Speaker 1: It is Drinks Champs, motherfucker podcasts. He's a legends Eary Queens rapper. He's agreed as your boy in.
Speaker 2: O R e.
Speaker 1: He's a Miami hip hop Mayonnaier put up as d J e f N.
Speaker 2: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean in the most professional unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk drink chans.
Speaker 1: Mother for every day is New Year's Eve. Listen, it's time for drink Champions. Drink up, motherfuck mother? Would it good? Be hoping this should be? This your boy in O R eight? What up is DJ e f N? And this is Drink Champs Happy Hour? Make something?
Speaker 3: And right now when we're talking about legend, talking about international legend, to talking about you know.
Speaker 1: The boy got his own money the real life coming to America.
Speaker 3: I mean, the man, you know is born into wealth but came back and we're grinded, grinning, got his own money, said I'm gonna do it on my own. But I didn't know he went he was born in Atlanta, Holy shit, didn't grint back and then came back and went to Alabama.
Speaker 1: Holy Holy The man is a legend.
Speaker 3: First time I heard the name afrobeats, his name was attached to it. And now this has become one of the biggest genres of music there ever is. So in case you don't know what the fuck we're talking about, I'm gonna say his name three different times, DAVIDO.
Speaker 1: And now let's talk about you selling weed in Atlanta. Go right to it. I love that.
Speaker 3: I loved the fact that because there was other afrobeat artists that was coming to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: You lived in Atlanta at the time, and you was was you was picking up?
Speaker 4: So I was like, I was basically to go to guys.
Speaker 1: I was young.
Speaker 4: I was really young, and I was like fifteen sixteen, right. Well, you'll see at that time, I had a close cousin of mine that used to work for the biggest artists at that time. His name was the Bunch, so he used to have it used to be like his hype man. So anytime they fly in for international shoes, I pull up, pick them up again, we take take them out at sixteen. You know what I'm saying, Take them out, put them in you know hotels.
Speaker 1: What club was popping in Atlanta at that time?
Speaker 4: No time was this club called Club, Miami Club Miami and Ata. Well apart from that, you know, I also, you know, will take them to the Strip Club. And this was one of the defining movements that really made me like, damn, I think I want to do this music. So I took him to the Strip Club and I've never seen that much money, being like yeah, So I took them to the Strip Club. We sat down and then he told this at the time his manager, and the manager told me, like, Yo, trying to change twenty thousand. I'm like, is the music money Nigeria crazy? I left for like two years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I like about mine.
Speaker 4: I time back and forth, so I don't know what's going on back home, you know what I'm saying. Like, visited Nigeria for Christmas and.
Speaker 2: Then I saw that, So these were Nigerian artists that were throwing this money around. Yes, that came, they had a show, So you were surprised about them throwing this money, Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that was one of the things I was like, Yo, I think I want to do this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I want to get back to that.
Speaker 3: But what I find very interesting is you was in like the blackest state in the world, in the whitest state.
Speaker 4: Funny enough, the first place because my dad, my dad's like a big chrisp.
Speaker 1: Like heavy on really religion, right, so that's the Bible. Be's there.
Speaker 4: We seven Day Inventors, so we go to church day and they have like inter schools, universities, so every time we like, you go to school, anytime I went to the university, must be a Christian university. So the first place he sent me to was Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So I'm going straight from Legos, Nigeria. Wow, straight Chattanooga. And yeah, and then it was like predominantly like white school. You know what I'm saying. I don't think they were up to twenty black people in the whole community.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So I couldn't really you know, I wasn't really comfortable that because I'm coming straight from Africa. So he's like, okay, your sister, because my sister went to the same school. Your sister went to his school in Alabama, I'm good to call uncle.
Speaker 1: Was it awkward? Okay, I'm good to call your uncle to drive you there, see if you like it.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, all right, cool, driving to awkward as soon as I get down the car. So we walk in into like the registration where registered for school. Two dreadheads just passing small like weed.
Speaker 1: I'm like, like, it's not this bad, It's not like it's this is why I want school.
Speaker 4: I registered from the school and then then it was like it's an ENCU right next door with Alabama A and m wow, I'm saying. So from there I met these Jamaicans and it was a rap.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy?
Speaker 3: Us wouldn't even know that there's black people were in Alabama. I mean, of course we knowed black people in Alabama, but you wouldn't. You wouldn't understands the h we see you even when.
Speaker 4: I didn't think of it. I'm coming straight dude from Lego. So even like getting to school, I remember being asked questions like how did you get here?
Speaker 1: Like you guys because people I know, especially then the social.
Speaker 4: Media know black, so they know that okay, it's lit out there, but like then there was no social media to shoot anything, so it was like confusing to them.
Speaker 3: But so there's like like how you got out here? They thought they thought like like you took a camera.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 1: Only they knew.
Speaker 4: So, you know, that is interesting to see, like a different difference in like that time, this period of time when when you tell any oh I'm not yet, Oh I love not yet.
Speaker 1: So that was lovely to see.
Speaker 4: But that's experience helped me a lot, especially in my career when it comes to like explusual. You know, I believed in legals. I've lived in America, so I knew, you know what I'm saying, dope, though, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I love that that experience is because a lot of times I'm in the airport, right and the person will come to me and say I've been to the States, and I'll be like, first off, we don't call it the States, this one right, cool? And then they were like, yeah, I've been to like you know, Seattle. You're like, okay, that's cool. But you can't base the whole States on one place.
Speaker 1: It's a whole country. So I of the fact that you've got two different coaches shocks. You got the Alabama experience because that Bama.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Alabama, it's it's Alabama, Atlanta, Legos, those three. This is I take the Greyhounds to Atlanta. He can't, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It was crazy because like you can't go to one place in Africa and say.
Speaker 4: No, like when people go to when people got like, oh, I've been to Africa and they're like, I'm like where, Like, oh.
Speaker 1: South Africa, Like you're like him, yeah, South, everybody country forgotten, don't don't just my ma. He's in Southeast Africa.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I lost sometimes one of my favorite cities to be in. But it's like it's different.
Speaker 2: Looks like America, you know what I'm saying, And partially for the unfortunate fact of apartheide part of the reason because they stay.
Speaker 4: Long got there rather than like that you away, we go to independence, it's like right in the sixties. But if you come to Nigeria, like I took one of my best friends to Africa for the first time. You know, when we went to Ghana, went to Legos. If you can't survive in Legos, Legos.
Speaker 1: Is New York? Is that the capital? No, the capital the.
Speaker 4: Capital is That's what the president says. But Legos is really like New York or Nigeria. You know how if you can't survive in New York away from New York, Legos is like from Like that's how like New York is. So if you go to Africa and maybe your first trip you go to like Ghana, Ghana is a little bit more calm. Ghana is like probably like Miami, and then somebody that goes to Legos, like Yo, it's so headic, we party.
Speaker 3: Till twelve pm because her in Legos, it's only up two classes super super rich.
Speaker 4: There's no middle Like there's middle class, but it's not aluts that.
Speaker 1: Very very rich.
Speaker 4: And you know what I'm saying the gap is is really you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: This is rich, yeah, but it's crazy really Yeah, you ain't put me on there. You know.
Speaker 2: I love that they got a lot of oil money, right, and a lot of oil money.
Speaker 1: They have a oil money.
Speaker 2: There's a tech boomer in Nigeria too.
Speaker 4: Yes, recently there's been lots of like apps and text like this. This guy just sold this up for like the million dollars something. Somebody from Nigeria like natural stuff. So that's dope too. So the old culture is like moving, not only music wise, even.
Speaker 1: Like with the food.
Speaker 4: Like right now in New York, one of the biggest restaurants in Times Square is Legos Lounge.
Speaker 5: Really, I always jump. I know about the poppet and I still jump. I'm just yeah, my boy is right. It's right by Cross Studios. It's called Legos Lounge. You know, they saven Nagerai food and it's exciting to see, you know, the culture as a whole growing, not only music.
Speaker 4: You know fashion, you go to Prada, you go to Louis You see African prints now, like shirts and stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. So it's the whole.
Speaker 2: Even when I was in in uh in South Africa, they were they were saying Nigeria leads in terms of the music and a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: They were saying that even out and the scamming too. At one point.
Speaker 6: At one point was like, Yo, I got you man, just I'm gonna get right back to you.
Speaker 4: When when I first got into America, that was the night. That's what I'm saying. Is different now. So Dan, it's like away from night year old man, y'all be on that car ship like the nineteenth is changing, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 4: It's just like in America. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: How you do you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, people that was selling Yeah, yeah, that's all telling who like ecstasy?
Speaker 1: We know them dudes, Tesla, what is that? I don't know. He's gone What that means? It's like it's out of here.
Speaker 2: Okay, God damn listen, I'm going to Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Man might not come back coming death.
Speaker 4: Are you definitely got a visit? You know love artists. I've come to night to visit me.
Speaker 1: Little baby, little baby stayed in your house. Yeah, little baby came, the Migos came.
Speaker 4: Who else came?
Speaker 1: Cast see him in the video? Has to know who?
Speaker 4: I was so tired, Like imagine me being tired of going out in my own.
Speaker 1: Comets like what we're doing today, I'm well, he enjoyed, he enjoyed.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm waking up and telling me he don't let people Nageria though, like you know what I mean blended right, I'm.
Speaker 4: Waking up they telling me casting the hood. I'm like, Nikko, what you doing in the You know what I'm saying. So that was amazing to see. And I feel like anytime they come to nig and when they leave, you know what I'm especially for like little Baby and the Migos.
Speaker 1: That's not where Meek Male lost his phone, right and that was in Ghana. I was in Ghana. That was in Ghana.
Speaker 4: Okay, Michael Blacksman got'st his phone because he went through the main entrance of the show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, anybody was losing phone entrance.
Speaker 3: But yeah, let me ask you. Now, this is gonna I am paraphrasing.
Speaker 1: I am not what is this it called. I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 3: This is how I feel like music happened, right. I feel like music originated in Africa. I feel like as it was going across it got dropped off in Jamaica. Right when it got dropped off in Jamaica, Yes, it was little sprinkles. But when it went to like I said, I'm paraphrasing, I'm like some of this ship, I'm just are you paraphrasing though, I'm just I'm just let's say your freestyle. That's what I should have said. I'm freestyle. I'm like trying to this is coming trying to say. We all know music and the original man comes from Africa, right, so music everything has to come from Africa.
Speaker 1: At some point it hit the Caribbean. Let me not say just Jamaica. It hit the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: Then at some point it hit America and when that's what hip hop is discovered, right, hip hop kind of took over did whatever. And then it's like through hip hop.
Speaker 1: You got.
Speaker 3: Reggaeton, right, that came from not not not come from Yeah, I would say that hip hop. I think it's dance hall hip hop, then dance hall, right, and then no dance was before hip hop. But that's why I said got dropped off in Jamaica.
Speaker 1: You want to correct me. And then I was trying to make it percussionsion. That's where it all ties in. It's percussion, right.
Speaker 3: So what I'm trying to make is a correlation from hip hop became became the biggest genre in the world, then through hip hop reggaeton, and then from reggaetone. It's like I felt like I got a friend named at N right. He's actually from Senegal, but he but that's my man in France. And after I had I did reggae thone, and you know reggae thone blew up and did all that. He kept saying this African rigged thone. He didn't know how to call it afro beat. He wouldn't he knew I wouldn't understand if so, he would call it to me. He would say to me this African reggaeton and he would play me the music and I would be like, this ship is ill.
Speaker 1: But I was like, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: I don't know how, like and ten years later, so right now hear me just out the blue. I told him I was going on the path. I said, y'all going to Paris And then he goes, yeah, man, I said, I got, I got with the vido.
Speaker 1: He's like, I told you how you flipped just.
Speaker 3: That And it's like, did you did you feel like when you was when you guys were starting at were they fronting on y'all because it was a new genre of music or because you think it was coming from Africa?
Speaker 4: And especially for me because I was like one of the first to get like a major deal.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I'm coming from I'm coming from just getting I'm coming from just recording in the studio, telling my engineer you'll send me that. I'm calling my boy like yo, make a make a flyer posted it on Twitter on Instagram.
Speaker 3: It's blowing up the next day because one of your homies had a studio in the college.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, so that's how I'm used to doing music. It was, you know, it was a Christian school. Christian school, Yeah, dude that stayed every time. I used to hear music up hearing like and I was like, we'st not told this. So one day I'm like fuck that, I'm about to go check. So I knocked your door and I opened. His name is Jamo, you know, he wrote me the other He's like, yo, you said my name in the Indy all that dough.
Speaker 1: So his name is Jamo.
Speaker 4: So he opens the door and I see like a little studio set up.
Speaker 1: And then then in.
Speaker 4: School, like I'm getting like pocking money and stuff like this. I ain't never doing it.
Speaker 1: How much you got for the studio?
Speaker 4: I said, this whole set, so how much is it teaching me how to record? So he actually talked me out to use pro tools logic. I was only learning from YouTube as well. So I went to Guitar Center.
Speaker 3: I'll never forgetville got two thousands and they told you just.
Speaker 1: Terror you had tam Rex. God damn it. I apologize. I'm joking.
