Speaker 1: Are you feeling stressed about the holidays? The pressure to make everything perfect, the tricky family gatherings, trying to keep everybody happy, and for some of you it's the opposite, it's the feeling of being alone. Either way, it's a lot. So if you're feeling overwhelmed, know that many others feel the same way. But this year can be different. Join me in the one you feed community for a free online event on December tenth at twelve pm Eastern. You'll learn a simple wise habit that can help you let go of holiday stress and find more peace, steadiness, and real connection. Picture yourself getting through this season feeling grounded, present and clear without all the pressure to be perfect. Give yourself this free gift of support, learning and genuine connection with others who get it. Sign up now at oneufeed dot net slash holiday. If you're unable to attend live, we'll be sending the video to people who have registered. So go to oneufeed dot net ss slash holiday and change the way you experience the holidays.
Speaker 2: Mostly with people who postpone a lot of things. When you ask them, when they are satisfied, they have a very very high standard. They want to do everything very perfectly. That makes them that it's never the right condition to start.
Speaker 3: Wow, welcome to the one you feed Throughout time, great thinkers have recognized the importance of the thoughts we have. Quotes like garbage in, garbage out, or you are what you think ring true, and yet for many of us, our thoughts don't strengthen or empower us. We tend toward negativity, self pity, jealousy, or fear. We see what we don't have instead of what we do. We think things that hold us back and dampen our spirit. But it's not just about thinking. Our actions matter. It takes conscious, consistent and creative effort to make a life worth living. This podcast is about how other people keep themselves moving in the right direction, how they feed their good wolf. Thanks for joining us. Our guest on this episode is Paul Luman's, a founder and coach at Unraveling Stress in Amsterdam, where he works with individuals and groups, helping them to regain a sense of calm in their lives. Paul has been a zen monk since nineteen eighty four and runs the European Zen Center in Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: Hi, Paul, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to have you on. We are sitting in a studio in Amsterdam. Yes, And I was talking to an old friend of the show, Oliver Berkman, last week, and as we were talking he mentioned you and said that you were in Amsterdam and you were both a Zen monk and wrote a book about time management.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: As a longtime Zen student myself, I thought, well, I've got to meet this guy, and I emailed you and like the next day, here we are sitting in a studio. So thank you for being so easy to show up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's marvelous. It's marvelous that you see an occasion and you jump in it. That's also time serving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also Zen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into your book, which is called time Surfing, but before we do, we'll start like we always do with the Parable.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: In the Parable, there's a grandparent who's talking with their grandchild and they say, in life, there are two wolves inside of us that are always at battle. One is a good wolf, which represents things like kindness and bravery and love, and the other is a bad wolf, which represents things like greed and hatred and fear. The grandchild stops and they think about it for a second, they look up at their grandparents, they say, well, which one wins, and the grandparent says, the one you feed. So I'd like to start off by asking you what that parable means to you you in your life and in the work that you do.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a nice question.
Speaker 2: What do you do with the things in yourself you don't like or you think it should change it? And most of the people are starting a battle with them. And when you battle with your weaknesses, with the things you don't want, you make them stronger. So I would say accept them, accept them and try to know them very well, and to become friend with them, to not see it anymore as a wolf, but to see it as a friend. A friend who might be afraid of something, might not know something, might want to go in another direction, and you look at him and you try to understand him, and then you say, well, come we go.
Speaker 4: Nevertheless, we can do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the same you do with the other one, because the other one, I think it's much more right to become in a relationship with your intuition, and your intuition sees your fear, but seees also your courage and taking part of everything that's in you. Your intuition says to you, go there, and that's the leading one in your system.
Speaker 1: We'll get to intuition later on. Yeah, but first, you're a long time zen monk, an intensive practitioner for thirty years now, forty years now? Tell me about a zen monk writing a book about time management. How did those two things connect?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: When you practice zen meditation, you deal a lot with time all the time. All the time you deal with time. You're sitting without moving, facing a wall with your eyes half closed. You let things pass by. In fact, the only thing there is is time. Time passes by, and you see what yourself you are struggling with the time. Are you embracing the time? What is your relationship with it? Can you forget the time? And time is like the beats of your life? You have a lot of beats in your life. It are small items you are all the time. We are in an item now and afterwards you will be in another item. And how are they colored? Which is the color of your item? And can you accept this color and live it? Live it completely?
Speaker 1: Yep, the analogy you just made there, I just want to share it with listeners. And you make it in the book at a variety of different places. Is that if you think of a necklace, right, each bead on there is a little thing of time.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yeah, exactly, And well I brought this. It's a case of this is what we were during sales and this. When you are a monk, you make one way yourself. It takes maybe to make it. I'm very slow. It took me one and a half year my first case. Have to saw it, and it's made me very small points. So you make point after point after point after point, and every point is concentrated because you see the line you make on it. You could say it's concentration. It's concentration, or better you could say it's attention. And you wear this like for a monk. It's the most important thing you possess. You could even say it's the only thing you possess. You take care of it, You take care of it above everything else. It's a rule, of course that you take care of it. But it's also you feel it like that the more you are sitting practicing zen meditation, the more it becomes important. This growth to you and it seems material, but it's not material. It's your entrance in the practice, it's the way you practice, it's you, it's your soul, or it's.
