Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the marrow. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man.
Speaker 3: Hero.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Man, Welcome back to the Mailroom, guys, Doctor Jesse Mills here with my indomitable producer Jordan Runta, the Sultan of Sound, roll to my stone in the studio again for another episode of the mail Room. It's March and March. I don't know how things are going in Brooklyn. The poppies popping and the daffodils out. We have poppies here. I guess you have daffodils.
Speaker 4: But tell me crosses freezing, my friends.
Speaker 2: No, someday we're gonna have this amazing conversation because I feel like, you know, I'm always talking about great it is in Santa Monica. But Brooklyn, I mean, it's like this New York City. It's like an amazing town. There's so much give me, like your top two great thing as you did last week, because you're in New York City that I probably couldn't do in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: That's I mean, good pizza, good jazz.
Speaker 2: Okay, other than wear sweater. Oh yeah, since since Chet Baker's passing, we got great jazz here. What are you talking about? That's true? Okay, yeah, go down the Venice the.
Speaker 5: Blue Notes opening out here.
Speaker 2: I mean yes, but but all right, so you got so you go to some a good club, went to Vanguard. You know me, I'm old school. Come on, yeah, baby, awesome. The pizza thing again, I don't want to talk disparagingly of La Pizza, but you're right, it's a lot easier to find really good pizza brook and we have our spots California Pizza Kitchen. Yeah come ouch ouch. No, they're a big sponsor of UCLA Health. Okay, so there's nothing wrong as ePK if I donate a lot of money to the Department Uerology. So I'm actually a big fan, big fan. Okay. Well, so the other thing that happens in March is basketball. Great basketball tournaments, Men's tournament, n C two a tournament, women's tournament. And so what happens during these turns as well? They're crazy. I can't say they're mad because it's actually copywritten, but it's they're crazy time. And why because there's thirty two games that happen, you know, over day. So imagine if you're a huge basketball fan and you're thinking I need a really good excuse to not do anything. I need to tell my partner, my kids, my dog that I can't take them out for the next couple of days. But they don't want to buy that. Well, so what if it's basketball, just you know, watch a couple of games and call it good. But what if you had something done, like a surgery, like a procedure for example, Jordan, talk to me about this, Right, they're surgeries that you have to have, right, I mean, like, you can't decide to schedule an apendectomy during during the March basketball tournament. Right you can't just say, well, I guess you could. You could lie about it. But but say I had my appendix out, I can't take out the trash for the next two days. But no, no, it's actually one of the best times to get a vasectomy, which is what we're going to be talking about here in the next little bit. I am so so pumped to bring on our guest today, doctor j Sandlow, who's chair of Urology at Medical College of Wisconsin. I'll do a little bit of an introduction, but before I do this, I just want to I want to put you on the spot for a second Jordan.
Speaker 5: All right, are you ready for this?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: You're not nervous.
Speaker 5: Well, I wasn't until you asked me.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's usually I worked say. Well, I'm going to just throw this out at you. So there are two forms of permanent birth control that are available to couples. Okay, this is a test, this is your medical knowledge test. So for a guy, that's a aseectomy. For a woman, it's a tubal ligation. So a tubal ligation a dominal procedure. They make an incision that go in, often with the scope, but there are complications. It requires anesthesia, it requires some recovery time. That's a little bit more significant. If a sectomy takes it takes me about five minutes. It probably talks about doctor Sande little about an hour and a half, but we'll talk about that. But it's a very short procedure. Usually we do it just a local and it's toned through tiny little poke holes. Sometimes we don't even use a scalpel at all. So what do you think with those parameters, what do you think is more commonly performed the United States?
Speaker 1: Jordan?
Speaker 2: Tubal ligation answer A vasectomy answer B.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's anser a tubal location.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, but I don't know, Jay, if you have.
Speaker 5: New numbers on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exactly right. Yeah, Yeah, there's you know, somewhere north of seven eight hundred thousand tubal ligations done every year in this country in about four to maybe five hundred thousand paths, So it's about a two to one ratio somewhere in there of women that are undergoing TUBU, which is a way more invasive approach. And we can have all kinds of discussions about why that is. Obviously the most important one probably is the dog in the hunt. That a woman is going to have a much a much larger seven and a half to eight pound dog in the hunt at the end of pregnancy than a guy.
