Speaker 1: Hello, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh my freaking god, I cannot believe it. We are back for season eleven. We're recapping shit.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm gonna shit my pants. We have Alex Basket as my guest today, our guest. Welcome to the casting couch, the legitimate one.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me casting couch. Are you nervous a little bit? I have to say.
Speaker 2: I'm a little starstruck because usually I talk to you and we just like shoot the shit. But now you're sitting here and I'm like, Okay, this is the creator of all things that make me survive during like the rough moments, like you are the person that created ohc bh vander Pump. I mean, do you ever think, like, holy shit, everything I touch turns to gold?
Speaker 3: No, not at all, because I just always think that everyday gold is going to turn and shit trying to keep them going, and sometimes I just wonder how I'm still here?
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very curious about how you got into producing.
Speaker 2: Well, producing reality television. Was that always the goal or were you like wanting to be in movies and scripted.
Speaker 3: I used to joke that no one's goal was to end up in reality you just did so totally and it's changed obviously. I think that, you know, in the pecking order of things, reality is much higher, and I think things are blurred and blended now. But I got into it as accidentally as anyone. I grew up in LA My dad was a writer, and I got an internship at MTV the summer after my senior year in high school. And that's when MTV was doing a lot of cool shit, and I just loved it. I loved all of the action. I love the fact that you could go from idea to air quickly. And I loved it so much that I went off to law school. So I designed that maybe I wanted to be an attorney and love law school. Knew I did not want to practice law. I looked around at the successful partners and firms that I've worked for over the summers, and I thought, I don't want one thing that you have, Like, I'm very bored by this. So I called up Doug Ross from Evolution, who I had met when I was at MTV, and I was like, do you remember me all these years ago? And you thought that I was a bright young kid and it wanted to hire me? Do you have a place for me, and he hired me, and so that was my only job for many years until I started my own company. And he just kind of caught the wave. And you know, when reality became as big as it did, and it made all of those cable networks in particular, and so I was an ambitious young person at a time that an industry was booming.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, really amazing.
Speaker 4: What did you work on specific Were you like working on the Real World MTV?
Speaker 3: No, you know, I was working in development, but I had the balls more then than I do now to pitch them when I was interning there. So I set up a meeting and I set up a pilot there for a project that I wanted to do with them, and I got like dressed up and sorted this formal meeting, and so that's how I ended up meeting a few producers because needed someone to actually make that. But I just I love the fact that you could make anything possible. And the fun thing at the time too, was just you know, pop culture trends were set by MTV. And that's the thing that was so fun about the current wave that we're riding on. Vander Pump Rules is It's one of the few recent examples of everyone coming together and watching a show at the same time. It's just a conversation across the board, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, like, no matter what your background was, where you came from, what you did for a living, Like it was to the point where you couldn't not acknowledge that it was happening, because it was everywhere. You said that scanned of all, what it was coined was the craziest thing that had happened to our show, but it's also kind of the worst thing that happened to our show. So when Scanaval happened and we decided to go into season eleven, what were your fears?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought, contrary to what certain people in certain quarters have said about that incident or not that incident, that controversy saving the show, the truth is we were making a great show in season ten, and in fact, we had made a great season and it was a bounce back season, and the audience was into it, and I felt like it there's a danger in burning too fast and too brightly. And I also thought that is the one thing that has happened to this group that has threatened to tear it completely apart. Everything else has been something we've been able to overcome. And I didn't know that we could put the pieces back together, and so I thought, look, I would trade putting aside all of the human damage and everything else, just purely analytically as a producer. I wish it ever happened.
Speaker 4: Wow, wild really And you think that will never change that opinion?
Speaker 3: It could, And I mean, you know other things that have come out of it, like, for example, the Valley, you know, the new series, which may or may not have happened if there weren't such momentum. So I think there's that and I think, you know, things change in unexpected ways, but that is the way that for a while that I felt. And you know that's still my analysis right now.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because if you think about it now, now I have like the big wig backing up what I have said right that no matter whether whether Scandabal happened or not, season ten was going to be great. And all of these people saying it was set up to make season ten or make the show pop off. We've been popping, not at this level, but we have our main producer saying I wish it wouldn't have happened because for the first time ever, you have a group of people where it's like, where, how do we rebuild? How do we even move on from this? And I said, this is a group for season eleven, this is a group of people, And I said, it's for the first time, we're all very selfish.
