Speaker 1: Welcome to stuff you should know a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, and we're just gonna play a rousing version of Yankee to do Old Landy or something like that in the background of this stirring episode.
Speaker 1: You got a.
Speaker 2: Picklo, No, I'm just gonna go like this. I'll record a track of do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do and we'll play that on a loop underneath us talking. Jerry said she can do it with editning.
Speaker 1: I'm sure this would be an all time great Okay.
Speaker 2: The reason I want to do that is because as I was reading this, I was what's the word I'm looking for? I'm toying with enthused. That's not it. That sounds like the opposite of how I feel. It is inspiring, but also like, it's just cool that there's this un Well, in a way, it's not cool. It's cool to discover this whole group, this whole cadre of inventors that just are overlooked. That's the uncool part. They've been overlooked. For so long. But there's a bunch of women inventors here in America and around the world presumably, but we're just talking about American ones today that really made some amazing contributions, and especially at first for the first significant amount of time, they really had an uphill battle to get their invention like out there because of just how generally mistreated women were.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, here's a fairly horrifying stat because it was not that long ago, but in the late twentieth century, only about ten percent of all patents were awarded to women and their inventions. And we're going to talk about some of the reasons before we get going on highlighting some of these great inventions and some of these great women. But one reason is just a lot of times, if you were a woman and you had an invention, you had to file it at least the patent under your husband's name, or your brother's or your father's name, or any man in your life that was willing to sign on the dotted line saying yeah, that's my idea, because you can't. You can't grant intellectual property or a patent to my sister or wife or daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember in the Widow's episode we talked about coverture, which was a woman was either essentially an extension of her father while she lived with her parents or her husband after she got married and could not she had no property rights. If you have no property rights, you can't own intellectual property, and therefore you can't have a patent on anything, because that, by definition gives you intellectual property. And that was a huge deal for a while. In addition to that, because women were just generally treated, they also didn't have access to schooling or education, especially technical education that would kind of help those who were already inventive by nature to actually like blossom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what an incentive is there too? If you know that you can't get a patent for something, it's gonna dull your inspiration to go out and try and invent something to begin with, because what's the point. I mean, sure, there's a point to inventing things because you might make the world better, But I think a lot of the drive for invention is also to do with like money, having something in your name and making money on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, But yeah, having something in your name I think is a more sentimental way to put it, for sure, But it does deter it, and I'm sure that was part of the whole thing. I mean, at the very least, women weren't seen as a group that needed, that should be encouraged to pursue these kind of things, if not actively discouraged, and some women face that. There was actually I didn't know about this, but at the Seneca Falls convey and then the suffrage movement that followed, there were a couple of competing groups that were like, we really need to put all of our time and effort behind suffrage, like giving women the right to vote. That needs to be our focus. We need to say, laser focus on that, because that's important. That's the one you think of when you think of the women's rights movement of the nineteenth century. But there's a other group economic feminists that were like, hey, you can have all the voting rights you want in the world, but if you don't have any means of being self sufficient, if you need to be it, it doesn't add up to a hill of beans. I think that was their slogan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a woman named Charlotte Smith who, like you said, she was like, you know, if we want to make real advances, then how about and she eventually came to the invention part of it, but how about property rights and intellectual property rights? And then starting in eighteen seventy five, she really focused in on inventors and invention and getting patents and getting the patent Office to just simply recognize the fact that women were starting to get patents. Was took nine years. It was in I believe eighteen seventy nine she moved to DC started hassling the Patent Office to say, hey, here's all I want. Just give me a list of women inventors period. I think it could inspire other women. We could publish it. So if you could just put together that list, you got the list, put it together for me, and they said sure. Nine years later they came back with women as well. I think she packaged it, but women inventors to whom patents have been granted, And in eighteen eighty eight she published it five hundred copies worth, and that I'm sure was a big game changer as far as like, hey, look it's happening, it's possible, you can do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And while that did kind of open up the floodgates two women inventors seeing like I can do this, there is like a path for me here to take toward inventing. There were women who did have patents in their name prior to this. It was just extremely rare.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, well there were how many were there? Did it? I thought there was a list here?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, the only one that I've come across. I never saw the list of women inventors to whom patents have been granted, but I did see one. I think the first American woman to earn a patent in her name was named Mary Dixon keys Ki Ees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was the first one about ninety years earlier. But it supposedly took four clerks ten days to put this list together, So you know, it was a great thing that Charlotte Smith did. She had a vision that this could be a game changer, and it seems like it probably was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She was like, you can't hide the truth any longer with your Walrus mustaches and your arm guarters. Give me that list, and they did.