Speaker 5: But yet it's still there.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do a formal introduction because Stuck, you said, I've known in my literally my entire career. In fact, I owe my mentorship. He was my first mentor in urology. He was the guy that really got me into urology and male fertility specifically. So he is currently the chair of Urology at Medical College of Wisconsin, but he also, as am I, a fellowship trained surgeon. He actually did a very prestigious American Foundation in Neurologic Diseases Fellowship, which is now a Urology Care Foundation Fellowship. But that was a two year research plus surgical exploration into into microsurgery. So the guy is he's vetted. He's a true academician, through and through. He spent his entire entire career in the academy. Where I got to first meet him was when I was a medical student University of Iowa and he was about, gosh, a couple of years probably into practice by that time, and I was a second year of urology. I'm sorry, second year medical student. I really knew I wanted to do surgery. I went to Eurology interest group. I met Jay and somebody else named Dick Williams who's a legend in the field who unfortunately lost way too young to lung cancer.
Speaker 5: But he and Jay were.
Speaker 2: At the surgical interest booth. It was sort of like speed dating for surgeons. When we knew he wanted to do something. I went to neurosurgery. I'm like, I'm not those guys.
Speaker 5: I went to ian T.
Speaker 2: I thought, I don't love snot that much, so I'm going to walk away from there, and I went to these two guys and Dick Williams had a little a faucet pin on his lapel like he's He's like, I'm just a glorified plumber. And then Jay was there, look at like he was. It was like a fraternity rush party. He was this tall, athletic, buff, just super good looking guy. I'm like, holy crap, like this is the this is the fraternity I want to pledge to.
Speaker 5: I want to be a eurologist.
Speaker 2: And then I got to hang out with the residents at the time, and it was a visseecondmy reversal, which we're going to talk about in the next episode, that I was watching Jay do.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't just the skill.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just the way that he was doing this incredibly precise surgery with these sutures that are finer than human hair that you can barely see without a microscope, but he was having so much fun doing it, and I thought, Okay, if a guy can be in this good shape and seem to have the quality of life he has and do what he could do with a microscope and make babies where otherwise men and women couldn't have babies.
Speaker 5: This is what I gotta do. So that's my intro.
Speaker 2: Jay, I'm grateful to you for bringing me into this field when you know, all of about thirty years ago, when you were fifteen or so, you were doing surgery at that early age. Because you still look like you're about to save as what I saw you all those years ago.
Speaker 5: So welcome to the mailroom.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks, Jesse. A couple of things you didn't point out. One is that it took me eight years to do most people doing six. So most people do five years of urology residency, one year of fellowship. I did six and two. So I was definitely on the you know, the slower track. Yes, and uh and uh, you know you you sell yourself short. I mean, Jesse was like one of the star medical students at University of Iowa. We really felt lucky that we conned him or or brainwashed him into becoming one of us. And he quickly left Iowa to go to greener pastures in Colorado and then did his fellowship down in Houston. And now of course he's a legend in in La So I will tell you it is so gratifying when you see somebody that you interacted with early on in their career to watch them just flourish and and you know, become this monster of of you know, not just in urology, but just in as human being.
Speaker 1: So I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: But you know, I guess we're both captains of our of our mutual admiration society.
Speaker 1: So there you go, very happy to be here.
Speaker 2: That's the way it should be. It's it's a wonderful community you're part of, and it is. And again that's one of the main motivations for doing this podcast, not because I don't have enough to do with my day job, but really because we get to let the world know, hey, what a great field we are, and how happy urologists are if you get to if you get the privilege and and onnus of seeing one as a patient.
Speaker 5: But also we love to talk, and we love to we love we're.
Speaker 2: Very social creatures, and that's what we're going to do today. One of the things I left out of your intro because I got so excited, and obviously my mom sent you those index cards.
Speaker 5: You just read off about it, but.
Speaker 2: I do want to say that you actually wrote the AUY guidelines which are American your Logical Association guidelines on vyseectomy. So I couldn't think of a better person not to mention in our own friendship and mentorship story, to talk to the average guy about a vasectomy. And so we're going to have sort of a couple of things that I'm going to ask you, And I think the best thing is, let's start simply tell me who's a candidate for a vasectomy?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 2: Tell me that, Like, pretend I'm a forty two year old guy and I'm walking your office. I mean, I'm an augmous relationship. I have two beautiful young Dodger fans. And sorry about the Brewers by the way, you guys what a scrappy team.
