Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sidelines.
Speaker 1: He is Hanging with the Boys, presented by Wingstuff where Flavor gets its wings.
Speaker 3: Now your hosts.
Speaker 1: Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon Gross.
Speaker 4: Thursday, You're looking alive at a frigid, cold crisp Tostitos Championship plaza outside Fort Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas, where it is a balmy twenty eight degrees the highest thirty two.
Speaker 5: Listen to this, folks in Frisco, Texas. Eleven degrees got down a four team last night. That's we're not built for this anyway. Welcome to the show. Welcome back Chris.
Speaker 3: By the way, he is Shnnon, That is Nate, This is Kurt. In the back is Chris Bean. Welcome back Chris. I am Salt and Pepper Poppy. Together we make hang it with the boys, the sports talk equivalent brow people. We got defensive line and they will when we speak.
Speaker 6: Brought to each it every day by Wing Stop Port, Flavor gets its We.
Speaker 2: We can fly like and you can get some of them defensive line where we showed them.
Speaker 6: That gonna be the motto. We're gonna have to hear this.
Speaker 7: They're pretty good.
Speaker 2: God, yes man, when you HEARDing baby, talk to me defense You.
Speaker 3: Got the well coaches. They talked to the coach the other day. They said, got explosive one right here in the house. Who is that, Maazi? They said explosive? They said, it gets off the ball.
Speaker 5: This is a question for you. We had a chance, that's what they said. We've had a chance.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Is this the perfect opportunity to change the.
Speaker 5: Narrative about whatever you want to change the narrative about and speak truth in this building like you you've got?
Speaker 3: You got what truth? Though?
Speaker 6: That's what I'm asking there.
Speaker 3: There are multiple levels of truth, That's what I'm asking right, it's our truth, fast in the truth. But I do believe in the truth because truth, it's your truth, it's my truth, is their truth?
Speaker 6: I agree? But is there some truth to that? Since this is the second.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got the truth? The truth had there? You go there, you go re searching for the truth.
Speaker 5: They just pulled a beads got truth right red across his forehead, So.
Speaker 6: Are we starting off?
Speaker 5: I've heard a lot about everybody likes this coaching staff.
Speaker 6: Whoever's truth? You want to listen to.
Speaker 5: Everybody likes who Schottenheimer's bringing in some good quality hires. You know, the players seem to like the guys they're bringing in, bringing a lot of guys from college.
Speaker 3: Are we are.
Speaker 5: We starting to already have some of the same narratives that were rammed down our throat with the old administration.
Speaker 6: You've got a chance to break.
Speaker 5: Do your own thing right, do your own thing, create your own narratives.
Speaker 6: Take a wait and see the approach. Less guys are.
Speaker 5: Gonna earn their job. We're gonna we're gonna reevaluate. But we're starting off. To me, we're kind of starting off with, yeah, we got we we got the guys, do we We've heard that.
Speaker 6: Fifteen years.
Speaker 5: We've heard we got the guys, and then we get the guys, and then do we really have the guys? So, like, how do y'all feel about the way all this is because a lot has happened over the last week, week and a half.
Speaker 6: How do y'all feel about how it's I.
Speaker 7: Think a lot of that is just coach speak. I mean, they can't come out and say, man, our guy suck. Why can't you because they've got to be they've got to want. They need these guys to do.
Speaker 3: They didn't get their jobs that way.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, the job that way in being honest and being seeing what they see on film.
Speaker 3: Then if they hired them, then they could say that. But they didn't hire them.
Speaker 5: Right, So were we worried that we're starting off being a mouthpiece for the organization already and the players are starting to get comfortable before we've even stepped on the field because we got we got some good players, we got some guys. Why not just come in and go, look, this is the way this is. We're gonna look at everybody. This is competition. Best man up like we we're gonna reevaluate and trend.
Speaker 6: Don't let anybody get comfortable. We've been comfortable for twenty nine years around here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's why not come in and you know what I get it, he's a he's a player's coach. Like he doesn't he's probably not gonna want to rock the boat. And that's that's I think that's a If that's his way, that's his way, But why not come in and just put everybody on notice and be like, hold up.
Speaker 7: Hopefully they are maybe behind the scenes publicly, I don't think, you know.
Speaker 6: Do it publicly.
Speaker 7: Two thirds of those guys, they're gonna have to follow them. You have to follow them, they have to coach. So I don't think they're gonna come in.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just you know, I just don't want. I just don't I guess I'm tired of being comfortable. I'm tired of everything's gonna be okay, We're good, We're good. I just want somebody to be like, hey, we'll see I don't know if we're good or not.
