Speaker 1: The Ladies of Orange County took a trip to Ireland, and it's anything but relaxing. After a bumpy start to their vacation, the ladies head off on separate adventures. The two groups reconvened for dinner, where Kelly awkwardly tries to make amends with Tamra. However, the peace treaty doesn't last long. Comedian Justin Martindale joins me to break down this episode. This is Real Housewives of Orange County Season eleven, episode sixteen, bringing up old ghosts, Let's get into it. How are you?
Speaker 2: Good morning, afternoon, Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 3: I'm in La right now. This is my podcast studio. I'm actually rich us at the Comedy Store.
Speaker 1: Oh you have a podcast studio at the comedy store? I do, Yes, that's cool. Is that way? I just watched that documentary? Was that about the Comedy Store? That was about the Comedy Store?
Speaker 2: Right the the Showtime one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guy Mike Binder? I think maybe was it him?
Speaker 2: Probably? So? I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a whole bunch of.
Speaker 3: Little documentaries here and there. Yeah, they just celebrated their fiftieth anniversary here. So I take my podcast just saying with Jussein martinall here, we've been doing it for like a year now, and yeah, it's really taking off.
Speaker 2: We're having a good time with it.
Speaker 1: How long have you been a stand up fourteen years?
Speaker 2: This year September? Yeah, this September. Wait, actually this June was when I got past here at the comedy store. So, yeah, do.
Speaker 1: You ever know bomb? Do you still do bomb? Ever?
Speaker 2: I mean no, no, you don't really bomb? No, I do. Everyone. You have to. You have to bomb to get better. You know.
Speaker 1: It's like skiing, like if you're not going down the harder trails. Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, avoid the trees at all costs, you know, but like every now and then you fall down, you get back up.
Speaker 2: That's just how it is.
Speaker 1: I did stand up one time at UH. I had ten days to prepare. It was just something I discussed with Paul, my fiance, and then because I'd set it out loud, I kind of challenged myself and I did it at New York Comedy Club. And it was the first night that the comedy clubs were opening during the pandemic that I didn't think about the fact that people would be wearing masks, and had to be six feet apart, which is the opposite of comedy.
Speaker 2: It's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 1: It was a weird thing. And I would say, like if if it were getting a grade, I got like a seven out of ten, and me it got laps. It landed. I didn't feel like naked and afraid. I definitely didn't bomb, and I understood. I just wanted to know what it really felt like, because it's something that people say I could do that, and everyone when I said I was going to do it, my accountant and oh I'd be great at that. I was like, all right, we'll get up and do it. And I was happy that I tried it. Like that, I did it. It was three minutes. I called a bunch of comedians that I know like and I had a lot of respect for the medium because everyone responded like Chris Rock and Ellen and Kathy Griffin. And when you come everyone responded with real advice, like long advice, and it was all different advice, but I I Kevin Kneel it. It was a great experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like cherish those little moments and when when actual comics give you that advice, that's what makes you better. You know what I mean, and so you just keep going and going and perfecting it and everything. We did it during when that same time, we were doing stand up in parking lots oh people in their cars, like in a drive through, and we're on stage and everyone's in their car and they're flashing their lights and they.
Speaker 2: Have little clickers like clicking out out.
Speaker 1: That's an experience.
Speaker 2: It was so weird. I was like, Okay, I'm glad that's over with.
Speaker 1: Well, there are rules too, which I didn't realize, Like they're different and you can decide on your own, but like pick up the microphone, put the microphone down, get rid of the stool, but the stool like dumb things that like I wouldn't have thought about, and I never thought about that. Each person has their own style, like you fit into are you a storyteller, you a joke teller or you a ranter like a riot? Yeah, yeah, what are you?
Speaker 2: I'm a storyteller.
Speaker 1: Like they're long, like a Kevin Nealon style, like they leave into each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of sort of like a storyteller kind of picking up pop culture things that are happening around.
Speaker 2: That's very much like what my podcast is.
Speaker 3: And like observational humor and like how people are trying to just make it into this crazy world, you know, and and yeah, that's right, I do. I love I love telling stories and doing characters and voices and all that.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff. Oh you do characters and voices?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well maybe we'll do one. Well okay, So are you a Housewives fan at all or you know.
Speaker 2: What I am?
Speaker 3: And ish I'm new to the Housewives, I know, I know of you, I know of you, know Ramona, I know all of that. I'm personally a Beverly Hill, Miami Housewives fan just because I just love.
Speaker 1: Over the top y you know. Yeah, but you're so you're not fluent, but you could. You can get by on the language of leave even Orange County, where we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know, yes, of course Orange County.
Speaker 3: Actually the episode you said me, I remember watching that one, so I was like, oh, thank god, like.
Speaker 1: So, yes, that's funny, because I am not, believe it or not, I'm not fluent at all. I never even watched my own except for to see the one rough cut just to see if you were safe or dead, like if you're going to live, have a bad week or a good week, like, and that was it. I didn't watch it in real time with commercials or whatever, and then I only used to watch Atlanta in the beginning. But I'm not I'm not fluent either, which is ironic. So they're in Ireland and the first thing I'm noticing is Heather's Chanel rainboots. I don't know why they jumped off the page. I just was like, wow, I kind of want those those rain boots. They've jumped off the page. Yeah, And I remember thinking, how, I don't know if the women look like this now, but everybody struck me as very pretty and like there are other cities where they spend more time on their glam. This is like pre mac Daddy glam. But I thought I just really thought everyone looked sort of fresh and pretty, which I don't always take the time to say, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like an Irish spring rain, you know, just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, everybody, everybody exactly exactly. Okay, So Vicky Vicky, they should do a show called Vicky and Vans. Vicky gets her hand caught in the goddamn van like I thought she was gonna and she had a thing earlier in like the beginning Housewives of her cursing out a driver because of a minivan to the airport.