Speaker 1: But let me pull that knife.
Speaker 5: Well, you said, two.
Speaker 2: Young Dodgers times like the pre production stops.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: We do not need any more at these Dodger fans in the world. There's enough already. And my wife is forty one, she's still ovulating, and she said, look, we're done with kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's your turn.
Speaker 2: How does that console work in your practice? Walk me through if I'm in your office.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously most of the patients who come in it's a little bit of a self selection. They've already done at least enough research to know that of a sectomy is something they want to look into. I always tell patients that while we consider this a permanent form of male sterilization, we don't do anything to make it irreversible, and therefore if life changes, we can undo it.
Speaker 1: It's just a much bigger deal.
Speaker 3: So I try to get guys to understand that this is by far the best birth control, but you should go into it thinking that this is it. You don't want to be going back and forth like the like the episode from the Office with snip snap, snip snap.
Speaker 2: Yes, good, good reference, and I'm sure you have more than one of those stories. And oh yeah, thin too, so we'll definitely get it to that.
Speaker 5: So what are the risks?
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you how long it took, but already already threw shade upon you. So tell me, really what you know? What does it look like? So I say, okay, doctor Samlo, you look like the guy you wrote. You wrote the handbook, You've trained hundreds of residents and fellows to do this procedure, so I want you to do it. Tell me what happens next.
Speaker 3: Sure, So typically what I tell guys is it's about fifteen minute procedure. We're going to use local anesthesia to numb you up. I personally like to make two small holes, one on each side of the scrotum. Some people will do one right in the middle of the scrotum. Honestly, that's dealer's choice. My reasons for doing one on each side is that if if you do one in the middle, then that second side has to come up to the exact same hole, and sometimes the vaz doesn't want to move around the same from one side to the other. Also, I like to be able to look at the ends when I'm done at the end of the case, and if you've already done one side, you have to dunk it back down into the scrotum, so you can't really see if there's anything bleeding or oozing. But it's a very straightforward procedure. There's a little pulling, a little tugging, and I don't use any stitches because I am making such a small hole, So we just put a little plastic band aid over each little hole and send you on your way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I do too as well, and I think I trained that way even before I did a fellowship with doctor Lipschultz, but just I had a community urologist in Denver who did a very elegant disseectomy. My reasoning is, and I sure you've seen this, is that because you said in there too, you always us reconstructive, reproductive doctors do things. We're going to take things apart like we'd want to put them back together, exactly. And so how many times have you gone in to do a reversal where you've got a hivasectomy site which is very favorable on one side, and then a clip through the epiditymus or as low as you possibly can on the other. Yeah, And my argument is that right if you're swinging the same testicle up through the incision, you're never going to get it in that same high site. So that if a guy every wants to change his mind, that's it. But also concern about hemotoma. But I also like what you said, just so we're not throwing our one incision urology buddies under the bus, is that it is dealer's choice. The goal is to go some place where guys are you know that have done so many in the way that they're going to do it right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have seen several patients in my career though where because it was done through a midline. I won't even say the urologist, the viseectimist caught the same side twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, I've seen that as well. And then that's one of the that's actually one of the questions we're going to go. I'm going to go do next is what can go wrong with the vasectomy? And actually, before I even ask you that, how successful is it? So if a guy found that same forty two year old guy, I say, great, you know, the wife is pulling the goalie, there's no more idd.
Speaker 5: There's no more diaphragm. It's your work.
Speaker 2: Against you know, of eighteen year college fund. What is the you know what, what is the success rate of this procedure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's actually two different things you have to look at. There's an early failure rate where the two ends actually will heal back together in the first four to six weeks. That's called early recannualization, and that happens in about one in five to one in six hundred vaseectomies. So I'm all, I'm very you know adamant with my patients. We don't even want to check your sement at your post posectomy seem analysis till it's been at least eight weeks, because there's really good evidence that after eight weeks, the likelihood of those two ends coming back together is less than one in two thousand and now. That number comes from the literature. I'll tell you, at least in my own practice, it's even lower than that. I have seen on occasion patients who have had what we call these late recare analizations years later. To be honest, I haven't seen any for my own patients, but I have seen it from people who did very good vasectomy, So I don't think anything was done wrong. But the body's natural reaction to any surgery is to try to heal, and we know when we do reversals. Often when you find one end of the vas deference, you can find the other end just by pulling up on that first end, because there'll be a piece of scar tissue connecting the two ends, and that scar tissue can have little micro channels running through it.