Speaker 1: Now I know that we're a selfish group.
Speaker 2: From what it looks like, for the first time ever, no one gives a damn about anybody except themselves.
Speaker 1: Everyone is living up their own ass.
Speaker 2: Season eleven, it's it's gonna be a wild season to watch.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's good?
Speaker 2: Like I haven't seen it obviously, I've seen the first episode.
Speaker 1: You've seen quite a few cuts. Do you think it's good?
Speaker 3: I do. I think it's really good. And I wasn't sure that it would be. So I had great trepidation going into the season because I thought we had less control than we've ever had. And there's just, you know, the show that you might want to make, and then there's the one that you do make that you have to make, which is just you know, sort of where everyone is. And so we can't bring the group back together if that's not where they are, and we have there's a questions all the time, like you know, well, uh what about Arianna shooting with Tom? Whatever? It's like, what are we supposed to do? Right? I mean, you know, we sort of take people for where they are. But I think it's fascinating. I think that it's still really interesting to see the dynamics. Interestingly, even with Arianna and Tom, the fact that they live together through the season is wild. So I think people are going to enjoy seeing that documented.
Speaker 1: No, it really it's.
Speaker 3: The Is that a storyline for them? Also?
Speaker 5: That's what I thought looking down, Did they live together for a storyline?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You mean you mean you mean like years ago right in the houses there, Like it'll be a great story. You couldn't get them to agree on anything.
Speaker 5: But if I was seriously just getting the hell out, yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 2: No, but that's what the season, that's we'll see, right, You're going to see it all play out. Because there's a lot of things that are said that you're like, I can't get down with what you're saying because of the way that you're moving and I don't understand this.
Speaker 1: By the way, Easton does not watch reality TV.
Speaker 3: I have to start.
Speaker 2: I just told him about the episode where I told Stacy and Kristen to wrap it up looking like a drunk shit sue.
Speaker 1: I have something to go home and watch. They has no idea.
Speaker 5: It's so different from me, Like I've never watched it, even when like your first season when I was like, oh, maybe i'll watch it, I watched one and it's so weird, saying like.
Speaker 1: Your sister just do all this shit, and then you.
Speaker 5: See her like making out with James, and I'm like, I can't know it it is. It's just so different from like a brother's standpoint. I can't get by, but I'm gonna. I'm gonna try my hardest, but I like I can do the Valley. It's just like when you're on it.
Speaker 1: It's like, h the Valley. I can't wait for.
Speaker 2: And you did say if there wasn't so much momentum, like you never know if if the Valley would have happened or not, Like we really will never know.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited about it.
Speaker 2: Can you give us any sort of teachers about the valley teaser?
Speaker 4: And what is the main difference between py U seeing the Valley and producing vander Pump.
Speaker 3: Good question. Okay, so here's my teas. We start the valley with a crossover between Jack's and Tom Sandaval and so you have Jax joining Boys Night, which is with Schwartz and James and Sandoval, and Jax has a few choice words for sand of fal Okay and it's really fun. And then we see Jacks drive over the hill and go into the valley. So do I it is it's cinematic in our world?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course. I mean, this is like when it's the start of a new production.
Speaker 2: No, but it's like remembering being in Utah and watching Beverly Hills and all of a sudden, I'm watching a new show called vander Pump Rules. Remember you you did a similar crosshow so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we did. Yeah, I mean in that one. It's funny. I almost hate to invoke that one because we can't POSSI compared to that because the stakes were so high and so we'd like one hundred percent audience retention. I'd love to say that was my idea. It was not. It was someone else's and then I know helped put it into motion, right, But you know, this still will give you the feeling of being in one and then being in the next one. And I think where the Valley is very different is it's a different phase in life, and the idea is adulting. And it's also that this is a group that is trying to raise families or figure out what's next, but they don't have anything figured out. And so that's the fun of it to me, is that Jax is still.
Speaker 2: Jacks Sis will never not be anything kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it is. And so you know, Jack's preaches and proclaims that he has grown up and everyone needs to find the maturity that he has, and we see by the end of the first episode that that's dubious.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to watch this I'm hearing.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's accurate when people say it's it's a show that falls somewhere in between vander Pump Rules and Housewives.
Speaker 3: That's how I pitched it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you would say that's true, Yeah, okay. Did you show a lot of like the kids and them being parents?
