Speaker 1: All right, welcome to the show with Daddy Issues. Hey, oh yeah, it's Burke and Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: In the morning, there was a Second Date podcast, of course, I'm referring to yesterday's Second Date where the guy said because she had a nose piercing.
Speaker 1: As I'm staring at Alexis's.
Speaker 2: Nose piercing, which I had mine peers for eighteen years. The only reason I took it out is because when I was breastfeeding my baby when she was little, she kept ripping it out of my nose.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it hurts so bad. Oh yeah, yeah. Anyway, my dad was all about it when I got it done, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Already probably you as well. Yeah, it's like double pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was double pain. Some of the comments we're seeing from yesterday, yeah, kind of the same. Megan Jones said, I got my nose piers with my dad. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Michelle says, everyone knows the universal sign for daddy issues is a lower back tattoo. Yeah, it's just the universal sign that you went to high school in the late nineties, everybody had or a palm tree or a heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I used to go to a tanny bed, which don't do. By the way, it's terrible for you. In the back of a video store. It was so sketchy, that is, it was so sketchy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're got awkward Tuesday right now, and so let's get awkward and make it happen.
Speaker 1: It's brand new and it starts now.
Speaker 3: The most uncomfortable topic to bring up in any conversation isn't politics or religion or that hairy growth on your lower back hands down? Its money? Oh oh yeah, top. And while it's kind of unavoidable if you're talking with your boss or your roommate, the last person you want to bring it up with is your crush.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I know.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what one of our listeners is being forced to do. And the craziest part is why he has to discuss it with her. Oh, it's so weird. You're going to hear it in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. It's awkward.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. Where money comes between friends and ruins their relationship forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so easily that can happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like when I bought Brooke a seventy dollars wine glass to Canter for her wedding. That should pretty much equal out Brooke paying for all of my lunches over the last decade, but somehow she doesn't see it that day. Why you don't pay her?
Speaker 2: I actually got married thirteen years ago, so it's been over a decade that I've been paying for lunches.
Speaker 3: That's three years. You see the hostilities that I'm still getting over a decade later. Now, Brooke and I've been able to work through it, but one of our listeners hasn't had as much success with his friend, and that's why he needs our help today. Nick, Welcome to the friend Dome. How you do it?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, if you're having me, do you? Nick?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: Not yet? Well, tell us about the situation going on that's created issues with you and your friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I got this co worker. She works in my company, but different floor, so I don't really see her that much.
Speaker 1: So this is just a work friend that we're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, so I've had like a small crush on her for a while.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's her name?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dana.
Speaker 1: Okay, does Dana know you have a crush on her.
Speaker 4: She does because I actually asked her out in a work event at a year ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, how long ago?
Speaker 4: About a year ago?
Speaker 1: A year ago, so it didn't turn into anything.
Speaker 4: Now, she actually had a boyfriend at the time, so she said no, thank you, but I would if I wasn't in a relationship, so she was nice about it. Yeah. So a year later, I'm kind of out of the blue, I get a message from her and she wants me to meet her outside. And we have food trucks outside of our buildings, so she asked me to come meet her outside by the food truck. So excited, I'm like, I've always liked this girl. You know, I'm still single, so maybe something exchanged.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, maybe she broke up with her boyfriend. Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah. So turns out she needed a plus one for a wedding that she was going to that Saturday.
Speaker 6: Wow, wedding dates a legit invite.
Speaker 1: That is her opening, right, just single.
Speaker 4: Then at the time, I wasn't sure, and I really didn't want to ask that question.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I feel like if I don't ask and I don't have to know.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, I wasn't sure, and uh, I just kind of wanted to find out and see, and I legitimately could not say yes quick enough.
Speaker 2: I'm still hoping she's single, and so I can say, oh, yeah, so have you.
Speaker 3: Gone to the wedding yet or no?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I canceled my plans. I was excited to go. Oh I had plans already.
Speaker 3: But they can wait totally right.
Speaker 4: So I went to the wedding, and I did find out that they broke up.
Speaker 3: Yes, horrible. You're talking about Dana and her boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dated her boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's awesome and lining up for you.
Speaker 2: I feel like you had to like restrain yourself when she said yeah, we broke up, You're like, oh, pump under the table.