Speaker 1: That's how some of those late failures happen.
Speaker 5: I've seen that. I've seen that in ther yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a guy years ago who actually was coming to me for one of the other complications, which i'll get your opinion on, in a sect called post vasectomy pain syndrome, And it was the strangest case because he had excruciating pain and he still had a positive Seaman analysis after his second And so I went in. I did the right side. I still remember the laity as most of us that do these, just yeah, world. In my head, right side was fine, just did a simple reversal. And on the left side, as I was getting ready to do it, I actually saw recannulation and it made sense.
Speaker 5: That he was having persistent votal sperm.
Speaker 2: But that my theory, I don't know, you know, I don't there's no way we can prove this, but that in some ways he was having kind of this obstructive pain because all those little sperm were trying to get through this in this little thready channel. But so I had to cut through that channel and then sew together the pipe, you know, the main pipe, in order to reconstruct it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's that's real.
Speaker 2: But I think you're saying basically that that you know, when you compare that to birth control pills or tubal ligation or condoms, you're still looking at something that's you know, three or four hundred times more successful.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I always remind guys. So I'll have some patients he'll say, God, what in two thousand that sounds like a high failure rate, And I'm like, well, I guarantee you whatever you're using for birth control, now, well this is a lot better. Like that's right, Failure rates for tubal igations like one in seven hundred. So, as you pointed out, tubules are like a really big deal general anesthesia. You're in a woman's belly and you still have a three to four time higher rate of failure than of aseectomy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I think it's as good a peace of mind as we can get when we get that that negative seam analysis. And I like how you said that at eight weeks, which is also in the guidelines that you penned. There are some urologists, I don't know if you used to do this too, where they would say, you know, you should do about ten to twelve to fifteen ejaculations to clean the pipes, And I think that's kind of what's the Japanese and European guidelines that what they don't even do postasectomy sperm testing because it's so successful. The litigation society is a little bit less. There is that is that your thought too or you're ahead and you're also shaking your head.
Speaker 1: Well there, so there.
Speaker 3: There's a guy up in Canada, Michelle Lebreck, who's actually he's a GP he's not a urologist, but he's done a zillion vasectomies. He does more in a year than you know, most people doing their careers. And he was actually on our guidelines panel and he says, to be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that no vasectomy is ever allowed to fail, we wouldn't do post vasectomy semen analyses because the failure rate is so low.
Speaker 1: And it's just.
Speaker 3: That, you know, because because we're doing this procedure on a man, it has to be one hundred percent successful, like there is no room for error period, and you know, if we were willing to accept even the fraction of the failures, I mean, think about a woman who's on birth control, like oral contraceptives five percent failure rate. Nobody bats an eye when someone said they got pregnant, when they're on the pill. But if a I has a pregnancy and he's had of a sectomy, you would think that like, oh my god, the world is coming to an end.
Speaker 5: Right, there's another victim there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well I used to say, you know, about eight weeks, do at least twelve fifteen ejaculations that bring a sample in? And I don't know if this is ever happened to your career, But then i've you ever had that guy that that brought in all fifteen ejaculations in one cup and put it on the counter and said, here, it is a court of a court of semen for the worse to go through. Great, Yeah, what'd you do with that? I kept in the refrigerator this whole time? So yeah, so I tried to get away from that. Uh that that visual for for my nurses at eight ejaculations throw them all away please and then come in with that with that money shot sample to make sure we're good. But but that's great, and so what else can go wrong? So tell me, you know, what are the other things? Why would a guy not want to do of a sectomy other than you know, the fear of a procedure and an otherwise healthy.
Speaker 3: Guy yeah, I think you mentioned the one that is probably you know, always in the back of our minds, and that's post vasectamy pain syndrome. I sort of divided into two different types. There's the obstructive. Basically you've got a closed system that when they ejaculate, the sperm is going into the epidymus, which doesn't have any outlet now because the VAZ has been blocked, and so they feel like their tescal's going to explode. And then there's the more common one, which is what we call neuropathic post vasectamy pain, which is basically just pain from scarring of nerves along the VAZ deference. Some guys are just more sensitive to it. The problem is that there's no way to predict those guys ahead of time. There's a guy down in Florida, Sidjo Para Quattal, who's done a lot of research, some really good stuff, looking at guys who have post vasectamy pain after vasectomy and has found that those men have a different way of healing than the average guy. But you just would never know it. And so while true post vasectomy pain is somewhat rare, fortunately it is and I don't know about you Jesse, But I suspect you're the same way. It's in the back of our head with every patient we talk to because what I always point out to the residence, vaseectomy is one of only two surgeries we do with no direct benefit to the person having the surgery. This is a donor and ephrectomy. You're no better because you had of a sectamy. You're doing this because of your partner, because you don't you know, you want to be responsible for your own reproductive health. But there's no physical advantage to having a vasectomy.
