like yo, yeah, not everybody's Italian in the Jersey.
Speaker 2: It's a double edged sword.
Speaker 4: Like I feel like, for one, I don't know what people's perception.
Speaker 2: That Baltimore was before The Wire.
Speaker 4: If anything, I think maybe like John Waters kind of controlled the perception of Baltimore like being this like white, kitchy, working class perky, which it has that, But I feel like The Wire and The Corner before, but the Corner didn't really blow up like that. Like I personally prefer The Corner, which is like a mini series that came out David Simon san people.
Speaker 2: But I think The Wire just like it's a good show. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Like I didn't watch it until maybe like twenty fifteen because when it was out, I'm just like, I can just go outside show.
Speaker 2: For I see this shit.
Speaker 4: But when I finally gave in and watched it, I was working this horrible office job as Social Security. I didn't know work, and I was like, let me just watch The Wire on my phone every day. I'm not doing the work in this bitch, let me just let me just watch it.
Speaker 2: And it's actually a really great show.
Speaker 4: I just think it it abbreviates what the Baltimore experience is, so people think that's the totality of the city, which is a lot of it, but it's not complete. It's not like everybody, Hey, you know, you grow up around the way, like you had people that play the streets. You got the dudes on the porch that played in yugioh.
Speaker 2: Cuds, you got the old Ladies, you got.
Speaker 4: The Frozen Couple. It's like all of that is one community. But I feel like The Wire, because of what it was trying to get across, didn't necessarily shed light on the totality of a neighborhood, you know. Like in no fault of David Simon, like I think he did a great job, but I just think the.
Speaker 2: Blowback of it is just so.
Speaker 4: I also just kind of didn't realize how big of a show it was until I moved out of Baltimore, Like when I moved here and it was like podcasts about it and like Twitter pages dedicated to it. I'm just like, yeah, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: It's not that interesting. People people make you.
Speaker 6: People ask you questions like you was in the ship exactly.
Speaker 2: They asked you questions like you was.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, I actually didn't meet the real body, though I met the real body before.
Speaker 2: And my grandfather is from.
Speaker 4: Those projects called Lexington Terrace. It's like west in West Baltimore, but more closer to downtown. So a lot of the characters were like based on real people. So I met like maybe two of the people, but they don't look anything like how you doing this?
Speaker 2: It's just different.
Speaker 4: But I like I like the I just don't like what it's done to people's brains about Baltimore, Like the focus is too narrow.
Speaker 3: Mind good sex to the city because it's like not exactly you're not gonna see that.
Speaker 4: Girls, or like I'm like, well, why is it no black person on the screen like this people?
Speaker 2: Girls?
Speaker 1: I probably shouldn't even be saying this. I'm saying because you know what we independent When I started doing TV, I got to push my HBO to write a show that was like a direct answer, like answer to girls because they will already getting heat like I got a white like bro, it was like a drug deal. I got like a white late like a white DVD. Here go watch this and write something that's exact opposit. And I was like, I got you.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, And it never happened. I want to why you know what? Yeah? I mean like I said, I think The White is a good show.
Speaker 4: I just think, like I just hate what it's done to people's brain about Baltimore and now I think because of it, because of its success, that's kind of all people crave from Baltimore, like even like the local and it's always been a case. But I just think, like drugs, political corruption, policing, that's just like what people expect from Baltimore. So if you have anything outside of that.
Speaker 2: We got the green light, they got.
Speaker 4: Some money to do something high on a hug type ship like I take it to we can hop on a boat on the Chesapeake Bay.
Speaker 2: All types of ship going on.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Also, Maryland has probably the hardest flag of any state that.
Speaker 2: I would say. So it's ugly, but it's hard.
Speaker 6: That looks like some Game of Throne ship. I would listen, that's a that's a kingdom. I would rep in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 4: But you know, like people people don't know, and I don't know if this was the original intention, but the flag is like half Confederate half Union. That's like supposed to be what it represents. Like the red and white part is like for Confederate sympathizers and the black and yello parties for Union sympathizings. So I think it's like a certain way you can fly the flag that let people know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I.
Speaker 4: Know that's not I don't think that was the intended purpose of it, but it became that because Maryland was very split on like the Civil War. I think they wanted to secceed, but Abraham Lincoln put on into martial law so they couldn't secceed because they didn't want to be surrounded by Virginia and Maryland being on the Confederate side.
Speaker 2: But that's Lord, you don't get about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I'm just thinking, like Yo, Dixon and Steve Blake's out there something.
Speaker 4: The terms got those shorts though, like I ordered them on eBay. I'm like I need, I need the old school shorts with the flag on it. Yeah, hell yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 6: You bring up the fact that like half the flag was meant to represent one side and half of the other. I've always felt like with my experiences with people from Baltimore, like it's kind of like the biracial sibling of the East Coast.
Speaker 2: It's like, I.
Speaker 6: Like that because it's too north to be South, but it's too south to be yeah, you know what I mean. So it's like and like you talk about that in one of one of my favorite essays in the in the book Two Pillars, where it's like, you know, in Baltimore, you don't have an accent exactly up here, everybody's on Wednesday to like that. As I came, I'm like, I just didn't even know it was a thing. Like you know, I mean, I came here before as a kid, but I wasn't necessarily around people.
Speaker 2: I wasn't around my age mates. When I got to l i U.
Speaker 4: I went to the Brooklyn campus, right it was like a year before the Buckley Center and all that ship. It was like old Fort Green projects were still there over there. But anyway, all of my friends in there was from the East Coast. Everybody was from New York, Boston, Jersey, Philly, Connecticut. I never met anybody from Connecticut before, like I still have. I met somebody that was like, yeah, I'm from Pistol Waven, new Haven, and I was like.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: In new Haven?
Speaker 5: I never heard that.
Speaker 2: It was not really hitting, but I'm gonna fuck with it.
Speaker 4: Then from there like a year ago when I said it to them and they was like, damn, how you know about Pistaway. But to answer your question, like I think, I mean Maryland is the South. People don't consider it that, but it's under the Mason Dixon line. It's a slave state. Harriet tell me that Frederick Douglas was from there. They had to escape, so it clearly wasn't the North. But I think like culturally, I think that whole it's a whole debate on whether like what's part of the d MV whatever whatever. I'm not gonna get into that because it's annoying, but I will.
Speaker 2: Say everybody feels that way from over there. It's ridiculous. Like you say, it's just a bad terms. It's a bad term.
Speaker 1: Talk about this like in pre pro and it's I came up with the idea that it's like he's.
Speaker 2: From the Bronx for the Bronx. He's from Brooklyn. That's like if you tell us, oh, y'all from the Tri state area.
Speaker 4: Exactly right in to the Bronx is DC to Baltimore. It's the same, except in New York it's one city there. It's not thought of in that way because it's small, Like DC is forty five minutes to one hour away, and it's obvious culture over that. But I just don't think people look at it that way when you lived there. I didn't even really see it that way until I moved here, and I'm like, wait a minute, Like I would tell somebody from Baltimore, They're like, oh, yeah, I was in DC last week, and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, not where I'm from.
Speaker 4: But I was like, okay, you onto something though, And it made me kind of shift how I covered the region because I was more Baltimore focused, and then I was like, okay, let me let me represent the whole area because.
Speaker 2: Nobody else is doing it.
Speaker 4: But to answer your question, I do think whether it be like Baltimore, DC, or even like even down to Richmond, I feel like it has that nice in between of like Baltimore looks like a city, but it don't operate like a city. It's like more small town vibes. It's quiet, it's slow.
Speaker 2: Nobody gonna make you feel bait for not doing anything.
Speaker 4: Like New York when I lived here, Like when I would go into my little studio apartment, I'd be pacing back and forth, smoking at jay like I have to get out of here, like and I just got off.
Speaker 2: Work, but I still feel like I'm not.
Speaker 6: Getting productive, Like you gotta make moves, you gotta constantly be on something on your ground, like and that's not that's not really the vibe at home, Like I be catching the water.
Speaker 2: Taxi some days just because like you just don't want to.