Speaker 3: We show a We show a good amount. We show enough so that you can see that they are all caring parents and kind of trying to figure it out. But at the same time, there's only so much that you can watch of children, right, and I meanty even thing for you, Like, doesn't it stretch you out to watch people with their children?
Speaker 1: I don't mean to be rude.
Speaker 2: I just don't care about other right too, I just don't like I know that I care a lot about my child, but.
Speaker 1: Like I really don't give a shit about yours.
Speaker 3: Other people's hats and kids are not interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 4: That's how everyone is, though. It's like no one's ever gonna think your kid or pet is as.
Speaker 1: Cute as you do.
Speaker 4: My question between the Housewives franchise, vander Pump and now the this might be hard, but what was the most difficult one to produce and why they've all.
Speaker 3: Been difficult in different ways. I would say where vander Pump has been easier in some ways is you had a group that was fully in and so everyone has had their moments. It's like, you know, in your first few seasons on the show, like like oh, bad day, She's fleeing to Utah and literally not picking up a call from anyone. There's nothing we can do, and the network would be like, what do you mean she's in Utah. She's in Utah. That's what I mean like it's physically in Utah, so but you know, or like Stasse's New York Adventure those things like, Right, So there was some of that, but you still had a group that was constantly generating story and was as game as anyone that I've ever met, to tell it, So there's that Housewives. It always felt like the stakes were higher whether or not they were, just was a group that is, like, you know, very serious about those things. And then I'm trying to think about the Valley actually was a fairly seamless production, and I think, you know, I didn't know kind of what everyone's frame of mind would be for it, but but they were all pretty into it in game. And I think it also helped having Jax and Brittany and Christen, so we had like three ringers in there, right.
Speaker 2: And then Janet is someone who's you know, she's never really been at the forefront of vander Pump rules, but she seems to know the drill. She's been friends with all of us for quite some time, so it's like she understands how this works totally. I just think it would be the person that I feel like the most for because I can't even imagine filming a show like this and just I just given birth to not one, but two babies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Nia, Okay, two babies.
Speaker 2: She's got three kids under two that she just gave birth. I mean she yes, like they literally they were so brand new. She's like one of the things I filmed. We were at Jackson, Brits. But she's in a room like both babies on the tit and I'm like that, You're a superhero, Like, right, guys, I don't know how she did it. I think the Valley is going to be absolutely spectacular. And I told Brittany, you must have a watch party every single week. And I can't wait to get on social media and talk about how I feel about Jack's Taylor in each episode.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've been a segment now, it'll probably be on the podcast.
Speaker 3: By the way, what a ride that's going to be because he is just the first episode. Like, your observations are going to be all over the place about him because it's really fun.
Speaker 2: Well, Alex, I can't wait because before we started, there was a time when Jacks and Kristen Dodie were no longer a part of vander Pump and I would see people talk about how evolved they are now and how much they've changed, and I just can't wait for people to see.
Speaker 1: Where they are now and see people's take.
Speaker 3: We give them the full opportunity to show how evolve they are.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I can't and they've done it.
Speaker 3: They've done they have.
Speaker 5: I had a question about production and when when you're going into it and like selecting a cast, how do you go about that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like do you because obviously Monica said that she.
Speaker 1: From he will apply. She was like, I applied for this gig.
Speaker 3: So I was thinking, like.
Speaker 5: I was like, I haven't even thought about that side of producing. Do you have people in mind that you've seen or is it a kind of putting in a resume?
Speaker 3: Well, I love that, you know, she acts like it's a job at best Buy that is not like putting together. The valley started with conversations I was having with Jack's and so he and I went out to dinner and we were just talking about what's going on in his life now and who his friends are. And I quickly settled on the idea of doing something about families or couples, right, and then we kind of built it out from there. And so we put on tape pretty much everyone it's in his close inner circle and kind of went from there. So everyone really knows each other, they're all invested in each other, they all care, and we didn't want to, you know, add any gimmicks or try to fill out the cast in a way that wasn't authentic. I think other shows are a little different. So I think if there's a show that is more of a construct and it's not necessarily about a group, then you know, maybe it's put together differently. But look, it's like when you join Vanderpump, you know, you and James have been an Ariana are the examples of additions to the group because you guys were a part of the group and made yourself matter to the group. And any time that we ever just broad in someone random who had just worked at SIRR a little bit, it didn't work.
Speaker 1: It never worked.