Speaker 3: You know what, I always wonder if producers can like intervene, you know, like can help and they just let her just dislocate her shoulder for a while. She's just like, can someone And we're like, no, this is this is the journey you're on.
Speaker 1: Thank god, this was only a dislocation of a shoulder.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Vicki and Vance is a great watch. What happens?
Speaker 1: You know, Vickey Advance, you need one more because things are better than threes. But the one thing about Vicky, she's never been the reason she's on my rush more like a Ninni or Teresa, is she's not afraid to look bad. Like she's not afraid, she's not she's not always crafting what the audience is going to see, like she doesn't mind looking messy. She gets dirty, she.
Speaker 2: Gets dirty, and you know what, she grunts? I love, I love.
Speaker 3: I do the same thing when I'm in the car, Like if like my boyfriend always makes fun of me, he's just like, you're very vocal. Like if there's like bad traffic, I'm always like hoop and he's like Okay, that's that's my Vicky. I feel like Vicky grunts and makes sounds and I'm kind of here for it.
Speaker 1: She expresses herself. She'd be a good fully artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, making sounds.
Speaker 1: For movies exactly, all right. So I found that the ancestry scene was very produced, like that's where the producers think they have a good idea, let's play Pim the tale and the donkey at the birthday part. Like it just felt very produced. And the airmes bag and the furry vest, you know, h but.
Speaker 2: I mean, did she look good for Fall? Megan? Yes, she looked great, you know, I thought.
Speaker 1: And Kelly. I mean, Kelly had the airms bag and the furry thing. But I thought Kelly looked. I thought Kelly looked good for Fall too. Megan's very pretty. They're very pretty, I thought the scene, but I did.
Speaker 2: How weird, I mean, think of it.
Speaker 3: This is I totally agree with you the we're going to take these women to Ireland, but at the same time you're going to ask random strangers if you're related to them.
Speaker 1: I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Amazed. How was no one? How was there no pepper?
Speaker 1: Is it because like Irish families typically like eleven children in them, so you're bound to be. He's like a stereotype is like.
Speaker 2: Cancelationship Irish at all. I have no Irish or Scottish.
Speaker 3: Cut to me getting at twenty three and me and I'm like, I'm one hundred percent Irish, like I have no idea, but I have no.
Speaker 1: I think that I did. I did one of those, the other one ancestry, and I was like a tiny but Irish but not not enough to count. But I went to a Catholic school in Rockville Center, Long Island, which is a very Irish community, and everybody's last name is Gallagher or Murphy, and everybody's first name is Maureen or Meghan. And there were like people had eleven kids, seven brothers and sisters. And it's like Dennis Leary has like seven brothers and sisters. That's the cliche. You're going to be related to someone, Okay, And I I want to know what you thought about the comment. So it kurts me now watching it. Back when I saw things years ago, I saw the whole medium differently, and now watching it it's like breaking down a football game or something. I'm not in it, and I see it differently, And it wasn't Kelly saying it directly to Tamra. It was Kelly saying to another woman, that's why her kid doesn't speak to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 3: It was Kelly saying something like, what this is why her daughter doesn't speak to her? And of course it gets back to Tamra, right, okay, or what did you think was going to happen?
Speaker 1: Right? Well? In reality TV, everything has to be put on the lazy Susan in the center of the table. Nothing can be that's what producers. You know, Tinsley's trying on wedding dresses when not engaged. The producers don't put on me. I put it on the center of the table at the lazy Susan because it has to come into the show. That's what we're all doing. We're supposed to trash each other and someone has to win and someone has to lose. But it did strike forget.
Speaker 3: There has to be a black and white filter, something dramatic.
Speaker 2: From the Ghost of Housewives past. Yes, remind you of what happened.
Speaker 1: That's so what a good creative note, right, The flashback has to show you that it's a black and white grainy gritty hallways scene fact. Yes, yes, but how many things do you say about other people that even like your parents, your sister, your brother, your cousin, your boss, your assistant assistant, like your agent, you're whoever, your booker, the person in the next room at the comedy store, if they heard the things that you say about them, like it'd be ripped to shreds. So it's like it seemed bad and now it doesn't seem that bad because she didn't say it to her. It was a throwaway comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like nowadays it's even more just.
Speaker 3: You know, you find out things that people are saying about you, and it's just the gates are open, you know. But I don't know, is that a thing where it's like I feel like that's very Treesia. It's like, you don't talk about my family, you know, it's very as family's off right.
Speaker 1: To other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but no, I mean while she's fucking her husband's best friend, I mean, you're gonna say that to you to somebody you know, like, you know, wow, staying never are home with the kids, the kids are raised by ned like a throw away comment, Like it's a throwaway comment. So it gets brought in, and there's another reality sort of nugget that I was guilty of once in taking the bait, Like if you take the bait, it becomes a bigger scene and it becomes more of a Housewives moment when it's exactly the opposite of what you want. Because Tamer really doesn't want her relationship with her daughter, which was strained coming into the show. It triggers her and she goes crazy. When if she was just like, oh, okay, great, anyways, past past the Irish cream, it wouldn't have been but.