Speaker 6: We're gonna find out. We're gonna find out who wants to be here, who doesn't want to be here, and go through it. That's just me. How do you guys feel?
Speaker 3: I think, to Kurt's point, we're seeing from from Schottenheimer and from his coaching staff a lot of what the Jones is. Mister Jones and Stephen Jones sold us on in the press conference. They talked about Brian Schottenheimer being someone when it came to words, to saying words, to being able to galvanize a room with his words. That's what they sold us on. You see that the way the coaches are speaking, they're trying to have this positive influence for all the guys you know in this locker room. To your point, I agree with you. I think that there needs to be a level of uncomfortability. There shouldn't be many guys on this roster that should feel comfortable with their job security. There should be guys on this roster who come in here and have to know that a fight will have to be put up for your playing time. That you shouldn't be able to just waltz in here and be high on the hog because your coaches are just speaking that way. This little drought, this thirty year drought, this sevententeen that what it was last year. The boat needs to be rocked. There needs to be there needs to be a shift. There needs to be that. Unfortunately, when you start talking about the type of people who can do that, one are those who have the skins on the wall on the NFL's level. Because all of these guys are really coming in here and you hear the college guys, a lot of college guys coming here, and the words that I'm hearing a lot is hey they develop, Hey they develop. These guys are they can develop, But they're not coming in here with the big skins on the wall as an NFL success story. So they're looking at guys in the locker room with not much NFL success trying to tell those other guys in the NFL locker who don't have much success. And now we both can't be looking at each other what not much success in the league that we're both trying to dominate it. So I do agree that we're hearing a lot of coach speak. I do agree that there needs to be a shift in the way that we approach this thing. There needs to be a more strict, more fine line more I don't want to say walking on eggshells, but when I called Date a couple of months ago and I asked him about Jimmy Johnson and how did that feel when Jimmy Johnson became the head coach of his football team, it needs to be a level of that. It needs to be a level of healthy fear. There needs to be a level of healthy fear that at any moment, my job can be gone because these guys didn't draft me, these guys didn't sign me. These guys weren't or you know, were or or or don't have any ties to me. There needs to be that level of healthy fear, and I think you can get that through public, Through the public, through the public language that you speak in the media. You can make people feel a healthy fear, and that I think is what may be necessary. The country club life is going to get you seven to ten again, gonna get you nine to eight. It's gonna get you, you know, eight and nine, the country club lifestyle, the you know kumba y'all, and everyone's you know this is this isn't an equal opportunity employer. That's not what football is. Everywhere every Jimmy said it a long time ago. Everybody gets treated fair, but everybody going to get treated the same, and there needs to be that level of here's how we're moving forward.
Speaker 7: This kind of he drops, you know, he said, obviously, the better players you have, the better they are, better you are or and this is a player's game, so the talent does matter. So he I felt like he dropped a couple of hymns that maybe they don't have who they want. But again, I don't think any of these guys are gonna come out and say, you know, and I don't know what ad Jimmy do. Did he talk publicly or you come in the first meeting say everybody's better be on their toes.
Speaker 2: No, it was a way different era of we coach can coach have to be firm and who he is. That's why you heard me say early when we first talked started talking about coach Schattenheimer is.
Speaker 3: I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 2: But when somebody get out of line or things don't go right, let's see what you do.
Speaker 3: Let's see how you respond.
Speaker 2: Do we have to well, we're gonna keep it in house and nothing ever get done or this guy has already, this has already been taken care of and you can visibly see it.
Speaker 3: So I just I just want to see what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to a lot of people, like Jesse, having all of you guys, all of us talking to a lot of people, and and I can't say I know this for sure. So now everybody's waiting to see mode. You want eggshells, you want hey, you gotta be more political, you know, and just in the middle. And so I'm nowhere, bro, I'm just like, what is going to happen?
Speaker 7: I should say that. I don't necessarily think that I'm with you. I would like to see some I don't think they're going to say that publicly.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they're not.
Speaker 2: The thing is, it's been a long time since we us talking heads have been in a position where we just can't throw any daggers. I mean what, we haven't even say what's a good record because we don't know what the players are. You've got twenty six free agents, so we can't say, well, hey, if they go seven wins, we can't even.
Speaker 3: Move forward because we don't know what to move forward with. What.
Speaker 2: You know, they just a bunch of They just like us, be honest with you. They just a bunch of guys right now.
Speaker 3: I don't know them.
Speaker 2: Jesse probably got a better end road than all of us, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: And I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't want them to public shame anybody or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I just public shaming works.
Speaker 6: You want that, I know you do public works.
Speaker 3: I just mean that public flogging can get you. I just want to.