Speaker 2: It felt like you've been here for five minutes, where when I joined it was like I'd been getting wasted at SIR since I was eighteen.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: Right it was like, bit, what was your initial and impressions of Lalla?
Speaker 1: Did you have a thought of like this girl's not.
Speaker 3: Away I just thought, well, there's my pressure from casting and then production. So from casting, I thought she was a gem. I thought you were great because I was like, who the fuck is this? So I thought you were one of a kind. You were living in Stasse's bedroom like that was weird, you know, So the whole thing was great, Like we were all in on that and I could not quite figure you out. And then in production it was a different story because we had never met anyone that I said who just was like, nope, not doing it. So there was that, but you were worth it. You were pain in the ass, but you were worth it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, was less, so let's less.
Speaker 3: So I actually could I didn't really not anymore because I think, I mean, you've just changed and matured so much, and you just view it differently and you're grounded and different things matter to you and you're much more secure, so you're really not a pain in the ass at this point.
Speaker 1: At this point, like it feels like therapy.
Speaker 2: Like before, when I see anybody, because I love reality TV, when I see anyone freaking out about something that may come out, I'm like, girl, just let it come out. And the next year, no one's gonna care and it's gonna be a completely different storyline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is interesting.
Speaker 4: You get to see all these personalities on these different shows. Do you ever sort of look at these people and think this person would be great doing a project with this person?
Speaker 1: Maybe I should do?
Speaker 3: Do you ever all of the time?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's really fun to sort of mash things up. And I mean we've talked about, you know, certain potential partnerships. Yes, right, that because I just it. You get to know different people and sort of see how there might be some synergenistic you know, combination between them, and so I think that all the time. Or sometimes I'm jealous. Sometimes I think a look at a show and think, well, we really could use her over here. It's too bad it can't make, you know, like a trade.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Do you ever look at projects and you're like, damn, what I would have given to be the person that came up with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the best feeling when you're the person who makes the announcement that everyone else thinks is really obvious. I'm like I got their first, you know. Yeah, like with Botch for example, is is I just that came about because I was at dinner with Paul Nassif this is when he and Adrian Malouf were divorcing, and he wanted me back on television again. I'm just like, what do you do all day as a plastic surgeon? And he started describing revision plastic surgery. I was like, Okay, what about a show where we're fixing that? So I called it nip Fucked and I added him and Terry de bro together because I thought they would be good.
Speaker 1: So they did. They not know each other before you came into the mix.
Speaker 3: They didn't seen each other fear they had met, or they knew each other from years ago but hadn't talked about it. They weren't homie, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: Is their chemistry on camera You would think that they go and get drinks and they're so different, but it just works so well.
Speaker 3: It worked from the minute that we shot this like bootleg tape where basically I put celebrities on carbers. Somebody said it had bad surgeries and they talked about how they would undo that work. Yeah, it just worked. So that was one that I, you know, I couldn't have ever imagined that they would be that good together. But I just I thought you needed too, and those guys.
Speaker 1: You had to have too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that one is awesome. And I love that one is neck down and the other one's neck.
Speaker 3: Up, although they fight over that. So the really funny thing is Terry in I want to say it was like starting in season three because by the way, everyone's happy, you get two seasons of a hit show. Everyone's a real good sport whatever. Yeah, and then starting in season three, he's like, hey, why are you giving Paul all the faces? I do faces too. I'm like, I know, but you also do the body and Paul doesn't.
Speaker 2: So right, so you're gonna have to just like take one for the team and only focus on the tits and tummy. Yes, you know exactly, Like, and why are you complaining about it?
Speaker 1: Terror?
Speaker 3: Terry's the best, so I good naturedly give him shit. And then Paul's complaint during at that point on the show too, was Paul all of a sudden wanted it was like a car service complaint. He wanted like a car service to go like two hundred feet, and so I ran into him. Was literally we were shooting the after show, and he wanted car service and he's like he lived, like, you know, like two miles from there or something. So I ran into him at a party and I said, hey, Paul, how'd you get here tonight? And this is fun of like a group of people, and he's like, I drove, I go, so you do drive? I know?
Speaker 2: Oh no, now that is a devo good Wait, so did did he get car service?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: He like he let He was like, you hurt my feelings, but you made your point. So I'm like, all right, that's a when.