Speaker 4: The cosmos if you want it.
Speaker 2: To more important than everything else that you can could possess, and it's nothing.
Speaker 4: It's just attention, attention.
Speaker 1: And so practicing meditation got you thinking about time. I've set a lot of zz enz and meditation and long sessions, you know, longer retreats, and yeah, all you have is time. Sometimes time is flying by, sometimes you don't notice it. Sometimes it is going so painfully slow, but you're just like when when is this over? So you get a real opportunity to work with that. So how did that translate into youth thinking about how people manage their time outside of a sitting practice.
Speaker 4: Well, which is beautiful in the way we practicing.
Speaker 2: So I'm a zen monk, but we are as investigated in the social life as in spiritual life. So at that moment that I started thinking closer about time, I was an actor and a director of physical theater.
Speaker 4: I had a family with three young children.
Speaker 2: I was responsible for a Zen center, European Zen Center in Amsterdam, so I had a lot of things to do. Yeah, and to not forget anything. I made lists, and my lists they were very detail ild, and that shows something from me, that shows my approach to not forget anything, to be very responsible. I had three lists, one for the acting poll, one for meditation, and one for the family. So I saw myself each evening navigating between my lists and there all this I have done. That's good, and oh I wouldn't forget this. And I was trying to finish, to have everything done. That was my motive. I did a step back and I thought, is this what I want. I'm teaching people in the Zen Center to be more close to themselves, and I am just trying to finish all the things that I'm doing that one day I can say I've finished, I've done everything. And then I thought, no, this is not what I want anymore. What I want is I want to live out of calmness. That's a starting point. I wanted to live out of calmness, and I knew it was possible because in the Zen you know people who live out of calmness. The end does give this a little bit to you of some people. More as I know several people who lives out of calmness, they are always, always ready. You ask them a question and they are ready for you, and they have nothing in their head?
Speaker 4: What is their secret? How do they do? And that's what's the starting point from my research with time surfing.
Speaker 1: You say that time surfing is intended to transition us from control to trust.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Trust is a very interesting thing because it's something I think about a lot in what can we trust? Yes, so in the time surfing model, what is it when we make this transition that we are trusting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's a very important question because I would say that's the beginning and the end of time surfing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Trust and time surfing shows you how you can approach life that you can trust because trust needs some conditions to trust. If you don't know what is going to happen, it's difficult to trust. You can trust and you can go in, but it's better to know a little bit what everything concerns. And everything is dealing with time surfing. When you take all these actions you can do in life. What time serving does do? Is this item? I want to work on it. This is important for me. Okay, look closer, look closer what it is, Look closer to the continents of this What you want to do and ask yourself questions so that you very well know it, and then the moment you know it, you can let it go. And you do this with every action in life, with everything you want to realize in life. You're looking close until the moment it becomes a friend of you, you know it very well, and then you let it go. And the trust comes at the moment that you are going to decide what am I going to do now? And then I can trust my intuition because my intuition will choose out of all this actions, all these things I want to realize in my life, and because my subconsciousness knows them very well, and so my intuition can choose out of all of them what he thinks that is the best to do now at this moment.
Speaker 1: At first listen or first read of that, my mind has fifty objections. Yes, however, that's the last step in time surfing, is this ability to let your mind surface what you want to work on. Let's not start at the end. I know it is the beginning and the end, but let's walk through the seven instructions, yes, so that we can get to a place where that is going to make a little bit more sense.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So the first instruction is a straightforward one, a very zen one, which is to do one thing at a time and finish it. Say a little bit more about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an instruction, but it's also a condition. If you want to experiment calmness, it's a condition just do one thing when you're doing two things. Right now, I'm talking to you, and there is coming some person in and each time I have to say in something you're not calm. You're not calm, and you won't be effective. It's a condition, and it's very simple condition. And the last part of this instruction is very important.
Speaker 4: Finish it.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do something and it's ready, and the last part is finish it. Finishing can be what do I want to do with this in the future. Finishing can be I clean the table and make an empty space, but finish it, because when you finish it, there comes new room for new space for the next bad.
Speaker 1: If the big bad that we're trying to create, say something like writing a book. Yeah, you're not going to sit down and finish the book. You're going to finish some part of the book or some chunk of time that you work on the books exactly say, how we think about that with these tasks that are bigger than like clean out the closet, right, Okay, do that finish?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: A lot of things that we do in life are projects more than their tasks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I will give you an example, and this example that shows really how time surfing is working. For example, I write every Tuesday morning, I write a small article about something that I met, something about stress, some experience I had in this week. Every Tuesday morning at eleven o'clock, that's the deadline.
Speaker 4: It's finished. I start working on this during the week. I see if there.
Speaker 2: Are some occasions, some possibilities, so I think, oh, this could be possible, Oh that could be possible. I could I could write about this experience. I could write about that, But I don't decide. And then comes Saturday, Sunday, and then at a moment and everybody is gone and the house is completely silent. I'm going to sit at my desk and I write it, and it comes immediately. I'm sitting and I decide what I'm going to do. I write it down, and in three quarters of an hour I've written the text. I finish it and I close it. And then comes Monday, and Monday I look at it again. And when I look at it again, then I clean it up and I write some other sentences and it's better and it's finished. And then the last part is I have to put it in the program, and the program they'll send it to everybody.