Speaker 1: So should we highlight some of these? These are pretty great?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's take a break after this first one, maybe because I want I'm eager to talk about Marie Van Britton Brown. She was awesome. She was born in nineteen twenty two in Jamaica, Queens, New York City, an African American woman who worked as a nurse and oftentimes was working you know, late night shifts, coming and going at odd hours. Her husband, Albert Brown, was an electronics technician. He had odd hours of work too, So how that shakes out is a lot of times Marie van Britton Brown would be at home or come home late at night, be a little worried, and you know, what was a rough neighborhood at the time as to who may become a knocking on her door. So she invented along with her husband's help, but it ended up being kind of the first closed circuit TV system and home security system in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty amazing. It was a bunch of different systems that they put together to create this one complete system pretty much out of the box. It was like a complete security system. But they really had to work with a lack of technology at the time, Like there was no way to pan the video camera that the whole thing was based on. So instead they had four separate peopoles and you could raise or lower the camera to the correct peopole depending on the height of the person on the other side.
Speaker 1: I find that ingenius, great idea, I said, CCTV. So there were television monitors. This camera fed into these monitors. So the idea is that you didn't actually have to go to the door. And even looking through a peepole can be dangerous if someone knows you're just on the other side of the door at that people, they can get you.
Speaker 2: That's what it saysn't the patent application, that's what it said.
Speaker 1: So she had to a remote control that would let her unlock the door from a distance away, and an emergency button a distance away that would alert the police or security in the apartment building. You had these four peep holes, this sliding camera, and two way microphones, so she could actually say, like who's you know, basically what we have now with like ring doorbells and nest doorbells. Yeah, she thought of this idea and her husband helped her pull it off in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the idea of just how ubiquitous this has become. This is like such a commonplace everyday thing now is kind of a testament to what she invented because at the time This was completely revolutionary. There was nothing like this at the time, and she and her husband just invented it from whole cloth. And I think they got patent number three million, four hundred and eighty two thousand and thirty seven. That was the US patent for their closed circuit television security system.
Speaker 1: That's right. She also got an award from the National Scientist Committee. She was recognized in The Times, the paper of record. Sadly she passed away in nineteen ninety nine at the age of seventy six. But it was such a good idea that thirty two subsequent patent applications referenced her original invention and their patent application. So, in other words, great idea.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, you want to take that break, now, let's do it. Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And in things.
Speaker 2: Job in job, okay, chuck. So up next, we're going to talk about a woman named Josephine Cochrane who kind of bucked the trend of inventors and was a wealthy socialite and supposedly the origin of her invention, the dishwasher, the first actual useful dishwasher, came from dismay that her servants washing her fine china that had been in her family since the seventeenth century, that it was getting chipped, and so at first she's like, give me that, I'll do this, And then she was like, oh, doing the dishes really sucks. There's got to be a better way. And she put it off to the side for a while. But then her husband died and left her and her family in debt, and she decided to bring that idea off of the shelf and invent her way out of debt. And that's exactly what she did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, you mentioned this was the first sort of really practical usable dishwasher. There had been other attempts, but you know, there litle clunky literally clunky. They were the kind of thing where like you turn a crank on the side and the dishes are jumbling around. Yeah, well they would break and chip. And she was like, well, listen, this is my original problem is that I have chip dishes here, So why don't we do something mechanical that you don't crank and move those dishes around. She very smartly, at least for her, because she was making something for herself. She measured her dishes and made sure that each compartment fit the dishes very well and stayed in place. Like I said, I don't know that she had the idea that this is going to be a big mass marketed product. Yet she's just trying to solve her problem. And she had a motor powered wheel above a boiler spring soapy water on dishes and got it patent on December twenty eighth, eighteen eighty six.