Speaker 5: I just want them to say, you know, we don't know what we have, you know, we we know what's in the past, but we're moving forward and we're going to evaluate everybody at like, you know, like a new player, and the best guys are gonna be on the field because I don't think around here that's always been and maybe it won't. Maybe it can't be that way around here, the way this thing structured. Maybe you you can't put your best guys.
Speaker 6: On the field for you know, off the field reasons.
Speaker 3: I don't want people to get misconstrued. What when you hear because we we we throw this term around a lot and you hear, you know, a player's coach, right, We we throw that term around loosely. Yes, and and a lot of time I think you we we misinterpret what a true players coach is. And it's not. It's not a coach who is looking to it's not a coach that's looking to buddy buddy with the players.
Speaker 6: He's not soft.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not that, it's not it's not a guy that's looking to be like friendly. It's not a guy who's looking to have these you know.
Speaker 7: Go to duke basketball games with your go to.
Speaker 3: Do exactly to go to do basketball games like like that's not that's that. That's not the thing. Yeah, that's that's not that. That's and by the way, that didn't go over well in the locker room. Just want to let people know that that wasn't well received by the others in the locker room, and that's something like that happened. But a player's coach is a guy that players in the locker room highly respect. That they highly respect, that they police themselves because there is that healthy boundary layden fear of that coach. But I know if I need something that he will be a person that stands alongside of me in it. But he's also a person who is not going to take andy bull and will have you wearing three shoes, two on your feet and one of your because that's how he's gonna get down. And and that that there's a there's a there's a very very because when you hear player coaches and you know and I people saying, oh, wait, way was a players call? Wait? People abuse that no matter how you address it, how you dress it up. The softer kinder meeker want to build friendships and all that kind of stuff. Type coach players men abuse it. They abuse the women in that way. If you have. If you have a woman who is meek and let you get away with anything and don't put boundaries on things. You're just it's in our nature. It's in our nature. We'll just keep doing it. If you let me do this and you say nothing about it, keep doing it over and over and over and over again. So when you hear players coach like the the the notion that that is something that will get the guys to know they abuse.
Speaker 2: A perfect example, Kareem Hunt, running back of Kansas City several years ago, was on the up.
Speaker 3: He lied to Coach Reed. Coach Reed cut him on the spot.
Speaker 2: Several years later, Coach Reed codes back and get this guy. And you ought to just hear the gushing admiration this kid had. I'm saying that that that's a players coach, because when Jimmy come to you and say, hey, man, tell me what happened. We on your side. Please tell me what happened. And if you lie to him, you were gone.
Speaker 3: On which you yest. That's good stuff.
Speaker 6: Would you say Jimmy was a players coach?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you can't get a man hated him to death, love him to death. He let me tell you about great people, great players, great coaches. They are very, very selfish. But one thing they do have is they know they it takes others to get them to where they want.
Speaker 3: To go, and that's greatness.
Speaker 2: Why would Tom Brady call Belichick? They didn't have a nice ending, but why would he call him just to fill him out, just to see what was going?
Speaker 3: Why? Evidently was something there players. That's good stuff. Boy, that's some good stuff though.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take our first break when we come back. A lot of talk about the salary cap the last few days.
Speaker 3: I gotta leave.
Speaker 6: We'll save that for the end. Wait, we'll wait till the final segment. Nate can leave.
Speaker 3: It's got to be the biggest fantasy in the world.
Speaker 6: Okay, We'll talk about defensive line when we come back. I'm hanging with the boys.
Speaker 9: House Wingstop Sound, Christy, Juicy classic Wings, saucety tossed that those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese or signature Wingstop wretch.
Speaker 3: I think you've heard enough. Get your labor delivered at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 2: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and wings Stop is here to bring the flavor to game date as the official Wings of the Dallas Cowboys. Order now by download the Wings Stop out or ordering online at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 10: Hey, Cowboys fans are twenty twenty four Football season is here and seed gig is here to help you experience.
Speaker 3: All the action.
Speaker 10: Seed Gig makes it easier to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season.
Speaker 3: Whether you're buying or.
Speaker 10: Selling tickets a Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seed gig is the place to do it. Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea in ticketing a ticket that works.
Speaker 3: Expect the expected.
Speaker 8: Seed geek cow about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate. Thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets. They sure make game day special. And for every purchase of the new Tyson Cowboys Nuggets this holiday season, Tyson Foods will donate one dollar to the Salvation Army up to one hundred thousand dollars as you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been tyson.
Speaker 10: We got big personalities, we got big hair, big bell buckles. We got fans all across as big state, and enemies in every other one. We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smear enough, Nos, Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 3: Home are away.
Speaker 10: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all we got big love for them boys. Smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 3: Back to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the second segment of Hanging with the Boys. Jesse Holly, Kurt.