Speaker 4: You can hop on it, like on various partsive test Peak Bay, you can just hop on the water taxi and just take a fucking ride like that. Don't feel like some cities shipped to me, Like I'm sure New York has something similar, but yeah, it's it's it's a mixture.
Speaker 2: It's a mixture.
Speaker 4: And then all our families for the most part, like if they're not from another part of Maryland, like the Eastern Shore, which is more like a deep southern type of vibe. Probably peoples from Virginia or North Carolina. That's probably two generations removed Max So And when I ask my grandmother, I'm like, do you think this is the South? You're like, yeah, it's the South, but it's I think because it's been industrialized. It has more of a city feeling, yeah, rugged, but like outside of Baltimore, like there's no really no other city in Maryland to be honest, like unless you count d C as being part of Maryland.
Speaker 2: But outside of that, everything is pretty.
Speaker 1: Suburb Like the difference between Baltimore and d C on tour when I went up there and I tried to do a go go joke in Baltimore.
Speaker 7: I heard about that, and wasn't I heard about them? I was like, that heard heard about.
Speaker 2: You kissed some niggas. I heard about that.
Speaker 4: But if you would have went there and said some club music ship, we would have got the same exact reaction. It's like it's love, but it's it's a it's a friendly robba. At this point, I feel like outside of the area, like you know, people stick together, but once you get there, it's like very sectioned off. It's like y'all do y'all thing over there, we do our thing over here. We we intersect when we intersect.
Speaker 2: Theade the west Side exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: But I, like you said, like I I do think it's it's like a hybridized type situation. But I didn't face the like your country thing until I came in, Like they like you talk slow as fuck, you say high school, you don't say high school, you know, just like the fuck Like I know, you know, you never think about it.
Speaker 2: You get him like damn, Like yeah, I guess I am kind of good.
Speaker 1: And it's and it's I mean, you know, obviously the Baltimore accent, Like the Baltimore accent.
Speaker 2: Is like a very.
Speaker 1: Also people could clock it like there's a very popular video you.
Speaker 2: He's like turned me up.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie like people at home know about me before. But I feel like that one like made like a local treasure. I remember I was sitting on my front steps one day just chilling at some young girl.
Speaker 2: She was like, it's like you're the dude from the Ronnie Richin. Fuck with what you're doing for the city.
Speaker 4: I've been doing this fam but like it took Roddie Risk, like like it's.
Speaker 2: Rain malfunctioned for a second. He was like from Baltimore. Yeah, that's like that. This section was crazy down the history. That should put me in logo loaded. He had the wheel like hold on for Baltimore. That's my father.
Speaker 4: The most viral ship that I've ever been like engaged with at all. Like anytime I post it, they go crazy.
Speaker 2: You get millions of views. It's crazy. I'm like, I was just having a regular conversation, That's what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like you aren't even talking about like yo, the city and talking.
Speaker 4: It's like, exactly, that's you.
Speaker 2: So taking it to going from man, now you're in New York.
Speaker 1: We advice, like you said, like you know, it's a different pace everything.
Speaker 2: What's something that happened? Advice? Because like I know.
Speaker 1: When I was there, we were that simultaneously, but like it was a different energy because I feel like actually Bronson ran that building for sure, and there was shipped that I saw that. I was like, Bro, if I did this anywhere, they'd be like, Yo, get the fuck out of there.
Speaker 2: What's the stories? Bro?
Speaker 1: I seen this man bringing a herd of goats and a mini bike into into the building the street source.
Speaker 2: So I was just like, Yo, what the fuck is going on there?
Speaker 4: I was like I can't smoke reading the same case, fashion meetings, all types of shit like so because.
Speaker 1: People say all the time it was different, like if you were there as like writing, like working on that side of it versus like the TV side of it, it was different.
Speaker 2: What was it for you.
Speaker 1: Like there as as a writer, you know what I mean, like doing pieces the workload. You know what I'm saying, yo, uh, And like what was some of this crazy shit that you were like all right, bro, Like yeah, I don't know if I'm gonna do this, but I'm just trying to make it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that they even gave me a job, I felt like that was a win for me because like all the.
Speaker 2: Way up to that point.
Speaker 4: I mean I got an essay in the book about it. It's called good Government Job. But just about all of them bullshit as jobs I worked throughout all of my twenties, Like I worked at a bank as a teller. I walked at certain security like doing tax shit. I worked at a movie there out did uber just trying to make a happens. Or the fact that I got a job that I was like, I don't care, like I get I got paid like forty eight games. It was crazy, but with me, that was an upgrade because I was making less than that at the office job I was at.
Speaker 2: So I took that ship and ran full force with it.
Speaker 4: But when I got there, it was kind of like lawless but structure at the same time, Like it was like a lot of shit going on that I would never think you could do at a regular job, like whenever rappers came. But I worked that noisy so I felt like I wasn't under the same pressure as like if you worked.
Speaker 2: At at like a more buttoned up job, ye're like.
Speaker 4: Actual vice dot Com or like Motherboard or like people that were doing like serious shit. My job didn't really feel like that. Like we were hanging out with rappers. They would come. It was like come and practice for me to smoke a blunt with a rab bound cider interview.
Speaker 2: That was sex for the whole conversation.
Speaker 4: It was my first time smoking rapper weeds.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, whole three five in the blunt.
Speaker 4: I remember one day we got tripy red that came the day up an eclips.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what year it was.
Speaker 4: I want to say, like twenty eighteen or seventeen, whatever, year that Trump looked directly in the sun without the glasses.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 4: That same day, Trippy Red came to the office, was supposed to do an interview. He didn't have no weed on him, so we I got some form. It might have been mine. I just went to my book bag and just took him some and he rolled it up and he just faced the whole gunt like in front of me.
Speaker 6: I was like, Damn, it was crazy.
Speaker 4: I was described, this is the most entitled shit I ever witnessed my life. Crazy faced the whole one Florida ship, bro, because I feel like that was crazy.
Speaker 1: I feel like even like even in like Maryland, like and up if you.
Speaker 4: Get Ohio from like whatever town the Hall of Fame as in a sense, I'm like Youngstown, Ohio from just just got the Florida Florida look, Florida, That's that's what it is.
Speaker 2: He got the Broward County DLC.
Speaker 4: That's serious about him, about like how is he a blood and all this street from Youngstown, Ohio. But then one of those Instagram pages recently that dude like all regional rap throwback ship hosted some rapper from his town and he was in the video as a small kid, and they was all bloods. It was like from two thousand and three. I'm like, damn, he wasn't faking at all. This is actually he was living instown, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Legit. Advice was fun though.
Speaker 4: It was fun, like I feel like I came at like the Golden Age advice when they were really having bread sending people all over the world, and I was like, ship, Like, I've never been to Africa. I'm going to like I'm figuring that ship out. I'm like, they sent it niggas everywhere. Every day, it's people going around the world. I came up with some pitch about like how I was dying to reconnect with my roots even though I wasn't. I was just like, I just let me get this to get this flight was the first year that Afro punk was in Johannesburg, and they accepted my pitch within like a couple of days and I was on the flight ship shot I need to do this Like that was an error, bro, because that was a great error. I went to Berlin, Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Kingston, Jamaica to do some popcorn story.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember I remember that ship because you were doing like the serious noisy ship, and I was doing like the young man smoke two blunts and listened to this. I was doing that too.
Speaker 4: I would saying most of my jobs, but I just tried to make the serious ship hit.
Speaker 2: We were doing ship like. I think one day.
Speaker 4: It's funny now because I just did a cover story of this band called Turnstile Massive.
Speaker 2: They dropped, just dropped the album.
Speaker 4: Massive, hallcore band from Baltimore, and I remember in a lot of hallcore bands are straight age. I didn't know anything about none of that shit. But when I worked ad vice, I had a couple people on staff for me that were into that world, who were also straight edge.
Speaker 2: And then one day, I think four twenty.
Speaker 4: They had us like react to some type of music that you never listened to before.
Speaker 2: So they just kind of.
Speaker 4: Influenced me to get high and make fun of niggas that were straight edge.
Speaker 2: That's something like that. I just listened to straight edge music for three days.