Speaker 4: I had a fifteen hundred, fifteen hundred for the studio, and there was like a package deal. So the fifteen hundred came in like interface, uh, laptop and everything like. So that's when I really started recording. So you know, over time, we've always been used to just recording the mixing up myster in the same day. So when I got my deal and crazy story, I got my deal and then the money came in, I'm like, we lit.
Speaker 1: Taking this is the same day I take all my boys to.
Speaker 4: Let me go.
Speaker 1: What's what's the nema Marcus? That's right, goddamn what you.
Speaker 4: Called first day, first thousand.
Speaker 1: Let's make some noise for that. So listen as day on the thousand we take trips, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: So I called my people, I'm like, yo, when we're gonna start recording the album.
Speaker 1: They're like, we got to book. What you mean it said the money did give you? You spent your budget, said the money to give you like the front of you was, you know, part of what you mentioned use for the album. So that was like my first Oh wow, reality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now it's a business, you know what I'm saying. So from there, recording the first the first project, you know, they put me in the studio, put me with different producers, I walked with like everybody, but I wasn't feeling it. Understand, I'm used to just being in Nigeria in the room, hawks featsing, no air c, little laptop. I got the mic, there's no standard. I got the mic in my hand. You know what I'm saying. Everybody around me were thinking of ideas. That's when the fire come out, you know what I'm saying. So that wasn't working out. And then I remember telling, you know, my management team like bro like ya didn't tell me this was you know, because I I'm comfortable. I'm in Nigeria. I'm twenty four, twenty three, I'm making I'm already making like two hundred thousand the show.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: In Nigeria, I'm comfortable. I'm flying to every African country. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's two hundred thousand in Nigeria. It's the same thing as two hundred thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: And you left dad to go to schools this after you left that.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no, I've been finished school.
Speaker 1: Okay. So this is okay, Okay, what's up?
Speaker 2: Drink Champs Army ready for a staggering statistic, nearly seventy seven percent of fathers settle for their ladies uncomfortable baby bag when they're outside with their kids. That's according to your very own eyes, so just look around. Settling is not where it's at. Dad's deserved better. No more struggling to find the wipes, the diapers, the cream, or your own personal items. Introducing the Flyest Dad Bag, the Firstborn from flydadgear dot Com. It's the perfect backpack to keep dad and baby ready for whatever. Twenty one compartments make it easy to keep everything in its place and never again to dig through the bottom this hole. That's your lady's bag. Trust me, I wouldn't have become a partner of fly Dad if it wasn't legit.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: Not only is the Firstborn my baby bag, but also the bag I take on set for drink Champs, the bag I travel with and pretty much might go to backpack for everything I do. If staying fly and being functional is your goal, head to fly dadgear dot Com, Forward, slash Amazon and get your fly dad back today.
Speaker 4: That's another story.
Speaker 1: You're gonna yea yeah, were gonna get into that. I got all the notes, so.
Speaker 4: So you know what I'm saying, coming from making so much money to you know, actually signing with the major and then you know, everything else to be planned. You got to turn in a single weeks before you know what I'm saying. So that was like the change for me. So I remember telling them like, look the predicide you guys put me in with. They cool, but I need to go home, Go home, because I was in America for like almost seven months.
Speaker 1: You got with your original producers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I was like, to be honest, like I actually woke up one and I just got mad. I'm like, look I need to go. So I just actually just got got on the plane went back home. My brother in two weeks from when I got back home.
Speaker 1: Ef I there, you say, I love you two weeks.
Speaker 4: So like, but just getting home and getting back in that vibe, you know, with my main producers and also telling them like you know, I'm giving them in splace like yo, we got a major deal now like it's about to be different. So we're working and then we shot the video for that that particular record, and at this point in my career, imagine being like every artist goes through it, you know that point when you're like you, you know, when you're so hot you untouchable, and then down the line you start looking like yo, it's kind of it's kind of getting quiet fading, you know, like every axis goes to the that's the worst thing ever, you know what I'm saying, being and then it looks kind of, you know, shaky. So I was out that period in my life where it's like, you know what I'm saying, like nah, nah, nah, I need to go back, you know what I'm saying. So immediately I got back home, go back to my mojo.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I remember going to the label after I recorded at home, playing them the music and they're like, yeah, it's nice, but they're not thinking. They're thinking, is how's this gonna get on the radio?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying about your people's in Nigeria saying this, nah, like the label, the label I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to Nigeria recorded, you know what I'm saying some music.
Speaker 1: They're not sure how to translate that here. Yes, So I'm like, it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna work, I'm telling them. I'm like, they're like, it's gonna work. So I got points. They're looking at me like, you know what, let's just let him do what he wants to do. What years is this twenty seventeen? So I signed my deal in twenty fifteen. In twenty sixteen was like a dead year from me. Wow, that was like the year like figuring it up. Oh so twenty seventeen, got that record, shot the video, we dropped it two days later. I called myself, I told you so. Then from then they started, you know, allowing me have like my you know, creative face, and then everything's just so.
Speaker 2: Crazy hotly And did they know was it already being called afrobeats?
Speaker 4: No, you know afrobeats originally it fell out of genre because you didn't like that word applebeats right at first.
Speaker 1: Because it's it's it's it's now it's too late, you know.
Speaker 2: I wanted not to get up, but I wanted to ask you, like, do you like the division and calling something?
Speaker 4: Because no, because if you go and listen to my album now, like there are songs there that are downhall right, yes, like this song with me on dext adapts this song. There's another song on the album called for the Road that's that's basically a downs all templates, but because an African music sign is singing.
Speaker 1: It, we call it apple beats.
Speaker 4: Afrobeats originally is feller is a certain kind of music.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it just beats literally, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Yes, no beats on vocals as well. So one of the first places that I know edged African music was London, the UK, you know the UK.
Speaker 2: That was like they're ahead of a lot always when you blow up back home, when you blow up back home, just like drumming bass over there, they're always ahead and up.
Speaker 4: When you blow up back home. To solidify your success is you got to go to do a show in London.
Speaker 3: That's like I'm on, I'm saying, that's where all the Africans go when they leave the country and they on it's London and London, you know, proximity.
Speaker 4: So London has always been, you know, the place, so like almost New York in America, New York always gets the first, it's always New York. But in Europe, in Europe, London was the main place. W was London that I think there was one public I don't I'm one hundred percent sure, but I think like a big newspaper did like a article and it was like afro beats.
Speaker 1: A phase or here to stay like that.
Speaker 4: So it was a big conversation and then we just ended up being called afrobeats.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like almost a story, and.
Speaker 2: Like even reggaitar artists, you can't tell me there's some that did, some that do R and B. There was to put on the under the right doesn't sound like anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to call it. They used to call a Spanish reggae right. To me, that was more of a of an appropriate name, to be honest with you, because it was murder, she wrote, jacked up. The beginning of it was.
Speaker 3: Very true, very I don't think I don't think no one could argue that. Okay, so but all let's talk about your your cousin h MPZ narrow.
Speaker 4: So I'm the last of five kids born.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I've always been the youngest in the household.
Speaker 3: Everyone else worked for your pops. Yeah, okay, you're the only renegade.
Speaker 4: I'm still gonna go back and work, he said, he's still going back. Oh, I'm going back for about to work for your pops.
Speaker 1: It's that real.
Speaker 4: So you know I was the youngest, Yeah, m PC, so I was the youngest. You know what, I'm saying around. So I my house always had all my cousins there, you know what I'm saying. So one of my cousins and PS, he's the one that actually the first person that took me to the studio. Wow, you know what I'm saying. He was my best cousin. Like you know when you have that older cousin that you're always excited like, yo, he's coming today, blah blah. So he's the one that, you know, first took me to the studio. And he was a prospect artist.
Speaker 1: So it was four of us.
Speaker 4: My cousin be Read be Red brother she know, then MPs in me. So I wanted to be like the producer.
Speaker 1: I wanted to stay You could he just write music at first? Right?
Speaker 4: So I was writing music producing for those three artists. Yes, because you know, my boy has taught me how to engineer and stuff like that. So I was already doping that. So and then I already knew my dad wasn't gonna fuck with me. Wanted to be a full out musician. So I was like, you know what, I rather just be in the background. And then I was like, I just meant I'd like this mental I used to look up to Don Jozy. He's like the biggest producer in that year at the time. So he'd like sign artists write for them, get a percentage of their ship. You know what I'm saying now, I go. So, yeah, he was the one that like we all looked up to, like yo and piece is gonna blow. I wanted to be in the background. So you know, over time, like I was hiding from my dad like that, I do music because my dad was just all about school.
Speaker 1: It's not in line with religion either, like the religion side of it. He was religious, very religious. I'm saying the music wasn't in line with that. He probably wasn't feeling the normal team in my family. You go to school, get your education, graduates, go work for Pops.
Speaker 4: You want to work for Pops. Your offices they're waiting for you. Me and all my siblings were all directors on the companies.
Speaker 1: That's you know how it is, just like so noise to Pops man, that's real generation. Well yeah, you know how it is.
Speaker 3: No That's why I say, like, you know how it is, that's the greatest aspire for the black people.
Speaker 4: Like you know how it is with like the people they always like want their son to take over off like that.
Speaker 1: Course.
Speaker 4: So and and mind you, I, of all my siblings, I'm the only one that grew up in Nigeria. Where did they grow up at? London, Switzerland? Oh, my sisters went to Swisser I think in London, Switzerland and America. My brother graduated from Warhouse in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: So I was playing HM.
Speaker 4: So I was the only one because I was the last born, so they wanted to child with them said like no, David states, So I did elementary school, high school in Nigeria. So all those times like I wanted to do music. Who ah, we just had in my head like bro, my dad not gonna let me, you know what I'm saying. So that's why I wanted to be in the background, you know what I'm saying. So from so, remember when I told you about the strip club situation. That was the day I said I'm not going back school.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't go back at that because I was already like, are we going supposed to make some noise to strippers? Yeah? I feel like maybe not going back that's a positive ship e me.
Speaker 4: I did finish school though, you know what I'm saying. From that moment, I actually wanted to like move to Nigeria because I saw the industry growing. You know what I'm saying. So crazy story. So I go to Nigeria for Christmas. Every Christmas, my dad flies those back home.
Speaker 1: They tell me in Nigeria, that's the best time to go. Is this.
Speaker 4: Is good, I'm telling you, Like we do forty eight hour parties. Like people potsy to ten am, they go take a shower, come right back.
Speaker 1: I'm in. You know what I'm saying. I'm already feel like I'm there. I'm on my way. I got my shirt all right now this is exactly what So.
Speaker 4: I remember like this exact story, like so I'm in Nigeria for Christmas. You know what I'm saying. So we go to the club, and we go to the club. Mind you, I was just with these artists in America went to the strip club. And then another sense of artists walking like in Peace Square this club called club we have p Square. Whiskey it was they whiskey was just like coming up. And then like one day call another artist was there. Boy, they walked in. All the girls were crazy.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, I want that I want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know that feeling, I said.
Speaker 4: I said, I look myself and I said the first and I want So I was like and I knew, like I did drive, Like that's what I wanted to do. So I said, Mom's gonna talk to my dad and tell my dad that I want to transfer my credits from my college in Alabama, Nigeria. Wow, because there was there was like same Christian school. I could do that. So I remember going to him and I went to him and I told him. He's like, what, no, no, no, go back to school.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you why not that. That's a great story and I'm gonna get straight to it. But why not try to start your music away from Alabama or Atlanta? What made you say let me go back home?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: I know you said that moment well, he said the artist that came something over there was one.
Speaker 1: Of the biggest video directors in that Yer, all right, look like it. You got you gotta.
Speaker 3: Because you know you could have you could have you could have you could have lost your career from from Alabama or Atlanta. But what was the moment that made you say let me go back home? I know you said earlier seeing those artists. But what but you you went back to Nigeria. What made you go back to Nigeria in the first place?
Speaker 4: I mean, first of all, I think, the fuck, that's not tryly wanting to be home, right, you know what I'm saying. The money they changing the club, right, you know what I'm saying, and don't see seeing that. I knew that was going to become something right, and I do want to be left outs.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what you felt left, you know them back home? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, you know why I say that because most artists, like from New York, they let me not know that.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. We I used to remember, I learned her to record. So the whole time, I'm not really wanting to be.
Speaker 1: An artist like that because my dad and he's wanting to produce. He wants to be in the back.
Speaker 4: So that that that made me fall in love. What I saw made me fall in love. So that's what I wanted to do African music. Like I say this, I cannot do be better than Chris Brown. Chris, I cannot do better. So it's something I always say. I don't do what I know how to do what I was gifted to do, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's just crazy.
Speaker 4: Even when I used to play African music in the dorm and my friends will walked by, like, Yo, what's.
Speaker 1: That I said, African music, It's like, oh, that's dope.
Speaker 4: So I always knew that if we had the opportunity to be heard, people you know, flown.
Speaker 1: To us and that's not one of the biggest musics in the words.
Speaker 2: And it was a smart movie because you probably realized there's a window here that you got to be in that window before it goes away.
Speaker 4: And then with me, you know how you said, you said, oh, why didn't I start the music in America? It's amazing because I called it like it was like a three sixty. I left America because.
Speaker 3: He was in a group in America too, right, Yeah, because I just took okay, cool cool cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I left America.