Speaker 2: Yes, kids, you just imagine the person who came over that hand crank dishwasher demonstrating it, and you can just hear all the dish yeah, breaking inside, frank in it. They're like, I'm sure they're fine in there. This is what it sounds like when they're being washed.
Speaker 1: It rarely happens that way.
Speaker 2: So the eighteen ninety three World's Fair in Chicago, the White City where the Devil in the White City is set, that was a huge kind of like introduction of women inventors in the United States to the world, and Josephine Cochrane was one of them. She debuted her dishwasher at the eighteen ninety three World's Fair and actually won a World's Fair award. So I abbreviated this and I don't remember exactly how it goes. But it has to do with mechanical construction, durability and adapted to its line of work. Oh great, so she knocked out all four of those boxes. Or, to put briefly, best mech construct durable and adapt to its line of work.
Speaker 1: End quote looks strange on a trophy. Hey, she earned it. She earned it, and this little company that she established ended up becoming Kitchen Aid. It was after she died in nineteen thirteen. But hey, pretty big feather in the old burial cap. I guess hotels and restaurants were the first ones to use it because even though it was super handy as a thing, houses didn't have hot water heaters that could kind of sustain that level of output at the time, so you had to have these big giant bowlers and boilers and hotels and stuff that could handle that. But her time would come by the nineteen fifties when those hot water heaters got better. The home dishwasher became a pretty great thing. And I think anyone whoever has lived in a small apartment or his apartment searching a dishwasher was always very high at the top of my list because she didn't always get them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hats off Josephine Cochrane.
Speaker 1: You know you gotta sometimes you run a vacation house. They got two of those things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like two dishwashers, like dish washers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were in like a house on the beach where you know, they want those houses to sleep like twenty people.
Speaker 2: Oh I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Sure, they'll have like sometimes two stoves, two dishwashers, or two sets of washers and dryers and stuff. It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: We got one of those ones that's like one full size washer but broken into two drawers so you can run your dish dishwasher like pretty frequently.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: It works really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like them too, And we can thank Josephine Cochrane for that. It's originated that in a pretty direct way.
Speaker 1: I wonder who came up with the drawer style.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just don't know. Yeah, do you want me to look it up?
Speaker 1: No, that's okay, okay, kid, because we're gonna talk about diapers, right yeah.
Speaker 2: We're gonna move on to an inventor named Marion Donovan who has a bunch of inventions to her name, but the one that she's most famous for is disposable diapers.
Speaker 1: That's right. You know. A lot of times, necessity is a mother of invention. And at the time Mary and Donovan was working at home as a homemaker. And this is after graduating from college and working for Vogue magazine and after inventing things even as a kid. I think in elementary school she came up with a toothpowder that improved dntal hygiene. So Mary and Donovan just had one of those inventor's brains. But while she was working as a mom and at home, she was putting her little babies down right after she changed that diaper for a little nappy time, and that baby would just be so happy they would peel over the place. And with those cloth diapers at the time that you safety pin, that would leak out onto the bed sheets. So now she's got a baby or poopy baby, and you've got a wet or poopy diaper, and then you have wet or poopy sheets, and that is no good. And she said, there's got to be a better way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at the time, there were something called rubber pants already, which is like a diaper made of really thick material that didn't breathe, so you would just pee yourself, and your neglectful parent would leave you to wallow in your own urine and get diaper rash because that stuff wouldn't leak out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think they went over the diaper. It's like a little pair of pants exactly. Yeah, but it would keep it would prevent those leaks from happening. But that didn't mean you didn't still pee yourself, so you would get diaper rash as a result.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'd probably cut off some circulation to the calf and the waistline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they would take you out in one of those death strollers that we were raised in, and you'd spend some time on the jungle gym. That was also related to death because not only were there like rusty edges, there were also hornets nests in the end of every single one of those.
Speaker 1: That's right, So all you have to do is not vibrate those things in your Fine, this onen't just going to stay in place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you just hang from the monkey bars without moving.