Speaker 4: There's really time serving each part of it.
Speaker 2: For each party is do one thing at a time and finish it for each part of it. But all these parts together they make a project. And you see also in the beginning part that I let simmler things in my subconsciousness and I let my intuition decide what I'm going to do. And that's why on Saturday or Sunday, it's very easy for me to choose something because it has already simmered in my subconsciousness before.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like part of this is again, if what we're trying to be is more calm, which is what part of time surfing is intended to do, is to make us more calm. Some of that calmness descends upon us by trying to do one thing at a time, so that our attention is a little bit more focused and it has a chance to be a little more settled.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly what is so beautiful is when you act out of calmness. I never put productivity in front of what I wanted to do to be more productive, more effective.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do everything out of calmness.
Speaker 2: And what is so beautiful is when you act out of commness, you become more productive. You are much more productive. When I was time starting, I was much more productive than I was before with my lists because I did.
Speaker 4: Do things at the right moment.
Speaker 2: My choices were better, I was more opened, I was more creative. I could also think this is not so important that let it go. My decisions were more clear.
Speaker 1: So instruction too is to be aware of what we are doing and accept it. Yeah, tell us about this one.
Speaker 2: That's the Zen instruction. Okay, you're recognize it. No, the n instruction is in the Zen temple. You have the afternoon and we have and Samu, that's the work we do for the temple.
Speaker 1: Work practice, yeah, work practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's one person who says who wants to clean the toilets and then put your hand on and say I want to clean the toilet okay, and we need three persons to work in the garden.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I'm waiting until the garden comes up. I'm letting the toilet go by. And when they say garden, my hand.
Speaker 2: Goes up very good. But for a zen monk, it's all the same. It's all the same. Are you working in the garden or working in the kitchen or cleaning the toilets? What you are going to do is you don't do it in practice, But it is as if you close your eyes and you say, this is the most important thing I'm going to do in my life, and then you open your eyes and you start doing it calmly, with an open mind, and then you enjoy it.
Speaker 4: You don't think you I still have to clean another toilet.
Speaker 2: No, you just make it clean and see, Okay, it's well done, and you're satisfied about the work you have done.
Speaker 1: Yes, you say in this instruction number two, it's useful in the beginning to intentionally name the activity, so to be very clear about what we're doing. I am cleaning the toilet, I am writing my article. Why is this naming important?
Speaker 4: It helps?
Speaker 2: It helps because we as human beings, we are so in the future. Oh, I'm doing this, but I still have to do that and afterwards. I have to do that all the time, thinking about the future and naming the action. I'm now on my bike going home. That means that you're.
Speaker 1: Biking, yes, and not trying to come home, right, biking yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You also talk about elevating his tasks to an art form.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what's happening. When you repeat tasks. A lot of times they become art when you, for example, well, I think everybody knows that with the way he puts all the stuff into the washing machine. You know, and in the beginning you put them like this, but at a certain moment you want to have you want to have them like this because that's the way it works the best, and it becomes art.
Speaker 1: This becomes a source of dispute in many partnerships, the proper way to load the dishwasher. I think here's art. I'm modern art. She might be more impression impressionistic, or you know, a more classical Dutch art Rembrandt right.
Speaker 4: Or ironing.
Speaker 2: When you're ironing, like it do to do ironing, I'm not so good at it, But this time i'm ironing, I have my way of doing it. I'm just and I try to become better in it, and I have my way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's strange with things like that or cleaning, because I notice there's sort of a natural aversion to doing them. But if I pay attention while I'm doing them, I noticed that it's actually very pleasant.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would think my brain would update and be like, oh, this is enjoyable, and it sort of does. But there's still a little resistance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, jump off with this resistance, it's good to name the action. Okay, at a certain moment, you don't need to name anymore because it becomes a habit that whatever you do, you jump into it. But in the beginning, you can feel resistance with some actions, and then it's good to name them.
Speaker 1: So onto instruction three, which would be to create breathers between activities, alternate times of focused attention with moments where we let go of focus.
Speaker 2: I always say to people, when somebody asks me what is the most important instruction of the seven, I would answer I can't say you need them all seven, but when I have to make a choice, I will choose the third one about the briefs. It's the most important one because when you don't do the briefs, the briever is such a source of everything else. If you don't do them, you're much less creative. You don't have a view about everything you want to do. The intuition doesn't work anymore. The brief is giving this all to you. A briefer is also it gives you you have done something intensely. Afterwards, you want to breathe out, and the best way to breathe out is to do something where you don't need to be focused. Because when you do something where you are not focused, for example, cleaning something or making a cup of tea, or you do something where you are not focused, your mind starts simmering. You call it simmering. Your mind starts simmering. And this simmering you have ideas and you think, oh, yes, this I want to remember, Oh yes, this I want to do later, and this I shouldn't forget. And at the same time you become calm. So you have done. You have given a lot of energy, and during the brief it's as if the energy comes back to you, and very quickly. So in my courses they last for two hours and then after sixty seventy minutes, I say we now stopped for five minutes, and then I explained to people, what's a briever. So I said, don't take your phone. Don't take your phone, avoid communicating with other people. Just take a briefer. Go stand for the window, go cleaning something, go to the toilet, go outside, just for a couple of minutes. And then people come back and they are fresh. They are fresh, and they have understood much better what we have done just before.