Speaker 4: And then I remember even we used to send our ce these to a kon in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: All the time, he fronting on you. Yeah, good boy, but you know you want to be the only didn't see the window.
Speaker 4: I mean, eventually like he came to Nigeria, then you know, he like he collaborate, said with you know a couple of us. You know, I still want to give a shout out to him. A lot of people that Africa, you know, didn't you know, pull up so they can did this fashal work, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And he always advocates for Africa.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So me leaving Atlanta going to Nigeria. I remember I was leaving school. I remember my friend said, man, you dumb. I said, I'm dumb. I'll watch watch what happened.
Speaker 1: But you know he said, you're dumb for leaving school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was pucking my stuff. I'm like, mom, I'm going back to my country.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was school was crazy country.
Speaker 4: We had decided we had a group like a crew in school, and they was trying to get online to join this cap on fraternity Kappa.
Speaker 1: It was online for Captain.
Speaker 4: So they're trying to get me to do I said, bye, bye, Copa, I don't go have me for what I was. I'm going to So I was packing my stuff. I'm like, yo, I'm out. You're like, man, you dumb and leave school.
Speaker 1: I said, what man? Two years later he hit me, You're like yeah, you said that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So just even leaving school until today, like when I see messages from like my classmates and they're right to me, like, yo, boy, you did that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you, like I know it's gonna be funny, but like coming to America, when Eddie Murphy came to America, he was acting poor, like what you had.
Speaker 4: A lot of people didn't know. Per se. The only time people knew that my dad had money was when I did this record called Downy Duro.
Speaker 1: That was in school. Oh in school, not nah, in school, like in school, just.
Speaker 4: One time the dude asking me, yo, why don't you ever go to a financial age? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He was like I just noticed something. Never go to financially so what I didn't know?
Speaker 4: So so one days like so I didn't know, like like because my dad would just be sending money to the school account.
Speaker 1: He's like, if you ever checked your school account?
Speaker 2: Thing?
Speaker 4: I said, no, I'm in school.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Why did.
Speaker 4: She's like, come, let's go to our accounting. So we go to accounting.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: So the ladies like, what's your school? Like I said, what she said? She gave me the slip when I took that ship sixty four thousand, like balance, that's my boy was like, you know you can take it out right.
Speaker 6: You kept.
Speaker 4: This guy, this guy because because no he's from New York, my guy from pro. So he's like, you know you can take it out. So I'm like, so I'm like okay, because you know in Africa, you're not onto you, Marie, Ye're under your appearance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's when I came to America that I knew that, Oh there's indeed, like, oh I'm America, I'm a team.
Speaker 1: You can't tell me what to do. I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know in Nigeria you can be tetsi. You still be answering to your parents. So it was when I got to America, I said, I have my blue passports, I'm on my team.
Speaker 1: So I went to the.
Speaker 4: Accounting and guy was like, yo, I'm trying to take joy. But they wrote me that check so quick and then I went and cashed there. Every Friday, men, the boy is New Jordan's that's yeah, I'm time with pumming up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was that was then that was yes, yes, hold on, I'm just picture in this so all right, So now the brothers are the brother from New York.
Speaker 1: They smelled the shot. This is a shot. Okay, okay, it's crazy, so from like them.
Speaker 4: And then that was even when like you go even deep out with the music because like and then I moved out the dorm. I got a house with my Jamaican friends.
Speaker 1: From New York. We started doing.
Speaker 4: We started doing like we started playing dominoes, like we got a crib. You know, they're playing dominoes outside. They got the you know, drink and they started we started smoking. And then this went like the lifestyle aspects that they called me. You know, I got my first tattoo. Then it started. That's when I was like, yeah, I'm gonna do this music. What's your first tattoo? Not a hyena? This one all right?
Speaker 1: Okay, except.
Speaker 4: You know this little this little too, and I go like most of my time was.
Speaker 3: Like way yo, okay, so listen, we know everybody's from Africa, right, everybody everybody's from Africa, right, So I want you to look around the room and tell people where you think were part of Africa they're from.
Speaker 7: You can start with me, no, no, no, Liberia. He's from Liberia, Southern.
Speaker 4: African you yeah, yeah, need mind that leads in.
Speaker 1: That Ye give me Morocco. At least I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Ghana, Ghana, South Africa, South Africa, Morocco, Morocco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going off for you.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 8: No, I forgot that's a great game, right.
Speaker 1: You look just like okay, all right, so listen, did you just tell me the scorp You're like, get a lighter?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so look so look you want to play, yes, Tima.
Speaker 1: Stan all right, we're gonna get okay, yeah for me. You know, we want you to know.
Speaker 3: Our show is about giving people flowers, so we want to give you your flowers to your face. You know what I'm saying, Yoe, you put the whole country, You put a whole everything on your constant, whole country. You put the whole continent on your that's right, that's right, brother, that's a brother. You put the whole continent on your back. You put music on your back.
Speaker 1: Like literally.
Speaker 3: When we googled or we researched you, literally it came up the King of Afrobeat. It literally did it literally did prox Like I'm not even playing around, and but we want to tell you that to your face because you don't. You ain't got to read that. We could say that face the face, man and man and continue to do what you do. You're a pure legend.
Speaker 1: Man. You ain't have to be a legend. You could have.
Speaker 3: You could have consplicated this ship. And you know what I mean, like and you ain't somewhere else but you you motherfucking went and you went, you like the you like the Robin Hood in the verse. You know what I'm saying, Like you went, you went.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? You know what I mean. You know rock Hood was poor and rich. He was rich.
Speaker 3: He give you the pall like that's fire. That's a Robin Hood did nobody. Robin Hood is not rich. Robber Hoods fucked up.
Speaker 1: Ahead of that.
Speaker 3: He was a But yeah, so we wanted to give you a flowers face to face man.
Speaker 1: And by the way, because we heard did you you just water? You brought Richard Milly and I made back just because it was your birthday. No, no, I got this one. This see you you got you. No, I ain't got that one.
Speaker 3: It's the only watching I don't got is the paddock, you know, for my wife, for your wife. This is my main watch. Just got it by Lady Holy Ship. But so that's what your birthday?
Speaker 1: You got that?
Speaker 4: No, it was my wife's birthday. O your Yeah, but she got so you got you got No. I just su bought myself for the album. My album came out. It was like a month, so I just.
Speaker 1: Got like made back the new Virgil Mayback. Yeah, and then I got this. She makes no noise.
Speaker 2: Man, I think I think you gotta you gotta give him a fair warning. If you start getting emails from Sonny, beware of those American scammings. You's gonna be in your DM email. Yeah, this is quick time explaining them again. Now we get two choices. You pick one, all good if you if you say both or neither. We drinking easy, Yeah, we're drinking a shot. Where's the where's this Jamie?
Speaker 1: He's got a shot. You're gonna get your shot right now? Okay? Yeah, all right, you're in a poor for him.
Speaker 2: You said.
Speaker 1: Big though, you get your shots? Ready? Yeah, all right, ready? Yeah, TUPAKT d m X okay for me? Yeah, whiz Kid or burn the boy shot?
Speaker 2: Uh? Helligi Martel okay, yes, Martel, you could say mine's Martell too.
Speaker 1: I mean you just set it on the microphone. Oh damn, Angel, what's the big Oh he got the key? All right, Angel? All right, my bad. So yeah, I'll take you yeah, yeah, yeah, you hope, But you're holding up the shot. No, because I mean they, I mean, Jamie, you holding up the shot. You know we need to shot. Yeah, those points say yeah, take a shot of champagna. Put it in your shot.
Speaker 3: I wait, I wait, I take a real shot. You gotta take ma tell take yea, I'll take them all.
Speaker 1: Tell with you. I'll take a motel and.
Speaker 2: Then you gotta take a mamajuanna shot that Dominican mamajuna.
Speaker 1: Thank you. This is yo to you. Brother. Hold on that w Kid or burning Boy? Right? Yeah, he said both. I said shot, yes, yes, what did you do? Versus I'm ready? Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Hey, anybody I'm putting on the table right now. Anybody, let's go so whiz Whiz Kid or burn a Boy. That's good for anybody, Okay. I just wanted to be clear, that's all. But I feel like it'll be it'll be nice for like, no, not only justin about competing, but just for the culture.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That would be dope.
Speaker 1: I'm open to. It's open.
Speaker 3: And then after that, which I'll do three on three afro beats against regg Don't y'all.
Speaker 1: Not ready for that? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That would be great for the culture too, Okay, that'll be dope. Dance all what three? What three dancehol artist would.
Speaker 4: Be no no, no, no no no. So if it hims you, if it's gonna be, if it's gonna be the three of us.
Speaker 3: You burn a boy with kid against against popcorn popcorn.
Speaker 1: Because of my.
Speaker 2: Own like they're gonna you're gonna be out of jail because ain't he No, No, I would have put es. I would put he's gonna get diverses though I say popcorn, Yes.
Speaker 4: Dext adapts popcorn, dext adapts.
Speaker 1: And alkaline alkaline, let's go. That would be crazy, But you don't want it with Daddy, Yankee and Well and Nikki Jam. I think that would be ill. That would be That would be like hemispheres against each other. Yeah, you know Bad Bundy.
Speaker 3: No, nobody knows Bad Bunny. You know you know Bad Bunny on the record together.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give you something whenever he see him, just playing for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, y'all gotta do something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we just make some ship up. Why's the ship coming to Fruition? It should let's all poll get that bigge gone all right? A connor tea pain? Oh shut okay, please, no outside influences.
Speaker 1: Get you ready for me? Hold on, let me get that. But that's that's that Japanese that motell montell White. M mm hmmm mm hmmm, m h m hm.
Speaker 2: No like at the well, get they got me.
Speaker 1: Go the next one, little baby or the baby. I do both my friends, we think, take a shot cool Japanese.
Speaker 3: Let me get my let me get let me get my my real Motel.
Speaker 8: You want that Montel, will get that real Montel Williams this time. Yea, that Motel warmed me up. I ain't gonna lie beat right now? Yeah about the beat.
Speaker 1: I got a record ready and.
Speaker 2: All that.
Speaker 1: Sallows taking that against it?
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: We gotta learn. What does that mean? It's going? It's going gone. We sound like assholes, right hey man, We're gonna learn. We start.
Speaker 3: We sounded like assholes when we first started this ship.
Speaker 2: And we learned that's true. That's true. Were still sound like ass because boy, that's it's hit me right now. It's no or ta.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna watch this episode. I'm gonna get it. You're gonna watch.
Speaker 2: We're gonna put something, all right. Migos are outcasts migos Okay, Castro p Square Casper Castro? Did you just mean Casper Castro from Ghana? Okay, but there's Casper also Square. Okay, bou or Bounty.
Speaker 1: Bouju. This is interesting TV series or movies TV series. You gotta you gotta documentary coming out in December two.
Speaker 4: I'm not showing. I kind of spoke too quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I sawry. You know, it's one of the things I was not meant to say. Okay, all right here spin All or black Coffee shot spin All? Come on, Man at L or Miami at L. Baby like answer you knew at L, Young Thug in future, Young Thug, you have did a record together, right? We got three records? Jadakiss or NOAs nos.
Speaker 2: N w A or Woolf Tank Clan n w A, Top Boy or Snowfall, Snowfall, Magic City or Onyx Magic Radio or podcast podcast. I was waiting for him to think about it. Uh, fab or pusher fab pop can vibes, Cartel popcorn pop co popcor Well, what is it?
Speaker 1: Popcat poppy pop.
Speaker 2: As you see, I'm nineties dance all poppy for sure, even Drake you know you laugh Jamaican my homie clown Hi POPCN pop Con I'm in. I'm gonna check it out now gigs or Skepta skeptic snuoper jay z.
Speaker 1: Shot take a shot now you got.
Speaker 5: Whoa?
Speaker 1: Whoa?
Speaker 3: I ain't gonnat You supposed to drink that when it's cold out, ship warm your whole ship up.
Speaker 9: Facts go ahead, dre or puff puff Yeah, you're for h okay.
Speaker 1: Shot shot you hit the oil guy Sonny who when he wants shut out eclipse oils man.
Speaker 3: Let me get someone, Let me get want the gumbo, Want of the gumbo, roll up my gum blow.
Speaker 1: And then with the tabler. All right, right, where do you whoa? This is the last question is yours? Oh yeah? Loyalty or respect? Loyalty? Explain why?
Speaker 4: I mean like, you can't fall out with anyone, Like you can have miss understandings sometimes and you might feel disrespectful.
Speaker 1: But like loyalty, like like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If I'm with you, like I'm basically putting my life in your hands.
Speaker 1: So i'd rather you be low.
Speaker 4: I'd rather I always fall out about maybe you doing something crazy, then you stabbing me in the back that could hurt me.
Speaker 1: And you know what I'm saying. I think I said loyalty loyalty. I'm taking a shot for that. And again like me, you give what you want.
Speaker 4: I respect you, I mean various, whether you're older, whether you're younger, whether you're rich or poor, I respect you.
Speaker 1: So I want to receive that back, you know, so you know without saying to me loyalty loyalty.
Speaker 3: Salo, Yeah, did you just probably put on a Jamaican accent hold on little beef patty and cocoa bread.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a crazy there was a there was a restaurant I used to go to an Alabama called the Island Jerk. Island Jerk that was so they saw the beef patty and he put it in the coco bread. But you know, they like this like it's like they put like I don't know if he's.