Speaker 1: You have a way of doing that hurting feelings. Yeah, no, of like making good points. Yeah no, I'm making a good points. I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does it ever get hard when you start developing like real connections with people on these shows that you are creating and producing. You they call you to vent, you take an interest in their life. You become a confidant, but you know that you still have to tell their story. Does it ever get sticky where you're like, God, I really wish that I was not as close to this person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can be really hard because they're people that I care about, and so I know that telling the story is going to impact their lives. But at the same time, that's the job, and you know, they sort of know that that's the show that they're on. But it does feel tough. I think that because of the depth of the relationships, they understand that it isn't personal. And I also don't do anything that is gratuitous, So there's always the story that we could tell, right, And it's like you could make anything, you know, a thousand times worse. There's things that for the sake of discretion that you don't include. But you know the deal is. You know, look, if you sign up for it, then you know those things are open and are discussed, and you know, I can't make that go away, but it does. I mean there are times when I've thought, you know, maybe I need to take a break from doing it because it's because it's hard, right, you know, And again you're all too well aware that these are real people and they really have to live with it. I also, on the other hand, have enough perspective to know everything passes and so the things that in the moment feel like you know, the end of your life are not and you know time goes on, so I'm aware of that too, but but it's really hard. It weighs on me. It does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering that because I know that you and Kyle Richards are very close, and you know, I just I can't imagine having something like a twenty seven year marriage that's been put under a microscope. Children are involved, like you had such a picture perfect life, and then this unfolds on television, and I think that was the first time that I was like, damn, I wonder if that ever kind of fucks with Alex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one was really hard to see because they're both great people and they have had a great marriage. Yeah, so it's not the you know, proverbial housewife. Oh okay, I saw that coming, and maybe everybody is better off for it. Right, So that was really really tough to experience, and you know, you want to, on the one hand, be there for her as a human being, but also you have to tell a story too, right.
Speaker 2: I find when I get because you do become extremely close with producers, like I find that they become like my friends but also kind of like family members because you talk to them, you know that you're telling a story, and in order for you to tell the story properly, you need to know exactly where my head's at, so I find it. There's some people that are new and they're like, don't tell producers anything, and it's like, well, then you're you. If you don't want any control over your narrative, do that. Otherwise pick up the phone. Because there are many times where I could be saying something and a producer says to me, this is how I took it, and I'm like, hold up, no, we got to rewind.
Speaker 1: This is where my head's at in there.
Speaker 2: Go great, let's let's tell that story because it's the true story.
Speaker 3: You're so right, and it's counterintuitive. So you tend to think that if you withhold and control information that you control the story, and it isn't true. And look the case study for that is Arianna and scandabal Yeah, so she found Sandival's phone or she she whatever, she you know, saw what she did on scan on Sandoval's phone. And then I was called in Scandabalio these days. And then and then she let production knowe right away, and she told that story, and I would say, pretty powerfully, so.
Speaker 2: She said, I called production immediately because I knew that he would try to get me to not talk about it, not tell them. We were going to concoct something, and because it was years of us in a relationship together, he probably could have got me to change my mind. And I got chills when I heard that. I was like, damn, it's just wild that. That's what I mean, Like the production team becomes your family. The first person you call. By the way, there's a lot of things that have happened in my life. Were the first person I call obviously my mama, but then I'm calling a producer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, immediately.
Speaker 4: Was there any world in which you were not picking cameras back up for that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Or was it you had no?
Speaker 3: I mean, we were going to do that, but we and it just was not even a question we had. There were a couple of contributors to the decision who thought we should just hold until the reunion, and we thought that was asenine, like, no, We're going in right now.
Speaker 1: I still get chills thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too, having Jeremiah be like, you're not allowed to leave LA because we're picking up cameras like tomorrow right, Damn damn. What do you think about everyone saying like I think it's so so again. I watch a lot of reality TV. Kyle stepping into her interview with like the red cutout top on We've got Southern charm people who I think her name's Olivia. It is Olivia shows up in like her kind of revenge dress and now no one, not a soul am Bravo can go through something like being done dirty by a man.
Speaker 1: No one can have that happen and then wear red with cutouts or they're immediately labeled Ariana. Yeah, is that the craziest shit to watch?
Speaker 3: Alex so funny.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like Mauricio and Kyle planned list have a scan of all moment. I'm like, yes, the couple that's been together for twenty seven years wanted a scan a scandal all moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what they were thinking. So that what she could continue on the show. I mean think she's you know.