Speaker 2: Right, Actually, that becomes part of my counseling, is that say I'm taking a perfectly healthy person and doing a surgical procedure on them. Yeah, and you're right, and that you know, nothing changes other than one big thing which directly benefits you if you're a responsible person, and then you couldn't carry less. If you're an irresponsible person, you probably wouldn't have the pursuit done in the first place. So so right, it can only you can only have a complication essentially with that in mind. And I think that that counseling is important. But you did bring up a point about obstructive versus neuropathic pain, and I think this is good for listeners too.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if you found this or not.
Speaker 2: I haven't published this, I don't know if anybody has, but but I have noticed and the reversals I do for pain, it does tend to be the vasectomy site is lower, it's closer to the epiditymus and I don't know if that's anybody else has noticed that or not, but I always go back to Laplace's law or the you know, the lower the volume, the higher the pressure, and right there's a period of time where that body has to equilibrate that change right in the spermaff not having to go anywhere. And is that what sets up this obstructive pathology? Which is why I always do my sectemies high in the scroadom, which is also why I do it through two separate pokecals as opposed to one midline, because you can get really high. So you're finding that as well. But what I'm trying to do is kind of build a playbook for our guys out there to you know, what questions should they ask their vseectimists. So maybe we'll just jump right into that and say, okay, so now I've decided to get the procedure. I'm not going to Milwaukee to get this done. I'm not going to LA to get this done. So how does a guy pick the right viseectimist for the job.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly volume.
Speaker 3: You definitely want somebody who you know does ten to twenty to fifty a month, not a year. Yes, you know, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but look online and look at patient you know, reviews and comments. I can't tell you how many patients I get off of Reddit and mom's Facebook, because you know, people talk, and it's not just when things go bad.
Speaker 1: People talk when things are good.
Speaker 3: And you can find some really good, you know, results by by searching those things as well. But I really think that volume makes a difference. That the more you do, the better you are. And you know, if you think about it, if you're not very good, you're not going to be doing a lot because people are going to talk and say, no, you don't want to go to that person.
Speaker 2: That's right. Well, I like how you you brought up too in this world of access to care that you didn't say you had to be a eurologist. In fact, one of our guideline participants is one of the most prolific vaseectimists right in the world, and so experience matters more than pedigree, and I think that's important too, is well.
Speaker 3: The US is one of the few countries where the eurologists do the bulk of the vasectomies. You go to Canada, you go to Europe, you go to Australia, they're all gps that do them. As a matter of fact, those people in those countries will say, don't go to a urologist because the only vasectomies they do are under anesthesia.
Speaker 1: You don't know how to do them in the off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you train your family medicine docks it at MCW or do you do you have training for the primary.
Speaker 1: Care if they request it. In other words, most of them don't want to do it. Say who's got interest? I'm more than happy to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's same here is that we don't have a form relationship with family med But every once in a while we'll get guys that are interest, especially guys that are going into rural California practice. We're somewhere right where the access to urology is limited. So so yeah, that's that's great. I mean, it's you're getting You're getting it out there, so great. What about some of the myths with vasectomy. Talk to me about the guy always asked, do I still ejaculate? We can do this rapid fire, so techt to me, he said.
Speaker 5: So I hear it.
Speaker 2: If I have a vasectomy, I'll never ejaculate again. Is that right, doctor Sandlow? No, that's that right.
Speaker 3: Because most of your seamen comes from your prostate, your seminal vesicles, which are glands behind your bladder. The amount of fluid actually coming from your testicles is really small compared to your ejaculate volume. So if you measured it, there might be a little bit less, but it's not like you're gonna You're not gonna have a big puff of air when you ejaculate.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And I tell the patients that you know, without a microscope in front of me, I couldn't tell the difference between a semen sample from a guy that post vasectomy or that's here for other reasons, And so that that's important.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we busted that myth.