Speaker 6: Daniels, Nate Newton, I'm shinning gross in every show.
Speaker 5: The second segment is sponsored by blockchain dot cham. Thank you blockchain dot Com. Kurt Yay, swing by seven to eleven. Right down the street, go to Pump eight. Fill up your tank, need something hot, grab your favorite item they have hot stuff.
Speaker 6: Hot glizz over your mouth from the roller grill, and then enjoy a.
Speaker 3: Big gulp Big Golf.
Speaker 5: Some eighty nine cents valid of participating stores. Fill up with Jesse Holly at Pump eight and get game day ready even though it's the off season. Stay game day ready, all right, good stuff that first segment about the coaching staff. We'll save the salary cap fantasy football talk for later so they can just glide on out of uh, glide on out of here, your guy Dez. Jesse had some comments to say on social media the last week, and this is something that you alluded to probably before last season even started.
Speaker 6: Des agrees with you.
Speaker 5: He thinks the Cowboys are rebuilding and he says it sucks. So how do we feel about, you know, the moves they made last year.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be very interesting. I think we'll know here. What a couple couple of weeks, two weeks, three weeks.
Speaker 3: When free agency saw March twelfth, and you see like one of the Jerry Jones family going their spring break vacation, family vacation. It's March tenth, so right, and they're gonna they have their annual. They have their annual. Why would you kill the segment they have their annual?
Speaker 6: Would you just get us all to be real quiet.
Speaker 3: What would you just kill? Don't they have their annual their annuals.
Speaker 5: I don't get in their personal business, Jesse. I just you know when I see it on social media, public.
Speaker 6: Social media will know about it. I don't know. I don't have access to their calendar.
Speaker 3: Just crushed, sick icht, I want to get on the yacht.
Speaker 6: What do you think their intentions will be in free agency?
Speaker 5: Do you think they're clearing out roster space and this is like a two year plan to get money and then go hard at it after this year, or do you think they're going to because you said earlier, was it twenty six free agents?
Speaker 3: Someone some worm shape of fashion.
Speaker 5: And it looks like you're already not gonna be able to keep osa right.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're gonna just getting more and more expensive the day. As the days go along, you're getting more and more.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad they get more expensive.
Speaker 5: Players must all good players must just love being free agents here because you get the brand behind you, you get TV time, and you know they're gonna they're gonna wait till the end of your contract to do anything with it, so you're gonna get maximum dollars out of it whether you stay here or go somewhere. It must just be like novel, let it ride. I hope I don't get hurt, just get to the end of the same. But what do you guys think as far as free agency? Do you do you look for a massive, just brand new looking roster or do you think they'll you know, they talk about keeping their own right. Do you think they'll be aggressive and try to keep the guys here or do you think they're gonna clean out money and try to start somewhat as Dad says, rebuild and start for.
Speaker 6: It because you've already kind of did it last year, right, you let us some big contracts go. What do you think is gonna happen this year?
Speaker 3: My personal opinion, and it ties back into the type of coaches that they have brought on. They brought in all of these coaches, and again we keep hearing the same thing, develop, develop, develop, Develop. The difference between the NFL and NCAA is you have time, You got guys, have red shirt years. You got guys who are there doing winter workouts, spring ball. They never leave, They never leave, right like, you always have access to these guys to develop. It's not like when you guys know it's busy here. One day that season ends, ghost Town. You don't see it. You know, next time you might see it. Joke, it gonna be on social media. He gonna be two shades in a way. And so the coaching staff and what they're good at leads me to believe that they're going back or staying with their mo draft develop, draft, develop, and so in this process they're in that rebuilding stage because when they when they had money, when the Dak was on his rookie deal, they didn't spend money in free agency. They have they have long been one of the least spending teams and the numbers document that spending in free agency. So unless the thirty years drought is all of a sudden coming to an end, this is a part of their rebuild.
Speaker 5: Do they do it a good enough job at because that's their that's what they do. They they draft, they develop, and when the price gets to how they let.
Speaker 6: Them go, they they don't. They don't keep gouy unless.
Speaker 5: It's a superstar, a Dak or a Mic or you know, a skilled, high high skill position player. Right, do you think they do a good enough job? Obviously the results aren't there. But from a player development standpoint, are they doing a good enough job keeping that pipeline going to where that's a good business model or should they develop them and then when they get when the price gets too high, should they be paying some of these guys and not let them go.
Speaker 7: To me.