Speaker 2: A milk or something in the coco bread or in the in the sandwich, in the in the cocoa bread. Yeah, it has to the way. It's like, you know, Priss coco bread is so good.
Speaker 1: Now you snuffed the immigration agent. I thought you said he sniffed on. I mean, like that back there.
Speaker 4: He said, yeah, yeah, I got yeah, I gotta go to Australia and.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're already yeah, yeah, one of those days. You know.
Speaker 4: It wasn't me though, Okay, okay, it wasn't Meto. It's one of my little brother but it's all sorted out.
Speaker 1: It was nothing. It was nothing though. Okay, it's cool. So but now, like like you just said, you going to Australia.
Speaker 3: I remember at one time, like Africa was looked at as like like a bad place, like people didn't want to go. And now not only people want to go African brothers is now it's traveling in the world.
Speaker 1: How does that feel?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I mean, like like I said, you know, because of social media and stuff, you know, now you see like the good possible. You know, sometimes if you if there's only one a venue to see something, what everybody show you? That's what that's the that's the thing you see you know what I'm saying, not not to knock off any new channel, but I don't even want to mention any new channel. But no, I'm just saying just in general. When you go in New China and the show Africa.
Speaker 1: Fox five, you know one part let me tell you. Let me tell you it's a whole continent. Places in Miami. Of course, that's you will don't believe this is America.
Speaker 4: So every place I can show you somewhere right now that if I if I tell you that this is legal, so you'd be like, it's a lot, you know what I'm saying. So I'm happy that we have other avenues to showcase the country. I'm happy that's you know, we can shoot a music video in Nigeria and they'll ask.
Speaker 1: You, oh, you show that video in La. I'm like, nah, that's legos.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be able to showcase that and the videos come out, they get two hundred three hundred million views. That's at least fifty million people that the narrative has already changed, like, oh that's my Jeria. I'm going you know what, I'm so entertainmental has been some kind of Civio two, you know show that you know, every place has its back pots, every place. You know what I'm saying. It's just like even in America, they're like, oh, I don't think you should go to this area at this time. That's that's everywhere, you know what I'm saying. So, like I said, when I first got to America for school, there were no educated tell the people were asking me how did.
Speaker 1: I get here? You know what I'm saying. So you know what I'm saying. But guess what, But guess what? Guess what?
Speaker 4: You can't you can't blame them. One day, one day we were in we went for a show, and uh, what's it like? Was it San Francisco? Remember went to a show? I had a show in San Francisco. Bro sold out. It's like crazy, twelve thousand people. So in the hotel and this hotel is like very expensive. So me and my brother we go outside to smoke. So we go outside to smoke, and and I didn't get offended by what this lady said because she was really just didn't understand she was not educated. Actually took my time and told her, explained our culture and everything is how you know, they only.
Speaker 1: Show the back pods and stuff. Like that. So she came to show what are you guys doing here? Just randomly like doing at the hotel? Okay? She was like, Karen, I know it was cool, but no, but she wasn't. I can't, I can't lie. It wasn't carry.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like a Karen.
Speaker 1: She just really wanted to be So she's like, so you have rich Karen. So yeah, oh come on. She was dripped out, you know. Okay, okay, So you know she first saw me, She's like, oh wow, nice watch. So what do you guys doing here?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Hey man, very nice, lady, polite. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're here for a show. Oh wow? Where?
Speaker 4: And I told her because it was like a university show. So I was like, Howard, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: She's like oh wow, So like how like how did you what are you guys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I explained to her. I was like, okay, I do African music.
Speaker 1: I used to live.
Speaker 4: So after me talking to her phone fifteen minutes, we became best friends. Like she took I took her phone and I was like, yo, this is my music. She's like, she's gonna listen. You'll follow me on the ground. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So she follows you on a GRAM, she hits you in a DM, she fire everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's just made me sure that if lots of people are educated correct.
Speaker 1: About the things, sometimes it takes a conversation.
Speaker 4: Yes, So like I could have gotten offended from the first thing she came to say, which was how are you guys here? I could have been like talking about you understand. But because I want to really educate, And that's one of the reasons why I do this, because I really want to educate people about the culture. Like I've said it, I've lived in both places. I understand. Do you understand? So for me to take my time my next slink to I changed our mind. I changed our mind in fifteen minutes. So imagine what the music is doing now I wasn't been doing the last time. I'm looking at Kyo, like my album just came out a month ago. I have every type of people singing everything word to word on that's crazy, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful, they say, they say, they say that it's three things.
Speaker 3: It's universal, it's it's music, food, and I forget the third one fashion, fashion or maybe sex, maybe sex.
Speaker 1: Second Universe, yeah, Second universe. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember being at the airport and just uh, I'm upstairs in a band just came through and like a mariachi band but it wasn't Manoacchi and I just remember them just playing it, and I remember all different colors, queeds, the people who just stopped as we were eating and just stopped and watched this band. And I was like, you know what's crazy about this. This man can be a kukus Klan right here. I could be whatever, this person could be whatever, this person, but we all stopped for this very moment to watch this band just come and walk over and just play this music and we and I was like, music is the most universal stiff, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Because like we go to conches, like I go to countries where like like I'm trying to order food, I don't even know what I'm saying. I go to the show, they say, yes, yes, I'm saying. So it's like like I remember I was in the country the other day. I called him, like, yo, I need my stuff iron, So I give him my clothes. I just to my stylus just bought this. Give him my clothes. He goes downstairs. After like twenty minutes, I'm like, ah, we are my clues.
Speaker 1: I called him. I washed, I washed.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, oh shit, iron, yeah, like he washed my clothes so don that I was even getting where. I was like these people even to all that food is so hot. Boy, we went to the show I'm talking about because you know what I thinking too? I think and also so we have broken English in Nigeria. We have my where I'm from Ocean, we have our lookout dialects Yoruba.
Speaker 1: Is there more than one? Yes?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 2: In South Africa, there was like that is something languages in Isia and what's crazy?
Speaker 1: And two hundred and something languages in Agera now now listen to this this but this is no hold. But this was wild. This wild.
Speaker 2: What I learned when I went to South Africa that not only is there all these different dialects, different tribes they know, they know English, they know and they know like three other languages. Here we are Americans and we can't learn but two languages. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying. One is be good to you? Oh man, you got two? We bought lingual. They try quad keep going.
Speaker 4: The languages you speak just Yoruba and English, but then we speak broken English.
Speaker 1: So broken English, you'll speak Atlanta.
Speaker 2: I do, I do.
Speaker 3: Atlanta may Yeah, that's funny as fun Who you did gonna win?
Speaker 1: Papa Jermaine Duprie.
Speaker 4: Oh they got a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know the thing. Yeah, ain't. We're just taking a shot. I'm gonna take a peep. He picked, he picked pup. Let me see. Oh no, we gotta you know, we gotta watch. Yeah, you gotta watch it. We're gonna take a shot for that because you ain't picked. Cheers. I'm good.
Speaker 3: Oh so the f record, right, yeah, do you consider that your breakout record? It's not said, you know, I had I had some like records before that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I work and especially like how if I fall blew up for me by the type if in the fall blew up in America and the label is calling, like, yo, you gotta come out here. The record's blowing up. You gotta do promo. By the time I've done that, I'm like back home. I'm like seven records.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't want to go to America now at this point you're like America?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like.
Speaker 4: It's like seven records. See let me tell you any legos. They call us entertainers for anything. Baby, they can call you for a baby shower, two hundred K wedding. You do one wedding here before you finishing the wedding, your guy, my guy called miss me.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 4: There's one guy that just wants you to call my dos chill team give you one hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: Good there. So what's what's what's sports? And sports?
Speaker 2: What it like?
Speaker 1: I'm in whatever whatever's going on in so like like I.
Speaker 4: Like I already told you like coming off that to even my deal, you know what I'm saying. But if you really want to you know, the main thing is changing the ninety ties. So that's why we're like, we gotta you know, we gotta switch it up now.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: We can't do what we used to do a couple of years ago. You know what I'm saying. They're calling me, throwing all kinds of money at me, my manage to tell me that we can't do I'm like, fuck you feel me. But it's for a great of course.
Speaker 3: They say, it's not what you accept, it's about what you don't accept it makes you a legend. Holy moly, walk the only hold up you want me?
Speaker 1: Yo? The dm X story. Oh no no, no, no, no no no, that's not in Nigeria, right what? H Well?
Speaker 2: And Gola, Yeah that's where the d MX almost got kidnap. Yeah yeah, that's not the same. Yeah yeah, yeah, you've been to Angola of course.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: He was like, I'm trying to leave, give me because niggas out there run the government. Niggas out there run the government like your pops run the government. He tried to get you arrested the first show.
Speaker 1: Your pop trying to get my paths don't run the government. You know what I'm saying. It's very influential.
Speaker 4: So what it was was obviously you know I was when I actually left, like decided that, you know, I want to face this music.
Speaker 1: Like I was.
Speaker 4: I hid it so much from my family that I don't know why. I was just so reloked dot to just tell them, like, this is what I want to do. But I don't know because I'm just used. I didn't want to disappoint them because I'm just used to how the family has always this. This this is generations of generations of going to school, doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: Even your god father, my godfather is he drove me from the hospital.
Speaker 4: That's my golf. He reaches black man in the world.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right, this is wind y'all hold on, bear with me.
Speaker 4: But see, but let me tell you something. As much money that I've been saying all this reach districh. Thats my dad is very disciplined.
Speaker 1: Wow, very very difference.
Speaker 4: You can't tell, like he said, very very disciplined, mane I said, I ain't know we had money till I was thirteen.
Speaker 1: That's that means a lot, very well.
Speaker 4: My dad was a billionaire driving and like Honda called, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: He's a much better nigger than me. I'm telling that's let me. Let me let me tell you. I knew he was lit. So I love this ship, right right, I love this so something I mean.
Speaker 4: Something something I put in Nigeria where like the area that we were living in there was like a mistake, like a bomb blastop on and then like loads of houses go destroyed.
Speaker 1: You say, a bomb blast, Yeah, like she should I that it happens sometimes.
Speaker 3: I mean, just you know, if it happens in America, Damn you right, you see you right, I'm judging, judging, but I don't think. I don't think I got white people out there because like you know what I'm saying, Like I'm saying, when I think about bomb blast, I'm sorry, I think of white people, don't no niggas.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Okay, something something on, something explosions, something, but something.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of houses go destroyed.
Speaker 4: And our first house growing up as a kid, so this is like from when I was going to when I was like eleven, right, So we had like a it was it was a big compound like a bungalow, but nothing crazy.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying When you call it a compound, I mean it wasn't It wasn't like, it wasn't crazy.
Speaker 4: So when that happened, we had to leave that day because the house got so fucked up.
Speaker 1: So we leave.
Speaker 4: So my mom was like, oh, I'm David, leave the house.
Speaker 1: I'm like, house, you going to your other houses? Yet you said building the.
Speaker 4: House since like it's on the news part of the town, like he's been building this, Well I didn't. I was a kid, Like I didn't even know the car just started driving for that, I said, okay, boy it was and he still stays there.
Speaker 1: Now big it is huge crip. So I'm like, what, what's good? Like, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Like then that's when I started realizing that something's going this guy you that over time, I just like groups of me, but like a lot of people, like, he's very silent, like my dad, doesn't show, doesn't doesn't even my even my concerts. He picks the ones he comes comes to. Like my dad, woul rather just have a one on one me closed doors. Very very disciplined man. Do you understand even with unqueco we got I'm talking about that riches a black man, don't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the richest black man in the world. Yes, And is he one of the richest people in the goal reaches black man. Yes.
Speaker 4: Every time I see every time he sees me, you know, he tells me you have to go and buy an car in the blog you don't like, I saw you bought another car.
Speaker 1: Save your money? Fuck yeah, buy another car, you know.
Speaker 4: So I'm just telling you, like apart from like even like with successful my dad, he's a very very disciplined man and very very good feeling, you know, even opportunity. He's giving us so much opportunities, me and my family, like even with the music. It's been very very supportive, you know what I'm saying. You know, at first he really just wanted me to finish school.
Speaker 3: Because the first he gots your girlfriend arrested, He's wold.
Speaker 4: I said, listen, let me tell you if you if you book me for a show, the promoter, the crew, the people backstage, you would have paid to come and watch me, you're going inside. So like because he wanted me to go back to school, so he was upset with you when you left. Definitely, you know what I'm saying. Just you know what I'm saying, like you send your you send your kid overseas. Like listen, even when they told him, even when they told him like your David has not been.
Speaker 1: In school, he was like, no, that's not my David. David. You can never you have stand up feeling. So I'm like, ah, you heard. Yes.
Speaker 4: When when everything casted, I said to myself, I said I cannot.
Speaker 1: I said how they said in.
Speaker 4: America, the cats is out of the bag. I can never go home disappointments. Since since everything is out almost go home, it can like, the next time I want my daddy to see me, he must be proud of me.
Speaker 1: So that was really one of my reasons.
Speaker 4: Jersey's disappointments, I like out of it so hurt. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Imagine this ship wouldn't it work? You would have been the only one.