Speaker 2: Like that's the Irish cream.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a less for life that you gotta hold sometimes and not take the bait.
Speaker 2: But also Tamer knows what's good television.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely She's like, ye happened, Oh, let's bring Christianity into it.
Speaker 1: And I agree with you on the Christianity. But I think there are times when something comes out that crosses over that line of it being good television, and you really just are like raw and you really just don't want like bad mothering to be something in the media like that's a line, or like there are things where like you're like this is the line and this is like, you know, the Denise Richard Richards Bravo, Bravo, bra that's when the line is crossing. You can tell that that's like they don't want that to be good TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, You know, I.
Speaker 1: Thought this was I having been there, I thought this was one of them.
Speaker 4: Hey, everyone, it's Sophie Bush, host of the podcast Work in Progress. I am thrilled to tell you that Work in Progress is back for a third season. My friends, it has never been more important than right now for us to have all of these big conversations together. We are going to get educated, a little bit enlightened, and we will definitely be entertained. I started Work in Progress because I'm a curious person, and I realized there are so many people I get to speak to that are fascinating and rare, and so I thought, why not take these conversations out into the world. I'm going to be having deep chats with thought leaders, newsmakers, celebrities, entertainers, authors, elected officials, and more. You can join us and listen to Work in Progress on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: What about the scene with the cows, Will you ever drink milk again, don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, when did this turn into the Real Housewives of Fear Factor, because it's just it's no one signed up for this.
Speaker 2: Did he enjoy it? Yes?
Speaker 3: But I thought, for a second, anytime there's like cows and hazmat suits, I don't know why, but I think they're going to like do the whole single life fisting the cow thing.
Speaker 2: Can I say fisting the cow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure here you can like a rectal example of the cow.
Speaker 2: The cow.
Speaker 3: Okay, But I thought that's what we were going to get into, and I was like, I didn't sign up for this. I watched this on Saturday morning. I'm having my coffee, like having my croissant. I'm like, well, here we are, We're going to watch some cowshit on these poor women.
Speaker 2: Did I live? Yes? I did?
Speaker 3: But no, no, no, But I you know, I wanted, you know, some insight on how the Bailey's Irish cream farm work.
Speaker 1: So you know, oh, yeah, I'm sure that was great branding. Now I want to drink Irish crea. Yeah, but I felt I have when you watch TV if you see like clutter in the background or certain thing, like I felt dirty at lunch. Yeah, I watched them, and I watched Heather take off our Chanel boots. I was fixated by where she must have put them. And then they had the hazmat suits and they took it all up, and I felt like they were dirty. At lunch. I could not get away from like the urine and like all of it. So I felt dirty at lunch. And then the steak of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, didn't they have steak afterwards?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, I'm now eating the cow. I just I mean, it was like Pete must have gone goddamn bananas. I mean, honestly insane.
Speaker 2: It was like it's a movie like that where they there's like some horrifying scene and then they like showed dinner, you know, and you're like, oh, that's what that was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I'm sorry, but I would be taking a full on silkwood shower after that.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, he's rubbing.
Speaker 3: And just like no, and the smell I could smell it horrible.
Speaker 1: I love when I all hugged. I do think that that reminds me of why the shows don't need to be so trashy. They can be just lucy abolish. That was like sort of the Lucy and Ethel moment. But we had a couple of nipples references. It was nipples and steaks and then Vicky showing her tits to FaceTime to Heather's husband, I need out at lunch. Well you mean not in a blue gown in a doctor's office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that.
Speaker 3: But is that the same ones where she said that she has the best vagina as well?
Speaker 1: No, they flashed back to her fake cancer boyfriend saying that she has a gorgeous vagina black and white filter. I don't think it was. I think it was a flashback to a dinner and it's weird. I believed him. I'm now thinking about Vicky's vagina. I don't know why I believed him. I didn't doubt it. I believe you did too well.
Speaker 2: Before this interview, I was, you know, last night before I went to bed, I'm like laying in bed and I think my sleep paralysis team and woke me up, and I'm staring at the ceiling going Vicky's vagina like it.
Speaker 3: Was was the first thought that I had, and I was like, is this normal? Like because I was like, now I know, well, we can add.
Speaker 1: It to your show. Vicky Vicky's vans and vaginas on TLC. Yeah, yes, Vicky's vans. I believed it, and I didn't believe that that. I didn't believe that Gwyneth Patro's vagina smelled like that candle. But I believe that Vicky's vagina was nice. So that's she got that across. But there was a Miami episode where one of the women got to the house and showed Lisa Hakstein's husband Lenny, who's a boob doctor. She was like, but the twins are here, like talking about her breasts at a party, and I thought, is that okay? Like because they're a doctor, I was like, so you can just show your vagina to Like, I don't think because they're a doctor, you're gonna show your breath, like hey hey guynecologist I know, or just you know Peter Lueger's but I thought i'd show you might have vagina just because I want to know if you think I need, you know, a pap smear. I think it's like that's where the line is, but that's where it's TV.
Speaker 3: I think that's also like you need to recognize when someone's off the clock, you know they're not you're not just getting a free This isn't you know?
Speaker 2: What's that? What's that coupon company that upon.
Speaker 1: Wait, what is it? The one that's like does all that?
Speaker 3: It's with a G it's a groupon no, yes, no groupons. It's like when when someone comes up to me and they're like, oh, you're a comedian, tell us a joke. I'm like, I'm not working right now, right, I don't need it.