Speaker 3: It's it's you you will McLay and his drafting, his scouts and is drafting they for the time that he's been here, relatively speaking, they've been really good at it.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: They they your favorite players that you enjoy watching and have Buck jerseys and have posters on the walls and come to see play every Sunday. Has grown. Yeah, it's when you miss, and they've missed in the last two years, which is set back the process because the process you want to have is you want to be able to draft these guys, develop these guys, and now they be so good that I don't the pieces that I bring in don't have to be these great pieces, right, I can go and get these smaller pieces to go with the pieces that we've developed, homegrown, developed, and now we're able to go out there and put twelve and five seasons, thirteen, three seasons and fourteen whatever that number is. But when you miss, especially in your first three rounds, it sets you back significantly because those guys, first round guys, they gotta have I media impact. If you're a first round guy, you have to have a high percentage of being an immediate impact player. Second round guy, same thing, third round guy. We're looking for you to look, we're looking for you to be in the mix of this thing. Now. Anything that I get in the fourth, fifth, sixth round free agent, excuse me, undrafted, are those are helping pieces if they hit, bonus if they don't hit. Not actually looking from the hit right now, those are the developed guys that we're looking at. But when we don't hit in the first three rounds two years in a row, you set your franchise back. Now because you're saying, we have so many holes now coming into this year. Mazi didn't hit where you have a hole at defensive line. For what it looks like today, Tyler Guiden didn't hit, you have another hole in the offensive line, right your your maris little foul was okay. Uh the marion he got, he got, he got hurt. So created more holes. So Schoolmaker didn't hit, Kneeland got hurt. Sam Williams a couple of years ago got hurt. So now all the guys that you've needed to be impact players for your draft development and then get the swallow pieces to come in haven't hit. So that's at you so far back to now you have found yourself in a place three years later of we got to reach. I have to get a guy that hits. Now I have to now pay a cost to a guy like Osa. And I said to some of my other shows about a guy like Osa is. Osa's value has become a product of the system. Oh say the twenty million dollar play, y'all, Like, I'm not. I don't want to Osa. I want you to get all the moneys. You could possibly get all of it, all of it, all of it. But Osa is not a He's not he's not a ninety million dollar football player. But he'll get that. He'll get that because of the way that the Cowboys did their situation and not having guys hit. If Bozzie hits, If Bozzie hits, Osa is a foegone conclusion. If Mozzie who they thought Mozzie was supposed to be, they say, oh, so we I got I got fifteen million dollars for you. I got two years fifteen million. Do I got twenty million dollars for you for three years, and now you become a piece of it. But because Mazzi didn't hit, and it looked so bad, and the others around him didn't hit, and it looks so bad, and he stood out. Now you look around and it's not a big market. It's it's not a bunch of free agent defensive interior defensive lineman right now. The value goes up supply and demand.
Speaker 5: So it's a good business model as long as you don't have injuries and you don't miss, and you don't miss, which which everybody misses and everybody, but when you missed.
Speaker 3: Two years in the like right, listen, they drafted Tyron Smith, they drafted Zach Martin, they drafted Frederick's Zeke dak CD CD Mikah, Like there were teams that they had that was purely draft based players, Like the stars of the team were god that were drafted and developed and they hit over and over and over. You're like, you look up, You're like, damn, it's a good football team. You look at that. Twenty fourteen, twenty fourteen, twenty sixteen type teams. Those teams were damn good teams.
Speaker 6: Well they didn't. They didn't really miss a first rounder. They were hitting for till what last uh two years?
Speaker 7: Yeah, talker Charlton, right.
Speaker 3: It will never be. They never missed on offensive ever. They were hitting. They were hitting, and when you hit the way they were hitting, those gods will turn it in the Pro bowlers.
Speaker 5: So do you just nate if you're them and you're like, we're really really good at this, we're not so great at drafting. In the first few rounds. You can't stop those guys from Michigan. So let's don't ever take a guy from Michigan. Let's just draft first round live.
Speaker 3: Lewis is a good Yuy, you still got to do your homework.
Speaker 6: I love George not in that mix.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm that guy, the best guy regardless of you know, I don't want nothing to do with Michigan.
Speaker 3: But if that guy is the man Mason Graham Michigan player, we will well, he will be there if he gets there at twelve, whoa, you know, so it might be a gas mask situation. I even think still, I still believe if he has a gas mask on he ain't making it to.
Speaker 5: Twelve, But would you, like, is that a valid question if you're really that good at hitting on offensive lineman and trading back and knowing like I can do this and you need like it's what is that not a bad business model? Like, hey, we know we're gonna nail this. Or do you always still just say it's best player? I mean, everybody's gonna say best player.
Speaker 7: You felt last year off it's you probably reached out for him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you reached right the other ones you didn't really reach for. Well, I guess.