Speaker 4: I pretended to feel sad about it.
Speaker 1: Good job, what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we had a great time. And it was our friend from college's wedding. We were dancing, drinking, had a flirty vibe between us.
Speaker 6: Oh good, Yeah, this is random, But like, how were you associating with her other friends?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I guess that they will give you a good read into how there will, like the vibe is between you and her, if you're able to get along with her friends mutually, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We were all drinking at the bar, having a good time, good great size.
Speaker 1: Okay, where does the money sign?
Speaker 2: Like? This is feeling like a second date update, not a for Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm getting there, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Oh you're life Okay.
Speaker 4: At the end of the night, we had a hug. I could have went for the kids, but I didn't, you know, out of disrespect. We were drinking and I answered to hang out next weekend and she said she would really like that.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Then two days later it happened.
Speaker 1: What did who?
Speaker 4: I got a Venmo request asking for one hundred and fifty dollars to cover my wedding guest feet?
Speaker 1: Oh what from who? It wasn't from her? It was from her?
Speaker 4: It was from It was from Dana.
Speaker 3: Yeh wow, I've never even heard of that.
Speaker 1: Did she Venmo the wrong person?
Speaker 4: I texted her and I said, are you sure this is for me? I thought maybe it couldn't be for me, and she said it's from both of us.
Speaker 3: We will wait wait, so we will.
Speaker 2: I guess it makes sense if the bride didn't like this, she didn't bring a boyfriend, he said, wedding gift. It sounds like there that she's making him pay for the.
Speaker 1: Wedding gift that she gave her friend from college.
Speaker 3: Is that what you said? Gift?
Speaker 5: Know what?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wedding costs, guest cost guest wedding.
Speaker 1: Guess what is that? Then?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure to be okay, So what is it that you want to do with your awkward Tuesday phone call that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I kind of just want to know what the costs are for? Why am I paying them? Yeah, you invited me to a wedding, Like she's hugely like, I want to know what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's like her okay, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it would make sense if he was getting an invoice from the bride and groom directly and that was their issue, But the fact that it's coming from Dana that makes it really really weird.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's no explanation. She's treated that like that's an obvious Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Like she said for food or for a give or.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was like a cash bar and you didn't realize oh yeah, you know, like maybe the drinks cost that night.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 3: But he wants to keep the chance of a romantic connection alive. So we're going to come back and figure out some ways to flirtily sexily ask her about Hey, what's the one hundred and fifty dollars charge? He sent me?
Speaker 6: All about flirty conflict this you, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll come back with some advice for you for your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. It's awkward. It's it's awkward Tuesday phone call. If you're just joining us for the awkward Tuesday phone call not only as a friendship on the line, but a possible love connection between our listener Nick and his coworker Dana. There's been some unspoken feelings happening there. So when she asked him to be her plus one to a wedding recently, that was his golden opportunity.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was so excited.
Speaker 3: The weird part is afterwards, Dana sent him a one hundred and fifty dollars invoice to cover their wedding guest fees.
Speaker 1: We still don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows what that means, least of all Nick, and it just felt wrong to him because he was the plus one. He didn't even know who the bride and groom were. That's why he wanted our help today to bring it up to Dana. And figure it out while still keeping his chances with her alive. Honestly, though, Nick, if you really want this woman to like you, maybe the best answer is just eat that one hundred and fifty dollars and don't make this phone call.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say no, you guys, this sets the tone for the entire relationship.
Speaker 1: Honestly, he takes care of his lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she'll like that about you. Yeah, okay, Brook, you have better advice for him? What's do?
Speaker 1: I think you should get out of pen and write down my question right now? Seriously, Brook, nobody writes with pen and paper.
Speaker 2: Just write on your phone and okay, okay, I need to ask her, Nick, why pay her half?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously? Why pay her half?
Speaker 2: Because she said that it's for me as well. Right, so she invited you, it's her friend. Sure she should be paying for you.
Speaker 1: But but in the least, why do you have to pay her wedding fee? That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Are you saying that on a date? Brook? You wouldn't make your husband Michael pay for stuff.
Speaker 1: This isn't a date.