Speaker 4: But I said, no, I'm going back. So so I was in London for a bit. And London is where I recorded the first couple of songs that I eventually dropped. You know that, you know, set me up. So I was learning for like four months.
Speaker 1: And no, No, I was in Yeah I was. I was like, that was it. I'm a worldwide keep going, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 4: So you know, after being in London for a imagine I've run away. He don't call the school. They're like, yo, your son ain't been in school for a year. I was with the Jamaicans, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So for a year, you're keeping it from your pops.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, So I did two years. I did my freshman year, I did my sophomore year. Freshman year, I got all a's. I'm good new school, lou anything I want to focus on in his life, like I'm good.
Speaker 1: You're good.
Speaker 4: I really sit down on one to focus.
Speaker 1: Your focus shifted because I just loved us. I just loved the music so much.
Speaker 4: So like during like the ending of my sophomore year, I started like flunking out in classes and stuff like that, so I just didn't go. So you know, remember I told you that. I told him that I want to transfer the credits, yes, Nigeria, and then he told me go back. Then when I went back, I was in Atlanta for like three days because I wanted to record music. So my phone went off. You know, normally you call me and I don't miss my dad's call because I don't be calling the school or somebody else. So my phone went off and he called the school, like, oh, I don't just talk to my son. He said, ah, here's the one.
Speaker 1: I was not being here for one year. I will never forget that.
Speaker 4: And it was faced that time was like a Facebook erar, I'll never forget my big brother does with me. Daddy knows me, no, no, no Facebook this time you're.
Speaker 1: Calm down, come down, hit you my Space though, so it's like.
Speaker 4: Facebook error that my brother hit me. He like, your dad knows you're gonna be in school. As soon as I started that message, I.
Speaker 1: Said, did your brother know you wasn't in school?
Speaker 4: My siblings news, so they're like, yep, so whatever you want to do, blah blah. So I did to London, and this whole time in London, I'm trying to just figure it out. Like I told you, I was like, can I go back with me? Disappointments I I cops, Then yeah, it's time to go back home.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I got out some money, I recorded some songs. Like I said, I knew the big guess. I just had that type of the bunch. I already knew him from him coming to Atlanta. So I was like, you know what, I'm about to go back home. Don't get out, just be around and just figure it out. As soon as I get off the plane, the army grabbed me.
Speaker 3: Bro oh sure straights. That's when he did get you arrested the last time.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah you didn't arrest me. Show you didn't arrest me. Yes, thought at me to his house. They didn't like coff me up. You know. Yeah, this is some gangster ship ship and it was so crazy.
Speaker 4: So I had this friend I don't want to say his name.
Speaker 1: I know you want to. I'm sorry, I ain't got to join me if I don't ready.
Speaker 4: So I had this friend which was like, you know, and that's talking about loyalty. I've known this guy for like eight years, so he's the only guy in Nigeria I'm telling my movements.
Speaker 1: He definitely rated you out. He told me he collect that money from my doctor, so I'll never forget. So I'm calling.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yo, I learned tomorrow. So you know, I got some bread with me, So hook up the hotel.
Speaker 1: Like I'm I'm lit. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm sixteen. I do like seventy thousand on me. You know what I'm saying. That's just normal.
Speaker 1: You're sixteen.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, this is this. This seventy thousand is my my own, like my own, Like, yo.
Speaker 3: Just take a shot for that seven sixteen, seventy thousands solo solo shit.
Speaker 4: So I'm lit, like I'm calling him like yo, book the hotels were going out tonight. We are blah blah blah. So as soon as I get off the plane, did some like me looking guy just came. He grabbed me by the past. You like pull your past up to me. I'm thinking, like he just did that because I was like sagging my parts, but he was telling me like, oh, you're gonna get your You're gonna get your ass. As soon as I passed with Greshan, I just see that, my friend, he.
Speaker 1: Just does he does this in America, going to America saying you sneak.
Speaker 4: Bro the next thing I just see. I just see my daddy just runs and hugs.
Speaker 1: On two three one two three.
Speaker 4: Ahead, so just see the hogs be like, oh, just like I'm his baby.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: You know my mom passed when I was like, yes, you know, he feels like I'm you know, she left the baby with him, like why do you do?
Speaker 1: What do you want? So that was when I remember when I when I I guess what when I went away?
Speaker 4: He said he caught everybody off, said nobody getting no money until he comes back. So my whole family's writing me or not please hut. He he said no thing for any I said, nothing for anybody.
Speaker 1: My baby boy comes back.
Speaker 2: Because they said you went missing. They didn't know you was when in London he was here and here. That's what I was only talking.
Speaker 4: To like one of my siblings because we were really close.
Speaker 3: So he was here like I was here and there because in a fake documentary they got about you. This is a fake documentary they got about you. They said, yeah, yeah, I had to watch that too. You know, I want to do much here. But they said that you disappeared for a year. Was that that time period?
Speaker 1: It was a year?
Speaker 4: That wasn't I mean I was uploading on Facebook like yeah, just I wasn't not like seven months, I want to say, a year, okay, seven months?
Speaker 1: Seven months okay? Then you return.
Speaker 4: So I got home, he hugs me, We get in the car, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: There's no rose pedals are just feeling like this roses. I'm like, I'm just sorry. I remember.
Speaker 4: I get home right and then everybody get home. So he's the Royal bath, you know, yeah, so so am I You know, you know when you're like you about to you know you got you. I'm sixteen, I'm about to get to Legos.
Speaker 1: I don't called all my baby. We're going out tonight.
Speaker 4: Man. So they we get in the car, we get home, but who fuck me? I did this we got each now you know he's backlip. So my dad he told me he was just talking for me to be home. But I was still being hard headed. I was like, man, no, man, what the.
Speaker 1: Fuck I was young? I was. My brother was looking at me like days, shut the fuck up, and I was like, man, I have my own money.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went to my buck. I brother like, I have my own money. I was to leave, like that's young me. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But you were sixteen. Yeah, so I'm lost now.
Speaker 7: Because you said you you I went to college at fifteen.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, then you're making sense of it.
Speaker 4: My da.
Speaker 3: Collection nageria, you go to college earlier you graduate.
Speaker 2: Because so you must have been the youngest person in your college, my whole school.
Speaker 4: So even when I was going to school, my sister, you know, I told you my sister went to awkward.
Speaker 1: My sister took you one of those shot it's okay, let's give no no yeah, every year.
Speaker 4: So when I was in college, my sister was just like, when you get there, I don't really tell people your age because you wouldn't have fun. Like nobody going to want to hang out with a sixteen.
Speaker 1: Year old well you got that fifteen you're saying, right, yeah, but I ain't.
Speaker 4: Nobody really asked me in school like, oh.
Speaker 2: How do you yes think about how wild that is? Regularly you go to school like me and my mad smarter than us.
Speaker 4: And at the time, like my brother's id. He like, we kind of looked like pastor, like I used these IDs again. That was in the documentary he got they put the basketball. He got it from Sonny. Sonny got a flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Chance. So so.
Speaker 4: My Dad's like, okay, we're gonna do to me and tomorrow. So the next day he calls me off to his room and basically asking me like, oh, why did I run away?
Speaker 1: Like why didn't I just tell him?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, I'm like that I told you you remember, I told him I want to transform my credits. So he's like, you know what, he wants me to go back to school. He really wants me to go back to school. I was like, man, so what's in it for me? Man?
Speaker 3: Didn't you make a compromise like five days a week you go to school?
Speaker 4: You know, I go to school for I'll go to school for thirteen days then I get two days off.
Speaker 1: Every thirteen days and.
Speaker 2: You get two days off to make music. So just make me thirteen days straight including weekdays, right, and.
Speaker 4: I'm like six hours away from the city.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, but if he said, okay, he beat me like a world class studio, he like financially supports me.
Speaker 2: And then he classroom where it was just you know, this guy's about to say you got your own soup right now.
Speaker 1: I've been studying you already, I'm get you already knew what I was saying.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so he was like, okay, that you built me a studio and you like paid for my music career. All I got to do is go to school. I knew I had the records. I knew I had record deal, I knew I had the swag. I knew I had everything. So I was like, but in my head, I'm like, ship, I'm about to go to school for three months blow up.
Speaker 1: And that was my plan.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie like that was my plan because I was also invested in the music.
Speaker 1: So what happened?
Speaker 4: So so he built the studio. Yeah, he was like, yes, land down the road, He's gonna give it to me.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 4: He built me the best studio at the time, the best studio in Nigeria. So how that helped me was that So I started going to school.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: So I called my cousins in the school. So I called my cousins. I'm like, yo, I'm coming to I'm enrolling in Babcock. That's going to school.
Speaker 1: So he's like, yeah, don't worry. I got you. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be going to the city every weekend. Your dad don't got to know. So I'm like, yes, guess for my dad put me the the oh of the school.
Speaker 1: This is his house. The dean did not the dean number one, the owner number one. I'm thinking I'm about to be in the dorm.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, pay off the days and ship people do it. They go to legos every weekend. I said, this is my room.
Speaker 1: This is oh no school.
Speaker 4: Every morning when he's going to walk, the first person is checking this is my room. I said, yeah, I said what, So he put me in the mean you know of the room. I'm like, you know what, I'm just about to tug it out. So like I started going home every like thirteen days. You know what I'm saying. But luckily for me. I had the best studio, so all the artists will come to my studio. Every artist was coming, and then I had a chance to be recording.
Speaker 1: So so it's time for this.
Speaker 4: So he told me after three months, if I behave myself after three months, then he gonna shoot the video.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, shit, I stay down. I fuck it.
Speaker 4: So I was actually even after these three months, I e don't forgot to like I even got tired. I was like, you know what, I'm just about to just finish school and just go work. So if we shot the video, he paid for the video for me. God bless him, you know what I'm saying. That was the start of everything. Shout out to Pops.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, and at that time, that was like the most expensive video at that time. Paid for the video. We dropped it. So when we dropped it, he said, okay, you have you have one day to do your and your promo and then you have to go back to school. Okay, So I did I remember it was like a Sunday. I did the promo on Monday after like doing radio dropping the song, and I got to go back to school four hours away. So I'm like, so I go back to school. I felt like, it's this my phone just run my one of my bridges in school. He said, you, I was in the club last night when they played your song. All the girls were going.
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 4: I said, I said, are you sure? He said, bro, I'm telling you. He said the club the club was shaky. I said what I said, are you sure? So? The next day was classes, right, so we get to class. I walked into class. Everybody's like I was like, shout.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking. I'm like, well, I'm like, I'm sorry, Jamie, we get a chance. Looking, I'm like, should I should I?
Speaker 4: Should I dip now?
Speaker 1: Or should I wait till shoot the second video?
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 1: From pops? Of course? Because you okay?
Speaker 4: So I said another thirteen days. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 4: We about to go to the city like this. This is my first time going back since we've dropped the video everything. So my dad is like, oh, so I can go out. I mean, I've been doing good. I've been to school, go out to the club. When I walk, when I walked.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, this is your first time going this is.
Speaker 4: My first time experiencing film, This is my first time see somebody do, like, is that devyd Like this is my.
Speaker 1: First let's get to it. Just in touch. That was a drug bro like that feeling is it comes on? He wants Yeah, I know that feeling Broy playing in you know when you're in the club. So I'm like, so they're shouting, so I'm in the club.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm just waiting for the DJs to play the record and I'll never forget. The DJ was like, I can hard headed because he just wanted me to recognize him. That's my first time even doing that. But you better go to the DJ booth. You better go to the DJ introduce himself. So I went to the DJ booth. I was like, if you do you know DJs? They were like, oh, you know your record?
Speaker 1: I don't like this DJ. No, you know what?
Speaker 4: He played the record when he played the records crazy running away again.
Speaker 1: The next day, I changed my what is it called when it's going? What's it?
Speaker 4: What's it called when it's gone? Like from there, I'm like, no, but listen it would it happens so quick? Boom boom put up course, queen up, queen up, coen up, cooing up. That's when I start getting shows. That's when the arresting start going. I started getting booking and am I like defence booking and I got like it was like fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I was like ship and fifteen hundred dollars. Then back up home ship it was lit. We get a hotel for like a month. So from then, honey for a month, I.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, Like compay, Like then like compare, let's take a shop for that.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 4: So from then like like shit started getting lit and my dad find out that I've left school again. Yes, so we start getting bookings. You know what I'm saying. I was on the road, on the run again, start getting bookers. I had like a couple of label offers like Nigerian Independent, Nigeria Nigeriani Independent. Labels like offering me because I had a high record. Of course, you know what I'm saying, We're getting club gigs for seven hundred dollars here sh that shit was adding up, you know what I'm saying. Back then, So so one time I got like one of my main bookings. He had like a big or what's it called a.
Speaker 1: Big billboard stage manner. So my dad going to work just seeing my son and.
Speaker 2: Like, what.
Speaker 1: Big new superstar with the hotels record?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so I'm late.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm back stage, I'm you know what I'm saying, sagged out, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know the boys and me. Now you know what I'm saying. Everybody lit just here. I said, what's going on? Where's you?
Speaker 4: And while looking for somebody that's there's been kidnapped, I said, who is kidnapped? I said, you mighty, you'render your parents kill im?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what I did?