Speaker 1: I find this to be a really important one. Also, I'm working on a book, and the way I do it is I write for thirty minutes, yes, and then I get a little thing that tells me it's thirty minutes. If I feel like I'm really in it, I'll just allow myself to go a little longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If it gets to an hour, then I'm like, okay, time to get up, time to do something different to sort of replenish that energy. I have something I can't decide if it's a bad habit or not. I think it well, sometimes it is, which is One of the things I like to do for a breather is to play Solitaire on my computer. The reason I like to do it is it for me the mind turns off, but it doesn't serve the purpose of getting me away from my computer and my screen. So I try and make myself sort of get up and take a walk or do something like that. But sometimes that works for me as just my mind goes somewhere semi blank.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, what's important with the instructions of time serving? That are no rules? Okay, it are just indications.
Speaker 2: For example, I like playing chess, and often when I've done something, I make a chess puzzle and by the chess person I'm really concentrated because if not, they cannot find it.
Speaker 4: But afterwards I take a briever. Yeah, yeah, so I do both.
Speaker 1: Yep ye. Instruction four is a really interesting one and I really like it. It makes a lot of sense to me. Says give your full attention to drop ins, creating a relationship with everything you want to do. When something unexpected happens, take it seriously rather than rejecting it. So let's talk about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also a real send instruction because people in CEN they don't study this nowhere is the rule is written on the wall.
Speaker 4: But because of the end practice, people are open.
Speaker 2: And so when someone knocks on the door, when someone is coming and asks you a question, and what do you want?
Speaker 4: They are open to something else.
Speaker 2: And when we are working, it can be that you are working and you're really in something and you're really concentrated and you have creativity and everything. You don't want to be interrupted. At that moment, you do everything to not be interrupted. You close the door and you say we are here, we are talking. But if it happens that someone comes in and says, ex use me, Paul, I know you're busy. I have a question, then I say one moment, one moment, I finish my sentence. Yes here, I can stop, yeah, tell me, And then the person will tell me what is going on and why he interrupts me. And then I will think, am I going to do this now or am I going to do this in the future. So when it's a short question, I will tell him, yeah, it's okay, you can do it. When it's a bigger thing, I say, okay, I understand you, but I want to finish this first. So let's say, when do you have time? Can we see this in two hours? Maybe so, but I give him full attention so he feels himself hurt.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And also because I switch one hundred percent, I can very easily come back to what I was doing. Yeah, I can very easily find the same creativity, et cetera again when I would have been into in between the both. Oh you ask me a question, yes, what is it? And I'm still working on so at my own screen stress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find this one is really interesting because it ends up not being good for either person. Like someone interrupts me and I'm trying to give them half my attention, keep half my attention on what I'm doing. They're not feeling like they're heard, right, so it's not good for them, and I notice it in myself. I get irritated. Yes, I feel irritated when I do sort of what you're suggesting, which is stop, say okay, hang on a second turn and give them my attention. That works much better. I mean, I'll notice it. Like I'm just sort of let's say I'm reading in the morning. My partner Ginny finds something really interesting as she's doing her reading or whatever, and she says, Hey, I had a tendency in the past to sort of listen and sort of keep doing what I was doing, And I've learned. I don't do it perfectly, but I've learned a little bit more to stop turn and either say, oh, tell me about it, or to say, like you said, this isn't a good time right now. I'd love to hear it, but could I hear it later kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing, exactly, A very good explanation of the fourth instruction.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the things I noticed in the past was when there are multiple things coming at me at once, I get very irritable. And so by doing sort of what you're suggesting, like just trying to not do three of them, do one, then two, then three, that internal irritation seems to drop down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just before you have paid some attention to one and to two, because you're doing three, which you paid some attention to the other two, which will come later, and because you gave them attention, they come down inside of you. Yeah, that's also the fourth instruction. The instruction is also drop ins. Give full attention to drop ins in your head.
Speaker 1: So when your mind interrupts you with something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for example, there would be I would say, oh, I must not forget this evening. I have to that's a drop in in my head. Yes, So then I have to drop in my head and I look at it and I think Oh yeah, I'm going to do this. Not I have to do it, but oh yes, I'm going to do this later, okay. And then I return so I give also the drop ins in my head full attention. Then they go into my subconsciousness.
Speaker 1: Which leads us into instruction five, which I'm just going to read the sentence and let you explain it. Beware of nine rats and transform them into white sheep.
Speaker 4: Yes, what does that mean? Reds?