Speaker 4: That was my assignment to get high and listen to straight edge music and trash it. And I had people still to this day, like three maybe a year ago, somebody like found my DM on Instagram and destroyed me.
Speaker 2: It was like, you don't know about straight edge. Fuck you.
Speaker 4: They were like, if you want to burn your brain, leave that on you, don't.
Speaker 2: Put that on us.
Speaker 4: And I just replied, licked my bones. It just trashd me. I was like, bro, that was five years ago.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I didn't know. And of that advice.
Speaker 1: That's the type of ship that you can show to like your boss. And we're gonna put this on the crazy idea.
Speaker 6: The better straight edge music was the the first time I heard a hardcore diss record because because this is band called Life Ruiner, very deep cut for y'all. Right, there's a band called Life Ruiner and one of their members broke edge. That's what you call it, Like when you straight edge and you don't when you when you straight edge, and like you do drugs, you do drugs or your drink, it's called breaking edge.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So they dropped the track and the whole thing is just them going fuck you, Doug, We're like.
Speaker 2: You broke your.
Speaker 6: I'm like, this is this is the wildest ship I've ever heard of my life.
Speaker 4: Drinking to be cool to not be on drugs. Yeah, different, Like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Then the suburbs people are doing a lot of rugs and they're just like the only way to be cool is to not that's I'm like this, this is weird, this is not cool to me, but it's true because a lot of the dead sober pushing each other in the bro.
Speaker 6: A lot of those hardcore bands are from them fuck ass small towns. So it's like people do drugs, brawdalk in life is almost more radical smoking. It's so crazy, felt Yeah, yeah, it's very crazy.
Speaker 2: So let's get into the book.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, because coming from Baltimore doing like I don't want to say the bulk of your work, but a lot of like the initial writing, that initial like yo, I'm here, I've arrived, was in New York.
Speaker 2: So how did that?
Speaker 1: Did that kind of like play a part in like the genesis in this book, right.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, for sure, for sure, I would say, like it's all it's all like a it's all.
Speaker 2: A progression at the end of the day, Like I think.
Speaker 4: Mafle moved to New York, but I I can't even say before I moved to New York because I've been coming here off and on since I was a kid, Like I got an uncle who's an artist who's been living here since I was probably three, So until I up until I got to like middle school age, I would be coming here and spending time with him, like every summer.
Speaker 2: And when he says here, he's here particular location, I used to be in here. I don't know what the flavor of wings is, but I used to be here, get him.
Speaker 4: Nnesse wings up and take it in a small little No, it wasn't smalls.
Speaker 2: Actually freezer bag of wings? Are you taking with you?
Speaker 4: But I would spend time up here a lot, So I would say like I was always influenced by what was happening in New York, Like I knew there was more happening in the world outside of Baltimore. So I feel like keeping that in the back of my mind when it came time to go to college, and I'm like, I don't know what I'm going to do in college, but I know I want to go to New York because I want to be in the mix. And I was here for that one year at school, and I feel like that one year in school really just.
Speaker 2: Changed my life.
Speaker 4: I didn't I didn't stay up here, but just being around a diverse group of people because Baltimore is black.
Speaker 2: And white, like strictly I mean Mountain.
Speaker 4: Maybe now it's a little different, like it's a lot of people from outside of door that live in Maryland in.
Speaker 2: General, some some people from Mexico.
Speaker 4: But when I was growing up, it was black American and white American, and even if you were like Caribbean, people.
Speaker 2: Didn't know it.
Speaker 4: American culture is dominant, Like even in my family, like my stepfather that you're making my sister and father's from Trinidad. Most of my cousins their father's a West Indian, but you kind of kept that in your family.
Speaker 2: Like I would go to school, my first ringtone was was welcome to jam. Black Niggas Like what come to job. You're like, bro, please turn that shit on.
Speaker 4: I try to put people onto tartel and all that, and they're like, bro, I just I can't understand it.
Speaker 2: I was just like, okay, I'm just do this at home.
Speaker 4: But growing up it was very like it's very American town. So coming to LU and having like Indian homies that were like studying pharmacy or like friends who were Caribbean and from Brooklyn or people from anywhere. That was like really eye opening to me, and I feel like it's stuck with me. So I went back home with more like a motivation to be somebody, even though I felt like I'm in Baltimore, I'm doing my thing, I got a kid, I'm young, but I feel like that one experience kind of gave me like a what are they call it, like a north stuck.
Speaker 2: It gave me.
Speaker 4: It gave me that internal thing of like I need to work towards something.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I'm gonna make.
Speaker 4: This in shape, but I've seen it enough. But I'm like, I can't just tap out, you know what I'm saying, like on the top of the mountain exactly. So even when I was working those jobs, like I still had I had a blog, I had a zine called Trulos Well. I was just kind of document and everything else happening.
Speaker 1: True Laurels bro for ya. I know, no if that's if you know, you know, you know what I'm saying. It was like the original, like that's what.
Speaker 2: I looked about.
Speaker 4: It was my zine, it was my thing, and I'm like, I'm just gonna do my thing. But I think spending time in New York, I kind of learned how to go about.
Speaker 2: Making a magazine. And that's before I moved here.
Speaker 4: So I think doing those things made me attractive to people outside of Baltimore. Like it was it was like let me, let me do something that's about home, but let me make it accessible and attractive to people outside of home.
Speaker 2: So I feel like without.
Speaker 4: New York, I wouldn't have been able to do that because New York is worldly. It's like people from everywhere here. Yeah, it's like if you if you can speak to people in a worldly place, you kind of got in the back of your here like Okay, I can make this scale, like I can make this, I can make this reach other people. So I would definitely say like being in New York, there is no book without my time in New York for sure. And one of my favorite essays, like the Two Pillars Joint, that's a real that was like my real experience going to that school, going to LU and kind of like interfacing with different people. Like I said, like I was trying to play Gucci and Yo Gotti and people going in school.
Speaker 2: And they was like they were like bro this is.
Speaker 4: They playing like goods off the U r H.
Speaker 2: It's funny playing first of all time.
Speaker 4: I'm like, bro, this garbage, Like how do you say, how do you think Gucci Man is when he's rapping like a Southern rapper with a New York accent.
Speaker 8: Was just like what, It's so honest, like it's yeah, and it's crazy because like remember with French, there was like a there was like a French I don't know if it was thug or ken drag or he was just like, y'all, I.
Speaker 2: Got more his than these motherfuckers. Man.
Speaker 4: He really believed that, he really believe it, and I was just like people here love him.
Speaker 2: I was like yo.
Speaker 6: I was like yo me whenever French Montana tells me to do something.
Speaker 2: It was crazy because it's so perplexing to me.
Speaker 4: I'm like like Max Mousy is trash, but you but you with French geography, French and Max b it was like a burger and fries and it's like it's a to me, like I always say, like my defense of it was like.
Speaker 1: Yo, y'all wasn't outside with no shirt on drinking and Jay Cooke wait too blast in the background, so you can't relate to this ship. Bro, This is experiential music. This is you know what I mean, Like it was had to be there music.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And by the way, I was there, But I was also like eleven so yeah, like it's funny, you know, bringing up two pillars, Like it's one of the first sentences in that essay is what is it about French Montana that these redacted love so much?
Speaker 5: I understand that?
Speaker 6: Literally, bro. I swear to God when I read that, and I went on, that's how you are playing make.
Speaker 4: The trap say hey, right, just sitting around like I'm like, yo, do you understand how monumental?
Speaker 6: Yeah, listen when when you listen, fifty bricks is cannon.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 6: When he hit that hit that cook tracked out the bush stop and I was like, this is incredible Corolla zone on that ship.
Speaker 2: He's like thirty two, I'm cooking that in the crop pot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They were giving me massive brief for l I U like, I had one homeboy from Boston that was fucking with it.
Speaker 2: Everybody else was just like, bro, this is horrible.
Speaker 4: And then one and then, for whatever reason, after the winter break up that freshman year, when I came back I think fifty cent had a song with Gucci. Yeah, randomly, and I heard somebody in my dorm room floor blast and I'm like, these motherfucker's like, oh, you needed a fifty cent coach here to thank Gucci.