Speaker 2: I don't need to. I don't know you. No, I don't need to see your huha or your whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, right, Yeah, that's so true. The doctor should send yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Or if you want to send that person into a spiral and they show themselves, you just just go gross and just let them like spiral you know.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, it's exactly. This is where you this is where alcohol seems like such a good idea on reality TV because you don't think it's really happening. I mean, it's a crazy thing. You would think who would ever drink to access with cameras on you? But it's it makes you feel more relaxed and you're so dehydrated. You're in Ireland, but when you're doing it, you're adrenaline is so lit and you're so dehydrated, like your nervous system is working overtime, and you know how like probably you do you know better than anyone, Like you're doing comedy, and like it just seems like a good idea, right to have a drink. Do you ever drink before doing comedy? I have?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it a bad idea or a good idea?
Speaker 3: You know, it depends if it's you know, I could do like a like a cocktail, that's fine.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've had I've had my moments where I'm like, you know what, let's have you know, our seventeenth martini. What could go wrong?
Speaker 3: I've definitely had those. Those were like back in the early days. But I try to stay clear from it, just because you want to have your head clear. You want to know what's landing, what's not landing.
Speaker 1: Wait, the next day you might wake up and you thought it landed and it was like it did not land because you were fucked up and you were in your own head.
Speaker 2: But there are comics who have had that.
Speaker 3: That's happened to them more like they're on you know, they take an edible or they're smoking weed. And there's some comics who are like, that's the only way I can perform, and I'm like, I believe right, it's more terrified to me.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the Kelly Click thing? She's at that lunch and I've been there and you feel really uncomfortable. And there are certain people that are very good at the following. Ramona and Tamar are both equally good at like something having just happened and it They bring the drama but don't kill the party. Like I would be stopped down if I had heard that someone was talking about my daughter and it was brought onto camera. So ta Tamra's credit, even though it it doesn't matter that she said it to some miles. Now we're in the show. The meta of it all, it's hard to kind of get onto the next golf hole when you're still thinking about what happened and how you fucked up the last one. And Tamara and Ramona are two people to deserve credit for, like you could have done the worst thing ever in the last scene, and they're just the next scene is like a fresh start. They're like a talk show host on the next night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, I definitely feel like.
Speaker 3: They are the girls still in high school, the seniors, the popular senior girls, and they know that they kind of have the power now because they know who messed up, you know.
Speaker 2: M hm. So I feel like that whole lunch was just Tamra milking.
Speaker 1: It, just like ooh no pun intended.
Speaker 2: Did you know? And Kelly felt Kelly really felt like like and Tamar had that power just to be like, I don't want to talk about her right now. I don't want to just stop, just stop, you know, it's very she wants to talk about it, but she's gonna for all she can, you know.
Speaker 1: And I distinctly remember I was in Colombia. I don't why I remember this the most. And you kind of can remember when you feel like everyone's turning against you. You're in the show, you had it going good, something happened. I always say, the pendulum swings. This This medium is a zero sum game. You are very rarely in purgatory. If you're in purgatory, you're getting fired, you know, like someone nice like Jacqueline Marita was in purgatory for a while, but like you cannot sustain with purgatory. You can only sustain being Vicky, being loved and amazing, or being hated like and with someone like Kelly who's been disliked because she took it too far, then it gets dark and the audience hates to hate you, and it doesn't end well. It's like a very it's like limbo, it's like a seesaw. Yeah, it's constantly like to try to keep it. It's just never really in the middle. And so I remember being in Colombia and like I could feel, Oh, they're all turning against me. It's my turn. Like if you're if you don't know who's get you're getting whack. Yes, I'm feeling like this is Kelly and her way of doing it is just like everyone's so mean, but it really doesn't land because, like you've said some pretty mean things while lashing out and sometimes being attacked, it's just not landing.
Speaker 2: But I think that's Kelly's personality. I don't know what sign she is. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've never met her, I know of her, but I definitely feel like when you push somebody and just pushing and pushing and pushing, she's just gonna you know, And I get that me too, But I think that's what it was, where it's like she's just and it's everything so close quarters.
Speaker 2: You know, she's a van, she's at the lunch. She's just like this, just leave me alone. And I think she just spits off because she's like, look, I'm getting ganged up on.
Speaker 3: And then when she says something, it's too much and then everyone's like whoa, wha, wha, who whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: What's funny, though, is it? I believe that probably both of us we watched it whenever it aired the next day, we would have been like more team Tamor and that this girl deserved it. But we're older and more evolved, and we have kind of grown with the way that society portrays things a cancelation and thinking about people's feelings. And I think that I agree with you, Like I was seeing her as a girl who you know, has had it, and and I was sympathetic towards her as well, And I just don't think that I would have been that evolved fifteen years ago to feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she had just had it.
Speaker 3: And I think this was prior to like how do you deal with your feelings properly?
Speaker 2: How do you you know? And this was like old school lash out, and every.
Speaker 1: Old old school lash out exactly.
Speaker 3: And when you lash out like that, then it's like, okay, now we can even go in more and make her life a living hell, which is what happens later in this episode.
