Speaker 1: Welcome to Brainstuff, a production of iHeartRadio, Hey.
Speaker 2: Brain Stuff listeners. Instead of a normal episode, today, we are back with a preview from the new season of the podcast On the Job. We've teamed up with them to bring you a few samples of what they do, which is engage with professionals from all kinds of businesses about what they do, from wind turbine technicians to cartographers. Through these stories, the team tries to help explain and explore different aspects of what working means in our world today. They're sponsoring us to run these samples. I think it's a good fit though, because it's a look into how different jobs work. Today's episode is about the intertwined to journeys of two different job seekers, one of whom wound up being in the industry of helping the other navigate the often difficult world of finding a good gig that's good for you. Will feature some previews of future episodes in the future, though. If you want to hear more or explore their six seasons, you can find On the Job from Express Employment Services wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to On the Job. Can you believe We're at episode six? Already, where does the time go? Well, after all these wonderful profiles of people in the midst of their careers, we thought we'd switch things up a bit for this episode and take a look at the challenges that many people face one looking for a job. So today we're going to hear about one man search for work and how that path to employment helped him to discover a whole new approach to life. Let's face it, looking for a job sucks. It does. It's a painful experience in so many ways. It's a moment of humility, of anxiety, and depending on how much money you have saved from the last time you worked, oftentimes it's a moment of sheer desperation. Whether you're searching online or in the newspaper, or driving around town looking for now hiring signs and handing out resumes. Searching for a job literally begins to feel like a job itself. And one man who knows exactly how that goes is Leon Albritton.
Speaker 3: Here's a job, looking for a job.
Speaker 1: And if you're like Leon who doesn't live in a big city, your options are that much harder.
Speaker 4: Because you have to go real far to get something. You know they have way gainst it.
Speaker 1: And then even if you get lucky and find a gig that sounds of interest, you've got to go through the whole application process, which means updating your resume, writing a cover letter, reaching out to the hiring person, and half the time, maybe way more than half the time, after all that work, nothing and you can't help but think that maybe that application that you've just spent all that time working on wasn't even read. But thankfully there are places like Express Employment professionals and people like Olivia Marrafeld.
Speaker 5: And I am the operations manager for the Vaparaiso Indiana and Shable Indiana Express offices, and.
Speaker 1: Olivia totally knows how hard it is to get a job because prior to working at Express, she was in the exact same position that Leon was in.
Speaker 5: And you get so caught up in applying for jobs online or using those different avenues, you so many times don't ever get to speak to a real person. You're submitting resume after resume after resume.
Speaker 1: But fortunately for both Leon and Olivia, they called their local Express office.
Speaker 5: I came into Express, had my interview. They ended up placing me at a property management company where I was the leasing agent and I was there about five years.
Speaker 1: Well, Olivia got lucky with that first job. Leon was having a harder go of it. How many different jobs did they try to get you in it?
Speaker 3: Over a day?
Speaker 1: Doesn't right? More on that, Yeah, did you ever get discouraged going after all these different jobs and them not working outdays?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I was feeling just like you said too. It was heultlessly. It was scessful. Man.
Speaker 1: At Express, well, it's their goal to place job seekers in long term positions. They're also realists. I know that sometimes it takes a few tries until you find that perfect match.
Speaker 5: As much as it's about a client interviewing a candidate, it's also a candidate interviewing the client, interviewing them to make sure it's something that they're good at and want to do. I tell people daily that not every job is a right fit for every person. Just because something doesn't work out that time around doesn't mean it won't the next.
Speaker 1: You're playing the long game here with these people. It's not just like, Okay, you fail at doing this job, we're done with you. It's let's keep working until you find the right fit.
Speaker 5: Exactly and as long as someone is willing to go to work, show up every day, do their best. That's what matters to me. It's not a matter of if they're good at it or not good at it, it's are they willing to try and put in the effort.
Speaker 1: And Leon was definitely willing to put in the effort. He went to job after job, showing up ready to work.
Speaker 5: He has done everything from working in a facility that did laundry for hotels, to dairy corporations to even a packager at a candy factory.
Speaker 1: It's quite the range there, it is.
Speaker 5: But he was always willing to go and always willing to try something new, even if he was going into something that he had never done before, he was always willing to give it.
Speaker 4: A shot, showing up job they.
Speaker 1: Too, Leon acknowledges that they were hard jobs. But if we're being honest here, he puts the blame mostly on himself because at that time in his life, with the stress of trying to find work, piling bills, and a feeling that he was letting people down, Leon turned to alcohol. And anyone who has ever used drugs or booze to cope with life's challenges, nos things can spiral out of control pretty quickly. Did you lose a lot of jobs because of your drinking?