Speaker 2: What about testostern I've heard that vyseectomies will make my testosterone go down because the testicle produces testosterone, need will get blocked up in the tubes with a sperm.
Speaker 1: Right wrong.
Speaker 5: So man, where did I go to medical school?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: University of Iowa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so your testicles and your your pituitary glen don't know you've had a vasectomy. So your tesco's still cranking out testosterone, they're still cranking out sperm. The sperm just can't go anywhere, so your body just breaks them down reabsorbs them. That's why reversals work, because when you re establish the connection, everything just keeps chugging along like it has been.
Speaker 5: Well, this is great.
Speaker 2: I have a section in all of these podcasts where I like to call it, You're probably going to be okay?
Speaker 5: Or am I going to be okay? So let me run this by you.
Speaker 2: I just had my vasectomy two days ago, and my scrotum looks like a purple grapefruit?
Speaker 5: Am I going to be okay? Doctor Sandlo? What happened? And what should I worry about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I tell my patients you should have very little bruising or swelling after your vasectomy. One.
Speaker 3: I would hope they wouldn't wait two days, But if it suddenly happened.
Speaker 1: I would want them to call.
Speaker 3: One of the things we do worry about not very common, especially with the type of aseectomies that we do, which we call like minimally invasive or no scalpel, is that there's not a lot of bleeding.
Speaker 1: So if you suddenly have this.
Speaker 3: Big purple grapefruit down there, you need to be evaluated for hematomo, which is a big collection of blood in the sack that sometimes.
Speaker 1: Needs to be drained right away. Typically, if we can get to them within the first twenty four to thirty six hours, it's worth draining.
Speaker 3: But once you get to about three or four days, then we just have to let nature run its course and let things resolve on its own.
Speaker 2: So I'll probably be okay, but definitely get evaluated. I think.
Speaker 1: Ye, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: That's the message I was looking for. Is any I always say it's an open door for whatever I do. And the number of times that guys say, you know, even with a little scab on there, SCROWEDIM, I don't know, is this normal. I'm delighted, you know, as annoyed as I can be. Say well, great, let me take a look and make sure it's just a little gab.
Speaker 3: We use my chart for a lot of that stuff where we'll tell guys, you know what, attach a picture to your my chart, and then we can tell you whether or not you need to come in. But I always tell guys, I'm more than happy to see you and reassure you, as opposed to have you stressing for days or you know, like, oh my god, what's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen?
Speaker 5: Yeah? How long am I going to.
Speaker 2: Be out for?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It depends what you're getting back into.
Speaker 2: So okay.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of my vasectomies on Fridays.
Speaker 3: My guys who you know work in an office are obviously back to work on Monday. To be honest, my construction workers go back to work on Monday as well. But I do try to tell guys take it easy for about five to seven days if possible. I do a lot of police officers and firefighters, and I really stress to them five to seven days because they can't be hesitating when they're doing their job. I mean, if I'm walking around like I just got off a horse, it's not a big deal. They've got to be able to, you know, run at a moment's notice or so those guys I do tell that they should take five to seven days off.
Speaker 2: And Packers fans two weeks with as rapid as they cheer. I'm sure you. Yeah, we see two weeks before you get to lambeau Field again.
Speaker 1: Benches.
Speaker 3: The benches at lambeau are all metals, so that's freezing cold cool.
Speaker 2: Right, that's why they haven't changed the seating in sixty years. It's it's for all your post vosectomy guys. I got ye.
Speaker 3: Just last week I had a guy who said, yeah, I'm going to the Packer game this coming Sunday against the Bears.
Speaker 1: Can I go?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, absolutely, It'll be just as good as if you're sitting at home icing at home.
Speaker 2: It's right, it's a whole sand loo section of lambeau Field. Makes sense. Well, this is awesome. I want to ask you, like I ask all my guests. You're especially this is sadly we don't this is radio, so we don't get to see just how amazing you look for your young age. But as a men's health specialist, you know what is your secret?
Speaker 5: What it give me?
Speaker 2: One or two or three things that you have to do every day to be as good as shape so that we can empower our guys out there listening.
Speaker 5: Have had to take tips from the experts.