Speaker 2: When my children were young, we had rats. Reds are very nice animals. Okay, one red who had died, and we had just still one red left. And she was coming into our kitchen and it was Mia was her name. And she came into our kitchen and looked and so and then she saw the meal of the cat, and she took the meal of the cat and put it into her mouth, not eating it, but putting it into her mouth and hiding it somewhere at her places.
Speaker 4: And then that evening we couldn't find her back. She was disappeared. Mia.
Speaker 2: Where's Mia? Well, never mind, we're going to sleep. We will find her tomorrow. And we slept. In the middle of the night, I woke up and I heard under the bed knack knack knack knack. She was eating the meal of the cat. Yeah, under the bed. So it awakes you, and things you postponed, they awake you. They are like g knowing reds. They awake you in the night. In the night you awaken you say, ah, I have to still to do this. How can I resolve this? And I should have done this already. You start blazing, aiming yourself that you didn't do it, and knowing reds transform them into white sheep. And you do this by the books gives a manimal for it. You ask four questions, but the four questions they are in fact go and look at your knowing red, going to look at it and look at it from all sides, and become friend with your g knowing Red. And when you do so, it transforms it has there's nothing be done. There's nothing done. It's not being executed. But you have another relationship with you'r g knowing Red. And for me, then it's a white sheep. It doesn't harm you anymore. It's there. You know it's there. You know it's not done, but it will be done in the future sometime, at some moment, at the right moment, it will be done in the future, so it has you have the relationship from a sheep that walks behind you instead from g knowing rets who awaken in the night.
Speaker 1: So this sort of blends right into instruction six. So we're going to be talking about five and six here, which is to observe background program thoughts that keep going.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 1: So for example, let's say I have a gnawing rat. It's a worry about something and it wakes me up and I think, oh, I should have done this by now. I think we all know what it's like for that to just keep coming. What's happening when I am able to use your terminology to make it a white sheep versus it continues to just gnaw away. How does the transition happen? What's the difference there?
Speaker 2: Well, the sixth instruction is not only about knowing rats. It's also about worries. For example, when you have had a discussion with your partner and it wasn't resolved, then it becomes a background program. You had an emotion, you were maybe heard by your partner by someone by something he said to you, and your mind starts creating thoughts that have a higher speed as normal thoughts. And this is because hidden under the surface you have an emotion. You are you have fear or you are hurt, and you have an emotion and this emotion that makes that your thoughts are going to turn into loops and won't find any solution.
Speaker 4: So that's the sixth instruction.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before we move on to worry, when you're talking about a nine rat, is that normally? Does that mean we're talking about a task, a thing that needs to be done? Is that kind of specifically what we mean when we say turn a nine rat into a white sheep? Is it we're talking about these things that we think we have to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm talking not only about glowing reds. I also talk about rough diamonds. Okay, Gnowing rats are things that you should already have done, huh, but you don't do them for one reason or another. And rough diamonds are plans you have for the future, but they are still not clear in your head. But the way you treat them is the same. So gnowing red gives you a lot of stress, But a rough diamond you should polish it. You should polish it because when it's polished, then it's much more easy to execute them. And the way to do is I have an instruction with four questions. I ask four questions about this task. And when you answer all the fourth questions, do you know them much better? You have nothing done, but you know them much better.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: An example of one of the questions is what don't I know about this task?
Speaker 2: You start asking what do I know? But I started a good beginning question. Then what do I not know? Which knowledge I don't have? Wo but I'm not able to do as the second question. The third question is do I need some help? Is there a person who can help me? And who could be? Is there some help? And the fourth question is do I have a worry about something? And do I have limiting beliefs? Is too difficult for me? I should do it in them. But it is as if you walk around this gnoying red or rough diamond and you look at all sides and until you know it quite well. And then and that's important because you have done this again, it is in your subconscious. And when it's in your subconscious, may I talk now about the subconscious?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, when it's in your subconscious, I use the metaphor of a cave. So let's represent a cave, and in this cave is stocked everything you want to do in the future, all your small tasks in the drop ins, all the big tasks, the rough diamonds and ignoing rats, they are all in this cave. And in the middle of this cave is your intuition. And your intuition is like blindfolded. It's yourself in the middle of your subconsciousness blindfolded. There is another part of the subconsciousness, and that's the important thing. The other part of the subconsciousness is behind the wall. You cannot see it, but where is stocked Everything you have done in the past, all your experience, all your knowledge, is stuck there. And between this first part, the future part, and the second part, the past, there is unconscious thinking. We do a lot of unconscious thinking. When you think about a rough diamond and you let it rest, and next day or in two days, you come back to it, it has become more rich. You're more clear about it. You have more ideas. You have done nothing in between, but you have more ideas. It's coming closer to you. So the time server suggests to put everything into the first part of the cave. Everything you want to do in the future and then to let it rest. Then the ancient subconscious part, with all your memories and all you have done in the past, will try to find solutions, will try to find ideas, will try to help and send this all to the front part of the future part. And then in the middle you have the intuition. When you take a briefer, it's as if you open the door to your subconsciousness. So during a briefer, these good ideas they come out of the subconsciousness, and also your intuition will tell you during a briefer the next thing that fits the best to the next moment is when the intuition may feel everything you want to do in the future and knows all the conditions that are around and everything else you want to do. The intuition will say, the best thing you can do is this task. And so when you are taking a briefer, you think, hmm, I'm going to do this now, and that can sometimes be very illogical for the reginal mind. For example, last weekend, I had really a lot of things to do, really a lot of things to do, and I had promised my wife I would make on the toilet some photographs of the mountains in which we had been this summer. I started doing that. I worked on it one and a half two hours I've worked on it. I something it's very nice, but it camped me down. It calmed me down, and it made me ready for all the important tasks that comes afterwards. So sometimes the choice of the intuition seems illogical. But I'm very well listening to her him, very well listening because it takes also care of me and also for other people around me.