Speaker 1: I think one and she's apologizing and I don't even think she knows what she's apologizing for in the beginning, like she knows she said something bad. She just wants the pain to go away. She just wants to be liked by the cool girls and like get through this trip. But the trips now, let me explain to you because we could talk about the reality reckoning later. This thing that I'm in the middle that I'm in the middle of and the front of been you know, I don't know if you've heard about it, and have you right, So a lot of it is that where's the line, Like, where's the line? This is a workplace. Effectively, people are paid, they have to be there on time. They're not paid properly meaning from a contract standpoint, to be technical workers. But in any workplace this sort of treatment and yes it's sleep deprivation, and yes it's alcohol. Now it's not that it's clockwork orange and producers are putting toothpicks in your eyeballs and saying stay awake. But they're aware when you land, they're aware you at a jet lag, but they only have a certain number of days. They've had to maximize the money that's being spent, and you have to work all the time, and they reference that how they went to bed every night. They're exhausted. They're drinking, and you're just on a loop and you're on fumes. And I cannot express to someone who has not done this what that whole machine does to you. You've been on tour, You've been right, you've been a tour. You're in another country and another time zone. You got to get up and perform. You're fraid. So that's that ad Alcohol add a schedule at emotions and I'm not kidding, Like, you don't feel normal and you want to get off the ride. Thank you. You're having a nervous breakdown. And I want to bring that up because they later say that, which is what they said to Kelly, which is what I said about Kelly, but I didn't think about it in a holistic manner about Kelly's probably never had a nervous breakdown before with her friends, Kelly bensimone who did have a breakdown, Kelly died, probably never had a breakdown before. You're in a pressure cooker and it's all these things happening at once, which is production dream. So it's the upside down because if at work you see Jane drinking to excess, has asked, she's having it, she's she's a little afraid. Her boss has to be like, all right, I think you take the day off tomorrow. You see them a little that's not this world. This world is no take the day off, No stop shooting. Put the cameras in closer. If you're having a fucking nervous breakdown, that's TV gold.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there, get in there tight yep.
Speaker 1: So that's the whole reason for the reckoning. And I was part of the cesspool. I was the queen of the cesspool. I own my part of it. But now I'm watching this stuff differently because I've rinsed it and I'm not in it, and I'm watching this girl. In each scene people are telling her to drink. And I really believe that because the producers do say, oh my god, now you get a couple of I swear on my life. They've said, get a couple of Martins into Durinda, and then she's gonna fucking fly off.
Speaker 2: I've heard this, and I've heard I've heard this before, but that they're like, oh no, we just get them boozed up and they we just keep them, keep them in, keep feeding the cows. No, you know what I mean, it's keep milking the cows.
Speaker 1: It's turn that knob in the back, wind them up. And it's not technical. It's not like, oh, we need you to drink. It's not we're pouring it down your throat. It's not that. But it's really setting everything up in the same way in the beginning of The Bachelor and Bachelorette, they don't all.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it's called there was that one episode or that one season where that one woman was just like, wasn't she just like shit faced? Is she in the She didn't even make it to like the first round, but like everyone was talking about her the next day because she was the drunk, loose, you know, crazy person.
Speaker 2: So now she loved as that for the rest of her life, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Kelly Dodd recently said, no one ever forced her to drink, But you're watching other people say have a drink, Have a drink, Have a drink. You're having a drink. I know for a fact that's production saying just get her waisted. She'll fucking do something crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't that Shannon first?
Speaker 1: It is Heather with the flask, with the child like ignoring no no means no an alcohol too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've never seen a woman with a fireball flask.
Speaker 2: You know me either, Chanelle fireball flask, Amazon wish list. Okay, just mark that down. I agree. I agree with you. Where it's just like when do we say like no, I'm okay, But then there's the peer pressure, Oh just come on, it's just one more drink and you're like, okay, I want to be cool and fit in. You know, it's the old yeah program, just say.
Speaker 1: No, right and Bravo has recently published a letter to Deadline saying that they're now going to be more cognizant and more conscientious about alcohol consumption on set because I bring back work like, you don't watch someone, You don't watch someone drink nine drinks that the Christmas party, someone in management's gonna be like they need to go home, yes, you know, or someone has a problem. So this is a different, weird world where there are no rules. So that's that's part of my propaganda. So that's why you know I'm noticing it differently because I'm thinking about it. So okay, so oh it's funny. I wrote down what you said, people snap. That's interesting. I wrote that to people. Fucking snap.
Speaker 2: They snap. We see it all the time. We see it all the time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're right, and she wants She's calling her husband saying, I want to go home like a bit like a child. I remember me calling Dennis might pass you passed away. I want to go home like you want it. You're like a baby at school and you want to go home.
Speaker 2: Please come get me. I'm over this. I don't want to be here.
Speaker 3: And then on top of that, you're getting that different rush of adrenaline where it's like I want to go home, I don't want to be here. Then the adrenaline's more panic. You're having a panic attack. You know, your body is dehydrated, whatever, and that's it. I hate that feeling, you know of just like and you're in another country.
Speaker 1: Like nothing, and you're sleep deprived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all of that. You know you've been drinking the night the night before, you don't know who to trust. I get it. That's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. And also you won't be paid if you go home.
Speaker 2: Oh really, you.
Speaker 1: Won't be Yeah, you'll be told that you won't be paid, and you won't be in an episode. I mean, there's a thousand layers to it, but you're kind of trapped. And then to add and so to injury. Not only will you not be paid, you now know you're in so deep that if you walk out, they're going to talk about you in a scene. So you kind of have this addiction where you want to be in it, which is what happened with Kelly on Scary Island. She wouldn't go to bed, even though I was saying go to sleep, because she knew that we so and she was a little fucked up, I think. And it's very hard like I don't. I never saw it that way because I was, you know, we were the unsullied in Game of Thrones. But I see it definitely. So I have compassion for Kelly Dove, which I didn't think I would be saying, but I do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: So now let's talk about this. Well, first of all, to lighten it up. Their label flex seems like it's a normal level, Like it seems like women, I know, like the Chanel bag that this it's not like Beverly Hills where it's like in a frame put on a pedestal on the table. The burkin is like, yeah, rotating plexiglass box. Like it's like literally I've seen them put into the camera line, you know, like here's my giraffe notebook right in front.