Speaker 3: A lot of exercise, although, as I will openly admit, I exercise so I can eat. Some people use food to fuel their exercise. I exercise so that I can eat. Honestly, I think a lot of it is I'm really lucky. I love what I do, which really, you know, stress is a huge aging thing, and yeah there's stress at work, but I like coming to work, and I have an awesome wife who takes care of me. So I'm really fortunate. I don't have to come home and then deal with a lot of a lot of junk. So I'm fortunate that and the fact that I've got this really good camera that takes about twenty years off.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 5: It's working.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, you don't look at day over seventy, I mean a fortunate day of a forty.
Speaker 1: I mean, wow, I definitely feel so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are there are days, right, yeah, as our recovery isn't as good. Well, actually, I like the you know, there's a lot of this that you know, you eat to fuel yourself, but but you know, I think we do lose that there is something really delicious about eating too, so that yeah, I had. I had a roommate at UCLA freshman year who was a was a naval academy. He was doing graduate school work and he was the one that actually taught me at a lift and he was enormous, like just so jacked. And I ever told me because I came home once and he's eating three hot dogs in a row, and I was like, Greg, what are you doing? He said, I can eat whatever I want because I work out like I work out, And I thought, well, okay. He was a little more colorful in the language, but the idea is the same that that right, I mean, food is fuel, so if you're going to burn that fuel, by all means do it. So makes sense.
Speaker 5: Well, Jordan, what did I What did I forget? That?
Speaker 2: You know you're the common guy here, You're the voice of our audience that you want to know about vaseectomies that we may not have covered this half hour.
Speaker 4: First of all, I want to say this is probably a bad time to let you know that I get a little squeamish talking about blood. This is probably the first time.
Speaker 5: That's why you're sitting down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sitting down and sort of a little cry right now, Yes, exactly, rocking back and forth. I was really glad you asked about you know, what kind of myths about vasectomies could you clear up, because there are a lot out there, and I want to ask you a little more about I need touched on it a bit about the rumor that vasectomy kills your sex drive, which is, you know, probably the most prevalent one that that I've heard. I just wanted to see if you could shed a little more light onto that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so your sex drive really comes off your testosterone, and since testosterone doesn't change, your sex drive doesn't change. They've actually done some really good studies that have shown that ninety five percent of guys there's no change in their sex drive or their in sexual enjoyment. But there's a small percentage of men who actually have improvement in their sexual and drum because they don't worry about getting somebody pregnant.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you don't have that worry in the back of your head. And so in my mind, and I tell this the patients. Part of the benefit of a vasectomy is the psychological benefit of not having to worry. So I've had guys who their wives are menopausal, they can't get pregnant, and they still want to get a vasectomy. And after I sort of look at them funny and make sure that it's not because they might be stepping out, it makes them feel better that they don't have there's no concern whatsoever that they're going to get their wife or their partner pregnant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there's studies out of Europe years ago too, shows that in a partnered relationship, Yeah, the bido of the partner goes up. And part of that is I think what Jays just said. The other part is that we know in women, long term use of world contraceptives can have a negative effect on the bido. So if you're getting off the pill, then it's it's kind of a win win where you know, the responsible man, which is the guy that gets a paseectomy in the first place, is thinking this is great.
Speaker 5: You know, this is uh.
Speaker 2: And I had a Brazilian patient once it said in Brazil want they do viseectings. It says, you're you're closing the factory and opening a playground, and so I think, uh, I think that makes sense too, right, is that that you know that now this is uh, this is recreational instead of procreational and uh, and that changes. So that's a great it's a great question, Jordan, because we do get that a lot. Well awesome. I don't want to take any more of your time. We're going to have you back very shortly for talk to him all about whatever a guy does change his mind. So that's foreshadowing for the next episode, was what is a the sectum or reversal? Tell you're going to talk us all about just options after of as reversal as well.
Speaker 5: So thanks everybody.
Speaker 2: Out there again, Jordan, thanks for stacking it out with us again and uh and not passing out. I would know have to call nine to one one in Brooklyn in the first place. So I'm glad, I'm glad you got your color back and uh. And we didn't have a medical emergency the last to the last two people you wanted a medical emergency or urologists, especially male reproductive specialists, because other than putting a catheter in there and interpreting a Seaman analysis, we don't have a lot of resuscitative skills. So thank goodness you're still with us, all right. Well, Thank you everybody.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the Maro.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the Maro. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the mail.
Speaker 6: Room with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtog. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by the Heat Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related.
Speaker 4: Questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast are those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health