Speaker 2: It's hard. I'm like, this song is fresh. That is such a New York attitude.
Speaker 1: B yeah yo nah Now this ship is wah bro Gucci man, that is how Conys fuck nigga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funk out of there. I listened in to fucking rock Kim like, you know what, Kim Alive, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like that first week of January I heard that ship. I'm like, y'all can't be sorry.
Speaker 6: Right, But like, New York is weird in that way because you have another You have another quote in that essay in particular that says, a the shame of small town Neess was knocking me off my square.
Speaker 2: And uh, it's interesting because.
Speaker 6: New York is a place where you're encouraged to be an individual, but at the same time you're shamed for being too different, and like, if you don't fall in line, you're a hater, but if you show love too quick, you're a dick rider.
Speaker 2: And it's like, so there's no winning.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, So like how does that like, how did that experience? I know you got into it already a little bit, but like with music specifically, all of that plus coming from a musical family like Liz Is. Liz mentioned this in the doc, like you come from a musical background, So like, would you say that, like.
Speaker 2: Your music critique, your takes, how different? How different would they sound if.
Speaker 6: It wasn't for l I U if it wasn't for you, know what I mean, having the AX and getting those reactions and also coming from.
Speaker 4: Musical family, how different woul my music tastes me? If I never went yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean the crazy thing is I would it would obviously be different, but I feel like it's I was already pretty open minded, like even amongst my friend group, like me listening to Luke bay Fiasco was like he's different, Well he's starting to become different. Like that was my thing with my homeboys, Like everybody was listening, like I said, Gucci Buci, Wabby whatever. So you would have found it eventually. I would have found it eventually, maybe not French Montana, maybe like.
Speaker 2: The World Cup, maybe Mickey Facts. Yeah, yeah, something like that. But I would say like Charles Hampton, Mickey Fax, those types.
Speaker 4: But I did like the U R L guys. I did like that because I didn't come up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about none of that ship at all.
Speaker 4: But also I think I didn't know about Drake until I came to LU Like I had never heard of him, and the people up here was already bumping him, like I literally so far gone, that's when I found out about him, Like I found out about him on that the intro So Far Gone, My homeboy is playing it, and everybody up here was already hip. It just didn't make its way down yet. So like I probably got up on some ship a little earlier as far as like Northeast music that makes it so east cause I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm from the East coast too.
Speaker 4: But like Northeast North, the real Northeast music I got.
Speaker 2: I got State and Philly and all that, like I got more hip probably.
Speaker 4: A little earlier by being here, like learning about like the good like I said, goods and what's the other loaded lucks?
Speaker 2: Who's some other? Who was the old It was an old dude Ice. His name Ice. We remember some name. He's old. He was old historian name Ice. I don't remember a guy named Ice. But I I.
Speaker 4: Enjoyed all of that ship, but I just didn't come from I didn't come from that. I would say it went into like my regular music diet. But it was definitely, like you know, it was helpful to get like a more well rounded understanding because I feel like I definitely knew New York music, but I guess I didn't really know like the deep cuts. Like I knew like Fabulous and Jay and Jimmy and you know, all the people that are popular, but I didn't know like that album cuts or that mixtape cuts like outside the dip set. Dipset was massive everywhere. Of course I know about that, maybe not like Purple City Bard Gang and all that tell them about that here, I've never heard of on Cosso yeah, you know this.
Speaker 1: You know the unconstant This is a this is a very specific block everything, the unconstant crayon box. Because they because he he would always say, yo, the drop top, the color blops, the biscuits.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They heard that, bro, google it legit.
Speaker 1: Legity like another thing that that bpe in New York had a comment.
Speaker 2: Was that DVD era. You know what I'm saying. We had Smack DVD, we had co K City, I had Stop Snitching.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, What are some of the differences and what are some of the similarities, because and you know what I mean, Like I know what it meant to New York I know what's Smack and City went to New York City and that like you know, talking about block era like dv DRA dv D era to me, like so you had people like I'll never forget people like Murder Move, battling party ARTI like front of some projects like Cya Castro, battling J Mills for justin.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: When when when you know Sean Combs was you know, not under federal investigation and.
Speaker 2: Ship like that.
Speaker 1: So with Stop Snitches, you have to mellow, by the way, because I do this mellow And he's a b more dude to the fullest.
Speaker 2: And he got in trouble because he was in he got hot water. It was politicians like calling for him. Yeah, yeah, it's crazy. He ain't even saying nothing.
Speaker 4: He was just sitting there laughing with the red T shirt.
Speaker 2: That ate x. Did you know one of those? Because I feel like what I'm saying, what's not red? Though not that color. I never had the color.
Speaker 6: What's like black and white on like the Baltimore version of the Snowman, like the Massive Long, the Long, the Dim franchise boys.
Speaker 4: So we had like so we had obviously everybody wore like four x three x whatever. That was like my middle school hustle because my I told you my stuff off Jamaican.
Speaker 2: He got his own shop and he got a wholesale license.
Speaker 4: So through him, I would go to the wholesale warehouse and I would get the T shirts and bulk and sell him off my porch.
Speaker 2: That was like that was one of my many hustles growing up.
Speaker 4: But we had a size called free size, which meant your T shirt went down.
Speaker 2: To your ankle.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to find pictures, but I couldnt find pictures.
Speaker 2: It was like three x four x five x.
Speaker 4: It might have won the six, but I feel like it capped at five and then after five it was free.
Speaker 2: It was called free size. You're like yo, where you get the free.
Speaker 4: Teas at I remember my cousin broke it out one day and it came out of.
Speaker 2: The house and it was literally like.
Speaker 4: A nightgown and you can see like this much of his jeans and then his shoes.
Speaker 2: And that was it. He was like that name for having that on. He came up the house looking like but tomorrow aftern Screwede. He came out holding a candle with a long.
Speaker 4: Ass like the Tall team, Like we didn't call him Tall Teams. I feel like that was more like maybe like a Texas thing that like kind of caught on that right right, we called I mean, ye, we call them white and black teams. But the free size was like that was some exclusive shit. That was like you on some different shit. If you can if even if like if you were the type of kid where your parents would even let you wear that, you were already cool because it's like most people's parents were like, come on, like he's already wearing four X that's already big where my sleeves in middle school was coming here like, but the freestyle was like you can do whatever you want, like you're like one of them kids, like you get to make your own decisions. So it wasn't just the look of the t was like the fact that you could even wear.
Speaker 2: Free.
Speaker 6: It's funny because like you was the hardest kid on your block for having that ship on it unless it was a hill and some wind and some wind.
Speaker 4: But it's just like, but no, the Stop Snitching, the stop Snitcher was crazy because the guy that made it his name, the Skinny Should. He actually I don't want to say you went to prison because of the DVD, but he did. You know, like his charges might not have been Stop Snitching DVD, but it made it hot. It made it hot. But he used to actually have a DVD series called the One Love DVDs and those were like battle when that was kind of like not popular in Baltimore. Like I wouldn't say until maybe like two thousand and eight was it cool to be a rapper from Baltimore, Like you were corny if you are a local rapper, Like I know, DC is the same.
Speaker 2: It's like they had Go Go.
Speaker 4: We had club music, so like on the radio it was club music and rap from other places. We might have had like two rappers that kind of blew up, Like I don't know if y'all remember be Rich. He was like big on like one on six and Park. He had a song called whoa now and it was actually in being live one year, but he wasn't that popular at home.
Speaker 2: It was weird.
Speaker 4: It was like at home it was like like we make club music, you know, Like it was like if you're a local rapper, you kind of like relegated to a very niche, underground group of people that.
Speaker 2: Love hip hop, like we love hip hop. That's why Los came. Los came out of King Loos came out of that scene kings that used to be yeah, yeah do that like jay Z but it was just like he's boring up exactly.
Speaker 4: But our DVDs were different because I feel like it was just it was like specialized for people that like loved hip hop, which I feel like wasn't everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's like local hip hop local and like the smack that's a difference, right because I feel like I feel.
Speaker 2: Like smack was smack was more.
Speaker 6: I don't know, man, That shit felt like gossip to me, like you know what I mean, Like it it felt it was it really had stop Stitch was stop Stitcher.