Speaker 2: It real quick, let me scan it? Yes, where get it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Here, it's like in the middle of the table, like you're seeing Chanel bag flopped over. It seems like a realistic label flex, which I like, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a comfortable label flex. It's by the way.
Speaker 1: It's a comfortable label flex. It's not it's not you know, it's not. It's not like star billing. It's like a support supporting character. Where do you stand on nighttime Hallway filming?
Speaker 2: I was so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I had a hard time understanding actually what was going on because from what I from what I gathered, Kelly was asleep. The girls had gone out to a bar or several so they were kind of I feel like they had time to kind of conjure this little like trap almost to fly out.
Speaker 2: The night that night, right, so they're just.
Speaker 1: Like am like four or five in the morning. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and they right, and.
Speaker 2: Then they called her out into the hallway, right, or she got up because she heard they were talking shit about her or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Vicky spilled some tea to Tam and then Tama texted or god knows what she her.
Speaker 2: The picture, yeah, which grow up?
Speaker 3: But then, yeah, of course, I think it's like, you're asleep, you're aggravated, you.
Speaker 2: Just want to go home. Her buttons have been pushed.
Speaker 3: She's called her husband like get me out of here, and then let's just add one more cold to the fire.
Speaker 2: And yeah, she got up. And I thought it was just so shady.
Speaker 3: That Heather had her phone out and was recording her. And yeah, of course, no one wants to be like, it's it's two o'clock in the morning, get your camera out of my face, like what are you guys? What's going on? What's wrong with you people?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me explain something to you that's terrible. And that I was right, and then I was excellent at It's like an addiction. The whole thing and when you're in the machine, everything is something, so you have like that's why you cannot be on with friends because if you let's say you have a good friend that's on and you're out there being exposed for anything that you've ever done or are doing, and your friend is having an affair, now you're like holding onto their secret. Yours is wide out there and every single thing is fair game when the cameras are on and when the cameras are off, you're in this game, and like I said, it's always it's a battlefield. So at night when you're not on the actual field, but the god like you know, you're still in the headspace. And the problem is in the middle of the night, it's going to be one point for that team. So they're not going to not film that because the next day if a tree fell and no one heard, it didn't really happen exactly. You got to always be getting points on the board, whether the cameras are on or off, and you always want everyone to know everything that happened, especially if it's something it's somebody else did that was bad.
Speaker 3: Which I feel like I just started watching Salt Lake as well, and I feel like that's what's happening with Salt Lake this season. It's very much that, like, get them on a Spurner van, get them all the fight, you got the new girl who just got her Louis Vuitton bag. You know, you have the bragging about my sixty thousand dollars ring is missing. It's just it's very much like that, just pure chaos. Expose them all, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you want credit from the producers. You want the producers to like pat you on the head for what you've just done. That was good because then you know you're in more scenes and you're more you, and you want a point, like it really is like that. Anyone who says it isn't is lying. It's not like I'm stuttering. It's not like I'm asking, it's not like it's open for discussion. It's a fact.
Speaker 2: I get it. It's a squid game, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and it's really the hunger games, like you're just in it. You're there for yourself, and the reason that you're friends with the people is because their alliance is to push what you're doing forward and hopefully get to the super Bowl or the end of it, which is the reunion and survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Taylor Swift will be there, of course, But can we do that? Can we pitch that to Bravo? Can we do Housewives Hunger games?
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 1: Amazing, Yes, because people would be dead, it would be actually dead. And I think about and I really do not blame the people on the field. I really blame the game. Like the girls are pushing the alcohol because they want something to happen with Kelly. Then the stink is off them. And it happened years before the Naked Wasted scene, and they showed back to it.
Speaker 2: It's like, let's get it done, and they.
Speaker 3: Yes, two naked wasted and they even said that exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now now we're in that van and I'm thinking they have to get on a plane together. And I'm thinking, what that to your point, Like what it feels like to be depleted and you're on an airplane and you're disgusting. It takes you by two weeks to come recover? What the hell happens in that van? Like what the hell?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what. Vicki's arm was still caught on the van. She still hadn't been helped, and that's She's like that is dragged. No, there's nothing that I.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's I'm like this when when it's early and there's loud sounds, whether that be a loud talker or like some construction outside, especially when it was like what three point thirty in the morning, we had this weird altercation. Just get me home, and then it's just pure. Anytime there's a night vision camera on, I think like there's it's the worst.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the DP because you felt it, you had bad breath, you left stuff in your room that you forgot when you were packing your suitcase. You're just squat in a rage.
Speaker 2: You're packing like yeah, like just yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Smell like some some bad potato chip, Like you just can I can feel how toxic and disgusting they felt. Yeah, And it did feel like a school school bus with like a little kid that was like being picked on and like seems mean and gives more reason to be it really did. I know, I don't know why. I really don't think you and I would have been sympathetic back then to the same degree. I don't know, I don't know, but I really was sympathetic.