Speaker 2: But Kyle's been the glue from the very beginning. Erica Jane said it. I think it was either two reunions ago a year ago where she's like she is the queen of the group, she's the glue to all of us, and I feel like that it's very true.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, obviously she's been around since the beginning. The show is you know important she's been great for the show, and she does hold it all together. She just is in some ways the ultimate real housewife, you know, she she just gets it, and she does it in a way too that doesn't compromise herself. So she knows what she's doing, wants to make a show, but stands behind what she's done as well, right, And I think it's great. I think, you know, she's challenging the perception of her right now because she just is in a different place than she was, and so I think that's throwing people off a lot. But she's just, you know, the bedrock of that show. By the way.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's ever looked better.
Speaker 2: I find her attitude to be very sexy and inspiring and I dig her.
Speaker 3: Oh she doesn't give a shit anymore too. I mean that's kind of.
Speaker 2: The not at all fun of it, because you know there were many times where like she didn't want she didn't like confrontation. Yeah, kind of like clammed up a bit. Now she's like, you're a fucking bitch right now. Stop And it's like, oh, I'm a little wet you.
Speaker 3: No, she's activated.
Speaker 1: She's activated.
Speaker 3: So we have that reunion on Friday, the.
Speaker 1: Reunion is on Friday.
Speaker 2: Why you're obviously boots on the ground with that. Yeah, I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be good. It's so good.
Speaker 2: When you think about all of the seasons that you have under your belt, of all the shows, is there one season of any of the shows that sticks out in your mind going that was a freaking hard season, Like, I'm so glad that shit is done.
Speaker 3: To me, it's either the strongest or the weakest seasons. Okay, the weakest seasons sometimes, which is because it just doesn't work right, I mean, and there are there are good seasons and bad seasons.
Speaker 2: So my overstepping by asking is there a season we were like.
Speaker 1: That was a really shitty season at show?
Speaker 3: You know, look, I thought vander Pump season nine was dogshit beyond.
Speaker 1: I was like, we're not coming back.
Speaker 3: I thought, I thought we're done. And that's why I've said a bunch that to me, you know, we caught this big scandal and we went right in and you know, everyone sort of did what they did with it. But to me, the accomplishment was being around for that to happen, was still being around for a season ten and you kind of ride it out, and you know, there's ebbs and flows. So I think with Orange County, I thought last season was really good. The season before was not.
Speaker 1: Was that the one with Noela?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Season sixteen, yeah that wasn't great.
Speaker 2: Last season was great, really, but the one with Noela without I don't think Vicky or Tamra made an appearance at all, that was a tough one to watch.
Speaker 1: I should have watched it, but.
Speaker 3: It just didn't come together. It didn't it didn't happen, And so there's that. Beverly Hills has had some seasons too. You do the best that you can with any of it, but yeah, I think that it's really hard when it doesn't all come together. And then sometimes it's really hard when you're going through something that's just tough to manage and tough to trudge through.
Speaker 5: Are there seasons that you on any of the shows that you've produced that you're like, that season you can watch one through fifteen, or is there a season of a show that you're like that was incredible or just through.
Speaker 1: And through every episode was.
Speaker 5: Incredible, like top to bottom, Yeah, it was unreal perfect. Or if you could only watch one season of a show you produced, what season.
Speaker 1: Would that, Oh, I love that.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I would say it tends to be earlier seasons for me because I just have the removal in the distance from them to just you know, yeah, and probably rewrite them in my mind and everything is perfect and I'm like, oh, this is when I was coming of age and I started doing Yeah, totally. It's just what we do. You know, like you look through photos of yourself smiling, and you know you're not aware of like the hour before you know, where you were grounded by your parents or whatever. So I just that's what I think. I think the early seasons of Beverly Hills. I think there's a few great seasons of Fan or Pump, but I still season one was fun just because I knew we were onto something, you know, and it started with the crossover and whatever. So there's that. And then Orange County. Yeah, I mean I liked the last season of Orange County because it was a renaissance and so that was fun to me, and I thought we were back from the dead, and that's always a really good feeling like Okay, we've still got it.
Speaker 2: That's how it felt. Yeah, as someone who's watched since the beginning. But there is something like you said about OG seasons before anybody got injected and realized what they were going to look like on camera, where you were.
Speaker 1: Just like showing.
Speaker 2: It felt like you were walking around with a tape recorder on these people.