Speaker 2: I dip running away, arrested my dan girlfriend at the time. Oh so it's legal that that's the legal thing.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I don't know. It seems like you listen his pops is that next he made I'm not mad at you. You know what I'm saying. We had to deal, yes, yes, So.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying after that, like the arrest of the promoter. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 1: The promoted to booking everybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, booking, if you book, if you book him, if you book him, you game booked?
Speaker 1: Was that hard for you because because because that room to give you a beat.
Speaker 4: It stopped the beast stop immediately he stopped the bag. Any household that I going to do, send you letter from the ideal of police we had that you have been.
Speaker 1: You said, your dad is not in the government. I don't know he's He's a good guy to me. You know what I'm saying, A good guys. I'm not going I was speaking to you on your wall.
Speaker 4: So from there, like everybody was liked and it was us, you know, like when people like they want to be around like, no, they didn't want to be around me. There was just like I don't have no problems with So now I got to start being like I went to the studio. Yeah, I recorded this song, the song that sets me free. So this song called Dammy Duro this is my.
Speaker 1: Breakout means I'm the son of a rich man.
Speaker 4: No, no, son of rich one and my dammy Duro means you can't stop me, okay, And the song it's like, am I dammi Duro and me it means you can't stop me, I'm the son of rich man. This song was so powerful. It was like, I guess what the presidents of the country at that time that.
Speaker 1: Was singing so yes, that's when pop said.
Speaker 4: So when they were when they when they when this record came out, so when they we send the police to arrest me. There was one time they I went to the show, they took me. They put me in the office. Obviously he doesn't tell them like lock me up, like just like hold me. The police phone starts ringing it's my song. I said, it's me, it's me.
Speaker 1: Are you dare? I say, it's me, that's me. So at that moment, that's it.
Speaker 4: So like everybody was calling my dad like just lets him because now they starts enjoying the music.
Speaker 1: The presidence was.
Speaker 3: Like a big thing president of you're at the time or your peraps and say relax, yes, like let's see that was hard, sir my.
Speaker 4: So just like everybody calling him, And honestly, my dad is not that he didn't like entertainment.
Speaker 1: He just really.
Speaker 4: Wanted me to like have something to fall back on because.
Speaker 1: This is not forever and under the radar. I feel like he wants to be under the radar.
Speaker 4: No, definitely, So that song is how he got People knew that, oh yeah this guy ut him. Yeah I did, Oh definitely I casted him. So from that, you know, from that time we got back together. Funny enough, I signed a record deal.
Speaker 1: And I got like thirty no thirty, so I got like, I'm all in your business, my bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got like twenty something. I was don't do us and that's record deal.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget so because I'm like my song's gown.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I need to move forward, all right? Boy oh boy? He called them like, yeah, the contract is over. I'm gonna handle My son called me, this is what we're doing. You're gonna go to school part time. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm good to.
Speaker 4: Support to you. Yeah, he saw the pass on. I mean, you know, I said, father, no time. If that is not what he wanted for me. It became successful, so automatically you be happy. He might not want to show anything, but his friends was telling me, ah, your dad is happier. Yes, like it would like not to like brag like my dad. I was doing so much. Like without him, I wouldn't be here talking to you. But like even with me and my music has opened so much doors for my family, you know what I'm saying. Just even being like connected, you know with me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So that's because you've become like a de facto ambassador. Yes, no to even the whole country.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's beautiful, man, because that's that's what I read somewhere that afterwards your father was very involved with your contracts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like major, like right now now, it's like, you know, I'm older.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying. Let me do my thing.
Speaker 4: But in the beginning of everything, all my endorsements, he would just call them. You said, I can I give my son this money?
Speaker 1: Double it?
Speaker 4: You tell me, don't sign, I'll give you the money.
Speaker 1: I said, all right, Damn, we need to follow like this.
Speaker 3: Drink Champs, I said, your father about the boy drink Champs. Just start the rumor right now it's under Nigeria or we don't care. We don't Daddy, we love you, but we go to we want.
Speaker 1: Whatever we want. Look at my shirt. I'm ready. I'm already signed.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, that's that's a beautiful thing. I'm hold on home because I got mad note home. Your first car was an Audi or was your first car supposed to be an Audi?
Speaker 1: And he was going to sell it? Damn, you know I know my ship. I know my ship.
Speaker 4: So every thirdy were becoming junior in school, like my dad always bidy's like all the kids across. So he brought me every thirty days, every when you becoming junior in college thirty year fucking fuck thirty. My family every thirty. So he bought me like Audi Q seven. But I told you I was so in love with what I wanted. I also focused on the plant.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna sell it and then take the bread and you're gonna flip the car.
Speaker 1: That sounds not Jerry in the meat. You know what I'm saying. I mean, but it never came. Came came, So let me see what happened.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I called the guy, so I'm gonna go back to pick the car, right, So I go so walking to Audi. So he about to give me the keys. He's like, oh hold on, but at this time, my dad already knows I'm not in school, so he's like, oh hold on, your dad is calling. I'm like, so the guy does like this, Oh hello hello doctor delegate.
Speaker 1: Oh really. M As soon as he started saying that, I started bunking up, like.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna find I never got the cardough no, but eventually, like he shifted.
Speaker 1: Your father is the Tony.
Speaker 4: I got my degree though, graduated in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna I want to say when they're gonna make the movie about you, but I keep thinking about it.
Speaker 1: It's really about you and your father, the whole family.
Speaker 3: He's the Tony sopranos Nigerians Yo, that that motherfuckers?
Speaker 7: Hell?
Speaker 1: Holy yeah holy.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you though, because your story is unique in your story and I'm sure there's similar stories, what is the average young Nigerian that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Come from the wealthy family? Okay?
Speaker 2: How many artists have broken out like you? From that point, I mean should say the truth?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think honestly, you know, you know, it's crazy to see because when I came out, it was years or years of yeah, he's just he's just because of his dad's money. You talk me, I'm doing eighty songs back to back all here you talking about that money. And then eventually, like you know, a lot of people have money Nigeria that people that in najoy that reach out of my dad. Do you understand that have chiudure entertainers but they're not on date by God like me. You know what I'm saying. Money has nothing to do with my success. You know what I'm saying. You know how like in America, if you're from somewhere, you appreciate it day right. But I'm telling you every corner of Nigeria, rich or poor, I'm appreciated, you know what I'm saying, just because of the way I live my life. You know, a lot of people that are from the hood Nigeria can't go to the places that I can go. Do you know what I'm saying. People you know, come from the wood and want to escape. I never want to go back. You know what I'm saying. It's not like America. I know who do If you go to who you call, I starts hating on you like you're out. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's not like that.
Speaker 4: Like love, like even we charity, like you know, on my birthday, like one of the things that you know showed me like damn, like people really appreciate me. On my birthday. On my twenty ninth birthday, we was in Dubai and I wanted this watch. So I told my boys everybody doing.
Speaker 1: This money for the watch that I wanted. I liked this idea, so so.
Speaker 4: I ended up like making like a group chats and like people were like, you know, sending money. So we went to the club that night. I got drunk as hell. I went to dobac on me. I said, fuck that, I'm about to tweet my account. You take my accounts num by. In forty eight hours, I got sent six hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Cash.
Speaker 3: You understand how this works? Can't said that again, because I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I just needed to be. I woke up.
Speaker 4: He's saying that how much love he got? I tweeted my account number like your fans, yes on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Damn, I'm not sure fucking with me like that. I might.
Speaker 3: I definitely get a cassio. I ain't get what would you borrow six hundred thousands?
Speaker 4: So so you know, in forty eight hours, I got about six hundred and fifty thousand dollars. No, no, no, no, no, no, my bad, I'm sorry. I got I'm what was fifteen million dollars? You know I did my own fifo.
Speaker 1: No no, no, how damn no. Not this new exchangery too, not the new exchange right, that exchange that that I was like four into so called the milk fans. So I got like, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 4: So I got like, I go like, I think I'll say four hundred and something thousand right cash in the account fans. People were sending one dollar. Everything was even the ones I was sending five dollars. People were sending ten thousand, people were sending seventy thousand. It was I didn't know, boy boy, And then my dad called me, you know you can't keep that money.
Speaker 1: Righted to hell.
Speaker 4: So you know what I'm saying, like, no, I don't need this, Why you don't need this? Why are you keeping the money? I think you should donate to all the motherless baby's homes in nineteen So what what happening on? So what we did was I got four hundred thousand, then I added another one hundred and fifty thousands of my money to make it six hundred.
Speaker 1: That's why I was six fifty.
Speaker 4: And we're doing it to all the motherless baby's homes in Nigeria.
Speaker 1: So it's something I planned to continue to do every year.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you, did your father ever explain why it was inappropriate for you to keep that money.
Speaker 4: He was saying that this is already showing you how much people love you. You know what I'm saying you you you know what I'm saying. You buy, You buy the watch, you buy the car they watch. That's after six months you get out of wearing it. You know what I'm saying. You don't need the money. You get that money and if you do a show and an appearance, do the right thing.
Speaker 1: That's okay, let's do.
Speaker 4: So we made a committee like a comedee, my auntie, my dad was involved, some people from the church as well. So you made a committee to go around to all the because it's thirty six states in Nigeria, so to go around to all the motherless babies homes in Nigeria and you know, make sure that it's real, because anybody can just send that accounts and be like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So that took like two months.
Speaker 4: Then we finally, you know, did it donated all six hundred and fifty thousand loss to the last them.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you, because during this whole interview, I'll be seeing you be switching accents, right, I don't know if you're doing on purpose or if it's just going out right. When you order room service three o'clock in the morning, Hello, key, connect.
Speaker 1: Me to room service. Can I get a Burger Buffalo with some tougher five?
Speaker 4: And then when I'm in Atlanta, Hey, hey, let me get that lemon pepper.
Speaker 1: You don't like Atlanta every time? Atlanta? Holy shit? Oh man, I love it Lanta. No huh yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: Like I mean, I perform like it's like to do this, like this darker series. And you know I wasn't coming to America too. I'm in the movie what yeah, what part in the part of the wedding. I'm the one performing on the stage.
Speaker 1: Now, she's your queen, not that boy? Yeah no, no, no, I don't know. I'm in the movie. I remember it was dope to shoot what it was in Rick Ros's crib.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: We started at Tyler Perry Studio. Oh not Zimonda, not at all. Yeah. I remember being on set.
Speaker 4: So you know Eddie Murphy, he be Addie Murphy, he be he'd be acting different characters. Oh yeah, he'd knew that I was shooting me Eddie Mourphy for two days. I did you know that that was him? It was behind me. I don't know, I forget so like when it was like my last shot, you say, he said, yo, d Lou, I said, yeah, so it was.
Speaker 1: Just amazing to see you two days. What character there was? He he was, he was active. This is the the the guy that sings the old school Yeah, the Jerry Curves chocolate. Yeah so that. But he was like, you know what I'm saying. When you're shooting, you know you don't even but you ain't see coming to America one. But I didn't. Didn't hits me. He was like, no, no, no, I watched. I watched the one.
Speaker 4: But like I'm just excited to be that I'm shooting. I'm doing my job, doing what I gotta do. I really trying to do.
Speaker 1: No extra ship.
Speaker 3: You know why I would have knew because the sexual chocolates from Jackson Heights Queens. I'm from Black Rock City Queens, and I would have remembered them. Motherfuckers hed a.
Speaker 1: Sexual chocolate from Jackson Heights, Like that was dope. No black people in Jackson Heights. It was live this old time. Yeah I got that.
Speaker 3: No God, no, no, I say that there's some black people in jack His Heights. Very few it's a lot of Colombians, a lot of Columbians, a lot of Mexicans.
Speaker 4: Love New York though, yes, like after the A, I love being New York. I love his city life.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I'm saying, what do you what do you stay in New York? Like a hotel? I know, what's your hotel?
Speaker 4: My best hotel? I don't know if I say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm just gonna say the Plaza Hotel. That's where Eddie murk Vingham stayed at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good morning. That was in the hood. No, my neighbor, but he was in the hood. No, no, no, no, that was in Queens.
Speaker 3: And I'm talking about where they stayed at the where the wall. There was the Waldorf, I said, the Plaza. You know it was the Waldorf, which is closed by the way. Yeah, they renovated for ten years. They were renovating a story, right, world over story? Do they have a world over story?
Speaker 4: But we got like a Hilton, we got married out I hair, we got an Intercontinental.
Speaker 1: And how do how do we pronounced? It's legos le legos legos And it's so like you say say like you say, layover.
Speaker 3: Lego, legos legos Okay, I got it. And what's my other ship? When it's over, I'm becoming Nigeria. Give me a credit card number.
Speaker 1: I forgot this. I got this.
Speaker 3: Holy Holy, you got a shot there. I'm sorry, miss me, and you take a shot.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm sorry, man, But for real, man, hold on what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Man, what you accomplished. It's so beautiful man, Like I said, you didn't you didn't. You didn't have to do this lifestyle you.
Speaker 1: Could have been.
Speaker 3: And the fact that you came and I can tell this to your passion, the fact that you're living out your passion.
Speaker 1: That's like such such a beautiful fucking thing, man, Like you know what I mean. I want to salute that. Man. We should all sue that because because that's just beautiful.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: And and the fact that like you had great parents. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I got a great you know, recipes to your mother as well, we had a great father, and you still pursued it like he tried to stop.