Speaker 1: Dead still like a yet, you'll be fine. So she said nuts to all this, ran and grabbed a shower curtain. Cut it. Actually two size and was like, this isn't just a big pair of rubber pants, and sewed it on the outside of the cloth diaper, added some snaps so you didn't need those safety pins, and all of a sudden you had your cloth diaper that could fit inside of a fitted shower curtain.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, I think that's what she started out with, was a shower curtain, but she landed ultimately on something like nylon parachute material. It could generally keep leaks in, but it was much more breathable and so this is not necessarily the dispoper. This is the thing that led to the disposable diaper. She marketed and called it boaters. To her, they looked like boats. I looked at these things. I did not see it, but that's what they were called. It's a catchy, cute little name. And what it was was like an improved rubber pants or rubber like diaper cover, because you still use the cloth diaper in there, but it would prevent leaks, but it was breathable enough that it didn't cause diaper rash. So this called the attention to a lot of people. Apparently it started being sold at sax Fifth Avenue in nineteen forty nine, and the Kiko Corporation came and knocking and said, we'll give you one million dollars for this idea. And Marion just laughed all the way to the bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she said, you know what, that's nineteen forty nine, and these two dopes podcast about me in twenty twenty four h ask me like thirteen million bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is pretty sweet for Yeah, a woman who just invented something out of necessity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it meant she was ra immediately. She got a patent for those boaters nineteen fifty one, and then went to work on what you were talking about, the disposable paper diaper, and did that and it worked pretty well, but it wasn't a big commercial success because the diaper industry didn't get behind it. They were like, hey, you know, this is pretty good, but all that really is doing is keeping you from having to wash cloth diapers over and over, and we don't see the value in that.
Speaker 2: Right, It's an unnecessary convenience.
Speaker 1: Nih get back to work exactly.
Speaker 2: It took ten years then finally Procter and Gamble saw the usefulness in this and came up with Pampers and the landfills of the world just shuddered in expectation.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Some other I said that Mary and Donovan also invented some other stuff too. She invented something called the Zippity do you very cool? Very cool? So it's like an elastic extension that you put onto a zipper so that you can zip your own dress much more easily. Yeah, there's also something called the Big hang Up.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: It came out in the late sixties or seventies, based on the font used in the advertisement. But it essentially took your clothes and turned them the opposite way that you would normally hang them from a hanger. So you would hang it at like a rack from the what is the thing that you hang the hangers on in a closet, the rail, the pole, rod, the rod, thank you, And you would take those clothes and turn them the opposite way so you could fit more clothes front to back and side to side. It was an enormous space saving measure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was basically a grid, like a metal grid, and you could hang anything. So it used paper or not paper clips, clothes pins, right, so you could hang your belts, you could hang a hat, you could hang a pair of boots, You could hang whatever you wanted, what else, and more lots of things. But the point is this one grid could hold like four pair of pants, two pair of boots, seven belts.
Speaker 2: You sure you can hold a pair of boots up with some clothes pins, That's what he had said, all right, They must have been lightweight boots back then. Like maybe they're talking about like Aladdin shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it speaks to the clothespins too. Sure they're not like these woke clothes bends these days.
Speaker 2: So one other thing about Mary and Donovan, if you weren't already spitting with her enough. At forty one, she went back to school and received a degree in architecture from Yale and then used it to design her own house in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Amazing, agreed, Should we take another break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's time.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna come back and talk about grocery sacks right after this and things jogging job. All right, we promised talk of grocery sacks. And you might be thinking, well, did someone invent the grocery sack? And was that person a woman? And why is that a big deal? Because it's just a bag. No, that's not what we're going to tell you. We're going to tell you what a historian named Henry Petrowski told you in an article called the Evolution of the Grocery Bag. And a woman named Margaret Knight, who was another one of these kids who was inventing things from a very very preteen age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she got a job at twelve at a or fabric factory, textile mill, that's what they call it, yeah, cotton mill. And when you're using when you're weaving using a loom in an industrial setting, there's these little torpedo, heavy wooden torpedo things with the steel tip on the end that you use to basically separate the fibers as you're weaving. And the whole thing moves very fast, and if you lose your grip on it, that thing that is called a shuttle can go flying and injure your neighbor at the next loom. Right. So Marion Knight got a job at one of these mills, saw this, that how dangerous this could be, and before she turned thirteen, invented a way to prevent steel tip flying shuttles from flying off of the loom and injuring somebody that became distributed industry wide at all textile mills, that became like a standard part of any loom. She wasn't even thirteen yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also preteen. The age of twelve, she got a patent for a device that automatically just stops an industrial machine if something gets caught up in it. So I mean that every industrial machine on the planet now stops. When your arm gets caught or when something goes wrong, something gets caught in the machinery, they all stop. And that is because of Margaret Knight. Yep.