Speaker 3: There is so the head current Programming from prof was Sherrylathini. She was head for many years. Used to she's great, she's brilliant woman, but is just savage and cutting in what she says. And so I remember after the first season of Beverly Hills, she's like, congratulations, it'll never be that good again, Like, do.
Speaker 4: You feel that way It's never been that good again.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's true, because I think it's just different. And I thought that season two was great for that show too, But oh.
Speaker 1: My god, yes, but.
Speaker 3: I know it show. I know what she means, and it was it's your point to where something changes when people watch themselves and when other people comment on them, and you cannot deny that social media has an impact on people, and there's a self awareness that you know, maybe doesn't exist for season one, and maybe we can't even get to that these days anyway, because everyone knows how the shows are made or think they do anyway, or thinks that they've cracked the code. So there's there's self conscious anyway. But by the way, I found that refreshing with the Valley. I actually didn't think that there was a ton of image crafting. I thought that people showed up as who they were and things happened.
Speaker 4: So well, speaking of social media, do you, let's be honest here, do you guys take what the fans say into account when filming these shows?
Speaker 3: When I think we apply the appropriate discount factors. So I'm not going to say that we're not aware of it, but I will say that social media is a measure of intensity more than anything. But it isn't. It doesn't line up with any research that you would do, any any rigorous research because it tends to be the same people on social media who are heated time and again, and it does not reflect it. It's a really small and very biased sample size.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how do you decide if there's a new cast member that comes into the mix. How do you decide if that person is coming back or if they're not.
Speaker 1: Because someone could think.
Speaker 2: They did great, but overall, like, how do you measure if they did great.
Speaker 3: It's hard and it is not a science. And I always think that it's a mistake to try to turn something that is creative and that is, you know, sort of floating an amorphous into something that it isn't. And so it's a series of conversations. So it'll be the producers and the network and you arrive at some kind of consensus, and you know, not everyone may be pleased with it, but it's an analysis based on what you think of that specific person, what they're fit is within the group, where you think you can go with them. It's all of those things. It's much more qualitative than quantitative.
Speaker 2: Do you find that a lot of these new housewives that are being cast come in and they see what they could be making.
Speaker 1: On the show?
Speaker 2: Like do you find that sometimes you hit a dead end where it's like this person would have been great, but they're coming in here asking for the sun stars in the moon and they gotta go.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we lead or I lead a lot of conversations by telling people like, you know, congratulations, I have good news. We want you on the show. Now we're about to insult you. Yeah, so you know you should be This is what it is and you know, this is the economics of this business and you have to accept that. And also it sounds right, but it's the truth. You're not signing up for the show just to make money from the show's it's really what does this do for you on the whole? What is your plan you know, to use this. So we have all of those conversations, but I do think that people sometimes are not realistic about it. And I've seen people talk themselves out of, you know, opportunities that would have been great, and then circle back to us, you know, a year later and say now I'm ready, Like, well, now we're not right.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, how we've moved on for me? We don't care. You spent one season? What about shows?
Speaker 4: Let's talk about shows you do not produce. Do you see any maybe some of the Housewise franchise, maybe Summer House that you're like, I would have killed it or I would have done this differently.
Speaker 3: It's the cheapest thing to do. Yes, I do. Okay, So because you're not you know, I'm aware that people are doing the same thing to the shows that I'm on, but that's kind of it's hard not to do that, and it's hard as a producer not to watch, especially if it's this genre and and just you know, think that you can extrapolate what the circumstances are and that you might have handled it differently. But at the same time, there are plenty of shows that I watch and I marvel at what other producers have done with it and think, you know, thank god, I'm just watching this and I didn't have to make it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, do you have a specific you have a specific show, whether or not it's like Real Housewives of Miami or like that.
Speaker 1: You're like, I could have killed it. I could have done well fewer in in the Bravo universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because you kind of think in any of those shows you think, you know, you could do, but other people could do the shows that I do as well. Right, it's kind of the same formula exactly, and they're just you know, they're different. There's different dynamics, the relationships matter. But there's you know, people that do that. To me. It's things that I just that I've never done before, or like for example, if you guys watch on bitconned on Netflix.
Speaker 1: No, so it's.
Speaker 3: Great, it's just a it's a cryptocurrency scam show. But it just is really stylishly done, and I just thought everything I've.