Speaker 3: I don't get you had about you had a battle for uh for Zack Martin. You had a battle. Yeah, boss was going with Johnny Manziel. Yeah, Boss was getting Boss said give me Johnny Manzel. They said, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa? Do you not hear Coach said about behind clothes. Let's go get something a little bit more confident we can we can rely on. And it worked out right because Zach Martin gave you, I mean ten nine ten years, great years.
Speaker 5: That pick was we we did mean tweets that year and that was probably the most real relatable tweet I'd ever heard you know, we've got the guys to read the players, I mean the players to read the tweets, and it was I really liked the Zach Martin pick, but it's like one of Xbox one for Christmas and getting a pair of socks.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, let's take our last break. We will talk about is the salary cap even real? And is there anybody on this team that you guys would franchise if you were running the organization, And maybe a couple of other.
Speaker 6: Things if we can get to them. When we come back for the final segment of this week's Hanging with the Boys, bear back.
Speaker 9: How's wing Stop sound crispy juicy, classic wings, sausty toss that those a letting, soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature Wingstop wretch.
Speaker 3: I think you've heard enough. Get your labor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 2: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game day as the official Wings of.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Order now by download the wings Stop out or ordered online at Wingstop dot com Hey Cowboy fans.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott kits slid for the first down.
Speaker 11: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 3: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 11: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores.
Speaker 3: Produce or Deli Section. Grab some today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboys fans, a twenty twenty four football season is here, and seed Gig is here to help you experience.
Speaker 3: All the action. Seed Gig makes it easy.
Speaker 10: To find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season.
Speaker 3: Whether you're buying or.
Speaker 10: Selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, set Gig.
Speaker 3: Is the place to do it.
Speaker 10: Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Just this repertive idea and ticketing a ticket that works. Expect do you expected?
Speaker 3: Sid Geek? Hanging with the Boys?
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the final segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought you each and every day by Jigsaw, the proud dating partner of the Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 12: Yes, saw Baby, Jig, saw hight Nate. We met mentioned salary cap and you almost today he is. We just mentioned salary cap and you almost took the head bones off.
Speaker 6: And walked out.
Speaker 5: Why why what do you have? Why are you so angry at the salary cap?
Speaker 2: Because for the last seven eight years we've we've talked about Sarah cap, Sarah cap, and it didn't benefit us. And we had decent players and it didn't benefit us. Okay, now we spend to talk sary Cap, sary Cap and the player and the players, we don't have the same quality of players.
Speaker 3: What good is it gonna do us?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when we when we had a chance to get it, to get guys in free agency to help us get over the top, mainly that Green Bay year when we flopped, we could have went out and found us somebody defensively that could have could have brought some pressure or something.
Speaker 7: It's time they Yeah, you talked about draft developed earlier. I mean it's time they need to. I mean, all these teams are making runs. They've you know, free agents. You know, maybe it's time to use some free.
Speaker 2: Agency and people keep you know, you listen to folks you know around here, the cap ologies not that people over there in mister Jones office from about our media can just tell you this, this, this, this this, and feed D fans all of this, this, this, this, this this, well, just four or five years ago, three four years ago to Rams, they said the RAMS is gonna be in cap Hill. But the SCD to me, that was in the second round, the second round of the playoffs. It was in the second round of the playoffs. He's how many Eagles was goin to fall off because they had what it was gonna be in Caphill. They won the Super Bowl in cap Hill.
Speaker 3: I can't get that. I can't buy it. Not I'm a fan.
Speaker 2: I buy season tickets, so I can't buy it. I'm buying season tickets. I want to know getting cap hell so my wife.
Speaker 6: Can be happy.
Speaker 3: Sounded like a woman, right, get it? Make me?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So there, So there, there's gonna be a bump in the salary cap somewhere between what is it, kurt two hundred and seventy seven to two hundred and eighty one million somewhere in there.
Speaker 7: In two hundred and fifty five passed.
Speaker 3: It's about a twenty something million dollar bump.
Speaker 5: Which it goes up what every year, every couple of years, every year the TV money.
Speaker 3: Last year it went up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is a bigger bump than ever.
Speaker 3: Than it normally is. So somewhere around like fifty six million. Over the last two years, the salary cap has raised two years fifty six million.
Speaker 6: So is it a real Is it a real number?
Speaker 5: Because like Nate said, you keep hearing their in cap hell. But they everybody keeps finding creative ways to push the money back, and you just keep pushing it, pushing it. We talked about that on the last show. And as the pie grows, the salaries grow, so it eats up the extra money because they can spend more on guys, and then then it brings the market up. So you're really just chasing. It's like inflation, right, You're just it's.
Speaker 3: The credit card. Yeah, it's the credit card.