Speaker 1: So this is where I run into problems with the method, and it's probably somewhat rational. Brain right, There are two sort of challenges that I see. One is memory. I do not have a good memory. I don't retain things. Well. It sounds like you're saying, if I look at things in a certain way, my subconscious will be able to remember them in a way my conscious brain isn't. Have you found in the years you've been teaching this people when they just try and put something sort of into the cave, that it never comes out of the cave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I understand what you say. In the beginning, I suggest to people in the beginning, you may still use a list, but when you make your list turn it around. So you have made a list, and then you turn it around, and then you start functioning with your intuition.
Speaker 4: And then after a half a.
Speaker 2: Day you can look on your list, didn't I forget anything important? And then again you work on your intuition and you will see that when the months and years pass and you do this, your memory starts to become much better because you have taken the habit that everything you want to do in the future you've looked validive. You don't think in terms of I have to do. You started thinking and I want to do I want to do this.
Speaker 4: I want to.
Speaker 2: Realize that, and you know also the way to do it because you waited a moment. You know, okay, I have to do this, and so when I first do this, then I can do this, and then you let it drop down. So the subconscious is very well in formed also about to wait how to execute it, and it will drop.
Speaker 4: It on the right moment and you will remember it.
Speaker 1: Years ago, I made a rule for myself, and maybe it seems to have served me well, but it's very different than this approach, which my general rule is, if I want to remember anything, a phone number, something to do later a short thing I read in that book that was interesting, right, Like, I try and put it into my off board memory system, you know, which seems to have served me well. But to the point that you're making it sort of the polar opposite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wait a moment. What I'm doing is I wait a moment. For example, after this meeting with you, I'm quite sure I won't jump on my bike going to the next thing. I will walk a little bit. I will walk a little bit, and during five ten minutes, then I remember, oh, you said this to me, and oh that was a nice part and could have explained better.
Speaker 4: And I take time for that.
Speaker 2: I really make relationship with everything I do in the end, and also what do I want to do next? There's nothing will happen in the future that well for us, it was very quickly. That was nice and we were both ready to do this. But mostly I know the things I'm going to do. I know them, not very detailed, but in overview.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: So this idea that our intuition will surface the right thing for us to work on. A lot of people's experience is of procrastination, and sometimes it's procrastination of certain things, but for some people without some sort of impetus, it's across the board procrastination, not doing anything. What's happening in the mind of someone whose intuition is selecting what needs to be done and is working on them in a calm manner. And somebody who maybe doesn't have lists, doesn't have a system, they don't get anything done. They procrastinate. What's happening here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the theme stress is not only about time. The them stress. And you know I wrote two other books and in fact there are four themes in which you can have stress. And now we touch another theme. You have the seller and you have to do your first floor first floor. Yeah, the first floor is about time. The second floor is about your beliefs. Your beliefs and your opinions about things. And you thinks you will repeat also your patterns, your patterns of behavior. And someone who is postponing a lot of a lot of things, he has a pattern, yes, and it's nice to go more profoundly into it and to look, why do you have this pattern in yourself?
Speaker 4: What is happening there?
Speaker 2: And mostly with people who postpone a lot of things when you ask them, when they are satisfied, they have a very very high standard. They want to do everything very perfectly. Yes, that makes them that it's never the right condition to start because they wait that everything is in the good condition to start and to make it perfect. When the person understands this, and he also understands this is an old pattern. It's a pattern that he created in his youth. He copied his papa or his papa was saying, you have to do better, and so it's an old pattern, then he can start. And that's my suggestion that I would give. He can start observing it. He starts observing it exactly at the moment that you postpone, and to feel the tension at that moment, to feel the attention from Okay, now it's fear. It's fear, I feel fear. Right, I don't want to start, And then okay, brief out, in brief out, and the fear will go down when you wait, when you do nothing, the fear will calm down and then you can make the step step to start doing something. And my suggestion would be to start doing something not too long for someone who is postponing a lot. Just make small beginnings. Make ten minutes, fifteen minutes. You work on it. Then you make a step back. I say, WHOA, I have started. I've started, and that makes it much more easy to continue afterwards.
Speaker 1: So for time surfing to work, your intuition needs to be working well. One possible objection could be that you are a forty years zen Monk practitioner. Your intuition is really well sharpened, it's working very well. Someone who is not had any of that sort of practice, who's much more frenetic in their mind not so calm. How does time surfing work? It sort of seems on one hand like you have to have good intuition for time surfing to work, but you get good intuition by doing time surfing. And we're sort of caught in a little bit of a circle. So how do people begin? Is it just start at step one and do these instructions to the best of our ability, and this intuition will grow over time and it'll become something we can trust more as we do the other instructions consistently.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the right question. I think.