Speaker 2: Felt more like like yo, this is like.
Speaker 6: We're putting them, We're putting a microscope on, like what's really going on?
Speaker 2: But that like it's met a little bit of rap in it.
Speaker 4: Like people don't refer to Stops as a rap DVD, but it is a rap dvd.
Speaker 2: Freestyling, but it's not battling.
Speaker 4: It's like they've got Skinny Shug riding through the city talking about people pulling up the certain hoods and letting them like expose informants.
Speaker 2: To watch. It's YouTube, you can find it.
Speaker 4: It's two hours of him riding around the city just.
Speaker 2: He's on people. Like, yeah, most of it is some shipping on loose.
Speaker 4: To be honest, like if you really watch it, I don't know what they'd be for us. It was probably about like some rap bat or some shit. I have no idea, but like the vast majority of it was just him like a pov of like a person that lives in the streets of Bottomore.
Speaker 2: Like that was the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And to me, that's what Smack was for New York because I'll never forget bro. This is one of my favorite segments was Jada kiss and like, I'm not a youngest dude like Youkis is like a separate Yeah, you know, it's not even in like it's not part of the boroughs it's like, is.
Speaker 2: That considered New York City store.
Speaker 6: It's it's we well, I don't know. I don't know if you guys call it this, but I feel like we called it like the Lost Borough pretty much, the Lost Borough because it was good.
Speaker 2: It's far away in the.
Speaker 6: City, right, Yeah, it's far away enough that it's not in the city, but it's not. It's low enough that it's close to us, but it's not far away enough to be like Westchester County. Like when I say Westchester County, I don't think Yonkers Yonkers is its own.
Speaker 2: Is it though?
Speaker 4: Like is it like big strip It's like the strip of Central ab Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Always confused about it because I know, like they have pretty major people that come from it.
Speaker 1: At least Vernon and Yonkers together, like that area produced a.
Speaker 2: Lot of like a lot of heat, a lot of heat.
Speaker 1: And my favorite thing though, is like Smack DVD just sitting in the back of like a Lincoln navigated some ship and Jady Kiss is just sitting there rolling up a black He's just righting through the hood with the windows down and be like, yo, Jake, Yo, what up, y'all, j y'all, what's good baby, y'all.
Speaker 2: And he's tapping people up and then he's like yo, yo, hold on, yo, you're smitty, you'll smitty, Y'll go get the burner.
Speaker 1: And then she tring to come outside with a long ass the joker gun, bro, like the longest gun I haven't seen in my life, blah blah blah blah blay, just like shots.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, bro, what is I never saw that when I got into that one.
Speaker 1: And then there goes right into that into him like you know, I'm just making it clarsy and it HAPs eazy and it gives niggas.
Speaker 2: This black with the full clip y'all.
Speaker 1: Keep talking that bullshit U til you get popped out the bull with Yeah, I was like, whoa from like this short and guts and bars like in front of the boat digger though, like humped over like.
Speaker 2: He's in front of the digging with the y T shirt on, like the WASHERT.
Speaker 6: I remember the shirt, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, white shirt that nigga tell us, but I got it for cheap. All that ship, Oh my god that it was every store like literally.
Speaker 1: Yo, bro, there's like certain things that happened. Remember the skull T shirt at Juicy j Wood. That ship went crazy. I'm like, bro, this is a certain there's certain things that hit and it just yeah, like they.
Speaker 4: Shirt had a comeback like three years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was like born in two thousand and one.
Speaker 6: Did the snowman shirt get banned? In your in your middle? I'm sorry, how old are you?
Speaker 2: Thirty four? Okay? Because you could be twenty, you could be forty four or three.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You got one of those faces. I was probably like in eighth grade or.
Speaker 6: Ninth grade when I hit, but I don't remember it being in the band.
Speaker 2: I can't remember it being bad.
Speaker 5: They pulled up.
Speaker 4: They probably did, though, because I know they got in school like here with the shirt.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, all it took was the one teacher that knew well it was yeah, because like when I went to school, Bro was like old old white guy like, oh you got a it's not Christmas time. Yeah, that mster Collins come through. He's like, yo, that's about selling cocaine. Yeah, they wearing coke, They wearing we simply enough, Yeah, y'all are wearing shirt promoting cocaine youths.
Speaker 2: This is not a school that promotes drug use. We are a School of Education, not the streets.
Speaker 4: I feel like, if anything, they might have cracked down on the stop Snitcher shirts more than anything, because locally, like that ship.
Speaker 2: Was a big deal.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of people got in hot water because I want to say, two years before that DVD came out, a whole family had got fire bombed in their house because they called the police on a young guy that was like stashing drugs in the backyard, and they killed the whole family for that. So like that's why stop Stitching shit came out. I think that's why they got cracked down on so hard. That's why I called the metal thing was so like, you know, it was such a controversy because two years before a whole family was was killed.
Speaker 1: You frame it like that, if it's just because this is my thing, if it's like he's on my block, this is my block. I gotta be for you.
Speaker 2: I'll boom you exactly. It's like as opposed to like, oh ship, there was like four times.
Speaker 4: So that's why, like I feel like it became so politicized. Like a lot of people don't know this, and I got on my phone, I'll show you. But the police in Baltimore put out an answer to stop snitching, keep.
Speaker 2: Talking, keeping.
Speaker 4: Damn. And it's not for DVD left it's made like four minutes long.
Speaker 2: Why do cops do? Like I talked to the guy on the phone.
Speaker 4: Because I was trying to do like an oral history of stops mention. But it was just like it was too hard to pull all the pieces together. And I talked to the cop that's like the main character, and they keep talking and they keep talking. Second, I wish I sent it to y'all before this, so you shown be shown on the spaces.
Speaker 6: Yo.
Speaker 2: It's funny that it's funny that you would.
Speaker 6: Bring that that up, like your hypothetical principle because in the that was like, this is poisoning the youth because your hypothetical principle sounds like a kill. Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: He was like this is poisons standing out. I thought, fucking with that state Allen Yo. Black people from Stein Island. Yeah, Americans from stand Island. They do the knowledge, y'ah.
Speaker 4: It was not having it like everybody else was kind of like on the coming around to it, they could pick like one o Ja the Juice Man song a little entertaining.
Speaker 2: He was like he was like this he would leave like he was like, this is trash. He wouldn't take it.
Speaker 4: He was basically get angry, like you see physically he starts pacing back and forth.
Speaker 2: He was like, this is garbage. I can't believe. I listen when I get to that segment, I read it like Shariff.
Speaker 6: From He's sitting on the like I'm not gonna let y'all access this poison my mother.
Speaker 4: Crazy thing is this guy wasn't even like on his.
Speaker 2: Whole tep ship.
Speaker 4: He was just on his like I only like real hip hop with any of this type of at least he gotta be from New York like ship. It at least got to be French Montana like that was the furthest he could go. And I don't even think he liked him had the good wood. That was what I never felt victim to him.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I never, Oh god, yo, my poms looked at me.
Speaker 1: I was looking at that ship on Carbole and my papa just looked over my shoulder and was like, because he got the computer at the garbage. My mom was like, hvac take But he would just freeciate home for no fucking reason.
Speaker 2: Blul Bama computer. I was like, oh, we got a computer.
Speaker 1: Now I want to internet ship and I'm looking it up and he's just looking over my shoulder, like.
Speaker 2: My cuban is real.
Speaker 1: Walking with lumber around your next champ, Like that's not happening, you know what I mean, Like save up, bitch.
Speaker 2: Like so you know that's where I was at with it.
Speaker 3: So you you you ain't about to good with But I read in the book that you got a sixty K settlement.
Speaker 5: Right I'm at nineteen years old.
Speaker 3: What happened was unfortunate, but I it was all. I could not stop crying at the purchases that you bought, said you bought. You stopped eating that home, You started going to the cheesecake factory.
Speaker 5: You bought a two.
Speaker 2: Thousand Friday J. Dames checking postile.
Speaker 5: You bought two thousand and sixth grade to Ultimate.
Speaker 2: I bought the Ultimate.
Speaker 5: You bought every single fucking phone posit.