Speaker 2: So we finally, after years and years of this of coming up with great ideas and implementing them, she's like, I just starting to look into patenting these things. And she got a job ultimately at Columbia Paper Bag Company in Springfield, Massachusetts, and this is where her greatest patent came along. There were paper grocery sacks already, but they were kind of envelope like they didn't do the job very well. Like you know when you buy a greeting card and they put it in that bag that doesn't really do anything. It's just an envelope. It's like a cover for your greeting card to go home with.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, that's what grocery bags were, like paper grocery bags. And she said, we can do way better than this. If we just make a square bottom grocery sack, it'll stand up on its own and as you put stuff into it, the weight will be distributed and you can carry so much more stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were putting can goods in basically envelopes, like total morons, Like total morons. She came along and not only figured out that that was a good idea, figured out how to do it. In eighteen seventy, she built a wooden machine that would cut in, glue, fold and glue these things and manufacture them. She was working on a heavier duty or prototype made out of iron, and some jerk comes along and bald face steals her idea. Like he had seen this thing before. His name was Charles Annon ann An, and he had seen it a few months earlier, went to file a patent. She filed a claim against him, a patent interference suit, and he was like, there's no way that this lady came up with this thing. And she came into court with just reams of the most detailed blueprints and spelled out exactly how and when she invented it, and they went, you're wrong, and she's right, buddy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That thieve and sob Charles Ann and I couldn't see anything about what became of him aside from losing that patent suit and something he should have gotten some sort of come up, and he shouldn't have just been let off the hook for, like you said, bald faced, stealing an idea or an invention that shouldn't be unpunished, you know. But I guess we'll have to go dig them up and have a talking to you with them. That's the best we can hope for at this time.
Speaker 1: We can besmirch his name, I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess we kind of are, but we're not besmirching. I think besmirching indicates a certain level of like exaggeration or you know, Oh okay, that's just my interpretation. I don't know if it's correct or not.
Speaker 1: I've never read the definition, so you're probably right.
Speaker 2: So she won that patent claim and won of the device the patent for the device in eighteen seventy one, and went on to be awarded more than twenty patents in her lifetime.
Speaker 1: Amazing again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way to go, Margaret night boo, Charles Ann and booooooo.
Speaker 1: So let's move on to the windshield wiper because this is a pretty fun one. It was a woman from Alabama. Her name was Mary Anderson born in eighteen sixty six, a long long time ago, long before the car came along. She was visiting New York City and she was on the I guess they were street cars, and she's like, these guys are driving around in rain and snow with their head out the side window because they can't see. They looked like a Sventura pet detective and.
Speaker 2: They would have to stop and get out and wipe the snow off of the trolley windshield like every so often. That was part of the trip, That was part of driving a trolley at the time. And she said, there has to be a better way. So she took this experience back to Alabama and she invented the first windshield wiper. Essentially. It was pretty clever as a matter of fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said, this thing wipe's windshields. I just don't know what to call it.
Speaker 2: So there was a spindle, right, so like kind of like a spool, but with a point on it sticking out of the windshield and attached to it was an arm with a squeegee on it, and the other side of the spindle that went into the car was attached to a cord that had a handle in the car, and when you pulled the handle, it operated the spring mechanism that made that windshield wiper go back and forth and it would reset and then the next time you needed to clear off your windshields, you just pulled it. No stopping, no getting out, no sticking your head out of the car, like ace Ventura. It could all be done within the car, and in I think very short order. Cadillac I think ten years after she got the patent for this, Cadillac started making wind shild wiper standard on their cars starting in nineteen twenty two. So that was all Mary Anderson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, it was more like twenty years, but still it was the first. It was the first thing to roll off the line. Is something you didn't have to ask for. What do you call those options?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't an option, it was standard. That's nineteen years later. Uh.