Speaker 1: So what was the point where you felt like you made it?
Speaker 4: I think I think in in in everybody's story, I think they are different points, Yeah, where you felt like you made it right, But like I'm telling you that the first feeling I told you guys about when my.
Speaker 1: Friend called me and told me that he was in the club.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and the girls were going that first feeling Kabolie once it doesn't call me game because.
Speaker 1: But that was him hearing it. You heard it. I told you I went in the club. Oh you club? No, I want him hearing the club. Like all of that was that feeling, that moment.
Speaker 4: And I've had like different moments in my career recently, like like this my my latest album that just came out, that has been a defining moments. The first time I sold out an international arena, that's been in defining moments. You know what I'm saying, It's just beautiful, Like every country I go to. Like one of my first dope movements, I remember I was like wow, Like I got booked up for a show in Rwanda and the president came to pick me up from the Wow. Like those were like I'm just trying to give you like dope moments. So I'm like I'm like, damn, my music go to be here, Like those are one of the first dope movements. Like when I first bought my first Rose Wars that was a dope.
Speaker 1: Moment, you know, with your own money, with my own needs to be my own money.
Speaker 4: Just you know everything, just being able to just even though like my family is well off, like being able to just provide for my friends, being able to provide for my my wife, right for my kids.
Speaker 1: It's just dope.
Speaker 4: And you know what I'm saying, especially when it's like I always just believed, like called me crazy, but like I always just knew. It's like I just knew that I knew, like I'm going to be greats. I'm going to be greats. I don't know anything to happen, but like then go to happen quick for me?
Speaker 3: We need to ask because like in Africa, we always know that they got multiple wives.
Speaker 1: Now is that Muslim thing?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: That's like no, actually some Christians do it, to Christian Stewards to do it too.
Speaker 3: But you want one man, one one Yes, I got yeah, yeah, he born in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: You know his dad life, his dad about that life.
Speaker 4: Actually funny enough, my dad he's the one woman person.
Speaker 2: Yes, how did you get How did you were you born in Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Like how did that happen?
Speaker 4: So my grandfather was a Senator. My grandfather, so he like most of the kids, like you always send them to American Like my dad went to University of Kentucky, Bowling Green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's generation. Yeah, this is the one thing that we know. Rich Africans send their kids the white schools.
Speaker 1: Let's just be clear. Let's just be clear. You know you're not doing the whole cup. Oh yeah, we get you a whole another drink right.
Speaker 2: There, thank you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so my dad school in Kentucky. My dad and my mom actually first met in London. Oh yeah, so that my mom is from the like South South parts of Nigeria, a place called Eddo states.
Speaker 1: My dad is Yuro.
Speaker 4: So I'm from two different tribes, actually like three. So I'm Ebo. My grandma is evil, my dad is.
Speaker 1: In twenty one savage ego. I think I think. I think it's Nigeria too, Yeah, twenty one, I think. I think. Let me not, you know, I don't want to get ship.
Speaker 4: My daughter and my mom met in London, and they know they got together and then they you know, at a lot times, I've always been in this love like young people.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: So my mom actually did her masters and Clerks Clark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow. So you know, America has always been a thing for my family. You know, we've always been coming out here crazy. If I was all, stay out there America.
Speaker 2: Now, learn what you got and to go back take it back and took another shot.
Speaker 1: I want another shot. Then he took another shot. He took a shot.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: I just love the way that I just grew up in both places. Like trust me, the exposure has helped a lots do.
Speaker 2: But if you have a choice, America or Nigeria to take a shot, I take a shot.
Speaker 1: Should you shouldn't have influenced.
Speaker 3: I thought he was gonna say Nigeria, right, I don't like to take a shot.
Speaker 4: You like what I in my creative space, especially like when I'm recording. I feel like I for the best music when I'm back home.
Speaker 1: Do you do you live in Nigeria now?
Speaker 4: I live in Nigeria, I live in Atlanta. I basically live in three places. London, Nigeria, and Atlanta have houses everywhere.
Speaker 1: We don't we don't, yeah, we don't.
Speaker 2: We don't live in but like mainly mainly Nigeria, mainly Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Hey, calm be trying to get me get an apartment. I thought you told me you were about land. Yeah, I think I'm making apartments. No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: Where he's at Sego. He ain't get me to buy a land in synagogue. He's trying to get me get a condo where I forget where it is. But where would you recommend if I was said.
Speaker 4: I mean right now, like real estate, right now, I would say Legos. You know, you know people have really been building some new dope investments. Yeah, very good investments. You can get a place for like but right now, like my building, Like if you can buy a place for like one point.
Speaker 1: Five Jesus, that's not the investment. I need one point five thousands, I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: But you can pip it, you can get you sell it, sell it for like four million. I mean, I'm telling you very good investments like my knee house down building. Now, you know, for me and my wife, it's about the beat is by this called Eco Atlantic.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like Cabo Mexican thing. I'm a Mexican team I'm in. Yeah. And it's on the beach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's and like it's like water. It's quite dope good and I love good beauties and crazy amazing right crazy, So we sold.
Speaker 1: I'm sold, You're sold. What are you buying? I mean, he come, Uh, that's fine, you've been, You've been champion. Ain't come. I'm gonna here. Now you're gonna go. Now you might might, I might man, I gonna buy yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean African brothers. Let's do the first the dream jams deal with his dad and then drink is gonna buy us out and they ain't company just playing. It's all good man.
Speaker 3: So okay, obviously we say, uh, Nigeria, h Legos, Lagos. Right, what's another place that if a person never been to Africa you recommended they visit?
Speaker 1: Definitely Ghana? Ghana.
Speaker 4: I feel like I told you Legos is like New York. So it's just like if you if you're telling somebody you're going to America America for the first time, Like you can go to New York, but that's not the only place you want to go. You know, New York is fast. Legos is literably fast.
Speaker 1: Right. Oh well, Ghana is like I'll.
Speaker 2: Say, like more like La And this is all central Africa, right west Africa west west central west west just west.
Speaker 4: Yes by the coast. Okay, so God really dope. I recommend setting God where a carter is from.
Speaker 1: I recommend not the Congo. I've seen doctor.
Speaker 4: I wanted to go for coming home, Like I said, you see doctor, but like I've been to the Congo where they are good parts.
Speaker 2: To really yeah, that's why. Remember there's a there's a I had a DJ from Congo.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to talk about it. I was like, they had a lot of civil wars in the eighties and the eighties, and like, let.
Speaker 4: Me tell you what what has been happening recently in Africa? Like the people they wake it up? Boy, they're playing, they like protesting, you know, so like the United States is changing.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, hey man, I'm gonna marry man that you know they're from where my wife is from. Because the Cubans were there wherever my wife from.
Speaker 4: That's why it was beautiful girls out that.
Speaker 1: Man, right, God damn, holy moly, guacam only you said, no, you're wakam only. It's the lea. I want to go to Liberia. Have you been the library? In the library, amazing place. They loved me, love me, even though they had a crazy civil war there too. It's stable now, right, I.
Speaker 4: Know the president yeah, gee, it was a it was a soccer player. That's the president now, George body aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a soccer player and now he's president. Yeah. Type of life is there, your Libera. It was wild back in the day. And damn, Sonny's not here. She's like, no, no, no, he's Asian.
Speaker 3: I've been yeah, no, no, yeah, I went to twenty. When you performed in Hayy, that's my next question. Look, and you are that's how you know you you're on point. Go ahead, well, Goad, you performed the hate Hadies do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The experience that yo, the love was so much just I just remember like just driving up the hills to the hotel.
Speaker 1: Well, when you go up, the further you go up, the bricherd gets up. All all the rich people in Haiti living up in the mountains. What's cool?
Speaker 4: You know, it's just sad to see what's been happening with them.
Speaker 1: Reset It's tragic.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I was meant to actually go back to another gig, but then they had to cancel it because it was just, you know, crazy, thisess happened.
Speaker 1: Jesus Man, we gotta go to Haiti. Man Dream Champs, gotta go to Haiti. I'm gonna going to hate I'm going.
Speaker 2: Haiti, Nigeria, Nigeria. You're like, every year I do a festival for your birthday. No, no, no, I'm doing a festival in Atlanta this year.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about that too, o.
Speaker 4: So you know you have to see that g with Atlanta at Legos. You know those are like the two cities that you know kind of like mooded me, like to who I am? So I was like, you know, I want to do a festival that you know I can bring that. You have artists, African artists. I don't have an opportunity to come to America, you know, to perform every year. So we're gonna be doing that every year in November. So this year it's gonna be at the State Farm Marina in Atlanta, November eighteenth.
Speaker 1: Who you got so far locked in? I mean me and then uh we got like we got kids down there. But no about to like switch it.
Speaker 3: Up because you know it's gonna be like African artists with Crunk artists and Atlanta artists.
Speaker 4: I think that's gonna be like the surprise guest Okay, I'm gonna have like my brothers come out but African now. But like I have dreams of like in the future collaborating doing like away fast movie with like a Latina artist, you know, surprise guest, or like with the hip hop artist one year, you know, to you know, cult your class.
Speaker 1: Right, that'd be dope.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you because Michael Blacksman, he always eats food food.
Speaker 1: I don't like the way he eats food for how does he It's like my fungo. How does he eat with his hand is the same thing. It's not even that he eating his hand, it's just it's so yeah, okay, so explain to people who love I.
Speaker 4: Mean, there's like there's you know, you have a different type of.
Speaker 1: Don't we have a Cuban but it's a planting soup, a planting soup. Okay, yeah, but foo they make it from planting. We have a Cuban soup like that Cuban food crazy.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's really there's two types of delicacies and that you have. There's like no more like rice dishes planting. And there's a movie called Swallow.
Speaker 1: He's saying, pause, Yeah, okay, it wasn't ready.
Speaker 4: Like they make like there's like food food, there's pound, there's Ebba, Like my favorite is Ebba. I don't know what what they call gary.
Speaker 1: He's like, which is Yuka? Right? Yuka? You like.
Speaker 4: You do that with like the you know Okra like okra. So they have like the Okra soup. It's nice, spy see put some crabs in that bitch. So so is that your favorite?
Speaker 1: That's my favorite?
Speaker 3: Put some crab, Put some African your favorite? No, I like eb the okra one about with the crab, with the crab. I like your enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about.
Speaker 3: Not because I'm not gonna lie. My friend Hollywood, he know Michael black you know Drake Yeah, the boxer. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to you. That's that's my brother. I grew up with him.
Speaker 2: He from the he's from the same building as as the same section as me, from the same.
Speaker 1: Block section two.
Speaker 3: He's a part of He's not Jerian, even though don't text him because if we don't want to be telling them no fake well he knows. But the way him and Michael Blacksman eat fool fool, I don't want to try because they be ugly.
Speaker 1: The way before he's laying by, I'm taking all my your you off before you top or they still they be still trying to be cool. Yeah yeah, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like how you eat crabs, you put you put the bed on, no people nob noh okay, sweat sweating Okay, I'm practicing practice old water okay.
Speaker 1: On the sun all right.
Speaker 4: So that's my favorite from that, like plantation.
Speaker 3: But if I eat food for my first spirits, where should I eat it at?
Speaker 1: Yeah? At home, close to the bedroom. But you definitely don't want to eat food for and like go to the club. That's not the way this works because because you're gonna go to the club.
Speaker 4: Two thirty years right right, Well, the speakers like, I'm glad I didn't listen to the mother.
Speaker 1: They gotta love enjoy, trust me.
Speaker 4: It's the best food to eat after good like you want to go.
Speaker 1: To bed right after the club? Is a good food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the subsorbs the liquor and take it because you know there's.
Speaker 4: Pepe needs to go to the liquor stuff. There's another thing we have called suya to. It's one of my most famous dishes. It's like cut up steak, but it's like roasted and it's like the special pepe suya too.
Speaker 1: It's called I said suya to like also like we made we made us ship. No, you made would that's the new that's big bon yo to.
Speaker 4: They got vegan, they got you veganism. Yeah, so they have like vegan spots.
Speaker 1: He don't know nothing about it.
Speaker 4: You know why because the church I go to seven the Advents, they eat a lot of toyo tofu, making like make it look like burgers. And me, yeah, I grew up. My dad's my dad don't eat you know, mean justly fish.
Speaker 2: He's peccantarianly fish him too, me too, you know boris boris.
Speaker 1: For no meat at all, no mean.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: I need me a burger. I need you a don't tell me you eat pork. Yeah, he don't listen. I would to eat. I wouldn't eat. I want to eat like a like a pork ass Like I want to eat like a pork like Bill.
Speaker 4: But I have a pepperoni pizza.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of Muslim brothers tell me that same thing. I want to eat it like red meat, And I'm having a pepperoni pizza. Were having a pepperoni pie.
Speaker 2: That's the one thing anywhere in the world, just in New York, Like in New York is acceptable pepperoni and ship.
Speaker 1: Everywhere Italy, Italy blood. You know what I'm saying. Fuck you ain't pepperoni? Bro. I eat pepperoni in twenty one years? Bro, yesterday?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 1: You have to take a joke? He really don't. He really don't even read me. I ha been ate oxtail. No steak, that's none, that's newer. Read me you that's a newer thing, know what you mean? Twenty one years yes, yeah, no steak, no, no, no, none of that. So you close to me with a prescantarian show. I eat chicken, y'all. I ain't chicken.