Speaker 2: This is a wedding and this is her friends like bridy grooms do weird things.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: When you and Michael are at a wedding, all bets are off. You guys aren't together, you have separate entities, and whatever happens just happened. I see what you're saying. B take that in mind, Jose, what's your advice?
Speaker 1: I don't understand.
Speaker 6: I get it, Jose, you are going to do something really unconventional here. Okay, you're gonna thank her immediately?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: Why why would I think her?
Speaker 6: Well this, it's a positive tone. Immediately you're like, hey, thank you so much for that. I didn't even think to ask if I owed you any money? And then maybe guess what you think it's for.
Speaker 3: Rather than accusing her of what it's for, you're like disarming her with a compliment before you come in with the real question. Oh my gosh, I must have.
Speaker 6: Yes, it must have been a wedding gift.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could get you the answers you want of what it's for, but it definitely doesn't get you.
Speaker 1: Out of pain for it.
Speaker 6: One step at a time, for happy, keep the vibes positive.
Speaker 3: What do you think you feel like that's helping you out? Before you make your.
Speaker 4: Call here, yeah, I guess I'm still very confused on why I got a bill. I guess I would all figure out in the moment.
Speaker 3: But we've given you the tools to be able to hopefully handle this conversation without making it too awkward between you and Dana.
Speaker 2: I'm so curious how you're going to feel after you hear her answers, And I.
Speaker 1: Wonder what the is seven five each is a pretty good deal for a wedding, just.
Speaker 3: Saying you're lucky that she didn't invoice you to pay for her dress also, so count your blessings. But we're going to dial her number right now. Hopefully she picks up and you can make your awkward call. But here you go.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hey, Dana, it's Nick. How you doing.
Speaker 5: Hi, Nick, I'm great, It's great to hear from you.
Speaker 4: You too. How's everything going.
Speaker 5: It's going pretty well. Just working like usual, as you know.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, just another day on the grind.
Speaker 5: What we do. So what's up? Are we still getting together for lunch today?
Speaker 4: Or yeah? Yeah? I mean I had a great time the other night, and I want to thank you first for the invite in the party. I had a great time, and I just I kind of apologize for not asking what I owed for the event, because I know I got that invoice, so I didn't know. I wanted to find out more like what's going on?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well you know the bride she sent me an invoice and actually charged me seventy five dollars for each of us. Oh wow, you probably wanted to know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just kind of came out of nowhere. When you go to a wedding, you don't you know someone's taking you, you don't really think about paying. So but I also just I should have asked if I, you know, owed anything, because I love hanging out with you, and you know, I never want to chalk in between that, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean maybe I read the situation wrong. I mean I kind of thought that we were on a date, and typically whenever I go on dates, guys will usually pay. Are you saying you wouldn't want to pay if we were on a date.
Speaker 4: I was a date, I think it would be different. I just kind of you kind of invited me, and I didn't know if it was you were considering it a date or if it was I don't know, just kind of came out of left field. A little context probably would have helped. You know.
Speaker 5: Oh that's interesting. It kind of feels like you're criticizing how I handled it.
Speaker 4: Not trying to criticize, just kind of thinking out loud and just trying to get some more information. You know.
Speaker 5: Well, ever, since I broke up with my boyfriend, I've been on quite a few other dates, and guys are just notoriously cheap, And that's why I'm just so glad that I'm getting to spend time with you. You know, you have so much integrity and you really know how to treat a woman.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: So if you wanted to spend more than one hundred and fifty, you know, I did have to uber home that night, and there were just a couple other expenses. Oh man, Nick, you're not saying a lot. Is there a problem? Like what's going on?
Speaker 4: So? Uh, that's a little that's a little outlandish, that's a little crazy.
Speaker 5: It's outlandish. Is Atlantis to want to take care of me to make sure that I get home safe? Like you wouldn't just want to spend a little extra money. Maybe you're not the person that I thought you weren't.
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 2: Oh god, god, Nick, that is terribless.
Speaker 5: No, not, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Who is that?
Speaker 4: Hell?
Speaker 1: That was so manipulative, Dana.
Speaker 3: We're all very impressed with you, Dana, because, yeah, you're on a radio show right now called Brook and Jeffrey in the.
Speaker 2: Morning, a radio show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nick's there too.