Speaker 1: And she also would go on to build and manage an apartment building in Birmingham, made some good money doing that, and said, I'm going to California, And she went out to Fresno and operated a cattle ranch at a vineyard, yes, in her later years.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, though, on the way out there, she got a punch in the nose and it started to flow. She thought for a second that she might be sinking, but she made it out. Okay, Oh man, it's on the tip of my tongue.
Speaker 1: Uh, led up one. Okay. It was one of those. It was like it was rattling in my head and I heard it and I heard it. Oh God, that's frustrating when those never come, you know, I'm glad that it came. Then I just saw this, uh this weather person who does the weather on the news. Sure, and I guess is a Pearl Jam fan and inserts Pearl Jam lyrics into his weather report. Oh yeah, on the rag it was pretty fun.
Speaker 2: What news national?
Speaker 1: Local? I think it was a local news. I didn't catch the city. I mean maybe Seattle.
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha. So you saw this on like like the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was on the internet. I wasn't just watching the news.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if you were like talking about in Atlanta news person, I'm like, why aren't you telling everybody who.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I don't. As we know, I don't watch the local news. But what I do enjoy occasionally on tour is watching local news wherever I am, if it happens to be on Sure, I don't seek it out, but it's kind of fun when you hear about.
Speaker 2: Car work going on nearby.
Speaker 1: Exactly a car rick in Boston. Very fascinating, right, everyone was okay.
Speaker 2: Though, That's good. That's usually how it pans out on the news.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about car heaters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chuck, I think this might be the last one, right, I think? So, okay, Well, let's talk car heaters because Margaret Wilcox Margaret A. Wilcox, my apologies, invented the car heater as you know it today, the car heater decades before there was such a thing as cars. W Yeah, she invented the car heater for railway cars. Because when she came along and reached I think her late twenties has sort of been the eighteen fifties eighteen sixties, rail travel was still pretty no frills for most people. Like you see that one railcar that the millionaire has, and it's like all outfitted and beautiful, like velvet and there's oil lamps and everything. Most people's experience was nothing like that. And in fact, especially during cold like cold months and cold climates, you would be freezing in the railway car. And Margaret Wilcox went stood up and said, enough enough of being cold. Let's get warm everybody. And they said, invent it, Margaret, and she said I will, I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: They said, what is warm? Even we forgot this is in Chicago, So you know, she had plenty of experience in the cold.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine how cold it was.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I mean it's like now, but maybe colder. With no break, no heat, you just stayed cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean people's roofs collapse in Chicago in the winter because it gets so snowy, and that would indicate it gets pretty cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. So she's like, hold on a minute, I know that they're shoveling coal up there. Those guys are sweating up there in the engine room where freezing er took us off back here? What do we gotta do to get some of that heat back here? And shockingly, no one had ever thought of that the fact that there was heat on board that train in Spain, and all you had to do was send it back to the what do you call them passenger cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's essentially what she did. She figured out how to pipe engine heat back to the passengers. There were some problems with this invention the train car heater. One was there was no way whatsoever to regulate this heat. I mean, I imagine you could open the windows when you needed to, but it would just get hotter and hotter and hotter in the rail car. And that was kind of a problem, but I think it was still preferable to the cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now is where I introduce you to my first car as a sixteen year old. Talked about it before nineteen sixty eight, Volkswagen Beatle. Sure, and if you ever run those old volkswagens, you know they had heat that I like to refer to as the ankle burners.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Same concept as Margaret Wilcox's heat idea. H those Oldvw's would just pump heat straight from that rear engine out these little vents on the floorboard right by your ankles. And there was at least in the sixty eight that I had. There was no way of regulating it. I think at a seventy five later on that had like a little lever that you could, you know, bring in a little bit of the cool air too.
Speaker 2: It just opened the passenger door.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. But I had a hole in my floorboard too, so that up that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you said that, and I'm sure when you've told me that before, I told you that my dad had a hole in his floorboard of his Malibu when we were kids.