Speaker 2: Heard of this, yeah, yeah, because you have to remember shows on Bravo, no matter what production company is being used, you have to send the cut over to Bravo and they make their notes.
Speaker 1: So in a sense, when you watch there, they're all the.
Speaker 2: Vibe is the same throughout no matter what, which is why people get so addicted. That's why we have things like BRAVOCN because you just become a fan of it. All right, You're watching the same game, inserting different players that are all fucking savage and awesome.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it gives me chill talking about it.
Speaker 1: Question for you before I let you go, do you think we would ever?
Speaker 2: We as if I have a say, do you think you guys would ever if Rachel Raquel picked up the phone and said, I really think I messed up and I'd like to be back on the show if you'll have me with everything that you know going behind the scenes. Number one, how do you feel if she were to say that, would we bring her back in?
Speaker 3: I I don't know. I mean, I hesitate to say never, but I just it's such a far fetched scenario that I would say, right now, we're good where we are, and I hope she's good where she is.
Speaker 1: I love that answer.
Speaker 2: So Alex, we do an ach and relief at the end of every episode. Just you'll start us off, so Alex knows what this means.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is the day after the vander Pump Rules Season eleven premiere.
Speaker 1: So I can say this.
Speaker 4: My relief is your vulnerability in this premiere episode.
Speaker 1: I was so proud of you.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the viewers have said at this point, but I'm excited to see. I know you're nervous, but I think it's a side of you that is very refreshing to you.
Speaker 1: That's my relief.
Speaker 4: My ache is that we still have now another week pretty much for season or for episode two, because it was such a good season eleven premiere episode.
Speaker 1: Love it a relief of the week.
Speaker 5: My ache is going to be the Miami SA Aquarium again.
Speaker 1: I love it. Tell us out out there.
Speaker 5: I know there was another video that came out January of this year, twenty twenty four. Okay, and there's more dolphins in it. There's three and one that I see. It's a video. If you would like to watch you know.
Speaker 2: What, I bet the wall risks Whisper is all over that shit.
Speaker 1: He shout out for him.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they've had one hundred and twenty dolphins die in this seaquarium, so let's just keep it up and keep out.
Speaker 1: In them despicable. What's your relief.
Speaker 5: My relief is going to be outing them, So I'm.
Speaker 1: Having a platform to out that. Yes, so that's what that's my relief.
Speaker 5: So let's go get them Easton.
Speaker 1: I love that for you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: My ache is going to be that. I really thought that it was going to be more like five or six. I guess I can wait until VPR episode eight for the Valley to come out. That's my ache. My relief is knowing that it's coming out because I got in trouble for talk talking about it on my Amazon Live.
Speaker 1: Alex might not know this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bravo hit me up, not me personally, they hit a member of my team up and they said, please tell her to shut the fuck up and stop talking.
Speaker 1: About the Valley. I'm just so excited about it.
Speaker 2: You like people talking about it, well, not when it's not announced yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, I mean that was like.
Speaker 5: A couple of days before the announcement huh more of.
Speaker 1: Like a couple of months. But it's okay, all right, you shit the bed.
Speaker 3: I was off, Yeah, I mean I don't mind people talking about anything. And I think that also was a badly kept secret anyway, right, I mean, there's no way that people wouldn't know that we were shooting that show.
Speaker 2: So I was like, how am I the one to out this when you have people like Jack say, you're telling me?
Speaker 1: Neither of them have spilled the beans on it. Jax was telling me us about it before I even started filming.
Speaker 5: He was like, yeah, we're going to start it.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, nolexcitedn't think it was happening. I was like, I really didn't need Jack.
Speaker 3: Jax was coming out. I think you even sent me a note. You're like, hey, is this thing real?
Speaker 2: I was like, because, like Jack's I don't care if he lives in his own world, but I'm concerned about what he tells Brittany, and so like, if this is not real, I need to sit Brittany down and be like, girl, we got to move on from the conversation.
Speaker 3: So my ach is the Beverly Hills reunion. At the end of this week because I just want to be done with that, okay. And then my relief and it pertains to the first episode of VPR is that Tom finally came back from New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was annoying right anyway, I love it, Alex. Thank you so much for coming on my podcast, My Loves, I love you all. Thank you for listening to another episode of the Give Them All a Podcast. Remember, do not support any places that use animals for entertainment. No animals in captivities, spay in new to your pets, adopt, don't shop.
Speaker 1: I love you and I'll catch you next week.