Speaker 4: Yes, I did it, some good jobs too.
Speaker 1: Then, in a moment of pure desperation, Leon decided to leave his home in Indiana and moved to Seattle.
Speaker 4: Because I gave you up.
Speaker 3: You know, I left my property here.
Speaker 4: I sold my car, and I just left, thinking things is going to be different.
Speaker 1: There may have been a woman involved, but this is a business podcast, people. So Leon found himself out there in Seattle with no job, no car. And since I know you're curious, that woman didn't work out either. And while Seattle is a beautiful city, it doesn't exactly have the kind of weather to breaken your spirits. And so Leon's desperation only grew. And what started out is some drinking to cope became a full fledged addiction. When we come back from the break, Leon hits rock bottom.
Speaker 6: A strong work ethic, takes pride in a job well done. This is the kind of person you need. Express employment professionals can help because in good times or bad, we understand how critical it is to manage your business for today with the right workforce. We offer hiring solutions to fit changing demands. Express knows Jobs. Get to know Express. Go to expresspros dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 1: We're back with Leon Albron, who at this point in our story is out in Seattle, jobless and womanless, wondering why he ever left Indiana and.
Speaker 4: Left thinking things is going to be different, But he got worshiped.
Speaker 1: What started as a few drinks to combat life stresses quickly turned into a full fledged dependency. Any money Leon was making went straight to buying a bottle. But as Leon's life was spiraling downward, he found out that at that same time, his son's life was about to change for the better in a very dramatic way.
Speaker 4: Somebody showed me that my son was getting drafted in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Really yeah. Leon felt an obvious sense of pride that his son's dreams of turning pro were about to come true, but he also felt a deep shame for where he'd let his life lead him. Leon had hit rock bottom, or actually he didn't hit rock bottom. He tried to walk into it and buy a drink.
Speaker 4: The name of the bob was rock Bottom, and then I looked at the top.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is a rock bottom that's said, Oh.
Speaker 1: Wow, And somehow that was what did it. The realization that just as his son was about to become a professional athlete, Leon was about to walk into a bar named rock Bottom to have a few drinks and feel sorry for himself. That's when he accepted that he needed to turn his life around, that he needed help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we got He got me back in the swinging things out there.
Speaker 1: And after getting sober, Leon decided to go back home to Indiana.
Speaker 4: And he told me that said, Leon, when you go back in Indiana, surround himself around people.
Speaker 3: That's gilbers My take.
Speaker 1: And Leon did just that. He built up a positive community, established a healthy routine, and rekindled his relationships with his family. And then, of course he needed a job, and Leon knew just where to go. When he got there, though, there was a new face in the office because in the time that Leon had gone out to Seattle, Olivia Marifeld went from being a job Seekrett Express to being a staff member there.
Speaker 5: I had no idea that they were looking for someone for the front office here. I ended up getting an interview on the spot meeting with the franchise and then started the next day.
Speaker 4: Amazing, right, it's such a cool.
Speaker 5: Thing to have been in the associates shoes in the past. I know exactly what they're facing and what they're looking for.
Speaker 1: And right off the bat, Olivia could see that this was a new and improved Leon, Leon two point zero.
Speaker 5: It's been such a cool opportunity to see him grow, to see him change, to see the things that he's overcome in his life.
Speaker 1: Very quickly, Olivia had Leon back out in the workforce, doing a few days here and there, but all the while, her goal, as it is with all her associates, was to eventually land Leon that keeper.
Speaker 5: I think part of our goal in one thing are really focuses on, is the fact that we aren't just like any other temporary agency. My goal is to find long term, permanent placement for these associates. So I want to place them where their skill sets are going to be valued and where they're going to do the best long term. We want them to find a home and find a career.
Speaker 1: And with this new and improved Leon, a Leon that is sober, clearheaded, motivated and always willing to do the work, it didn't take long before Olivia made good on that.
Speaker 4: She's kept the word, and that's how My mom ever told me, wherever you go on life, if you don't have nothing else, always keep your word.
Speaker 1: Because after all the jobs that didn't work out, Leon has finally found the job for him. Working in the industrial industry for the last seven months has given Leon not only an income, but a healthy routine and a sense of purpose. Like all of us, he has his days, has afternoons when the clock drags, and mornings when he just doesn't want to get out of bed. But then he reminds himself how far he's come and how hard he and the folks that Express have worked to get him where he is today.
Speaker 4: Express Ball be back, contill a human again. That's the way I'm gonna put it. They gave him my life.
Speaker 1: Back for on the job. I'm Avery Thompson.