Speaker 2: Every phone positive ever existed.
Speaker 5: You said you got something like cringy ass tattoo.
Speaker 2: Still I did, I did? I did.
Speaker 4: I got the black Power fists on my chest. I got the faith, the faith and dedication, Wayne Funt. I got the lion on my shoulder. You got to get the line.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: My question is I would to know if you was nineteen right now, what would you spend that money on? If you had if you had to just three things, what would you spend that money on?
Speaker 4: Now right now it's way more dangerous because back then the standards were still low.
Speaker 2: Now everybody's fake rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had like a crazy chain like our pipes, would spend twenty k on the chain bust down easily. I definitely would have like ship that I don't even really wear it now, But like if I was nineteen right now, I probably have Hella Rico on strees and you know, like you know, like the nineteen year old ship, like I would need the y two k drip would be insane, right, everytoo all the ship probably have three purchases. Okay, I probably have a fake diamond of Kivian Link. Definitely I would have.
Speaker 2: I probably as a nineteen year old, I would probably buy Tesla. I'm not gonna lie. I wouldn't buy it right now as a thirty.
Speaker 4: Four year old informed human, but as nineteen I would have bought have used probably a rap cyber truck. No, not the cyber truck that probably be too much. But whatever the model line, whatever I would have that, I would probably have a wrapped in like army green.
Speaker 2: And third, that's tough.
Speaker 4: Phone is still going, y'all are still going, but they're not hitting, like I don't think young kid like my daughter thinks phone posits are trash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the new generation thinks they're discussing.
Speaker 2: They think they're trash. But she like those what do they call it?
Speaker 4: M m y Mason My it's a Japanese shirt that looked like a chunk Taylor, but they got like a.
Speaker 6: Squiggly uh that one or like the A six Like no, they're like converse.
Speaker 2: It's like Mason. I don't know how to pronounce the last I don't watch I said you you.
Speaker 4: No, no not, it's not no, it's not no no, it's not Mason Margiella. It's Mason. Word that him and then another last name of sauce of the why I'm not gonna commit the same because.
Speaker 2: I don't want to suck it up.
Speaker 6: But they like six hundred pop oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really five six hundred, so I should asked me.
Speaker 1: He's like, yo, Dad, He's like, I need shoes to hoop in. And I was like, okay, let's go on.
Speaker 2: That's easy, bro. We could get through for sixty hours. You need them because they're gonna get dirty, right you hooping bro on asphalt? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You Occasionally, Yeah, this mother figure is gonna showed me a stock X list thing for some Kobe grinches.
Speaker 2: I'm like, motherfucker, is I look elsewhere for shoes now? Like it's only goat in stock? Like yo, My daughter does this thing.
Speaker 4: She has a she has a running notes at man. She just send it to me. She's like, Dad, you don't have to get it right now, but if you can you get mychine card, my goat link, my whatever.
Speaker 2: She has like a list.
Speaker 4: So whenever I like, I'm up, She's like, Dad, can I can you get my lists?
Speaker 2: My financial I see, I just see you these. You know, I know you got some list you get?
Speaker 5: What would I get?
Speaker 3: I would if I was nineteen, I would buy brass knuckles.
Speaker 5: I would buy I would probably buy twelve thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Worth of al alcol some pills because I was obsessed with throwing them ships in the pool.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to do it. I'm telling you effective that you haven't seen setal water.
Speaker 2: You have thrown up like a little of course, what does it do?
Speaker 5: It just goes to the bottom and then the files.
Speaker 3: In the sixth I just wanted to be evil, and I wanted to find somebody who had a really nice pool that they paid a lot of money for.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to Yeah, I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: How you know we the same brand. That's why you're my dog.
Speaker 6: If I was nineteen right now and I got a sixty K settlement all at once, I would get a sat phone, some uranium, and a detonator using I was.
Speaker 2: Boring all my ship. I was up here going, I was in Soho shopping. I was taking the track. No, no, nineteen year old takes amtrak.
Speaker 5: Like you stopped going to the movie theaters, you started driving, Like, no, away.
Speaker 4: I stopped going to the local movie then going to Georgetown in DC because that's like, that's like fancy. Yeah, it's still an AMC. But to me, I'm like Georgetown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shot with poverty.
Speaker 2: I'm down Georgetown with a Yeah. The settlement.
Speaker 1: So the settlement we said as the settlement, but what was the settlement?
Speaker 2: How did you get that boat.
Speaker 4: So when I was seventeen, I think it was my last year of high school.
Speaker 2: I wrote about in the leak Bay essay.
Speaker 4: It was like deep into my lap Bay fandom, and I started finding friends that also like li Bay. He had a concert in Baltimore and we were went our way to the concert and we got into a crazy ctcident and I got hit in the face with an ad bag. By ad bag permanently damaged my retina. And your retina is like responsible for like processing light, I think or whatever. So whatever I is in the middle of my vision of my right eye have a black circle. Like if I close my eye, I can't see your face. I can see the top of your puffball, I can see the yeah, Like whatever is in the middle of my vision, I can't see like I can see like kind of up here. I can see my cup. I can see like the.
Speaker 2: Left half of Merrill's face. And that's it. So I got. I got goddamn wow. I would have I need Tracy Muggan money.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to brand I didn't know. If I was small, I probably would have won about it differently.
Speaker 1: Bro And God, you came out of the situation, Bro, twenty years old, I had black car, did not follow up with ship, ended up getting my medical bills paid.
Speaker 2: But not.
Speaker 1: But Bro, when y'all talking about like yo uranium and this that, I'm like, Bro, I would have bought like six thirty bags or some sour.
Speaker 4: I would have brought a whole block of vacant houses and man Marl Merrol would have bought ten bricks and started a record Lamber Marrow.
Speaker 2: Music Like that's it, Bro, and the only is me Yeah, yeah yeah, legitly, like.
Speaker 5: Legitly speaking about your daughter.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite chapters in your book is the Exchange, because it reminded me so much of me and my dad. Me and my dad had the exact same experience. You talk about how like you were raised the music. Obviously you come from that background, but now your daughter you always used to take those times and driving at school and showing her music, and now she's of age where she's like putting you on and y'all going back and forth. I would have loved to know that reminds me so much of my dad, and I would love to know how hard is it to stay as like yo. I'm a music critic but this shit is fucking trash, Like.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's kind of a critics job.
Speaker 5: But you see how like.
Speaker 3: Since we're so much older than them, it's like, yot, we gotta take it with a grain of sid of like yo, is this am I being a hater because I don't understand?
Speaker 5: Or is it just that I just don't enjoy the music?
Speaker 4: I think the different thing is now, like I was, I was maybe like two months into being twenty when my daughter was born, so like she's not that she's not that much younger than me, And I feel like the difference between now and then is we had like teen targeted and they don't. So we're pretty much absorbing the same things. And it's very uncomfortable as a parent, especially like once your kid gets some age and she's listening to like drill music and I've been listening to it too, But now I can't, like I can't be in.
Speaker 2: A call with her without being like, you know, this shit ain't right even though.
Speaker 4: I like it, I feel responsibility to be like, you know, like this is not positive music. You know, like I gotta give her to talk, but then she'll be like, but you listen to this type music. So now my relationship to the music is starting to have to change. But like I don't feel comfortable just like blindly co signing forms of music, like I'll critically engage, like I'll say.
Speaker 2: What I like, what I find harfer, But yeah, I mean she'd be putting.
Speaker 4: Me onto some stuff, especially like as I get older, the young like local rappers, I'm kind of falling out of like the no, like I'm not in the sphere of like I don't go to school with people who like, oh my cousin rabb or whatever, Like a lot of it trickles down to me. So like I learned about artists from her, and she listens to artists that I would just never listen to, like Mariah the Scientists or like she I know so much Mariada scientist music unwillingly because of my daughter. Like rod Wave, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the kids love right, I love him.
Speaker 4: He love but though he's emo, Like yeah, I understand like why the teenage Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like this he's like what kid cut you?
Speaker 2: What was to us?
Speaker 1: He's so emo it's crazy because it's like that like that turn right, because like so like I got four kids, bro, like three sons and my daughters. The youngest my oldest is fourteen, you know what I'm saying. So, like like you said, like, it's it's, it's it's a little different.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm way older than him.