Speaker 1: So right, less just sit there and watch the world go by under your face, right.
Speaker 2: So, Uh. Margaret Wilcox's idea was implemented in train cars more importantly when automobile engineers came along and started inclosing cars, because you know, the first cars were all open, there was no roof. Yeah, as they started doing close them, they're like, we could control the climate in here. We need some sort of climate control mechanism. And they looked around and they found Margaret Wilcox's patent for transmitting engine heat to the passenger compartment. And over time they kind of refined it and it got more and more advanced to where now there's hot coolant that's heated by the engine that transfers that heat to the cabin air when you turn the heat on. Even more amazingly, you can you can adjust the heat the temperature by letting in colder outside air without even opening your windows.
Speaker 1: That's right, And she got a patent for this thing. Eighteen ninety three. She received a patent. Obviously, there were women were able to get patents by that point, and she was on a pretty short list.
Speaker 2: At least one hundred.
Speaker 1: Was there a hundred? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Remember one hundred women? Who had the list of one hundred women who were inventors that had patents that the Patent.
Speaker 1: Office created, and it called one hundred women.
Speaker 2: I guess not. No, you're right, I wonder what the list was.
Speaker 1: I gotta get that list.
Speaker 2: I mean, it had to be decent size. It took four clerks ten days to compile the list.
Speaker 1: But they had to go through all the patents period though, to get that list. So yeah, yeah, who knows, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, she was on that list eventually, that's right. Or actually that's not even true either. The list came out a couple of years before she got her patent, five years before, so it's completely moot. But there is one other mention about her too that I love. She had some other ideas that she patented, unfortunately not in her name, because this was before women could have had property rights for a combination clothes dishwasher.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: It's the same time. Maybe the same time. If so, there's really gross. Yeah, but it's still also very clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, you don't want your you don't want your champagne glass being watched next to your bloomers.
Speaker 2: No, especially if they're so because you drank too much champagne. Oh gosh, you got anything else?
Speaker 1: I got nothing else?
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, since Chuck affirmed that he has nothing else, I think everybody, it's time for listener man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna call this misunderstanding from episode titles. Okay, And I should say that we had a wonderful young woman in maybe DC. I think it was DC that said that she was a bird enthusiast and that she was all excited about the Cranes episode and then realized it was construction Cranes. That's why we've titled things like our Nirvana episode. I think it was Nirvana, not the band sure, so we do stuff like that. We try to be clear, but not always.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we're purposely obtuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like you might want the bird crane and then be delightfully surprised or disappointed, right exactly. Hey guys, I'm in and out, but og all the time. Stuff you should know has stayed with me as a weekly listen ever since I heard the Jellyfish app. I consider myself well versed in the English language and American pop culture, but every now and then, titles of the episode set me up for quite the surprise. I should probably read the descriptions for the episodes, yes, but I'm going to listen regardless of what's the point. For example, Hobo Signs, I thought it was about handwritten signs that hitchhikers make, or someone saying will work for food, or the end is messed what I think it was probably supposed to be the end is near.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was some weird a auto correct.
Speaker 1: I like the end is mess though, IM gont it? That should be a T shirt? Sure, I like that to my delight as a ux designer. It was about iconography and communication even better than those cardboard signs. The last episode about conductors. I know what's coming. I thought it was about train conductors, and the tagline what the heck is going on there was referring to their mindset when they're patrolling in the aisle and train station, like an American equivalent of the British what's all this? Then? I was also hoping that it was not about electric conductors because I really wanted a train episode. Turned out I was wrong once. Thanks for all the great knowledge that is from Morton Laggerud in Norway.
Speaker 2: Great name, Morton, Thank you for listening to us all these years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have we done one on just trains?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, that seems like a big, big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a big asmr sid too.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry everybody hopefully Mesiphonia side.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we could try to do one on train. Sometimes we just have to figure out how to condense it. Can't get into electric trains, I'll tell you that, by God, no way. Well, if you want to be like Morton and let us know some hilariousness that comes from our titles or something we said, or just something you thought of. We love hearing stuff like that, you can send it to us in an email to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.