Speaker 2: I feel like we missed, we missed a moment where Kelly does admit that she was sorry. I don't know where that came from. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: I've never done that before, And it cut several of the women saying she has done this before, and we got good old flashback scenes of her saying I've never done this before. I'm so sorry. So they are even like making fun of it. They're making fun of her apology. They're not acknowledging her apology because they don't think it's genuine.
Speaker 2: You know, at least she apologizes.
Speaker 1: It's not because it's vital skill. It's Ramona. Huh, it's Ramona like it's it's not really a real apology. But you need to do the apology because the producers need you to go to the bottom, but they need you to come back up otherwise it goes too dark. And then the viewer turns off, like it's this game not unlike the media. You beat somebody down and then they're canceled, but then we want to watch them come back. So I'm because you're younger than I am. I can tell by your beautiful skin. I mean too spiritually evolved in the sense that I am too like touched. I'm too sappy and sympathetic because I've met I've really spent time with Nini recently, and I've spent time with people that I met during this whole franchise process, and I've really liked them off the show, which leads me to believe that I wouldn't want anybody to judge me based on me on the show, So how would I judge them? And with all these provocative questions we get asked in the media on shows like Watch It Up Into Live, we're saying shitty things about each other, and then we were surviving. So when you're at your like you're surviving, you're not at your best. So I've judged Kelly Dott and I bet you in real life if I met her at a cock support I'd probably like her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have learned that that to not believe people are like what you see on television.
Speaker 2: I just feel I think so, I mean, I feel like a very few of them actually are. But I've met Nini.
Speaker 3: I worked with Ninie on She was a guest on Cupcake Wars like years ago, and I was a writer on that and she was a delight. Her and Cynthia were on it as a team they were lovely, But yeah, I definitely feel like there's a small percentage of people. And that goes with like anybody entertainment. I mean, there's there's several people. You know, there's comics and stuff where you're like, oh my god, I mean look at the whole like Ellen Cancel thing where it was like, oh, she's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: In real life. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like there's so many things like the Jimmy Fallon thing happening right now.
Speaker 1: What is your opinion of the Jimmy Fallon thing.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know because I don't I don't know him. I'm not there, but I mean I've never met him. But I mean there has been this, like.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago, there was saying there was something along the lines of like him having a drinking problem. Also going to go into effect that he's a father, he's like working, you know, Monday through Friday. This it has to be on all the time. So I don't know, the same thing happened with Kelly Clarkson, who I adore, you know, and Kelly was like, I had no idea what was going on. So there's a lot of little factors that everybody kind of has to regroup and figure out how we want to make the machine work, whether that's reality, whether that's you know, talk shows, whether that's any sort of entertainment.
Speaker 1: So so you're saying there's a bigger reckoning overall, which I agree with because so having been on Jimmy Fallon many times and knowing him and having spoken to people very high in power around his show, I have a decent recipe of what I think. One is that you know, it's so necessary for him to be like the boy next door and the offshops and then every mom in America likes him. That's kind of what they put forward, which does land and there's a lot of pressure to that obviously, and he does like to party and does like to drink, and that would have been his achilles heel. That was what was sort of worried about by the powers that be. I also think that doing that every day is such a machine and having to be on and you're a traffic cop and you've got to get integrations in and you've got to get questions in, and you've got to and I will say I defended him, and it was picked It was picked up in many places that from my experience, and I've met him off the show, I've met him in real life. Like in my experience, he and his wife are very nice people, like, they're gracious, and he, unlike most hosts, every single time, comes into your dressing room and is really nice and charming. And that's exhausting, you know, and to be so I think that it must be a tremendous amount of pressure not to mention you who's a comedian knows to be funny. That's such a grounds for insecurity. Not just to be gracious, like Kelly Clarkson, to be funny, you have to be fed to be a clown every night. That's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is hard, especially when you know you're dealing with the world our own falling apart and people falling apart, spiraling, and it's like your own world. You're going through your own sort of depression, your own sort of chaos, and you have to show up and be like, hey, I mean it's hard. I've had definite I've had nights where I've just been like, God, what am I doing? How can I do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Also in the same aspect of like a Jimmy or any type of late night talk show, any type of celebrity at all.
Speaker 2: It only takes that little person to kind of.
Speaker 1: Go out a termite a termite, yeah, and just turn you know, one hundred percent. And that's why I felt responsible. I felt a responsibility to say, for whatever my opinion is worth, I do not believe that Jimmy Fallon should be on the list of cancelations because I think his is the exception, not the role. I'm sure he's fucked up, and I'm sure the environment is fucked up, and he knows about some doesn't know about others. But I think when he apologize, it was truthful. And I think he beats himself up more than people do, and for some reason, he like Kelly, which Kelly's wasn't about her, was about her team, and his was about him and the environment. But I just what I felt like we all are so quick to judge, and it was important for me to say publicly that I did not want to put him on that list of I believe that Jimmy fouln' is a good guy and that it's got to be really hard that people don't see that we.
Speaker 3: Need to bring back just forgiveness for accountability, like genuine accountability.
Speaker 2: I you know, I remember an old saying that nobody's perfect. You know. Yeah, I feel like we should.
Speaker 3: Get out, get over the whole, like cancel stuff and just like learn about forgiveness and like, hey, we're allowing people to grow granted if it's like awful, terrible, horrific.