Speaker 2: Of course, my zend practice will influence me and will make it may be more easy for me to have a relationship with my intuition.
Speaker 4: But I have seen a lot.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are instructed in time surfing that they start to awake their intuition and do courses with five times two hours. So each week we work two hours together. In the second session, I start working on intuition, and then we are in the fourth and the fifth session we work together.
Speaker 4: People show that they follow their intuition and they and they.
Speaker 2: Become more calm because you need the whole system, but one part of it is the intuition that awakes more by doing the other.
Speaker 1: Because you say, trusting the method is an important precondition right to trust this method, which is to ultimately trust our intuition, when at the moment that we're starting, our intuition may not seem so trustworthy. Yeah, but you're saying, you see, when people buy in and they do it, you can often see their intuition sort of start to guide them quickly and they begin to then trust it more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There is a touch book about from Professor deekster House and it's about the subconscious and he explains a lot about the intuition and when you read it, he gives also good examples. He says the inventions that human beings made the big inventions. They come out of the subconsciousness, and they are made by your intuition. That's not that the person is standing before and so, oh this is it. No, he has thought about it, yep, and then he let he let simmer it. And then he's walking in the forest and at one moment he said, I got it, right, I got it. But the solution came out of his subconsciousness, not out of reginal thinking.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I think part of the challenge, as I see it, is that I use this as an example. But I'm a former heroin addict, and there was a timeroonetic heroin. Yeah I was, but I don't know the word, oh heroin, drug opioid.
Speaker 4: Uh oh yeah, heroin. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a time where the messages I was feeling they felt very strong, they felt very real. They were very destructive. And so I think sometimes I wonder with people who have had say trauma, childhood trauma, oftentimes they have an intuition, for example, that they are in danger when they are not in danger at the moment. How do we separate the subconscious repeating destructive patterns from the good part of the subconscious. This is intuition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I told you there are other parts of other parts of yes.
Speaker 2: So now we are in the cave, we are in the cellar, we are in the emotions, okay, and in the emotions.
Speaker 4: That's another part.
Speaker 2: In the second book, it explains that emotions are a medicine for us, but a lot of times we mix up our emotions with our thoughts. Then they become more destructive of the change.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: When we have for example, when you have fear, fear is a medicine. It says you are in danger. Take care. It's what the fear is saying. Then the ratio is coming the reginal mind, and the reginal mind says, I don't want to experiment this. I don't want to be in danger, and this feeling of fear, I don't like it at all. So he starts to suppress the fear. The fear cannot come out anymore. It transforms into angriness. You become angry, Ah, let me alone, and I don't want this, and or you become paralyzed. But you have another reaction. So in the cellar, I try to learn people to become friend with. There also with emotions that doesn't feel comfortable, but that are in fact medicines. So to become friend with your fears, with your pain, and to feel it and not to obstruct it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Instruction six takes us into this area a little bit, right, because we're talking about observing background programs, and you say there there are two major kinds of background programs that are running. One is worry, yeah, and the other is feeling hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you go on to talk about integrating these things. So how do we work with these background patterns? You sort of just said it, but I'm going to put it specifically on worry and feeling hurt.
Speaker 2: For example, I remember when my children were fourteen fifteen years old. You know, as a parent, you have worries. You don't know what they are doing. They go out and you know, they discover the world. You don't know what they are doing. So you have worries.
Speaker 1: Running loose in Amsterdam, there's all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 4: In the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the worries they make that your thoughts are going to, Yeah, what is you do? I should do this? No, no, no, it's not good. No I should do no, I should do nothing. No, it's not good to doing nothing. Your thoughts they start tuning into a loop. And my suggestion is, at that moment the thoughts, you cannot stop them. So just observe your thoughts. And that's the sixth instruction. Observe the thoughts, observe the background programs. Don't believe them, but observe them. They don't give you the solution. And at the same time, you're going to your body and you're going to feel where is the fear?
Speaker 4: What does it do in my body? You will notice that the fear.
Speaker 2: Will be in your hear or hear and fear isn't there, and you will remark that you are suppressing the fear. And the suggestion I give to people the most easy way to be open to your to your emotions like fear and hurt is to go for a walk. To go for a walk, and not a slow walk, but a walk in okay, risk walk. And when you do that for ten minutes, fifteen minutes, you will already remark that the emotion becomes more calm because it takes off your resistance. And when the emotion becomes more calm, your head becomes clear.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, your.
Speaker 2: Head becomes clear, and then you think, okay, well, I don't know what my child is doing, but in fact, in front of me, I have confidence I should just stay on speaking terms with my children and not try to act out of fear, but out of confidence.
Speaker 1: So we're trying to allow the emotion and breathing room, allow it to be within us, to pay attention to it. But also moving helps that emotion in a sense.