Speaker 6: You make more money, but the eggs cost more.
Speaker 5: But right, you know, and then it just you know, you're not really there's really no extra money there.
Speaker 3: But the the ingenious way or the the way that people are trying to look like the Philadelphia is the best example right now. It's the best example. The first thing the Cowboys when you're talking about salary cap money is you got to stop doing what you're doing now, meaning you let Osa get to the end of his deal. Let everybody get to the end of their deal. Right Osa, two years ago, if this was a player that you looked at, it said Osi a Diggiezua, I like you, I won't you No, I like you Geld It.
Speaker 6: Got even for half half right.
Speaker 3: But what you've done now is I created the market. I now have control over this player at a reasonable price that I can push further along if I like to, right, And now I can go and use that other money to bring in other players. But you let these guys get to the end of their deal and like Osa for example, who this isn't I don't like when I say it. I don't want to come up like I'm sounding like I'm shading Osa. But you let them get to an end of the deal and have a good year. And now you're facing the market now when you didn't have to face the market two years ago. If this was the guy that you were going to bring and anticipation that the market is the salary cat will go up after about it. Last year he thought it was going to go up ten million. It went up sixteen million or whatever it is. So it's football is not dying, fellas. This is not a dying sport. This is not basketball, This ain't baseball, this ain't hockey. This is the most profitable sport in all of sports. It keeps growing. The TV deals, the marketing deals, it just keeps rising. It is the It is when you go. When you look at the TV ratings and now football is everywhere. You got a hard time finding football. It's it's on nineteen networks. It's on nineteen networks. You gotta have twenty seven thousand streaming services to see football. Last year, football was played on every single day except Tuesday. Coming soon, it was played on every single day of the week except Tuesday or Wednesday, one of the two. But it was played on every single day. They got it on Amazon, they got an own Prime, they got an own Hulu, they got it on YouTube. That is everywhere. The numbers ain't going down. When you're going, you back and you watch how football is being watched. They did the top one hundred viewing things on TV ninety seven of them was football. Ninety seven of them were football. The top three were football, top ten were football. I think it was like the Grammys and something else. Of the top one hundred viewed things on foot on TV ninety seven or football games. The money will be there. They have to be willing to buck what they are comfortable doing.
Speaker 7: This is.
Speaker 3: This is at times why people ask for a new GM because when you don't, you ever have the seat being hot. Jerry's I don't care what people say. I don't care what people say. That seat ain't never hot. I don't give a damn what people say. I don't care what the fans see. They't hot. The only the only person that he's fighting against with that seat is Hiven father time. That's it.
Speaker 9: That set.
Speaker 3: It ain't hot. So I don't have to move in such a way. You move, you move in these certain ways, you get super duper creative, You get super duper innovative and and and sometimes desperate warriors when you get in the hot seat, when you're when your back's against the wall, when you have to perform because you know that your job may be up if you don't. Why do I? Why do I have to change my ways?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: As the young people say, who checking me? Boo? Who checking me? Nobody's checking me? And when we start talking about you're starting to see now teams starting to sell portions of their of their franchise to get some liquid cash to make these particular moves, because they're saying, if we pay, if we pay the bill up front, we get the product. We'll make the money on the back end in merchandise and ticket sales and parking and all that kind of stuff. The problem is Jerry's saying, I already won. I already win that already what you're trying to do, I'm already want. I'm already the best selling in merchandise. I'm already the best selling in concessions. Set out the Legends concessions. I'm already the best in attendance every single year. I have one hundred thousand seeds on My parking is probably the best because I have one of the biggest stadiums Watch Change, So that's the money's there to do these things. It's there. You have to be willing and wanting to do it to be competitive.
Speaker 6: Nate, would you franchise anybody on this year?
Speaker 3: No, sir, No, nobody's good enough.
Speaker 5: Just had a good stat that he told us in the break eight eight players last year were franchise league wide.
Speaker 6: Is there anybody you guys franchise here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not not worth paying that price.
Speaker 6: No top five money, All right, Kurt? Anything else you want to hear before we get out of here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess the old Brian really apology thought our first segment was horrible?
Speaker 3: Brian? Yeah, who is Brian? Exactly? What talk about called me as we love your brother.
Speaker 6: I guess we talked to thanks for watching too much. We got your See what happens when we finally talked football. No one wants to hear no one wants to hear us talking about football.