Speaker 5: Nick, Why would you do this?
Speaker 2: This is between you and me.
Speaker 5: Why would you call a radio show? What is happening?
Speaker 4: It just kind of was taken off guard. I was kind of confused on the whole situation, and I needed help. I called them to help me because I really like you and I wanted to continue our relationship and I didn't want to make it awkward.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, you don't like me enough to pay for my uber to get home safe, So I guess that's clear enough.
Speaker 1: Or even go to the wedding and uber home regardless.
Speaker 2: There, dam How does that have any indication of whether or not he likes you.
Speaker 1: You guys work at the same place. You probably make around the same amount of money, like pay for yourself.
Speaker 5: First of all, I don't know who the hell you are. And certain women have standards. It sounds like you have none.
Speaker 1: No, certain women have independence, and you need some.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, No, do you know what year it is, Grandma. Women are still to be taking care of.
Speaker 2: Taking care of Okay, we're back into the nineteen ten.
Speaker 3: Is enough of to pull yourself up by your own bootsteps.
Speaker 1: It's not that pay for. You invited him to the wedding.
Speaker 3: Let us puts we want to lift you to greatness. That's what tells me.
Speaker 4: Okay, hey, so yeah, these people were trying to give me a hand. But you know, I'm sorry, Dana. I want to take responsibility for it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's nice, that's really nice.
Speaker 4: I could have been better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, why are you taking blame for this?
Speaker 4: I mean, Brook, you're ganging up on her. You're getting up on the team, and me, I came here as a guest. I don't have to put up with this.
Speaker 3: Up for you, No, he does. He wants to stand up for Dana because he was her date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so at the beginning, this is what you want.
Speaker 5: That is how women should be treated. Thank you, Nick.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll start. I'll come into an agreement here. So at the start of this I suggested you eat one hundred and fifty dollars, but it sounds like you need to do a little bit more to how much money are you willing to cost towards her and venmo to prove how good of a date you are?
Speaker 4: Whatever she needs to feel comfortable here.
Speaker 3: Wow, you just want a good guy.
Speaker 2: You're just buying her affection at this point. That is not worth it.
Speaker 1: It won't last in the end.
Speaker 3: Brook, you're not dating anymore. I don't think you have any You you checked out thirteen years ago from this ral with my seventy dollars wine decant. That's payment for that.
Speaker 2: So you know after this, I'm venmoing you a charge for attending my wedding and that's just Nick.
Speaker 3: You're going to cover that cost from me, right, Bro, it's about love.
Speaker 4: I don't have you, but I do have Dana. Dana, You and I are good.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, what a gentleman, Dana. You landed a good one there. Yeah, chivalry Ison dead?
Speaker 1: What romos?
Speaker 4: Nick?
Speaker 5: Don't listen to him. I'll see you at lunch. You're paying Okay?
Speaker 2: Now, you actually do sound like Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: You should be so lucky.
Speaker 2: Brook.
Speaker 3: It Jeffrey in the morning, and we don't have Dana on the phone with us anymore. But it sounds like Dana was used to more of the traditional style of a relationship where all the men are expected to pay for dates, and that's not what everybody wants, but it's probably how she was raised and what she is hoping for in a relationship.
Speaker 2: It just sounds like she's cheap to me. She doesn't even pay her own bill at or friend's wedding. I think that she knew that her friends were going to charge for that wedding and she had she had to find the sucker to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 3: That's possible. Sure, or it could just be like she was saying, that's how she was raised and that's what she expects from a guy.
Speaker 1: Consider a date too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, date, He wasn't sure, but he heard Dana's explanation and then he eventually came around on it.
Speaker 1: He eventually came around coward coward.
Speaker 3: To her, like every woman wants a good man to do absolutely so, as long as expectations are laid out ahead of time, it's really up to Nick to say yes or no.
Speaker 1: Well, he does finally know and we did help him with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, because it's his life and he chose to pay for it and for her life. Too, and that's true happiness. So hopefully we helped him achieve something that he felt was positive.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're taking such a noble stance on this.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I'm just trying to play the middle. Yeah, so we'll try to do that for you. If you need help with your awkward lives, email the show, and if you haven't already, hit subscribe on that subscribe button.
Speaker 1: Thank you.