Speaker 1: So he's put me on the ship, like and there's some overlap, like we both listen to the playbook Cardy and you say, we both fuck with it. But like, bro, like my youngest son, I'm like, bro, you're nine years old, and like we're driving to the football field and ship because he plays football, and I'm like he's like yo, damn, Like he's he's taking the Spotify ship. He's like yo, setting up, queuing up like four three four songs and it's like, bro, Dupe Deuce Kate Flock twenty two gens.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, it's twenty two.
Speaker 5: Jean's an actual refers Yeah, like you.
Speaker 2: I mean he kind of old drills. Yeah, like that's away from right, he from he from KNARSI. So you can probably you can have you have that that crazy guy like Chef g and all them, yeah, all that ship.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 1: Like so I'm like all right, bro, like I understand, why are you listening to this ship right now? In this woman because you're about to go try to knock a quarterbacks head off.
Speaker 2: But like, but you know not from that right right right, let me.
Speaker 1: Show you some pictures of me in eighteen eighty five. Yeah, like that's what they rapping about, you know what I'm saying. Like, but I'm like at eight thirty right before you go to bedchamp, Like that's not that's.
Speaker 2: Not doing to a young boy in dirt. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like a fight he does not like you can fight.
Speaker 2: That's just the music. It's just that's give you energy. Yeah, Like bro, this it's funny.
Speaker 6: Like you you mentioned like being around you know, different cultures, different people are not not being exposed to that until you came to New York. And I feel like it's affected the way I talk from hanging out with so many people as well, Like now like I'm from New York and from the Bronx obviously, but now I can't help but say energy like I'm from Detroit.
Speaker 1: Like so.
Speaker 2: I catch myself being like yeah that should give you energy.
Speaker 4: I'm like no Twitter, yeah yeah yeah like so so and this this is crazy, bro, because like talking about the Emo ship, like all my kids like are like Yo, Juice World, rod Wave Stan Like my daughter's like I'm like, yo, you're seven, Bro, you're listening to Juice World wrapping my name to press like.
Speaker 2: Your life is beautiful? Yeah, like you got a pool bitch, like.
Speaker 5: Like I have was killing every morning, bro, Like you wake up and.
Speaker 2: It's Sonny out, like you got on a school bus with your friends, Like what the fuck are you?
Speaker 1: Emo?
Speaker 6: I'm going I love that these cards serve more audio purposes, Like yeah, but I'm going the armost route with my kids cause they're five and seven, so I can't really listen to all that ship with them yet that was in a hardcore I don't listen to the Judge and Ship in the car put the New Age to all that. Yeah, yeah, but I'll be having them. But I feel like I'm going the opposite route. Like they'd be asking me to play G and X and Ship. They'd be like, yo, Dad, we're in that from the top. We know everywhere and it's the clean version, so they know everywhere to whack out murals. But like I've trained them to replace the N word with brother and not godrec being a back seat behind me, Like yeah, brother, going up your rank know you a god even when they say you ain't and I'm like, yes, God, yes, I can't feel the Coofie manifested on like it fucking ghost in the cell.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like dark, that's man like good and like, you know, like intellectual.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying in the background Illo, No, definitely, yeah, yeah, but it's kind of out of your control.
Speaker 2: I mean it's not.
Speaker 4: Maybe I sound like irresponsible parents saying that. Man, it's like it's in your control, but it's not their friends. Yeah, yeah, they're going to be listening to to all of that ship.
Speaker 6: I was, Yeah, that's but that's why I like, Okay, if we're gonna do this, like, let me at least find like, is there a clean version of this album?
Speaker 2: Right? But let me play that? You know what I'm saying, because like I'm not, I don't even doing that.
Speaker 4: I used to like turn it down when they say it used to mean my.
Speaker 2: Ship before I found the clean GNX just to watch that ship. Yeah, but that was like full five years ago. I didn't do that.
Speaker 6: Now, before I found the clean version of g n X, that wild ass Bar and Peekaboo, I hit it from the back I tell her move her hands.
Speaker 2: So literally that for the whole part, it's like I hit it on your top of ways to look back and they love that.
Speaker 6: Maybe asking the bus driver to play that ship redacted where they live, they'd be asking their lily what what travel to play pickable on the bus neighborhood dwelling children. That visual is incredible.
Speaker 5: You're raising them the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now my kids is like, yo play that, Yo play Rizza if that last you know, after if that last French tape that it is hard.
Speaker 3: Not be sure what he was saying. You don't gotta worry about it once you put them on. Once they get into that real world, bro, you're gonna let They're gonna, they're gonna they.
Speaker 2: They'll come back to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll run into it literally, gonna exist in their own world.
Speaker 5: And once they old enough, I'm like, ship right, let me go.
Speaker 2: Listen to some.
Speaker 4: It was me with like Gil Scott hern and fucking who else is by Bob Molly or fucking Gregory Isaacs, Yeah, all them?
Speaker 1: You know now we listening to the classics because you know what I'm saying, Uh, like like as so many show when I was thirty five and forty.
Speaker 2: Now we're the young old niggas out ye know what I'm saying. With elders, you know what I'm saying. But Yo, in the book that say time is very precious. You know what I'm saying. You get into conspiracy theories, you know what I'm saying, and how they got a lot of us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god in one of these broad.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: And it's been bad. But like since twenty nineteen it's been. It's just been down here.
Speaker 2: The pandemic it gave me. We didn't come out with the other side of That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: We don't enough too much time, too much clubhouse, too much clubhouse.
Speaker 5: So much washing your bags, yo, our minds?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? Like I'm spraying light on a pizza and like what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 2: Like this ship is crazy? So why are we so drawn to this ship? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's a question I asked myself all the time because I'm like, is it just like, Yo, I need answers, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, Like, I think it's that.
Speaker 4: I think it's like I never try to bash it because I understand what leads somebody into like the desire to be like I am not from slavery, because it's hurtful, Like nobody, nobody wants to identify as a victim. But I feel like there's other routes to take than to just be making shit up completely, Like I just don't think the answer to that is to be like the technology wasn'to a place in fourteen eighty where you could put people that many people on a wooden vessel, it would have I'm like it would have capsized like people were making canoes probably like in the year eight hundred or some shit, Like why you think that you couldn't fit.
Speaker 2: And it's also like a million people didn't come over.
Speaker 4: Thousands of people came over and they pro created, and millions of people came from those people. That's how we got millions of people. But I don't know, I just think like at the root of it, it just like we're traumatized. We're traumatized from being like at the bottom rung of society. I think people in any way they can want to distance themselves from like being victimized or being taken advantage of.
Speaker 2: But in my eyes, I feel like their.
Speaker 4: Strengthen knowing like were here, like it clearly survived. It was like, I don't know, that's just the way I find my strengthen. But but I understand how people get there. But I think it's getting to a place now where we're not only trying to find answers for ourselves, but we're like erasing other people's history in pursuit of getting to that place. And that's what I don't really I can't really rock with that. Because colonize the ship.
Speaker 2: Africans.
Speaker 6: It's also easier to deal with your circumstances if you sensationalize them, so like it's it's harder to it's harder to reconcile, like people are just evil, Like these white people did this stuff because they didn't see us as human because they are bad people. And like it's just that simple, you know what I mean, Like white people just happened to suck. Sometimes they were not created by Yaku.
Speaker 2: Challenge that because I did my own research. I did the knowledge.
Speaker 4: What's crazy is they have books like they have yeah yeaology.
Speaker 2: Tests with these niggas, Like it's where are you getting this.
Speaker 5: To?
Speaker 3: You know, I think the influence of like these conspiracy they also think it has a lot to do, like a lack of education, Like if you can't like if somebody tells you, Yo, this table right here is brown, and I'm like, Yo, actually, fuck you, the ship is green.
Speaker 5: Suck my ass. Obviously y'are gonna be like, yo, Shorty's fucking bubble.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but let's say and let me let me rephrase this.
Speaker 3: We can't understand sh if we can't understand sh Like if your mind literally cannot understand what somebody's explaining.