Speaker 3: Read me, I eat chicken. I hainte turkey burgers from from Cheeseburger. Baby is slamming from turkey Burger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, because you know, I'm too changed.
Speaker 3: It was funny because to Change was trying to get him on the show so much, and then to Change finally came here and I had time that day. He was like, Yo, let's go to Carbone and then you know car you know carbon is but yeah, it's like a fasty restaurant.
Speaker 1: Cool. I was like, it's great today to changes.
Speaker 3: I just want to go have a turkey burger, I said, I hug you up with reservations with Carbone and two changes, like nah, let's go. And we went and had twelve dollars burgers and like we sat down and like and it was delicious.
Speaker 1: They let us smoke back there. It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Cheezburger Baby is one of my favorite malls on earth, not not not one of my favorite burgers or one of my favorite males. It's just it's just so dope. Like you go there, it's fresh. They make it whatever you do, like they make it for you right then and there.
Speaker 2: And it's like and it's this is littles, this little a little establishment.
Speaker 1: It's a little you know, I don't want a piece of he just he's Burger Baby.
Speaker 3: Steph, Steph wherever you yeah, yeah, but listen, but listen this other restaurants. Finger licking pick up to my boy class looking this carbone. Huh this house some house some no no no, they just closed this location, close that location.
Speaker 1: Because Nigeria.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make sure, you know, he know, because I want to just say he's Nigerian. You know, you know, it's like like calling somebody from Brooklyn from the Bronx like yo, yeah, yeah, yeah you from Brooklyn the Bronx like you know, so you can't do that, you can't do But like all right, so let me that that's that's that's a great question because you said in Nigeria there's different states. It's not different baroughs, just like here, I got no not but but I'm saying you would think just like here Africa. But no, no, their country. There is a whole country, their country with states six states, thirty six.
Speaker 1: States thirty six like Miabis thirty six. So about how big it is? Remember, Africa is a humongous something humongous countries in it. You have you haven't, David, I haven't been to every state and I wow.
Speaker 3: You know, haven't been to everything. I realized that recently. I haven't been all over Queens. I've missed like you're sucking up seven spots, You've got it.
Speaker 1: I've never been. But this is like this, that's a country. You said, you you know you haven't been, No, don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've been to every state probably about maybe seventy percent, sixty five percent.
Speaker 1: But I don't think I've been sing like every state. You gotta roll you a bigger joint. Nigerian blunts.
Speaker 4: They don't want me to get well. But guess what, you know what I actually like like my blunts. I like it hot, right, I like the hot. Yeah, so I like it like I like it like like halfway.
Speaker 1: So you don't smoke blunts. No, I used to use ice ice Actually, what was it? What was that? Green world? Grabber? No, no, grab not backwards Phillies, Dutch Master, Dutch my master. Yeah, I used to do myself.
Speaker 2: That stop.
Speaker 1: Your for real. Regardless of what happens, we didn't do Dream Champs in Nigeria. Yeah, sure, so don't do it.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do it in my penthouse overlooking the city. We got it, and then we're gonna have another conversation. Definitely, I would like to, you know, bring creatives, bring Yeah, you know, I really want you guys to come and experience my country. Yes, definitely, like you know what, not three time. I really want you guys to come. You know, I'm gonna take you all to the best parts. I'm gonna take you.
Speaker 1: All to the worst, Let's do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's take a shot, because that means that means this is a deal we're locking in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know what, because I also like taking them to the part. So you really appreciate, you know, once you guys have here, absolutely and you understand that you know the goal it's to you know, so many creatives, so many creatives back, I do have the opportunity to showcase, you know, what they're doing. So apart from it was just you know, extending my legacy, I feel like I'm an obligation to promote the culture.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that, I love that. I love that.
Speaker 3: Before we get up out of here, but what are some of the heroes of Nigeria Like definitely felt out Uti.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah, the whole family, they got a whole family, you know.
Speaker 4: Definitely fell out cutie to be honest, when we have really had the best leaders. So I wouldn't want to mention anybody in politics like that. I feel like I'm a hero.
Speaker 1: Would you ever get into politics?
Speaker 4: I think so, yeah, maybe, like later on, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So if I moved it to Nigerry, I could vote for you you have to, yes.
Speaker 2: But I got to move there, right, Hey, you have to I can't vote for you from America, right right, I would have to move there, right, I can't vote for you from America.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you have to be a citizen. You can't just vote. But I'm gonna become a citizen before. Yeah, you're about to buy it. You won't give me the hook up? You get to one point five million dollars condo over there? Yeah, I am get that. You call credit good to that job that we're talking about. God damn it. Take one more shot and got the ticket. You already come on, guy, damn Because you don't trust Jamie with your mama Maana.
Speaker 2: That's the only reason why you ain't gonna are you about the only nigga.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: I don't trust nobody with that trust Jamie Solot Love.
Speaker 1: So do you like Sativo? What's Indica? What's I don't smoke? I thought you no me, it's me. Is it legal in Nigeria?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: But I've seen, like I've seen a couple of bills in the Senate trying to legalize it medically.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not.
Speaker 2: Legal Yeause if I got my medical card I got my medical car over there.
Speaker 3: It works in Madrid, though, really, yeah, what the funk out Florida is the l state.
Speaker 1: I don't believe. What are you talking about? Florida.
Speaker 2: Medic here works in Madrid, a lot of places in Europe, yeah, and Thailand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Florida's out of nowhere. Listen, listen, listen, I give you this. Listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 3: You know New York, but my residents I lived out here for the last fifteen years. One thing about Florida is they foul when they get what they want. They listen, like legal here, yeah, no, no, no, it's medical.
Speaker 1: Medical. But the way that Miami works is legal.
Speaker 3: But but I when you when you get a medical card, you can't go to like all right, so let's suppose you have a a New York medical card. You can only go to like fourteen different states, like Miami, whatever state it is. If it's legal, you can go if you have They don't got, they don't even got. Yeah, no, no, no, it's okay in New York. In New York is called recreational.
Speaker 1: That's different.
Speaker 4: I went to I was in the Diamond District. Yes, I came out and I was smoking I've seen a cop.
Speaker 1: I ran to the car.
Speaker 4: The cop was like, yo, calm down, yeah you ran like I don't like. I don't like I don't like police. I bet the couple.
Speaker 1: I don't like trouble.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want to enjoy my life, but but it can't be the same. Getting pulled over in Nigeria is the same.
Speaker 1: Words to be honest, you can't get I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You pick up worst maybe out here. I mean you know the average person I'm saying for that, yes, yes, yes it's probably worse.
Speaker 4: Yes, we've had previously, We've had, you know, protests previously, you know, police problems. But you know you can't you know what I'm saying, Like there's good Coup.
Speaker 1: Says, but yeah, without saying personally just because of.
Speaker 4: My starts us, I haven't really experienced problem, but I think, yes, the average citizen do see it.
Speaker 1: Right, But I'm not going out there without calling you.
Speaker 2: I'm checking fully, I'm picking you up now, but you should step away for a second, be the average citizen.
Speaker 1: No, you probably playing how they I mean playing maybe straight to the beach. I want to want to go, I want to go to the radio. Amazing done, We.
Speaker 2: Already were stilify. We're doing Drink Champs in Nigeria. Yeah, we just we went on you to tell us when it's whatever he wants to whenever we have to. Definitely his next video we're doing I'm playing with my team. Yes, no, no, they might not let.
Speaker 1: You go back home.
Speaker 2: I can I in buy some of the South African artists. I met de Kowal. No, no, keep your people. I'm amazing artist in South Africa.
Speaker 1: Keep me so South Africa, South Africa.
Speaker 4: I stopped mixing. It's all the same South Africa. Yeah, bro, even like we have musicians. I walked in the little South Africa musicians.
Speaker 2: Even we said, I met some of the pioneers out there.
Speaker 4: Did you give me I know you met black Coffee. No I did not, But I give me what's his name Mosquito? No exactly, man, that's that's what that's the real, that's the real godfather of.
Speaker 1: Mosquito.
Speaker 6: Nah.
Speaker 1: But we was in Joe burd We went to like the hood where he would have Cape Town. Yeah. Absolutely, Cape Towns looked like Miami.
Speaker 2: It looks but but you know, no, but what's crazy is it looks like Miami, but it's more hood than Joe Berg. What I haven't been because when we went there, the army was in the hood. It was like having problems. Yeah, yeah, no, we we went out there, shout out to de koalas one of the artists out there.
Speaker 1: I met a bunch of artists. It was there for like a week. Yeah, it was dope. It was dope. You Legos Legos saying let it go. I'm playing, man, I'm playing.
Speaker 3: But I'm definitely going to Legos man drink chances about giving people they flowers.
Speaker 1: Man, we really love man. Thank you man for.
Speaker 2: Whether it's afrobeach, whether it's regged thon, whether it's dancehall. We all want community music. It's all music. We all want culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before that much, what do you like better writing the music or performing? And you ran into say that.
Speaker 4: Thank you really to be honest, ah, Because to be honest, the reaction of people reacting to the music is a beautiful feeling the process of making the music. It's cool, but like it's stressful a little bit because you want it perfect. But to me it's so cool, like how like how the album just came out? But like the cool thing to me is like how my boys be around and they're like, man, we heard we heard the song for two years and it's out, and yeah, I seen it's blew up like not try like a product, you know what I'm saying, Just like you really see the products and you see it blowing up like a baby. And then just even though it like like even with the producers they like they do that are co produced, like one of the biggest records of the album, like the beautiful feeling of when I was telling him like, hey, man, you know you about.
Speaker 1: To be right, telling the producer yeah yeah, and then me I'm seeing him. He's going crazy going out every night.
Speaker 4: Like so just even like seeing somebody going from zero two hundred, that's like it's like magic, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's beautiful to see. I feel like you said both. It's good you feels like you said both. They feel like you say both. So yeah, I think both. Yeah. I can't lie. I used to. I used to.
Speaker 3: I think it was making the music because I could sit there and perfect it and I'm not a perfectionist. But then recently I just did a show in Las Vegas. I don't I don't even know why I took it, but I should you know.
Speaker 1: You said you don't know why you took it. You know, I don't really like to performing no more. I don't like doing nothing no more. It looked amazing. For That's what I'm saying. Let me finish, my boy. It was a good feeling. I got back on stage.
Speaker 2: I was I knew I was a I was like, oh, I was like, oh I missed this ship in the crowd going like that, I was like, oh I've been I've been frying.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the crowd went crazy and I loved it. But man, I can't thank you enough. Man, like yo, man, thank you for pleasure.
Speaker 4: Man like you guys, my boys like literally like watch you guys like everywhere every I have. One of my close friends name is fresh Al, So he's very big on like podcasts. He's always said to me, you know link links.
Speaker 1: Look at these idiots you are.
Speaker 3: You are first afro beat cardist. Man, let's make some more. But but before we get up out of here, because I heard you say that earlier. You said because I said afrobeats, and you said what you considered? What was the name that you can know us?
Speaker 4: I used to say, just a future just because definitely like just afro beat Africa music.
Speaker 1: But you know what I'm saying, like I told you we were already you know, but what was it you called it before that it was it was an African word. It was like I was like, yeah, just making up word that it was something.
Speaker 3: You know, it was something like I said afrobeats And I say, you didn't like that. You was like you called it such and such. But then he said yeah, he was like I gave up. Okay, cool, no problem afrobeats. But man, we can't thank you enough. Man, you want to do one more shot. I feel like you will do.
Speaker 1: I feel like you do the culture on James that God damn it. I think you guys do.
Speaker 3: Like you know, this is your home. Anytime you want to promote you your artists. You know what I'm saying, your new.
Speaker 1: House, your third house, your third house. You just want an alligator. We don't give a helicopter. We're gonna come, We're gonna we're gonna hold you the helicopter.
Speaker 3: Yo, yo, man, thank you for being our first motherfucking afro beat artists.
Speaker 2: And genuine story and genuine Are we talking about the money and all that ship?
Speaker 1: Story was genuine. Story is genuine.
Speaker 2: Your heart is music, it is culture, and you went through, You went through the ship to get to where you.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you something to hold on, hold on, hold damn, then hold on. Let me tell you something. Experiment. Experiment I did. I would go downstairs and I would play sous of music and I'll play reggae music for my neighbors.
Speaker 2: And I realized they would never say ship to me. I play sousa music and I played reggae music, and I just realized that that was universal music.
Speaker 1: It's the percussion, bro, And you know what the New South and the new that we that's what we all have in common. Let's understand this. Understand this, bro, take over.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying for me as a Cuban, the culture the Caribbean, it's food and percussion.
Speaker 4: Seeing these difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, the food and the percussion is all coming from Africa.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Now, we got afrobeats and reggaeton to take take over, and we still got reggae music. Don't don't dance. We still got reggae drinking and drink.
Speaker 2: It though, drink Champs is a Drink Champs LLC production in association with Interval Presents. Hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e FN from Interval Presents executive producers Alan Coy and Jake Kleinberg. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours Truly, dj e FN and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms, at the Real noriegon ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com