Speaker 1: I understand what you're saying to Air is human to forgive his divine is what you're saying. Yeah, it's become crazy, but it's weird because every day you get canceled, but you kind of get renewed the same day. It's like it's bizarre. Like Balenciaga was the devil and then now everyone's wearing Valenciaga. I was saying, you need like a cancelation report, like a weather report, like oh we oh, we're allowed to. I don't even have Valenciaga, but like, am I supposed to be wearing it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that what the cool kids are doing now? I don't even know? You know, you go on a ride every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true, and that's why you're just kind of like what am I? What are we doing today? What's what's in? What's out? What are we are?
Speaker 2: We still mad? At Lizzo, What are we doing? Exactly? Do you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, she's brave, No, she's insane? What what? What is happening?
Speaker 1: It's exactly. It's so true, and that's why it sounds ridiculous. But I wrote this like weird like manifesto mission staming yesterday because I was trying to take accountability. I'm fifty two, I'm older than you, like I said, and I was like, I'm part of this. And a lot of times I talk about things that I'm reading, so I'm literally regurgitating but putting my own spin on something it's been fed to me. And whether it's a little comment about a tailor swift or something what, I really don't know anything. I don't know these people. I don't know Megan Markle. I don't know any of these people. I do know the effect that some things have on my daughter, filtering or face tuning. Can have an opinion about something, but I don't have to go hold Kim Kardashian responsible for my daughter's false ideal of beauty. I'll be the parent. I have to parent stronger like so, I feel like I've had a weird awakening lately about all the stuff.
Speaker 3: It is interesting because it's like I've always been obsessed with like pop culture and and you know, one of my idols was Joan Rivers, you know for sure, and she would talk about entertainment and stuff, and it's like, it's just so funny.
Speaker 2: If you're not, you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. That's what it is. So you're allowed with that opinion. You're allowed to make a joke.
Speaker 3: But if it's not a joke that everybody likes, then you're not funny, you know, because.
Speaker 1: You have to Well that's harder for you as a comedian because it has to land. And like what it was that alan all to stead. If it bends, it's funny. If it breaks, it's not.
Speaker 2: But if it's funny for these people, they love it.
Speaker 3: If it's funny, If it's not funny for these people, they're gonna like, you know, give you one star reviews on your podcast and you know.
Speaker 2: This and that you need to not exist anymore.
Speaker 3: You know that kind of stuff. And it's just like, oh my god. So that's something that I've had to learn with And that's so true.
Speaker 1: And it's ironic because the most wholesome who was praised for his comedy without using curses was Bill Cosby, how ironic. And the one on TikTok that everybody adored and was god was Lizzo. Yeah, so we shouldn't have these idols, like keep it at fifty five miles an hour. We don't have to go so hot and be you know, make it that there are gods gods, because they're just bound to disappoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, just just wait this whole Travis Kelsey Taylor Swift thing. It's like the Mint the one game they lose, Oh, the cursive Taylor lives on. You know, it's I couldn't even imagine that level of fame where you.
Speaker 1: Know I couldn't either, and it just feels distracting and it feels so by design. But you wouldn't think at that level of fame it's by design. But it can't not be because you know what I mean, Like, you know, every single thing you do is being filmed, like you're on a reality that's a reality show. So Taylor is on a reality show for sure. So you know everything you do where say everyone you bring that it's obvious we've proven that. So if you put what you.
Speaker 2: Just have to just be robotic.
Speaker 3: It seems you know, like you know you're being watched at every moment.
Speaker 1: You don't or or you know. I'm saying like the Queen knows she's being watched. The Queen of England knows when she was So you saw that, like not a lot of movement, not a lot of opinions, not a lot of anything, because every gesture is taken. So Taylor Swift is as big as the Queen of England and she puts her arms around the mom and really is very you know, excited and animated. So that's positive and she's having fun. But we all have to know that it's got to be intentional by design, because she's smart enough to know that nothing she does is not captured. So I don't know what the design is and I don't know what architectural plan she has going, nor is it my business, but she is by design.
Speaker 2: I think so too, because it's I think it's like some weird masterful puzzle that like, and knowing her with her Easter eggs and stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how is she just like this? I don't know, she's just a crafty Yeah, she des no idea. Either she's a saint or a sinner, I don't know. But whatever she's doing, it's working. Like everyone's tuning into football now and I'm like, what.
Speaker 1: She decides exactly agreed. Well, if you're good at it that you know. I mean, like I said, the Queen of England was was a long rain and she was amazing, And so if you're good at it, go it seems to be working. Yeah, we'll find out. You're amazing. I love having you on. I'd love to have you back. It's like so just refreshing to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's it's like it's an honor. I love I love seeing you in person. It's like it's a dream.
Speaker 1: Thank you and yeah no, And it's important to me that, like, in talking about the show, it's not like we're trashing people. We're like just talking about Danna.
Speaker 2: Show, right, We're talking about all women.
Speaker 1: It's like talking about all women through this vehicle. So I appreciate you for playing along. Thank you so much. You have a great day.
Speaker 2: You too, bad Bye?
Speaker 1: That was fun. I liked him. I mean it was Paul, my fiance who comes up with a lot of my ideas He's the one who always says you should have comedians do rewives with you. They just have a different way of analyzing things and thinking about things. And he was very, very sweet, and I love I love this show, and I've been nervous, frankly a by doing the show, not wanting to be hypocritical because I'm talking about the reality reckoning. But it is a vehicle to talk about women and what women go through. It's not a vehicle to trash anyone, because we certainly have not trashed anyone. We're just talking about dynamics with women and life. And I enjoyed it. Thank you.