Speaker 4: Move Yeah exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I think there's this idea of being able to think our way out of something. And my experience is similar to yours, which is when the emotional temperature is too high, the brain doesn't work, yeah, does not think well, it just cycles in, you know, fear thoughts. And it's similar to like a two year old when a two year old just you know, when a two year old gets too angry, you don't try and be like, well, Bobby, you really should share your toy because sharing's a foundation of Western civilization. And right, like, that's not going to work. You've got to get it. You've got it. How do I calm the child and then we can maybe have a talk about it? Yeah exactly, similar, yeah, similar, Yeah, Okay, we sort of already hit on intuition, yes, but we're near the end of our time here. But let's talk about intuition. Say a little bit more. How do I know when something to do is coming out of my intuition versus it's coming out of say, my fear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always tell people don't see intuition as something mysterious.
Speaker 4: In fact, you know it already. Your intuition.
Speaker 2: The intuition is dead. What is coming up when you don't use your reginal mind. So when I have a list in front of me, and it's a rational list, you should do this and that, you shoot done, and you shoot, you shoot, you shoot, you shoot, and you have tensions when you read it, and if oh, yeah, I shouldn't forget it, Oh it must be very well done. But when it's turned around and you you have looked them well at them, and they calm down because you know them and so they are in your subconsciousness, you turn your list around.
Speaker 4: Then you stand up. You stand up, and.
Speaker 2: You walk to in your room and you make a cup of coffee, and then make a cup of coffee in your aunt. You think, I'm going to start with this. It looks like your reginal minds. But because you have no list, it's your intuition. When you have in front of you something written, your ratio will work. But when you're just walking around and you don't have anything that tells you what you should do, your intuition will tell you what to do.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the phrase eat the frog first. Yes, so, eat the frog first is a I believe it's probably an American business phrase. It came out of the American business culture, some business writer, which says that you should do the hardest thing you have to do first thing in the morning. You've got something to do that seems unpleasant. You got to work on your taxes. You hate working on your taxes. Eat the frog first. Yeah, you're actually saying, like, eat whatever you want first.
Speaker 2: There is some reasoning in this, yeah, okay, because we all have the same habit.
Speaker 4: In the morning.
Speaker 2: We come into our working place when we work with a laptop, becoming up with our working place, we open the laptop, we open the email. Yes, And at the moment you have opened your email, you're lost because you start answering the email, and your email becomes leading and what you're doing and it attracts you.
Speaker 4: And so you're in it.
Speaker 2: And then you have worked two hours on your email, and then you have not done anything from the big things you wanted to do right frogs. So what my suggestion is, when you come into the morning, before you open your laptop, before you open the email, you wait a moment and I call it a wish list. You make a vish list. What do you want to do today? I make a wish list. This is what I want to do today, and that's what I want to do. Oh yeah, that's important. And the wish list is a wish list. So I don't care about if I have time to do it. I just know I would like to do it. That's the only thing I would like to do it. And then when I made my wish list, I shut it down. I'm not capable or to see it. And then I opened my email. I opened the email and then brood and then I see my email, and then I only answer the two or three mails that are urgent, but the other emails I read carefully.
Speaker 4: So I see all the emails. I read them.
Speaker 2: I know all the emails in the inbox, and also the ones who stay from yesterday, I've seen them. And then I shut down my email. So that took me maybe ten minutes, ten minutes, fifty minutes and then I make a walk and I decide to make my first big action.
Speaker 4: That can be a frog, that can be a frog, but at that moment.
Speaker 2: It's more probable that I will choose a big action that's really important as the first action I'm going to do in this day. And then after one and a half hour we're working on it, I close down, and then I opened the email again. And then it's curious because in between, in the one and a half hour I worked on this big task, my subconscious was thinking about the email. Yeah, in unconscious thinking. So I opened my email again and I read the email for the second time, and then very quickly I answer, yes, I'm doing this or this is my advice I give you to you. Very quickly it comes up out of my subconsciousness. And so that's another reason why you see that time surfing is more productive and without stress, so you get more better ideas. But you work, you work less on.
Speaker 1: It because your subconscious is working on it while you're doing other things, so when you come back to it, able to do it more quickly. Exactly, exactly, excellent. Well we are at the end of our time. We'll have links in the show notes to where people can get your book time surfing, yes, and where they can find your work in general. And thank you so much for on such short notice agreeing to meet me. Yeah in the studio in Amsterdam. It's been a real pleasure.
Speaker 2: Well it was a big pleasure for me. Maybe just one thing to tell is the real In January, they welcome the second ndition of the book, and the book changes from title it won. The name won't be anymore time serving. The name will be I've Got.
Speaker 1: Time, I've got time, okay, all right, okay, And like I said, links will be in the show notes to where they can find you and all of those things.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, Thank you.
Speaker 3: If what you just heard was helpful to you, please consider making a monthly donation to support the One You Feed podcast. When you join our membership community with this monthly pledge, you get lots of exclusive members only benefits. It's our way of saying thank you for your support.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: We are so grateful for the members of our community. We wouldn't be able to do what we do without their support, and we don't take a single dollar for granted. To learn more, make a donation at any level and become a member of the One You Feed community. Go to oneufeed dot net slash join The One You Feed podcast would like to sincerely thank our sponsors for supporting the show