Speaker 5: To you, you're gonna be like, actually, no, that's not it.
Speaker 3: What if this is what happened instead, you know what I'm saying, Like, instead of it being like yo, we're just exploring different options, it's like, actually, no, this documented piece of history is actually not correct.
Speaker 5: You want to know why? Because I had a new strain of weed last night and I have a new idea.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're actually being too easy on them because I think they do understand. I just think that people are beings, Like I just think that's like a it's a personality too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like that. It's I feel like it's partially this and it's nowadays it's.
Speaker 1: Mostly that where it's just like the Internet, just dump gasoline accelerant on that whole.
Speaker 4: But the algorithm makes it scary though, because I think we at a place now in technology where your algorithm only feeds you shit that you agree with, yeah, and it puts you in a community of people also agree. So it's like, now when I come with some shit that I feel like is actually logical, it makes sense. It's like, well, I got thirteen homeboys that think exactly what I think. So your trip, your trip, Chrystopher Columbus, all black people in Missouri and fifteen eighty Yeah, yeah, he took the document that says yeah, and that's how.
Speaker 2: But that's how we end up back at like, bro, how I don't.
Speaker 6: Know how we got back to flat earth and race science when like Galileo figured that ship out eight thousand years ago with no computers and we have Google and he's still mo fuckers out here talking about we live under a dome like yeah, all right, bro, a man like you saith it's an edge and I'm ana fall off, okay, Bro, okay. And then they'll present you with some text and be like, yo, this is my text.
Speaker 2: That's the doctor HX. Yeah, doctor H. J. John Bicklbinder like wrote.
Speaker 4: This, like, Yo, I'm like, you know he was a slave master. Like you know, he wouldn't have fun, he wouldn't have fuck with you like crazy, they're crazy. But I'm like, he wouldn't fuck with you either, brot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Do y'all think like I mean, it's a conspiracy theory, but it feels believable that it's definitely some right wing grifter algorithm may work. Oh yeah, how sambling people's brain. Yeah, absolutely, to divide whatever racial people from each other. That doesn't feel like a conspiracy. Yeah, I was heavening, not.
Speaker 6: At all, but heav I have a I have a I have an answer for you that is wild conspiratorial. By the way, do not take me serious. I really do believe this though. I believe that one of these big tech companies years ago found the key and found the Ring of Solomon, which is the ring that King Solomon used to control demons. And I think, listen to me, I think that Apple is siphoning the magic out of that ring currently right.
Speaker 2: Now somewhere in calabas Look at the Hey, look at the chips in the phone. God, what do they look like?
Speaker 6: They look like prisons to trap demons. The smiling doll, Puzuzu, the smiling demon. Come on, brother, I'm trying to tell you I'm trying to put you all lot, you know. I mean, I'm trying to save my people gang. Look at the micro proper.
Speaker 1: They put honey in his bro y'all got to give my cup before him. Just been talking for like two hours, just.
Speaker 2: Me fading this. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we gotta fly in, we gotta fly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's time for.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it. Should I put it over the top, replace it? I like the time. It'll protect you from It's fine. So see mine, it's a conspiracy, but it don't feel like one.
Speaker 4: It's like a real life conspiracy. And we were all we're all old enough, so I want to know what y'all think. Okay, so we're all old enough to remember typical black neighborhood, neighborhood of color in the.
Speaker 2: Hood, run away.
Speaker 4: I know y'all might not have alley's there, but you're walking through an alley, walking through a yard. Most people had a pitt or road.
Speaker 2: Right. The Mike Vic thing happened. Stay, I feel like y'all probably already noticed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I know where you're going.
Speaker 4: They get some trouble, he gets crucified. Whatever what he did was wrong. I'm not supporting animal abuse. But somewhere I don't remember what year that was, what five six, by the turn of the new decade, twenty ten, when did white people start having pitballs?
Speaker 2: So much like? When did that stuff? Yea, only white people have pits now? Have y'all noticed that?
Speaker 4: And they look different. They colors like they have like they're like multi color now. They have rings around that, they have rings around their eyes.
Speaker 2: They also it was black brindle and white bro that said blue.
Speaker 4: So it's racist because it's starting to be this nature versus nurture thing.
Speaker 2: And I was walking out. I never forget this.
Speaker 4: It's probably twenty twelve and walking down the street in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: On my with my homeboy Chad.
Speaker 4: If you're watching Shout Out to Chad, were walking down North Avenue one day and it's a white guy, kind of like a crust pump type white guy. You know, they always got a pibow or the bandana around that that that's their whole ship. Battlest we're sitting the dude got a pit bull, it's not on a leash. My homeboy chat seeing and he jumped. He's like, oh ship, Like where did this pick come from? And the white dude started getting mad. They started giving us a lecture about like there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the pit bull. It's more about how the pit bull was raised in urban environments and made into a battle dog whatever.
Speaker 2: Like there was some peter.
Speaker 4: Something that some language that went around to non black neighborhoods where there was this concerted effort to change.
Speaker 2: The pr becas the pr behind.
Speaker 6: Piboles, to make it so yeah, black people were raising them wrong, and it's black people's fall.
Speaker 2: So now see what happens when you love on them nice.
Speaker 5: That's so they're so sweet.
Speaker 2: It's not to be afraid of. I raised it right.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's a conspiracy, but I actually get offended when I see.
Speaker 2: White people with pibulls, Like why I'm made angry?
Speaker 1: That ship is good Also because that whole theory that the crust pump dude told you is fucking bullshit. Google you could it's twenty thousand stories of pit bull bulls.
Speaker 2: Toddler down in the UK right, I mean they call them something different. What is it called the bull terriers? Is that not a pipo? Yeah, it's the same shit. It's just like a more muscular pitbulls. They just got to stop your own ship. Like they got like a thing in the UK right now.
Speaker 4: I don't know what, just the thing I always think about, like when I'm walking around because I live in the neighborhood right now and that's primarily white. But when I walk around the foot every four people has a pit bull bro that ship and they have long tails. Now, yeah, they don't got to think they don't got to clip then is not point no more than floppy.
Speaker 2: Their tongue is out like.
Speaker 1: Dangerous at the same time, like you look goofy, but dangerous because of my because because because what I know what the people will do.
Speaker 4: But to me, I know it's it's it's a racist pr campaign. Black people look like we treat animals wrong for sure. I don't know if that's spicy enough.
Speaker 2: No, that's on the platform such as this, Yeah, this is the outside world to engage.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you talk to your friends and it's like maybe we're all tripping, but I need to know the people's opinion.
Speaker 5: Like, Yo, I know what the he talking about. I know what he's saying.
Speaker 1: And to double down on that, bro, I think it's that when you're saying, like the racist, Oh yeah, I didn't raise him right.
Speaker 2: If we if the correct way, they're lovable dogs.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: Out of here, bro. I seem like much like you. I live in the neighborhood. That's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, I see a five foot tall white woman walking the cane corso like Demon Towns.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yo, street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, yo, that dog ain't nice. Don't try to tell me that that's a nice. Go because you raised them nice and you gave him a lot of hugs. That's bullshit.
Speaker 2: And I tripled down and say that. It's the blind side effect where it's just like yo, like, oh well, y'all had this thing and y'all don't know how what to do with it just needs to be in the correct invite. Yeah, loved and the same thing you're saying. You know what I'm saying, So goddamn it, he is not wrong, and we stand on that victory, like stands on that.
Speaker 1: Y'all got the campaign, the smear campaign against peoples must end, and I'm saying victory, like, yeah, bitch, your buddy can't rurner a human due rag flap list mellow teas.
Speaker 2: I'm not a super bitch in YC Radio.
Speaker 1: I did the yeah God, yeah, ye what I'm saying, real yeah, real, yeah ship, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, And of course the god Lawrence Burnie.
Speaker 1: Yes, you see if I hear on the table, no sensituition is out right, now, go get you a copy.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. If you don't, you dumb ass, because this is great literature.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, they are amazing, fucking.
Speaker 2: Get it, baby, they right there. Don't go nowhere of literedy like like like m hm m hm m m m m hmmm, of likeedy like like like like