Speaker 3: I'm reading the book. I'm reading the new book. I said to my Yeah, I'm reading. I'm reading books twenty twenty five. Okay, what you're reading? The first book I'm reading it's called Four Agreements. Okay, and so that's my first book of twenty twenty about the four agreements. It's it's it's reprogram in your mind and freeing yourself up of the old agreements that you've made in your life with these four new agreements. Uh, that you would and uh. The four agreements are one is being being peccable with your word. The second agreement is I'm gonna I'm gonna rest this up. But the second agreement is, shoot, I just was reading sapter you last night. Uh, never take anything personally. The third agreement is what's the third agreement, Jess? I don't know. The fourth agreement, UH will be I haven't gotten that chapter yet, but that one's going to be.
Speaker 2: Uh, just do your best forget the third one.
Speaker 3: Our words are impeccable, though, and we don't. We don't. We don't take it personally. See, it's not a it's not what you're saying about us. It's not about us. It's about you, and we don't take it personally at all at all. We want you to continue to be who you are and whatever you believe, and you trust in you that's what you believe, and we'll do what we do. But we thank you for listening.
Speaker 7: I think he just felt like we coaches wouldn't dog their players publicly.
Speaker 6: I say, otherwise, I didn't say dog that that miss dog is.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't even thank you. My whole thing was, don't talk about specific players. Just say hey, we're going to evaluate every position. I feel like that's that's not.
Speaker 7: I haven't heard this before. He says that Jimmy said that to cut you because you're overweight, but then he gave you a chance and you proved him wrong.
Speaker 2: No, it was, uh no, it didn't totally come like that. No, no, because everybody wanted Jimmy to cut me. Jimmy said, we don't. We're not looking at the same film. Basically, you tell them.
Speaker 3: You know you're not. We're not looking at the same film. Oh yeah. Four agreements, be impeccable with your word. The second agreement, don't take anything personally. We don't take anything personally here. The third agreement is don't make assumptions. Don't make assumption in. The fourth agreement is always do your best at least.
Speaker 2: I'm on the third one. I'm not making an assumption or this coach you staff for players.
Speaker 5: I'm reading a new book to what Oscar the Grouch South of every every night.
Speaker 3: That's I'm reading a new book too. What it's called Backpack.
Speaker 6: I'm getting better, Nate better, getting better?
Speaker 13: What Chris Chris Chris, he's been out of town for a week.
Speaker 6: Yes, we haven't played together in probably two or three weeks month.
Speaker 3: I think you know who loves our show, My homegirl, Shelby. I call the shows. Shelby loves our show. She thinks our show is hilarious.
Speaker 6: Thanks Shelby.
Speaker 3: She never listens to our so she never listens to our show live. She waits till the next day that she goes to the gym. So our show air today, She's gonna watch it tomorrow morning. When she goes to the Jets. She's working out, and she's like, people think I'm crazy because the way I'd be dying. Laugh and watch her hang with the boys at six am in the morning on the treadmill. Keep it, keep it real, miss Shelby.
Speaker 6: We'll have to go back to non football talk for Shelby next week.
Speaker 3: Since we're she loves it all.
Speaker 6: She loves it all, so good stuff. I talk to Combine and what Jesse's scores were.
Speaker 3: No, we're not talking about that anymore. We're not We're not what you did to Combine slow.
Speaker 6: This is you got invited to the combin.
Speaker 3: This is why. This is why I was a guy. If I ran faster, it would have been better.
Speaker 6: But you were at the combine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were there forty four five.
Speaker 6: We can look it up. Let's slick it up next week.
Speaker 5: Let's slick it up next week, and the stats next week. If you find some footage too, Chris.
Speaker 3: There's no footage, there's sure, trust me, there's no footage. Okay, I'm backing.
Speaker 6: A long time now. It's alphabetic order. You can't be the back of the line.
Speaker 3: And it was like, hey, you just get back. Was the back of the group.
Speaker 14: So you're one of those guys that at the combine is like, you know, some guys like now, I'm not going to do that drill, and just he's like, no, I'll do it every drill.
Speaker 5: Every drill, I'll catch every quarterback, I'll run every route. Just get me out there, just maybe somebody will see me.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm knocking on teams though, Like y'all want to talk to me round you about the chick your fingers? Nah, keep walking, and I think Jesse will agree with me.
Speaker 14: The guy you do not want to be, okay, is the drill they do where they like catch the ball one way and catch the ball next and they run down that straight line.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm talking the gauntlet, right.
Speaker 14: You don't want to be the guy that gets hitting the head of the ball, because it happens at.
Speaker 6: Least once.
Speaker 14: Guys look into the right every ball come right from the left and just get them.
Speaker 6: If you can pull at least a photo of Jesse at the combine, if I'm sure.
Speaker 14: I can probably go to the scout and get one of the Let's go all right, fellas, good seeing y'all.
Speaker 6: See you next week, same time, same place.
Speaker 3: Little gross we are.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas boys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.